PDA

View Full Version : How Fast Is Julio Jones?

Texas Homer
06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
How fast is Jones?

Is there a solid comparison for Jones to an NFL player?

I noticed his listed size is identical to Keyshawn Johnson's.

I know the 2011 draft is a long way off, but is he almost a top 15 lock if comes out after next season?

I also would like to mention that from watching Alabama play last season that Jones is a devastating blocker at WR (imo).

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Definitely not a Top 15 lock and to me, he's the worst of the big 4 receivers.

Yay for blocking

EvilNixon
06-13-2010, 12:11 PM
He's got so much potential. I only like Baldwin more.

stephenson86
06-13-2010, 12:11 PM
he reminds me of a poor mans calvin johnson

K Train
06-13-2010, 12:12 PM
hes the best or the worst of the big 3 or 4 depending who you ask.

hes my #1 personally, i think he has a bounce back season this year. the ****** QB, run offense and having no threats across from him was devastating to his stats last year. im not convinced baldwin is firmly in the conversation just yet. i got jones, green and floyd as 123 and baldwin 4

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 12:18 PM
hes the best or the worst of the big 3 or 4 depending who you ask.

hes my #1 personally, i think he has a bounce back season this year. the ****** QB, run offense and having no threats across from him was devastating to his stats last year. im not convinced baldwin is firmly in the conversation just yet. i got jones, green and floyd as 123 and baldwin 4
They had one of the best rushing offenses in the nation forcing teams to load the box to stop them. This gave Julio Jones plenty of 1 on 1 matchups that he just didn't exploit. He has trouble getting open.

The idea that he's behind AJ Green is just baffling to me.

Just ask Patrick Peterson... he said AJ Green is the toughest guy he has played against as well

K Train
06-13-2010, 12:20 PM
i think as a pro prospect jones is better than green, as a college player right now green dominates but jones skill set is far superior imo. he no doubt has to put it all together but i think he will

LonghornsLegend
06-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Even if he was the worst of the big 4, that's still a top 20 pick in a very strong draft class.

I still really like Julio, he has some work to do to his game, but I could still place Baldwin in front of him right now the more film I watch which isn't a bad thing, because Baldwin looks alot more fluid most times.

Julio still has potential to be better and it depends on what he does this season, he could be anything from a Terrell Owens to as what somebody said before Reggie Williams.

I know everyone is in love with AJ Green and I like him to, but he's a superb deep threat who has exceptional ball skills, but I don't know if he is complete in terms of what everything a #1 WR does. Then again, if your exceptional at that one thing, ie Randy Moss or DeSean Jackson it doesn't really matter.

Still, Jonathan Baldwin's ball skills are right up there with AJ Green.

Duffman57
06-13-2010, 12:25 PM
i think as a pro prospect jones is better than green, as a college player right now green dominates but jones skill set is far superior imo. he no doubt has to put it all together but i think he will

Pretty much what i was gonna say.

Jones is a mid 4.4 guy and at 6'4" 215 thats pretty dam good. Jones is simply a freak athletically. He hasn't really performed well because his hands have been a little inconsistant, but if he can sure that up, then i think he should be fine.

And just cuz i can and i will take any shot i have to i will post some of my favorite pictures of him...here they are. haha

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/jatebe/JulioJonescatch.jpg

and

http://blog.al.com/tidecorner/2008/08/medium_julio-jump.jpg

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
What makes his skill set superior?

descendency
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
If he produces like a #1 should this year, I'll move him back to the top 3 (WRs). Right now, he's heading out of that even. This is a very very very deep WR class this year.

Julio Jones has no production in an offense where he should be making big plays.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Even if he was the worst of the big 4, that's still a top 20 pick in a very strong draft class.

I still really like Julio, he has some work to do to his game, but I could still place Baldwin in front of him right now the more film I watch which isn't a bad thing, because Baldwin looks alot more fluid most times.

Julio still has potential to be better and it depends on what he does this season, he could be anything from a Terrell Owens to as what somebody said before Reggie Williams.

I know everyone is in love with AJ Green and I like him to, but he's a superb deep threat who has exceptional ball skills, but I don't know if he is complete in terms of what everything a #1 WR does. Then again, if your exceptional at that one thing, ie Randy Moss or DeSean Jackson it doesn't really matter.

Still, Jonathan Baldwin's ball skills are right up there with AJ Green.
Jones's hands aren't consistent and he has horrid technique on his route running, so he struggles to get open.

What doesn't AJ Green do?

Texas Homer
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
For the record I like both Green and Jones. I think Green is the more talented prospect though.

thenewfeature06
06-13-2010, 12:35 PM
AJ Green has drawn comparisons to Randy Moss...

Solid comparison imo.

K Train
06-13-2010, 12:40 PM
What makes his skill set superior?

physically hes a freak, i like green dont get me wrong...i think hes a hell of a player but if jones tunes up his game he will be the best wr prospect since calvin imo.

hes going to blow up the combine and be compared to calvin and vernon davis as far as athletes go.

the funny thing is out of all of them my draft crush is floyd lol

TACKLE
06-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Reggie Williams 2.0

I don't know why people are blaming Greg McElroy for Julio's inability to get separation against good corners. He is not very quick in a out of his routes. He disappears when he's challenged by top CB's. People make excuses for his lack of effectiveness last year but the reality is, on the field and guys like AJ Green and Michael Floyd are clearly more impressive. I don't see how someone could even dispute that. His physical abilities don't really shine through on the field. He doesn't play anywhere near a 4.4. He has good long speed but rarely displays a burst or short area quickness. He is a physical possession WR strong hands but will struggle to separate. That's what he is at Bama and that's what he'll be in the NFL.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
physically hes a freak, i like green dont get me wrong...i think hes a hell of a player but if jones tunes up his game he will be the best wr prospect since calvin imo.

hes going to blow up the combine and be compared to calvin and vernon davis as far as athletes go.

the funny thing is out of all of them my draft crush is floyd lol

Jones is listed at 6'4" and around 211lbs
Green is listed at 6'4" and around 207lbs

I doubt Jones is much faster than Green if at all. And basically when it comes to being a receiver, AJ Green is better across the board.

I'll take AJ Green followed by Michael Floyd and then Jonathan Baldwin.

K Train
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Jones is listed at 6'4" and around 211lbs
Green is listed at 6'4" and around 207lbs

I doubt Jones is much faster than Green if at all. And basically when it comes to being a receiver, AJ Green is better across the board.

I'll take AJ Green followed by Michael Floyd and then Jonathan Baldwin.

like i said hes the best or the 4th best depending on who you ask, personally im still on board

JFLO
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Green is the clear cut #1 receiver in the class if you ask me, followed by Baldwin, Jones then Floyd.

The knock on Jones, for me at least, is just his overall lack of polish. I don't like people giving McElroy crap because McElroy isn't that bad of a quarterback at all. He has great mechanics and is the most patient quarterback in the SEC.

His hands are inconsistent, he doesn't necessarily fight for ball when he's one on one with a DB and his effort overall just seems to be lacking. I think what the problem is, is that the game has just come so easy and natural to Jones throughout high school and his first year at Tuscaloosa. Now that SEC coaches knew what kind of force he could be, they started adjusting for him, but he didn't adjust to them, if that makes any sense.

Green knows how to find the soft spots in defenses and probably has 5x the technical skills and route running ability that Jones has or may ever have.

But I think some people have to remember that he plays in an offense that runs the ball 70-75% of the time and he was "plagued" with a bone bruise in his knee for the majority of the season.

Still, just watching him in games, it just seems he has a lot more to do to be a Top 10-15 pick.

EDIT:

To answer the purpose of the thread, my assumption is that when he is fully healthy, Jones would run somewhere in the 4.43 - 4.49 range.

Texas Homer
06-13-2010, 01:23 PM
To answer the purpose of the thread, my assumption is that when he is fully healthy, Jones would run somewhere in the 4.43 - 4.49 range.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. It may not be a 4.3, but 4.4 is still really moving for a WR his size.

keylime_5
06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
I've always likened Green and Jones to Moss and TO respecitvely since they were high school seniors in terms of their skillsets. I like Green a bit more, though Jones has the talent to be an elite WR prospect coming out of college. Both guys' production was hurt in their sophomore years b/c of new, younger starting QBs.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I've always likened Green and Jones to Moss and TO respecitvely since they were high school seniors in terms of their skillsets. I like Green a bit more, though Jones has the talent to be an elite WR prospect coming out of college. Both guys' production was hurt in their sophomore years b/c of new, younger starting QBs.

AJ Green was more productive and received a higher percentage of completed passes despite missing 3 games with ****** Joe Cox, while Julio Jones was less productive and caught a lower percentage of completed passes from a pretty damn good Greg McElroy.

Everything was working in Jones' favor and he spit the bit so to speak

bce
06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Baldwins the best. He was more productive than all, makes more spectacular catches, makes more big plays, is tougher physically and mentally. I like jones #2, floyd #3, but travis benjamin is nipping at both the heels of jones and floyd. Aj green im not liking much at all. Aj greens showing traits of the dreaded B word. Ive seen a lot of alligator arms from aj green and a lot of nagging minor injuries.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Baldwins the best. He was more productive than all, makes more spectacular catches, makes more big plays, is tougher physically and mentally. I like jones #2, floyd #3, but travis benjamin is nipping at both the heels of jones and floyd. Aj green im not liking much at all. Aj greens showing traits of the dreaded B word. Ive seen a lot of alligator arms from aj green and a lot of nagging minor injuries.
That settles it. Green is the best

FUNBUNCHER
06-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know where people are getting that Jones can run a sub 4.5 40. Even as a top prep WR, the knock on him, if you can call it that, was his lack of top end speed.

IMO he will be lucky to break 4.6, but he might have a 40+ inch vert, which is very impressive!!

Julio Jones needs a big season in 2010 to solidify himself in the 1st round.

bce
06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Good luck betting against me.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Good luck betting against me.

Considering you've got Jake Locker with Dan LeFevour-esque physical ability, think Max Starks is the best left tackle in the AFC North and that Joe Thomas is the worst, and now that AJ Green is the 4th or 5th best WR in the class, I think I'm gonna do alright

bce
06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
My proof is in the pudding. Wheres yours.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
My proof is in the pudding. Wheres yours.

Making statements and then saying that doesn't mean you've provided any proof. Have you provided any evidence for any of the bat **** nuts stuff you've been saying?

For example, you said Joe Thomas can't run block.

Point: The Browns had 2,000+ rushing yards last year

Counterpoint?

bce
06-13-2010, 04:13 PM
They also went 6 consecutive games without scoring an offensive touchdown during joe thomas "dominant" run. Their ypc average was 4.2 same as the pittsburgh steelers who supposedly 'struggled" in the run game.

bce
06-13-2010, 04:14 PM
but thats for another forum

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 04:18 PM
They also went 6 consecutive games without scoring an offensive touchdown during joe thomas "dominant" run. Their ypc average was 4.2 same as the pittsburgh steelers who supposedly 'struggled" in the run game.
You're blaming the left tackle for the offense's inability to score points? He did his job. The quarterback play was abysmal, despite fantastic pass blocking at least from him, although the right side was horrendous.

The fact the Browns were able to run for 2,000 yards despite the complete and utter lack of quarterback play and thus becoming completely predictable makes the feat all the more impressive.

The Browns were the only team that rushed for more yards than it passed, finishing 32nd in passing, while the Steelers finished 9th.

Edit: And it's also important to note who he was blocking for... the corpse of Jamal Lewis, Jerome Harrison, and Josh Cribbs.

Anything else?

bce
06-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I know its always someone elses fault. Its "jake locker syndrome".

They ran for 2000 yards because they ran more than others. But their yards per carry was near the bottom of the league.

A Perfect Score
06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I know its always someone elses fault. Its "jake locker syndrome".

They ran for 2000 yards because they ran more than others. But their yards per carry was near the bottom of the league.

Just stop talking dude. Every post you make yourself look worse and worse. No one takes you seriously, and you are just trolling and making ridiculous statements at this point. Stop from turning yourself into a cliche and at least attempt to make legitimate, educated arguments.

I've said multiple times that Michael Floyd is my #1 WR for next year, and AJ Green is right behind him. Right now, Ive got Baldwin over Jones, but that could easily change if Julio polishes up his game a bit and starts living up to all that potential. People talk about him as the same type of athlete that Calvin Johnson was, but Johnson had the production and WR skills to back up his athleticism whereas right now, Julio doesnt. Not saying he cant get there, but I wanna see it on film before I have him as any higher then the #4 eligible receiver next year.

As for his 40, I'd expect anywhere between 4.5 and 4.6. The Reggie Williams comparisons are spot on, and its a bit off putting.

dannyz
06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Pretty much what i was gonna say.

Jones is a mid 4.4 guy and at 6'4" 215 thats pretty dam good. Jones is simply a freak athletically. He hasn't really performed well because his hands have been a little inconsistant, but if he can sure that up, then i think he should be fine.

And just cuz i can and i will take any shot i have to i will post some of my favorite pictures of him...here they are. haha

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/jatebe/JulioJonescatch.jpg

and

http://blog.al.com/tidecorner/2008/08/medium_julio-jump.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/11/08/2008368354.jpg

http://media.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/photo/julio-td-1107jpg-959108d14a22df9f_large.jpg

bce
06-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Every post i make i feel better and better. Like when the world gives the indy colts a c grade and the detroit lions an A grade, I feel better and better that what im saying is right and that what the world thinks is wrong. Im sorry you dont like what youre hearing, but then again, im not.

RealityCheck
06-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Every post i make i feel better and better. Like when the world gives the indy colts a c grade and the detroit lions an A grade, I feel better and better that what im saying is right and that what the world thinks is wrong.
So...

The Lions had the best of all 32 drafts, and the Colts had one of the worst of all 32 drafts.

So, if 'the world' says the Lions' draft was better, they're wrong?

Confusing.

bce
06-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Bill polian doesnt say im wrong, and bill polian knows what hes doing. The detroit lions and the world doesnt know what theyre doing.

RealityCheck
06-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Bill polian doesnt say im wrong, and bill polian knows what hes doing. The detroit lions and the world doesnt know what theyre doing.
No, no, no, no.

Polian thinks his quarterback is a 15-yr old athletic freak who will last for a century.
Polian thinks his offensive line is filled with All-Pro caliber young aces.
Polian thinks he's got an endless supply quality of pass rushers, but all of them suck, and that's the reason he drafted Hughes.

Simple: Polian doesn't have a clue about what he's doing. Hell, the guy drafted a RB in 2009, when he had massive needs at OL and DL, which are still needs.

bce
06-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Bill polians teams been in the playoffs 10 years in a row. Thats how i know hes right.

bce
06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
dwight freeny sucks. right.

TitanHope
06-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Julio Jones runs a low 4.4 on one play, and then for most of the rest, he'll be running high 4.5's. That's Julio Jones. One spectacular play aweing people, and then a bunch of lackluster plays confusing the hell out of people and causing people to find excuses for his sucking those plays.

gpngc
06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
There's definitely a 40 somewhere on Jones. Someone find it.

All four WRs are too good to be true.

marshallb
06-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Every post i make i feel better and better. Like when the world gives the indy colts a c grade and the detroit lions an A grade, I feel better and better that what im saying is right and that what the world thinks is wrong. Im sorry you dont like what youre hearing, but then again, im not.

So then I guess that its impossible for a good franchise to ever do anything wrong; I guess the same would go for it being impossible for a bad franchise, ie. the Lions, to ever do anything right; or is that not what you're saying?

brat316
06-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Jones might be a freak athlete like some of you say. But he does not show it on the field very much, he doesn't get wide open, or open in that case. Hell if he is that good throw him some deep balls and let him go and get it, or jump balls. Its just seems he is lazy when he knows he is not going to be part of the play. Like TitanHope said, he;ll run one play thats 4.4, and then 4.5 for the rest.

XLIV
06-13-2010, 11:41 PM
not fast enough.

http://media.al.com/alphotos/photo/-86d2f6c35d578932_custom_665xauto.jpg

RaiderNation
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Reminds me of T.O. with his combo of good speed and a big body. Maybe has the highest potential out of all the great WR prospects for the 2011 draft.

TACKLE
06-13-2010, 11:53 PM
No, no, no, no.

Polian thinks his quarterback is a 15-yr old athletic freak who will last for a century.
Polian thinks he's got an endless supply quality of pass rushers, but all of them suck, and that's the reason he drafted Hughes.

Simple: Polian doesn't have a clue about what he's doing. Hell, the guy drafted a RB in 2009, when he had massive needs at OL and DL, which are still needs.

Yes. The GM of the team that has had 7 consecutive 12 win seasons, 2 Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl championship and the most wins in the decade "doesn't have a clue about what he's doing." Thanks tips.

yourfavestoner
06-14-2010, 12:46 AM
I think the Reggie Williams comparisons are very similar in terms of their route running and and inability to get out of breaks quickly. Jones absolutely destroys Williams in terms of jump-ball ability and body control in the air, though. Williams had no idea how to track a deep ball and go up and get it. It was sad, really.

LonghornsLegend
06-14-2010, 01:15 AM
No, no, no, no.

Ya know, I do understand the definition of a homer and all, but anything regarding the Colts that you post about is just beyond annoying at this point. Sometimes I wonder if you even believe the stuff your typing, but most of it isn't even worth responding to, or getting into a debate about.

06-14-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm scared we got another case of Dwayne Jarrett here. I really am. I was gonna say Mike Williams but he just didn't care at all for the game. Things are gonna have to change (and quick!) if that doubt is to leave my mind anytime between now and the '11 draft.

TACKLE
06-14-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm scared we got another case of Dwayne Jarrett here. I really am. I was gonna say Mike Williams but he just didn't care at all for the game. Things are gonna have to change (and quick!) if that doubt is to leave my mind anytime between now and the '11 draft.

Except for Dwayne Jarrett was an awesome college player, with great production and always had his biggest games against the top competition. Although Julio is a more athletic player, I can see the similarities.

06-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Except for Dwayne Jarrett was an awesome college player, with great production and always had his biggest games against the top competition. Although Julio is a more athletic player, I can see the similarities.

I was evaluating from a pure physical standpoint, while taking everything into consideration, though I'll rate Jones a shade higher athletically (call me a non-believer). Throw #'s out the window, as far as I'm concerned they're the same guy.

K Train
06-14-2010, 08:22 AM

jarrett was thin and weak but he was tall and could go up and grab the ball against pac 10 corners. i dont think they are similar at all. since jones is thick and freakishly strong.

really the best comparison is TO and i know it gets beat to death but TO had like 1 TD his senior year and eventually catapulted into superstardom in the pros...i could really see that happening with jones just as easily as he could fall on his face i suppose

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 08:29 AM
jarrett was thin and weak but he was tall and could go up and grab the ball against pac 10 corners. i dont think they are similar at all. since jones is thick and freakishly strong.

really the best comparison is TO and i know it gets beat to death but TO had like 1 TD his senior year and eventually catapulted into superstardom in the pros...i could really see that happening with jones just as easily as he could fall on his face i suppose
TO went to Chattanooga, not Alabama, where Jones had a good QB, a great running game, and everything working for him

K Train
06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
i mean i get that....but they are so similar, physically, the overall lack of collegiate production. im not asking you to like him, you really dont have to but hes too good of a talent to just write off....am i saying top 5 pick? not really i would not be surprised to see him be the 3rd or 4th wr taken but hes got such a high ceiling but hes got his physical ability and dominate team holding him back imo. if they didnt just win so many games and run the ball so much and actually force him to tune up his game maybe he would be getting better but lets face it saban isnt making him do any of that. he was a man among boys in high school and looked to be one his freshman year....now his lack of route running ability is starting to catch up to him. he HAS to make strides in his game to be a successful pro because his timeline of using freakish ability alone is running out. my argument is i think he will do it, i think he'll have a big year to get everyone back on board

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 08:54 AM
i mean i get that....but they are so similar, physically, the overall lack of collegiate production. im not asking you to like him, you really dont have to but hes too good of a talent to just write off....am i saying top 5 pick? not really i would not be surprised to see him be the 3rd or 4th wr taken but hes got such a high ceiling but hes got his physical ability and dominate team holding him back imo. if they didnt just win so many games and run the ball so much and actually force him to tune up his game maybe he would be getting better but lets face it saban isnt making him do any of that. he was a man among boys in high school and looked to be one his freshman year....now his lack of route running ability is starting to catch up to him. he HAS to make strides in his game to be a successful pro because his timeline of using freakish ability alone is running out. my argument is i think he will do it, i think he'll have a big year to get everyone back on board
I'm not writing him off... I just have him 4th and he has major weaknesses he needs to improve upon. That doesn't make him a bad player, but he's not as good as the other 3 right now. All of them have freakish potential, so it's a question of who is putting it together on the field right now and he's last in that category. That could change

LonghornsLegend
06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
TO went to Chattanooga, not Alabama, where Jones had a good QB, a great running game, and everything working for him

That's kinda going against the point you want to make. You think TO had to face corners like Patrick Peterson? Julio plays in the SEC, it would of been pretty easy for TO to rack up ridiculous stats vs the corners he faced playing for Chatanooga.

TO has also had problems with drops early and late in his career, obviously I think it's his best case scenario but he could also meet the low end of his comparison as well, it'll be an interesting year for him.

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
That's kinda going against the point you want to make. You think TO had to face corners like Patrick Peterson? Julio plays in the SEC, it would of been pretty easy for TO to rack up ridiculous stats vs the corners he faced playing for Chatanooga.

TO has also had problems with drops early and late in his career, obviously I think it's his best case scenario but he could also meet the low end of his comparison as well, it'll be an interesting year for him.
I'm skeptical as to the quality of quarterback play at Chattanooga and Chattanooga typically gets on the schedule of the Florida's and Alabama's for the payday.

K Train
06-14-2010, 09:24 AM

the thing about playing at chatanooga was that TO was the ONLY thing they had and while you say he should have just dominated, he literally faced triple teams most of the time. TO is a very rare exception of a collegiate offensive player with no production that 1) gets drafted period and 2) achieves superstar status at the enxt level. i see jones as that kind of player potentially

julio does get doubled alot though, even with teams stacking the box against the run you rarely see jones (at least what i saw of him last year) alone on an island with one DB, despite his shortcoming stat wise he wins that battle most of the time.

i think hes poised for a big year, hes gotta know hes got alot of money riding on this season and needs to improve alot and polish up his game.

its funny that i agrue for jones so much but really im in love with michael floyd lol

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 09:40 AM
julio does get doubled alot though, even with teams stacking the box against the run you rarely see jones (at least what i saw of him last year) alone on an island with one DB, despite his shortcoming stat wise he wins that battle most of the time.
That doesn't make any sense, unless the 8th man in the box was just a bluff which would only get them killed on the run and it's not like Alabama was afraid to run against 8 man fronts anyway. If it's not a bluff, they have 3 in coverage and are apparently going without a safety protecting their back end to double Jones.

That would innovative to say the least. Stupid, but innovative

FUNBUNCHER
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Reminds me of T.O. with his combo of good speed and a big body. Maybe has the highest potential out of all the great WR prospects for the 2011 draft.

You need to research a little on Pitt WR Jonathon Baldwin before you say Julio has the 'highest potential' among Michael Floyd, AJ Green, Baldwin and Jones.

K Train
06-14-2010, 09:49 AM
That doesn't make any sense, unless the 8th man in the box was just a bluff which would only get them killed on the run and it's not like Alabama was afraid to run against 8 man fronts anyway. If it's not a bluff, they have 3 in coverage and are apparently going without a safety protecting their back end to double Jones.

That would innovative to say the least. Stupid, but innovative

i remember one play last year i forget who it was againt but they had 2 guys on jones on a running down and it was a run play....he just handles any CB in the run game that they put 2 guys on him just so theres not a completely open lane on the outside to his side...i guess thats more what i was referring too not so much stacking "the box" but playing the run and still doubling his ass. its hard to really put into perspective since bamas run game is so domiante and your right they arent scared to run against 8 man fronts at all

BaLLiN
06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
anyone not believe that Julio is 6'4''? I'm thinking more like 6'2 1/2''

K Train
06-14-2010, 08:48 PM
solid 6-3+ that could pass for 11 feet the way he jumps

LonghornsLegend
06-14-2010, 08:57 PM
the thing about playing at chatanooga was that TO was the ONLY thing they had and while you say he should have just dominated, he literally faced triple teams most of the time.

So did Ramses Barden.

wonderbredd24
06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
solid 6-3+ that could pass for 11 feet the way he jumps

Arms like tree trunks. Eyes... cold... like steel. Had a flock of red hair.

K Train
06-14-2010, 09:03 PM
So did Ramses Barden.

barden (like julio sometimes) is soooo slow in and out of his cuts. valid point though, i just think jones has some explosiveness to him that barden doesnt, but i dont think he always goes as hard as he should, like green does do well.

like i said though, far from a finished product, hes got alot of work to do

Sniper
06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
pretty damn good Greg McElroy.

McElroy is not good and far from "pretty damn good".

wonderbredd24
06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
McElroy is not good and far from "pretty damn good".
Completing 60.9% of his passes with a 17:4 TD:INT ratio and a National Title out of your junior QB is pretty damn good if you ask me. He should only get better this year as well.

JFLO
06-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Yea Sniper, I have to disagree with you there. He doesn't have flashy numbers like Tebow or Ryan Mallett, but he is the best game managing quarterback in the SEC and maybe the entire country. He has unbelievable patience and his mechanics are pro-ready already. I think he's a player that an NFL team would love to pick up somewhere in the 5-7 round range and if he has a good season then he could probably go as early as Rounds 3-4.

He's not going to throw the ball sixty yards down field but his arm strength is decent and he is more accurate than a lot people think. He's a good quarterback.

hockey619
06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Yea Sniper, I have to disagree with you there. He doesn't have flashy numbers like Tebow or Ryan Mallett, but he is the best game managing quarterback in the SEC and maybe the entire country. He has unbelievable patience and his mechanics are pro-ready already. I think he's a player that an NFL team would love to pick up somewhere in the 5-7 round range and if he has a good season then he could probably go as early as Rounds 3-4.

He's not going to throw the ball sixty yards down field but his arm strength is decent and he is more accurate than a lot people think. He's a good quarterback.

I only saw one game that i can really recall specifically where i watched him closely and that was the National Championship Game. I thought he was horrible, he looked lost to me, stared down the rush, and was scared often leading to lost plays. I maintain that losing Colt McCoy hurt but that if Texas had stacked the line of scrimmage with a five man line they probably wouldve won anyway. Putting the game on McElroy and leaving it to him wouldve been disastrous, he was terrible against a legit defense.

End rant, sorry for the slight straying from the topic.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I only saw one game that i can really recall specifically where i watched him closely and that was the National Championship Game. I thought he was horrible, he looked lost to me, stared down the rush, and was scared often leading to lost plays. I maintain that losing Colt McCoy hurt but that if Texas had stacked the line of scrimmage with a five man line they probably wouldve won anyway. Putting the game on McElroy and leaving it to him wouldve been disastrous, he was terrible against a legit defense.

End rant, sorry for the slight straying from the topic.

He did what he was supposed to against Texas, manage the game. It was Ingram/richardson and the defenses job to win the game and thats what happened. He did not turn the ball over, what more do you want from a game manager. He is what he is. He played well all year in the toughest football conference. Lets not forget he played damn good against florida who is a "legit defense".

yourfavestoner
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
He did what he was supposed to against Texas, manage the game. It was Ingram/richardson and the defenses job to win the game and thats what happened. He did not turn the ball over, what more do you want from a game manager. He is what he is. He played well all year in the toughest football conference. Lets not forget he played damn good against florida who is a "legit defense".

Yup, he was the second best player on the field behind Ingram in the UF game.

JFLO
06-15-2010, 10:53 AM
The offense that Alabama runs, McElroy isn't going to be throwing 300 yards and 4 touchdowns a game. He's an efficient passer who knows how to manage the game better than any quarterback in the SEC right now.

If he has any future in the NFL, which I think he does, then it will be the same role. He's not a franchise caliber quarterback by any means, but if you want a career-like comparison (not a player comparison) then look at someone like Trent Dilfer. Didn't have the flashiest abilities, but made good decisions consistently and was simply a winner.

People forget that McElroy hasn't lost a game since his high school days. Granted he only started his senior season in HS and junior season at 'Bama, but he's a pure winner and has a good shot to go 14-0 again this season in Tuscaloosa.

keylime_5
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
AJ Green was more productive and received a higher percentage of completed passes despite missing 3 games with ****** Joe Cox, while Julio Jones was less productive and caught a lower percentage of completed passes from a pretty damn good Greg McElroy.

Everything was working in Jones' favor and he spit the bit so to speak

That's why McElroy threw for like 50 yards against Texas and Alabama abandoned the passing game. At least under senior John Parker Wilson in 2008 they had some semblance of a downfield passing game. In 2009 they were an unstoppable running team behind Richardson and Ingram and McElroy benefited and was along for the ride. I think Jones would've had a better sophomore year if JPWilson was still there.

wonderbredd24
06-15-2010, 11:09 AM
That's why McElroy threw for like 50 yards against Texas and Alabama abandoned the passing game. At least under senior John Parker Wilson in 2008 they had some semblance of a downfield passing game. In 2009 they were an unstoppable running team behind Richardson and Ingram and McElroy benefited and was along for the ride. I think Jones would've had a better sophomore year if JPWilson was still there.
Evidently, you didn't watch the game. Why would Alabama pass when Texas couldn't stop turning over the football and handing Alabama points and Texas couldn't stop the run anyway?

Meanwhile, he went 12/18 for 239 and a TD against Florida, 21/31 for 218 and 2 TDs against Auburn when Ingram had 30 yards. McElroy also had a good game against Arkansas when Ingram only had 50 yards going 17/24 for 291 and 3 TDs

Sniper
06-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Completing 60.9% of his passes

In an offense where he threw the ball over 10 yards about twice a game. Super impressive.

with a 17:4 TD:INT ratio

Yeah, okay, good.

and a National Title out of your junior QB

McElroy is about the 50th-most important reason why Alabama won. But yes, let's give him all the credit because he's the QB.

wonderbredd24
06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Who said anything about giving him all the credit? But he does deserve credit. It's not easy to win a title, but they did with him at QB and he was integral in a few of their big victories along the way

keylime_5
06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I still don't think McElroy was helping Jones' production more than Wilson did. They didn't attack downfield quite as much last year as they did in 2008 and Ingram was a much bigger part of the gameplan. I expect Jones to bounce back this year now that McElroy is more experienced and Saban will probably trust McElroy more in an effort to develop a top notch passing game to compliment the best running attack in the SEC.

JFLO
06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
What makes you think they are going to change the gameplan up if they won the NC last year? Besides the fact that Trent Richardson is going to become a more vital part of their offense.

McElroy's numbers might go up a bit, but they aren't going to go from 17 TDs to 25 TDs.

Another thing, like I've mentioned earlier, is I don't think Jones' effort was 100% last season. I've been a believer that the game has come real easy to Jones throughout High School and his first year in Tuscaloosa. Then, once coaches knew the kind of presence he would actually bring, they started adjusting. However, he didn't adjust back. Even though he was such a highly touted recruit, I don't think anyone imagined the kind of impact he would have his freshman season.

Just watching some of the games, he doesn't seem to put forth the entire effort that it took to take over a game. He doesn't fight for balls, he just uses his natural abilities. He'll use his 40" vertical, but otherwise, he's not fighting.

JHL6719
06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Once again, the usual suspects blowing a bunch of hot air out of their asses...

Greg McElroy was playing with 3 broken ribs in the title game against Texas... JPW would've been throwing interceptions instead of taking the sacks and managing the game against the best secondary in the country the way GMac did...

JPW's own teammates couldn't even stand him... that's why they all got in a big fight on the bus coming back from the UL Monroe loss a few years ago....they knew he sucked...

Julio's production was down last year because he was learning a new position (playing the Z and the X) combined with defenses game planning around him more...

It was also GMac's first season in Jim McElwain's offense....and all he did was not lose a game and win the national championship.

Unless you're somehow affiliated with the Alabama program, you people have no idea what it's like to play the quarterback position at the University of Alabama.... it's different than most places.... the pressure from the boosters, fans, and local media can get downright unbearable... and they'll single you out and turn on you faster than you can say "Roll Ti..."...

Greg McElroy has a unique sense of confidence and thick skin that makes him perfect for the job.... that, combined with his stellar decision making for such an inexperienced starter is also what will serve him well in the future as he embarks on an NFL career.

This thread reeks of youngsters full of the "been watching college football for 5 years" syndrome...

Some day maybe you'll learn the difference between a QUARTERBACK and an athlete playing quarterback...

bce
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Im lost is this a discussion of the pro prospects of greg mcelroy or julio jones?

mcelroy just isnt gifted enough for the nfl game. I dont think he "hurt" julio jones though. Why throw the ball all day when you can run it down everyones throat and win national championships, although I dont believe the qb had much to with it

The issue i have with jones is the consistent nagging minor injuries. he makes big plays when he gets the ball, but he doesnt seem to get the ball enough, whether thats greg mcelroy or conservative offense or being injured too much im not really sure at this point. I like what happens when he gets the ball. problem is i dont see him getting the ball enough for various reasons.

No one is permitted to describe anything as a "syndrome" thats mine.

Playing qb for alabama is only harder than playing qb anywhere else in alabama.

bce
06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
im killing you too my rep is lower, which is the the meausring stick. Im coming after joe m charlie.

JHL6719
06-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Julio has started all 27 games of his career at Alabama.... he plays through whatever nagging injuries he sustains... because he's a tough, physical receiver that throws his body around trying to break tackles and stiff arming DB's to the ground...

It's only an issue in your own head seemingly because you have to find something to nitpick...

The bottom line here is you're just another ill equipped internet cowboy that isn't armed with enough knowledge about Alabama football to continue a discussion...

As for Greg McElroy, he's gifted ENOUGH for the NFL game.... he can make every throw required at the NFL level....

Alabama football is about running the football and playing smothering defense.... it's been that way for 100 years and it will never change...

However, GMac is the one that engineered the 15 play, 80 yard drive against Auburn when we were down 21-20 with just over 8 minutes left in the game.... McElroy proceeded to complete 7 of 8 passes on that drive, converting key 3rd downs, and it culminated in him throwing the game winning TD pass to Roy Upchurch to go up 26-21 (the 2 point attempt failed) and leave Auburn with only a minute or so left on the clock...

Mark Ingram was completely useless that game.... and if not for THAT drive... Bama doesn't even have a chance to play for the title most likely...

It's not a "conservative" offense... it's just a BALANCED offense... not this pitty pat, spread you out with 4 and 5 WR's and throw it 50 times a game like you see in college so much nowdays....

These QB dependent spread offensive teams are **** out of luck once somebody like Marcel Dareus comes along and knocks his ass out of the game.... Bama's offense can keep rolling if McElroy gets knocked out because of how balanced it is...

Here's some friendly advice.... get off the computer and watch some football...

JHL6719
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
BTW... I bet I can tell you how you got all those red bars.... from the same place I got mine....

A couple of clueless knuckle heads that don't know a football from a fire ant...

yourfavestoner
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
My, my, my, we have some pretentious new posters.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-15-2010, 06:04 PM
A couple of clueless knuckle heads that don't know a football from a fire ant...

How self-aware of you. I'm impressed.

bce
06-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Im going to disagree on mcelroy's ability.

I like jones a lot dont get me wrong, but i'd like to see more production more consistently and im not quite sure why Im not seeing it.

Certain people like to have what they say congratulated, to have agreement etc etc, be it correct or not. I generally find, congratulations and green bars is more a measure of following the herd and saying exactly what mel kiper says then repeating it than anything else. They dont like to have their opinions questioned and they use the herd to pile on those who are not in agreement with their "prevailing wisdom".

Keep up the red bars, its like the red badge of courage. Im shooting for joe me charlie, who sent me a pm, then didnt allow it to be reciprocated.

marshallb
06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
So I'm guessing that the only rational thing we can do is to give it some +rep...Who's with me????

EDIT: I guess that I actually have to spread some rep around before giving it to(taking it away from) bce again.

bce
06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I want the worst rep ever recorded. the worse my rep, the more right I will be.

marshallb
06-15-2010, 06:44 PM

So that settles it, everyone shower this man with +rep, that will somehow prove how wrong he is. (...I can't believe I just said that...)

JFLO
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM

You keep telling yourself that, but you are hands down the dumbest person currently posting in these forums.

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
You keep telling yourself that, but you are hands down the dumbest person currently posting in these forums.

I dunnoooooo he likes Julio, and I +repped him for that. Plus I agree with most, if Julio was in any other school pretty much, he would have amazing numbers. But its hard to do when your RBs are amazing, and your QB is average at best.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I never really got the impression people are knocking Jones for a lack of production per say, but for a lack of getting open and effort in general. If Demaryius Thomas can be the first wide receiver off the board with his production and the offense he was coming from, Jones can definitely go high in 2011 or 2012, but he needs to show the work on tape whether the ball is coming to him or not.

That's the big issue right now.

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
There can't be another player with more bogus excuses for weak performance than Julio Jones

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I never really got the impression people are knocking Jones for a lack of production per say, but for a lack of getting open and effort in general. If Demaryius Thomas can be the first wide receiver off the board with his production and the offense he was coming from, Jones can definitely go high in 2011 or 2012, but he needs to show the work on tape whether the ball is coming to him or not.

How does he not show work when the ball doesn't come to him? That means its a run and he has shown he is Hines Wardish on blocking abilities. Demaryius had a 20 ypc where the defense knew if the ball gets thrown, its to him, and size and decent speed, I woulda spent a first on him too (Probably over Bryant too but different story). I would love for him to come out next year, and he falls to late for the Saints to get him. Colston and him on the outside with Henderson and Meachem in the slot and Graham/Shockey at TE and Bush/PT23 at RB? How the hell can you stop it?

yourfavestoner
06-18-2010, 11:35 AM
There can't be another player with more bogus excuses for weak performance than Julio Jones

Reginald Alfred Bush II

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Reginald Alfred Bush II

Eric Metcalf saw it coming and wants the same kind of money

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Reginald Alfred Bush II

I don't see any excuses for Bush.... He can't run between the tackles, he only did it at USC because the line was good. But besides that, I dunno what your talking about?

yourfavestoner
06-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't see any excuses for Bush.... He can't run between the tackles, he only did it at USC because the line was good. But besides that, I dunno what your talking about?

That's because people have finally resigned on the fact that he is what he is. For his first two-three years in the league, he had every excuse in the world made for him.

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Yet Julio Jones can't produce because the running game is too good. Too good. Listen to yourself as you say that.

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
That's because people have finally resigned on the fact that he is what he is. For his first two-three years in the league, he had every excuse in the world made for him.

I can honestly say I never heard an excuse for him. He has always had a very good line, a very good QB, and a RB to not make him the workhorse (Deuce before PT). On the opposite, I have heard that he was a bust and all the negative things.

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Yet Julio Jones can't produce because the running game is too good. Too good. Listen to yourself as you say that.

.... I dont see where I contradict myself?

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
.... I dont see where I contradict myself?
How does that hurt his production? It makes absolutely no sense. If the running game is good, then it creates more openings for the passing game. They have to commit at least 8 in the box and Julio Jones never sees a double team.

So why did Julio Jones get such a low percentage of passes from McElroy? Was he not the first option? Did McElroy just say "**** that guy, I'm throwing to the other receivers?"

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
How does that hurt his production? It makes absolutely no sense. If the running game is good, then it creates more openings for the passing game. They have to commit at least 8 in the box and Julio Jones never sees a double team.

So why did Julio Jones get such a low percentage of passes from McElroy? Was he not the first option? Did McElroy just say "**** that guy, I'm throwing to the other receivers?"

Because the teams have a Safety over top of him and a CB inside him, so McElroy checks down and throws a 3 yard pass alot? Thats why other guys do get open passes, because the other CB is on a island because of the double on Julio and 7-8 in the box to stop the run. But again, if the running game is "too good", why would you want to pass the ball when you play against teams you don't have to throw the ball against? When 7 of your games are blowouts, I wouldn't see the point in throwing the ball. And in the other games when your OL is "too good" and your RBs are "too good", and its working against them, again why pass the ball? And in 3 close games he had : 7 catches in 12-10 win vs UT, 102 yard recieving in 24-15 win vs LSU, 9 catches in a 26-21 win vs Auburn. And the other close games (I put close by 21 or less) against UK had 15 completions vs 42 runs, vs Miss 16 completions vs 41 runs.... So yes because the running game is so good they dont pass the ball alot, and if they do its check downs because the QB isn't trying for the deep throw much at all.

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Because the teams have a Safety over top of him and a CB inside him, so McElroy checks down and throws a 3 yard pass alot? Thats why other guys do get open passes, because the other CB is on a island because of the double on Julio and 7-8 in the box to stop the run. But again, if the running game is "too good", why would you want to pass the ball when you play against teams you don't have to throw the ball against? When 7 of your games are blowouts, I wouldn't see the point in throwing the ball. And in the other games when your OL is "too good" and your RBs are "too good", and its working against them, again why pass the ball? And in 3 close games he had : 7 catches in 12-10 win vs UT, 102 yard recieving in 24-15 win vs LSU, 9 catches in a 26-21 win vs Auburn. And the other close games (I put close by 21 or less) against UK had 15 completions vs 42 runs, vs Miss 16 completions vs 41 runs.... So yes because the running game is so good they dont pass the ball alot, and if they do its check downs because the QB isn't trying for the deep throw much at all.
So how would he be more productive on another team? He has to deal with single coverage with a safety shading him over the top while teams roll 8 in the box, meanwhile if he was on another team, he would likely only have 7 in the box and deal with defenses that bracket him on every play. The team has to focus on the run every play making passing much easier.

So Julio Jones is so good that it's McElroy's fault he didn't get the ball to him despite a very productive season, but Jones is not good enough to beat what isn't even really a double team.

Evidently teams were so terrified of the guy who had all of 21% of the teams receptions and 23% of their receiving yards that they... shaded a safety over maybe sometimes.

How is any of this helping Julio Jones's case?

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
So how would he be more productive on another team? He has to deal with single coverage with a safety shading him over the top while teams roll 8 in the box, meanwhile if he was on another team, he would likely only have 7 in the box and deal with defenses that bracket him on every play. The team has to focus on the run every play making passing much easier.

So Julio Jones is so good that it's McElroy's fault he didn't get the ball to him despite a very productive season, but Jones is not good enough to beat what isn't even really a double team.

Evidently teams were so terrified of the guy who had all of 21% of the teams receptions and 23% of their receiving yards that they... shaded a safety over maybe sometimes.

How is any of this helping Julio Jones's case?

If you put him on a Florida style offense he will get one on one coverage because you still have the run and you have slot recievers to take away the safety. Or you put him on Texas Techs offense and run bubble screens to him where he could show you his sub 4.5 speed........ either way he will be far more productive. And McElroy had a very productive season? You serious? 17 and 4 is a good ratio when it comes to TD:INT, but when 11 of your TDs come in blow outs against suspect defenses I really dont see how he did good. What I am saying and have been is at Alabama he isn't asked to throw deep alot but when he is (i.e. 3rd and long) the defense doubles Julio because he is their only threat.

JHL6719
06-18-2010, 01:45 PM

Ya know.... if you were to make these comments about Julio's effort not being there when the ball isn't coming to him to Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Jim McElwain, or Nick Saban himself..... it would without question result in them laughing in your face...

There was no better blocking WR's in college football last year than Demaryius Thomas and Julio Jones...

Thomas' blocking prowess is certainly one of the elements of his game that resulted in him being drafted as high as he was in the first place.... the NFL likes WR's that are willing to block....

Thomas was responsible for going in the middle of the field often and rooting out linebackers for Paul Johnson's option attack...

Thomas was always single covered....that's the way the offense is designed... Julio faces the double coverage....that's the way the offense is designed.... Jim McElwain WANTS Julio to be the focal point of opposing defenses in the passing game.... this should be fairly obvious to even the most casual observer...

The "production" isn't in the numbers on a stat sheet.... the production Julio has managed to put up was twice as hard to come by as Demaryius Thomas' "production"....

Now, that said.... I'm going to be quite honest about something here....

A.J. Green is the better NFL WR prospect...

JHL6719
06-18-2010, 01:56 PM

This...

Julio and McElroy (along with several others) didn't even play much, if at all, in the 2nd half of multiple games at the beginning of the season that were blowouts by halftime...

Julio's "production" (stat wise) would be much, much, much higher if he played in an air raid offense like TT's where basically it amounts to sending a bunch of receivers to flood zones in order to get the ball to your "star receiver"...ala Crabtree...

The running game is as good as it is due in large part to Julio's blocking effort.... Ingram led the nation in runs over 10 yards, and runs over 20 yards.... again, due in large part to Julio's ability to block downfield.... he's flat out wiped some dudes out...

Urban Meyer's offense is designed to get his skill players singled up out in space....

Anyone that thinks Julio Jones isn't more physically gifted and talented than Michael Crabtree, or any Florida WR since Urban Meyer's been at Florida needs to be getting that marijuana presription for their cataracts immediately....

In the rare instances that the game was actually on the line for Bama in crunch time....(Auburn for example)... McElroy ALWAYS looked for Julio.... and went to him time and time again on Bama's last and most critical drive to convert key 3rd downs... again and again.... despite Julio facing double coverage.... that is simply a fact....

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 02:29 PM
We went from this...
I dunnoooooo he likes Julio, and I +repped him for that. Plus I agree with most, if Julio was in any other school pretty much, he would have amazing numbers. But its hard to do when your RBs are amazing, and your QB is average at best.
To this.
If you put him on a Florida style offense he will get one on one coverage because you still have the run and you have slot recievers to take away the safety. Or you put him on Texas Techs offense and run bubble screens to him where he could show you his sub 4.5 speed........ either way he will be far more productive. And McElroy had a very productive season? You serious? 17 and 4 is a good ratio when it comes to TD:INT, but when 11 of your TDs come in blow outs against suspect defenses I really dont see how he did good. What I am saying and have been is at Alabama he isn't asked to throw deep alot but when he is (i.e. 3rd and long) the defense doubles Julio because he is their only threat.
I'm certainly convinced that he'd be awesome now that he needs to be in a gimmicky spread offense

That means its a run and he has shown he is Hines Wardish on blocking abilities.
There was no better blocking WR's in college football last year than Demaryius Thomas and Julio Jones...

Thomas' blocking prowess is certainly one of the elements of his game that resulted in him being drafted as high as he was in the first place.... the NFL likes WR's that are willing to block....
This is the calling card of the overrated wide receiver. Raving about his ability to block. I have never heard such an endorsement for a receiver's ability to block since Butch Davis used to talk about Quincy Morgan's ability to block, because he couldn't do anything else.

Demaryius had a 20 ypc where the defense knew if the ball gets thrown, its to him, and size and decent speed, I woulda spent a first on him too
So DeMaryius Thomas is better than Julio Jones? A triple option team with Josh Nesbitt as their QB and he was more productive... doesn't say much for Julio Jones, does it?

yourfavestoner
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
We went from this...

To this.

I'm certainly convinced that he'd be awesome now that he needs to be in a gimmicky spread offense

This is the calling card of the overrated wide receiver. Raving about his ability to block. I have never heard such an endorsement for a receiver's ability to block since Butch Davis used to talk about Quincy Morgan's ability to block, because he couldn't do anything else.

So DeMaryius Thomas is better than Julio Jones? A triple option team with Josh Nesbitt as their QB and he was more productive... doesn't say much for Julio Jones, does it?

Absolutely agree with this. That was Jack Del Rio's favorite line for defending Reggie Williams.

JHL6719
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM

You're obviously just trying to be stubborn here... I think we get it....

Julio Jones isn't the best WR prospect in the draft IMO.... but it has nothing to do with any numbers you see in the stat column... the only thing missing from Julio's game to this point is consistency...

However, I think you're intelligent enough to understand that Julio Jones is a better WR prospect, will be selected much, higher, and will have a better NFL career than ANY WR in college football last year that caught 100+ balls for a gazillion yards, and 15-20 TD's, etc... and can't block a 6 year old from getting to the Halloween candy...

..that ended up being drafted in the late rounds and/or undrafted...

You don't need the ability to create seperation, or be explosive, or even be a decent route runner for that matter, nor possess the ability to defeat press coverage, in order to put up monster numbers in most of these wide open conferences with gimmicky offenses...

There is nothing Demaryius Thomas can do that Julio Jones can't do... However, there are things Julio Jones can do that Demaryius Thomas has yet to prove that he can do...

On the rare occassions that GT threw the football, 70% of the time they throw it, they're going for the gusto... a bomb... almost a hail mary to Thomas in single coverage matched up on a much smaller DB... he would simply out-jump and out-muscle the DB for the ball.... there was no seperation...

Nor did Thomas face the caliber of defenses (particularly CB's/S's) that Julio was matched up against.... but Paul Johnson's offense DID provide Thomas an even better benefit from the run game than even Alabama's did for Julio.... in reality it's not even close...

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM

When the traditional I formation is going out of style, and spread offenses are happening more and more, I don't see how its gimmicky, but to have a WR get very good stats you put him in a offense where he will get them, not in a 80% run orientated offense.

I mention it one time, and its "raving"? Would you rather me keep talking about his 6'4 frame with 4.4 speed and leaping ability and very long arms? I made a note saying he was good at blocking, which he is.

I would love to see where I said that? I said I would have spent a first on him, which I would. And right now your trying to grasp straws on your side of the arguement, so I guess Ill go with statistics

Thomas played on a triple style offense, yes, but with that offense you have 9 guys in the box... every play. So you will have one on one every single play for Thomas. Nesbit on pass plays had one thing to do, which was just throw deep to Thomas and hope for the best. That shows with his 46.3 completion percentage (the balls that didn't get to Thomas) and the 2nd best reciever had 8 catches.... Tells you that it was Thomas or bust on throwing plays. So to compare Julio and Thomas you really can't, except both are very good blockers. Dang it, 2nd time I used blockers, I overused it.

So you really can't compare the two when GT throwing plays are Thomas or nothing and Alabamas is McElroy throwing to Julio? Double covered Ill check down to RB/TE.

yourfavestoner
06-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Julio Jones=Keyshawn Johnson?

Brent
06-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Julio Jones=Keyshawn Johnson?
clutch possession WR? I can see it

JHL6719
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Julio Jones=Herman Moore

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
I have the same problem with Julio Jones I did with Taylor Mays. Everyone who is a fan is forced to try to defend their lackluster production, when the only thing really going for them is the fact they have triangle numbers and potential.

If they had average triangle numbers and this type of production, no one would look at them twice.

JHL6719
06-18-2010, 03:34 PM
I have the same problem with Julio Jones I did with Taylor Mays. Everyone who is a fan is forced to try to defend their lackluster production, when the only thing really going for them is the fact they have triangle numbers and potential.

If they had average triangle numbers and this type of production, no one would look at them twice.

What you have to realize is that college production is too dependent on systems nowdays.... especially offensively... it's been that way for almost 25 years...

Numbers on a stat sheet don't translate to the NFL.....

Having the physical talent to dominate is what translates to the NFL....

You can't hide a players production nearly as easy on defense...

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
What you have to realize is that college production is too dependent on systems nowdays.... especially offensively... it's been that way for almost 25 years...

Numbers on a stat sheet don't translate to the NFL.....

Having the physical talent to dominate is what translates to the NFL....

You can't hide a players production nearly as easy on defense...

This is such a giant load of crap.

Alabama runs a Pro style offense... so do Georgia and Notre Dame and no one needs to come up with this crap about why AJ Green and Michael Floyd can't produce, because they produce.

And if someone seriously wants to make the argument that Joe Cox is better than Greg McElroy, I am looking forward to it.

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Comparing Julio with Taylor is down right ridiculous. Taylor was in a system designed to help him have better stats/make sure he didnt give up the TD, and really didnt succeed. Julio just went to a school that didn't benefit him for stats, but is learning the pro game and will continue to be a better all around player.

zachsaints52
06-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Alabama runs a Pro style offense... so do Georgia and Notre Dame and no one needs to come up with this crap about why AJ Green and Michael Floyd can't produce, because they produce.

And if someone seriously wants to make the argument that Joe Cox is better than Greg McElroy, I am looking forward to it.

How did AJ Green produce when he had a little better stats then Julio? 200 yards and around 15 catches. Floyd had 200 yards on Julio as well, but it would be nice to be a #2 guy who is still very good when he had Tate across from him taking the pressure off him.

And going by your standards, you said McElroy had a very productive year. So 24 and 15 isn't for Cox? Same QB rating rougly. I won't talk about Clausen because we both know he did very well.

By the way, I am not saying Julio is gonna be on the same level as Calvin Johnson or anything, but to say he isn't good or not 1st round material (I really dont knowyour stance on him) is wrong.

JHL6719
06-18-2010, 03:50 PM

That's not what I'm saying.... Joe Cox can't hold GMac's jock strap...

A.J. Green is the better WR prospect between the two... I've already pointed that out.... and that's coming from a die hard Bama fan of over 40 years.

The point is that you keep harping Julio being overrated, yet the only thing you harp on about it is the numbers... or lack of "production"...

Numbers aren't what translates to the NFL.... no matter what system you're in..

However, being 6-4, 215 pounds with 4.4 speed, strong hands, amazing leaping ability, and just flat out being a bully physically is what translates to the NFL.... certainly moreso than any statistics...

Jimmy Clausen is a better QB than Greg McElroy... period. Notre Dame throws the football more than Alabama... much, much more... naturally, Floyd's "numbers" on paper are going to be better....but that doesn't necessarily mean that his skillset is better than Julio's when you project them to the NFL...

Julio still has little things that he needs to improve on as he matures.... just like every other player in college football.....

But last year he was learning to play a different position in Bama's offense..... production or lack thereof won't be a concern for NFL scouts when it comes to how they evaluate Julio... I'll guarantee you that.

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 04:08 PM
How did AJ Green produce when he had a little better stats then Julio? 200 yards and around 15 catches. Floyd had 200 yards on Julio as well, but it would be nice to be a #2 guy who is still very good when he had Tate across from him taking the pressure off him.

And going by your standards, you said McElroy had a very productive year. So 24 and 15 isn't for Cox? Same QB rating rougly. I won't talk about Clausen because we both know he did very well.

By the way, I am not saying Julio is gonna be on the same level as Calvin Johnson or anything, but to say he isn't good or not 1st round material (I really dont knowyour stance on him) is wrong.

Just to clarify on Green, he missed 2 more games than Jones did

Joe Cox completed 55% of his passes compared to 60% for McElroy and I'll take 17 and 4 over 24 and 15 all day

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
That's not what I'm saying.... Joe Cox can't hold GMac's jock strap...

A.J. Green is the better WR prospect between the two... I've already pointed that out.... and that's coming from a die hard Bama fan of over 40 years.

The point is that you keep harping Julio being overrated, yet the only thing you harp on about it is the numbers... or lack of "production"...

Numbers aren't what translates to the NFL.... no matter what system you're in..

However, being 6-4, 215 pounds with 4.4 speed, strong hands, amazing leaping ability, and just flat out being a bully physically is what translates to the NFL.... certainly moreso than any statistics...

Jimmy Clausen is a better QB than Greg McElroy... period. Notre Dame throws the football more than Alabama... much, much more... naturally, Floyd's "numbers" on paper are going to be better....but that doesn't necessarily mean that his skillset is better than Julio's when you project them to the NFL...

Julio still has little things that he needs to improve on as he matures.... just like every other player in college football.....

But last year he was learning to play a different position in Bama's offense..... production or lack thereof won't be a concern for NFL scouts when it comes to how they evaluate Julio... I'll guarantee you that.

He can't seperate because he runs horrible routes and his hands aren't all that good, despite their overwhelming strength

LizardState
06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I watched McElroy in at least 10 regular season games last yr. & he had noticeably bad games in 2 of them: vs. SCAR & vs. Tennessee. He was so-so vs. archrival Auburn but I have to give him kudos for the clutch comeback in the late 4th qtr. with the Julio Jones & Collin Peek passes to go ahead.

In the other games yes the running game was too good to risk passing, Saban isn't going to risk a lead to showcase a WR. It may not sound right to your sensibilities when you repeat it, but it's p/o how to win FB games, & btw Bama didn't have nearly as many blowout games than its last 2 opponents, Florida & Texas. Colt McCoy was the Horns leading freaking rusher for most of the season & was kept in the blowout vs UTEP to shamelessly pad his stats, I saw it, pretty appalling actually.

Julio Jones had exceptional games b/c of certain outstanding plays in them where no, he didnt get 100+ receiving yds for the obvious reasons mentioned. Against Mississippi he caught some slants & 10 yd. short zone stuff & still dragged multiple defenders for extra yardage as is his forte'.

I don't think Jones needs improved footspeed per the thread topic to impress any NFL scouts, this yr. he can showcase his chemistry with McElroy & improved route running. Otherwise he has shown he can play in the clutch situations as the go-to guy, make the 1st defender miss (or be carried for 4-5 extra yds, he has awesome leg strength), outjump defenders in the red zone & block downfield, play while hurt, IDK what else he has to prove to anyone.

His speed will be questioned IMO b/c he is the same age as Green & plays in the same tough SEC. With his on-paper skillset alone, all he has to do is another avg, not breakout season, not drop too many & he will be right in there with Floyd & Green at the top tier of draftable receivers next April, maybe even top 10 material.

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 04:43 PM
so an average season warrants a top 10 pick and puts him in the same conversation as other guys who also have elite physical tools and DO produce? No. No, it really doesn't

DeMaryius Thomas had better tools and had more production and look where he went... NOT in the Top 10.

K Train
06-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I watched McElroy in at least 10 regular season games last yr. & he had noticeably bad games in 2 of them: vs. SCAR & vs. Tennessee. He was so-so vs. archrival Auburn but I have to give him kudos for the clutch comeback in the late 4th qtr. with the Julio Jones & Collin Peek passes to go ahead.

In the other games yes the running game was too good to risk passing, Saban isn't going to risk a lead to showcase a WR. It may not sound right to your sensibilities when you repeat it, but it's p/o how to win FB games, & btw Bama didn't have nearly as many blowout games than its last 2 opponents, Florida & Texas. Colt McCoy was the Horns leading freaking rusher for most of the season & was kept in the blowout vs UTEP to shamelessly pad his stats, I saw it, pretty appalling actually.

Julio Jones had exceptional games b/c of certain outstanding plays in them where no, he didnt get 100+ receiving yds for the obvious reasons mentioned. Against Mississippi he caught some slants & 10 yd. short zone stuff & still dragged multiple defenders for extra yardage as is his forte'.

I don't think Jones needs improved footspeed per the thread topic to impress any NFL scouts, this yr. he can showcase his chemistry with McElroy & improved route running. Otherwise he has shown he can play in the clutch situations as the go-to guy, make the 1st defender miss (or be carried for 4-5 extra yds, he has awesome leg strength), outjump defenders in the red zone & block downfield, play while hurt, IDK what else he has to prove to anyone.

His speed will be questioned IMO b/c he is the same age as Greene & plays in the same tough SEC. With his on-paper skillset alone, all he has to do is another avg, not breakout season, not drop too many & he will be right in there with Floyd & Greene at the top tier of draftable receivers next April, maybe even top 10 material.

rep....great post

LonghornsLegend
06-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Thomas' blocking prowess is certainly one of the elements of his game that resulted in him being drafted as high as he was in the first place.... the NFL likes WR's that are willing to block.....

LOL if you think being a good blocker as a WR helps you go in the 1st round. He could of been the most pathetic blocker ever but he would still have gone right where he did.

K Train
06-18-2010, 04:51 PM
so an average season warrants a top 10 pick and puts him in the same conversation as other guys who also have elite physical tools and DO produce? No. No, it really doesn't

DeMaryius Thomas had better tools and had more production and look where he went... NOT in the Top 10.

????????????? at the bold....not really by any means

sam bradford didnt even play and he went #1, AND he doesnt even have elite physical tools for a QB

compared to some other QBs, stafford had an average year when he went #1

tyson jackson=elite physical tools for a 5tech, went 3rd despite not even playing a defense that he was a fit for

darius heyward-bey....below average season, got drafted on physical tools #7

jamaal anderson and ted ginn were average at best and went top 10

okoye was drafted #10 because he was 19 and had potential

troy williamson was drafted for the same reason as DHB, fast and was thought to be better than the offense that he played in and QB that threw to him

it happens every year...just saying

Sniper
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
DeMaryius Thomas had better tools

Stop it now.

wonderbredd24
06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
????????????? at the bold....not really by any means

sam bradford didnt even play and he went #1, AND he doesnt even have elite physical tools for a QB

compared to some other QBs, stafford had an average year when he went #1

tyson jackson=elite physical tools for a 5tech, went 3rd despite not even playing a defense that he was a fit for

darius heyward-bey....below average season, got drafted on physical tools #7

jamaal anderson and ted ginn were average at best and went top 10

okoye was drafted #10 because he was 19 and had potential

troy williamson was drafted for the same reason as DHB, fast and was thought to be better than the offense that he played in and QB that threw to him

it happens every year...just saying
DeMaryius Thomas is 6'3" 225lbs and was estimated to run a low 4.4, but not really by any means

Stafford completed 61% of his passes, threw for 3,459 yards, 25 TDs against 10 INTs in a pro style offense. Average production apparently

Why did you even bring up Sam Bradford? All that does is stress how important teams feel the quarterback position is and how weak this past year's crop was... completely worthless to this topic.

Tyson Jackson was incredibly productive for LSU.

Darrius Heyward-Bey was a fringe 1st rounder by everyone... except Al Davis.

Jamaal Anderson left Arkansas 6th all time in career sacks and 9th all times in tackles for loss.

Ted Ginn... more catches, more yards, and at least as many TDs in both of his last 2 seasons at Ohio State plus his contributions as a returner.

Amobi Okoye had 55 tackles, 8 sacks, and 3 fumble recoveries as a senior at 19 years of age.

Troy Williamson averaged 19.4 yards per catch and had 7 TDs as a junior

So everyone save DHB produced more than Jones has done.

AntoinCD
06-19-2010, 02:46 AM

Lol no he didnt. Jones is a freak of nature. He is the most physically gifted WR since Calvin Johnson.

And yeah Thomas produced but he played in a gimmicky offense and most of his catches he was wide open due to that fact.

AntoinCD
06-19-2010, 02:57 AM
DeMaryius Thomas is 6'3" 225lbs and was estimated to run a low 4.4, but not really by any means

Stafford completed 61% of his passes, threw for 3,459 yards, 25 TDs against 10 INTs in a pro style offense. Average production apparently

Why did you even bring up Sam Bradford? All that does is stress how important teams feel the quarterback position is and how weak this past year's crop was... completely worthless to this topic.

Tyson Jackson was incredibly productive for LSU.

Darrius Heyward-Bey was a fringe 1st rounder by everyone... except Al Davis.

Jamaal Anderson left Arkansas 6th all time in career sacks and 9th all times in tackles for loss.

Ted Ginn... more catches, more yards, and at least as many TDs in both of his last 2 seasons at Ohio State plus his contributions as a returner.

Amobi Okoye had 55 tackles, 8 sacks, and 3 fumble recoveries as a senior at 19 years of age.

Troy Williamson averaged 19.4 yards per catch and had 7 TDs as a junior

So everyone save DHB produced more than Jones has done.

Tyson Jackson had 16 total sacks in college(8 as a sophomore) so I would hardly call that incredibly productive for a DE.

Not once in his college career did Troy Williamson have as many receptions or yards as Jones did as a freshman. And only once had he more TDs.

wonderbredd24
06-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Tyson Jackson had 16 total sacks in college(8 as a sophomore) so I would hardly call that incredibly productive for a DE.

Not once in his college career did Troy Williamson have as many receptions or yards as Jones did as a freshman. And only once had he more TDs.

Tyson Jackson played power end for the Tigers and was predominately a run first defender, where he excelled, hence he was such a good fit for 3-4 end.

It's not all about sacks

AntoinCD
06-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Tyson Jackson played power end for the Tigers and was predominately a run first defender, where he excelled, hence he was such a good fit for 3-4 end.

It's not all about sacks

Agreed but I wouldnt describe him as incredibly productive even as a run defender

zachsaints52
06-19-2010, 01:44 PM

You said he can block well, so there goes your opinion.....

It's not all about sacks

Not about sacks? So you mean theres things he does that doesn't show up on a stat sheet? Isn't that what we have talked about all along with Julio? With his double coverage on pass plays, his physical tools, and that dreaded b word, blocking.

TACKLE
06-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Not about sacks? So you mean theres things he does that doesn't show up on a stat sheet? Isn't that what we have talked about all along with Julio? With his double coverage on pass plays, his physical tools, and that dreaded b word, blocking.

Well if you want to compare DE's to WR's, where are these DE's who are really good run defenders and don't produce and put up stats and are still top ten picks. It doesn't happen. DE's taken in the top 10 need to be able to put up sacks and get after the QB. That's why they are being taken that high. Solid run-stuffing DE's can be found later in the draft and so can blocking, possession WR's.

LonghornsLegend
06-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Everybody knows Julio gets double coverages, enough about that. Since when does the best WR not get that every game?

Did Calvin Johnson not get triple coverages every week? Who else was there to take attention away? If you can't beat double coverages to produce your just an average WR anyway.

zachsaints52
06-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Everybody knows Julio gets double coverages, enough about that. Since when does the best WR not get that every game?

Did Calvin Johnson not get triple coverages every week? Who else was there to take attention away? If you can't beat double coverages to produce your just an average WR anyway.

But when your QB doesn't chance it to throw to you into double coverage then theres no way knowing. McElroys job is to hand the ball off and dump down to the RB/TE if Julio is doubled.... which is what happens.

And Calvin Johnson had the same approach D. Thomas did... hence him haveing 37 more catches then the second guy while your QB only throws 44.4% completion percentage. If you have a good RB and your only pass play is a bomb to CJ, he should come down with it about 50% of the time... or 44.4% pretty much in Balls case. Now if Reggie Ball had a 61% completion percentage (like McElroys), the catches differential would be alot less.

hburn
08-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I thought this should be posted http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/9881/healthy-jones-poised-for-best-year-yet
Julio was injuried last season so of course he had a bad year. And for those of you concerned about his speed he ran a 4.45 at the nike camp in Baton Rouge, AJ Green ran a 4.5. just google it. these may have changed since then though. But 40 times are pretty worthless when grading a prospect.
Julio needs to work on the concentration but physically he is a beast. Patrick Peterson said that AJ and Julio are the two best recievers he has ever faced.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/07/lsus_peterson_jones_green_best.html
Julio and AJ are both 1a and 1b in reciever rankings for me. I expect a huge season for both guys next year.

K Train
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Verdict: Pretty damn fast

GoRavens
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
With the 10th pick in the NFL draft,
the Washington Redskins select.
Wide Receiver, from the University of Alabama,
Julio
Jones.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
With the 9th pick in the NFL draft,
the Washington Redskins select.
Wide Receiver, from the University of Alabama,
Julio
Jones.
Provided it is not the Browns, that is fine with me, but the Redskins pick 10th

GoRavens
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Provided it is not the Browns, that is fine with me, but the Redskins pick 10th

I figure Cleveland is jumping with joy AJ Green will fall right into their laps.

Hines
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Imagine how fast he is if he didn't have that broken foot. That just shows how tough the kid is.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Imagine how fast he is if he didn't have that broken foot. That just shows how tough the kid is.
I could be wrong, but I doubt he would be any faster.

katnip
03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
A little less bulky T.O. ?

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I could be wrong, but I doubt he would be any faster.

Why is that? I don't think it's that hard to figure out if he didn't have a broken bone in his foot he could have timed faster. That doesn't mean that would make him a 4.2, but it's alot harder to believe it doesn't have any effect on his speed then it would be to believe he wouldn't have timed faster.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Why is that? I don't think it's that hard to figure out if he didn't have a broken bone in his foot he could have timed faster. That doesn't mean that would make him a 4.2, but it's alot harder to believe it doesn't have any effect on his speed then it would be to believe he wouldn't have timed faster.
Because it never seemed to affect him. Might it make him run a 4.37 instead of a 4.39? I suppose it could and yes, that would be faster, but nothing of any real substance. How much faster can he really be?

ThePudge
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Because it never seemed to affect him. Might it make him run a 4.37 instead of a 4.39? I suppose it could and yes, that would be faster, but nothing of any real substance. How much faster can he really be?

Well I guess you'd have to imagine how different sprinting, jumping, and accelerating on a broken foot would be. I know I couldn't really do it. Jones has proven the past three years that he is both extremely fast and unbelievably tough. Just an unreal physical specimen and a future star in the league in my opinion. Wouldn't be terribly upset or surprised if he came to the Bengals with the 4th Overall pick. I've been preaching him as a Top 10 value since mid-season and I'm glad his Combine was able to convince some that he's extremely talented.

Brooder
03-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't know where people are getting that Jones can run a sub 4.5 40. Even as a top prep WR, the knock on him, if you can call it that, was his lack of top end speed.

IMO he will be lucky to break 4.6, but he might have a 40+ inch vert, which is very impressive!!

Julio Jones needs a big season in 2010 to solidify himself in the 1st round.

He ran a 4.39 40 at the combine.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
He ran a 4.39 40 at the combine.

Yeah I wrote that.

And I was wrong. Julio isn't a guy who sometimes plays fast but had average timed speed.

He IS fast. Real breakaway speed confirmed, thus an (almost) entirely different prospect.

Anyway, I gave JJ his props immediately after his combine results. I think I was one of the first people on here to now compare Julio to a young T.O./Andre Johnson, which he is, and I'd even take him over AJ Green, because of his superior triangle numbers.

Big Bird
03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Julio does remind me a good amount of Andre Johnson. Not as dominate on the field, but physical tools are pretty close.

A.J. Green reminds me a lot of Sidney Rice. Either way, both are very special Wide Receiver prospects, and I'm still not sure which one I like more. For now, still going with A.J. Green, because I think he is superior at going up for the ball, fighting for the ball, and winning those battles. Amazing body control.

ElectricEye
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I didn't see a time THAT good coming, but I've never been in the group of people that thinks Julio Jones is overrated or slow. He has top, top notch physical tools. Andre Johnson is the obvious comparison in terms of play style and physical ability and it's really not a bad one.

yourfavestoner
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I said in another thread that Green/Jones reminds me of Rogers/Johnson in terms of playing styles.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
wtf I wasnt even the first person to bring up the Charles Rogers comp for Green :(

I don't see Andre for Jones, though. I think TO is closer but you can win with Julio. Did you ever hear him complain about Alabama's run first offense and short passes from McElroy? Nope

Lots of people prior to this season were ripping on Julio for lack of production in this thread. Come on guys, you gotta take the full college career into account. Half the guys in the top 10 were barely even on the radar last year at this time.

Gabbert is another good example of this from a different perspective. All the bashing because his TD numbers were low this year. If you flipped the stats of his 2 college seasons would he be getting as much hate? I mean it's not like his team didn't win this year. If he threw for all 6 TDs against McNeese State instead of just 1 would he really be any better of a prospect?

Complex
03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I said in another thread that Green/Jones reminds me of Rogers/Johnson in terms of playing styles.

a poor mans Rogers and Johnson

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
wtf I wasnt even the first person to bring up the Charles Rogers comp for Green :(

I don't see Andre for Jones, though. I think TO is closer but you can win with Julio. Did you ever hear him complain about Alabama's run first offense and short passes from McElroy? Nope

Lots of people prior to this season were ripping on Julio for lack of production in this thread. Come on guys, you gotta take the full college career into account. Half the guys in the top 10 were barely even on the radar last year at this time.

Gabbert is another good example of this from a different perspective. All the bashing because his TD numbers were low this year. If you flipped the stats of his 2 college seasons would he be getting as much hate? I mean it's not like his team didn't win this year. If he threw for all 6 TDs against McNeese State instead of just 1 would he really be any better of a prospect?

Other than Mike Vick, I can't remember the last QB projected to go top 3 who had as little statistical production their final year in college as Gabbert. For some reason he personally was unable to elevate his level of play, regardless of the opponent.

Even against the soft part of Mizzou's schedule, Gabbert couldn't light it up.

BuddyCHRIST
03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I've been a Julio fan since day 1, I've always had him ranked above AJ Green. But I too was shocked he was quite that fast, but he's just a freak athlete. He's been built like that since he was a freshmen.

ElectricEye
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I was expecting low 4.4, but not 4.3's with a broken foot. That's the thing that's lost as mentioned before. I've had that same injury before and it's hard enough to walk around comfortably, let alone run 4.3's.

wonderbredd24
03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Listening to Mel Kiper, he said for him that Julio Jones' stock was not impacted at all... that his combine was very impressive, but the foot injury brings up the durability question with Jones and that those two factors are basically a wash.

SenorGato
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Andrew Johnson = Nicer, less talked about version of TO on crappier teams.

DiG
03-22-2011, 03:15 PM
PFT reporting that Peter King says the Bengals have Julio ahead of AJ Green...

stephenson86
03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I reckon Jones plays slower than 4.39 but he is still a fast guy.

gpngc
03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
PFT reporting that Peter King says the Bengals have Julio ahead of AJ Green...

"A.J. has demonstrated acrobatic catching ability. They both have a big catching radius. Julio has been a tenacious blocker. The question is, what do you value most?''

Bengals will emphasize running the ball. Connect the dots...

I'm told the Bengals, who have the fourth pick and are considering a receiver, have Jones ahead of Green on their preliminary draft board. Coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't go that far this morning at the annual NFL meetings, but there's no question he's studying each guy. "That's the fun of the draft,'' Lewis said. "Sometimes we as teams all look at things slightly differently. But they're both going to be outstanding players. They're big, they play the game physically, they run well.

I highly doubt they take Green over Jones at this point.

But I honestly think they go QB anyway...

I never thought A.J. Green was that much better than Jones anyway...

BengalsPwn
03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
If the bengals really took Jones over Green, I would quit being a bengals fan. Green>>>>Jones>Baldwin>Hankerson. I would actually take Michael Floyd over Jones.

Clarkw267
03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Listening to Mel Kiper, he said for him that Julio Jones' stock was not impacted at all... that his combine was very impressive, but the foot injury brings up the durability question with Jones and that those two factors are basically a wash.

Uh oh!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/22/king-bengals-among-teams-that-have-julio-jones-ahead-of-a-j-green/

Don Vito
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Jones will be a beast in the NFL, he is a freak of nature and a great receiver. I think Green is still #1 because he might be a safer pick but Julio could wind up being just as good if not better if he ends up in the right place.

nepg
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I actually think Julio is the safer pick. He brings more to an offense than Green does. What Green brings is extremely valuable - don't get me wrong, but Jones can play in the slot, run reverses, bubble screens, and return kicks on top of doing the #1 WR duties of taking the top off the defense. He, potentially, is Wes Welker and Randy Moss rolled into one. No matter how he turns out, he'll bring something valuable to the offense.

With Green, he's either a Greg Jennings/Javon Walker (prime)-type (or something of that sort) or he flames out like David Terrell.

descendency
03-22-2011, 06:23 PM
If Julio Jones somehow makes it to pick 17, I don't care who else is on the board, the Patriots had better be picking him. Julio gives NE something it doesn't have - even if we have to trade/cut Julian Edelman (or Matthew Slater).

nepg
03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Agreed. Send Edelman over to KC for a 4th or 5th (he'd be extremely valuable to the Chiefs). Jones is the most useful player in this draft for the Patriots.

Pat Sims 90
03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
If the bengals really took Jones over Green, I would quit being a bengals fan. Green>>>>Jones>Baldwin>Hankerson. I would actually take Michael Floyd over Jones.

Ok because taking a top 15 player over a top 10 player would drive u over the top after so many worst decisions then this that they have made.

Razor
03-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Agreed. Send Edelman over to KC for a 4th or 5th (he'd be extremely valuable to the Chiefs). Jones is the most useful player in this draft for the Patriots.

I disagree. Send Wes Welker to KC for a second rounder (or more likely, a third round pick) and keep Edelman. WW's contract is up after next season and he will ask for a lot of money. Edelman has shown potential and even though he's not nearly as good as Welker the dropoff isn't that big a deal when your QB is named Tom Brady (or Peyton Mannining, Drew Bress, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers...). I don't think JJ will make it past the top ten though. He ran a 4.39 with a bad foot at 6'3# 220 lbs. That's incredible. I'd even trade up to get him as long as we kept #17.

Caulibflower
03-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Do you really think the Pats would cut a Pro Bowler in his prime to draft another guy at the same position?

AntoinCD
03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Do you really think the Pats would cut a Pro Bowler in his prime to draft another guy at the same position?

I'd say if there's any team in the NFL who would be more likely to do it it's the Patriots. Quite simply they wont over pay on a player. If they think Welker will want top 5 or top 10 WR money, chances are they wont pay him. Plus, they wont cut him they would likely trade him

descendency
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Richard Seymour?

CC.SD
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/julio-boobs-600x450.jpg

Caulibflower
03-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Richard Seymour?

Yeah, you're right. I actually thought Seymour was a little older than he is.

Obviously, the Pats have a reputation for turning over their roster and not spending big. I kinda knew I should have been clearer when I made that other comment, but I wasn't saying so much that I don't think they'd cut a productive vet, but rather was just musing about whether they'd cut a pretty unique player in Wes Welker who plays an integral role in their offense. He's not a prototypical WR, but he's certainly not a generic one, either, and I don't know if I'd be comfortable jettisoning a Pro Bowl-caliber player and replacing him with a rookie. I dunno. I'm more coming from a "Which players do you shell out the bucks for?" I mean, Brady gets paid.

Caulibflower
03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/julio-boobs-600x450.jpg

That really makes me wish I was Julio Jones. I mean 'those.'

Texas Homer
03-25-2011, 11:54 PM
After nearly a year of thought.....

How fast is Jones?.....Really Fast

Is there a solid comparison for Jones to an NFL player?.....Who cares. Dudes a Beast!

I know the 2011 draft is a long way off, but is he almost a top 15 lock if comes out after next season?.....Not sure about lock, but yes I'd guess top 15 pick. I wouldn't mind the Texans picked him.

I also would like to mention that from watching Alabama play last season that Jones is a devastating blocker at WR (imo).....Still like his blocking skills.

Let me also add I think that Jones is a tough tough kid. I've been impressed with the way that he has shown himself on the field.

K Train
11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
bump.

turns out hes got some serious wheels and he runs pissed off at the grass.

him and AJ have been spectacular as rookies, so uncommon