D-Unit
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm impressed by the excitement djp!

Soo ummm QB for the Vikings?

djp
04-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm impressed by the excitement djp!

Soo ummm QB for the Vikings?

Haven't you seen the commercial? Favre plans on playing until 2020 :)

Yes, I am guessing that next year quarterback will be by far our biggest need. Followed by NT and possibly tackle considering this is probably McKinnie's last season here.

BlueBandit24
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm just really hoping that all the quarterbacks who look like top prospects on paper right now have big years and maintain their 1st round status. Unless we completely tank we likely won't be in a position to nab Locker, Luck, or Mallet (assuming the last two declare) but maybe a Ponder or Devlin will be there towards the back half of Round 1.

I agree on left tackle as well. We'll need one soon and have nobody on the roster who has any LT potential.

JFLO
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
From an early on standpoint, I'm hoping for a trade up for one of the big three quarterbacks. I'm not sure if I have a preference right now but if Andrew Luck can build on last year's season without Toby Gerhart behind him, then he could very well be the #1 pick as a r/s Sophomore.

One guy who I would love to see in Purple and Gold would be Marcus Forston as a NT. Dude is a rock up the middle and is very athletic for his size.

marshallb
04-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Time to start getting to know some of these guys. Let's hope next year we finally get our QB...

FuzzyGopher
04-26-2010, 12:09 AM
http://nwahomepage.com/media/jpg/ryan-mallett2010-03-17-1268882566.jpg

contento
04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree that QB is obviously #1 on the list in 2011, but we'll likely have to leverage most of our draft to get up into the premium QB area(likely Top 10-12) which is always risky.

Or maybe Tjack will pan out.................

yo123
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
http://nwahomepage.com/media/jpg/ryan-mallett2010-03-17-1268882566.jpg

Those mechanics don't look quite right.

vikes_28
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd imagine if Favre is coming back this year, they'll give TJack and Rosenfels another chance. So QB probably won't be the pick

prock
04-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd imagine if Favre is coming back this year, they'll give TJack and Rosenfels another chance. So QB probably won't be the pick

It better be the pick. Next year our biggest needs are gonna be the 2 most important positions on the field in all likely hood...

BlueBandit24
04-26-2010, 05:37 PM

I don't think the organization has any faith in Rosenfels/Jackson moving forward. If there's a quarterbak on the board whom they're high on, he'll be the pick. They need to find an option for the long haul and the draft is the only way to do that.

marshallb
04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't think the organization has any faith in Rosenfels/Jackson moving forward. If there's a quarterbak on the board whom they're high on, he'll be the pick. They need to find an option for the long haul and the draft is the only way to do that.

That's what we all thought this year, and we all know how that turned out.

vikes_28
04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

They must have some faith in them. Because if they didn't they would have taken Clausen in the first round. If they think that TJack or Rosenfels can fill in for Favre if he gets injured then they must have faith in them.

BlueBandit24
04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I think both Jackson and Rosenfels are better backups than most out there. I'm not saying they're long-term options at the position but you could do worse if Favre went down; neither is going to run the team into the ground.

If they really loved Clausen this year I am guessing they would have taken him. Other teams saw things that scared them off so it wasn't as though the Vikings simply balked at the opportunity to add an elite quarterback prospect; there's a reason he dropped to the middle of the 2nd round. That doesn't mean he won't go on to have a successful career but I've tempered my expectations for Clausen a bit. The Vikings passing on him has little do with Tarvaris or Sage and more to do with Jimmy, IMO.

contento
04-27-2010, 02:31 PM
They must have some faith in them. Because if they didn't they would have taken Clausen in the first round. If they think that TJack or Rosenfels can fill in for Favre if he gets injured then they must have faith in them.

Don't overlook the fact that Chilly can't evaluate QB talent worth a damn...there's a high probability he passed on Clausen just because he didn't like him.

Meanwhile he happily brings in guys like Bollinger, Holcombe, JDB, Gus, etc etc

JFLO
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Todd McShay's 1st 2011 mock has the team taking Allen Bailey.

I wouldn't mind, especially considering all three quarterbacks were gone. I think we would also give Christian Ponder a though as well.

prock
04-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Todd McShay's 1st 2011 mock has the team taking Allen Bailey.

I wouldn't mind, especially considering all three quarterbacks were gone. I think we would also give Christian Ponder a though as well.

Would Bailey be the best fit as a Phat replacement? I would prefer Ponder. I am really thinking LT might end up being a first round need too.

marshallb
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Would Bailey be the best fit as a Phat replacement? I would prefer Ponder. I am really thinking LT might end up being a first round need too.

I agree with you partially, Bailey isn't a great fit, but he is such a physical freak and stud that I would be more than willing to take him. I would take Ponder as well. I don't think we'll look at LT next year, I think that will be 2 years, QB, S, NT, and OLB all appear to be big needs next year, and imo bigger than LT, especially given the value likely to be there in the late 1st where we will likely be picking.

JFLO
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
I think the play and maturity of Bryant McKinnie is the x-factor though in determining the need for a left tackle. If he is as inconsistent as he was during the latter part of last season, then I wouldn't mind going after a guy like Castonzo, Carimi or Barksdale.

Crazy_Chris
04-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I can't see LT being a first round need next year...

McKinnie has a bad rep because he is a dumb *** d-bag that no one likes. But he really did have a good year last year aside from that stretch at the end of the season in which he supposedly dealing with plantar fasciitis.

Aswell Bryant is under contract through 2013, at less than 5 mil a year which is very resonable. I don't see them looking for a replacement for probably another 2 years. That is unless, a quality LT some how makes it to F/A such as a Jared Gaither(rarely if ever happens) or someone falls to them in the draft that is too good to pass on.

djp
10-16-2010, 12:49 PM
As far as first round picks go, here is a list that I've compiled of potential Vikings picks

QB Jake Locker Washington
QB Ryan Mallett Arkansas
QB Blaine Gabbert Mizzou (very unlikely he declares)
OT Anthony Costanzo Boston College
OL Rodney Hudson Florida State
NT Jerrell Powe Ole Miss
DL Allen Bailey Miami
DE Robert Quinn North Carolina
DE Adrian Clayborn Iowa
DE Cameron Heyward Ohio State
DE DaQuan Bowers Clemson
LB Donta Hightower Alabama
LB Akeem Ayers UCLA
LB Travis Lewis Oklahoma
CB Aaron Williams Texas
S Rahim Moore UCLA

Obviously a lot of that list depends on where we're picking in the first round, we have a pretty wide disparity of potential finishes in terms of our record. Bolded is most likely

vikes_28
10-16-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm to the point where I kind of want us to suck so we can nab one of the top 3 QB's.

prock
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I saw us have Jake Locker in a mock the other day and I kind of creamed myself. I hope we lose out.

General Zod
12-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, Scott has us taking Daquan Bowers in his latest mock. And while I so far really like Bowers as a prospect, I think DE really isnt our highest priority even if Ray Edwards leaves. I understand that Luck, Mallet(*Cringe*) and Locker will probably be gone. And Im just not sure about Cam Newton as a pro. Its kind of tough spot really, if we fall in that area. I really love Derek Sherrod as a procept, but he might be a reach there.

What do you all think of the Daquan Bower pick?

FuzzyGopher
12-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Not really a fan of that pick, but if the draft played out that way I guess I wouldn't have a problem with Bowers. Ideally I would like Locker in the 1st, and a safety like Deunta Williams or Rahim Moore in the second. If we could tag Edwards and trade him for a 3rd I would be really happy, then we could use that pick and draft a center, DT or LB.

marshallb
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Not really a fan of that pick, but if the draft played out that way I guess I wouldn't have a problem with Bowers. Ideally I would like Locker in the 1st, and a safety like Deunta Williams or Rahim Moore in the second. If we could tag Edwards and trade him for a 3rd I would be really happy, then we could use that pick and draft a center, DT or LB.

I agree with you quite a bit, but would like to add LT project there in the third, my hate for McKinnie has grown infinitely over these past two years, and I now can't stand him and to be putting a franchise QBs blindside in his hands makes me cringe. I know this isn't a good OT and especially LT as most of the college OTs project to either RT or OG, but if we are able to acquire a third round pick and it is only a mild reach, I would like to see us take a project LT who can hopefully take over for McKinnie after a year once he loses even more of the little agility he has.

I'd be ok with Bowers in that situation and if that were to happen, I'd really like to see us take Ponder in the 2nd. I was a big fan of his coming into the year and am still quite a bit higher on him than most. If we stick with a WCO with a heavy running game with Peterson, I think he would fit perfectly and he may even be able to step in and play from day one as he's pretty advanced in a pro style offense and isn't a raw prospect. It'd be nice to be able to trade up into the 3rd round and get a solid S prospect like McDaniel, who has all the tools and parlayed them into a great Junior season but is struggling mightily this season which will hurt his draft grade quite a bit.

MNtoWA Guy
12-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone! New to the forum and posted in the introduction thread as well. Nice to be chatting with some other Vikings fans.

Personally, I don't like Scott's projected pick at all. I have been a follower of this site for years, so I know he is good at what he does, but I just don't see DE as that large of a need for the Vikings. We have some players who are capable of stepping up if Edwards leaves in FA. Also, if Jared Allen gets back to playing the way he normally does the left DE will be freed up more often than not. I don't know what you all think, but I personally wouldn't mind a rotation of Brian Robison and Everson Griffen at that spot next year. Griffen (when he has been active) has shown pass-rushing ability and Robison always seems to be able to get pressure on the QB when he is in the line-up.

I know our first rounder will ultimately depend on who the HC ends up being. If Frazier is retained he may want to lean towards a defensive player. Although, it seems every HC usually wants to have "their guy" at the QB position. Favre won't be back and T-Jack (who is a FA anyway) was Childress' guy/mistake, so Frazier could take a QB if he is the coach.

I really hope the Vikings take a QB if available, which will be the problem. There are going to be some QB needy teams ahead of us, so Luck (if he comes out), Mallett, and Locker will probably all be gone. Not sure if I am sold on Newton as a solid pro QB. Memories of Daunte Culpepper keep popping up in my head, and they are not the good ones. Not sure if that is even a good comparison, but when I see Newton (big QB, big arm, and running ability) I can't help but see Culpepper.

FuzzyGopher
12-04-2010, 01:20 PM
It'd be nice to be able to trade up into the 3rd round and get a solid S prospect like McDaniel, who has all the tools and parlayed them into a great Junior season but is struggling mightily this season which will hurt his draft grade quite a bit.

I haven't really seen Moore, Deunta Williams or McDaniels too much, but they both have a ton of career interceptions. That is exactly what our secondary needs, a ball hawk who can force turnovers and get our defense off the field.

marshallb
12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I haven't really seen Moore, Deunta Williams or McDaniels too much, but they both have a ton of career interceptions. That is exactly what our secondary needs, a ball hawk who can force turnovers and get our defense off the field.

I haven't been able to watch as much college football this year, and I've only been able to watch these guys a small amount, but from what I've read all three of them have had disappointing seasons and none of them have really separated themselves. We definitely need a playmaker at S, which we haven't had since the year before Sharper left, and I stress the year before because Sharper was horrid his last year here and looked like he was done.

MNtoWA. I agree with you, LE is not that big of a need for us, but with that situation there really isn't much else there. Our biggest needs IMO (and I'm pretty sure most of the rest of us) are QB, S, and LT, but Scott has the top 3 QBs back and while I like Newton as a college player, he has plenty of question marks as a passer. No S is worth a top 20 pick in this draft at this point, and we very likely may not see any S in the first round. On top of that, this is probably the worst OT class in a quite a while and no one is much of a sure thing and would be a big reach there. One OT who I'm starting to like quite a bit for us is Lee Ziemba for Auburn. He's a big guy who has started at LT all 4 years in the SEC. He's a great run blocker and his biggest flaw is supposed to be that he has short arms. He's almost guaranteedly not going to be a first rounder and likely won't be a second rounder even, but if we can get back into the 3rd, I'd be very happy with him.

MNtoWA Guy
12-05-2010, 12:09 AM
marshallb. Yeah, I am not sold on Cam Newton no matter where the Vikings may be drafting. If the top 3 QBs are gone and the Vikings are picking within the first 15 I wouldn't mind seeing us drop back in the first. Then we could pick up some additional draft choices (maybe even a 3rd to replace the one we lost on Moss) then take a S in the later part of the first.

Honestly, our safeties are so atrocious. Madieu can't tackle and when he attempts to hit somebody he never wraps-up, so they bounce right off him and keep on gaining yards. The other spot has been a carousel with Tyrell, Abdullah, and Jamarca all playing. Although, Abdullah has shown some promise at times. We desperately need some help at this position and unless we bring in a FA (which could end up becoming Madieu Williams v2.0) it will remain a glaring hole defensively and teams will continue to torch the Vikings. I think it is funny when everybody points out how much Cook and Asher Allen have struggled in coverage, when it is just as much the safeties' faults for not providing any over the top assistance when it is needed.

General Zod
12-05-2010, 08:58 AM
A lot of its going to have to do with who is coaching us next season too. When Ray Edwards does leave, I think im ok with Robinson and Griffen at DE. Griffen looks like he can get pressure on the QB at times this season.

Jeron Johnson is another guy besides D. Williams I like at safety. As for Cam Newton, while I wont deny his ability. He just looks slow to me when he drops back. He's got a great O-line at Auburn. And any game where the other teams defenses can get pressure on him, are those games where he is less then super(by his standards anyways).

MNtoWA Guy
12-05-2010, 12:26 PM
The Vikings are going to have so many needs going into this offseason (QB, DE, OT, S and arguably CB and DT) that I think the best plan would be for us to trade down in the first to gather more draft choices. Unless one of the top 3 QBs is there we need to strongly consider this option. This next year is basically going to be a rebuilding year, especially if we have a new HC, so why not take a page out of Green Bay's and New England's books and gather up a ton of draft picks to get younger. The Vikings have some young talent, but we are an aging team.

B-rand
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM
So it's now official? #10 overall pick?

It may be possible to get one of the top-3 QB's yet at that spot.

No matter what happens, I do not want to go into next season with Joe Webb as our starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see what kind of progress the kid can make, but handing him the keys to the car this early is just stupid.

#1 QB: ???
#2 QB: Joe Webb
#3 QB: Jake Locker?

Also, with the LT position, I would give Loadholt a chance to earn that position in Training Camp. Guy has not been stellar, but has shown a good work-ethic

Crazy_Chris
01-03-2011, 04:21 AM
So it's now official? #10 overall pick?

It may be possible to get one of the top-3 QB's yet at that spot.

No matter what happens, I do not want to go into next season with Joe Webb as our starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see what kind of progress the kid can make, but handing him the keys to the car this early is just stupid.

They ended up with #12 rather than #10. Agree about Joe Webb would rather not just hand him the keys. Hopefully they can Aquire a half way decent Veteran QB.

I am a bit worried about being able to draft a Franchise QB this year. There are a good amount of teams ahead of us that have QB needs. Aswell with a rookie wage scale very likely being implemented we could see teams reaching more for needs rather than just going BPA.

Carolina
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Cleveland
San Francisco
Tennessee
Washington

*Most likely to draft a QB IMO

All of those teams could very well be in the market to draft a franchise QB. Then you have to watch out for teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, or Miami trading up for one. I don't believe Luck is going to declare so that Leaves 3 guys for all these needy teams. Looks like the Vikes may have to move up to make sure they get their guy.

FuzzyGopher
01-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Harbaugh is rumored to almost certainly leave Stanford, which would mean Luck comes out. Also Blaine Gabbert declared today so the chances of a quarterback falling in our laps just increased greatly.

marshallb
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
We got some good news in the way of hoping to get a franchise QB this year with Blaine Gabbert declaring. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5985219)

As of right now, I'd rank him as my #4 QB behind Luck, Mallett, and Locker and ahead of Newton. There's also a good chance that I move him ahead of Locker too as I look back on more of their games this past season. He's got prototypical size at 6'5" 240, has a strong arm and can make any throw with good accuracy, and has underrated mobility. I'm really surprised that he came out, or at least that he didn't wait until after Luck announced his decision and then do the opposite. If he stayed another year and Luck comes out, he'd be the favorite for the #1 QB spot next year; even if he'd announce that he was gonna come out after Luck were to announce that he'd stay, he could challenge for the #1 QB spot.

Needless to say, I'd love it if we took Gabbert.

EDIT: I should post some of his negatives too. His biggest negatives are his pocket presence, he can struggle with touch on some of the deeper throws, and with that offense he doesn't have to make much for reads or a whole lot of dropbacks, so he has to work on his footwork.

marshallb
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Harbaugh is rumored to almost certainly leave Stanford, which would mean Luck comes out. Also Blaine Gabbert declared today so the chances of a quarterback falling in our laps just increased greatly.

damn. You beat me to it, I shouldn't have spent so much time writing up my thoughts haha.

FuzzyGopher
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
damn. You beat me to it, I shouldn't have spent so much time writing up my thoughts haha.

Lol, no worries. You provided more analysis than I did. I don't know much about him other then he is a probable first rounder with a strong arm and great size. I think I only saw him play once and I came away impressed with him.

marshallb
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Lol, no worries. You provided more analysis than I did. I don't know much about him other then he is a probable first rounder with a strong arm and great size. I think I only saw him play once and I came away impressed with him.

Yea, I have to look at him some more. I didn't bother watching him a whole lot this year because I didn't think that he'd come out.

B-rand
01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Ok.....Hypothetical situation:

All of the top-3 guys who declare for the draft are off the board by the time we select #12.....at this moment in time, is it feasible the Vikings drop back in the 1st round, add another 2nd or 3rd round pick, and still be able to get a guy like Gabbert?

Also, if we did get him, would Blaine live in Blaine?

Crazy_Chris
01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
We got some good news in the way of hoping to get a franchise QB this year with Blaine Gabbert declaring. Link

As of right now, I'd rank him as my #4 QB behind Luck, Mallett, and Locker and ahead of Newton.

Blaine Gabbert Declaring definatly makes it much more likely a QB falls to us. But there are still enough teams ahead of us with QB needs that it's worrisome.

It's still extremely early but this is how I would rank them as of right now(as in relation to fit with the vikes)

1. Luck(obvisouly, if he declares)
2. Jake Locker
3. Cam Newton
4. Blaine Gabbert
5. Ryan Mallet

How I could see the draft playing out.

3. Buffalo - Cam Newton
7. San Francisco - Ryan Mallet(depends on the new coach could be one of the other 2)
10. Washington - Jake Locker
12. Minnesota - Blaine Gabbert

It looks good for the Vikings if Cleveland thinks they have the answer in Colt McCoy, Cincinnati sticks with Palmer, and Tennessee lets Fisher leave and sticks with Vince.

Ok.....Hypothetical situation:

All of the top-3 guys who declare for the draft are off the board by the time we select #12.....at this moment in time, is it feasible the Vikings drop back in the 1st round, add another 2nd or 3rd round pick, and still be able to get a guy like Gabbert?

Also, if we did get him, would Blaine live in Blaine?

It's a possbility but I am not sure it would be worth the risk. Not far below the Vikings is a group of 3 teams(Jacksonville, Oakland, and Miami) that all could want a QB.

It would be nice to move down and aquire some more picks but if by Chance a QB makes it to #12 I think they gotta take him.

vikes_28
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I've never watched Gabbert until tonight. I like what i see.

wogitalia
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
I think it would be worth us doing what needs to be done to move up to take Luck if he declares. Think of it as the franchise "maker" move. Absolutely sell out for him. Outside of OL we have the pieces to give him a good rookie season but more importantly we have a young offense that he could grow with.

I guess the question is what would it take? Would something like Ray Edwards and our first 2 picks be worth it for the Panthers? They move down, save money, don't create a QB conflict, can get a stud DE regardless and get a decent DE in Edwards and pick up a decent 2nd rounder.

I would be seriously open to the idea of giving up next years first also for Luck, just love him as a prospect.

I guess the alternative is to take any of the other QBs, all of whom as major projects, imo, and perhaps getting a McNabb type for a year or two, I think he could actually be a fairly good fit for us, dependent on the system we choose to run obviously. Get Locker or Gabbert as a developmental 2 year project type and over the next two years get the line and secondary sorted out. We have the RB and WR core sorted for the near future.

vikes_28
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I think it would be worth us doing what needs to be done to move up to take Luck if he declares. Think of it as the franchise "maker" move. Absolutely sell out for him. Outside of OL we have the pieces to give him a good rookie season but more importantly we have a young offense that he could grow with.

I guess the question is what would it take? Would something like Ray Edwards and our first 2 picks be worth it for the Panthers? They move down, save money, don't create a QB conflict, can get a stud DE regardless and get a decent DE in Edwards and pick up a decent 2nd rounder.

I would be seriously open to the idea of giving up next years first also for Luck, just love him as a prospect.

I guess the alternative is to take any of the other QBs, all of whom as major projects, imo, and perhaps getting a McNabb type for a year or two, I think he could actually be a fairly good fit for us, dependent on the system we choose to run obviously. Get Locker or Gabbert as a developmental 2 year project type and over the next two years get the line and secondary sorted out. We have the RB and WR core sorted for the near future.

I think no matter what, Locker is going to need the "aaron rodgers" treatment. It would be awesome if McNabb signed with the vikes.

yo123
01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I thought Mallet looked damn good tonight. Didn't quite come through at the end but showed some great touch on his throws and has an absolute rocket for an arm. Made a bunch of throws that would transfer to the NFL, although he does need to work on throwing on the run.

marshallb
01-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I thought Mallet looked damn good tonight. Didn't quite come through at the end but showed some great touch on his throws and has an absolute rocket for an arm. Made a bunch of throws that would transfer to the NFL, although he does need to work on throwing on the run.

I agree with you. I thought he looked great before the INT. He didn't get much for help either. They ran the ball ok, they had quite a few longer ones, but didn't run it well consistently. The OL was horrendous in pass protection and Mallett was sacked I think 5 times and pressured all game, which isn't gonna go well with his lack of mobility. On top of that his receivers dropped by my count 7 or 8 passes (ESPN said 6). He still needs some coaching, especially on his footwork and stepping into his throws as he seems to throw off balance a lot. If he's there at 12, I will be pissed if we don't take him unless it comes out that he has a bunch of character concerns or something like that.

General Zod
01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Annouced today that Tennesee will be keeping Fisher and that Vince Young will not be on the roster next season. This sucks because with Kerry Collins being 38, they will more then likely look at a QB in the draft. And they pick ahead of us.

Crazy_Chris
01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Annouced today that Tennesee will be keeping Fisher and that Vince Young will not be on the roster next season. This sucks because with Kerry Collins being 38, they will more then likely look at a QB in the draft. And they pick ahead of us.

grrrrrrr lol

Damn it I was hoping they would let Fisher go. Oh well it's a good move for the Tennessee Titans IMO, and a sucky move for the Vikings. However I do think(and hope) Jeff will prefer to trade for a Vet like Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn.

FuzzyGopher
01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
McNabb and Orton will be available. Hopefully they will help at least 1 qb fall to us.

Crazy_Chris
01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
McNabb and Orton will be available. Hopefully they will help at least 1 qb fall to us.

That too, hopefully 2 of SF, ARI, and Ten will go the Vet route and decide to pass on taking one of the QBs.

General Zod
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Mcnabb no, Orton...meh lol

wogitalia
01-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Was impressed with Mallett but wouldn't be a great fit for us. If we took him we would certainly need to spend several picks on the OL to protect him as he is the kind of guy that would look great behind a good line but is going to get smashed behind a bad line and calling our line bad would be a compliment.

That said, I think Luck is the only QB that I would actually want to draft and feel good about starting, especially for our team where they are going to need to be good in the pocket. Guys like Newton and Locker are extra bad because you don't want to teach them happy feet in the NFL by giving them such a bad pass protecting line.

I still think a guy like McNabb would be a very nice fit for us for a year or 2 while we Rodger's one of the prospects this year and honestly outside of personal issues on Newton there are 5 really good prospects.

Gabbert would be another nice fit for us but again would be best suited to sit a year and work through some of his flaws.

All of that said, the only guys I would feel comfortable passing on are Newton, Mallett or Locker(if he had a horrible post season) and even then it is more about fit and personal issues than talent. There are 5 QBs in this draft that have the physical tools to be elite NFL quarterbacks.

I'd still most like to move heaven and earth for Luck, love him as a prospect.

marshallb
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Mel Kiper's first big board was recently released I guess, and Kevin Seifert of ESPN posted his top 5 QB rankings, and where they rank on his overall BB.

1. Andrew Luck
9. Blaine Gabbert
13. Cam Newton
17. Ryan Mallett
25. Jake Locker

I'm kind of surprised to see that he has Gabbert that high. It seems like every professional draft analyst is really high on him, McShay has him as his #2 QB and mocked him in his top 5, Kiper, and Scott says he is very high on him.

yo123
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Sounds like Luck is staying at Stanford next year.

marshallb
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
That's surprising, I didn't expect that, but I don't think it really affects us. I've thought for quite a while that if Luck comes out the Panthers will take him and if he stays in school that they'll take one of AJ Green, Da'Quan Bowers, or Nick Fairley.

wogitalia
01-06-2011, 10:21 PM
That kills my trade up for Luck idea!

The more I think about it, the more I'd actually love to take Gabe Carimi and sort out the LT position. We could then take a RG in the 3rd or 4th and I'd actually be quite happy with our OL overall. Might even be able to get something for McKinnie for some team that is desperate and stupid. I really like Carimi as a LT prospect. We might even be able to jump down 5 or so spots and pick up a 3rd from one of the QB needy teams like Seattle.

This draft is really interesting for us, basically I'd like us to take a CB, OT or QB the most as I don't see a safety who really represents value where we are at. I'd actually still love to move Winfield to safety for the next couple of years and I've been saying it for a few years now. His coverage has really slipped but he can still tackle like a mofo and would be quick for a safety still and allowed to sit back and ballhawk a bit(assuming our defense will remain the same under Frazier). This way we can get value if PP7 or the Prince are available and fix the safety problem as well.

marshallb
01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
As I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep I was thinking about that. If the top QBs and defensive guys are gone, or the top defensive guys and 3 of the top QBs are gone and like with Clausen last year we don't like the QB that's available, then I'd love to trade down and build the OL. I was thinking about a team like Philly who could be very interested in Janoris Jenkins or Brandon Harris and want to move up ahead of Detroit. Then we could pick up their 2nd + another pick, which would be really nice with our lack of a 3rd with the debacle that was the Moss deal. I'd then take the top OT available after trading down, and I also really like Carimi, who would be a great fit in the power run system that Frazier wants to run. Then with the two seconds take an OG/C and a S, guys such as Kris O'Dowd, Mike Pouncey, Stefen Wisniewski, or David DeCastro (if he declares) and Rahim Moore or Deunta Williams. That way we've got the OL to protect whatever franchise QB we get next year or Webb if he is given the chance and proves that he could work.

wogitalia
01-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah that is my feeling as well, would love to have the line basically sorted, long term we'd have to replace Hutch but he should still have a few years in him and makes a great mentor for the rest.

Something like moving down to 16 or so to grab Carimi(assuming his grade stays similar to the current grade) and picking up a 3rd or 4th in the process would be a great move long term.

It's a tough draft though, there are plenty of legitimate QB prospects but I still don't mind waiting until next year either to get the QB if it means putting a line in front of him that he can step right in behind. I think you really need to either let them sit or give them a line that protects them if you want long term success unless they are truly special.

Either way we really can't go wrong in this draft, basically as long as we don't draft a RB in the first 3 rounds then I will be fine with it. Obviously certain guys I would like more than others but really we are in a good drafting position as far as being able to get both needs and best player available value.

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
We should just bring back Moss and draft Julio Jones. Add in McDaniels and we can launch an all out aerial assault on anyone that dares to **** with us. ****, trade for the sex cannon and we can have some 5 wide **** it I'm going deep goodness all day. Defense? That **** is for pussies. Hope you have a good offense because we will put up points like the Washington Mystics mother ******.

yo123
01-07-2011, 01:30 AM
I like the way you think. Except we should steal Martz from Chicago and swing a deal to get Mallet. 80 yard bombs every play ************.

vikes_28
01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I like the way you think. Except we should steal Martz from Chicago and swing a deal to get Mallet. 80 yard bombs every play ************.

It's like culpepper to moss all over again.

Morton
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Question: Why not just go into the 2011 season with Joe Webb as your franchise QB? I think if they gave him a whole offseason to receive snaps as the #1 QB, he might develop into something down the line.

He looked pretty great against Philadelphia, didn't he? Why are the Vikes giving up on him already?

marshallb
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Question: Why not just go into the 2011 season with Joe Webb as your franchise QB? I think if they gave him a whole offseason to receive snaps as the #1 QB, he might develop into something down the line.

He looked pretty great against Philadelphia, didn't he? Why are the Vikes giving up on him already?

You pretty much answered your own question when you said "he MIGHT develop into something down the line". In this QB driven league you don't put your franchise into the hands of a might develop.

Also where did you get that we are giving up on him? Just because we're rumored to be interested in a QB doesn't mean that the team has given up on him at all, especially when it's this early in the draft process.

MNtoWA Guy
01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
^Webb looked good playing against Philly because he was playing with a lead, and didn't have to do a whole lot of diagnosing and dissecting of the Eagle's D. Fast forward a week and look at his game vs Detroit for evidence as to why we are not sold on Webb as the answer at QB next year. In a close game with a defense who was pressuring him heavily he started making bad decisions, poor throws, and took a lot of sacks instead of throwing the ball away as he was scrambling around. Now some of this can be chalked up to being a rookie, but for Vikings fans who had to deal with another mobile QB with poor accuracy and decision making (T-Jack) it is a repeat of what was wrong with our organization under Chilly.

Personally I think Webb is farther along as a QB at this point in his career than T-Jack currently is as a 5th year pro. However, it is a little odd to name Webb the starter after seeing him in action for 2.5 games. Also, take into account that Frazier was starting Webb out of desperation, not choice. He couldn't really start Ramsey (who had been in our system all of 1 week), and all week before both games Frazier continued to hint that he would start Favre if he was ready. Webb was a Chilly pick and Frazier does not have any ties to him, so he may want to bring in a QB he likes more.

B-rand
01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
With Luck deciding to go back to Stanford another year, the 2012 draft already could have a couple huge QB prospects with Luck, possibly Matt Barkley, possibly Terrelle Pryor.

But for me to get on board with waiting another year, we'd have to pick up a guy like Kevin Kolb, or somebody who will play well next season and not retire after that.

jsang74
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
We should just bring back Moss and draft Julio Jones. Add in McDaniels and we can launch an all out aerial assault on anyone that dares to **** with us. ****, trade for the sex cannon and we can have some 5 wide **** it I'm going deep goodness all day. Defense? That **** is for pussies. Hope you have a good offense because we will put up points like the Washington Mystics mother ******.

We already have his **** it I'm going deep favorite, Bernard berrian. You should apply for the OC job.

trevhipp12
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Dream Offseason:

Sign: Richard Marshall CB Panthers
Resign/extend: Rice, Greenway, Leber, Peterson, Longwell, Robison
Cut ties with: Favre, Pat Williams, Edwards, Madieu, Tyrell, Cook, Sullivan, Berrian, Lewis

TRADE:
1(12) to IND for 1(22), 2(21)

2(21), conditional 2012 3rd that can turn into 2nd if we make playoffs and Kevin Kolb starts at least 10 games to PHI for Kevin Kolb QB.

Draft:
1(22) Mike Pouncey G Florida
2(11) Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State
4(??) Greg Little WR UNC
5(8) Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin
5(19) Owen Maricic FB Stanford
6(??) Philip Livas KR Louisiana State
7(??) trade for a 6th next year

QB: Kevin Kolb, Joe Webb, Rhett Bomar
RB: Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Lorenzo Booker
FB: Owen Maricic
WR: Sidney Rice, Greg Little, Percy Harvin, Greg Camarillo, Philip Livas
TE: Visanthe Shiancoe, Jimmy Kliensassar, Lance Kendricks
LT: Bryant McKinnie, Ryan Cook
LG: Steve Hutchinson, Chris DeGeare
C: Stefen Wisniewski, Jon Cooper
RG: Mike Pouncey, Chris DeGeare
RT: Phil Loadholt, Ryan Cook

LE: Everson Griffen, Brian Robison
DT: Kevin Williams, Fred Evans
DT: Jimmy Kennedy, Letroy Guion
RE: Jared Allen, rookie
LOLB: Ben Leber, Erin Henderson
MLB: EJ Henderson, Jasper Brinkley
ROLB: Chad Greenway, Heath Farwell, Kenny Onatalu
LCB: Richard Marshall, Antoine Winfield
FS: Cedric Griffin, Eric Frampton
SS: Husain Abdullah, Jamarca Sanford
RCB: Chris Cook, Asher Allen
NCB: Antoine Winfield, Asher Allen

K: Ryan Longwell
P: Chris Kluwe
KR: Philip Livas

Look at that OFFENSIVE LINE, and if Cedric can play FS that secondary is pretty nasty too. Little is this years Mike Williams IMO, was a 2nd rounder before he got suspended, and Kolb has a lot to work with.

akvikefan89
01-19-2011, 12:48 AM
NOT a Kolb fan at all.

the_legend_killer
01-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Our best defensive back gets demoted to a nickel corner?

vikes_28
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I like the Oline help. But I don't like Kolb

wogitalia
01-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Look at that OFFENSIVE LINE,

We would still be starting the worst player in McKinnie but I like that you at least want to address it.

Our secondary is still woeful. Winfield to safety makes way more sense. He is the best tackler on our defense and should do well at safety as he basically plays corner as a safety these days anyway.

I also hate the idea of trading for Kolb, I just don't like him at all. If we are going to do the draft pick trade(which I like) I'd rather keep those draft picks and get some good young talent, hopefully secondary or OL help as that is what we need.

Kid_Ego
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I agree we need a qb but I think there are goingto beoptions with out giving up anythingin trade.
Im totally down with the pouncy pick. he could start at rg this year and maybe replace hutch later on. Taking a young left tackle wouldnt hurt either and maybe getting a a pick for Miss Mckinnie or the man formally known as mount. Lately he is the one getting mounted.
I am not against some of the latter picks at qb I really think the qb from alabama might be a great steal hes smart good arm started against top notch talent and won alot of games he reminds me of Brad Johnson.
Sure hes not a glamour pick but keep in mind his dad is in football hes been raised around the game and he was is a very bright guy. there will be those who question his production but Sabans offense and that run game I dont see any reason to air it out. I think we need to acquire some talent through free agency. But this appears to be a season where free agency may be loaded I love the coaching staff descions we have made. I wouldnt be against signing a free agent qb absolutely no way we should give up draft picks for a unproven qb like kolb. When there are qbs like orton, Young and possibly mcnabb. all three have done more than KOLB.

Heisman
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Who do you guys want most for us at QB and why??

I'm one of those guys who always reads all the forum stuff but never posts anything but i'm bored today haha

Personally i like gabbert, his footwork is crap but he just feels most like a franchise QB to me. I'd also like Newton or Locker, in that order. Pretty much and of the big 4 minus mallett. He doesn't fit our system and his character concerns me

marshallb
01-31-2011, 05:12 PM
What system is it that Mallett doesn't fit? Unless I missed something, neither Frazier nor Musgrave have said what we're going to run, other than that we're going to be power run oriented. Which honestly IMO fits Mallett well, run a lot of PA to allow deep routes to open up, which would fit well with Harvin and Rice both stretching the field well.

I would be fine with any of the QBs other than Newton actually. I just don't see it with him. He hasn't shown to me that he can beat teams from within the pocket, and as we've all seen, you can't succeed over time in the NFL as a QB unless it's from within the pocket.

Locker scares me big time, but I see potential in him. I would have to rank him 3rd after Gabbert and Mallett. None of them are great quality QB prospects and all have big concerns.

I honestly would probably rather not take a QB this year and rebuild a bit slower. Use our first on Carimi, which gets rid of McKinnie who I hate and has struggled even more so with speed rushers as he's aging and is getting less of a push in the running game as his feet get slower and slower. Then in the second I'd like to see someone like Wisniewski who can play both C and G. Then next year we'll probably be picking sooner unless we get better QB play from Webb or a veteran and then we can get a guy like Luck or Barkley, depending on how bad we are, or settle with a Kirk Cousins, Landry Jones, or Nick Foles type of guy. Then we can protect them and with the skill position guys we have, they're in a perfect position to succeed.

Heisman
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
What system is it that Mallett doesn't fit? Unless I missed something, neither Frazier nor Musgrave have said what we're going to run, other than that we're going to be power run oriented. Which honestly IMO fits Mallett well, run a lot of PA to allow deep routes to open up, which would fit well with Harvin and Rice both stretching the field well.

Yeah my bad i didn't phrase that well, i just kind of meant that being mobile isn't his forte and behind our terrible o-line... well mobility couldn't hurt.

I love your idea of going O-line in this draft with that slow rebuilding process and all but only if i knew we were gonna be bad enough next year to get a high-ish pick, like where we are now. I think at the very least being within striking distance of your potential franchise QB is important, and hey while we're at #12 might as well take a guy we like right?

marshallb
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah my bad i didn't phrase that well, i just kind of meant that being mobile isn't his forte and behind our terrible o-line... well mobility couldn't hurt.

I love your idea of going O-line in this draft with that slow rebuilding process and all but only if i knew we were gonna be bad enough next year to get a high-ish pick, like where we are now. I think at the very least being within striking distance of your potential franchise QB is important, and hey while we're at #12 might as well take a guy we like right?

Yea, that makes sense. I just don't see a quick fix in place, and even if we do better next year, it's not like we can't trade up to get a guy we want if we feel he's the final piece of the puzzle.

Heisman
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
This is true. Btw how high is barkley supposed to go? I already know Luck obviously but no little about Barkley other than he is the QB on USC

marshallb
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
This is true. Btw how high is barkley supposed to go? I already know Luck obviously but no little about Barkley other than he is the QB on USC

A lot depends on his next season, and that's if he even declares. He was a great prospect coming out of high school and with another season of improvement, he could easily be an elite prospect. He had a real nice season and improved nicely from his freshman season, especially in TD:INT going from 15:14 to 26:12 and increased his completion percentage from 59.9% to 62.6%. If he can continue his progression like that, he'll be in the discussion for the top pick whenever he comes out.

wogitalia
02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
As I've said, I'm very much on the OT bandwagon.

With Carimi seemingly slipping, I'd love to see us try and move down to the 20s and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. Nab Carimi. Get probably a C(Wisniewski) and a G(Ijalana) with the 2nds/3rd. Would give us an awesome foundation with Loadholt on the left and Hutch at LG. Hutch the only one needing any kind of long term replacement.

Later round picks I'd love to see used on a developmental safety/LB/CB, really can't go wrong with any of those spots.

I'd love to try and trade McKinnie, probably a team out there that would give a 3rd for him.

Squirrel
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
me too, imagine AP with even an average O-line...

prock
02-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I think this year, assuming our staff doesn't like any of the quarterbacks, it would be fine to completely revamp something, whether that be the secondary or the offensive line. Obviously the offensive line would be more important, and would help our biggest weapon. I don't really love any of the offensive lineman much though. I would be perfectly content with trading back to pick up Carimi or Sherrod in the first as wogitalia suggested. If we could pick up a third by trading down ten spots and end up drafting Carimi/Wisniewski/Moffit, that would be pretty ******* awesome. That would make for a big, hardy Big Ten-seasoned offensive line. I dig it.

russie
02-02-2011, 04:51 PM
personally, i think that if we cant get blaine gabbert, we should look at one of the top 2 cb's,>top o-line>top d-line. i dont care how great cam newton's arm is. you know who else had a big arm? jamarcus russell. newton is nothing but trouble. i dont believe for a minute that he "knew nothing" about his father trying to extort money. add that to the academic cheating, burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice, and i think he's nothing but trouble.

marshallb
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
personally, i think that if we cant get blaine gabbert, we should look at one of the top 2 cb's,>top o-line>top d-line. i dont care how great cam newton's arm is. you know who else had a big arm? jamarcus russell. newton is nothing but trouble. i dont believe for a minute that he "knew nothing" about his father trying to extort money. add that to the academic cheating, burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice, and i think he's nothing but trouble.

Well, I don't see anyway that Peterson or Amukamara are still there at 12. If they are then yea, they would be well worth the pick.

General Zod
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
And Im for this too. But really, what offensive line man do you think would be worth it at 12? I think Solder and Castonzo would be a reach. Peterson and Amukamara will likely be gone. We are in kinda a tough spot. QB-wise I want nothing to do with Newton or Mallet. Locker if he falls to us in the 2nd round, then yes(but that wont happen).

General Zod
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
These are the guys at the senior bowl that the Vikes scout team were interviewing.

Joe Lefeged S Rutgers
Lance Kendricks TE Wisc.
Colin Kaepernick QB Neveda
Lee Smith TE Marshall
Owen Marecic FB Stanford

prock
02-02-2011, 05:30 PM

I have a very different view on Newton. I think he could be a very good quarterback, but I would rather see the experiment play out with a different team. That being said, I would be fine with him here. I don't care if he knew that his father was trying to make money off of him. That is irrelevant. I don't care that he cheated on tests as a freshman, he got kicked out and learned a lesson. It is irrelevant. Burglary, larceny, and obstruction of justice are some of the biggest hyperbolas I have ever seen. I really don't think he is trouble. There are players with much worse red flags that most people would downsize. I understand the want for a pocket quarterback, but I really disagree that Newton is nothing but trouble.

prock
02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
These are the guys at the senior bowl that the Vikes scout team were interviewing.

Joe Lefeged S Rutgerssafeties are good
Lance Kendricks TE Wisc.we don't really need a TE, and unless we get him in the fourth or later (unlikely) i would hate this
Colin Kaepernick QB Nevedashoot me in the ******* face, i would rather have joe webb
Lee Smith TE Marshalllate round tight end would be fine
Owen Marecic FB StanfordAD has been much better without a fullback in front of him, but i dont know if that is because Tahi/Dugan suck that bad or if he just doesnt run as well with one. this is interesting.

responses in bold

FuzzyGopher
02-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Joe Lefeged S Rutgers
Lance Kendricks TE Wisc.
Colin Kaepernick QB Neveda
Lee Smith TE Marshall
Owen Marecic FB Stanford

There was an article that said we talked to Locker as well.

General Zod
02-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Ah ok, I just went off Scott's report.

jsang74
02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Hopefully it was something along the lines of "you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat."

Imrighturwrong
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
idk about you guys, but there are 3 mid-late round guys i would like us to take.
1. Tawain Jones (projected 4-5 round) RB Eastern Washington- I know we have peterson and all, but for how long? his contract expires at the end of the 2011 season. Tawain led Eastern Washington to an FCS National Championship with his amazing speed and versatility. He is quite the athlete and would make for a great AP replacement or 3rd down back.
2. Josh Gatlin (5-6) CB NDSU- well lets be honest, our corners were terrible last year. Josh's speed and great hands would make him a great edition to our defensive back field.
3. Matt Czar (6-7) WR/RB/QB Villanova- You name it he can do it. He threw caught and ran for TD's in the FCS quarterfinal game vs Appalachian St.

We also need a QB in the first round.

djp
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a DE with 12. I don't like any of the first round OL or QB all that much. Kerrigan would be a rock solid pick at 12 to play opposite Allen.

russie
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/2/7/1980573/rick-spielman-our-goal-is-to-try-to-get-that-3rd-rd-pick

Spielman: "Our Goal Is To Try To Get That 3rd Rd Pick"
by rj-b on Feb 9, 2011 10:51 PM CST

Gonzo's note: Since this FanPost has generated a lot of comments, I thought I'd bump it to the front page where it could get a little more notice. Hopefully we'll be doing this a little more frequently than we have been in the past, so keep the awesome FanPosts coming, folks!

This morning I podcasted PA's Feb 3rd Hr 3 on KFAN. Rick Spielman was on fielding some questions -- well, the questions he could answer, anyway -- and i found this to be pretty revealing. Shortly after the 42min mark of the podcast, Spielman had this to say in response to a caller asking about any creative moves in absence of our 3rd rd pick:

“Yeah, again I think as you go into this draft -- and that’s what makes the process so exciting, especially on draft day because so many things happen behind the scenes -- and there’s no reason where potentially we can move out of #12 and move down a little bit later in a draft because we like maybe an offensive tackle in this draft, or we like a defensive lineman, or we like a corner or a safety coming out, and then swing back around to get that third round pick back, but also still get some very good players.

What we’ll do is, as we go through this process and we get everything finalized, we actually put together a, almost like a book on what other teams, what we project them, that they’re going to do, what needs are they going to fill -- for example, if you’re going to move down from the 12th pick, and let’s say you still want to take a quarterback, for example; well, if there’s four teams that already have established quarterbacks that you know aren’t going to take a quarterback, you could potentially move down, pick up that pick, and still get your player. But also there are risks to that, too, because if someone’s down further than that they could still make that jump ahead of you.

So there’s a lot of mind games going on during that draft day, but there’s a lot of options, a lot of things that could potentially happen. But we’re hoping, and our goal is to try to get that 3rd rd pick some way, shape or form.”
It didn't sound as if he was playing within the confines of that particular scenario; rather, it sounded like that actually may be their plan on draft day. What I find pretty intriguing is that he mentions 'four teams' in a trade-down scenario, which would indicate the scenario most people have been speculating on -- swapping with NE at #17 (and getting back our #74 in the 3rd).

Nothing huge, I guess. Just thought it added a little more validity to the idea of trading down -- which some people seem to be vehemently against, for whatever reason.

Heisman
02-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I was bored this morning and have a school dance later sooo I am killing time so I made a Vikings mock draft, and then kinda combined it with my thoughts on free ageny. Lemme know what you guys think!

1 (12). Jake Locker, QB, Washington

**The Vikings have a tendency of drafting players who blow up their junior seasons and have underperforming senior seasons, like Marcus McCauley and John Sullivan. I think the Vikings know that this is the year where they need to secure the position and draft a bonafide Franchise QB. I really think Locker can be that guy, and although his completion percentage comes into question, I think the reason is the lack of talent surrounding him, specifically at the WR position where the drops were just awful. May need time to develop, but can afford to wait behind behind either a veteran FA, or the man with potential nobody remembers, Joe Webb.

2 (43). Ben Ijalana, OG-OT, Villanova

**Ben Ijalana is being projected anywhere from the 1st-3rd round. Many teams think he could be a starting LT at the next level, while others think he is merely a guard. I like him as a player and think he brings good value here. With McKinnie's inconsistent play, and Steve Hutchinson and Anthony Herrera aging, a new offensive lineman is necessary and
the versatility of Ijalana is nothing but helpful. While this offensive line crop is lacking elite players at the top, there are about 10 that could be labeled fringe 1st rounders which will allow some players to drop, to the second, like Ijalana here.

3 (None)

**We dont have a 3rd round pick and i'm not projecting us to get one in this mock. However, Spielman has said he would love to get a 3rd-rd pick back, and if we are targeting either Locker or an offensive lineman, the value might be there to move down just a little bit. For example, we could move down 5 spots with New England and get our 3rd (#74) back and still get our man.

4 (105). Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma

**Carter was a very productive player and was a team captain at Oklahoma. He is a hard hitting safety who was even viewed as the leader of the South defense at the senior bowl, which is quite the accolade. He is best when he is in a deep zone and can see everything in front of him, which is perfect for the cover 2. This is probably as far as he will drop, but it is far from impossible.

5 (136). Denarius Moore, WR, Tennessee

**This guy is a beast. He is, by far, the most underrated prospect in the draft this year. He is unranked by many top analysts, and is given a 52/100 by ESPN's Scouts Inc. I watch this guy and he looks like a 2nd round prospect. He is EXTREMELY athletic, a crafty route runner, and probably has some of the best ball skills in the class. With Berrian underperforming and Lewis and Camarillo largely underwhelming, this guy makes sense. I have no idea if he is anywhere near the Vikings' radar but I love this guy and this would be amazing value in my opinon.

5 (147). Lee Smith, TE, Marshall

**The Vikings expressed interest in him at the senior bowl, which can't be overlooked. More of a blocking tight end in the mold of Jim Kleinsasser. He is a slightly worse blocker coming out of college in comparison but is a more polised, dynamic weapon in the passing game. Kleinsasser is getting old and had lots of penalties last year, and it makes sense to begin to groom the replacement for the longest-tenured Viking. I strongly believe the Vikings will make a move to get Lee Smith at some point in this draft.

6 (167). Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock

**The Vikings love taking developmental interior lineman in the late rounds, like Chris DeGeare last year and John Sullivan. Speaking of John Sullivan, he has been unspectacular at best. Is he the answer? Maybe. It's hard to tell because of his plethora of calf injuries. At the very least Fusco could prodive depth, and once he adjusts to the speed of the game, he could become a starter.

7 (204). Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford

**Tahi will be gone after this year. Tahi is awful at both blocking, receiving, and running. Enter Marecic, a player who played both offense and defense for Stanford but projects better as a FB in the NFL. He is a hard nosed guy with top intangibles who could be kept on the team for years. Top fullback in the draft. Most likely lasts until 7th round due to lack of value at the fullback position. Vikings scouts loved him at the Senior Bowl.

**********FREE AGENCY**********

**With the CBA and everything, i don't see this being a huge off-season for us, free agent wise. I think we are a quarterback away... from the playoffs. I think our O-line and QB positions need rebuilding, but our defense simply needs reloading. Everson Griffen, while he is an idiot, was only internally punished. This means the Vikings have plans for him, and i believe he will be starting. I think Guion earns the starting job on the inside as well. That's why i don't think we add anybody new there.

**I think our need for a cornerback is completely exagerrated. Chris Cook was promising pre-injury, and he is definitely an above average nickleback. Cedric Griffin will be back, and Asher Allen, who gets better every year, sounds like an outstanding 4th corner to me.

**The one free agent signing I see happening for this team is Melvin Bullitt, the safety from the Indianapolis Colts. He already has played for a Cover 2 defense and has connections with Frazier. He has plenty of starts with Sanders always being hurt, but is ready to be a solid starter and the Colts have a tendency of not retaining their defensive free agents.

I think we sign Bullitt, release Madieu "Man of the Year" Williams and draft a rookie to compete for the other safety spot with Tyrell Johnson. Tyrell was a very promising prospect, and for one reason or another just hasn't put things together in the NFL. If you remember correctly, EJ Henderson was a very poor player for 2-3 years until one year he just stepped up and became the leader of the defense. I do not know if Tyrell Johnson, Chris Cook, or Asher Allen will undergo this same transformation but it proves that it is possible. If Tyrell Johnson plays like the hard-hitting, ball-hawking, playmaking safety he can be this defense will receive a major upgrade.

**The Vikings could look to free agency to fix the offensive line, but I am assuming all of our options will be retained by their previous teams. Patriots have already said they will use the Franchise tag on Logan Mankins. Carl Nicks, I believe, has made the pro bowl as an OG but he couldn't be the highest paid OG on our team because of Hutchinson's "poison pill" contract. Jared Gaither, OT for the Ravens, went on IR last year so they shifted Oher over to LT and were happy with the results. Gaither says he will only be happy if he is a Left Tackle so Baltimore could have problems keeping him. He would be a very good player who could be our starting LT for years, but to be honest I don't think any of these players get away.

**Lastly, quarterback. I think it would be in our best interests to obtain a veteran to start for a year, because while I like the QB's in this class, the would all be best served to spend a year holding a clipboard. It's not vital to bring in a vet because Joe Webb would make a great "Bridge-starter" to bridge the gap between eras of Qb's, but it would be nice. Even bringing in someone Mark Brunell-like to be a 3rd stringer would be helpful. Matt Hasselbeck or Donovan McNabb if he gets cut would be good options.

**All of this is assuming we re-sign Greenway, Leber, and Rice other players we are expected to re-sign. We would let Edwards and others we are expecting to leave walk.

General Zod
02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a DE with 12. I don't like any of the first round OL or QB all that much. Kerrigan would be a rock solid pick at 12 to play opposite Allen.

Scott got us taking Cameron Jordan in his latest mock.

The_Dude
02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I like the Jordan pick. Actually, I think that I could be happy with a number of different players in the first round. I really expect the Vikes to try hard to move down in the 1st to get a 3rd rounder back. Even if they do that, there are so many holes to fill that I could be happy with players such as Locker, Kerrigan, Carimiri, Costanzo, or even Julio Jones..

Our 1st round pick could go in so many different directions that it will be an interesting build up to the draft to say the least.

marshallb
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Well, here's my first full Vikings mock of the year, I've went over some of the major free agent moves I see happening, and also added our first rounder of 2012.

2011 free agency:
Re-sign Chad Greenway
Franchise tag Sidney Rice
Let Ray Edwards walk
Pat Williams retires
Re-sign Ben Leber
Re-sign Brian Robison
Sign a veteran QB in free agency to a short term deal (like 2 or 3 years), not sure which one, depends on who is available, but I don’t see McNabb happening
Sign Dawan Landry S Baltimore – Provides an upgrade over Madeiu Williams and Husain Abdullah or whoever else we’re starting there.

1. **Trade Pick #12 to Philadelphia for their 1st #23 and 2nd #55**
With pick #23, select: Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
The explanation on this is fairly simple. McKinnie is aging and has been struggling more and more the past couple years. Carimi can sit behind McKinnie for a year or he could battle him for the starting spot right away his rookie year, and could also provide competition to Loadholt on the right side. I’m not a big fan of any of the QBs likely to be available at this time, so I’d rather get some protection for the franchise guy whoever that is, and also build up a better run blocking line for Adrian.

2a. With pick #43, select: Rahim Moore S UCLA
Pretty simple explanation here as well, our S are very likely the worst in the NFL, or at least right there with them. Signing Landry as I have projected would help out a lot, but we could still use help there. Moore is the best S in this draft and would be an instant upgrade, starting his rookie year.

2b. With pick #54 from Philadelphia, select: Marcus Cannon OG/T TCU
Again, rebuilding the offensive line, Cannon can play both G and T, but likely projects better inside as a guard. He can play at RG as a rookie, or at least compete with Herrera, who is coming off a torn ACL and while he is a decent player, he can be upgraded. As Hutch is aging, Cannon can eventually shift over to LG and take over for him, providing us with another great LT/LG combo, particularly in the power run blocking, in Carimi and Cannon. He could also play RT if Loadholt were to continue to struggle as he did this past year.

4. With pick #105, select: Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
With Edwards pretty much guaranteed to be gone, Robison also a FA, and Everson Griffen showing off the character concerns, we could use a DE, someone to at least add some depth and competition. Romeus was viewed as a first rounder coming into this season, but he suffered through injuries in his senior season which held him out of all but a couple games. The talent is still there, and he could be a steal if he’s able to stay healthy, if not, it’s only a 4th round pick.

5a. With pick #136, select: Jalil Brown CB Colorado
We at the very least need some depth at CB with Griffin having suffered his second torn ACL in as many seasons, and Chris Cook being unproven and also struggling with knee injuries last year. Asher Allen proved last year that he’s not starting CB material, but I do feel that he could be a nice nickel back. I’m sick of having to sign guys like Frank Walker mid season especially as more than just an emergency guy, so just having enough depth would be nice. Brown is a big physical corner who should fit well into the cover 2.

5b. With pick #147 from New York Giants, select: Ian Williams DT Notre Dame
With Pat Williams supposedly retiring, we could at least use some depth at DT. I’d feel fairly comfortable with Guion, Evans, and Kennedy rotating alongside Kevin Williams, but some additional depth would be nice, especially with Evans being a free agent this year as well. Ian Williams is a nice run stuffing 4-3 NT who would fit right into the rotation.

6. With pick #167, select: Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse
If Greenway were to leave in free agency, we’d need to address OLB earlier, but even if he stays as I have projected, Leber is a free agent and depth wouldn’t hurt beyond them. Hogue is a bit undersized, but is quick and should at least be good on special teams.

7. With pick #203, select: Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio State
If Rice were to leave in free agency, this would be another position we’d look to address earlier, but even if we keep him as I have projected, we still need some depth. Berrian is terrible, and Greg Lewis, Jaymar Johnson, and Hank Baskett are all free agents, so some depth is needed. Sanzenbacher doesn’t have much upside, but should be a solid slot guy and could develop into a nice possession receiver.

2012 1st round Mock

1. Picking somewhere around #5, select: Matt Barkley QB USC
If we don’t find a potential franchise QB in this draft, then we better do it next year. Barkley is a great QB prospect, and whenever he comes out he’ll be well worth a high first round pick and could even challenge Luck.

prock
02-17-2011, 08:17 PM
This would be such a sick offseason.

General Zod
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
We havent really talked about Tyron Smith much here. If we got him at 12 I'd be ok with that. Any thoughts?

marshallb
02-19-2011, 12:16 PM
We havent really talked about Tyron Smith much here. If we got him at 12 I'd be ok with that. Any thoughts?

He's a solid prospect, but he just doesn't fit with what Frazier wants the offense to do. Frazier wants to run a power run based offense, which isn't what Smith does well. He's played at 280, and that just isn't conducive to getting a good push in the run game. He's supposedly up to 300+, but there's a big difference in being 300 pounds before the combine and actually playing at it.

russie
02-19-2011, 06:31 PM

if we stay at 12, i probably wouldnt be to happy, as he seems like a small bit of a reach. if we could trade down a few spots, maybe pick up a 3rd rounder, then i'd be pretty happy

BuckNaked
02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I would really like to get Locker in the 1st round. So much that I'm probably deadset on it at this point.

Heisman
02-20-2011, 07:44 PM
I would really like to get Locker in the 1st round. So much that I'm probably deadset on it at this point.

I agree. There are other QB's I would be fine with but i love locker and think he could be a franchise quarterback in this league. We would (most likely) not even have to give up any picks to get him or possibly even trade down

russie
02-21-2011, 06:21 AM
I agree. There are other QB's I would be fine with but i love locker and think he could be a franchise quarterback in this league. We would (most likely) not even have to give up any picks to get him or possibly even trade down

if we could trade down and still land locker, i'd be cool with it

General Zod
02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Frazier had made it clear that he wants to upgrade the D-line in the draft. And commented that he will fix the run defense that was not up to its usual high standards. So with fat Pat more then likely leaving and K-Will possibly getting suspended for 4 games. It wouldnt surprise me at all if we took a DT at 12.

So, my DT wish list at 12 in this order..

1. Marcell Dareus
2. Nick Fairley
3A Corey Liuget
3B Stephen Paea

Liuget and Paea might seem like reaches at 12, but I got a feeling in the coming weeks Paea might start climbing some boards. And living in Big 10 country, I got to see a lot of Corey Liuget, and I like him a lot. Id be pretty happy with him lining up with K-Will.

FuzzyGopher
03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I still want Prince, he makes my trousers a little bit tighter. He just ran a 4.3 though so I doubt he falls to us. I would be a little upset if we went d-line in the first round, it seems like we have much bigger holes elsewhere. Although I guess if Edwards and Fat Pat walk there will be a huge need there as well. **** its depressing thinking about the future of this team....

General Zod
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I still wouldnt mind us trading down. This draft is deep with D linemen. Move down some and somehow get into the 3rd round.

Heisman
03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2011/02/could-vikings-add-a-tight-end.html

I'm not super excited about DJ Williams as a pure TE prospect, but i didn't know about how much Musgrave liked his two TE sets.

Considering all 3 of our TE's are FA's following this next season, would you guys be surprised to see us take a TE early like maybe rudolph in the 2nd round? Will he fall that far?

General Zod
03-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Taking one early would surprise me. But to be honest we need so much help in every position, they are so many different directions we could go in the draft that would benefit us. Well, I guess taking a RB high would surprise me.

Crazy_Chris
03-02-2011, 06:32 AM
I could see a TE in the later half of the draft... However I think the Vikes have more important needs to fufil in the first 2 rounds.

General Zod
03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
The more I think about it, I really not super impressed by any QBs in this draft. Gabbert is my favorite, but we have little shot at him. And there are some guys I like in the later rounds that would be good project types(Ponder, Dalton, Enderle). But we have Webb for our project QB.

vikes_28
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Saw on NFL Network today that we are working out Jake Locker. I like that.

BuckNaked
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Saw on NFL Network today that we are working out Jake Locker. I like that.

Yessssssssssssssssssss

General Zod
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Actually, we are going to have all of them in for a visit at some point, Mallett, Locker, Newton, Ponder, Gabbert.

Babylon
03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Actually, we are going to have all of them in for a visit at some point, Mallett, Locker, Newton, Ponder, Gabbert.

Yeah but you always remember the first one the most.

prock
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah but you always remember the first one the most.

First and last.

Babylon
03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
First and last.

How true. Are we talking about the same thing?

FuzzyGopher
03-17-2011, 09:47 PM
If we draft an OT in the 1st I will staple my dick to a burning building. Wish list for round 1 in order of preference.
1. Locker
2. Amukamara
3. Fairley
4. Bowers
5. Julio Jones

Crazy_Chris
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind if they took Tyron Smith, but I just don't think they will. As I don't think they are as down on McKinnie as some fans/media are.

My prefernence at 12 is a QB(Gabbert/Newton/Locker)/Prince Amukamara/Quinn or Bowers. If they are all gone I want to trade down and take Cameron Jordan/Jimmy Smith/Ryan Mallet or Christian Ponder(If we can get into the 20's).

prock
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't want Newton at all for a multitude of reasons. One, we already have an athletic quarterback that needs development. Two, I am sick of always being in the center of the media attention.

My order of preference in round 1 would be this:
1. Gabbert
2. Locker
3. Amukamara
4. Quinn
5. Bowers
6. Jones

FuzzyGopher
03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I keep seeing rumors of us being interested in Tyron Smith and it's starting to worry me. Last year we were linked to Cook and we took him and the year before we were linked to Harvin and we took him. Could we benefit from upgrading our tackles? Absolutely, but they are far from a weakness and we have much bigger needs elsewhere. Smith just looks like a guy that is going to bust. Sure he is built like a Greek God and has the athleticism to match, but he played RT at USC and played at under 300 pounds. Will he be able to keep that weight on? Can he play LT or are we going to be spending a high pick on a RT? I just don't trust USC guys for some reason. I'm not impressed by any of the other tackles either, and I certainly don't think they are worthy of being drafted at 12.

I think we take a QB if the guy they want is there, take an elite defensive lineman that falls or we trade back and try to get a 3rd rounder. Hopefully all this OT talk is just a smokescreen and we grab an elite guy that can contribute from day 1.

dannyz
03-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I would not take a QB in the 1ST. If you could get Locker in the 2ND Go for it, I would take Prince,Quinn,JJ Watt in the 1ST.

General Zod
03-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Locker will not be there in the 2nd round. He wont make it out of the top 15. I bet my house on it.

Heisman
03-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I keep seeing rumors of us being interested in Tyron Smith and it's starting to worry me. Last year we were linked to Cook and we took him and the year before we were linked to Harvin and we took him. Could we benefit from upgrading our tackles? Absolutely, but they are far from a weakness and we have much bigger needs elsewhere. Smith just looks like a guy that is going to bust. Sure he is built like a Greek God and has the athleticism to match, but he played RT at USC and played at under 300 pounds. Will he be able to keep that weight on? Can he play LT or are we going to be spending a high pick on a RT? I just don't trust USC guys for some reason. I'm not impressed by any of the other tackles either, and I certainly don't think they are worthy of being drafted at 12.

I think we take a QB if the guy they want is there, take an elite defensive lineman that falls or we trade back and try to get a 3rd rounder. Hopefully all this OT talk is just a smokescreen and we grab an elite guy that can contribute from day 1.

I'm also in the camp who wouldn't love an OT in the 1st, but think about it. if we are deciding we dont have the ammo to trade up, and either:

A. The top 3 QB's are gone (Locker goes to WASH)
OR
B. The QB we really want can be had later (Ponder, Mallett, Dalton, Stanzi?)

Drafting an LT with Tyron Smith's potential and our QBoTF in the same draft sounds pretty sick. Maybe we would just decide to trade down and grab our QB Later but going into a draft with a huge need of a LT tends do lead to huge, huge reaches

General Zod
03-20-2011, 11:28 AM
So far, out of all the rumor and press clippings from Frazier and people we've been looking at so far, I really think we are either going to take Gabbert/Locker/Newton at 12 or the best defensive line man left at that spot.

Crazy_Chris
03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Locker will not be there in the 2nd round. He wont make it out of the top 15. I bet my house on it.

I agree, in fact the closer we get to the draft the more likely it seems that the only 2 QBs may be available to the Vikes in the 2nd. Those 2 would be Kaepernick or Dalton neither of which would I want to draft.

General Zod
03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Mallett also giving us a visit.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/118337309.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

General Zod
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
I agree, in fact the closer we get to the draft the more likely it seems that the only 2 QBs may be available to the Vikes in the 2nd. Those 2 would be Kaepernick or Dalton neither of which would I want to draft.

I dont like Kaepernick, but I do like Dalton, but I dont like Dalton for us. lol

If you can follow that.

Crazy_Chris
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Leslie Frazie talked QBs and looking at trading for Kolb...

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier is not trying to be cagey about his team’s desperate need for help at quarterback.

“I can’t imagine a scenario where we wouldn’t add a quarterback [in the draft] at some point,” Frazier said Tuesday, adding that it would “ideally” come in the first two rounds. “[The idea] would be to get a young guy that could say, ‘OK, we’re going to ride with this guy. He’s our [Joe] Flacco, he’s our [Mark] Sanchez, he’s our Matt Ryan.”

But will a Flacco/Sanchez/Ryan be available? It may not matter.

After listening to Frazier speak twice in New Orleans, Tom Pelissero of espn1500.com is convinced Frazier wants a quarterback in round one of the draft.

“He raised the possibility of moving up from No. 12,” Pelissero writes.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune notes that Frazier would ideally like to draft a quarterback and have him step right in as a starter. Then again, he could also make a trade.

“You’d have to consider a guy like Kevin [Kolb] if he becomes available,” Frazier said.

Well, he’s very available. And it may not even cost the Vikings a 2011 draft pick to get him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/22/leslie-frazier-vikings-could-trade-up-for-qb-will-consider-kolb/

Wouldn't mind trading for Kolb as long as they don't trade #12 for him straigh up.

Crazy_Chris
03-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Made a mock for the Vikings, one note this mock was done under the assumption they will still have Sidney Rice.

1. Jake Locker QB Washington

http://www.gcobb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/JakeLocker1.jpg

Vikes trade down and pick up a 3rd from the Rams who will want to move up to secure Julio Jones.

2. Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Kyle-Rudolph.jpg

Ideally we would get Stephen Paea, Aaron Williams or Rahim moore, but all are likely to be gone. I Wasn't sure about going here TE at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Rudolph is pretty likely to be available and would easily be the BPA. Stefen Wisnewski would fill a bigger need but you can find quality centers late on.

3. John Moffit G/C Wisconsin

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/60/604231.jpg

Versatille Mauler who can play either guard or center. Would be a upgrade over John Sullivan at Center.

4. Jalil Brown CB Colorado

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics12/300/OR/ORFYALSVCECDWFA.20081006192649.jpg

5. Lee Ziemba OT Auburn

http://packerchatters.com/wp-content/uploads/NFLDraft_LeeZiemba.jpg

5. Shiloh Keo S Idaho
http://static.wix.com/media/20afd39529055ecf9d1882a1062e3a19.wix_mp

6. Greg Salas WR Hawaii

http://www.alohaupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/salas.jpg

7. Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma St.

http://blog.newsok.com/osu/files/2010/07/UgoChinasa.jpg

FuzzyGopher
03-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I would

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001084375/I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT_answer_2_xlarge.jp eg

if we got all of those guys.

marshallb
03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Honestly, I'd be pretty pissed if we spent a 2nd rounder on a TE with all the needs we have. I would definitely take Wisniewski there, and I don't think that Moffit can play C, I think he's a G only, but he'd be a pretty beast LG once Hutch retires. The rest of that would be very solid, definitely not spectacular, but solid, should give us some rotational/special teams guys.

Crazy_Chris
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I'd be pretty pissed if we spent a 2nd rounder on a TE with all the needs we have. I would definitely take Wisniewski there, and I don't think that Moffit can play C, I think he's a G only, but he'd be a pretty beast LG once Hutch retires. The rest of that would be very solid, definitely not spectacular, but solid, should give us some rotational/special teams guys.

Not gonna be able to fill every need in this years draft, gotta find the best balance between need and value.TE isn't a glaring need this year, it is still a need as Jim Kleinsasser is gone next year and they may not re-sign Shiancoe(will be turning 32 next offseason) either. While Kyle Rudolph isn't the ideal pick, he is probably going to be the best mix of need and value at our 2nd round pick.

As for Moffitt he definatly can play C, granted that most likely won't be his position in the longterm. But he has the versatility and thats the spot where the Vikes need him the most right now.

FuzzyGopher
03-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah maybe TE in the second is a high now that I think about it. What about grabbing someone like Jordan Cameron in the later rounds? I just realized that we have a bunch of picks on day three: 2 5th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and 2 7th rounders. I know we can't trade the comp picks but it gives us some ammunition to move up a little bit.

The_Dude
03-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Actually, i wouldn't hate it if we ended up taking Rudolph. A talented pass catching TE is pretty much what every rookie QB would love to have.

I really want Moffit as well. That guy is a beast who would be an instant upgrade at RG & would replace Hutch a couple of years down the line. Overall, I would be very satisfied with that draft.

Crazy_Chris
03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah maybe TE in the second is a high now that I think about it. What about grabbing someone like Jordan Cameron in the later rounds? I just realized that we have a bunch of picks on day three: 2 5th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and 2 7th rounders. I know we can't trade the comp picks but it gives us some ammunition to move up a little bit.

If they don't go with Kyle Rudolph, that would be the ideal situation. Get a late round recieving TE. They talked a bit about TEs on Path to the Draft yesterday. Mike Mayock brought up a couple of former B-ball TEs, they were Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas from Portland St. Normally they would be solid late round guys, but I agree with Mayock that they will go higher than they should. It is overall a pretty mediocre TE class, and everybody wants the next Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez.

FuzzyGopher
03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Talk_Vikings_NFL_Draft_with_Tom_Pelissero_at_1_pm_ Tuesday032811

If you have time there is some interesting stuff in there. Tom Pelissero is, in my opinion, the best Vikings beat writer and his predictions and assessments are usually spot on. He says the Vikings really like Gabbert and that he doesn't think we would take Locker at 12. He also says numerous times that the Vikings are okay with the talent they have at safety and think corner is a greater need, which seems insane to me but wtf do I know.

General Zod
03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

I guess we are looking at him..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tyron-Smith-to-tour-the-NFL-visit-Redskins-Chiefs-Browns-others.html

Heisman
03-30-2011, 05:35 PM
So it sounds like the Vikings brass really likes Gabbert. What would you guys be willing to give up for him? Would you trade our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks this year? Would that even be enough?

BuckNaked
03-30-2011, 06:36 PM
So it sounds like the Vikings brass really likes Gabbert. What would you guys be willing to give up for him? Would you trade our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks this year? Would that even be enough?

If I was gonna draft Gabbert, I'd hope that somebody would actually give me picks to take him. I'll take Jake the Snake Locker coming off of his shnazzy pro day in a heartbeat.

djp
03-30-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't think Newton has a chance of lasting to 12. And I think Locker is a massive reach at 12. I think a more likely option than us taking Locker at 12 is if Newton falls to picks 5-8 and we trade up looking for a QB. Zulgad mentioned on Path to the Draft that Frazier has twice said he has no problem moving up for his guy if that's what it takes and that quarterback is by far the most important position on the roster.

Now, I don't like Gabbert that much, especially in the top 10. I don't think Locker deserves a top 12 selection, so I think we'd be wise to pass. Newton's ceiling is just ridiculously high and he clearly can handle the spotlight and battle through adversity. There's obviously some character issues, but the guy is an absolute tank with a great arm and great wheels. The game just seems to come so naturally to him. He didn't score 50 touchdowns by accident.

He reminds me a lot of Daunte Culpepper, whether he becomes the good version or the bad version of Pep remains to be seen. I would take the chance. If Newton pans, you're looking at an offensive core of Newton/Peterson/Harvin/Rice(hopefully).. that is a damn good start to an NFL offense in my opinion.

As far as taking a DE goes, there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't matter how good your defense is if you can't put up 20 points a game consistently in today's NFL. The quarterback needs to be addressed, and it needs to be addressed correctly.

/Adderall induced jumbled thoughts

D-Unit
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM
There is some feeling that if the Cowboys want Tyron Smith and trade down from #9, that they can't go lower than #12 because the Vikings would scoop him up. How much stock would you invest in that thought?

djp
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
I really don't know. Frazier hasn't really given any indications on how he feels about McKinnie, but the truth is that McKinnie was terrible last year. If they feel like Smith can add weight to his frame and become at least an average run blocker, I think they could very well go in that direction. I really think Frazier's first priority is QB though. We tend to like the bigger lineman though. Perhaps last season's weekly blitzkreig on Favre would change that train of thought though.

I definitely think that if they stay at 12, they look at one of the DE's or Smith though.

D-Unit
03-30-2011, 07:51 PM
I really don't know. Frazier hasn't really given any indications on how he feels about McKinnie, but the truth is that McKinnie was terrible last year. If they feel like Smith can add weight to his frame and become at least an average run blocker, I think they could very well go in that direction. I really think Frazier's first priority is QB though. We tend to like the bigger lineman though. Perhaps last season's weekly blitzkreig on Favre would change that train of thought though.

I definitely think that if they stay at 12, they look at one of the DE's or Smith though.
Yeah, traditionally the Cowboys have shared the same philosolphy as the Vikings as far as OL types that they like. Big boys. But I think the modern trend is really starting to show that you need "athletes" at the position in order to keep up with today's NFL. Agree or disagree?

I hope the Cowboys have learned something and are looking to evolve. The success of Doug Free (a converted TE) might've finally convinced them to go in this new direction. Not sure though. If we take Marcus Cannon, then I'll know it's the same ole, same ole for the Boys.

djp
03-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, traditionally the Cowboys have shared the same philosolphy as the Vikings as far as OL types that they like. Big boys. But I think the modern trend is really starting to show that you need "athletes" at the position in order to keep up with today's NFL. Agree or disagree?

I hope the Cowboys have learned something and are looking to evolve. The success of Doug Free (a converted TE) might've finally convinced them to go in this new direction. Not sure though. If we take Marcus Cannon, then I'll know it's the same ole, same ole for the Boys.

It's no secret the league has shifted towards rushing and protecting the passer as much as possible. Wouldn't shock me at all to see both teams move away from their traditional big eaters on the line and move towards the leaner, quicker, more mobile linemen. The Vikings have an elite back, so they are probably less inclined to do so than the Cowboys who rely more on the short passing game than anything.

Heisman
04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Scouts_split_on_Blaine_Gabbert_but_Vikin gs_seem_interested032311

^^Another piece of evidence that connects the Vikings with Gabbert pretty strongly.

Anybody watched "Game Changers" on NFLN or nfl.com? I know there was a thread about it, but I think its pretty cool. And when I watch it, I can't help but think one of those two guys is gonna be our QB next year

FuzzyGopher
04-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Game Changers was pretty cool and I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. Gabbert looks amazing on paper but he is pretty underwhelming when he steps into action. If he can break some of his bad habits and become more comfortable in the pocket I think he will be pretty good. I think the only way we trade up for him is if he starts to slip a little bit and I think we would have to trade with Cleveland to grab him as I can see San Fran, Tennessee and Washington all being interested in him.

Locker at 12 seems like a reach to me but how far could we trade back and still ensure that he will still be there? Jacksonville and Miami seem like possible landing spots for him.

Babylon
04-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Game Changers was pretty cool and I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. Gabbert looks amazing on paper but he is pretty underwhelming when he steps into action. If he can break some of his bad habits and become more comfortable in the pocket I think he will be pretty good. I think the only way we trade up for him is if he starts to slip a little bit and I think we would have to trade with Cleveland to grab him as I can see San Fran, Tennessee and Washington all being interested in him.

Locker at 12 seems like a reach to me but how far could we trade back and still ensure that he will still be there? Jacksonville and Miami seem like possible landing spots for him.

Locker got huge interest this week from the Titans, they sent a large contingent to Seattle for the UW pro day (and had a private showing) when a lot of other teams were going club med by showing up for the USC event on the same day. As you mention and one of the guys on the Redskins board too, if you want a QB you have to take him and not #### around. Too risky.

Thing with Locker is you might be getting the best QB in the draft.

Crazy_Chris
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM

If by some chance he makes it to #6(Don't think he gets by #4) than that Scenario makes complete sense. However I can also see a scenario in which the Vikings move up to #1 and grab Gabbert. The Panthers seem to be very interested in a QB, but say they don't particulary want Gabbert. Lets say the Panthers decide Ryan Mallet(They gave him a workout) is their guy. They don't have a second round pick to manuever up inot the late 1st for him. That would make them primed to move down to pick Mallet.

I don't think that scenario is likely to happen either, but it's possible. I really like Gabbert, but I would rather target someone at 12(or via trade down) like Jake Locker/Ryan Mallet/ or Christian Ponder.

contento
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Made a mock for the Vikings, one note this mock was done under the assumption they will still have Sidney Rice.

Vikes trade down and pick up a 3rd from the Rams who will want to move up to secure Julio Jones.

Ideally we would get Stephen Paea, Aaron Williams or Rahim moore, but all are likely to be gone. I Wasn't sure about going here TE at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Rudolph is pretty likely to be available and would easily be the BPA. Stefen Wisnewski would fill a bigger need but you can find quality centers late on.

Versatille Mauler who can play either guard or center. Would be a upgrade over John Sullivan at Center.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics12/300/OR/ORFYALSVCECDWFA.20081006192649.jpg

5. Lee Ziemba OT Auburn

5. Shiloh Keo S Idaho

6. Greg Salas WR Hawaii

This is a good mock, I'd be pretty happy if it happened like this.

But I gotta say as a huge ND homer I wouldn't touch Rudolph in the 2nd. He has the physical traits to be the next Gonzo, but the dude is made of glass! His hamstrings are made of tissue paper.

I'd also prefer Jah Reid over Ziemba, absolutely love Moffit though, I think he replaces worthless Sullivan.

We've got the 2 compensatory picks as well, but maybe you made this before they were announced

The_Dude
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
just a little FYI from PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/05/vikings-say-they-are-looking-at-five-positions-with-no-12-pick/

Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman spoke at a charity event Tuesday. It should come as no surprise he was vague regarding his draft plans.

“Knowing where we’re going to be at, there will be probably five positions that I know we’ll look at our 12th pick and then we’ll sort that out,” Spielman said via Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “Like I said, there are a lot of other needs to fill at that 12th position if it’s not a quarterback. I can tell you this: We’re going to take the best player available when it comes to our pick. That I know.”

So quarterback is one of the four positions. Zulgad figures the other four include defensive line, cornerback, offensive line, and “probably” wide receiver.

Unless Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert slip (which we doubt), taking any other quarterback in this draft that high seems like a reach. Spielman called quarterback the team’s most “glaring” need but is trying to avoid getting desperate.

“I still think you can’t force quarterback. If you’re not comfortable with it, you’re just going to make a mistake,” Spielman said.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would rather have the Vikes take Julio Jones than one of the QBs. I just think that all of them have some questions about their abilities to be all pro quarterbacks.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-10-2011, 11:31 PM

5. Lee Ziemba OT Auburn

5. Shiloh Keo S Idaho

6. Greg Salas WR Hawaii

That is amazing. That would be great for you guys. But if you get Greg Salas in the sixth, I WILL hang myself. For those of you that haven't seen him, look him up on Youtube. He is a heck of a player. I don't think he will be there in the sixth.

FuzzyGopher
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Dont_be_surprised_if_Jake_Locker_is_Viki ngs_man_at_No_12041011

Now Pelissero thinks the Vikings will take Locker... I've also seen Mel Kiper and Todd McShay say the same thing. Could be a smokescreen but who knows, the draft can't come fast enough.

marshallb
04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Dont_be_surprised_if_Jake_Locker_is_Viki ngs_man_at_No_12041011

Now Pelissero thinks the Vikings will take Locker... I've also seen Mel Kiper and Todd McShay say the same thing. Could be a smokescreen but who knows, the draft can't come fast enough.

I just posted that on another draft site, along with a few other good articles that gives quite a bit of draft info, some old-some new:

Five positions in play for Vikings at No. 12, Spielman says (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Five_positions_in_play_with_Vikings_No_12_pick_Ric k_Spielman_says040511)

Da'Quan Bowers visiting Vikings Monday(today) (http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Clemson_end_DaQuan_Bowers_reportedly_visiting_Viki ngs_on_Monday041111)

Vikings hosted a mass workout last Wednesday (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_hold_Top_30_event_will_begin_final_draft_m eetings_on_Monday040511)

Here is a list of players that were reported to be there:

Tulsa FB/TE Charles Clay, South Carolina CB Chris Culliver, TCU QB Andy Dalton, Abilene Christian WR Edmund Gates, Georgia DE Justin Houston, Troy WR Jerrel Jernigan, Connecticut linebacker Scott Lutrus, Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett, South Florida S Mistral Raymond, Southern California T Tyron Smith, North Carolina LB Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina TE Ryan Taylor, Portland State TE Julius Thomas, Temple DL Muhammad Wilkerson.

Here are some other players that the Vikings had reported visits with(obviously they were at many pro days):

Private workouts: Fresno State LB Chris Carter, Washington QB Jake Locker, Auburn QB Cam Newton, Florida State QB Christian Ponder, Stanford CB Richard Sherman, Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi. *now Da'Quan Bowers can be added to this list*

Other: Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert (dinner after pro day).

Crazy_Chris
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Pretty odd that there is a complete lack of interior O-linemen on that list. Maybe they aren't as concerned about G/C as we may believe.

marshallb
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Pretty odd that there is a complete lack of interior O-linemen on that list. Maybe they aren't as concerned about G/C as we may believe.

I noticed that too. Could always be a bit of a smokescreen though. You never really know what to believe around this time of the draft season.

marshallb
04-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Brooks Reed also will be in for a visit. (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/57587118012243969)

BlueBandit24
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM

True...it is hard to tell what to believe at this time of year. But we did hear a lot of talk surrounding Harvin in 2009 and Cook in 2010, so the Vikings' interest has been pretty transparent in recent years. I could get on board with Locker; we need to take a gamble on a quarterback soon.

The Dynasty
04-16-2011, 03:15 PM
This is my Vikings Mock Draft assuming Ray Edwards leave due to Free Agency and Sidney Rice stays with the Vikings depending on the CBA and if he is a restricted FA or Unrestricted. Also Pat Williams Retires.

1st Round – 12th overall - Jake Locker - QB - Washington
http://theredzonereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/jake_locker.JPG

In the past the Vikings have not been shy to saying who they like. Its been obvious the past two years who the vikings have really liked and wanted. They wanted Percy Harvin, They got him. They wanted Chris Cook, They got him and it seems like Leslie Frazier and Rick Spielman want to fulfill the QB position and it has been said that the vikings have been interested in Locker for awhile now.

2nd Round – 11th in round, 43rd overall - Rahim Moore - S - UCLA
http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Rahim-Moore.jpg

Rahim Moore is a probably the top Safety in this very slim safety class this year. The Vikings has been suffering for years with poor safety play from Tyrell Johnson and Madieu Williams. He could come in and start for us right away and become a true ballhawk that we been missing.

4th Round – 9th in round, 106th overall - John Moffitt - OG/C - Wisconsin
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/theot13/JohnMoffitt.jpg

John Moffitt is a huge powerful guard that was a four year starter at Wisconsin, Who can play either the Guard and Center position for the Vikings. He is great in the run protection which we can always need for Adrian. We also know that the vikings like to have versatile players on the lines. He could be gone by this time but I could see us trading up for a player like this.

5th Round – 8th in round, 139th overall - Jerrell Powe - DT - Ole Miss
http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/03/jerrell-powe.jpg

Jerrell Powe is a guy who could replace the big whole that we will need to be filled for Pat Williams. Pat Williams is more than likely retiring this offseason and we have a group of guys who could rotate in and out next to Kevin Williams and Powe could fit right into that Rotation. He might not be able to play the bulk of the snaps but he will be able to come in and contribute.

5th Round – 19th in round, 150th overall (From New York Giants) - Chris Culliver - CB - South Carolina
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chris+Culliver+Georgia+v+South+Carolina+T3qERdR0VU wl.jpg

Chris Culliver is a guy who can play CB/FS/KR for the Vikings. He can come in and play the dime and the nickel if needed to and help out our Cornerbacks depth that is rather short.

6th Round – 7th in round, 172nd overall - Charles Clay - TE - Tulsa
http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Clay.jpg

Charles Clay is more of a receiving tight end who earned 21 Touchdowns in his career at Tulsa. He could come in and be the 2nd/3rd TE for the Vikings and be productive.

6th Round – 35th in round, 200th overall (Compensatory pick) - DJ Smith - OLB - Appalachian State
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics21/640/EZ/EZRYFYUUUWEIMEZ.20100112194328.jpg

D.J. Smith is an Underrated OLB in this years Draft. He has played all 4 years at Appalachian State and racking up over 500 tackles in his career. The Vikings are short on LB's since we are more than likely losing Ben Leber. So Smith could fill in the depth and also can play Special Teams.

7th Round – 13th in round, 215th overall - Greg McElroy - QB - Alabama
http://ogdraft.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/greg-mcelroy.jpg

I think we will still get a Veteran QB to come in and maybe start or to be the back up to Locker and teach him. But I also feel we could use a guy to compete with Webb and thats where McElroy comes in. McElroy is an extremely smart person and has a high Football IQ. He is smart with the ball and wont turn over the ball. He will become a good 3rd String QB.

7th Round – 35th in round, 236th overall (Compensatory pick) - Ricardo Lockette - WR - Fort Valley State
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/files/2011/02/Fort-Valley-Ricardo-Lockette.jpg

Ricardo Lockette is a small school prospect who could come in and help us on special teams as the gunner and also could be a return man if needed. He will help us with our WR Depth that could be affected depending on the CBA and Sidney Rice's Future.

Comments and Criticism always accepted.

Heisman
04-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I love this mock. Love love love Locker at #12.

Moore is solid, although I do wish he was a better tackler, and Moffitt just makes so much sense for the Vikings in the 4th. All in all a good mock, addresses all our major needs.

Crazy_Chris
04-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Really like the mock... Only thing I wouldn't really like is drafting 2 QBs, but it's just a 7th so no biggy.

Also not sure about Jerrel Powe, not that he is a bad pick. I am just wondering if Frazier is still going to want a true NT type, or if he will go towards a more traditional cover 2 DT.

2 Live Crew
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
What would you give up for Mcnabb, if anything?

BlueBandit24
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
What would you give up for Mcnabb, if anything?

Nothing. We'd need picks in return if we took on McNabb.

The Dynasty
04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
The most I would give up for McNabb is a next years third. He is past his prime and he isn't the same player he use to be for the eagles. I know there are rumors out that both sides are interested in each other so we will see. But the only thing is he can't be traded until a new agreement between players and owners. Makes you wonder what the Vikings will do at 12 if Locker is there. Do you wait and hope to get McNabb or go for the rookie? I say rookie but Vikings tend to get the old veteran and pass on the rookie QBs.

Crazy_Chris
04-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I think they would like to get McNabb and bring in a rookie. Atleast I would certainly hope this is the case. As I am tired of the trend of all the old vets the Vikes have had over the past 20 years. We need our guy!

But I wouldn't give up much of anything(Maybe a late round pick) for McNabb considering his age and the fact the Redskins will probably have to realease him.

Ozzy
04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Here are my two cents on the Vikings draft. This is a list of players that they could look at with each of their selections. I included all of the players I thought that might be there and that they would have an interest in. Some could drop down so the lists are expanded a little and with my best estimate this is how I think each round could turn out for the Vikings.

Main team needs for me were in no order OG, SS, QB, TE, C, DT, FB, OLB, CB

1st round 12th pick:
Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Tyron Smith OT USC
Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
Julio Jones WR Alabama
Mike Pouncey OG Florida
JJ Watt DE Wisconsin
Jake Locker QB Washington
Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

*Ideally I think the Vikings would most likely pick an offensive lineman in this spot. Pouncey could be a very good pick, as could Tyron Smith. They could look for a quarterback and go with Mallett or Locker, personally I would want Mallett. But I feel Webb showed enough and has enough upside not to give up on him yet. They would love if Prince fell but that would be a stretch.

2nd round 43th pick:
Bruce Carter OLB UNC
Nate Solder OT Colorado
Robert Sands FS West Virginia
Drake Nevis LSU DT
Deunta Williams FS UNC
Kristofer O'Dowd C USC
Marvin Austin DT UNC
Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State
Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame
Martez Wilson OLB Illinois
DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma
Mike Cannon OG TCU

*Another key spot for them, if they do not go with an offensive lineman in the 1st they could easily get one in the 2nd and get a fine cetner in O'Dowd or Wisniewski and even some good tackles. They could go for a possible star safety in Sands or Williams. Would really like them to get a linebacker at some point as well and Carter would be a steal this late. Could also get a great young tackle with Nevis or Austin, can go a lot of ways with this selection.

4th round 106th pick:
Owen Marecic FB Stanford
Wesley Saunders TE South Carolina
DeAndre McDaniel SS Clemson
Andy Dalton QB TCU
Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
Ollie Ogbu DT Penn State
Jerod Johnson SS Boise State
Casey Matthews ILB Oregon
Greg Romeus DE Pitt
Orlando Franklin OG Miami FL
Zane Taylor C Utah
Darvin Adams WR Auburn
Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio State
Charles Clay FB Tulsa

*They could get some fine safeties potentially that are very good players. Could get a steal at tight end with Saunders or could get that much needed fullback in Marecic if he is still there. Ogbu would be a nice find and Romeus would be a good steal late. Other receivers are around as well as some good linemen possibly.

5th round 139th pick:
Justin Boren OG Ohio State
Chris Culliver FS South Carolina
James Dockery CB Oregon State
Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma State
David Sims SS Iowa State
Virgil Green TE Nevada
Graig Cooper RB Miami FL
Ryan Whalen WR Stanford
Jamie Harper RB Clemson
Greg McElroy RB Alabama

*Boren could be a nice pickup here, and Sims has talent at safety potentially. Cooper is a good speed back we would need and there are guys like Culliver who have lots of talent, same with Dockery at corner. Or could look at tight end with Green and get a steal.

5th round 150th pick:
Cliff Matthews DE South Carolina
TJ Yates QB UNC
Eric Hagg SS Nebraska
Michael Morgan OLB USC
Charlie Gantt TE Michigan State
Butch Lewis OG USC
Da'Norris Searcy SS UNC

*Could get a steal at DE with Matthews potentially and if they still want a quarterback to go with Webb Yates would be a good option. I like getting possible linebacker depth if they did not solve that with the 2nd round pick earlier. Morgan could be a star if they get him late in the draft.

6th round 200th pick:
Thomas Claiborne OG Boston College
Nick Bellore ILB Central Michigan
Mike Hartline QB Kentucky
Pierre Allen DE Nebraska
Devon Morgan SS Virginia Tech
DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
Henry Hynoski FB Pitt
Cameron Graham TE Louisville
Brandon Saine RB Ohio State

*I like Claiborne and he could be a pickup late as a lineman, could get a real steal possible at quarterback with Hartline. Morgan is a ok safety and good tight end talent late possible. Brown would be a risk at receiver but this late it would be safe,

7th round 215th pick:
Karl Klug DT Iowa
Winston Venable OLB Boise State
Mossis Madu RB Oklahoma
DeLeon Gause CB Boston College
Shaun Draughn RB UNC
Travon Bellamy CB Illinois

*Possible steal late with Klug, and Venable again could provide some much needed speed and depth at linebacker. If they did not address it before a pass catching running back in Madu. Also could be a corner late but the quality this late would not be very high.

7th round 236th pick:
Wyatt Middleton SS Navy
John Chiles WR Texas
Ed Barham TE UNC
Darin Baldwin CB Central Florida
Gerald Jones WR Tennessee

*A few players that might be around, huge blocking tight end in Barham. I like the potential Chiles has at receiver, Middleton I like as a safety and potential tackling machine for them.

Just all projections and clearly a lot can change depending on what they do at the top.

FuzzyGopher
04-23-2011, 04:35 PM
That's a good list, why no Bowers though? Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy like Emmit Smith hates the English language, but pretty much every analyst has us linked to him in some way.

Ozzy
04-23-2011, 04:43 PM
That's a good list, why no Bowers though? Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy like Emmit Smith hates the English language, but pretty much every analyst has us linked to him in some way.I just simply doubt seriously he would drop past the Broncos, Bills, Titans, Redskins and Texans. All of those teams could easily take him. It is the same reason why I left Newton out. Sure it would be amazing to get Newton but I doubt we will have a chance. But yes if Bowers was there they would probably take him. I would rather have Fairley though if we are talking dropping defensive linemen.

The Dynasty
04-23-2011, 11:51 PM
A week Later and Oh how things in my mind have changed for my Mock Draft. With the Talk of Donovan McNabb and the Vikings has really made me think. The Vikings are built to win now. Not in 2-3 years. So I feel like the Vikings will go for a Veteran after the Lockout ends. It could be McNabb, Young, Palmer but I feel it will be McNabb. So therefore Here is my mock draft and most likely my final vikings mock before the Draft. Ray Edwards Leave due to FA. Sidney Rice Stays. Pat Williams Retires.

1st Round – 12th overall - Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska
http://nflmocks.com/files/2011/04/PrinceAmukamara.jpg

It seems like Prince is somewhat sliding in most peoples mock drafts lately and that is huge for the Vikings. The Minnesota Vikings in the past have not been a afraid to take the Best Player Available rather than taking a player for need. Prince is an amazing prospect who could easily become our #1 for us for 15 years. Antonie Winfield is getting old and is moving closer to becoming the Nickel CB for us. Cedric Griffin is coming back from another ACL Injury. Thats two in two years in different Legs. We dont know how he will be. So I feel we will take BPA and take Prince, and try to build a tandem of Cook and Prince. We need all the CB help we can get being in the division of Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford.

2nd Round - 43rd Pick - Stephen Paea - DT - Oregon State
http://nflchargers.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/stephen-paea.jpg

Pat Williams is retiring this Offseason more than Likely. So with that, The Vikings need to fill that hole that Pat Williams use to fill. Sure we have Jimmy Kennedy and Letroy Guion but they are come off the bench for a play or two. Stephen Paea is a beast to say the least. He is a nasty football player. Him next to Kevin Williams would create a more common Cover 2 DT Tandem also. He could step in Day one and Produce for us.

Round 4 - 106th Pick - Jeron Johnson - SS - Boise State
http://ogdraft.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/jeron-johnson.jpg

We all know that our Safety play is absolutely horrendous at times. Williams/Johnson/Sanford/Abdullah are just not cutting it right now and we need to start thinking about replacing them. Jeron Johnson could be that guy. He ran the fastest 40 at the Combine for Safeties as well.

Round 5 - 139th Pick - DeMarcus Love - OT/OG - Arkansas
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics10/640/LH/LHWYMRMUPDVWPRC.20080913031746.jpg

DeMarcus Love is filling a need and also helping out our O-Line Depth. He is built to be playing either LT or RT but also could be kicked inside and play Guard if needed. So He gives the Vikings versatility on the line. Projected to go in the 3rd round, He could fall because of injury past but Vikings haven't been afraid to take players with a past of injuries.

Round 5 - 150th Pick (from NYG) - Cliff Matthews - DE - South Carolina
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mississippi+v+South+Carolina+J4Vj4m1gT1Ll.jpg

Cliff Matthews could come off the bench and help us out greatly opposite of Jared Allen. This offseason we paid Brian Robison somewhat big money so i have a feeling he will be the starter for most of the time. Everson Griffen and Matthews will be the back up to give them rest.

Round 6 - 172nd Pick - Charles Clay - TE - Tulsa
http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Clay.jpg

Charles Clay is more of a receiving tight end who earned 21 Touchdowns in his career at Tulsa. He could come in and be the 2nd/3rd TE for the Vikings and be productive.

Round 6 - 200th Pick - Greg McElroy - QB - Alabama
http://static-l3.blogcritics.org/10/07/15/139105/greg-mcelroy2.jpg

Greg McElroy is an extremely bright kid. Also he is has an amazing IQ for Football. He wont wow you with his play but he reminds me of a player who will be smart with the ball. He will make all the right throws and will manage the clock. Could be a good Back up QB.

Round 7 - 215th Pick - Anthony Sherman - FB - UCONN
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tom+Wort+Anthony+Sherman+Tostitos+Fiesta+Bowl+55r4 vcgFRy7l.jpg

We have never had a true FB since Adrian has been here. Anthony Sherman could open up holes for him and also can run and catch the ball.

Round 7 - 236th Pick - Doug Hogue - OLB - Syracuse
http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/hogue.jpg

We are losing Ben Leber this offseason more than likely. Although I feel like we will go through the FA period to get another OLB, We take Hogue to help with the depth and also ST.

Comments and Criticism is always appreciated.

Heisman
04-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I like the players and the value there, but not addressing a single offensive need until the 5th round, on a side of the ball that clearly needs it, is surprising

Ozzy
04-24-2011, 08:05 AM
The Dynasty, I agree with getting Prince but I would be shocked if he dropped to us, would be great but I would be shocked.

As for McNabb, I would not want the guy, we already went through the aged quarterback thing with Mr. Favre. Here is proof on what I said with that issue last year.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42235&highlight=brett+favre

I like McNabb and the fact he is not a Packer is a plus, but he is even more washed up than Brett was, why would we want him? Because our players are getting older? How about we get some young players to build around and stop getting old veterans.

As for Paea, he would be a good get but I would be surprised if he is still there, more likely that Austin or Nevis is there. Love to get Wilkerson but that would be surprising if he dropped that far.

Jerod Johnson would be a great pickup in the 4th round, that is for sure. Demarcus Love will not be there in the 5th, there is no way he drops that far, way too athletic and talented to drop to the 5th round. Cliff Matthews will be there late, as will a few other very talented defensive ends. Charles Clay I love as well, very fine player and McElroy will be a good quarterback to get late. Sherman will not be a bad fullback at all, good player and I like Hogue as well as a linebacker but would rather get a better one earlier in the draft.

Have a lot of the same things I have though, will see what happens with it.

Imrighturwrong
04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
These mock drafts are really fun to read...I dont know as much as you guys probably do, but I'll give it a shot. Some of these are more what I would want than what I think. Comments/questions/critisim welcome. No pictures, sorry guys. lol

Round 1 (12th overall): Mike Pouncy OG Florida. Should help our aging offensive line, Good Pick at 12.
Round 2 (43rd overall): Ryan Mallet QB Arkansas. His stock is falling and he should be still available at 43, according to the experts. I, personally, like him more than Locker, I think he is a better passer and more NFL ready. Character issues shouldn't be a problem.
Round 4 (106th overall): Jeron Johnson SS Boise State. I think much of the board is at a concencus on this pick. I would love to see it, He seems pretty athletic and talented to help our Defensive backfield that struggled last season. Adds depth, which we lacked last year.
Round 5 (139th overall): Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma State. Hopeful replacement for Ray Edwards, assuming he doesn't return.
Round 5 (150th overall): Greg Salas WR Hawaii. We will need a replacement for Sidney Rice and someone to line up opposite of Percy. Salas should be a good pick at this spot, if he's still available.
Round 6 (172nd overall): Josh Gatlin CB NDSU. He isn't on many people's boards but he has great speed and hands. He led NDSU, who made the FCS quarterfinals, in interceptions with 5 including 1 for a TD. He would be great for our defense with winfield aging and cook being injury prone. He reportedly ran a 4.37 40 at his pro day.
Round 6 (200th overall):Brandon Saine RB Ohio State. It's getting to the point in the draft where many of these kids will be on the practice squad or will get cut. Peterson's contract, I believe, is up after the 2011 season. If we can't re sign him we have gerhardt and could make brandon a good 3rd down back.
Round 7 (215th overall):Henry Hynoski FB Pitt. Like it was stated above when was the last time we had a good/reliable Fullback? Henry declared early but is projected a 4-6 round pick, something tells me it wouldnt be suprising if he fell, He would be a steal at this pick. He is a good recieving fullback who can also block.
Round 7 (236th overall):Schuylar Oordt TE Northern Iowa. I don't know why we would need another tight end. Jimmy and Visanthe are great, but I don't know where else to go on this pick. This kid can catch though. In 2009 as a Junior he had 18 receptions 358 yards and 5 TD's. Only had 9 catches for 100 yards as a senior though.

Crazy_Chris
04-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Like both the mocks Dynasty & Imrighturwrong...

Amukamara & Stephen Paea(Perfect replacement for Pat) would make a beastly pair of picks in rounds 1 & 2. As would Mike Pouncey and Ryan Mallet. Although I'm not so sure Mallet makes it to #43 but that would be great. I also like Jeron Johnson as a later roiund S which both of you have us taking.

marshallb
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I keep reading that the Vikings are targeting Mike Pouncey. Not really a fan of this pick, but I suppose I'd be ok with it if we can trade down a handful of picks and pick up a 3rd. I'd rather it be a smokescreen though.

marshallb
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Vikings have plenty of options in first (http://twitter.com/#!/JuddZulgad/status/62956775007203330)

marshallb
04-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry about the three posts in a row, but there are many rumors out there about a Vikings-Browns deal...

...with the Vikings moving down, out of the first. Here (http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/04/2011-nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-and_26.html) is an article about this.

The Dynasty
04-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Well I really would prefer for the Vikings to Trade Back but Not out of the 1st. Especially just for a 1st rounder next year and their 2nd. I feel they would have to give up more to get the 12th pick.

I feel like the Ideal partner is going to be the Chargers at 18. They are supposedly in love with JJ Watt and he could be gone by 18 but should be there at 12. Also If we ended up trading back to 18, We would obtain their 2nd round pick most likely because their first and second value is 1,300 and the value of the 12th pick is 1,200 so we might have to give up a later pick to even it out. But at 18 we could target a variety of players. Such as Cameron Jordan, Mike Pouncey, Nate Solder, Gabe Carimi, Muhammad Wilkerson or even Jake Locker. Then with 43 and 50 we could target Rahim Moore, Ryan Mallet, Stephen Paea, Allen Bailey.

I hope we do trade back and stock pile draft picks because that seems to be the way to build a winning team in this league. Patriots, Packers, Falcons, Ravens and Steelers have all built through the draft for the most part and they all have had success in recent years. I just hope we dont trade out of the 1st round with No 1st round pick. Because When we did that last year, I was upset. Mainly because I had to wait another 24 hours to see the Vikings pick.

I also had a thought. Since we have been talked about trading back a lot and I know that the Steelers are really wanting Pouncey to reunite the Pouncey Twins. Also with Many Mock Drafts having him going in the teens and Scott has him to the Dolphins at 15, The steelers could have to trade up as far as 12 to get him if they really want him. That means we could trade back to 31 and gain a lot of picks as well. But this is just a thought and speculation on my part. No Rumors of this actually happening.

Imrighturwrong
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't mind trading down, but I too don't like not getting another 1st and a 3rd, this year. Although knowing the Browns next years first rounder will probably be a pick in the top 10. lol two 2nd rounders wouldn't be bad this year, either. I really don't know how I feel about this trade rumor, it's definately got it's pros and cons.

I just cant wait for the draft tomorrow!!!yeah!! haha

The Dynasty
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah like you said It has its Pro's and Con's to the Trade with the Browns. But you can't assume the Browns will have a top 10 pick again. Mike Holmgren is turning that team around. Colt McCoy showed a lot of promise last year so I would expect around the Mid Teens for the Browns next year.

Also I know my last Mock Had the Vikings take Prince Amukamara but I really think I should go back to my first gut and say we will take Jake Locker at 12 or even trade back to 17-20 and take him. But I worry about Miami taking him though so Idk if we will do that but we will see.

marshallb
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah like you said It has its Pro's and Con's to the Trade with the Browns. But you can't assume the Browns will have a top 10 pick again. Mike Holmgren is turning that team around. Colt McCoy showed a lot of promise last year so I would expect around the Mid Teens for the Browns next year.

Also I know my last Mock Had the Vikings take Prince Amukamara but I really think I should go back to my first gut and say we will take Jake Locker at 12 or even trade back to 17-20 and take him. But I worry about Miami taking him though so Idk if we will do that but we will see.

Here's my thoughts on the Browns trade: At best, the pick next year will be top 10, at worst, it will be pick 20, because does anyone think the Browns have a chance at making the playoffs, especially in that division facing Baltimore and Pittsburgh twice each? and the AFC is too deep for them to get a wild card IMO with Baltimore/Pitt, NYJ/NE/Miami, KC/SD, Jax/Indy/Houston, and any other surprises. So, you're getting the #5 pick in the second round and a pick somewhere between top 10 and the 20th next year for #12, going by the value chart, that would be looking at pick 20=850 + pick 37=530, which would put that value at 1380, which is more than the 1200 that 12 is worth. I know that picks this year are more valuable than next year's, but that is going by the (likely) worst case scenario. If the Vikings aren't that happy with this year's draft value at 12, or even in the mid first, and even more so the QBs, and I'm guessing they aren't if they're even just considering it, then it's a damn good deal IMO. I'd then say to forget the QBs if they're not comfortable with them in the first, and build up the OL and secondary with those 2nds. Maybe that's just me though.

russie
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
i could be down with that trade. it would put us in a decent spot to be able to go after andrew luck next year

Heisman
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Anyone else getting the feeling Gabbert is going to drop to us at #12?

Arizona and SF aren't high on him, Andy Dalton is supposedly the #1 QB on Tennessee's board, and Scott's "sources" have the Redskins taking Cameron Jordan.

Just something to "Ponder" (haha QB joke!)

Imrighturwrong
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Anyone else getting the feeling Gabbert is going to drop to us at #12?

Arizona and SF aren't high on him, Andy Dalton is supposedly the #1 QB on Tennessee's board, and Scott's "sources" have the Redskins taking Cameron Jordan.

Just something to "Ponder" (haha QB joke!)

I wouldn't be suprised if he fell to us since a lot of teams seem to be (supposively) wanting to wait till round two with ponder, dalton, and now mallet (according to the younger dude on ESPN, Kiper?) supposed to be still available. If he did fall to us and Locker was still available (unlikely, but possible) I think theyd take locker, they seem to be pretty sold on him, unless it's just smokescreen.

I wouldn't mind us either taking Cameron Jordan or trading down from 12, although my mock says pouncey.

You really can't believe much of what you hear until it actually happens. lol

Heisman
04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if he fell to us since a lot of teams seem to be (supposively) wanting to wait till round two with ponder, dalton, and now mallet (according to the younger dude on ESPN, Kiper?) supposed to be still available. If he did fall to us and Locker was still available (unlikely, but possible) I think theyd take locker, they seem to be pretty sold on him, unless it's just smokescreen.

I wouldn't mind us either taking Cameron Jordan or trading down from 12, although my mock says pouncey.

You really can't believe much of what you hear until it actually happens. lol

Its true, but I think in that case we would go Gabbert over Locker. I would love it either way and they're both about the same in my eyes but just because we love Locker doesn't mean we don't love Gabbert, I think we just don't think he'll be there

FuzzyGopher
04-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Supposedly the front office loves Gabbert so much that they have considered trading up for him. I would think that if he falls to 12 they run to the podium. I can even see a scenario where he falls to Dallas and we try to trade with them to get ahead of the Skins and grab him.

Heisman
04-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Supposedly the front office loves Gabbert so much that they have considered trading up for him. I would think that if he falls to 12 they run to the podium. I can even see a scenario where he falls to Dallas and we try to trade with them to get ahead of the Skins and grab him.

Wouldn't mind this once bit. I could see us moving up to #6, 7, 8, or 9 for him.

For me, if we get Locker or Gabbert, I consider this draft a success. They are my 2 fav QB's in the class and it really isn't close. I think they become franchise type guys here.

It would feel weird though getting Gabbert, everyone in Minnesota has basically talked themselves into Locker and expects him to be the pick. But hey I'm not about to complain, I'd bet money if we drafted #1 overall we would be taking Gabbert.

And when you say supposedly are you thinking of the Tom Pelissero article? Or is there even more linking us to Gabbert?

FuzzyGopher
04-28-2011, 12:12 AM
I can't remember off the top of my head where I've seen it, but I know a couple of writers have mentioned it. It was probably Pelissero because he is one of the few people whose articles I read.

FuzzyGopher
04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
by TomPelissero
... Exhaustive process, Spielman told me, w/process of elimination ongoing. Yesterday: 3-hour meeting on QBs, airing of feelings by staff.
2 minutes ago

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
by TomPelissero
... High-level staff spent a day-and-a-half with each guy, and team asked support staff on all 9 to learn about 'em "when no one is looking"
3 minutes ago

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
by TomPelissero
Just outlined it on NFL Network: Vikings started process of looking 4 new QB in this draft in December, identifying 9 guys of interest. ...
5 minutes ago

marshallb
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
It sounds like with the lockout/labor stuff, that the league will be going forward and beginning the league year sometime next week under 2010 rules, which greatly benefits us as Sidney Rice and Ray Edwards, among others will both be RFA and since we tendered them will be back(unless someone signs them to an offer sheet and we opt to not match). Man I can only imagine how pissed Edwards will be given how pissed he was last year about the same thing. So, that definitely lessens the need for both DE and WR, meaning that IMO we can focus on QB, OL, and DB(which I was hoping for in the first place), and then just add some depth in the later rounds.

djp
04-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Gabbert at 12 worries me, he's got so much work to do with his footwork and he does not have the natural ability to step in the pocket like all the elite QB's. But he does possess a lot of good tools and should be one of the more mentally prepared QBs in the NFL within a couple years. Guy supposedly has a photographic memory, that has to be such a huge advantage when it comes to film study.

If they make the Cleveland deal, we could very well have 2 top 5 picks in 2012 hoping to hit it big on Luck. If they don't make the deal, I hope they come away with either Locker or Gabbert at 12 and I'll be happy. Team just needs talent at the QB position, it doesn't really matter if it's BPA at this point.

General Zod
04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Im pretty pumped up for tonight. Im not real worried about what happens with this first pick. There are not many guys rated in the first round that I hate. We have so many needs. All of the guys so far we have rumored to like, Im ok with. The only real scenario that I really hate would be if we did take Dalton at 12. Its just a rumor and I really dont see it happening. I like Dalton, if we got him in the 2nd round I would be ok with it.

russie
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
prince still available

russie
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
**** you christian ponder

SuperPacker
04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Haha have fun with your rookie QB getting sacked by Clay III

russie
04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
brand new coach and its already time to get rid of him

noondog
04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Lolz. They couldn't at least trade back and get something else plus Ponder?

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 08:27 PM
All I have to say is Don't slam the Pick and for where it was at. Maybe No team wanted to get up to 12, Maybe the compensation wasn't good enough. Musgrave has been said to loving a smart QB and Ponder is that. Just don't slam the pick until we see him on the field.

I hated the Percy Harvin pick, thought he was going to be a Bust. We as fans think we know what our team should do but we rarely know.

BuckNaked
04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm driving to the city to take a **** on Spielman's face. brb

russie
04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
All I have to say is Don't slam the Pick and for where it was at. Maybe No team wanted to get up to 12, Maybe the compensation wasn't good enough. Musgrave has been said to loving a smart QB and Ponder is that. Just don't slam the pick until we see him on the field.

I hated the Percy Harvin pick, thought he was going to be a Bust. We as fans think we know what our team should do but we rarely know.

second best corner still available and they reach for a injury concern at qb? winfield is old and griffin cant stay healthy. i'm pissed. i'm even more pissed than last year when they reached for christine cook.

FuzzyGopher
04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I like Ponder but 12 seems awfully high for him. We'll see though, Ponder is smart as hell, he has an MBA and he's only 23. I really want to know what kind of compensation Spielman was asking for the 12th pick. You would think we could have grabbed a 3rd rounder and slipped back into the 20s.

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
second best corner still available and they reach for a injury concern at qb? winfield is old and griffin cant stay healthy. i'm pissed. i'm even more pissed than last year when they reached for christine cook.

I never said Im happy or Mad at this pick. Im just saying, We as fans have to trust the Team feels Ponder is going to be a solid QB and will be our Future. I just know hating on a pick does nothing especially when there is no proof to what he will do in the NFL.

Believe me I liked Prince but obviously the Vikings liked Ponder more.

russie
04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
at least webb will still get a chance to start when ponder gets hurt

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Vikings have never been afraid of taking a guy with injury concerns. Hence Adrian Peterson.

russie
04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Vikings have never been afraid of taking a guy with injury concerns. Hence Adrian Peterson.

yeah, but with a turnstile at lt, i see matt stafford in ponder

BuckNaked
04-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Nick ******* Fairley was on the ************* bored.

BuckNaked
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Nick ******* Fairley

FuzzyGopher
04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Lol, I agree with some of the outrage but you have to trust the guys that do all the interviews and watch the tape. They are privy to a lot more information than we are.

General Zod
04-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Im pretty pumped up for tonight. Im not real worried about what happens with this first pick. There are not many guys rated in the first round that I hate. We have so many needs. All of the guys so far we have rumored to like, Im ok with. The only real scenario that I really hate would be if we did take Dalton at 12. Its just a rumor and I really dont see it happening. I like Dalton, if we got him in the 2nd round I would be ok with it.

I just had to open my mouth.

I hate this pick, hate it.

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Lol, I agree with some of the outrage but you have to trust the guys that do all the interviews and watch the tape. They are privy to a lot more information than we are.

Exactly. We need to hope and pray that the Vikings know what they are doing. Musgrave knows QB's. We just need to get an OT to get make sure he wont get touched. Also lets face it guys, We were going to take a QB. The run started once Titans took Locker. We needed to jump on a QB or we were gonna get stuck with No QB and then everyone would have been bitching we never took a QB or traded up to get one. I still feel that McNabb will come in though.

russie

because they drafted so well last year? with the exception of harvin, the year before wasnt much better loadholt had a promising rookie year and then completely fell off

BuckNaked

I'm sure the interview with Troy Williamson insured the last bunch that he was worth the #7 pick. Or maybe the countless film of him dropping a plethora of balls. I don't know.

djp
04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
had a feeling we would look at a guy like Ponder, just thought it was too high. Locker going at 8 had to scare them into getting their guy. Supposedly, Musgrave's offense is built around QB's that can throw on the run.. lots of bootlegs and rollouts.

Fairley doesnt make sense, we have Kevin Williams as a UT. Would have preferred Prince though. Think we will regret letting him slip away.

FuzzyGopher
04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I have no doubt that Childress played a major role in the poor drafting last year. We are 1 pick in, let the rest of the draft play out before you get too upset. We usually get some nice value after round 1.

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm sure the interview with Troy Williamson insured the last bunch that he was worth the #7 pick. Or maybe the countless film of him dropping a plethora of balls. I don't know.

The People that Took Williamson aren't even in the building anymore. So I dont know why this was even brought up. 2005 wasnt apart of the Childress/Spielman Era.

The Childress/Spielman Era took:
Chad Greenway
Ray Edwards
Cedric Griffin
Adrian Peterson
Sidney Rice
Brian Robison
Percy Harvin

Traded for Jared Allen also

I trust Spielman as a GM right now.

BuckNaked
04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
The People that Took Williamson aren't even in the building anymore. So I dont know why this was even brought up. 2005 wasnt apart of the Childress/Spielman Era.

The Childress/Spielman Era took:
Chad Greenway
Ray Edwards
Cedric Griffin
Adrian Peterson
Sidney Rice
Brian Robison
Percy Harvin

Traded for Jared Allen also

I trust Spielman as a GM right now.

Same regime that also reached horrifically on Ryan Cook, Tarvaris Jackson, Tyrell Johnson, and had that abomination of a draft this past year. I feel confident in my opinion that this was a ridiculous reach.

russie
04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Same regime that also reached horrifically on Ryan Cook, Tarvaris Jackson, Tyrell Johnson, and had that abomination of a draft this past year. I feel confident in my opinion that this was a ridiculous reach.

i fully agree.

but i would have taken prince over fairley

russie
04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
i've had time to sit and think about this pick now.

and i still dont feel comfortable with chad pennington v.2 behind center

DHVF
04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Soooooooo sick. I feel like we just drafted Cade McNown 2.0.

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I'll agree it was a Reach. No one is arguing that. All I'm arguing is calling it a horrible pick when the Kid hasn't even played a snap for us yet. Give the Kid a Shot. He is a very smart QB. You have to be smart in this league to have a shot at succeeding at the QB Position.

Id rather have Prince but its to late now. Also I didnt want fairley. I dont like those 1 year wonders. Plus like DJP said, He is a UT, We needed more of a NT.

VikeFanatic
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Same regime that also reached horrifically on Ryan Cook, Tarvaris Jackson, Tyrell Johnson, and had that abomination of a draft this past year. I feel confident in my opinion that this was a ridiculous reach.Actually, Cook & TJax were drafted by the Fran Foley/Brad Childress team. A kick-a$$ draft team that lasted all of a year.

The_Dude
04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
with blaine gabbert falling, i got my hopes up. they were then dashed with ponder at 12.

I remember that i hated the harvin pick, too & now he's one of my favorites. whatever. I trust our front office, but that was such and underwhelming pick to say the least.

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Here are some press conference video from Frazier and Spielman

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Frazier-Presser---429/37a07de4-f510-4e60-b571-66b0609fd62c

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Spielman-Presser---429/26069ed7-bc9a-4600-8db1-86b7f152da02

marshallb
04-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I suggest you check out Tom Pelissero's twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/TomPelissero) for some info on the Vikings though process, and a bit of their description on what all happened.

The Dynasty
04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Alright Guys, First Round is over. 2nd and 3rd Tomorrow. We only have 1 pick as of right now. So Who do you guys expect/hope we will get at 43.

I hope we get Bowers. I expect Rahim Moore/Stephen Paea

Crazy_Chris
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Don't like the pick this year... But that isn't to suggest I don't like Ponder, as I feel he will be a pretty good QB. But that was definitivly a reach to take him at #12. I have a hard time believing they couldn't get anything of decent value for the pick with Fairley/Amukamara/Quinn still on the board.

Crazy_Chris
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Alright Guys, First Round is over. 2nd and 3rd Tomorrow. We only have 1 pick as of right now. So Who do you guys expect/hope we will get at 43.

I hope we get Bowers. I expect Rahim Moore/Stephen Paea

I hope we get Stephen Paea, Kyle Rudolph, or Bruce Carter.

But I am expecting the pick to be Da'Quan Bowers if he is there.

Heisman
04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't like Bowers as a prospect, but if we take him at #12 at least it will feel like we got first round value in the second round, to go along with our second round value in the first round.

But I would love Kyle Rudolph.

J-Mike88
04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Is Ponder really that much better of a pro prospect than both Andy Dalton and Ryan Mallet? And Colin Kaepernick?

I thought the pick was terrible, considering his lack of durability while playing 11 games a year, on grass.

But it often takes 3, 4 years to figure it all out.
The 49ers still don't have an answer yet on Alex Smith as they didn't take a QB tonight.
But they might get a Dalton or Mallett in round 2 tomorrow still......

FuzzyGopher
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Rahim Moore, Aaron Williams, Paea or Greg Little would make me happy. Not a fan of Bowers, his knee has to be seriously jacked for him to fall this far.

marshallb
04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I would like to see us go either OL or secondary, Ijalana or Wisniewski or Moore or Aaron Williams would make me very happy. Would also be fine with other guys, as I am with Ponder.

Crazy_Chris
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Is Ponder really that much better of a pro prospect than both Andy Dalton and Ryan Mallet? And Colin Kaepernick?

I thought the pick was terrible, considering his lack of durability while playing 11 games a year, on grass.

The 49ers still don't have an answer yet on Alex Smith as they didn't take a QB tonight.

I think it would be fair to say Christian is easily a better prospect than Kaepernick... And considering that all the character concern rumors about Mallet seem to be legit(Since nobody took him in round 1) so that moves him down below Ponder IMO. I do think he is better than Dalton but not by a whole lot.

I am not on board with some of the other Viking/NFL fans that think it was a terrible pick. But it definatly was a reach, and I think Christian will have a hard time living up to the expectations most fans have for a QB selected #12 overall.

djp
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM

I just think the Vikings need to seriously upgrade their offensive line at any cost and teach Ponder how to slide. I still like Locker the best out of the QB's though. I am glad we did not move up for Gabbert. Giving up our 2nd when we already are down a 3rd rounder would be super costly for a team that is trying to get younger.

It's not perfect, but it was what was available to us. I'd rather have Ponder than Dalton. I'm sure the Vikings would have loved to take Gabbert or Locker if they were available. And I'm sure they would have loved to trade into the 20's and picked up an extra 3rd. But Spielman said there were no offers for pick 12 once the draft unfolded the way it did.

I'm not saying Ponder is going to be a great quarterback either. He obviously has some warts that are concerning. But he brings some very nice tools to the table as well. His football IQ and natural intelligence is off the charts. His arm is definitely better than Chad Pennington's. And he is very mobile. The mobility is particularly interesting because of the benefit it brings to Adrian Peterson. My biggest concern is simply his ability to stay healthy. They only hit harder in the NFL. Here's to hoping that his injuries were more fluky than anything, the next 4-5 years of the franchise depend on it.

I really don't think we're going to bring in McNabb now. I think if anything they will go after a veteran guy as a safety net for Ponder and give him the opportunity to play right away. His biggest asset is his ability to step in immediately.

Crazy_Chris
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
I would like to see us go either OL or secondary, Ijalana or Wisniewski or Moore or Aaron Williams would make me very happy. Would also be fine with other guys, as I am with Ponder.

I forgot about Aaron Williams, I would love to get him at #43.

djp
04-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Guys I like for pick 42 tomorrow:

Rahim Moore
Stephen Paea
Kyle Rudolph
Brooks Reed (pretty sure he's gonna be gone)
Aaron Williams
Any offensive lineman

the_legend_killer
04-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Erin Andrews follows Christian Ponder on Twitter, that's got to be a good sign right?

But seriously. My opinion, I like Ponder but not at the 12 spot.

wogitalia
04-29-2011, 01:26 AM
But seriously. My opinion, I like Ponder but not at the 12 spot.

This is my thought as well. I'd have loved him in the 2nd, wouldn't even mind trading up at the end of the 1st but to watch the Bears and Packers get the guys I wanted at their picks just made it worse.

I like Ponder, think he can be a good solid QB if you put him on a team with serious weapons and a great OL, the kind that he wont get touched behind. Unfortunately we have the only OL in history that could get Brett Favre maimed, read pretty damn awful.

Crazy_Chris
04-29-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't think our o-line is that bad, although it is most definatly not good. Aswell it's not like Ponder is doomed to have this O-line his entire career. McKinnie is out after this year, and it seems they are already looking to upgrade a C & G this draft.

I think it is a pretty natural fit that with our top 15 pick next year we will be looking at a LT(seems to be a good LT class).

Bosanac01
04-29-2011, 02:08 AM
I just wanna let you guys know you have made a great selection. Newton and Ponder will be the only 2 successful QB's from this draft.

Crazy_Chris
04-29-2011, 02:29 AM
Mock draft of what I think may happen ahead of our pick tomorrow.

33.Patriots-Akeem Ayers DE/OLB UCLA
34.Bills-Brooks Reed DE/OLB Arizona
35.Bengals-Andy Dalton QB TCU
36.Broncos-Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
37.Browns-Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
38.Arizona-Justin Houston DE/OLB Georgia
39.Tennessee-Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame
40.Dallas-Rahim Moore S UCLA
41.Washington-Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada
42.Texans-Aaron Williams DB Texas
43.Vikings-Stephen Paea DT Oregon St.

prock
04-29-2011, 02:56 AM
The fact that Fairley got taken by the Lions should solidify us NEEDING to take an offensive lineman in the second.

djp
04-29-2011, 02:57 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14998621

Prisco gives Vikings an A for Ponder choice. Interesting.

Crazy_Chris
04-29-2011, 03:07 AM
The fact that Fairley got taken by the Lions should solidify us NEEDING to take an offensive lineman in the second.

Honestly I think the Suh/Fairley combo is being over-hyped right now. Suh is a legit All-pro caliber DT, but I am far from sold on Fairley... I would be much much more scared had they taken Robert Quinn.

djp
04-29-2011, 03:14 AM
I honestly have no clue about the Fairley pick. You just don't know what kind of player you're gonna get with him. Definitely worth the risk if you're Detroit.

Ozzy
04-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Like many have said, is Ponder really worth a 12th pick? He would be a steal in the late 2nd. And honestly the kid is drafted because of his insane intelligence, not his football playing ability. Supposedly graduated in 2.5 yrs., and has 2 masters? That is why he was drafted this high.

Passing Prince, Fairley and Bowers though, that is a hard one to take.

Crazy_Chris Honestly I think the Suh/Fairley combo is being over-hyped right now. Suh is a legit All-pro caliber DT, but I am far from sold on Fairley... I would be much much more scared had they taken Robert Quinn.You just wait till he is killing the Vikings two times a year. How that combo will be overrated is beyond me. Suh is already a pro bowl player, Fairley is a fine pass rushing combination to put with him and those two are going to dominate at times, even as soon as next season. The kid was, on the field, the best defensive player in the nation. This is not a Charles Rogers/Roy Williams scenario at all, Rogers was not a rookie pro bowler after his first year.

Ozzy
04-29-2011, 05:55 AM
I would be pleased if they got one of these players in their only 2nd round pick.

Drake Nevis LSU DT
Kristofer O'Dowd C USC
DeMarcus Love OG Arkansas
Deunta Williams FS UNC
Bruce Carter OLB UNC
Robert Sands FS West Virginia
Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State
Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame
Jah Reid OT Central Florida
Martez Wilson OLB Illinois
Mike Cannon OG TCU

Would love Sands, Carter or Nevis to be honest. Offensive line is hard to pass up though.

And who knows, maybe they are smart for taking Ponder, because honestly quarterbacks will be gone come Vikings pick in the 2nd round, Dalton should be gone to the Bills, Bengals should take Mallett and even the Cardinals might be pressed to take Kaepernick just to get a quarterback of some sort much less Redskins taking one also if any of those guys drop more..

Still is Joe Webb that bad, I loved the kid last year, surprised they are tanking on him so quickly. The kid is a physical freak and a steal and a half, still hope he gets his chance, did not play all that terrible as an insanely inexperienced rookie.

VikeFanatic
04-29-2011, 06:57 AM

I thought the pick was terrible, considering his lack of durability while playing 11 games a year, on grass.It's important that we remember Adrian Peterson had a ton of injury problems in college, too. Without those injuries, he never would've dropped beyond 3. We got him at 7.

The thing that NFL Live QBs talked about constantly was that Ponder throws an accurate ball, that he's from a pro-style offense, that he's fairly athletic & that he's a smart kid. That works with me.

The_Dude
04-29-2011, 08:50 AM
It's important that we remember Adrian Peterson had a ton of injury problems in college, too. Without those injuries, he never would've dropped beyond 3. We got him at 7.

The thing that NFL Live QBs talked about constantly was that Ponder throws an accurate ball, that he's from a pro-style offense, that he's fairly athletic & that he's a smart kid. That works with me.

That is the silver lining. The 2 reasons why i dislike the pick is A) value & B) injuries.

I hope that we don't pick in the top 15 too often, so i was hoping to max out the value of that pick. I am sure that everyone has already heard this but since 2006 (i believe) there have been 26 offensive linemen taken in the first round. 25 of them were still starters last year. That is great value for the position. As of draft time, i was finally set on Castonzo at 12.

Shoulder & elbow surgeries. yuck. but, as mentioned above, we heard the same rap on AD & he has been solid if not spectacular as a pro.

In the end, i do trust Spielman & i will not hate on the pick until we get time to see him in action. The value of taking him at 12 just kills me though.

marshallb
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
So, what I'm getting from everyone is that they would have loved the pick if we had traded down to, oh let's say 19 with the Giants. Yea, that would have been nice, but if it's true as Spielman said that the phones just didn't ring and we had no offers, there was no way to do that as it takes two to tango and we couldn't find a dance partner.

Posted this in the 1st round Winners and Losers thread:

For those of you who are hating on the Vikings picking Ponder because of the fact that we have a horrendous offensive line, when did the rest of the draft happen and when did free agency happen? The team still has plenty of opportunities to upgrade the O-Line. Now if they don't do that and go into the season with what they've got, then sure, you can hate on it for that reason, but at this point in time, no, you've got no reason to hate it for that. Hate it for other reasons, such as it being a reach or whatever you want.

One thing that I saw at least one person posted in here, is that Ponder has not had elbow surgery. He had a bursa sac on his forearm, about 4 inches below his elbow that he had the fluid removed from at least once a week during the regular season that was pretty well a nuisance. Between the end of their regular season and the bowl game he had them go in for surgery and remove it and clean everything up.

Conference call transcript with Ponder (http://1500espn.com/sportswire/QA_with_Christian_Ponder_I_am_overly_thrilled_abou t_being_a_Viking042811)

I'm flat out ok with the pick. If he can stay healthy and IMO the biggest thing for us to still do yet this offseason(be it in the rest of the draft or in free agency) is to build up the O-Line to keep him healthy, then he's got above average arm strength, above average accuracy, above average to nearly elite athleticism for the position, elite intelligence, is a winner(22-13 as a starter at Florida State), and is a great leader and hard worker. He's got a good QB guru to work with in Musgrave, and has plenty of weapons surrounding him, especially with the way it looks like the CBA is going to play out with Rice being back.

Imrighturwrong
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't mind the fact that we picked Ponder, but the fact that we did it at #12 is kind of confusing. I think we had a few options here.
1. Traded down gotten a later 1st and a 3rd, stilll could of gotten ponder.
2. Draft a DE or DT at 12 AND still gotten ponder in round 2.
3. Draft an O lineman or a Corner (I like Jimmy Smith, he's gonna be good) AND have gotten ponder, in round 2.
I guess we will have to see how it turns out. I found it kind of humorous they had a record 25 players attend the draft, we were at 12 and our pick wasn't one of the 25 in attendance. lol

As for the Prince hype, I'm not real sold on him. The highlights they showed of his, I wasn't impressed with. I think Jimmy Smith will be better, but was picked lower because of "character issues"

Round 2....I'm not sure where we should really go with this pick. I personally think we need someone for either the DL or OL, but after what happened last night, nothing they do will shock me.

Again, I'm not against the pick, I'm against where the pick was made (if that makes sense).