PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Hudgins WR Elon, the next Miles Austin???

RGVBadBoy
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
The Boys just signed Terrell Hudgins WR from Elon University in NC as an UDFA. Hudgins broke all of Jerry Rice's records on the I-AA (FCS) level and is a big, powerful, fast WR with great hands and plays faster than he times. Hudgins 6'2 229lbs 4.52 origionally signed with East Carolina after playing QB in HS, but transfered to Elon after ECU announced they would be moving him to LB. Hudgins finished the 2009 season with 123rec for 1,633yrds and 16tds and his career with 394rec 5,220yrds and 51tds in 4 seasons.

Good pick up by the boys, lets see how he pans out, it looks like he's got a real shot at making the team.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Making the team, as in the 53 man roster? How would you come to that conclusion??

Trogdor
04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Whoa... hold on now fella. He's signed for camp and will have to beat out a lot of WRs to make it to the 53. Lets see how well he does at rookie camp, then mini-camps, then training camp before penciling him into a roster spot.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Your right, he hasnt made the roster, YET, but if he's as good as his #s indicate, he has a decent shot to make the 53man roster. I think he has a shot and IF/when he makes it, he can potentially be the next small school sensation ala Miles Austin:)

E-Man
04-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't know if he has an opportunity to make the team. Miles, Roy, Dez, and Ogletree are going to make the team. That only leaves room for one more spot, and that could go to either Crayton or Hurd. It think one gets traded or cut, but they might keep one to have a vet in the receiver corps. His measurables are nice though.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Crayton and Hurd have already asked to be traded, Ogletree showed some progress but lets not forget he was an UDFA too:)

LonghornsLegend
04-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Your right, he hasnt made the roster, YET, but if he's as good as his #s indicate, he has a decent shot to make the 53man roster. I think he has a shot and IF/when he makes it, he can potentially be the next small school sensation ala Miles Austin:)

Numbers don't mean anything, let's just see how he performs with pads on against elite competition before we say whether or not he's going to be any good or has a shot at making the team.

These types of guys are prime PS players, the only way these guys make the 53 is if they really go out and dominate pre-season and catch some other teams attention. The numbers game really doesn't matter now even if they are impressive.

I'll give our team the benefit of the doubt, we love going to the well for UDFA WR's and all, but this guy is going to have to really offer alot to make the team.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the kid is every bit as good as Hurd was and he made the team, he has the size, speed and numbers to garner attention, he had a 4rth round grade, I am shocked we get him as an UDFA.

chrlopez1
04-26-2010, 01:02 PM
If they can play we will keep them. Remember most rookie free agents stay with the team that signs them and get signed to the practice team. Most NFL teams don't sign other players and put them on their team. It is very rare....so if they guy can play it is possible that he will be on our practice team.

D-Unit
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I doubt that we're ever gonna see another UDFA hit at WR like Austin ever again in our lifetime. It's just too rare.

Yeah, maybe we'll find a guy who has the same raw talent or better, but these things take a perfect aligning with the stars... opportunity mostly gets in the way, but timing, proper development, ability to contribute on special teams, team chemistry, backing by the front office/coaching staff and a whole slew of other things come into play that all have to work.

DiG
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.crywalt.com/blog/images/funny-pictures-sad-cat-blackandwhite.jpg

herniateddisc
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I doubt that we're ever gonna see another UDFA hit at WR like Austin ever again in our lifetime. It's just too rare.

Yeah, maybe we'll find a guy who has the same raw talent or better, but these things take a perfect aligning with the stars... opportunity mostly gets in the way, but timing, proper development, ability to contribute on special teams, team chemistry, backing by the front office/coaching staff and a whole slew of other things come into play that all have to work.

Which makes my forecast even more-so incredible.

<smile>

Good draft BTW. Best since Parcells left.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I think if he can stick on the practice squad for a while, he'll prove he can play, maybe even get on the active roster and make some plays. I'm not sold on Sam Hurd, but Crayton can play. This Hudgins kid looks like a specimen and we cant completely discount his statistics, sure they are FCS, but hey so were alot of great WRs who have graced the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I think the kid is every bit as good as Hurd was .

This is the thing, you don't know this. He hasn't even played, all your looking at is size and stats. If this is all you need hell maybe we should go sign Mike Williams!!1!1!!

He's 6'5 230 and he had 30 TD's and over 2500 yards at USC in two years, USC is division one so he's bound to be a player right!!

Why are you so quick to jump the gun here? You have no idea if he's ANYWHERE near as good as Hurd is because you've never seen him play before at the NFL level. I thought this would be common sense but I guess not, and I can't believe I'm wasting this much time for an UDFA arguing why he isn't a lock to make the roster and we haven't even had mini camp yet.

D-Unit
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Which makes my forecast even more-so incredible.

<smile>

Good draft BTW. Best since Parcells left.
If only you had called that when we first signed him instead of year 3 of Austin's career. lol.

I'll have to disagree with this being the best draft since Parcells left.

No way will it compare to 2008 when we brought in Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennett, Tashard Choice, and Orlando Scandrick. It's good though, very promising!

Paul
04-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Matt Nichols = Tony Romo! 3400 Yards 33TDs 6 INT in his senior year. Straight Beast! Of course I'm basing this solely on stats he put up at small school,since I've never seen him play, and it's only 2 days after the draft. But who cares!

Seriously, can we at least wait until he actually steps on to a practice field before doing all this. Christ.

LonghornsLegend
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
If only you had called that when we first signed him instead of year 3 of Austin's career. lol.

I guess he feels like he was the very first one to predict Austin would/could breakout by that time. I had been saying Austin was ready to break out after his pre-season the year before he broke out when he got injured. He was primed for a big year that year but things just didn't go his way, and I know for a fact I, or Rob wasn't the only one around here saying that.

I'm in alot of those fantasy football dynasty leagues where you keep players yearly and had Austin stashed since the beginning of that year and was hyping him up all through the NFL section of this site.

D-Unit
04-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I was very pleased about the things we used to read about Austin after we first signed him.

No one expected much from his rookie year. I got down on him in Year 2 because all of his dropped passes and missed bombs. Year 3 picked up for him and this is when mostly everyone (including Jerry) started believing he could replace TO. Year 4 was his breakout year. Now everyone is a fan, but I still have expectations for him that he hasn't met yet. ...consistency.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
This is the thing, you don't know this. He hasn't even played, all your looking at is size and stats. If this is all you need hell maybe we should go sign Mike Williams!!1!1!!

He's 6'5 230 and he had 30 TD's and over 2500 yards at USC in two years, USC is division one so he's bound to be a player right!!

Why are you so quick to jump the gun here? You have no idea if he's ANYWHERE near as good as Hurd is because you've never seen him play before at the NFL level. I thought this would be common sense but I guess not, and I can't believe I'm wasting this much time for an UDFA arguing why he isn't a lock to make the roster and we haven't even had mini camp yet.

Your missing the point, I'm talking "diamonds in the rough" here. This kid is not Mike Williams, Williams was drafted #10 overall out of a national power (USC) and had all kinds of expectations, this kid doesn't, he played at Div1AA Elon U?!?! That is why I made the comparison to Miles Austin from Monmouth, because aside from myself, I didnt hear alot of other Cowboys fans real thrilled to hear he had signed with the Boyz when he did, thats right, I was high on Miles since before the draft and he was actually on my "draft board" along with Marquis Colston and Brandon Marshall, but whatever, who the hell am I?!!? No one special, I have been high on Hudgins since I initially read about him, he has stats, he has measurables but he does not have the "hype", so I'm "hypeing" him, I say he'll be in the NFL, I HOPE he'll be a Cowboy.

I obviously don't mean, he's literally going to be the NEXT Miles Austin, it is more of a comparison, a catipillar to butterfly if you will. Mike Williams went from butterfly to catipillar.... So yeah, bad comparison:)

And about Hurd, Hurd is a good player, I liked him, but after showing flashes in his 2nd season, he really hasn't done much, so IF Hudgins has ANY type of success with the Cowboys, we could say he at least on par with Hurd.

E-Man
04-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Crayton and Hurd have already asked to be traded, Ogletree showed some progress but lets not forget he was an UDFA too:)

I know both guys have asked to be traded, but many times players who seek trades stay with the same team for various reasons. I could see the Cowboys getting rid of either Crayton and/or Hurd, but it's no lock that a team really wants them if they know they're getting cut.

I think they keep one of them, because the receiving corps is really young right now. Dez and Ogletree are unknowns. They'll probably have a roster spot, but it's no guarantee that they'll be able to contribute. We know Roy and Miles are starting, and Dez could take Roy's spot by season's end if he makes a smoother transition than we think. Roy is injury prone though, and I'm sure a vet older than two years would ease some concerns.

Supporting Caste
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Miami might cough up like, a 7th for Crayton, but no one will trade for Hurd.

RGVBadBoy
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Miami might cough up like, a 7th for Crayton, but no one will trade for Hurd.

No way, its Crayton is only a 7th... Crayton can get the Boyz a 5th...

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
No way, its Crayton is only a 7th... Crayton can get the Boyz a 5th...
Yeah right. If that was true, it would've already happened. Jerry put both Crayton and Hurd on the block after Day 1 of the draft, following the Dez pick.

I know you'd like to think he's worth that much, but he's not. If we cut him, he'd struggle to even find a team.

Trogdor
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah right. If that was true, it would've already happened. Jerry put both Crayton and Hurd on the block after Day 1 of the draft, following the Dez pick.

I know you'd like to think he's worth that much, but he's not. If we cut him, he'd struggle to even find a team.

I think he'd be a reasonable slot receiver fill in for a team that has an injury in camp. Out of all our receivers he has to be the first to go considering he is the one (in my eyes) with the least potential. Crayton isn't going to push for a starting job nor will he convince anyone that he belongs back there returning kicks / punts (don't point to the two TD returns John Madden could of run through those lanes -- probably faster too...). :)

I honestly feel Crayton will be involved if/when we try and trade for a veteran swing tackle / safety. As for straight up for picks... not seeing it.

E-Man
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I think Crayton would find a team easy. He's a vet with good experience that comes cheap. I think no one traded for him because they knew he is out the door. Dallas doesn't have much bargaining when it's obvious that the player they have won't stick around. Teams are probably just waiting for him to get cut so they could have him without giving up anything.

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
I could see him being picked up... I just think he'll struggle finding an opportunity like the one he's had here. It may be weeks or months before he finds a team. I don't think he'll have a line of suitors waiting at his door step. He'd be battling with UDFA types, just like he would be here.

I want him out mostly because of his big mouth.

E-Man
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I still have love for him because I'm a DeSoto high homer, but his time is up. I think he gets too much of a bad rep for that playoff drop though. I hope he finds a team that gives him a good role.

RGVBadBoy
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Crayton has been pretty productive, a team like the Browns, Ravens or Panthers would have been lucky to land Crayton last season.... I think he's worth something, maybe not a pick, but a lil somethin' forsure.

D-Unit
04-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Crayton has been pretty productive, a team like the Browns, Ravens or Panthers would have been lucky to land Crayton last season.... I think he's worth something, maybe not a pick, but a lil somethin' forsure.
Nope nothing. Even if a team thinks he's valuable, they won't offer anything now because they'll bank on him being released. Look at Arizona... they just gave Faneca millions.... but did they trade for him? No. You can most certainly bet that NY came knocking on their door asking if they wanted to trade for him before they outright released him.

RGVBadBoy
04-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Nope nothing. Even if a team thinks he's valuable, they won't offer anything now because they'll bank on him being released. Look at Arizona... they just gave Faneca millions.... but did they trade for him? No. You can most certainly bet that NY came knocking on their door asking if they wanted to trade for him before they outright released him.

Point well made.... The Boyz will be releasing Crayton, I think Hurd will stick around. I think Hudgins becomes a very productive WR in the NFL, hopefully with my Boyz, but if not, I wish him luck.