PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draft Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

noondog
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
It's just a matter of time before this surfaced...I wanted to beat everyone to the punch for no good reason.

The two dudes that I'm high on right now:

1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
2. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Either one of those players would give us another elite prospect at a need position.

detroit4life
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Peterson unless Backus sucks this year and stafford gets hit too many times.

Best case scenario is our line hold up this year with a vaild running attack and Sims at LG. Also itd be nice to see progress and potential from fox.

If we are able to actually go all defense next year, getting us Peterson, a LB and a DE or safety that would be the draft that could put us over the edge.

Worst case scenario is Stafford gets hit too many times and we need to go OT and then address defense after that.

tblain1
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm not worrying about it since our pick next year will be in the late 20s.:rolleyes:

Scotty D
04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
We need talent at

CB
OLB
DE
LT
SS

I like Greg Jones, LB out of MSU or Bruce Carter,LB UNC. Depending on how Kevin Smith heals I wouldn't mind going with Mark Ingram, RB. I have to read up on the CB and OT prospects. How about Suh's teammate Jared Crick?

SINCE1978
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
I like the 2 DE's in the Big 10 ... Heyward & Claiborne. We should be picking about 15? ;o)

Barksdale LT from LSU is a load too ... but I think Jason Fox could be molded into the LT of the future after Backus. Looking forward to his development as a Lion, but would vote for either DE above.

kpy2
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
The pick should be a corner, and next year should be a great year for the position. With either Patrick Peterson, Price Amukamara or Aaron Williams to choose from, the team should be able to get a good one.

Only other option would LT if Stafford takes a beating and we cant upgrade in f/a or trade.

boknows34
04-29-2010, 02:54 AM
The two 2011 mocks on Walter's site has the Lions picking 9th in both with Gabe Carimi and Ras-I Dowling the picks. Petersen was already gone in both mocks.

Addict
04-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Peterson unless Backus sucks this year and stafford gets hit too many times.

Best case scenario is our line hold up this year with a vaild running attack and Sims at LG. Also itd be nice to see progress and potential from fox.

If we are able to actually go all defense next year, getting us Peterson, a LB and a DE or safety that would be the draft that could put us over the edge.

Worst case scenario is Stafford gets hit too many times and we need to go OT and then address defense after that.

I'd love peterson, but if the Line doesn't look right this year a top lineman will be our priority.

yarcraft3
04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I wouln't mind seeing a guy like Robert Quinn. Watched a few youtube clips of him and he looks like an absolute beast.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Ya I usually start this, but seeing as how I would have said Patrick Peterson, its cool.

Brothgar
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I REALLY want a LT this year.

WMD
04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
I REALLY want a LT this year.
Yeah well you wanted Okung and not Jahvid Best so you don't count Broth.

I'm on the Patrick Peterson bandwagon this year. I've heard he could be the best CB prospect in quite a while, an elite prospect at the position.. I'm expecting a 7-9 season at best, which should land us around #10 Overall. Knowing how the draft usually pans out, I'd expect Peterson to be around a #4 or #5 pick. I'd be all for doing what we had to do to trade up for him.

Of course, now that I said that, Patrick Peterson will wind up being a Mid-Round 2 pick when the draft comes around..

Brothgar
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah well you wanted Okung and not Jahvid Best so you don't count Broth.

I'm on the Patrick Peterson bandwagon this year. I've heard he could be the best CB prospect in quite a while, an elite prospect at the position.. I'm expecting a 7-9 season at best, which should land us around #10 Overall. Knowing how the draft usually pans out, I'd expect Peterson to be around a #4 or #5 pick. I'd be all for doing what we had to do to trade up for him.

Of course, now that I said that, Patrick Peterson will wind up being a Mid-Round 2 pick when the draft comes around..

You just wait Okung is going to be a multi pro bowl LT and Suh is going to be a multi probowl DT.

Brodeur
04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
You just wait Okung is going to be a multi pro bowl LT and Suh is going to be a multi probowl DT.

I'll read this as Okung will make a pro bowl or 2 and Suh is going to be a ten time all pro DT.

ironman4579
05-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Peterson is still a little inconsistent for me to want him that high right now. He's got amazing physical tools and ability though. If he cleans his game up just a touch, I'd be all over that pick. Adrian Clayborn is my guy right now.

nmb1114
05-01-2010, 10:56 PM
It might be crazy but I really like Ingram if he was there, imagine the tandem of Best-Ingram

Prowler
05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
1. Peterson
2. AJ Green
3. Ingram
4. Carimi

i would like an elite LT, but this is one potentially outstanding skill position draft class.

the famous image
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/j0nathanr0y/LSU/PatrickPetersonRain.jpg

WMD
05-02-2010, 08:31 PM
It appears that picture of Peterson is photoshopped

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=15301515

Still cool though.

Addict
05-03-2010, 07:08 AM
I'll read this as Okung will make a pro bowl or 2 and Suh is going to be a ten time all pro DT.

I read this as very likely.

'11 is going to depend entirely on what the biggest problem is next year. If the line is so-so and the secondary gets torched every sunday, than it'll be a CB or maybe an extra pass-rusher if the top CBs are gone... If the stanchize is getting gangtackled 10 times a game than it's LT all the way.

WMD
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
It'll be interesting to see what needs we have next year. LT, RB, DE, CB, MLB, WLB, and SS look like they could be needs if things don't work out right.

P-L
05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see what needs we have next year. LT, RB, DE, CB, MLB, WLB, and SS look like they could be needs if things don't work out right.
I don't think running back will be a need, at least not a major one next year. After investing a lot into Jahvid Best the team isn't going to invest a lot in another running back (even as a compliment to Best). I think Levy should be able to hold down one of the linebacker spots going into 2011. Assuming we will be picking where I think we will (in the 5-12 range), left tackle, defensive end, and corner back are probably the most realistic options in the first round.

Brothgar
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
LT is easily going to be a need next season regardless of if Backus does well or not. He's going to be pushing 34-35 Backus isn't Orlando Pace, Walter Jones or John Ogden he can't play at a high level for much longer.

Brodeur
05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Fox can be groomed to replace him and Backus probably has 2-3 more years left. I wouldn't say LT is a definite need.

Prowler
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
i like the idea of strengthening a certain unit. this season was dline. next should probably be the secondary. we could spend the 1st round pick on almost any position, but the rest of the draft and offseason would probably be spent on adding 3 more bodies in the secondary.

use the first rounder on a DE, RB, WR, CB, whatever we believe will have the biggest impact.

WMD
05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't think running back will be a need, at least not a major one next year. After investing a lot into Jahvid Best the team isn't going to invest a lot in another running back (even as a compliment to Best). I think Levy should be able to hold down one of the linebacker spots going into 2011. Assuming we will be picking where I think we will (in the 5-12 range), left tackle, defensive end, and corner back are probably the most realistic options in the first round.
Yeah, I'm thinking we pick around the same area.

I'm not expecting us to be very good, but I also have a hard time trying to figure out what could be so bad on our team that would cause us to lose 10+ games. The DL looks to be real nice, the OL seems solid and the passing game should work fine.. I guess our Secondary and Running game could give us problems.

Hopefully we can draw up some better 3rd down plays too. Linehan made a few pretty bad play calls last year on 3rd or when we went for it on 4th.

Addict
05-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Fox can be groomed to replace him and Backus probably has 2-3 more years left. I wouldn't say LT is a definite need.

Fox is more a right tackle.

Also WMD, if Best works out, then we'd only need to draft a big body running back. Those can be had in the 4th-5th round.

Scotty D
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Also WMD, if Best works out, then we'd only need to draft a big body running back. Those can be had in the 4th-5th round.

I agree. Fox will be more valuable at RT. I want a left tackle with elite talent.

Prowler
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
technically backus is more appropriate at RT too. lack of elite kick slide. i think fox is backus' long lost son.

SINCE1978
05-04-2010, 08:19 PM
technically backus is more appropriate at RT too. lack of elite kick slide. i think fox is backus' long lost son.

Easy fella ... Backus is not that old! ;o) Fox is his "little brother". Michigan Wolverines love that phrase anyway.

WMD
05-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Yeah definitely. I wasn't listing Round 1 needs.. just things we might have to address next year. I'd expect us to pick LT, DE, or CB in Round 1.

SINCE1978
05-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah definitely. I wasn't listing Round 1 needs.. just things we might have to address next year. I'd expect us to pick LT, DE, or CB in Round 1.

That's a solid list ... I would add S. The secondary with Spievey, Houston, Wade & Delmas is better but not to my liking yet. Our push up front on the Dline will likely cover some of what is still lacking in the secondary.

Addict
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
That's a solid list ... I would add S. The secondary with Spievey, Houston, Wade & Delmas is better but not to my liking yet. Our push up front on the Dline will likely cover some of what is still lacking in the secondary.

not in the first silly! first round safeties are a luxury, unless it's a giant hole on the team. S isn't nearly our top problem. A need, yes. But a need level of a second to fourth-round pick, depending on what's available. Not first.

dannyz
06-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Peterson would be a great pick and maybe get a LT like Barksdale in the 2ND would be a steal. I think like a WR like Ryan Broyles in the 3RD to help Calvin and Stafford.

Prowler
06-25-2010, 06:20 AM
CB, DE, and OT are what I want at the top of the draft. Hopefully Fox develops over the next couple of years. We could really use an elite option at corner. Peterson has a great synergy of being one of the top prospects and being a huge need for us. I would also love to have a top DE. KVB isn't exactly young and we should continue to build on our defensive rotation with quality edge rushers. Offensive tackle is a bit tougher to project until after the season begins. Will Cherilus play up to his potential and get better mentally? Does Backus continue his solid enough play from last year? Will Fox develop into something more than a swingman at tackle?

Stafford's development and recognition at the line of scrimmage will help to determine his health this year. However, Castonzo is worth watching and his play could dictate what our pick will be. Offensive tackle is such a crapshoot sometimes and I have no idea yet who will ultimately be #1.

In an ideal world, without factoring in contracts or anything except completing the football team:

1. Peterson
2. Quinn
3. Castonzo

I also wouldn't mind another RB to complement Best. Also, if for some reason Peterson, Quinn, and Castonzo were picked ahead of us...then i wouldn't mind AJ Green for value. Burleson in the slot would lengthen his career and allow us to not have to depend on Derrick Williams' development or getting anything out of Bryant Johnson.

Might as well throw in an insanely early mock draft. I'm going to pretend that we're picking in the 5th-8th range. Assuming a couple QBs go early, then Quinn is off the board...

1. Peterson-CB LSU
I wouldn't mind going with Brandon Harris CB Miami(FL) in the 2nd if we go DE
2. Bruce Carter-LB UNC
How many 4-3 Linebackers fall to the top of the 2nd Round every year? BPA.
3. Evan Royster-RB Penn State
Our Marion Barber to Jahvid's Felix Jones. Also a good Spot to go with a Safety.
4. Justin Boren-G Ohio State
Just to see how much Michigan fans remember who he is...Hopefully he won't quit our team to join the Browns. Could easily have gone with Moffitt from Wisconsin.
5. Jaiquawn Jarrett-S Temple
Still searching for Delmas' partner in the secondary. DeAndre Brown-WR S. Miss if we addressed safety earlier.

tblain1
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Woops, posted in the wrong thread...

frubulubu
06-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree with Prowler and also have the same positions at want/need as well. I dont really like putting names out this early because the top players will switch rankings most likely.

Prowler
06-30-2010, 08:21 AM
if anybody can manage to nail the top 5 end of season rankings for offensive tackle then i'd rep them everyday for a month.

for all i know it could end up
1. Barksdale-LSU
2. Castonzo-BC
3. Pinkston-Pitt
4. Carimi-Wisconsin
5. Ziemba-Auburn

SINCE1978
07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/07/06/national.grades.draft/index.html

Early list from SI of top 25 SENIOR prospects for 2011 ... it's defensively loaded (16 of 25 guys on D) I think secondary is the target area to improve & if an "elite" LT slips to our pick we should take him.

dannyz
07-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I think a good LT will fall to the 2ND and the Lions can get one.

dannyz
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
The Lions should take Patrick Peterson in the First and Barksdale in the 2ND. Move Cherlius to RG, Baksdale to RT, Fox to LG and then Draft a guy like D.J. Fluker in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Prowler
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
schwartz has already ruled out cherilus moving inside to guard. its tackle or bust for him. i actually think our oline won't be too bad this year. its not good, but should at least be average.

SINCE1978
08-04-2010, 08:53 PM
The Lions should take Patrick Peterson in the First and Barksdale in the 2ND. Move Cherlius to RG, Baksdale to RT, Fox to LG and then Draft a guy like D.J. Fluker in the 2012 NFL Draft.

This guy has it all figured out ... I've been away most of the summer & come back to this power post ... ughh ;o} LOL!!!
I will not bust your chops too bad dannyz ... you must be a Lion's fan if you are forecasting out into the 2012 draft already! (haha) So if you are a Lion's fan in Omaha, NE I know why. Go Suh, KVB, Big Dom etc ... & welcome to the Big 10 Huskers.

Now a little poetry ... Cherilus would never in a million years be a successful NFL RG, nor Fox a LG?!?! Whoa dude. Fox is clearly being groomed as a tackle & if Cherilus has another inconsistent year the writing is on the walls as another 1st round bust could be cut or traded. As for the guards ... Peterman & Sims seem pretty solid in the middle to me? Besides both those cats you mentioned are all of 6-7. Not too man 6-7 G's in the NFL for these reasons: 1) QB's just can not throw over them in the interior lanes. 2) They can not pull by nature of getting out of their stance quick enough. 3)Blitzers can get underneath them for leverage. Plus, I have several old postings on position changes in football, especially along the Oline, where on paper & in theory they sound great ... BUT in real life they are a VERY difficult to adapt to on the field. Not impossible but difficult. (Google Jon Jansen's explanation if you do not believe me)

detroit4life
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
im pretty sure this draft it completely dependent on backus's play and the improvement of Fox. If at the end of this year we do not see anyone who can step in at LT and truly protect Stafford it must be the pick.

We have too much invested on offense to neglect such an important decision. Trust me I would rather go all defense next year allowing us to get an impact CB and DE but with the DE's that are in this league (allen and peppers) along with GB's very good dline we need to make sure stafford is protected as much as possible.

With that said hopefully avril steps up big with our much improved line and get double digit sacks. If not im sure this will be his last year in detroit

SINCE1978
08-05-2010, 06:51 PM
It's a coin flip to me with DE or LT most valuable. Protect the franchise (QB) or get pressure & wreak havoc. Since Backus has been consistently serviceable for so many years & that DE spot has been a revolving door since Porcher, I almost think DE is the #1 option. I mean, like you said, it depends on how diminished Backus's skills are after this season.

2 things ... 1) this next draft is likely going to be loaded with rush D-ends. The talent at that position is very impressive so maybe even rd 2? 2) Wanting Avril to succeed is a good thought but when is WHEN???

detroit4life
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
i agree but at this point if we need to choose between a DE and CB right now i'd take a CB. Our Dline has already transformed into a position of strength for us even with a hole at DE. Suh Williams Hill and KVB are looking like they will do their fair share of havoc. a great DE added would be huge but our secondary has so many holes its scary.

At this point an argument can be made for OT DE and CB. and i think there isn't a clear cut #1 right now. I think its a wait and see at this point depending on the performance of guys like Speivey, Avril, Fox, and Backus. Hopefully some of these young guys step up and change our needs perception this year, or backus protects staffords blind side

SINCE1978
08-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Spivey is not doing himself any favors in the coaches minds so far from what I read ... but I guess it's still early? Still a head scratcher with him ... he played in a zone scheme mostly @ Iowa & Detroit is mostly man coverage, I wondered about the fit?
To me there are 3 early front runners for CB picks in the top 20: Peterson, Amukamara & A. Williams would all be prime picks with Detroit's #1 in 2011. With Lawrence Jackson added this week & the promise Willie Young shows, DE is not likely a 1st round "need" right now. (although the thoughts of a Greg Romeus excites me)

SINCE1978
09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Scott's 1st mock is out ... I LOVE his selection for Detroit (Peterson) kid looks amazing against NC tonight returning the ball. I DO NOT LOVE he has us drafting #5? ;o)

Prowler
09-05-2010, 09:22 AM
So....Peterson had like 257 return yards and a td. Also had 5 tackles. Special teams help plus good tackler...sounds like a great guy to draft.

SINCE1978
09-05-2010, 05:21 PM
All that while Les Miles had Peterson sitting the bench in stretches of the 2nd half to get experience to younger players. He also left for the locker room with 2:00 left in the half! Amazing effort, UNC's special teams units were in shambles with all teh suspensions ... but PP was everywhere!

detroit4life
09-05-2010, 07:17 PM
right now im not sure we'll be in a position to draft peterson. Looking at scotts first round tho i think that no matter what we'll be in a position to draft an impact player at either of our 3 big needs in DE CB and OT. LB i'd rather wait until 2nd or 3rd

WMD
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
After seeing the game today, it looks like we need to draft a Referee with our Round 1 pick.

What do you guys think?

Brodeur
09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
After seeing the game today, it looks like we need to draft a Referee with our Round 1 pick.

What do you guys think?

I'm on board.

detroit4life
09-12-2010, 11:55 PM
round 1- ot
round 2- oline
round 3- cb

WMD
09-13-2010, 12:47 AM
round 1- ot
round 2- oline
round 3- cb
It'll be tough to pass on an OT but I think I'd rather get Patrick Peterson. OT in Round 2 and LB in Round 3.. and then another LB and CB in there somewhere.

Addict
09-13-2010, 04:48 AM
round 1- ot
round 2- oline
round 3- cb

round 1 - commish
round 2 - ref
round 3 - LT.

Go Blue
09-13-2010, 11:34 AM
It'll be tough to pass on an OT but I think I'd rather get Patrick Peterson. OT in Round 2 and LB in Round 3.. and then another LB and CB in there somewhere.

i disagree. how long can we go let our franchise keep getting pummled by Backus`s shoddy play? We need an elite left tackle pronto!

Silver & Blue
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I doubt this would ever happen, but would be awesome if it did. What if we drafted Patrick Peterson this year and then after we get done with the draft, we offer our 2012 1st and 2nd round picks to the Cleveland Browns for Joe Thomas and maybe throw another one of our players in their too along with the draft picks. I highly doubt the Browns would ever do this, but it might be worth trying.

Prowler
09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
joe would never be traded, not even for that. i don't believe in the tackles in next year's draft. I'd rather settle for a 2nd or 3rd round tackle and take the top tier talent at corner than reach and get an average tackle.

noondog
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I still want the Lions to go with Patrick Peterson in the first round this year. I'd like to see them make a play for Marcus McNeil from S.D. to address tackle, ideally before the week 6 deadline. Maybe a package of a 3rd and a 5th along with Gosder or something.

Silver & Blue
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
joe would never be traded, not even for that. i don't believe in the tackles in next year's draft. I'd rather settle for a 2nd or 3rd round tackle and take the top tier talent at corner than reach and get an average tackle.

Thats the problem with next years draft, there aren't really any tackles worth taking where were picking. So we pretty much have to take Patrick Peterson, which I have no problem with because I have been wanting him for a while now. But we need to try and do something with that LT position. Backus has been alright but this injury to Stafford is bringing up questions again. We need to at least try to pickup a great LT either through trade or free agency. It would be nice if someone like Gabe Carimi would fall to us in the second though.

georgiafan
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I know its not a need now, but im stilll holding out hope I get a Stafford - A.J Green reuinon.

Addict
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I know its not a need now, but im stilll holding out hope I get a Stafford - A.J Green reuinon.

what you're saying is Detroit should draft a wide receiver in the first round?

Silver & Blue
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Matt Millen is that you?

georgiafan
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM
i know they should i just want them to bc im a UGA fan and they only got 1 year together in college. Right now they arent a OL that is ranked a high to draft early so they might have to look in another direction via trade.

boknows34
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I still want the Lions to go with Patrick Peterson in the first round this year. I'd like to see them make a play for Marcus McNeil from S.D. to address tackle, ideally before the week 6 deadline. Maybe a package of a 3rd and a 5th along with Gosder or something.

My thoughts exactly. McNeil makes a lot of sense and that's a trade I would do in a heartbeat. It would stop them reaching for a LT in the 1st rd and allow them to concentrate on defense.

The Lions actually have a better chance of grabbing Peterson now that Stafford is hurt and will likely miss half the season. A shutdown CB like Peterson or Prince A, trade for McNeil and then use the 2nd rd (provided they don't send it to the Chargers under such a scenario) on a OLB or more OL help.

detroit4life
09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
this is all true. But we need to address OT and we need to do it fast. Watching stafford get hit like that scares the crap outa me and we cant let it happen over and over again

Addict
09-15-2010, 04:57 AM
this is all true. But we need to address OT and we need to do it fast. Watching stafford get hit like that scares the crap outa me and we cant let it happen over and over again

he's an NFL QB, he's gonna get hit no matter what. The Lions need talent more than they need anything else. If there's no elite LT available next year, I say we grab Peterson and try to get lucky in the second round.

And for god's sake we need to get Staff a few lessons in how not to land on your throwing shoulder.

Prowler
09-15-2010, 08:56 AM
In a couple years it will be illegal to touch the qb. We shouldn't even bother with an oline.

P-L
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, we need to upgrade left tackle. However, taking a left tackle just to take one is stupid. Let me use Scott's car analogy. If you buy an expensive car you're not going to overpay for a below average insurance policy that offers little coverage, just for the sake of having an insurance policy.

Addict
09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, we need to upgrade left tackle. However, taking a left tackle just to take one is stupid. Let me use Scott's car analogy. If you buy an expensive car you're not going to overpay for a below average insurance policy that offers little coverage, just for the sake of having an insurance policy.

on the other hand, Scott always says if you don't have a franchise QB etc. etc. and he's right. but right now we've got a potential franchise QB, but we're ruining him by giving him the David Carr treatment.

If there is an LT out there worthy of a high pick, we can't afford not to take him.

Brodeur
09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
The line is not THAT bad, so no we aren't giving him the David Carr treatment.

Addict
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM
The line is not THAT bad, so no we aren't giving him the David Carr treatment.

I'll admit to that being a little hyperbolic.

detroit4life
09-15-2010, 06:02 PM
problem is we're in a division that has 2 of the best DE's in the game. That being said we also have a 2nd year QB that has separated his throwing shoulder twice.

if there's not an elite DE available then lets trade for a veteran LT. If it takes our 2nd round pick so be it. We can get all the talent in the world but if we have a QB who gets killed every game and continues to get hurt we still won't win.

detroit4life
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
to be honest, like someone said earlier, i'd be all for biting the bullet and working a trade for Marcus Mcniel. we'd have to pay up, in money and probably send a 3rd and either a guy like goz or maybe a 5th, not really sure, but why not just sack up and fix this problem now. Move backus to RT and all of a sudden we have a very good oline.

tblain1
09-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I'll admit to that being a little hyperbolic.

Injured three times in 17-games worth of NFL season. He's definitely not being done any favors.

Addict
09-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Injured three times in 17-games worth of NFL season. He's definitely not being done any favors.

that was my point. We're not exactly helping him out

detroit4life
10-11-2010, 12:36 AM
So seeing everyone have us taking peterson makes me happy. He would add a lot of much needed help...

but just a thought how would you guys feel about going DE? I know its not a need like CB is but adding clayborn or a caliber DE like that would rly make our Dline scary

Scotty D
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
So seeing everyone have us taking peterson makes me happy. He would add a lot of much needed help...

but just a thought how would you guys feel about going DE? I know its not a need like CB is but adding clayborn or a caliber DE like that would rly make our Dline scary

I wouldn't mind it at all. Houston has been solid and Alphonso Smith has the talent to hold down a starting job. You have to think they will target a CB in free agency or trade. Champ Bailey's contract is up, Cromartie should hit the market, and I think Richard Marshall will be available.

Robert Quinn just was declared ineligible for the season. He could be an option. I like Avril but he could excel in coming off the bench. Mayhew won't draft a player because of a pressing need. If there is a DE rated higher than Peterson they will draft him.

LOltheLions?
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't mind it at all. Houston has been solid and Alphonso Smith has the talent to hold down a starting job. You have to think they will target a CB in free agency or trade. Champ Bailey's contract is up, Cromartie should hit the market, and I think Richard Marshall will be available.

Robert Quinn just was declared ineligible for the season. He could be an option. I like Avril but he could excel in coming off the bench. Mayhew won't draft a player because of a pressing need. If there is a DE rated higher than Peterson they will draft him.

if we re-sign Houston, sign Richard Marshall, and maybe draft a CB in the 4th or 5th round, i'd be OK with that. But if we don't target a CB in the free agency, then we need to spend a 1st or 2nd on a CB

Prowler
10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
the corner backs are too good this year, i would like to take advantage of their depth and take at least one in the first couple of rounds. i want a homegrown talent instead of a FA. CB, Oline, and BPA in no order for the first 3 rounds.

Addict
10-11-2010, 04:53 PM
the corner backs are too good this year, i would like to take advantage of their depth and take at least one in the first couple of rounds. i want a homegrown talent instead of a FA. CB, Oline, and BPA in no order for the first 3 rounds.

it really depends on where we end up with the draft what we need to get first: one side of me says we gotta get a LT for Stafford, but if we gotta reach over 10 spots to get one, with a potential franchise CB on the board, I'd go pass D.

Scotty D
10-11-2010, 04:58 PM
What about MSU MLB Greg Jones in the second?

Prowler
10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
yeah I feel Greg Jones is a good choice, and exciting for our D if we get Peterson too.

i'm leaning

1) Peterson
2) A. Best available OT- Sherrod or Love hopefully
B. Greg Jones
C. Safety Deunta Williams
D. Jeremy Beal Oklahoma DE
3) Greg Little UNC WR
Greg Romeus Pitt DE depending on how his back looks.

With that said, I really wouldn't be too upset if we went

1) Castanzo LT
2) Brandon Harris Miami U CB
3) Leonard Hankerson Miami U WR
4) John Moffitt Wisconsin G
Sometime)Follett's Replacement
Late) Markus White Florida State DE
there are a ton of names that I wouldn't mind having and I can understand going either way in the draft.

Names List
Top Round 1
Peterson LSU CB
Castanzo Boston College OT
Prince Amukamara Nebraska CB
Robert Quinn UNC DE

Trade Down Round 1
Brandon Harris Miami U CB
Bruce Carter UNC OLB
Aaron Williams Texas CB
Derek Sherrod Miss St OT

Round 2
Greg Jones Mich St LB-We Probably have to upgrade Follett this offseason.
DeMarcus Love Arkansas OT
Deunta Williams UNC S
Jeremy Beal Oklahoma DE
Ryan Broyles Oklahoma WR
Mikel Leshoure Illinois RB
Ras-I Dowling Virgina CB
Julio Jones Alabama WR

Round 3
Orlando Franklin Miami U OG-GTFO of here Peterman, great run blocker
Leonard Hankerson Miami U WR
Greg Little UNC WR
Greg Romeus Pitt DE

Quick Needs Chart
1) Secondary-Size/Talent at CB, Safety 2
2) Upgrade over Follett. (Bruce Carter, Travis Lewis, Greg Jones)
3) DE. KVB will be 32.
4) Left Tackle. Backus will be 34.
5) Quality Slot WR with Return Ability. (Ryan Broyles)
6) RB. Durability Concerns for Best, Morris and Smith are questions to return.
7) Interior Oline Depth C/G. We are screwed if Raiola gets hurt and he'll be 32.

LOltheLions?
10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
What about MSU MLB Greg Jones in the second?

Im sure we could get him in the 3rd round. Hes terrible in coverage

SINCE1978
10-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I like Mark Barron S Bama ... with Detroit's rd 2 pick. CC Brown is a back up & Spievy is a mystery as a "hybrid" DB?!? I lock in on Peterson or Husker Prince #1 & Barron or Duenta Williams (UNC S) #2. That is my October strategy to be changed at a later date.

*** OLB is a 1b need. I like the Bruce Carter nailer out of UNC. I also think Herzlich out of BC is on a mission to prove he is a pro caliber player. Something about him fits Jim Schwartz to me. ;o)

Just my draft thoughts.

Prowler
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
i wouldn't mind trading back into the 1st round for bruce carter. then we'd have two of the most physically gifted athletes in the draft. (and peterson)

Prowler
10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
7 @ Giants-Loss
8 vs Washington-Win
9 vs New York Jets-Loss
10 @ Buffalo-Win
11 @ Dallas-Sadly for them it may be a Toss Up but I'll say Loss.
12 vs New England-Loss
13 vs Chicago-Win
14 vs Green Bay-Loss, no way they show up unprepared and embarrassed again
15 @Tampa Bay-Win
16 @ Miami-Loss, but maybe win if they quit in week 16.
17 vs Minnesota-Loss

I have us going 4-7 to finish the season 5-11.

2 Teams that will probably finish worse than us.
Buffalo: 0-5
Panthers: 0-5

3 Teams that will be in our neighborhood.
49ers: 0-5. They are a mystery with 5 games against Rams, Cards, and Panthers. But they have to go here for now.
Browns: 1-4. They are starting Colt McCoy in division with Steelers & Ravens.
Raiders: 2-3. They tend to win games they shouldn't. 49ers, KC, plus one more give them 5-11 season.

3 Teams that will probably be slightly ahead of us
Rams: 2-3. Schedule: Tampa, Carolina, San Franx2, Arizona, KC, Seattle
Seahawks: 2-2. Pete Carroll and weak division keep them ahead of us.
Cardinals: 3-2. Max Hall vs weak schedule.

2 Teams that are in our neighborhood now, but won't when the season ends.
Vikings: 1-3
Cowboys: 1-3

I'm putting us in the neighborhood of the 4th/5th Pick.

Quick Mock of Teams without Detroit being slotted 1st Choice/2nd/3rd
1) Buffalo-Andrew Luck/Jake Locker/Ryan Mallett/Castonzo
2) Panthers-AJ Green/Dareus
3) Browns-Jake Locker/Marcel Dareus
4) 49ers-Mallett/Patrick Peterson/Robert Quinn
5) NE(from Oak)-Dareus/Ingram/Castonzo
6) Rams-Robert Quinn/Peterson/Prince
7) Cardinals-Peterson/Prince Amukamura/Mallett
8) Seahawks-Adrian Clayborn/Prince

If we want Peterson, then we need the 49ers to step their game up or Alex Smith to suck a bit more with Mallett stepping his game up. With that said, we can pretty much guarentee Peterson or Prince, and the option of Castonzo should be wide open if we go on a winning streak.

SINCE1978
10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
i wouldn't mind trading back into the 1st round for bruce carter. then we'd have two of the most physically gifted athletes in the draft. (and peterson)

That would be a sweet strategy! 2 of the most dominate defensive players in the draft in Peterson & Carter. Both would be starters. (like the Suh/Best draft strategy from this year)

Prowler
10-13-2010, 09:08 PM
this draft is loaded with skill position guys, but is otherwise top-heavy. I'm not really too concerned about getting rid of later picks if we can get more out of the 1st and 2nd rounds.

tblain1
10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
That would be a sweet strategy! 2 of the most dominate defensive players in the draft in Peterson & Carter. Both would be starters. (like the Suh/Best draft strategy from this year)

Yeah Peterson if we pick really really early, otherwise with a mid-early pick I like Akamura (sp) or Quinn, although he might drop with his suspension.

Are there any tackles yet projected in the top ten? Any guards we could take in the 2nd round? I'd like to see us use one of the two early picks on the line. I think backus if good at LT (I don't blame him for the Peppers sack as much as it being 'no one' can really stop Peppers), but we can use more talent in other areas. RT, either guard....

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah Peterson if we pick really really early, otherwise with a mid-early pick I like Akamura (sp) or Quinn, although he might drop with his suspension.

Are there any tackles yet projected in the top ten? Any guards we could take in the 2nd round? I'd like to see us use one of the two early picks on the line. I think backus if good at LT (I don't blame him for the Peppers sack as much as it being 'no one' can really stop Peppers), but we can use more talent in other areas. RT, either guard....

I really don't see us taking a guard unless they are clearly BPA. Raiola and Peterman were extended by this FO and still have 2 years left. Peterman has been playing poorly(mainly penalites and run blocking) and Raiola is Raiola in the run blocking dept but I just don't see them being replaced unless they severely tank the remaining 11 games. Rob Sims was just extended for 4 years. Jason Fox is next in line if Gosder tanks, but Gosder has been playing better. Backus is the only one I could see being replaced in Round 2 or Round 1 if LT is clearly BPA over a CB/OLB/DE. But except for the Peppers sack, Backus has been playing fairly well once again. One more year of Backus at LT wouldn't surpise me. A nice road grading guard or center would make me happy but I see the focus being in the back 7 with CB and OLB.

Prowler
10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
i have came to realize more and more that this is one of the worst drafts in recent years for left tackles. its probably from not watching enough college football since i work every saturday. however, anytime that the top left tackle might not go until 15-20, its definitely slim pickings. with the value on the board, i kinda want a wide receiver so we can run bryant johnson and stefan logan out of town. we'll say 3rd or 4th round and Ronald Johnson out of USC. Really, any kind of skill weapon for Stafford would do there.
My Hopeful Mock
1. Peterson CB LSU
2. Bruce Carter OLB UNC
3. Greg Romeus DE Pitt
4. Ronald Johnson WR/RS USC
5. Quinton Carter S Oklahoma/Will Hill S Florida(i've seen mocks with Carter this low and with him 2nd rated S)
6. Kai Forbath K UCLA
7. Markus White DE Florida State

Hopefully Akeem Ayers keeps performing well and the trend of linebackers falling to the 2nd round continues.

*and yes, I think I'll end up doing one of these every day until the draft*

Scotty D
10-15-2010, 08:57 AM
i have came to realize more and more that this is one of the worst drafts in recent years for left tackles. its probably from not watching enough college football since i work every saturday. however, anytime that the top left tackle might not go until 15-20, its definitely slim pickings. with the value on the board, i kinda want a wide receiver so we can run bryant johnson and stefan logan out of town. we'll say 3rd or 4th round and Ronald Johnson out of USC. Really, any kind of skill weapon for Stafford would do there.
My Hopeful Mock
1. Peterson CB LSU
2. Bruce Carter OLB UNC
3. Greg Romeus DE Pitt
4. Ronald Johnson WR/RS USC
5. Quinton Carter S Oklahoma/Will Hill S Florida(i've seen mocks with Carter this low and with him 2nd rated S)
6. Kai Forbath K UCLA
7. Markus White DE Florida State

Hopefully Akeem Ayers keeps performing well and the trend of linebackers falling to the 2nd round continues.

*and yes, I think I'll end up doing one of these every day until the draft*

A couple late first OTs I like are Derrick Sherrod and Demarcus Love. I wouldn't mind moving up to draft them. I was hoping Marcus McNeil would have a falling out with the Chargers and hit the market but he re-signed.

I think Ayers could be slotted in to Julian Peterson's role. We really need a LB. Levy should have been put on the PUP. Peterson will be 33 and an expiring contract.

Newbs24
10-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I would say take Peterson and be happy. Just like Suh this year, he is a game changer.
For 2012, take Vontaze Burfict from Arizona St and have a beast MLB for the next decade. All 3 levels would have cornerstones for the franchise in it. Thats what it takes. Burfict is about legit as it gets as a MIKE.

Silver & Blue
10-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I would say take Peterson and be happy. Just like Suh this year, he is a game changer.
For 2012, take Vontaze Burfict from Arizona St and have a beast MLB for the next decade. All 3 levels would have cornerstones for the franchise in it. Thats what it takes. Burfict is about legit as it gets as a MIKE.

Patrick Peterson should be the obvious choice for the Lions. But I just did some research on Vontaze Burfict and there is only one thing I can say is that he is MONSTER!!! He would definitely be perfect for the MLB position in Detroit. I love his intensity and he shows no hesitation in putting a big hit on someone.

Here are his stats:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480353

And a short, but sweet video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OKP-BGpe3A

Newbs24
10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
He is a little crazy with the personal fouls but hopefully he can get rid of them. I like Shane Skov from Stanford as well.

For this Draft, I like Martez Wilson from lllinois. I think he will test out GREAT and with good coaching could be a steal. Kid is athletic as hell but just not coached to be a MLB. He could be a real good OLB too.

Prowler
11-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Chris Houston is not only bucking this trend, he is also making a case for a potential Pro Bowl nomination. His 4.9 YPA is the type of mark that would normally end up ranking among the top 20 cornerbacks in that category at season's end. Alphonso Smith, Houston's cornerback battery mate, isn't quite in that class, but his 6.1 YPA mark is not far behind.

One player who is helping make that possible is NFL defensive rookie of the year front-runner Ndamukong Suh. His 6.5 sacks are the most of any defensive tackle in the league this season, but he is also proving to be a dominant force against the run. He has won nine out of 34 one-on-one point of attack (POA) blocks so far this year. That equates to a 26.5 percent POA win rate, which places him only a few percentage points below the 30 percent mark that is the benchmark for excellence in this category.

awesome little facts that show how well we're turning things around.

Silver & Blue
11-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Well looking at the standings it looks like we have moved back into the 5th overall spot which puts us closer to Peterson again. Now if the Cowboys could just win some games...

Also I want to point out one linebacker I saw that we could get in the second round. I came across Dontay Moch and this guy is a freak of nature. He weighs about 245 and back in August he ran a 4.08, 4.18, and 4.20 consecutively. Here is a article on it:http://www.nfldraftbible.com/NFL-Insider-Insider-info/de-dontay-moch-runs-the-fastest-40-time-ever.html

wingboy2999
11-07-2010, 07:08 PM
GREG ROMEUS OR JABAAL SHEARD WILL BE BEASTS!

Or we can take man child Jonathan Baldwin in the 2nd... if he drops.

WMD
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
We're gonna need to acquire somewhere around 6 LB's in the offseason.

Also some non-penalty getting offensive linemen would help us out a lot.

Addict
11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
We're gonna need to acquire somewhere around 6 LB's in the offseason.

Also some non-penalty getting offensive linemen would help us out a lot.

we can't draft Stafford a new shoulder, can we?

tblain1
11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
we can't draft Stafford a new shoulder, can we?

Maybe we can draft Ryan Mallett and use hims for Stafford spare parts.

Newbs24
11-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Well looking at the standings it looks like we have moved back into the 5th overall spot which puts us closer to Peterson again. Now if the Cowboys could just win some games...

Also I want to point out one linebacker I saw that we could get in the second round. I came across Dontay Moch and this guy is a freak of nature. He weighs about 245 and back in August he ran a 4.08, 4.18, and 4.20 consecutively. Here is a article on it:http://www.nfldraftbible.com/NFL-Insider-Insider-info/de-dontay-moch-runs-the-fastest-40-time-ever.html

If he plays fast thats one thing because Kevin Jones was talked about as a 4.2 guy and he was about as slow as any RB I can remember.

Still like going CB-LB in 1-2 unless a LT is a hot name.

wingboy2999
11-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Patrick Peterson here we come.

Silver & Blue
11-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Patrick Peterson here we come.

We just need to have Dallas win there game.

detroit4life
11-15-2010, 07:19 AM
looks like we've found ourselves right back in the peterson mix. Problem is we also may have the inside track to the #1 pick again...

tblain1
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
looks like we've found ourselves right back in the peterson mix. Problem is we also may have the inside track to the #1 pick again...

Do Buffalo have another win left in them?
Or maybe better question is do we?

I still think we can pull one win out somewhere. 3rd year in a row with a #1 would be a complete financial albatross although in theory the rookie salary structure should get reworked under the new CBA before we have to sign anyone.

Boy up until yesterday I thought we might be able to take Dallas. Now Minnesota at home? Chicago won yesterday but I think they are still beatable.

wingboy2999
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
We are currently sitting at #3.

detroit4life
11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
if we loose to cowboys our best shot is minnesota. this looks like a very different team without stafford and im expecting this injury to really hurt the overall morale in the locker room with the way they went so quickly from looking so good to losing to the bills

tonykart
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Peterson round 1
Sheppard round 2

tonykart
11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
This team is so terrible and has so many holes. We need secondary, linebackers, o-line, and a running back. Please bring the Tuna in.

DrunkenLament
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
This team is so terrible and has so many holes. We need secondary, linebackers, o-line, and a running back. Please bring the Tuna in.

Yes, thats exactly what this team needs. Another change of direction after two years.

tonykart
11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, thats exactly what this team needs. Another change of direction after two years.

Schwartz is a good coach and his drafting has been better than that of the Millen era, but the only guarantee in the NFL is that Bill Parcells will fix your terrible team in two years. He has succeeded everywhere he has gone and Detroit would only be another success story.

Parcells not only drafts talent, but he builds a solid coaching staff. The guy assembles a winning environment top to bottom. The problem with the Lions is not just in the talent department. I see no better solution.

Look at what we have right now... not much. Its been two drafts with Schwartz now. Don't confuse a team that is better with a team that is good. We still have not addressed our offensive line, our linebackers, our secondary and our running backs.

I would take one more poor season and know that in Parcells second year we will at LEAST be a .500 football team.

Prowler
11-19-2010, 07:11 AM
our team has been completely overhauled. do you honestly believe that anybody could have done a better job than schwartz/mayhew in the past couple years?

Stafford, Hill, Best, Burleson, Pettigrew, Scheff, Sims, Suh, KVB, Levy, Peterson, Delmas, Houston, Smith.

what more could Parcells have done? our team was seriously f'd up and it takes a while to fix it. this was our first year of actually being competitive, but we still have holes to fix. lets let them do their jobs and finish this thing before we have to blow it all up again.

J255979-11nine
11-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Schwartz is a good coach and his drafting has been better than that of the Millen era, but the only guarantee in the NFL is that Bill Parcells will fix your terrible team in two years. He has succeeded everywhere he has gone and Detroit would only be another success story.

Parcells not only drafts talent, but he builds a solid coaching staff. The guy assembles a winning environment top to bottom. The problem with the Lions is not just in the talent department. I see no better solution.

Look at what we have right now... not much. Its been two drafts with Schwartz now. Don't confuse a team that is better with a team that is good. We still have not addressed our offensive line, our linebackers, our secondary and our running backs.

I would take one more poor season and know that in Parcells second year we will at LEAST be a .500 football team.

Seeing how the team played with Stafford at the helm the team already looked like a .500 team. Show me how many 2nd year coaches can still win games with there backup QB.

xxxxxxxx
11-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Cowboys fan here. I find it hilarious that we are rooting for each others team to win and our teams to lose so our team can have Patrick Peterson, if that makes sense, lol.

If he is on the board do you think he is a lock for the lions?

Patrick Peterson Bowl tommorrow at 1 o'clock in Dallas!

Silver & Blue
11-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Cowboys fan here. I find it hilarious that we are rooting for each others team to win and our teams to lose so our team can have Patrick Peterson, if that makes sense, lol.

If he is on the board do you think he is a lock for the lions?

Patrick Peterson Bowl tommorrow at 1 o'clock in Dallas!

I think he pretty much is. Since there really isn't something like a LT that is worth taking that high. We also need more depth at linebacker, but there also isn't anybody worth taking that high either. So if Peterson is there I am 99% sure we will take him.

SINCE1978
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
It would be just like our lovely Lions to make this the year they go get that LT they have sooo coveted (the fans have at least) in the first. I say that b/c most "experts" are predicting this Oline class to be underwhelming to say the very least! (haha)

Although C. Houston & now A. Smith have showed flashes @ CB ... our 1st rounder should definitely be a CB. Peterson is the class of the position but Amukamara, Jenkins & Harris are pretty solid picks depending on how many W's they finish with this season.
I really like Bruce Carter & Justin Houston (OLB's) for the Leo's 2nd rd pick. Both are having solid seasons (Houston has 17.5 TFL / 11 sacks already!) & I have seen a few mocks where both have slipped right to the beginning of the 2nd round. Could be wishful thinking but ... CB Amukamara & OLB Houston would be adding 2 excellent athletes to the D.

Prowler
11-21-2010, 02:17 PM
could be a great year to trade down. there are about a dozen people that I would love to have on this team, and depending on our final slot we could end up with 4 picks in the top two rounds. just depends on how we can play it.

peterson or prince and sherrod?

wingboy2999
11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
It's always a great year to trade down. Until they redo the rookie salary structure, its gonna be hard to trade down.

How about we hope for a lock out, a redoing of the salary structure and then we can have a high pick in TWO drafts? Assuming they do it that way, haha.

Prowler
11-21-2010, 02:47 PM
It's always a great year to trade down. Until they redo the rookie salary structure, its gonna be hard to trade down.

How about we hope for a lock out, a redoing of the salary structure and then we can have a high pick in TWO drafts? Assuming they do it that way, haha.

worked out well for the penguins

Silver & Blue
11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Well look at it this way after the Cowboys loss, at least we are that much closer to Patrick Peterson.

wingboy2999
11-21-2010, 04:33 PM
What're we sitting at right now pick wise?

wingboy2999
11-21-2010, 04:34 PM
worked out well for the penguins

That it did. And I figured it'd go like that.

Prowler
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
That it did. And I figured it'd go like that.

it would also give stafford time to recover and maybe undergo the weapon x procedure.

Silver & Blue
11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
What're we sitting at right now pick wise?

Right now we are sitting at the #2 spot. Mainly because Buffalo decided to start winning all of a sudden. If we are still at the #2 pick when the draft comes around I think we should trade down to the #4 or #5 pick since I really don't want to take a CB at #2. But this really depends on where all of the teams fall for draft picks.

wingboy2999
11-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Right now we are sitting at the #2 spot. Mainly because Buffalo decided to start winning all of a sudden. If we are still at the #2 pick when the draft comes around I think we should trade down to the #4 or #5 pick since I really don't want to take a CB at #2. But this really depends on where all of the teams fall for draft picks.

I'm always for trading down. If we trade down from #2 to #4-6 we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder in addition. If that's the cause, we could snag a CB we wanted in the 1st and then look to LB, OT/OG and DE in the 2nd and 3rd.

It'd be ideal... but I don't see it happening.

tblain1
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Curious to see how new CBA or lack of CBA would affect the value of draft picks in the top five spots. As it is right now, they are devalued due to their price tag but if a new CBA establishes a cost sturcture for the draft picks like in the NBA, then we might finally see some top level movement again and our high picks might hold more value.

I'm all for drafting down. A lot of people like the LSU CB...definitely wouldn't mind grabbing him. I still think we gotta fix that line because our run game has been crap most of the year. Then again so is our passing defense.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Would love to move down a few spots due to our many needs still but that will only happen if someone falls in love with a QB or PP and a rookie cap is enacted. I'll give up PP if we get a future LT then OLB or SS(Round 2) and Guard or Center(Round 2) help with a Round 1 pick and 2 2nd Round picks.

Houston and Smith are playing fairly well and still have growth potential.

wingboy2999
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Would love to move down a few spots due to our many needs still but that will only happen if someone falls in love with a QB or PP and a rookie cap is enacted. I'll give up PP if we get a future LT then OLB or SS(Round 2) and Guard or Center(Round 2) help with a Round 1 pick and 2 2nd Round picks.

Houston and Smith are playing fairly well and still have growth potential.

It doesnt look like there are any OTs worth coming off the board until, at the earliest, the teens.

Scotty D
11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Trade down a couple spots and take Prince out of Nebraska. We already have Nebraska alums KVB and Suh.

Brodeur
11-22-2010, 07:03 PM
We need a Center or Right Guard the most on the line right now. I'm not that worried about drafting a future left tackle when Backus is still playing this well, and we can draft a guy to come right in and start in the future when Backus is done for (it isn't that hard anymore for a tackle to start playing well immediately). So please stop suggesting left tackles...

kpy2
11-26-2010, 02:30 AM
After watching todays game againts the pats its clear that we need defensive help. At first glance it seem prudent to get Peterson or Amaukamara, but Suh needs help, and with Bowers providing an improved pass rush the corners might improve. Also we also need help vs the run, and Bowers seems to be a stud who has finally connected the dots.

Silver & Blue
11-26-2010, 02:39 AM
After watching todays game againts the pats its clear that we need defensive help. At first glance it seem prudent to get Peterson or Amaukamara, but Suh needs help, and with Bowers providing an improved pass rush the corners might improve. Also we also need help vs the run, and Bowers seems to be a stud who has finally connected the dots.

I don't think Da'Quan Bowers would be worth it taking him that high. Our pass rush is good but we need corners like Peterson who won't get burned like Smith did today. If Peterson can lock down his guy that would buy the d-line a little more time to get to the QB.

WMD
11-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Suh has plenty of help, we don't need to address the DL at all unless it's a mid level Free Agent signing or an absolute BPA in the draft. Cliff Avril has played solid this year, and Corey Williams has played very well aside from the stupid penalties.

Hopefully we can land Patrick Peterson. After that, we need Linebackers, a guard, a center, and a Safety to replace whatever that thing is that wears #42.

detroit4life
11-26-2010, 11:27 AM
i agree i think CB is the easy pick for round 1.

LB or OG for 2nd and 3rd

weasel
11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Well. joining the conversation late, I have to say the best player available mantra brings us to Da'Quan Bowers vs. Patrick Peterson debate.
If I am Detroit Lions GM I ask which guy makes me better right away?
Bowers and Suh is a great tandem and prepares us for VandenBosh's eventual departure but it still leaves a considerable hole in the back seven.
Peterson gives us a legitimate playmaker in the back seven and we can upgrade the back seven again in FA and later in the draft even round 2. They will both be great players.
I would even consider Luck at #2.

wingboy2999
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Well. joining the conversation late, I have to say the best player available mantra brings us to Da'Quan Bowers vs. Patrick Peterson debate.
If I am Detroit Lions GM I ask which guy makes me better right away?
Bowers and Suh is a great tandem and prepares us for VandenBosh's eventual departure but it still leaves a considerable hole in the back seven.
Peterson gives us a legitimate playmaker in the back seven and we can upgrade the back seven again in FA and later in the draft even round 2. They will both be great players.
I would even consider Luck at #2.

Luck? Not gonna even address that...

I think that we need CB. No question about that. I can see maybe some type of developmental DE if/when KVB may start dropping off but it is no where even close to an immediate needs because of the fact our DL is far and away our best unit.

CB/LB/G/S is what we need to look for. I'd take a OT depending on how our developmental OT is doing [Jason Fox].

detroit4life
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
agree with everything wingboy just said

weasel
11-28-2010, 08:41 PM
imagination will go a long way. If Carolina goes with someone other than Luck, we hold a bidding war for Luck and there are several teams in need of a QB what we get we get and I'm sure it would be more than a 1st and a second. I'm just keeping it real. Drafting him a la Phillip Rivers might give us a great chance to get better.

noondog
11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I disagree with that sentiment completely. Drafting Luck, even for the sake of then trading him, would be a disaster imo. The potential for something to go sideways (i.e. everyone low-balling us and we end up with no first round pick that we can actually build with for the upcoming season) is far too great. Remember that the key in the Philip Rivers deal is that he was traded for Eli Manning...two clubs which both NEEDED a QB.

Frankly, I wouldn't be in a rush to trade down with the pick unless we're sure we can still get either Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara. We don't have nearly as many holes to fill as we did a couple of years ago, and I'd rather plug an elite prospect into a starting role than a mid-first and mid-second rounder. We will still have the pick at the top of the second as well, which should be a talented enough dude. A top-flight corner and an OLB tackling machine would be amazing and the way to go imo. A G/C can be had in the third round and still be servicable, but the D needs a couple more pieces first and foremost.

I'd also like to see either a big, bruising RB taken around the 4th round or start giving Felton some carries. I don't think that he's used well nor often enough and he could help wear down opposing D-lines.

weasel
11-29-2010, 09:29 AM
If you argue we take the best player available, how can you exclude the best players available?
If Luck or Bowers are the best available you cannot exclude them from your board. If you start factoring in Team needs and reach for a player, how is it you can claim you went with the best player available?
The answer is you did not select the best player available. A player like Bowers makes your team better and would allow you to get something in return for an Avril for example. If you think Avril will get you a second round pick for example (because he is so much better than other options at DE), you draft Bowers and trade Avril. You can also take a QB and trade that QB like the Chargers traded Brees. Simply eliminating players is not the way to build a talented roster. It really is shocking to see myopic views dominating this thought process. I thimk drafting Peterson makes sense but drafting Luck trading him and still getting Peterson or Amukamara appeals to me more.

detroit4life
11-29-2010, 09:45 AM
You dont draft 2 QB's top 3 in 3 years. end of story. If we"re going to get value for luck it would be valued highest when we"re on the closk. After that point every team knows we financially couldnt sign him and have 2 12+ millions dollar QBs on this team.

Rivers is a different scenario because teams knew they were drafting a QB just not sure which one.

Bowers could be an option and maybe he is BPA but by how much over Peterson and is that difference big enough to take a position of strength over need? probably not and adding bowers while it would make us better, would not make us better than if we added a stud CB.

With that said we don't really need a starting Dline getting paid over 30 mil a year and while finances are sometimes overlooked we're about to have drafted in the top 3 3 years in a row and the position we draft might have to start having an impact

weasel
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Well we don't know the financial implications or the NFL CBA terms right now, but if there is a rookie cap and we can get Peterson and a pick then you are dead wrong. The Lions are not in a position to pass on the best player available. No team should be in the position to draft #2 but we are. Passing on the most valuable to fill a need is just ignorant.

Prowler
11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
The only way I'm drafting Luck is if I feel that Stafford's shoulder is permanently damaged. Bradford and McCoy have shown that its possible to return from AC fractures. Bradford actually had a nylon thread used to put his clavicle back in place and secure the joint. On the other hand....Chad Pennington (and Stafford)has shown us that maybe those two have just been lucky so far.

With that being said....we can't go Luck this draft unless the confidential MRIs and doctor reports state that Stafford's shoulder is at serious risk of reinjury. Even if that were to occur, then we'd have to probably cut Stafford or force him to retire to cover the cost of signing Luck. If we could get Luck for $5 million a season, then yes I would definitely consider it. Frankly, we have too much invested in Stafford emotionally and financially to take a QB this draft.

It is between Bowers and Peterson for me. Peterson gets the nod because of Smith's exposure last week. I do want to see the combine results and watch them workout.

*Note- I'm not that worried about our draft position yet. I feel that we are better than some teams out there and we should end up with another win or two and move down a couple of picks.

wingboy2999
11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
If you argue we take the best player available, how can you exclude the best players available?
If Luck or Bowers are the best available you cannot exclude them from your board. If you start factoring in Team needs and reach for a player, how is it you can claim you went with the best player available?
The answer is you did not select the best player available. A player like Bowers makes your team better and would allow you to get something in return for an Avril for example. If you think Avril will get you a second round pick for example (because he is so much better than other options at DE), you draft Bowers and trade Avril. You can also take a QB and trade that QB like the Chargers traded Brees. Simply eliminating players is not the way to build a talented roster. It really is shocking to see myopic views dominating this thought process. I thimk drafting Peterson makes sense but drafting Luck trading him and still getting Peterson or Amukamara appeals to me more.

BPA has some logic behind it is... it isn't blind.

tonykart
11-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Peterson or we should trade down and take a guy like Amukamara or A. Williams at Cb later on.

All the early picks weve had lead to high salaries and with a new cap being imposed next season we should really look at trading down and getting two picks for teh same cost of one. Plus, it would be nice to fill a hole at LB and CB.

detroit4life
11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Peterson or we should trade down and take a guy like Amukamara or A. Williams at Cb later on.

All the early picks weve had lead to high salaries and with a new cap being imposed next season we should really look at trading down and getting two picks for teh same cost of one. Plus, it would be nice to fill a hole at LB and CB.

i agree but one way or the other i think I'd want to leave this draft with either peterson or prince. I think the drop off after them are significant enough to not want to leave the top 10

Scotty D
11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Who are some linebackers in the second and third?

tonykart
11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
OLB: Sturdivant, Miller, Herzlich, Wilson, Homan, Moch.

ILB: Jones (hopefully), McCarthy, Sheppard, Iving, Harvey, Mohammed.

tonykart
11-30-2010, 05:58 PM
I think Aaron Williams and Brandon Harris are close enough to Prince and Peterson to make me flirt with an 11-15th pick. As long as we can get another #1.

But, if we could drop to 7-10 and snag a 2nd, walk away with Prince, Greg Jones and Gabe Carimi I would be very happy.

weasel
12-01-2010, 02:25 AM
1st Round: Patrick Peterson CB 6'1" 222 lbs.
2nd Round: Rodney Hudson OG, Greg Jones ILB, Travis Lewis OLB, Bruce Carter OLB, Ryan Kerrigan...
3rd Round: Matt Reynolds OT, Kris O'Dowd C

weasel
12-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Sorry, I forgot Mike LeShoure RB from Illinois in the second

Prowler
12-01-2010, 05:28 AM
1) Bowers
2) Carter
3) One of the Colorado Corners

Scotty D
12-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Who is Carter?

Silver & Blue
12-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Who is Carter?

He probably means Bruce Carter.

Prowler
12-01-2010, 06:14 AM
i'm praying for another historic fall for linebackers into the 2nd round

Scotty D
12-01-2010, 06:25 AM
1) Bowers
2) Carter
3) One of the Colorado Corners

I wouldn't mind one of the Browns from Texas either.

detroit4life
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
my ideal right now is:

1) Peterson
2) carter
3) BA OG

I could happily do:
1) Bowers
2) tanoris jackson
3) either LB or OG

I will be very upset if we dont take a CB in round 1 or 2 since IMO its our biggest need. I'd welcome the idea of Bowers because it sets us up to be a nightmare for every QB and OC we face but we still need to be able to cover and we can't ignore our weaknesses forever

tonykart
12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Do you think Carter will drop to the 2nd?

Prowler
12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Do you think Carter will drop to the 2nd?

depends on what philadelphia and the giants do. i'm still building my 3 round mock, but i don't think he touches top 20 and think there is a good chance that he'll be there for us.

weasel
12-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I am counting on some guys falling into the second. I think that will be because this year is chalk full of quality DE's. And, I think the historical downgrade of LB'ers continues. I really hope some of the bowl LB'ers draw the attention from Carter because ILB's like Greg Jones and Quan Sturdivant and an OLB Travis Lewis might draw attention away from Carter.
For what it is worth, although we need OL upgrades, if a good one isn't available I would take the best OL any position like Matt Reynolds 6'6" 329 lbs. and stick him in Cherilous' spot. Or Kris O'Dowd and groom him to take over for Dom Raiola. We might have to trade back into the second round to get him.

detroit4life
12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree.

I think Carter has a legitimate shot at falling to us and if he does we would probably have to take him seeing as our LB's are awful.

I could possibly see Mayhew building our oline through FA and trades at this point and I kind of hope he does. With Staffords should being as unpredictable as it gets I think I'd rather see us bring in some veteran guys and get some youth behind them to develop.

With that said I think CB, LB, and Safety will be our targets in the first 3 rounds

WMD
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't mind one of the Browns from Texas either.
Hasn't Jordan Shipley done enough to make you want one of the Whites from Texas too?

Scotty D
12-01-2010, 03:11 PM
WMD made a funny.

wingboy2999
12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
He's racist.

wingboy2999
12-06-2010, 06:54 PM
How has this board become so barren?!?

You sadden me.

Brodeur
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
And you're a jerk for screwing me over in the War League.

WMD
12-07-2010, 05:12 AM
_ZpO3ggfF2M

Only four and a half months away!

WMD
12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
WxqJjwuUCvg

He's coming....................

Scotty D
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
WMD, Scott says the Lions go Prince.

WMD
12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Scott is WRONG

Prowler
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Stafford could always plead for aj green.

detroit4life
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM

I still think its peterson over prince. (no offense to scott). I think shwartz and cunningham would prefer peterson's aggression and ability to make a play against the run and his overall abilities at the end of the day.

The thing about peterson is he's almost bust proof in a way. If for some reason he doesn't fit at CB he'd make a great safety. Not saying i think he won't be but part of petersons game reminds me a little of antrelle rolle coming out of miami and he ended up at safety.

Overall petersons played the best WR's in college, not prince. I'll take what petersons done week in and week out in the SEC over what prince has done against big 12 talent.

detroit4life
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Hate to go back to back posts but... I would also say that I view Arizona as a serious trade candidate for us. A lot can change but its no secret that they need a QB and if they end up sitting right outside the reach of mallet and luck (which it looks like they may) they might be forced to make a move up. Same is probably said for the 49ers. Unless Cam newton raises his stock to a top 10 status there will be a lot of teams in the top 10 needing a QB and looking in from the outside. If we traded in the top ten we'd most liekly be able to still get peterson or prince and then be able to get Oline and LB in round 2.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-08-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/12/detroit_lions_kyle_vanden_bosc_1.html

If this is career ending I'm going to flip out. Bulging disk is pretty serious. Ends many fullbacks careers at least.

DE could be on the list now too.

Silver & Blue
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/12/detroit_lions_kyle_vanden_bosc_1.html

If this is career ending I'm going to flip out. Bulging disk is pretty serious. Ends many fullbacks careers at least.

DE could be on the list now too.

That sucks, I hope he is able to fully recover from it. Injuries have just been killing us this year.

detroit4life
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
itll be interesting to see how this affects us. If this looks like it will linger Mayhew may have a hard time passing up bowers. Dline is the identity of our defense and it is required to be able to apply pressure with only rushing 4 guys in Schwartzs system.

WMD
12-09-2010, 03:17 PM
The thing about peterson is he's almost bust proof in a way. If for some reason he doesn't fit at CB he'd make a great safety. Not saying i think he won't be but part of petersons game reminds me a little of antrelle rolle coming out of miami and he ended up at safety.
Peterson doesn't have the questions about his speed coming out that Rolle did. Patrick Peterson is also more athletic and a little bigger. He is a beautiful man.

Newbs24
12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah Peterson has got to be the choice. Unless KVB is seriously hurt and Bowers has a crazy combine. He is a beast off the edge. Petersons ability to play either S or CB is a huge plus. I really see no reason he can't play corner. Much bigger than Haden last year with the same speed. On a speedy LSU team he is their return specialist. Speaks volumes. Gabe Carimi is not all that good IMO. I think he is more of G than Robert Gallery. Not even close to the athlete that Long or Thomas were. Pass please

Prowler
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
my post last year on this subject

jason smith's contract last season was 6 years $61 mil potential with $33 mil guarenteed. final year is voidable which would leave the financial commitment at $6.6 mil over 5 years.

chris long's 2008 contract was 6 years $56.5 mil potential with $29 mil guaranteed and was reported as a 16% pay increase from calvin which i have no clue how that math remotely adds up since its only 6.7% increase in guaranteed money and the potential yield is way lower.....

Calvin's 2007 was 6 year $64 mil with $27.178 mil guaranteed.

i quit reading this article halfway because there is no chance of me understanding it to predict what the lions will pay, but here is some info on rookie salary caps and what players can make. i prefer to just guess based on last year with a slight bump up.

http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/nfl-rookie-cap-empirical-analysis-one-nfls-most-closely-guarded-secrets

eric turner of the browns in 1991 was the last corner to go #2, lol, he went #2

other notable dbs remotely close were laron landry #6 in 2007

pacman jones #6 in 2005 on schwartz's defense

sean taylor #5 in 2004

terrance newman #5 in 2003

quinton jammer #5 in 2002

charles woodson #4 in 1998

shawn springs #3 in 1997

berry's contract should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 years $65 mil with $36 mil guaranteed. ed reed signed a 6 year $44.4 mil deal with $15 guarenteed in 2006.

recent safety contracts

Ed Reed (2006): 6 years, $44.4M, $15M guaranteed
Troy Polamalu (2007): 5/$33M/$15.4M
Bob Sanders (2007): 5/$37.5M/$18M
Michael Lewis (2007): 6/$30M/$10M
Deon Grant (2007): 6/$32M/$11.1M
Gibril Wilson (2008): 6/$39M/$16M
Madieu Williams (2008): 6/$34M/$13M
Kerry Rhodes (2008): 5/$33.5/$20
Adrian Wilson (2009): 5/$36.5M/$15.5M

recent cornerback contracts

deangelo hall (2009) 6/$54M/$22.5M guaranteed
asante samuel (2008) 6/$57M/$20M
nate clements (2007) 8/$80M/$20M

Berry (2010) 6/$65M/$36M?????

update for this year

Berry ended up pick at 5 with a 6 year $60million with $34 Guaranteed

Conventional wisdom suggests that we'll be picking from 2-4 range this draft.

Suh (2010) 5 year $68 million with $40M guaranteed, 2nd Pick

Peppers FA deal (2010) 6 years $91.5 million with $42M guaranteed

My guess for this year if no rookie pay scale:
Pick 2 5 years $72 million with $43 million guaranteed.

keep in mind that asante and hall's contracts are off of 6 years....

why don't we just forfeit our pick and buy 2 top proven cover guys?
we can afford Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed for the cost of this pick.

pick 2 is too pricey for corner, but is at least below market for a top DE.

Market says we pick Bowers or Quinn

Newbs24
12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
my post last year on this subject

update for this year

Berry ended up pick at 5 with a 6 year $60million with $34 Guaranteed

Conventional wisdom suggests that we'll be picking from 2-4 range this draft.

Suh (2010) 5 year $68 million with $40M guaranteed, 2nd Pick

Peppers FA deal (2010) 6 years $91.5 million with $42M guaranteed

My guess for this year if no rookie pay scale:
Pick 2 5 years $72 million with $43 million guaranteed.

keep in mind that asante and hall's contracts are off of 6 years....

why don't we just forfeit our pick and buy 2 top proven cover guys?
we can afford Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed for the cost of this pick.

pick 2 is too pricey for corner, but is at least below market for a top DE.

Market says we pick Bowers or Quinn

Why would either of those guys come here? From the 2 best defenses to the worst over the last decade? Sounds feasible.

DrunkenLament
12-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Why would either of those guys come here? From the 2 best defenses to the worst over the last decade? Sounds feasible.

Hes not saying they would (or could), hes just saying we could sign those two for the same amount of money as drafting a CB with the second pick

Prowler
12-12-2010, 03:03 AM
we could always overpay champ bailey or asomugha if the raiders don't want to pay him almost $17M next year.

weasel
12-12-2010, 09:23 AM
No disrespect intended but nobody knows what CB picks are going to be worth. #2 money is not going to be what #2 money was. Nobody has even the slightest idea until the CBA gets hammered out.

Prowler
12-12-2010, 04:12 PM
we draft in april no matter what and i almost guarantee that there will be no new CBA by then, so we'll be drafting blind.

thank god we pulled out a win out of nowhere against green bay. that's huge. one more win and i'd say we're safe for whatever, but now it's not so bad.

detroit4life
12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I think our defense gets better by taking a CB than it would be taking a DE and i think mayhew will be thinking the same thing.

Btw scott did a blog comparing prince and peterson. Interesting points to read if you havent already

Prowler
12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2425354

if you guys haven't done one before, this would be a great time to get in on a forum mock. don't expect to get the lions, but I had Jaguars last time and it actually wasn't bad. see what everybody else out there is thinking with their draft plans.

Scotty D
12-12-2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2425354

if you guys haven't done one before, this would be a great time to get in on a forum mock. don't expect to get the lions, but I had Jaguars last time and it actually wasn't bad. see what everybody else out there is thinking with their draft plans.

Yes, sign up! I have to apply because I'm a team leader but I'm not putting the Lions on my list.

Stafford4Prez
12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
We should trade our draft picks for a machine gun and a bunch of ammo to shoot our whole team with. or at least draft another reciever. S-T-A-F-F-O-R-D RRRUULLLEESSS

noondog
12-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I think our defense gets better by taking a CB than it would be taking a DE and i think mayhew will be thinking the same thing.

Btw scott did a blog comparing prince and peterson. Interesting points to read if you havent already

The whole "Patrick vs Prince" comparison reminds me an awful lot of last year's Suh vs McCoy debate. I just don't think that Prince is close enough to PP to even make a reasonable argument for him being selected ahead of Peterson.

Prowler
12-15-2010, 06:09 AM
i'm biased since i was born in nebraska, but i think its nnamdi asomugha(prince) vs charles woodson (peterson). prince is a technician and peterson has the elite tools. luckily both can shut down.

Prince-13 games 36 solo 22 assisted 58 total tackles 1 sack 1 tfl 13 passes broken up 0 int

Peterson-12 games 24 solo 12 assisted 36 total tackles 1.5 tfl 6 passes broken up 4 interceptions 1 blocked kick

haven't seen any numbers to back it up, but the word is that prince just isn't challenged at all during games. people don't throw his way which is why is numbers look like nnamdi's. (low ints)

i'm pretty happy with either one of them. they were both late first round types if they would have magically came out last year and have maintained and enhanced their value as the top of their position.

TheFinisher
12-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Just heard about KVB, I feel for you guys I hope he makes a full recovery. I have a lot of respect for Detroit fans. Where does this put your list of needs, is DE now the biggest need considering the scheme you run?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Just heard about KVB, I feel for you guys I hope he makes a full recovery. I have a lot of respect for Detroit fans. Where does this put your list of needs, is DE now the biggest need considering the scheme you run?

Thanks Schwartz seems to think he will have a full recovery and be back ready to go next year. It's something he can come back from so thats good news and makes DE not as high a priority. Avril had a good game in KVBs absense against the Bears and Lo Jack and McBride looked good against the Packers. Barring a setback of KVB, I don't think DE will be a big need but if far and away BPA, DE could be taken in Round 1, 2 or 3.

Scotty D
12-15-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20101215/SPORTS01/12150372/1049/rss14

Vanden Bosch said Sunday the disk was removed, and Dr. Craig Brigham fused the C6 and C7 vertebrae in his spinal column during his operation last week in Charlotte, N.C. He suffered the season-ending injury on Thanksgiving Day against the New England Patriots.

"Kind of the neat thing is there's really no rehab to it," he said. "(The doctor) said you can go in and start lifting weights whenever you feel good. I went in Saturday and was able to lift some weights already.

"I came in today and was able to walk some stadiums (stairs). I'll be really full speed, full strength, in probably six to eight weeks. It just takes time for the bone graft to be solid."

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20101215/SPORTS01/12150372/1049/rss14

This makes me happy in my nether regions.

P-L
12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
In the Forum Mock, I have a feeling that Patrick Peterson might get taken at #2 or #3. If he's gone, do I take Amukamara or Bowers?

Brodeur
12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Prince Prince Prince Prince Prince.

Prowler
12-17-2010, 05:02 AM
can't go wrong with either.

P-L
12-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Forum Mock Update: Prince Amukamara and Akeem Ayers after my first two picks.

Newbs24
12-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Still on the mindset that we need a CB in round 1. Whether it is PP or Prince we have to get a guy that is an immediate upgrade at the CB position. I think either could be a S next to Delmas as well.

Having a stud at LB is the next big piece to our defensive puzzle. I honestly think the only guy that would fit the bill is Donta Hightower from Bama. Damn near the same size as McClain maybe bigger and just as good. He is a RS Soph but has not declared. We will all get a better look at him against MSU in the Capital One Game and I am sure he will not disappoint.

Fred Savage
12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Still on the mindset that we need a CB in round 1. Whether it is PP or Prince we have to get a guy that is an immediate upgrade at the CB position. I think either could be a S next to Delmas as well.

Having a stud at LB is the next big piece to our defensive puzzle. I honestly think the only guy that would fit the bill is Donta Hightower from Bama. Damn near the same size as McClain maybe bigger and just as good. He is a RS Soph but has not declared. We will all get a better look at him against MSU in the Capital One Game and I am sure he will not disappoint.

I agree with you kind sir. However, depending on value Bower's could be the correct pick at the top of the draft. I don't want us to reach for a corner, for example, Peterson is gone and Price would be a reach. I know our D-Line is very strong and our linebackers and secondary is terrible. But to have a D-Line jam packed with young studs for years to come could be the beginning of a great D.

I agree that we need some linebackers bad. If Hightower declares that would be great if we could sneak him in the 2nd ( I think someone will fall in love with him before). I watched Akem Ayers clips and thought he was a player, would love to have him in Detroit.

detroit4life
12-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree but as long as we are not in top 3 Prince would have to do a lot for it to be considered a reach

Fred Savage
12-23-2010, 11:32 PM
I agree but as long as we are not in top 3 Prince would have to do a lot for it to be considered a reach

Word. However, you and I both know how fickle the draft is. Players that seem to be top 10 picks now might drop out of the first two rounds and vice versa. Thangs change right quick.

Brodeur
12-23-2010, 11:39 PM
FRED SAVAGE IS BACK. This is a terrific day.

Fred Savage
12-24-2010, 02:04 AM
FRED SAVAGE IS BACK. This is a terrific day.

http://www.brooksinternational.com/Customized/Uploads/images/2dave_coulier.jpg

P-L
12-26-2010, 07:26 PM
If the Vikings lose tomorrow night, we'll have the #10 pick in the draft. If we beat them next week, we'll get a pick in the 11-15 range.

Prowler
12-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Draft Board
1. Peterson
2. Prince
3. Bowers
4. Quinn
5. AJ Green
6-7. Nate Solder/Castanzo/Sherod/Smith/Two Best OTs after combine
8-?. Akeem Ayers/Brandon Harris/Janoris Jenkins/Aaron Williams/Bruce Carter?

1) Carolina Panthers (2-13) — .570 Opponent’s Win% (.559)-Luck
2) Denver Broncos (4-11) — .518 Opponent’s Win % (.507)-Peterson/Fairley
3) Buffalo Bills (4-11) – .580 Opponent’s Win % (.576)-Quinn/Dareus
4) Cincinnati Bengals (4-11) — .585 Opponent’s Win % (.570)-Green/Bowers
5) Arizona Cardinals (5-10) — .460 Opponent’s Win % (.464)-Prince/FA QB
6) San Francisco 49ers (5-10) — ..487 Opponent’s Win % (.505)-Mallett
7) Dallas Cowboys (5-10) — .518 Opponent’s Win % (.509)-Dareus/Fairley
8) Houston Texans (5-10) — .536 Opponent’s Win % (.527)-Fairley/CB
9) Detroit Lions (5-10) – .545 Opponent’s Win % (.561)
10) Cleveland Browns (5-10) — .571 Opponent’s Win % (.565)
11) Minnesota Vikings (5-9) — .536 Opponent’s Win % (.545)
12) Seattle Seahawks (6-9) — .482 Opponent’s Win % (.489)
13) Tennessee Titans (6-9) – .513 Opponent’s Win % (.500)
14) Washington Redskins (6-9) — .518 Opponent’s Win % (.509)

OT of the future time?

Newbs24
12-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I really do not see an OT that is worth Top 10 money in this draft. I wish we could find someone later but that never works for the Lions. LT is a huge need because as good as Backus has been he would be even better on the right side.

I think the defensive side is a must for the first round pick. Pretty solid top end talent and we need to be strong up the middle of the D. Hightower just looks like an Urlacher type of LB. Seems to move like him and will be solid for the better part of a decade.

Brodeur
12-27-2010, 09:54 AM
LT is not a huge need at all. Backus is great there and Gos has been fine at RT this season.

Prowler
12-27-2010, 10:35 AM
LT is not a huge need at all. Backus is great there and Gos has been fine at RT this season.

yeah, but who do we take? LT is 6th on my board, and the top 5 will probably be gone. its either our pick of the best tackles, 2nd tier DE, 2nd tier CBs, or top OLB. we can either draft for the now or the future. we seem to be drafting for the future. the future pick would be a LT since Backus will be 34.

however it can also be argued that the tackles are too close to each other and therefore our 2nd round pick would be just as good of a pick, so we might as well go Defense with our 1st.

defense or tackle?

detroit4life
12-27-2010, 12:06 PM
who are the top LBs this year? maybe we go LB then CB in the second

Quinn could very easily be there as well.

As i see it i think unless prince falls we"re looking at a guy like ayers or a DE like bowers Quinn or if we are real unlucky clayborne (who i am a fan of but not in the top 10).

Not sure how realistic it is but i wonder if we would be able to swing a trade with either san fran or carolina giving up our 1st for Willis/Beason and a second.

Before people criticize me just remember that i'm simply putting it out there to see how realistic people think it is

Newbs24
12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
It is getting scarier the more we win. I love seeing the Lions beat teams but with a "Suh-like" impact player IMO in Peterson in prime position for us in the Top 3, we have really not helped ourselves in getting him. It almost seems like it is a 3 person Draft for the Lions with Peterson, Prince and Carter. Possibly Bowers but still the offensive weapons are more at the top of this draft than in other years.

Xiomera
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
We better not draft Robert Quinn or we'll have learned nothing from Mike Williams' year away from football and the impact it had on him.

Scotty D
12-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Not sure how realistic it is but i wonder if we would be able to swing a trade with either san fran or carolina giving up our 1st for Willis/Beason and a second.

Before people criticize me just remember that i'm simply putting it out there to see how realistic people think it is

Willis isn't possible. Beason could be a possibility if Carolina decides to blow things up. I think they should let Fox go, trade Steve Smith, trade DeAngelo, and completely rebuild.

detroit4life
12-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Willis isn't possible. Beason could be a possibility if Carolina decides to blow things up. I think they should let Fox go, trade Steve Smith, trade DeAngelo, and completely rebuild.

I see both teams rebuilding at this point and thats why I included willis in the discussion. regardless if this is a legitimate option I would be thrilled

Prowler
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
i'd say that the speculation should be whether or not we decide to make a hard run at jonathan joseph if we feel we are out of reach for prince and peterson.

while i'm at it, i want carl nicks too.

styles44
12-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I think free agency will be where we land our top-tier talent this year with us falling down the draft board. I'd love for us to go after guys like David Harris or like prowler suggested, Joseph or another top CB. I think it's safe to say that we can be viewed as a team on the rise and that should help us in the FA market. We'll still have to pay top dollar for guys like these but at least we'll be attractive enough for them to want to come here in the first place.

detroit4life
12-27-2010, 06:12 PM
i'd say that the speculation should be whether or not we decide to make a hard run at jonathan joseph if we feel we are out of reach for prince and peterson.

while i'm at it, i want carl nicks too.

I like both players a lot and this is one of the reasons these wins would be important, we might actually have a shot at some players in FA with the team finally showing some promise.

I would love adding Joseph as it would allow us to focus on other parts of our team in the draft while also adding some veteran presence on a defense that is very young

Scotty D
12-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Here are some guy that were scheduled to hit the market this year, not sure if any got extensions.

LB Desmond Bishop UFA Green Bay Packers
LB H.B. Blades UFA Washington Redskins
LB Stewart Bradley UFA Philadelphia Eagles
LB Justin Durant
LB Chad Greenway UFA Minnesota Vikings
LB Tamba Hali UFA Kansas City Chiefs
LB David Harris UFA New York Jets
LB Kirk Morrison UFA Oakland Raiders
LB Mike Peterson UFA Atlanta Falcons
LB Paul Posluszny UFA Buffalo Bills
LB Barrett Ruud UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
LB Brandon Siler UFA San Diego Chargers
LB LaMarr Woodley

CB Champ Bailey UFA Denver Broncos
CB Ronde Barber UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
CB Antonio Cromartie UFA New York Jets
CB Chris Houston UFA Detroit Lions
FS Tanard Jackson UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
CB Kelly Jennings UFA Seattle Seahawks
CB Johnathan Joseph UFA Cincinnati Bengals
SS Quintin Mikell UFA Philadelphia Eagles
SS Jarrad Page UFA New England Patriots
FS Eric Weddle UFA San Diego Chargers
CB Josh Wilson UFA Baltimore Ravens
CB Eric Wright

detroit4life
12-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Here are some guy that were scheduled to hit the market this year, not sure if any got extensions.

LB Desmond Bishop UFA Green Bay Packers
LB H.B. Blades UFA Washington Redskins
LB Stewart Bradley UFA Philadelphia Eagles
LB Justin Durant
LB Chad Greenway UFA Minnesota Vikings
LB Tamba Hali UFA Kansas City Chiefs
LB David Harris UFA New York Jets
LB Kirk Morrison UFA Oakland Raiders
LB Mike Peterson UFA Atlanta Falcons
LB Paul Posluszny UFA Buffalo Bills
LB Barrett Ruud UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
LB Brandon Siler UFA San Diego Chargers
LB LaMarr Woodley

CB Champ Bailey UFA Denver Broncos
CB Ronde Barber UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
CB Antonio Cromartie UFA New York Jets
CB Chris Houston UFA Detroit Lions
FS Tanard Jackson UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
CB Kelly Jennings UFA Seattle Seahawks
CB Johnathan Joseph UFA Cincinnati Bengals
SS Quintin Mikell UFA Philadelphia Eagles
SS Jarrad Page UFA New England Patriots
FS Eric Weddle UFA San Diego Chargers
CB Josh Wilson UFA Baltimore Ravens
CB Eric Wright

LBs i would love: Tamba, Harris, Woodley (most likely as DE tho)
- Harris is definitly the favorite here seeing as i think Levy is more suited as a OLB.

CBs: Joseph, Bailey, Cro
- basically in that order, Cro has his weaknesses but is still a huge upgrade and would be very nice to have to match up against Jennins and Rice with their size. This is also assuming we resign Houston which i think we should even if its to be a nickel or dime back.

I could also see us going after Page since i believe theres a strong connection between him and gunther

Overall if we could add a OG, CB or LB via FA like some of the guys above or Nicks/Mankins we'd be looking very good next year assuming we'd address the other needs through the draft

Xiomera
12-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I wanna re-sign Houston, but he doesn't wanna come back it seems.

detroit4life
12-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Why do you say that?

Xiomera
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Why do you say that?

He was quoted as saying he's very much looking forward to his pending free agency after the year. Said it right around Thanksgiving.

He'll also be one of the better corners on the market and will draw attention.

detroit4life
12-28-2010, 01:27 PM
He was quoted as saying he's very much looking forward to his pending free agency after the year. Said it right around Thanksgiving.

He'll also be one of the better corners on the market and will draw attention.

well in that case we can get over it. He played well for us but he should be relatively easy to replace as well.

Xiomera
12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Houston isn't an RFA, is he?

Prowler
12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
RFA has been more for rookie deals and players who haven't accrued their seasons yet. i think houston is unrestricted. i'm fine with him leaving provided aaron berry is healthy next season and we get at least one starting caliber rookie corner.

if he ain't down with the 313 or future then i ain't down with him.

detroit4life
12-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Houston is still on his rookie deal though isnt he?

Brodeur
12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
RFA has been more for rookie deals and players who haven't accrued their seasons yet. i think houston is unrestricted. i'm fine with him leaving provided aaron berry is healthy next season and we get at least one starting caliber rookie corner.

if he ain't down with the 313 or future then i ain't down with him.

Haha Aaron Berry? Really?

Prowler
12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
he's the only other corner approaching starting caliber. good nickel guy.

Xiomera
12-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Houston is still on his rookie deal though isnt he?

Yeah, or so I thought. Is this his third or fourth year in the league?

Prowler
12-28-2010, 05:13 PM
wtf? i just found a website proving that kvb is the most important DE in the league this year.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2010&pos=DE&season=all

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01/win-probability-added-wpa-explained.html

''WPA starts with a Win Probability (WP) model of the game of football. Every situation in a game gives each opponent a particular chance of winning, and a WP model estimates those chances. The model created here at Advanced NFL Stats uses score, time, down, distance, and field position to estimate how likely each team will go on to win the game. For example, at the start of the 2nd quarter, a team down by 7 points with a 2nd down and 5 from their own 25 will win about 36% of the time--in other words a 0.36 WP.''

also, aaron berry's one interception in his only game puts him at +3 points/game. meaning we could be 9-6 right now had he stayed healthy.

noondog
12-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Our recent win streak has dramatically altered the outlook for our 2011 draft class. Who do you see us taking or what do you see us doing at the #10-#14 range?

Personally, I'm starting to like the idea of trading down to grab an additional pick. #3 or #4 CB on the board would be a reach imo at that point.

Prowler
12-31-2010, 06:11 AM
it would be nice if there were still a QB worth taking on the board at our pick.

SINCE1978
12-31-2010, 02:39 PM
it would be nice if there were still a QB worth taking on the board at our pick.

Dude, you are joking right? With the 1st round pick you would like Detroit to take a QB?! Stafford hater! (jk) :o) Cam Newton would likely be there for you ... haha!!

After Peterson & Amukamura the #3 CB is up in the air with most draft experts. Detroit is slotted at #9 today, both those guys are gone likely at that point imo. So IF both those studs are gone, I would take a CB with the 2nd rd pick where Smith, Williams, Brown or Dowling may slip to pick #41 ... and for pick #9 if I were MM, I would still go BPA. DE Bowers from Clemson, OLB Miller from A&M ... maybe OLB Ayers out of UCLA?? A back 7 defender is my top priority in the first 3 rounds, throw in an interior lineman & that is a solid draft.

#9 - D Bowers, DE Clemson
#41 - A Williams, CB Texas
#71 - O Franklin, Oline Miami
#102 - M Barron, S Bama

Xiomera
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

I'm assuming you mean so another team will want to trade up to get said QB and not that we'd draft him ourselves ...

Prowler
12-31-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm assuming you mean so another team will want to trade up to get said QB and not that we'd draft him ourselves ...

yes that. it wouldn't be out of the realm of imagination to think we could move down only 10 spots and grab another team's 2012 first round draft pick in a scenario where mallett or locker were still magically available at our pick.

SINCE1978
01-01-2011, 09:29 AM
That is a stretch, but whatever ... Don't you guys think other NFL teams understand the investment Detroit took in Stafford (ie the QB position) & for them to "threaten" to take a QB like Mallett, Newton or Locker, if still on the board at #9, is an empty threat imo. An interesting way to attempt to acquire prime draft picks (which MM has been good at so far) but I still think it is unlikely.

OLB or CB or one of the stud DE's with our 1st rounder is the most sensible way to go without trying a fantasy league deal (hahaha) ... just make it D & this Lions fan is happy! :o)

Prowler
01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
This is being over-thought. We wouldn't threaten to take anybody, that is a strategy that only works for luck or top 3 picks. If a qb needy team needs a qb, then they trade with us because we are in position to draft one and they are not. Dolphins and a few other teams should be in that boat. Straight-up legitimate trading. I'm not always shady. They trade with us because there is a possibility that someone else will trade up for a qb, so it just secures an asset.

Newbs24
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
If I knew Aaron Williams was going to drop to the second I would take Bowers and not think twice about it. I like Williams game. I think he is very much like the Griffin cat from Tennessee.

Xiomera
01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
That is a stretch, but whatever ... Don't you guys think other NFL teams understand the investment Detroit took in Stafford (ie the QB position) & for them to "threaten" to take a QB like Mallett, Newton or Locker, if still on the board at #9, is an empty threat imo. An interesting way to attempt to acquire prime draft picks (which MM has been good at so far) but I still think it is unlikely.

Teams wouldn't be trading with Detroit because they thing WE would be the one to take a QB. It'd be to vault over other teams that want QBs.

Silver & Blue
01-02-2011, 03:49 PM
According to this site, http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html , we have the best chance of picking 12th overall as it stands right now, this might change slightly once the other games are played.

Xiomera
01-02-2011, 06:50 PM
According to this site, http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html , we have the best chance of picking 12th overall as it stands right now, this might change slightly once the other games are played.

Looks like 14th pick is in line if the Rams beat Seattle tonight.

Sucks that there could be 7 teams that finish 6-10 and we have the strongest SOS therefore picking last among them.

SINCE1978
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I like pick 13 (or 14) ... just b/c it's in the teens. :o)

Happy 2011, looks like we will be shifting the Prince/Peterson focus with the strong Lions finish!
4 W's in a row, wow. 2 in conference ... look out!!

WMD
01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I like pick 13 (or 14) ... just b/c it's in the teens. :o)

Happy 2011, looks like we will be shifting the Prince/Peterson focus with the strong Lions finish!
4 W's in a row, wow. 2 in conference ... look out!!
We could still trade up for them. After all, the Jets moved up from #17 to #5 with a mid 2nd and three bench players!

detroit4life
01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
i dont see us moving up, stick with where we are, upgrade at either LB CB or oline there and do it again in the second. No reason to give up our 1-3 round picks

Xiomera
01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I do not want to trade up. We won 6 games this season and we're trending toward the playoffs even without roster improvements. Young players simply getting better get us closer. Just keep adding quality players with the resources we're allotted.

Every year there are corners drafted in the late 1st, 2nd round, etc that work out just fine. I trust Mayhew to identify one.

Or we just sign Richard Marshall.

Brodeur
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Jonathan Joseph you arse.

Xiomera
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Jonathan Joseph you arse.

Champ Bailey.

detroit4life
01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
sign joseph and draft a CB in day one and our CB crew is looking good. I'd like to keep smith as a nickel which means we need to look at getting 2 cb's or resign houston.

I would be open to trading up into the late first tho with our second and a 4th or 5th if it meant getting a guy like Bruce carter or one of the top OGs