PDA

View Full Version : Boston Sports Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Don Vito
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Why not? We have a lot of Sox, Celtics, and Bruins fans on here.

Bruins play game 2 against Philly tonight

Celtics are down 0-1 to the Cavs

Sox are looking shaky now, but that will end when we get Adrian Gonzalez at the deadline

http://www.historicalmurals.com/images/sports_mural_923pix.jpg

Don Vito
05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Bruins are tied 1 up after the first period, Celts about to start. It would be nice to take one in Cleveland early as would taking both at home against the Flyers.

Nalej
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Red Sox-

Our starting pitching has one of the worst ERA in the league
VMart and Papi have a combined 13 RBI's
Our improved D (*) has made the 2nd most errors in the league
We seriously suck right now

Celtics

I like what we're doing but Pierce needs to step up and so does our bench.
Rondo can't carry this team by himself... yet

Bruins

Don't watch hockey but am still a homer.
My friends were Buffalo fans too so that's even sweeter
Go Bruins!!!

Pats

Nice draft!

Bigburt63
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Red Sox need to start playing well soon or they could be in a huge hole that they may not be able to climb out of. I think they will eventually put things together, but I just hope it isn't too late.

Celtics, as much as I don't want to say this, will lose handily to the Cavs because Lebron gets literally every call, regardless of where the game is being played. I hate watching the NBA because the referees control the game more than any official in any sport should. If I were an NBA player I would snap on a ref at some point, I know I would.

Not a huge hockey guy, I know how the Bruins are doing, good or bad, but don't really watch them consistently, even now. If Tuuka keeps playing like he has been, they can make a run, especially if they can get a few guys back from injury. Losing Sturm does hurt though.

ElectricEye
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm really, really disappointed in Beltre this year. I thought he was going to be an absolute steal and really reclaim his career here. He's got a good pull swing when he's on, and it doesn't take much to get it over the monster/hit it. But he hits the ball on the ground soooo much. ****** defense out of him so far too.

EDIT: Literally right after I posted this, Beltre hits his first dinger over the Monster. Lol.

Don Vito
05-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I was never a Beltre fan, I didn't really like the signing too much. Everyone knows he's inconsistent and can disappear for long stretches, but he has a ton of talent.

ElectricEye
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
He's a really, really good defensive player with near unlimited range at third. Really strong arm too. That's always been there for him until now. That alone would have been great, but we haven't got that yet.

Jvig43
05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Hey all three won today. Celtics looked sexy.

Don Vito
05-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah it was a good day to start this up. The Bruins are in good shape starting 2-0 on Philly, we look better than we have all year. Taking one in Cleveland was huge for the Celts, too. The Sox knew this team was going to rely on its pitching and defense, we need to get those units doing their jobs and we need to add some power.

adschofield
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Great game by the Bruins. Gotta love Lucic.

And oh by the way, I'm going to the Red Sox game tomorrow. Try to contain your jealous rage.

Don Vito
05-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Great game by the Bruins. Gotta love Lucic.

And oh by the way, I'm going to the Red Sox game tomorrow. Try to contain your jealous rage.

I would be jealous, but I have Sox/Phillies intreleague tickets for a Friday night game on June 11. Birthday present, and I'm going to Abe and Louies before. It's going to be ballin.

Tomorrow will be fun too if it is anything like today's game.

ElectricEye
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Doubt it will be.

Buchholz has really impressed me this year. He isn't walking as many and he's getting his breaking pitches over. The question with him was never of talent. He's got number one starter stuff. Seems worlds more comfortable this year. Key for him is to cut down on the hard contact and locate his pitches better. Should lead to more K's.

Don Vito
05-04-2010, 01:14 AM
If we do make a move for Adrian Gonzalez, which I hope we try to do, Bucholz will most likely be a part of it. I like him and he is really talented, but if we can ship him and a prospect for a legit slugger I'd be down. I love his ability but the fact is we need power now and he has been really inconsistent, I'd hate to see it end up being a Hanley type of situation but it would make sense now just like the Beckett deal did.

FlyingElvis
05-04-2010, 01:25 AM
The Bruins definitely have the look of a team getting hot at the right time. Getting Savard back is nice, too. I have been watching a ton of hockey over the last few months but really have no idea how good some of the other teams are this year. My only complaint is that I'm on vacation in Utah and have to watch the Bs online and it's a 480 display . . . I think it's called SDTV - stoneage definition television. lol

Celtics are also playing well at the right time. But I definitely agree with Burt on the officiating for the NBA. The top few guys get away with everything and still get all the cheap fouls called in their favor every time. It's ugly to watch.

TNPatsFan
05-04-2010, 07:16 AM
I had very low expectations for the Sox this year even before the season started. They couldn't hit last year and they went out and signed a bunch of guys this offseason that also can't hit. The so-called strategy was to improve the pitching and defense. So they improve the pitching by signing Lackey, who is an ok, not great, pitcher. And I don't think Marco Scutaro is anything special. Just another journeyman shortstop who can't hit.

As for the Celts, they'd win every game if they didn't have to play the fourth quarter. I didn't turn the game on last night until it was early in the fourth. Watched for about 15 minutes and did not see the Celts score a point, while the Cavs went on a 15-0 run. Turned it off just hoping that their wasn't enough time for the Cavs to make the complete comeback.

I rarely get to see the B's, but it's good to see them playing well. They were good last year and I was surprised they struggled so much this year. I guess they have had a lot of injuries that held them back. This is a good time for them to get hot.

nepg
05-04-2010, 08:08 AM
The Sox had a ton of turnover. They'll be fine, just give it some time. We're used to strong April's, but this is a different team. Lots of injuries hasn't helped. Not sure what to think of the pitching. Beckett will probably be up and down all year, and Wakefield is done. Bring up Bowden, and hope Dice-K turns it around enough to be a 5th... I wrote Lackey off when they signed him...he's going to be horrible in Boston.

Good to see the C's play all of Game 2 the way they played the first half of Game 1. Pretty optimistic about this series, and they won't have to worry about Hedo Turkaglo if they get past Cleveland.

Bruins are looking great. They actually improved with Savard's return, and go to Philly with a 2-0 lead. I don't know who I want to win between Pittsburgh and Montreal... On one hand, the Habs are the 8th seed...on the other hand, I know it's going to be a grueling 7-game series...

Jvig43
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
How does everyone feel about Ortizs situation right now?

ElectricEye
05-04-2010, 08:20 AM
If we do make a move for Adrian Gonzalez, which I hope we try to do, Bucholz will most likely be a part of it. I like him and he is really talented, but if we can ship him and a prospect for a legit slugger I'd be down. I love his ability but the fact is we need power now and he has been really inconsistent, I'd hate to see it end up being a Hanley type of situation but it would make sense now just like the Beckett deal did.

Hate trading pitchers to the National League. It always looks like you got screwed, because most of them end up being awesome.

As far as power goes, former top ten prospect(in baseball, not just for the Sox) Lars Anderson has been hitting like a monster in AA this year and was recently promoted to Pawtucket. His problem was always that he didn't pull the ball and hit too many grounders for a guy his size, but those numbers have finally corrected themselves. If we don't trade for a power bat, or even if we do, we could get some help from him after the All Star Break.

Don Vito
05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Sox looked pretty good today, the offense still needs work but Ortiz and Beltre hit bombs. Lackey looked legit and Bard/Papelbon worked the way it is supposed to.

The Bruins are looking nasty right now. One more win and we're in the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in 18 years, this was not supposed to be the year we make it this far.

FlyingElvis
05-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Crazy. Hot at the right time. I almost want a loss Friday to keep them playing. A sweep means an awful lot of time off between games.

ElectricEye
05-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Beltre driving the ball is a very good sign. He projects very well as a right handed Fenway hitter, so long as he drives the ball. Needs to stop that slap ****. I'll take a batting average thirty points lower for more extra base hits. The team really is firing on all cylinders the past few games. The defense has been better too. Honestly, I'm cautiously optimistic about us after Jocoby and Cameron come back.

We need to ******* do something with Ortiz though. He's been better lately, but why wait for him to be a productive hitter when we have Hermida and Lowell sitting on the bench for him at times? If this was anyone else but Ortiz, he would be gone. We've gone through two years of the same stuff now and it just doesn't cut it when you have to beat two teams for the division/wild card.

Oh, and we might have a norse god arriving to help us soon.

http://projectprospect.com/files/media/content/Lars-Anderson300x450%20Double-A.jpg

Don Vito
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Crazy. Hot at the right time. I almost want a loss Friday to keep them playing. A sweep means an awful lot of time off between games.

Now Krejci is done for the playoffs along with Sturm. No good.

FlyingElvis
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
That sucks. I didn't see that. I keep forgetting about the time difference and missing half the game. lol

By the time I started watching online it was already 3-1 with 8 minutes left in the 3rd. I saw the empty net goal, though. :D

ElectricEye
05-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Daisuke looked better tonight. He's a guy that takes awhile to get going, like Lester and Beckett. It's always been an adventure with him, but there's been some really good moments too. Hopefully he can get himself right physically and give us some help this season.

Nice to see Hermida come up big again. Really feel like we have something with him. He plays an excellent Fenway left field already and he's still got offensive upside. Nice to have a younger lefty hitter to try to develop. He's got some power potential too, which is nice.

Nalej
05-08-2010, 10:06 AM
WTF happened to beckett?
One second he was lights out- the other he couldn't control any pitch

It really sucks too when ALL your teams lose on the same day

ElectricEye
05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Baseball is such a ******* ****** game. Why does anyone like it?

Jvig43
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM

well at least its a good thing Bekett is earning his money. :rolleyes:

Nalej
05-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Take it back....

ElectricEye
05-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Hey, stop being such a front running douchebag.

ElectricEye
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Lakcey looked and was, very hittable last night. This really isn't a good trend. The fastball up in the zone is his strikeout pitch right now, but he's also getting slapped around with it at times too. It would be pretty frustrating for him to struggle for a prolonged amount of time. Every year we assemble what is supposed to be the best pitching staff in the league and then fall on our asses.

FlyingElvis
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Missed the last Bruins game. Will be watching from home in the eastern time zone again. Can't wait. Hopefully I won't end up cursing myself for saying "I almost want a loss Friday to keep them playing."

hahahaaahaa!!

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to ElectricEye again."

It's like watching paint dry, no?

ElectricEye
05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I actually said that after the Yankees beat the **** out of us, so take that for what it's worth. I do resent the effect baseball has on my emotional well being sometimes though. It's not like football where you stop posting on here for a week after a loss and pretend it didn't happen. If your team gets the crap kicked out of them, they still have to play the next night most of the time.

Anyway, Daisuke was dealing last night. Economic with his pitches, pounding the strike zone with the good stuff, ect. Good sign. Granted he's the biggest **** tease on the planet and has been ever since his entrance into the Majors, but it's still a good sign. I'm also very pleased with the power production we're getting out of Hermida. If he can raise his average a bit, we have two legit starting caliber corner outfielders.

FlyingElvis
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, I'm glad I couldn't +rep you then. ;)

Nalej
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Dice-K looked good. I expected him to rebound this year bc he actually had time off during the offseason.
He wasn't MVP-ing it up in the World Baseball Classic

Everyone says they want to move on with Ortiz (Buster Olney is quoted of saying "I'll be surprised if he's on the team by the end of the month- WHOA!)
but who I can't stand is JD Drew. **** that waste of talent. His salary is obsurd. Hermida is someone I have my eye. Hes playing well

ElectricEye
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Honestly, if we didn't pay that to JD Drew someone else would. He a frustrating player to watch because if he wasn't such a passive hitter he would probably be one of the best outfielders in basbeall, but he's putting up an .850+ OPS right now. That's well above league average for a corner outfielder. He also makes guys throw a lot of pitches, and you can never really underestimate the value in that. It seems like he doesn't care sometimes and he probably doesn't as much as a guy like Pedroia, but he's one of our three best hitters, like it or not. He's not a problem. He's striking out a bit too much this year, but besides that he's a real solid player.

As far as Ortiz goes, I would also be surprised if he's on the team by the end of the month. He's a two tool player and those two tools are all but gone at this point. Wasting a roster spot. Hermida is a much better hitter at this stage in their careers and would probably get better with more playing time. Ortiz is barely effective as a part time player. Cut him, and bring in someone who can at least play defense and not be useless on the basepaths. It's early, but top prospect Lars Anderson is still holding his own in AAA. The Red Sox use AAA as kind of a taxi squad, only for guys they think are ready to contribute at the major league level. My guess is that if Ortiz is cut and Anderson continues to play well in Pawtuckett, he'll get the call at some point.

Nalej
05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Pedroia, Youk and V-Mart are all better hitters then JD Drew.
Regardless of what the stats say. If he would make that money elsewhere-
then I say let him make that money elsewhere.
If I remember currectly- hes our highest paid player! (Not including pitchers)
JD Drew- D.Ortiz- M.Lowell... I see that as a problem
I say we can do better with our money. I agree with you on Anderson.

Any possibilities for trades? Bring in a big bat? A.Gonzalez from the Padres?
I like VTek and VMart but I'd like to have a catcher that runners are scared to steal on

ElectricEye
05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Completely agree about Pedey and Youk being better hitters, but V-Mart and Drew are both the same caliber of player, except V-Mart might be a bit more fun to watch and he plays a more valuable position.

Like it or not, JD Drew hits for power and walks, which is the gold standard for being a good hitter. He also plays well above average defense in right and is a real smart baserunner. Guys like that don't just grow on trees. He sucked his first year here, but the past three years have been real productive. He's been putting up a .900 OPS consistently. Started off slow this year, but considering he was hitting like .220 something at the start of the month and is up to .286 now, you have to be happy with it. I really don't understand where all the Drew hate comes from. If Mike Lowell was putting up the same numbers, everybody would be doting on him. He really gets an unfair shake for doing absolutely nothing wrong. The only outfielders more productive than him this year in the AL are Wells, Swisher, Rios, Jones, Austin Jackson, Vlad and Crawford. A few of those guys are playing out of their mind right now too. By years end, he'll be a top five offensive outfielder just like he was last year(Jason Bay was the only OF last year who hit better than him, and he did it with almost a hundred more AB's). Not sure who we could get more value for our dollars out of. 14 Mill a year doesn't buy you a better hitter than JD Drew. In fact, in this market, you probably get someone much worse. Jayson Weth is a similar hitter to JD Drew, but he'll probably get 20+ on the open market this off season.

Nalej
05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
My problem with JD Drew is 3 things
1- He's our highest paid hitter (Doesn't deserve to be)
2- He's often injured. Why pay all that money to a part time player?
3- I argue that his defense, while decent, isnt anything to brag about

I dont think he's a bad player. I think thats where the confusion lies with my statement.
His 24 HRs and 68 RBIs were his HI's with us. The only time he's broke 20 HRs might I add.
We added him because we thought he had 30/100 potential with us and he hasn't delivered.
I don't like that he hasn't lived up to the expectations that got him his rediculous contract.
Not that I don't like him. I just think we're over paying for a 20/60 player who gets injured every year
If we wanted a player to just have a high OBP and drive up pitch counts then we could go for players like Nick Swisher and Nick Johnson who combined make less then JD Drew.

We should have paid Bay and got rid of Drew :(

ElectricEye
05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
My problem with JD Drew is 3 things
1- He's our highest paid hitter (Doesn't deserve to be)

That's debatable. At times, he's also the best hitter on our roster. Only reason he's the highest paid is because Youk and Pedroia are home grown. If we had to acquire either of those two on the open market, they would be paid higher and deservingly so, but there's not much you can do about that. The year we needed a corner outfielder he was the best available and he was a MASSIVE upgrade over Trot Nixon. He's actually a great value for dollar guy at the moment. Matt Holliday is being paid 3 Million more for being about the same caliber of player(outside of Coors anyway) and is in a deal with far less wiggle room. Jason Bay is being paid more as well and he is not a consistently better player than Drew.

2- He's often injured. Why pay all that money to a part time player?
This has some truth. That's one of the real frustrating things about him. If he were healthy more often, he would be a lot more well liked around the league. He goes down with some real ticky tacky injuries and at times doesn't seem all that interested in playing through them.

3- I argue that his defense, while decent, isnt anything to brag about
I just think this is wrong. JD Drew has never gotten the credit here for his defense and all around athleticism, not like he should anyway. He's a plus defender in right. He's not a gold glove caliber guy, but he came up playing center field and still has, for the most part, that type of range. He plays the pole well and you rarely see people get any extra bases they don't deserve off of his arm. Defensive statistics are really a pretty funky thing and probably will never really be able to work completely, but in terms of zone rating, JD Drew was the best right fielder in the league last year. Take that for what it's worth, but the numbers do generally line up with the consensus built up from watching guys field. He's also an absolutely excellent base runner. He's not Ellsbury, but he's heady. He judges things well and he has more than enough speed to call him an easy guy to knock in from second.

I dont think he's a bad player. I think thats where the confusion lies with my statement.
His 24 HRs and 68 RBIs were his HI's with us. The only time he's broke 20 HRs might I add.
We added him because we thought he had 30/100 potential with us and he hasn't delivered.
I don't like that he hasn't lived up to the expectations that got him his rediculous contract.
Not that I don't like him. I just think we're over paying for a 20/60 player who gets injured every year
If we wanted a player to just have a high OBP and drive up pitch counts then we could go for players like Nick Swisher and Nick Johnson who combined make less then JD Drew.

We should have paid Bay and got rid of Drew :(

JD Drew is a bit of a frustrating player because he doesn't have the fire that we like to see out of a baseball player, but I just think it's absurd how much people underrate him. Seems like every time the team struggles, the entire Red Sox fanbase goes on a JD Drew witch hunt. We're not overpaying for him like some people seem to think. Overpaying would entail having a value of him that is not in line with what other teams would pay. Someone else in baseball would pay JD Drew 14 Mill to play right field for them, possibly a lot more. Yeah, the injuries are frustrating, but it's part of the package. He's not a 30/100 guy, but that's only because he never gets the 500+ plate appearances those guys manage to get. He plays like one of those guys when he's in the games, and that's really all that matters.

The Yankee Nicks aren't even in the same breath as a player as JD Drew. Johnson plays a non valuable defensive position and struggles with his power even when he is healthy(which is far less than Drew). Swisher isn't nearly as polished of a hitter as Drew is and is basically a shorter version of Adam Dunn with a little more value as a defender. Nearly every GM in the league would take JD Drew and his health issues over those two. Only thing they have over him is the ability to generate plate appearances.

As far as Bay versus Drew goes, that's a bit trickier, but look at what he's doing in New York right now. Fenway inflated his numbers a bit and he's a damn streaky hitter. He really killed us for month long periods at times last year. For prolonged periods of time, he struggled mightily to make contact with the ball. He was in the top five in strikeouts last year and some of them were really bad. He turned into a pure pull hitter who strikes out a ton. Guys like that can kill you, and it's something we've always stayed away from as an organization. I was extremely excited to see what he would have done for us with a full season to play with after the impact he had for us two years ago, but he really let us down. If Bay was the hitter we needed him to be, we would not have traded for Victor Martinez.

Nalej
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I understand your points and while I agree with some- my stance on JD Drew hasn't.
I didn't like the signing years ago- I ***** about him every year and he's done nothing to shut me up.

At least we agree on the injuries.
That 500 AB excuse is weak though bc it's due to his inuries
Plus if you prorate his stats for 500 ABs- he still doesn't reach 30/100

2007: 12 HRs and 69 RBIs
2008: 26 Hrs and 87 RBIs
2009: 22 HRs and 76 RBIs
2010: 22 HRs and 91 RBIs (on pace- I know it's still early)

So no- you can't say it's bc he doesn't reach 500 ABs like the other guys.

I also don't like the market value arguement either. The 1st pick in the draft is serverly overpaid even though they're making "market value" for the first pick.

I'm just ready to move on. His contract is up after next season though.
We need a new DH, a defensive catcher and a new RF IMO

ElectricEye
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I understand your points and while I agree with some- my stance on JD Drew hasn't.
I didn't like the signing years ago- I ***** about him every year and he's done nothing to shut me up.
I just don't understand why people have this attitude about him. Sure he's hurt quite a bit, but he's a major impact player when he's playing. He has this reputation for being the guy to blame, but people never really come after him for the right reasons. Nobody seems to really realize what a good player he is.

At least we agree on the injuries.
That 500 AB excuse is weak though bc it's due to his inuries
Plus if you prorate his stats for 500 ABs- he still doesn't reach 30/100

2007: 12 HRs and 69 RBIs
2008: 26 Hrs and 87 RBIs
2009: 22 HRs and 76 RBIs
2010: 22 HRs and 91 RBIs (on pace- I know it's still early)

So no- you can't say it's bc he doesn't reach 500 ABs like the other guys.

This is not quite true. Guys who lead the legue in power numbers always have well in excess of 500 AB's. Last year, Texeria tied Pena with 39. Pena missed a lot of time and probably could have hit 50+ last year if he did not go down, but Tex had 609 AB's. When you split the difference and give him 550 AB's, his numbers are in line with what you would except from a guy with above average power. He's not an elite power guy and he never will be/has been, but he's a guy that will hurt you with the home run.

I also don't like the market value arguement either. The 1st pick in the draft is serverly overpaid even though they're making "market value" for the first pick.

I'm just ready to move on. His contract is up after next season though.
We need a new DH, a defensive catcher and a new RF IMO

It's the way it works. We can't have overpaid for JD Drew unless everyone else would have paid him substantially less. Sucks, but whatever. The question I have is this; who else would you prefer to Drew? To get a bat like him in the outfield you have to pay for it and you're probably not going to get anywhere near the defensive player he is either. The outfielders that have been switched around since he signed his contract really aren't much to write home about.

Nalej
05-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Sure he's hurt quite a bit, but he's a major impact player when he's playing

That's the thing- I'm not okay with paying 14 million dollars to a player who often injured. Why are you?
If a team wants to make the mistake of paying a player who can't be relied on to play when you need him to- then let them
He should play in 150+ games for me to be okay with his salary.
Also, I did the math for 500 ABs bc that's the number you threw out.
No one is stopping JD from reaching 500+ ABs except for him and his fragile self.
Major impact player? That's debatable. I think he's an avg to above avg player.
Major impact players are those who people are scared to pitch to and come through again and again in the clutch.
While JD has had some timely hits here and there- no one pitches around him

After JD Drew's contract's up- I'll let you know when I see that FA class.
I assure you that I won't be on the ReSign JD Bandwagon... unless of course he hits like a guy getting paid 14 mill this year and next.
Staying healthy would be a good start

proshoota25
05-13-2010, 07:00 PM
so pumped for this celtics game tonight!

Nalej
05-13-2010, 07:13 PM
We're playing well early. Good to see.

ElectricEye
05-13-2010, 10:06 PM
That's the thing- I'm not okay with paying 14 million dollars to a player who often injured. Why are you?
If a team wants to make the mistake of paying a player who can't be relied on to play when you need him to- then let them
He should play in 150+ games for me to be okay with his salary.
Also, I did the math for 500 ABs bc that's the number you threw out.
No one is stopping JD from reaching 500+ ABs except for him and his fragile self.
We pay 12 mill a year to Lowell, who is also often injured. That's also not such a great thing, but we don't see Red Sox nation pouring on Lowell for being overpaid every time we struggle.

Major impact player? That's debatable. I think he's an avg to above avg player.
Major impact players are those who people are scared to pitch to and come through again and again in the clutch.
While JD has had some timely hits here and there- no one pitches around him

A 900+ OPS player who plays excellent defense and runs the bases well is the very definition of an impact player. Is he a great player? No, he isn't. But he's a damn good one and nobody really gives him credit for it. By that definition, I would argue that there's maybe 5-10 major impact player in the big leagues right now. There's a short order for guys who will actually help you both in the field and be complete hitters. We really don't know how lucky we are. We could be stuck with Jose Guillen or Randy Winn. Hell, we almost got stuck with Jermaine Dye a few years back.

Sorry if I'm griding an ax, this is just one of my things. JD Drew, when he's healthy, is so much better of a player than we give him credit for around here. Is he a bit of a **** tease? Sure. But he's not the cancer that some people seem to think he is and he's certainly not a bum like the guys that know next to nothing about baseball and ***** on WEEI seem to think either(the type of guys who would take someone who wins 20+ games with a 5+ ERA over a decent pitcher).

Don Vito
05-13-2010, 11:34 PM
GTFO Lebron

descendency
05-14-2010, 01:36 AM
GTFO Lebron

LeBron who?

Nalej
05-14-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't think we should be paying a back up player 12 million.
I also have said that I've NEVER liked JD Drew. I never liked the signing from the get go.
I'm not attacking him now bc we're struggling early.
I never said he was a cancer or a bum.
I understand that he's not a bad player- he's a guy that bats 5-7th (if no injuries)
He did not live up to the expectations , IMO. Injuires aside.
I think we're not managing our money wisely and it's showing.

I don't get WEEI (Live in PA) so I don't know who you're talking about.
I hope you're not compaing me to those examples though. That'd be rude! lol

FlyingElvis
05-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Celtics looking like a championship calibur team right now.

C'mon Bruins!! Please don't make me hate myself. lol

nepg
05-14-2010, 08:26 AM
On one hand, I really don't want to go down after being up 3 games to a Philadelphia team...on the other, I don't know if I can handle another 7-game Boston-Montreal series in the ECF.

descendency
05-15-2010, 08:06 AM
What The F***, Bruins?

Nalej
05-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Celtics looking like a championship calibur team right now.

C'mon Bruins!! Please don't make me hate myself. lol

Don't hate yourself!

Don Vito
05-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Bruins **** off

Nalej
05-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Red Sox really need to work on that bullpen. Damnit.

ElectricEye
05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Lakcey sucked it up fairly hard today.

Nalej
05-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Lakcey sucked it up fairly hard today.

FACT! The O fell flat too as well though

Celtics played great. awesome that we took home court advantage.
Perkins is playing great D on Howard and we're guarding the 3 pt line very well.

FlyingElvis
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Don't hate yourself!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

epic

choke

Jvig43
05-17-2010, 04:43 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

epic

choke

It didnt happen! It didnt happen.

Whats worse for me is my roomie is from philly and was talking **** all week. I finally start throwing some back when we score three, then it comes back twice as worse from him when they come back. welp, GO CELTICS!

nepg
05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Honestly...it was lose like this to Philly or lose like this to Montreal...I'll take losing to Philly. Then, if some miracle happened and they got past Montreal without Krecji and Sturm, they would have lost to Joe Thornton's Sharks... That would have been infinitely worse.

Jvig43
05-17-2010, 11:43 PM
**** The Yankees

ElectricEye
05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
**** you Paps....

Nalej
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
;a'dskfkdasladoijfadjfaoidjflakdjf

proshoota25
05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
haha i love all the hatred we give to our teams :)

it would be absolutely HUGE if the celtics can go up 2-0 on the magic tonight

FlyingElvis
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Dvr set so I can skip all the non-basketball filler. There's a ton of time wasted in a broadcast with commercials, timeouts and other stoppages.

C'mon 2-0!!!

nepg
05-18-2010, 06:56 PM
haha i love all the hatred we give to our teams :)

it would be absolutely HUGE if the celtics can go up 2-0 on the magic tonight

If they go up 2-0, the series is over.

Don Vito
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
http://thebostonsportsnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/rajonrondo01_45957.jpg

ElectricEye
05-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Rondo is a bad mother ******.

proshoota25
05-19-2010, 12:57 AM
i think the celts will win this series in 5 games. bring on the lakers for another epic matchup!

Jvig43
05-19-2010, 02:41 AM
If we wanna beat the Lakers we have to get better at not letting teams stick around in the 4th. Kobe wont be missing those last shots for the game.

Don Vito
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Infield grandstand seats tonight, first week back from school for the summer

BOOM!

descendency
05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Rondo has been my most under-rated player in the NBA since 2008.

If the Celtics lose tomorrow night, Boston fans should be put on suicide watch. Perkins can NOT pick up his 7th technical foul again.

Nalej
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't think we'll win game 7 so we have to win game 6.
I agreee... Perkins picking up a 7th tech kinda counts as an auto loss

FlyingElvis
05-28-2010, 02:54 PM
2 of the worst techs I've ever seen. That's saying alot, considering how terrible NBA officiating is over the years.

Gotta close it out. I can't take another ******* meltdown.

Jvig43
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Looking good boys, looking good.

ElectricEye
05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
http://digitalderek.typepad.com/sawxblog/photos/2008/regular_season/may/BEAT_LA.jpg

Don Vito
05-29-2010, 09:25 AM
http://digitalderek.typepad.com/sawxblog/photos/2008/regular_season/may/BEAT_LA.jpg

So pumped...

Nalej
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Red Sox are looking good! Big Papi's found his bat! Our starting pitching is second to none right now... sweetness

Celtics are looking good. I'm still worried about Perkins and his 7th tech.
If Wallace, nate and Tony Allen all contribute- no chance we lose!

FlyingElvis
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I think Perk will keep it together. He's a smart guy and will not want to put the team in a bad position.

Jvig43
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
4 1/2 hours boys. So pumped right now.

Jvig43
06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Ray Allen is just fantastic. That is all.

FlyingElvis
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I have to give Doc credit for sticking with KG. But gdammit he needs to come up big in the next game or I'll be screaming for more 'Sheed.

. . . OMFG did I really type that?

Nalej
06-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I think you did. As long as we're winning- let's just stick to what's working.
KG was in foul trouble (like everyone else in the game) so that hampered his ability to get going
You can't underrate his passing ability though. He's great.

Jvig43
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
The NBA thread in the off topic was hilarious last night. We lose game one with awful calls against us, and we just say we need to plan better and execute better. Lakers lose and all the Lakers fans start bitching about the refs. I even turned sports center on today to see Phil Jackson bitching about the calls. How about try guarding Allen and stopping Rondo from making you guys look like fools.

FlyingElvis
06-07-2010, 02:55 PM
^ I thought it was just a couple of Lakers fans on another forum I frequent, but it really is starting to seem like LA fans always blame the refs.

That game last night was poorly officiated and the refs had far too great an impact, but it was both ways. Phantom fouls on Kobe (on Kobe??!!!) and totally missed call underneath on both sides. Several clean blocks by Celtic players that were called as fouls - it was terrible. But it was definitely both ways. (Tell me somebody else saw Bynum flat out shove Glen out of bounds to try and block Wallace's layup? If the video is up somewhere it happened with ~ 6mins left in Q3)

Najel - I completely agree. I love Wallace, but KG is such a great player in all aspects of the game. The pick that took out Gasol & Kobe so Rondo could walk right in for a layup; several great passes down the stretch; I have no issue with him staying in while struggling. But he definitely needs to be a big presence back in Boston.

FlyingElvis
06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
My kingdom for one game where 2 of the "big three" have good games together. It's always one guy on fire and the other two stinkin' up the joint.

sigh

Nalej
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Agreed. Some D on Fisher would have been nice too

ElectricEye
06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Alright, grey clouds after that game three...but yeah, the Red Sox did well in the biggest crap shoot in sports; the MLB Draft.

Suggest everyone reads up on it at http://soxprospects.com/dh.htm

Highlights;

Picked Kolbrin Vitek out of Ball State with the first of our three first rounders. Vitek is a good bat that's really disciplined at the plate and makes good contact. He has a chance to hit for average power, but the Sox were apparently higher on his power potential than other teams. He played second at Ball State, but at 6'3 195 he'll likely end up third or in the outfield as he gets physically bigger. Has the arm for either as he's been clocked in the 90's on the mound.

Bryce Brentz was our next pick. He isn't really that big (6'0 195) but he's got a lot of power already and a pretty high ceiling. He fell due to injuries, but at one time he was a top fifteen talent.

The next pick was Anthony Ranaudo, a name people who watched LSU win it all last year in the College World Series should be familiar with. He was a surfire top ten pick at the start of the season but he was absolutely awful for most of it. 7+ ERA this year, although he got himself together a bit towards the end of the year. Most of that can be attributed to injuries and mechanics, but still, it's concerning stuff. He is a talent though. He has a 94 MPH fastball that could add a few ticks with his frame (6'7 230) and a nice 12-6 curve to go along with it.

We got a nice value with Brandon Workmen is the second round(consensus top twenty talent). Throws hard (up to 95) and he has decent secondary stuff to compliment it, including a nice high 80's cutter. He doesn't have an easy delivery and there is some effort behind it, so he might be a bullpen guy down the road, but he also has a good chance to stick as a starter.

First high school guy we took was Sean Coyle, a SS. He's small, but he's got good overall skills from what I've read. Particuarly noted are his speed and his strong build (5'9 180). Committed to UNC, might be a tough sign.

Garin Cecchini was the next high school bat we took. He plays SS right now, but he might already be too big for the position at 6'3 215. He has a high power threshold and hits left handed. Decent speed and overall athleticism, but he might not end up sticking at a premium defensive position from what I've gathered. Isn't as smooth as some other guys. Would have been a first rounder if not for an injury. Committed to LSU, but supposedly signable.

nepg
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Agreed. Some D on Fisher would have been nice too
Doc went with Baby for too long. Not going back to Perk in crunch time lost the game. The Lakers abused the C's inside with Baby and KG in the game rather than Perk. Gasol abused him, and Fisher & Kobe were able to drive for easy buckets. I love what Baby did in his time on the court, but he should have been out of there with 4 minutes left. He started pressing on offense and missed a ton of inside buckets. Also, running a play for Ray Allen at the end of the game when he's 0-12 is just ********. Pierce and KG were the hot hands. When they started running that play, I said "anyone but Ray!"

That one's on Doc, imo.

Jvig43
06-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Doc went with Baby for too long. Not going back to Perk in crunch time lost the game. The Lakers abused the C's inside with Baby and KG in the game rather than Perk. Gasol abused him, and Fisher & Kobe were able to drive for easy buckets. I love what Baby did in his time on the court, but he should have been out of there with 4 minutes left. He started pressing on offense and missed a ton of inside buckets. Also, running a play for Ray Allen at the end of the game when he's 0-12 is just ********. Pierce and KG were the hot hands. When they started running that play, I said "anyone but Ray!"

That one's on Doc, imo.

I would of done the same exact thing to be honest. Baby was ridiculously hot at that time and put us right in the game at that point, not only was he making shots, but was drawing the fouls. Fisher making shots like he did was just ridiculous, some of those shots were just pure luck from where he took them. Going to Ray when hes 0-12, I would of given him the chance as well. Sure he obviously wasnt on his game, but had he made that last three it was a one point game, and I mean when is Ray Allen going to miss something like that (obviously that game haha) but I trust him enough to keep giving him the ball with open shots, its unheard of when Ray ray has a game like that, doesnt happen often. It didnt help that when we were getting some chances that KG shoved Vujchec or however you spell it on the ground when ray had an open lane. My friends have already given up on the Cs because of the whole 3rd game stat but if we can win these next two games well be right in this.

FlyingElvis
06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
KG playing well made me question why he sat so long but Doc has consistently shown his confidence in guys even when they're struggling, so I have no issue with running a play for Ray. Pierce was not the hot hand. He was terrible offensively, just like Ray.

The Lakers played fantastic offensively and defensively, whereas the Cs were incosistent all night. Doc didn't lose, the Lakers won.

nepg
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
KG playing well made me question why he sat so long but Doc has consistently shown his confidence in guys even when they're struggling, so I have no issue with running a play for Ray. Pierce was not the hot hand. He was terrible offensively, just like Ray.

The Lakers played fantastic offensively and defensively, whereas the Cs were incosistent all night. Doc didn't lose, the Lakers won.
Pierce had a stroke going, but couldn't get a lot of shots. He was 3-4 shooting 3's, and had a good rhythm going late in the game. I agree that you keep feeding Ray, but not in that spot. They blew their load on that play, and really should have just gone for a 2 and tried to get a stop at the other end...which brings us to Baby v. Perk.

Fisher wouldn't have even been able to take those shots with Perk in the game. And it was obvious that Fisher was starting to heat up (and he and Kobe were both getting deep in the lane consistently). Doc really screwed up by going with Baby just because Baby was playing well at the other end until halfway through the 4th quarter.

Jvig43
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Ehh again I feel alot of those last shots by fisher he doesnt normally make, I mean before that period he had like 4 points. i dont disagree that Perk is better on D, but we needed points at the time, idk we just need to ******* win these next two games.

Don Vito
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Do or die tonight

Jvig43
06-10-2010, 11:57 PM
******* awesome job by the bench tonight. Big Baby is playing out of his mind right now. If were hanging around games with our big three being sub par, imagine what itll be like when their on. Lets hope we can win out in Boston, and have everyone step it up in LA.

descendency
06-11-2010, 04:47 AM
HFS... wherefore art thou, Paul Peirce? even Kevin Garnett is showing up at home.

Honestly, if the bench wasn't playing so well, this would have been a sweep. If Paul Peirce would show up, this would be 3-1 Boston.

FlyingElvis
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
lol - love the Glen sig.

Beasting last night. That was awesome. I haven't found the full presser yet, but here's the best part w/Nate & Glen --> linked (http://www.necn.com/06/11/10/Glen-Davis-and-Nate-Robinson-aka-Shrek-a/landing.html?blockID=251582&feedID=4215)!

Jvig43
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Come on C's, one more game.

FlyingElvis
06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Win in 6.

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePl ease

FlyingElvis
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
ugly.

Several places quoting a "team source" saying Perkins is done. :(

Don Vito
06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
last night sucked, losing Perk blows

Nalej
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Our middle relief blows!

Nalej
07-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Ray Allen re-signed. Paul Pierce resigned. Doc is coming back.
Sweetness!

We're also looking to add Kwame Brown, Shaq, Brad Miller or Jermaine O'Neal for some added depth while Perkins recovers from his knee injury

Nalej
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Youk is out for the season. This season is over... smh...
Wasting a good Lester/Bucholz season and a strong 2nd half by Beckett and Dice-K.

Shaq and Jermaine Oneal signed with the Celts.
I'm excited. We got outrebounded so bad in game 7 after Perk went down.
Looks like we're making sure that doesn't happen again

nepg
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Eh...I'm not doom & gloom about the Red Sox just yet. Youk going down gives the Sox a reason to pursue Adam Dunn, and they're getting back a few more guys really soon. The pitching is starting to come together...just waiting for the cavalry to come in from Pawtucket to give the relievers some relief.

Nalej
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Our middle relief has been terrible all season.
I'm not down bc Youk went down... I'm down bc
Youk, Pedrioa, VTek, VMart, Beckett, Lowell, Buckholz all missing time... and most still missing them
Add to that, Palp is having a rough season. Loaded the bases again today prior to shutting the door.
I'm not as confident with him in the 9th as I used to be. Not during this stretch at least. (I still love him as our closer from now til he retires)

We've just been to banged up... I'm surprised we're still only 6 games out.

nepg
08-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Ya, but those guys are coming back and since most of them missed a significant portion of the season, they're coming back fresh.

The starting pitching is so good, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of the team does. Getting Pedy and Tek back will be huge. They just need to keep grinding.

Nalej
08-07-2010, 11:09 AM
You see it as coming back fresh.
I see it as coming back rusty and the team chem on defense lacking.
We'll see I guess.

Taking game 1 was huge last night. Bucholz is a monster.

nepg
08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, ******* look out Tampa!

Nalej
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
haha hell yea... Beltre's a beast... Trade JD Drew!

nepg
08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Damn, Paps showed up tonight. 10-pitch, 3K 9th... Very nice.

P-L
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Damn, Paps showed up tonight. 10-pitch, 3K 9th... Very nice.
Let's not get too excited. He got to face the 7-8-9 hitters. Then again, I'll take any positive I can get at this point.

Nalej
08-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Exactly. This is the first season I don't shut the game off after the 8th inning.
Pap'll get his swagger back in no time. I'm sure of that.

This Bard's gonna be our closer-talk needs to stop though
unless the plan to make Pap a starter is back

"The difference between pitching in the 8th inning and the 9th inning- is the difference between living on earth or on mars"-
-C.Schilling

nepg
09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm starting to get excited about the 2011 Red Sox... The off-season should be really interesting because of all of the players that could be leaving, but the pitching staff looks great and there are a lot of young guys that will finally be coming up.

Jvig43
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Um, so Celtics look oh so sexy. And when we get Perk back, mmmmmmmm.

Nalej
10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
We ****** up the Heat. Haha... great game to watch again.
Love the clutch of Ray Ray- wish he would have been that way in the finals :(

Jvig43
10-27-2010, 12:06 PM
We ****** up the Heat. Haha... great game to watch again.
Love the clutch of Ray Ray- wish he would have been that way in the finals :(

You just had to bring it up :(. Pierce looked real good last night too. Read an article a few days ago with him saying he hasnt felt this healthy and excited for a season in a long time. I'm excited about what this team can do.

Nalej
10-27-2010, 10:46 PM
wtf happened tonight? Game wasn't available locally. Anyone see it?

Jvig43
10-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I dont wanna talk about it. haha

Nalej
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Celtics

Rondo is playing like a man possessed. I love it. I'll admit, I thought we'd start off slow. The age factor with our team always scares me but it looks like we're playing like we truly are pissed we didn't win the Championship last year. I love it.

Red Sox

BoSox picked up the option on David Ortiz. I love the move. He hit 30/100 last year even with the first 6 weeks being terrible. Some things I would like to see:
-Trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Padres picked up his option but it's likely that this is his last year in SD. I say we go get him. If so, he'll play first and Youk'll shift to third
-If we don't then I'd like for us to resign Beltre. Dude played like a beast for us and on top of the big bat- he's amazing with the glove.
-If all the above fails- sign a low level FA or promote someone and grab Prince Fielder next summer.
-**** JD Drew. I'm sick of paying him to sit on the bench. I'd love if we get J. Werth. It was on the news that BoSox are the favorites to sign him though the Phillies will make a strong push for him. Crawford would be nice but he's like Ellsbury and I don't know whered he fit in the lineup. Leadoff goes to Ellsbury and Pedroia's 2nd. Crawford 5th? 6th? Main reason I'd want him is only bc I konw the Yankees want him bad.

nepg
11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I like what I've seen from Erden so far.

Nalej
11-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Um.... Who????

ElectricEye
11-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Um.... Who????

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/0/0e/Semih_Erden.jpg
SEMIH!

Nalej
11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh! That guy... does he even play much?
I've only seen two games this year (MIA and Chi) and I didn't see him on the floor for either one

ElectricEye
11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I've only seen two games this year (MIA and Chi) and I didn't see him on the floor for either one

Yeah, he plays quite a bit right now and will probably play even more with the injured O'Neils.

nhlkdog411
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM

He's played 10-15 minutes the last couple games and scored like 6-9 points each game I think..7 feet, pretty athletic from what i've seen and gets to the line/hits (literally) all his free-throws...im decently high on him from the ferociously small sample size.

nepg
11-10-2010, 06:53 AM
He's like a freakish cross between Perk and Scal (the good things about Scal).

nhlkdog411
11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
He's like a freakish cross between Perk and Scal (the good things about Scal).

I tried to picture what that would look like and *almost* spit out the foot I was eating due to a laugh.

Nalej
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Why were you eating a foot? lol

ElectricEye
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Cannibalism on NFLDC? More likely than you think.

nhlkdog411
11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Why were you eating a foot? lol

yeah that was an interesting little typo haha

Nalej
11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
So how do you guys feel about the BoSox off-season so far?
The rumors about trading for Justin Upton or Adrian Gonzalez
VMart heading to Detroit, us offering him arbitration
Us probably losing Beltre, us looking at Crawford and Werth

I really want us to resign Beltre then trade for Upton.
If we do, Ellsbury will be in the deal then sign Crawford to lead off.

If we don't resign Beltre then trade for A. Gonzalez.
Then sign Crawford or Werth depending on who we trade.

Also, I think Palp should retain his closing job. He had a down year but when he's on, he's the best.
Bard is nasty but he's the only star in that ****** bullpen of ours. We need all the help we can get.
I'm not completely sold as Salty as our catcher but if we resign VTek to be his backup then I'd feel better.
Napoli or Molina would be nice too though.

I hate Lackey and he JD Drew.
I'd like see one of our young OFs get to start the season on the club
if we don't sign Crawford or Werth

ElectricEye
12-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Sox got Adrian Gonzalez. **** yeah.

Nalej
12-04-2010, 12:33 PM
This makes me happy in the pants!
We got AGon and did'nt involve Ellsbury
Sign Werth, a defensive C and upgrade the bullpen and we're serious contenders.

=)

nepg
12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
So this means Beltre is gone? What about Lars? What about Youk? This is going to really shake things up.

ElectricEye
12-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, but we need Gonzo's bat. Youk will likely be moved to third and Beltre is likely walking. Lars...who knows. He needs to figure things out quickly to get a shot with us, but could be trade bait.

If we sign Werth or Crawford, or both, we're looking good.

nepg
12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm not complaining... This is a huge coup for the Red Sox. But it's interesting to try to figure out what they're going to do with those other guys and positions now. Seems like Papi could be getting squeezed out as the DH soon.

ElectricEye
12-04-2010, 01:53 PM
If we sign Beltre, which we still have a shot at doing, there's not really a place for him.

Don Vito
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Gonzalez is a huge addition, we've been talking about getting him for a couple years now too. I think we get one out of Werth and Crawford with Crawford being a real possibility. We're looking good.

ElectricEye
12-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Think Werth is the target now. More valuable player because we fall into the trap of being a left handed dominant lineup otherwise.

Don Vito
12-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Don't like giving up Casey Kelly though, but to get Gonzalez we'd have to give up at least one valuable guy.

ElectricEye
12-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Think Rizzo is the real chip. Kelly has a high Michael Bowden threshold. Dominated A ball because of his control and his stuff was good enough to get by 18 and 19 year olds, might not project to stay at that level down the line.

Rizzo on the otherhand, hit 25 homers, the majority of them in an unforgiving park, as a 20 year old coming off of cancer. He's a plus defender too. He might be the guy we wished we had kept, but it's fine because in an ideal word he becomes Adrian Gonzalez in five years...but we traded him for Adrian Gonzalez. Very big if as always for guys in baseball reaching their potential.

Nalej
12-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure Beltre is pretty much out of the running now.
AGonz at 1st, Youk to 3rd, we need a RH OF so Werth seems like the natural fit there
Our bullpen still needs help and we need to sign a catcher thats a defensive speacilist

1-Ellsbury (L)
2-Pedroia (R)
3-AGonz (L)
4-Youk (R)
5-Oritz (L)
6-Werth (R)
7-Drew (L)
8-Scutaro (R)
9 Salty/VTek/??? (S)

TELL ME THAT DOESN'T LOOK SEXY!

Think Werth is the target now. More valuable player because we fall into the trap of being a left handed dominant lineup otherwise.

Me too. Only way is if we trade Ellsbury away in a package for bullpen help or an upgrade at catcher. Then I could see us going after Crawford

ElectricEye
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
That lineup does look pretty damn good provided health holds.

nhlkdog411
12-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Werth's gone cuz the nationals are absolute idiots...bring on CRAWFORD!

ElectricEye
12-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Bring back Beltre and move Youk to LF.

nhlkdog411
12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Bring back Beltre and move Youk to LF.

Thats...actually an intriguing idea...only thing is I'm not sure Youk has enough range (is that wierd to say when we've put manny ramirez out there?) and it just seems odd to take a guy who's a gold glove first basemen then put him at third where he's also a plus defender (at worst) and then make him a left fielder..i dunno how he'd take it either.

ElectricEye
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Thats...actually an intriguing idea...only thing is I'm not sure Youk has enough range (is that wierd to say when we've put manny ramirez out there?) and it just seems odd to take a guy who's a gold glove first basemen then put him at third where he's also a plus defender (at worst) and then make him a left fielder..i dunno how he'd take it either.

He's actually done it before. It's awkward, but if I had to pick a guy to do it, it would be Youk.

Nalej
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Yea, he's done it before and he looked TERRIBLE!
Beltre isn't in our future plans with AGonz here now
I say, sign Crawford and use Ellsbury as bait for a RH power bat
Only issue is... Ellsbury is our lead off hitter and I'm pretty sure he's said he doesn't want to bat lead off anymore.
Justin Upton is a name out there but AZ wants a lot and I don't want to deplete (sp?) our farm system anymore

ElectricEye
12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I say, sign Crawford and use Ellsbury as bait for a RH power bat

Problem is...Ellsbury and who? There's really no one out there and Ellsbury doesn't have anybody calling at this point.

Nalej
12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Yea, I guess that was my point. No need in signing Crawford.
We need a RH power bat in the OF. Crawford is neither.
Looks like we open the season with JD Drew, Ellsbury and Cameron
Kalish, Nava, McDonald and Reddick backing them up.
I'm pretty content with them backing them up.
It's only a matter time before Drew gets injured again
(While I"m talking ****, here's hoping Ellsbury and Cameron are 100% next year)

ElectricEye
12-07-2010, 09:44 PM
We're in on Russell Martin. Makes a ton of sense.

Nalej
12-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Quick google search...

-Beltran is apparently available. The Mets would like to rid themselves of his 18 Million dollar salary next yar
-M.Ordonez.. he's a FA. I wouldn't mind a 1 or 2 yr deal for him

ElectricEye
12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
If you don't like JD, you're going to hate Beltran. Ordonez is interesting and would be a good Fenway hitter, but father time scares me there.

Don Vito
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I really want us to go after Russell Martin.

Nalej
12-08-2010, 07:20 AM
If he can get a ball from homeplate to 2nd then I'm all for it

ElectricEye
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Martin is a plus defender, last time I heard.

ElectricEye
12-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Crawford inked.

We NEED a right handed bat though. I think we might have to sell low on Ellsbury just to find a guy to balance out the lineup. Beltran is a possibility, and that deal could be done mostly for just eating cash, but who plays center then? I don't trust Beltran to play an entire season and that leaves Cameron as the only other guy on the roster capable of playing center...and well, don't trust him to play the whole year either.

Jvig43
12-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Yep just saw on espn, go Sox.

ElectricEye
12-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Have to say, pretty pleased with these moves. Shows that we're committed to competing, which people have questioned recently.

Also, look out for us to sign Scott Downs or another type A reliever now that we broke our type A cherry.

Apparently, we're also STILL in on Cliff Lee. We're spending John Henry's money like nobody's business right now. Offered him a seven year deal at a reduced price.

Oh, and just thought about the entire left handedness issue...it's an advantage against 2/3 starting pitchers in the major league and we have Lowrie, Cameron, and McDonald on the bench. All of those guys crush the ball against left handed pitching. Lowrie might even emerge as our starting short stop at one point during the season because of how well he has hit when he's been in there, so there's that silver lining.

Jvig43
12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah I got pretty frustrated after this season and havent kept up with alot of Sox stuff but I just started reading some stuff over on espnboston and chatting with a big sox friend of mine.

ElectricEye
12-09-2010, 12:32 AM
It's looking more and more like the Yankees could be out on Lee. They made their push and the deal still is not done. The Rangers and the Angels were in on Crawford as well and now that he's off the market one of them could make an even bigger push. If he gets that seventh year at close to 25 from one of them, think it's a done deal.

Jvig43
12-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Lee was someone I was keeping a close eye on, I hope he doesnt go to the Yankees, I love Lee.

Don Vito
12-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Today was a good day. I still don't want to buy Lee to the Yankees but it almost seems inevitable.

ElectricEye
12-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Add Varitek to that list of guys who can still hit lefties mentioned earlier.

But I still think we should be in on Martin. Good buy low gamble there. If he's healthy and returns to form, he's another real good right handed bat to have in the lineup that we can use to make pitching to us more difficult.

Nalej
12-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Wow!

-Love the signing but I just don't know where he fits. Especially another LH bat.
I don't think this spells the end of Ellsbury. I'd hate if we traded him for a guy who plays less games than JD Drew unless the Mets paid the majority of his 18 Mill contract.
I love Crawford as our LF bc he's only weakness is his weak arm and that gets minimized due to the short field. He'll have to learn how to play the ball of the wall full time now though
-With our Type A cherry popped, as mentioned above, I can see us going after whoever now to add to our bullpen. Still a big question mark entering the season
-Martin is still a possiblity
-Lee isn't (I said the same thing about Crawford though!)
-I could see us signing Ordonez and having him play against lefties and having JD Drew play against righties.
It'd be a good idea with how injuried those two are... splitting time could help themselves stay healthy. He could spell the DH spot from time to time as well.

Beckett
Lester
Bucholz
Lackey
Dice-K

1-Crawford LF
2-Pedroia 2B
3-AGonz 1B
4-Youk 3B
5-Ortiz DH
6-JD Drew RF
7-Scutoro/Lowrie SS
8-Salty/V-Tek C
9-Ellsbury CF

Man, if we get bullpen help and another RH hitter... oh man... I can't see us winning less than 100 games and making a serious run for the ring

Nalej
12-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Well, BoSox signed Jenks and Wheeler. I'm in Love.
I guess this is the end of Okijima. I always liked him but I understand

nepg
12-18-2010, 01:58 PM
This whole baseball off-season feels dirty. I don't know if I can stomach rooting for one of the teams that's destroying the competitive balance of the sport in the upcoming season... I'll probably come around when September rolls around, but I might just hide amongst the Royals fans until then. Is this the opposite of fairweather?

proshoota25
12-18-2010, 02:05 PM
i think we need another left reliever. not too sure how doubront will handle the big leagues for a full year.

tito has said he wants jacoby to bat leadoff, and that would be our best lineup. im thinking this will be the lineup, which would be fun:

1. Ellsbury CF
2. Crawford LF
3. Pedroia 2B
4. Gonzo 1B
5. Youk 3B
6. Ortiz DH
7. Drew RF
8. Tek/Salty
9. Scutaro/Lowrie

pretty insane lineup

how many RBIs does gonzo get with those 3 in front of him? woww

ElectricEye
12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
This whole baseball off-season feels dirty. I don't know if I can stomach rooting for one of the teams that's destroying the competitive balance of the sport in the upcoming season... I'll probably come around when September rolls around, but I might just hide amongst the Royals fans until then. Is this the opposite of fairweather?

We're entitled to it because we've had to contend with the only other team that does it for years. I'm cool with us abusing the systems if we're the only ones smart enough to figure out how.

Nalej
12-18-2010, 02:59 PM
It only feels so good bc we're doing it in a year where the Yanks failed in all their attempts.
It's not like we've never tried to do this before...
We signed Manny, Ortiz, Renteria, Lackey and DiceK. Traded for Becket, VMart and Jason Bay.
We failed in attempts for Tex and ARod.
So it's not like this is any different from years before. We just were especially successful this offseason

As for our lineups... this is what I think

Vs Righties

1-J.Ellsbury CF
2-D.Pedrioa 2B
3-C.Crawford LF
4-A.Gonzalez 1B
5-K.Youk 3B
6-D.Ortiz DH
7-JD Drew RF
8-M.Scutaro SS
9-Salty C

Vs Lefties

1-J.Ellsbury CF
2-D.Pedroia 2B
3-K.Youk 3B
4-A.Gonz 1B
5-M.Cameron RF
6-C.Crawford LF
7-J.Lowrie DH
8-M.Scutaro SS
9-Salty C

As far as lefties go, I agree with hoping for another lefty besides Doubront. I guess it doesn't hurt to check and see how he does and if he struggles, then trade for someone. I hope they bring back Okijima to a minor league deal and let him work out his issues.

I love the 7-8-9 of Jenks-Bard-Palp... AMAZING!
No excuses for Beckett, DiceK and Lackey. We are ready to win now.
Hopefully Bucholz continues on from last year too.

ElectricEye
12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I think we can pick up some sort of side arm lefty craft bastard somewhere off the scrap heap. The other lefty is Andrew Miller, but he's going to need some time. Could pay huuuuuge dividends towards the end of the season with if we can fix his mechanics.

Nalej
12-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Yup, Miller is definitely a low risk high reward type of guy. I hope he balls

nepg
12-18-2010, 04:23 PM
This is the perfect situation for Miller. He's not expected to be a #1, and he's behind so many other guys. I think he busts out and wreaks havoc on the MLB. I'd like to see him in the rotation down the road, but they'll probably stick him in the bullpen.

nepg
12-18-2010, 04:27 PM
It only feels so good bc we're doing it in a year where the Yanks failed in all their attempts.
It's not like we've never tried to do this before...
We signed Manny, Ortiz, Renteria, Lackey and DiceK. Traded for Becket, VMart and Jason Bay.
We failed in attempts for Tex and ARod.
So it's not like this is any different from years before. We just were especially successful this offseason

Manny was one of the Top 5 players in baseball when they signed him to that deal. They signed Ortiz for like $2 million. Lackey is in the same boat as Crawford. Those guys have no business getting the contracts they got. $140 million is insane for a guy like Carl Crawford. It's nonsensical.

ElectricEye
12-18-2010, 04:44 PM
This is the perfect situation for Miller. He's not expected to be a #1, and he's behind so many other guys. I think he busts out and wreaks havoc on the MLB. I'd like to see him in the rotation down the road, but they'll probably stick him in the bullpen.

Safer that way. He was only hitting low 90's starting. Let him throw as hard as he can out of the pen and fix the mechanics and we have something.

Nalej
12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Oh ... and the Celtics just won an NBA season high 13 straight with all their injries
No biggie...

Nalej
01-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Garnett's injured :( Injury bug's in town. Attacked the BoSox, Pats and Celts.

Okijima's back on a one year deal. Will compete in ST for the lefty position in the bullpen.
I hope he regains his stuff...

ElectricEye
01-02-2011, 12:09 AM
He won't though. Same **** every year.

Nalej
01-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Yea, which is why I don't mind that he has to earn his spot with Doubont, Miller, (two other lefties that I can't think of) all fighting for a roster spot as a lefty BP'er

ElectricEye
01-02-2011, 12:20 AM
It is good we're not counting on him. Doubront likely starts the year in that role for us and Miller probably contributes down the stretch after we play with his mechanics.

Nalej
02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Ray Allen... All Time Three Point King

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01181/allen_jpg_1181425cl-3.jpg

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
nBNugi7YkzM

Crawford is ready. Prepare your anus New York.

Nalej
02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Nice video. No pop ups in Fenway anymore.
Ellsbury and Crawford are going to be erasers with their speed.
I can't wait to see where Tito places CC in that lineup.
He can honestly go anywhere from 1 to the 6 hole.
Such a great problem to have there.

AGonz is ahead of schedule with his shoulder too.
Pedi still has some swelling/soreness but is close to 100 percent
Youk said he's 100 percent and so is Ellsbury.

I'm excited.

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 08:20 PM
The real story of this off-season is the pitching. Can Clay Buchholz continue to pitch like a Cy Young candidate? Is Lester going to be able to hold up? How about the old and overpaid guys?

But it is nice not having to worry about the offense this off-season. Pleasant change.

Nalej
02-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Lester has proven he's consistant in my eyes. I have no worries there.
Bucholz is the question mark, I agree, but even if he regresses a bit... he'd still be pitching well.
Beckett worries me, the only thing that makes me feel like there's a chance he returns to form is that he came back BIG TIME after his last sub par season.
Lackey, I have no faith in. I expect him to be the highest paid 4/5 pitcher in the league. Garbage.
Dice-K, he started off the season a dissapointment and then came back in the 2nd half and ended strong. Realistically, I just want him to out pitch Lackey.

JD Drew, speaking of over paid guys, is still hampered by his hamstring (SURPRISE!)
So I expect a lot of Cameron this season... not really an issue since he's a RH bat and that's something this lineup needs anyways

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I still really like JD Drew when he plays, but he doesn't play enough.

I'm still concerned about Lester. He showed some signs of fatigue at the end of last season and it really seems like he's been pitching a lot of innings. Not that I don't think he won't still be really good...but Josh Beckett has left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of pitchers sustaining success.

Nalej
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I still really like JD Drew when he plays, but he doesn't play enough. I'm still concerned about Lester. He showed some signs of fatigue at the end of last season and it really seems like he's been pitching a lot of innings. Not that I don't think he won't still be really good...but Josh Beckett has left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of pitchers sustaining success.

Pretty much sums up why I hate his contract.
One more year, and RF will belong to Riddick/Kalish. Can't wait.

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Kalish I'm excited about....Reddick...well, if somehow devlops even average pitch recognition and patience, we'll talk haha. We all know the job belongs to Ryan Westmorland as soon as he completes his spectacular recovery and surges through the minor leagues anyway :)

proshoota25
02-22-2011, 03:07 PM
souped for the red sox.

excited to see melo in NY.... now we can get our boston vs. new york thing on in basketball....

excited for the draft

bruins made a pretty big trade... lookin good

good time to be a New England sports fan

FlyingElvis
02-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Bruins moves look awesome, though Peverley needs to be good for the price we paid. Wheeler may have been somewhat underwhelming, but he and Stuart are both solid players.

Celtics traded my favorite player. I freakin love Perkins and now he's gone.

Sad panda :`(

nepg
02-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Perk :`(

Perk is a Beast. And he was my favorite Celtic for the last 3-4 years. I'll miss him, but I think this was a great trade for the C's. Kristic and Green will provide the C's with aspects they desperately need both to make a strong playoff push as well as to continue to have success beyond the Big 3.

Green is the player they really have lacked since Posey and need desperately with Pierce and Allen on their way to retirement soon. He can be a really good player in the league and does everything.

I'm pretty perplexed that they couldn't find a way to keep Erden and/or Harangody. Erden's going to be damn good.

Nalej
02-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I feel you on Perk.
While Kristic isn't terrible, we're going to have to up his rebounding game since it's anemic.

Also, I think we lost game 7 because the Lakers had too much size... aka... we missed Perkins.
Perkins is recovering from ACL surgery and has a strained MCL now on the other knee.
Too go along with that, the fact that Perks refused a contract extension added to the fire.

I'm sad to see Erden go too. We need size. Can't depend on the O'Neals.

I love J.Green. He can't shoot three's like Posey but everything else is an upgrade over Posey.
I think he's the eventual replacement to Pierce too.
Rondo and Green are the future but at the same time, important to the team's short term goals.
We need another C still...

Don Vito
02-26-2011, 11:28 PM
I like Jeff Green a lot but losing Perk hurts, there is no way around that. In a few years I feel this will be the right move but it may cost us this year.

descendency
02-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Why are the Celtics relying on two old big men?

Nalej
02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm hoping they got Shaq on ice right now for the sole reason of having a healthy Shaq in the playoffs

descendency
02-28-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm hoping they got Shaq on ice right now for the sole reason of having a healthy Shaq in the playoffs

Why are the Celtics pushing all of their chips in this year? Are the big 3 all going to be due contracts next year?

Nalej
02-28-2011, 08:21 AM
No. I think Garnett is due up though. Could be wrong.
Either way, I just think with the age factor of them all, its pretty much win now.
That's why the Perk move was so puzzling, bc it disrupted chemistry.
I do like Greens versatility though. Another vet C who's a defensive specialist would be nice ala Theo Ratliff

proshoota25
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
troy murphy signs with the celts. this guy will help out during the stretch run. celtics apparently have serious interest in corey brewer. brewer is a tony allen type and can help lock down kobe, wade in playoff series. I really hope we can get him as well, considering he did go to florida :-p..... we have some interest in dan gadzuric but i could care less about him lol

Nalej
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Yea, I could care less about Dan. Do we have space for Brewer on the roster? lol
Seems like we have 489498 people on it already

proshoota25
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Yea, I could care less about Dan. Do we have space for Brewer on the roster? lol
Seems like we have 489498 people on it already

brewer took much more money to sign with dallas. celtics instead have signed sasha pavlovic..... who you may recall played on some of lebron's playoff teams

nepg
03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
The biggest surprise out of all of the Celtics moves is that none of the new white guys are wearing Ainge's #44.

ElectricEye
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I've been such a bad baseball fan this week with all this Bruins excitement(I've come to really enjoy hockey this year, although I don't know much about it) and the draft. Red Sox have things together a little bit now though.

nepg
04-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Bruins "excitement"? No. Anxiety. I'm soooo tired of them drawing the Habs in the playoffs. I'm probably going to be a terrible baseball fan for most of the season. I'm just not able to get into the Red Sox with the way they put their 2011 squad together... Makes me a little sick.

ElectricEye
04-29-2011, 12:35 AM
I really don't get up in arms about baseball players and money. It's whatever. Baseball is basically capitalism...it's not fair, but it's not going to change(not to imply capitalism is bad haha). I really like watching Gonzalez hit.

Nandoss
04-29-2011, 01:36 AM
I really don't get up in arms about baseball players and money. It's whatever. Baseball is basically capitalism...it's not fair, but it's not going to change(not to imply capitalism is bad haha). I really like watching Gonzalez hit.

I would love to see Crawford hit...

ElectricEye
04-29-2011, 09:49 AM
He's doing a little bit better from what I've seen. Put some good swings on the ball lately. He has some mechanical issues right now from what I gather.

Nalej
04-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Yea, CC has been playing much much better as of lately.
His average is still crap but only bc his start to the season was epically terrible
Ellsbury and AGonz are on friggin' fire right now...
We're not where we want to be but we're playing good baseball now.
So that's a plus.
Hopefully Dice-K's injury isn't serious. He's been on fire!

Bring on the Heat! Bring on the Fliers!

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 01:42 PM
So how do you guys feel about the UMass football thing? I'm intrigued, personally. We've had threads on here before about how Boston College will just never really truly take over the area and establish themselves as our college team. I live like ten minutes away from Gillette, so going to some of those games for short money has some appeal to me. It will be interesting to see if they can build a program here.

Nalej
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Haven't heard much about it, honestly.
I'll be rooting for them regardless. Penn State alum or not!

So what's good with Lackey? Besides sucking, I mean.

Where do the Celtics go from now?
We need to trade for D.Howard!!! (pipe dream, I know)
Starting C and a backup SG is what we need IMO

Jvig43
05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
We need to murder Jeff Green is what we need to do. That trade ruined our season, back to back games Green turned it over with second left with the score tied to give the Heat break aways to win it. I ******* hate that guy.

Nandoss
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM

It's awful seeing this former Pawtucket guys like Masterson doing well in other teams and the guys we got in place of them sucking...

C's need to get younger and undo the Perkins trade. Nenad is awful, and we simply dismantled our bench. Jeff Green and Delonte West add nothing from the bench and are not going to be even close to good as starters in the future.

proshoota25
05-12-2011, 06:29 PM
don't hate on jeff green, he doesnt deserve it, especially when the guy put up near 15 ppg on a playoff team out west for the last few years. dude came into a tough situation with much, much less minutes and an offense that revolves around 4 players

danny ainge said on WEEI today he is willing to trade a member of the big 3 if they receive a good, young player in return. also said paul pierce could possibly come off the bench.

if im danny.... I try to trade ray's expiring contract/jeff green/big baby for Rudy ***, who would work so well with Rondo, and is evident that the Grizzles dont need him to be successful in the playoffs

proshoota25
05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
dismiss the big baby comment, hes a free agent

nepg
05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd rather have Jeff Green than Rudy. Green isn't the problem. The problem is that they're old and injured in the front court. Green is the perfect player for the team, but they had to give up Perkins to get him...

nepg
05-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Lackey was always a horrible fit for the Red Sox. I chalked that one up as a failure from they day they signed him.

I don't even remember what they got for Masterson...all I remember is hating it and then having a ****** bullpen last year (oh yeah, V-Mart...still hate hit).

ElectricEye
05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
FWIW, I still really like what Green brings to to the table....as a starter anyway. He obviously just wasn't comfortable here coming off the bench. Interestingly enough, someone crunched the numbers with him playing with the Big 3 or at least two of them, and they were MUCH better.

As far as the future of the team goes; I think it's time to blow the thing up...in a year, anyway. One more year of the Big 3, one more possible playoff run, then we start putting some chips into the Dwight Howard thing.

ElectricEye
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't even remember what they got for Masterson...all I remember is hating it and then having a ****** bullpen last year.

Victor Martinez. It was actually a fairly good trade, as much as I like Masterson and as nice as it would be to have him right now. It's real small sample size for him and he was on the chopping block before this season even too, so it's not like we lost out on a major player for two years. No telling where he would be if he was still with us either, maybe in the bullpen as a second setup guy.

nepg
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Masterson would still be in the bullpen for sure, but that's just the Red Sox for you. Having Martinez just kept them from doing the right thing with catcher and other positions. They keep chasing bats at C rather than just swallowing that 9 spot and getting someone who can anchor the position and keep runners honest. They're so deep, they shouldn't ever worry about that 9-spot because they can pinch-hit for it whenever they need to, but they still keep chasing bats and giving up valuable arms.

ElectricEye
05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Victor Martinez was also brought in to help us attempt to win another World Series, which we were serious contenders for twice due in no small part to his offensive contributions. That's worth a bullpen arm and a 50/50 prospect(Hagadone has been pretty meh and is always hurt). Vic also played close to a .900 OPS for a year and a half catching and was great with the pitching staff(Buchholz still misses him). More than worth it IMO.

They even addressed the future preemptively and brought in a guy to develop to play the position next year, mostly for what he projects to do in terms of managing the game and throwing runners out(Salty has very good defensive tools, but hasn't converted them). The guy they brought in hasn't worked out so well, but at least they went for it and addressed the need.

I'm not losing sleep over that one, personally. I'm still mad at the team going Salty of Russell Martin, but Theo had a weirdest boner for Salty and hopefully he learns from it Lugo style.

Jvig43
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
It's awful seeing this former Pawtucket guys like Masterson doing well in other teams and the guys we got in place of them sucking...

C's need to get younger and undo the Perkins trade. Nenad is awful, and we simply dismantled our bench. Jeff Green and Delonte West add nothing from the bench and are not going to be even close to good as starters in the future.

Jeff Green yes, but Delonte absolutely beasted for us during the Heat series. Idk how anyone could say other wise, he was our energy off the bench and he made Huge pay after play to keep us in it.

Nandoss
05-13-2011, 06:55 AM
I used Masterson only because he is the only name I could remember. The guys we traded aren't doing that well actually, but that wasn't my point. I'm just frustrated that we are not developing our guys anymore. We either ship them out for veterans who are on their way out of the league or they stay in a limbo and fade out without ever having a chance to come to the big show. I mean are you telling me we have no more Pedroia's, Bucholz or Elsburry's on our farm system. And we need a catcher who can be good defensively and also help our pitching.

Now I don't like Green or Delonte coming off the bench, and think they are serviceable, at best good, starters. It was an awful trade for this year and maybe it can prove to be a decent for the future, but for now it simply turned our bench in non-existent. Our guys are already old and you make them have to play 40mins a game. This playoffs loss I put completely on Ainge's back. West and Green are not good coming off the bench, and from the rest only Davis is good enough to be on the team.

ElectricEye
05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
We've got plenty of talent coming down the pipe and have done an excellent job player developing players. Last year, we put out a big league ready stud reliever who just might win the closing job. This year, we're finally seeing the fruit of the long development process of Jed Lowrie. Kalish is waiting in the wings to be a 20+ HR power/good defender with regular playing time in a few years and is a valuable asset in any potential acquisition. Hell, we just brought up the pride of our system, our 21 year old short stop prospect for the future.

That's not even getting into the plethora of talent we have down on the farm that's a few years away and how we basically destroy the draft every single year. We're doing one of the best jobs in the business of player development right now, you just wouldn't know it since we have 6 guys who have played in All Star games under contract and playing fairly well in our lineup and a starting five we've invested both a lot of player development into as well as money. The only "trade for veteran players" we've made in the past two years has been the Gonzalez trade(which was a bargain. One upside A baller and a pitcher with stuff that doesn't project to allow him to continue to dominate as he goes up levels) and then the Vic trade(which again, fine, none of those guys were anything we can't get over). Hell, last year we even managed to do the opposite of what you said and trade Manny Delcarmen for a legitimate pitching prospect.

So yeah, with all due respect, that's a self created illusion that doesn't have any basis in reality. We have the luxury of not having to force up any players or promote aggressively like other organizations due to the kind of spending power we have for the big club. It's true we haven't had a homerun in regards to a prospect in awhile, but that's a both a function of being successful record wise and luck.

Nalej
05-13-2011, 12:18 PM
I like D.West and J.Green on this team. I think with the late season trade and injuries, they never got into a comfy rotation.
Especially Green who wasn't used to coming off the bench.
West was amazing spelling Rondo and Green had his moments.
I still think we need a starting caliber center. How we get one, I'm not sure.
Another shooter, a la JR Smith/Reddick would be nice to have as well.
We would have a back up unit of West/Shooter/Green/Baby/Kristic

Nandoss
05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I never said that there was no talent or that the Red Sox draft badly or even that they don't develop talent well. On the contrary they certainly have one of the best farm systems in the MLB. The thing is, in the past year or two I've seen more prospects going out them being given a chance.

ElectricEye
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
But it's just really been Casey Kelly and Justin Masterson. The rest of the stuff we've traded has been high probability flame outs and most of them have done just that. We're actually extremely cautious about trading prospects, even. I'm amazed we found a way to keep Kalish through to Gonzo deal. I really don't think we've pushed out any real prospects in a trade since...ever really. Maybe the Josh Beckett deal, but that led to a World Series title, so I'll go ahead and say that one was with it.

The only real piece we've lost is Anthony Rizzo, who is currently dominating AAA and will likely get called up to the Padres soon....but in exchange for one of the five best hitters in the game, I can live with that.,

Doc Rivers signs a 5 year extension. I'm really surprised. Pleasantly, though.

Nalej
05-13-2011, 04:47 PM
5 years? Wow, seems pretty long for a guy who's been close to leaving for the past two years now.
I'm down. Get to work on this youth movement we've semi-started already

ElectricEye
05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I doubt this has much to do with youth. Probably has more to do with using Rivers as a bridge to bring in some players in 2013 and start over. Doubt Doc would have signed if it was another "blow it up and maybe go to the lottery" kind of thing.

nepg
05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
It is hard to watch the team shell out ******** amounts of cash for borderline good players line Carl Crawford, though. I have a hard time caring about the team when they pull suit like that. The Gonzalez trade was great, but I'm tired of seeing my team buy half-decent to solid players like Crawford and Lackey for contracts that amount to more than most teams' entire payrolls.

ElectricEye
05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I agree with that much, although more for Lackey than Crawford.

Crawford is starting to hit and show what he can bring to the table after that hardcore slump. I don't agree at all with paying that much money per year for stolen bases and defense(or paying for stolen bases at all), but the team thinks he can hit for power in Fenway, which we are seeing a bit right now.

Lackey was a total **** signing at the time and is even worse now. No idea why they decided that was the best use of their dollars, besides the make the ever so important 'splash'. Not doing much good right now. I feel for the guy and his situation with his wife, but he really never deserved the contract he got or projected to pitch very well in the AL East. Would have been much better off for both parties to let him go pitch for the Mets and in the National League.

Regular metrics can't even quantify how bad Lackey sucks right now, even. His ground ball % is down more than 10% from last year and his K's are down big time as well. So essentially, we have a fly ball pitcher who is getting clobbered right now. H

nepg
05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm hoping the Mets make a run and get desperate so the Sox can dump his ass. It's time to bring Andrew Miller up and for Lackey to go on a 30- or 60-day DL stint.

Nalej
05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I doubt this has much to do with youth. Probably has more to do with using Rivers as a bridge to bring in some players in 2013 and start over. Doubt Doc would have signed if it was another "blow it up and maybe go to the lottery" kind of thing.

Youth movement =/= Blowing it up

They showed that they are too old. Playing 40+ mins/game made them garbage at games end.
Adding some young legs to the post would be heaven sent help

nepg
05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
They have no young bigs and no young shooters. The only young-ish guys worth a crap are Rondo and Green.

descendency
05-13-2011, 06:01 PM

I'm not a basketball fan, but what I've seen over the last few years of the Celtics (and the NBA in general) is that they will need to blow it up soon. I don't understand what they could do to get the pieces to make another championship run.

Shaq (while not expected to be a contributor past this year) is totally done. He has zero left. The other O'Neil center (who's first name is escaping me) is done too.

KG looks done. He may have another season in him as a role player, but he isn't going to carry anything. He totally disappeared in Miami.

Ray Allen is a freak of nature, but he's a spot up shooter. He's not going to carry a team anywhere. He needs other stars around him.

Paul Peirce is... well, sort of borderline. He seemed done at times and others he came alive.

Rondo isn't carrying anything. That kid can't score. There is a lot to love about him, but this is a point scoring league and he doesn't do it.

They lack a C. They lacked quality depth.

To make this worse, they seemed to shoot a low percentage and the Heat will burn you (no pun intended) in up and down basketball. You have to force Miami to play in a half court offense. You can't brick that many shots.

The Perkins trade may have been for a lot of good reasons, but trading younger players and replacing them with aging veterans (like Shaq) is never a good idea. I don't remember what the Cs got, but they basically gave up any hope this group has at a championship.

ElectricEye
05-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Youth movement =/= Blowing it up

Youth movement implies that getting young is the priority. What we did in the Gerald Green/Al Jefferson era was a youth movement. I think what we're going for is a retooling type thing, going after good players ready to contend that are younger than the ones we have right now. Really looks like we're gearing up to cast a lot in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes...whenever it starts.

I'm hoping the Mets make a run and get desperate so the Sox can dump his ass. It's time to bring Andrew Miller up and for Lackey to go on a 30- or 60-day DL stint.
Unfortunately, I doubt he would be taken in the shape he's in right now. We're not even talking Brad Penny National League projection right now, he just flat out sucks. That's not even getting into the fact his contract basically marries us to him.

Miller isn't the answer either, he would get eaten alive in the major leagues as a starter right now, and maybe as a reliever. He's allowed 24 BB's in 30 IP. At that clip, we might be better off living with Lackey. He's got a .197 BABIP to go along with that with average strikeout production...so yeah, that 2 something ERA is very deceiving. He still has a long way to go.

Nalej
05-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Youth movement implies that getting young is the priority. What we did in the Gerald Green/Al Jefferson era was a youth movement. I think what we're going for is a retooling type thing, going after good players ready to contend that are younger than the ones we have right now. Really looks like we're gearing up to cast a lot in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes...whenever it starts.

I think we're arguing over semantics here because I agree with what you just said. I just call that a youth movement. A smart one since we're trying to remain contenders at the same time.

D.Howard? haha... I friggin' wish! Not saying it isn't possible, it's just too good to be true so I doubt it'll happen.
What type of proposal could you see us making to Orlando?
Or do you think we'll pick him up as a FA a year from now?

Jvig43
05-14-2011, 01:39 AM
We are not getting D howard haha.

ElectricEye
05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
It's pretty clear we're going to give it a shot, at least. I'm not sure Doc serves out the entire tenure of that contract otherwise.

Nalej
05-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Ah man, all you did was get my hopes up so I can cry when he goes to the Lakers :(

proshoota25
05-16-2011, 12:22 AM
i will say, i really wish we got harden instead of jeff green...... dudes a beast and can fill it up. apparently thats who we originally coveted in that deal...

and dwight is not coming to boston. mark it down.

descendency
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
The problem for the Cs to get Howard is that he will likely not ever hit FA. So they would have to trade something for him. The question is what can the they trade that would beat out other teams offers?

Nalej
05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
^^^ That's pretty much the issue.
Unless we take J.Green/Kristic/BBaby(sign-n-trade) and some picks away
Two young guys and picks... not very sexy but I really don't know what else they could give up realistically.
Rondo has his limits but I love him as a pg. I don't see any of the Big 3 getting traded either.
Not from the Boston side but I doubt the Orlando Magic want old vets. They're looking for young pieces to grow around

Nalej
05-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Great 2-run game winning double by AGonz. Love this guy.
And... Lackey to 15 day DL. Sweet as well. He sucks.

Nalej
05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.hoopsglobe.com/2011/05/17/is-greg-odens-career-over/

You think we give G.Oden a chance? At this point, why not?

proshoota25
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
def worth the chance in my opinion. sign him to a two year deal for cheap money, and see how it goes. he has played somewhat well when hes been healthy, going to give you rebounding and defense. really couldnt ask for more

nepg
05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah. Definitely give Oden a shot. He's a talented young big...the C's need talented young bigs... How can they not go after that possibility?

Nalej
05-23-2011, 08:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=6556219

An article about who we may target in the off-season.
Outside of Landry and JR Smith, everyone is either a bad fit or an unrealistic signing (Dalembert)

Half game back in the AL East :)

I don't watch much hockey but I still root for the Bruins who are 2-2 againt TB right now.
Anyone up to speed with the series?

Nalej
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
BoSox are on ******* fire. I'm a lil scared that these injuries are going to catch up to us sooner or later.
Dice-K (won't matter if A.Miller looks good), Lowrie (shoulder), Bucholz (back), Youk (illness), Crawford (hamstring)...
Big Papi and A-Gonz are going bananas right now though. Reminds me of the Papi/ManRam days

proshoota25
06-18-2011, 01:42 PM
BoSox are on ******* fire. I'm a lil scared that these injuries are going to catch up to us sooner or later.
Dice-K (won't matter if A.Miller looks good), Lowrie (shoulder), Bucholz (back), Youk (illness), Crawford (hamstring)...
Big Papi and A-Gonz are going bananas right now though. Reminds me of the Papi/ManRam days

i guess the good counterargument is thank god its happening now, and not in september and october.. even with all these injuries, we are still playing insane ball..... we are gunna be pretty scary once everyone is completely healthy

and to the celts article above ^^ i dont really see any of those guys as fits. i think danny is only going to want to give out one year deals because he is going to start the complete rebuilding next year. all of the guys mentioned are prolly gunna want multiyear deals

Nalej
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Celtics: I'll admit, I like the idea of having JR coming off the bench scoring 20ppg
Though I'm sure it's not likely to happen.

BoSox: Yea, I guess it's better for us to go through the injury bug early on. I wish Jed could play one whole season though. He's a special talent. He's like JD Drew minus the ridiculous contract.

A-Gonz: MVP
J.Beckett: Cy Young

I'm going to the BoSox vs Phillies game on the 28th in Philly. Should be a lot of fun!
I'm hopeing for a Beckett/Lester vs R.Holliday/C.Lee match up.
I saw Oswalt pitch last year in Philly (vs Giants). Watching Bucholz pitch would be nice too.
It's just the whole 10-win pitcher (Lester... soon) or Beckett (lowest ERA) vs Cy Young winner... too good to pass up if possible

edit: Also, heard on ESPN... Boston is the first town to win a championship in the four main sports in a ten year period.

CITY OF CHAMPIONS!!

TACKLE
06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
CITY OF CHAMPIONS!!

what about the 90 years in which the sox won nothing, 40 years in which the patriots of foxboro won anything and the 40 year span in which the bruins won nothing. yes they have had a terrific run in last ten years and i'm not overlooking that. But they've only had one franchise have consistent success over the course of time. i'm not trying to come off as a hater but i just think declaring it the "city of champions" is an overreaction as history would indicate otherwise.