PDA

View Full Version : The Akwasi Owusu-Ansah Appreciation Thread

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.iupques.com/uploads/2/8/6/8/2868935/3945290.jpg KlL9CCAwayA

http://www.iupques.com/uploads/2/8/6/8/2868935/2742177_orig.jpg http://www.iupques.com/uploads/2/8/6/8/2868935/313913_orig.jpg

http://www.iupques.com/uploads/2/8/6/8/2868935/3076914_orig.jpg http://www.iupques.com/uploads/2/8/6/8/2868935/6251898_orig.jpg

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c117812/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Akwasi-OwusuAnsah.jpg

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Akwasi-OwusuAnsah-to-visit-Vikings.html

XIWem6CLE-s

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1917347&#post1917347

Wk11 11/17/2009

http://www.psacsports.org/images/2009/8/25/rp_primary_Owusu-Ansah2.jpg

- DB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana (PA) (6'1", 195)
This week I'm bustin' out my sleepers on ya'll. Here's my blue light special! You heard it here first. I'm having a very strong feeling that AOA might be the next small school DB that just sky rockets up draft boards after all the draft workouts. We've seen DRC, McKelvin, and Delmas do it, and now I think this year's guy will be Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. This past weekend, AOA returned a kickoff AND a punt for touchdowns in a single quarter (4th Qtr), but that's nothing. Those scores gave AOA, his third return for a TD on kickoffs, and his third return for a TD on punts in his career. He also 1 on an INT and another on a fumble return. The kid is a playmaker. But he's also a dynamic defensive back. He's lined up both as a safety and corner and looks to have legit NFL quality cover skills.

Wk7 10/19/2009 - Scored another TD on a punt return for the 2nd week in a row. I'm not kidding you. I'm falling in love with this guy.

Wk10: 11/12/2009 - Scott has put up a blog spot on him.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1875668#post1875668

He apparently got hurt and had to go to the hospital in the last game. Scouts are all over this guy. A GB Packers scout was seen in attendance.

Wk13 12/1/2009 - Apparently his speed is a question mark which is a bad sign if teams want him to play corner. His NFL position might be strictly as a Safety. Sounds like a 3rd-4th rounder at the moment.

The more you watch, the more you love!

FWyHc-KGp6c

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Hizzah!!!!

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
D, thanks man!

This could be my favorite pick of the draft for us so far!

Dez is nice, Lee is a great player, but this kid has some serious potential...Wont start this year, at least early on, but is exactly the type of safety we need to develop for down the road.

If this guy plays halfway to his potential, Jenkins continues to get better and become the #1 CB he is suppose to be, Scandrick can build on his rookie year and get better, our future secondary could be very solid!

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Combine Vid:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816dd01a/2010-Combine-workout-Akwasi-Owusu-Ansah

Dude... He might be more ready than I thought! Nice Feet!

cdub11
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
really like this pick

CPSwagAttack24
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
D, thanks man!

This could be my favorite pick of the draft for us so far!

Dez is nice, Lee is a great player, but this kid has some serious potential...Wont start this year, at least early on, but is exactly the type of safety we need to develop for down the road.

If this guy plays halfway to his potential, Jenkins continues to get better and become the #1 CB he is suppose to be, Scandrick can build on his rookie year and get better, our future secondary could be very solid!

This guy could easily be the starter to begin year... who is his competition? Pat Watkins, Alan Ball, and Mike Hamlin?

diesel
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Daddy LIKE!

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I agree guys, love this pick. Nice videos, good transition ability and I like his ball skills.

The type of safety I think it takes to get us to the next level. Not necessarily this year, but soon, very soon!

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
This guy could easily be the starter to begin year... who is his competition? Pat Watkins, Alan Ball, and Mike Hamlin?

No, he wont be. It's Ball's job...AOA played Division II football, the guy is going to need work. He wont be starting. He probably wont even be the primary backup behind Ball. Maybe next year, but to think he can win the job this year is some major wishful thinking.

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM

To begin the year it would be tough to suplant Ball just because of the experioence he has. But 4-7 games in, look out. When this kid "gets it" we will be very excited about what he will bring. There will be some rookie mistakes, but there will also be some BIG plays!

LonghornsLegend
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I love this pick, I really hope we can get some nice projects with our last 3 picks too. This guy has alot to be excited about, and once again D was early to the punch as already jotting notes on him during the season lol.

RGVBadBoy
04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
One of my "wish list" guys...

E-Man
04-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I was wondering if they had their eye on him, and I'm a little glad he got picked. I haven't had the opportunity to watch him play yet, but the buzz on him is pretty exciting. Where will he play though? CB or S?

Macarthur
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Man, that's impressive.

The thing I like is that he has a nose for the end zone and tries to score every time he touches the ball. He really uses his blockers well.

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I was wondering if they had their eye on him, and I'm a little glad he got picked. I haven't had the opportunity to watch him play yet, but the buzz on him is pretty exciting. Where will he play though? CB or S?

He's going to get a shot at S first. Hopefully he's our future at FS. He should also instantly be our top kick returner. With Bryant manning the PR duties, which AOA could also do.

The Cowboys took cornerback Akwasi Owusu-Ansah in the fourth round with the idea of converting him from cornerback to safety.

Sound famaliar? The Cowboys took Cincinnati cornerback DeAngelo Smith in the fifth round last year with the idea of shifting him to safety.
He was cut before the first game of the season.

"I think this kid is a little different,'' secondary coach Dave Campo said of Owusu-Ansah. "This kid is faster, more athletic. More instinctive.

"I think this guy has got a better chance.''

It helps that Owusu-Ansah isn't strictly a corner. In fact, he believes most of his big plays in college came when he was at safety.

E-Man
04-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Cool, so they got a safety with some athleticism. Hopefully Campo can do some good work with him.

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Cool, so they got a safety with some athleticism. Hopefully Campo can do some good work with him.

And BALL SKILLS with some Ed Reed like return qualities!

Trogdor
04-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Had my eye on AoA for a while =) He has the potential to be an absolute beast at FS and fits exactly what I was looking for at FS provided we missed out on Nate Allen.

While I think it's a stretch to say he'll push Alan Ball this year for the starting job he'll at minimum for a primary option as a return man and backup FS. Love his potential and I'm extremely happy with the value =)

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 11:36 PM
It's not a stretch according to Dave Campo...

BaLLiN
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Combine Vid:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816dd01a/2010-Combine-workout-Akwasi-Owusu-Ansah

Dude... He might be more ready than I thought! Nice Feet!

I like the feet, but did you see the transition from backpedal to sprint? He didn't really raise up too much at all.

It might take a bit to transition though, he's not going to be able to cover as freely as he did in college

And BALL SKILLS with some Ed Reed like return qualities!

against a much lower lever of competition

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm very f**** jealous as a Packer fan.
We should have had the pick before this and taken him, but our idiot GM drafted Mike Neal in round 2 instead of 4 or 5, so instead of taking Morgan Burnett in round 2, he had to trade away this 4th round pick to move up in round 3.

I also wanted Dez Bryant who Thompson let slide to take another short-armed pale offensive lineman who will blend right in.

These 2 guys are goung to haunt me for years, so CONGRATS TO YOU GUYS.
It's gotta be nice having a GM who's not afraid to swing for the fence sometimes. Michael Irvin had a lot more character problems than Dez Bryant does. That seemed to work out pretty well for you guys.... and not so well for my team.

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I like the feet, but did you see the transition from backpedal to sprint? He didn't really raise up too much at all.

It might take a bit to transition though, he's not goi's t to be able to cover as freely as he did in college

IMHO, ball skills is ball skills. A guy who goes after the football when it is thrown up and a guy who has the hands to catch it can do it at all levels against whoever.

Granted, there will certainly be a transition, but just because he is coming from a small school and played agaist weaker comp doesn't mean he can't be successful and be successful early.

Campo compared his athletic ability to that of some of the first round cornerbacks, that's got to mean something. He will have a shot to sit back and learn and be ready to compete when asked, and hopefully will transition earlier than later.

Just excited about having a guy who has the potential to be a great play-making safety, something I have been wanting since Woody left.

Trogdor
04-24-2010, 11:52 PM

It might take a bit to transition though, he's not going to be able to cover as freely as he did in college

He's a project at FS. As a return guy however I subscribe to the same school of thought as BP in that if you are a successful return man regardless of whether it is D-I or D-II the vision and execution translates to the NFL game.

Ball skills are there and he certainly has the range. Campos will coach him up I think he'll be something special.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm very f**** jealous as a Packer fan.
We should have had the pick before this and taken him, but our idiot GM drafted Mike Neal in round 2 instead of 4 or 5, so instead of taking Morgan Burnett in round 2, he had to trade away this 4th round pick to move up in round 3.

I also wanted Dez Bryant who Thompson let slide to take another short-armed pale offensive lineman who will blend right in.

These 2 guys are goung to haunt me for years, so CONGRATS TO YOU GUYS.
It's gotta be nice having a GM who's not afraid to swing for the fence sometimes. Michael Irvin had a lot more character problems than Dez Bryant does. That seemed to work out pretty well for you guys.... and not so well for my team.

Thanks man. I thought Dez would be some thought to GB, but you guys did get a pretty highly rated Tackle and you can always find a #2 opposite Jennings. But GB does seem to take a certain type of player, and Bulaga fit that mold while Dez didn't. AOA is a risk that I'm glad we took though.

IMHO, ball skills is ball skills. A guy who goes after the football when it is thrown up and a guy who has the hands to catch it can do it at all levels against whoever.

I agree, he'll need to get adjusted to the speed of things, but ball skills carry over. Some guys don't know how to react to the ball in the air, or to turn and find the ball at it's high point, he does. I am glad Campo get's a chance to work with him, he's exactly the type of FS I wanted.

He's a project at FS. As a return guy however I subscribe to the same school of thought as BP in that if you are a successful return man regardless of whether it is D-I or D-II the vision and execution translates to the NFL game.

This was the reason I was the most excited about the pick, we needed a return man in the baddest way. He offers all of that, I know Dez may handle punts at first but he should give our return game a much needed boost. He makes me feel better about missing on Nate Allen and Burnett because of his return skills, but I think it's obvious we knew we needed a deep centerfield FS will range and ball skills.

Now I'm hoping we re-sign Sensy for something decent.

Sniper
04-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm ridiculously jealous of this pick.

M.O.T.H.
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Well you stole Nate Allen so, get out of here. :D

RaiderNation
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I think AOA is going to end up one of the better DB's in this draft. Has the size and speed just need a little coaching and time to develop