PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draft Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

Monomach
01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0130-needs-bears-chicago--20110129,0,3350143.column

The team might want to consider moving J'Marcus Webb to left tackle, and probably will.

What do you do to replace one of the worst tackles in the NFL? Move someone who was even worse there. GENIUS! SUPER BOWLZ!

"Hey, guys. I think Wide Receiver is a problem area, so we should probably bench Knox in favor of Rashied Davis."

Also...

If Florida interior lineman Mike Pouncey, twin brother of Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey, is available when the Bears draft in the first round, he would be a good fit because he has played center and guard. The Bears could start him at guard with the idea of moving him to center when Kreutz moves on.

Grrrrrrrr! Dan Pompeii needs to be punched in his stupid face.

If the Bears' highest-rated defensive lineman is a tackle who can rush the passer, they can go that route as well. Among the possibilities are Miami's Allen Bailey, Illinois' Corey Liuget, Oregon State's Stephen Paea and North Carolina's Marvin Austin.

Ah! The stupid! It burns!

BeerBaron
01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
A first two rounds of Pouncey and Austin would make damn sure this team gets a good housecleaning next year.....

Unless we get insanely lucky again. Sigh.....

Just.....sigh......

Webb at LT.....more sigh......

Hurricane Ditka
01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Lenard Hankerson would be a nice pick at the end of the first.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-30-2011, 01:41 AM
No to Hank in the 1st. Inconsistent and slow is not what I'm looking for that early.

I remember talk of Webb to the left side...just thought he played his way out of that conversation.

bearsfan_51
01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm comforted by the fact that Pompei is almost always wrong.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Greg Little, anyone?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm down with that.^

So I guess theres some rumblings about getting rid of Chuck Taylor. Can I start yearning for Demarco Murray yet?

BeerBaron
02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
There is a major inundation of capable running backs in the late rounds or in the UDFA ranks every year...

IIRC, the top two rookie rushers from this past year were Chris Ivory and LeGarette Blount...both undrafted.

I'd be just fine spending higher picks on good blocking for Forte and looking for a speedy back in the later rounds or after the draft.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Well in my Demarco fantasy we sign Mankins first..but thanks for making me sad.

And with his injuries I wouldn't force it so 3rd round at the earliest.

Monomach
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
There is a major inundation of capable running backs in the late rounds or in the UDFA ranks every year...

IIRC, the top two rookie rushers from this past year were Chris Ivory and LeGarette Blount...both undrafted.

I'd be just fine spending higher picks on good blocking for Forte and looking for a speedy back in the later rounds or after the draft.

Why get a speedy back? Forte has 4.4 speed. His compliment should be a power back who can hit linemen for that extra half yard when there's no hole, i.e. whoever wins out in training camp between Harvey Unga/Kahlil Bell.

VoteLynnSwan
02-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Why get a speedy back? Forte has 4.4 speed. His compliment should be a power back who can hit linemen for that extra half yard when there's no hole, i.e. whoever wins out in training camp between Harvey Unga/Kahlil Bell.

Forte ran a 4.5 at the combine. Granted he plays faster than he times. I'd agree with you though... Forte is big, but he's not a power guy.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I've never quite understood the fascination with finding a 2nd back that is a specific type of back. We don't need a thunder / banger back.

I could understand this if your feature back was someone like Brandon Jacobs who doesn't catch passes out of the backfield and isn't elusive.

But, we have Forte, who does everything well.

We don't need a specific kind of back. We just need a real legitimate talented back up RB. No matter how he plays. Teams make bad draft picks all the time trying to create a lightning/thunder combo.

Just find us a good back. Starks last year would have worked.

BeerBaron
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Given how I think JA will handle things with the o-line, here is my current top 4 picks for us:

1st Round - C/G Steven Wisniewski, Penn State - Could plug in at C right away if Kreutz is not retained or, if he is, can at least make for an upgrade at either guard position. Won't blow you away with strength or athleticism, but is a good technician with a lot of starting experience. Good value at the end of the first.

2nd round - DT Jurell Casey, USC - Adams is a free agent and I don't see us keeping Tommie at his current price. That leaves us with Toeiana and Melton. We'll need at least another player to work into the rotation and I think Casey is the type JA will like.

3rd round - S Jeron Johnson, Boise State - Dan Manning is a free agent and I've read that he will test the market. I think someone out there will pay him more than we will offer. That leaves us with Harris who I think will need to be replaced sooner rather than later, and likely by Major Wright. Johnson is exactly the type of centerfielding we've been missing since Mike Brown was young and healthy. Him paired with Major Wright gives us a solid pair of safeties for the future.

4th round - OT Lee Zeimba, Auburn - All around solid player if a bit unspectacular and has a ton of starting experience in the SEC. Might not be cut out for a LT in the NFL, but he could make for a solid starter at RT, or at worst a backup swing tackle.

Bearsfan123
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I like that Baron. That would make me a content if not happy Bears fan.

dabears10
02-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Given how I think JA will handle things with the o-line, here is my current top 4 picks for us:

1st Round - C/G Steven Wisniewski, Penn State - Could plug in at C right away if Kreutz is not retained or, if he is, can at least make for an upgrade at either guard position. Won't blow you away with strength or athleticism, but is a good technician with a lot of starting experience. Good value at the end of the first.

2nd round - DT Jurell Casey, USC - Adams is a free agent and I don't see us keeping Tommie at his current price. That leaves us with Toeiana and Melton. We'll need at least another player to work into the rotation and I think Casey is the type JA will like.

3rd round - S Jeron Johnson, Boise State - Dan Manning is a free agent and I've read that he will test the market. I think someone out there will pay him more than we will offer. That leaves us with Harris who I think will need to be replaced sooner rather than later, and likely by Major Wright. Johnson is exactly the type of centerfielding we've been missing since Mike Brown was young and healthy. Him paired with Major Wright gives us a solid pair of safeties for the future.

4th round - OT Lee Zeimba, Auburn - All around solid player if a bit unspectacular and has a ton of starting experience in the SEC. Might not be cut out for a LT in the NFL, but he could make for a solid starter at RT, or at worst a backup swing tackle.

5th Round: Korey Lindsay
6th Round: Armando Allen
7th Round: Developmental O-lineman

Thats a draft I would enjoy.

Monomach
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
So I've watched more and more film and talked myself into basically being in love with Gabe Carimi. Like, big time. My #1 O lineman now.

Also, I'm starting to think that Rodney Hudson is the best center prospect in this draft.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
What took you so long? ;) 1-2 combo of Carimi and Hudson would get my attention but Hudson is still small. He's not the 285 everyone was worried about, but I'd be cautious about drafting him into a division with the Williams Wall, BJ Raji, and NDonkeyKong Suh.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if GB drafted someone like Phil Taylor to play NT & moved Raji to end.

I like Hudson as well. But, realistically I expect Kreutz to be back next season. Probably just hold off and take someone like Brewster next year.

Hurricane Ditka
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm on the Danny Watkins train myself, at least from what I've read. His best football is ahead of him and seems like a guy Tice could work wonders with. Hopefully Tice and Ruskell will give Jerry some insight in a postion he obviously has no idea what to look for. I can't Jerry taking another offensive tackle in the first round again. Although I'd start burning effigies if he passed on Carimi.

Wavy77
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
1st round: With this pick I think we need to go either LT, UT or WR. The names I have at OT are Derrek Sherrod and Anthony Castonzo. DT should be a priority and the name I see as a better fit tan any is Drake Nevis, LSU. Great explosive one gap penetrator that would compliment our defensive line in a fantastic way, especially when you think about how much better Julius Peppers would be if he didn't have to do all of the work himself. Corey Liuget is also an intriguing name there.
At WR Jon Baldwin is the name I'm coming back to. Big, physical and fast guy who can fight for the ball. Definitely a Jay Cutler type of receiver. My only question mark is how he will respond the Martz-playbook.

2nd round: here we can look more at interior offensive linemen. Jason Pinkston and Rodney Hudson are the two names I'm looking for right here. I don't see Stephen Wisniewski falling this far, but if he is I'd be all over him. Some DTs that could make it here could be Marvin Austin or Stephen Paea. I know Paea has a 1st round grade with some, but his injured knee could cause him to fall a bit. A couple of linebackers prospects I'm also intrigued by: Martez Wilson and KJ Wright. Both tall MLB types that fit a 4-3.

Camazing5
02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I think that the Bears should without a doubt use there first round pick on an OT (I like the kid out of Wisconsin, but I'm a BigTen guy...can't help it). I wouldn't be made at seeing a Tommy Harris or Chester Taylor trade for some draft picks in the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round. I think the Bears need to also invest in a cornerback and a Tall Wide Receiver (6'2'' Mininium). In the later rounds they should also think about drafting depth at LB and S and another OL pick wouldn't hurt. If a trade of Tommy Harris were to happen then draft a DT in the mid rounds.

Camazing5
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
5th Round: Korey Lindsay
6th Round: Armando Allen
7th Round: Developmental O-lineman

Thats a draft I would enjoy.

I go to SIUC and Korey Lindsay is not worth drafting. I would go with a tall wide receiver in this position. Or maybe an athletic LB.

Monomach
02-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't be made at seeing a Tommy Harris or Chester Taylor trade for some draft picks in the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round.
Great idea. After that, we can trade Rashied Davis for a couple of first rounders.

bearsfan_51
02-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Anyone have any interest in signing Braylon Edwards?

*ducks*

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 04:47 PM

*ducks*

If we need to sign a receiver to drop passes, I'd rather James Jones because he'll probably be a bit cheaper.

Monomach
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM

*ducks*

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2693/butterfingersbraylon.gif
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7769/butterfingersbraylon2.gif

bearsfan_51
02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes, he has a propensity for the big drop, but he's had a fair amount of success in his career too, and with vastly inferior quarterbacks.

I wouldn't be against James Jones either, actually.

MidwayMonster31
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
I agree with Carimi in the first round, it is more likely that Tommie will end up getting cut. We might have to sign one more for depth purposes. The lack of a CBA will make things extremely complicated though regarding free agency.
I would go with:
Sign Matt Light to play left tackle, Malcom Floyd as a stop-gap big guy, Mike Patterson to play the run inside, Justin Blalock at left guard and Tim Hightower for 3rd down.
Drafting:
1- Gabe Carimi OT
2- Ben Ijalana OG/OT, (or Danny Watkins (trade up if you have to) (If they are taken, Marcus Cannon will work fine))
3- Jake Kirkpatrick C
4- Cedric Thornton DT
5- Caleb Schlauderaff OG
6- Craig Stevens OLB (might help on special teams)
7- DeQuin Evans DE (project pass rusher)
We might miss out on the best receivers this year, but next year is supposed to be loaded with those kind of receivers. Brian Quick from Appalachian State might be a fast riser.

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't bet, but I'd be absolutely willing to bet in this instance that we don't spend our top 3 picks on the o-line. It's an absolute pipe dream.

Bearsfan123
02-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't bet, but I'd be absolutely willing to bet in this instance that we don't spend our top 3 picks on the o-line. It's an absolute pipe dream.

Quoted for Truth. Your draft is impossible for Jerry Angelo.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Not only are the first three being Oline unfathomable, but 4 of the first 5 rounds is...its just not happening. There are no more superlatives for that.

And our 7th was Harvey Unga.

MidwayMonster31
02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Some wishful thinking on my part. I forgot about Unga too, maybe we won't have to sign another running back if he can be the #2 guy.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I've changed my tune on Pouncey. I think we'd be lucky to nab him.

Still Tyron Smith is my #1, however, with his weigh in, he's likely a top 15ish pick now.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Anyone doubt that Mason Foster is a Chicago Bear by the end of April? I feel its a virtual certainty. I just hope its no sooner than the third round.

dabears10
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
So I just heard a new name that PFW predicted the Bears will draft, Orlando Franklin.

I hope not.

Monomach
03-18-2011, 08:56 AM
So I just heard a new name that PFW predicted the Bears will draft, Orlando Franklin.

I hope not.

There's not a lot that can be said for taking him in the first, but at least it'd be better than using the same pick on Pouncey.

Franklin is someone I'd love with our second rounder, for what it's worth.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Scott has us taking Luiget and Ijalana. **** that.

BeerBaron
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Scott has us taking Luiget and Ijalana. **** that.

Why? That's pretty much what I'm expecting.

And i like Ijalana.

regoob2
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I like Ijalana. I don't see why everyone is so high on Liuget. He's never been a special player. He's a good not great player. I don't think he's a 1st rounder.

BeerBaron
03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I like Ijalana. I don't see why everyone is so high on Liuget. He's never been a special player. He's a good not great player. I don't think he's a 1st rounder.

It's all in the potential. He has the raw material to be a disruptive interior pass rusher, and it's probably the #1 need on JA's list given his track record of investing in the position.

If we get him in the first and then manage to address our o-line with someone I like in Ijalana in the 2nd, I'll certainly be ok with it.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I honestly couldn't imagine a better draft.

regoob2
03-22-2011, 01:34 PM
It's all in the potential. He has the raw material to be a disruptive interior pass rusher, and it's probably the #1 need on JA's list given his track record of investing in the position.

If we get him in the first and then manage to address our o-line with someone I like in Ijalana in the 2nd, I'll certainly be ok with it.
That's the opposite of what I've seen. He's very good at shedding blocks and does well play 2 gap run D. He has good technique and uses his hands well. His athleticism is good but definitely not great. Good off the line and good closing speed. I think as a 1 gap 3 tech id have Paea and Nevis rated higher.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Get out of my head, regoob.

I don't see a whole lot to love about Liuget. I've never seen the stardom Lovies 3tech position demands. Drake Nevis, on the other hand, has it in the 2nd round. And Ijalana is completely meh, too. Like them, don't love them.

regoob2
03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
1. Paea
2. Wisniewski
3. Lawrence Guy
4. Jalil Brown

Thoughts?

Monomach
03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
1. Paea
2. Wisniewski
3. Lawrence Guy
4. Jalil Brown

Thoughts?

Paea's a DT I'd be ok with taking in the first, unlike Liuget. I can't imagine a scenario in which we manage to get Wiz in the second. He'll be long gone. Brown is ok. Spending a third on a guy who looks like a career backup at DT is the only pick that would make me rage, especially after we take a DT in the first. The team has a lot of needs. We can't be spending early picks on guys who just aren't good at football.

Of course, undervaluing and missing on an OL while reaching for a bad DL is pretty realistic, given our GM.

regoob2
03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Paea can play NT and Guy has starting potential.

bearsfan_51
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
We don't need a NT, we need someone who can get after the quarterback.

I don't see the logic in Paea over Liuget. Paea was pretty productive in college, but almost any scouting report I've read talks about his limited athleticism and lack of ability to penetrate. We don't need a 1-tech, we need a Tommie Harris circa 2004. Plus, there's the whole knee injury, which is what is pushing him out of the 1st round currently.

Not saying you have to love Liuget, I understand the skepticism there, but I'm an emphatic no to Paea in the 1st round.

EDIT: I see that Scott thinks he can pass-rush. Can't say I'm usually a big fan of Scott's prognostications, however.

regoob2
03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
We don't need a NT, we need someone who can get after the quarterback.

I don't see the logic in Paea over Liuget. Paea was pretty productive in college, but almost any scouting report I've read talks about his limited athleticism and lack of ability to penetrate. We don't need a 1-tech, we need a Tommie Harris circa 2004. Plus, there's the whole knee injury, which is what is pushing him out of the 1st round currently.

Not saying you have to love Liuget, I understand the skepticism there, but I'm an emphatic no to Paea in the 1st round.

EDIT: I see that Scott thinks he can pass-rush. Can't say I'm usually a big fan of Scott's prognostications, however.
We definitely need a NT. A NT can pressure the QB as well. Paea is every bit the athlete Liuget is. Paea has been a much more productive pass rusher as well.

The only thing I see Liuget do better than Paea is play 2 gap run D. That wont help him with us.

bearsfan_51
03-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Assuming Scott's mock plays out and guys like Carimini and Pouncey aren't available, I'd like to see a trade back that looks something like this:

Bears send 29th pick to the St. Louis Rams for the 45th and 78th picks.

Then we could do something like this:

45th- Danny Watkins, G, Baylor
62nd- Ben Ijalana, OT/G, Villanova
78th- Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
93rd- Davon House, CB, New Mexico State

regoob2
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Assuming Scott's mock plays out and guys like Carimini and Pouncey aren't available, I'd like to see a trade back that looks something like this:

93rd- Davon House, CB, New Mexico StateI hope we wouldnt take Carimi or Pouncey if they are there.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't see any scenario where Danny Watkins falls to #45.

I would gladly take Watkins or Pouncey @ our pick in the first.

bearsfan_51
03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Watkins is 27 years old. I think that's enough to make him fall out of the top 40.

k0ng
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM

93rd- Davon House, CB, New Mexico State

That would be a pretty good haul, assuming we do something in FA. Add Jared Gaither, Brandon Mebane, and call it an offseason. This would also allow us to do whatever the hell we wanted in rounds 4-6.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Watkins is 27 years old. I think that's enough to make him fall out of the top 40.

He is really fuking good though too.

The age is definitely a concern, but doesn't he make a ton of sense for a team like Indy who needs a quick fix on the OL?

I just can't see him falling that far.

regoob2
03-30-2011, 07:10 AM
That would be a pretty good haul, assuming we do something in FA. Add Jared Gaither, Brandon Mebane, and call it an offseason. This would also allow us to do whatever the hell we wanted in rounds 4-6.
Only Gaither and Mebane huh.... That wont cost us to much.

k0ng
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Only Gaither and Mebane huh.... That wont cost us to much.

We should have a good amount of cap space once the new labor deal is agreed upon, no?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I guess Tice told Mike Pouncey "See you in training camp." He's getting some pub but 29 is the right place for him.

Also, does Tice not follow DeMaurice on twitter?

regoob2
03-31-2011, 04:21 PM
We should have a good amount of cap space once the new labor deal is agreed upon, no?
Maybe, maybe not. Why would we won't to give Gaither $10 mil a yr to get hurt or just be above average? He's not an elite player and won't be worth the money he's paid.

regoob2
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
I guess Tice told Mike Pouncey "See you in training camp." He's getting some pub but 29 is the right place for him.

Also, does Tice not follow DeMaurice on twitter?
I hope I'm wrong about Pouncey if we do draft him. I guess since we never play out of the shotgun he won't be so bad. I've never seen a first round OG.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Sure you have, they just don't stand out.

regoob2
03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Sure you have, they just don't stand out.
If you're a first rounder then you should stand out.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Well keep it fairly recent so: Steve Hutchinson, Logan Mankins, Ben Grubbs, Shaun Andrews, Davin Joseph all went first round. They all stand out.

edit: They just don't stand out on draft day since it sounds like a boring use of a first round pick.

jrdrylie
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Marvin Austin is having a stellar offseason and I'm hearing a lot of talk that he may not even make it out of the first round. He is a guy I could see the Bears grabbing at 29. If the year off has helped him mature (which it appears it has) then I would be fine with it because he has great abilities. I'd much rather have an offensive lineman but it is looking more likely every day that DT is the direction we'll go round one.

regoob2
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Marvin Austin is having a stellar offseason and I'm hearing a lot of talk that he may not even make it out of the first round. He is a guy I could see the Bears grabbing at 29. If the year off has helped him mature (which it appears it has) then I would be fine with it because he has great abilities. I'd much rather have an offensive lineman but it is looking more likely every day that DT is the direction we'll go round one.
I was at the east west shrine game. He was a beast. All his teammates seemed to really like him. I'd rather go Paea in the 1st if we got DT but I could see it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
A name that I don't hear mentioned often w/ the Bears, but is a realistic option is Phil Taylor.

Anyone have a strong opinion either way on him?

If Marinelli could get him motivated.. He could be pretty damn special.

I'd be more than happy w/ any of Liuget, Austin, or Phil Taylor if the OL class doesn't shake out well for us.

Hurricane Ditka
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
A name that I don't hear mentioned often w/ the Bears, but is a realistic option is Phil Taylor.

I'd be more than happy w/ any of Liuget, Austin, or Phil Taylor if the OL class doesn't shake out well for us.

I don't see Lovie playing a 340 lb DT

regoob2
04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

I dont think he's a realistic option at all. He's not athletic enough to play in our system.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
For the life of him, he doesn’t know why Corey Liuget hasn’t gotten more love in the weeks leading up to the draft. He calls Marcell Dareus the top talent at that position and then puts Liuget right in behind him. He believes there will be one team that doesn’t miss out on this, either, and Liuget will go higher than most anyone imagines.

“He is the next best 4-3 defensive tackle out there,” the scout said. “He’s as good as Gerald McCoy(notes) but for some reason he’s not getting the same exposure. He’s not far off from where Tommie Harris(notes) was with the Bears when he was healthy. Liuget is maybe stronger. This player is for real.”

We can probably cross Liuget off the list. He will be long gone, unfortunately.

Not really surprising, but he is really gaining steam. Would have loved him.

regoob2
04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
For the life of him, he doesn’t know why Corey Liuget hasn’t gotten more love in the weeks leading up to the draft. He calls Marcell Dareus the top talent at that position and then puts Liuget right in behind him. He believes there will be one team that doesn’t miss out on this, either, and Liuget will go higher than most anyone imagines.

“He is the next best 4-3 defensive tackle out there,” the scout said. “He’s as good as Gerald McCoy(notes) but for some reason he’s not getting the same exposure. He’s not far off from where Tommie Harris(notes) was with the Bears when he was healthy. Liuget is maybe stronger. This player is for real.”

We can probably cross Liuget off the list. He will be long gone, unfortunately.

Not really surprising, but he is really gaining steam. Would have loved him.
Who said that?

Mr.Regular
04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey guys, I was the Packers and Bears for the 5 rounds in 5 days live mock draft that Shane helped host.

I got for you guys
1- Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
2- Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL)
5a- Brandon Fusco, G/C, Slippery Rock
5b- David Carter, DT, UCLA
5c- Richard Sherman, CB, Stanford

What do you guys think?

I moved up in round 1 to get Carimi cause OT's were going fast...same with Hankerson...value was good, but receivers started going fast. Had to unload a 3 and 4 but got a bunch of 5ths later. Thoughts?

regoob2
04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, I was the Packers and Bears for the 5 rounds in 5 days live mock draft that Shane helped host.

I got for you guys
1- Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
2- Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL)
5a- Brandon Fusco, G/C, Slippery Rock
5b- David Carter, DT, UCLA
5c- Richard Sherman, CB, Stanford

What do you guys think?

I moved up in round 1 to get Carimi cause OT's were going fast...same with Hankerson...value was good, but receivers started going fast. Had to unload a 3 and 4 but got a bunch of 5ths later. Thoughts?
Id say you did pretty terrible. Thats why you dont trade up. I dont want Carimi if he's there at #29. Carimi struggles with speed just like Omiyale. If we move Webb to LT and keep Williams at LG then the Carimi pick could make sense but trading up for him was terrible. Trading up for Hankerson actually makes less sense. Our top 3 needs are at OG, UT and CB. You address those positions but not with guys that have a starting caliber grade.

Mr.Regular
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Id say you did pretty terrible. Thats why you dont trade up. I dont want Carimi if he's there at #29. Carimi struggles with speed just like Omiyale. If we move Webb to LT and keep Williams at LG then the Carimi pick could make sense but trading up for him was terrible. Trading up for Hankerson actually makes less sense. Our top 3 needs are at OG, UT and CB. You address those positions but not with guys that have a starting caliber grade.
Ouch!
haha, honestly, I was excited about how I did for Chicago.
I went into the first round wanting Liuget, but he went to the Giants. After that, the tackles started going, and I wanted to make sure I grabbed a guy before Indy/Philly etc came up, so I had to move up.
Personally, I love Carimi. Think he'll be a long term starter at tackle, and I believe in him at LT. Worst case scenario is you're getting a beast at RT, though I think he can fit in on both sides. I have him as my #1 tackle in the class.

Second round, I wanted Nevis. He went to Philly, and there were no other UT's really available, so I turned to WR, which I think you're underrating as a need. Hankerson is awesome value, he has #1 potential, and to only have to swap a 4 for a 5 to make sure I got him was a bargain IMO.

I missed on Liuget and Nevis, but I still wanted to grab a UT. I think Carter is an awesome fit for you. He's underrated, I look for him to go in that range in real life. Same thing with Fusco, he's got starter potential.

As for corner, I knew it was a need, but I wasn't going to take a corner over OLine, DT, and WR, unless the value was awesome. That's why I waited on Sherman, who I love. Think he'll be awesome as a a cover 2 corner.

All in all, thought I did well, but my biggest regret was having to wait on DT. I do like Carter, but it would have been nice to grab someone earlier. Thanks for the feedback though, I understand your criticisms. Would you have preferred to be more aggressive and go get Liuget in round 1?
If I had stayed put the OT's would have been gone, Liuget gone, corners gone.... May have had to go after Ijalana or Watkins, or something.

MidwayMonster31
04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
We have our share of problems, despite how far we got last year. I would be okay with Carimi or Watkins if we stayed put. Trading down a bit for Ijalana, or even Nevis, would also work for me. I also like Cedric Thornton as a small school sleeper at DT. Somehow, I think Fusco is going to get drafted a little earlier than he should be.

bearsfan_51
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
I really like Carimi, but I hate that draft. We got one good player. Our receivers are fine.

regoob2
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Ouch!
haha, honestly, I was excited about how I did for Chicago.
I went into the first round wanting Liuget, but he went to the Giants. After that, the tackles started going, and I wanted to make sure I grabbed a guy before Indy/Philly etc came up, so I had to move up.
Personally, I love Carimi. Think he'll be a long term starter at tackle, and I believe in him at LT. Worst case scenario is you're getting a beast at RT, though I think he can fit in on both sides. I have him as my #1 tackle in the class.

Second round, I wanted Nevis. He went to Philly, and there were no other UT's really available, so I turned to WR, which I think you're underrating as a need. Hankerson is awesome value, he has #1 potential, and to only have to swap a 4 for a 5 to make sure I got him was a bargain IMO.

I missed on Liuget and Nevis, but I still wanted to grab a UT. I think Carter is an awesome fit for you. He's underrated, I look for him to go in that range in real life. Same thing with Fusco, he's got starter potential.

As for corner, I knew it was a need, but I wasn't going to take a corner over OLine, DT, and WR, unless the value was awesome. That's why I waited on Sherman, who I love. Think he'll be awesome as a a cover 2 corner.

All in all, thought I did well, but my biggest regret was having to wait on DT. I do like Carter, but it would have been nice to grab someone earlier. Thanks for the feedback though, I understand your criticisms. Would you have preferred to be more aggressive and go get Liuget in round 1?
If I had stayed put the OT's would have been gone, Liuget gone, corners gone.... May have had to go after Ijalana or Watkins, or something.
I like Carimi. Just not in our system. With Martz calling 7 step drops with 5 targets running routes Carimi is gonna get speed rushed to death. At LT or RT. I'd take Paea or Ijalana to play OG. I'd rather have Chris Williams at LT.

I'm a big fan of Hankerson and id love him in the 2nd but to give up a pick to get his is to much. We have WAY to many holes to be trading up once let alone twice.

bigbuc
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Guys I was just thinking how good Stephen Paea would be for you at 29. Everyone says you need O line help, which you do. But the more I think about it the more DT seems to me to be the biggest need after the release of Harris. Paea looks like what Rod likes in his Dt's. Quick, Strong as an Ox. The knee just has to check out.

regoob2
04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Guys I was just thinking how good Stephen Paea would be for you at 29. Everyone says you need O line help, which you do. But the more I think about it the more DT seems to me to be the biggest need after the release of Harris. Paea looks like what Rod likes in his Dt's. Quick, Strong as an Ox. The knee just has to check out.
I definitely agree. I'm a huge fan of his.

Monomach
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I love how releasing a guy who played 10% of the snaps means that we need a first rounder to replace him while we don't have a single OL that could be called league-average.

That's some Jerry Angelo logic right there.

UT is a third round need. We need five OL starters. It does not make sense.

regoob2
04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I love how releasing a guy who played 10% of the snaps means that we need a first rounder to replace him while we don't have a single OL that could be called league-average.

That's some Jerry Angelo logic right there.

UT is a third round need. We need five OL starters. It does not make sense.
Its not just Tommie. Melton showed flashes of great play but he was inconsistent. The UT position definitely warrants 1st consideration. If we move Williams back to OT then we don't go OT in the 1st. No OG would be better value.

bearsfan_51
04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
We needed a UT before we released Tommie. I don't think that had much to do with it, and I don't think most people are saying that.

regoob2
04-13-2011, 12:38 PM

93rd- Davon House, CB, New Mexico StateI was rereading some of this thread and this would be a great offseason.

I have no idea why the experts don't kime Nevis. Kids a gamer. If he can be allowed to play at 285 he's gonna be a steal.

regoob2
04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Does anyone want to have a team mock competition?

Wavy77
04-14-2011, 07:07 AM
I was rereading some of this thread and this would be a great offseason.

I have no idea why the experts don't kime Nevis. Kids a gamer. If he can be allowed to play at 285 he's gonna be a steal.

He's gained some weight, and on his pro day he was up to 298 (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205112574).

I like him as well. To me I'm ok with taking him in the 2nd round.

regoob2
04-14-2011, 07:24 AM
He's gained some weight, and on his pro day he was up to 298 (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205112574).

I like him as well. To me I'm ok with taking him in the 2nd round.
I prefer him at a lighter weight. He wasn't as dominant later in the season. He may have been adding weight then.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been watching a bit of Orlando Franklin recently ..

And the more I see the more I like.

I'd prefer him inside at guard however. It would be nice to grab him in the 2nd. His value is a bit all over the place though. His demeanor is something that Tice would like, I believe.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Random mock:

1) Danny Watkins - OG - Baylor
2) Orlando Franklin - OT/OG - Miami
3) Jarvis Jenkins - DT - Clemson
4) Jalil Brown - CB - Colorado
5) Chris Culliver - DB - South Carolina
6) Nate Enderle - QB - Idaho

regoob2
04-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Random mock:

1) Danny Watkins - OG - Baylor
2) Orlando Franklin - OT/OG - Miami
3) Jarvis Jenkins - DT - Clemson
4) Jalil Brown - CB - Colorado
5) Chris Culliver - DB - South Carolina
6) Nate Enderle - QB - Idaho
Id be ok with that.

regoob2
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Im working on my mock and I love all my picks, except for our 1st rounder. I really hope we can trade down.

SFbear
04-20-2011, 06:23 PM
In case you haven't seen it:

@SI_PeterKing
Peter King
RT @B_Toom_3: Any chance OT Gabe Carimi falls to the Packers at 32? ... Mike Tice loves him so much he'd adopt him. Bears pick 29th.
7 hours ago via TweetDeck

I highly doubt Carimi will drop to the 29th. Derek Sherrod screams Chris Williams to me. I don't really know what went wrong with Williams so that just leaves me with a queasy feeling about Sherrod.

bearsfan_51
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
If the Bears trade up, I think it will be for Carimi. Our 3rd round pick would get us up to 22nd. I know a lot of people wouldn't like that, but I could see it.

bearsfan_51
04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
In case you haven't seen it:

@SI_PeterKing
Peter King
RT @B_Toom_3: Any chance OT Gabe Carimi falls to the Packers at 32? ... Mike Tice loves him so much he'd adopt him. Bears pick 29th.
7 hours ago via TweetDeck

I highly doubt Carimi will drop to the 29th. Derek Sherrod screams Chris Williams to me. I don't really know what went wrong with Williams so that just leaves me with a queasy feeling about Sherrod.
Williams is soft. It's the reason why I liked Otah more, even though he had considerably less mobility.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-21-2011, 01:52 PM
If the Bears trade up, I think it will be for Carimi. Our 3rd round pick would get us up to 22nd. I know a lot of people wouldn't like that, but I could see it.

I have a feeling we move up in the second round instead of the first this year to grab the DT/OG we like.

It could be Marvin Austin or Paea if they don't go in the 1st.

Or someone like Orlando Franklin / Marcus Cannon.

Maybe even Jon Baldwin.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Our 2nd and 3rd round picks can move us to right around #48, which is about 14 spots. Pretty decent jump.

If Austin is still around at that time, I'd love that.

Maybe something like this:

#1 - Danny Watkins - OG - Baylor
#2 - Marvin Austin - DT - UNC

or

#1 - Marvin Austin - DT - UNC
#2 - Jon Baldwin - WR - Pitt

or

#2 - Stephen Paea - DT - Oregon State

regoob2
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Our 2nd and 3rd round picks can move us to right around #48, which is about 14 spots. Pretty decent jump.

If Austin is still around at that time, I'd love that.

Maybe something like this:

#2 - Marvin Austin - DT - UNC

or

#1 - Marvin Austin - DT - UNC
#2 - Jon Baldwin - WR - Pitt

or

#2 - Stephen Paea - DT - Oregon State
I'd go Watkins Paea.

I've never been a big fan of moving up.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Terrell McClain is this years Matt Forte, guys. Hes the small school 3rd rounder we've fallen in love that we'll draft in round 2. Not hating on Forte, hes obviously very good, just saying. So you can bet the farm he'll be number 62.

OL or DB will be 29, which means if someone doesn't fall we're trading down. We're also moving Webb to LT (its the sort of right idea/bad move we've come so accustomed to with our offseasons. It's not impossible it doesn't work out, I know, heres hopin') Anyone who doesn't think it's happening is in complete denial. Also, Garza is our RG. So we're looking for a LG and or RT. My thoughts are that Williams will play whichever position we don't draft (meaning based on who falls to us, he'll play other spot.) Right now, any combo of Watkins/Franklin/Cannon/Baldwin and McClain would be stellar. And, yes, I think Jon Baldwin is a very serious possibility.

I hate speaking in such definitives but less than a week away is when I start to lose my draft-goggles that anythings possible. We all have a good idea of what this team does, good or bad.

regoob2
04-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Terrell McClain is this years Matt Forte, guys. Hes the small school 3rd rounder we've fallen in love that we'll draft in round 2. Not hating on Forte, hes obviously very good, just saying. So you can bet the farm he'll be number 62.

OL or DB will be 29, which means if someone doesn't fall we're trading down. We're also moving Webb to LT (its the sort of right idea/bad move we've come so accustomed to with our offseasons. It's not impossible it doesn't work out, I know, heres hopin') Anyone who doesn't think it's happening is in complete denial. Also, Garza is our RG. So we're looking for a LG and or RT. My thoughts are that Williams will play whichever position we don't draft (meaning based on who falls to us, he'll play other spot.) Right now, any combo of Watkins/Franklin/Cannon/Baldwin and McClain would be stellar. And, yes, I think Jon Baldwin is a very serious possibility.

I hate speaking in such definitives but less than a week away is when I start to lose my draft-goggles that anythings possible. We all have a good idea of what this team does, good or bad.
Ya McClain looks like a lock in the 2nd if he's there. I don't love it. I don't hate it.

I'm just crossing my fingers for a trade down.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I get the feeling we end up w/ Austin. Just a feeling, nothing more.

Excited for the draft to almost be here..

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-26-2011, 02:33 PM
You seem him crying his eyes out face buried in his mamas bosom on ESPN? Dude seems like a nut case. If it was legit, its crazy. If it was an act, its crazy.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Derek Sherrod and Marvin Austin seem like the two most likely options, but who knows. It's a fools errand to expect much accuracy past the top 10-15 picks.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
You seem him crying his eyes out face buried in his mamas bosom on ESPN? Dude seems like a nut case. If it was legit, its crazy. If it was an act, its crazy.

I just watched it now that you brought it up.. Indeed awkward.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6396333&categoryid=2378529

He looks to be in great shape and makes a lot of sense..

Lovie Smith was at his pro day / greeted him.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Derek Sherrod and Marvin Austin seem like the two most likely options, but who knows. It's a fools errand to expect much accuracy past the top 10-15 picks.

Yeah, I think the 2nd round QBs are all going to go at the bottom of the first which will help us.

I think Ponder, Dalton, Mallet, all go in the first. Along with Newton & Gabbert, obviously. That's 5/29 right there. Which makes a trade very likely too. Maybe can rob some team desperate for one of them.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2011, 04:33 PM
That video made me more comfortable taking Austin. It's hard to judge him on his relationship with his Mom, that's common in black culture, where they are often single parents. I have no idea if that's the case with him, but I don't think it has much to do with his draft stock. Dude loves his Mom.

jrdrylie
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
That video made me more comfortable taking Austin. It's hard to judge him on his relationship with his Mom, that's common in black culture, where they are often single parents. I have no idea if that's the case with him, but I don't think it has much to do with his draft stock. Dude loves his Mom.

If Newton's relationship with his father doesn't take him out of consideration for the top pick Austin's relationship with his mom definitely shouldn't take him out of late first round consideration.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Barring colossal free fall by someone:

1A) Pouncey
1B) Carimi
Trade down
Baldwin/McClain

That's about it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-28-2011, 03:13 AM
I am not buying the McClain bs.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
I am not buying the McClain bs.
I am. Not in the 1st though.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I hope you didn't think that's what I meant. If Pouncey's there he's our guy. If hes gone and Carimi is there hes our guy, but if neither are there we trade down. Then I think we go Baldwin and McClain in round 2.

Or do you just not believe we're taking McClain at all?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I hope you didn't think that's what I meant. If Pouncey's there he's our guy. If hes gone and Carimi is there hes our guy, but if neither are there we trade down. Then I think we go Baldwin and McClain in round 2.

Or do you just not believe we're taking McClain at all?

I just don't believe we are taking McClain at all.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I just don't believe we are taking McClain at all.
Why don't you think we'll draft him?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Why don't you think we'll draft him?

Just because of where he's projected to go. I think we take a OT-OG-C at the end of the 2nd, and a DT/WR in the first.

If we slide down, grab another pick in the 2nd, maybe we take him, but I just am not buying it.

I am just hoping all these QBs jump off the board early, because teams will panic and trade up into the first to grab their 2nd tier guy.

I would love to rape a team like Oakland who loves Kaepernick (spelling?).

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Dan Bazuin thinks we'll take McClain in round 2.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Christian Ponder? lololololololololol

At least we know who's gonna be 4th place in the north for the next 5 years.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Suh and Fairley are going to be scary good. That picks just bumps OG up a notch as a need.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Nothing unexpected so far as it concerns us at the moment. My top 10 available looks like this:

1) Prince Amukamara
2) Gabe Carimi
3) Anthony Castonzo
4) Derrick Sherrod
5) Da'Quan Bowers
6) Cameron Jordan (as a UT)
7) Muhammad Wilkerson (as a NT, obviously)
8) Marvin Austin
9) Danny Watkins
10) Andy Dalton....I kid.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
That said, if I can't get one of the top 3 lineman I'm dying to trade down.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Suh and Fairley are going to be scary good. That picks just bumps OG up a notch as a need.

They already had arguably the best DT rotation in the NFL.

GL Kreutz.

Hurricane Ditka
04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Will the Bears make their first first round pick in 3 years?

Gay Ork Wang
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
CARIMI!!!!

bearsfan_51
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.ajwnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/gabe-carimi-sanford-carimi.gif

Beast.

Hurricane Ditka
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Awesome sauce

SFbear
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
So we were either trying to trade up with Baltimore to get James Baldwin or Carimi(or possibly Ingram but unlikely) but thankfully the trade didn't go through. Really happy with Carimi as the pick but shocked he fell as far as he did.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
So we were either trying to trade up with Baltimore to get James Baldwin or Carimi(or possibly Ingram but unlikely) but thankfully the trade didn't go through. Really happy with Carimi as the pick but shocked he fell as far as he did.
It was Carimi.

Carimi could be a 10 year starter at RT. I was never real high on Carimi but im ok with this pick. Tice is high on him and I think he'll definitely help the team.

At least we know what our OL will look like.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
BONER BONER BONER BONER ROCKIN EVERYWHERE!!!

My numero uno pick. You're ******* welcome.

Monomach
04-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Hoping for someone from this list in the second:

Stefan Wisniewski, OC
Rodney Hudson, OC
Jurrell Casey, DT
Jarvis Jenkins, DT
Marvin Austin, DT
Orlando Franklin, OT/OG
Clint Boling, OG
Davon House, CB
John Moffitt, OG/OC
Ben Ijalana, OT
Leonard Hankerson, WR
Greg Little, WR
Ras-I Dowling, CB

Just heaps of sexy, sexy talent left in this draft. So deep.

As for the first rounder...Yeah. Damned good. I love a guy who plays like he wants to kill the opposition. Opposite of Chris Williams.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Good list. I'm a big Hudson fan. I do think Terrell McClain is a realistic option at 62.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Will Rackley - OG - Lehigh

Monomach
04-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Add Drake Nevis to that list.

One of the side effects of the draft probably being the deepest ever at DT is that you can't remember all of them.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Carimi on paper was obvious for us but I'm delighted we didn't screw that up. Which means...I think Ruskell will take guys he knows he should pick in favor of guys whos names we have written all over our diary.

So maybe McClain waits until a much more logical 93 rather than 62...Idk, something feels different about our approach now. Something better. Something wetter...

regoob2
04-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Carimi on paper was obvious for us but I'm delighted we didn't screw that up. Which means...I think Ruskell will take guys he knows he should pick in favor of guys whos names we have written all over our diary.

So maybe McClain waits until a much more logical 93 rather than 62...Idk, something feels different about our approach now. Something better. Something wetter...
They said they focus a lot more on the early round prospects compared to the mid-late round guys.

Payed off with Carimi.

SFbear
04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
I wonder if this has any legs-
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/ravens-want-fourth-round-pick-from-bears/

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Fuk off Ozzie!

That's our 4th rounder!

BeerBaron
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
JA has gotten so good at screwing up the draft that he is now screwing up the drafts for other teams...

And if they take our 4th, **** em. We didn't get their pick, they don't get ours. Our fault or not.

BTW I'm pretty happy about Carimi. After hearing Marvin "High School Hype" Austin linked to us so damn much, I would have been just fine with nearly anybody else. Carimi is solid.

regoob2
04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
I wonder if this has any legs-
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/ravens-want-fourth-round-pick-from-bears/
It can't. Its happened before. There was never a trade made.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 12:48 PM
They said they focus a lot more on the early round prospects compared to the mid-late round guys.

Payed off with Carimi.

Exactly what I was talking about, yeah. But I meant maybe we've changed to a staunch BPA theory, as well.

Oh, and just like Olsen was BPA/need, I'm 60% sure we're going to follow up Carimi with a wasted Bazuin selection :/ Holy **** after typing that I went and looked at that draft and...Bazuin and Wolfe were the 62nd and 93rd picks...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!111

Monomach
04-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Exactly what I was talking about, yeah. But I meant maybe we've changed to a staunch BPA theory, as well.

Oh, and just like Olsen was BPA/need, I'm 60% sure we're going to follow up Carimi with a wasted Bazuin selection :/ Holy **** after typing that I went and looked at that draft and...Bazuin and Wolfe were the 62nd and 93rd picks...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!111

Don't forget Michael Okwo exactly one spot after Wolfe. Imagine how good we'd be if those three picks weren't wasted.

I remember that I wanted Quincy Black, Michael Bush, and Manny Ramirez there. Obviously, Manny Ramirez blows and Quicy Black is basically a young Hunter Hillenmeyer, but Michael Bush owns souls.

Hurricane Ditka
04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
The Ravens shouldn't get dick. It happens. I'm think WR in the second. Got Cutler some more protection now get him some more options.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Heard on local ESPN affiliate that "a source" said that the Bears are targeting another Wisconsin lineman, Moffitt, in the second...as a Center.

Sounds too good to be true. He's another mauler with a nasty attitude. Couldn't hurt to have two buddies who played on the same line in college together in the locker room, either...especially when it's time to sign their second contracts.

It'd be very unJerrylike to go OL in the first and second.

2- Moffitt
3- Best DT available?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
If we get 2 players from the same school, like we like to do now, that would be sweet. (Much better than Austin and Little) Especially as a Center if thats true. I was thinking Wisniewski at 62 after we took Carimi but I could live with that. A little high for Moffitt but the 2 as a pair would make up for it.

[edit] I was thinking WR too before I read that. Its cliche now but Little makes the most sense there.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Hoping for someone from this list in the second:

Stefan Wisniewski, OC
Rodney Hudson, OC
Jurrell Casey, DT
Jarvis Jenkins, DT
Marvin Austin, DT
Orlando Franklin, OT/OG
Clint Boling, OG
Davon House, CB
John Moffitt, OG/OC
Ben Ijalana, OT
Leonard Hankerson, WR
Greg Little, WR
Ras-I Dowling, CB

Just heaps of sexy, sexy talent left in this draft. So deep.

As for the first rounder...Yeah. Damned good. I love a guy who plays like he wants to kill the opposition. Opposite of Chris Williams.

Few names missing from this list:

Brandon Harris
Aaron Williams
Christian Ballard
Allen Bailey
Stephen Paea
Bruce Carter
Torrey Smith
Will Rackley
Marcus Gilbert

We are going to get another really good player.. I am excited.

I wouldn't touch Moffit until the 3rd, however. If we go center, give me Hudson or Wisniewski, but I think Wis is going to the Raiders.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Even though I obviously don't want to lose the draft pick, I can certainly see the argument of giving it to Baltimore. It's stunning that you could agree to a trade and simply not report it because both staffers "thought the other guy was doing it." That's beyond embarrassing.

Either way, both of those staffers should be fired immediately.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Even though I obviously don't want to lose the draft pick, I can certainly see the argument of giving it to Baltimore. It's stunning that you could agree to a trade and simply not report it because both staffers "thought the other guy was doing it." That's beyond embarrassing.

Either way, both of those staffers should be fired immediately.

Angelo can't be well respected around the league. Tons of blunders like this.

How about calling James Stark, telling him he was being drafted, and then drafting someone else.. Just ugly.

Can you imagine if Baltimore wanted Baldwin how ugly this would be?

bearsfan_51
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I like Angelo. Whereas other people might find him too draconian (or simply like to complain no matter who is in charge), I like that he consistently follows his gameplan and convictions.

That said, it's just....weird. For a staff that preaches not overreaching, it seems like they are often trying to make too many steps when simply one will do. Angelo blames the disconnect on too many things occurring at once. Well, if you don't have the trade/pick settled within five minutes, you simply don't do it. Balancing numerous conversations down to the last minute is untenable.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Angelo can't be well respected around the league. Tons of blunders like this.

How about calling James Stark, telling him he was being drafted, and then drafting someone else.. Just ugly.

Can you imagine if Baltimore wanted Baldwin how ugly this would be?

Disagree. Nearly EVERYONE who's ever been drafted has been called and told that exact same thing only to see someone else's name scrolling across the screen. Par for the course.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh, and hey Ozzie, go **** yourself.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Disagree. Nearly EVERYONE who's ever been drafted has been called and told that exact same thing only to see someone else's name scrolling across the screen. Par for the course.

Um, no.

Teams may call ahead and say "Hey, we might be taking you here" but to call him and tell him the pick was in while you are on the clock is not par for the course.

Gabriel described it as the most embarrassing thing he's ever been apart of.

"and while Gabriel was explaining rookie minicamp to Starks, general manager Jerry Angelo changed his mind."

This is not STANDARD.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 04:41 PM
I've been reading draft crap online all day and haven't seen anything else about Bears/Moffitt.

Either the "source" was so great that he's the only one who leaked the plan or the radio host was full of ****.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
My personal short list:

Da’Quan Bowers
Marvin Austin
Torrey Smith
Ben Ijalana
Rodney Hudson
Stephen Paea
Allen Bailey
Marcus Cannon
Davon House
Jurrell Casey
Drake Nevis
Terrell McClain
Clint Boling

I really like Torrey Smith, dude has crazy ups, but he won't last.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Bears use the 2nd and 4th rounder on Steven Paea. Damn, that's sexy.

This is so weird. Usually, I'm screaming at Jerry Angelo after a Bears draft pick. He's being surprisingly competent this week.

xspikex
04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Nice pick! I really like our first two picks!

SFbear
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I remember reading that if Carimi hadn't been there we would have taken Paea so we had a first round grade on him.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I remember reading that if Carimi hadn't been there we would have taken Paea so we had a first round grade on him.

He was my #3 DT in the draft. I could have lived with him in the first if they insisted on going DT.

regoob2
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
What an incredible draft. He was my #3 DT as well.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
So far so good.

Some good OGs still left.

There goes Greg Little =(

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Can we proclaim draft winners yet?

Holy cow, what a first couple picks...I'm in shock. Tim Ruskell is the ******* man.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Can we proclaim draft winners yet?

Holy cow, what a first couple picks...I'm in shock. Tim Ruskell is the ******* man.

There's still time to take some small-school DE in the third. Or a 4 ft tall running back. Or some guy to back up Briggs for a year before being cut.

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I grew up a Packers Fan.....I now realize the error of my ways.
@GabeCarimi Gabe Carimi I'm thinking changing my nick name to "The Bear Jew" how about it bear nation?? Lol

Best. Pick. Ever.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Gabe Carimi can impregnate me. No ****.

He's going to be one of our legend-type of players that gets loved for life.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Allen Bailey please?

I wanted Jah Reid =(

Fits the Tice mold as well.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Bailey & Nevis both off the board.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Bears select Chris Conte..........

regoob2
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome to Chicago Craig Steltz.....

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
well we got us a STer

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2011, 09:17 PM
******* pathetic. This feels much more like a JA pick.

With Cannon, Fusco, and Doss all waiting for us. ******* ********.
[edit] and Deunte Williams if u wanted a ******* safety so ******* bad. God damnit.

BeerBaron
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Conte...Steltz 2.0.

We're playing a game of "how many mediocre safeties can we stockpile?"

First two picks are solid though.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
******* pathetic. This feels much more like a JA pick.

With Cannon, Fusco, and Doss all waiting for us. ******* ********.
[edit] and Deunte Williams if u wanted a ******* safety so ******* bad. God damnit.
It's the 93 pick in the draft, calm the **** down.

jrdrylie
04-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Conte...Steltz 2.0.

We're playing a game of "how many mediocre safeties can we stockpile?"

First two picks are solid though.

The worst part about that pick is that it likely means we won't even try to resign Manning. Would have much rather drafted Tandon Doss and thrown 5-7 million a year at Manning. But we can't complain too much, Carimi and Paea were great picks!

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-30-2011, 12:45 AM
It's the 93 pick in the draft, calm the **** down.

No. It's ridiculous.

Monomach
04-30-2011, 04:14 AM
Man, I knew that JA and Lovie would return to their old ways in the third. Seems like the third and fifth rounds are when they always draft special teamers. Of course we need Craig Steltz again. No sense in trying for a guard or receiver with upside, right?

Almost criminal to not take House or Boling there.

At least he didn't **** around with the first two picks this time. He hit real home runs there.

regoob2
04-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I just dont understand the pick. Are we replacing Major Wright already or are we picking a career backup? :(

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Career backup. The reason I got so upset was that we don't pick again until the end of round 5. Thats virtually 2 whole rounds later so I wanted to nail the 3rd and relax.

House, Boling, Burton, those are better corners and guard than Conte is a safety. Excuse me, special teamer :/

regoob2
04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Maybe we view Major Wright as a SS. If we keep Harris at FS where he had a pro bowl caliber season, Wright at SS and develop Conte for a few seasons I'd be ok with that.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Previous 93rd picks:

2010- Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa
2009- Corey Irvin, DT, Georgia
2008- Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech
2007- Garrett Wolfe, RB, Northern Illinois
2006- Dominique Byrd, TE, USC

Moeaki was a good pick, Wheeler is a solid backup, and the other three are special teams players or irrelevant. Stop being such know-it-all draftnicks. It's important to find gems in the late rounds, but it's also important to remember that the majority of these players are meant to be depth and special teams. It's a crapshoot at this point.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 11:25 AM
And don't get me wrong, I don't like this pick at the moment, but if he contributes on special teams and adds depth, then I'm not going to complain. I personally think Steltz was an ok pick. The real 3rd-4th round busts are the guys who don't even make the team.

But with all that said, we nailed our two most important picks, and that matters WAY more than who we take in the later rounds. If Carimi and Paea are multi-year starters, nobody will care what else happens.

Bearsfan123
04-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Any thoughts on who might be left in the 5th for us?

Im hoping for one of these:

Marcus Cannon OG: My pipe dream is that he falls due to his injury and we can steal him.

Jalil Brown CB: We need a corner, he fits what we can really use.

Kris O' Dowd C: A possible replacement for Kreutz though at least a year away.

Owen Marecic FB: We need a guy who can help our run game get those tough yards. I think he can be that guy.

Im hoping one of those guys are there in the 5th.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Previous 93rd picks:

2010- Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa
2009- Corey Irvin, DT, Georgia
2008- Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech
2007- Garrett Wolfe, RB, Northern Illinois
2006- Dominique Byrd, TE, USC

Moeaki was a good pick, Wheeler is a solid backup, and the other three are special teams players or irrelevant. Stop being such know-it-all draftnicks. It's important to find gems in the late rounds, but it's also important to remember that the majority of these players are meant to be depth and special teams. It's a crapshoot at this point.

I don't want to be argumentative but the point I was trying to make would not be who the last five 93rd overall selections were but who they could've been.

And I hope Conte turns out to be a stud for us at...something.. too ;) I kinda flew off the handle but c'mon House or Burton would've been sick and contributed on ST. But, that being said, as of right now they're both still available. So there ya go.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 12:15 PM
I personally would have liked Clint Boling, but it is what it is.

If Ricky Stanzi is available in the 5th is it too much of a luxury pick to go there? He'd be a fan favorite at least.

I'd like to see us take a look at Tandon Doss if he somehow lasts that long as well.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I only really follow Big Ten football, so at this point I don't know who anyone else is.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Well there goes Doss.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I bet we'd be interesting in Greg Jones. He fits the mold.

bearsfan_51
04-30-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm fine with Enderle, it's a bit of a luxury pick, but Hanie is an RFA. So long as he makes the roster this time.

Monomach
04-30-2011, 05:39 PM
So we got two sure starters who were great picks, one guy who could end up as a decent career backup QB, and some trash.

Better than most years, but disappointing with how many talented guys were still on the board when we made the trash picks.

I give it a B. Could have been a strong A+, but JA couldn't keep it up.

Bearsfan123
04-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Im happy with most of our draft. So UDFAs I know the draft isn't over but if Kris O Dowd goes undrafted he should get a look. Terrence Tolliver, Noel Devine, Kendric Burney. I know we can't sign them yet but regardless these are all guys I'd like to see us pursue.

regoob2
04-30-2011, 06:17 PM
So we got two sure starters who were great picks, one guy who could end up as a decent career backup QB, and some trash.

Better than most years, but disappointing with how many talented guys were still on the board when we made the trash picks.

I give it a B. Could have been a strong A+, but JA couldn't keep it up.
A B sounds about right. The first 2 picks were great. A lot of sites had Conte rated as a 3rd round pick so there has to be starting potential there. I understand the Enderle pick. We cant be assuming we'll get a starter with pick #160. Enderle should make the team so that's a good pick.

Monomach
04-30-2011, 06:58 PM
3- Clint Boling, OG/OT, Georgia
5- Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
6- Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississipi

That would have been incredible.

MidwayMonster31
05-01-2011, 01:13 AM
I'll give us a B. The Carimi and Paea picks were great. If Conte can prove himself in coverage then we got a good safety, but I'm skeptical. Enderle is a decent risk to take in the 5th round, but he probably won't play for us anytime soon. Thomas was a good 6th round pick and might have starting potential.

jrdrylie
05-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I'll give this draft a solid A- or B+. Carimi, Paea, and Thomad were very good picks. Conte was okay but there were better corners and safeties on the board as well as Tandon Doss. I'll give Enderle an incomplete. I like him as a prospect but I'll wait and see if it was a mistake to pass on other needs if we goby get free agents like O'Dowd and Tolliver.

iowatreat54
05-01-2011, 12:57 PM
So from the ESPN NFC North "Draft Analysis":

Best Move: Vikings taking Christian Ponder
Riskiest Move: Lions taking Nick Fairley
Most Surprising Move: Bears taking Gabe Carimi

I don't even know what to say to those classifications...

Monomach
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM

I understand why we'd be the most surprising. After all, who on earth figured Carimi would fall to us? I can even see the Lions being risky because they ignored starting-caliber corners when they're trotting trash like Vasher and Smith out there. But Christian Ponder at 12th overall is the best move in the division?

Best for the teams the Vikings compete with, maybe.

villagewarrior
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Just reading over your comments a little and it looks like I agree with most of your sentiments. I think the Bears hit home runs with their first two picks in Carimi and Paea. I thought Carimi was the top tackle in the class so to get him at 29 is a great deal, and you didn't have to trade up to get him. Paea is a stud and fits their defense I think. Enderle is a great flyer at quarterback and you never know when one of those young guys can be flipped for a player or pick later on. I'm not familiar with Conte or Thomas, but Thomas looks like a rangy athlete on tape and should provide good depth and special teams play. Conte looks stiff. I like what the Bears did.

shady00
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Best Move and Surprising Move are swapped, no?

k0ng
05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? If so, anyone worth looking at?

jrdrylie
05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? If so, anyone worth looking at?

They may still have one. But since no players have applied, it hasn't been scheduled yet. Depending on how fast the NCAA drops the hammer on Ohio State, guys like Terrelle Pryor, DeVier Posey, Mike Brewster, and Mike Adams could be available.

Brewster and Adams would both provide much needed offensive line help. I would not be mad if the Bears spent a 3rd rounder (maybe even a 2nd rounder) on either of those players. Posey and Pryor could give the Bears a tall receiver they need. Maybe a 5th for Posey and a 7th for Pryor.

Monomach
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
They may still have one. But since no players have applied, it hasn't been scheduled yet. Depending on how fast the NCAA drops the hammer on Ohio State, guys like Terrelle Pryor, DeVier Posey, Mike Brewster, and Mike Adams could be available.

Brewster and Adams would both provide much needed offensive line help. I would not be mad if the Bears spent a 3rd rounder (maybe even a 2nd rounder) on either of those players. Posey and Pryor could give the Bears a tall receiver they need. Maybe a 5th for Posey and a 7th for Pryor.

I don't buy Brewster or Adams being in it, though...especially Brewster. He's not even one of the guys getting suspended.

My way of valuing picks:
1st and 2nd rounds: Immediate impact players who fit the system, but no running backs unless they look like Barry Sanders
3rd round: Guys I feel fairly confident will be NFL starters within two years and pretty good running backs
4th round: Guys I feel somewhat confident will be future NFL starters at some point and average starting running backs
5th round: Really good fullbacks, kickers, punters, returners, and special teams gunners
6th and 7th rounds: Big character concerns, guys with all the physical traits but nothing else, serious injury concerns- basically boom-or-bust types

For supplemental picks, I value the players the same as I would in a normal draft.

-Brewster would start at Center right away. He looks like he's a Mangold type. Seeing as how he doesn't really have any character concerns, I'd be ok with using a first rounder on him.

-Adams looks a bit too much like a zone guy to really fit in Chicago and is a little raw, but he looks like he's going to be a solid starting tackle in the future and probably serviceable at keeping Cutler off his ass in the first year. He's suspended for the first five games of next season for taking money and services. He has one paraphernalia arrest on his record. I'm not too scared by guys who show they're willing to play for money; after all, everyone in the NFL gets paid. So we have a single time being busted with a pipe to be worried about...and that's not much of a worry. I'd be ok with using a supplemental third on him. If he looks ok next year, he's going to go sometime before the mid-second, so he might as well not come out right now.

-Levier Posey is another of the suspended guys. He's a little slow for my taste. If you're a 4.5+ receiver, I want you to be bigger and more physical or have great hands and a big catch radius. He's not that. He's shown flashes and a small bit of improvement, but there's really nothing about his game to get fired up about. What's his upside? A decent slot guy working against linebackers and nickel backs a la Earl Bennett? We already have one Earl Bennett, and collecting multiple guys of that skillset is not going to be much of a help to any team. Not really interested because I think he'd end up getting cut pretty early. Worth a fourth rounder to me if we didn't already have the polished version of him on the roster. Someone else will probably spend a 5th-7th on him if he comes out.

Terrelle Pryor is Vincent Jackson's body with just as many character concerns and none of the production. He fits perfectly as a seventh round WR project. I suppose some idiot could spend a third on him and try to make him a QB, but I'm not that dumb.

So, yeah...the only way the supplemental draft would be worth paying attention to is if Brewster or Adams come out. Adams stands to gain more by staying and playing out the partial season at OSU next year. Brewster gains nothing at all by coming out, so that's not happening. Unless he falls off a cliff, he's a mid-first next year.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-25-2011, 01:01 PM
So teams can sign rookies and URFAs tomorrow. Who do you want?

O'Dowd, Kirkpatrick, or Barnes. And I've always felt Herzlich would make a beautiful SLB for us. After that, Tolliver or Andre Brown. No shockers. Your basic low risk, barrel-of-potential type players.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not really going to get into specific players because, quite honestly, it's a crapshoot in the 4th round, let alone with undrafted players.

That said, we need depth at offensive line, defensive line and linebacker. Mostly I think we'll be looking for special teams aces, which is perfectly understandable.

DoughBoy
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Brad Biggs reporting that the bears will be taking a close look at Justin Babin.
I think it would be a good fit because, outside of Detroit, the bears run the closest D to Jeff Fishers old scheme.

EDIT-Wrong thread, but you get the point.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
I'd like to add one of the OGs in Blalock or Davin Joseph.

Not real sure what were going to do with the $37M however..