PDA

View Full Version : Gruden's thoughts on CJ/Draft implications

etk
03-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Feb. 25, 2007 - 12:56 p.m. ET

Coach Jon Gruden commented on how Calvin Johnson would affect Michael Clayton's standing with the team.

Clayton's presence certainly wouldn't prevent Tampa from drafting Johnson if available. "Clayton is a guy we know that can play. But at the same time, when you pick high, when it's your turn to select, you want to draft a good football player," Gruden said.

Source: St. Petersburg Times

This is old but no one ever posted it. I love that quote from Chucky. He basically implied that we won't pass on CJ if he's there, and I think this was even before CJ's 40 time. It's refreshing old news, so now I can focus on whether CJ will be available or not. If he's not, the BPA would be Joe Thomas, and based on that comment I would assume that we take him, although Okoye should be the pick.

Caddy
03-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Calvin Johnson is the best player in the draft and that status is highly deserved. If we didn't take him when he was available then it would be an extremely poor decision.

I think that if CJ is gone and Joe Thomas is still on the board, he will be the pick. I know we have Petitgout, but he is not going to be around forever. Joe Thomas has the potential to be our LT for 10 years and a franchise LT is just what the Bucs need.

And as far as Okoye goes, I am not buying into the hype at this stage. Is he a great talent? Yes. But is he top 5 worthy? No. I am aware that doesn't mean we won't draft him, I just think it would be poor value. His bandwagon sure is popular at the moment though.

Chucky
03-16-2007, 09:44 PM
i have to agree with 24cadillac on this one

etk
03-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Boo where's BeansDooma to hype up his boy Okoye for me? He's not top 5 worthy I'll give it that, but he definitely should be our 2nd option if CJ is gone. I saw one mock draft where we traded down to Buffalo's spot and got him. That would be an awesome trade and I would forget about CJ if we traded down that far and still got Amobi.

Bucsfan
03-17-2007, 01:14 AM
this story was posted a while ago

imo I dont think we can go wrong with our pick...Quinn, JT, CJ, or Okoye will likely be a Buc and im fine with any of them

Caddy
03-17-2007, 02:47 AM
this story was posted a while ago

imo I dont think we can go wrong with our pick...Quinn, JT, CJ, or Okoye will likely be a Buc and im fine with any of them

I think you can add Adams to that list because I see him as a legitimate possibility. He is an ideal fit for the Cover 2, but might be another guy not worthy of our pick.

Merlin
03-17-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm sure everyone has a good idea of my opinion as to who we should draft if CJ is not available....lols, (but Quinn aside) would we draft a OT who may sit on the bench? (discuss)

If we do pick him, we could use him to trade maybe? something along the lines of the Manning/Rivers deal?

IMO, their isn't a top 5 defender in the draft, however I wouldn't be upset if we trade down and picked up either Okoye or Adams.

Caddy
03-17-2007, 04:34 AM
If we drafted Joe Thomas, he would be the starter from Day 1. I am not sure what we would do with Petitgout. I would be hesitant to start him at RT as it would hinder Truebloods development. He has played at guard before so he could possibly slot in at LG and fight with Buenning and Davis for starting LG.

Merlin
03-17-2007, 04:53 AM
If we drafted Joe Thomas, he would be the starter from Day 1. I am not sure what we would do with Petitgout. I would be hesitant to start him at RT as it would hinder Truebloods development. He has played at guard before so he could possibly slot in at LG and fight with Buenning and Davis for starting LG.Well, you would certainly expect your #1 pick to start, and I agree with your point concerning Trueblood, I guess Buenning might be the more likely to miss out, (out of the 3) in terms of his versitility and experience etc, has he played any other position other than G, I don't think he did in college.

Caddy
03-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Buenning is strictly a guard. Some people may comment he could play center, but a transition like that could take years and may never pan out.

etk
03-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't like the idea of drafting Joe Thomas when we have an adequate starting mix in place. C is our biggest need on the offensive line, and I have a feeling that we won't draft Thomas if he is available.

Beans
03-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Boo where's BeansDooma to hype up his boy Okoye for me? He's not top 5 worthy I'll give it that, but he definitely should be our 2nd option if CJ is gone. I saw one mock draft where we traded down to Buffalo's spot and got him. That would be an awesome trade and I would forget about CJ if we traded down that far and still got Amobi.

Yo.

I want CJ more than I want Okoye for sure. If they're both available there's no question that CJ is the better pick and the one I want.

buuuuuuuuuuut if CJ is taken before he gets to us, then Okoye will go #4. That's just my thinking.