PDA

View Full Version : Crayton and Hurd have asked to be traded

Trogdor
04-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Trade Me
Crayton, Hurd Asking To Be Traded

IRVING, Texas - Following the Cowboys' selection of wide receiver Dez Bryant with their first-round pick on Thursday, wide receivers Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd have asked to be traded.

A FOXSports.com report Friday said the Cowboys have also called other teams in an attempt to trade defensive end Marcus Spears and linebacker Bobby Carpenter. After Friday's second and third rounds were completed, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed the two receivers were on the block.

"Those would be probably bottom half of today and third-day picks," Jones said. "We'd be looking for some threes there. From about 8 o'clock (Friday) night down."

With the selection of Bryant, only the second receiver the Cowboys have chosen in the first round during the Jones era, the writing was on the wall for two players who came to the team with much less fanfare. Crayton was a seventh-round pick in 2004 from tiny Northwest Oklahoma State, while Northern Illinois' Hurd came in as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Crayton rose from promising sleeper to trusted No. 2 receiver, all the while giving the team value as a punt returner. In six seasons with the Cowboys he has 196 catches for 2,888 yards with 23 touchdowns, returning two punts for scores in 2009. Hurd has 31 catches in four seasons, but has been one of the team's most consistent special teams players.

Jones said he was willing to honor their wishes for a trade, but didn't guarantee a move would be made.

"Both of those receivers I have such respect for," Jones said. "And I know what they've given to our team and what they may give to the team in the future. I respect their sensitivity and I understand that. We all, I think, should understand when Dez Bryant enters the scene that that's competition."

Not exactly unexpected in any case I think Crayton is gone, I have a feeling we'll hold on to Hurd unless we have a nice offer.

D-Unit
04-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Not surprising. Time to trim the meat.

RGVBadBoy
04-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Buh Bye!!!lol

superfly69
04-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Too bad Dallas won't get anything for them. Maybe a 7th rounder for Crayton from some team that needs a slot guy. But as good as Hurd was during last preseason he has no trade value.

D-Unit
04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Too bad Dallas won't get anything for them. Maybe a 7th rounder for Crayton from some team that needs a slot guy. But as good as Hurd was during last preseason he has no trade value.
As far as trading them for draft picks, I think that is highly unlikely anyways. But if a player for player swap worked, I think value could be found. ...for Crayton that is. Hurd is worthless.

killxswitch
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Crayton seems like a pretty solid #2 receiver option. The Cowboys don't exactly need him anymore with 3 #1 receivers on the roster, though they might miss his return ability.

brat316
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I thought they were going to cut Roy Williams.

pocketaces
04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Crayton seems like a pretty solid #2 receiver option. The Cowboys don't exactly need him anymore with 3 #1 receivers on the roster, though they might miss his return ability.

LOL not hardly:roll:

killxswitch
04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
LOL not hardly:roll:

Didn't he have 2 TD returns last year?

Im_a_Romosexual
04-26-2010, 02:38 PM
yes, but he was generally a bad return man.

D-Unit
04-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I thought they were going to cut Roy Williams.
Jerry said they are not. But I wouldn't do it anyways. I think he has trade value.

TheFinisher
04-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I can't wait till Sean Lee learns the defense and we can cut Carp... that's the real guy I wanna see gone

thule
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Didn't he have 2 TD returns last year?

Due to fantastic blocking...he didn't get touched. He is a straight north south guy...no wiggle....he doesn't lose yards on a return and has sure hands...but he isn't a game breaker. So I don't think you could call him anything other than average as a returner.

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
I can't wait till Sean Lee learns the defense and we can cut Carp... that's the real guy I wanna see gone
During his private predraft workout Lee sat down with Brooking in the film room. Let's just say... Brooking was VERY impressed. I'm STOKED about Lee. I wasn't feeling so high on him before the draft, but he's easy to learn to like. High character and smarts can carry a player a LONG ways. Because he's so smart, he doens't have to do a lot of thinking on the field. He can just react. Once he gets adjusted to the speed of the game, we will have a gem. I've been overly critical of Bradie James, but this just makes me SOOO happy because I can see the light at the end of James career with the Cowboys. Thanks Bradie, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, you fricken Ed Werder rat, you!!!

E-Man
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Damn, every time I hear something regarding Sean Lee I get excited!

LizardState
04-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Trade Crayton, dump Hurd.

eaglesalltheway
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Damn, every time I hear something regarding Sean Lee I get excited!

You should, he's gonna be a damn good player for you guys.

Damn fishpoops getting a guy I really like. Oh well, he just adds to the Cowboys players that I actually like.

dan77733
04-29-2010, 02:50 PM
My friend who's a Cowboys fan thinks that they should keep Crayton as the slot WR and Hurd for depth. He wants to see Williams get traded or released because he well, sucks. And honestly, I agree. Drafting Bryant and moving up to draft him says that they have pretty much given up on Williams. Crayton and Hurd are worth more than Williams. The only reason why Williams is even still on the team is because of what they gave up to acquire him. I say accept the fact that the trade was a huge mistake as was the contract extension and just move on.

Especially now, without a salary cap, there's no cap penalities so for any team that has players with huge contracts that they want to unload, I say do it now. Even as a 49ers fan, I want to see my team get rid of a few players because they're not worth a damn thing.

dan77733
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
And after looking at the stats for Crayton and Williams the last two seasons, I can honestly say, Crayton > Williams easily.

D-Unit
04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
My friend who's a Cowboys fan thinks that they should keep Crayton as the slot WR and Hurd for depth. He wants to see Williams get traded or released because he well, sucks. And honestly, I agree. Drafting Bryant and moving up to draft him says that they have pretty much given up on Williams. Crayton and Hurd are worth more than Williams. The only reason why Williams is even still on the team is because of what they gave up to acquire him. I say accept the fact that the trade was a huge mistake as was the contract extension and just move on.

Especially now, without a salary cap, there's no cap penalities so for any team that has players with huge contracts that they want to unload, I say do it now. Even as a 49ers fan, I want to see my team get rid of a few players because they're not worth a damn thing.
Roy Williams has a $13M signing bonus coming to him this season. ...that's not including his base salary. Tell your fried to go find a taker on that one. Easier said than done. If he was one of the best WRs in the game, then there could be some probability to that. But he isn't.

Also, why is there a thought that Jerry is stubborn because he hasn't given up on Roy yet? I think it's pretty damn obvious that Jerry has given up on Roy by drafting Dez.

Crayton is nothing special. He'd be a welcomed stay if he was willing to be a team player and accept a lesser role... but the guy walks around camp like the big upperclassmen on campus, has already demanded a trade, and talks a big game that his ass can't cash. He's not a character worth keeping around.

On the other hand, if Hurd wants to be around for depth, he's more than welcomed. He's been a valiant soldier for us throughout the years.

brat316
04-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Should trade Crayton to Chicago, give them 1 legit weapon.

D-Unit
04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Should trade Crayton to Chicago, give them 1 legit weapon.
The fact that the Cowboys have told Crayton and his agent to go seek a trade and the fact that they haven't found anything yet, nor have they asked Jerry to release him, so he could sign right away with another team tells you more than you need to know about Crayton's worthlessness around the league.

dan77733
04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Roy Williams has a $13M signing bonus coming to him this season. ...that's not including his base salary. Tell your fried to go find a taker on that one. Easier said than done. If he was one of the best WRs in the game, then there could be some probability to that. But he isn't.

Also, why is there a thought that Jerry is stubborn because he hasn't given up on Roy yet? I think it's pretty damn obvious that Jerry has given up on Roy by drafting Dez.

Crayton is nothing special. He'd be a welcomed stay if he was willing to be a team player and accept a lesser role... but the guy walks around camp like the big upperclassmen on campus, has already demanded a trade, and talks a big game that his ass can't cash. He's not a character worth keeping around.

On the other hand, if Hurd wants to be around for depth, he's more than welcomed. He's been a valiant soldier for us throughout the years.

That's why I said trade OR RELEASE Williams. He's not worth half the money he's being paid. I do think Jerry has given up on him and the only reason he's keeping him because of his ego. He releases him and it will look horrible considering what they gave up for him. He should just say, screw it and release him and move on. Crayton isnt "special" but he's better than Williams by far. He's demanded a trade because he knows that he's never going to be on the field and play. I would ask for a trade too. I'm sure it gets boring just sitting on the bench doing nothing especially when you're better than a receiver who's on the field doing nothing.

Dont talk about "character". Give me a break. Considering the Cowboys history, "character" is the LAST thing that Jones cares about. It's about who's the better player and can actually make some plays on the field. By far, its Crayton.

MetSox17
04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Call me crazy, but i think Roy might have an above average year. Now that the writing is on the wall that they've lost faith in him, it just might light a fire under his ass and get him to play to his potential. Everyone knows that with him it's laziness, and him getting paid probably made it worse, but he's out of here if he does nothing this season, and i don't think he wants that. He has it perfect here in Dallas. Good contract, good team, and he's right at home. Maybe the threat of playing in Jacksonville for the veteran minimum will do something for him.

yourfavestoner
04-29-2010, 05:34 PM
During his private predraft workout Lee sat down with Brooking in the film room. Let's just say... Brooking was VERY impressed. I'm STOKED about Lee. I wasn't feeling so high on him before the draft, but he's easy to learn to like. High character and smarts can carry a player a LONG ways. Because he's so smart, he doens't have to do a lot of thinking on the field. He can just react. Once he gets adjusted to the speed of the game, we will have a gem. I've been overly critical of Bradie James, but this just makes me SOOO happy because I can see the light at the end of James career with the Cowboys. Thanks Bradie, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, you fricken Ed Werder rat, you!!!

I've read that quite a few teams had him rated above McClain.

D-Unit
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
That's why I said trade OR RELEASE Williams. He's not worth half the money he's being paid. I do think Jerry has given up on him and the only reason he's keeping him because of his ego. He releases him and it will look horrible considering what they gave up for him. He should just say, screw it and release him and move on. Crayton isnt "special" but he's better than Williams by far. He's demanded a trade because he knows that he's never going to be on the field and play. I would ask for a trade too. I'm sure it gets boring just sitting on the bench doing nothing especially when you're better than a receiver who's on the field doing nothing.

Dont talk about "character". Give me a break. Considering the Cowboys history, "character" is the LAST thing that Jones cares about. It's about who's the better player and can actually make some plays on the field. By far, its Crayton.
Release him? That's dumb. Really dumb. His $13 MILLION DOLLARS is coming to him whether he's on the team or off. It's the last part of his signing bonus due to him. But that's not even the main reason to keep him.

1) Just because we drafted Dez, doesn't mean Dez is ready to take the league by storm. He's a damn rookie. Even the best WRs have a learning curve. That position is not one that usually provides an instant impact.

2) Once Roy's guaranteed money is paid off after this year, he's still under contract. But that contract is way more palatable which makes him a nice trading chip... and by chance, if he has a decent year, maybe we can get something for him and recoup some of our losses.

3) Ever since drafting Dez, all we've been hearing are the right kind of words coming from Roy's mouth. He's no idiot. He knows he needs to have a good year. So why release a player like that?

So again... you wanna RELEASE him??? Take your bright ideas and get the... haha. nah, I ain't mad atcha. ;)

thule
04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I love watching people say CUT x PLAYER. They don't understand the business of the NFL. If you told them to pay $900 dollars for a fish....and when they realized that the fish couldn't walk to throw it away....they would tell you to f'off they already spent $900@!!!!!! on it. The NFL isn't a complicated place...it's basic economics. If you don't understand why Roy is still a cowboy go read an econ book.

BaLLiN
04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
i agree with metsox, i think Roy will be do better than expected. Crayton is pretty decent, could warrant a notorious 5th round draft pick at best though. Hurd, idk, he really hasn't done much so a team must be desperate/love him to give up anything.

dan77733
04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Release him? That's dumb. Really dumb. His $13 MILLION DOLLARS is coming to him whether he's on the team or off. It's the last part of his signing bonus due to him. But that's not even the main reason to keep him.

1) Just because we drafted Dez, doesn't mean Dez is ready to take the league by storm. He's a damn rookie. Even the best WRs have a learning curve. That position is not one that usually provides an instant impact.

2) Once Roy's guaranteed money is paid off after this year, he's still under contract. But that contract is way more palatable which makes him a nice trading chip... and by chance, if he has a decent year, maybe we can get something for him and recoup some of our losses.

3) Ever since drafting Dez, all we've been hearing are the right kind of words coming from Roy's mouth. He's no idiot. He knows he needs to have a good year. So why release a player like that?

So again... you wanna RELEASE him??? Take your bright ideas and get the... haha. nah, I ain't mad atcha. ;)

I dont think that its dumb at all. He signs with another team, the money DAL owes him would be lower than what he's scheduled to get paid. Besides, if he ends up sucking in 2010, all keeping him will do is slow down the progress of Bryant.

1) True but with Austin, Witten and a good running game, any pressure that would be on Bryant would be minimal at best. And granted, Bryant is a rookie but having him play behind a WR who's been a huge disappointment would be even more stupid than releasing Williams because instead of developing on the field, he'll be sitting on the bench which helps no one.

2) I understand what you're saying but Williams isnt worth anything. He'll have to have a HUGE season which is something he hasnt been able to do his entire career so what makes you think that 2010 will be any different?

3) So...........because Roy's saying all the right things, he's worth keeping? I dont think he's worth keeping whatsoever regardless of the $13m that he's guaranteed and the only person to blame for that is Jones himself for giving Williams that kind of money in the first place.

I just think it would be better to let Williams go, start Bryant opposite Austin and move on but thats just me.

D-Unit
04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
I dont think that its dumb at all. He signs with another team, the money DAL owes him would be lower than what he's scheduled to get paid. Besides, if he ends up sucking in 2010, all keeping him will do is slow down the progress of Bryant.

1) True but with Austin, Witten and a good running game, any pressure that would be on Bryant would be minimal at best. And granted, Bryant is a rookie but having him play behind a WR who's been a huge disappointment would be even more stupid than releasing Williams because instead of developing on the field, he'll be sitting on the bench which helps no one.

2) I understand what you're saying but Williams isnt worth anything. He'll have to have a HUGE season which is something he hasnt been able to do his entire career so what makes you think that 2010 will be any different?

3) So...........because Roy's saying all the right things, he's worth keeping? I dont think he's worth keeping whatsoever regardless of the $13m that he's guaranteed and the only person to blame for that is Jones himself for giving Williams that kind of money in the first place.

I just think it would be better to let Williams go, start Bryant opposite Austin and move on but thats just me.
You lose .

Trogdor
04-30-2010, 07:40 AM

*headdesk*

Just because he's on the team doesn't mean his position is locked. If by some rookie miracle Dez blows up training camp and earns the starting spot opposite Miles he'll start. But to release a guy you have to pay anyways? Are you suggesting that Crayton or Hurd is ready to be a #2 on a SB caliber team? If you are then... I can't help.

Dez has the talent... but he's a ROOKIE. The learning curve at WR is steeper than most positions and typically it'll be 2-3 years before he's ready to blossom into that starter role. In our offense the slot receiver is a starter due to the number of 3 WR sets we run.

So what's the point of releasing Roy when there is still the possibility he can play at the level we traded for?

And ... the 'Roy Williams has never had a huge season comment'...

Roy Williams for the 2006 Lions: 1,310 yards and 7 touchdowns. The 1,310 were the most in the NFC; and tied with Indianapolis Colts receiver Reggie Wayne for 3rd most in the NFL. Roy Williams and teammate Mike Furrey caught more passes (178) than any other duo in the NFC. In 2007 he was the first Detroit wide receiver to make the Pro Bowl since 1998 (Herman Moore).

So while I can understand the frustration with Roy the idea that he "can't or has never done" anything in his career is just point-blank idiocy. He'll be on the roster this year since we are already on the hook for the money. Dez playing a year in the slot while returning punts and learning an NFL offense will be enough on his plate... only thing that can slow him down is himself.

Don Vito
04-30-2010, 07:42 AM
If the Pats didn't have so many bodies at WR I'd love to see us go after Hurd, we could use a big target like that.

Trogdor
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Cowboys WR Crayton wants trade

By Calvin Watkins
ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Wanting a trade, receiver Patrick Crayton has decided not to attend any more voluntary offseason workouts with the Dallas Cowboys until something can be worked out, according to his agent, Fred Lyles.

Clown annoyed me when he felt the need to spew off on ESPN last year about how his speed was too low. Now essentially sabotaging the process of trading him -_-. Article continued and mentioned that several teams have shown interest but none willing to pay the asking price.

LonghornsLegend
04-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Sorry Dan, but this makes absolutely no sense and is a terrible point. I'm not even going to go into how most of this. Dez will earn a starting job, when he's ready to start over Roy he will trust. Besides he'll be on the field in WR sets because Austin has lined up in the slot quite a bit. Also, do you really want to try and say that because he's playing behind Roy that would be stupid? What???

You act like he's going to be following Roy W around like a puppet trying to learn everything he can from him. He's his own player, whether or not you rush a guy into starting, do it when he's ready, or in year 2, it has absolutely no bearing on how he'll develop as a player.

Sounds like your just reaching and grasping straws on this. When Dez is playing at a higher level then Roy he'll be starting, which for all we know could be week 1. It's May right now. But if you think he's not going to play because he's not a top 2 WR on the depth chart your mistaken.

Go Cowboys
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
NFL.com is reporting that Crayton would rather stay a Cowboy and not be traded.

D-Unit
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
NFL.com is reporting that Crayton would rather stay a Cowboy and not be traded.
So after his agent realized there was nothing out there, now he comes crawling back eh?

Trogdor
05-03-2010, 07:55 AM
So after his agent realized there was nothing out there, now he comes crawling back eh?

Precisely. He tried to force our hands and dump him but when no suitable offers came we weren't going to cut ties. Now he has the make the most of a bad situation lol.

I still see him being traded before the deadline to a team that has a run of injuries at WR.