PDA

View Full Version : Good article

liquidswords
03-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I like this article from BBI:

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/thoughts/gt73.htm

check it out.. it made me feel better about our off-season.

Go_Eli
03-18-2007, 11:36 PM
People just love whatever Eric from BBI does. He can do no wrong in the eyes of Giant fans.

GiantRutgersFan
03-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Nah not really....

I think Jacobs is gonna be a good back. but IDK what this guy is thinking. Rodney Hampton wasnt really an elite back. He was a good player for sure, and a guy I liked a lot, but he wasnt elite. We simply havent seen enough of Jacobs for anyone to be calling him a future star. I liked what I saw, but lets get real, we hardly saw the guy play and never for a full game.

He didnt address depth at all, which we have major issues at (I wouldnt be comfortable with a single backup we have stepping in on O-Line unless we re-sign Reugemer), plus we need more depth at DT and at least 2 more linebackers (one with starting potential, one as a backup if we dont re-sign Short), and some depth at WR.

I just think we are doing a bad job and needed to sign some guys either as a stopgap or for depth. no big name guys were needed, just a veteran or 2 (at WR, LB, CB, or DT that you can sign to 1 or 2 year contracts) to get some playing time, and a couple backups.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-19-2007, 07:14 AM
It's basically what every other giants fan is thinking but articulated well. I bet if every fan had the time to write an article, we'd get some really good ones. Some of the fans I've talked to are very smart, and know their stuff.

bigbluedefense
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
The article talks about Gilbride being a run and gun pass happy OC. Thats not something I like to hear. This article writer gets it, and is basically saying alot of things we've been saying for awhile now. But its all a moot point with Coughlin at HC.

We all know TC by now, he's not gonna change. He hasn't in 3 years, he won't now. He made absolutely no adjustments to his playbook for 3 years now. What makes us think he'll do it now? Chances are, we'll continue to throw it much more than we should, and TC probably gets fired at the end of the year if it doesn't work out. Id love to go with the 2TE offense and smash opponents into submission, thats what Giants fans love to see. Thats what New York Giant offense has been and always should be about. But with TC, I don't know if that will happen this year. Chances are we come out with 3 WRs and pass pass pass.

Jughead10
03-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure the playbook changed, but Gilbride definately called some plays that either Hufnagel never touched or just weren't in the playbook. I noticed that a handful of times during the Redskins and playoff games. I was in the stands in Philly sitting with an Eagles fan and I looked at him twice and said I have never seen that play run before. Can't remember exactly what plays though, I tend to drink a bit too much at the games.

bigbluedefense
03-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm not sure the playbook changed, but Gilbride definately called some plays that either Hufnagel never touched or just weren't in the playbook. I noticed that a handful of times during the Redskins and playoff games. I was in the stands in Philly sitting with an Eagles fan and I looked at him twice and said I have never seen that play run before. Can't remember exactly what plays though, I tend to drink a bit too much at the games.

The only thing I can think of is we did a couple of screen passes, which Huffnagel barely did, and we used the JLO sneak. Thats about it though.

Im really hoping we come out with more run heavy sets, and we should line up Shockey far wide more often to take a safety/lb out of the box.

The most important thing to me will be our commitment to the run game. We must have a stronger commitment to the run game, and we must run first, pass second. Our pass first philosophy is not something Im pleased with. I never believed in that type of philosophy. In Jersey, you gotta run the rock, early and often. We have to reduce Eli's work load, its too much for him.

Will that happen? I doubt it, not with this coaching staff. Hopefully Coughlin surprises me, but Im not expecting it.

Jughead10
03-19-2007, 09:55 AM
The only thing I can think of is we did a couple of screen passes, which Huffnagel barely did, and we used the JLO sneak. Thats about it though.

Im really hoping we come out with more run heavy sets, and we should line up Shockey far wide more often to take a safety/lb out of the box.

The most important thing to me will be our commitment to the run game. We must have a stronger commitment to the run game, and we must run first, pass second. Our pass first philosophy is not something Im pleased with. I never believed in that type of philosophy. In Jersey, you gotta run the rock, early and often. We have to reduce Eli's work load, its too much for him.

Will that happen? I doubt it, not with this coaching staff. Hopefully Coughlin surprises me, but Im not expecting it.

I remember a split back sweep to Tiki on the weakside that went for some yards in Philly. I think they split him Finn, why the hell would they split him with Jacbos? That would almost make too much sense. I don't think they ever ran that before hand. They also hand the quick pass to Plax where he just turned in caught the ball and ran when they saw the Eagles playing a little off. Plax bitched Considine and had a big gain on crucial third down. Notre Dame runs that a lot. Plax is so long if he just catches it a fall foward, he can get 3 to 4 yards.

bigbluedefense
03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I remember a split back sweep to Tiki on the weakside that went for some yards in Philly. I think they split him Finn, why the hell would they split him with Jacbos? That would almost make too much sense. I don't think they ever ran that before hand. They also hand the quick pass to Plax where he just turned in caught the ball and ran when they saw the Eagles playing a little off. Plax bitched Considine and had a big gain on crucial third down. Notre Dame runs that a lot. Plax is so long if he just catches it a fall foward, he can get 3 to 4 yards.

Im not sure if that Plax play wasn't just adlib between Eli and Plax. Our redzone playbook is still ridiculously idiotic. We barely ever do PA pass in the redzone. Thats so mind numbling dumb, its unbelievable. We win that game with better redzone playcalling. Ugh...

Jughead10
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Im not sure if that Plax play wasn't just adlib between Eli and Plax. Our redzone playbook is still ridiculously idiotic. We barely ever do PA pass in the redzone. Thats so mind numbling dumb, its unbelievable. We win that game with better redzone playcalling. Ugh...

True most of the times they are audibles. But either way they have never even audibled into that before. Coaches still have to put emphasis on when the audible in situation like that. Charlie in South Bend puts a lot of emphasis on that because ND runs it all the time for 4-6 yard gains. When you have long WRs with long arms who can keep CBs off their body and just fall foward, those plays really work.

As far as redzone calling. Didn't Eli hit Tim Carter with a PA pass in the redzone in Washington?

I can see what possibly could have been a preview of whats more to come. After a disspointing year with complaining of the same offensive problems it is easy to look past what might have been a few golden nuggest or glimmers of hope in the last two games.

bigbluedefense
03-19-2007, 10:26 AM
True most of the times they are audibles. But either way they have never even audibled into that before. Coaches still have to put emphasis on when the audible in situation like that. Charlie in South Bend puts a lot of emphasis on that because ND runs it all the time for 4-6 yard gains. When you have long WRs with long arms who can keep CBs off their body and just fall foward, those plays really work.

As far as redzone calling. Didn't Eli hit Tim Carter with a PA pass in the redzone in Washington?

I can see what possibly could have been a preview of whats more to come. After a disspointing year with complaining of the same offensive problems it is easy to look past what might have been a few golden nuggest or glimmers of hope in the last two games.

Yeah he did, but then against Philly we didn't. PA pass with Jacobs in the redzone is golden. I have no idea why we barely do it. Instead, we came out with 4 WR sets and threw it 3 times...in the redzone.

Sigh....I hope things change, but I just don't know if they will.

Especially since Gilbride has a history with the spread offense and pass heavy playcalling.

Forenci
03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I believe it was in playoff game where we were in the red zone twice and rather than bring in Jacobs to hammer it in like has been done so often during the season, Gilbride kept Tiki in and he got stuffed on several occasions. I think Gilbride and TC are two apples off the same tree. They both don't utilize players abilties in the offense.

It's why I've never been of TC from the beginning. He's way too old school when it comes to coaching. Same with Gilbride. They have this mindset that "no player should be too important to the team". Like utilizing a player will some how make their ego implode.

It's almost one of those things where you don't want TC to have a good season because it'll only hurt the team in the long run.

GiantRutgersFan
03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Well I disagree. I want the Giants to have as good a season as possible....

I think that with Jacobs as our primary rusher, we will probably have more 3rd and 4 situations, compared to 3rd and 7s that we had with Tiki (although tiki rarely lost yardage). Doesnt really sound like a a lot, but it makes a difference because the D cant figure on a pass or a run.

Forenci
03-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Well, I'd love to have a good year. I just hate TC with a passion. I don't think the Giants will ever get out of the "rebuilding" stage when he fails to utilize players correctly, as I know BBD stresses so often, with good reason I might add.

I must say though, I love Jerry Reese. He is a step in a good direction. He knows we need to use the draft to rebuild and that injury prone players have been one of the main reasons we've been pretty bad for the second half of the season.

GiantRutgersFan
03-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Well, I'd love to have a good year. I just hate TC with a passion. I don't think the Giants will ever get out of the "rebuilding" stage when he fails to utilize players correctly, as I know BBD stresses so often, with good reason I might add.

I must say though, I love Jerry Reese. He is a step in a good direction. He knows we need to use the draft to rebuild and that injury prone players have been one of the main reasons we've been pretty bad for the second half of the season.

Well... I think we gotta let the guy get through a draft before anyone "loves" or "hates" the guy. He could go out there and have a terrible draft, or a great draft. personally, I think we are lacking in depth and not gonna be able to immediately address that through the draft. And we had a real shot at being a contender this year with some offseason pickups. (I still think we can make the playoffs though). thats my only real concern and I think that we should be a contender next year

joepas171
03-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Nah not really....

I think Jacobs is gonna be a good back. but IDK what this guy is thinking. Rodney Hampton wasnt really an elite back. He was a good player for sure, and a guy I liked a lot, but he wasnt elite. We simply havent seen enough of Jacobs for anyone to be calling him a future star. I liked what I saw, but lets get real, we hardly saw the guy play and never for a full game.

He didnt address depth at all, which we have major issues at (I wouldnt be comfortable with a single backup we have stepping in on O-Line unless we re-sign Reugemer), plus we need more depth at DT and at least 2 more linebackers (one with starting potential, one as a backup if we dont re-sign Short), and some depth at WR.

I just think we are doing a bad job and needed to sign some guys either as a stopgap or for depth. no big name guys were needed, just a veteran or 2 (at WR, LB, CB, or DT that you can sign to 1 or 2 year contracts) to get some playing time, and a couple backups.

GFR-
I've seen enough of Jacobs already. FUTURE STAR. (as long as he gets at least 25 touches a game, some of em out in space). Droughns is only insurance (VERY GOOD INSURANCE IMO).

We do have some depth issues and we need to adress them in the draft for the most part. Reese and the other guys that make these calls need to do a good to very good job or we could be in trouble in that regard. We do have guys waiting for the chance to show their **** on the team already. Dont forget about them either. (Talking to you coaching staff, you know who they are! And I know who you are! So get it right!)

Besides Im pretty sure no one is gonna sign Rhoman PPPP-fifer. he'lll still be available.