PDA

View Full Version : The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bigbluedefense
04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
It's never too early to talk about next year's draft.

My early guesses for our needs next year:

-oline
-RB
-MIKE

in that order.

Giantsfan1080
04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
That sounds about right to me. Maybe another CB if Ross proves to be hurt again.

bigbluedefense
04-26-2010, 10:27 AM
CB is definitely a possibility. This is a make or break year for Ross.

Giantsfan1080
04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Plus he's already 28 or 29. One of the main problems I had with that pick was the age factor.

bigbluedefense
04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Plus he's already 28 or 29. One of the main problems I had with that pick was the age factor.

He won't get signed past his rookie contract. That's almost a guarantee now that we have Thomas.

Now that I think of it, we might have to make an overhaul to our CB corp in a couple of years. Webster is about 28 as well.

Thats 2 more years of Ross and Web. We'll need 2 CBs in 2 years. Maybe we go after 1 this year and 1 next year.

LetsGoGiants!
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah we could snag Peterson in the first. That would be incredible!!

You know what would be kind of interesting is picking up Malcolm Smith, LB for USC. I believe he plays the inside, and he is the younger brother of our WR Steve Smith.

OSUGiants17
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
My dream pick is Pat Peterson.

Here is my BB:
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Gabe Carimi
3. Malcolm Smith
4. Mark Herzlich
5. Mike Pouncey
5a. Rodney Hudson

LetsGoGiants!
04-26-2010, 05:17 PM
My dream pick is Pat Peterson.

Here is my BB:
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Gabe Carimi
3. Malcolm Smith
4. Mark Herzlich
5. Mike Pouncey
5a. Rodney Hudson

Yeah, I agree. But it could all change over the next year. Except for wanting Peterson. :D

Big_Pete
04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Here are some guys I am keeping an eye on for 2011 in the first few rounds

DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina

ILB Greg Jones, Michigan State
ILB Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina
ILB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

C Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State

CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska

TE Weslye Saunders, South Carolina

Rosebud
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM

ILB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

TE Weslye Saunders, South Carolina

Marvin Austin is William Joseph 2.0, all the talent but lazy and unproductive.

LetsGoGiants!
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Actually Peterson might not even declare this year. On another topic, I read that he is cousins with Sinorice Moss? Anyone know if this is true or not?

OSUGiants17
04-26-2010, 09:07 PM

ILB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

TE Weslye Saunders, South CarolinaGreg Jones =/= NFL ILB, me and Sniper where talking, and he is right. Jones is too small to be a pro ilb, he will be a college ilb and pro will

OSUGiants17
04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Actually Peterson might not even declare this year. On another topic, I read that he is cousins with Sinorice Moss? Anyone know if this is true or not?

Yeah Sinorice and Santana are his cousins and so is Bryan McFadden

LetsGoGiants!
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Greg Jones is a beast though. I saw a couple Spartan games and he was all over the place.

OSUGiants17
04-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh hell yeah, the guy is an animal but he might not be best suited as a NFL ILB(at least in a 43 D), he would be better at WILL, he is sorta like Spoon was this year, he can be a play maker at multiple LB positions.

Rosebud
04-28-2010, 12:36 AM
I want a stud OL in this draft and another guy at DT, if a sweet LB is there as well that'll be awesome, but I want an OL number one and then LB or DT would be my second position of preference.

BaLLiN
05-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I want a stud OL in this draft and another guy at DT, if a sweet LB is there as well that'll be awesome, but I want an OL number one and then LB or DT would be my second position of preference.

i agree, i wanted Anthony Davis like tiger wanted to get laid. A runningback would be nice though, unless the stable shows something special. DT is not an early round need right now.

Rosebud
05-03-2010, 06:04 AM
i agree, i wanted Anthony Davis like tiger wanted to get laid. A runningback would be nice though, unless the stable shows something special. DT is not an early round need right now.

I like JPP a lot more than I did Davis, both have monster upside but with JPP I know he's going to bust his ass to make good on his potential even though he's rawer while with Davis he will be a better a rookie but there are some more troubling concerns.

I'd argue DT is still a high need, until Alford comes back 100% and breaks out our rotation can still be upgraded. I like the Joseph/Canty combo, but a quick UT who won't get washed out in the running game would be a really nice tough, I really wish we had pulled off the rumored Osi for 33 trade and grabbed Brian Price and then trade Cofield for a third to nab Bruce Campbell.

1. JPP
2a. Price
2b. Joseph
3a. Chad Jones
3b. Bruce Campbell
4. Dillard
5. Petrus
6. Tracy
7. Dodge

Would've left me ecstatic. Role with Kiwi and Tuck this year slipping JPP and Sintim as rotational edge guys. Fix our DT rotation and leave it loaded for the future. Then take the insurance policy for Kenny in Jones and add the massive potential Ash brings to the table at OT to eventually pair with Beatty. Day 3 could still go just like it did and we'd be loaded with C and CB as the only major needs/future needs.

Big_Pete
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Here is my early 2011 mock draft (29/04/2010) based on what I generally think the Giants will be looking for and my very early projections of where players will go

1. RB Mark Ingram, Alabama (5-10, 215, 4.48)

2. MLB Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina (6-2, 232, 4.56)

3. C Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State (6-3, 298, 5.16)

4. CB Charles Brown, North Carolina (5-10, 190, 4.48)

5. FB D.J. Williams, Arkansas (6-2, 250, 4.68)

6. T Rob McGill, Louisiana Tech (6-6, 310, 5.04)

7. TE Mike Ragone, Notre Dame (6-5, 252, 4.73

I think the Giants have considered the ILB draft class which has good talent and depth. These are the some of the better prospects next year:

Greg Jones ILB Michigan State (6-1, 224, 4.59)
Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina (6-2, 232, 4.56)
Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU (6-3, 239, 4.64)
Mike Mohamed ILB California (6-3, 237, 4.75)

Don'ta Hightower ILB Alabama (6-4, 250, 4.74)*
Chris Galippo ILB Southern California (6-2, 250, 4.74)*
Korey Williams ILB Southern Mississippi (6-2, 234, 4.65)*

plus OLBs who could possibly move to middle

Mark Herzlich OLB Boston College (6-4, 238, 4.68)
Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma (6-2, 232, 4.53)*
Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA (6-4, 252, 4.68)*

*denotes underclassmen

All of these guys fit the mold of the kind of ILB we want for Fewell's system. Whilst I am not certain we will go with a MLB in the first round, I do believe there is a good chance we get a MLB in the first couple of rounds next year.

Big_Pete
05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Greg Jones =/= NFL ILB, me and Sniper where talking, and he is right. Jones is too small to be a pro ilb, he will be a college ilb and pro will

I disagree

He is very much a similar size to guys like Jon Vilma, Jon Beason and DeMeco Ryans at similar stages of their college careers.

With the NFL strength and conditioning preparations, I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Jones got up to around 235lbs which is where Vilma, Beason and Ryans are playing.

He certainly wouldn't be a fit for all schemes, but he could play MLB in a system like Fewell seems to prefer. The key will be having the big anchor upfront to keep blockers off the MLB

BaLLiN
05-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I disagree

He is very much a similar size to guys like Jon Vilma, Jon Beason and DeMeco Ryans at similar stages of their college careers.

With the NFL strength and conditioning preparations, I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Jones got up to around 235lbs which is where Vilma, Beason and Ryans are playing.

He certainly wouldn't be a fit for all schemes, but he could play MLB in a system like Fewell seems to prefer. The key will be having the big anchor upfront to keep blockers off the MLB

He's about 10/15 pounds from consideration. It all depends on how he handles blockers for me, if he shows well then good ILB is an option, if not he's an OLB.

Anyone thoughts on getting Graig Cooper in mid/later rounds, i would get a massive boner.

Rosebud
05-04-2010, 02:40 AM
I'd love to see Wisniewski, O'Dowd or which ever OT falls become giants next april. We need a project at CB we can take our time with while web and Ross fade away and that means we don't have to spend a first on the position letting us continue to re-stock our one remaining important weakness, the OL outside of Diehl, Snee and Beatty.

BaLLiN
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM

me too, i loved him before i found out he was 24

LetsGoGiants!
09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, A lot of mocks have us going for Ryan Williams or Mark Ingram. What do you guys think? Do we need a RB with our first?

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
I think we probably should go offensive line. Center in particular.

We could probably use a linebacker too, and a TE.

BaLLiN
09-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Id much rather go with a LB or center like others have said, but i feel like our OL has gotten good depth so the only need is center and possibly RT. How has whimper looked to you guys?

I dont know what you guys are thinking but i feel like Shaun Andrews should be moved out to RT so we could get him to start (part of me believes he isn't a great pulling guard), move Beatty to LT and have:

Beatty-Diehl-O'hara-Snee-Andrews

I want Noel Devine, him and Bradshaw are very similar backs and having two low to the ground, quick, short, and elusive but still packing a punch backs are awesome for a quick line that we used to employ.

bigbluedefense
09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Right now I wouldn't make any assumptions about Beatty starting for us. From what he's shown us, he's not capable of being a starter right now, and until he makes some drastic changes, might never be one.

I like Andrews at either LG or RT. Personally, I think we move Diehl to RT, keep Andrews at LG, and either Beatty becomes our LT or we draft a LT.

Petrus is the wildcard here. I think he can be a starter at LG as early as next year, but if they move him to Center, then I don't know what to make of him.

I'm hoping we move him to center as a G/C dual lineman, that way we'd only have 1 hole along the oline at either LT or RT depending on how we want to move forward.

Giantsfan1080
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I love Kevin Boss but I want Kyle Rudolph on this team.

scottyboy
09-18-2010, 09:20 PM
we need to draft Joe Lefeged in the 3rd-4th round. end of thread.

Giantsfan1080
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
You really think he'll go that high Scotty? I was thinking 6th or 7th at this point but his stock can go up with a big year.

scottyboy
09-18-2010, 10:01 PM
I had the same inkling with McCourty last year how a good season, paired wit his great leadership, experience, special teams play, intangibles and good work outs would boost his stock. He went from about a 4th rounder to a 1st. Now Lefeged's is probably 7th-UFA right now, but I think he can boost it. Maybe not to 3rd-4th round status, but perhaps 4th-5th. He's athletic, hard hitter, special teams ace, can return kicks, is our captain etc. I've just got a great feeling with him.

Giantsfan1080
09-18-2010, 10:06 PM
That sounds about right. I'll get a better feeling about his draft stock when we start to play some "real" teams starting next weekend.

Forenci
09-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't know if we'll be picking high enough but if he some how fell to us (assuming he leaves early) I would love to get Ingram. He's such a stud. I really liked him all of last year as well. Some people have mixed feelings on how high he should go but he'd fit in so well with what we like to do. A perfect blend of size, power, and toughness.

But I guess it depends on what Bradshaw does too.

Giantsfan1080
09-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't think we need a RB especially in the 1st. We've already proved we can find RB's in the draft whenever or even pick them off other teams practice squads. I like Ingram a lot and he would fit with us but I'd rather not use a 1st on him. We're becoming more of a throwing offense anyway and Jacobs/Bradshaw should be fine.

Rosebud
09-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I love Kevin Boss but I want Kyle Rudolph on this team.

Isn't he a likely first rounder? IMO the first round pick needs to go to the OL, preferably a Center. With O'Dowd, Wisniewski and Pouncey coming out this is a strong and deep center class but I think one of our first two picks needs to be one of those guys and the other should be another DT, especially with Alford's getting cut we're really thin on young DTs after Joseph. The TE isn't a major weapon in our scheme and if we were to change the scheme I fully believe in Travis Beckum and think he'd do just as well as a receiver as Rudolph, plus he has a year more with Polk teaching him how to block, which can not be under-rated because of how great Polk is at teaching TEs to block, see Shockey, Jeremy or Boss, Kevin.

Beatty - Petrus/Andrews - O'Dowd/Wisniewski - Snee - Diehl is a OL I'd be ecstatic to have moving forward. Beatty still needs more strenght but technically he's a good run blocker and his quick and smooth feet make me so confident the kid will turn into a stud. With him and Diehl we have bookends going forward until proven otherwise, Snee's a stud, O'Dowd's going to be a stud and Wisniewski is going to be Shaun O'Hara, with Petrus and Andrews battling Seubert for LG we'd be set there as well. Give us the power to Run when we have to but still be able to let Eli just toss it around as we need.

I don't know if we'll be picking high enough but if he some how fell to us (assuming he leaves early) I would love to get Ingram. He's such a stud. I really liked him all of last year as well. Some people have mixed feelings on how high he should go but he'd fit in so well with what we like to do. A perfect blend of size, power, and toughness.

But I guess it depends on what Bradshaw does too.

I like Ingram a lot and wouldn't be upset with him but I played on the line and so will always have mad love for Lineman which is why I think we need to go center and DT early next year and look for a RB like Andre Brown was coming out in round 3 or 4, such a shame he didn't work out, at NCST he was like a rich man's Derick Ward.

Forenci
09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't know. I like Bradshaw a lot but I'm not confident he can be a full time (or 20 carries game) back. Jacobs ability to be a good runner is still up in the air. I think depending where we are picking if we could grab Ingram I'd be thrilled. He's the type of runner with such incredible vision he can make your entire offensive line better. Which isn't common in a RB.

We've got some needs to address, and it depends how things play out, but I'd love to have him. Assuming the swirling winds continue in the new stadium, we will always have need for a good running game.

Plus I won't lie, he seems like an awesome person and teammate. I love having players like him on the team.

Rosebud
09-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't know. I like Bradshaw a lot but I'm not confident he can be a full time (or 20 carries game) back. Jacobs ability to be a good runner is still up in the air. I think depending where we are picking if we could grab Ingram I'd be thrilled. He's the type of runner with such incredible vision he can make your entire offensive line better. Which isn't common in a RB.

We've got some needs to address, and it depends how things play out, but I'd love to have him. Assuming the swirling winds continue in the new stadium, we will always have need for a good running game.

Plus I won't lie, he seems like an awesome person and teammate. I love having players like him on the team.

Ingram would be nice, but as I explain above I have bigger concerns. Plus the thing with Bradshaw is he's so talented we don't necessarily need to pair him with a STUD, so while Ingram/Bradshaw may challenge Stewart/DeAngelo as the league's best duo Bradshaw and a midrounder behind a significantly better OL can be just as deadly and leaves more able to handle injuries.

Hell I'm with BBD in that if there's a good corner like TT available in round 2 or 3 I'd gladly take one of those, so between C, DT and CB I think we have bigger worries than a RB that high. Plus we could use another project at S since Chad Jones had his horrible accident and the duo of Phillips and Grant next to Rolle is very iffy long term as Grant could walk next season and Phillips' career could end at any point, another OLB would be solid to, since we only have 4 guys I'm fine with starting now that we cut Kehl, those being Boley, Goff, Sintim and Bulluck. Dillard is a question mark right now and we still don't have a backup WILL I'd trust taking all of Boley's responsibilities.

Then you consider a FB in case Beckum won't be moving to HB in a new, more passing role, another new DE as Osi or Kiwi could be gone next summer, another OT in case Beatty's unable to show progress due to injuries, and RB becomes a position we should bolster, but IMO isn't a position that we should spend a round one pick on unless there's literally no value at any of our other need positions.

Forenci
09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
I hear ya. I'm just not as confident as you guys in Bradshaw being a guy who can carry the load, or even the majority of it. I think he's more suited to fill the role like he did a few years ago. Coming in late during games to run by tired defenses. He was just so good at it. Plus I'm concerned whether or not he can stay healthy.

We have more pressing needs though, but I don't mind going BPA as we did last year.

Giantsfan1080
09-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I'd be fine with a CB in Round 1 or 2 depending on who's there. Rudolph probably is a late 1st rounder at this point maybe even higher as the draft gets closer. I love O'Dowd also so I'd be very happy with him as our choice. Isn't he supposed to go late 1st as well?

Rosebud
09-19-2010, 12:17 AM
I'd be fine with a CB in Round 1 or 2 depending on who's there. Rudolph probably is a late 1st rounder at this point maybe even higher as the draft gets closer. I love O'Dowd also so I'd be very happy with him as our choice. Isn't he supposed to go late 1st as well?

I really have no idea, at this point I'm just keeping track of prospects I think will become quality above average starters in the NFL, not where they are being mocked. IMO O'Dowd is the most impressive C in this class if he's healthy and so is worth drafting from the late teens on.

Giantsfan1080
09-19-2010, 12:19 AM
O'Dowd has been on my radar forever now and he seems like a perfect fit. He'll be on the top of my list come next April.

Forenci
09-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I like O'Dowd a lot too, but his injuries scare me a ton. If his health wasn't such an issue I'd be all for taking him in the first. If he stays injury free all season though I'd feel pretty good about it come draft day.

Rosebud
09-19-2010, 07:23 PM
I like O'Dowd a lot too, but his injuries scare me a ton. If his health wasn't such an issue I'd be all for taking him in the first. If he stays injury free all season though I'd feel pretty good about it come draft day.

We'll see what happens this year. If he's healthy I won't worry about it. He's gotten a lot of smaller nagging injuries and those aren't the ones you've got to worry about too much with prospects as a lot of guys who picked up 2 or 3 nagging injuries in college and then in the league had better luck.

bigbluedefense
09-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Both Tackle positions, and Center need to be upgraded in some way.

Also, we need another DT and CB. And backup Safety.

I'm hoping we convert Petrus to Center, sign Jared Gaither in FA, and roll with Andrews at RT while drafting a RT to develop behind him.

LetsGoGiants!
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Does Jacobs wanting out change our possible picks? We showed intrest in Spiller last draft and with one of our RBs going is it a possibility we go Ingram if available?

Forenci
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd love to get Ingram but after last nights game if our O-Line play doesn't improve we really need to re-load on the offensive line. I really don't have confidence in any our linemen, even Snee.

Rosebud
09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd love to get Ingram but after last nights game if our O-Line play doesn't improve we really need to re-load on the offensive line. I really don't have confidence in any our linemen, even Snee.

I'm pretty sure Snee is just banged up. I trust him going forward. I also trust Diehl as long he's not playing LT as our best OT, move him back inside to LG and you have a probowler on your hands, move him to RT because you've got a superior LT and he's a quality, dependable starter. Beatty has not blown us away but I really liked the kid as a prospect and although I had hoped he'd fill out quicker he has yet to do enough to get me to back off of my predictions for him. He's a tough kid who knows how to run block very well for someone who desperately lacks strength in the area, he's also got very quick feet and seems a good bright kid, I think if we switched to him for the rest of the year it wouldn't be ideal but we'd see a player who steadily progressed and was dependable by the playoffs should we make them.

OSUGiants17
09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
My dream draft:
1. Mark Ingram, RB
2. Stefen Wisniewski, OG/C
3. Chimdi Chekwa, CB
4. Travis Cobb, WR/RS
5. Karl Klug, DT
6. Owen Marecic, FB/ILB
7. Kai Forbath, K

Big_Pete
10-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Here is my current mock draft for next year

1. OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College (6-7, 295, 5.20)

2. CB Curtis Brown, Texas (6-0, 184, 4.50)

3. LB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU, (6-3, 240, 4.70)

4. TE/FB DJ Williams, Arkansas (6-2, 251, 4.62)

5. Traded to Minnesota for Sage Rosenfels, Darius Reynaud

6. RB Roy Helu, Nebraska (6-0, 220, 4.55)

7. RS Leon Berry, Mississippi St (6-0, 205, 4.50)

I don't see interior line as being a need. Koets looks like the future replacment for O'Hara and should be resigned. At guard we have Snee and Andrews, plus Seubert who has wound the clock back plus we have Petrus, Meredith and Boothe (if resigned).

DT is not a likely to be need. Canty is playing great football as is Cofield (who should be resigned), plus we have Bernard who has been solid plus we have Linval Joseph.

Wildcards could be DE or S depending on the injury prognosis of Matthias Kiwanuka and Chad Jones.

Bradshaw will likely be resigned and he is developing a good 1-2 punch with Jacobs. We could look to upgrade our #3 RB, but that won't be a priority.

I like the idea of TE DJ Williams at FB, but we have Pascoe already, if he continues to improve we are set, although we would still need a blocking TE.

A lot will depend on who is available. I wouldn't rule out a LB early if there is a particularly good talent available.

LB is a spot we could find good value. The jury is still out on Sintim, Wilkinson and Blackburn are free agents (although I expect Blackburn to be back) and while Bulluck may be resigned, he isn't young.

Morton
10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't see why the Giants need an OL in the draft any time soon. Isn't Shawn Andrews going to be the LT of the future?

Also, I think if Reese were to draft one of the elite CBs in 2011 it would take a good defense and just totally put it over the top. How amazing would the defense be with a Patrick Peterson or a Prince Amukamara?

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Most likely we won't have a shot at either of those two. The OL is the biggest concern right now. Nobody knows whether or not Andrew can play either T spot so to put all in his hands is a terrible idea. He isn't exactly the most mentally stable person.

Big_Pete
10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't see why the Giants need an OL in the draft any time soon. Isn't Shawn Andrews going to be the LT of the future?

Also, I think if Reese were to draft one of the elite CBs in 2011 it would take a good defense and just totally put it over the top. How amazing would the defense be with a Patrick Peterson or a Prince Amukamara?

I think Andrews will be our LG of the future.

I don't think Peterson or Amukamarra will be available when we pick. Also Curtis Brown is a very good prospect, just under the radar a lot.

Left tackle is an issue. Sure Beatty is in the wings, but he is unproven. Considering the problems Diehl is having in pass protection, he isn't likely to be the future either. I don't think Reese would pass on a possible franchise LT prospect is he thought one was available when we pick - That is our most obvious position of need.

Also note that Reese tends to draft a mix of offense and defense, he doesn't tend to go heavy either way. With Webster, Thomas and Ross CB is not an urgent issue

Rosebud
10-20-2010, 11:19 PM

As has been mentioned we just can't bank on Shawn Andrews unless he takes over LT and dominates for the rest of the season, even then I'd be iffy.

Personally I'm still a Beatty believer, he looked really good as a rookie and got very little burn before bowing out to injury this year. I remember him at Uconn and while he was always really skinny he was a very good run blocker who was great at getting to the second level and turning a good gain into a big play. Once he's bulked up and comfortable out there Beatty will be a very good OT and I think he'll end up getting that chance with us.

That said I want us to draft Sherrod in the first. He's a very well rounded prospect as he's got good feet to potentially play LT if Beatty busts, but he's also a really strong run blocker in the running game so he could be a stud RT if Beatty ends up working out.

With Sherrod and Beatty battling for LT, Andrews, Deihl or Sherrod at RT, Koets or a rookie or FA at C, Snee at RG and Petrus, Andrews or Diehl at LG. Our OL is suddenly a lot better.

As for CB I'd love to have another stud, but with Web and TT we've got a beastly duo and will need a replacement for Aaron Ross as the nickel guy who could eventually take over for C-web once age catches up with him.

I would like us to grab another DT at some point although FA might be the place to do that with a guy like Fred Evans whom BBD loves. I would like to see us bring in a power back to replace Jacobs as the #2 guy in the draft or FA.

Big_Pete
10-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Sherrod would be a great pickup. Problem is I think he will be gone before we pick.

Akeem Ayers is an interesting possibility

Rosebud
10-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Sherrod would be a great pickup. Problem is I think he will be gone before we pick.

Akeem Ayers is an interesting possibility

I dunno, Sherrod could take over as the #2 OT and end up going between 10 and 20, but right now I'm not sure. A lot of the tackles I like either fall or guy way above were I thought, so my guess would put him in the 20's and maybe even the top of round 2, although with this week OT class I doubt it unless he does something stupid.

As for Ayers, I disagree with a first round LB. Boley's a beast at WLB, Goff has Mike on lockdown and Sintim's very promising at SAM. Our LB needs a raw mid round Will to replace Wilkinson as Boley's backup/possible-future-replacement and the second Nickel Back.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Penn State Center Sefan W.

Let's not mess around and draft a center to groom. I don't mind going OT either. But one thing is for sure Andrews should be LG, get Rich S. out of there. So then put OC or OT. I don't see Koets as the long term option. Good replacement guy, but let's not waste time. I wanted Mangold before, and I wouldn't hesitate to draft a trench player for the OL.

Giantsfan1080
10-21-2010, 08:10 AM
If we put Andrews at LG where does that leave Diehl? RT?

NY+Giants=NYG
10-21-2010, 08:18 AM
If we put Andrews at LG where does that leave Diehl? RT?

Well that's the thing..Who is a better guard? Who has better potential? David D. or Andrews? If It's andrews, then that gets rid of David D. Is David D a better RT than KM then? If not, keep him at LT, unless we go best player available and go LT. If that guy is better in terms of potential than David D. then he will need to pick it up ASAP.

Giantsfan1080
10-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Diehl is probably better than Kareem at this point. Diehl is so underrated by us though it's funny. He plays every game, plays hurt, never says a bad thing, is a great leader and while he's not elite still gives us a great presence on the left side of the line throughout his career. I want Diehl on this team until he retires so wherever he fits best put him there.

scottyboy
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
diehl is fantastic because he can play LT, LG and RT. (RG too, but Snee is the mother ******* boss). He gives us a lot of flexibility.

I would like to see us go CB in this draft though. OL, maybe a DT and a CB. oh and Joe Lefeged.

bigbluedefense
10-21-2010, 09:42 AM
We're not getting rid of Diehl. No way. He can play 4 spots on the oline and he can play 2 of them at a PB level (LG and RG), and 1 of them at an above average level (RT).

I have no idea how we will shuffle our oline in the future, but Diehl and Snee are 2 guys that are definitely sticking around. Diehl is gonna stay in the starting lineup, I just have no idea which spot. It can be LT, LG, or RT.

bigbluedefense
10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't mind a CB. CBs are like DEs these days, you can never have too many of em. Especially with the spread offense becoming the norm.

I really want a TE though. I'm curious to see how Beckum develops, but even if he does, I don't know if he has the body type to be a true TE, so I'd probably still want a seam stretching TE.

BaLLiN
10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
1. Noel Devine RB
2. Quan Sturdivant ILB
3. Adrian Taylor DT
4. Kris O'Dowd C
5. Johnny Patrick CB
6. Mario Fanin FB/RB
7.---

Forenci
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Devine would be a horrid pick in the first round.

Big_Pete
10-30-2010, 06:59 PM
1. Noel Devine RB
2. Quan Sturdivant ILB
3. Adrian Taylor DT
4. Kris O'Dowd C
5. Johnny Patrick CB
6. Mario Fanin FB/RB
7.---
We traded our fifth round pick to Minnesota for Sage Rosenfels and Darius Reynaud.

BaLLiN
10-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Devine would be a horrid pick in the first round.

Why? He's a play maker, alot like Bradshaw in the way he is a tough, small runner who looks for cutbacks, but he has great speed to top it all off. I don't see any flaws in his game in limited viewing, this season i know he's had some foot/ankle injuries which are hindering his production. The offense he's in makes his stats a little misleading because of how wide open everything is, not to mention how weak the conference has been, but he is still one of the best at his position in recent years at least imo.

He's likely to have a great combine, so late first round is probably where he'll be anyway. We do need a RB, BJ can't go a full year as a feature back anymore and how we're using him now to close games is perfect. Bradshaw by himself is great, leading the league in yardage, but he doesn't have break away speed and if we lose him we're screwed.

I would like to find a RB in later rounds as most would, but Devine is worth a late 1st/early second.

Need-wise id go:
-OL even tho we have guys, but someone like Carimi intrigues me.
-DT is a need, easily.
-SLB, but Sintim could fill that or even Kehl.
-CB/DB i wouldnt even rule out a safety with no Chad Jones for depth.
-RB
-FB we need one, idk about Pascoe but Hedgecock has been pretty bad even in run blocking

Bottomline is that we have alot of depth, Jerry Reese has been doing a standout job, but we don't have many ridiculously threatening guys. Like the jets have done in many recent years by trading up and going 'quality over quantity' i think we should follow this.

Big_Pete
10-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Why? He's a play maker, alot like Bradshaw in the way he is a tough, small runner who looks for cutbacks, but he has great speed to top it all off. I don't see any flaws in his game in limited viewing, this season i know he's had some foot/ankle injuries which are hindering his production. The offense he's in makes his stats a little misleading because of how wide open everything is, not to mention how weak the conference has been, but he is still one of the best at his position in recent years at least imo.

He's likely to have a great combine, so late first round is probably where he'll be anyway. We do need a RB, BJ can't go a full year as a feature back anymore and how we're using him now to close games is perfect. Bradshaw by himself is great, leading the league in yardage, but he doesn't have break away speed and if we lose him we're screwed.

I would like to find a RB in later rounds as most would, but Devine is worth a late 1st/early second.

Need-wise id go:
-OL even tho we have guys, but someone like Carimi intrigues me.
-DT is a need, easily.
-SLB, but Sintim could fill that or even Kehl.
-CB/DB i wouldnt even rule out a safety with no Chad Jones for depth.
-RB
-FB we need one, idk about Pascoe but Hedgecock has been pretty bad even in run blocking

Bottomline is that we have alot of depth, Jerry Reese has been doing a standout job, but we don't have many ridiculously threatening guys. Like the jets have done in many recent years by trading up and going 'quality over quantity' i think we should follow this.

I think Devine will still be on the table in the 3rd round.

DT is only a need if Cofield isn't resigned. Otherwise we have Canty, Cofield, Bernard and Cofield, plus Nate Collins from the P/S - that is a very talented bunch.

SLB is a likely need, but I still think the front office are willing to give Sintim a shot. If Bullock is back, SLB isn't an urgent need. But if a top talent like Akeem Ayers is still available, he will be certainly in the 1st round mix.

I agree that safety could be a surprise. Someone like Mark Barron in the second round would be my pick. He would ideally develop behind Deon Grant for that SS/LB role.

OL we could use, although we do have decent depth.

I wouldn't rule out DE either.

bigbluedefense
11-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I'd throw TE into the mix. Boss is average, and Beckum is too small to be a fulltime TE.

Look at NE, they loaded up with 2 TEs this offseason and they make it work. They line up Hernandez wide and Gronk inside.

We can do the same. Get a true TE to replace Boss and line up Beckum wide. Create more mismatches while maintaining integrity in our run blocking. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rosebud
11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I think OL is by far our biggest need and if we don't grab Soldier, Sherrod, Love or what's his face at OT we should grab O'Dowd or Wisniewski at C.

BaLLiN
11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd throw TE into the mix. Boss is average, and Beckum is too small to be a fulltime TE.

Look at NE, they loaded up with 2 TEs this offseason and they make it work. They line up Hernandez wide and Gronk inside.

We can do the same. Get a true TE to replace Boss and line up Beckum wide. Create more mismatches while maintaining integrity in our run blocking. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

The problem i have with that is that we really dont use TE's in our offense. Eli loves to throw to TE's though (shockey, boss), I'd love someone that is like Dustin Keller, but we just don't use them often enough to address it early on.

Id love to get Fanin as a situational FB, maybe even a FB if he proves himself as a blocker. He is absolutely dirty out of the backfield as a receiver.

Big_Pete
11-02-2010, 05:04 AM

I really like the idea of signing Zach Miller in free agency if possible. He is a very good all round TE including a good blocker and reliable receiver.

Big_Pete
11-02-2010, 05:14 AM
I think OL is by far our biggest need and if we don't grab Soldier, Sherrod, Love or what's his face at OT we should grab O'Dowd or Wisniewski at C.

Personally I would love to retool the trenches early.

Unfortunately I am not sure we will

Koets will likely be resigned and could be seen as O'Hara's replacement. Andrews will be in the mix at either Guard or Tackle. Seubert and McKenzie are both playing well. It is very likely our depth chart will look like this heading into the draft.

OT - McKenzie, Diehl, Beatty, Andrews (all could be legitimate starters)
OG - Snee, Seubert, Petrus, Boothe, Meredith
OC - O'Hara, Koets

That is a good mix of experience and youth and very good depth. It is hard to see OL as an urgent/major need.

Add to this the fact that we don't tend to draft Oline early and it could be tough to predict a major retool in the trenches.

I think we will likely bring in a mid-late draft pick on the Online, unless some great value falls into our lap.

bigbluedefense
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
The thing is though, even though we don't use a TE, we still need one to keep defenses honest. Shockey was valuable bc he was at least a decoy that teams had to pick up going down the field which opened up our outside guys. We don't even have that right now. Boss isn't someone who can stretch a seam.

I like the idea of Zach Miller, that's a pretty good idea, but I doubt he leaves Oakland, and cost is also a factor. Pass catching TEs are becoming easier to draft in today's NFL too, so it would be more cost effective to just draft one.

Rosebud
11-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Meh, I think Beckum and Barden will be more than enough for our passing to become beastly, if at the end of the season though they haven't made more of an impact I'll re-assess my stance, but for now I'm not worried about getting a TE when we need another LT, hopefully a stud center, a running back to battle Ware for the backup job, a cornerback to develop as Ross's replacement, a DT to backup Joseph and Canty and a Safety to take over for Grant when he goes to start for some other team this summer.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Until Beckum and Barden actually do something, I'll remain skeptical. Now can both develop in the future? Sure. But to assume that its going to happen just bc is something I'm not in agreement with.

Rosebud
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Until Beckum and Barden actually do something, I'll remain skeptical. Now can both develop in the future? Sure. But to assume that its going to happen just bc is something I'm not in agreement with.

*shrug* I thought Beckum's looked good this year and have been a big fan of Barden's since his college days and he's looked solid the few times he's hit the field and wasn't practicing his volleyball technique.

BaLLiN
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
just a thought, instead of a nickleback, why not draft a safety since the late 1st round talent isnt too great and have Antrel play the slot?

Giantsfan1080
11-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't want to take away from the strength of the team. Rolle has proved he's a better S than CB anyway.

BaLLiN
11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't want to take away from the strength of the team. Rolle has proved he's a better S than CB anyway.

yeah but have you seen what he's done as a NB (on cardinals), hes a legitimate threat.

Rosebud
11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
just a thought, instead of a nickleback, why not draft a safety since the late 1st round talent isnt too great and have Antrel play the slot?

Because there's more more depth at CB than S in this draft and Rolle's a better Safety than Nickle.

bigbluedefense
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I think with Koets tearing his ACL, Center has easily become our #1 need as of right now with the draft.

Maybe we convert Petrus, but I'm not expecting it, so in all likelihood, we will be eyeing centers in the draft.

D-Unit
11-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I think with Koets tearing his ACL, Center has easily become our #1 need as of right now with the draft.

Maybe we convert Petrus, but I'm not expecting it, so in all likelihood, we will be eyeing centers in the draft.
We'll be scouting them together brother. How early do you think you will address it? For Dallas... 2nd round is the earliest, and Jerry has drafted 2 Centers in Round 2 before... Gurode and Al Johnson.

Rosebud
11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I would really like to see us make a trade down this year. This draft is deep at CB and DT which are our biggest secondary needs while we can find a spot to snag Wisniewski, O'Dowd or Rodney Hudson to fill our hole at C.

Morton
11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Except that, you know, I don't think that Jerry Reese signed Rolle to a five-year, $37 million contract (making him the highest paid safety in the NFL) just to play the nickel.

bigbluedefense
11-17-2010, 10:28 AM
We'll be scouting them together brother. How early do you think you will address it? For Dallas... 2nd round is the earliest, and Jerry has drafted 2 Centers in Round 2 before... Gurode and Al Johnson.

As of right now, I'd assume its a first round need for us.

RT, CB, DT are also needs, but I think C is clearly the biggest need for us right now.

Rosebud
11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Except that, you know, I don't think that Jerry Reese signed Rolle to a five-year, $37 million contract (making him the highest paid safety in the NFL) just to play the nickel.

He wouldn't just play the nickel. He'd just move to the nickel and we'd bring on another safety to take his spot when we go 5 DBs. It's a reasonable thought and I actually think that was kind of the best case scenario thinking when we drafted Chad Jones. If he worked out and Kenny stayed healthy instead of spending money on a replacement for Ross the team was hoping they'd be able to just use Rolle there when we bring on Jones to go 5 DBs. We already use 3 Safety packages and it would just mean shifting Rolle's role some.

D-Unit
11-17-2010, 07:15 PM
As of right now, I'd assume its a first round need for us.

RT, CB, DT are also needs, but I think C is clearly the biggest need for us right now.
Well, if I'm not mistaken.... doesn't your gm just take BPA irregardless of need? I could even see you taking Mark Ingram.

Forenci
11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Well, if I'm not mistaken.... doesn't your gm just take BPA irregardless of need? I could even see you taking Mark Ingram.

Not in the first round. He usually goes for need. The real exception was last year with taking JPP. The past years we needed a CB he grabbed Ross, needed a safety he got Phillips, needed a WR and he went Nicks.

This year we could certainly go BPA depending where we pick since we're a more complete team then in years past.

BaLLiN
11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
what do you guys think of Allen Bailey, Bruce Carter, Shareece Wright, Charles Brown (NC), and Graig Cooper?

D-Unit
11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Not in the first round. He usually goes for need. The real exception was last year with taking JPP. The past years we needed a CB he grabbed Ross, needed a safety he got Phillips, needed a WR and he went Nicks.

This year we could certainly go BPA depending where we pick since we're a more complete team then in years past.
Well if C is your #1 need and you go for that in Round 1, I think you'll be making a terrible reach.

D-Unit
11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
what do you guys think of Allen Bailey, Bruce Carter, Shareece Wright, Charles Brown (NC), and Graig Cooper?
I know I don't want you guys to have Bailey. That's for sure.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Yes he does.. And if it happens to fit a need then the merrier. But Reese and especially Marc Ross, set the board for talent first. So if that's WR, DE, or any position that pops up, and we are on the clock, then we will draft them.

Forenci
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Well if C is your #1 need and you go for that in Round 1, I think you'll be making a terrible reach.

Probably, unless we somehow end up picking really late. Still, I'm more interested in taking a center int he second round and go BPA in the first, which I think we'll do.

Giantsfan1080
11-18-2010, 11:08 AM
It would not be a suprise at all if we went DE yet again in the 1st.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It would not be a suprise at all if we went DE yet again in the 1st.

I wouldn't either, but I'd like to go another position for once. An explosive offensive player would make me happy.

bigbluedefense
11-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes he does.. And if it happens to fit a need then the merrier. But Reese and especially Marc Ross, set the board for talent first. So if that's WR, DE, or any position that pops up, and we are on the clock, then we will draft them.

Not always.

Don't believe everything the team tells the public. I have no doubt they make a board, but I highly doubt they follow it to a T no matter what.

Recent evidence of us landing players in our #1 need position in 3 out of the last 4 drafts suggests otherwise.

bigbluedefense
11-18-2010, 11:58 AM
DE wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if we went CB.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Not always.

Don't believe everything the team tells the public. I have no doubt they make a board, but I highly doubt they follow it to a T no matter what.

Recent evidence of us landing players in our #1 need position in 3 out of the last 4 drafts suggests otherwise.

Well they have to go around the room and talk it out. I think they also talk about players on the board in the same clump or bracket of talent. From there they go. It's not like this:

1. CB
2. WR
3. DT

And so we are on the clock so best available is a CB, so that's our pick. I doubt it's like that. It's more like a tier system from my guess..

So once they narrow down the tier or bunch of players that fall into that section, they talk it out and go around the room.

bigbluedefense
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Well they have to go around the room and talk it out. I think they also talk about players on the board in the same clump or bracket of talent. From there they go. It's not like this:

1. CB
2. WR
3. DT

And so we are on the clock so best available is a CB, so that's our pick. I doubt it's like that. It's more like a tier system from my guess..

So once they narrow down the tier or bunch of players that fall into that section, they talk it out and go around the room.

That's how I believe it to be as well. I don't think its a strict BPA policy, I think they go this route.

That's what I prefer as well. If none of the players at your need positions match up grade wise in the same tier as the BPA, you gotta go BPA.

And that's pretty much what we do. If we have a need player who is graded out in the same tier as the BPA, we generally go for that need player. It's an effective method and one I prefer.

D-Unit
11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Have you guys started listing your own big board's yet for players you like for your own team in Round 1?

NY+Giants=NYG
11-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Have you guys started listing your own big board's yet for players you like for your own team in Round 1?

I don't really focus on college football. If I helped it would be based on this site and other draft sites, and who is projected to go round 1. I am interested to see, in real life, who we may be focusing in on.

I think we may need more OL men, and perhaps more toys in the form of a RB, WR, and/or TE.

Big_Pete
11-29-2010, 05:55 PM

I certainly have and there are really a lot of ways we could go.

Much will depend on how the Gmen perform down the stretch and what happens in free agency, there are a lot of key players coming off contract.

bigbluedefense
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
An interesting tidbit I realized about Jerry Reese. He's not successful in the 4th round, it's been his Achilles heal.

So far, our 4th rounds under the Jerry Reese consist of:

Zak DeOssie - bust as a LB, full time long snapper now

Bryan Kehl - cut

Andre Brown - cut

Phillip Dillard - most likely a career backup at MIKE. has potential but won't be much more than a solid depth guy IMO.

Not exactly the best 4th rounds. I understand some of those 4th round picks were real late and more similar to 5th rounders, but still, the 4th round is still an area where you can get quality guys, and so far we've missed in our 4th rounds each year under Reese.

I'm not complaining, Reese is one of the best in the business, I just thought this was interesting.

Rosebud
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
TO be fair I've loved each one of those picks before Dillard. DeOzzie was a guy we all wanted, Kehl was universally regarded as a steal and had Andre Brown never had that injury we may have our starting RB OTF. We should've just drafted James Starks this year...

bigbluedefense
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
TO be fair I've loved each one of those picks before Dillard. DeOzzie was a guy we all wanted, Kehl was universally regarded as a steal and had Andre Brown never had that injury we may have our starting RB OTF. We should've just drafted James Starks this year...

I agree. I was thrilled with the DeOssie pick. I wanted him or Stewart Bradley in the 3rd, but I felt at the time we got better value with DeOssie in the 4th. I'm very disappointed in him. So soft and had no desire to be a good player.

I was ok with the Kehl pick, didn't know much about him at the time and I sort of felt he got shafted here. But still, the proof is in the pudding, and Kehl just didn't play up to his capabilities. He was soft.

I loved the Andre Brown pick. I won't fault Reese at all for that one, it's just a shame he got hurt. That was a good pick.

I wanted Geno Atkins so bad! Aaaah, I won't ever let that one go. We couldve gotten Geno, we couldve gotten Aaron Hernandez. Lots of guys. We messed that pick up.

I feel like the front office got a LB just to get an LB at that point. Which was a mistake.

bigbluedefense
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
So I checked out the Oklahoma Nebraska game on Saturday (one of the rare times I actually watch college football) and I saw 2 guys that I am interested in.

This Prince Akamura, I think he's a stud. He has ideal size and speed, good technique, I'd LOVE to have him on the Giants. I think he can be a shut down corner, especially in a press man coverage defense.

I'm guessing by looking at him play, he's probably going to be a top 10 pick, so he's probably out of the picture for us. But man, I like him. He's going to be a nice consolation prize at CB for a team who can't get Patrick Peterson.

The other guy was DeMarco Murray. I don't know how he will grade out. He looked like a 2nd/3rd round RB to me based on several factors:

1. He doesn't have elite top end speed
2. His vision isn't as good enough to be viewed as an elite back to me
3. He is strong, but he can't overpower people like Turner/Greene can

For those reasons, I'd view him based on my first glimpse as a 2nd or 3rd round back. But I like him in our system. He can run inside and outside, he possesses a good lookin RB body on him, and he can catch it and run great routes.

He almost looks like a thick WR playing RB. I think with a FB and a run blocking scheme like we possess, he can be an Arian Foster like back for us. I wouldn't mind taking him either.

Thoughts?

I'm curious to know what you guys think, bc you watch a lot more college football than I do.

bigbluedefense
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on DeMarco Murray?

Giantsfan1080
12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I like him but he already has a lot of wear and tear since he's been playing at Oklahoma forever. I like Leshoure on Illinois better though. I'm really not concerned with RB though I don't think we even need to take one in this draft.

D-Unit
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
So I checked out the Oklahoma Nebraska game on Saturday (one of the rare times I actually watch college football) and I saw 2 guys that I am interested in.

This Prince Akamura, I think he's a stud. He has ideal size and speed, good technique, I'd LOVE to have him on the Giants. I think he can be a shut down corner, especially in a press man coverage defense.

I'm guessing by looking at him play, he's probably going to be a top 10 pick, so he's probably out of the picture for us. But man, I like him. He's going to be a nice consolation prize at CB for a team who can't get Patrick Peterson.

The other guy was DeMarco Murray. I don't know how he will grade out. He looked like a 2nd/3rd round RB to me based on several factors:

1. He doesn't have elite top end speed
2. His vision isn't as good enough to be viewed as an elite back to me
3. He is strong, but he can't overpower people like Turner/Greene can

For those reasons, I'd view him based on my first glimpse as a 2nd or 3rd round back. But I like him in our system. He can run inside and outside, he possesses a good lookin RB body on him, and he can catch it and run great routes.

He almost looks like a thick WR playing RB. I think with a FB and a run blocking scheme like we possess, he can be an Arian Foster like back for us. I wouldn't mind taking him either.

Thoughts?

I'm curious to know what you guys think, bc you watch a lot more college football than I do.
I'm working on a short mock that I can't ever seem to finish for some reason or another. I hate when work gets in the way of play. lol. Anyways, I have you guys taking Justin Blackmon. Thoughts? Ironically, he pretty much had his way with Amakumara. I came away thinking Prince might actually be a little overrated.

bigbluedefense
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I like him but he already has a lot of wear and tear since he's been playing at Oklahoma forever. I like Leshoure on Illinois better though. I'm really not concerned with RB though I don't think we even need to take one in this draft.

I think we could use another RB. I just don't want to spend anything in the 1st round, preferably not in the 2nd either.

I like Murray. He can catch it very well, he can run routes very well, and he looks like he has speed and power. He can cut, he's decisive, he kind of reminds me of McFadden's running style. LonghornLegends compared him to Clinton Portis, and that's actually a very good comparison.

If his stock falls bc of durability concerns plus mileage, I'd definitely take him in the 3rd.

I'm working on a short mock that I can't ever seem to finish for some reason or another. I hate when work gets in the way of play. lol. Anyways, I have you guys taking Justin Blackmon. Thoughts? Ironically, he pretty much had his way with Amakumara. I came away thinking Prince might actually be a little overrated.

If he's BPA, I'd have no problem with it. I came away very impressed with Blackmon when watching those highlights. But it would be a luxury pick. And if we did go WR, I think we'd go after more of a speed guy than a big body guy, bc we already have that.

I like Prince. Everybody gets beat once in awhile. I think he didnt play that bad. He got burned once, and the other time he bit on a flea flicker. The rest of the game, he held him in check.

D-Unit
12-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I think we could use another RB. I just don't want to spend anything in the 1st round, preferably not in the 2nd either.

I like Murray. He can catch it very well, he can run routes very well, and he looks like he has speed and power. He can cut, he's decisive, he kind of reminds me of McFadden's running style. LonghornLegends compared him to Clinton Portis, and that's actually a very good comparison.

If his stock falls bc of durability concerns plus mileage, I'd definitely take him in the 3rd.

If he's BPA, I'd have no problem with it. I came away very impressed with Blackmon when watching those highlights. But it would be a luxury pick. And if we did go WR, I think we'd go after more of a speed guy than a big body guy, bc we already have that.

I like Prince. Everybody gets beat once in awhile. I think he didnt play that bad. He got burned once, and the other time he bit on a flea flicker. The rest of the game, he held him in check.
I got the RB for you BBD!

Alex Green, RB, Hawaii - 6'2", 232 pounds.

http://media.fresnobee.com/smedia/2010/11/03/09/Hawaii.standalone.prod_affiliate.8.jpg

Comes from the Run 'N Shoot so going to the G-Men would be like graduate school! Probably the best receiving back prospect in the draft. Might be the best blocking back too, if not then probably the most experienced, considering how many times Hawaii steps back to pass. Not a shifty back, but he breaks arm tackles and has a nose for the endzone.

Look what he did this season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480922

Giantsfan1080
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I actually do like Murray I'm just afraid about his injury concerns. Leshoure has a lot of the same qualities as Murray.

bigbluedefense
12-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I gotta scout both of those guys. I'm still not in scouting mode yet, so bear with me.

BaLLiN
12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
im weary of Alex Green, but he does look like a guy that could be lookin to knock some DB's out of the game once he gets into the secondary.

Big_Pete
12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
If Bradshaw is resigned (as I expect he will be), then RB will not be a major need with both Bradshaw and Jacobs under contract.

Oline may not be a huge need either

We will have our starters under contract, plus we extended Koets as a backup centre and both Andrews, Beatty under contract, Petrus will be better. Even Meredith is at least as good a developmental LT prospect as most of the draft prospects.

The only one of our Oline off contract is Boothe and there is a reasonable chance he could be back.

bigbluedefense
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
If Bradshaw is resigned (as I expect he will be), then RB will not be a major need with both Bradshaw and Jacobs under contract.

Oline may not be a huge need either

We will have our starters under contract, plus we extended Koets as a backup centre and both Andrews, Beatty under contract, Petrus will be better. Even Meredith is at least as good a developmental LT prospect as most of the draft prospects.

The only one of our Oline off contract is Boothe and there is a reasonable chance he could be back.

Here's something to ponder:

What if Bradshaw would ask for roughly the same amount of money as DeAngelo Williams?

Do we go after DWill instead? I personally LOVE DWill and think he'd be a beast on our team. If the pricetag was right, I'd welcome him in Giant blue.

Personally, I hate signing any RB past his rookie contract and I'm a big believer in finding mid round guys and plug and chug, but I wouldn't be against DWill at all bc I do like his game quit a bit.

Rosebud
12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I think the world of Dwill, but he's got an incredible amount of miles on his tires. Remember he carried the load in college for all four years and despite sharing duties with Stewart in Carolina he's ran the ball a **** ton there to. I'd be very hesitent to sign him to a big deal over Bradshaw unless the cost is roughly the same, which I seriously doubt with this being Bradshaw's lone year as the number one guy and funmble problems.

BaLLiN
12-13-2010, 05:15 PM
DeAngelo has insane vision, but he looked like he lost a step this season at least to me. Maybe he played injured, but another thing to look at is the 4 backs on Carolina that have had success, their OL is pretty damn good at run blocking.

Big_Pete
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I do think we will be looking for a mid-late round RB to replace Ware.

I think Bradshaw could be resigned for a lot less than DeAngelo Williams, but if Williams is available he is worth a look, he would be an awesome complement to Jacobs.

There are plenty of other decent RBs off contract as well including
James Harrison
Ronnie Brown
Leon Washington
etc

BaLLiN
12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Needs: SLB/MLB, C, RB, OT, CB, TE, FB, DT

SLB/MLB- Bulluck doesn't look great out there, he's old, he is coming off an injury in the offseason that made the titans weary of his future, he was a stopgap this year, but the real question is: Sintim.

At MLB, Goff has done a valiant job this year, my praises go out to him for how well he's performed, but he is only an ok starter, the MLB in a team that plays aggressive defense should be more than just ok. He definitely doesn't give Fewell flexibility within the scheme.

C- O'Hara is looking like garbage, he's old, he's not getting a push in the run game, and experience isn't a great enough factor for him to keep his job. Seubert/Koets did a good enough job when they were given time, but do we want to settle for that? This draft has at least 2 prospects that could step in and be just as effective, with potential for more.

OT- Not even sure if this is a need, with Andrews emerging as a possible LT for us, and a good one, we could move Diehl in to Guard, where he performed well for a game(think only once this season). RT is definitely a possibility, but Beatty also played well, but well enough for a start?

CB- Also a question if we need one here, Aaron Ross has stepped up and im very happy with his performances in recent games. He is not really fit for a nickelback position, but has held very close coverage and nearly jumped a route twice. Can he take this a step further?

TE- I hate to say it, but im envious of the Jet's, Dustin Keller is a consistent and impressive TE who may not be great at blocking, about equal to boss, but surely provides a security blanket for his QB while still being a threat to the defense. Travis Beckum could be that kind of guy, they are very similar, but he hasn't shown much at all with Gilbride's system

FB- Hedgecock out, Pascoe in, except Pascoe is still only an average blocker. With guys like Leonard weaver or Vonta Leach out there, why can't we land one? It would greatly help the run game, there was a huge difference even with pascoe, and give us 11 useful players on the field. Pascoe is sufficient though.

DT- Cofield could leave us, and the depth behind him, Canty, Joseph, and Bernard, is not enough.

1. (*trade back into 2nd gain 3rd) Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3820918.jpeg
2. Travis Lewis SLB/MLB Oklahoma
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bf7E_MEbXvI/TNbnkIZAKvI/AAAAAAAAAB4/ZwzbJOgJaSM/s1600/LEWIS.jpeg
*3a. Noel Devine RB West Virginia
http://www.noeldevineonline.org/images/noel-devine.jpg
3b. Ben Ijalana RT/OG Villanova
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/6054131.jpeg
4. Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia/Charles Brown CB North Carolina
http://www.wvgazette.com/mediafiles/thumbs/275/388.92857142857/hogan222_I100823220559.jpg
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/unc/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3406847.jpeg
6. Corbin Bryant DT/DE Northwestern
http://proxy.espn.go.com/design_mockups/dev/programs/allstate/2010/goodworks/profile_corbin.bryant.jpg
7. Derrick Locke RS
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Western+Kentucky+v+Kentucky+0Qrsfc-AIOKm.jpg

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I know it's early, but I'm starting to check out some prospects. So far the ones that intrigue me are:

Greg Jones - We desperately need a MIKE who can give us range in the middle of the field and defend the middle. We need more speed at linebacker and he has all the characteristics, but his lack of size concerns me. I'll continue to keep an eye on him and evaluate him as I learn more about him.

Nick Fairley - We need a presence at DT. Fairley is the best DT available, but probably out of our reach. I need to see more of him, something about him scares me. I see a little bit of bust potential in this guy so far and I can't figure out why.

Akeem Ayers - OLB that has good tools. We need more speed and toughness at linebacker, both inside and outside.

Aaron Williams - We need more depth at CB with Ross most likely leaving soon. CBs need a year to adjust, getting 1 a year early would be a good idea. Plus like DEs, you can never have enough CBs.

Brandon Harris - See Aaron Williams

Bruce Carter - Has the speed, but so far I've noticed he doesn't wrap up well and takes bad angles. But we need more speed at linebacker, so he's an option for now.

Gabe Carimi - RT prospect. McKenzie is old and I'd prefer to stick Diehl at LG instead of RT if we have that option.

Drake Nevis - Great penetrator and can be the interior pass rusher we're looking for.

Cameron Heyward - Can be what Canty was supposed to be. I think he's tremendous value and I'd love to have him. He can play inside for us, he can play outside in run heavy sets, and he also offers us 34 versatility in the future. The more multiple you can be in your fronts, the better. And I think Heyward is good enough that he'll be a great 34 DE or 43 DT/DE hybrid.

I'll try to check out some Centers as well. Basically, I feel like BPA is probably the best route to go since once again, our needs don't line up with our draft position.

I'd say C, OT, ILB, OLB, DT, CB, TE, and S are areas of concern. Of course we won't get someone in each position, but getting BPA from one of those positions wouldn't be terrible.

Forenci
01-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Good list. I'm a big Harris fan myself if he decides to enter the draft. Nevis I'm very high on as well. Fairley is going to be a stud though. He's absurdly good. He's not at Suh's level, because few are, but he is a damn fine DT prospect which we sadly will have no chance at.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Good list. I'm a big Harris fan myself if he decides to enter the draft. Nevis I'm very high on as well. Fairley is going to be a stud though. He's absurdly good. He's not at Suh's level, because few are, but he is a damn fine DT prospect which we sadly will have no chance at.

What do you think of Heyward? I'm really warming up to the idea of grabbing him.

Morton
01-01-2011, 10:13 AM
You guys forgot to list Travis Lewis. He's going to be a stud MLB/WLB in the NFL and I could easily see the Giants grabbing him in the first round.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 10:19 AM
You guys forgot to list Travis Lewis. He's going to be a stud MLB/WLB in the NFL and I could easily see the Giants grabbing him in the first round.

Is he going to declare? If he does, I'd definitely be interested, he looks very good from the few Oklahoma games I've seen.

DOMINATEtheline
01-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Players that I really like at key positions that need to be addressed:

OT/OG (Our RT is in a contract year and he's old and we need to replenish our Oline)
Derek Sherrod
Gabe Carimi
Marcus Cannon
James Brewer

CB (A. Ross is a free agent soon, and we are in a passing league)
Aaron Williams
BRandon Burton
Brandon Hogan
Johnny Patrick

OLB; SAM Linebacker is needed ASAP! The total neglect in this level of the defense cannot be overlooked no more.
1. Travis Lewis
2. Nigel Bradham FSU
3. Mason Foster Washington

DT; Cofield is probably gone, and Rocky Bernard should not be welcome, another young body is needed to replenish the turnover.
1. Jarvis Jenkins Clemson; very underrated, I like his motor and upside.
2. Christian Ballard Iowa
3. Jurrell Casey USC
4. Phil Taylor Baylor

RB (Odds are either Bradshaw or Jacobs is not coming back, and we have lost alot of the receiving dimension out the backfield since Barber and consequently Ward left)
1.Mikel LeShoure
2.Jacquizz Rodgers; the perfect 3rd down back and offers great value in the return game. I like this young man's toughness. Someone who will slide down the draftboards cause of his height, which will be mistake.
3.Jeff Demps;
4. Brandon Bolden;

WR (Even though it seems we are stacked in the position, I would like a vertical threat that can contribute on ko and punt return game too)
1. Torrey Smith
2. Jerrel Jernigan
3. Edmund Gates; I love the potential of this player, I'll be ecstatic if we picked him up in 3rd round or later. One of the few prospects that I'm infatuated with.
4.Cecil Shorts

Just a little preliminary draftboard, can't wait till the Senior Bowl and the Combine to start getting more data on these players, but as of today these are the group of players that I really like. Any thoughts?

LonghornsLegend
01-02-2011, 03:42 AM
I think the world of Dwill, but he's got an incredible amount of miles on his tires. Remember he carried the load in college for all four years and despite sharing duties with Stewart in Carolina he's ran the ball a **** ton there to. I'd be very hesitent to sign him to a big deal over Bradshaw unless the cost is roughly the same, which I seriously doubt with this being Bradshaw's lone year as the number one guy and funmble problems.

841 carries in 5 seasons, I'd hardly consider that running the ball a ton. To really put that into perspective LJ ran for 752 carries in two seasons. I think he makes a perfect fit, but it depends on what Bradshaw ask for because ultimately you may be able to get Bradford and another player in FA.

BaLLiN
01-02-2011, 11:41 AM
How does everyone feel about Shane Vereen? I remember him catching my eye while i was watching Best.

bigbluedefense
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Players that I really like at key positions that need to be addressed:

OT/OG (Our RT is in a contract year and he's old and we need to replenish our Oline)
Derek Sherrod
Gabe Carimi
Marcus Cannon
James Brewer

CB (A. Ross is a free agent soon, and we are in a passing league)
Aaron Williams
BRandon Burton
Brandon Hogan
Johnny Patrick

OLB; SAM Linebacker is needed ASAP! The total neglect in this level of the defense cannot be overlooked no more.
1. Travis Lewis
2. Nigel Bradham FSU
3. Mason Foster Washington

DT; Cofield is probably gone, and Rocky Bernard should not be welcome, another young body is needed to replenish the turnover.
1. Jarvis Jenkins Clemson; very underrated, I like his motor and upside.
2. Christian Ballard Iowa
3. Jurrell Casey USC
4. Phil Taylor Baylor

RB (Odds are either Bradshaw or Jacobs is not coming back, and we have lost alot of the receiving dimension out the backfield since Barber and consequently Ward left)
1.Mikel LeShoure
2.Jacquizz Rodgers; the perfect 3rd down back and offers great value in the return game. I like this young man's toughness. Someone who will slide down the draftboards cause of his height, which will be mistake.
3.Jeff Demps;
4. Brandon Bolden;

WR (Even though it seems we are stacked in the position, I would like a vertical threat that can contribute on ko and punt return game too)
1. Torrey Smith
2. Jerrel Jernigan
3. Edmund Gates; I love the potential of this player, I'll be ecstatic if we picked him up in 3rd round or later. One of the few prospects that I'm infatuated with.
4.Cecil Shorts

Just a little preliminary draftboard, can't wait till the Senior Bowl and the Combine to start getting more data on these players, but as of today these are the group of players that I really like. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the board. Don't be a stranger, this was a good post.

touchdownmaker
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Is Akeem Ayers seen as only a Will? While I agree that teh OL is a big area we need to fill, I am tired of filling the second level of the defense with second and third rounders. Its time to pick up a first round talent at that spot. At the very least we could pick up a quality C in the third round, and a decent OG in the second.

Any thoughts on Chris Owusu from Stanford for a late round pick up?

Big_Pete
01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
The Giants have the #19 pick in the draft http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/34930/projected-2011-nfl-draft-order

I think this is a very good spot.

There will likely be very good value available at OT, CB, RB, DT, OLB (Ayers) and DE depending on which way we want to go.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Give me Travis Lewis with our 1st round pick. It's not that easy to watch college games from Norway, so in large part I will probably ask questions and not have real educated opinions on prospects that we can draft. But I was able to watch two Oklahoma-games this season, and he really stood out!

I watched him against Missouri and Nebraska, and i think that in the Nebraska game he had both an interception and a fumble recovery! Furthermore, I've seen scouting reports on him that compares him with Bears LB Lance Briggs. If we can get anything close to Lance Briggs in the next draft we have to go for it IMO.

Also Wikipedia states that he ran a 4.34 40 yd dash in something called a Nike Camp. Not sure how accurate this is of course, but we desperately need speed in our LB corps. I think that's the final piece that makes our defense dominant, which we need because we have such a "jekyll and hyde" offense.

scottyboy
01-04-2011, 09:02 AM
yea I love Lewis as well. I'm all aboard his train.
Also, how about that Tight End from Stanford last night? Yea, he had like a nothing season and I'm not sure where he stands as a prospect, but 6'6, and the athleticism he showed last night had me come away very impressed.
same with that FB/LB hybrid kid. I REALLY liked those 2 last night.
Well, with Luck of course but clearly he's of no need/out of reach haha

bigbluedefense
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
I like Luck, but after watching him last night, I think I'm still rating Sam Bradford slightly higher.

Luck is still going to be a great qb though. I'm gonna say Bradford will be better than him though. Luck didn't look off defenders enough, got happy feet vs the blitz, was slightly inaccurate at times, and can have better pocket presence.

To be fair, he was going against a fast defense and his playmakers weren't overly talented, so he had to fit the ball into tight windows at times, but I still think he's a work in progress.

I think Sam had better pocket presence, accuracy, and read progression.

If I were to rate the best qb prospects ive ever seen, Id say Eli was 1, Bradford was 2, and Luck is a close 3 behind Bradford.

Forenci
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
As much as I love Eli, Luck is a better prospect. Bradford I was a huge fan of, but I still believe Luck is a better prospect than him.

bigbluedefense
01-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Eli the prospect was better than Luck or Bradford to be honest. Eli the NFL qb? Remains to be seen. But Eli the prospect was amazing.

I had Ben rated highly as well. Didn't rate Rivers too high, was never a huge fan, I liked him but I thought Eli and Ben were both a notch above him.

To be fair, I was all over Brady Quinn's nuts when he came out.....yeah....not my best call there...

Rosebud
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm still hoping for Derek Sherrod, he might fall right to our pick if some of the higher upside guys can get some great momentum in the offseason, kinda like Bulaga did last year...please...I actually like the RT class in general, there's very little in the way of LTs, but there are some really good RTs to be had and we could find a long term starter. Sherrod/Carimi/Love/Cannon/etc. and Snee would be a dominant right side that would re-create our running game really fast. Get rid of O'Hara with Seubert, Koets or a later pick and our OL would be pretty beastly in the running game once again.

Our D could certainly use a corner but this corner class is deep so we could find a nice player like we did with TT and C-web in the second round. If we re-sign Cofield and integrate Joseph our DL should hold up much better since a lack of DT depth wore Canty and our DL out. That's why our D fell apart down the stretch, over the course of the game we became the more beaten up team and that's not what we can let happen. So I'd still look for a DT but DT is also a remarkably deep position this year so I wouldn't be opposed to waiting here as well.

I can't really argue against a LB except that I think guys like Boley got worn out as well because of DL wearing out. Him and Goff is a duo I'd be fine with if our DL holds up better next year. At SAM Sintim needs to be the starter next year and if he's not ready we need to make a move be it through FA, with a legit starter like we did with Boley and not with an over the hill vet like Bulluck, or the draft.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Eli the prospect was better than Luck or Bradford to be honest. Eli the NFL qb? Remains to be seen. But Eli the prospect was amazing.

I had Ben rated highly as well. Didn't rate Rivers too high, was never a huge fan, I liked him but I thought Eli and Ben were both a notch above him.

To be fair, I was all over Brady Quinn's nuts when he came out.....yeah....not my best call there...

Eli the prospect didn't have to run a system where you need a PHd to be a WR.

Giantsfan1080
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Well Luck goes to Stanford so maybe he can do a better job in this system. Trade Eli and get Luck.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Trade the system and get a new one. Or get phd WR coach to teach our WRs.

bigbluedefense
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Ok guys. Haha.

On a serious note though, Eli is 30 now. that means realistically, he has another 5 years in him. His window is closing.

Morton
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Question: if Marcell Dareus were to start slipping into the 15-20 range, what do you think are the chances that Jerry Reese trades up a few spots and pounces on him?

Giantsfan1080
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I know we all hate the offense but it hasn't been the problem the last 2 years. The collapse in the Eagles game was 95% on the defense and all of last year Eli and the offense carried the team.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Ok guys. Haha.

On a serious note though, Eli is 30 now. that means realistically, he has another 5 years in him. His window is closing.

Not if we keep surrounding him with talent. I think 5-7 years is realistic.

scottyboy
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
all Eli needs are some wrangler jeans commercials, some nudie cell phone pics, pain killer addictions and he'll play like another 10 years!

Rosebud
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Does anyone really see Peyton going away within the next 5 years? I think Eli will outplay Peyton so I wouldn't even worry about him til he's 35 unless he ever actually has to miss a game due to injury. Simplify the offense a little, fix the OL, keep stocking up the D, figure out someway to get a stud in at the SAM, special teams shouldn't ride the short bus to games and we'll be golden.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Ok guys. Haha.

I don't know why Reese won't get him a legit TE that he can count on. Even a guy like Moeaki would have been the sex for your team. Boss makes it count when he gets a shot, but a TE that could really be a threat in the passing game and a safety valve would cut down on his INT numbers quite a bit I think.

Giantsfan1080
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
We wouldn't use a TE in that way in this offense anway so it would just be a waste. We like keeping our TE's in to block more often than not.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
We wouldn't use a TE in that way in this offense anway so it would just be a waste. We like keeping our TE's in to block more often than not.

That's what I was saying is that I wished you guys would buck that trend. Eli works brilliantly with a guy who runs routes and knows where he will be, if he got to utilize a safety valve in a reliable TE like that who could run great routes it would probably do wonders for him.

Romo would throw 20 picks a season if we didn't have Witten. Easily.

Giantsfan1080
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I would love to see it happen I'm just not getting my hopes up. We'll all praying someone finally hired Gilbride so we could hire Banning for OC.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
That's what I was saying is that I wished you guys would buck that trend. Eli works brilliantly with a guy who runs routes and knows where he will be, if he got to utilize a safety valve in a reliable TE like that who could run great routes it would probably do wonders for him.

Romo would throw 20 picks a season if we didn't have Witten. Easily.

That's the thing. IN our system, our WRs rules are very complex. Smith is the doctor of it and has mastered it. But going back to Shockey, Toomer, and Plax, they all ran wrong routes then. And now everyone else does except for Smith, and sometimes here and there he may.

I imagine a system where Eli can throw a pass and know for 100000% that the guy will be there. I wish for that to happen.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
That's the thing. IN our system, our WRs rules are very complex. Smith is the doctor of it and has mastered it. But going back to Shockey, Toomer, and Plax, they all ran wrong routes then. And now everyone else does except for Smith, and sometimes here and there he may.

I imagine a system where Eli can throw a pass and know for 100000% that the guy will be there. I wish for that to happen.

Is size into the equation as well or they can all be smaller guys? Because Barden never seemed like that guy. Also if you wanted to run a type of season like that you could probably get away with picking some guys up late where that's what they are known for. Davone Bess wasn't even drafted and he would be incredible in your offense with Eli.

Giantsfan1080
01-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I heard on the radio this morning we might invite Plax to camp next summer.

bigbluedefense
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I heard on the radio this morning we might invite Plax to camp next summer.

I have no problem with bringing him back. I would love to see him back quite honestly.

I don't know why Reese won't get him a legit TE that he can count on. Even a guy like Moeaki would have been the sex for your team. Boss makes it count when he gets a shot, but a TE that could really be a threat in the passing game and a safety valve would cut down on his INT numbers quite a bit I think.

We've all been wishing for this for quite some time, but realistically it's just not happening under Coughlin. He doesn't use the TE.

Like Boss said, I just want a system that allows Eli to know that his WRs will be in the right place for him. As long as we run this choice route offense, Eli will chuck up an inordinate amount of INTs. It just comes with the territory. The system is too complex, but we'll always have it until Gilbride or who knows, maybe Coughlin is gone.

I feel like we're wasting away the prime of his career with this system. Having that said, I still think he'd do great this year if Smith was healthy.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I would love to see it happen I'm just not getting my hopes up. We'll all praying someone finally hired Gilbride so we could hire Banning for OC.

LOL. I want no part of being a coordinator. I like being a position coach. No one bothers you or rips on you. No media obligations and you can do your thing. Look at Pope the TE coach. Great TE coach and can always get a job due to reputation.

Maybe HS I may, but still, I like coaching a position.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Is size into the equation as well or they can all be smaller guys? Because Barden never seemed like that guy. Also if you wanted to run a type of season like that you could probably get away with picking some guys up late where that's what they are known for. Davone Bess wasn't even drafted and he would be incredible in your offense with Eli.

Bess would need to know the WR rules. It doesn't matter who we have. We could have Austin and Dez. Add them to Jackson and Smith, and Nicks. Give us an all star cast, if they have no idea what they are doing people blame the QB. Our WR rules are complex which cases Eli to pass left, and our WRs run right. So after the play, you see Eli make hand gestures to where the WR should go. He was doing that a lot this year.

We need Steve Smith and clone him basically.

OSUGiants17
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/370/163/OwenMarecic_display_image.png?1283252663
I want him so bad <3

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I can totally see the Giants taking Cameron Heyward come draft day. He sounds like a BPA type that the Giants would go after.

1. We have a need at DT, and while Heyward's best fit is 34 DE, he can move inside to DT and rush the passer.

2. He is versatile and can play inside and outside, something the Giants love. Also gives us more flexibility to moving to a 3-4 in the future if the franchise wants to go in that direction.

3. He's an incredible talent, and he's dline. You know the Giants love dline.

4. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we go into the pick with a similar scenario as last year, where the positions we want (LB and Oline) simply don't have the quality player worth the 19th pick. And Reese hasn't had any history of moving back in the draft yet. That opens the door for a Heyward like pick, that addresses a lesser need with a better quality player.

I personally wouldn't mind the pick at all. I love Heyward. I think he's going to be a great player. We're desperately missing a pass rushing presence at DT for quite some time. Imagine the duo of Joseph and Heyward inside for the next 5 years with JPP and Tuck/Osi on the outside? That would be insane.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 07:03 AM
I almost wish we were picking in the top 5 in this draft. Nick Fairley would be the absolute perfect fit for this team but unfortunately we have no shot. If we can get Drake Nevis in the 2nd I'd be all for that as well.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 07:14 AM
I almost wish we were picking in the top 5 in this draft. Nick Fairley would be the absolute perfect fit for this team but unfortunately we have no shot. If we can get Drake Nevis in the 2nd I'd be all for that as well.

Not a big Heyward fan?

I'm a Nevis fan, but if we're going to take him, it seems like we have to grab him in the 1st.

Fairley wouldve been nice.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I tell you what, another name that is really standing out on tape to me is Gabe Carimi.

I know he has a late 1st grade to him, but I'm really digging him at 19. Dude is a beast of a run blocker, and he has underrated pass protection. Strong as an ox too.

Reminds me of Jake Long in some ways. I'd love Carimi with 19. Worst case scenario I can see this guy developing into a monster RT.

But I personally think he's got a lot of potential as a LT. I'm really digging this guy right now.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Not a big Heyward fan?

I'm a Nevis fan, but if we're going to take him, it seems like we have to grab him in the 1st.

Fairley wouldve been nice.

I like both Heyward and Watt. They are both very versatile and can line up anywhere on the line. It wouldn't hurt to have another Tuck like DE if we're not going to sign or draft another DT.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I like both Heyward and Watt. They are both very versatile and can line up anywhere on the line. It wouldn't hurt to have another Tuck like DE if we're not going to sign or draft another DT.

Thoughts on Gabe?

Right now, a mock that gets us Gabe in the 1st and O'Dowd in the 2nd looks pretty good to me.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Looks like Lewis is going back to school. So There goes that dream...

NY+Giants=NYG
01-06-2011, 08:13 AM
I feel like since this draft has so many DL prospects I can see us drafting another DE or a DT. Maybe let Kiwi go, draft another DE and run with Tuck, Osi, JPP, Rookie and Tolly. That would basically signify Osi is going to play out his contract and then JPP and Rookie fight it out. Tuck can get rested more too. However, I really hope we actually go another position.

Rosebud
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I tell you what, another name that is really standing out on tape to me is Gabe Carimi.

I know he has a late 1st grade to him, but I'm really digging him at 19. Dude is a beast of a run blocker, and he has underrated pass protection. Strong as an ox too.

Reminds me of Jake Long in some ways. I'd love Carimi with 19. Worst case scenario I can see this guy developing into a monster RT.

But I personally think he's got a lot of potential as a LT. I'm really digging this guy right now.

Yeah, Carimi has been my second favorite pick for us for a little while now, although I see him as the successor to McKenzie as our rock at RT next to Snee for years and not like a Jake Long style LT. I'm still hoping for Sherrod just because I love the guy and think he could be a standout LT as well as RT, but if he's gone I wouldn't be upset with us taking Carimi instead. With a Snee-Carimi/Sherrod combo on the right and no more Shaun O'Hara I think our OL would be back in a big way next year and our running game could be dominant again.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Does anyone feel like Beatty fits better at RT? The more I think about it he reminds me of a Kareem McKenzie clone.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I dunno. He's so small. I don't know how I feel about Beatty yet. I was hating him early in the year, he was absolutely terrible, but then he did ok as the year went on.

Do you pass on a guy like Carimi bc you have faith in Beatty? That's tough.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I dunno. He's so small. I don't know how I feel about Beatty yet. I was hating him early in the year, he was absolutely terrible, but then he did ok as the year went on.

Do you pass on a guy like Carimi bc you have faith in Beatty? That's tough.

If he can add like 10 more pounds he'd probably be around the exact same weight as Kareem. They're both 6'6 also I believe. Well it depends on where we think Carimi fits best. If we have both of them and use them both as our future bookends I wouldn't mind it.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
If he can add like 10 more pounds he'd probably be around the exact same weight as Kareem. They're both 6'6 also I believe. Well it depends on where we think Carimi fits best. If we have both of them and use them both as our future bookends I wouldn't mind it.

I wouldn't mind that. I personally would give Carimi a shot at LT if we did draft him, but most are saying he's purely a RT.

I think getting a guy like Carimi in the 1st and getting O'Dowd in the 2nd would fortify our oline for a long time.

But by doing that, we once again ignore LB for another year. Which is frustrating.

But as it stands right now, I just don't see any LBs that I really like.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately for us this isn't the year for an early big time LB. Maybe our scouts can unearth one in the later rounds somehow. I wouldn't mind another DT or even another DE that can play both inside and out like Heyward and Watt.

Forenci
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Eh, I like Carimi but it would be a big mistake to rely on him as a left tackle. I just don't think he can be one, unfortunately.

Like Rosebud, I'm a big Sherrod fan. Realistically, he's my favorite pick for us as of now. After that it gets tricky and there is going to be a lot in the pre-draft all-star games and work outs.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
The only guy I see that maaaaybe has what we need is Bruce Carter. But I really didn't like him from first impression. Took too many bad angles, and didn't tackle well.

Sturivant (spelling) is too slow. Jones is like 220 lbs soaking wet and probably 5 9", or else he'd be great.

I'm starting to think it's oline or dline in the 1st. BPA. Just no more pure DEs. We have enough of those. If we go hybrid like Heyward or Watt, fine. But I don't want to see us go after a pure 260 lb DE. That would piss me off.

Forenci
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Cam Heyward would be an interesting selection. He absolutely destroyed DeMarcus Love (potential first round player) in the Sugar Bowl and basically took over that game defensively.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I know we're far away but this might be the most interesting draft under Reese yet. We'll obviously have a better idea of what we're going to do after FA though if that happens.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Hell, what if Ingram is there? With our RB issues, and his ties to the Giants, do you think it's possible it happens?

There's so many possibilities right now. It sounds like the Maras want a linebacker, I hope they don't force the issue though and compromise our ability to get a higher graded player.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Here's something to think about. Mark Herzlich. I think he falls to the 3rd or 4th round bc of his health concerns.

Do we gamble?

He can be our Urlacher if he ever recaptures his form. And you wanna talk about leadership? This guy has it. Everyone would rally around him.

Obviously the health concerns are a HUGE factor. But I'm just throwing it out there.

Actually, he's more like Lawrence Timmons. Which is also great of course.

LonghornsLegend
01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Eh, I like Carimi but it would be a big mistake to rely on him as a left tackle. I just don't think he can be one, unfortunately.

Like Rosebud, I'm a big Sherrod fan. Realistically, he's my favorite pick for us as of now. After that it gets tricky and there is going to be a lot in the pre-draft all-star games and work outs.

How do you feel about Tyron Smith? Very athletic, high ceiling, ability to play LT or RT, he's my option #1 for Dallas if we can trade down somewhere into the teens. I like him more then Sherrod and I really like Sherrod also.

Forenci
01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
How do you feel about Tyron Smith? Very athletic, high ceiling, ability to play LT or RT, he's my option #1 for Dallas if we can trade down somewhere into the teens. I like him more then Sherrod and I really like Sherrod also.

I like Smith. Really the biggest concern with him is size. He needs to add quite a bit of weight. Right now he's barely bigger than some DE's in the NFL. If he can add some more weight and retain most his athleticism and quickness he could be a great player.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
So if we do that then we basically kick David D inside, and go from there with Beatty as the backup. I hope we still address center at some point..

1. O'hara
2. Rich S
3. Koets
4. Boothe

That's not really what I want.. 2 older hurt guys, and 2 inexperienced guys..

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
So if we do that then we basically kick David D inside, and go from there with Beatty as the backup. I hope we still address center at some point..

1. O'hara
2. Rich S
3. Koets
4. Boothe

That's not really what I want.. 2 older hurt guys, and 2 inexperienced guys..

We can still draft a Center. I don't believe there is any surefire 1st round Centers available, but there will be 2 or maybe 3 guys we can target in the 2nd.

So you can go OT in round 1, Center in round 2. Let's say we get Camiri like I say, and O'Dowd in round 2. Let's also assume the Giants are willing to give Beatty another crack at LT. That results in

LT: Beatty
LG: Diehl
C: O'Dowd
RG: Snee
RT: Camiri

In that oline, quite honestly the only position that wouldn't have a very good player would be LT bc the book is still out on Beatty. I think Camiri is at the very worst, a stud RT. O'Dowd can be a stud if he stays healthy, which I think he will. Snee is a PBer. Diehl is a PB caliber player at LG. That's one sexy oline.

Fwiw, according to Ralph Vacchiano, Coughlin loves Mich Petrus. So perhaps Petrus finds a role somewhere along this line as well. I too am a big Petrus fan. He reminds me of a young Diehl, I think he's going to be a stud LG with some time.

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Weren't you guys talking about making Shawn Andrews the LT of the future at some point this season? What happened to that?

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I still believe we made a mistake not teaching Petrus how to play Center this season. I know Richy has been practicing snaps for years, but still, if he can do it, Petrus can do it. And if we were able to somehow convert Petrus to a Center, I think he'd be a very good one, and that would solve a huge hole for us.

Realistically, he's our future LG. But it wouldve been nice to move him to Center.

bigbluedefense
Weren't you guys talking about making Shawn Andrews the LT of the future at some point this season? What happened to that?

Yup. His back happened.

NY+Giants=NYG
Back issues..

bigbluedefense
01-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Anyone seen Mason Foster?

He's catching buzz around the forums. I don't have any recorded games of Washington and when I watched them play, I'd always just focus on Locker so I never cared much to watch their defense play.

DOMINATEtheline
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the board. Don't be a stranger, this was a good post.
Thanks, appreciate the positive feedback especially from a veteran poster. Always been into the draft process but never knew such a draftnik community existed online like this. I'll try to post more especially after senior bowl. But I'm always seem to be busy.lol

bigbluedefense
01-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks, appreciate the positive feedback especially from a veteran poster. Always been into the draft process but never knew such a draftnik community existed online like this. I'll try to post more especially after senior bowl. But I'm always seem to be busy.lol

I hear ya. I generally post during work haha :)

Anyone catch the game last night? Nevis didn't wow me. I liked #5 from Texas A&M, whatshisname, Judie? I put the eyeball on him all game and I liked his game. He's a junior though so I'm not sure if he's coming out.

Patrick Peterson is a monster but there's less than a 1% chance we get him.

But Nevis didn't wow me. I expected more penetration. To be fair, I only saw the first half before I went to bed.

Forenci
01-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I hear ya. I generally post during work haha :)

Anyone catch the game last night? Nevis didn't wow me. I liked #5 from Texas A&M, whatshisname, Judie? I put the eyeball on him all game and I liked his game. He's a junior though so I'm not sure if he's coming out.

Patrick Peterson is a monster but there's less than a 1% chance we get him.

But Nevis didn't wow me. I expected more penetration. To be fair, I only saw the first half before I went to bed.

You should try and check out some of his earlier games, if possible. There were several games where he just took over and dominated the line of scrimmage by himself.

bigbluedefense
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM
You should try and check out some of his earlier games, if possible. There were several games where he just took over and dominated the line of scrimmage by himself.

Perhaps I'm wrong in doing this, but bc I barely watch college football, I weigh the Bowl games much heavier than other games. Bc it's the big stage, plus it's fairly equal competition.

And he was pretty invisible out there in that situation. Makes me nervous. I'll go back and watch more games, but he certainly didn't wow me with his first impression.

If I ever had the patience to really sit down and watch college football I think id be a much better evaluator of talent. I just don't get a chance to really sit down and scout these guys.

BaLLiN
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
wow, theyre are a heck of a lot of good runningbacks (no great prospects), i don't want to go Ingram early, but in the 2nd or 3rd there are definitely alot of RB's that are worth it. We need to go BPA in the first again, not DE or WR though.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
What's everyones thoughts on Herzlich? Honestly, he's really the only LB ive seen on tape that I like so far. But he has serious health concerns.

With our glaring needs along the oline, do we go oline in round 1 and 2, and chance it with Herz in round 3?

???

Giantsfan1080
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
What's everyones thoughts on Herzlich? Honestly, he's really the only LB ive seen on tape that I like so far. But he has serious health concerns.

With our glaring needs along the oline, do we go oline in round 1 and 2, and chance it with Herz in round 3?

???

We need his teammate next year. Luke Keuchly.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm just not feeling these linebackers right now. None of them are wowing me enough to warrant a 1st round pick.

I actually like the oline talent available at 19 more than the linebacker talent at 19 right now. I'm still looking at games though, so my opinion could change.

Right now, a quick 3 round mock by me:

1. Gabe Carimi (OT)
2. Kristopher O'Dowd (C)
3. Mark Herzlich (OLB/ILB)

Here's my thinking. I really like Gabe, I think he's going to be a stud OT, whether its RT or LT. Id like to give him a shot at LT. He is a punishing run blocker and adequate pass protector and I think he would add a lot of juice to our run game, and solve one of our OT positions long term. And at 19, it's a safe pick, bc at the very worst this guy is going to be a stud RT.

Since the C class has no true 1st round talent, I like O'Dowd in the 2nd. He's the most prototypical of the group, and he's only falling here bc of health concerns. Now we solve our oline problems. We move Diehl to LG, and we'd have a beastly oline.

In round 3, I guess we chance it with Mark. The thing is, I'm iffy on drafting a linebacker at all past rounds 1, and 2 bc we've been down this road before. We constantly try to look for bargain LBs later in the draft and it hasn't worked for us.

But at the same time, I'm just not digging any LBs right now early. Herzlich has potential to be a stud, he's a great inspiration and I have a strong feeling he'd fill a leadership void in the lockerroom, and when i watch him on tape I see Urlacher.

If he can just stay healthy, it's a steal. But obviously it's a huge gamble. If we decide against LB in the 3rd, I would be open to a number of running backs.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
We need his teammate next year. Luke Keuchly.

Then we wait another year for a LB and we face the same issues on defense.

I take it you're not a Herz fan?

NY+Giants=NYG
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes.. As an offensive guy, I watched us draft defensive players last year. Now I want to see us go BPA obviously, but part of me wants an offensive player draft.

Go trenches and then skill player if they are there. But BPA first is fine by me either way off. or def. I would be annoyed to see another defensive player loaded draft.

Giantsfan1080
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Then we wait another year for a LB and we face the same issues on defense.

I take it you're not a Herz fan?

As a 3rd pick I'd have no problem with that. I just want a fast thmping LB lately though and he doesn't really bring that to the table. I know most players aren't like that but it's what I want to see.

Giantsfan1080
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Does Carimi remind you of Diehl? Punishing run blocker and average pass protector. Sounds very similar.

Rosebud
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd be cool with that mock BBD, if we don't get a shot at Sherrod I want Carimi right now, that said I think we've still got a shot at Sherrod who I like a lot more as a LT and I think can be just as beastly at RT, with better pass blocking. I am kind of feeling a defensive tackle or corner in round two but I did like O'Dowd a lot even though I'm also fine with the Seubert/Koets duo.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Does Carimi remind you of Diehl? Punishing run blocker and average pass protector. Sounds very similar.

That's what I thought.. I get the reports for the 3 guys confused but one said may have hard time handling fast pass rushers. It reminded me of David D. right away. I don't want another version of David D.

Rosebud
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
That's what I thought.. I get the reports for the 3 guys confused but one said may have hard time handling fast pass rushers. It reminded me of David D. right away. I don't want another version of David D.

David Diehl is an All Pro caliber LG and a probowl caliber RT. I'd love another David Diehl, just not to play LT.

Giantsfan1080
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
David Diehl is an All Pro caliber LG and a probowl caliber RT. I'd love another David Diehl, just not to play LT.

Yeah that's how I feel as well. I wouldn't that in the 1st round either though.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Not really. I think Carimi's pass protection is underrated. He's a lot stronger than Diehl, and he's got a better punch to him too. And he's stood the test vs some quality pass rushers. I think we're all selling Carimi short bc we automatically assume a big strong nasty run blocker who doesn't have the quickest feet can't be a LT. It's overanalysis by the scouts in my opinion, everyone is so caught up looking for the "prototype"

Look at Jason Smith. The guy was the prototype LT with the quick feet and all that jazz, and he's a bust.

Gabe does a great job of using his strength to absolutely stonewall pass rushers. Bc he's so strong, he can take that deep step to defend teh speed rush and not worry about getting beat inside bc once they try the inside move, he just uses his strength to stop them in their tracks.

And you can't bullrush Gabe either.

He reminds me a lot of Jake Long honestly.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Well at LT is what I mean. Let him play LG.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Just go back and try to catch some Wisconsin tape if you can, and just watch him pass protect.

Watch him pass protect, watch his feet, his form, his balance, his punch, his arm extension etc, and then tell me he can't play LT. I love his game, I think he can do it all. I hear all the knocks on him, but when I watch him play I see a beast out there.

I really think he's being slept on.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
And in my eyes, the worst case scenario is he becomes McKenzie's replacement at RT, and I'm telling you, at worst this guy is going to be a monster RT in the pros. Which is fine with me at pick 19. I don't see how we lose with him.

But to be fair, I am higher on him than most.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
That's another thing which reminds me.. How come around this time every year everyone refers to film as tape? You hear fans say I watched tape of him? Where are you getting the tape from? Live game recorded? That's not tape.. Youtube highlight videos? That isn't tape either.

BBD, just reminded me. It seems I see this every year on various MBs. You hear people say, I saw lots of tape on him.. Where? Did that person call the college and they send them coaches tape? Do they know an NFL scout? Because the other stuff hardly constitutes as tape.

Just something that bothers me around this time of year. Not to single you out BBD, but when you mentioned tape, I remembered it. I was looking at all that this weekend where people, around this time, all sound like scouts.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I have a bad tendency to do that. When I refer to tape, I'm really refering to TV footage, recorded games.

I have no access to eye in the sky tape obviously. It's just a bad habit of mine.

My uncle used to record every Giants game in the 80s on VHS, and from then on I'd just call em game tapes as a bad habit.

I learned a lot from those old games though.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I have a bad tendency to do that. When I refer to tape, I'm really refering to TV footage, recorded games.

I have no access to eye in the sky tape obviously. It's just a bad habit of mine.

My uncle used to record every Giants game in the 80s on VHS, and from then on I'd just call em game tapes as a bad habit.

I learned a lot from those old games though.

Not not to single you. But I hear or read it a lot during this time. Rarely I read, hey I saw a youtube video on this guy or taped a live game of him. It's I saw a bunch of tape on him. All of a sudden those things become formal tape, now that it is draft scouting time. Just a pet peeve, because I see it a lot now.

You get draft guys or fans who think they are experts saying that they saw tape on him, and on another guy, when in reality it's probably a bunch of youtube videos or a 3 minute highlight of him. Maybe even throw NFL network actually game film. Now all of a sudden, the person is a draftnik.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Not not to single you. But I hear or read it a lot during this time. Rarely I read, hey I saw a youtube video on this guy or taped a live game of him. It's I saw a bunch of tape on him. All of a sudden those things become formal tape, now that it is draft scouting time. Just a pet peeve, because I see it a lot now.

You get draft guys or fans who think they are experts saying that they saw tape on him, and on another guy, when in reality it's probably a bunch of youtube videos or a 3 minute highlight of him. Maybe even throw NFL network actually game film. Now all of a sudden, the person is a draftnik.

I hear ya. I'm usually waaaay behind come draft time bc I rarely watch college football. I just can't get into it. Luckily for me, I have a couple of friends who swear by it and I get to see the stuff they DVR. So what I personally do is, check out some names from this site, go back and find whatever games they recorded and see if I have any games of them, and watch them. Then I form an opinion on em based on the 2 or 3 games I got to see.

Hardly a perfect system, but it's better than nothing. I feel I'd be a much better evaluator of college talent if I watched the games.

And when I have nothing on a guy, I revert to youtube. Obviously a flawed way of evaluating, but again, it's better than nothing.

NFL network does a great job of showing some actual tape. But the sample size is so small. Mayock is great though. When in doubt, trust Mayock. The guy is money. I don't care much for Kiper or McShay, but Mayock is legit.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Mayock is a draft nerd basically. My favorite draft expert. Something about when he speaks and how he talks about each prospect it makes you feel comfortable with what he is saying.

I don't watch college football either so I don't even bother rating players because I know I can't do a good job without real game film. So why bother? So I just look at draft sites, and wait until Mayock gives his opinion.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Letting someone else tell you who's good takes all the fun out of it. It's the offseason, this is a nice way of killing time until the season starts up again.

I probably won't dwell on the draft as much as I used to though bc the Knicks will hold it down for me in the offseason now. I had that void for the past 10 years, but my Knicks are finally back in business, so I'll probably focus on the Knicks a lot more now when the football season is over.

I'm actually a bigger Knicks fan than a Giants fan, it's just you guys haven't seen it bc the Knicks have been so awful. And unlike football, basketball doesn't have the same parity or offseason hope that football has so it's hard to stay passionate when your team was as horrible as the Knicks were.

Forenci
01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Haha, glad to see you guys love Mayock too. I'm a huge fan and he's the main reason I only watch the draft on NFL Network (in addition to Rich Eisen being hilarious).

Damn, I can't wait for the Senior Bowl and Combine..

bigbluedefense
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Now that I switched to Dish Network and get NFL network, I barely watch ESPN anymore. NFL network's coverage of the draft is lightyears ahead of ESPN.

I put a lot of weight into the Senior Bowl. I know a lot of people view the practices as more important than the game, but I put a lot of emphasis on the game. I usually fall in love with a couple of prospects from that game. That's where I grew a hard on for Geno Atkins, Clay Matthews, Sean Witherspoon, Brandon Graham, and plenty of others.

I love the Senior Bowl.

OSUGiants17
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
I need to switch to a company that has NFL Network, I hate ESPN

bigbluedefense
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on Jared Gaither? He's on the market. I question his work ethic and that back scares me. But if healthy, he's a beast of a LT.

Dare we take a gamble on him?

Giantsfan1080
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Naa we already have Shawn Andrews. They're very similar but we don't have to give up anything for Andrews.

bigbluedefense
01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Good point.

I'm iffy on Gaither. I wanted him coming out and was kinda pissed that we didn't give up a 5th to get him. As a player on the field, I love the guy, but the baggage scares me a lot. I don't know how Id feel if we did indeed get him. Part of me would like it, part of me wouldn't.

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Man, I'm really not that into these linebackers. I catch myself trying to do the same thing I did last year. Last year I tried selling myself on Rolando McClain but every time I saw him play, I was largely unimpressed. I came to my senses finally and it turns out my gut was right so far on him, but I catch myself doing the same thing with these linebackers right now.

I'm trying to sell myself on guys, but I just don't see any that really stands out to me yet. Maaaybe Bruce Carter is the guy? He misses tackles though. Quan is too slow for my liking, we need a fast linebacker. Greg Jones is just too damn small.

The only guy I really like is Herz, but he has serious issues, and there's no guarantee he ever gets back to his old form. And he's clearly not a first round player anyway.

As much as I want a 1st round linebacker, I just haven't seen any that wows me. And this is a weak draft too. I don't want us to reach for marginal talent.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Naa we already have Shawn Andrews. They're very similar but we don't have to give up anything for Andrews.

I wont rely on Andrews for anything now. With that back of his, he could be out for any stretch of time. I'd go about it like he wasn't on the team, and if he plays that's a bonus if not, then it was expected.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Washington State's Mason Foster;Im really intrigued with the physical tools and the tenacity that Foster brings, can't wait to see him in the senior bowl, I'm curious how he looks in pass coverage because he is a potential rock against the run. I like him for our SAM.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I understand 100% I'm in the process of trying to buy into Akeem Ayers. But my immediate questions are is he more than capable in pass coverage, does he have the hip flexibility, is he a fit in a 4-3 defense, is he violent/physcial enough? What are your thoughts on him? He looks like 3-4 OLB off the bat...
Time will tell, Combine and pro day...

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
I hear Mason Foster is catching buzz. Unfortunately, I have no recorded games of Washington, so I can't put the eyeball on him until the Senior Bowl.

Is he any better than Bruce Carter though?

Honestly, we need a MIKE. We need a fast sideline to sideline MIKE who can also put his hat in the run game. Basically our own Curtis Lofton.

That's what's missing on our defense. We need that guy who can play that deep drop, have the range to chase backs out of the backfield, and also stop the run.

I want a 3 down MIKE.

scottyboy
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
i REALLY like Ayers, but moreso for his athletic ability. I'm afraid he doesn't really fit the 4-3, and well...poor ol' sintim is still trying to get that 4-3 SAM position but he too is better off in a 3-4

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I understand 100% I'm in the process of trying to buy into Akeem Ayers. But my immediate questions are is he more than capable in pass coverage, does he have the hip flexibility, is he a fit in a 4-3 defense, is he violent/physcial enough? What are your thoughts on him? He looks like 3-4 OLB off the bat...
Time will tell, Combine and pro day...

I think we'll pass on Ayers. We already have Sintim. I think we need to move past that experiment and draft pure linebackers from now on.

The DE/OLB hybrid SAM experiment needs to be put on the shelf for good.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I have my eye on him, but mostly for our SAM position. However, he should do damage at MIKE, this senior bowl is going to be crucial, I can't wait! The total neglect of our LBs is depressing sometimes...

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I was disappointed in Boley this season too. He started out hot but fizzled out at the end. Not enough impact plays out of him.

I think in the 2nd half of the season, we took him out of his element. We just had him cover TEs all game. Rarely did we blitz him, or have him play an underneath zone or chase backs out of the backfield. All he did was chase TEs.

I understand its hard to make impact plays when that's what youre told to do, but still, not enough plays. He had no interceptions.

In a defense that plays zone all day, I expect Boley with his range and athleticism to get at least 1 interception.

We didn't blitz Boley enough either. I think as a whole we didn't use him creatively, but I still want more impact out of him. Special players find ways to make plays no matter what role they're in.

Boley is a very good OLB, but he can be better if he brings intensity to every snap. I don't feel like he brings it on every play.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
I Hope Jerry Reese and that draftroom hear our cries....I don't understand the Sintim pick, I wanted Rey Maualuga SO BAD in that draft.....just think about it...reggie torbor, clint sintim and adrian tracy. They should officially convert Sintim to the 4th DE and call the project a failure. I think the only LB that was worth a 1st rd pick was Bruce Carter, and hes on the shelf.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Boley; for many years I wanted a speed WILL and we have it; however, he's not tenacious or violent. You make a good pt, he was in coverage a whole lot, but when he blitzed he always stopped when the opposing RB or FB would be there instead of blowing him up. He's sooo finesse. I'm looking at Adrian Moten from Maryland as a potential pick to shore up our WILL, you should look him up. I'm liking him more and more.; hes tough and fast and plays bigger than his size.

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
I hope we convert Sintim too. Chances are Kiwi is gone unfortunately, so we could use Sintim as that 4th DE. Perhaps use him as a OLB in our big base package like we did with Kiwi.

But for the most part, just move him to DE and treat him as a pass rusher.

I wonder if we would give Chad Greenway a look in FA. I doubt Minny lets him go though.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I doubt it, but you never know...Frazier would clamor to management to keep one of his defensive pieces. A former 1st rd pick, Greenway would be a dream come true: a 3 down OLB, durable and with some upside still.

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I wonder if we would give Cameron Heyward a look.

I like Heyward. He reminds me of Richard Seymour.

TACKLE
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I hope we convert Sintim too. Chances are Kiwi is gone unfortunately, so we could use Sintim as that 4th DE. Perhaps use him as a OLB in our big base package like we did with Kiwi.

But for the most part, just move him to DE and treat him as a pass rusher.

That's exactly what I'd do. I loved Sintim coming out but thought he was a bit of a waste in a 4-3. He's just an okay LB in space but his greatest strength is undoubtedly his pass rush. I thought the Giants would be able to utilize his pass rush ability better than most 4-3 teams but they haven't really done so. Correct me if I'm wrong but he has been pretty impressive when he has actually been given the chance to rush off the edge (though most of that may of come in the pre-season). Not to make you sentimental but I think he would be an impact player on your defense if Spags was still around.

bigbluedefense
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
That's exactly what I'd do. I loved Sintim coming out but thought he was a bit of a waste in a 4-3. He's just an okay LB in space but his greatest strength is undoubtedly his pass rush. I thought the Giants would be able to utilize his pass rush ability better than most 4-3 teams but they haven't really done so. Correct me if I'm wrong but he has been pretty impressive when he has actually been given the chance to rush off the edge (though most of that may of come in the pre-season). Not to make you sentimental but I think he would be an impact player on your defense if Spags was still around.

Spags... </3

Yeah, he only really came off the edge his rookie season, and the few times he did, he was impressive. I'd be lying to you if I said he looked great, he clearly had work to do, but he showed promise.

This year he was basically a true LB, and he struggled. Wasn't physical enough. He lost 10 lbs to become more of a true LB and he lost his best attributes bc of it. He's a hammer, a strong guy who can play downhill, and by trying to change him, we took everything good that he did away and all that was left was the mediocre part of his game.

I rather him move to DE, pack on weight, get up to 260, and become a pure DE.

DOMINATEtheline
01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I wonder if we would give Cameron Heyward a look.

I like Heyward. He reminds me of Richard Seymour.

I like him also, that heyward is so versatile and the comparison to Seymour is not a stretch (5 tech/4-3 DT) We need to replenish our DT rotation, with a versatile player like Heyward we can get a more consistent pass rush during the latter half of the upcoming season and be more fresh.

Giantsfan1080
01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Ayers plays soft. I don't want him.

Rosebud
01-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Sherrod or Carimi in round 1, Paea or O'Dowd in round two, Herzlich in round three, DB or RB and/or returner in round 4. Boom victoryzz

Forenci
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Sherrod or Carimi in round 1, Paea or O'Dowd in round two, Herzlich in round three, DB or RB and/or returner in round 4. Boom victoryzz

That would probably my ideal vision of our draft as well. Maybe substitute Demarco Murray for Herzlich, if he's still available.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I like Murray a lot, but I do admit I'm concerned about his durability. I feel however if we use him in a RBC which I'm almost positive we would, you wouldn't have to worry as much about him breaking down.

It'll be interesting to see if he can fall to the 3rd round.

Damix
01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I'd jump all over Pouncey in round 2 if he was there.

Forenci
01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Same here. I think once he does his work outs and preforms at the combine his stock will rise, even with durability issues, so it's more of a pipe dream.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
I like that Penn state guy. I wonder how good he actually be if we drafted him, and he gets polished and developed by our OL coach.

bigbluedefense
Is Pouncey that good? I keep hearing how he was mediocre at Center this year and was awful early in the year.

bigbluedefense
I like that Penn state guy. I wonder how good he actually be if we drafted him, and he gets polished and developed by our OL coach.

I hate drafting players from Penn State. 90% of em wind up being busts or mediocre NFL players.

Damix
01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Is Pouncey that good? I keep hearing how he was mediocre at Center this year and was awful early in the year.

Florida is the one team I watch. Awful at shotgun snaps, mediocre at times in blocking, much better at guard last year.

But I see him maul and his athletic ability at time comes out. I just think he'd be a great fit at G in our system, or at C if he can get the shotgun snaps worked out. His normal snapping always seemed fine.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Florida is the one team I watch. Awful at shotgun snaps, mediocre at times in blocking, much better at guard last year.

But I see him maul and his athletic ability at time comes out. I just think he'd be a great fit at G in our system, or at C if he can get the shotgun snaps worked out. His normal snapping always seemed fine.

We have enough Guards though. Snapping the ball isn't a big deal to me, you can learn that, what I'm concerned about is his ability to read the blitz, adjust protections, pass protection and run blocking skills.

Did he improve throughout the year or was he mediocre at Center all year long?

Forenci
01-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Pouncey does scare me a little, and not just because of the shotgun snaps. He's a damn good pulling guard/center, because he has absurd quickness and speed for a big guy, but some of his technique can be sloppy. I don't know if he's like his brother either, who absolutely demolishes people at the point of attack and the second level.

Unusual to say for a linemen, but I think he's really a boom or bust type of player.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-14-2011, 09:38 AM
All that stuff can be corrected with good coaching. That's where your position coach comes into play. We have a very good one, so issues like that can be worked on and polished.

Damix
01-14-2011, 09:39 AM
We have enough Guards though. Snapping the ball isn't a big deal to me, you can learn that, what I'm concerned about is his ability to read the blitz, adjust protections, pass protection and run blocking skills.

Did he improve throughout the year or was he mediocre at Center all year long?

There was improvement throughout the year, remember it was his first year at center.

All that stuff can be corrected with good coaching. That's where your position coach comes into play. We have a very good one, so issues like that can be worked on and polished.

Completely agreed, he doesn't need to step in right away, with the way we play rookies...

bigbluedefense
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Question.

So what are you specifically looking for in our next Center? Would you take a raw athlete over a polished guy with average athleticism? Or do you want an intelligent technician who lacks some athleticism but is very capable of making line calls and uses good technique?

The reason I ask is bc no Center that I know of has it all, he's either 1 or the other, so which one do you prefer?