PDA

View Full Version : Early 2011 Offensive Guard Thread

Texas Homer
06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
How many OGs likely go in the 1st Round in 2011(if any)?

Are guys like Rodney Hudson, Mike Pouncey, and Kris ODowd (I know he is a Center) likely 2nd Round picks?

RealityCheck
06-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Mike will end up going higher than Maurkice.

Not by the Steelers, though.

bce
06-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I like the usc guy, a lot. If mike pouncey would have gone higher than markice pouncey, you would think he would have come out.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Mike will end up going higher than Maurkice.

Not by the Steelers, though.
Maurkice went extremely high for his position and I don't think Mike is as good.

Thumper
06-13-2010, 06:07 PM
How is Maurkice better than Mike, think about it, they've got the exact same genetics, have received the exact same coaching, they're basically the same player. The only thing that Maurkice had on Mike is versatility and that won't be the same come April, Maurkice played RG and C in his time at Florida and Mike has played both LG and RG in his time and this season he takes over as the starting C. They're basically the same prospect, just different names.

wonderbredd24
06-13-2010, 06:09 PM
How is Maurkice better than Mike, think about it, they've got the exact same genetics, have received the exact same coaching, they're basically the same player. The only thing that Maurkice had on Mike is versatility and that won't be the same come April, Maurkice played RT and C in his time at Florida and Mike has played both LG and RG in his time and this season he takes over as the starting C. They're basically the same prospect, just different names.

That's not how it works

bce
06-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Well, if everybody thought that mike was as good a player as markice, mike would have come out, dont you think?

RealityCheck
06-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Maurkice went extremely high for his position and I don't think Mike is as good.
I know. Maurkice is a better player than Mike, but somehow I see Mike going higher, maybe for staying all 4 years.

bce
06-13-2010, 06:14 PM
If markice is a better player than mike, why would mike go higher.

Thumper
06-13-2010, 06:15 PM
This isn't a very good guard class. Mike Pouncey is far and away the best offensive guard prospect if a team takes him as an OG, he was dominant last season for Florida. Justin Boren is a very good guard prospect. But the best guards are going to be the tackles that switch to OG, Jason Pinkston, Marcus Cannon, Benjamin Ijalana and Matt Reynolds all have the tools to be very successful guards.

Thumper
06-13-2010, 06:17 PM
That's not how it works

I realize that they're not the same because they're identical twins, but they're equally effective in the game, they're the same size, they're equally powerful, they're even in every phase of the game except experience at center at this point. Please, explain the differences between the two, because there really aren't any IMO.

bce
06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
And you know this how?

Thumper
06-13-2010, 06:29 PM
And you know this how?

Are you talking to me? Ummm you see, there is thing called actually watching games.

TuckNole
07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I was skeptical on Hudson in the first round because he played at 290 last year which I think is just too light to play elite OG at, but supposedly with FSU's new strength and condition staff, and new nutritionists, Hudson will play at over 300 this year and most say it is all really good weight.

He isn't a physical freak, but he has the exact attitude to play guard.

There is also a possibility that he can play center as he is FSU's backup center, so that versatility might come into play.

princefielder28
07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I think John Moffitt is the best guard prospect...he's got great size, feet and versatility...he's the best player along the Badgers' outstanding line and probably their best line prospect since Joe Thomas

yourfavestoner
07-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Just saw this thread, but Maurkice has much, much quicker feet than Mike. Mike's a good player in his own right, but isn't quite as athletic as Maurkice.

RealityCheck
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I sense the lack of Thomas Claiborne love.

K Train
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
i like pouncey2 but not nearly as much as i did pouncey1

i think Marcus Cannon will be a badass guard

RealityCheck
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Cannon will be a RT in the NFL.

Don Vito
07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I sense the lack of Thomas Claiborne love.

This. Claiborne is a stud, he has a mean streak and is very athletic for his size. Great strength and natural ability, this will be a big season for him.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
This. Claiborne is a stud, he has a mean streak and is very athletic for his size. Great strength and natural ability, this will be a big season for him.

Indeed, a very underrated player.

And Cannon doesn't necessarily have to be a tackle. I can see him being a dominant guard for a power-run team (cough, cough, Pittsburgh).

I'd love him in the Black and Gold, but I'd take Pouncey first, just for chemistry issues and whatnot. The Pounceys have been great together, no reason for that to stop.

What do you guys think of Orlando Franklin? Will he have to kick out to tackle because of his height? I know it's a problem for some guards, due to DT's getting under them more easily and whatnot (see: Herman Johnson), and since he's a true road-grater, maybe a move to RT would be good.

Sniper
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
The Big 10 has an extremely strong OG class this year led by Ohio State's Justin Boren, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski, and Michigan's Stephen Schilling.

Big_Pete
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Well the fact that two interior OL were gone by 25, shows that it certainly can happen again this year.

Justin Boren from Ohio State is one guy who could end up in the first round mix

TACKLE
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
What do you guys think of Orlando Franklin? Will he have to kick out to tackle because of his height? I know it's a problem for some guards, due to DT's getting under them more easily and whatnot (see: Herman Johnson), and since he's a true road-grater, maybe a move to RT would be good.

Orlando Franklin is actually starting at LT this year. He has lost a lot of weight and is much more athletic. Height is not an issue for him in the run game. He's easily one of the top run blockers in all of college football and can straight dominates guys at times. He is physical and nasty too. Herman Johnson was never nearly as powerful as people made him out to be because like you said, he struggled to get leverage. Franklin does not have those issues. He will probably be looked at as a RT prospect primarily but he can also play both guard position and could play LT at the next level if he had too.

RealityCheck
07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
The Big 10 has an extremely strong OG class this year led by Ohio State's Justin Boren, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski, and Michigan's Stephen Schilling.
Wisniewski is a center and nothing else.

JFLO
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
He played RG the whole spring game though...

RealityCheck
07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
He played RG the whole spring game though...
But he'll play C in the season and project as a NFL C.

Hines
07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
But he'll play C in the season and project as a NFL C.

No, he is playing RG. That's his natural position. He played well, but not great at C.

RealityCheck
07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I did read somewhere he would make a permanent move to center. Hmm...

Hines
07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Well he got moved back to RG IIRC.

TuckNole
07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Film breakdown of Rodney Hudson going against future NFL players:

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2010/7/13/1565974/best-on-best-film-review-on

VS. Robert Quinn, Aleric Mullins, Tydreke Powell, Cam Thomas, Quan Sturdivant.

zachsaints52
07-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Im a big Kris O'Dowd fan. I would rank him up there with Mangold and Alex Mack as the future of the Center position. Those three will be the Kreutz,Mawae, and Birk (I added Birk because my mind went blank haha)

nepg
12-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Has anyone seen much Michael Switzer (Ball State) this year? I saw him in a game a couple years ago and was very impressed with him.

ThePudge
12-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Keith Williams, Left Guard, from Nebraska has impressed me all season. He's a big guy at 6'5 310, a Senior, he moves pretty well, and he gets a great push in the run game. He's adequate in pass-protection and it's far from a hole in his game. The Huskers run a lot of their offense off of Williams and I think he'll develop into a very good pro. Not sure what his draft stock may be as of now, but the Senior All-Star games & Combine should help determine where he lands.

TheMorningZoo
12-03-2010, 05:20 AM
I don't think realistically any of the "guards" go first round on us this year. If any interior lineman do it will be Wisnewski.

If a Guard did based on talent it would be Hudson, but due to his " weight " being an issue, he will most likely go to a team in round 2 (houston, washington, seattle). Hell, maybe he projects to Center ?

I also agree with what most say about Cannon, he would do well for a power team and I think will be taken before Pouncey. More versatility (RT, G) and is pretty dominant. I see Shawn Andrews when I look at him. Only knock is for how " big " he is, he isn't as dominant as he should be if that makes sense?

slimcharles
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM

I love Franklin and I think he'll be a fast riser. He's playing LT right now (although he switches to RT in some sets), but he's got more experience at Guard.

He's got prototypical OT traits but his technique is raw, so he's probably going to have to intern at Guard if he hopes to start as a rookie. Ultimately, I think he's going to be the best OL prospect in this class outside of Rodney Hudson

Hudson is my favorite Guard prospect I've seen in 5 years. He also has experience at Center so there's some flexibility. I definately think he's going to be in the 310 pound range. It seems like his upper body is where it needs to be bulk-wise but his legs are a little skinny. Still though, he generates a lot of power and will hopefully get bigger in his lower half