PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa

ToldLikeItIs
05-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Here's some good film on him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=dj1BO_b-lkQ&feature=sub

bored of education
05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
canton bound.

wicket
05-22-2010, 03:46 PM
canton bound.

has canton got an arena football team?

bored of education
05-22-2010, 03:53 PM
has canton got an arena football team?

a UFL farm league

TitanHope
05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Boe's just upset that he's KC bound.

Ferentz and Pioli don't just play golf together, but they go out for drinks afterwards! Ferentz is practically a part of KC's FO.

ToldLikeItIs
05-22-2010, 03:57 PM
How about you two pukes watch the video and make a productive, key word, productive, comment on it separately?

Thanks.

TitanHope
05-22-2010, 04:14 PM
How about you two pukes watch the video and make a productive, key word, productive, comment on it separately?

Thanks.

I would've used different background music for it, honestly. Looks well done though, and the video quality is outstanding (we have threads for these videos though, I believe).

Iowa runs a pro-style offense, right? It's like that alone and moderate production will get him taken above these spread/option-style QB's who put up better numbers. He's gonna get taken higher than most realize because of that experience and his size. I haven't really watched him enough to see his mechanics and arm strength, and I can't really tell that from a highlight clip that's just gonna show his best throws of his career.

wicket
05-22-2010, 04:16 PM
somewhat subpar armstrength, dont like his release, to much interceptions but tough competitor, but i knew that already

BeerBaron
05-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Boe's just upset that he's KC bound.

Ferentz and Pioli don't just play golf together, but they go out for drinks afterwards! Ferentz is practically a part of KC's FO.

That Baluga at #5 hype really worked out, eh?

TimD
05-22-2010, 05:34 PM
America!!!

ToldLikeItIs
05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm definitely not seeing that sub par arm strength.

Foosballphan
05-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I would've enjoyed music that is slightly less terrible. I still feel more or less the same as I did last year.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34321
"What he does well-
I think he has one of the best play action fakes I've seen. He throws well on the run (actually better than in the pocket). Seems to brush off mistakes and start the next series with a positive attitude (good leader and well liked by teammates). Shows good touch on deep passes. Shifty and stronger than he looks in the pocket and seems to avoid the rush fairly well (good pocket presence).

Needs to get better at-
Getting further into his progressions (see the Illinois game), he occasionally locked onto a receiver about 5-7 times last season where he threw it directly at 2-4 defenders (aargh). Needs to get more comfortable and more accurate throwing from the pocket. Could use some more zip on his passes when appropriate.

Overall I expect him to improve on his decision making, accuracy, and understanding of the offense. I'm not sure how strong his arm really is and I think that might be his main weakness after this year. I think the way he looks forward and doesn't seem to beat himself up too much over mistakes will help him continue to get better and avoid becoming a head case. Tom Brady is a tall order but he can be very good I think."

lowlife
05-23-2010, 09:18 AM
That video cracked me up.

Tough kid with a gunslinger's mentality.
Good on the move, but his decision-making can be terrible at times.
Favre-esque in that way, but needs a lot of work to be considered in the first 3 rounds.

I do expect a big jump from him this season though.

ToldLikeItIs
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
He threw four balls over fifty yards that I counted in that video..

ToldLikeItIs
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm absolutely lying. I counted one over fifty, and four over 45.

YAYareaRB
05-23-2010, 09:57 AM
He's throws on the run really well.

EvilNixon
05-23-2010, 10:23 AM
That throw at 2:50 was damn good.

iowatreat54
05-23-2010, 10:53 AM
He's throws on the run really well.

Throwing on the run he is awesome. Throwing standing still...not so much. It's really weird.

I think he still locks on to receivers too much and does try to force throws/make bad decisions because of that (i.e. he would decide to throw to Moeaki no matter what and lock on to him/force the throw even if it wasn't there). He also doesn't put a lot of zip on the ball, but he is able to place balls where they need to be because of that. As for arm strength, I don't think he has great arm strength by any means, but it's not bad. He can make long throws without a problem, but it's not like he's going to be able to launch a rocket 70 yards.

Overall, there's really nothing he is amazing at and nothing he's awful at in terms of physical attributes. His biggest strength is his attitude/mentality, and his biggest weakness is his decision making. Somehow, they cancel eachother out enough to allow him to win a lot of games.

wonderbredd24
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I'd like to see Stanzi produce more... Iowa didn't put away anyone last year... not even Arkansas State. I know Iowa isn't exactly loaded at receiver or anything, but if Stanzi's supposed to be taken seriously, do something

Stanzi's season was Krenzel-esque except Krenzel did more

ToldLikeItIs
05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Iowa's WR corp will arguably be the best we've ever had next year.

McNutt, and Koulianos are sure-fire 3rd rounders at worst.

Keenan Davis is 6'3 220 with a 4.47 and 42" vert.

Colin Sandeman is a SR. with plenty of experience.

StickSkills
05-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Seriously, that music isn't doing to for me...

iowatreat54
05-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Just gonna throw this out there, but everyone does realize why that song was picked for Stanzi's video, right? It's not because it's supposed to be serious/a good song...

ImBrotherCain
05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
God i feel like such an idiot. I thought Stanzi was a Senior last year i actually had to look it up to make sure.

herkyhawkeye
05-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd like to see Stanzi produce more... Iowa didn't put away anyone last year... not even Arkansas State. I know Iowa isn't exactly loaded at receiver or anything, but if Stanzi's supposed to be taken seriously, do something

Stanzi's season was Krenzel-esque except Krenzel did more

The song is hulk hogans entry song. Its used as a joke to the USA #1 speech he had at the end of the orange bowl. Really patriotic, His america f^#k yeah attitude is a running joke on the team.

Wonderbredd, thats just how Iowa is. They are a ball control offense and Ferentz is VERY conservative when taking a lead(watching Iowas defense, you can kind of understand it). A lot of people dont understand how IOwa pulls out wins or are "lucky". The key to beating Iowa is outexecuting them. Iowa's stats wont wow you, but Iowas defense will not make mistakes. You have to beat them. As long as Iowas defense holds, they only need the offense to put up a few touchdowns. Its frustrating at times but it makes sense if you see them week after week.

I could see Iowa opening it up this year though. We have three pretty good running backs and a stacked WR corps. There are talks of putting Davis in the slot this year, and that will be a matchup nightmare with three large wide receivers in DJK,McNutt, and Davis.

I honestly think Stanzi has all the goods. He has a very quick release, can throw on the run, has a solid arm and can make some awesome passes. His problem though is a lack of consistency issue, not a lack of talent issue. Depending on his season this year, He could jump up pretty high in the draft. I think there are very few QBs who have the mental strength that he has. Needs to stop locking into receivers though. I really think his run at 1:05 in that video says it all about his leadership. That was a handoff to Adam Robinson on a third down at a pivotal part of the game. He took off with it when he saw that opening.

RaiderNation
05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
From that video its clear he is at his best on the playaction and out of the pocket. I like the use of his pumpfakes which isnt used at much now. Still needs to be more consistant

herkyhawkeye
05-23-2010, 11:16 PM
From that video its clear he is at his best on the playaction and out of the pocket. I like the use of his pumpfakes which isnt used at much now. Still needs to be more consistant

I think his problem in the pocket is his stance. Watching his video, I cant help but feel he doesnt step into his throws and that can cause the ball to loft a little bit. I think hes almost forced to do so on the run and it makes him look better on the run. He will not be drafted to a team that will need him to play right away. Hes somewhat of a project. I could see a team like say the Patriots, Saints,Packers,etc. draft him who can afford to sit him for a few years to refine his skills.

iowatreat54
05-23-2010, 11:19 PM
I think his problem in the pocket is his stance. Watching his video, I cant help but feel he doesnt step into his throws and that can cause the ball to loft a little bit. I think hes almost forced to do so on the run and it makes him look better on the run. He will not be drafted to a team that will need him to play right away. Hes somewhat of a project. I could see a team like say the Patriots, Saints,Packers,etc. draft him who can afford to sit him for a few years to refine his skills.

That's the exact same thing I see. When he's throwing while motionless, he only uses his arm and doesn't get his body behind it/step into his throws like at all. You can even see on some of his throws where his left foot is in the air instead of being planted after release.

wonderbredd24
05-23-2010, 11:21 PM
The song is hulk hogans entry song. Its used as a joke to the USA #1 speech he had at the end of the orange bowl. Really patriotic, His america f^#k yeah attitude is a running joke on the team.

Wonderbredd, thats just how Iowa is. They are a ball control offense and Ferentz is VERY conservative when taking a lead(watching Iowas defense, you can kind of understand it). A lot of people dont understand how IOwa pulls out wins or are "lucky". The key to beating Iowa is outexecuting them. Iowa's stats wont wow you, but Iowas defense will not make mistakes. You have to beat them. As long as Iowas defense holds, they only need the offense to put up a few touchdowns. Its frustrating at times but it makes sense if you see them week after week.

I could see Iowa opening it up this year though. We have three pretty good running backs and a stacked WR corps. There are talks of putting Davis in the slot this year, and that will be a matchup nightmare with three large wide receivers in DJK,McNutt, and Davis.

I honestly think Stanzi has all the goods. He has a very quick release, can throw on the run, has a solid arm and can make some awesome passes. His problem though is a lack of consistency issue, not a lack of talent issue. Depending on his season this year, He could jump up pretty high in the draft. I think there are very few QBs who have the mental strength that he has. Needs to stop locking into receivers though. I really think his run at 1:05 in that video says it all about his leadership. That was a handoff to Adam Robinson on a third down at a pivotal part of the game. He took off with it when he saw that opening.
If it's a conservative, ball control offense, Stanzi had 15 INTs and only completed 56.3% of his passes last season... neither of which is good. He also took 23 sacks behind Told's line of hall of famers, so he must be holding onto the ball too long.

If you go by what Told is calling "film", the kid just slings it downfield regardless of the coverage and almost never goes away from his primary receiver. He also rarely seems to throw with good balance and footwork, although he has the arm to get away with it, but it does help to explain some of his inconsistency. He also threw the ball 304 times in 11 games, so it's really not all that conservative. I think Ferentz would have liked to be, but he just didn't have the running backs to do that, so he was forced to throw more than he would have liked.

I think he's very comparable to Jonathan Crompton... a ton of physical ability and maybe the light goes on for him, but if he's drafted, it'll be purely on those physical characteristics and someone hoping to coach him up like Crompton. Stanzi's probably in the top 3 quarterbacks in the Big Ten right now, but when you consider the signal callers in the Big Ten, that's not saying a whole lot.

wonderbredd24
05-23-2010, 11:23 PM

Somewhat of a project? He is the prototype project quarterback. 6'4" 230lbs with a big arm. He's going to be a 3rd string quarterback or stashed on a practice squad somewhere.

No NFL team is going to put themselves in a situation where Stanzi is one play away from seeing the field next year. There's just no way.

iowatreat54
05-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Yea, I think by "conservative" it is meant that the passing plays/routes are very simplistic and repetitive in Iowa's offense, not that they don't throw a lot.

I agree on the footwork, inconsistency, and tendency to lock onto one target, as well as overall decision making skills. All of the above is one reason I get really angry that Iowa doesn't believe in having a QB coach, especially when we had the opportunity to bring back Chuck Long to be a QB coach for the upcoming season. I don't understand it at all.

wonderbredd24
05-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Yea, I think by "conservative" it is meant that the passing plays/routes are very simplistic and repetitive in Iowa's offense, not that they don't throw a lot.

I agree on the footwork, inconsistency, and tendency to lock onto one target, as well as overall decision making skills. All of the above is one reason I get really angry that Iowa doesn't believe in having a QB coach, especially when we had the opportunity to bring back Chuck Long to be a QB coach for the upcoming season. I don't understand it at all.
This is the **** I will never understand. Iowa has the budget they have and no quarterback coach? Seriously? It's as idiotic as Jim Tressel not hiring an offensive coordinator at Ohio State. No doubt he could get someone fantastic, but he is so retardedly stubborn about it and at times, it's easy to see the weaknesses of it on the field.

iowatreat54
05-23-2010, 11:32 PM
This is the **** I will never understand. Iowa has the budget they have and no quarterback coach? Seriously? It's as idiotic as Jim Tressel not hiring an offensive coordinator at Ohio State. No doubt he could get someone fantastic, but he is so retardedly stubborn about it and at times, it's easy to see the weaknesses of it on the field.

Yea, we have our OC who Kirk is very loyal to, and believes that he does a good enough job. But like you said, you can easily see things that can be improved, and even things that don't improve as they should. It just baffles me.

I mean, how can you have a guy who is focused entirely on the offense as a whole, be able to sit down with the leader of said offense individually and work on improving things a QB should be able to improve with proper coaching, like footwork or decision making. Especially when said OC really doesn't specialize in QBs.

Mr. Offseason
05-23-2010, 11:40 PM

I was going to say this same thing. Iowa seems to run tons of slants, outs and simple routes and it's baffling that teams don't figure out a way to take that simple stuff away. I swear the majority of Stanzi's completions and yards against Wisconsin came on slants and quick out routes. Yet they wouldn't get up on the WR's and jam to disrupt the offense's rhythm for whatever reason. I just didn't get it.

I am not a big Stanzi fan though. He isn't a bad QB, and he has some fight and toughness in him which is good to see. He has a pretty good arm, but he has some mechanical issues like his footwork which has been mentioned and obviously his decision making could be better. He needs to learn to go through his progressions better also, as it has been mentioned that he regularly stares one guy down and forces the ball to him.

He can improve on these things, but I'm not sure what I think of him as a NFL QB right now.

herkyhawkeye
05-24-2010, 12:29 AM
1. Ferentz is the real OC. He calls the plays. KOK is really the QBs coach but hes not a very good one. Ferentz is loyal to a fault. Ive talked to Edgar Cervantes(former starting FB) a handful of times, and if it was up to KOK, we would run 3-4 WR sets the majority of the time. KOK gets an unfair rep for the playcalling. He gets treated very fairly(and he should get the grief) for his QB development.

2. Stanzi is a project QB. His shortcomings though are not deal breakers. He has the size and arm that the NFL covets. Hes shown the ability to make throws on the run and has pretty good pocket awareness(just needs to step into his throws). Its all mechanical problems that are correctable. Id be intrigued with him if I was drafting for a NFL team. IF he could go to a QB guru, such as Norm Chow, who can have him on the bench 2-3 years and help him with his mechanics, he would be a great gamble, especially for being a 5th-6th rounder which is best case scenario at this point going into his senior year. His leadership and mental capabilities are some of the best you will find at QB. Dude just wins and his teammates love him. Dude has the goods and just needs that extra tutelage to really showcase his talent.

3. Stanzi did not have much of a running game last year(freshmen running backs/9th best rush attack in conference). His Oline individually, looked very good but played musical chairs all season long as a unit. Ton of injuries. Iowas offensive line was not very good last year regardless of what Told has said. His accuracy and # of INTs were definitely affected here. Defenses played the pass game all year long and that can be tough on a QB. People bring up the 4 INTs in the 3rd quarter of the Indiana game but fail to mention the strong winds toward the north endzone that forced the Indiana qb to throw 3 INTs in the 4th quarter.Also, honestly, if the coaches didnt keep calling this one stupid out route every game, he wouldnt have the INTs he did. He simply could not make that throw especially when he zeroed in on the wide receiver. This guy is not afraid to take the throw.

I dont think Stanzi is a great QB at this point. Dudes a rollercoaster. He is a great QB prospect. Give him a qb guru, and watch out. Even with his inconsistencies, I like most hawkeyes love to see him on the field. I think he will definitely have a better year. One of his best attributes IMO is his strive to improve. He will tell anyone that wants to listen that his performance at times last year were unacceptable.

ToldLikeItIs
05-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Wonderbredd, you sound angry.

Stanzi, as a pro quarterback prospect, is, at worst, #6 in next year's draft.

He's a proven winner from a pro-style offense (something that should not be discounted), with a strong arm, decent mobility, NFL + size, an understanding of the position, and he's a true LEADER.

FUNBUNCHER
05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
I think Stanzi sticks in the NFL, as a backup who eventually works his way up the depth chart.

Iowa looks like a 'special' team on offense when he's on the field, throws well on the run and is all kinds of clutch IMO.

wonderbredd24
05-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Wonderbredd, you sound angry.

Stanzi, as a pro quarterback prospect, is, at worst, #6 in next year's draft.

He's a proven winner from a pro-style offense (something that should not be discounted), with a strong arm, decent mobility, NFL + size, an understanding of the position, and he's a true LEADER.
#6 out of Seniors or everyone?

I can't see him doing either, but that's still potentially a big difference.

1. Jake Locker, Washington
2. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas*
3. Andrew Luck, Stanford**
4. Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M
5. Christian Ponder, Florida State
6. Nathan Ederle, Idaho
7. Pat Devlin, Delaware
8. Nick Foles, Arizona*
9. Case Keenum, Houston
10. Greg McElroy, Alabama

There's 10 guys I think will be ahead of Stanzi, assuming they all declare.

Stanzi is a project with physical tools and maybe some leadership qualities, but his footwork, consistency, accuracy, decision making, and progressions all need improvement.

I'd be shocked if Stanzi was drafted before round 5.

MizzouBig12
05-24-2010, 10:12 AM

6. Nathan Ederle, Idaho
7. Pat Devlin, Delaware
8. Nick Foles, Arizona*
9. Case Keenum, Houston
10. Greg McElroy, Alabama.
Based on your rating of Mallett, it puts your QB evaluation skills in question. Mallett only has one talent, the ability to throw the ball a mile. His only strength is that defenders aren't used to pursuing receivers 50 yards downfield while the ball is yet to be thrown. His short/mid range accuracy is pathetic, and he can't evade even the slowest d-lineman. He's the white Jamarcus Russell.

YAYareaRB
05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Based on your rating of Mallett, it puts your QB evaluation skills in question. Mallett only has one talent, the ability to throw the ball a mile. His only strength is that defenders aren't used to pursuing receivers 50 yards downfield while the ball is yet to be thrown. His short/mid range accuracy is pathetic, and he can't evade even the slowest d-lineman. He's the white Jamarcus Russell.

I'm pretty sure Mallet is a consensus top 2 QB.

iowatreat54
05-24-2010, 12:17 PM

6. Nathan Ederle, Idaho
7. Pat Devlin, Delaware
8. Nick Foles, Arizona*
9. Case Keenum, Houston
10. Greg McElroy, Alabama

There's 10 guys I think will be ahead of Stanzi, assuming they all declare.

Stanzi is a project with physical tools and maybe some leadership qualities, but his footwork, consistency, accuracy, decision making, and progressions all need improvement.

I'd be shocked if Stanzi was drafted before round 5.

I agree on all the above except for accuracy. While his completion % was 56%, this had a good amount to do with his INTs. I won't go as far as to say all his INTs were completely unrelated to his accuracy, but really none that I can think of were completely horrible throws...meaning he had a guy open and threw too short/long/wide/etc. They were usually good throws, just bad decisions. If not for being picked, the throws usually were right on target.

He threw at 59% as a sophomore. Take away his INTs and put them as completions in 09, and he's at 61%. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not dumb enough to believe that all his INTs should have been completions. Take half of them and put them as completions and he's at 59%. Point being, if you look at his INTs, accuracy really wasn't the problem. I'd be willing to bet a good amount of his incompletions weren't due in large to accuracy. I think his accuracy is pretty good, but his decisions taint that.

MenOfTroy
10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Through the season so far, Stanzi has 19 TD and 2 INT with 68.5% completion and 9.76 yards per attempt. Huge improvement as a passer from last season. Pro-style offense and prototypical size. How do people feel about him as an NFL prospect?

King Carls 5 Year Plan
10-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I love Stanzi as a prospect. He has everything you look for in a young player to come in and learn the NFL with a clipboard for a few years. Then, when it's his turn, he gets out their and makes people believe. He is a perfect QB for the current Chiefs offense. Big guy to see over the OLine. Strong arm and can make all the pro throws. His play action fake is top notch. Ints dropped and his comp % went up. He his smart at the line and doesn't show fear when the pocket collapses. I would love to see the Chiefs draft Stanzi in the 3rd or 4th round and have a "QB of the Future" on the roster. Like I said, give him a few years of clipboard time and I believe he will be a very good QB in the NFL.

TonyGfortheTD
10-30-2010, 08:51 PM
That Baluga at #5 hype really worked out, eh?

lol

To be fair, the connection did lead to Pioli selecting Tony Moeaki. So far it has paid off pretty well.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Through the season so far, Stanzi has 19 TD and 2 INT with 68.5% completion and 9.76 yards per attempt. Huge improvement as a passer from last season. Pro-style offense and prototypical size. How do people feel about him as an NFL prospect?

Going to end up with better stats than Jimmy Clausen's junior year in a "pro style" (not that I believe either are) offense

Where is the Mel Kiper bandwagon for Stanzi? Does he need to get Gary Wichard as his agent before Kiper starts shilling for him?

wonderbredd24
10-30-2010, 09:07 PM
For all the tools and such that Stanzi has, he has never scared anyone other than maybe Iowa fan.

Something just seems to be missing with him.

herkyhawkeye
10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
For all the tools and such that Stanzi has, he has never scared anyone other than maybe Iowa fan.

Something just seems to be missing with him.

1900 yards 70% completion and a 19 to 2 TD/INT ratio. Scaring a lot more than iowa fans. 25-6 as a starter. Without question the best mentally prepared qb in the draft. Prototypical size with a good arm and great release.

I could see a number of teams interested in him. Hes #2 in the country for passer efficiency and he went 11/15 for 190 yards and 3 tds today

wonderbredd24
10-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Without question the best mentally prepared qb in the draft.

Based on what?

Malaka
10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, what the hell do you mean by mentally prepared? lol

herkyhawkeye
10-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah, what the hell do you mean by mentally prepared? lol

His mental game is his best asset imo.

The guy is clutch and has led multiple comebacks. There are numerous games from 08 and 09 where he drove his offense down the field when he needed to. The guy is a leader and his demeanor makes everyone around him better.

The guy doesnt dwell on mistakes. He bounces back from mistakes. He doesnt get rattled. Kirk Cousins for MSU got rattled today if you watched the game and hes a very good qb. Stanzi would have never been in that position. He had the highest 4th qtr passer efficiency rating in the country last year when Iowa trailed in 5 games during the 4th quarter. The guy is a gamer and he is a film rat. He has the focus needed to play in the league.

If you dont agree with my opinion, thats fine its only an opinion but the guy is a gamer and I dont see any other qb in this coming draft that is more mentally prepared for the nfl than Stanzi.

umphrey
10-31-2010, 12:07 AM
I kind of see Stanzi getting picked in the second round, even though the pick will raise some eyebrows and get labeled a reach. Interesting that Iowa fans were down on him. Do you still feel the same way or are you fans now?

Unbiased
10-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Here he is talking about film preparation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_F3Dc0YckM

I like how some people in this thread refuse to acknowledge Stanzi is having a terrific season. No one's allowed to improve from their junior season I guess. 2nd in the country in passing efficiency. Only behind Kellen Moore.

nepg
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Ya...but he's a douche.

steelernation77
10-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Here he is talking about film preparation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_F3Dc0YckM

I like how some people in this thread refuse to acknowledge Stanzi is having a terrific season. No one's allowed to improve from their junior season I guess. 2nd in the country in passing efficiency. Only behind Kellen Moore.

Ha guess who was in his alcohol and your college experience class. And to the poster above, he actually seems like a pretty decent guy.

iowatreat54
10-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Ya...but he's a douche.

Surely you aren't talking about Stanzi...He's probably the furthest thing from a douche.

He still needs to work on his deep ball. He gets way too much air under it and seems to just loft balls up there. There has been handfuls of instances over the last 2 years where if he hit a WR in stride down field, it would have been an easy TD, but he floated it.

His mobility is super under rated, though. He isn't the fleetest of foot, but he's got above average running ability for the type of QB he is.

herkyhawkeye
10-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Ya...but he's a douche.

He is incredibly patriotic and he is a regular visitor to the University of Iowa Childrens Hospital. He is far from a douche.

Incredibly dedicated as well. Over the summer he watched 6 hours of film every day.

Im a big homer so take my opinion fwiw but I truly believe hes gonna make some team very happy come April. Hes on pace to have a better year than Brad Banks did for Iowa in 2002 and Banks was the heisman runner up,AP player of the year, and ncaa passer efficiency leader.

Sniper
10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Surely you aren't talking about Stanzi...He's probably the furthest thing from a douche.

nepg must hate America.

ToldLikeItIs
10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Update: 19 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 68% completion, 180 qb rating, 1900 yards.

Will Ricky Stanzi play himself into the first round?

ElectricEye
10-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Update: 19 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 68% completion, 180 qb rating, 1900 yards.

Will Ricky Stanzi play himself into the first round?

I doubt the first round, but it would not surprise me if he ended up surpassing Nathan Enderle in the rankings and get into the second round. I'm really liking what he's doing right now. Playing like a completely different quarterback. He's always been talented, but he's playing with control and poise this year. Doesn't even seem like the same guy.

HawkeyeFan
11-01-2010, 02:15 AM
First Round Told? GTFO. I'm going to start ignoring you. He's not a 1st RD QB. He'll be a midround guy and be coached into a Good NFL QB.

ToldLikeItIs
11-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Ok?

He has size, production, pedigree, intangibles, pocket presence, footwork, ability to throw on the run, underrated mobility.

It isn't un realistic, at all. The following quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round since 2002: David Carr, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Beth Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman.

The attributes, and numbers, speak for themselves, and he's more pro ready than half of that list was.

romo4prez415
11-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm a Stanzi fan as well. I have him rated higher than Ryan Mallet who is going to be a bust. Stanzi has all the attributes of a nfl starting qb and has proven he has the competitiveness known as IT to succeed in the big spots with his 4th quarter comebacks.

binary
11-03-2010, 06:04 AM
i like this guy.

Shane P. Hallam
11-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Ok?

He has size, production, pedigree, intangibles, pocket presence, footwork, ability to throw on the run, underrated mobility.

It isn't un realistic, at all. The following quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round since 2002: David Carr, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Beth Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman.

The attributes, and numbers, speak for themselves, and he's more pro ready than half of that list was.

I like Stanzi a lot, but he is not a first round pick. He still has some major work to do on his footwork and throwing motion. Toss in the durability concerns, and 2nd round is likely the ceiling unless he has an unreal offseason.

iowatreat54
11-03-2010, 09:29 AM
I like Stanzi a lot, but he is not a first round pick. He still has some major work to do on his footwork and throwing motion. Toss in the durability concerns, and 2nd round is likely the ceiling unless he has an unreal offseason.

I agree with you on his footwork, I think his throwing motion doesn't need a ton of work but can be improved (shouldn't really hurt his grade), but I'm curious what durability concerns you see in him? I believe he's only been hurt once, and it was on the sack vs. NW where his ankle bent the wrong way. Other than that, I don't ever remember him having any other issues?

FUNBUNCHER
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone have a changed opinion about Stanzi's value in this draft compared to the current top QB prospects??

If Newton/Mallett/Locker/Gabbert are rated as 1st rounders, IMO Stanzi should be right there in the mix.

He's way better than Gabbert, is mobile, good feel for the pocket and has a solid arm.

49erNation85
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
He would be a perfect spot on the 49ers as a back up while they bring in some one else for a stop gap . Could be a good option for Hargbaugh to teach into the WCO system and give him time develop.

Milk Man
02-17-2011, 01:19 AM
I've only seen a couple of Iowa games during his time, but the more I read on this guy the more I like. He seems to have that "it factor" mentally that can't be taught. He's got the mentality, work ethic, leadership, and pocket presence you look for. None of his physical attributes wow you but they are good enough. Of all the mid round QB's he's the one I think could potentially develop into a franchise QB down the road if put in the right situation. Would love for the 49ers to grab him in the 2nd or 3rd.

ellsy82
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
He's the perfect game manager of this draft. I don't know if he'll ever turn into a guy like Montana or even Orton, but the guy likes to win. He has that competitive fire that I love to see in a quarterback.

Having said just that, I don't think he'll be a franchise QB. Maybe a Kurt Warner in years to come, but nobody that a team is going to pay $10 Mill for. If he's put into the right scheme, with a great defense, he'll do well. If he's put into a situation where he needs to score 20 points a game by passing, he'll be out of the league in a couple years.

Caulibflower
02-17-2011, 02:09 AM
I've got him as my number 4 QB this year. I give him the slight edge over the Kaepernick/Dalton/Ponder(...Mallett) second-tier.

Iamcanadian
02-17-2011, 06:48 AM
He is a mid rounder IMO. His release is way too slow for the NFL and his arm doesn't get him ranked among the top 5 QB prospects this year. I have him around the 6-8 range and that puts him out of any chance at round 2.

bitonti
02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
I've got him as my number 4 QB this year. I give him the slight edge over the Kaepernick/Dalton/Ponder(...Mallett) second-tier.

+1 I agree with that, he's a possible starter that will be drafted at backup prices.

ToldLikeItIs
02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
He's just so involved with the position. He's only going to get better. His work ethic is second to none and I think he'll score well on the Wonderlic as well. Really well.

Heisman
02-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Hey so i don't know a ton about this guy, but from what i've watched i've really liked... a lot. To the degree of passable first rounder. I'm obviously no pro scout so i'm curious what are this guys weaknesses? It seems to me like most if not all of his questions were answered by his senior year, and combined with his work ethic and the rare pro style offense he is coming out of, i'm wondering what i'm missing?

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2011, 01:57 AM
He's severely underrated IMO. I fully expect Stanzi to develop into a winning starter in the NFL sooner rather than later.

He just impresses me as a guy who can run a pro offense at a high level and flat out make plays.

Watch Harbaugh target Stanzi in the 2nd/3rd and make the playoffs.

Shane P. Hallam
02-20-2011, 02:00 AM
I was a big fan of Stanzi's until the Senior Bowl. He struggles to make accurate throws to the right side of the field, is pretty slow in his progressions. Technique isn't all there like I thought either. Long strides dropping back, etc. Still think he could develop, but a lot to do

TACKLE
02-20-2011, 03:04 AM
People seem to really like the depth in this QB class, idk why? I really don't see any of the mid round QB's with legitimate starting potential.

Texas Homer
02-20-2011, 07:42 AM
I like the QB depth in the draft this season. I just think that players like Dalton and Stanzi can be starters in the league.

CLong4Heisman
02-20-2011, 11:27 AM
I think he's going to get picked in the 4th by the Patriots.

DenverFan1974
02-21-2011, 01:59 AM
He seems boring but that doesn't mean he isn't good. This is the type of guy that gets drafted in the 4th, sits for 4 years, maybe back-ups at two different teams and finally gets his shot because of injury and becomes a good to great NFL QB. He has the tools but isnt' exceptional at any one or number of things but he's good in all the ways he needs to be. He doesn't have that obvious "it" factor which quite honestly might end up making him the most successful QB of this class. I put him and Dalton in the same category. Right team, time in system and who knows, they could become the next Tom Brady.

FUNBUNCHER
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Can someone compare/contrast Schaub versus Ricky Stanzi???

I'm sort of going back and forth that Stanzi might be THE most underrated QB prospect in this draft and I would take him after Kaepernick but before Dalton and McElroy., (mostly a height issue over the last two).

bitonti
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
stanzi is great... until he gets in these funks where it all comes apart. He's got starter potential physically but something mentally is holding him back from being truly great.

Big Bird
04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Physically, he is good enough to start at the next level. Nothing special physically, but certainly good enough.

My only real problem with him is he doesn't properly transfer his weight while throwing. Tries to throw too much with his upper body and doesn't use his legs well enough and transition into his throws.

I think he ends up in the 3rd Round. Most teams have a 3rd Round grade on him, though some reports have said higher. Still, I think he ends up in the 3rd Round to a team like the 49ers, Dolphins, or Patriots.

Iamcanadian
04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
stanzi is great... until he gets in these funks where it all comes apart. He's got starter potential physically but something mentally is holding him back from being truly great.

This pretty well sums up his ratings. Simply comes apart late in games, the opposite of what you want to see.

bitonti
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
This pretty well sums up his ratings. Simply comes apart late in games, the opposite of what you want to see.

he even came apart in one of the Senior Bowl practices. I think it was a tuesday session. started off great, had people talking and then he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

ToldLikeItIs
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't know about that. He's arguably the most clutch quarterback Iowa has ever had.

iowatreat54
04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Yea, everyone seems to have short term memories, or just didn't look past the past season.

Stanzi was probably the most clutch QB in the nation in 2009, leading multiple game winning drives in the 4th quarter and something ridiculous like tripled his production in the 4th quarter.

Obviously, he took a step back in that regard this past season, but to paint broadly saying he comes apart late in games is not very accurate. Stanzi's mentality and mental toughness is not his problem.

I would actually guess that the reason he struggled so much in 2010 late in games was because he focused too much on not making mistakes and playing conservative, which you saw all year and one of the reasons his production increased as much as it did.

In 2009, he was basically a gun slinger with little to no reservations. He threw a ton of picks, but never let them get him down or collapse from them. He took risks and didn't care about how his stats looked as long as it led to a W. He was pretty much the opposite in 2010.

49erNation85
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Well looks the 49ers and company had him do some private work outs this week.I would not mind him if he over come some of these small little issues.We could grab him in the 4th.