PDA

View Full Version : Big Visits Today

etk
03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Cato June, Chris Draft & Charles Grant all visited today.

June is the only one that isn't old news, and I'm not sure what plans we would have with him if he signed. He is not very physical as a LB and he definitely can't play SLB for us, so if we signed him it would be a waste if he was a backup. I wouldn't mind signing him to play S, his old college position and original drafted position. He has the speed to play safety for us, and he would be an above-average hitter at the very least for the position.

Draft is probably the most likely Buc of the 3, but those are all proven defensive players, so this is pretty exciting.

Caddy
03-16-2007, 05:57 PM
June could probably come cheap, so using him as a backup wouldn't be that bad.

Chucky
03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
june will not come cheap, i am sure of that

etk
03-16-2007, 10:04 PM
june will not come cheap, i am sure of that

I agree, he has put up some good numbers over the past 2 years, especially INT numbers, so he will get his cut. Just because he hasn't signed yet doesn't mean he's cheap, especially with the new salary cap. He just hasn't found the right home for the right price yet, but it will come for him. It's probably not Tampa though.

SpinaMan
03-16-2007, 10:26 PM
The Bucs are not expected to try to sign Charles Grant to an offer sheet.

By hosting him Friday, Tampa was reportedly getting acquinted with the Saints' franchise player, as he may be available on the free agent market in 2008 or 2009. The Bucs aren't willing to forfeit two first-round picks.

www.rotoworld.com is the source.

I like this move...if we play our cards right this draft we can have a good draft after CJ

etk
03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Charles Grant=Buccaneer 2008. All the more reason not to draft Gaines Adams :D

Big Mike
03-16-2007, 10:31 PM
omg. whats next for the colts LB staff. June's leaving [headshake]

Chucky
03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
do u guys think june would be open to switching to safety, and would he be able to adapt quickly enough

etk
03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't think he wants to regress back to being a safety. I mean linebacker is the most glorious position in football, and I would be hurt if a coach wanted me to revert back to being a safety. That actually happened before, and let's just say I was better suited for OLB.

Seriously, linebackers make more money than safeties, and why would he want to switch. If we signed him and asked him to do that, we would be implying that he's not good enough to start at LB on our team. I don't think he will take that kindly.

Bucsfan
03-17-2007, 01:13 AM
June a backup? lol, June come cheap? even bigger lol

the reason he hasnt been signed is cause he wants big money, and he would be alot more than a backup

Caddy
03-17-2007, 02:45 AM
June a backup? lol, June come cheap? even bigger lol

the reason he hasnt been signed is cause he wants big money, and he would be alot more than a backup

Its all well and good to say he hasn't signed because he wants big money, but if he wants to play football he might have to take what he can get.

ks_perfection
03-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Its all well and good to say he hasn't signed because he wants big money, but if he wants to play football he might have to take what he can get.

Theres no way he will sign on to be a backup anywhere, he will resign to the colts instead.

Bucsfan
03-17-2007, 04:21 PM
with june signing, that means we are likely to draft DE and Safety in the draft, and I think thats very good

etk
03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I never thought we would draft an OLB anyway

Merlin
03-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I never thought we would draft an OLB anyway
Yet we still might? (if the right guy is available at the right time?)

Caddy
03-17-2007, 04:48 PM
If we draft an OLB now I would be very surprised

etk
03-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Yet we still might? (if the right guy is available at the right time?)

Oops sorry guys brainfart.....I meant I never thought we would draft an OLB on Day 1. i.e. we won't take Alexander in the 2nd unlike Scott's mock draft. With Cato on board I don't think we will draft one at all, but in the right situation we could.

SLB: Nece, Winborn, Chukwurah

WLB: Brooks, June, Cash

I don't see the room for drafting an OLB......

Bucsfan
03-17-2007, 07:57 PM
yeah i doubt we draft a LB, maybe a MLB in a later round

im not so sure about Ruud

Beans
03-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Why are people saying our biggest need is DE? I though it was UT.

etk
03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Why are people saying our biggest need is DE? I though it was UT.

It is close, but I say DE. We have Carter & Wyms at UT for the moment, and at DE we have Rice (injury prone) & Spires with little to no depth. With that being said, I think we should take Okoye over any DE, because he is the best fit for our defense and slightly more valuable IMO. If we take CJ, I think we need to take a DE as early as possible and then address UT. If we don't draft Okoye, we can get away with a project at UT for the moment because we have an adequate rotation. At DE we need an instant-impact pass rusher and we need depth badly.

It might sound contradictory to prioritize DE over UT & say I want Okoye, but it's only because I don't like Adams, & Anderson is not the type of DE that we want with a top 10 pick.

Merlin
03-18-2007, 12:01 AM
If we draft an OLB now I would be very surprisedI kinda agree with you, but if OLB Antwan Barnes (Florida International) 6-0.5 240 is available in the 3rd or 4th, I would love to see us take him, Barnes put on a show at the combine, he displayed a great combination of speed and strength and ran a super fast 4.46 forty at 240 pounds and recorded 31 reps at 225 pouinds on the bench, he then topped it off with a solid workout displaying quick feet, balance and explosiveness, his 10 yd time was an outstanding 1.50 and a 35" vertical and 10-2" broad jump was also impressive, he played both the OLB and DE positions at FIU but his transition to a LB'er position at the next level will likely take time, IMO some NFL team will likely take a chance on Barnes possibly as early as the 3rd.

It might be a luxury pick, but he could one day be Brooks replacement, he obviously has the physical gifts, and he would no doubt benifit tremendously learning from Brooks and Kiffin.

As for the DE/UT debate, I would agree with etk to some degree, I would much prefer Okoye, but would be happy with Adams.

etk
03-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't want Antwan Barnes on my team if he went to FIU. Those dirty SOBs coming into our house and trying to cause some ****.

YoJoeBucsFan
03-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't want Antwan Barnes on my team if he went to FIU. Those dirty SOBs coming into our house and trying to cause some ****.

Weak... and lame. Who cares that Thug U got a taste of their own medicine. Barnes could be a player for the Buccaneers.

etk
03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
What are you gonna do? Fire me like that radio guy who made a fool of himself? I was joking about Barnes but we shouldn't draft an OLB unless it is tremendous value, and I think he will rise rather than slip, so we probably won't get him.

Booger
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
It is close, but I say DE. We have Carter & Wyms at UT for the moment, and at DE we have Rice (injury prone) & Spires with little to no depth. With that being said, I think we should take Okoye over any DE, because he is the best fit for our defense and slightly more valuable IMO. If we take CJ, I think we need to take a DE as early as possible and then address UT. If we don't draft Okoye, we can get away with a project at UT for the moment because we have an adequate rotation. At DE we need an instant-impact pass rusher and we need depth badly.

It might sound contradictory to prioritize DE over UT & say I want Okoye, but it's only because I don't like Adams, & Anderson is not the type of DE that we want with a top 10 pick.

Carter and Wyms can also play DE. UT is the biggest need, and I believe that the Bucs would take Okoye and Carriker over Adams.