PDA

View Full Version : The Conference Expansion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

diabsoule
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Just consolidating some threads.

With all of this happeneing right now and no where really to put it besides in threads that don't quite make sense here is a way to collect all of it together.

Post any news and Links here please.

Confrence Moves:
Colorado: From Big-12-North to Pac-10 (As of 2011 Football Season)
Boise State: From WAC to MWC (As of July 1, 2011)
Nebraska: From Big-12-North to Big 10 (As of 2011 Football Season)

Official Offers:
None at this time.

Hurricanes25
06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
This is the begining of the end for the BIG 12. If Texas leaves in the coming weeks, the conference will collapse considering that Texas tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will all be following.

thenewfeature06
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
This is the begining of the end for the BIG 12. If Texas leaves in the coming weeks, the conference will collapse considering that Texas tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will all be following.

Yeah Baylor as well per ESPN they at least want to follow but who knows if they get an invite..

kmartin575
06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Good for Colorado, I'm happy for them. I just hope my Missouri Tigers are as lucky in their pursuit to get out of this **** conference.

Go Cowboys
06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
With all of this happeneing right now and no where really to put it besides in threads that don't quite make sense here is a way to collect all of it together.

Post any news and Links here please.

Confrence Moves:
Colorado: From Big-12-North to Pac-10 (As of 2011 Football Season)
Boise State: From WAC to MWC (As of July 1, 2011)
Nebraska: From Big-12-North to Big 10 (As of 2011 Football Season)

Official Offers:
None at this time.

Go Cowboys
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione told the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100610_202_B1_OKLAHO7815) that BYU and Air Force are potential options to form a new Big 12, if conference officials can convince Texas to stay and keep everybody else in place.

Some other nuggets from Castiglione:

* The AD confirmed that the Southeastern Conference has shown interest in the Sooners.

* OU has decided, because of the long history betwen the schools, that it plans to stick with Texas -- wherever that may be: "I think it would be a horrendous decision for OU and Texas to break up," Castiglione said. "We're going to stick together if it's at all possible."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4668603/oklahoma-ad-byu-air-force-are-b12-options

Go Cowboys
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Don't have a link on this yet but Kansas' Athletic Director has stepped down.

Go Cowboys
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
All signs are pointing to a Nebraska move to the Big Ten.
A source close to the Nebraska program told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that athletic director Tom Osborne informed some staff members within the past 24 hours the Cornhuskers were going to make the move to the Big Ten conference.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

Looks like Nebraska may be gone despite the efforts of Kansas trying to keep them.

RealityCheck
06-10-2010, 04:56 PM
It's the start of the end of the Big 12 as we know it.

soybean
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I wonder what the Big 12 commissioner has to say about all of this.

This was a decent move by the Pac-10. I have no idea how good CU's academics are but at least we got the Denver TV market cornered.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I wonder what the Big 12 commissioner has to say about all of this.

This was a decent move by the Pac-10. I have no idea how good CU's academics are but at least we got the Denver TV market cornered.

I think i heard on one of ESPN's shows the other day(so take it for what its worth) that CU is on some type of academic probation. It is based on some point system and they were the only BCS school to fail it.

Sniper
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I think i heard on one of ESPN's shows the other day(so take it for what its worth) that CU is on some type of academic probation. It is based on some point system and they were the only BCS school to fail it.

They got docked scholarships for being under the APR limit. They weren't the only BCS school to fail it. Ole Miss, for one, also failed.

diabsoule
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Air Force and BYU? I can understand BYU but why not go after Utah as well?

onejayhawk
06-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Good for Colorado, I'm happy for them. I just hope my Missouri Tigers are as lucky in their pursuit to get out of this **** conference.

Mizzou will be in the same boat as KU. Want to paddle?

J

frubulubu
06-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Colorado, will look odd in the Pac 10. Will the PAC 10 change names?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-11-2010, 09:06 AM

They should add one more team an change the name to 12 pack

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Air Force and BYU? I can understand BYU but why not go after Utah as well?
I would have thought TCU and BYU then maybe Utah and maybe even Boise State but Air Force threw me off a little until I looked at some stats.

Air Force has been finishing in the top helf of the MWC in pretty much every sport for the past few years. They have made the NCAA Tourney in Basketball alot and in football they consistently make it to a bowl game.

Looks like we wil find out today though.

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Boise State is joining the Mountain West

http://twitter.com/schadjoe

Hines
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Someone said on Penn State's premium message board that Scott Van Pelt(I think?) said that Virginia Tech could be moving to the SEC.

thenewfeature06
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Like the move for Nebraska.. the basketball program will get raped, but if they can come that close to beating Texas in football with Michigan down and OSU always vunerable Nebraska can play with that conference. Personally, I am just talking sports wise, not academics..money, all that jazz.

The Colorado move was minor to me.. I am not sure what to think about it. I guess it makes sense academically? They certainly won't be compeating unless they were to move to the Mountain West or WAC lol.

Boise to the MWC will be an exciting conference with BYU, Utah, and TCU.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
This is a sad sad day in Kansas City. The fall of the Big 12, not only hurts the local rivalries, but it puts a serious damper on local college sporting event in this city. No more Big 12 Title game at Arrowhead. No more Big 12 Basketball Tournament at Sprint Arena. No more MU vs KU Armagedon Game at Arrowhead.

As a MU guy, I really hope that the Big 10 gives us an invitation to join. Looks like the entire Big 12 South, minus Baylor, will be invited to the Pac 10. That leaves KU, K-State, Iowa St and MU out in the cold. KU is strong enough in basketball that they should get into another BCS Conference, but KSU and ISU will be lucky if the Missouri Valley offers them a spot. Neither team has much to offer in $$$, recruiting base or large market followings.

The Big 12 should have been much more proactive in the past few years and tried to get a better tv deal, start their own network or find a way to create more $$$. It looks as though they sat on their hands for to long and all the bigger conferences are now taking advantage of the opportunity.

I'm old enough to remember somethings about the Big 8, but most of my college sports memories are from Big 12 schools, games and events that I attended. It's going to be a rough transition for me to watch MU in the Big 10. At least the next games I go to will envolve Ohio St, Penn St or Michigan.

The Bigger questions with this new Super Conferencses and their alignment together will be the future of the NCAA and will their be a new college orginization formed? If the SEC, Big 10 and the Pac 10 all aglig together and form a new college orginization, than the NCAA will go bye bye and athletes may start to receive some payment.

thenewfeature06
06-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Someone said on Penn State's premium message board that Scott Van Pelt(I think?) said that Virginia Tech could be moving to the SEC.

Probably will not happen but I would love it as probably anybody in the ACC would.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/249964

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Question for anyone that has more information on it than myself. If a school changes confrences does it become official as of the 2012 season in football?

How about other sports?

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Question for anyone that has more information on it than myself. If a school changes confrences does it become official as of the 2012 season in football?

How about other sports?

Depends on the school and the conference contracts. For the Big 12 teams, I believe that is the case.

And yes, they will switch in all sports. Only possible exception would be Notre Dame if they go to a conference.

This will likely go on for awhile, so I have stickied the thread.

thenewfeature06
06-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Boise will join in July 2011.. ESPN Bottomline..

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Depends on the school and the conference contracts. For the Big 12 teams, I believe that is the case.

And yes, they will switch in all sports. Only possible exception would be Notre Dame if they go to a conference.

This will likely go on for awhile, so I have stickied the thread.
Thanks, wonder how long Boise State will have to wait.

I heard that the basketball changes will take place in 2011 for the confrences. So I was just wondering if that was true or not.

Thanks for the sticky.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
This is a sad sad day in Kansas City. The fall of the Big 12, not only hurts the local rivalries, but it puts a serious damper on local college sporting event in this city. No more Big 12 Title game at Arrowhead. No more Big 12 Basketball Tournament at Sprint Arena. No more MU vs KU Armagedon Game at Arrowhead.

As a MU guy, I really hope that the Big 10 gives us an invitation to join. Looks like the entire Big 12 South, minus Baylor, will be invited to the Pac 10. That leaves KU, K-State, Iowa St and MU out in the cold. KU is strong enough in basketball that they should get into another BCS Conference, but KSU and ISU will be lucky if the Missouri Valley offers them a spot. Neither team has much to offer in $$$, recruiting base or large market followings.

The Big 12 should have been much more proactive in the past few years and tried to get a better tv deal, start their own network or find a way to create more $$$. It looks as though they sat on their hands for to long and all the bigger conferences are now taking advantage of the opportunity.

I'm old enough to remember somethings about the Big 8, but most of my college sports memories are from Big 12 schools, games and events that I attended. It's going to be a rough transition for me to watch MU in the Big 10. At least the next games I go to will envolve Ohio St, Penn St or Michigan.

The Bigger questions with this new Super Conferencses and their alignment together will be the future of the NCAA and will their be a new college orginization formed? If the SEC, Big 10 and the Pac 10 all aglig together and form a new college orginization, than the NCAA will go bye bye and athletes may start to receive some payment.

I am still holding out hope that They grab UTEP and maybe Houston make it the Big South Confrence or something.
I was thinking TCU maybe if it wasn't for Boise State joining the MWC.

Brings up the question of if MWC will turn into a BCS Confrence now? If the Big 12 Falls will they get the automatic Bid?

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Boise will join in July 2011.. ESPN Bottomline..
Thanks, was wondering on that one.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 12:33 PM
According to Joe Schad Kansas and Kansas State are looking like candidates to join the MWC which should lock up an Auto BCS big by 2012.

diabsoule
06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
According to Joe Schad Kansas and Kansas State are looking like candidates to join the MWC which should lock up an Auto BCS big by 2012.

That's what I was assuming as well. It makes sense for KU and KSU to join the MWC and legitimize that conference. Only other option would be to join with Baylor, Iowa State, Houston, UTEP, SMU, Rice, and Tulsa and form a conference together.

Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Iowa State
Houston
UTEP
SMU
Rice
Tulsa

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I still think Kansas could go somewhere better due to basketball.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 12:52 PM
That's what I was assuming as well. It makes sense for KU and KSU to join the MWC and legitimize that conference. Only other option would be to join with Baylor, Iowa State, Houston, UTEP, SMU, Rice, and Tulsa and form a conference together.

Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Iowa State
Houston
UTEP
SMU
Rice
The Big South?

Haha in all reality Nebraska should declare in the next few hours that they are moving the the Big 10 making it the new big 12?
The Pac 10 is now the Pac 11?
I wouldn't doubt at least 1 more team being added to the Pac so they can play a championship game.... With Boise going over to the MWC does that mean TCU, Utah or BYU become options if the Big 12 (Now Big 11) hold together without Nebraska?

So many questions....

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
The Big South?

Haha in all reality Nebraska should declare in the next few hours that they are moving the the Big 10 making it the new big 12?
The Pac 10 is now the Pac 11?
I wouldn't doubt at least 1 more team being added to the Pac so they can play a championship game.... With Boise going over to the MWC does that mean TCU, Utah or BYU become options if the Big 12 (Now Big 11) hold together without Nebraska?

So many questions....

I wouldn't doubt a whole bunch more teams to go to the Pac-10 and Big Ten.

diabsoule
06-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, the Big Ten needs to officially invite Nebraska. Whenever they do, Nebraska will join. Since Texas and Texas A&M are arguing over which conference to join I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think the Big XII is all but a memory. I do not see that conference taking steps to stay together.

On the flip side, I don't see four 16 team conferences surviving for very long. The WAC was not able to survive at 16 teams due to travel issues, spreading money around, etc... Given that that is the only example that we have when a conference expands to that many teams but the bottom line is that schools want money. I feel it is best to stay between 10-12 schools for a conference due to revenue share, level of competition, question about competition, etc...

jballa838
06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
anyone else think this turns into a pissing contest and the Big East and Big XII both are eaten up? The Big East is formidable for basketball but would be eaten by the ACC and Big Televen pretty quickly, with the MWC picking up the kansas schools and the Big XII south bouncing to the Pac 10. Baylor goes to the C-USA or maybe the Mountain West gets crazy and adds them, SMU, Houston and UTEP to fill it up to 16. SEC goes after some C-USA and picks up Memphis along with USF, Louisville and from the Big East. Maybe they go for a couple ACC Schools like FSU and Miami and then couple those with Louisville and USF, with the ACC getting Memphis and a wildcard to replace those schools. The Big Telven should get Mizzou (or they go SEC), Notre Dame, Cincinatti, and Pitt to make it a 16 team conference leaving Rutgers, Syracuse, UCONN and West Virginia making them a power conference of 16. then the smaller conferences eat up the other schools and we're set. The ACC becomes the best basketball conference in america hands down, and then there are 4.5 megapowers in football.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
The Big XII is dead... once Nebraska left, it became a free for all.

the TV contract was going to kill that conference... it was only a matter of time.

Nebraska is going to get about a $13 million raise just on TV revenue. Missouri would be in the same boat.

With Boise State joining the Mountain West, their profit potential just made a jump, so teams leaving that conference seem unlikely at present.

Everyone in the Big XII is trying to make the best team for themselves right now. The only team that is hanging onto the hope that was the Big XII is probably Kansas

iowatreat54
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Yea, no big deal, but the original post should be reworded. Nebraska hasn't been offered by the Big XI. Nebraska has said (have they said it yet officially?) that they would join if the Big XI invited. That's how the crazy Big XI rules work. They don't offer until teams say they would accept if offered.

GB12
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Kansas should join the Big East. Not a fit geographically, but otherwise it seems like a great fit. A top basketball school with just a decent football program. Might have to kick someone out to keep it at 16, but trading South Florida for Kansas would be worth it.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Kansas should join the Big East. Not a fit geographically, but otherwise it seems like a great fit. A top basketball school with just a decent football program. Might have to kick someone out to keep it at 16, but trading South Florida for Kansas would be worth it.
The Big East doesn't want basketball schools... they have them in spades. They want football programs. If the football program comes with a nice basketball program, so be it, but the Big East wants football teams

GB12
06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
The Big East doesn't want basketball schools... they have them in spades. They want football programs. If the football program comes with a nice basketball program, so be it, but the Big East wants football teams
The Big East can't get any good football schools, and certainly not enough to where they'd compete with the SEC, Big 10, and Super Pac 10. They should just accept that they're a basketball conference.

And yes I know that the money is in football, but there probably isn't any realistic football option that could bring them more money than Kansas basketball.

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, the Big Ten needs to officially invite Nebraska. Whenever they do, Nebraska will join. Since Texas and Texas A&M are arguing over which conference to join I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think the Big XII is all but a memory. I do not see that conference taking steps to stay together.

On the flip side, I don't see four 16 team conferences surviving for very long. The WAC was not able to survive at 16 teams due to travel issues, spreading money around, etc... Given that that is the only example that we have when a conference expands to that many teams but the bottom line is that schools want money. I feel it is best to stay between 10-12 schools for a conference due to revenue share, level of competition, question about competition, etc...

Big Ten has already invited Nebraska. Nebraska formally accepted the invitation about a half hour ago.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
The Big East can't get any good football schools, and certainly not enough to where they'd compete with the SEC, Big 10, and Super Pac 10. They should just accept that they're a basketball conference.

And yes I know that the money is in football, but there probably isn't any realistic football option that could bring them more money than Kansas basketball.
That's not necessarily true, but in order for that to happen, it requires the SEC to dismantle the ACC by taking Florida State and Miami. Then whether it's the Big East eating the ACC, the ACC eating the Big East, or some sort of mutual merger, they can consolidate a pretty nice football conference

onejayhawk
06-11-2010, 01:40 PM

If they get the 5 schools from the Big XII South, they will have a South Division (Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma) and a Pacific Coast Division (California, Oregon, Washington). How about Southern Pacific?

J

KCJ58
06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Colorado my new favorite Pac-10 team, GO BUFFS

duckseason
06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
More than likely just be Pac-16 or Pac-12. I think Big West would be better though, assuming we do go to 16. Nothing pacific about Oklahoma, Texas or Colorado.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Here is a link on Nebraska for anyone confused.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

bwillie26
06-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Iowa State
Houston
UTEP
SMU
Rice
Tulsa

Schad is drunk.

That conference would still not be that good football wise. Infact, if they did get an auto-BCS bid, it would be absolutely absurd and further drive the nail of the coffin for the BCS.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Quick heads up..... Via multiple Twitter sources Texas is planning to announce move to Pac 10 as early as Tuesday.

I wouldn't take this as a for sure move but I would consider it a good possibility.

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
The Big East has been a basketball conference since they made the move to 16 teams. Believe it or not football is second fiddle to basketball in the Big East.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
If Texas and Oklahoma join the Pac 10 and Nebraska has already joined the Big 10, then the Rose Bowl just made themselves a lot more money. Each one of those schools are football powers and travel very well.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
The Big East has been a basketball conference since they made the move to 16 teams. Believe it or not football is second fiddle to basketball in the Big East.
No, it isn't. They are good at basketball, so they are going to sell that, but in terms of adding schools to their conference, if they don't have a decent football program, they might as not even bother talking to them.

What does another good basketball program do for the Big East? Not very much. They already have 16 teams and most any of them not named DePaul is competitive so they are looking at 6+ teams in the tournament every year anyway.

Football drives the bus. That's just how it is.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Notre Dame just called off there 2013 game with Army at Yankee Stadium......

Some are saying this is a hint towards a move to the Big 10 as well.

Smooth Criminal
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I want Notre Dame in the Big Ten. Bad. Adding a program like that would be a great move for the Big Ten. I wanna see 16 teams and a title game, but I don't wanna see teams added just for the sake of adding teams. I wanna see some quality football and basketball programs added to the mix.

I like Nebraska. Notre Dame and Pitt would be great. My five teams would be those 3 and Kansas and Rutgers.

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Beebe said the Big Ten is not looking at nay other Big 12 teams.

Hines
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope Rutgers/Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame goes to the new and improved Big12 now.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I hope Rutgers/Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame goes to the new and improved Big12 now.
Pass on Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Beebe said the Big Ten is not looking at nay other Big 12 teams.
Has he been fired yet? The guy is a moron. The TV contract was a nightmare, but he completely blew it in keeping the Big XII viable by passing on the +1 option when it was out there.

ryno626
06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Pass on Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

it's all about those tv markets bro

GB12
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM

How does Pittsburgh help? It's already in Pennsylvania with Penn State. Is Pittsburgh really a big enough market to make a difference?

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Pittsburgh is worthless in that conversation as it literally brings nothing. Pittsburgh is already a Big Ten TV market.

Syracuse is not gonna get the Big Ten Manhattan. It just isn't. Syracuse is in Western New York and the Syracuse football program is mediocre at best, so they offer little or nothing in TV.

Rutgers might, but that's really the only possibility for New York City. Missouri brings with it Kansas City and St. Louis. Maryland gives you D.C. and Baltimore.

If TV Markets are purely the goal, then Pittsburgh and Syracuse are already out of the conversation.

bwillie26
06-11-2010, 05:19 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/TSB/Nebraska_Big10_Bound.gif

diabsoule
06-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Oklahoma is headed to the Pac 10
http://newsok.com/article/3467852

Once Texas makes their announcement, Texas Tech, OU and OSU will make theirs.

Texas A&M is on a 72 hour deadline to make their decision.

Sniper
06-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Oklahoma is headed to the Pac 10
http://newsok.com/article/3467852

Once Texas makes their announcement, Texas Tech, OU and OSU will make theirs.

Texas A&M is on a 72 hour deadline to make their decision.

Huuuuuuuuuuge get for the Pac-10.

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 06:08 PM
That could be one giant step towards moving ND to the Big Ten

keylime_5
06-11-2010, 06:41 PM
gonna have to have a major renaming session for all these conferences pretty soon.

I have a feeling Notre Dame is Big Ten bound in only a matter of time. I have no idea who the 3rd new team they would add would be. Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt don't exactly have the luster of Notre Dame or Nebraska, but the former two would tap that New York market.

diabsoule
06-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I think Notre Dame will end up going to the Big Ten when it's all said and done.

keylime_5
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I heard the BTN is gonna show Nebraska games starting this year even though they'll still be a Big 12 team for another year or so before they actually join.

YAYareaRB
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
uhhhhhh one question. What's with the big moves? why is it happening? does this happen every so often?

Shane P. Hallam
06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
uhhhhhh one question. What's with the big moves? why is it happening? does this happen every so often?

It does. The reason is money. The Big 12 makes about 10 million dollars less a year on football than the Big Ten/Pac-10/SEC will. Since the Big Ten Network finally made the money and showed it can succeed, Pac-10 about to do the same, it is the time for change.

thenewfeature06
06-11-2010, 07:26 PM
No, it isn't. They are good at basketball, so they are going to sell that, but in terms of adding schools to their conference, if they don't have a decent football program, they might as not even bother talking to them.

What does another good basketball program do for the Big East? Not very much. They already have 16 teams and most any of them not named DePaul is competitive so they are looking at 6+ teams in the tournament every year anyway.

Football drives the bus. That's just how it is.

Professionally, no doubt about it but the Big East probably wouldn't mind bringing in a basketball team maybe if Rutgers leaves.. Big 10 country where you are I am guessing is all about football. East coast colleges is primarily focused on basketball imo.

Go Cowboys
06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Apparently the Big 12 (Now 10) is being told that they are going to make more money on their new TV Deal starting in 2011 or 2012, can't tell which one they mean. And that sense they have 2 teams less to share money with they will all be making even more than all the schools in the Pac 10 (now 11)

The Big 10 (now 12) isn't looking to invite any more of the former Big 12 members

CJSchneider
06-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Baylor, UT, TAMU, and Texas Tech didn't join the Big 12 (Big 8 at the time) until '96.

diabsoule
06-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I wonder if the SEC would be interested in Missouri since the Big Ten and PAC 10 don't seem to be.

descendency
06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Seriously, where does Kansas go? The Mountain West???

Kansas' Basketball program is too good for the MWC... lol. The PAC10 doesn't seem interested and neither does the Big 10. The SEC makes no sense. Neither does the Big East or ACC.

Hurricanes25
06-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Kansas' Basketball program is too good for the MWC... lol. The PAC10 doesn't seem interested and neither does the Big 10. The SEC makes no sense. Neither does the Big East or ACC.

Yea, Kansas' basketball team is too good for the MWC but football is where the money is at so they're not really appealing to the PAC 10 or the Big 10. It's a shame but that's the politics of college sports.

LetsGoGiants!
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
What are some possible moves to happen? Would any of the southern ACC teams go to the SEC? Like Clemson, GT or Miami?

wonderbredd24
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
What are some possible moves to happen? Would any of the southern ACC teams go to the SEC? Like Clemson, GT or Miami?
The SEC is going to respond at some point and it stands to reason they will go after either the Big East or ACC and the ACC makes more sense from a geographic standpoint and quality of football programs, whether it's Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, etc.

Texas A&M could be a possibility, but I'm not sure I see it... I think they are gonna end up in the PAC-10

King Carls 5 Year Plan
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM

I agree with you, but basketball is alot different from football. A team doesn't have to be in a major conference to win a title. Memphis was a Mario Chalmers miracle 3 pointer from being a National Champion in a terrible conference. The basketball schedule allows for alot of preseason tournaments and non-conference games agianst other top 25 teams to prove your value.

D-Unit
06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I think the best spot for Kansas is the SEC. Good for basketball and football. Kentucky is there. That seems to work.

diabsoule
06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I think the best spot for Kansas is the SEC. Good for basketball and football. Kentucky is there. That seems to work.

It could work, especially if the SEC is interested in Missouri, however, I think the SEC wants football powers and would rather go after teams like Florida State, Miami, and Virginia Tech over the Jayhawks and Tigers.

holt_bruce81
06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
What is next for Missouri? It seems they were one of the 1st teams rumored to be moving out of the big 12. Either those were just false rumors or Mike Alden dragged his feet and missed out on an opportunity to help Missouri athletics.

thenewfeature06
06-11-2010, 11:04 PM
It could work, especially if the SEC is interested in Missouri, however, I think the SEC wants football powers and would rather go after teams like Florida State, Miami, and Virginia Tech over the Jayhawks and Tigers.

I am starting to think that UNC is either staying in the ACC if it can not let a bunch of teams go and don't go after teams etc.. The only move we could make is Big East? Correct?

TACKLE
06-11-2010, 11:11 PM
All this is crazy. I knew there was going to be some conference reshuffling but I didn't expect the changes to be this drastic. Oklahoma going to the Pac-10 is huge and its looking like Texas is about to follow. Too bad USC is going to on the down for the next few years because that would be some ridiculous competition on top of the conference.

Question....If the Pac-10 expands to 16 teams, will they have some sort of conference playoff or will they just have championship game to determine who will go to the Rose Bowl.

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Championship game only probably. I guess the winner would go to BCS Championship game while the loser probably goes to Rose Bowl.

Borat
06-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I think this reshuffling is awesome. Can't wait to see the new Pac 16. Should produce some epic games.

thenewfeature06
06-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Does anybody else know who the MWC gave an invitation too? Or are they just adding Boise now?

BPhilb
06-12-2010, 01:03 AM
What is next for Missouri? It seems they were one of the 1st teams rumored to be moving out of the big 12. Either those were just false rumors or Mike Alden dragged his feet and missed out on an opportunity to help Missouri athletics.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens but before all is said and done they will land on thier feet. There are two major markets in the state and half the sports journalist in the world seem to come from Mizzou. If that leads to the Big 10 in the future or somewhere else is hard to tell but I imagine when everyone decides to get to 16 teams things will fall into place for Mizzou and Kansas as well.

fenikz
06-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Pac-10 prob ends adding, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor but if they could somehow get Utah I think that would be a huge addition

duckseason
06-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Pac-10 prob ends adding, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor but if they could somehow get Utah I think that would be a huge addition

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061210dnospoaustinreport.92f8114a.html

If the Aggies cannot commit, the Pac-10 is prepared to invite Kansas with its great basketball tradition. While the Jayhawks (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Kansas_Jayhawks) are desperate to find a landing spot, they would have to leave in-state rival Kansas State, a political problem.

diabsoule
06-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Does anybody else know who the MWC gave an invitation too? Or are they just adding Boise now?

The MWC is waiting to see where everyone lands. The only invitation they extended was to Boise State.

Also, The Big East is looking to be pro-active with conference realignment and are discussing the possibility of adding the five remaining Big XII schools (Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Baylor) along with possibly Memphis, UCF, and one more school being added to form a 16 team Big East.

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/06/big-east-considers-being-proactive-this.html

At this point, I think the Big East will wait and see what the Big 10 and SEC decide to do before acting. If somehow Notre Dame decides not to move to the Big 10 and they instead grab 2 Big East schools and in turn the SEC raids the ACC and chooses three to four schools (Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State) or three ACC schools and one Big East school (West Virginia) then there could be a possible consolidation of the Big East and ACC.

In the event that Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech go to the SEC and the Big Ten grabs Rutgers and Pittsburgh (all teams listed are being used just for the sake of argument) then the following Big Atlantic Conference would look as such:

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
Syracuse
West Virginia

South
Clemson
Duke
NC State
North Carolina
South Florida
Virginia
Wake Forest

Adding two of the three schools (East Carolina, Memphis, or UCF) would give the Big Atlantic a 16 team conference like the other Big 3 conferences have done.

This is just speculation on my part and something fun to talk about.

XLIV
06-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Conference Expansion Explained in MS Paint

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/65557-The-Way-of-The-World-Conference-Realignment-Redux-in-MS-Paint

keylime_5
06-12-2010, 06:11 AM
the sec might want to expand after all this, but I don't really see florida state and miami going there. they would basically be committing prestige suicide by going to that conference where they'd be like 4th, 5th, or 6th every year instead of being clearly the top 2 talented teams in the ACC.

Michigan
06-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Conference Expansion Explained in MS Paint

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/65557-The-Way-of-The-World-Conference-Realignment-Redux-in-MS-Paint

I liked the depiction of Notre Dame.

wonderbredd24
06-12-2010, 07:21 AM
the sec might want to expand after all this, but I don't really see florida state and miami going there. they would basically be committing prestige suicide by going to that conference where they'd be like 4th, 5th, or 6th every year instead of being clearly the top 2 talented teams in the ACC.

Their prestige has taken a hit by the ACC becoming so mediocre in recent years anyway and even if they become dominant, it just won't carry the same weight.

When either programs gets going, they can be just as competitive as any other team in the SEC.

EvilNixon
06-12-2010, 07:22 AM

I'd think only Alabama,Florida, and LSU would clearly have more talent. Miami has the athletes and the rich recruiting base. I think they could compete in the SEC right now.

thenewfeature06
06-12-2010, 08:41 AM
I'd think only Alabama,Florida, and LSU would clearly have more talent. Miami has the athletes and the rich recruiting base. I think they could compete in the SEC right now.

It is a possibility but I don't see it... you are forgetting Georgia, UT, and Auburn had one of the best recruiting classes too. Miami still can recruit good but not as good as they used to.

wonderbredd24
06-12-2010, 08:45 AM
It is a possibility but I don't see it... you are forgetting Georgia, UT, and Auburn had one of the best recruiting classes too. Miami still can recruit good but not as good as they used to.

That's just silly. There are always ebbs and flows in recruiting by schools. It wasn't that long ago that Florida was the weakest of the 3 Florida schools. Now it's on top. Miami will get back on top at some point as will Florida State. It's just how it goes. Typically, there are 2 good Florida schools at a time.

thenewfeature06
06-12-2010, 08:52 AM
That's just silly. There are always ebbs and flows in recruiting by schools. It wasn't that long ago that Florida was the weakest of the 3 Florida schools. Now it's on top. Miami will get back on top at some point as will Florida State. It's just how it goes. Typically, there are 2 good Florida schools at a time.

I mean I guess......................... but the majority of the recruits in Florida will be signing with UF if they keep winning championships, as well as LSU. Alot of them will be going to Bama to seeing as the Saban era here seems like it will be going on for at least another 3 years barring departure for the NFL or something. FSU and Miami will get recruits but I doubt you see them as a top class real soon.

:D

wonderbredd24
06-12-2010, 08:59 AM
I mean I guess......................... but the majority of the recruits in Florida will be signing with UF if they keep winning championships, as well as LSU. Alot of them will be going to Bama to seeing as the Saban era here seems like it will be going on for at least another 3 years barring departure for the NFL or something. FSU and Miami will get recruits but I doubt you see them as a top class real soon.

:D
Obviously it remains to be seen what happens to the players, but FSU's class was ranked 6th by ESPN last year for whatever that's worth and this year's class is currently 6th ahead of Florida, which is 7th. Much can change, but Jimbo Fisher seems to be doing pretty well.

Shane P. Hallam
06-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Championship game only probably. I guess the winner would go to BCS Championship game while the loser probably goes to Rose Bowl.

Not necessarily.

critesy
06-12-2010, 10:41 AM
lmfao to the ms paint

King Carls 5 Year Plan
06-12-2010, 02:40 PM
if the MWC adds KU, MU and KSU, like it's being reported, then the MWC would deserve an automatic BCS bid. They can have the Big XIIs old auto-bid.
Boise St would be the biggest beneficiary. They would have a better schedule and an automatic bid into the BCS.

wonderbredd24
06-12-2010, 02:42 PM
if the MWC adds KU, MU and KSU, like it's being reported, then the MWC would deserve an automatic BCS bid. They can have the Big XIIs old auto-bid.
Boise St would be the biggest beneficiary. They would have a better schedule and an automatic bid into the BCS.
They should get the automatic bid anyway, regardless of adding anyone other than Boise State

diabsoule
06-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Star-Telegram reports TCU lobbying to keep Baylor out of MWC

TitanHope
06-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Chip Brown of OrangBloods.com and ESPN Radio is reporting that the Texas A&M board of regents have enough votes to join the SEC, if they so decide to.

Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week, sources tell Orangebloods.com

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB/status/16038520816

GB12
06-12-2010, 10:56 PM
thought that one of the big issues was that Texas was being forced to stay with TAMU?

Shane P. Hallam
06-12-2010, 11:03 PM
thought that one of the big issues was that Texas was being forced to stay with TAMU?

Nah, seems that are fine being separated. OU is the bigger one, who has said they are following Texas.

TitanHope
06-12-2010, 11:11 PM
There's supposedly speculation that if Texas A&M joins the SEC, then Mike Slive will travel to Norman, OK and try to convince the Sooners as well (Slive is supposedly in College Station now).

I'm guessing people think that Oklahoma would be more willing to part ways with Texas and join the SEC if they're joined by another Big 12 South team? I think it's better for college football if TX/OU stay together, though.

There's still the ability of having annual OOC games, too. Several current SEC teams have those (Florida/FSU, Georgia/GATech, SCAR/Clemson), so I don't see why TX/TAMU (or TX/OU for that matter, I guess) couldn't do the same.

GB12
06-12-2010, 11:18 PM
So if TAMU an Oklahoma go to the SEC would it be safe to say that Texas would go to the Big Ten then instead of the Pac 10

diabsoule
06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I would rather Texas A&M just go to the Pac10. If the SEC were to get a Big XII team I would rather it be Texas as their academic and athletic programs are better as a whole than A&M. I am fairly surprised Mike Slive hasn't made an attempt to try and swing Texas over. Imagine the tv deal the SEC could work out if Texas, TAMU, Okie State, and OU joined the SEC...

I have been pondering this as well: no matter what A&M does, why don't the SEC go after Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri? It expands their footprint out west, tremendously increasing the competition in basketball (imagine Kansas vs. Kentucky every year), and doesn't lower the competition in football too much. SEC could even pick up Baylor or any other team really to increase it to 16 teams.

TitanHope
06-12-2010, 11:55 PM
If TAMU and Oklahoma both move to the SEC, then I think the **** hits the fan. Anything could happen from the reformation of the Big 12 to Texas going independent. There'd even be the possibility of Texas joining the SEC as well, seeing as their biggest conference rival (OU) and instate rival (TAMU) would both be joining the conference as well. Whether they'd be willing to give up on the Pac 10 merger, submit to following OU and TAMU to the SEC, and then leave the other former Big 12 teams out in the cold is another thing though.

Shane P. Hallam
06-12-2010, 11:56 PM
I would rather Texas A&M just go to the Pac10. If the SEC were to get a Big XII team I would rather it be Texas as their academic and athletic programs are better as a whole than A&M. I am fairly surprised Mike Slive hasn't made an attempt to try and swing Texas over. Imagine the tv deal the SEC could work out if Texas, TAMU, Okie State, and OU joined the SEC...

I have been pondering this as well: no matter what A&M does, why don't the SEC go after Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri? It expands their footprint out west, tremendously increasing the competition in basketball (imagine Kansas vs. Kentucky every year), and doesn't lower the competition in football too much. SEC could even pick up Baylor or any other team really to increase it to 16 teams.

Too many teams. I think the SEC is a bit worried about the money thinning out with 16 teams.

And the Mountain West doesn't even want Baylor, let alone the SEC.

OU has already said it, they are waiting for Texas and following Texas.

TitanHope
06-12-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't even think the Big 12 wanted Baylor. It was Texas's pull that got them into the conference.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM

nothing makes sense about any Texas team joining the Pac 10. Even OU.

Shane P. Hallam
06-13-2010, 12:15 AM
nothing makes sense about any Texas team joining the Pac 10. Even OU.

10 million dollars more a year does.

JoeJoeBrown
06-13-2010, 12:29 AM
There's supposedly speculation that if Texas A&M joins the SEC, then Mike Slive will travel to Norman, OK and try to convince the Sooners as well (Slive is supposedly in College Station now).

I'm guessing people think that Oklahoma would be more willing to part ways with Texas and join the SEC if they're joined by another Big 12 South team? I think it's better for college football if TX/OU stay together, though.

There's still the ability of having annual OOC games, too. Several current SEC teams have those (Florida/FSU, Georgia/GATech, SCAR/Clemson), so I don't see why TX/TAMU (or TX/OU for that matter, I guess) couldn't do the same.

Some random crap:

1) TX and OU have been in the same conference for 14 years. That's it. They have rivalry game that they have played irregardless of conference for ages.

2) Aggies did not like their travel issues when dealing with the PAC-10. The prospect of that being an annual thing is not appealing to them.

3) UT's arrogance has worn thin on Aggieland and lots of A&M alumni want to go their own way. The SEC is that outlet for them.

4) OU desperately wants to follow UT. If UT heads to the Big10, OU needs to look elsewhere as they aren't academically up to snuff.

5) I still think the Big12 south (minus baylor) heads to form the Pac16. It's basically the same division as the Big12 south + the arizonas + another team. Cakewalk for UT and OU. With USC down and the rest of the PAC10 being completely weak, UT and OU are virtually guaranteed a NC appearance at least once every 4 years. No competition.

6) UT wants unbalance TV $. I doubt any conference gives that to them, but they are playing the Big10 and PAC10 off of each other like crazy.

7) I hope UT and ND come to the Big10. It make$ $en$e. Mostly due to CIC money.

8) For lots of fun rumors: orangebloods.com, frankthetank.wordpress.com, and a good Big10 source (http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=901&fid=57&style=2&tid=143839427&Page=1).

Good thread, keep up the banter.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 12:42 AM
10 million dollars more a year does.

we'll see how that works when the players are too tired to play a game from traveling so damn much.

JoeJoeBrown
06-13-2010, 01:02 AM
we'll see how that works when the players are too tired to play a game from traveling so damn much.

With two divisions, most conference games will be against the 7 different teams in the division. 1 or 2 games outside of the division, and a championship game. That means 1 or 2 long haul trips in conference per year. Not a big deal.

Oh, one more thing that is floating around out there is a combined Pac16/Big10 TV deal. Basically force cable companies to make this a standard tier cable channel.

Shane P. Hallam
06-13-2010, 01:02 AM

You'll still watch, I'll still watch, everyone will still watch. They will still get the 10 mill.

NFL teams do it, other college sports do it, and heck even football teams travel a lot (BC down to FSU? OSU to USC? etc). It's not as big an issue for the players as it is made out to be. Annoyance? For sure. But it won't lower the level of play.

nrk
06-13-2010, 01:13 AM
I'd much rather OU and A&M go to SEC. OU/UT would still play an annual OOC game as they did before the Big 12 like JoeJoeBrown said.

diabsoule
06-13-2010, 02:10 AM
According to ESPN, Texas is the SEC's #1 choice but will settle for TAMU. They do want Oklahoma and Mike Slive will make his case to the school's president. As an SEC fan, it makes too much sense to have Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State in the SEC. If they could get then they could re-work the TV deal.

You would still get OU/TX, UGA/FL, AL/LSU every year plus TX/LSU, OU/LSU, TX/AL, OU/AL, TX/FL, OU/FL, etc... That's ridiculous. It would also reunite those four schools with Arkansas from the old Southwest Conference.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 02:10 AM
You'll still watch, I'll still watch, everyone will still watch. They will still get the 10 mill.

NFL teams do it, other college sports do it, and heck even football teams travel a lot (BC down to FSU? OSU to USC? etc). It's not as big an issue for the players as it is made out to be. Annoyance? For sure. But it won't lower the level of play.

NFL teams don't have to study for exams either. A texas team having to travel to Cali then to another place, back to oregon and back and so forth. **** gets tiresome.

also these are awesome shirts.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/125206/80f369202cdd64203ff06b55c4293a69eeb2c38a.jpg

JoeJoeBrown
06-13-2010, 02:13 AM
I'd much rather OU and A&M go to SEC. OU/UT would still play an annual OOC game as they did before the Big 12 like JoeJoeBrown said.

Good lord, OU in the SEC would be fantastic. OU playing Bama, LSU, Arkansas, etc. every year, on top of rotating against UF and UGA is a great thing to think about.

A&M has their problems and will eventually get out of their terrible slide. Overall, the SEC would be even better, which is a sick thought. The top 6 teams would be killers row.

JoeJoeBrown
06-13-2010, 02:16 AM
According to ESPN, Texas is the SEC's #1 choice but will settle for TAMU. They do want Oklahoma and Mike Slive will make his case to the school's president. As an SEC fan, it makes too much sense to have Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State in the SEC. If they could get then they could re-work the TV deal.

You would still get OU/TX, UGA/FL, AL/LSU every year plus TX/LSU, OU/LSU, TX/AL, OU/AL, TX/FL, OU/FL, etc... That's ridiculous. It would also reunite those four schools with Arkansas from the old Southwest Conference.

That would be a sick conference.

I just don't think UT wants to deal with the SEC for either academics or for competition.

diabsoule
06-13-2010, 04:43 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

Mountain West has it's eyes on KU, KSU, and Missouri. Adding two of those three teams would be incredible for the conference as a whole especially for basketball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279963

SEC covets Texas and Oklahoma but do not see either as realistic options. Kansas would like an SEC invite if the Pac10 gets the six Big XII teams to move to their conference, however, the SEC does not seem primed to invite KU nor does it want to raid the ACC for teams like Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, or Virginia Tech.

The five Big XII schools that would be left in the cold had a conference call where they expressed their desires to hold the Big XII together as a 10 team conference or to expand by adding 2-6 teams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on if the Big XII were to stay together is that they would have to target universities like Utah, BYU, Boise State, New Mexico, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, etc... Basically the best of the Mountain West and the top of C-USA Western division.

soybean
06-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Joe Schad said that if Texas A&M goes to the SEC, the Pac-10 errr, Pac-11 will be targetting Utah.

giant73zuma
06-13-2010, 06:14 AM
MWC and Pac 10 are gonna abosrb the big xii and i can see the acc and big ten eating up the big east. I see there being 5 16 team super conferences looking something like this:

Big 10: illinios, indiana, penn st, ohio st, iowa, purdue, michigan, michigan st, northwestern, wisconsin, nebraska, missouri, rutgers, syracuse, notre dame

Pac 10: arizona, arizona st, cal, oregon, oregon st, stanford, usc, ucla, washington, washington st, colorado, texas, oklahoma, ok st, texas tech, texas AM

MWC: Baylor, Iowa st, K state, Air force, byu, colorado st, new mexico, tcu, nevada, unlv, utah, boise st, houston, utep, fresno, hawaii

SEC: Alabama, arkansas, auburn, florida, georgia, kentucky, lsu, ole miss, miss st, south carolina, tennessee, vandy, west virgina, kansas, louisville, south florida

ACC: BC, clemson, duke, florida st, gt, maryland, miami, unc, nc st, uva, va tech, wake forest, uconn, pitt, cincinatti, ECU

Shane P. Hallam
06-13-2010, 08:55 AM
MWC and Pac 10 are gonna abosrb the big xii and i can see the acc and big ten eating up the big east. I see there being 5 16 team super conferences looking something like this:

Big 10: illinios, indiana, penn st, ohio st, iowa, purdue, michigan, michigan st, northwestern, wisconsin, nebraska, missouri, rutgers, syracuse, notre dame

Pac 10: arizona, arizona st, cal, oregon, oregon st, stanford, usc, ucla, washington, washington st, colorado, texas, oklahoma, ok st, texas tech, texas AM

MWC: Baylor, Iowa st, K state, Air force, byu, colorado st, new mexico, tcu, nevada, unlv, utah, boise st, houston, utep, fresno, hawaii

SEC: Alabama, arkansas, auburn, florida, georgia, kentucky, lsu, ole miss, miss st, south carolina, tennessee, vandy, west virgina, kansas, louisville, south florida

ACC: BC, clemson, duke, florida st, gt, maryland, miami, unc, nc st, uva, va tech, wake forest, uconn, pitt, cincinatti, ECU

Couple things need changes around:

1. Missouri is going to the Mountain West, along with Kansas more than likely.

2. A&M looks to be headed to the SEC.

3. Mountain West doesn't want Baylor, so you won't see that happen.

4. I think Pitt is much more likely for a Big Ten move than ACC move.

Smooth Criminal
06-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I want Pitt in the Big Ten, but I think their best fit is the ACC. Everyones been saying that the Big Ten doesn't want them anyway because they dont add a tv market.

Shane P. Hallam
06-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I want Pitt in the Big Ten, but I think their best fit is the ACC. Everyones been saying that the Big Ten doesn't want them anyway because they dont add a tv market.

There have at least been talks with them for the Big Ten, so we'll see. It does depend on what the Pac-10 does. If they go to 16, the Big Ten may look to follow and out of the Big East teams, Pitt has to be a Top four choice.

B-Dawk
06-13-2010, 10:20 AM
being a uconn guy i am more concerned with the implications of losing the big east basketball tradition. would prefer to have a couple more big east bball powers going to the acc if thats where we're headed.

Go Cowboys
06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Couple things need changes around:

1. Missouri is going to the Mountain West, along with Kansas more than likely.

2. A&M looks to be headed to the SEC.

3. Mountain West doesn't want Baylor, so you won't see that happen.

4. I think Pitt is much more likely for a Big Ten move than ACC move.
MWC doesn't want Baylor but I see them taking in Baylor, if not I see Baylor and a lot of teams that are unwanted in the C-USA which in turn makes them into a superconference too.

thenewfeature06
06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

Mountain West has it's eyes on KU, KSU, and Missouri. Adding two of those three teams would be incredible for the conference as a whole especially for basketball.

WTF, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I can see how that would be good for the conference with the recognition but if KU and Mizzou joined lets say.. that would be terrible, every year Self would have a conference title at least try and bring in another big time program to compete. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Go Cowboys
06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
TCU released a statement late Saturday from athletic director Chris Del Conte refuting a newspaper report Saturday in which sources said TCU would attempt to block Baylor from a possible move to the Mountain West Conference. Here's the statement:

"Contrary to a published report, TCU would not lobby against another institution possibly seeking membership in the Mountain West Conference. TCU would support any addition our Mountain West Conference partners believe strengthens our league. The Mountain West Conference is a great home to TCU and we are excited about what the future holds for our league."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4668741/tcu-ad-frogs-bears-can-co-exist

Go Cowboys
06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks like the rumor is that the 5 Big Twelve teams that may be left out of the Pac 10 are looking to reconstruct the Big 12 due to the new TV deal. Some candidates include, TCU, BYU, Utah, and Air Force.

But then again why not just all join the MWC? It would basically end up as the same confrence unless Baylor is excluded because of bad blood between TCU and Baylor?

thenewfeature06
06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
being a uconn guy i am more concerned with the implications of losing the big east basketball tradition. would prefer to have a couple more big east bball powers going to the acc if thats where we're headed.

Yeah interesting thought since the Big East/ACC haven't got much attention/haven't made a move yet. Being a UNC guy anybody from the Big East can join the ACC without me having a problem. For basketball it would be great and for football it wouldn't make that big of an impact.

Smooth Criminal
06-13-2010, 11:49 AM
There have at least been talks with them for the Big Ten, so we'll see. It does depend on what the Pac-10 does. If they go to 16, the Big Ten may look to follow and out of the Big East teams, Pitt has to be a Top four choice.

If I got to pick the 5 teams to get to 16 it would have been Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame, Pitt, and either Rutgers, Maryland, or Kansas.

Giantsfan1080
06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Would the Big Ten take Maryland? If so the ACC then might replace them with Pitt. I mean as of now anything can happen.

Smooth Criminal
06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I dont know it there is any interest at all, but I think it would be a pretty good fit. Adding Maryland could bring in some nice tv markets.

I'd rather have Kansas and their basketball program, but apparently the Big Ten has no interest.

diabsoule
06-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Looks like the rumor is that the 5 Big Twelve teams that may be left out of the Pac 10 are looking to reconstruct the Big 12 due to the new TV deal. Some candidates include, TCU, BYU, Utah, and Air Force.

But then again why not just all join the MWC? It would basically end up as the same confrence unless Baylor is excluded because of bad blood between TCU and Baylor?

The Mountain West just doesn't want Iowa State and Baylor. Adding Mizzou, KSU, and Kansas really increases the prestige of the conference and would legitimize it, Baylor and ISU do not. I can easily see those two schools going to C-USA which would boost that conference up to 14 teams.

Shane P. Hallam
06-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I dont know it there is any interest at all, but I think it would be a pretty good fit. Adding Maryland could bring in some nice tv markets.

I'd rather have Kansas and their basketball program, but apparently the Big Ten has no interest.

Nope, Big Ten has never talked to Maryland either.

onejayhawk
06-13-2010, 12:25 PM
The Mountain West just doesn't want Iowa State and Baylor. Adding Mizzou, KSU, and Kansas really increases the prestige of the conference and would legitimize it, Baylor and ISU do not. I can easily see those two schools going to C-USA which would boost that conference up to 14 teams.

You misread. Baylor and Iowa State would be part of a reformed Big XII.

They have a big incentive. Until action is taken to change it, the Big XII is still a BCS league. TCU would grab a chance to join with both hands, which gives them a foot in the Dallas/Ft Worth TV market. They could pull in some teams from the MWC, or ones they have eyed, such as BYU, Utah and USAFA. I can see this happening very easily.

I can just see the Baylor/BYU posters. John 3:16 vs Moronai 2:9

J

thenewfeature06
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Maryland athletics would get dominated in basketball and football haha womens basketball would be nice.................................

anyway academically UMD works for the Big 10 but Notre Dame would be a much better option imo.

diabsoule
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
You misread. Baylor and Iowa State would be part of a reformed Big XII. They would pull in some teams the MWC has eyed, such as BYU.

J

Why reform the Big XII with just five teams? If the Big XII can stay with the ten teams it has now then that makes more sense but I don't think that will happen, not with Texas wanting to move.

gpngc
06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Wait... the Big East is going to dissolve? Sorry I'm so late but this stuff is insane.

dannyz
06-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Baylor should join the Sun Belt Conference.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
aTm has offically backed away from the Pac-10 and Tejas is backing off the Pac-10 now too.

fenikz
06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
my prediction :D

Pac 10 - Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington State

Big 10 - Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin

SEC - Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech

ACC - Boston College, Cincinnatti, Clemson, Duke, Eastern Carolina, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Florida, Syracuse, Virginia, UConn, Wake Forest, West Virginia

Each Conference shall have 2 divisions, the winner of the two divisions shall play. Then in a rotation the winners of the Pac/Big/SEC/ACC will play and for the National Championship Game, the winners of those games will face off

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Why would Notre Dame join the ACC/Big East in football when the money they're offering and academic standing they are offering are both lower and the Big East is stupid enough to let them have all of their sports save football in there already?

GB12
06-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all. If Notre Dame is going to join a conference for football it will be the Big Ten.

I also think that unless the Big Ten can get Notre Dame or Texas that they will hold at 12.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all. If Notre Dame is going to join a conference for football it will be the Big Ten.

I also think that unless the Big Ten can get Notre Dame or Texas that they will hold at 12.
This wouldn't surprise me either. The Big Ten has the power and they know it... with this whole thing with Missouri going the complete opposite way, Jim Delaney seems to be holding out for the best.

fenikz
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
i actually left off Texas A&M so just put them in the SEC then GT in the ACC and its the same

Brent
06-13-2010, 10:49 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/125206/80f369202cdd64203ff06b55c4293a69eeb2c38a.jpg
I WANT THIS SHIRT.

As one of two Aggies on this forum, I can't wait till we join the SEC. I really wish UT would follow, same with OU and Okie State. Tech looks to be an odd man out but... well... I dont think UT/TAMU cares.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 11:04 PM
my prediction :D

SEC - Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech

not only is that the most unlikely of all to happen, it's just plain not going to happen. SEC wants NO ACC teams as of now and Virginia Tech would not leave UVA from what i'm hearing.

would love it to happen though.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
http://aggiestothesec.com/

TitanHope
06-14-2010, 03:26 AM
I WANT THIS SHIRT.

As one of two Aggies on this forum, I can't wait till we join the SEC. I really wish UT would follow, same with OU and Okie State. Tech looks to be an odd man out but... well... I dont think UT/TAMU cares.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3547/jjohnsonsec2.png

*cough*secemblemonrightsideofhischest*cough*

Go Cowboys
06-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Just heard some rich Memphis Alumni Called into all the BCS confrences and said he would pay a $100 million a year to have memphis in a BCS confrence......

diabsoule
06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Just heard some rich Memphis Alumni Called into all the BCS confrences and said he would pay a $100 million a year to have memphis in a BCS confrence......

Only BCS conference I can see Memphis going to is the Big East.

YAYareaRB
06-14-2010, 09:25 AM
The MWC should invite Texas Tech. The offensive numbers in the conference would be nuts!

Shane P. Hallam
06-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Seeing conflicted reports. Orangebloods saying Big 12 will stick as a 10 team league, ESPN saying the move to Pac-10 is eminent.

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Seeing conflicted reports. Orangebloods saying Big 12 will stick as a 10 team league, ESPN saying the move to Pac-10 is eminent.

If you're a Big XII team not named Oklahoma or Texas, why would you want to stay in the Big XII if you can go to the PAC-10? You are being bent over on the current TV deal. It's the entire reason Colorado and Nebraska left and why Missouri wants out so badly.

iowatreat54
06-14-2010, 09:51 AM
So if the Big 12 stays at 10 teams, what do they do about divisions/championship game?

They would pretty much have to move to a 9 game conference schedule, so divisions would be kinda pointless. They could still have the top 2 teams rematch for a championship, but is there a rule you have to have 12 teams to have a championship game?

Losing the championship game would really hurt the Big 12 in that the Big XI is gaining one and it's really what has separated a Big 12 champion from others in the past. Others meaning non-SEC teams vying for a spot in the NCG.

Go Cowboys
06-14-2010, 10:02 AM
ESPN though saying it was imminent changed their stance on ESPN Dallas they are saying Texas A&M is backing away from SEC, also said Texas was standoff ish and saying the TV deal will in fact bring a Big 12 Network

I have heard they plan to invite two C-USA teams but not sure who

Go Cowboys
06-14-2010, 11:12 AM
They Just had a Breaking News Report on Sports Center saying that Texas will be staying in the Big 12.

JRTPlaya21
06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Well that is all according to "sources." Let's just wait until tomorrow for some official word.

Go Cowboys
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Well that is all according to "sources." Let's just wait until tomorrow for some official word.

Haha ya.... According to ESPN website sources are saying Texas is going to pac 10

ESPN needs to get their stuff straight.

Brent
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
if you report every thing you hear, eventually you'll be right?

still hoping A&M bails for the SEC

iowatreat54
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
So if the Big 12 stays at 10, what are the chances they add 2 of TCU/Utah/BYU, after the MWC just added Boise St. to help their argument of being a stronger conference?

If two of those teams bolt for the Big 12, the MWC will be relegated back to an outsider looking in again. There's no way that the MWC minus say TCU and Utah can be considered a BCS conference.

Brent
06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Rice and Houston come to mind

RealityCheck
06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I hope TAMU to SEC is true, I've been dying to see the SEC expand to Texas for some time.

Cigaro
06-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I want Texas to stay(or at least not join the Pac-11), but I also want TAMU to join the SEC. So not sure if I like this or not.

diabsoule
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM
ESPN though saying it was imminent changed their stance on ESPN Dallas they are saying Texas A&M is backing away from SEC, also said Texas was standoff ish and saying the TV deal will in fact bring a Big 12 Network

I have heard they plan to invite two C-USA teams but not sure who

I think Houston is a lock for Big 12 expansion back to 12 teams. Other teams could be Rice, SMU, Tulsa or maybe UTEP.

I would expect the Pac10 to continue looking to expand in order to add a championship game rather than staying at 11 members. A sort of keeping-up-with-the-Jones' mentality since every other BCS conference will have a championship game outside of the Big East.

And I do not think any MWC school will want to leave. It's just their mentality that they are building something great on their own. I could be very wrong, though.

Smooth Criminal
06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I hope the Big 12 does stay around. It'd be a shame to see them steal any quality teams from Mountain West after they just added Boise.

I'm guessing A&M would rather stay in a Big 12 than move to anywhere.

keylime_5
06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
If they get two mid-major teams then Houston and SMU would be ideal.

P-L
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
***RUMOR***

According to a poster on the Northwestern Rivals site with a contact inside the Big Ten office, the Big Ten and Texas are trying to work something out under the table. Apparently Texas doesn't want to go public until the rest of the teams in the Big XII find homes (Big Ten would take Missouri but they wouldn't take Oklahoma or Texas Tech under any circumstances).

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=143839427&mid=143839427&sid=901&style=2

He hasn't updated his information in a couple of days, after he was asked to stop posting this "leaked" information on the message board. I have no idea if it is true or not, but it is interesting nonetheless. It's no secret that the Big Ten covets Texas and they would be easily the most powerful conference in the country if they can get Texas, Missouri, Notre Dame, and one other team.

Also, the rumored new Big Ten logo if the conference expands to 16 teams is as follows:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Echiraagd/images/b16header.jpg

http://b16ten.org/

iowatreat54
06-14-2010, 04:13 PM
That is an awesome B16 Ten logo.

However, I'm sad I can no longer refer to the Big Ten as the Big XI. :(

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 04:15 PM
If Dan Beebe's insanely stupid plan of keeping the Big XII together by letting Texas have their own TV Network and keep every dime of it to themselves, I'd be surprised if they were willing to leave.

nrk
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
If you're a Big XII team not named Oklahoma or Texas, why would you want to stay in the Big XII if you can go to the PAC-10? You are being bent over on the current TV deal. It's the entire reason Colorado and Nebraska left and why Missouri wants out so badly.

The Big 12's current TV deal is about up, and there is only 10 teams to share the money between now.

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
The Big 12's current TV deal is about up, and there is only 10 teams to share the money between now.
Yes, Dan Beebe's current plan is to let Texas keep every dime they make on their proposed TV Network they want to themselves.

If I'm a Big XII team, I want out and I want out yesterday so I can get a bigger piece of the pot. No other conference has this kind of set up

And the pot is smaller without Nebraska and Colorado

iowatreat54
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
On the other hand, if Beebe is reporting/proposing it, it is likely to be the furthest thing from realistically happening.

But yea, I can't see Texas giving that up. Also, the part about Texas wanting to make sure the other schools have somewhere to go really doesn't sound like the Texas m.o. either.

nrk
06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Yes, Dan Beebe's current plan is to let Texas keep every dime they make on their proposed TV Network they want to themselves.

If I'm a Big XII team, I want out and I want out yesterday so I can get a bigger piece of the pot. No other conference has this kind of set up

I have no idea about what the new TV deal would be, just saying why schools would possibly stay.

diabsoule
06-14-2010, 05:33 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3468519

"In the last two days, Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe put together a television-contract proposal that would net each Big 12 school at least $14 million and as much as $20 million per year for heavyweights Texas and Oklahoma. Additionally, each school would be allowed to pursue its own network, which could reap even more money for the Sooners and Longhorns."

"The Big 12 is not expected to consider expansion. “Ten is all anyone wants at this point,” the Big 12 source. “There’s not a feeling of trepidation. This opens up some opportunities” non-conference."

TitanHope
06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Don't be foolish A&M. You have the option of making out like a bandit, or getting bent over. Not only will Texas continue to have a monopoly over the conference, but now with only 10 teams, they'll have no championship game. They'll be raking in marginably more money, and competing for BCS bowls year in and year out now that the conference is weaker.

Aggies should be in the streets at College Station rallying with "SEC!" chants. They all want to move to the SEC as well.

jayceheathman
06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
ESPN mentioned that Texas and Texas A&M are staying in the Big 12 because of a 20-25 million dollar a year deal.

RealityCheck
06-14-2010, 06:33 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/awusua.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the Pac-15 is coming.

Or not.

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
ESPN mentioned that Texas and Texas A&M are staying in the Big 12 because of a 20-25 million dollar a year deal.

A&M wouldn't make that much money. Only Texas would because of the profitability of their own network.

bwillie26
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Texas, A&M, and OU just told the rest of the B12 to bend over and take it .. not only were the rest of the members happy to do it, but they raw dogged it.

That's basically an explanation of what happened today.

diabsoule
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
I think the 7 teams outside of UT, OU, and TAMU got bent over. I really hate the idea of a conference not having a championship game.

RealityCheck
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
I still think this is all a smokescreen, and we'll see Pac-10 badges all over UT's campus sometime next week.

mellojello
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I was pretty dissappointed to hear the news that Texas, Ok, Ok. st. etc. weren't coming to the Pac 10. I really think it would have made for some great football. Being a Cal fan, I can't say I've been too fond of Texas since Mack Brown boxed us out of our Rose Bowl opportunity and Texas Tech added insult to injury by running up the score on us, but after reading some comments like these (http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/65735-Is-anybody-else-just-indifferent-at-this-point), I've got a new respect for Texas fans.

mellojello
06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
My favorite post from a Texas fan from that site: I was indifferent, but now I'm pissed, too. After all the dust settles, going to the Pac-10 would be the best idea by far. Anything else wouldn't even be close to initiating a new era of glory for UT. ******* epic football games; the baseball would be out of this ******* world, basketball would still be good with the Pac-10 recently really getting on the map (Cal, UW, Ore, etc.).

In the "we didn't start it but we'll finish it" realm, that's how I feel. At first I was delighted to see Dodds and co. jockey for self protection, and I thought they pulled out a true gem with the realignment to the Pac 10. Once I got used to this idea, I ******* loved it. It is, was, and will be BY ******* FAR the best thing in almost every aspect, including revenue.

Now today I hear it's all just a clusterfuck over TV revenues, really isn't much to do with the fanbase, and will result in perhaps ******* ourselves in an even weaker piece of **** Big 12. Oh goody, we get more TV money, and run the block again. But it's a ******* decrepid block full of crack whores. I'm still a-waitin' to see how this HUGE Big 12 package will shake out, considering that most networks wouldn't touch half the Big 12 matchups with an AIDS-infested dick.

And to top it off, we are (were, whatever the ****) on the verge of losing aggy for nearly good, only to find they've jumped back into this dysfunctional trailer with us again. ****, **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still hold out hope for the Pac 10. If so, jeezuz I will spend more money on travel than a drunken ***** on rubbers. But if not, all we have to look forward to are more absoutlely ******* ****** home games (jeezuz I'm tired of trying to pump up our opponents' skills... outside of OU they ALL suck, KSU a glaring exception, too).

******* dangle a golden carrot of Pac-10 and it turns into a Big (10) 12 whatever the **** even more lame turd.

******* Longhorn network... **** that, too. That's the cause of this ********.

OK, I'm a little "not" indifferent...

dannyz
06-15-2010, 01:45 AM
***RUMOR***

According to a poster on the Northwestern Rivals site with a contact inside the Big Ten office, the Big Ten and Texas are trying to work something out under the table. Apparently Texas doesn't want to go public until the rest of the teams in the Big XII find homes (Big Ten would take Missouri but they wouldn't take Oklahoma or Texas Tech under any circumstances).

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=143839427&mid=143839427&sid=901&style=2

He hasn't updated his information in a couple of days, after he was asked to stop posting this "leaked" information on the message board. I have no idea if it is true or not, but it is interesting nonetheless. It's no secret that the Big Ten covets Texas and they would be easily the most powerful conference in the country if they can get Texas, Missouri, Notre Dame, and one other team.

Also, the rumored new Big Ten logo if the conference expands to 16 teams is as follows:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Echiraagd/images/b16header.jpg

http://b16ten.org/

If this is real that would be crazy. The B16 would challenge the SEC to be the best Conference. The Pac 10 looks not so smart now since they can't get Boise.

TitanHope
06-15-2010, 03:23 AM
So, basically, everyone just "lost" in this entire thing in the last 12 hours. Am I understanding that right? At least from a fan perspective.

(Aside from Mizzou, Kansas, Baylor, etc., who have to be thanking their lucky stars.)

onejayhawk
06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Sitting in Texas, I can say that the idea of UT in the Pacc 10 was not well received. Playing the Arizona schools, USC and UCLA was fine, but the idea of having annual trips to Oregon and Washington--not good. There was a substantial amount of pressure brought through the state legislature as well. Kansas probably would have done well. The Big East was reportedly interested. Missouri or Kansas State as well.

What next?

As it stands, Baylor may not be the only private school much longer. Asking TCU to join makes way too much sense. Back when the Big XII formed, TCU was ticked at not getting an invite, when Baylor did. The Big XII is a BCS conference, and the Mountain West might become one.

After that, Air Force or BYU?

J

Shane P. Hallam
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Sitting in Texas, I can say that the idea of UT in the Pacc 10 was not well received. Playing the Arizona schools, USC and UCLA was fine, but the idea of having annual trips to Oregon and Washington--not good. There was a substantial amount of pressure brought through the state legislature as well. Kansas probably would have done well. The Big East was reportedly interested. Missouri or Kansas State as well.

What next?

As it stands, Baylor may not be the only private school much longer. Asking TCU to join makes way too much sense. Back when the Big XII formed, TCU was ticked at not getting an invite, when Baylor did. The Big XII is a BCS conference, and the Mountain West might become one.

After that, Air Force or BYU?

J

TCU and Baylor have some bad blood. TCU won't join with Baylor in the conference. I still am suspicious of all of this. A 10 team Big 12? Seems like too much of a step back for the teams around Texas. I guess we'll see.

Brent
06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I ******* wanted to join the SEC so much. Oh goodie, we get to continue playing UT/OU with the promise of making as much TV money. Oh, right, that's all any of this is about. I think the SEC revenue would have been $17.4mm or so; I guess the promise of $20-25 is too much to pass up. I'd much rather the Ags were in the SEC. This sucks.

This was on TexAgs.com yesterday and I have to agree wholeheartedly:

In my opinion, this is pretty simple and the Ags could play this perfectly if they wait. That's it. Wait. Texas overplayed its hand early and is now trying to commandeer saving the Big 12. They could very well pull it off. If they do, the credit should go to A&M. After all, it was A&M NOT Texas still trying to preserve the league when officials from both schools met in Austin on Thursday.

If Texas announces something today in regards to trying to keep the Big 12 together, A&M should wait. Regroup and come to the decision that is the ABSOLUTE BEST for A&M. Not the politically correct or popular move. What's BEST for Texas A&M and Texas A&M athletics moving forward. That is NOT a decision that needs to be made today.

What is the Big 12 going to do? Pressure A&M into jumping in at the same time with everyone? Are you kidding me? The Ags hold the cards here, not Texas, not anyone else. This is a power move by the Horns, a pressure play if ever there was one. Even if the Ags do decide the Big 12 is the best bet, they can take their time with this thing and not be pressured. The Big 12 isn't going anywhere and, even if it did, A&M would have this neat little conference called the SEC to fall back on.

The irony of Texas' latest play could be that it actually takes some of the pressure OFF of A&M, at least in terms of a timetable.

The Aggies haven't had one but TWO meetings with SEC officials over the past two weeks and came away VERY impressed. However, under no circumstances did the A&M decision-makers want to be forced to choose the SEC because the Pac-10 offer wasn't available. The goal was ALWAYS to make the best choice for Texas A&M University...not the one they HAD to make.

That, my friends, is what makes the concept that A&M turned down the Pac-10 yesterday so incredibly laughable. In light of what's happened today and late last night, don't you think a deal would have been done almost immediately after telling the Pac-10 no? Or before even?

Just wait and make the right decision. Leave no doubt.

thenewfeature06
06-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I ******* wanted to join the SEC so much. Oh goodie, we get to continue playing UT/OU with the promise of making as much TV money. Oh, right, that's all any of this is about. I think the SEC revenue would have been $17.4mm or so; I guess the promise of $20-25 is too much to pass up. I'd much rather the Ags were in the SEC. This sucks.

Why do you want to join the SEC?

It is really going to be any different where you guys finish in the standings haha. Still a bowl game every year though..

diabsoule
06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/15/texas.big.12/index.html?eref=sihp

The article by Andy Staples outlines the reasons why the Big 12 stayed together and includes a copy of the document sent by Dan Beebe to all of the school presidents.

keylime_5
06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
It'll be ridiculous if the BXII and the B10 don't add anymore teams and then still call themselves the BXII and B10. The B10 will have 12 teams and the BXII will have 10. CFB makes a ton of sense doesn't it?

Michigan
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM

It is really going to be any different where you guys finish in the standings haha. Still a bowl game every year though..

I don't know the details of the upcoming Big XII TV deal, but SEC teams generate much more revenue in football and geographically A&M is easily the closest Big XII team to SEC country.

Only argument against A&M moving to the SEC would be academics. Outside of Vanderbilt and Florida (sort of), the SEC is full of **** schools.

HindSight
06-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I want to know where this money for the new Big12 TV deal is going to come from.

I also want to know who outside of Texas is going to watch the Bevo Network.....and even inside Texas who is going to care when it's not a live game. I watch the BTN for live OSU games and for replays of classic OSU wins.....that's it. I don't care about the Diving/Tennis/Softball/Baseball/Whatever else they have....or when they show university programming that isn't even related to sports. I'm sure people will watch it for Texas football, basketball, and baseball games..........what about the other 20 hours a day?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
So with this new expansion and Texas,OU,OSU,A&M staying put

The Big 12 will have 10 teams and the Big 10 will have 12 teams and the Pac 10 has 11.

HindSight
06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
So apparently the non-Texas/Oklahoma/A&M schools that are sticking with the Big12 have agreed to give the money they would have gotten from Colorado and Nebraska (the penalty for leaving the conference) to Texas/Oklahoma/A&M.

Why would they agree to this? This conference is even more fragile now than it was before Nebraska and Colorado left. They can't possibly think this is going to last.

wonderbredd24
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
So apparently the non-Texas/Oklahoma/A&M schools that are sticking with the Big12 have agreed to give the money they would have gotten from Colorado and Nebraska (the penalty for leaving the conference) to Texas/Oklahoma/A&M.

Why would they agree to this? This conference is even more fragile now than it was before Nebraska and Colorado left. They can't possibly think this is going to last.
Apparently the possibility of homelessness has given them the idea to give Texas everything and then some.

They aren't going to have a Championship game. Who is happiest about that? Texas and Oklahoma.

diabsoule
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
This just seems like a temporary settlement for the Big XII.

HindSight
06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
This just seems like a temporary settlement for the Big XII.
Exactly. I'll be shocked if this lasts very long at all.

dannyz
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Texas needs to be stopped.

HindSight
06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Texas needs to be stopped.
I'm almost in favor of the BigTen offering Missouri a spot just to screw these plans up.

wonderbredd24
06-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm almost in favor of the BigTen offering Missouri a spot just to screw these plans up.

I don't buy the idea that Missouri is off the table. What I do believe is that Jim Delaney, who is brilliant, is willing to wait for Notre Dame to join before bringing Missouri into the fold. It's eventually going to happen one way or the other.

GB12
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
The Big Ten already got to twelve. There's no reason to expand any further unless it's to add a big time program. I don't want to add a Missouri or a Pittsburgh unless it comes along with Texas or Notre Dame.

wonderbredd24
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
The Big Ten already got to twelve. There's no reason to expand any further unless it's to add a big time program. I don't want to add a Missouri or a Pittsburgh unless it comes along with Texas or Notre Dame.
Meh to Pittsburgh. The Big East can keep the Wannstache

HindSight
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't buy the idea that Missouri is off the table. What I do believe is that Jim Delaney, who is brilliant, is willing to wait for Notre Dame to join before bringing Missouri into the fold. It's eventually going to happen one way or the other.
If they want to offer Missouri, it will have to be before they sign this ridiculous contract. Not that Missouri is some big prize....but screwing up ESPN's/Texas' plans might be worth it :D

Smooth Criminal
06-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Missouri would be nice program to add, but I doubt the Big Ten wants 13 members. I doubt they'll take anyone other than Notre Dame at this point.

HindSight
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Well yeah.....I'm not saying they'd stop at Missouri. That would just be to screw the mini Big12/ESPN.

Brent
06-15-2010, 04:26 PM

1) more money.
2) something to use in the recruiting game, what other Texas school can offer kids a chance to play in the SEC?
3) more prestigious conference.
4) I'm looking at this for more than just football, I am considering the other sports we offer as well.

Pitt has amazing academics, which seems to be a trend at all the Big Ten schools.

soybean
06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
This has probably already been said in the past couple pages but the Big XII really panicked on this one.

I cannot for the life of me believe they agreed to give Texas full proceeds from their supposed TV deal.

This will only widen the gap between Texas and the other Big 12 schools. Texas didn't only luck out in this case within the big 12 but they will soon be the favorites to win the BCS every...single...year...

onejayhawk
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
This has probably already been said in the past couple pages but the Big XII really panicked on this one.

I cannot for the life of me believe they agreed to give Texas full proceeds from their supposed TV deal.

This will only widen the gap between Texas and the other Big 12 schools. Texas didn't only luck out in this case within the big 12 but they will soon be the favorites to win the BCS every...single...year...

This is essencially the deal the Yankees have with MLB. The Yankees revenue share on national TV, but keep the local cable rights.

Its not like the Yankees have bought their way to... Oh.

J

GB12
06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
That is not the same at all. Each MLB team has their own TV deal.

iowatreat54
06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Not to mention the AL East, AL Central, etc., let alone the American League, don't independently negotiate contracts or solely benefit from revenue streams.

That would be like if revenues were divided between the NCAA and individual teams, where the conferences were just for name only. There would be no BTN, it would be NCAANetwork and OSUNetwork, TexasNetwork, USCNetwork, etc.

Brent
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2012126691_pac16.html

Utah invited to Pac 10(12?)

LizardState
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Uhh, yes & no. Mizzou will be making a move next yr. probably Big 10. I'm thinking this whole drama will continue next offseason, when the US economy improves & programs will be looking fwd. to increased revenues.

Utah will be the prime mover now. The Utes deserve the bigtime, they've come up from obscurity more than any other Mtn. West or WAC team not named Boise St. & thx to Brent for the prediction article link. Update: No Utah announcement yet from ESPN today as we were told would be forthcoming; here's the latest about the Utes as the 12th member of the new Pac 12 with a Friday announcement now :

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5293329

California is the most populous state & a recruting Promised Land for its own schools as well as other neighboring programs, the new Pac 12 membership will boost more recruiting by the Buffaloes & the Utes in the Golden State's population centers as well as the huge CA Juco system.

No about ND going anywhere, independents don't have to share bowl $, & no indy team has a unique national appeal like ND who recruits the whole country.

There was just too much sparsely populated wasteland real estate between Texas & the mega-market of the West Coast TV revenue to make it viable for them, so they stayed put........ for now. Turns out he penalty fees from Colorado & Nebraska departing will be split up only between Texas, Oklahoma & TAMU, they just screwed the Little 5 conference members..... again.

Go Cowboys
06-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Espn expects Utah to announce the move by Friday.

Does this mean the MWC loses it's shot at a BCS bid?

Mr.Regular
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
So the Pac-10 seems set (for now) at 12.
The Big 10 seems set (for now) at 12.
Ditto for the SEC and ACC.
Will the Big 12 stay pat at their reformed 10 teams? Or are they looking to add 2 more as well? Does their new reported tv deal mesh with the idea of 2 more teams?

Smooth Criminal
06-16-2010, 02:41 PM
That's my guess. It'll be a shame for all those teams if they can't get a bid after Boise joined.

Now that the Big 12 is staying around the MWC could get further raided to get the Big 12 back to 12 teams. They're going to have to find a way to keep their current 10 teams from leaving and pick two more up. Replacing Colorado isn't going to be hard, but Nebraska was a strong program for them.

diabsoule
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh ****! I really hope Utah doesn't leave the Mountain West. That would really hurt their chances of receiving a BCS bid, would place them in a different conference from BYU for the first time since 1918, tear away one of the founding members of the MWC, take one of the best teams away from that conference, etc...

All the signs point to Utah leaving. Ugh. This sucks.

HindSight
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
So the Pac-10 seems set (for now) at 12.
The Big 10 seems set (for now) at 12.
Ditto for the SEC and ACC.
Will the Big 12 stay pat at their reformed 10 teams? Or are they looking to add 2 more as well? Does their new reported tv deal mesh with the idea of 2 more teams?
I don't think anything is set.....I think the players were tired of their game being played in the open forum.

Michigan
06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
There goes the MWC's chance for an automatic BCS bid. Utah's their best football program, and I can't see Boise State fulfilling that void.

diabsoule
06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
There goes the MWC's chance for an automatic BCS bid. Utah's their best football program, and I can't see Boise State fulfilling that void.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. This move really hurts the MWC and might ultimately lead to its downfall if conferences feel like they must expand to stay competitive.

Brent
06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, TCU didn't want Baylor in the Big 12 because TCU was excluded from the Big 12 during its formation, thanks to a ******* Baylor alum being governor. Maybe TCU will accept an invite to the Big 12?

LizardState
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, TCU didn't want Baylor in the Big 12 because TCU was excluded from the Big 12 during its formation, thanks to a ******* Baylor alum being governor. Maybe TCU will accept an invite to the Big 12?

Big ding-ding-ding winnah for Brent here, TCU staying in a Texas conference like he Big, uhhh, 11 (?) is entirely predictable as the easternmost member of the Mtn. West. And it wouldn't affect their recruiting at all, as they do the best recruiting of any private school in the region.

diabsoule
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM

I was thinking that as well. I think the time is right for the Big XII to expand back to 12 teams with potential candidates being TCU, BYU, Houston, and SMU.

iowatreat54
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
And in a matter of weeks, MWC fans go from jubilation of undeniably being a BCS conference, to possible fear of being even more irrelevant than before.

I love college football.

I think TCU has to be one of the teams the Big 12 looks to take, with the other being Houston/SMU. Depending on how Texas feels, and whether or not they don't want any more Texas schools or want as much kept in Texas as possible.

RealityCheck
06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
UNT to the Big XII!!!!!!!!

http://www.thewizofodds.com/.a/6a00e553e551d18834010534df4590970b-300wi

diabsoule
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
And in a matter of weeks, MWC fans go from jubilation of undeniably being a BCS conference, to possible fear of being even more irrelevant than before.

I love college football.

I think TCU has to be one of the teams the Big 12 looks to take, with the other being Houston/SMU. Depending on how Texas feels, and whether or not they don't want any more Texas schools or want as much kept in Texas as possible.

Adding TCU seems to be a no-brainer due to their academics and success in collegiate athletics which would give the Big XII five Texas schools. The addition of SMU or Houston might be too much, especially SMU which does not offer much in terms of athletics. Houston would be a good addition as would BYU.

In regards to the Mountain West... If TCU leaves, which I think now there is a good chance, then that would push them down to 8 teams with the possibility of going down to 7 depending on if BYU is extending an invite by the Big XII. If they go down to 7, I see them expanding and invited the best of the rest from the WAC/C-USA West. Teams like Fresno State, Nevada, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP and Rice. It would more than likely be in the best interest of the MWC to expand to 12 members if two members leave. If TCU or BYU leave the conference then the chances diminish entirely of the Mountain West becoming a BCS conference, if both leave then the conference loses almost all of its punch.

As it stands right now, the Mountain West will be weaker with Utah departing but there is still hope of obtaining a BCS bid. If the Big XII decides to make a move to expand (which they should, in my opinion), then TCU first and foremost is the best choice available. Just a week ago the Mountain West stood on the cusp of becoming the next BCS conference, now they face a very real possibility of having two to three of their best teams leave. If that does happen, and the MWC shrinks down to 7 teams, then their only hope is to become the most competitive non-BCS conference, which they are right now.

Brent
06-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Dan Beebe said in today's Dallas Morning News that the Big XII will not look to expand and instead revert to the 9 conference game style of play.

Lame.

UNT to the Big XII!!!!!!!!
This made me laugh, because I have been to Denton so many times and know so many people who go there. Those students dont give a **** about the football team.

diabsoule
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Dan Beebe said in today's Dallas Morning News that the Big XII will not look to expand and instead revert to the 9 conference game style of play.

Lame.

This, along with the agreed upon arrangement by the new Big XII, will lead to its eventual downfall.

LonghornsLegend
06-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I've been saying all along I wanted to see TCU and Houston both in the Big XII, but unless you want them in the North which geographically has only had teams up North in it, you would have to realign to an East/West which is what I've wanted all along.

If you want to keep Texas/OU in the same division fine, but how about putting some talented teams on the other side? I still think it could be a big time conference if you put those two on seperate sides, East and West, because a potential championship game between the two could be epic. With the set up now you NEVER get to see that matchup which is pretty stupid considering how long Texas and OU have both had the top 2 teams in the Big XII. Yet we force a team from the North to play who for the most part has been the 3rd, or 4th, some years 5th best team in the entire conference, it's time for a shake up.

Then again if we want to go the route of the Big 10, keep 10 teams, with no conference championship I'm fine with that too. It's not like that game has ever helped anyone catapult in the standings to a NC game(from what I remember), it's only had chances of hurting teams. I still have nightmares from the game ******* Chris Simms blew a prime chance at a NC game vs the Buffs. So yea, nobody would be upset to see that go.

I'm all for bringing in TCU and Houston, just realign the damn division, the way it's set up now is just stupid.

diabsoule
06-16-2010, 09:11 PM
TCU and Houston would be two great choices for the Big XII and I think the best choice for the future of the Big XII to survive as a conference is to expand back to 12 teams.

If those two schools are added you could do a Texas vs. The North alignment.

Texas
Baylor
Houston
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Texas Tech

North
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Brent
06-16-2010, 09:15 PM
I still have nightmares from the game ******* Chris Simms blew a prime chance at a NC game vs the Buffs. So yea, nobody would be upset to see that go.
What? He didn't "blow" that game, UT got beat. When UT is giving up 39 points, they arent going to win a lot of games.

I look at 2003, when K-State beat OU to a pulp, and can't help but think that the championship game is awesome. Of course someone like Mac Brown says that it's unfortunate to see a team headed to the NC and then not get it because of their performance in the Big XII championship, because he's been a victim of that twice.

sbh15
06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
you could argue that uf got into the nc against osu over michigan because of the SEC conference championship game against arkansas.

wonderbredd24
06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I think Texas doesn't want to go to 12 teams. I think they'd much rather stick with 10 and eliminate the double jeopardy of a Championship game and since Texas has gotten everything it wants so far and then some, no reason to think it won't get this as well

wonderbredd24
06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Then again if we want to go the route of the Big 10, keep 10 teams, with no conference championship I'm fine with that too. It's not like that game has ever helped anyone catapult in the standings to a NC game(from what I remember), it's only had chances of hurting teams. I still have nightmares from the game ******* Chris Simms blew a prime chance at a NC game vs the Buffs. So yea, nobody would be upset to see that go.
Did you really need to see him implode in the National Championship? No ******* way he was gonna lead them to a win.

onejayhawk
06-17-2010, 06:52 AM
I think Texas doesn't want to go to 12 teams. I think they'd much rather stick with 10 and eliminate the double jeopardy of a Championship game and since Texas has gotten everything it wants so far and then some, no reason to think it won't get this as well
With the amount of money involved in the Big XII ChampionshiP? No way.

As to all those that are saying that The Big XII plays with 10, I say that they are serving up deniability, if needed. I expect TCU to get an invite, and possibly Air Force or BYU. Then the ranks would be

South:
UT
A&M
TT
Baylor
OU
TCU

North:
KU
KSU
ISU
Mizzou
OSU
USAFA or BYU

Oklahoma State gets stuck in the north to preserve the State Fair game.

J

Brent
06-17-2010, 07:37 AM
and possibly Air Force or BYU
AFA does not command the following they needed to be a sustainable member of the Big XII.

I really dont think they Big XII expands for the foreseeable future. In the end, UT got what they wanted and the rest of the league laid down for them. It's pretty upsetting to me. **** Bill Byrne.

onejayhawk
06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
AFA does not command the following they needed to be a sustainable member of the Big XII.

I really dont think they Big XII expands for the foreseeable future. In the end, UT got what they wanted and the rest of the league laid down for them. It's pretty upsetting to me. **** Bill Byrne.

I do expect them to offer for TCU.

As to the rest, I cannot argue with that.

J

RealityCheck
06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
So, Utes to Pac-10 is a done deal?

Brent
06-17-2010, 04:41 PM
So, Utes to Pac-10 is a done deal?
why would they turn down that invite?

RealityCheck
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
why would they turn down that invite?
I know they wouldn't be crazy enough to decline, but I'm asking if this is official.

diabsoule
06-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, Utah to the Pac10 is official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5298238

LonghornsLegend
06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
TCU and Houston would be two great choices for the Big XII and I think the best choice for the future of the Big XII to survive as a conference is to expand back to 12 teams.

If those two schools are added you could do a Texas vs. The North alignment.

Texas
Baylor
Houston
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Texas Tech

North
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

I would really really like this idea, I've never seen it broken down that way, probably won't happen but I'd be very much in favor of this. Would get to see some epic Big XII championship matches, and TCU & Houston have been getting better and better as of recent. Going to a bigger conference would help their recruiting out.

What? He didn't "blow" that game, UT got beat. When UT is giving up 39 points, they arent going to win a lot of games.

I look at 2003, when K-State beat OU to a pulp, and can't help but think that the championship game is awesome. Of course someone like Mac Brown says that it's unfortunate to see a team headed to the NC and then not get it because of their performance in the Big XII championship, because he's been a victim of that twice.

Lol, did you watch or remember that game? Simms played like a tool, there was a reason Major Applewhite had to come in and relief him, and there was a reason that once that happened we started putting together a fierce comeback. Alot of those points were a direct result of Simms incompetence, it was a pathetic performance if I've ever seen one. Of course it wasn't an elite defense that could keep us in games, but Simms was giving up TD's and giving them the ball in their territory the entire time he was in the game.

Now as far as the game screwing people over, yea it's happened to Texas more obviously so of course Mack feels that way, can't blame him. My point is that, how often has the Big XII championship catapulted a Big XII team into the NC game when they were on the outside looking in before? I know it's happened in the SEC and such, but I don't remember too many instances in this conference, if they are out there I'd truly love to know, not to say it's never happened I just don't remember it.

So yea, I can see why there fun to have due to upsets, but the big schools who run conferences would always vote to not have them, and smaller underdog schools would always want them, that's no secret.

Did you really need to see him implode in the National Championship? No ******* way he was gonna lead them to a win.

True, but I would of had more pride about an ass whooping in the NC, losing to the ******* Buffs hurt like no other.