But, it is early..

I also like..

AJ Green - WR - Georgia
Aaron Williams - CB - Texas
Julio Jones - WR - Alabama
Will Hill - S - Florida
Allen Bailey - DT - Miami
Rahim Moore - S - UCLA

I am not real sure who the top OTs are for next season. Other than the RT from USC.

MidwayMonster31
04-24-2010, 10:50 PM
AJ Green/ Julio Jones
Greg Jones or Quan Sturdivant would make great successors for Urlacher.
If we go 3-4, Chris Galippo will be a force in the middle.
Allen Bailey, Greg Romeus, Cameron Heyward, Da'Quan Bowers and Marvin Austin are beastly defensive linemen.
Such a loaded draft in 2011. Only 363 more days.

regoob2
04-25-2010, 02:52 PM
I really like Baldwin from Pitt.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I really like Baldwin from Pitt.

I think he's overrated. I don't see him running that well.

If we go with a receiver - I want Green, Julio, or Floyd.

regoob2
04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I think he's overrated. I don't see him running that well.

If we go with a receiver - I want Green, Julio, or Floyd.
You think Juilo and Floyd are faster?

Texas Homer
04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I like Patrick Peterson a lot too.

Texas CB Aaron Williams is likely to go high as well.

Hurricane Ditka
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/PounceyMike_100101_3891_TCasey.jpg

BeerBaron
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Stickied.

I'll write up something big later about my thoughts.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-26-2010, 01:05 AM
We will take Marvin Austin, Da'Quan Bowers, or Rahim Moore somewhere in the 20s, hopefully.

MidwayMonster31
09-26-2010, 01:17 AM
With Romeus having surgery, he might slip into the second round and that could be a hell of a steal.
That said, get me John Moffitt (he can play center or guard) or Colin Baxter to play center. For right tackle, Alabama's James Carpenter might be able to fit the bill.

regoob2
09-26-2010, 09:06 AM
We will take Marvin Austin, Da'Quan Bowers, or Rahim Moore somewhere in the 20s, hopefully.
I dont want anything to do with Austin. I doubt we'll pick in the 20s either.

BeerBaron
09-26-2010, 09:45 AM

The 30s then!? So be it! Ballsy ************.

regoob2
09-26-2010, 04:18 PM
For the fun of it.

1. Julio Jones WR Alabama
2. Mike Pouncey OG/C Florida
3. Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State
4. Ian Williams NT Notre Dame
5. Michael Morgan LB USC

Gay Ork Wang
09-26-2010, 06:31 PM
id rather not get a WR in the first round. CB/OL

regoob2
09-26-2010, 08:06 PM
id rather not get a WR in the first round. CB/OL
We still need a WR. I dont know if we'll go OT in the first. If we do it's admitting either Omiyale or Williams arent in the long term plans at OT. Dont think we'll do that. Also dont see an OT worth the pick outside of Castonzo (sp).

Bearsfan123
09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
We still need a WR. I dont know if we'll go OT in the first. If we do it's admitting either Omiyale or Williams arent in the long term plans at OT. Dont think we'll do that. Also dont see an OT worth the pick outside of Castonzo (sp).

There are 3 other positions on the O-line and none of them are filled longterm....

Gay Ork Wang
09-27-2010, 10:59 PM
also we need CBs

Monomach
09-27-2010, 11:05 PM
We have about a billion needs. We're going to have to be players in FA again.

The biggest needs are (in no particular order):
-4 starting O-linemen
-1 or 2 real CBs (no more of this 5th and 6th round crap)
-a FS
-the big WR that we keep not getting
-an impact UT

Oh, and a new coach/scheme. Lovie has made at least one significantly stupid decision in all three games so far.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Why don't you like Austin?

6'3" 310 lbs, scheme diverse, disruptive, non stop motor DT. He would be a great fit for this defense & coach Rod.

I definitely thinking we are picking in the 20s.

1 - Marvin Austin - DT - UNC
2 - Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma
3 - Chris Culliver - CB - South Carolina

regoob2
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM

6'3" 310 lbs, scheme diverse, disruptive, non stop motor DT. He would be a great fit for this defense & coach Rod.

He's a pure 4-3 UT in my book. Inconsistent. Doesn't play the run real well. It's very productive on a D that should help him produce. I don't think he's a first rounder. Very similar to Marcus Harrison. Lots of talent put isn't producing.

BeerBaron
09-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Why do we want another small receiver who is basically a clone of what we already have. The only way I'd want a WR is to finally get a true #1 with good size. Give Cutler his Brandon Marshall type.

And if we go the first 3 rounds of the draft without taking a single offensive lineman, I'll be marching on Halas hall with my torch and pitchfork.

Gay Ork Wang
10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
you still want a WR?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Too bad Castanzo and Solder are this years Chris Williams. Too finesse, not strong enough. So my answer is Gabe Carimi even though his cieling isnt as high as the others, he can atleast play sooner and more effectively.

Then for the obvious Marshall type, Greg Little. Their games are nearly identical. Then whatever.

Monomach
10-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Linemen Linemen Linemen

Omg Linemen

Mr. X
10-03-2010, 09:35 PM
To be honest, if we don't have a new GM/HC then I don't give a **** who we draft.

In terms of positions of need it would be something like:
LT
NT
RT
G
CB
S
WR

dabears10
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Can we get Marcus McNeil? And then draft an O-Lineman?

BeerBaron
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Can we get Marcus McNeil? And then draft an O-Lineman?

They wanted two 2nds for a WR one DUI away from a year suspension....for a decent LT, they'll want a first, a third and every coach's first born child.

Monomach
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Can we draft Chucky Gruden?

regoob2
10-04-2010, 11:00 AM
you still want a WR?
I do. A WR that can beat 1 on 1 coverage and make a play on the ball is definitely needed.

sweetness34
10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
I do. A WR that can beat 1 on 1 coverage and make a play on the ball is definitely needed.

Our receivers are good enough that with time to get into their routes Cutler can find them. Right now;

OL priority >>>>>>> WR priority

BeerBaron
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Our receivers are good enough that with time to get into their routes Cutler can find them. Right now;

Agreed totally. I think the only exception would be if one of the big 4 falls to us in the latter half of the first round and there aren't any o-lineman worth the pick.

But in that case, we'd better damn well come away with two o-lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds....

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
The best part about this is the OT class is very weak.

We will probably take a 2nd round prospect at #20.

BeerBaron
10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
The best part about this is the OT class is very weak.

We will probably take a 2nd round prospect at #20.

I have this bad feeling that JA won't give up on Chris Williams or especially Omiyele yet. But I'd gladly take help at G or C and then hope like hell that Adam Webb takes the RT spot.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah thats what Im thinkin. But we could get lucky in that teams wont pick any early because its a weak class then the top guy falls to us. But we are so not going LT in the first, cmon. Even though its our biggest need we arent scrappin CW.

Itll be a WR or a DT.

MidwayMonster31
10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
The OT class is weak in the sense that there's no star power/ franchise blindside protector. There should be enough guys who can play right tackle. The interior line is very strong, especially if Wisnewski and Brewster declare. The problem I see is if Angelo is still around, he's not going to pull the trigger, instead he will try and sign someone who rode the bench somewhere else.

regoob2
10-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Totally agree. A go-to #1 WR is still a big need.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Like oh, Idk, Randy Moss? If he ends up going to Minne for anything less than a 2nd, Ill puke in a rubber glove and send it to JA.

Gay Ork Wang
10-06-2010, 06:49 AM
i dont want Moss

BeerBaron
10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
i dont want Moss

Same. I don't think he would have been able to learn this offense quickly enough to have been useful this year.

Although it sucks that he's back in the division....

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, youre right guys. Dodged a huge bullet there...

Monomach
10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
So we have to play Moss twice this year. That's going to leave a mark.

Wavy77
10-08-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't like the first round offensive linemen in this draft, and therefore I'd prefer to go that route in the second or third round.

In the first I like Stephen Paea. Strong DT with a high motor...not a fantastic pass rusher, but everything else is pretty much in place. Tommie Harris won't be there next year, and even though Anthony Adams and Matt Toeaina aren't too shabby they're not difference makers.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
just sign Matt Light and trade for McNeill?

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
just sign Matt Light and trade for McNeill?

Eh, Matt Light hasn't been great for a few years. And if we trade for someone, I'd go for Mankins first. Plug him in at LG, draft a new center with a top 3 round pick, and hope that Chris Williams improves with a pro bowl G next to him.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2010, 01:28 PM
i meant Mankins.

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 01:32 PM
i meant Mankins.

While totally unrealistic, that would be pretty sweet if we got Mankins and McNeil then used our highest remaining draft pick on a C.

We will not do that however. With our top 3 picks, we'll draft an undersized WR, a small school defensive lineman and an in the box SS then draft a late round, uber-raw developmental o-lineman.

I really want a new GM/coach. I'm just a little afraid we'll get some 3-4 loving guy in one of those spots and with so many teams going that way, the players needed to make it work won't be easily found and it'll be another 5 years of ****.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2010, 01:38 PM
we drafted 1 OL Player in with our 1-3 Rounders in the last 7 years.

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 01:39 PM
we drafted 1 OL Player in with our 1-3 Rounders in the last 7 years.

Make me GM for draft day and I'd probably go o-line with at least two of our first 3 picks.

Grab a RT like Love or Carimi or Castonzo in the first round, then a G/C in the 2nd or 3rd depending on where the value is at......sigh.

regoob2
10-08-2010, 06:27 PM
While totally unrealistic, that would be pretty sweet if we got Mankins and McNeil then used our highest remaining draft pick on a C.

We will not do that however. With our top 3 picks, we'll draft an undersized WR, a small school defensive lineman and an in the box SS then draft a late round, uber-raw developmental o-lineman.

I really want a new GM/coach. I'm just a little afraid we'll get some 3-4 loving guy in one of those spots and with so many teams going that way, the players needed to make it work won't be easily found and it'll be another 5 years of ****.
There's also that thing called a salary cap.

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 06:34 PM
There's also that thing called a salary cap.

Eh, we wouldn't be close yet. I saw an article earlier this year about where the teams would be if there were still a cap and the only teams really even close were the Cowboys and Redskins. Plus the Jets have thrown big money at 3 players now with David Harris yet to sign....

We wouldn't be as close as those teams yet.

regoob2
10-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Eh, we wouldn't be close yet. I saw an article earlier this year about where the teams would be if there were still a cap and the only teams really even close were the Cowboys and Redskins. Plus the Jets have thrown big money at 3 players now with David Harris yet to sign....

We wouldn't be as close as those teams yet.
Were not spending $100mil on 2 O linemen after we just spent $100mil this offseason.

regoob2
10-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Man I want to see Drake Nevis in a Bears uni. This guy is legit. I really hope he is only 285 and scares other teams away with his lack of size. This guy in the 3rd would be fantastic.

Im gonna start the official Michael Floyd to Chicago bandwagon. I love this kid. He's my new #2 WR behind Green.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
We're back to being able to take almost any position. Which is...cool, I guess.

BeerBaron
10-17-2010, 03:54 PM
We're back to being able to take almost any position. Which is...cool, I guess.

It's cool if it's because you're a really awesome team and just need depth.....

When you can go anywhere because you need help everywhere....not so cool.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Its cool since JA cant whiff on a position! Just a player!

regoob2
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
1. Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
2. Nate Solder OT Colorado
3. Kristofer O’Dowd C USC
4. John Moffitt OG Wisconsin
5. Michael Morgan LB USC

BeerBaron
10-18-2010, 02:11 PM
5. Michael Morgan LB USC

Doesn't seem like a very JA style draft if he's still around. I can almost guarantee we take a d-lineman or two in there if he is.

regoob2
10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I really like what Melton is doing. His reps seem to be increasing every game.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
5. Michael Morgan LB USC

I think youll have to switch Solder and O'Dowd after All Star games and the Combine, but thats sexy.

MidwayMonster31
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Just not a fan of Solder, but other than that, excellent.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Neither am I, actually he reminds me of Lydon Murtha...but the 2nd round is comfortable for him.

BeerBaron
10-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Neither am I, actually he reminds me of Lydon Murtha...but the 2nd round is comfortable for him.

He reminds you of a 7th round pick from last year? Usually people compare prospects to slightly more well known players...

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-19-2010, 12:15 AM
He reminds you of a 7th round pick from last year? Usually people compare prospects to slightly more well known players...

So? They're a lot alike. Tall, super athletic (4.8 forty for each, I believe,) under developed body and technique, project LT. Should pass protect much better than his physical talent indicates, not much for run blocking.

BeerBaron
10-19-2010, 12:42 AM
So? They're a lot alike. Tall, super athletic (4.8 forty for each, I believe,) under developed body and technique, project LT. Should pass protect much better than his physical talent indicates, not much for run blocking.

I mean, I remembered Murtha, just seemed like an odd comparison. But to each his own.

I do agree that he's a project LT though. I've seen him projected as high as the first round or early 2nd, and it's a bit of a stretch to me. However, a weak class plus huge need at the position around the league could drive him up.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I dont want Duane Brown to happen to us (or Chris Williams, I guess.)

Monomach
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
The trade deadline is about 8 hours away. I really hope the Bears send our third round pick to Washington for Haynesworth and cut Tommie Harris (or trade him for a 6th rounder or whatever).

Fat Albert back in a 4-3 with Julius Peppers next to him? Yes, please. Just try blocking that.

Then we can stop considering DTs in our mocks.

regoob2
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM

I see a mix of Joe Staley and Jamarcus Webb. He has all-pro potential. Likely will never reach it. He's really inconsistent. Footwork will actually make you laugh at times it's so bad.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Sign Jared Gaither
1.Pouncey
2.Carimi
3.O'Dowd

Ohh..uh, uh..ahh..ohhhh...uhhhhhhhhhh... Cigarette?

BeerBaron
10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Sign Jared Gaither
1.Pouncey
2.Carimi
3.O'Dowd

Ohh..uh, uh..ahh..ohhhh...uhhhhhhhhhh... Cigarette?

Then you wake up from the dream and become very upset to realize we drafted a small school defensive lineman/linebacker, an in the box SS, and an undersized WR who is an exact clone of what we already have.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Hardy har har! That was last year, BB! Or was it the year before? Or the one before that...

But seriously, nope wait, here come the waterworks.

BeerBaron
10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Quickly, 2 picks away in the forum mock, already got us Marcus Cannon in the first round. Traded down in the 1st and 3rd with the Giants to pick up Kiwanuka as well. Who do we want? Brewster or Nevis?

regoob2
10-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Quickly, 2 picks away in the forum mock, already got us Marcus Cannon in the first round. Traded down in the 1st and 3rd with the Giants to pick up Kiwanuka as well. Who do we want? Brewster or Nevis?
Good picks so far.

BeerBaron
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Nevis if those are the 2 options.

I.....decided on Brewster. I figured it was better to err on the side of trying to improve the worst o-line I've ever personally witnessed in the sport of football.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Thats who Id go with. But I dont like you spoiling it :( I enjoy my mocks.

regoob2
10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I.....decided on Brewster. I figured it was better to err on the side of trying to improve the worst o-line I've ever personally witnessed in the sport of football.

At first I was thinking Brewer from Indiana. I thought you were crazy for a second there. Haha

BeerBaron
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Forum Mock update:

I traded down 9 picks in the 1st and 3rd rounds with the Giants to pick up Mathias Kiwanuka.

With the 31st pick, I took Marcus Cannon of TCU. I figure he can man one guard spot or RT...or maybe even LT. Who knows....the versatility helps us.

In the 2nd round, I took C Mike Brewster of Ohio State. Replaces Kreutz immediately and should help the shittiness of our o-line.

Then in the 3rd round, I traded Tommie Harris and my late 3rd to the Colts for their mid-3rd and took Drake Nevis. Fell due to his size and uselessness in a 3-4, should be great for us.

Would have liked to get a corner somewhere at some point....the o-line still needs more help......but I did what I could.

Any thoughts?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Other than being completely unrealistic, it was fine. Lots of trading...

Wait, who is our new GM? Didn't you say you had us hiring Chucky? Marginally more sense now.

BeerBaron
10-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Unrealistic trading happens in forum mocks...just something to deal with.

And I am the new GM. Muahahahah....muahahahah!!!!!

...and I feel like I'd probably do better than a number of actual ones...

Bearsfan123
10-26-2010, 12:56 AM
I cant fault you for getting almost no value for tommie, but still it hurts to see him plummet so far. I like what you've done there.

BeerBaron
10-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I cant fault you for getting almost no value for tommie, but still it hurts to see him plummet so far. I like what you've done there.

Yeah, he's a grossly overpaid rotational tackle at this point. Getting anything for him would be a miracle. He'll probably be cut because no one wants his salary in reality...

Monomach
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I was surprised someone took his salary AND let you move up in the third round.

BeerBaron
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I was surprised someone took his salary AND let you move up in the third round.

If we were to just cut him, I guarantee a bunch of teams try to pick him up to try to revive him. It'll be at a much lower salary though...

Monomach
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I started looking at mocks today. For most of them my response was "Meh. Ok. I guess." Unfortunately, we have so many needs that I can't get too worked up. Obviously, the dream is a stud on the O-line. However, if we use our first round pick on anything not on the below list, I'll be ok:

No small wideout.
No in-the-box strong safety.
No undersized corner.
No DE unless his name is "Adam Clayborn."
No weakside linebacker.
No halfback.
No tight end.
Obviously, no FB/P/K.

BeerBaron
10-30-2010, 04:43 PM
I assume you meant Adrian Clayborn...he would be nice. As would Robert Quinn. Either guy across from Peppers would be studly...wouldn't help out o-line, but we could make worse picks.

I'm hoping one of two things now: We turn things around and make the playoffs, or we suck really badly so that everyone gets fired. I don't want to see us lose, but if we must, I'd rather it be badly enough that we get some new ******* coaches and a new GM than to be mediocre yet again, miss the playoffs, and return with the same BS next year. Know what I mean?

regoob2
10-30-2010, 04:45 PM
It has to be WR or OL in the 1st.

Monomach
10-30-2010, 05:06 PM
It has to be WR or OL in the 1st.

FS, CB, UT are all needed just as much as that #1 WR.

I assume you meant Adrian Clayborn...he would be nice. As would Robert Quinn. Either guy across from Peppers would be studly...wouldn't help out o-line, but we could make worse picks.
Yeah, I meant Adrian. Durr. Not sure what the hell I was thinking there.

As for Quinn, I can't abide spending a first round pick on a guy who won't play a down this season...especially when it looks like we're headed for 6-10 and a top ten pick. Who knows how crappy he'll be by the time next season comes along? He looked incredible, but he could be Mike Williams'd.

regoob2
10-31-2010, 12:31 PM
FS, CB, UT are all needed just as much as that #1 WR.

Yeah, I meant Adrian. Durr. Not sure what the hell I was thinking there.

As for Quinn, I can't abide spending a first round pick on a guy who won't play a down this season...especially when it looks like we're headed for 6-10 and a top ten pick. Who knows how crappy he'll be by the time next season comes along? He looked incredible, but he could be Mike Williams'd.
You cant compare a FS and CB in a zone D to a #1 WR.

BeerBaron
10-31-2010, 12:36 PM
You cant compare a FS and CB in a zone D to a #1 WR.

Problem is, Floyd, Baldwin and Jones all have flaws to their game that have me turned off to them more in the mid first round. And we've already won too many games to be in contention for AJ Green.

And we don't really need to worry about S....none have a real first round value imo. Now if we had a shot at say, an Amukamara with no worthwhile o-lineman available, he'd be damn hard to pass on.

MidwayMonster31
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
It will be interesting to see if Nick Fairley keeps rising. He looks like everything Tommie Harris used to be and will really help out in the pass rush and against the run.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I would think Fairley and Amukamara are virtual locks if either one is on the board for us. I wish they played offensive line and receiver but they are seemingly 2 of the more "cant miss" players this year.

Anyone think Mike Pouncey (as a guard) has 1st round value for us? I dont want an OK tackle in the 14-20 range only because the importance of that position. Not again, at least.

BeerBaron
11-08-2010, 08:55 PM
The only o-lineman I'd take in the 14-20 range right now is Sherrod. If he works out well, due to the lack of any other real competition as true LTs, he could go higher than that.

Pouncey doesn't even look like a first round value. He makes for a rather lousy center and isn't as good as his brother. Probably a 2nd round G.

Bearsfan123
11-09-2010, 06:10 PM
1st rd: Anthony Castonzo OT BC
2nd rd: Kristofer O'Dowd C USC
3rd rd: Jalil Brown CB Colorado
4th rd: Stanley Havili FB USC

BeerBaron
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Nay to Castonzo...not a fan. I watched him vs. VT and he got owned by Steven Friday. Not only with speed moves (Castonzo looked like he had lead feet that game) but also by just driving him back too. I think I'd prefer Love, Carimi or Cannon to him. Sherrod as a true LT is also a possibility, but I think he'll end up going very high with good workouts as the only legit looking LT prospect.

bearfan
11-10-2010, 11:29 AM
As much as OL is a need, I would love grabbing a #1 reciever in the draft. It is deep enough at the position where we may be able to nab a talented guy wherever we are picking. Especially with how weak the OL this up coming draft. The other positions I wouldn't mind seeing in the 1st are at DE/DT or CB depending on the value.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Michael Floyd and injuries or Jonathon Baldwin and route running? I say Floyd right now since his injuries aren't terrible repeated season enders like say Denario Alexanders.

regoob2
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Michael Floyd and injuries or Jonathon Baldwin and route running? I say Floyd right now since his injuries aren't terrible repeated season enders like say Denario Alexanders.

Floyd. Just a flat out better player IMO.

My thinking now is Marcus Cannon. Would we take a OG over a potential #1 WR. I don't think any OT is worth even a late 1st. I'm liking Carimi more and more though. He's a no brainer in the 2nd. Also I like Tolliver in the mid rounds if we don't go WR early.

BeerBaron
11-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Floyd. Just a flat out better player IMO.

My thinking now is Marcus Cannon. Would we take a OG over a potential #1 WR. I don't think any OT is worth even a late 1st. I'm liking Carimi more and more though. He's a no brainer in the 2nd. Also I like Tolliver in the mid rounds if we don't go WR early.

Sherrod at LT is going to be a top 15 type of player. He's the only guy I see playing and succeeding long term at LT in the pros, and the lack of anyone elite at the position will push him up.

Love should also be a late first rounder based on versatility (LT, RT and RG all in the same game before iirc, definitely both tackles spots.) Someone we could really use, like Cannon, for versatility sake.

Carimi as a pretty standard RT I think is a late first rounder.

regoob2
11-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Scott is posting his new mock today. What is everyones guess?

Im going with Derek Sherrod.

BeerBaron
11-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Scott is posting his new mock today. What is everyones guess?

Im going with Derek Sherrod.

I hope so. Reiff would be fine as well if Scott decides to include him. Not a big fan of Castonzo myself, I've seen him get beat by speed moves too much for me like him at LT, and I think there are better options for a RT.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Floyd-1st
O'Dowd-2nd
Herzlich-3rd
Ziemba-4th
Marecic-5th

Thoughts?

regoob2
11-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Floyd-1st
O'Dowd-2nd
Herzlich-3rd
Ziemba-4th
Marecic-5th

Thoughts?

Would love Floyd. Early for ODowd. Not a fan of Herzlich or Ziemba.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I kind of trend lightly on Floyd. He doesn't burst out of breaks and is very much straight line. His hands are for real though.

I would rather go for an impact OL/DL.

regoob2
11-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I couldn't even see going DL in the 1st. LT/C/RG/RT/WR are all much bigger needs and there will likely be a solid value available.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-28-2010, 07:01 PM
You're not a fan of Mark Herzlich? Luuucyy? You got some splainin' to do!

I think O'Dowd will get a big push after predraft workouts. I know he's looked at as a 3rd round guy now but I can definitely see him moving up. And Ziemba isn't perfect but he's better than Webb and no worse than Omiyale :/

Marecic needs to happen though.

regoob2
11-28-2010, 11:33 PM
You're not a fan of Mark Herzlich? Luuucyy? You got some splainin' to do!

I think O'Dowd will get a big push after predraft workouts. I know he's looked at as a 3rd round guy now but I can definitely see him moving up. And Ziemba isn't perfect but he's better than Webb and no worse than Omiyale :/

Marecic needs to happen though.
I think he's a pure 3-4 guy. He's always looked very stiff. I think he's a pure 3-4 ILB or SLB. Even though he plays a lot in coverage and does well on the college level he'll get eaten up in the pros. He's a poor mans Aaron Curry.

1. Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
2. Jason Pinkston OG/RT Pittsburgh
3. Marcus Gilbert RT/OG Florida
4. Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
5. Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia
6. Michael Morgan LB USC

ChiFan24
11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
R1: Julio Jones WR Alabama
R2: Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
R3: Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia
R4: Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh

That's my ideal scenario. R3 and 4 are high risk, but I think they are both steals in those rounds.

sweetness34
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
I know value is a huge deal with early picks, but we really, really need some OL help. It blows that the OL class this year is lacking (on paper), but in this instance I wouldn't mind "reaching" on an offensive lineman if one is available. Maybe post-combine the OL prospects will start climbing up draft boards.

I still firmly believe that our receiving core is good enough if they have some time to get into their routes and find open spaces. Yeah, a big #1 receiver would be nice to have, but it starts and ends with the offensive line.

Also, Forte/Taylor are good enough that with some holes they can be damn good backs. There aren't a lot of RB's in this league that can create holes for themselves on a consistent basis.

It would be nice for Jay to have a safety blanket target like he did in Denver with Marshall, but it would be nicer if we solidified the trenches. With time he has proven he can shred defenses through the air and our receivers are dangerous in the open field.

dabears10
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
I know value is a huge deal with early picks, but we really, really need some OL help. It blows that the OL class this year is lacking (on paper), but in this instance I wouldn't mind "reaching" on an offensive lineman if one is available. Maybe post-combine the OL prospects will start climbing up draft boards.

I still firmly believe that our receiving core is good enough if they have some time to get into their routes and find open spaces. Yeah, a big #1 receiver would be nice to have, but it starts and ends with the offensive line.

Also, Forte/Taylor are good enough that with some holes they can be damn good backs. There aren't a lot of RB's in this league that can create holes for themselves on a consistent basis.

It would be nice for Jay to have a safety blanket target like he did in Denver with Marshall, but it would be nicer if we solidified the trenches. With time he has proven he can shred defenses through the air and our receivers are dangerous in the open field.

I think we have seen that when the Bears can run the ball they are successful. Bennett and Olsen are good enough 'security blankets' and the rest of the guys can create a little bit after the catch. It is O-Line, D-Line, and CB

sweetness34
11-29-2010, 08:15 PM
I think we have seen that when the Bears can run the ball they are successful. Bennett and Olsen are good enough 'security blankets' and the rest of the guys can create a little bit after the catch. It is O-Line, D-Line, and CB

Eh, the running game still isn't where it needs to be. Take away a couple big runs and it was mediocre for the most part. I know big runs are a huge part of the game, but Forte/Taylor were still getting hit in the backfield waaayyy too often and the holes were few and far between. Our run game can certainly get better.

I think both of Forte's big runs were his natural ability coming through more than anything. He'd be a factor back with consistent blocking.

Win the battle at the line and you give yourself a good chance of winning every week. Give Jay time in the pocket and a solid run game and he'd be scary good.

Kruetz is done. Garza doesn't have much left. Williams is not a true guard and I don't rust Webb as a long term answer right now. They have improved as a unit, but they are by far the weak link on this team.

The defense is fine. Yeah, there are some holes, but they are currently a top tier defense and none of our players' play will drop off significantly next season.

I'll agree with you though in that Martz's recent focus on running the ball is making a huge difference. We've become a ball control offense and with our personnel that is the right system.

dabears10
11-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Eh, the running game still isn't where it needs to be. Take away a couple big runs and it was mediocre for the most part. I know big runs are a huge part of the game, but Forte/Taylor were still getting hit in the backfield waaayyy too often and the holes were few and far between. Our run game can certainly get better.

Oh I agree. I think the run game is still bad. That is why O-Line is number one need in my mind. Wide Receiver is way down on my list of needs.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-30-2010, 12:30 AM
1. DeCastro
2. Carimi
3. Herzlich
4. Little
5. Kowalski

mmmmmmm

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Round 1: Derek Sherrod - OT - Mississippi State
Round 2: Marvin Austin - DT - UNC
Round 3: Tyron Smith - OT - USC
Round 4: Will Hill - DB - Florida
Round 5: Randall Cobb - WR - Kentucky

BeerBaron
11-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Austin isn't worth a 2nd rounder anymore. If Smith declares, he'll be gone by the early 2nd round.

In my mock I just posted, I had us going:

1 - Sherrod
2 - Pouncey
3 - Fua

Totally unrealistic because JA doesn't seem to use common sense or logic when drafting, and I fully expect to be pissed off by at least one of our first 3 picks, but I'd kill for us to draft the 3 guys I just put there.

regoob2
11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't like Will Hill at all. I don't see him as a starter. Also don't see safety as a need at all with how well Manning is played and I expect big things from Wright. Austin in the 3rd is a maybe for me. Can't take him earlier.

I live in FL and watch every FL game. Most of them multiple times since they replay them often. Pounder and Hill are very overrated. This is not the Pouncey we want. His balance is not there. Misses blocks a lot and isn't the mauler he's made out to be. His best fit is in a ZBS. He profiles as a starter at OG to me but nothing special. I could see him in the 2nd but there are several players I have rated higher that could/should be there.

Marcus Gilbert is a good looking player though. He looks like he could be a solid starting RT. Would have good strength and athleticism for a RT.

Monomach
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Also don't see safety as a need at all with how well Manning is played and I expect big things from Wright.
I see it as a need. Wright and Manning are only fit to play SS...same as every safety on our roster. Also, I'm curious as to why you expect big things from Wright. From what I've seen, he has issues in coverage, and Pro Football Focus agrees with me. So far, Major Wright has shown exactly nothing, and he wasn't good enough in college to bring about big expectations. To tell you the truth, I think we re-sign Manning and Wright stays buried on the depth chart behind him for forever.

But anyway...Will Hill has no reason to come out. It's not like he's going to be drafted high enough to get paid if he does.

My first three rounds:
Riley Reiff, LT, Iowa
Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State

BeerBaron
12-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Eesh...Scott gave us Solder with Sherrod still on the board. I'd be fuming on draft day if that's how it went.

Solder is just too raw, and we could use a guy who could step in right away and play well. And in his write up for Sherrod (taken by the Falcons several picks later,) he writes: "...but few, if any, offer the total package of Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod. An outstanding all-around player with everything you look for at the position...."

DO WANT!

Monomach
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Eesh...Scott gave us Solder with Sherrod still on the board. I'd be fuming on draft day if that's how it went.

Solder is just too raw, and we could use a guy who could step in right away and play well. And in his write up for Sherrod (taken by the Falcons several picks later,) he writes: "...but few, if any, offer the total package of Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod. An outstanding all-around player with everything you look for at the position...."

DO WANT!

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher. Sherrod is definitely better than Solder.

BeerBaron
12-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that was a head-scratcher. Sherrod is definitely better than Solder.

In the discussion he compared Sherrod to Chris Williams.....ewwwwww. I caught Sherrod playing against Arkansas and he was dominant in his run blocking, way more powerful than I've ever seen Williams be. So I'm hoping that isn't the case and we pick him up.

MidwayMonster31
12-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Sherrod is more aggressive than Williams ever was. I think the comparison is based on how both of them play with good technique instead of raw strength. Williams at least looks like he's getting better.

BeerBaron
12-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Sherrod is more aggressive than Williams ever was. I think the comparison is based on how both of them play with good technique instead of raw strength. Williams at least looks like he's getting better.

The image of Williams getting pushed into the backfield by Haynesworth like a bull goring a matador will be the first thing I think of when I think of Chris Williams a guard anymore.....that was pitiful.

Gay Ork Wang
12-03-2010, 02:01 PM
he does make for a great pulling guard. he is certainly 100x times better than omiyale

regoob2
12-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I've liked what I saw from Williams at LG. Haynesworth made him look bad but he does that to pro bowl OGs. Williams moving to LG has made our OL better. I'd be happy if we kept him there.

I dont think Id prefer the Solder pick but I'm ok with passing on Sherrod. He's not a cant miss player. He's a good not great OT prospect. Solder has some monster upside. He's a freak athlete. Even a better athlete then Bruce Campbell was last year.

Im still hoping for a big time WR if one falls to us. This is a really deep class for OL. We can pick up an O-linemen or 2 in rounds 2-4 with starting potential.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Granted, I haven't seen a ton of Solder, but I would be against drafting him, especially with Sherrod on the board. I don't think a left side of Solder/Williams works in the long run for a team that wants to run the ball.

I wish their was a center as good as Maurkice Pouncey in this draft. It would be nice to just grab a guy like that and plug him in at RG/C.

I've heard mixed opinions on Stephen Wisniewski, but if he grades out as a mid-late first rounder, I'd have no objections to taking him there and plugging him in right away.

I've seen Rodney Hudson's value all over the place as well. I think he's a second rounder.

Few scenarios:

1) Stephen Wisniewski - C/G - Penn State
2) Rodney Hudson - G - Florida State

LT - Frank Omiyale
LG - Chris Williams
C - Stephen Wisniewski
RG - Rodney Hudson
RT - JaMarcus Webb

1) Stephen Wisniewski - C/G - Penn State
2) DeMarcus Love - T - Arkansas

LT - Frank Omiyale
LG - Chris Williams
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - Stephen Wisniewski
RT - DeMarcus Love

1) Derrek Sherrod - T - Miss State
2) Rodney Hudson - G/C - Florida State

LT - Derrek Sherrod
LG - Chris Williams
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - Rodney Hudson
RT - Frank Omiyale

BeerBaron
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
If Hudson actually checks in as listed (or worse) 6'2 280...then I'll pass.

Wouldn't actually mind your 2nd scenario of Wis in the first and Love in the 2nd....that would really help improve our line I think.

And I'll take Sherrod all day any day wherever we can get him. Comparisons to Chris Williams be damned...I watched him play a great game vs. Arkansas where he played physical in the run game and was solid in pass blocking.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
It would be really nice if there were an Alex Mack / Maurkice Pouncey in this draft.

Sucks.

BeerBaron
12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
It would be really nice if there were an Alex Mack / Maurkice Pouncey in this draft.

Sucks.

O'Dowd might be the closest to one of those types, but his injury history isn't exactly clean. I'd definitely take him in the late 2nd round though.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
O'Dowd might be the closest to one of those types, but his injury history isn't exactly clean. I'd definitely take him in the late 2nd round though.

Yeah, I like O'Dowd as well as Tyron Smith who is a steal if he comes out.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-06-2010, 07:26 PM

DO WANT!

Yeah, its like Scott included the JA Factor in his mocking formula.

Solders problems are obvious but I'm not impressed with Sherrod like you are. I'm not disappointed either, its just, idk. You like him because hes serviceable in all areas with a flash now and then, which would be awesome for us especially in a 1st round pick. But that same reason is why I'm not sold on him. I want a guy who is great at at least one thing and serviceable in all the others.

So, at tackle, I'm feeling a Carimi pick more and more for his awesome run blocking and ok-to-solid pass pro. RT in the first? Maybe, or maybe he just has to be better than Omiyale at LT :/

BeerBaron
12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah, its like Scott included the JA Factor in his mocking formula.

Solders problems are obvious but I'm not impressed with Sherrod like you are. I'm not disappointed either, its just, idk. You like him because hes serviceable in all areas with a flash now and then, which would be awesome for us especially in a 1st round pick. But that same reason is why I'm not sold on him. I want a guy who is great at at least one thing and serviceable in all the others.

So, at tackle, I'm feeling a Carimi pick more and more for his awesome run blocking and ok-to-solid pass pro. RT in the first? Maybe, or maybe he just has to be better than Omiyale at LT :/

It's really hard for us to go wrong as long as we end up with a long term starter somewhere on the o-line. Knowing JA, we won't even take an OL in the first, but this is a good year to find guys who can start right away in the 2nd/3rd rounds along the o-line.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Tyron Smith declared.

I am on board..

BeerBaron
12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Tyron Smith declared.

I am on board..

I think he'll be overdrafted based on the ridiculous workouts I expect him to put up.

He's undersized at 285 and might need a year in a pro workout program to be physically prepared....and he's also only played RT. That's not to say he can't play LT, but I would have liked to see him actually do it.

regoob2
12-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I really liked that interview with Sherrod. I'm not as high on him as some but he's a good looking player and can start at either LT or RT. I'd be happy if he was our 1st round pick.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Same here. I don't love him but he's certainly winning me over. I'd have zero problems with Sherrod first.

regoob2
12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Could play either LT or RT for us. I prefer him as a LT.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-20-2010, 11:57 PM
This morning I was so on board with Floyd but after tonights win, Earls last couple games playing like a lot of us hoped he would, Johnnys big catch, Devins TD, Rashieds TD for goodness sake...I think we can put that big physical WR need down a rung. But Lord have mercy on our run game. Woof.

DeCastro, Sherrod/Carimi, or Cannon in the first is a must.

BeerBaron
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
This morning I was so on board with Floyd but after tonights win, Earls last couple games playing like a lot of us hoped he would, Johnnys big catch, Devins TD, Rashieds TD for goodness sake...I think we can put that big physical WR need down a rung. But Lord have mercy on our run game. Woof.

Leonard Hankerson in the 2nd after taking any o-lineman in the first is my current ideal.

dabears10
12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
When do the bears need to think about drafting a replacement MLB?

Urlacher has been one of the big keys to the defense. Peppers is locked up, Idonje seems suitable, our DT rotation seems solid. I am worried that only a year or two more will be there for Urlacher.

BeerBaron
12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Urlacher has been one of the big keys to the defense. Peppers is locked up, Idonje seems suitable, our DT rotation seems solid. I am worried that only a year or two more will be there for Urlacher.

If we look for an athletic youngster in the 4th/5th round to develop, I'd settle for that this year.

Assuming it's a guy we actually keep for more than a year....because we've been cutting drafted linebackers left and right it seems.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Cutting or trading at least. Alex Wujciak, Casey Mathews, or Mark Herzlich all fit. Ive said before Herzy would be so awesome I wouldn't mind taking him before more pressing needs. Reminds me of a more athletic Ben Leber.

And it would be cool not to draft a 6'0 230lb. WLB again...

wonderbredd24
12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
So in the December Forum Mock, I was given control of the Bears. Here is the thread:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44427

And this is the draft I went with...

25. Nate Solder, OT Colorado
57. Ben Ijalana, OT Villanova
89. Leonard Hankerson, WR Miami
121. Corey Liuget, DT Illinois
153. Brandon Boykin, CB Georgia

Obviously attacked the OLine with the 1st two picks, added a receiver with some size in Hankerson in the 3rd, and then went and brought in a UT and CB with crazy physical ability and a lot of potential.

Have at it...

BeerBaron
12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
So in the December Forum Mock, I was given control of the Bears. Here is the thread:

Obviously attacked the OLine with the 1st two picks, added a receiver with some size in Hankerson in the 3rd, and then went and brought in a UT and CB with crazy physical ability and a lot of potential.

Have at it...

I'm very upset that I missed it this time around after practically running the last one...

Anywho, I'm not a big Solder guy, but it is a position of need and I've looked at who was available, and there weren't many better options. So I'd be ok with it there.

Ijalana is solid.

Hankerson in the 3rd is where you win major points. Did everyone else forget about him? He has no business going outside of the 2nd round....steal at that point and exactly the type of WR I'd love to add.

The others...depth players at positions where we could use some depth. Solid overall effort.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah I wouldn't have much problem even switching our 2nd and 3rds to be honest. 1st pick would sting a little though.

pellepelle_10
12-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Just curious what you guys think about OT Joseph Barksdale out of LSU. I've heard several reviews calling this guy underrated and sleeper. Not many major sites have even mentioned him but the ones that do continue to say this guy is underrated. What I hear about him is very good. Anybody have any opinions on him. He sounds very interesting as a possible late 1st or 2nd round selection.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Just curious what you guys think about OT Joseph Barksdale out of LSU. I've heard several reviews calling this guy underrated and sleeper. Not many major sites have even mentioned him but the ones that do continue to say this guy is underrated. What I hear about him is very good. Anybody have any opinions on him. He sounds very interesting as a possible late 1st or 2nd round selection.

I am in the minority here, but I don't even think he's as good as Ciron Block was last year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Have at it...

Really good, but obviously not realistic.

Liuget is going back to Illinois and will be a first rounder next season.

regoob2
12-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Dont forget Knox's big drop. ;) I dont want us to reach for a WR. There should be an O linemen worth the pick in the 1st and thats a bigger need. WR in the 2nd though should definitely be an option. Should be some good looking guys there.

I would just worry about it in a year or 2. I hope we resign Pisa. He can play MLB.

Monomach
12-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I would just worry about it in a year or 2. I hope we resign Pisa. He can play MLB.

Pisa can't play anything. The guy is never healthy.

Anyway, best Bears mock ever: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44525

Unrealistic, I think, but amazing.

BeerBaron
12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Pisa can't play anything. The guy is never healthy.

Anyway, best Bears mock ever: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44525

Unrealistic, I think, but amazing.

Our 3rd rounder changed since I commented on it....don't remember who was there though. Meh to Hightower, but that would still be a great round 1 and 2.

shady00
12-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Danny Watkins, OT/G from Baylor interests me a lot. Strong blocker with long arms who could help bolster our interior.

Marcus Cannon is another OL the Bears could use. A huge blocker who's having a great year for TCU.

I'd like to trade down and get both of them.

At wideout, I love Titus Young out of Boise State. A speedy, reliable deep threat who just screams Mike Wallace to me. Him and Knox could burn secondaries together.

Monomach
12-30-2010, 08:50 AM
So, with who I think there's a chance to be left when we pick in the first, this would be my draft board:

1. Derek Sherrod, LT/RT, Mississippi State
2. Gabe Carimi, RT, Wisconsin
3. Anthony Castonzo, LT, Boston College
4. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
5. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
6. DeMarcus Love, OG/RT, Arkansas
7. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
8. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
9. Try to trade down (I see a hell of a lot of value in the second round)
10. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
11. Nate Solder, LT, Colorado
12. Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG, Penn State

Obviously, things may change after the combine, but that's where it sits right now.

Monomach
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Oh, and someone needs to be knocking on Logan Mankins' door at 12:01 on the first day of free agency.

regoob2
12-30-2010, 09:52 AM
So, with who I think there's a chance to be left when we pick in the first, this would be my draft board:

1. Derek Sherrod, LT/RT, Mississippi State
2. Gabe Carimi, RT, Wisconsin
3. Anthony Castonzo, LT, Boston College
4. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
5. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
6. DeMarcus Love, OG/RT, Arkansas
7. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
8. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
9. Try to trade down (I see a hell of a lot of value in the second round)
10. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
11. Nate Solder, LT, Colorado
12. Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG, Penn State

Obviously, things may change after the combine, but that's where it sits right now.

#1 to me would be trade down. I like a lot of the 2nd and 3rd round guys.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
If Liuget comes out he makes great scheme sense and should be projected as a later first. I like him better than Drake Nevis..

BeerBaron
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
If Liuget comes out he makes great scheme sense and should be projected as a later first. I like him better than Drake Nevis..

Says the Illini homer, lol

I'm not disagreeing, I've seen less of Liuget than I have of Nevis, but I love me some Nevis. If we have to take him in the first to get him, I'd support it.

CameronCropper
12-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I still haven't come to terms with the fact we'll have a first round pick for the first time since 2008.

Hopefully this means Bears fans won't start measuring our third round picks for their Hall of Fame jacket during the offseason anymore.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Says the Illini homer, lol

I'm not disagreeing, I've seen less of Liuget than I have of Nevis, but I love me some Nevis. If we have to take him in the first to get him, I'd support it.

I like Nevis as well, but I like Liuget a bit more. Liuget is a bigger, more explosive, and the better athlete. He returned kickoffs in high school at 260+ lbs to put his athleticism in perspective.

Liuget is going to really start to rise. Rumor around town is he's coming out.

I'd love to see a DT who could really be a menace inside next to Peppers. Like a prime Tommie Harris and Peppers on the same DL? That would have been fun to watch.

BeerBaron
12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I like Nevis as well, but I like Liuget a bit more. Liuget is a bigger, more explosive, and the better athlete. He returned kickoffs in high school at 260+ lbs to put his athleticism in perspective.

Liuget is going to really start to rise. Rumor around town is he's coming out.

I'd love to see a DT who could really be a menace inside next to Peppers. Like a prime Tommie Harris and Peppers on the same DL? That would have been fun to watch.

Well, if he comes out and grades well, it gives us two options I'd be happy with at DT.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, if he comes out and grades well, it gives us two options I'd be happy with at DT.

I like Bailey as well. I'd take any of them. I think there is 3 options in our range at DT.

Not to mention one of the WR's that's going to fall & the OL..

regoob2
01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Just watched the Mississippi State vs Michigan game. Sherrod definitely did not play like a top 15 pick. Guys getting a bit overrated. Not saying he's a bad player but the fringe 1st/early 2nd is a good grade for him.

dabears10
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I want Korey Lindsay in round 5.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Aldon Smith declares.

Another DE in the pool.

regoob2
01-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Aldon Smith declares.

Another DE in the pool.
For us or in general?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
For us or in general?

He got a 1st round grade from the draft committee. They don't often throw out those grades.

I would absolutely take him by the looks of where we will be picking.

But I was speaking more in general. Another really good prospect declares. This is a good thing for us.

regoob2
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
He got a 1st round grade from the draft committee. They don't often throw out those grades.

I would absolutely take him by the looks of where we will be picking.

But I was speaking more in general. Another really good prospect declares. This is a good thing for us.He's going to have to bulk up to play 3-4 OLB. We seem to be high on king sized DEs. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Maybin.

Bearsfan123
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM
1st rd: Jonathan Baldwin WR Pitt
2nd rd: Demarcus Love OT Ark.
3rd rd: Marvin Austin DT NC
4th rd: Shareece Wright CB USC

Or

Trade 1st, 3rd, J Knox, and next years second for Larry Fitz ^_^ i know unrealistic but a guy can hope right?

BeerBaron
01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd be angry with Baldwin in the first. He's a project who will take some work.....I'll pass.

Love in the 2nd would be good.

Austin isn't worth a 3rd round...I don't get all the fascination with him...is it still his high school hype? He didn't look very good while playing at UNC, and now with the year off....later rounder at best. He'd have to work out real well to rise higher than that in my book.

regoob2
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I'd be angry with Baldwin in the first. He's a project who will take some work.....I'll pass.

Love in the 2nd would be good.

Austin isn't worth a 3rd round...I don't get all the fascination with him...is it still his high school hype? He didn't look very good while playing at UNC, and now with the year off....later rounder at best. He'd have to work out real well to rise higher than that in my book.
Baldwin isnt really a project. He's a good all around player who comes from a pro style system. He also had a very productive college career. Its not his fault he played with a garbage QB in a run 1st O. If he falls to us Id be all over him.

regoob2
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
1st rd: Jonathan Baldwin WR Pitt
2nd rd: Demarcus Love OT Ark.
3rd rd: Marvin Austin DT NC
4th rd: Shareece Wright CB USC

Or

Trade 1st, 3rd, J Knox, and next years second for Larry Fitz ^_^ i know unrealistic but a guy can hope right?
I dont think it would even take that much to get Fitz. A 1st and 2nd should do it.

BeerBaron
01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Baldwin isnt really a project. He's a good all around player who comes from a pro style system. He also had a very productive college career. Its not his fault he played with a garbage QB in a run 1st O. If he falls to us Id be all over him.

He struggles to get separation and has already shown some diva-like behavior throwing his team under the bus after declaring.

Even if they seem like they can barely speak English sometimes during interviews, I'd rather have personalities like Knox and Hester.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
He struggles to get separation and has already shown some diva-like behavior throwing his team under the bus after declaring.

Even if they seem like they can barely speak English sometimes during interviews, I'd rather have personalities like Knox and Hester.

I've been on record for months saying he was the most overrated prospect in this class.

If you want the straight line one trick pony - you take Floyd out of Notre Dame who doesn't come with even half the baggage.

Baldwin is no scholar himself when he speaks. I would stay far away from this one.

However, he is talented and will get picked in the 2nd round.

Bearsfan123
01-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Really Regoob? If that's possible I'd be all over it. Fitz is a superstar WR that would help Cutler out immensely. If they wanted both picks in the same year i'd say no but would counter offer with a 1st and 6th (or 5th) this year and a second next year.

Btw, we all know we need to fix the O-line but what's everybody's take on what we should be addressing beyond that?

My list goes like this, 1: OG/C 2:OT 3:CB 4:DT 5:FB 6:WR 7:OLB 8:TE 9:DE 10:S
My list is based off of our long term talent depth, compared with immediate need. So basically is their a working starter there and will he be here in two years.

OG/C: Kreutz and Garza are at the end of their ropes. Both are aged veterans who due more to craftiness have held it together this year. Chris Williams is sub par but will most likely be given a year or two more to prove he can handle the position. This is both an immediate need and a talent deficient spot.

OT: Jay Cutler needs to be protected and the current group is not getting it done. I'd like to see Webb get a season more before I slam the door shut on him, but an upgrade at LT is in dire need. This spot is terribly deficient in long term talent. Immediate need is there, but not as pressing as G/C is.

CB: Tillman is **** in coverage, and although Tim Jennings played well for us, I dunno if he's our answer at corner. DJ Moore has played well at the nickel position though, so props to him. i hope Tillman would come back as a special coach to teach that punch out move of his, that is his one excellent trait. Here is a place where I believe we again have immediate need, and a need in long term talent.

DT: Both our starters performed admirably. Who were they again? These guys are not pass rushers and I understand that, but we need to find some talented motivated guys to collapse the pocket from the inside. I once thought Marcus Harrison could be that guy but he hasn't shown up in awhile. I admit that Henry Melton makes for an excellent situational pass rusher though.

FB: We don't have one on the roster, and I dunno where to find the stat, but I think I remember hearing that Forte had like another yard per carry when he ran behind a full back. Yes please. But as for a breakdown, we have a poor run blocking offensive line, and I think adding a guy who can just blast guys out of the hole would really help our running game.

WR: We have long term talent and we have decent starters, so why is it on this list? No number 1. I like Knox, and it is within the realm of possibility that he becomes that "guy" but I'm not holding my breath. We do not have a talent who on a poor throw goes up and gets the ball. So what we are looking for here is just a talent. A guy who is that go to guy.

OLB: Not Briggs! Pisa is a good linebacker, and Roach filled in admirably, but we still have no one for the strong side once Pisa is done in a year or two. Roach looked pretty good, but not on Pisa's level, let alone Brigg's or Urlachers. So it is time to look for the heir apparent on the SLB side.

TE: I do not like Greg Olsen's bad blocking, but okay. Kellen Davis is super athletic so I expect to start seeing him more next year. All we need is a third guy who is balanced, a good blocker and solid receiver. Manu-whatever isn't cutting it and Dez is long in the tooth.

DE: Some will argue this needs to be higher, but I am high on this group. I think Izzy does a really good job, but I am really high on Corey Wooten. He is learning from Peppers and I think will be a great player one day. Plus it just tickles me that he knocked Favre on his ass. But, even though I think he will be good, doesnt mean he will be, and even if he is good, who knows if Peppers will still be playing at such a high level.

S: Chris Harris has played well. I like what Major Wright brings, my only concern is can this group stay healthy? I would like to eventually find a replacement for Harris whom I just don't trust, but he is a solid starter.

So there's my reasoning! Have fun tearing it up!

regoob2
01-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I've been on record for months saying he was the most overrated prospect in this class.

If you want the straight line one trick pony - you take Floyd out of Notre Dame who doesn't come with even half the baggage.

Baldwin is no scholar himself when he speaks. I would stay far away from this one.

However, he is talented and will get picked in the 2nd round.
Baldwin is academic all-conference. I dont understand how one comment completely changes are his perceived character.

regoob2
01-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Really Regoob? If that's possible I'd be all over it. Fitz is a superstar WR that would help Cutler out immensely. If they wanted both picks in the same year i'd say no but would counter offer with a 1st and 6th (or 5th) this year and a second next year.
Well only if they actually wanted to trade him, which I doubt they would. Keep in mind the monster contract the new team would have to take on and pay him.

iowatreat54
01-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Fellow Bears fans,

We should draft Christian Ballard in the 2nd or 3rd and Tyler Sash in the 4th or 5th.

That is all.

sweetness34
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Fellow Bears fans,

We should draft Christian Ballard in the 2nd or 3rd and Tyler Sash in the 4th or 5th.

That is all.

**** that. We should draft Martez Wilson. Imagine what Rod could do with that type of physical specimen.

I'd love Liuget and Leshoure as well, but we have other needs that trump DT and RB that early.

I'm still on the OL, OL, OL, OL, WR, OL, OL, OL, OL, DT board though.

iowatreat54
01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
No thank you to Martez. Unless we make him a DE, and even then I don't want to draft a DE earlier than like round 5. AS a LB, I absolutely do not want him.

Honestly, I do want Liuget depending whos available and if we can get him in like the late 2nd (doubtful). I pretty much want all OL and maybe one or 2 DT/DB.

But we should get Sash in one of the later rounds. He's the perfect cover 2 SS and he's Jimmer Jamming. Plus, even if we don't start him, he would be orgasmic on STs his first year.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Craig Steltz much?

Monomach
01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
But we should get Sash in one of the later rounds. He's the perfect cover 2 SS and he's Jimmer Jamming. Plus, even if we don't start him, he would be orgasmic on STs his first year.

Is that you, Lovie?

God knows we need a 7th strong safety on this team.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
No thank you to Martez. Unless we make him a DE, and even then I don't want to draft a DE earlier than like round 5. AS a LB, I absolutely do not want him.

Honestly, I do want Liuget depending whos available and if we can get him in like the late 2nd (doubtful). I pretty much want all OL and maybe one or 2 DT/DB.

Liuget is far and away a first rounder. I think he goes right around #20.

You don't want a DE before round 5? It's one of the biggest needs on this team.

I'd like to see a draft like:

1 - Allen Bailey - DE - Miami
2 - Marcus Gilbert - OT - Florida
3 - Marvin Austin - DT - UNC

BeerBaron
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM

I would personally hunt down and kill Jerry Angelo if that happened. Because we definitely need another oversided DE/UT tweener, an overrated NFL RT only, and a GROSSLY overrated DT. Ew Ew Ewww.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I would personally hunt down and kill Jerry Angelo if that happened. Because we definitely need another oversided DE/UT tweener, an overrated NFL RT only, and a GROSSLY overrated DT. Ew Ew Ewww.

I think all 3 could start next season.

BeerBaron
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I think all 3 could start next season.

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/17296062/view/1/producttypecolor/1/type/png/width/378/height/378/f7u12-rage-guy-polo_design.png

I'm uh....gonna go leave the thread for a bit and cool off, and come back when the rage subsides to inform you why I think you are incorrect.

Monomach
01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Liuget is far and away a first rounder. I think he goes right around #20.

You don't want a DE before round 5? It's one of the biggest needs on this team.

I'd like to see a draft like:

Charles Barkley would shake his head and say "turrible" if he saw that. I'd just turn red and start punting puppies.

I'm thinking more like:

1- Gabe Carimi, RT/LT Wisconsin
2- Leonard Hankerson, WR Miami
3- Alex Linnenkohl, C Oregon State

...and DE is deep as can be on this team. Saying it's one of the biggest needs can only be trolling. It's about 10th on the list of positions of need. Peppers is the beast. Idonije is capable. Melton is ok.

Write this one down for the future: Corey Wootten is going to be a premier DE in this league.

Monomach
01-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I just worked it out. Before drafting a DE, I want:

LT
RT
LG
RG
C
go-to WR
FS
UT
CB
another CB
MLB of the future
SLB
P
backup QB

Basically, I want a DE more than I want a fullback, kicker, or strong safety.

iowatreat54
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Yea, DE is not a need. And certainly not first round, or even 2nd.

As for Liuget, I'm just secretly hoping he bombs his workouts because there's no way he falls past the first 5 or so picks in the 2nd at the latest. I wouldn't mind him in the late first, but depends on what OL is available.

And me saying Sash is just because I love me some Sash and he plays in a cover 2. We really don't need him. I just want the Bears to draft a player from Iowa, I don't care who.

Monomach
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Yea, DE is not a need. And certainly not first round, or even 2nd.

As for Liuget, I'm just secretly hoping he bombs his workouts because there's no way he falls past the first 5 or so picks in the 2nd at the latest. I wouldn't mind him in the late first, but depends on what OL is available.

And me saying Sash is just because I love me some Sash and he plays in a cover 2. We really don't need him. I just want the Bears to draft a player from Iowa, I don't care who.

We'll get Riley Reiff for you next year. Or Micah Hyde in two years.

iowatreat54
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
We'll get Riley Reiff for you next year. Or Micah Hyde in two years.

I....love you?

Actually, I'm hoping for Morris in 3 years to take over for Urlacher. Morris is the sekz.

But seriously, I basically just want us to take random types of OL all throughout the draft and see who sticks. Other positions we can at least make due with what we currently have.

regoob2
01-14-2011, 06:45 PM
How is Gilbert overrated? I live in FL and watch every FL game. Usually more than once since they replay them on Sunday morning before the NFL games. He's a very good athlete who does everything well. Im very high on him. He's very similar to Derek Sherrod. I definitely think he's a 2nd rounder and may go before our 2nd round pick.

I dont like the Bailey pick and Id be ok with Austin.

regoob2
01-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Charles Barkley would shake his head and say "turrible" if he saw that. I'd just turn red and start punting puppies.

I'm thinking more like:

1- Gabe Carimi, RT/LT Wisconsin
2- Leonard Hankerson, WR Miami
3- Alex Linnenkohl, C Oregon State

...and DE is deep as can be on this team. Saying it's one of the biggest needs can only be trolling. It's about 10th on the list of positions of need. Peppers is the beast. Idonije is capable. Melton is ok.

Write this one down for the future: Corey Wootten is going to be a premier DE in this league.
Carimi is not a LT. Definitely not in a Martz offense. He's really overrated. Hankerson isnt really a good fit for the system with his lack of speed. Linnenkohl also isnt a good fit and isnt very physical. Very athletic though. He's more of a ZBS guy.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Carimi is not a LT. Definitely not in a Martz offense. He's really overrated. Hankerson isnt really a good fit for the system with his lack of speed. Linnenkohl also isnt a good fit and isnt very physical. Very athletic though. He's more of a ZBS guy.

I really like Gilbert as well.

I agree Carimi is not even close to a LT. I think he plays inside in the NFL.

I like Hankerson, but he is nowhere near a #1 in the NFL, and if we are going for wideout early - I think he has to have superstar potential.

I like Bailey more than most. I am kinda surprised people don't think DE is a need. This entire defense is based off the front four. We have Peppers locked up longterm - I think it's imperative to find another impact DE on the other side if this team is a legit superbowl contender.

I'll be honest - I see Peppers and a whole lot of nothing on the DL. I like Izzy and think he would be a great #3 DE, but I think we can do better.

I hate pretty much everything we have inside. We have nice guys with motors, but no impact players inside.

The defensive line could be majorly upgraded.

regoob2
01-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I really like Gilbert as well.

I agree Carimi is not even close to a LT. I think he plays inside in the NFL.

I like Hankerson, but he is nowhere near a #1 in the NFL, and if we are going for wideout early - I think he has to have superstar potential.

I like Bailey more than most. I am kinda surprised people don't think DE is a need. This entire defense is based off the front four. We have Peppers locked up longterm - I think it's imperative to find another impact DE on the other side if this team is a legit superbowl contender.

I'll be honest - I see Peppers and a whole lot of nothing on the DL. I like Izzy and think he would be a great #3 DE, but I think we can do better.

I hate pretty much everything we have inside. We have nice guys with motors, but no impact players inside.

The defensive line could be majorly upgraded.
I agree that the DE position should at least be looked at. Id be happy if we took a DE and if we didnt. Izzy isnt getting any younger and we could use a developmental guy to contribute 3 years from now.

k0ng
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
I agree that the DE position should at least be looked at. Id be happy if we took a DE and if we didnt. Izzy isnt getting any younger and we could use a developmental guy to contribute 3 years from now.

Corey Wootton?

Are both Sidney Rice and Tramon Williams FA this offseason? I would really like to steal those guys away. Then we could focus on the OL and finding a DT in the draft.

regoob2
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Corey Wootton?

Are both Sidney Rice and Tramon Williams FA this offseason? I would really like to steal those guys away. Then we could focus on the OL and finding a DT in the draft.

I really like Wootton but we could use a 4th who could become our #3 in a few years. Not the biggest need but could be addressed.

Tramon resigned.

iowatreat54
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
I really like Wootton but we could use a 4th who could become our #3 in a few years. Not the biggest need but could be addressed.

Tramon resigned.

I wouldn't mind DE, but like I said earlier not until the 5th. Maybe the 4th like you said, depending on who it is.

But we do not need to use one of our top 3 picks on a DE unless one of the first round talents gets caught with a tranny hooker right before the draft and falls to the late 2nd or 3rd.

bearsfan_51
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
My current (realistic) wishlist:

1st round- Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

http://www.ajwnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/gabe-carimi-sanford-carimi.gif

I like he or Castonzo. Carimi has more of an injury history but greater upside. I like Castonzo's intangibles but he's probably pretty limited in terms of athletic ability. Went with the Big Ten kid.

2nd round- Ben Ijalana, G, Villanova

http://vuhoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ben-Ijalana.jpg

Jerry has had good luck with small school prospects in the 2nd round before, and Ijalana would fill a big need inside. I could see Demarcus Love here too, as his stock will drop when people begin to seriously question his ability to play outside in the NFL.

3rd round- Davon House, cornerback, New Mexico State

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/499031/wmuzyidtgpenigw.20080227212953.jpg

This isn't a great draft for cornerbacks, but I'm a fan of House. New Mexico State is a terrible program, but not because of him. He's a physical corner with ball skills which is perfect for our system. Tim Jennings had a nice game against the Seahawks, but could always be replaced.

4th round- Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0ZxKZ2zpzUk/TOQ5LEMDrAI/AAAAAAAAAWA/T2nND65rzZs/s1600/AndyDalton.jpg
Two simple reasons for this pick:

1) I have a heart attack everytime Cutler is hit.
2) Dalton is an ideal project for Martz. Extremely smart, good leader, good athleticism.

BeerBaron
01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd be ok with that draft. Carimi's LT ability can be questioned, but he can probably upgrade Omiyele and would definitely fit at RT.

I agree that Dalton is a good fit for Mike Martz. He's accurate too, which is another bonus in the Martz offense. There is definitely some young Marc Bulger in him, and anyone is better backing up Cutler than Todd F. Collins. (Take a guess what the F stands for.)

sweetness34
01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't mind a WR if the value is there, but those are our 3 biggest needs.

As far as the positional outlook goes:

QB - Pretty set here. I'd only take one if the value is there (51 mentioned Dalton)

RB - Solid depth and with a competent OL Forte and Taylor would be quality backs with quality stats.

WR - There is no true #1 receiver, but I'm a firm believer that if you shore up the OL this group would be fine. When Jay has had time they've been able to get open and make plays.

TE - Good depth here as well. Clark probably won't be around next year, but Olsen and Davis have high upside. Not a real need here either.

OL - As a unit they've progressed, but we still have weaknesses and need upgrades...bad. Best OL prospect available in Round 1 or 2?

OT - Omiyale and Webb have been decent as of late, but I'm not sold on them as long term answers right now.

OG - Williams may be the answer at LG, but Garza is old as balls and we need a replacement. Louis has nice potential, but we need to solidify this position.

C - Yeah, we need a Center. Kruetz has had another mediocre season and doesn't have anything left in the tank.

--------------

DE - Peppers, Wooton and Izzy make for a solid trio. It'd be nice to get another pass rusher, but I don't see it as a huge need right now.

DT - I see DT as a bigger need than DE. We lack that 'impact player' in the middle that would make our defense even better.

LB - BPA if it's available, but this position is pretty low on my needs list. Briggs and Urlacher are still playing at a high level and even if we lose Pisa I like Nick Roach and Brian Iwuh.

Safety - While not a major strength I don't see it as a weakness either. The unit is strong against the run and not a complete liability in pass coverage. A strong pass rush covers up their deficiencies hence why DT is more important IMO.

CB - Peanut is getting old and I don't know if Jennings is the answer on the other side. Josh Moore may be something if he develops and we still have Bowman, but it'd be nice to get a man-cover-corner prospect that isn't strictly handcuffed to zone coverage.

---------------

K - There is no replacement for the sex that is Robbie Gould.

P - I thought Maynard was falling off, but lately he's been really good. He's not what he used to be though and it might be worth a look in the later rounds for a developmental Punter.

KR/PR - Unless Hester is gone next year this position is fairly set as well.

--------------

I'm a little slow on the prospects in this draft, but right now my biggest needs are:

- OL (any one of the positions)
- DT
- CB

sweetness34
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd be ok with that draft. Carimi's LT ability can be questioned, but he can probably upgrade Omiyele and would definitely fit at RT.

I agree that Dalton is a good fit for Mike Martz. He's accurate too, which is another bonus in the Martz offense. There is definitely some young Marc Bulger in him, and anyone is better backing up Cutler than Todd F. Collins. (Take a guess what the F stands for.)

I'm still on the Hanie bandwagon. We should have been able to see his skills in the Giants and Panthers games if Lovie wasn't a dumbass. I know he was coming off an injury, but Todd Collins made my head hurt and that's saying considering our QB's over the years. At least Hanie would've been able to move the ball.

Monomach
01-18-2011, 09:02 AM

1. Carimi is a possible future LT. At the moment, he looks like a pro-bowl RT. Since we have the second worst RT in the league, doesn't that sound a little useful?

2. What system? We don't even run Mike Martz's offense anymore. Not a fit? Then Earl Bennett isn't, either. Are only speedy guys with major flaws good for the "system" that already sucked and got replaced with something entirely new? Would Brandon Marshall be a bad fit? Jay Cutler is never going to look like the pro-bowl qb he is without a physical receiver who can win a fight over a jump ball. He's just not the guy who surgically picks a team apart. Until we get a receivers that is his type of guy, we're jamming a square peg into a round hole. What Cutler needs is Earl Bennett in the slot working against linebackers, Johnny Knox on the outside running his deep routes, and a big guy who can beat corners on jump balls across from him.

3. Every time I've seen Linnenkohl play, he's gotten excellent push in the run game and has been solid in pass protection. He gets to the second level when run blocking. Weak guys don't do that. Sounds like you're automatically underrating his strength just because he is a fast guy with good feet.

BeerBaron
01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Saw a mock that gave us Mason Foster in the 2nd round....while that is far from the top of our needs list, it would be sick as hell. I think he's going to be a beast...possibly Lance Briggs 2.0 wherever he ends up. I think it was Babylon who said that if Foster played in the SEC, he'd be a first rounder. Still might be if he tests well all off season.

Bearsfan123
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
How would you guys feel about Corey Liuget in the late first?
I personally love the idea, A I think Liuget will be a stud and B I would be tickled that we drafted a guy from Illinois to Chicago.

regoob2
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
1. Carimi is a possible future LT. At the moment, he looks like a pro-bowl RT. Since we have the second worst RT in the league, doesn't that sound a little useful?

2. What system? We don't even run Mike Martz's offense anymore. Not a fit? Then Earl Bennett isn't, either. Are only speedy guys with major flaws good for the "system" that already sucked and got replaced with something entirely new? Would Brandon Marshall be a bad fit? Jay Cutler is never going to look like the pro-bowl qb he is without a physical receiver who can win a fight over a jump ball. He's just not the guy who surgically picks a team apart. Until we get a receivers that is his type of guy, we're jamming a square peg into a round hole. What Cutler needs is Earl Bennett in the slot working against linebackers, Johnny Knox on the outside running his deep routes, and a big guy who can beat corners on jump balls across from him.

3. Every time I've seen Linnenkohl play, he's gotten excellent push in the run game and has been solid in pass protection. He gets to the second level when run blocking. Weak guys don't do that. Sounds like you're automatically underrating his strength just because he is a fast guy with good feet.
Wow are you overrating Carimi and Hankerson. Carimi isnt a LT and definitely not a pro bowl RT. He's a good solid starting RT. Thats it. Hankerson is a nice looking player but he looked terrible in that bowl game. Thats hard to get out of my head. Ive seen Linnenkohl play a few times and he's not very strong. Its obvious on tape.

regoob2
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Saw a mock that gave us Mason Foster in the 2nd round....while that is far from the top of our needs list, it would be sick as hell. I think he's going to be a beast...possibly Lance Briggs 2.0 wherever he ends up. I think it was Babylon who said that if Foster played in the SEC, he'd be a first rounder. Still might be if he tests well all off season.He's a good fit for a 1 gap scheme but he isnt physical and takes a lot of really poor angles. I think he's more of a mid-rounder. Foster plays on the same team as Jake Locker so its not like Washington wasnt getting attention.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
We really need to find a gem CB in the offseason.

I like both Brandon Harris & Aaron Williams, but have a hard time justifying selecting one of them with the OL and DL needs.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
How would you guys feel about Corey Liuget in the late first?
I personally love the idea, A I think Liuget will be a stud and B I would be tickled that we drafted a guy from Illinois to Chicago.

Liuget is an absolute animal and probably the most underrated player in this class. Ask some of the other B10 fans on this board and they will tell you.

Scott has him going #19 overall to the Giants at the moment. I don't think he falls to the very end of the first with his athleticism.

He would be a real man child inside.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Todays game has me feeling the same way. Brandon Harris is also imo a better corner than the tackles that will be available are tackles.

VoteLynnSwan
01-23-2011, 05:51 PM
You simply can't justify taking a first round cornerback with this defensive scheme.

I'd rather take a pass rusher in the first (preferably an UT), that would automatically improve our secondary.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Aye, today was more evidence that our secondary cannot hold up vs. the quick passing attack. Our pass rush was getting to Rodgers when he held the ball for more than a second, but we need some more athletic DBs who can stick in close coverage without getting PI called.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Basically, our secondary is Danieal Manning and "some guys."

In case anyone was wondering, Manning finished the season as Pro Football Focus' #6 ranked safety in the NFL. He allowed a QB rating of under 60 in his zone...Completion rating of 55%. No touchdowns allowed. So, yeah...Of course we'll let him walk and start Major Wright at SS or something.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
I do agree about no CB in the first, though. Not unless Lovie is miraculously out and we move to a more man-to-man system.

In the mock forum, some Bears fan I never see in here keeps asking for Pouncey in the first. I'd ******* kill someone if that happened.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
So pick number 30. You think Tyron Smith is there?

BeerBaron
01-24-2011, 12:37 AM
So pick number 30. You think Tyron Smith is there?

I think he'll workout well and raise his stock out of our range...especially in a year with no clear cut top tackle.

Hopefully Sherrod is there. Wouldn't mind him being able to step in right away.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Probably. But sometimes the workout warrior hype train circles its way back to the players real value. A little hope.

Also, I am super psyched all these top senior O-linemen are playing in Mobile this week!

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
I'll tell you right now I was wrong about Carimi. I am coming around. His feet are a lot better than I thought.

Solder looks a lot more impressive than I originally thought as well.

And Titus Young looked incredible today.

bearsfan_51
01-25-2011, 06:11 PM
There are about 5 tackles that are late-1st worthy. We need to select one of them.

BeerBaron
01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
And Titus Young looked incredible today.

We draft another small, fast WR and I might have to hunt down and slay JA.

There are about 5 tackles that are late-1st worthy. We need to select one of them.

I assume you mean offensive tackles...and I'm not entirely sure we take one. JA might not want to give up on Omiyele yet, and he might stick with Webb at RT to try and make him into a "late round steal" type.

I think it's far more likely that we take an interior lineman early, possibly a center given that Kreutz is a free agent and hasn't been that good for a few seasons. We're probably stuck with Chris Williams at LG unless we want to admit that mistake as well...so I think we most likely see any pick invested in the o-line be at C or RG.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I am not advocating drafting Young. Just noting that he looked very impressive.

I like Solder a lot better than I did a week ago.

6'8" with those arms and feet? I wonder how high he will go..

bearsfan_51
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
How could anyone even possibly question that our tackles were the biggest weakness on our team this year?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
How could anyone even possibly question that our tackles were the biggest weakness on our team this year?

The worst part is there is no quick fix.

The starting 5 was shuffled like a deck of cards this season. It's a mess. I have a lot of faith in Tice however.

Does Webb have a future at all?
Can Omiyale move back to RT? Or back inside?
Where is Chris Williams future at?
Kreutz?
Garza?

It's a real mess. Assume we draft Tyron Smith and plug him in at LT. What is going to be around him? I seriously have no clue.

LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Chris Williams (I'd prefer a better run blocker here)
C - Kreutz
RG - Garza
RT - Omiyale

Is that it?

I think it's even more confusing if you draft someone like Pouncey in the first.

BeerBaron
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM

I'd be all for taking a tackle, but Omiyele has been useless everywhere except for LT, where he was slightly less useless. I just don't know if JA admits that mistake yet. Same for Williams.

I hope we draft a tackle...but I think a C or RG is more likely, and knowing how JA usually handles things, it will be the only o-lineman we take in the first 4 rounds.

BeerBaron
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
The worst part is there is no quick fix.

The starting 5 was shuffled like a deck of cards this season. It's a mess. I have a lot of faith in Tice however.

Does Webb have a future at all?
Can Omiyale move back to RT? Or back inside?
Where is Chris Williams future at?
Kreutz?
Garza?

It's a real mess. Assume we draft Tyron Smith and plug him in at LT. What is going to be around him? I seriously have no clue.

LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Chris Williams (I'd prefer a better run blocker here)
C - Kreutz
RG - Garza
RT - Omiyale

Is that it?

I think it's even more confusing if you draft someone like Pouncey in the first.

Omiyele was HORRIBLE at everywhere but LT. He's a pathetic run blocker....Kreutz is also a FA I hope to hell we don't bring back. A right side of the line going Kreutz-Garza-Omiyele would be the weakest run blocking unit in the history of the sport..

And we just might try and stick with Webb. He was the token JA late round development type that we threw to the fire when everyone else proved to be garbage. I bet he ends up getting a chance to keep his starting job next year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
I am not denying any of that. But, if you draft a LT (which we should)

Then what in the world do you do with Omiyale and the 4 other stiffs?

Because, as you said, Omiyale fits no where.

Can Chris Williams potentially play center? A 6'7 Center? I don't think he's a guard.

Round 1 - LT
Round 2 - Rodney Hudson / interior OL

bearsfan_51
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Both were a huge liability last year. Personally I think Webb was worse, but both were bad.

Draft a tackle in the 1st round and figure out the depth chart later.

Hurricane Ditka
01-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I say start in the middle, get a center to build the line around.

BeerBaron
01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I say start in the middle, get a center to build the line around.

With Kreutz on his way out and hopefully not coming back, and no other center capable player on the roster, it's definitely a logical direction to go in.

Wisniewski would be a good pick at 30, his value seems to be right around there, if not higher.

Monomach
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I still say sign Ryan Kalil and draft Carimi or Sherrod in the first.

regoob2
01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Webb was terrible early but he's look much better and borderline good. He's definitely going to be our starting RT next season and deserves it. Omiyale was the opposite and seemed to get worse. He's not a starting caliber player. Williams isnt a LG. He needs to kick back to LT. He cant be worse then Omiyale there. Kreutz played ok when the OGs played ok. Garza is running on fumes at best. He needs to go.

Our 2 biggest OL needs and overall team needs imo are LG and RG. Id like to see both of those addressed in FA. We can get starters there on the cheap and it opens up the draft for us to address WR/DL/CB

MidwayMonster31
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I would welcome picking Wis at 30. Kreutz has done great things for the team, but he's fallen off for some time. Carimi or even Castanzo would also work well. I highly doubt that Smith, Solder, or Sherrod will be around when we pick, but we might be in position to trade up, but only a few spots.
We are going up against BJ Raji, Ndamukong Suh and Kevin Williams six times a year, we need some quality players on the interior line to take on those guys. Wis, John Moffitt and another high upside guy like Will Rackley can make an impact.
Bust is right, in that there is no quick fix, however they can at least put a foundation in place, something I thought they would do years ago, but shows what I know.

Monomach
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Webb was terrible early but he's look much better and borderline good. He's definitely going to be our starting RT next season and deserves it. Omiyale was the opposite and seemed to get worse.
Sadly, PFF says that you're seeing things. Webb had one good game and one game where he graded out as average, but they were drowned out by games in which he was horrible. He ended up as the second worst right tackle in the NFL with bad run blocking, worse pass blocking, and a disturbing propensity for drawing penalties. Omiyale actually graded out better (but still bad).

RT was our worst OL position this season. Webb was also graded as the single worst player of the conference championship round. He allowed eight (!) pressures and failed to do any run blocking of significance. Eight pressures on one guy in one game is just amazing. It belongs in the Hall of Shame with stuff like Braylon Edwards' hands and Mario Mendoza's batting average.

Basically, the entire OL needs to be replaced in this order: RT, C, LT, RG, LG. That's how bad it is.

edit: It's not out of the realm of possibility that Webb's offseason will give him thinking time for things to "click," but it's not anything we should count on. He needs to compete for his job in training camp and not be given the benefit of the doubt. If he gets it all together, that's fantastic. If not, there are literally dozens of guys that could be freely signed and give us the same or better production for the league minimum.

Bearsfan123
01-25-2011, 11:06 PM
1st rd: Rodney Hudson C
2nd rd: Ben Ijalana OG
3rd rd: Jarvis Jenkins DT
4th rd: Korey Lindsey CB

bearsfan_51
01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Webb was ******* dreadful. You don't need a stats site to tell you that; just eyes.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Its all true. All of it. Everyones points.

BeerBaron
01-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Its all true. All of it. Everyones points.

lol

The jist of it all seems to be: Our o-line is just awful. Just downright awful. We all have different ideas where amongst it we should/will end up addressing, but we are in unanimous agreement that is just just plain terrible all across the board.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-26-2011, 01:59 AM
lol

The jist of it all seems to be: Our o-line is just awful. Just downright awful. We all have different ideas where amongst it we should/will end up addressing, but we are in unanimous agreement that is just just plain terrible all across the board.

I would love to see how everyone rates our OL 1-5. That would be comical. Who is the best stiff of the bunch? I bet everyone would have a different answer. I still don't know how I would rate them.

The problem is everyone here realizes we need 5 new offensive line starters and we only have 2 draft choices to get impact players. Maybe the first 3 rounds if lucky.

BeerBaron
01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I would love to see how everyone rates our OL 1-5. That would be comical. Who is the best stiff of the bunch? I bet everyone would have a different answer. I still don't know how I would rate them.

The problem is everyone here realizes we need 5 new offensive line starters and we only have 2 draft choices to get impact players. Maybe the first 3 rounds if lucky.

Well, they're so bad that I wish every one would be replaced...so ranking them would be like sorting out piles of dog **** from smelliest to least smelliest...it just wouldn't be worth the effort.

Here is what I think the team will rank them though (for some reasons I've already mentioned):

1.) LT - Omiyele - Played barely capable at LT, which is more than can be said about him playing at any other position. He's a JA guy and the prized FA for 2 years ago...I bet JA looks at him starting with minimal effectiveness (again, more than can be said about any other position on the line) and decides to keep him starting.

2.) RT - Webb - Again, a JA guy as a late round "steal" who started with some minimal effectiveness at the end of the season. He's young and they'll probably play the "he'll get better" card and give him every chance to keep starting.

3.) LG - Williams - Another guy JA probably won't give up on yet, though I'd be a little less surprised if he did than the first two. He's just not good enough of a run blocker to be a guard and he's a little tall for it too...loses leverage and can get driven back easily vs. more stout DTs.

4.) RG - Garza - Only because he's still under contract I believe. Hopefully we draft/sign someone to replace him.

5.) C - Kreutz - He's a FA I truly hope we don't bring back and we have no other center capable player on the roster really....hopefully we address this good and early with someone who can hold down the spot for a good long while.

Then there's always the chance that instead of someone new, we plug in Lance Louis.....sigh.

VoteLynnSwan
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
It'd be nice if we could bring in 5 new starters on the line.

I think Kreutz might get resigned... which I wouldn't have a problem with if we could get 2 new guards.

I think Williams needs to be tried at LT again early on... He played decent at LG, but that is a horrible investment. According to Monomach, LG was the best (of the worst) position on the line. (technically he listed LG as the last position that needs to be replaced... although they all needed to be replaced)

We're in such a crappy position, and really need some great drafts if we want to stay competitive for an extended period, because there are a lot of guys that need replacing within the next 2-3 years.

Monomach
01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Just saw a mock where we got Carimi and Danny Watkins in the first two rounds. Jizzed in my pants, tbqh. Watkins is old, but the guy looks ready to start right now and should still be able to play for at least 5 years.

Carimi over Webb, Watkins over Garza, and signing Kalil over Kreutz = one side of the line instantly being mediocre at worst!

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
I am really impressed with Watkins. Stout and mean. Played LT in college and was actually the #4 overall pick in the CFL draft fwiw.

Ive always been impressed with Carimi and I totally think he can play on the left. Not every team has a freak athlete LT (see Chicago Bears) but everyone needs a solid, tough-guy workhorse thats knows the playbook. Id most certainly spend the #29 pick on him so he could beat out Franko.

BeerBaron
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
As much as I would LOVE to take at least 2 lineman in our top 4 picks, I'm not counting on it.

This is Jerry Angelo after all. He's taken just one first round OL in the past....many years....and otherwise only seems to draft late rounders at the position.

Maybe with as bad as they were early this year, he'll change course and pick a few...but I'm not betting on it. I've said time and again here that guys like Omiyele, Webb and maybe even Williams are "his" guys, and I think he'll make sure they have every chance to remain starters.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Carimi-Mankins-Kruetz-Watkins-Webb

It'd be so cool it makes me sad thinking about it. Not only cuz it won't happen, but that it still has Kruetz and Webb.

dabears10
01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Carimi-Mankins-Kruetz-Watkins-Webb

It'd be so cool it makes me sad thinking about it. Not only cuz it won't happen, but that it still has Kruetz and Webb.

The line won't be fixed in a year. That will be true. I think Kreutz has another year of at least mediocre play left in him, so he can stay at center and just having the upgrade at the guard position will help the run game 10 fold. Concentrate on getting Forte the ball and move the pocket on PA roll out type packages with Cutler.

Hurricane Ditka
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Danny Watkins sounds like the kind of player we need on the inside.

regoob2
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Danny Watkins sounds like the kind of player we need on the inside.

A 27 yr old rookie who doesn't have a lot of experience doesn't seem like something I would invest a high pick on. On paper at least.

diabsoule
01-29-2011, 12:50 PM
A 27 yr old rookie who doesn't have a lot of experience doesn't seem like something I would invest a high pick on. On paper at least.

You must not be paying attention to the Senior Bowl. He has absolutely beasted the competition and played with a nasty demeanor and outright aggressiveness that is highly coveted on the OL. Being 27 is nothing considered most OL play until their 35, so you would get 8 good years out of him.

bearsfan_51
01-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Put me down for resigning Kruetz for 2 more years. He's still a decent starter (much better than either of our tackles) and he's super duper durable. It would also be nice to see him retire a Bear after his commitment to this franchise. We've got bigger fish to fry with our 1st round pick.

bearsfan_51
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
We also need to resign or franchise Danieal.

Umoro
01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
If Ryan Kerrigan slips into the bottom of the first round, would JA be smart to make him the pick in the first round?

BeerBaron
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM
He's not going to fall....a productive hard worker like that will get gobbled up in the teens at the latest I think.

iowatreat54
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Do not want Costanzo or Solder. That means we will take one of them with our 1st.

BeerBaron
01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Do not want Costanzo or Solder. That means we will take one of them with our 1st.

Haven't wanted Castonzo since I watched Steven Friday rape him repeatedly. Didn't look like he had the feet for LT, and he even got beat on some power moves by a guy 50 pounds lighter....not what I want in a RT either.

Like you said, probably means we'll take him.