PDA

View Full Version : 32 Grades in 32 Days: New England Patriots

D-Unit
05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
*This is an interactive activity that will allow us to get a forum wide's opinion on each team's draft. Please feel free to comment on your decision.

PRE-DRAFT NEEDS (according to Scott): #1 - CB| #2 - QB | #3 - OL

DRAFT PICKS:

Round 1, Pick 27 (27) (From Cowboys) Devin McCourty CB 5'11" 193 Rutgers

Round 2, Pick 10 (42) (From Bears through Buccaneers and Raiders) Rob Gronkowski TE 6'6" 264 Arizona

Round 2, Pick 21 (53) Jermaine Cunningham DE 6'3" 266 Florida

Round 2, Pick 30 (62) (From Vikings through Texans) Brandon Spikes LB 6'3" 249 Florida

Round 3, Pick 26 (90) (From Cowboys) Taylor Price WR 6'0" 204 Ohio

Round 4, Pick 15 (113) (From 49ers through Broncos) Aaron Hernandez TE 6'2" 245 Florida

Round 5, Pick 19 (150) (From Texans) Zoltan Mesko P 6'4" 240 Michigan

Round 6, Pick 36 (205) (Compensatory selection) Ted Larsen OL 6'2" 304 North Carolina State

Round 7, Pick 1 (208) (From Rams through Redskins) Thomas Welch OL 6'6" 307 Vanderbilt

Round 7, Pick 40 (247) (Compensatory selection) Brandon Deaderick DE 6'4" 314 Alabama 4.6

Round 7, Pick 41 (248) (Compensatory selection) Kade Weston DT 6'5" 317 Georgia

Round 7, Pick 43 (250) (Compensatory selection) Zac Robinson QB 6'2" 214 Oklahoma State

TRADES:

Patriots receive:
Seventh-round pick (No. 208):
Thomas Welch

Redskins receive:
Seventh-round pick (No. 229):
Erik Cook
Seventh-round pick (No. 231):
Selvish Capers

Panthers receive:
Third-round pick (No. 89):
Armanti Edwards

Patriots receive:
2011 second-round pick

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 62):
Brandon Spikes
Fifth-round pick (No. 150):
Zoltan Mesko

Texans receive:
Second-round pick (No. 58):
Ben Tate

Cardinals receive:
Second-round pick (No. 47):
Daryl Washington

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 58):
Traded to Texans
Third-round pick (No. 89):
Traded to Panthers

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 42):
Rob Gronkowski

Raiders receive:
Second-round pick (No. 44):
Lamarr Houston
Sixth-round pick (No. 190):
Travis Goethel

Broncos receive:
First-round pick (No. 22):
Demaryius Thomas

Patriots receive:
First-round pick (No. 24):
Traded to Cowboys
Fourth-round pick (No. 113):
Aaron Hernandez

yourfavestoner
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I love this draft so much. Especially the Spikes pick. He just became Belichick's new Mike Vrabel.

Michigan
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Great value on all of their picks, not to mention they got the best player in the draft in the fifth round. :)

prock
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't forget they got the 6th best prospect in the entire draft in the 4th round!

I give this draft an A, I liked it a lot.

diabsoule
05-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I really like all of their picks, except maybe Hernandez. They received great value on all of them though.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Sadly i give them an A...sigh...and they have a lot of draft picks going into next year too.

FlyingElvis
05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
No OLB or TE on the needs list is quite an oversight. Overall, I love the value on all the picks except Cunningham. He needs to pan out and he also needs to show at least flashes this year for this draft to get an A from me.

I voted B but it's definitely a B+ due to the additional 2nd next year.

Zooollllllttaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!!!

Texas Homer
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not a Patriots fan. I voted (A).

Razor
05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I voted B. I was, and still am, very disappointed that we only took one OLB. Crable really needs to step up this year, although I seriously doubt that he will. OLB will be the biggest need next year, and we had several opportunities to pick Kindle. Spikes is my favourite pick this year, he's going to be a beast and start in week one I think.

Don Vito
05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I was concerned with the McCourty pick to start it but it ended up working out great for us, I love our draft. Great mix of guys at positions of need, a lot of them will play early too. A few guys like T. Price have some talent and can sit and learn for a while, great talent and value in this class. Gronkowski will be a monster and I can't wait to see what Cunningham and Spikes do.

Adding an additional second next year was huge, I give us an high B/low A which gets bumped up to an A because I'm a homer. Like I said the McCourty pick was a little questionable in the first but he has the potential to be a stud here and we hit a lot of other needs with talented players.

bam bam
05-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Don't forget they got the 6th best prospect in the entire draft in the 4th round!

I am thinking about dealing crack. Since you obviously know where to get some, I'm gonna need to get in touch with you and get a number to call.

ramsfan2005813
05-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I think they did a nice job addressing corner, tight end, and linebacker (though cunningham in the 2nd is a little questionable especially with a DE/OLB transition). However, where is the running back. I know they have a crowded backfield with Morris, Taylor, Maroney and Faulk, but three of them are 33+, and the other has only flashes. RB by committee seems to be a trend and they say they don't want another back, but at some point they have to be judged for constantly passing on that back when their running game is inconsistent at best.

Brent
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Zac Robinson is a draft crush of mine. I like that they could get him as late as the 7th.

marshallb
05-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I'd give it an A-. Very, very good value with all of the picks. I'm a big fan of McCourty, so I probably like that pick a little more than I should.

prock
05-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I am thinking about dealing crack. Since you obviously know where to get some, I'm gonna need to get in touch with you and get a number to call.

I obviously don't think that he is the 6th best prospect. Making fun of this scrub.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPs-Top-100-prospects.html

yourfavestoner
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I obviously don't think that he is the 6th best prospect. Making fun of this scrub.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPs-Top-100-prospects.html

Other than Hernandez being that high, I actually really, really like those rankings. Moreso than any other rankings I saw in internetland.

umphrey
05-27-2010, 06:18 PM
B
Good, could have been better with all the ammo they had though. Where are they going to play Cunningham, DE or OLB? Have to assume DE, don't see any way he could drop weight and get enough speed to play OLB.

yourfavestoner
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
B
Good, could have been better with all the ammo they had though. Where are they going to play Cunningham, DE or OLB? Have to assume DE, don't see any way he could drop weight and get enough speed to play OLB.

Huh? Cunningham is 6'3 265. He's the perfect size to play OLB.

Bigburt63
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
B

He's been taking reps at ROLB in the rookie mini-camp and OTA's. He has the "prototypical Belichick OLB Build".

descendency
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Scott was on drugs when he wrote those team needs. OLB and DE were clearly #1 and 2. Clearly. QB shouldn't even be considered at this point. A backup QB is not a #2 need for any team.

I give them an A after looking at it for a while. I don't love the players, but I think they will be good enough to make the team and improve positions of need (OLB, P, CB, etc)

Rosebud
05-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I want to see them add another OLB, DE and RB, but they've done a great job rebuilding that D. The DL is still beastly, the secondary is incredibly young and talented, I like their ILBs and Cunningham should end up a quality starter, but they're still a pass rusher away from being beastly again.

LizardState
05-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Voted A. Drafted 12 players, & it would surprise no one when all 12 make the roster, big turnover in NE lately.

Or maybe Bellichick will keep all his draftees to reinforce his draft genius image <sarcasm>.

McCourty is worth his weight in gold after his scorcher 40 time, & the 2 Brandons from the SEC, Spikes & Deaderick, will surprise some Patriots fans. With a faster younger defnse the Pats s/b right back in the hunt & contest the Jets for the division. I disagree that a backup QB is not a #2 need, the Pats remember when Brady went down in Wk. 1 & well aware of Kassel in KC now, still kind of doubt Zac Robinson will be that backup though. Watch Mesko will win the punting job too

ElectricEye
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
It's a A if Cunningham turns out well. He's probably penciled in as the starter at OLB already unless Crable finally decides he wants to see the field. Disappointed we passed on Hughes and a few other guys, but none of them were gross, bad passes we've seen in the past few years. Deadrick is a guy I wanted in the third round instead of Price and we ended up with him in the seventh. Can't complain about that at all.

descendency
05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
When Philly went up to get Brandon Graham, I got scared Jerry Hughes would go a lot higher than we would go... but Belichick let him go.

SenorGato
05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Aaron Hernandez in the 4th was a steal. I wasn't a huge fan of Hernandez, but the guy is easily a early 2nd value in a different draft. He's going to be a nice H-back/TE.

Mr.Regular
05-28-2010, 12:09 AM
I was torn between B and C.
I really don't like the value on Cunningham or Spikes, nor do I like them as prospects to begin with that much. I also am not a big fan of Taylor Price or Aaron Hernandez.
I like the McCourty pick the more I think about it, though over Kyle Wilson was a little confusing (though for the record I do like McCourty). Gronkowski seems like a nice player for them, though I don't know about them double dipping at TE...Id rather see them invest more at OLB or the DL. For the most part I don't like a lot of the guys they drafted...exceptions being Zac Robinson and Brandon Deaderick...like those guys a lot.

This was a C for me in the end. Maybe my expectations were too high, cause the Pats have had some great drafts in the past, but in the end I like, but don't love, the first round pick, and after that they drafted some prospects I'm not really fans of. This class does have great potential though, it'll be fun to see how it plays out.

Smooth Criminal
05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I like this one alot. One of the few drafts thats going to get an A from me.

Abaddon
05-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Really not seeing how Spikes was a "great value" where they got him.

If McCourty turns out to be a strong starting CB, it'll be hard to knock the pick. I wouldn't have done it, but hey.

I knew they'd go TE early, and likely more than once. I think they're finally set at the position. Hernandez proved to be one of the stupider players in the draft. But, in Rd4, gambling on upside is a pretty good gamble.

Did not see Cunningham going that high. Considering who they passed on in Rd1, I hope he pans out. Well, no. That's a lie. F' the Patriots.

RealityCheck
05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I'll give us a B.

If we drafted someone we actually needed in the first (Bryant, Kindle, Odrick), this would have been the sickest draft in history.

Wait, who am I lying to... I love you, Devin.

However, it's not enough for an A. We haven't filled up the DE issue, unless Deaderick lives up to his school's hype, and we waited too long for a QB, when we could have easily had Skelton in the 4th.

Still... Love the TEs and the Gators.

gouldo
06-03-2010, 05:30 AM
hate the Pats, but it was a very very good draft. I'd give it a B plus. And as a Phins fan, that hurts,

nepg
06-09-2010, 08:33 AM
What are the people saying they needed to draft a QB early smoking? None of the QBs graded out as an upgrade over Hoyer. Anyone they brought in was going to start out as 3rd on the depth chart.

I didn't feel DE was a massive need, but a position they needed to add bodies to at some point in the draft...which they did with both Deadrick and Weston.

RB was a need, but they were never in a spot where it was a good pick for them over the players they drafted. There weren't many situations where they could have drafted someone that would make the team over Taylor, Morris, Maroney, Faulk, or BJGE. I was fine with them passing on RB (though I did want Gerhart).

The only part of the draft I was really dissappointed in was the lack of aggressiveness in addressing the OL...but I was really happy with the Larsen pick.

The key to this draft are the picks that were clearly the Patriots picks...where they went out and attacked the draft. McCourtey, Gronkowski, Cunningham, and Price all fall into this category.

yourfavestoner
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
What are the people saying they needed to draft a QB early smoking? None of the QBs graded out as an upgrade over Hoyer. Anyone they brought in was going to start out as 3rd on the depth chart.

I didn't feel DE was a massive need, but a position they needed to add bodies to at some point in the draft...which they did with both Deadrick and Weston.

RB was a need, but they were never in a spot where it was a good pick for them over the players they drafted. There weren't many situations where they could have drafted someone that would make the team over Taylor, Morris, Maroney, Faulk, or BJGE. I was fine with them passing on RB (though I did want Gerhart).

The only part of the draft I was really dissappointed in was the lack of aggressiveness in addressing the OL...but I was really happy with the Larsen pick.

The key to this draft are the picks that were clearly the Patriots picks...where they went out and attacked the draft. McCourtey, Gronkowski, Cunningham, and Price all fall into this category.

If Fred Taylor stays healthy (I know, right?) he'll be a 1000 yard back for you guys.