PDA

View Full Version : The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
There was improvement throughout the year, remember it was his first year at center.

Completely agreed, he doesn't need to step in right away, with the way we play rookies...

Can you describe his game towards the end of the season?

Forenci
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd much rather have a Maurkice Pouncey type of center who destroys people at the second level/LOS and can do a good job in pass protection.

Granted, Mike Pouncey by no means his brother in terms of ability.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 09:47 AM
I'd much rather have a Maurkice Pouncey type of center who destroys people at the second level/LOS and can do a good job in pass protection.

Granted, Mike Pouncey by no means his brother in terms of ability.

I think I prefer that as well. Bc Eli pretty much makes all the adjustments anyway. However, I think our situation is a little different right now bc I think we need immediate help at Center. I don't know if we have the luxury of waiting a year for an athlete to develop.

I hope we do, I hope we can use Koets to start the season and use our drafted Center a year from now or perhaps halfway through the year, but I'm not sure if it's doable.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm still liking O'Dowd in the 2nd if possible.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Question.

So what are you specifically looking for in our next Center? Would you take a raw athlete over a polished guy with average athleticism? Or do you want an intelligent technician who lacks some athleticism but is very capable of making line calls and uses good technique?

The reason I ask is bc no Center that I know of has it all, he's either 1 or the other, so which one do you prefer?

Depends on our system... We are not a zone running team, so option 2. Make the line calls, identify blitzers and make the line calls. Then either fold, drive, or combo block and chip off to the next level.

Option 1: Would be raw athletic ability which the coach would polish and then you can easily teach zone blocking. Zone blocking, and pass protection might be slide protection rather than BOB blocking.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Depends on our system... We are not a zone running team, so option 2. Make the line calls, identify blitzers and make the line calls. Then either fold, drive, or combo block and chip off to the next level.

Option 1: Would be raw athletic ability which the coach would polish and then you can easily teach zone blocking. Zone blocking, and pass protection might be slide protection rather than BOB blocking.

We mix in some zone blocking don't we? I couldve sworn Ive seen us zone block a decent amount.

I think we zone block more for Bradshaw than Jacobs.

I'm still liking O'Dowd in the 2nd if possible.

O'Dowd was my guy too. But I don't mind gathering more names to check out.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 10:15 AM
As it stands right now, my mock is

1. Carimi
2. O'Dowd
3. Herz/Murray

To be fair, im still catching up on prospects. I've probably only checked out about 10% (more like 5 percent honestly) of the guys who have round 1-3 grades on em.

Ive focused mainly on oline and linebacker.

Forenci
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
As it stands right now, my mock is

1. Carimi
2. O'Dowd
3. Herz/Murray

To be fair, im still catching up on prospects. I've probably only checked out about 10% (more like 5 percent honestly) of the guys who have round 1-3 grades on em.

Ive focused mainly on oline and linebacker.

O'Dowd scares me a little, though. His injuries were pretty consistent before this year. We don't want another Shaun O'Hara (more recently than previously) who is constantly being taken out of the line and disrupting the offensive lines chemistry.

I think we've all seen what staying together for a while as a unit can do for an offensive line.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 10:24 AM
O'Dowd scares me a little, though. His injuries were pretty consistent before this year. We don't want another Shaun O'Hara (more recently than previously) who is constantly being taken out of the line and disrupting the offensive lines chemistry.

I think we've all seen what staying together for a while as a unit can do for an offensive line.

That's why O'Dowd is a 2nd round guy though. If he had no health scares, he'd easily be a late 1st round guy.

But I agree with your caution. It is something we need to be aware of. I would gamble on him, but I can understand why we would pass up on him.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
We mix in some zone blocking don't we? I couldve sworn Ive seen us zone block a decent amount.

I think we zone block more for Bradshaw than Jacobs.

O'Dowd was my guy too. But I don't mind gathering more names to check out.

Barely.. I saw one where we scored a TD because it was so rare.. Brandon Jacobs 27 yard TD against the 49ers at Giants Stadium. That's the zone I saw. Everything else is something designed.

But we are not a zone blocking team. So option 2 fits us better.

DOMINATEtheline
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Mock draft as of today:
1. Derek Sherrod OT
Alternative: Stephen Paea DT

2. Michael Pouncey OG/C
Alternative: Jerell Powe DT

3. Johnny Patrick CB
Alternative: Noel Devine offensive weapon

4. Edmund Gates Wr/kr
Alternative: Curtis Marsh cb/kr

6. Adrian Moten olb
Alternative: Michael Morgan Olb

7. Craig Cooper rb
Alternative: Mario Fannin rb

I really think there is no Linebacker in this draft that can start from the day 1 so I believe we will address this issue in Free Agency. Greenway or Anderson would be good pick ups. I believe in fortifyin the trenches and upgrading our special team return game and adding a corner to be of the upmost importance in this draft. A couple of players that I really like that didn't make the mock are: mikel Leshore, mason foster, janovis Jenkins. After the senior bowl and the combine alot of things will be more clearer. Any thoughts?

bigbluedefense
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
DOMINATE, what's your thoughts on Mason Foster? He's catching a ton of buzz and people are saying he's going to be a very good player.

DOMINATEtheline
01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
DOMINATE, what's your thoughts on Mason Foster? He's catching a ton of buzz and people are saying he's going to be a very good player.

Man, he's caught my eye alot! He's physical, has a great motor and hes passionate, I love passionate defensive players. I just can't wait till the senior bowl so we can really get a glimpse of his physical tools and potential at the next level. I like him right now as a 3rd rd pick, the fact that he played in the PAC 10 really lowers his stock. After the senior bowl going against the best seniors in this draft class we can make a more educated accessment of is true potential at the next level. I know you like him at Mike, but I m really lookin at him at SAM.

bigbluedefense
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Man, he's caught my eye alot! He's physical, has a great motor and hes passionate, I love passionate defensive players. I just can't wait till the senior bowl so we can really get a glimpse of his physical tools and potential at the next level. I like him right now as a 3rd rd pick, the fact that he played in the PAC 10 really lowers his stock. After the senior bowl going against the best seniors in this draft class we can make a more educated accessment of is true potential at the next level. I know you like him at Mike, but I m really lookin at him at SAM.

I don't know where I like him or if I like him at all. I haven't seen him. I heard about him though. I prefer a guy we can slide in at MIKE, so I'll definitely keep an eye on him at the Senior Bowl.

DOMINATEtheline
01-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't know where I like him or if I like him at all. I haven't seen him. I heard about him though. I prefer a guy we can slide in at MIKE, so I'll definitely keep an eye on him at the Senior Bowl.

I caught a couple of Washington St games this year cause of John locker and foster stood out.

bigbluedefense
01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
I caught a couple of Washington St games this year cause of John locker and foster stood out.

What's his style? Height/Weight/Speed?

I wonder if he's worth a 1st. It sounds like ppl are projecting him as a 1st rounder by the time the draft approaches.

DOMINATEtheline
01-17-2011, 06:15 PM
What's his style? Height/Weight/Speed?

I wonder if he's worth a 1st. It sounds like ppl are projecting him as a 1st rounder by the time the draft approaches.

6-2 240lbs 4.7; as of today i feel theres not a 1st rounder in this draft thats worth a 1st round pick, the only one that i consider was Bruce Carter and hes hurt. I need the senior bowl and the combine to fortify my comparison. But he reminds me of Lance Briggs.

bigbluedefense
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I'll take Lance Briggs in a heart beat.

This also got me thinking, David Harris is going to be a FA. Should we go after him? He's more of a 34 thumper, but I LOVE David Harris.

I'm not sure if his game is what we need though.

I really hope Reese doesn't go after Barret Rudd. No thank you.

DOMINATEtheline
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM

This also got me thinking, David Harris is going to be a FA. Should we go after him? He's more of a 34 thumper, but I LOVE David Harris.

We need to be careful with 3-4 linebackers and we can get burned badly. My cousin is die hard jets fan who actually went to game yesterday and I started to watch jets games as a football fan cause of him, and my conclusions are that there coordinators are above ours. David Harris is a bluechip run stuffer but a big liability in coverage. I dont think he is better in pass coverage than Goff. I love their the physicality and tenacity that Scott and Harris play with. I really wished now that we would of signed DANSBY AND drafted Earl Thomas instead of what we did.

Forenci
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Yeah, I'd stay away from Harris myself. I love him as a player (one of the few Jets who doesn't talk a ton of ****, too) and think he's great but I'm not convinced he's what we're looking for. He's more of the Antonio Pierce type (before he got awful) in that he is a force against the run, is smart, and is okay in coverage. My fear is he'll be exposed in a 4-3, and especially as he starts to get older.

BaLLiN
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Does anyone not really like the idea of Nate Solder? he doesn't look like he's quick enough to handle speed rushers. Marcus Cannon and Gabe Carimi are too more solid guys i feel, especially if we wanted them to play right away. Tyron Smith is prob the only guy who is a LT, but he's skinny and might take awhile to adjust.

We need to trade down because our needs just dont match up with value at all.

bigbluedefense
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd stay away from Tyron Smith. The guy is way too small, he's got that lazy USC mentality, and it seems like he's coming out when he clearly isn't ready to come out yet bc he wants to get paid. All red flags to me.

Forenci
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Solder scares the crap out of me. Watching Cameron Jordan completely obliterate him was tough to watch. Smith could be good, but like BBD said, he needs to pack on some serious weight and maintain his quickness in order to be thought higher of.

bigbluedefense
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm still on the Gabe Carimi bandwagon. He's such a safe pick. And a quality pick too. He's a guy who can start from day 1, and if he doesn't pan out at LT, the guy is going to be a stud RT, especially in our offense. We need a future RT anyway, and at pick 19, it's not a reach to go after a RT.

I really think he can be a Jordan Gross type of LT though if given the chance.

Damix
01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Is there that much difference between Smith and Beatty?

bigbluedefense
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
He's the wildcard in all of this. If Beatty can pack on some weight, study his assignments and get his stuff together, the need for a LT is no longer as urgent.

That would make Gabe even more desirable in my eyes, bc he'd be our RT of the future.

I was just thinking now, I remember Coughlin glowing about Mich Petrus at the end of the season when he was asked to assess the rookies from this year.

I wonder...if he loves him that much, and if Diehl and Snee are pretty much locked into both Guard positions for the foreseeable future...do they move Petrus to Center?

Is it really that crazy to think that's possible? I honestly thought they wouldve done that this year. If Koets can do it, why can't Petrus?

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
I tell you what guys, the more I look at Cameron Heyward, the more I'm digging him with our 1st. The guy is a stud.

I know he's more of a 34 End than he is a DT, but I think he'll thrive in either scheme. Especially with Tuck and Osi on the edges. Plus he's scheme diverse, which is always a plus in case we do move to a 34 later on.

He reminds me of Richard Seymour, and Seymour is a beast in either scheme.

I'm starting to get on the Cameron Heyward bandwagon. I'm really digging his game.

He would be BPA at 19 too, at least I'm assuming so.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
He's the wildcard in all of this. If Beatty can pack on some weight, study his assignments and get his stuff together, the need for a LT is no longer as urgent.

That would make Gabe even more desirable in my eyes, bc he'd be our RT of the future.

I was just thinking now, I remember Coughlin glowing about Mich Petrus at the end of the season when he was asked to assess the rookies from this year.

I wonder...if he loves him that much, and if Diehl and Snee are pretty much locked into both Guard positions for the foreseeable future...do they move Petrus to Center?

Is it really that crazy to think that's possible? I honestly thought they wouldve done that this year. If Koets can do it, why can't Petrus?

No, no, no.. No musical offensive linemen. We are going to sack up and grab the right prospects to fit the position. No more moving people here and there. We screwed up Kiwi's career moving him back and forth. Sintim has done nothing and I don't want to move a guard to center. If we want a center, than we need to actually draft one. Same with LB. Draft the position we need!

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 07:40 AM
No, no, no.. No musical offensive linemen. We are going to sack up and grab the right prospects to fit the position. No more moving people here and there. We screwed up Kiwi's career moving him back and forth. Sintim has done nothing and I don't want to move a guard to center. If we want a center, than we need to actually draft one. Same with LB. Draft the position we need!

In a perfect world yes. But who knows how things shape up. I don't want us to sacrifice the integrity of our board just for the sake of getting a certain position.

And in that case, you need a plan B. Plenty of Guards have converted to Centers and have thrived. Olinemen can shuffle, it's not that big of a deal. It happens all the time all across the league.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Boss, what do you think of Cameron Heyward? Have you seen any Ohio State games?

NY+Giants=NYG
01-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Boss, what do you think of Cameron Heyward? Have you seen any Ohio State games?

No, don't watch college football. No parity, it's not fun. I just watch NFL actually. Don't even watch any other sport.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
No, don't watch college football. No parity, it's not fun. I just watch NFL actually. Don't even watch any other sport.

I'm catching some games that were DVR'd. I'm not a college football fan either. Plus that would be footbal overkill for me. I love football, but I can't watch it 24/7. That would drive me insane, it's not like it's my profession or anything.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
In a perfect world yes. But who knows how things shape up. I don't want us to sacrifice the integrity of our board just for the sake of getting a certain position.

And in that case, you need a plan B. Plenty of Guards have converted to Centers and have thrived. Olinemen can shuffle, it's not that big of a deal. It happens all the time all across the league.

True. I would go BPA, but on the same token, not going to start moving offensive linemen. We are versatile and other players from other positions on the line can play different spots. That's a good thing, but I wouldn't confuse that with that player being the right guy to play it full time.

Elite lines have the same players playing on it, unless there is injury and need depth. I would rather sign or draft trench players.

Forenci
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm a big Heyward fan myself. He's a very powerful guy, but he does lack some of the flash that a lot of top tier defensive linemen tend to have. His arsenal of pass rush moves is fairly limited, but he's a very strong and I think most people see him as a "safe" pick. Someone who doesn't have huge upside necessarily, but a guy who you know will contribute and be productive at the very least.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I think he can be that interior piece we're missing on defense. Can you imagine a future dline of

LE: Tuck
NT: Joseph
UT: Heyward
RE: JPP

That would be beyond sick.

Giantsfan1080
01-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm fine with Heyward and Watt as well. It would give us a lot more flexibility in regards to Kiwi and Osi also.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
That's honestly probably the 2nd biggest missing ingredient to our defense, an interior pass rusher.

Since LB is so weak this year, it'll be interesting to see if we go in that direction. Or if we go after olinemen instead.

This year is a lot like last year in a sense that we can go in a bunch of different directions.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I think he can be that interior piece we're missing on defense. Can you imagine a future dline of

LE: Tuck
NT: Joseph
UT: Heyward
RE: JPP

That would be beyond sick.

Sick for what?

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Sick for what?

Huh?

The Giants identity is along the dline. I have no problem with us overstocking the dline.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Huh?

The Giants identity is along the dline. I have no problem with us overstocking the dline.

Well my point was yeah it would be sick until teams go with the 3 step drop and negate everything, which is a trend that's reoccuring now. That was my point..

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Well my point was yeah it would be sick until teams go with the 3 step drop and negate everything, which is a trend that's reoccuring now. That was my point..

Well, I think the biggest flaw in our philosophy is we're so hell bent on getting DEs that we ignore interior pressure.

We need an interior pressure guy to complete the dline. But I like what we do. We have a way of doing things, and we feel strongly about it. We don't deviate and try to copy other trends, the Giants believe in overstocking the dline and coming at you in waves and they have stuck to that philosophy.

I think to be successful, you need to stay true to what you believe is a winning formula.

An interior rusher would allow us to leave another guy in coverage vs 3 step drop teams.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, I think the biggest flaw in our philosophy is we're so hell bent on getting DEs that we ignore interior pressure.

We need an interior pressure guy to complete the dline. But I like what we do. We have a way of doing things, and we feel strongly about it. We don't deviate and try to copy other trends, the Giants believe in overstocking the dline and coming at you in waves and they have stuck to that philosophy.

I think to be successful, you need to stay true to what you believe is a winning formula.

An interior rusher would allow us to leave another guy in coverage vs 3 step drop teams.

I don't think it's just 3 step drop teams, but teams who rather see that as a weakness and use it against us. Why risk 5 or 7 steps when you can not get killed and get yards with 3 steps? That's what Josh M. failed to do in the superbowl.

I don't think the DL would help. You would need to zone blitz, and drop the end in curl zone, or have better CBs to break up the pass. But the slant is a big time weapon against the DL. We saw this against GB.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't think it's just 3 step drop teams, but teams who rather see that as a weakness and use it against us. Why risk 5 or 7 steps when you can not get killed and get yards with 3 steps? That's what Josh M. failed to do in the superbowl.

I don't think the DL would help. You would need to zone blitz, and drop the end in curl zone, or have better CBs to break up the pass. But the slant is a big time weapon against the DL. We saw this against GB.

The thing is, you can't assume you're always going to be in a 3 step drop. You're going to be in situations where you see 3rd and long, no matter how many 3 step drops you do.

Zone blitzing and the 46 are the 2 principles I like the most. In that GB game, we got killed when Rodgers actually held onto the ball and made plays outside the pocket. We ran a ton of Cover 3 against them.

I am not denying that we need fast linebackers more than we need an interior rusher, but we do still need an interior rusher.

DOMINATEtheline
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
I tell you what guys, the more I look at Cameron Heyward, the more I'm digging him with our 1st. The guy is a stud.

I know he's more of a 34 End than he is a DT, but I think he'll thrive in either scheme. Especially with Tuck and Osi on the edges. Plus he's scheme diverse, which is always a plus in case we do move to a 34 later on.

He reminds me of Richard Seymour, and Seymour is a beast in either scheme.

I'm starting to get on the Cameron Heyward bandwagon. I'm really digging his game.

He would be BPA at 19 too, at least I'm assuming so.

Hey man! I'm been doing some hw on DTs. Heyward-a matchup problem in the interior cause of his long arms, heavy violent hand use, good technique and good anchor. The versatility at 6-5 280-285lbs is crazy! He can come in a be our 3rd DT and spell either Tuck or Osi and provide Fewell with some crazy defensive line formations! And more importantly we are safeguarding potential injuries, what happens if osi goes down or god forbid tuck!
Here are the DTs that got my attn:
Paea
Ligeut
Jenkins
Powe
I'll give my notes on them later...

OSUGiants17
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Would anyone here be upset with us trading down or maybe even out of the 1st entirely(and getting a 1st next year)? I feel like unless Amukamara(unlikely) or Ingram or some other stud is there we trade down. I feel as if this is a week OT class, no C is worth a 1st round pick, and DT and OLB are not round 1 needs.

OSUGiants17
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
BTW Cameron is good but I feel like he is a bit of a luxury, don't get me wrong me of all people would absolutely LOVE to see an OSU player go to the G-Men especially a favorite of mine like Heyward. I would rather trade down and try and get him later on.

BaLLiN
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
1st two rounds:

1.Von Miller SLB Texas A&M

I know this means that we're drafting a guy thats similar to Sintim in the way that he's almost 1 dimensional, but Miller had experience in coverage and does fairly well in zone. He's speedy, so knowing our DL coaching maybe we can help out his passrushing repertoire?

2. Marcus Cannon RT TCU

This guy i would be ecstatic with, he is nimble enough on his feet to handle JJ Watt who is definitely a force to be reckoned with. He could very well be our RT, and a stopgap at LT possibly if need be.

bigbluedefense
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't mind trading our 1st for a future 1st. This seems like a pretty weak draft class.

Bc so many talented players came out last year, this year will feel the hangover from that.

I feel like there's going to be a lot of busts from this draft class. I can't imagine Reese doing that though. It's not his MO. He's a Bill Polian type, stay in your spot and go after a BPA that fills a need on the team.

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Would anyone here be upset with us trading down or maybe even out of the 1st entirely(and getting a 1st next year)? I feel like unless Amukamara(unlikely) or Ingram or some other stud is there we trade down. I feel as if this is a week OT class, no C is worth a 1st round pick, and DT and OLB are not round 1 needs.

Looking at the prelimenary draftboards pre Senior Bowl and pre Combine and our needs it looks like a good idea to trade down 10 or so spots and picking up an extra pick, but how about trading up? What are your thoughts?

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
1st two rounds:

1.Von Miller SLB Texas A&M

I know this means that we're drafting a guy thats similar to Sintim in the way that he's almost 1 dimensional, but Miller had experience in coverage and does fairly well in zone. He's speedy, so knowing our DL coaching maybe we can help out his passrushing repertoire?

2. Marcus Cannon RT TCU

This guy i would be ecstatic with, he is nimble enough on his feet to handle JJ Watt who is definitely a force to be reckoned with. He could very well be our RT, and a stopgap at LT possibly if need be.

Von Miller- I'm going to wait till the combine to see how he looks in the linebacker skill drills, I'll be looking closely at his pass drop and his backpedal, but a part of me is bias against 3-4 olb prospects coverting to the 4-3.

Marcus Cannon - I like him a lot, I wanna see his pass pro, I really like him because is big massive type, I want a strong POA type, someone that can engulf defenders on a regular basis. If he can play RT then he is someone we should consider, I bet the Reid and the Eagles have their eyes on him already!

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Giantsnation, If you were the GM and in charge of the NY Giants draft would you trade up into the top 10? who would you select? Who would you target? Why?

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd jump all over Pouncey in round 2 if he was there.

That would be GREAT! I seen him constantly at the 2nd level run blocking with some bad intent! I really like his physical makeup and tenacity!

scottyboy
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Giantsnation, If you were the GM and in charge of the NY Giants draft would you trade up into the top 10? who would you select? Who would you target? Why?

i wouldn't in this draft. last year my pipe dream was mortgage everything for Suh...totally unrealistic of course.
this year, eh. there are no real studs at positions we need. Yea, i'd pop a chub for Peterson, but there are no top 10 tackles for us, or studly linebackers. There are a million top DEs which right now, i would definately not trade up top 10 for one given our situation of the best DE rotation in the league.

Damix
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
scottyboy, Not Fairly?

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
i wouldn't in this draft. last year my pipe dream was mortgage everything for Suh...totally unrealistic of course.
this year, eh. there are no real studs at positions we need. Yea, i'd pop a chub for Peterson, but there are no top 10 tackles for us, or studly linebackers. There are a million top DEs which right now, i would definately not trade up top 10 for one given our situation of the best DE rotation in the league.

Yeah man! If we would pulled the Cofield trade I would of been all of for it! Make a good package deal and maybe even throw Sintim in there. I feel we need A GAME CHANGER, A BLUE CHIP player...I feel we have one of the most balanced rosters in the entire league, with good to above average players across the board, but we are lacking GAME CHANGERS...

I'll target Fairley and Peterson.

Giantsfan1080
01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Fairley is the only player I'd give up everything for. He's the perfect fit for our D-Line and plays with that nasty streak that I think this D needs.

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Fairley is the only player I'd give up everything for. He's the perfect fit for our D-Line and plays with that nasty streak that I think this D needs.

I agree! There is intimidation/fear factor that is missing from our D. I know we knocked out some QBs, but I want to DOMINATE our opponents on a consistent basis and I have always been emotional attached to our Defense... lol

What Fairley would do in a rotational basis in his rookie year with our DEs, could be monumental....

Stephen Paea is not a bad consolation price, what are your thoughts on him?

Giantsfan1080
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I actually like all the top Dt's this year. Fairley, Paea, Nevis, and Liuget.

bigbluedefense
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Fairley scares me a little. 1 year wonder. Had motivation issues. Character concerns. Even his own coaching staff was surprised how he emerged this year bc he had bad work ethic in the past.

Just a scary thought giving a guy like him that kind of money. He has some red flags.

DOMINATEtheline
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Fairley scares me a little. 1 year wonder. Had motivation issues. Character concerns. Even his own coaching staff was surprised how he emerged this year bc he had bad work ethic in the past.

Just a scary thought giving a guy like him that kind of money. He has some red flags.

I understand your concerns. We still got the combine and his interviews to further evaluate him. But, from the Sec games I saw this yr and the championship game, I LOVE fairley's makeup, and believe he has the biggest upside and game changing ability in this draft. Let our draft people dig deep into his past. However, Im telling you some BLUE CHIP players are droppin like flies on draft day cause of "character issues, look at Dez Bryant last year and Rey Maualuga the year before. Get my drift?

bigbluedefense
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
I understand your concerns. We still got the combine and his interviews to further evaluate him. But, from the Sec games I saw this yr and the championship game, I LOVE fairley's makeup, and believe he has the biggest upside and game changing ability in this draft. Let our draft people dig deep into his past. However, Im telling you some BLUE CHIP players are droppin like flies on draft day cause of "character issues, look at Dez Bryant last year and Rey Maualuga the year before. Get my drift?

That's true. If he starts slipping we should definitely give him a look.

OSUGiants17
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
We're not trading up anyways so it doesn't matter. Also, Fairley is a huge boom/bust guy IMO.

bigbluedefense
01-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I checked JJ Watt out, and I'm gonna say we pass on him. To me, Watt is purely a 5 tech, I don't see him succeeding inside in a 4-3.

Heyward is more of a 5 tech as well, but the difference is I think Heyward has the athleticism to move inside and he has more power. Plus when he played inside on some passing downs I liked what I saw out of him.

I just think Heyward can make the switch, but I think Watt would struggle with the switch.

So I'd say yes to Heyward, but no to Watt.

OSUGiants17
01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Yea after watching even more Cam Heyward clips, I am completely sold on him. I had a HUGE man-crush on him coming into the season and I still do. Seeing him inside with Joseph would be terrific. That's 3 maybe even 4 blockers taken already leaving Osi, Tuck or JPP with only 1 blocker to get past, not to mention what would happen if we blitz a LB. I feel like Heyward and Joseph would just create huge problems for opposing interior O-Lines.

OSUGiants17
01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
All though, I gotta say, the one thing that bothers me about that is it means that we let Cofield walk :'( I love Barry and I really want to see him come back, but unless we can get rid of Canty I don't see it happening.

bigbluedefense
01-22-2011, 11:11 AM
That's the missing ingredient on our dline. As great as our DEs are, they can be neutralized if you don't get that interior push. In the past Spags would move Tuck over to UT (for the life of me, I cannot understand why Sheridan and Fewell don't do this) to generate that interior push.

Getting that DT who can get it will really help this defense a lot. Next to LB, that's probably our second biggest need on defense. And with LB being so weak this year, it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a DT if the value is right.

scottyboy
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
scottyboy, Not Fairly?

eh, I like him a lot, but right now, I feel we have bigger needs on the OL and don't feel Fairly is worth giving up a lot for.

bigbluedefense
01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
This Martez Wilson...anyone know anything about him?

<===3
01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Whats this talk about 3-4 DEs for our scheme? Canty not enough for you?

I want Tyron Smith at LT.

OSUGiants17
01-22-2011, 09:57 PM
He is not just a 3-4 DE, he could also play 4-3 DT. And no Canty is not nearly enough for me. He had a great start and died down fast. He is looking like a SERIOUS bust signing. If we can't bring back Cofield there is no need not to draft Heyward if he is there. This is a weak class and with no glaring needs there is no reason not to take him.

BaLLiN
01-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Whats this talk about 3-4 DEs for our scheme? Canty not enough for you?

I want Tyron Smith at LT.

I agree, i don't like the whole 3-4 DE prospects to 4-3 DT's. However Adrian Clayborn as a DT in our defense would be pretty sick if he could be in a rotation.

I am very weary of Tyron Smith, he can have the best feet in this class, but is that saying much with how relatively weak it is? He also was RT at USC, and although he's ripped and athletic he doesnt have enough bulk to him (imo) to handle NFL passrushers just yet. Marcus Cannon looks like a better fit for us, and in the second round we could get our future RT. And leave LT to Beatty or Andrews or a future draft pick.

bigbluedefense
01-24-2011, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't touch Tyron Smith. He screams bust to me.

Canty has been a disappointment, there is no question about that. All we can do is hope that he continues to develop as a DT in a 43 and that he builds up enough stamina to hold up throughout the season. He started the season out a good 15 lbs heavier than he ended the season. When he was heavier he was stoute vs the run and a real anchor on th dline. He looked very impressive. But then he lost a good amount of weight during the year and couldn't hold up. He looked mediocre after losing weight and ended the season on a disappointing note.

Anyone know anything about this Martez Wilson? I see he's climbing up draft boards, but I have nothing on the guy.

scottyboy
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
if Grant walks we NEED Joe Lefeged. and there is literally nothing any of you can say to make me think otherwise

bigbluedefense
01-24-2011, 02:57 PM
What about Casey Matthews? I admit the only time I saw him was the championship game. You figure he'll bring great motor and work ethic to the position. He's no Clay of course, but hey, you never know.

DOMINATEtheline
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
if Grant walks we NEED Joe Lefeged. and there is literally nothing any of you can say to make me think otherwise

I didn't catch any rutgers games this year, how is he? I see he returns kicks so thats a plus...can you provide us with a lil scouting report? : )

Giantsfan1080
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Lefeged would be a very good Deon Grant type of S. He's better at stopping the run right now but he has some potential against the pass as well. I'd have him at SS but we use our safties interchangeably.

bigbluedefense
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
We only used Grant like that bc our linebackers suck and that was their alternative to getting more speed on the field.

The proper solution is to get better linebackers. Get 2 of em in an ideal world. I like Goff, but we need a quicker MIKE. And we desperately need a better SAM, move Sintim permanently to DE before it's too late.

And Boley, grow some stones and play more violently. He's too finesse sometimes. He's our best LB and he's obviously not going anywhere, but I want to see more aggression out of the guy.

DOMINATEtheline
01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Lefeged would be a very good Deon Grant type of S. He's better at stopping the run right now but he has some potential against the pass as well. I'd have him at SS but we use our safties interchangeably.

Not bad, especially he can contribute in special teams. Thnx

DOMINATEtheline
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
We only used Grant like that bc our linebackers suck and that was their alternative to getting more speed on the field.

The proper solution is to get better linebackers. Get 2 of em in an ideal world. I like Goff, but we need a quicker MIKE. And we desperately need a better SAM, move Sintim permanently to DE before it's too late.

And Boley, grow some stones and play more violently. He's too finesse sometimes. He's our best LB and he's obviously not going anywhere, but I want to see more aggression out of the guy.

Man I hear you! I wanted Maualuga so bad...he was exactly what we need at MIKE. I hope Reese and Company do their due diligence through the draft and free agency to at least make our Lb corps above average! If we can get Greenway so way....Boley is gettin a lot $$$ for his substandard production

bigbluedefense
01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
We got Nicks though, so it is what it is. Rey went before Sintim, or else I'm sure we wouldve took Rey over Sintim.

At the time Sintim looked like a great pick. He fit Spag's defense, and it seemed like we were going to use him as a DE on passing downs. Then the system changed, we drafted JPP and still had Osi and Kiwi, and plans changed.

Sintim can still become a player, I'd recommend we end the LB experiment and just move him to full time DE. We'll need him there once Kiwi is gone, he can be our 4th DE. I just don't see him working as a 4-3 LB anymore. Maybe he proves me wrong who knows, but so far, I'm skeptical.

bigbluedefense
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Btw guys, Gabe Carimi looked like a boss today at the Senior Bowl practices.

It's not too late to hop onto the bandwagon.

Forenci
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM

According to JBond, he was absolutely horrible in the first Senior Bowl practice. To the point where coaches "reemed him" three times (JBond's words!).

Will be interesting to see if he bounces back or we might have a chance to get him as an UDFA.

Giantsfan1080
01-25-2011, 06:53 AM
According to JBond, he was absolutely horrible in the first Senior Bowl practice. To the point where coaches "reemed him" three times (JBond's words!).

Will be interesting to see if he bounces back or we might have a chance to get him as an UDFA.

You don't take one practice and judge someone based on that. Lefeged also had an INT to end the day. Even if he did have a bad week you still have plenty of tape on him. I've been saying all along he'll probably be about a 5th rounder. I don't think there's any chance he becomes a UDFA.

Carimi was excellent supposedly. Myabe he should be the pick for us.

DOMINATEtheline
01-25-2011, 08:47 AM
We got Nicks though, so it is what it is. Rey went before Sintim, or else I'm sure we wouldve took Rey over Sintim.

At the time Sintim looked like a great pick. He fit Spag's defense, and it seemed like we were going to use him as a DE on passing downs. Then the system changed, we drafted JPP and still had Osi and Kiwi, and plans changed.

Sintim can still become a player, I'd recommend we end the LB experiment and just move him to full time DE. We'll need him there once Kiwi is gone, he can be our 4th DE. I just don't see him working as a 4-3 LB anymore. Maybe he proves me wrong who knows, but so far, I'm skeptical.

I understand we got Sintim, but he doesn't fit as our SAM, it Is a project and still is, you're drafting a project in the early 2nd round? I like Reese and our drafting staff very much BUT I think they should target certain players and go aggressively after them. We are not a expansion team that need all our picks,they could of traded up for Maualuga and draft a projects in the latter rounds. Maualuga is a down hill, aggressive, violent, nasty Linebacker with above average pass coverage skills. In my opinion he's a blue chip MLB in a 4-3. He was exactly what we needed. I hope Sintim pans out, but its not lookin good.

I see that Carimi has looked good so far in the Senior Bowl...I really not that high on him. In fact, none of the top four tackles, the deal with Carimi is that i don't like his slow heavy feet in his pass pro. I rather take someone like Orlando Franklin from the U, I'm very high on him, I think he can be a top of line RT in a year or two with Pat Flaherty.

bigbluedefense
01-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm gonna disagree on Carimi. And to be honest, I agree that for the most part I don't like this OT class, of the ones I've seen so far Carimi is hte only one I like. I've been saying all along that he reminds me of Jake Long/Jordan Gross. I'm sticking with that, I think he's a baller. At this point I hope he's there at 19, bc if he keeps it up, he won't be.

DOMINATEtheline
01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm going to keep an eye on Carimi though...Jordan Gross/jake Long type, you got my attention, you think he can play LT at a high level? After this week we will have more info on him...

bigbluedefense
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm going to keep an eye on Carimi though...Jordan Gross/jake Long type, you got my attention, you think he can play LT at a high level? After this week we will have more info on him...

I absolutely think he can. I think scouts are selling him short, yes his feet aren't the best, but I've seen worse feet at LT in the NFL than Carimi.

I think at the very worst, this guy will be an absolute stud RT. And with the way we run the ball, he's a perfect fit with our oline.

DOMINATEtheline
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I absolutely think he can. I think scouts are selling him short, yes his feet aren't the best, but I've seen worse feet at LT in the NFL than Carimi.

I think at the very worst, this guy will be an absolute stud RT. And with the way we run the ball, he's a perfect fit with our oline.

One BIG plus I see off the bat is his arm length at 35 inch 1/4, at RT he can most def engulf people at the next level. You got a point on OTs that have terrible feet! They can still compensate with their long arms and brute strength to maul their opponent. Scouts sometimes are just looking for "ideal" measureables and traits...smh

Forenci
01-25-2011, 11:23 AM
You don't take one practice and judge someone based on that. Lefeged also had an INT to end the day. Even if he did have a bad week you still have plenty of tape on him. I've been saying all along he'll probably be about a 5th rounder. I don't think there's any chance he becomes a UDFA.

Carimi was excellent supposedly. Myabe he should be the pick for us.

Well, as I noted at the end of my post, he has a lot of time to bounce back. I'm not sure why you wouldn't think this wouldn't hurt his stock, though. We see every year players preform poorly and it can drastically hurt their stock. Especially for a guy who isn't particularly impressive to begin with.

That said, I'd still like to have him for depth. Never hurts to have a good in the box safety. Although I'm still quite afraid of getting another CC Brown.

bigbluedefense
01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
One BIG plus I see off the bat is his arm length at 35 inch 1/4, at RT he can most def engulf people at the next level. You got a point on OTs that have terrible feet! They can still compensate with their long arms and brute strength to maul their opponent. Scouts sometimes are just looking for "ideal" measureables and traits...smh

I don't blame them, I mean, at the end of the day that's part of the process, I just hope we look beyond that. Jake Long doesn't have the best feet in the world and he's arguably the best LT in the game right now.

What I love about Carimi is his brute strength. The guy just mauls you. And he has long arms. He's a stud as a run blocker and when I watch him in pass pro, he's more than adequate. He uses his strength to his advantage.

You can't bull rush him, even if you have him beat to the inside angle, he's too strong. So he compensates for his slow feet by taking a wide drop to combat the outside speed rush. If you try to dip and rip inside, he just stonewalls you with his strength. If you try to bullrush him, good luck, he'll laugh at you.

I've seen guys try to go wide to set him up, then dip and rip inside and it still doesn't work. What's special about Cam is even when he's off balance, he's so strong he can still fight you off.

I'll check him out more during the Senior Bowl, but to be honest, I'm pretty much already sold on him.

scottyboy
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Well I wouldn't say get lefeged to start obviously but he's a monster hitter and great run stuffer and excels on special teams which is a big plus

scottyboy
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
ok, now that i'm not in lecture and not on my ipod touch haha:
Lefeged has always been just ok in coverage. not his strong point but he's a very good athlete, strong, hard worker. His muscular and impressive weigh in shows that. He's very solid and a very good run stuffer. He's also got tons of potential and is pretty smart. The fact that he excels on special teams (both returning kicks and coverage and punt blocking ala McCourty) could help his stock very much so. I think right now he's nothing more than good depth and a very good special teamer. He's a reliable back up/3rd safety who will really pay off in special teams, which is why I'd like him.
He's also a turnover machine (as in causing them)

Forenci
01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm not so much worried about his on the field performance at the Senior Bowl, so much as the fact he was getting destroyed by the coaches for not paying attention and lacking focus.

Like I said, it's only one practice but it's not what you like to see.

bigbluedefense
01-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Reese did say that he was not pleased with the amount of big plays given up by the back end of the defense. Who knows, maybe we address DB sooner than we realize.

But who cares about Lefeged, he's just another stain on the sidewalk.

Umoro
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Ahmad Black in the 3rd round.

OSUGiants17
01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
In Reese We Trust!

This will be an interesting draft and FA this offseason to say the least

BaLLiN
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
So....

Sherrod, Carimi, or Miller?

Umoro
01-27-2011, 06:47 AM
So....

Sherrod, Carimi, or Miller?

Von Miller? He won't drop out of the top 15, imho.

bigbluedefense
01-27-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm iffy on Von Miller. First and foremost we have no chance bc he's shaping up to be a top 10 pick, but anyway, he's just too small to be a 3-4 LB and he's not skilled enough to play 4-3 LB. He's a tweener with high bust potential. I need to see more from him as a LB in a 4-3.

I'm all about Carimi right now. I'm warming up to Bruce Carter though.

Forenci
01-27-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm iffy on Von Miller. First and foremost we have no chance bc he's shaping up to be a top 10 pick, but anyway, he's just too small to be a 3-4 LB and he's not skilled enough to play 4-3 LB. He's a tweener with high bust potential. I need to see more from him as a LB in a 4-3.

I'm all about Carimi right now. I'm warming up to Bruce Carter though.

Mayock was actually saying Miller look pretty good in coverage drills and could potentially be a weakside LB in the 4-3. Not sure if I buy it, but it is interesting.

I like Carimi a lot and his first two days were great, but he did seem to struggle a little yesterday from what they were saying on the NFLN broadcast. I still think he's a RT, but I've warmed up to the possibility of him being able to play LT at the next level. Nate Solder has look really good too and I think he is a much better projection to left tackle with his pass blocking skills. Sherrod as well.

A guy I'm REALLY high now is Mason Foster. He's apparently look really good in coverage drills and sheds tackles like a monster. If we were going to take a LB I'd probably go with him.

BaLLiN
01-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Mayock was actually saying Miller look pretty good in coverage drills and could potentially be a weakside LB in the 4-3. Not sure if I buy it, but it is interesting.
He's pretty good in coverage, his main faults come with his inability to bullrush and press the pocket, or even do so much as a simple swim or rip instead of trying to run past the OL. He'd be a pretty good fit for what we need. A aggressive rush linebacker who also can do well in coverage.

I like Carimi a lot and his first two days were great...I still think he's a RT, but I've warmed up to the possibility of him being able to play LT

Feel the same way

Nate Solder has look really good too and I think he is a much better projection to left tackle with his pass blocking skills. Sherrod as well.

I don't like Solder, he's tall, bad technique, and not really all too strong it seems. He doesn't have a mean streak at all imo, i don't like him for some reason. Whereas Sherrod is starting to look like the guy for us.

Maybe its just this draft class being incredibly weak, but he doesn't look like a top 10 pick with the lackluster year he had, and how undeveloped he is as a passrusher (which is his biggest asset)

(10 characters)

bigbluedefense
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Good posts guys.

I keep hearing about Mason Foster. Im dying to see him during the game this Saturday. He could be the guy.

The thing with Von is, I just don't want us to take on another project. I want a traditional linebacker. We have enough pass rushers, now it's time to get some quick nasty linebackers.

BaLLiN
01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Good posts guys.

I keep hearing about Mason Foster. Im dying to see him during the game this Saturday. He could be the guy.

The thing with Von is, I just don't want us to take on another project. I want a traditional linebacker. We have enough pass rushers, now it's time to get some quick nasty linebackers.

Yeah, Mason foster displays alot of heart. There was one play that really made me 'wow' probably the second to last regular season game he chased down a guy who looked like he was gone and even had some blockers in front.

Miller would definitely be a project, as is JPP. But there are things that will allow Miller to be effective although he's not a finished product (just as JPP did this season). He has good speed, agility, and is an above average tackler. He has the abilities to improve on his assets, but right away he can contribute. I hope that our DL coach and other passrushers can help him improve his hand use and give him some more moves.

The reason why we would need to add a LB who can rush the passer is that we dont become predictable, we sent our safeties waaaay too often. This was probably because none of our linebackers were effective at doing that.

But BBD what is your opinion on Carter and Sturdivant? both of them seem pretty solid, i didnt get to see much of them.

scottyboy
01-27-2011, 09:54 AM
yeah, right now, my top 3 are:

Carimi
Foster
Lefeged

wait, what?

but Foster is growing on me too. very active LB who seems to have a lot of heart. I'd be perfectly fine with him or Carimi, because if Carimi could play LT, we could easily have:

Carimi-Diehl-C-Snee-McKenzie

with the center being drafted, signed, or Richie.

Forenci
01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Poor Scottyboy, still delusional thinking Joe Lefeged doesn't suck.

scottyboy
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! i don't see a uconn player at the senior bowl!
/me wins.

but focus mainly on Carimi and Foster plz, because i am totally correct there.

but lefeged in the 6th would be win

Forenci
01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! i don't see a uconn player at the senior bowl!
/me wins.

but focus mainly on Carimi and Foster plz, because i am totally correct there.

but lefeged in the 6th would be win

cough, except for Lawrence Wilson who by all reports has looked really solid there.

I do like Carimi and Foster, though. I don't think Foster is a first rounder, and I'm not sure he'd last to our second round pick.

scottyboy
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
except Wilson sucks and is dumb and lame.

Foster could sneak into the first, and I'm thinking Carimi might not be there for our pick.
I guy I always liked, but now have come to love is Demarco Murray. BIG fan of his.

scottyboy
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
reading up more, i REALLY like Carimi, Foster and Murray.
i wish there was a way we could get all 3. Idk i Murray will last til round 3...or Foster lasting to our 2nd rounder...orrr Carimi to our 1st haha

bigbluedefense
01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
reading up more, i REALLY like Carimi, Foster and Murray.
i wish there was a way we could get all 3. Idk i Murray will last til round 3...or Foster lasting to our 2nd rounder...orrr Carimi to our 1st haha

I've been pimping Murray for awhile now. Mayock doesn't have him in his top 5 RBs, so who knows. Maybe he can slip. I think Murray would kill it in our system.

Yeah, Mason foster displays alot of heart. There was one play that really made me 'wow' probably the second to last regular season game he chased down a guy who looked like he was gone and even had some blockers in front.

Miller would definitely be a project, as is JPP. But there are things that will allow Miller to be effective although he's not a finished product (just as JPP did this season). He has good speed, agility, and is an above average tackler. He has the abilities to improve on his assets, but right away he can contribute. I hope that our DL coach and other passrushers can help him improve his hand use and give him some more moves.

The reason why we would need to add a LB who can rush the passer is that we dont become predictable, we sent our safeties waaaay too often. This was probably because none of our linebackers were effective at doing that.

But BBD what is your opinion on Carter and Sturdivant? both of them seem pretty solid, i didnt get to see much of them.

I'm warming up to both of them. Carter has quicker feet, so I'm more of a fan of his. Carter is basically prototypical, he has speed, good build, can tackle, can blitz, can cover well, he can flow through traffic and get the RB.

2 issues. 1 - Could do better shedding blocks. 2 - That knee...we don't know if he recovered.

Quan, he's kind of like Goff but a little faster. He's disciplined, stays in his gaps, never overpursues, great tackler, stays home in coverage, a guy who is good at everything but great at nothing.

I like Quan too, I want to see his 40 time.

scottyboy
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
yea, Murray behind our guys would be nice.
And I like Foster, his quick, active and a good leader. I think he'd fit with Boley and Goff quite nicely.
To me, there is no MIKE in this draft good enough to replace Goff

bigbluedefense
01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
yea, Murray behind our guys would be nice.
And I like Foster, his quick, active and a good leader. I think he'd fit with Boley and Goff quite nicely.
To me, there is no MIKE in this draft good enough to replace Goff

We need a MIKE though :(

I was hoping we could convert either Foster, or Carter to MIKE Jon Beason style.

scottyboy
01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
i wouldn't say we NEED a MIKE. Getting an upgrade at MIKE right now would be a luxury, not a dire need. Goff did a fine job. Nothing flashy, but wasn't a weak link out there at all. We won the super bowl starting Reggie Torbor, let's not forget about that haha. While a stud MIKE would be awesome to have, Goff is still a fine option out there, and we have other needs on the OL, perhaps RB, the secondary and maybe DT.

bigbluedefense
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
i wouldn't say we NEED a MIKE. Getting an upgrade at MIKE right now would be a luxury, not a dire need. Goff did a fine job. Nothing flashy, but wasn't a weak link out there at all. We won the super bowl starting Reggie Torbor, let's not forget about that haha. While a stud MIKE would be awesome to have, Goff is still a fine option out there, and we have other needs on the OL, perhaps RB, the secondary and maybe DT.

To be honest, Goff didn't even play MIKE for us. He played SAM. We came out with 3 safeties as our base, and had Grant run MIKE responsibilities, he did the deep middle drop, not Goff. Goff played an underneath zone.

And on passing downs, Goff got off the field. So he was a 2 down player who didn't even play a true MIKE for us on those 2 downs.

His job in the run game was to follow the FB no matter what. He was our thumper. I like Goff a lot and think he's good enough at MIKE in the right system, but under Fewell's system, we were limited with him on the field.

DOMINATEtheline
01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=bigbluedefense;2494802]I don't blame them, I mean, at the end of the day that's part of the process, I just hope we look beyond that. Jake Long doesn't have the best feet in the world and he's arguably the best LT in the game right now.

What I love about Carimi is his brute strength. The guy just mauls you. And he has long arms. He's a stud as a run blocker and when I watch him in pass pro, he's more than adequate. He uses his strength to his advantage.

You can't bull rush him, even if you have him beat to the inside angle, he's too strong. So he compensates for his slow feet by taking a wide drop to combat the outside speed rush. If you try to dip and rip inside, he just stonewalls you with his strength. If you try to bullrush him, good luck, he'll laugh at you.

I've seen guys try to go wide to set him up, then dip and rip inside and it still doesn't work. What's special about Cam is even when he's off balance, he's so strong he can still fight you off.

I'll check him out more during the Senior Bowl, but to be honest, I'm pretty much already sold on him.[/QUOTE

After further evaluation....You been spot on regarding Carimi! i believe at the very least he's a blue chip RT, he has that nasty attitude that like from linemen and with that frame he has and that arm length... I would be happy adding someone like for the intradivisional battles we have at the NFC east. We need to fortify the trenches...

You seen Foster! Man, everything I thought! A passionate football player with above average athleticism with great instincts and awareness. These are the type of defensive players we need to add to our current roster. Anybody else that has caught your interest from the Senior Bowl?

bigbluedefense
01-28-2011, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=bigbluedefense;2494802]I don't blame them, I mean, at the end of the day that's part of the process, I just hope we look beyond that. Jake Long doesn't have the best feet in the world and he's arguably the best LT in the game right now.

I'll check him out more during the Senior Bowl, but to be honest, I'm pretty much already sold on him.[/QUOTE

After further evaluation....You been spot on regarding Carimi! i believe at the very least he's a blue chip RT, he has that nasty attitude that like from linemen and with that frame he has and that arm length... I would be happy adding someone like for the intradivisional battles we have at the NFC east. We need to fortify the trenches...

You seen Foster! Man, everything I thought! A passionate football player with above average athleticism with great instincts and awareness. These are the type of defensive players we need to add to our current roster. Anybody else that has caught your interest from the Senior Bowl?

Not yet. I form most of my opinions off of the game. I know scouts weigh the practices more than the game, but I'm the opposite. I don't care much for practices. Some people are practice warriors and flop during the game and vice versa. To me it's all about how you perform on game day.

So I'll have a much better idea after I check the game out.

We're in a tough spot bc the guys I like aren't really going to be available on our picks unless we reach.

Carimi might not be there at 19, Foster would be a reach at 19 and won't be there for us in round 2.

Carter might not be there in round 2 and would be a reach at 19.

Centers would be a reach at 19.

It's tough, we'll see what happens.

DOMINATEtheline
01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=DOMINATEtheline;2499126]

Not yet. I form most of my opinions off of the game. I know scouts weigh the practices more than the game, but I'm the opposite. I don't care much for practices. Some people are practice warriors and flop during the game and vice versa. To me it's all about how you perform on game day.

So I'll have a much better idea after I check the game out.

We're in a tough spot bc the guys I like aren't really going to be available on our picks unless we reach.

Carimi might not be there at 19, Foster would be a reach at 19 and won't be there for us in round 2.

Carter might not be there in round 2 and would be a reach at 19.

Centers would be a reach at 19.

It's tough, we'll see what happens.

Not a bad method to have for evaluating the talent. I have a preconceived idea of the players I'm watching by the games I have seen them play during their college careers, I watch College Football, but I wasn't as consistent as years before. I value the practices (specially for small school prospects) cause their is NFL coaching on the field, I view the game as icing on the cake.

The way things are looking its looking for intelligent to trade down, oh well, can't wait for the game tomorrow and we got the combine next... : )

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm doing a 180 on Von Miller. After watching him more, I've come to the realization that he reminds me of Lawrence Timmons an awful lot. And I'm a HUGE Timmons fan.

Move up in the draft, and get this guy. Plug him in at WILL, and we'll finally have that impact linebacker we've been looking for. This guy is a monster. He's fast, he's violent, he can blitz like nobody's business, he can drop in coverage, he can flow to the ball and make plays in the run game, he can drop his hips, he can run downhill and sideline to sideline, he's the total package.

I want to see him play 4-3 LB today. If he passes the eyeball test, we need to move up and get him. Quite honestly, I think he'll be a bust as a 3-4 LB, he's not big enough and he's not a phonebooth guy who can take on olinemen with regularity.

He might have to sit a year and develop slowly, but he's worth it if he passes the eyeball test today.

If the Giants are serious about getting an impact linebacker, he could be our guy, if they're willing to move up and get him.

This is all depending on how he looks today though.

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm warming up to John Moffit as well. Interior linemen from Wisconsin. He looks great at Guard, and he has played Center too.

Mayock is saying he's a smart guy with versatility who'll be a 10 year starter in this league. Sounds like a good guy to grab in the middle rounds at Center if we can't grab a guy in round 2.

4 year starter too. That's impressive.

Forenci
01-29-2011, 08:17 AM
The thing about Miller is he could go REALLY high in draft so trading up to get him may not be a possibility. I'd be all for it because the way he comes off the edge is dynamic and I do think he has the ability to cover and stop the run at a solid/effective level.

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 08:30 AM
1. Carolina - I doubt they take him
2. Denver - Don't see them taking a 4-3 OLB with the 2nd pick (they'll run a 4-3)
3. Buffalo - Possibility. But Maybin's failures could scare them away
4. Cinncy - They won't take him
5. Arizona - Possibly. But Quinn is a safer pick.
6. Cleveland - Won't. They're running a 4-3 and will probably go dline.
7. San Fran - I see them taking a CB or Qb.
8. Tennesee - No
9. Dallas - I see CB in their future

So while it's a possibility he does go early, it's also a possibility that he falls into the 10 spot, which is a doable trade from 19.

I think once teams overanalyze his game tape, they might be a little cautious about him, bc he is a project after all. Especially 3-4 teams, he's just not big enough to be a 3-4 LB right now, you're safer going after Quinn.

We'll see. If he starts to slip, we should consider it.

Again, that's if and only if he looks good today at LB.

Forenci
01-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Based off what Mayock was saying, all 32 teams will be taking a look close at him and he thinks he can certain play in the 4-3.

Your projection is also highly speculative. I could easily see him going to Buffalo, Arizona, Cleveland (we run a 4-3 and are interested in him, why wouldn't they?), San Fran and possibly even Dallas if Dareus/Prince/PP are gone.

Also, from what I've seen written, Fox said he may stick with the 3-4.

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 09:38 AM
The thing is, I highly doubt a team who picks in the top 10 would invest a top 10 pick in a 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

So to me, the teams that would select him there would be teams who view him as a 3-4 OLB. 2 teams realistically are a possibility in this scenario, Arizona and Buffalo.

We would consider moving there for him as an impact 4-3 OLB bc we're pretty much desperate for LB help. And ownership has made it known that they want an impact linebacker.

And we don't have as many holes as other teams, so I can see us going after him if ownership pushes the LB card hard enough.

Forenci
01-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I would be for it because I really like Miller (seems like a great guy too), but I have always disliked the idea of trading a second round pick. They're just too valuable in the draft today. You can get first round talent deep into the second round.

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I know. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Chances are we wouldn't do it anyway. Reese isn't a guy who likes moving around and giving picks away. He loves his picks too much.

scottyboy
01-29-2011, 10:07 AM
i just don't think we move up for Miller, hell, are we giving up on Sintim? Whats the teams viewpoint with him?
and although it's not a top heavy OT draft, we could be in PRIME position to grab one at 19. I think Carimi might be there, but so will guys like Castonzo and even maybe a guy like Tyron Smith and Solder or Sherrod. There's a good chance we can get our pick of OT's at 19. Or at least probably 3 of them, since I don't see many teams reaching on them early on

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Me personally, I just want us to move Sintim to full time DE and end the experiment. He just has no place in Fewell's system. It's such a waste of his talents.

Yeah, we will definitely have a quality OT on the board at 19. The question is if the Giants will go after him, or do they believe in Beatty? We'll see.

scottyboy
01-29-2011, 11:23 AM
those are the 2 key guys: Sintim and Beatty. How do we feel about them?
And even if we like Beatty as a future starter, grabbing one of those tackles at 19 would be good value and could be waiting in the wings to replace McKenzie (who actually showed no signs of slowing down last year, but still)

Forenci
01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I think regardless of Beatty they should go after an OT, and I'm not sure it says much about Beatty one way or the other if they do. At the worst, we still need a future RT as McKenzie's years are limited. Either Beatty can play that role, or the OT we draft can.

bigbluedefense
01-29-2011, 12:04 PM
That's why Carimi is so perfect for us. If he pans out at LT, we have a monster run blocking left side.

If he doesn't, you throw him at RT and watch him become an all pro there. And if Beatty pans out at LT, we have bookends for years to come.

scottyboy
01-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Beatty-Diehl-center-Snee-Carimi

mmmmmm

Forenci
01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm kind of interested see what Tyron Smith does at the combine too. There have been conflicting reports about his weight, but if he comes in at 300, can prove some strength with the bench press, and show he still has his footwork and quickness, he could be a stud. Granted, if he does that he'll probably be a top 10 pick.

Solder is pretty interesting too. He's pretty boom or bust, but he's got by far the biggest upside of any of the tackles with his size.

OSUGiants17
01-29-2011, 01:20 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/1/29/1963109/2011-senior-bowl-new-york-giants-fans-viewing-guide

interesting read

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm officially on the Von Miller bandwagon. I want him on the Giants.

Put him at WILL, and just watch him beast it. Move up and get him Reese, we've been clamoring for an elite linebacker forever, this is your guy.

He's everything Reese loves in a linebacker too. He's a pass rusher, he's fast, he's violent, he's smooth and has such fluid hips, he can cover, he can tackle, he's everything we want and need in a LB.

I'd trade the farm for Von Miller. If not, we have plenty of other options of course, but my preference right now is trade a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up and get Von Miller.

OSUGiants17
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Reese will not give up that much. I would love Miller as well but unless we see him drop out of the top 10, we need to stay put. If he falls out of the top 10, then try and make a move(keeping as many picks as possible). Reese loves to find talent in the draft and with us already being short 1 pick, he will not give away another 2.

BaLLiN
02-01-2011, 04:00 PM

Put him at WILL, and just watch him beast it. Move up and get him Reese, we've been clamoring for an elite linebacker forever, this is your guy.

He's everything Reese loves in a linebacker too. He's a pass rusher, he's fast, he's violent, he's smooth and has such fluid hips, he can cover, he can tackle, he's everything we want and need in a LB.

I'd trade the farm for Von Miller. If not, we have plenty of other options of course, but my preference right now is trade a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up and get Von Miller.

I told you so BBD!! Welcome! He has all the physical skills, maybe not fluid enough to handle runningbacks man to man, but a weapon nonetheless. I don't see the top 5 hype however. He's being blown up way too much right now, although he'll probably run well at the combine.

I've been seeing him as a 15-20 guy, but senior bowl and combine will probably bring him to 10-15 imo. He's a good fit for Fewell i feel, and allows us some diversity with playcalling. I think he could play SAM as well, although he isn't exactly the greatest at shedding blocks or being stout at the point of attack.

If we draft him, he instantly improves our defense. Bulluck and Goff aren't the best we can get, but at least Goff was serviceable. Boley is disappointing, not sticking to his contain assignments often, we should get two linebackers unless we decide that Sintim can get at it this season.

1. (trade up no more than 5 spaces give up 3rd/4th) Von Miller LB
2. Marcus Cannon OL
3. Muhammed Wilkerson DT
6. Jamie Harper RB
7. Tejay Johnson S

Miller and Cannon could contribute within their first seasons, even Wilkerson. I liked most of what I saw from Harper and Johnson of the few times ive seen them.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I like Boley honestly. He hasn't been everything I hoped for, but in Fewell's system his job is to chase the TE, and he does a good job of it.

Remember, under Fewell Boley is our SAM, so we have a vacated spot at WILL, where Miller would fit in perfectly.

Even under a different scheme, we can just keep Boley at SAM. He played SAM most of his career.

Just imagine a future defense with Miller at WILL, all our dlinemen, our secondary, and a 46 style attacking D?

That's worth giving up picks for. This is a weak draft, I think this is a draft you can afford to go quality over quantity.

Besides, we're a deep team anyway.

Forenci
02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
There is an excellent chance Miller goes in the top 5 (especially if he adds some more weight before the combine) so we'd have to give up a TON to get him.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't see why any 3-4 teams would want him though. He's really not a 3-4 LB at all. Not at the NFL level at least.

I'm sure he'll pack on weight, but the eye in the sky doesn't lie. The guy will become another Aaron Maybin if you try to make him a 3-4 OLB, and simply isn't stoute enough to play 3-4 ILB.

scottyboy
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
No way Wilkerson will be there in the 3rd for us.
Also, yea, I like Miller, but this is such a deep OT and DT class, I think we can grab a good OT at 19 and DT in round 2. I think we'll be fine at OLB. We have bigger needs and I think we'll be fine at OLB

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I just want a linebacker so bad. I'm just tired of all these stop gap/mid round LBs on this team. We need a damn linebacker.

But yeah, the smart move is to stay home and build the rest of our team. Our pick is actually a great position in this draft. A quality OT will be there at 19.

Forenci
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't see why any 3-4 teams would want him though. He's really not a 3-4 LB at all. Not at the NFL level at least.

I'm sure he'll pack on weight, but the eye in the sky doesn't lie. The guy will become another Aaron Maybin if you try to make him a 3-4 OLB, and simply isn't stoute enough to play 3-4 ILB.

Eh? Most teams were strictly looking at him as a 3-4 OLB before the Senior Bowl. It was only afterward that more people starting to view him as a potential 4-3 OLB.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Eh? Most teams were strictly looking at him as a 3-4 OLB before the Senior Bowl. It was only afterward that more people starting to view him as a potential 4-3 OLB.

It's bc he was essentially a 3-4 LB in college. But when you break him down, he's just too raw and undersized to be a 3-4 guy.

His core strength is no where near where it has to be for him to become a 3-4 LB.

I don't doubt that a 3-4 team drafts him though. His potential alone will enamour every team in the league, regardless of what defense you run.

BaLLiN
02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
It's bc he was essentially a 3-4 LB in college. But when you break him down, he's just too raw and undersized to be a 3-4 guy.

His core strength is no where near where it has to be for him to become a 3-4 LB.

I don't doubt that a 3-4 team drafts him though. His potential alone will enamour every team in the league, regardless of what defense you run.

I don't think its so much that he cannot be a 3-4 LB, its more of the view on how much better he would fair in a 4-3 where he wouldn't have to line up directly on a OL, use his speed and quickness to avoid blockers by disguising his blitz. With Our DL the way it is, a passrushing LB would provide such a versatile look and the openings are there due to how beastly we are up front.

One thing we need to do is either retain Cofield, or make a FA signing of Brandon Membane, Anthony Adams, or Eric Foster (yes scotty, that eric foster). I like all of their games, would be very happy to land any of them. I dont feel like drafting a DT and trying to have them play right away.

About Sintim, i remember when i was criticized for saying Sintim was too stiff in his hips to be a good enough in coverage, but we still haven't really seen him in action. His passrushing skills are still there, I don't think we should write him off as a situational guy just yet. I still think we'd be a pretty epic 3-4 team.

DE- Justin Tuck, Joseph
NT- Draft or FA/Joseph
DE- Canty, Kiwi
OLB- JPP, Sintim
OLB- Miller, Osi
ILB- Boley, Dillard
ILB- Goff, Blackburn

we certainly have the passrushers, we just dont have the ILB's or the depth on the DL.

scottyboy
02-02-2011, 09:17 AM
if we sign Eric Foster, we win the super bowl next year.
well, unless we put him at 3-4 nose, that would be disasterous. But I'm assuming you're just making 2 seperate points there

DOMINATEtheline
02-02-2011, 09:17 AM

I did some HW and with the Senior Bowl. Ballin was right!!! V Miller as a Will will be a Terror in a 4-3 system, he has the fluid hips to really cover rbs and tes all the only issue is that he is raw in pass coverage but the physical tools are there. I thought B. Carter was the only LB who could provide us with a dynamic playmaking backer, but I was wrong. I'm all for doing a power move of this sort. Hopefully Reese understands that he has a very balanced roster with good to above average players and a BLUE CHIP player is needed.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I like Carter. I like Foster. I just think Miller is above and beyond both of those guys.

All I could hope for at this point is Von doesn't gain any weight for the combine. That might scare some teams away.

I still like Herzlich. I think he goes in the 4th or later, he's worth the gamble to me. If we give him a year and he checks out medically, who knows.

Forenci
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I like Carter. I like Foster. I just think Miller is above and beyond both of those guys.

All I could hope for at this point is Von doesn't gain any weight for the combine. That might scare some teams away.

I still like Herzlich. I think he goes in the 4th or later, he's worth the gamble to me. If we give him a year and he checks out medically, who knows.

I think one of the only players we talked to at the Senior Bowl (reportedly) was Herzlich. I wouldn't mind him in the 4th or later, but he did look really slow out there during practices.

I think Miller will add some weight by the Combine, too. He seemed pretty pissed he didn't come in at a higher weight at the Senior Bowl.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I think one of the only players we talked to at the Senior Bowl (reportedly) was Herzlich. I wouldn't mind him in the 4th or later, but he did look really slow out there during practices.

I think Miller will add some weight by the Combine, too. He seemed pretty pissed he didn't come in at a higher weight at the Senior Bowl.

Herz isn't ready yet. He may never be ready, who knows. If he bombs the combine, I can see him going undrafted. I would give him a shot though. He's like the LB version of Tim Tebow as far as work ethic is concerned.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident Von will get up to 250. I can dream though.

DOMINATEtheline
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
My post senior bowl mock draft.
It’s time to fortify our O Line and Reese waited one year too long to do this.

1. Michael Pouncey OG/C 6-3 315lbs
Has the great combination of strength, power, balance and the long arms to hold the point of attack and be a complete interior lineman at the next level. The way he smashes people in the 2nd level is overlooked somehow, this is the SEC and he is in the perimeter taking care of business. He has the nasty competitive demeanor that I like in linemen. He's not at the level of his brother, but he’s just a notch below him.
Alternative: Corey Liget DT

2. Orlando Franklin OT/OG 6-6, 320lbs Miami
Our future RT. I really like this young man's upside and potential at the next level. In my opinion, the only difference from him and the other top OTs in this draft is technique, which could be taught and we got one of best positional coaches in Pat Flahery. The balance and agility that Franklin has at his size is amazing, this is what makes him so versatile. He’s strong and has a good anchor, which allows him to handle bull rushes. I remember seeing him hold his own against Gerald McCoy a couple of years back. He has that aggressive nasty demeanor I like again. With NFL positional coaching and one year under the tutelage of Kareem McKenzie and he would be ready to take over the RT in 2012.
Alternative: Mason Foster OLB

3. Sione Fua 6-1, 310 Stanford
First and foremost, stout against the run, wide as house but still plays with great leverage. Blue collar, high motor player! Really like what this player brings to the table. Very good at the Point of Attack, and holds up very well, this will open things for Goff to shoot the gaps. This is a very good upgrade from Rocky Bernard who most likely is gone. Very underrated as a pass rusher. I don’t like teams running the ball on us PERIOD!
Alternative: Danny Watkins OG Baylor

4. Kendrick Burney 5-9, 181 North Carolina cb
If he were 6 ft he would be a sure fire 1st round pick! Aggressive and confident, Instinctive, fast “undersized” cb with good ball skills. His height and “off the field” stuff will most likely make him drop should be ready to cover slot receivers from day 1.
Alternative: Lawrence Wilson 6-1, 225 UConn lob

6. Adrian Molden 6-2 230lbs Maryland
Fast, aggressive fast flowing OLB with a high motor. A player I like very much,
Alternative: • Korey Lindsey CB Southern Illinois

7. Craig Cooper RB 5-10 200lbs
Excellent all round back with explosiveness and good hands. A steal at this point! Can provide a special team boast from day 1.
Alternative: Noel Devine RB

1. I feel that Reese and company waited a year too long to fortify the offensive trenches. I think it’s imperative we do this, we need some youth infusion there, let Pat Flahery mold this young guys into dominant complete NFL linemen. It’s time to move on. I think we need to dominate in the trenches and everything else will fall into place. Most of that yardage that Bradshaw got last year was more indicative of this skill set and type of runner he is, not necessarily the offensive line, our run blocking was very inconsistent last year, our pass protection was good under the circumstances though. Fua; a DT that takes up blockers and is superb against the run, another option would be mind signing a Vet like Pat Williams, so he can provide that bulk and offer tutelage to a young Linvel Joseph.

2. I think the Giants should sign James Anderson OLB of the panthers to shore our Lb corps. Another option is Mason Foster who I believe is one of the top 4-3 OLBs in this draft and one of the most underrated players in this upcoming draft. I really like what he brings, the passion, the high motor and the instincts. I see Lance Briggs in him, just a football player! With above average athleticism but superb intangibles. If we can double up on Olbs, one through free agency and one through the draft that would be great!

3. We need another CB that can handle the slot receivers and can be a potential starter in 2012. Ross was torched playing slot receivers this year, someone with aggressiveness and fluid hips.

Any comments and contructive criticism, please feel free! If anybody out there as any mocks please share! LETS GO GIANTS!

bigbluedefense
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Basically, your preference if we stay home with our picks is going Center in the 1st and OT in the 2nd.

I want us to go OT in the 1st and Center in the 2nd bc I feel the values of each position are better that way.

But I like it. I'm gonna check out this kid from Miami when I get the chance.

I like the idea of us getting another anchor on the dline too. Fewell's system requires both DTs to play 2 gaps, they're both basically NTs. There is no UT in our defense.

So from that standpoint, it would do us some good if we got another big anchor. Those 2 guys swallowing the run by themselves would be great.

DOMINATEtheline
02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Ideally would like to trade 5 or so spots down and pick up an extra pick, but staying put right now. lol

Its not so much preference its the player that intrigues me (Pouncey) what he would do for our interior O line, would be awesome.

The NT-I was thinking why do we need a pass rushing DT for? What happens when those pass rushing DTs get blown off the ball? Let tuck, osi, jpp and sintim get all that glory, lets get a wall in the middle, remember Keith Hamilton...I miss that guy! For example, look what the Vikings have done the last 5 yrs plus with the Williams Wall, I know Kevin Williams is not a NT, but hes a big 3 Tech. I think people are going to be surprised with young Linval Josephs short area quickness and explosion, I think he can be a big 3 tech. the best of both worlds! All he needs to do is play with good leverage consistently. Imagine making teams teams one dimensional without even stepping on the field a la Steelers but out of a 4-3 base defense!!!

Hopefully this CBA BS is works out. Well after free agency the additions and the subtractions we can sort out our draftboards more clearly.

Do you have a mock to share?

Forenci
02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Basically, your preference if we stay home with our picks is going Center in the 1st and OT in the 2nd.

I want us to go OT in the 1st and Center in the 2nd bc I feel the values of each position are better that way.

But I like it. I'm gonna check out this kid from Miami when I get the chance.

I like the idea of us getting another anchor on the dline too. Fewell's system requires both DTs to play 2 gaps, they're both basically NTs. There is no UT in our defense.

So from that standpoint, it would do us some good if we got another big anchor. Those 2 guys swallowing the run by themselves would be great.

Eh, I really don't like any of the centers in the second round. I think we should just go BPA from that point on, as Ross tends to do.

Scottyboy and I are actually having an awesome forum mock where we've gotten Gabe Carimi in the first, Christian Ballard in the second and Jordan Todman in the 3rd. (props to scotty for the latter two picks!)

If that happened I would do back flips.

Also, if Phil Taylor were to last to our second pick I would draft him in a heart beat. He has some potentially big character concerns but the man is 330 pounds and carries his weight VERY well. Not to mention he dominated the Senior Bowl. Would give us great scheme versatility if we ever decided to switch to a 3-4 too.

DOMINATEtheline
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Eh, I really don't like any of the centers in the second round. I think we should just go BPA from that point on, as Ross tends to do.

Scottyboy and I are actually having an awesome forum mock where we've gotten Gabe Carimi in the first, Christian Ballard in the second and Jordan Todman in the 3rd. (props to scotty for the latter two picks!)

If that happened I would do back flips.

Also, if Phil Taylor were to last to our second pick I would draft him in a heart beat. He has some potentially big character concerns but the man is 330 pounds and carries his weight VERY well. Not to mention he dominated the Senior Bowl. Would give us great scheme versatility if we ever decided to switch to a 3-4 too.

Man, can I get a spot on one these forum mocks?

Phil Taylor, all the hogwash about character problems, he can anchor and engulf people. I think a big massive DT would do wonders for us! I really like Powe from Ole Miss!

scottyboy
02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
hey dominate, just check the fenikz mock and feel free to pm me and forenci with ideas/suggestions. we bounce ideas off each other and stuff

DOMINATEtheline
02-03-2011, 03:03 PM
hey dominate, just check the fenikz mock and feel free to pm me and forenci with ideas/suggestions. we bounce ideas off each other and stuff

Hey scotty,
Cool! Sounds good! Appreciate the response... I love exchanging ideas its enriching. Whats your post senior mock like?

scottyboy
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
well what forenci and I pulled off in the forum mock is pretty ideal to me. I'm on the Carimi bandwagon big time. I'd LOVE him in the first, and the 2nd would be fine with grabbing a DT like Ballard or Nevis. 3rd round...I want O'Dowd. I also prefer Murray to Todman, but Murray was gone...and Forenci peer pressured me to take Todman. If I had to make a dream mock it'd be something like:

1. Carimi
2. Ballard (who I've read a lot on recently and I'm falling in love)
3. O'Dowd
4. Not sure on specific players yet, but here's where I'd like a DB, or if Herzlich falls.
6 and 7, I'm not big on specifics this late, but I'd just love Lefeged in there like round 6. I'll have to do some research on some later round prospects.

Giantsfan1080
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Carimi, Nevis, and O'Dowd in the first 3 rounds would seriously give me a monster boner. I;d have to seek medical attention to soften back up.

Forenci
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Carimi, Nevis, and O'Dowd in the first 3 rounds would seriously give me a monster boner. I;d have to seek medical attention to soften back up.

Just think of CC Brown...it works for me every time.

I'm a huge Nevis fan too. Getting a guy like Ballard would be amazing too. He kind of reminds me of Geno Atkins but with more strength and better feet.

scottyboy
02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
i actually like Ballard more than Nevis now after reading up.

and Zak, imagine that, with Lefeged in the 6th!
BONERS!

Giantsfan1080
02-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Draft day boner party!!! Anyway the DT class is about the only good thing in this draft and I wasnt at least one of them in the first 2 rounds.

Nebula
02-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Too bad Nevis and O'Dowd aren't very good players

Forenci
02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Too bad Nevis and O'Dowd aren't very good players

Uhh, not sure what games you're watching but Nevis was superb this year. In some ways, I like him more than Fairley. Granted he's not as talented as Fairley but his motor is nonstop and he doesn't have the potential character concerns that Fairley does.

bigbluedefense
02-04-2011, 06:44 AM
I only saw Nevis once, during the bowl game. I wasn't impressed at all.

I know 1 game is not a fair sample size, but the bowl games are generally the best competition you go against all year, it's a level playing field or as close to it in college football, and he was very underwhelming in that game.

He just looked extremely mediocre in that game.

I'm not a Nevis fan.

Nebula
02-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I only saw Nevis once, during the bowl game. I wasn't impressed at all.

I know 1 game is not a fair sample size, but the bowl games are generally the best competition you go against all year, it's a level playing field or as close to it in college football, and he was very underwhelming in that game.

He just looked extremely mediocre in that game.

I'm not a Nevis fan.

I was essentially just going to repeat this exactly, lol

He really struggles against double teams as well. Its ok, but he gets dominated and pushed around against double teams and he got washed up a lot. Not all that physically gifted, and if he couldn't anchor in college I can't imagine him doing it against nfl offensive lineman that are stronger and more athletic

bigbluedefense
02-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I was essentially just going to repeat this exactly, lol

He really struggles against double teams as well. Its ok, but he gets dominated and pushed around against double teams and he got washed up a lot. Not all that physically gifted, and if he couldn't anchor in college I can't imagine him doing it against nfl offensive lineman that are stronger and more athletic

It also depends on Fewell and if he pushes hard for a DT as well. I've also been pushing for a DT, but I remembered recently that Fewell's system doesn't ask for a pass rushing DT.

The DTs in his system always occupy 2 gaps, and are meant to create a wall at the LOS to prevent RBs from finding holes. They are never asked to pass rush. In fact, if you see one of our DTs penetrating, chances are he's not doing his job and is abandoning his gaps.

So when we look at it from this standpoint, and also considering how we sub out DTs in our nickel defense anyway, the question becomes, do we really need a UT?

I still say yes, because there will be situations where you come out in a nickel defense with 2 DTs, and you can only rush 4 and you need that pass rushing DT inside to make it work. Look at the Packers for example, you can't come out with all DEs against them, and you can't blitz them, so against those teams you'd prefer to have a guy you can plug in at UT and rush against a spread set and create that interior push without blitzing.

But when we look at the system, the question becomes, is the UT in this system worth that big of an investment? A guy like Nevis is a 1st round kind of guy, do we invest that kind of pick in a guy who will ultimately just be a situational player that rotates in occasionally in Fewell's system?

I say no for now. Of course the draft board will ultimately dictate what we do, but for now, I have my eyes set on linebackers or olinemen early on. I say if we're going after a penetrating type of DT, we should spend a 3rd/4th on the guy. We can find an undersized DT who can rush in those rounds I believe.

FA and our depth at DT will also play a big role of course. Right now, we know we'll have Canty and Joseph. If Coffield is gone, which seems likely, that's a big blow, and Bernard sucks. So our depth is shakey at best.

Damix
02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I know you wish we had Atkins BBD :)

To be honest, I don't see Bernard as that bad of a player. Stretched in a lot of playing time, but definitely a solid rotation guy.

I do agree, I don't really see DT as a 1st round need, but more for depth purposes.

BTW, you wake up early BBD!

scottyboy
02-05-2011, 09:01 AM
All off-season I haven't been an advocate of a DT early, but I've read up on Iowa's Christian Ballard, and I REALLY like him. I'd be a big fan of his.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I know you wish we had Atkins BBD :)

To be honest, I don't see Bernard as that bad of a player. Stretched in a lot of playing time, but definitely a solid rotation guy.

I do agree, I don't really see DT as a 1st round need, but more for depth purposes.

BTW, you wake up early BBD!

You know it! That still stings me. Every time Geno makes a play I realize Dillard is inactive pretty much every game and Im like aaaaaaah!

Bernard is just out there. I admit he played better this year, but he's just out there. I'm sure he'll stay on the team bc we have so few DTs, but I would like to improve our depth if possible. I just don't want to spend a 1st on a DT is all. I say 3rd round or later.

Haha, yeah. Work. I'm up very early pretty much every day.

Rosebud
02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I'd be all aboard bringing in a DT this year to. I think we'll have Joseph coming in and maybe Cofield back, with Canty that's a 3 man rotation that we'd just need some occassional help resting, so it's not huge priority unless we lose cofield. But I'd love to see us get another high upside/high work ethic DT this year to groom for a year with some cameos. I just really think we need OL much worse. Between Sherrod and Carimi there's two really talented OTs who at worst would solidify our right side with snee for a decade, if we can snag one of those guys in the first I'll be cool with waiting to address the D. I think we could get by with a Koets/Seubert at Center if we could get someone to lockdown RT alongside Snee. With Diehl, Beatty, Petrus and Andrews I think we'll be able to put together a good enough left side of the line that could be awesome if Beatty breaks out.

That's my biggest concern alongside making sure our WRs are spending all of their time of in either labs or training with monks on some mountain to make themselves impervious to injury. Our D got really worn out as the season progressed because we had too many short drives.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
A big reason for those short drives is bc our run game has gone to the shitter. With Carimi in the 1st and O'Dowd in the 2nd, I think our oline would be sick again and we'd be able to run the ball like we did in 07.

If you think about it, additions to the oline indirectly makes our defense better too, so the smart move, despite my man crush for Von Miller, is being smart, staying home, and just stocking up on olinemen and getting our run game going again.

Go back to ground and pound.

Rosebud
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
A big reason for those short drives is bc our run game has gone to the shitter. With Carimi in the 1st and O'Dowd in the 2nd, I think our oline would be sick again and we'd be able to run the ball like we did in 07.

If you think about it, additions to the oline indirectly makes our defense better too, so the smart move, despite my man crush for Von Miller, is being smart, staying home, and just stocking up on olinemen and getting our run game going again.

Go back to ground and pound.

Yep, that's why Sherrod's been my #1 for the Gmen with Carimi at #2 since our season ended. If we can keep our WRs healthier and get a studly OL and by proxi running game again, our D gets to stay fresher and attack more without having to show as much of it's arsenal. Makes it easier to confuse teams when they don't get as many chances to feel you out. Our D can get better but it's already got enough talent to dominate if they're kept fresh and we keep teams from just getting chance after chance to try and pick it apart.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Yep, that's why Sherrod's been my #1 for the Gmen with Carimi at #2 since our season ended. If we can keep our WRs healthier and get a studly OL and by proxi running game again, our D gets to stay fresher and attack more without having to show as much of it's arsenal. Makes it easier to confuse teams when they don't get as many chances to feel you out. Our D can get better but it's already got enough talent to dominate if they're kept fresh and we keep teams from just getting chance after chance to try and pick it apart.

We still could use some linebackers though. I think our dline and secondary are fine, more than fine to be honest, but we need another linebacker.

I guess since trading the farm for Von isn't realistic, my 2nd wish is Mason Foster or Bruce Carter in the 2nd. That would push Center back 1 round though, which is risky.

Would O'Dowd fall to the 3rd? I think he might, but it's risking it.

My ideal mock, in a dream world is (if we don't get Von Miller)

1. Carimi OT
2. Foster LB
3. O'Dowd C

But realistically, Foster will be gone before we pick in the 2nd, and O'Dowd gone before we pick in the 3rd, so another scenario could be

1. Carimi OT
2. Carter LB
3. Ryan Bartholomew C

My mock of Bartholomew is strictly going off measurables. I haven't seen him play. Basically my round 3 guy is BPA at Center.

Rosebud
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Eh, if we can't O'Dowd or Wisniewski I'd rather just role with Seubert/Koets and maybe try Petrus out to. I don't think the guys available after that will have more talent than Koets or Petrus.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
We need a plan B though. Koets is coming off an ACL, Seuburt is getting old, and OHara is washed up.

We may have 3 bodies at Center, but all 3 could be mediocre or hurt. So throwing another body in there wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I'm all in favor of converting Petrus to C, but I don't think it's going to happen. I'd love for them to do that though.

Rosebud
02-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I think Seubert should be good to go, I guess it does depend on how Koets is doing with his recovery. I'm not so sure but I thought his situations wasn't all that terrible so he might not need the two years it took Osi to get back from his ACL. If he'll be back to 100% by the start of the season or even one of the earlier games I think we can expect him to be able to at least push Seubert for the job. Because in that case the time it takes him to get back 100% will be equivalent to what it'd take a rookie we take in the third or later to get up to speed.

I dunno if I'd put Petrus at C full time just because he very well might have to step in at OG if Diehl gets stuck out at OT, but I would start cross training petrus at all 3 interior positions so that if Koets re-injures himself or Seubert goes down we can toss him over and he won't be clueless. That way he can focus on becoming a better blocker all around, which he does still need, while starting to learn the nuances of the Center position without getting overwhelmed by it.

I know it's kind iffy but if I'm hearing good things about Koets' recovery, we don't sign anyone and we miss out on Wisniewski and O'Dowd I'd be okay with Seubert/Koets/Petrus. Especially if we've got the right side in beast mode like it would be with Snee-Sherrod/Carimi, then we add Diehl and Beatty on the left side our C's will have an easier job next year than last year.

Add some WR health and development, another RB and maybe Ahmad learning how to hold onto the ball and our O should be able to hold up through a season as a steady threat keeping our D from getting over-extended and wearing out. We're really one of the most balanced teams in the league in all respects so we've got to walk a fine line and really win as a team because more than most teams we're really dependent on all of the pieces doing their part. Which is why I've been praying for Fewell to convince Bobby April to leave Buffalo and join him in NY since we signed Fewell.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I think Seubert should be good to go, I guess it does depend on how Koets is doing with his recovery. I'm not so sure but I thought his situations wasn't all that terrible so he might not need the two years it took Osi to get back from his ACL. If he'll be back to 100% by the start of the season or even one of the earlier games I think we can expect him to be able to at least push Seubert for the job. Because in that case the time it takes him to get back 100% will be equivalent to what it'd take a rookie we take in the third or later to get up to speed.

I dunno if I'd put Petrus at C full time just because he very well might have to step in at OG if Diehl gets stuck out at OT, but I would start cross training petrus at all 3 interior positions so that if Koets re-injures himself or Seubert goes down we can toss him over and he won't be clueless. That way he can focus on becoming a better blocker all around, which he does still need, while starting to learn the nuances of the Center position without getting overwhelmed by it.

I know it's kind iffy but if I'm hearing good things about Koets' recovery, we don't sign anyone and we miss out on Wisniewski and O'Dowd I'd be okay with Seubert/Koets/Petrus. Especially if we've got the right side in beast mode like it would be with Snee-Sherrod/Carimi, then we add Diehl and Beatty on the left side our C's will have an easier job next year than last year.

Add some WR health and development, another RB and maybe Ahmad learning how to hold onto the ball and our O should be able to hold up through a season as a steady threat keeping our D from getting over-extended and wearing out. We're really one of the most balanced teams in the league in all respects so we've got to walk a fine line and really win as a team because more than most teams we're really dependent on all of the pieces doing their part. Which is why I've been praying for Fewell to convince Bobby April to leave Buffalo and join him in NY since we signed Fewell.

Bobby April coaches for the Eagles now.

It's pretty clear Coughlin isn't firing anyone on his staff. Once he heard he was safe, he gave everyone the middle finger.

That reminds me, we need a damn punt/kick returner. Our special teams needs to be a priority this offseason.

scottyboy
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
well Hixon said he's making very good progress and he was an EXCELLENT weapon on returns as well as being a good #4 WR.

And if Petrus could be our full time C...that'd be so so so so huge. A nasty mauler at C? and I'm all for moving him there full time. Beatty/Boothe can fill in fine in case of injury.

Rosebud
02-05-2011, 11:42 PM
I'd keep Petrus as a Guard primarily while we polish his blocking technique. Start introducing how to read a defense and make the calls, so that he knows what too look for on tape, but let him focus on cleaning up his footwork and pass blocking. Then if you have to, i.e. Koets and Seubert go down, you throw him in there, but otherwise let him wait til next year to focus on trying to win the starting spot.

scottyboy
02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
well see, Beatty's the wildcard. If we really think he can be a future starter at OT for us, we can draft a guy like Sherrod or Carimi and have them sit and wait. Petrus full time at C, and we could eventually have a Beatty-Diehl-Petrus-Snee-rookie this year line.

DOMINATEtheline
02-07-2011, 09:23 AM
well what forenci and I pulled off in the forum mock is pretty ideal to me. I'm on the Carimi bandwagon big time. I'd LOVE him in the first, and the 2nd would be fine with grabbing a DT like Ballard or Nevis. 3rd round...I want O'Dowd. I also prefer Murray to Todman, but Murray was gone...and Forenci peer pressured me to take Todman. If I had to make a dream mock it'd be something like:

1. Carimi
2. Ballard (who I've read a lot on recently and I'm falling in love)
3. O'Dowd
4. Not sure on specific players yet, but here's where I'd like a DB, or if Herzlich falls.
6 and 7, I'm not big on specifics this late, but I'd just love Lefeged in there like round 6. I'll have to do some research on some later round prospects.

I like your top two! I don't know about O Dowd, I have a bias towards linemen who are not strong at the POA. Maybe I need to look into him more. Ballard is an intriguing prospect, this DT class overall is full of very appealing players for our DT rotation. I don't know, but I want a Big DT that takes up two linemen, a run stuffer rather than a pass rusher, someone who can anchor from day 1. On another note, I think we need to look into these small school CBs.

DOMINATEtheline
02-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Small School CB prospects that I have my eye on:

Curtis Marsh CB/KR
Justin Rogers CB/KR, Richmond
Buster Skrine, CB/KR Tennessee Chattanooga
Anthony Gaitor, CB, Florida International

Especially the CBs with special teams potential, anybody has any tidbits or/and info on these players?

bigbluedefense
02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Thoughts on Mark Ingram? I'm warming up to the idea.

Giantsfan1080
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I like him but no. I don't want a RB in the first. It's a waste of resources.

DOMINATEtheline
02-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Personally, Im not that impressed with him. Too many carries and seems to be injury prone a bit. Not shifty enough more of a north to south. One rb that I like is the kid from Illinois-Leshoure, I think he is the most complete back in this draft. The problem is he ran the ball out of a spread offense and not a traditional offense.

Forenci
02-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I like him but no. I don't want a RB in the first. It's a waste of resources.

My thoughts too. I'm a huge Ingram fan but I'm not sure he's the type of back you spend a mid-first round pick on. We have too many other needs before RB. It would really just be a luxury pick, and we aren't really in the position to be addressing a luxury in the first round.

scottyboy
02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
if we grab a RB I want Murray in the 3rd or Dion Lewis late.

bigbluedefense
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I like Murray a lot.

No football is depressing. At least we got the Knicks this year.

Just like last year, I have no idea how this draft is gonna shape up for us.

OSUGiants17
02-08-2011, 08:18 AM
If Miller, and 2 of the top OTs are gone I say we take Ingram, but only if that's that case and I don't see that happening. Reese loves to go BPA that addresses a need(even a slight need if the player is a huge steal), so Ingram is not out of the question.

bigbluedefense
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I love me some Robert Quinn, but if the Giants draft Quinn, I'm going to be pissed.

I was all for JPP bc we actually needed a pass rusher, but no more DEs. Enough of that.

bigbluedefense
02-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I have a feeling most scouts have Bruce Carter rated higher than Mason Foster.

In fact, I think all the Carolina guys, Quinn, Carter, Quan, I think all 3 of em are rated higher by scouts than us fanboys.

I like all 3 too. If we needed a DE, I'd be all over the Quinn bandwagon.

Forenci
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

In fact, I think all the Carolina guys, Quinn, Carter, Quan, I think all 3 of em are rated higher by scouts than us fanboys.

I like all 3 too. If we needed a DE, I'd be all over the Quinn bandwagon.

I wouldn't mind Carter if we could land him in the second round. I think linebacker is so difficult to predict though. Unless you have a freak like Patrick Willis you just never know if a guy will explode in the NFL and be a stud.

I don't think Beason and Lofton were that highly considered (in terms of being big impact LBs) but they both panned out very well.

bigbluedefense
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't mind Carter if we could land him in the second round. I think linebacker is so difficult to predict though. Unless you have a freak like Patrick Willis you just never know if a guy will explode in the NFL and be a stud.

I don't think Beason and Lofton were that highly considered (in terms of being big impact LBs) but they both panned out very well.

That's all I really want. Give me a Beason or Lofton and I'll be a happy camper.

I feel like Carter or Foster can be that guy. One of em should be there in the 2nd round.

I'm coming around on Quan too.

And the thought of Greg Jones at WILL intrigues me. Not MIKE. But WILL, that might not be a terrible idea.

TACKLE
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Well Mason Foster was a significantly better than Bruce Carter throughout their careers. Carter is no doubt a great athlete, but has been an underachiever his whole career. Not to mention he now has a torn his ACL badly and has underwent ACL reconstruction surgery. Foster has played every LB spot in the 4-3 and played at a high level, had an AA worthy senior campaign, is an underrated athlete who is very fluid and was the most impressive LB at Senior Bowl. Foster is my guy in this draft so maybe I'm a bit bias but I would take him everyday over Carter.

bigbluedefense
02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd take Foster over Carter too. I just dont believe he has any chance of being there in the 2nd for us.

And I think taking him at 19 might be a reach. Carter is the more realistic option in round 2.

I'm thinking

A.
1. Carimi
2. Carter

or

B.
1. Foster
2. Best available Center/OT

I think the value is probably better with scenario A.

D-Unit
02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I'd take Foster over Carter too. I just dont believe he has any chance of being there in the 2nd for us.

And I think taking him at 19 might be a reach. Carter is the more realistic option in round 2.

I'm thinking

A.
1. Carimi
2. Carter

or

B.
1. Foster
2. Best available Center/OT

I think the value is probably better with scenario A.
Yeah, but I think you could sensibly go with Scenario C.

C.
1. Carimi
2. Foster

Just stay away from Nate Irving. ;)

DOMINATEtheline
02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Giants nation,
I have a question if WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy or RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois or Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor are available with our 53rd overall pick, would you consider any of these prospects? If yes, who would you pick up. I know it depends so what on our first round pick. These are three intriguing players that can drop for a lot of different reasons. What are your thoughts out there?

scottyboy
02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but I think you could sensibly go with Scenario C.

C.
1. Carimi
2. Foster

Just stay away from Nate Irving. ;)

listen, Carimi and Foster is my dream 1st 2 rounds, DONT TEASE ME!

and dominate, i'd be perfectly fine with Taylor at 53. He's an animal

keep me away from WR's, we should be fine there (especially if Smith stays).

Leshoure, I like, but I'm just not sold on us taking a RB round 2 unless it's far and away the BPA.

DOMINATEtheline
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I tell you this, I'm obsessed with a big space eating DT! If Phil Taylor would drop to us, that would be great. I mention Jernigan, just cause of the special teams impact he would have among other things. I think Leshore could be special, to be that big and fast with above average hands is totally absurd. Oh well, we got the combine coming, so we can get more data on all these prospects.

bigbluedefense
02-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I like Phil Taylor, but his troubles raise eyebrows.

I'm curious to see how Linval Joseph does, he was drafted to be our space eater. He looked great in the PS, but it was obvious he needed to fine tune his game.

DOMINATEtheline
02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Joseph-The strength and short area explosion he has at his size is ridiculous.If you have tape of the redskins game, he got in there and was pushing guards back 5 yards, as long as he plays with good leverage he should be very good, he has that weight room strength (Im a lifter, so I understand a bit) He has a strong core! Im expecting BIG TIME production from him in 2011.

My thinking with P. Taylor or any space eating DT is two fold: destroy the opponent's running game and occupy interior linemen to create more one on one opportunities for Tuck and company.

For example, The Vikings D Line
I have been telling one of my close knowledgeable football comrades for yrs that J. Allen was putting them big numbers excluding last year, because of the Williams WALL, J. Allen is a very good player but insert Osi or Tuck in with those tackles??

bigbluedefense
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
What happened to the Giants discussion thread?

Giantsfan1080
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I have no idea. I posted in it last night right before it broke. I hope it's not permanently erased.

bigbluedefense
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I'll bring it up to njx9 and see if we can get it back. If not, I guess we'll just have to start a new one. No big deal.

Giantsfan1080
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I hope it's not gone. I always love to go back and see how right or wrong we were on certain things.

Giantsfan1080
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Since we don't have a Giants discussion thread right now I'll just ask this here. Any interest in Shaun Rodgers?

bigbluedefense
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm intrigued by it. He's a turd, but he's a talented when motivated turd.

He's like a poor man's Haynesworth.

Giantsfan1080
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
We could get him for pretty cheap also I bet.

LonghornsLegend
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
For example, The Vikings D Line
I have been telling one of my close knowledgeable football comrades for yrs that J. Allen was putting them big numbers excluding last year, because of the Williams WALL, J. Allen is a very good player but insert Osi or Tuck in with those tackles??

In all fairness to Allen, his best season statistically was before he even got to Minnesota. He put up 15.5 sacks with KC with a bunch of crap on their defensive line and he was the only threat. He hasn't reached that total since he's went to Minnesota.

Rosebud
02-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Since we don't have a Giants discussion thread right now I'll just ask this here. Any interest in Shaun Rodgers?

I'd be game, Rogers would certainly be an upgrade from Rocky Bernard if his head wasn't firmly placed in his ass, in which case we could just cut his fat ass. If he were fired up with the oppurtunity our D could be monsterous again. Canty, Cofield, Joseph and Rogers with our Ends and DBs would mean a dominant D that teams couldn't wear down and exploit. It would basically come down to how he interviewed to see if he's worth a shot.

bigbluedefense
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
It seems like Rogers is going to the Skins. So it's a moot point anyway. And the Giants aren't going to make any FA moves until a new CBA is in place, so someone else seems likely to get him before we would even if we wanted him.

LonghornsLegend
02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
It seems like Rogers is going to the Skins. So it's a moot point anyway. And the Giants aren't going to make any FA moves until a new CBA is in place, so someone else seems likely to get him before we would even if we wanted him.

We were showing some interest in him too as Rob Ryan has been trying to get him here to re-unite. I think for the right price he's a good grab, but if Washington really wants him nobody else matters. They will probably go way over what I think he deserves, and I only wanted him for a solid price, not like an elite top 5 player.

bigbluedefense
02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
We were showing some interest in him too as Rob Ryan has been trying to get him here to re-unite. I think for the right price he's a good grab, but if Washington really wants him nobody else matters. They will probably go way over what I think he deserves, and I only wanted him for a solid price, not like an elite top 5 player.

Yeah. I'm intrigued by him, but he's like a fortune cookie, you just don't know what you're gonna get with him.

Knowing the culture in Washington, they'll wind up getting fat, lazy, unmotivated Shaun.

I think it could have worked in NYG and Dallas. If he lands in Washington, I'm almost positive he winds up being a dud. Washington has become the Raiders of the East.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Part of me still wants to trade the farm for Von Miller.

Von on our defense would be unstoppable. If Joseph and JPP pan out, which isn't unreasonable, and if we were to get Von, I don't see how you would be able to block our 5 man rushes.

Giantsfan1080
02-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Something scares me about Miller but I don't know what it is. I don't think I like this top 5-10 talk for him.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
He's definitely not worth a top 10 pick. He's benefitting from a very weak draft class.

But for us, he's worth an investment bc he would be so dynamic in our defense. We can afford to gamble on him if we really wanted to. He could bust for a lot of teams though.

One fault if you will of Fewell is, he loves blitzing the same player over and over. In Buffalo, he loved blitzing Kawika bc he was a good blitzer.

For us, he loved blitzing Rolle bc Rolle was a great blitzer. So Fewell has shown a history of taking his best blitzer and using him in that role very often.

Now imagine if we got Miller? Imagine him rushing out of the WILL spot with Tuck, Osi, JPP and Kiwi in front of him?

Or if we come with a zone blitz with Von and Rolle coming from the same side, similar to a Rex Ryan style blitz?

For us, I think Von is worth the investment. For most teams, I agree, he's risky.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't mind another CB either to be honest with you guys. CBs are like pass rushers, you can never have enough. Especially with the WR talent in our division, and with the league basically becoming a spread offense/passing league.

A very good CB will be there at 19. I'm assuming Prince and PP are gone, but Harris, Williams, and Smith will all easily be there.

I need to see more of the 3 to determine who I like the most. Truth be told, I haven't really scouted many CBs this year outside of PP, Prince, and I saw this one guy on A&M that I really really liked, but for some reason I forgot his name and #.

But that A&M kid, I liked him a lot. I'm not sure if he declared. He had a pick in the bowl game.

Giantsfan1080
02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
If we're just going to use him as a blitzer then Sintim would be fine for that.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Sintim was supposed to fill that role, but he seems too stiff to play a 4-3.

Von is soo fluid. He can blitz, but he's also shown he can drop in coverage, chase backs, drop in a zone. So we wouldn't use him just as a blitzer, he's a 3 down backer.

But on the money down, 3rd down, we could blitz him often.

scottyboy
02-14-2011, 01:45 PM
i feel like CB is pretty deep this year and we can grab a good talent in round 3

and with SO much DE talent this year, we're REALLY going to benefit. As many as like 8 or 9 DE's could go first round, which is awesome for us

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm so lost, I have no idea what we do.

At this point, I'm just going to evaluate players and see which ones I don't like. That way I know who to not root for. Bc we can go in so many different directions with this draft I just have no idea what to root for.

The guys I know I don't like as of right now:

-Nate Solder
-Tyron Smith
-Noel Devine

I don't know what to make of Martez Wilson. The guy has all the physical features you dream up of when thinking of a MIKE. He's big, long, tall, great speed and range.

But he's so raw as a MIKE, and he gets washed out of plays and let's plays come to him. I just don't know about him. You're intrigued bc of his stature, but you question how good of a football player he is.

He also has injury concerns.

D-Unit
02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Part of me still wants to trade the farm for Von Miller.

Von on our defense would be unstoppable. If Joseph and JPP pan out, which isn't unreasonable, and if we were to get Von, I don't see how you would be able to block our 5 man rushes.
That would be my worst nightmare.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
That would be my worst nightmare.

It would scare a lot of people. That's why I feel like it's almost worth it. He's the type of linebacker the Giants love too. The Giants love guys who can rush the passer, and he's versatile enough and fluid enough to play as a traditional linebacker as well.

If KP gets healthier in year 2 after his surgery, which isn't unreasonable either, and JPP and Joseph become what we hope they become, Boley stays healthy for a full year and ditto for Ross, we could have a nickel defense of:

LE: JPP
DT: Joseph on 1st and 2nd down, Canty on 3rd down
DT:Tuck
RE: Osi

LB: Boley
LB: Miller

CB: Webster
CB: Thomas
CB: Ross

S: KP
S: Rolle

I honestly don't see any weakness player wise with that defense if healthy and development of young guys continue. You have 2 safeties who can cover in man, play single high, and play zone. Both do well vs the run and Rolle is particularly good at blitzing.

You have 3 very good cover corners. 2 linebackers with range to cover, spy and blitz and probably the best nickel dline in the league.

That's why even though we have some questions along the oline, part of me wants to add that missing dynamic piece to our LB core that would take this defense to the next level. I think Miller would be that guy if we had the stones to move up for him.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
But then my brain kicks in and says

"Retool the oline = 08 caliber run game. And that gives the defense more rest, which makes them better, makes our passing game better, and probably makes our overall team better than 1 linebacker would. Plus 3 players is usually better than 1"

Then I start thinking Carimi in the 1st again.

D-Unit
02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
It would scare a lot of people. That's why I feel like it's almost worth it. He's the type of linebacker the Giants love too. The Giants love guys who can rush the passer, and he's versatile enough and fluid enough to play as a traditional linebacker as well.

If KP gets healthier in year 2 after his surgery, which isn't unreasonable either, and JPP and Joseph become what we hope they become, Boley stays healthy for a full year and ditto for Ross, we could have a nickel defense of:

LE: JPP
DT: Joseph on 1st and 2nd down, Canty on 3rd down
DT:Tuck
RE: Osi

LB: Boley
LB: Miller

CB: Webster
CB: Thomas
CB: Ross

S: KP
S: Rolle

I honestly don't see any weakness player wise with that defense if healthy and development of young guys continue. You have 2 safeties who can cover in man, play single high, and play zone. Both do well vs the run and Rolle is particularly good at blitzing.

You have 3 very good cover corners. 2 linebackers with range to cover, spy and blitz and probably the best nickel dline in the league.

That's why even though we have some questions along the oline, part of me wants to add that missing dynamic piece to our LB core that would take this defense to the next level. I think Miller would be that guy if we had the stones to move up for him.
Stop it. That's just tooooo Deadly! You just stop it right there, Mr. BBD.

This is what the Cowboys Nickel looks like...

1 guy rushes, and everybody else just watches him.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Stop it. That's just tooooo Deadly! You just stop it right there, Mr. BBD.

This is what the Cowboys Nickel looks like...

1 guy rushes, and everybody else just watches him.

Yeah but unfortunately for us, there's probably like a 1% chance of it happening.

If we're going to get an impact linebacker, chances are we're going to have to hope it comes from Mason Foster, Bruce Carter, Quan Stuadervant (sp), Mark Herzlich, or Martez Wilson.

Damix
02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm so lost, I have no idea what we do.

At this point, I'm just going to evaluate players and see which ones I don't like. That way I know who to not root for. Bc we can go in so many different directions with this draft I just have no idea what to root for.

The guys I know I don't like as of right now:

-Nate Solder
-Tyron Smith
-Noel Devine

I don't know what to make of Martez Wilson. The guy has all the physical features you dream up of when thinking of a MIKE. He's big, long, tall, great speed and range.

But he's so raw as a MIKE, and he gets washed out of plays and let's plays come to him. I just don't know about him. You're intrigued bc of his stature, but you question how good of a football player he is.

He also has injury concerns.

See no reason to dislike Devine. He'll be going late. I'd love him as a return prospect. As far as Smith and Solder... I don't really like either, but if we trade to the back of round 1, early round 2 and one is sitting there, I'd scoop them up.

I don't think both are ready to contribute in year one, but can be good players down the line, but its not like we play out rookies anyway.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Nate Irving is really starting to grow on me too. I'll throw his name in the hat.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 06:18 PM
See no reason to dislike Devine. He'll be going late. I'd love him as a return prospect. As far as Smith and Solder... I don't really like either, but if we trade to the back of round 1, early round 2 and one is sitting there, I'd scoop them up.

I don't think both are ready to contribute in year one, but can be good players down the line, but its not like we play out rookies anyway.

Depends which round. I can see him going 5th round, and I still feel that's too high.

Tyron scares me bc I just don't know if he'll have the work ethic once he hits the pros. He seems like a guy who is coming out early (he had no business declaring this year) bc he wants to cash out.

Solder just doesn't look good to me.

Forenci
02-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Depends which round. I can see him going 5th round, and I still feel that's too high.

Tyron scares me bc I just don't know if he'll have the work ethic once he hits the pros. He seems like a guy who is coming out early (he had no business declaring this year) bc he wants to cash out.

Solder just doesn't look good to me.

I'm not so sure about that. There is a very good chance he's a going to be a first round pick. I can't really knock a guy for coming out who has a great chance of going in the first round. Heck, if he weighs in at 304 at the combine like it's being reported there is every chance he could go top 10.

touchdownmaker
02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
There are a lot of good discussion points flying around. I too have been pondering a play for Von Miller. I think he is excellent but, if we were to get Miller, then what happens about filling the much needed depth on the OL and RB, DT and CB. I guess the biggest concern is what happens in our base 4-3 at LB? You can't have two WILLs on the field (Boley and Miller). I think we are OK at WILL, but we really need a MIKE and SAM. Its clear that we need to fill one of these spots in through FA. I think it would be great to bring in Greenway at the SAM and leave Goff in at MIKE. Maybe Posluzny at Mike and Goff at SAM? It would be interesting to see what Poz could do with an actually D-line opening gaps for him.

Any thoughts on Rocky McIntosh? Do you think he could be a Antonio Pierce 2.0? He could come cheap and he is pretty solid in the 4-3.

As for Camiri, it appears that he should be around in the second round. If we were to trade down, I would love to pick him up. He is one Nasty SOB.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Boley actually played SAM for us this year, not WILL. That's why Boley didn't make as many impact plays, his job was essentially to chase the TE all year.

But when you think about it, it worked. Bc this was the first year in a long long time that I can't remember us getting killed by the TE. Boley did a great job in his role.

Fewell's system is unique in how he lines up the dline and lb core. Traditional systems puts your run stuffers on the strong side and your pass rushers and coverage LBs on the weakside.

Fewell believes in having equal strength along both sides of the line. So he moves guys in different areas. He has the traditional WILL behind the LE and has him chase TEs. He puts the tradiitonal SAM behind the RE to make up for the RE's lack of run stuffing on the weakside.

And both DTs are basically 2 gap run stuffers. They form a wall at the point which allows the MIKE to shoot gaps and make tackles in the run game.

In a way, your "WILL" in Fewell's system, which he labels as the SAM, needs to be a great athlete bc he has to be strong and nasty in the run game, plus athletic enough to chase RBs out of the backfield and cover that underneath zone in a Tampa 2. We lacked that playmaker, and that was what hurt our defense the most.

That's what he traditionally wants to do. However, bc we didn't have the players in the LB core to do it, he went with a 3 Safety base later in the season. He had Grant as our MIKE, who did the deep drop in a Tampa 2 shell, and he had Goff play SAM, and Boley play WILL in our base.

If you notice, that's when our LB core started becoming a bigger liability and our defense started getting exposed. After the bye, for some reason Fewell went with more Tampa and Cover 3 looks, and used that 3 safety base to accomplish it, and that's when our defense started going south.

I don't really understand why he decided to switch things up like that, but I was disappointed that he did, and it's no coincidence that once we started running more of his Tampa style, our defense started dropping off.

The only explanation I can think of is bc he lacked faith in his "SAM", he decided that the 3 safety look would work better and decided to move in that direction.

We need 2 LBs on this team. A MIKE, and a "SAM". We can live with Goff, and don't get me wrong, I like Goff, but he can be upgraded as well.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm bored so here's my updated 7 round mock

1. Carimi OT
-Long term solution at RT at the worst, potentially a LT at best. Provides stability along our line. If he's an RT, that allows us to keep Diehl at LT or maybe Beatty at LT. If he's an LT, that allows us to kick Diehl in at LG or perhaps move him to RT, and Petrus to LG. If Beatty pans out, we have Beatty at LT, Carimi at RT, Diehl and Snee at G.

We have a hole at C, but with this mock draft, I'm gambling on Koets/Seuburt being good enough to hold us down at Center, so I'm not addressing the position.

2. Nate Irving MIKE
-Foster will be gone. So it's between Irving, Quan, Martez and Carter. I think Irving is the better prospect, and he can play MIKE. He's a fiery leader, something we're missing, and he's a hell of a football player. I think he'll make a great MIKE.

3. Best Available UT
-There isn't much of a need for undersized pass rushing UTs anymore in the NFL. They drop hard in the draft. Think about it, half the teams have no need for them at all on their draft board, which means only 16 teams even consider you each round. With so many other needs, a very good pass rushing UT will fall to this round. Whoever it is, I can't say for sure who it will be, but whoever it is, we should take him and get great value in round 3.

4. Greg Jones WILL/SAM
-Jones will drop hard bc he's tiny. However, when you watch him play, the guy is tough as nails and has decent speed too. The "SAM" in Fewell's defense needs to be athletic enough to play underneath zone plus chase RBs, but also tough enough to get dirty in the run game. While Jones may be too small to play MIKE, he can get the job done at SAM in Fewell's system, which lines up in the WILL spot in traditional defenses. Between Jones and Irving, we add toughness, tackling, and better range to our defense without sacrificing much in the run game.

5. Traded Away

6. Project Olinemen

7. Best Available RB

I think this mock gives us some stability along the oline, and gives a much needed boost to our LB core and our DT depth.

The key I looked for with our LBs is tackling ability. What separates our defense from the consistently elite defenses is range in the LB core, and tackling. Adding these 2 LBs adds much more range, and they're both great tacklers which makes a huge difference in today's world of YAC.

The addition of a UT gives our nickel defense more versatility. It also gives our 2 starting DTs more rest.

This draft I mocked is defense heavy, but honestly, I think outside of oline additions we're fine on offense. I'm gambling on the idea that some of our in house oline talent pans out, while making much needed upgrades to our LB core and dline on defense.

scottyboy
02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Not bad BBC but I'd like to grab a guy in the secondary at some point.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Not bad BBC but I'd like to grab a guy in the secondary at some point.

Me personally, I don't like taking CBs beyond the first 2 rounds. I feel that CB is a position where you must have elite athleticism to succeed, and generally, good CBs are hard to find beyond the first 2 rounds.

Sure, you find gems here and there, but generally, if you land a CB beyond round 2 he's either fast enough but not big enough, or big enough but not athletic enough.

scottyboy
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Or you could just grab lefeged in the 6th and everyone wins

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Ya know, if I was GM, I'd do that just for you. I'd make it a requirement we draft a rutgers player with our 7th round pick each year. Why not.

We'd have McCourty on the roster if we followed that rule.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Part of me is tempted that we go

1. Carimi
2. Nevis
3. Martez
4. Jones

And gamble on Martez developing his skills as a MIKE for a year on our bench. the guy has the body of Patrick Willis, but he's raw as a MIKE. Since we redshirt our rookies anyway, maybe getting a pass rusher like Nevis in the 2nd and gambling on Martez in the 3rd is a better gamble?

I dunno. I'm so lost.

scottyboy
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Ya know, if I was GM, I'd do that just for you. I'd make it a requirement we draft a rutgers player with our 7th round pick each year. Why not.

We'd have McCourty on the roster if we followed that rule.

I love you.

But I think I'd have a mock going like:

1. Carimi
2. Foster/Irving
3. O'Dowd/Center/DT/BPA
4. similar to 4 really, whatever we don't address there.
5. traded.
6. Dion Lewis
7. Joe Lefeged.

yay!

but it all really depends on who stays and who leaves in FA, which is tough

Giantsfan1080
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
The draft is going to be before FA this year also which is really going to mess everything up. Greedy owners and players.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I love you.

But I think I'd have a mock going like:

1. Carimi
2. Foster/Irving
3. O'Dowd/Center/DT/BPA
4. similar to 4 really, whatever we don't address there.
5. traded.
6. Dion Lewis
7. Joe Lefeged.

yay!

but it all really depends on who stays and who leaves in FA, which is tough

What's your thoughts on Greg Jones?

I like him as a guy we can plug in on the outside.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 12:36 PM
The draft is going to be before FA this year also which is really going to mess everything up. Greedy owners and players.

I like that in a way. It makes us focus on the draft a lot more. I'm not a huge fan of FA, I'd prefer we address everything in the draft, then if we land any FAs afterwards, that's just gravy on the top.

Giantsfan1080
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I like that in a way. It makes us focus on the draft a lot more. I'm not a huge fan of FA, I'd prefer we address everything in the draft, then if we land any FAs afterwards, that's just gravy on the top.

Yeah but you can still get good depth players in FA. You don't know what you're getting in that regard out of the draft. I guess it won't be a big deal though since after we draft we'll know even more what spots we need depth for.

scottyboy
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
What's your thoughts on Greg Jones?

I like him as a guy we can plug in on the outside.

as do I, but if we grabbed a Foster or Irving, I wouldn't see a need for him. I'm very content with Goff right now at MIKE. I think we grab an outside backer and use Sintim as more of just a rusher on passing downs. Jones is quick and seems to be a fiery, passionate guy, which is always nice and something we could use here. I'd really like to grab an OL for depth/future starting purposes or even to start this upcoming season.

again, if Cofield leaves, I'd want to look at Ballard or Nevis in round 2. If Smith leaves, we should look at a WR early-ish as well. Not a great TE class, but we might even make moves if Boss leaves for someone like Kyle Rudolph. If Bradshaw leaves, do we try and snag Ingram or Murray early? It's tough right meow, but I definately want an OL early on.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah but you can still get good depth players in FA. You don't know what you're getting in that regard out of the draft. I guess it won't be a big deal though since after we draft we'll know even more what spots we need depth for.

I think we're in a position as a team that we can focus on building our team exclusively through the draft, and then when FA arrives, we can resign our own FAs which we choose to keep, and just leave it at that.

We're not a team with a ton of holes, we just need to draft well and retain key FAs of ours and we'll be ok.

I think this effects other teams a lot more than it does us. It has almost no effect on the GBs, and Pittsburghs of the world who build almost exclusively through the draft.

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
as do I, but if we grabbed a Foster or Irving, I wouldn't see a need for him. I'm very content with Goff right now at MIKE. I think we grab an outside backer and use Sintim as more of just a rusher on passing downs. Jones is quick and seems to be a fiery, passionate guy, which is always nice and something we could use here. I'd really like to grab an OL for depth/future starting purposes or even to start this upcoming season.

again, if Cofield leaves, I'd want to look at Ballard or Nevis in round 2. If Smith leaves, we should look at a WR early-ish as well. Not a great TE class, but we might even make moves if Boss leaves for someone like Kyle Rudolph. If Bradshaw leaves, do we try and snag Ingram or Murray early? It's tough right meow, but I definately want an OL early on.

My thinking is, if we grab 2 linebackers, Jones and Irving, not only do we improve our LB core, but we also improve our special teams. The focus on good tackling LBs will pay dividends on STs as well.

I guess a big factor moving forward is how much the team believes in Beatty, Sintim, Beckum, and Goff moving forward.

Me personally, with Kiwi's health in question, I think we should move Sintim back to full time DE, and have him play the stand up pass rusher role in our "big base" defense in case Kiwi is a no go.

Goff, I like him as a solid backup and STer if we can land Irving and Jones.

Beatty...I don't know. That's why I want Carimi, it gives us flexibility along the oline.

Beckum...I don't know either. I say we offer Boss a decent contract, and if he walks for more money, we gamble with Beckum and Bear as our 2 TEs.

OSUGiants17
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Dream Draft:
Round 1: TRADE- 2011 1st, 3rd and Clint Sintim to Houston for Von Miller

Round 2: Stefen Wiesnewski(probs butchered this name hahah), C, Penn State

Round 4: Best CB or UT on our board

Round 6: If we go UT round four take a CB here and if we take a CB round four take a UT here

Round 7: Best RB on our board

bigbluedefense
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
If we were able to pull it off, a 1st, 3rd and Sintim for Von Miller would be very interesting.

I know I'd make that trade, but would Houston? That's assuming Von even falls that far, which I would doubt at this point.

OSUGiants17
02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
If he can't put on the weight and Prince drops to the Cowboys he could drop to 11. Houston is switching to a 3-4(from what I heard) and I have a feeling Sintim would work wonders for them and he may seem like less of a project for them then Miller.

Forenci
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I like the draft BBD but I think there is a good chance Irving goes in the first round. He is a guy who will supposedly blow up the combine and with the lack of MLB talent I could easily see him going in the top 25.