PDA

View Full Version : OT's

TACKLE
06-20-2010, 04:24 PM
This is a very weak OT class especially when you compare it to the last two classes. There seems to be large contrast in views about who are the top guys are and where there value lies. At this point, how do you rank the OT's in this draft class.

princefielder28
06-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Here's my top ten tackles....

1. Jason Pinkston :: Pittsburgh
2. Anthony Castonzo :: Boston College
3. Joseph Barksdale :: Louisiana State
4. Matt Reynolds :: BYU*
5. Gabe Carimi :: Wisconsin
6. Nate Potter :: Boise State*
7. Marcus Cannon :: TCU
8. Nate Solder :: Colorado
9. Lee Ziemba :: Auburn
10. Jah Reid :: UCF

Carimi is #1 on several lists but he doesn't bring anything special, just a real solid player. Also, this class is full of some real good right tackle prospects.

Thumper
06-20-2010, 05:15 PM
This is an extremely weak tackle class. The only guy that I would be completely comfortable with taking in the top 15 is Joseph Barksdale and that is only if he is able to prove he can play on the blind side.

The class is mostly filled with players who are too light and would get tossed around like ragdolls and strictly right tackles.

Players that are too light:
Anthony Castonzo, Lee Ziemba, Nate Potter, Nate Solder

Players that are right tackles or even offensive guards:
Gabe Carimi, Jason Pinkston, Matt Reynolds, Marcus Cannon

Duffman57
06-20-2010, 05:49 PM
This is an extremely weak tackle class. The only guy that I would be completely comfortable with taking in the top 15 is Joseph Barksdale and that is only if he is able to prove he can play on the blind side.

The class is mostly filled with players who are too light and would get tossed around like ragdolls and strictly right tackles.

Players that are too light:
Anthony Castonzo, Lee Ziemba, Nate Potter, Nate Solder

Players that are right tackles or even offensive guards:
Gabe Carimi, Jason Pinkston, Matt Reynolds, Marcus Cannon

Isn't he like 6'8" 320? Thats too light how??

How is Pinkston strictly a RT? He's like 6'5" 305 and has really good feet.

Thumper
06-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Isn't he like 6'8" 320? Thats too light how??

How is Pinkston strictly a RT? He's like 6'5" 305 and has really good feet.

I've seen him as 6'8" and 305/310, that is far too light for someone who is 6'8".

And Pinkston does have good feet, but that doesn't mean that he can play LT.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Scouting-Series-Pittsburgh.html
However, the biggest concern I have with him at this stage is his overall range as I donít think heís a good enough athlete to reach speed off the edge at the next level. Heís consistently forced to open up his hips/shoulders toward the outside and push the pass rusher past the pocket on their outside speed rush if they get on top of him quickly.

critesy
06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
as an auburn fan i can tell you that he carries his weight great, he has an amazing frame. the problem with his game is all mental. like false starts and ****. he's definitely a mauler and would be the ideal right tackle. he sometimes has a slow first step an gets beat outside. hes poised to have a sick senior year and raise his stock but i dont think he'll be a left tackle in the nfl. come draft time i think his stock will be around what gosder cherilus was at from BC.

JFLO
06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
IMO, Pinkston is one of the more overrated players in the draft from an initial standpoint. His athleticism is way overrated while I really don't think he is that great of a pass protector.

My #1 is Anthony Castonzo as of now...I need to see more of Matt Reynolds, but I think his game is a little underrated at the moment. He shows flashes of lateral ability, but it's not enough at the moment, but I think he'll improve throughout the season.

I think Castonzo is head and shoulders above the rest and has the potential to be a Top 10 pick. Obviously he needs to bulk up tremendously because 295-300 just isn't cutting it, but he has great technique, elite experience and pretty good footwork. He held his own for the most part against Robert Quinn last season and I think if he can put on a decent showing this season, then a team will fall in love with him pretty quickly.

If anyone wants a sleeper, I'm really starting to like DeMarcus Love from Arkansas. Dude is an athlete and shows a lot of potential. Right now, he's probably going to end up in my 10-13 (Offensive Tackle wise) range when I rank my first Top 100 players in September, but he's definitely someone to watch.

My Top 5 OTs would probably go something like this:

1. Castonzo
2. Reynolds
3. Carimi
4. Barksdale
5. Potter

I think Barksdale has the most potential to jump up to #1, he's pretty comparable to Trent Williams. I think Carimi stays in the 2-3 range while I doubt Reynolds even declares, though I could be wrong.

princefielder28
06-20-2010, 07:00 PM
JFLO, what do you see in Carimi that suggests he's a better prospect than Barksdale or even Pinkston, who I feel you're really hating on???

and what happened to your love for Matt Reynolds??? i thought he was a top 10 prospect for you not too long ago

TACKLE
06-20-2010, 07:12 PM
If anyone wants a sleeper, I'm really starting to like DeMarcus Love from Arkansas. Dude is an athlete and shows a lot of potential. Right now, he's probably going to end up in my 10-13 (Offensive Tackle wise) range when I rank my first Top 100 players in September, but he's definitely someone to watch.

Hmm...interesting. I might have to hit the SEC Digital Network tonight and watch him along with some more Mallett.

I have two sleepers and in this class, I really believe it could be a sleeper who emerges as the top guy.

First off Tyron Smith from USC. He is Lil' D'Brick. He came in as a top flight recruit and is an incredible athlete. He has long arms, excellent feet and is a very talented pass protector. But like a young D'Brickashaw, he is definitely on the light side at about 285 and will struggle to anchor at times. He has a frame that could definitely add more weight and I expect his coaches at USC and the NFL will help him put on the necessary weight. If he can continue to improve and become more well rounded, it would not surprise me to see him emerge as the top OT prospect.

The other guy is Orlando Franklin from The U. Obviously a bit of a homer pick but if he can develop like some think he can, he is definitely a guy to keep an eye on. 2009 will be his first season at LT after starting 2.5 years at LG. Franklin came in at about 6'7 340 and was a massive mauling guard. But he has lost weight and is down to about 315 and is much more athletic and has really good feet. He is already a beast in the run game. Last season when Jason Fox was out against USF, Orlando Franklin did a great job at LT going against JPP and Selvie. He'll most likely be a RT prospect but he has the power and physical talent that he may bring some upside that many of the OT's in this class are lacking.

JFLO
06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
JFLO, what do you see in Carimi that suggests he's a better prospect than Barksdale or even Pinkston, who I feel you're really hating on???

and what happened to your love for Matt Reynolds??? i thought he was a top 10 prospect for you not too long ago

I just need to see more of Reynolds. I've been getting my Anthony Castonzo fix on lately and the more I watch him, the more I feel like he'll be a Top 10 pick if he can put up a solid season for the Eagles.

Carimi is far and away more polished than Barksdale and 3x-5x the run blocker that Barksdale is or may ever be. Barksdale struggles to get to the second level consistently and has too many mental lapses and I think his athleticism and lateral ability are overrated as well. He can lock on to the less athletic pass rushers, but if someone has a good first step and knows how to turn the corner, than Barksdale is toast.

Believe me PF, if Barksdale can prove to be somewhat the same force and still improve his game on the left side, then he'll probably be my #1 guy, but for now, he still has too much left off the board for me to rank him that high.

In my total rankings, Castonzo is somewhere in the 12-16 range while Reynolds is in the 17-20 range and Carimi is right in the mix as well. I think this OT class is just a tad better than some people are perceiving but the talent is lacking in some aspects. The depth definitely isn't there as it has been in the last two seasons, but there is still some substance.

On the Pinkston facet, I just don't see it. His athleticism is being waaay overhyped. I see him more as a RT or guard at the next level.

JFLO
06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Let me ask you something PF...

Since Jason Pinkston is your #1 tackle for 2011, do you honestly believe that he is a franchise caliber blindside guy? Obviously, we're still in the beginning phases of the process, but to be ranked your #1 guy, he has to be a franchise caliber or the closest to a franchise caliber tackle in your mind.

What makes him that kind of player to you? I'll give it to you that he is a good run blocker and his initial quickness is great, but I don't see the lateral ability to keep up with faster edge rushers or the strength to hold his own against the likes of a Justin Tuck or a Mario Williams?

Honestly, to me, he looks like a left guard at the next level. Whose to say he is all of 6'4", he could be 6'3"...the way he pass protects, at least in my opinion, he looks like a guard at the next level.

Thumper
06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I just need to see more of Reynolds. I've been getting my Anthony Castonzo fix on lately and the more I watch him, the more I feel like he'll be a Top 10 pick if he can put up a solid season for the Eagles.

Carimi is far and away more polished than Barksdale and 3x-5x the run blocker that Barksdale is or may ever be. Barksdale struggles to get to the second level consistently and has too many mental lapses and I think his athleticism and lateral ability are overrated as well. He can lock on to the less athletic pass rushers, but if someone has a good first step and knows how to turn the corner, than Barksdale is toast.

Believe me PF, if Barksdale can prove to be somewhat the same force and still improve his game on the left side, then he'll probably be my #1 guy, but for now, he still has too much left off the board for me to rank him that high.

In my total rankings, Castonzo is somewhere in the 12-16 range while Reynolds is in the 17-20 range and Carimi is right in the mix as well. I think this OT class is just a tad better than some people are perceiving but the talent is lacking in some aspects. The depth definitely isn't there as it has been in the last two seasons, but there is still some substance.

On the Pinkston facet, I just don't see it. I don't like his initial quickness and his athleticism is being waaay overhyped. I see him more as a RT or guard at the next level.

You have Carimi graded as a first rounder? I see nothing special in him, I see a good starting RT and thats it, maybe late round 2 early round 3 for me on him, he is average.

JFLO
06-20-2010, 08:32 PM
You have Carimi graded as a first rounder? I see nothing special in him, I see a good starting RT and thats it, maybe late round 2 early round 3 for me on him, he is average.

Let's hold off on the first round grade...just because he is in the 17-25 range on my board doesn't mean he is a first round talent. We are still in the initial process of this whole thing and to be graded out as a first round talent in June takes a lot of talent. To be honest with you, I think Castonzo and maye Reynolds are the only 1st round talents, as of now.

I would say that I would grade 13-15 players in the 1st round as of now.

Carimi has all the potential to be a 1st round player though and I don't understand the flak you have on him. Tremendous run blocker, consistently developing pass protector with great footwork for a guy who is 6'7" - 6'8" 320 pounds. IMO, he is the best run blocking tackle in the draft right now.

TACKLE
06-20-2010, 08:36 PM

Since Jason Pinkston is your #1 tackle for 2011, do you honestly believe that he is a franchise caliber blindside guy? Obviously, we're still in the beginning phases of the process, but to be ranked your #1 guy, he has to be a franchise caliber or the closest to a franchise caliber tackle in your mind.

As of right now, do any OT's in this draft fit that description?

JFLO
06-20-2010, 08:39 PM
As of right now, do any OT's in this draft fit that description?

That's a tough question for me to answer at least.

I think my Top four guys have the potential to eclipse that mark but it's going to take more work for Carimi, Reynolds and Barksdale. Castonzo has the most potential. If he can get his weight up to at least 315 at some point throughout his NFL career while still maintaining that athleticism and footwork, then yes, he can be a franchise LT. People don't realize that Castonzo has near elite technique and already has elite experience and freakish long arms. His lateral ability is pretty good as well.

Castonzo is the closest to getting that label as of this point. Will he get it? I'm not sure...I hope so.

bored of education
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
this overall classi sucks but i do think Castanzo will be the best OT from BC ever.

princefielder28
06-20-2010, 10:11 PM

At this point in time I don't view Pinkston as a "franchise LT" but I feel he's the most complete product available and that's the greatest reason why he's #1 for me. I would be surprised if Castonzo isn't my #1 OT at year's end but I wanna see him really dominate this year before I do so. I also expect, much like you, Barksdale to move up but again it's going to depend on what I see from him this year. You bring up his (Pinkston's) quickness and I'm not as concerned with it as you are but if there is a worry it is his size/length and it may cause him to kick inside at guard.

TACKLE
06-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Pinkston reminds me of a poor-mans Trent Williams. He's not quite as athletic, he's not quite as powerful but he brings a lot of the same traits to the table.

BeerBaron
06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
If you're picking in the latter half of the first round and/or you need a quality RT, you're in luck this year.

If you need that franchise caliber, blindside protector, not so much.....

We were real spoiled with LTs these past 2 years for sure.

Ozzy
06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I do not think this is a weak offensive tackle class at all. Carimi has a lot of potential to improve and develop, so does Castonzo, both could be borderline top 1st round picks. Sure might not be one that is top 5 but the depth is great and wait till these guys finish their seasons.

Let us not forget Reynolds as an underclassmen has great potential and guys like Ziemba could easily develop into 1st round picks. Gilbert is a solid 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick potentially and Carpenter is as well. Then you have Claytor who can develop down the road and Sowell is pretty solid also. Ontop of that you have Cannon and King, both solid 2nd or 3rd round guys possibly.

I am not high on Pinkston as some but still he is a solid lineman that can improve his game and be a fine player. Not sure where all of this Pinkston love is coming from however, hell if you compare him to former Pitt star Jeff Otah, Pinkston is a piece of junk, Otah was a monster on the line, I do not see that in Pinkston, or at least not in terms of run blocking.

I do not think this class is that weak considering potential underclassmen that could come out. Then you have the Georgia lineman who are very talented and very skilled. And clearly the likes of Barksdale has ability as well much less Hix on Texas.

So depth wise there is a lot of fine players, just depends on what your opinion of Carimi, Castonzo, Ziemba and Reynolds are much less the Florida lineman in Gilbert and Johnson.

I like all of those top four lineman a lot and think they have a lot of ability. Sure not a hyped guy like Anthony Davis or Andre Smith but they do not have to be.

OT
Gabe Carimi Wisconsin
Anthony Castonzo Boston College
Matt Reynolds BYU JR
Lee Ziemba Auburn
Marcus Gilbert Florida
James Carpenter Alabama
Bradley Sowell Ole Miss JR
Jason Pinkston Pitt
Nick Claytor Georgia Tech RS JR
Marcus Cannon TCU
Jarriel King South Carolina
Elvis Fisher Missouri JR
Cudahy Harmon La Tech
Josh Davis Georgia
Joseph Barksdale LSU
Carl Johnson Florida
Trinton Sturdivant Georgia
Kyle Hix Texas
Ryan Pugh Auburn

But yeah if you are talking standout elite, might have to look at the sophomore class of this year.
Xavier Sua-Filo UCLA
Riley Reiff Iowa RS
Jonathan Martin Stanford
Mike Goodman Jr Boston College

All of those players I really like, especially Reiff and Sua-Filo, sadly Sua-Filo will have to take a few more years since he is going on a mission.

Ozzy
06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Then you have the guards who some might want to move out to tackle and possibly could hypothetically.

Butch Lewis USC
Orlando Franklin Miami FL
Chris Stewart Notre Dame
Joel Foreman Michigan State JR
Cordy Glenn Georgia JR
Matt Kalil USC JR
Stephen Schilling Michigan
John Bender Nevada
Bryant Browning Ohio State
Ryan Miller Colorado

So that adds potentially more depth to the group, Lewis, Kalil, Franklin, Bender and Miller could all make that switch possibly. Not all likely but it is possible considering their development.

JFLO
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Either Kalil or Lewis will most likely be playing RT for the Trojans this year and I imagine it will be Kalil for the majority of the season.

Ryan Miller already plays RT for the Buffs. I doubt he declares, but he has decent polish for a JR RT and has some potential.

Bryant Browning's future is only inside at RG most likely...

Of the players you listed, I'm most intrigued with Cordy Glenn of Georgia. He played every position on the line last year besides center and played pretty well. He is absolutely massive and moves pretty well for a guy his size.

Steve Schilling's best potential is at LG where I think he can be a good player at the next level.

TACKLE
06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Either Kalil or Lewis will most likely be playing RT for the Trojans this year and I imagine it will be Kalil for the majority of the season.

No. Tyron Smith will start his second season at RT and Matt Kalil will take over for Charles Brown at LT.

JFLO
06-21-2010, 04:01 PM
No. Tyron Smith will start his second season at RT and Matt Kalil will take over for Charles Brown at LT.

Well whatever, one of them is not going to be playing tackle, that was my point.

Ozzy
06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I thought they moved Ryan Miller to guard last year, regardless he has potential as does Bender on Nevada.

Anyway, this supposedly "down year" for offensive tackles is completely changed if you take into consideration all of the talented interior lineman and if you look at overall all the offensive line prospects in general. I think this years upcoming class is just as deep as last years. Where mind you interior lineman were not that deep at all at the guard and center spot. When compared to this up coming season you got a lot of fine players.

Kristofer O'Dowd USC
Mike Pouncey Florida
Thomas Claiborne Boston College
Justin Boren Ohio State
Stefen Wisniewski Penn State
Butch Lewis USC
Rodney Hudson Florida State
Chris Stewart Notre Dame
William Vlachos Alabama

JFLO
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Yea, I really like this year's interior lineman class...

All three of O'Dowd, Pouncey and Wisniewski have the potential to be at least second round picks while I think guys like John Moffitt of Wisconsin and Boren can vault up the boards with solid seasons this year.

Also, don't forget about Ben Ijalana of Villanova. Small school guy but he's very athletic and is both a good run and pass protector. I'm going to stick by my statement of Jason Pinkston ending up as a guard at the next level until he proves otherwise and he would most likely be in my Top 3 interior lineman right now.

Ozzy
06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
JFLO I'm going to stick by my statement of Jason Pinkston ending up as a guard at the next level until he proves otherwise and he would most likely be in my Top 3 interior lineman right now.Sounds good to me, I am not sold on him as a player, maybe he would be better as a guard. As a tackle though nothing really amazes me about him at all.

critesy
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I do not think this is a weak offensive tackle class at all. Carimi has a lot of potential to improve and develop, so does Castonzo, both could be borderline top 1st round picks. Sure might not be one that is top 5 but the depth is great and wait till these guys finish their seasons.

Let us not forget Reynolds as an underclassmen has great potential and guys like Ziemba could easily develop into 1st round picks. Gilbert is a solid 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick potentially and Carpenter is as well. Then you have Claytor who can develop down the road and Sowell is pretty solid also. Ontop of that you have Cannon and King, both solid 2nd or 3rd round guys possibly.

I am not high on Pinkston as some but still he is a solid lineman that can improve his game and be a fine player. Not sure where all of this Pinkston love is coming from however, hell if you compare him to former Pitt star Jeff Otah, Pinkston is a piece of junk, Otah was a monster on the line, I do not see that in Pinkston, or at least not in terms of run blocking.

I do not think this class is that weak considering potential underclassmen that could come out. Then you have the Georgia lineman who are very talented and very skilled. And clearly the likes of Barksdale has ability as well much less Hix on Texas.

So depth wise there is a lot of fine players, just depends on what your opinion of Carimi, Castonzo, Ziemba and Reynolds are much less the Florida lineman in Gilbert and Johnson.

I like all of those top four lineman a lot and think they have a lot of ability. Sure not a hyped guy like Anthony Davis or Andre Smith but they do not have to be.

OT
Gabe Carimi Wisconsin
Anthony Castonzo Boston College
Matt Reynolds BYU JR
Lee Ziemba Auburn
Marcus Gilbert Florida
James Carpenter Alabama
Bradley Sowell Ole Miss JR
Jason Pinkston Pitt
Nick Claytor Georgia Tech RS JR
Marcus Cannon TCU
Jarriel King South Carolina
Elvis Fisher Missouri JR
Cudahy Harmon La Tech
Josh Davis Georgia
Joseph Barksdale LSU
Carl Johnson Florida
Trinton Sturdivant Georgia
Kyle Hix Texas
Ryan Pugh Auburn

But yeah if you are talking standout elite, might have to look at the sophomore class of this year.
Xavier Sua-Filo UCLA
Riley Reiff Iowa RS
Jonathan Martin Stanford
Mike Goodman Jr Boston College

All of those players I really like, especially Reiff and Sua-Filo, sadly Sua-Filo will have to take a few more years since he is going on a mission.

ryan pugh is AUs starting center

Ozzy
06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
critesy ryan pugh is AUs starting centerHe also has played left tackle and started at left tackle six times in 2007. Since when was versatility a bad thing? Regardless where he ends up he is clearly a solid prospect.

ToldLikeItIs
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
It's all about Reiff.

dannyz
06-22-2010, 06:56 PM
The class is weak even if UnderClassmen Declare it will still be weak.

Aloysius
07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
I recently did a study of Barksdale's tape; this evaluation is dead-on.

In the five games I watched, Barksdale gave up three sacks. He lacks great initial quickness, which leads to him having lots of trouble against speed rushers. Also, he appears to have a bad habit of missing his assignments.

And as you mentioned, his run blocking is only average.

From what I've seen, Barksdale didn't look at all like a top OT prospect in '09. That said, I've heard that he looked better in '08, and he'll have a chance to show marked improvement while playing on the blindside this fall.

TACKLE
07-15-2010, 02:19 PM
I recently did a study of Barksdale's tape; this evaluation is dead-on.

In the five games I watched, Barksdale gave up three sacks. He lacks great initial quickness, which leads to him having lots of trouble against speed rushers. Also, he appears to have a bad habit of missing his assignments.

And as you mentioned, his run blocking is only average.

From what I've seen, Barksdale didn't look at all like a top OT prospect in '09. That said, I've heard that he looked better in '08, and he'll have a chance to show marked improvement while playing on the blindside this fall.

I agree with you. I went back and watched him against Arkansas and did not see a top OT prospect. I have a feeling he is going to be the next Ciron Black/Barry Richardson. Someone people have has a first round prospect because he has great size and is a 4 year starter at a big program. But like those other two, its quite apparent that he doesn't have the feet and athleticism to be starting caliber tackles at the next level.

Aloysius
07-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I agree with you. I went back and watched him against Arkansas and did not see a top OT prospect. I have a feeling he is going to be the next Ciron Black/Barry Richardson. Someone people have has a first round prospect because he has great size and is a 4 year starter at a big program. But like those other two, its quite apparent that he doesn't have the feet and athleticism to be starting caliber tackles at the next level.
And to make matters worse, the Arkansas game probably was one of the better performances I saw from him. He had some trouble anchoring against Marcell Dareus, got walked back by Antonio Coleman, and let Kentrell Lockett put together some high quality highlight tape.

To me, he looks like a smaller George Foster -- probably has the physical tools to be a good right tackle, but the mental mistakes and lack of a mean streak are maddening.

critesy
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
lee ziemba came in at 6-8 319 today

OaklandRaider56
08-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Hmm...interesting. I might have to hit the SEC Digital Network tonight and watch him along with some more Mallett.

I have two sleepers and in this class, I really believe it could be a sleeper who emerges as the top guy.

First off Tyron Smith from USC. He is Lil' D'Brick. He came in as a top flight recruit and is an incredible athlete. He has long arms, excellent feet and is a very talented pass protector. But like a young D'Brickashaw, he is definitely on the light side at about 285 and will struggle to anchor at times. He has a frame that could definitely add more weight and I expect his coaches at USC and the NFL will help him put on the necessary weight. If he can continue to improve and become more well rounded, it would not surprise me to see him emerge as the top OT prospect.

The other guy is Orlando Franklin from The U. Obviously a bit of a homer pick but if he can develop like some think he can, he is definitely a guy to keep an eye on. 2009 will be his first season at LT after starting 2.5 years at LG. Franklin came in at about 6'7 340 and was a massive mauling guard. But he has lost weight and is down to about 315 and is much more athletic and has really good feet. He is already a beast in the run game. Last season when Jason Fox was out against USF, Orlando Franklin did a great job at LT going against JPP and Selvie. He'll most likely be a RT prospect but he has the power and physical talent that he may bring some upside that many of the OT's in this class are lacking.

This does look to be a weak OT class. I agree with what you said about Orlando Franklin, he has the tools to dominate and should make a good RT or OG in the NFL.