PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Keepers Thread

Shiver
04-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Post your decisions and choices. Always a good source of discussion.

I have a tough one in my league, I have a choice of Matt Ryan and Kevin Kolb, both with a 12th round value. I love Ryan, but our scoring system emphasizes big yardage games (5 point bonus for 300+ yards) and I think that favors Kolb's style. He has less experience, but has a better set-up for fantasy goodness.

sbh15
04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I have a trade offer... 16 team keeper, idps, ppr - 5 off keepers, 5 def keepers

offensive lineup looks like: qb, rb, rb/wr, wr, wr, te, op

here's the offer:

I send
- Ronnie Brown
- 2nd pick overall in draft
- 15th pick of 6th round

I get
- Percy Harvin
- A LB upgrade
- 12th pick overall in draft
- 5th pick of 6th round

Current keepers:
- Matt Schaub
- Jay Cutler
- Joseph Addai
- Hakeem Nicks
- Ronnie Brown/Chris Wells

qb's are vital to success, and get massive bonuses for big games

Shiver
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Depends on who you think you can get at #2. If most, if not all, of the good players are gone I would jump on that deal.

farfromforgotten
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Post your decisions and choices. Always a good source of discussion.

I have a tough one in my league, I have a choice of Matt Ryan and Kevin Kolb, both with a 12th round value. I love Ryan, but our scoring system emphasizes big yardage games (5 point bonus for 300+ yards) and I think that favors Kolb's style. He has less experience, but has a better set-up for fantasy goodness.

I'd go with Kolb.

sbh15
04-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Depends on who you think you can get at #2. If most, if not all, of the good players are gone I would jump on that deal.

Last year's 1st round in our league:
193 Ray Rice, Bal RB Pittsburgh Steelers
194 Thomas Jones, NYJ RB Oakland Raiders
195 Matt Hasselbeck, Sea QB Tampa Bay Buccaneers
196 Beanie Wells, Ari RB Seattle Seahawks
197 Knowshon Moreno, Den RB Dallas Cowboys
198 Eli Manning, NYG QB Indianapolis Colts
199 LeSean McCoy, Phi RB Tennessee Titans
200 Felix Jones, Dal RB Cleveland Browns
201 Lee Evans, Buf WR Buffalo Bills
202 Joe Flacco, Bal QB Minnesota Vikings
203 Vincent Jackson, SD WR Houston Texans
204 Donald Brown, Ind RB Houston Texans
205 Lance Moore, NO WR Carolina Panthers
206 Bernard Berrian, Min WR Cincinnati Bengals
207 Larry Johnson, Cin RB Chicago Bears
208 Dallas Clark, Ind TE New England Patriots

Last year's 6th round in our league:
273 Chris Chambers, KC WR New England Patriots
274 Kory Sheets, Mia RB Chicago Bears
275 Charles Tillman, Chi CB Cincinnati Bengals
276 Bo Scaife, Ten TE Carolina Panthers
277 Marc Bulger, StL QB Houston Texans
278 Vernon Davis, SF TE Philadelphia Eagles
279 Stephen Cooper, SD LB Minnesota Vikings
280 Bob Sanders, Ind S Buffalo Bills
281 Jerious Norwood, Atl RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers
282 Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ten DE Tennessee Titans
283 Ricky Williams, Mia RB Indianapolis Colts
284 Willis McGahee, Bal RB Dallas Cowboys
285 Aaron Curry, Sea LB Seattle Seahawks
286 Justin Gage, Ten WR Cleveland Browns
287 Yeremiah Bell, Mia S Oakland Raiders
288 Kevin Curtis, Phi WR Pittsburgh Steelers

Looking at the 1st, some of the better picks came in the latter half. I find myself reaching for rookies when I pick high (see: Chris Wells last year), so I think I'll go ahead an pull the trigger.

sbh15
04-26-2010, 10:41 PM
I figured I'd post this here first to gauge interest, though it may be a bit early...

I was thinking of starting up a league for next season, and making it actually like an NFL fantasy league. It would be primarily run outside of whatever site the games are played out on, and I'll explain why.

The inaugural draft would be an auction draft, and each team would start out with X amount of dollars. I'm thinking 12-16 teams. Anyway, that X amount would be your salary cap for the first year, and all trades/waiver pick ups would have to fit in with the cap. Cuts would be made without penalty and that player's "salary" would be taken off of your budget. Waiver pickups would be processed each week, with each player going to the highest bidder.

The league would be a dynasty league (keep players you want, cut ones you don't) with a rookie draft. Before the draft however, would be "free agency" in which teams can drop players to make room for rookies (who would have base salaries based on pick, instead of an auction draft). In free agency, players would again go to the highest bidder.

Since it's a dynasty league, the problem of a team being stacked with young talent might arise, and they could win the championship every year. However, I was thinking there could be some sort of system that makes the budget of the winningest teams more tight, and gives the worst teams more flexibility.

It's really all just floating around in my hear right now, but if anyone is interested and would be willing to help run and clean up the idea with me, then just let me know.

FlyingElvis
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Kolb is definitely the high risk, high reward guy of the two. Turner is a beast and will carry the Falcons; whereas Andy Reid doesn't know the meaning of the word run. Then again, the Falcons schedule is much nicer than the Eagles.

I'd say you need to look closely at your overall keepers and decide what kind of risk you want to take. If you've got some stud keepers and can afford to take the risk on one, go with Kolb.

I have a trade offer... 16 team keeper, idps, ppr - 5 off keepers, 5 def keepers

offensive lineup looks like: qb, rb, rb/wr, wr, wr, te, op

here's the offer:

I send
- Ronnie Brown
- 2nd pick overall in draft
- 15th pick of 6th round

I get
- Percy Harvin
- A LB upgrade
- 12th pick overall in draft
- 5th pick of 6th round

Current keepers:
- Matt Schaub
- Jay Cutler
- Joseph Addai
- Hakeem Nicks
- Ronnie Brown/Chris Wells

qb's are vital to success, and get massive bonuses for big games

If it gives you an upgraded defensive keeper then I like it. Most likely the draft picks are useless with a 16 team league keeping 5 / 5 each. That's a shallow pool of talent and the difference between 2 and 12 is pretty minimal. But you definitely need to assess who you think the keepers will be to make sure you won't miss on a stud at 2 b/c you're not going to have a shot at a stud at 12.

FlyingElvis
04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll have a tough choice with my 3rd keeper this year. I can keep 3 total and players can be kept for 3 years max; moving up 2 rounds from the previous year's draft position. I have 2 locks - Aaron Rodgers in round 12 (second year as a keeper) and Shonne Green in round 13 (drafted in the 15th last year.)

My other options are plentiful but difficult . . . and it may just be too early to determine who will have an impact. Listed based on the round I would keep them:

Wes Welker - round 6 (final year of eligibility)
Antonio Bryant - round 9 (first year of eligibility)
Robert Meachem - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
Austin Collie - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
Chester Taylor - round 11 (first year of eligibility)
Joe Flacco - round 14 (first year of eligibility)
Jamaal Charles - round 15 (first year of eligibility)

Initially I though I had an easy choice with Rodgers, Green and Charles. But then KC added Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster to cause a great big McClusterfuck for me.

Welker is the guy I want to keep but his injury status and final year of keeper eligibility really reduce his value. Right now I'm leaning towards Meachem or Collie with the nod going to whichever seems to carve out the biggest role with their team through the summer.

Thoughts on the 3rd spot?

sbh15
04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Actually, the player pool is always pretty solid for the first two rounds, and I just traded Chris Wells for the 6th pick in the 2nd round, a guy I wasn't going to keep.

I did the trade, though, and I'm pretty happy with my draft setup thus far. I have the 12th pick of the 1st, 2nd pick of the 2nd, 6th pick of the 2nd, and 15th pick of the 2nd.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I'll have a tough choice with my 3rd keeper this year. I can keep 3 total and players can be kept for 3 years max; moving up 2 rounds from the previous year's draft position. I have 2 locks - Aaron Rodgers in round 12 (second year as a keeper) and Shonne Green in round 13 (drafted in the 15th last year.)

My other options are plentiful but difficult . . . and it may just be too early to determine who will have an impact. Listed based on the round I would keep them:

Wes Welker - round 6 (final year of eligibility)
Antonio Bryant - round 9 (first year of eligibility)
Robert Meachem - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
Austin Collie - round 10 (first year - undrafted)
Chester Taylor - round 11 (first year of eligibility)
Joe Flacco - round 14 (first year of eligibility)
Jamaal Charles - round 15 (first year of eligibility)

Initially I though I had an easy choice with Rodgers, Green and Charles. But then KC added Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster to cause a great big McClusterfuck for me.

Welker is the guy I want to keep but his injury status and final year of keeper eligibility really reduce his value. Right now I'm leaning towards Meachem or Collie with the nod going to whichever seems to carve out the biggest role with their team through the summer.

Thoughts on the 3rd spot?

I would still keep Charles. The Chiefs improved the line with Lilja and Weigmann. Thomas Jones will take some carries and some goalline looks, but Charles averaged 6 ypc and had almost 1200 yd in half a season. The offense will open up for Charles with the addition of Charlie Weis and McCluster. McCluster is currently listed as a WR for the Chiefs. I know he will carry the ball some and get some screen passes, but I think he helps Charles more than hurts him. Charles has the most big play ability of all the players you list and he has the best value. If he has a season like he had last year, you would kick yourself for losing him.

Shiver
04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
I would still keep Charles; I actually think Jones and McCluster will be good for his health, I don't see him as a feature back, he's better off with 15-18 touches.

If you are really worried then I would keep Robert Meachem. Even more so if your scoring system tilts toward the WR position like mine does, with PPR and 3 starters.

Cicero
04-29-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm also struggling with my decision of who to keep. My league is a 16 team PPR league with an extra WR/TE flex spot. I'm already keeping Ray Rice, Shonn Greene, and Antonio Gates.

Pick 2 from the rest.

LeSean McCoy
Pierre Garcon
Anthony Gonzalez (who is going be #2 damn it?)
Kellen "I'm a ****** soldier" Winslow
Antonio Bryant

FlyingElvis
04-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks y'all. My league has bonus points for big plays, too. So Charles really seems like he's probably the best option, especially given his super late round status.

It is 2 RB / 3 WR but looks like the voting is done and that will be changing to a 2 / 2 / 1flex (WR/TE/RB) this year so having an extra RB in the stable will be fine. I hadn't really thought about the change when I posted. I was concerned that I'd have a stud RB available with my 9th overall pick (runner up last year :() and wouldn't want to take him b/c I'd already have Greene & Charles. But I could start all 3 anyway . . . :)

I'm also struggling with my decision of who to keep. My league is a 16 team PPR league with an extra WR/TE flex spot. I'm already keeping Ray Rice, Shonn Greene, and Antonio Gates.

Pick 2 from the rest.

LeSean McCoy
Pierre Garcon
Anthony Gonzalez (who is going be #2 damn it?)
Kellen "I'm a ****** soldier" Winslow
Antonio Bryant

Definitely Shady. The 5th spot is going to be a tough one. That Colts WR core is going to make for some hard choices this year. With the ability to play the extra TE I'd lean towards Winslow now but Bryant could carve out a nice role in Cincy through the summer.

Hines
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a keeper question. So far I have Brandon Jacobs for a second, Hines Ward for a fourth, Jeremy Maclin for a 5th, Brent Celek for a 8th, and Sidney Rice for a 12th.

I am not sure I want to keep Brandon Jacobs for a second though. Should I keep Flacco for a 11th instead of Brandon Jacobs?

FlyingElvis
04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes. Jacobs isn't worth a second round pick. With enough keepers he may go round 2 but you could probably pick him there if you really wanted him, especially if you're pick is early round 2. The same likely can't be said for Flacco in round 11.

FlyingElvis
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Haha. I didn't realize that was in P-L's keeper league. Where did you finish? We can keep six each but Jacobs just sucks in a ppr league.

Hines
04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I finished 6th I believe.

FlyingElvis
04-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I doubt Jacobs gets selected before round 3 even with all the keepers. His value takes a bit hit in ppr.

Hines
04-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Are we allowed to trade picks for other player's keepers?

FlyingElvis
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
No. Fenikz and I had a trade together last year but P-L didn't want to deal with the headache of draft pick trades.

Rob S
04-29-2010, 01:32 PM
You can still do trades tho....just make it a gentleman's agreement to do the trade post draft.

Shiver
05-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I have an offer that is intriguing to me: I trade Shonne Greene (who I can't keep) for Antonio Gates (7th round) and he lets Steven Jackson back into the pool. I like the idea of:

1. Brandon Marshall/Peyton Manning/Frank Gore
6. Ray Rice
7. Antonio Gates

>>>

1. Brandon Marshall/Peyton Manning
6. Ray Rice
12. Kevin Kolb

Kolb is good, but there is not a lot that separates him from Ryan, Flacco, Cutler, E. Manning, Henne or even Stafford and Leinart. With Gates, Rice and either of those three players with my third pick I would be set up with three elite players. I am a firm believer in value above the worst possible starter.

But I want to check my instincts against the common wisdom here.

FlyingElvis
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I concur. Gates in round 7 is a much better value than Kolb in any round. Unless you have a scoring system that makes QBs much more valuable, it looks like a good trade.

You have 2 keepers, right? The Marshall/Manning/Gore option is who you expect to select in round one?

Curiosity . . . why can't you keep Greene and why can someone else?

Shiver
05-05-2010, 01:59 AM
You have 2 keepers, right? The Marshall/Manning/Gore option is who you expect to select in round one?

I haven't decided yet, but the choices will be amongst those players probably. Gore and Jackson are the top two RB, Manning and Romo are the top two QB and Marshall, Wayne, White, Jennings are the top receivers. it is too early for me to figure out who I would prefer at my pick at #3.

Curiosity . . . why can't you keep Greene and why can someone else?

You can only keep one player at a position. So I have Ray Rice in the 6th, which is an awesome deal.

FlyingElvis
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I see. That's a cool wrinkle for a keeper system.

Personally, I always recommend SJax. He's the picture of consistency each week which makes life a bit easier as a fantasy owner. But I don't think I have to preach how good he is to you based on your "truths" thread. ;)

Shiver
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know, I'm scarred of him. As soon as I have him he will get hurt. I like admiring him from afar. Besides, he would get picked before my pick anyway.

Shiver
05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Now necessarily a keeper topic, but I guess this is where I would put this:

My gut instinct is that Tony Romo is going to be the better fantasy QB this year than Peyton Manning.

1. He has an easier schedule, by far.
2. The addition of Dez Bryant and the (hopeful) utilization of Bennett will give Romo more weapons than he has ever had.
3. Peyton Manning comes with the risk of him sitting in the fantasy Super Bowl.

I would have to sit through the mocking of other owners, but I usually do well when I go with my gut. (Truthiness FTW)

FlyingElvis
05-06-2010, 12:41 AM
I certainly wouldn't mock you, but I would be surprised if Romo outscores Manning over the course of a season. Manning is reliable, consistent points. But, like you mentioned, he's the same in fantasy as he is in real life: He'll get you there and then be useless to you. ;)

Peyton is generally to expensive to ever land on one of my teams. I'm not taking a QB in the top 2 rounds. Ever.

Shiver
05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Question: PPR league, who do you got?

Roddy White
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall

Right now I am torn. I love Marshall, especially since he is a cinch to catch 100 passes anywhere he is. Wayne has the highest floor, but his ceiling isn't as high. Roddy White is kinda in between the two in terms of potential and security.

SuperMcGee
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
In a salary keeper league with negligible ppr, sort of TD-heavy, what would your thoughts be on my keepers?

Already keeping:

Matt Schaub
Steven Jackson
Beanie Wells

Notable players from last year not being kept:

Ricky Williams
Marion Barber
Steve Slaton

So that leaves me with one keeper spot left between three very good WR:

Brandon Marshall
Roddy White
Sidney Rice

Rice is the cheapest of the bunch but I'm not too worried about price at this point because Schaub and Wells are pretty cheap keeps for me. I'm leaning towards White.

FlyingElvis
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
My concern is the same for both of you in regards to Marshall. He is moving to a new system on a run heavy team which will make 100 catches a bit less likely, imo. Since he's always a risk to do something dumb that has him suspended, I would be weary of keeping him.

For Shiver, I'd say keep Wayne. The guy is a 2nd round pick at worst every year and plays on the most consistent offensive squad in football. Plus, once again, the Colts seem to have a very favorable schedule for WRs.

For McGee . . . they're all pretty equal, I think. If it's a long term keeper league I would stay away from Rice. Once Favre is gone he's a huge question mark. Marshall vs. White may come down to the same issue - if it's long term we know Ryan is the real deal, can we say the same for Henne?