PDA

View Full Version : 2010-Most Improved Player

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Who do you think will be the most improved player this year in the division? If you select other, please provide who.

I wanted to go Landry since I think him bulking up and moving him in box to SS could make him a beast again, but I'll have to see before I start praising him again. I ended up going Doug Free. He has a huge responsibility. Might be the most important player on the Cowboys to watch this year.

DiG
05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
with mcnabb in town i am voting for devin thomas. if the skins have any shot at a wildcard he has to step up this year. i considered fokou but with eagles lbers coming back off injury from last year i dont know that hell get as much playing time. felix jones was my runner up to devin thomas though. if he starts over barber like people are saying, he could put up some big time numbers.

BaLLiN
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
LeSean "Shady" McCoy?

LonghornsLegend
05-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Devin Thomas and its not even close for me.

Me and D have been big fans of his for awhile. He's ready to break out, he just needed to get the mental aspect of things down, but with a QB in town he'll produce just like he needs to. Has every single thing you look for in a #1 WR but he needs to really put in the time and effort to be great.

At least Ogletree is on the poll though :D

M.O.T.H.
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I sure as hell hope it's Free.

I'll take Clint Sintim, though if he starts.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
hmmm... I'd like to think.. Osi.. From sucking to back to Osi form.

D-Unit
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking Hakeem Nicks will have a bigger year than Devin Thomas...

BaLLiN
05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking Hakeem Nicks will have a bigger year than Devin Thomas...

yeah but does that make him most improved? he already had a very good year.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Devin Thomas and its not even close for me.

Me and D have been big fans of his for awhile. He's ready to break out, he just needed to get the mental aspect of things down, but with a QB in town he'll produce just like he needs to. Has every single thing you look for in a #1 WR but he needs to really put in the time and effort to be great.

At least Ogletree is on the poll though :D

UVA homer. http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif. I was trying to pimp him as a 3rd round pick, but that never happened. He has looked good though with the few chances he's gotten.

LonghornsLegend
05-03-2010, 08:01 PM
UVA homer. http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif. I was trying to pimp him as a 3rd round pick, but that never happened. He has looked good though with the few chances he's gotten.

I remember you mentioning his name before I even got to see him play, I think this was soon after we picked him up as an UDFA, though for some odd reason we drafted Manuel Johnson in the 7th before him. Still though I think he'll beat out Patty and be our slot man, who at least to me is a good fit between Dez and Austin.

I think he has some serious potential and will end up alot better then people think, it'll just be tough to get many looks now that we drafted Dez. What he showed me as a rookie though was far advanced for someone who wasn't even drafted, I have no doubt he'll continue to get much better.

bigbluedefense
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm so drafting Devin Thomas.

Although I don't think he's a very good player, Ernie Simms is a darkhorse in this.

I wish it was Chris Canty, but i'm just hoping he becomes a very good run stuffer like he was in Dallas.

Jason Peters has a shot to potentially live up to his billing too.

FreshBoy!
05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Aaron Ross?

Hurricanes25
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Devin Thomas is primed for a breakout year with McNabb under center.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Devin Thomas is primed for a breakout year with McNabb under center.

Assuming that their OL doesn't stink. They need to have a running game and then someone has to step up for that other than Cooley. It could be Thomas, but if McNabb is running for his life I expect him to have a tough time.

LonghornsLegend
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm so drafting Devin Thomas.

Although I don't think he's a very good player, Ernie Simms is a darkhorse in this.

I wish it was Chris Canty, but i'm just hoping he becomes a very good run stuffer like he was in Dallas.

Jason Peters has a shot to potentially live up to his billing too.

Oh yea, Ernie Sims deserves to get some recognition, it could easily happen. I remember ATL fans has soured on Boley like night and day from what they previously felt, and watching Boley last year for you guys I couldn't help but be jealous.

This dude was downfield knocking perfect passes away from Witten, has that sideline to sideline range, I don't know what you would have done without him, perfect for what you ask him to do. Maybe this is all Sims needs.

bigbluedefense
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Aaron Ross?

Him too. Can't believe I forgot him. His problem has never been his game though, it's always been injuries.

He's a great #2 CB when healthy. The problem is, he hasn't been healthy for the past 2 years. And now he's our #3 CB behind Terrell Thomas, who is pretty much a healthy, bigger, faster, stronger, and better technique version of Aaron Ross.

If Ross stays healthy, he'll be good.

Calvin & Kevin
05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
(oops I linked to this off New Posts and didnt see it was a NFCE poll till too late. my bad)

bigbluedefense
05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh yea, Ernie Sims deserves to get some recognition, it could easily happen. I remember ATL fans has soured on Boley like night and day from what they previously felt, and watching Boley last year for you guys I couldn't help but be jealous.

This dude was downfield knocking perfect passes away from Witten, has that sideline to sideline range, I don't know what you would have done without him, perfect for what you ask him to do. Maybe this is all Sims needs.

Boley was a monster before he injured his hip. After he hurt his hip, he was solid but not spectacular. I'm looking forward to him really tearing it up this season. Our whole defense was just completely destroyed with injuries last year. In our front 7, 5 players were injured (entire DL plus Boley) and 2 of em sucked (Clark and Pierce).

That combined with no safeties just killed our defense.

I wasn't a fan of Ernie Simms, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of him in Philly. And that scares me lol. The last thing we need is for Philly to have a credible LB next to Stewart Bradley.

FreshBoy!
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Him too. Can't believe I forgot him. His problem has never been his game though, it's always been injuries.

If Ross stays healthy, he'll be good.

Yea exactly. Like I said in the other thread...the Giants and the injuries have done a number to what *should* be a top 5 defense top to bottom.

eaglesalltheway
05-04-2010, 06:39 AM
LeSean "Shady" McCoy?

If he was on the list, I would've gone with him, as neither of the Eagles listed will likely be starting this year even. Thomas will probably improve a bit, but after that, there isn't much to pick from after Landry, who I picked.

But Landry is the one I expect to improve the most on the list, as DT said, bulking up and moving to a role closer to the LOS will help him, and better suits his skill set.

However, I think with Shady being the primary runner the entire season, he will be the most improved, over Landry. Another year in a system that fits him well, developing more, and experience will only help Shady, and the only way I see him regressing, or staying roughly the same with his level of play as last year, is if he would be injured (hopefully not).

So I gave two answers... Whatchu gonn doo? ;)

Rosebud
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think Canty should be on the list, he's played very well in this division before and was just injured, a lot, last year on a DL that dramatically underachieved outside of him.

I think it'll be between Devin Thomas, Shady, Jonathon Goff, Doug Free if he plays well, William Beatty (who's going to be a STUD), Felix Jones if he stays healthy, Ahmad Bradshaw if he stays healthy or Kiwi if he is able to finally bulk up.

Supporting Caste
05-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I think you have to go with Canty by default given his injury troubles.

It'd be hard for Doug Free to improve upon last year--he was actually really good for us.

And I can actually see Haynesworth having a huge year if he's allowed to play one-gap style at DE.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Aha at all the Devin Thomas love, some of you though were right on with Shady, Nicks, Osi, Landry, and Sims to an extent.

Rosebud
10-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Aha at all the Devin Thomas love, some of you though were right on with Shady, Nicks, Osi, Landry, and Sims to an extent.

Devin THomas burned a lot of people here, outside of him and Beatty, who's been held back by injury. My other picks aren't that bad. Goff's been a beast, Free's playing well, Bradshaw's a stud, Felix has been better since he slimmed back down and Kiwi was playing great before his injury.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah I think the Devin Thomas love came more as a result of his draft status and the fact that Mcnabb needed a #2. Not that anyone would have ever predicted it but Anthony Armstrong might actually be a good WR in the league. Great speed and decent hands.

LonghornsLegend
10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Ewww, Devin Thomas FAIL :(

On the poll I think it's clearly Free or Landry. Free was good last year but a completely different position and he's been excellent at LT. Landry I believed moved back to SS and has been a stud. Regardless you couldn't of went wrong with 1 of those 2, Nicks or Shady.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Alot of guys have really done a great job so far turning it around.

I think right now the clear front runners are Laron Landry, Osi Umenyiora, Michael Vick (let's not forget about him), and Hakeem Nicks.

Kiwi would be on this list if he didn't get hurt. He was a monster before that and our best pass rusher.

I think if we're talking about who has regressed the most, I'd say it's Mike Jenkins of the Cowboys. He's having a very mediocre season for his standards.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Landry is tops on my list in terms of development. You could also make a mention of Shaun Andrews, should he get back to close to where he was when he was in Philly. I also want to mention Shady McCoy as a candidate.

Top regressions: Jenkins, Casey Rabach, Jason Peters, Clinton Portis

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Landry is tops on my list in terms of development. You could also make a mention of Shaun Andrews, should he get back to close to where he was when he was in Philly. I also want to mention Shady McCoy as a candidate.

Top regressions: Jenkins, Casey Rabach, Jason Peters, Clinton Portis

Jason Peters really has been a huge disappointment for the Eagles so far. I think you can add David Diehl and William Beatty to that list as well.

I forgot to mention Roy Williams in the most improved list. Let's give him some props, he's playing much better this year.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I can agree to all of the above points.

Giantsfan1080
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Not to make this all about the Giants but Goff and Canty have really stepped up their games as well.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:20 AM
The reason this forum exists is that not all of us will pay attention to other NFC games as much as for our own team. The Giants' great start has to be a function of player improvements.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I love Goff, he's been amazing at MIKE for us. You can make a strong argument for him being the best ILB in our division, with Stewart Bradley dropping off considerably this year as well as Fletcher, and Dallas having JAGs inside.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I believe Bradley has played better lately, especially as McDermott has adjusted and is not putting him in coverage quite as much. As that has happened, the Eagles D has gotten stouter up the gut... I also believe that Bradley will be back in full go next year. The ACL surgery recovery is just a process.

Giantsfan1080
10-27-2010, 11:23 AM
The reason this forum exists is that not all of us will pay attention to other NFC games as much as for our own team. The Giants' great start has to be a function of player improvements.

I know that but there are also so many homers around here that I like to only bring up the Giants when I feel I'm not going overboard in my own homerism.

Giantsfan1080
10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Bradley will get better as the year goes on which is bad news for the rest of the division. It's not easy coming back from an injury as serious as that. Look at Osi who took over a year to finally get that burst off the edge back.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I know that but there are also so many homers around here that I like to only bring up the Giants when I feel I'm not going overboard in my own homerism.

IMO, you are more of a Mets homer than a Giants homer... lol

Giantsfan1080
10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
IMO, you are more of a Mets homer than a Giants homer... lol

Haha yeah I probably am. I can't get a grasp on all things Mets sometimes but I still try not to go to overboard.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Bradley will get better as the year goes on which is bad news for the rest of the division. It's not easy coming back from an injury as serious as that. Look at Osi who took over a year to finally get that burst off the edge back.

Exactly. Amazingly, the Eagles rush D got a little better after Bunkley went out with his injury. Part may be scheme, but I think the coaches adjusted to put Bradley in spots to help out and attack.

Speaking of, Trevor Laws has been pretty damn impressive and disruptive. He was playing a lot even before Bunkley went out.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I have no doubt that Bradley will back to form next year, I was just referring to this year.

Laws has been impressive. Its about time, I liked him coming out. I didn't think he was a 2nd round talent and thought the Eagles reached for him, but I still liked him as a pass rusher.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
With all the pass rushers they took in 2010, the Eagles are going to try to challenge the Giants for the "most injured QB's" title...

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I like the Eagles dline. Graham is the sex, Cole is a boss, I love Bunk. Imagine if you landed Geno Atkins. Yeah, I still have a hard time letting that one go lol. I wanted Geno so bad.

How is Graham doing btw? I always felt he was much better suited for RE than LE.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I think Graham is having problems with the quality of OT's and getting results. He has been around the ball a lot and has really held well against the run, but right now, he is struggling to win battles using technique. He was so used to winning the battles based on his physical skills that he is a little gunshy. The injury to his left (?) leg also didn't help things.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
That's fine though. As long as you see potential in the futre he will be fine. It doesn't happen overnight for a lot of pass rushers. JPP is getting tons of hurries but no sacks, but I'm not worried bc you know it will eventually translate to sacks in the future.

For JPP I'm more concerned with him using more pass rush moves. Right now he's very raw and just usin geither a standard bullrsuh or standard speed rush. Once he starts learning more moves....oh boy.

bsaza2358
10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
You might not see a ton out of him until 2012, actually. He is so so so raw, but so physically skilled. It might take him over a year to really refine his technique enough to make a significant and consistent impact.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah I know. I told myself I'm gonna give him 3 full years to develop before I consider him a disappointment if he doesn't grow as a pass rusher within that time.

I think we'll start seeing some promise next year, and hopefully he'll put it all together by year 3.

Rosebud
10-27-2010, 04:54 PM
JPP - Joseph - Canty - Kiwi with tuck moving all around in 2 years is terrifying because they might finally disprove rumors of Eli's immortality.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
I think of a player who is most improved... The way I think of it is a player who has X talent, and now is even more and is producing. So the difference between what he is doing now vs before is what I would gauge it.

Maybe Koets for us.. Ok OT, but when he had to play center he did a good job. I think that's improvement.

Who else? Jonathan G our MLB. People didn't know that he would be a viable option as our Mike backer in this new system, but he has exceeded ALL expectations thus far. So that's big time improvement.

Those two are the ones that pop out in my head.

J-Mike88
10-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Hakeem the dream Nicks is the answer to the question, with LaRon Landry the winner on the defensive side of the ball.

Osi a close 2nd on defense, but it's not like we haven't seen him dominate before. He just seemed to mentally check out for awhile there as some good ones are prone to do from time to time.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Hakeem the dream Nicks is the answer to the question, with LaRon Landry the winner on the defensive side of the ball.

Osi a close 2nd on defense, but it's not like we haven't seen him dominate before. He just seemed to mentally check out for awhile there as some good ones are prone to do from time to time.

That's the thing I think the talent was there for Osi obviously and Nicks. Nicks has just gotten more looks now, and adjusted to this scheme even more. Osi was always good, now he is healthy and has the right attitude. If we talking improvement based on stats, then Bradshaw. He leads the whole NFL in rushing. So that has to count for something.

bigbluedefense
10-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah honestly, even though Nicks "broke out" this year, I feel like its moreso him getting more opportunities than him improving his game.

Last year he was hurt and missed 4 games (roughly, maybe less) and he was still learning the playbook so he wasn't out there all the time.

Now he's out there more, and he's doing his thing. He couldve done this last year if he was out there more.

bsaza2358
10-28-2010, 03:50 PM
It is well known that the growth from Year 1 to Year 2 in the NFL is tremendous. The routine, the preparation, the knowledge, etc. all get easier after the first year is over. Nicks didn't improve his skill set at all. The Giants have adjusted to what he can do, and he is excelling in his opportunities.

Rosebud
10-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah honestly, even though Nicks "broke out" this year, I feel like its moreso him getting more opportunities than him improving his game.

Last year he was hurt and missed 4 games (roughly, maybe less) and he was still learning the playbook so he wasn't out there all the time.

Now he's out there more, and he's doing his thing. He couldve done this last year if he was out there more.

But the consistency he's showing this year is part of his game that he did improve...

D-Unit
10-29-2010, 02:50 AM
I just voted for Landry. He's starting to be a real enforcer.

scottyboy
10-31-2010, 10:48 AM
has Laws been playing well? I wasn't sure what to think of him entering the draft. thought he could be productive but was a bit unsure. A very intruiging prospect in my eyes

bsaza2358
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Trevor Laws has done a great job in the UT role for the Eagles. He has been extremely quick off the ball, and he's pushed the pocket nicely. Has also been very strong with not allowing seams up the middle. Very much improved his strength and explosion off the snap. I wouldn't say he's a Pro Bowler at this point, but he's a very important cog for the Eagles right now.