PDA

View Full Version : Jared Crick

dannyz
05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
The DT for Nebraska hes good overshadowed by Suh but now will get a chance to prove himself could play DT or 3-4 DE in the NFL what do you think

RaiderNation
05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I like him as a 3-4 DE right now. As of now he is a late 1st rounder but he can help himself alot if he can have a season like Suh did

Thumper
05-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Adam Carriker clone.

dannyz
05-23-2010, 11:18 PM
I think Carriker got put into the wrong system but now in Washington if he can play DE he could do good and I think Crick will be better than him

holt_bruce81
05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Lets see what he can do without Suh.

Scotty D
05-23-2010, 11:34 PM
The DT for Nebraska hes good overshadowed by Suh but now will get a chance to prove himself could play DT or 3-4 DE in the NFL what do you think

Do you think he might of benefited from Suh?

ElectricEye
05-24-2010, 12:17 AM

Yeah, this. He could have just been a sidekick. Gotta see what he does this year with teams looking to stop him.

Duffman57
05-24-2010, 12:27 AM

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Wait to show what he can do without Mr. All Universe playing across from him.

dannyz
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
its crazy because on one play Suh and Crick were running aftrer the Quarterback and Crick was running faster than Suh

Aloysius
05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Just put this together:

Jared Crick vs. Baylor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RQULw_jizI)

7RQULw_jizI

wonderbredd24
05-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Crick is a tremendous player in his own right and he's going to show that this year. This is the game where he had 5 sacks, right? Greatest game of his life and that left guard probably wanted to hang himself.

Crick beats him every which way.

Aloysius
05-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah. You watch that and get a good feel for why some thought Crick would declare as a redshirt Sophomore. He possesses ideal length for a 3-4 end and is very athletic. Had he declared, he might have come off the board before Jared Odrick; I think he'll eventually grade out as a better prospect.

He'll have a more difficult challenge this fall playing without Suh, but he'll also benefit from a weaker d-tackle class. Plus, some of the better DTs in next year's class don't project well as 5 techs (Austin, Paea, Nevis), which could work to Crick's advantage.

dannyz
05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
He just dominated Baylor I think Nebraska should move him around more on the D-Line so he gets a feel for playing two positions

cajuncorey
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
he is impressive... i was expecting another bum off the street that people usually praise because they are homers on this forum... but this guy is legit.

Duffman57
05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm not goint to say anything about him until i see him without suh. Right now i'm not ready to call him anything more than a late 2nd rounder if that and the video shows why....

He only got anything more than single teamed two or three times, and even those were just guys chipping and getting to LB. He can then beat people since he has good quickness. Next year he's gonna get more attention, and i think he's gonna struggle because of it IMO.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Just put this together:

Jared Crick vs. Baylor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RQULw_jizI)

7RQULw_jizI

Obviously this was Crick's best game...

13 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 1 PD

He wasn't doing this every week, but it is a great example of his ability to play all aspects of the game.

dannyz
05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
hes got the size and speed if he can have a year like Suh did he could go top 15 depending on the teams picking in that area

Duffman57
05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
hes got the size and speed if he can have a year like Suh did he could go top 15 depending on the teams picking in that area

LOL...

If anyone could have a season like Suh did last year, they could easily be a top 10 pick. The problem is that nobody is that tallented. There just isn't anyone in this class that is going to have a 90 tackle season at DT.

The fact is that we just have to wait and see how he is going to play without Suh there.

tjsunstein
06-08-2010, 10:33 AM
A lot of single teams in that Baylor game. A lot. Almost every play. He beat his guy every time so he did what he was suppose to. I think Crick could add some wieght to his frame when projecting him at the next level. There were a couple plays where he would get chipped and instantly be out of position. I'm in the same boat as everyone else in terms that he has to prove that his production was not a result of Suh. If he does that, he could be a widely sought after 3-4 end in next year's draft.

BeerBaron
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Well, here's the thing about single teams vs. double teams.

Very, very, very, very few people can consistently beat double teams. Almost no one can beat two players at the same time regularly....it really bugs me when reading a prospect analysis to see "struggles to beat double teams" as a weakness. Well NO ****! It's damn hard and even the very best struggle at it.

Suh is one of the few who could take on double teams and still perform well...and even when he wasn't breaking the double team, it helped the rest of the defense by giving them one on one matchups.

No doubt in my mind that Crick experiences a decrease in his production next year...but we shouldn't instantly assume it to mean that he's regressed or is a worse player for it. Anyone would have looked amazing playing with Suh, and now I expect some other younger Nebraska players to step up and look good with Crick being the center of the offense's attention.

I think he's a mid first rounder come draft time.

wonderbredd24
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Very, very, very, very few people can consistently beat double teams. Almost no one can beat two players at the same time regularly....it really bugs me when reading a prospect analysis to see "struggles to beat double teams" as a weakness. Well NO ****! It's damn hard and even the very best struggle at it.

Suh is one of the few who could take on double teams and still perform well...and even when he wasn't breaking the double team, it helped the rest of the defense by giving them one on one matchups.

No doubt in my mind that Crick experiences a decrease in his production next year...but we shouldn't instantly assume it to mean that he's regressed or is a worse player for it. Anyone would have looked amazing playing with Suh, and now I expect some other younger Nebraska players to step up and look good with Crick being the center of the offense's attention.

I think he's a mid first rounder come draft time.
As for Suh's double teams... yes, he beat double teams and deserves credit for that, but I'm curious if anyone could assemble a sadder conference for interior linemen than the Big XII last year. The Missouri interior line was criminally bad for instance.

I really like Crick though and I think he's going to produce this year. I had the chance to ask Bo Pelini about him when he was in Columbus and he doesn't think Crick is far from being almost as good as Suh

tjsunstein
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM

I know what you mean but that isn't the case for Crick. He was the beneficiary of Suh last season. Undoubtedly still talented, and handled his single teams comfortably.

Crick faced just about zero adversity last year. Not only would I like to see how he handles his doubles physically, he could add some more weight and I think he needs to, but also mentally. As much as we treat these prospects like physical specimens, a lot of the game is mental. He has an arsenal of moves one on one but how he can apply that to doubles is pretty important to me. I want to see if he can hold a double team and create space for others just as much as I want to see him beat it. I think it's an underrated and under appreciated part of the game.

descendency
06-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Crick and Suh worked well together. Suh was more polished in some aspects of the game that allowed him to clean up what Crick started. I liked Suh a lot, but thought he got WAY too much praise for being on a very good defense. Crick will be a great contributer especially if he can get a solid DT (not great, but solid) beside him.

Ozzy
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
He is obviously one of the best defensive tackles in college right now. Sure he has things to improve on but based on the other talent around the country at that position, he is right up there with any of them.

As for being helped by playing with Suh, obviously that is the case. However rarely does a talented player become an absolute bust after a star he used to play besides leaves for the draft.

Only case that might happen is if a linebacker that cannot get off blocks loses a great defensive lineman infront of him. Or if a suspect running back loses some great offensive lineman and without them he cannot run the ball because he was using their blocking completely.

A good defensive lineman is a good defensive lineman. I doubt Crick is going to be some huge bust this year. He still has talent around him though clearly in Allen and Steinkuhler so it is not like he is the only player on the defensive line. So one could argue that Allen and Steinkuhler could be greatly improved off last year and that will compensate for the loss of Suh a little bit, or at least help.

P.S. Just a little reminder of the Suh hype around this time last year by yours truly. ;o) Odd thing is he actually surpassed all those preseason expectations and was even better than anyone could have thought.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34575&highlight=nebraska

BeerBaron
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM
As for being helped by playing with Suh, obviously that is the case. However rarely does a talented player become an absolute bust after a star he used to play besides leaves for the draft.

I don't know if I'd say that.....it definitely happens to quite a few guys. A good example, at least in the pros and probably in college too, is when a good #2 receiver leaves the team he's on to become a #1 WR somewhere else only to fail miserably.....Peerless Price is a name that pops to my mind. I'm sure you could think of others...

I don't believe that will be the case for Crick though as I pointed out in my post above.

Ozzy
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
BeerBaron I don't know if I'd say that.....it definitely happens to quite a few guys. A good example, at least in the pros and probably in college too, is when a good #2 receiver leaves the team he's on to become a #1 WR somewhere else only to fail miserably.....Peerless Price is a name that pops to my mind. I'm sure you could think of others...Price was the #2 receiver on Tennessee? What to who Marcus Nash? Wasn't Price the #1 on Tennessee? Anyway, he had an ok career, not sure he underachieved, did not reach his potential but not sure in this case he is a good example.

A receiver might make a quarterback look better than he is but I doubt, let us say Michael Floyd is going to greatly effected in his lifetime football development with Golden Tate going to the NFL. Might get harder coverage against him but not sure it will make him worse.

But yes there is exceptions to all the rules. But for what I was saying, let us take Anthony Thomas on Michigan, he was clearly far more successful in college because of who was blocking for him. If he had a different offensive line, like say the one Michigan has now, he might not have even got drafted, maybe?

And for linebackers let us take Tony Gilbert on Georgia, pretty solid linebacker in college, did not get drafted high but clearly having Stroud and Seymour ahead of him kept players off and made him look better than he was, if not for them he probably would have never got drafted.

Lesser extent, same could be said for Boss Bailey, he had good defensive lineman keeping blocks off him, and in the NFL, that is what he has trouble with, getting off blocks at times.

But yes there are exceptions to every single rule and it is all dependent on the personnel. Just giving examples but clearly based on situation there can be other positional examples. And in the end, if a kid can play he can play, and if a loss of a star hurts him then clearly he was over hyped based on potential and or production that was not consistent throughout.

will99890
06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Ozzy, I can't speak for someone else, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about Price in the pros going from Buffalo to Atlanta, not when he was at Tenn. Horrible move that was. I think the Housh situation in Seattle will end up having a similar result. Great number 2's going to a team without a legitimate offense around them to become a #1 target is a perfect set-up for a let down, especially given Housh's age and the shelf life of recievers not named Rice or Brown.

As far as Crick, the Carriker comparisons make too much sense. He def looks like a solid NFL player from the times I saw the Huskers last year. I say he ends up mid-late 2nd. Can't wait to see how he handles more pressure and double teams this year.

BeerBaron
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Ozzy, I can't speak for someone else, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about Price in the pros going from Buffalo to Atlanta, not when he was at Tenn. Horrible move that was. I think the Housh situation in Seattle will end up having a similar result. Great number 2's going to a team without a legitimate offense around them to become a #1 target is a perfect set-up for a let down, especially given Housh's age and the shelf life of recievers not named Rice or Brown.

Price in the pros is exactly who I was talking about....

princefielder28
06-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Crick did have a huge game against Baylor but when I watch footage of him outside of that game I don't come away overly impressed and certainly question whether or not he's a first round talent at this point. Like several have mentioned before this, it'll be a great test for him with Suh gone.