PDA

View Full Version : 32 Grades in 32 Days: New Orleans Saints

D-Unit
05-30-2010, 03:01 PM
*This is an interactive activity that will allow us to get a forum wide's opinion on each team's draft. Please feel free to comment on your decision.

PRE-DRAFT NEEDS (according to Scott): #1 - CB| #2 - QB | #3 - OL

DRAFT PICKS:

Round 1, Pick 32 (32) Patrick Robinson CB 5'11" 190 Florida State

Round 2, Pick 32 (64) Charles Brown OT 6'5" 303 Southern Cal

Round 3, Pick 31 (95) Jimmy Graham TE 6'6" 260 Miami

Round 4, Pick 25 (123) (From Ravens through Cardinals) Al Woods DT 6'4" 309 LSU

Round 5, Pick 27 (158) (From Cowboys through Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, and Jaguars) Matt Tennant C 6'5" 300 Boston College

Round 7, Pick 32 (239) Sean Canfield QB 6'4" 223 Oregon State

TRADES:

Jaguars receive:
2011 fourth-round pick

Saints receive:
Fifth-round pick (No. 158):
Matt Tennant

Cardinals receive:
Fourth-round pick (No. 130):
O'Brien Schofield
Sixth-round pick (No. 201):
Jorrick Calvin

Saints receive:
Fourth-round pick (No. 123):
Al Woods

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 62):
Brandon Spikes
Fifth-round pick (No. 150):
Zoltan Mesko

Texans receive:
Second-round pick (No. 58):
Ben Tate

Cardinals receive:
Second-round pick (No. 47):
Daryl Washington

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 58):
Traded to Texans
Third-round pick (No. 89):
Traded to Panthers

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 42):
Rob Gronkowski

Raiders receive:
Second-round pick (No. 44):
Lamarr Houston
Sixth-round pick (No. 190):
Travis Goethel

Broncos receive:
First-round pick (No. 22):
Demaryius Thomas

Patriots receive:
First-round pick (No. 24):
Traded to Cowboys
Fourth-round pick (No. 113):
Aaron Hernandez

wicket
05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
still C, since ive been saying a C- since the draft, I was tempted to go D but the value in the mid rounds was to good to warrant a D, first round pick is still pretty painfull though

prock
05-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Tennant was a steal. Brown is good value at a position of little or no need. PatRob is average at best. Did not like this draft very much at all.

LonghornsLegend
05-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I kinda like Patrick Robinson more then most, I heard from alot of different places that he was a legit 1st round talent at CB and arguably one of the most talented CB's in the draft but he has some issues with the playbook, pretty much all the mental aspect.

With Malcom Jenkins moving to FS as he should, it opens the door for another corner. Still, it's easy to see how that pick was a head scratcher, my guess is that the 2 or 3 guys they wanted were already taken at that point.

I like the rest of the draft though, Jimmy Graham is a perfect fit and when he develops he'll be a beast. Al Woods is a great developmental pick and can develop into a very good pair with Ellis. Charles Brown could also be a starting LT, just would have to hope they can get something in return for Jamaal Brown.

I think it was between a B - and C+, I'll give it a B though since I can't pick.

Mr.Regular
05-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Im not a Patrick Robinson fan, but I absolutely love Charles Brown. If you flip-flopped those guys, then this draft would make a lot more sense value wise IMO. Graham, Tennant, and Woods are all solid mid round guys.
Im going B. Didn't like the first round pick, but I think they got one of, if not the, best natural pass protector in the draft late in round 2..that makes up for it IMO...and their mid round guys are all good value at needs.
Biggest criticism is lack of OLB....whats up with that?

wicket
05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Im not a Patrick Robinson fan, but I absolutely love Charles Brown. If you flip-flopped those guys, then this draft would make a lot more sense value wise IMO. Graham, Tennant, and Woods are all solid mid round guys.
Im going B. Didn't like the first round pick, but I think they got one of, if not the, best natural pass protector in the draft late in round 2..that makes up for it IMO...and their mid round guys are all good value at needs.
Biggest criticism is lack of OLB....whats up with that?

the staff just doesnt rate linebackers very highly, theyve come out and said so. In the 5 drafts that Payton+Loomis were in control the saints have drafted:
1 QB
2 RB
4 WR
1 TE
3 OT
3 OG
1 C
3 DT
1 DE
2 LB (1 4th rounder and 1 7th rounder)
6 CB
2 S
1 K
1 P

even though linebacker was prolly the biggest need in 4 of those 5 drafts, Payton and Loomis just dont like spending high picks on the defensive front 7

But back on topic, I know the saints have a good roster and stuf but imo the draft should make you better and when you have a qb situatino with brees who is on the top of his game at the moment but isnt likely to play till he is as old as favre or anything the draft should make a team better relatively quickly whilst the saints draft may be rewarding but that will be like 5 years down the road

SaintsMan
05-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Brees has already said that he would like to play another 10 years.

I think this draft is a B as I definitely see Brown, Tennant and Graham as starters in a few years.

Rosebud
05-30-2010, 07:15 PM
PRob is incredibly talented, but he's a moron. I see DeAngelo Hall 2.0 when I watch Robinson. They've got a good team so they can take this risk, but I still don't like it. Although I'm going to sound like a hypocrite when I like the JPP pick a lot more than I do this one. But I really don't like PRob's character. I think he's going to get cocky and continue to make the major mistakes that have plagued his career.

Not a fan of Charles Brown, he's too weak and poor as a run blocker. Being undersized for a LT isn't a big problem if a guy's tough and a good technical run blocker like Beatty and Brick were, but Brown's just not good as a run blocker at all. As a pass blocker he's got quick feet, but he's an over-rated natural pass blocker. He won't play for NO for a long time so they could definitely develop him into a good starter eventually, but I don't like this pick too much.

Graham's the first pick I like. I love Shockey and always will just because he's a ******* warrior, but he's lost too much of his athleticism to injuries and is too much of an injury concern. Getting a huge upside guy to develop behind him is a very good decision and Graham certainly has monster upside if he can learn from Shockey and have that fire rub off on him.

Woods another solid pick. I would rather have seen him go in the 5th round, but griping about mid round reaches is silly unless the guy you grab wasn't draft worthy. He's got a lot of potential and if the light has finally come on for him he could end up a 10 year starter next to Ellis. This is a good gamble at this point in the draft.

Matt Tennant is my favorite pick for the Saints. I wanted him to be a giant in the 4th round so badly, I love his toughness, quickness and technical prowess. Haven't focused on the Saints blocking scheme enough to know how well he fits, but I love this kid and think he's a long term starter who'll really excel at managing that line and pulling. This is the best pick of their draft.

Who cares about a 7th round developmental QB, it's not a bad or a good pick, it's a 7th rounder.

Abaddon
05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Had to go D. Robinson's bust potential is just too high for that pick. Nevermind the value they left on the board.

Doesn't look like Jammal Brown is going anywhere. Bushrod is still there. Charles Brown may not be as good as either, and can't play anywhere but LT. Looks very much like a wasted pick. Again, looking at who was still on the board, this pick was just bad.

The end of Rd3 might be a little high for Graham, but you can at least see the value in the move.

Woods and Tennant were solid late round picks and could both turn out to be decent depth.

marshallb
05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Had to go D. Robinson's bust potential is just too high for that pick. Nevermind the value they left on the board.

Doesn't look like Jammal Brown is going anywhere. Bushrod is still there. Charles Brown may not be as good as either, and can't play anywhere but LT. Looks very much like a wasted pick. Again, looking at who was still on the board, this pick was just bad.

The end of Rd3 might be a little high for Graham, but you can at least see the value in the move.

Woods and Tennant were solid late round picks and could both turn out to be decent depth.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't care for the first 3 picks at all, but the Woods and Tennant picks I did like, but they were only 4th and 5th rounders and weren't extreme values there, and Canfield is, well, at best gonna be a backup QB for Brees. The Woods and Tennant picks weren't enough to raise it above a D.

SenorGato
05-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I like Robinson, Tennant was an absolute steal that late, and the guys in between are risks they can take with a nice deal of upside.

This was one of my favorite drafts when it happened...Why would teams let an athletic BC lineman fall to the 5th? That has dumb written all over it.

SaintsMan
05-31-2010, 04:48 PM

Jammal Brown will be be traded and Bushrod is average at best, though he could improve since last season was his first year starting. Charles Brown did make sense and was great value at the end of the 2nd.

Flyboy
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a strong feeling that Patrick Robinson is going to be looked upon our first round pick in 2007 being Robert Meachem. He was not seen as a "need" at the time (we were 'stacked' at WR according to most) and had plenty of questions coming out. Three season later, he's finally showing why we drafted him. A lot of people thought Robert Meachem has tons of boom or bust potential too. With Malcolm Jenkins moving to FS, it is definitely not as bad of a pick as most are making it out to be.

Flyboy
05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Jammal Brown will be be traded and Bushrod is average at best, though he could improve since last season was his first year starting. Charles Brown did make sense and was great value at the end of the 2nd.

Bingo. We got a potential starting LT at the end of the first round. And with how Jahri Evans & Carl Nicks has worked out for us lately, I'll trust our scouting department when grading OLs.

bam bam
05-31-2010, 05:20 PM
I kinda like Patrick Robinson more then most, I heard from alot of different places that he was a legit 1st round talent at CB and arguably one of the most talented CB's in the draft but he has some issues with the playbook, pretty much all the mental aspect.

If he cannot figure out a playbook in four years at Flordia State, what makes the Saints think he will be able to figure out an NFL playbook, especially given the high turnover of defensive coaching regimes/schemes in the NFL?

LonghornsLegend
05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
If he cannot figure out a playbook in four years at Flordia State, what makes the Saints think he will be able to figure out an NFL playbook, especially given the high turnover of defensive coaching regimes/schemes in the NFL?

I'm pretty sure he figured out the playbook at FSU, otherwise it be kinda tough to be a starter don't you think? I heard people saying some of the same stuff about Michael Oher, stuff like this always gets overblown at draft time.

TACKLE
05-31-2010, 09:21 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the Saints draft overall but Matt Tennant in the 5th was easily on of the best picks in the draft.

yourfavestoner
05-31-2010, 09:28 PM
A, I think this was one of the best drafts in the league.

Patrick Robinson is a fantastic talent who can learn at nickle to start off. Malcom Jenkins slides to FS for a year to learn behind Sharper and you've got an absolute beast secondary in a year or two.

I'm not a Charles Brown fan, but he's got a ton of upside (especially on a team that throws so much) and gives them flexibility and a wealth at one of the most important positions in the league.

Jimmy Graham is a good guy to develop behind Shockey. Matt Tennant is absolute beast - great value there as well.

Short-sighted, "needs" people will see this draft and hate it. I think it's got the potential to be an absolute blockbuster in three-four years.

RaiderNation
05-31-2010, 09:33 PM
I like all the picks after the 1st round. To high for Robinson with the value that was still on the board

Rosebud
05-31-2010, 09:45 PM
A, I think this was one of the best drafts in the league.

Patrick Robinson is a fantastic talent who can learn at nickle to start off. Malcom Jenkins slides to FS for a year to learn behind Sharper and you've got an absolute beast secondary in a year or two.

I'm not a Charles Brown fan, but he's got a ton of upside (especially on a team that throws so much) and gives them flexibility and a wealth at one of the most important positions in the league.

Jimmy Graham is a good guy to develop behind Shockey. Matt Tennant is absolute beast - great value there as well.

Short-sighted, "needs" people will see this draft and hate it. I think it's got the potential to be an absolute blockbuster in three-four years.

That's an unfair characterization. I don't like this draft not because of "needs" but because I don't think Robinson will ever be a good starter and he reminds me too much of DeAngelo Hall, meanwhile Brown is a fine athlete but he's weak, soft and an atrocious run blocker. I don't like those picks not because they don't fill needs but because I don't think they drafted good players.

yourfavestoner
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
That's an unfair characterization. I don't like this draft not because of "needs" but because I don't think Robinson will ever be a good starter and he reminds me too much of DeAngelo Hall, meanwhile Brown is a fine athlete but he's weak, soft and an atrocious run blocker. I don't like those picks not because they don't fill needs but because I don't think they drafted good players.

I'm not a big fan of Robinson or Brown, either. I wasn't through the entire draft period. They've both got incredible upside, though and won't have to be baptized by fire and give the Saints a ton of depth and leverage at two of the league's most important positions.

Rosebud
06-01-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm not a big fan of Robinson or Brown, either. I wasn't through the entire draft period. They've both got incredible upside, though and won't have to be baptized by fire and give the Saints a ton of depth and leverage at two of the league's most important positions.

But if you don't think either one will amount to much then they don't.

FlyingElvis
06-01-2010, 09:21 AM
It definitely has the look of a boom or bust draft. I like all of the selections based on talent and upside.

It's a B that I think will be a home run draft in retrospect.

K Train
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Robinson wont be anything more than a 4th corner this year which is perfect....all the talent in the world he just needs to sit for a year imo, i hated the jenkins pick (said he was a FS, which now he is) so this makes sense.

Brown is what a passing offense needs, al woods has been a man crush of mine for years, graham is a perfect fit being a purely receiving TE and tennant is scrappy and great value there.

i give them an A, i really like what they did, this draft could end up being terrible but i doubt it

CJSchneider
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I gave our draft this year a C. I will agree that for where we drafted our people we drafted great talent and for an excellent value. We did miss the opportunity to not only draft for some immediate needs, but for value as well. Wishing we had drafted to fill a need does not make me short-sighted, it makes me an optimist. Of the positions we needed to fill, LB primarily, we again missed the mark to draft a player that could make an immediate impact as well as be a long term value. Yes, those players exist and we attempted to trade up and get them (Hughes) but if we failed to make the trade, well - you see what I'm getting at. Now, my complaining will be minimal because that ring sure does look nice, but as for the Saints draft day, I guess I need not get my hopes up and save that energy for the play-offs :).

Abaddon
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
TBD.
I have a strong feeling that Patrick Robinson is going to be looked upon our first round pick in 2007 being Robert Meachem. He was not seen as a "need" at the time (we were 'stacked' at WR according to most) and had plenty of questions coming out. Three season later, he's finally showing why we drafted him. A lot of people thought Robert Meachem has tons of boom or bust potential too. With Malcolm Jenkins moving to FS, it is definitely not as bad of a pick as most are making it out to be.

Was he even the best CB on the board? I don't believe so.

The Saints aren't stacked across the board. They can't afford to draft this poorly and expect to continue to hold open their window of opportunity for success.

K Train
06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
TBD.

The Saints aren't stacked across the board. They can't afford to draft this poorly and expect to continue to hold open their window of opportunity for success.

after haden, jackson, mcourty, wilson he was almost certainly the next best corner and might have the highest ceiling out of all of them imo

Texas Homer
06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I voted (A).

wicket
06-01-2010, 04:38 PM
TBD.

on most/ virtually any board, yes he was

on my not though, i seriously disliked him as a prospect and still do, a guy who misses tackles cuz he plays soft is a thing that can be thought, a guy who just flat out has a tendancy of tackling air is a whole different animal and a thing that scares me to death and the reason why i wouldnt touch robinson before the third

SaintsMan
06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Robinson is a big boom or bust type of player. It's good that he'll get to learn behind two of the better corners in league, Greer and Porter. Also, a pretty good DC in Gregg Williams. I loved every pick after the first round, that's why it was a B for me.

regoob2
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the Patriots trades are listed?

wicket
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the Patriots trades are listed?

no you are not, was waiting how long it took someone to post about it

LizardState
06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Voted B. Not crazy about the Saints filling their needs appropriately as listed b/c they got 3rd/4th & even 5th-tier players or with the trades made, that's what hapens when you're dead last in the draft order as the SB winner. But Tennant alone may boost it to a B+, I had him in my mid-late rd. value players in the last draft. Tennant is a BC interior lineman & how many NFL-ready OL players have the Eagles produced lately? IMO only Iowa has outdone them for linemen who seem to excel at the NFL level. Really didnt like the Robinson pick & I don't think Charles Brown will adequately replace Jammal Brown or Bushrod if either depart, but this is a solid Saints roster on both sides of the ball that doesn't warrant a lot of tinkering with its starters.

In this chaotic yr. for the NFL with no CBA in place & the world economy still very depressed maybe the Saints won't suffer what most SB-winning teams do in terms of FA talent depletion once their veterans have their rings. Given the Saints image as the most feel-good SB winner in many yrs. with the comeback of the city of NOLA + Sean Payton's reputation as the best NFL offensive genius since Bellichick as a proven winner I think maybe the majority of their talent core will opt to stay there.

Rosebud
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
delete prease