PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 09 and 10 roster

AntoinCD
06-23-2010, 05:19 AM
I recently seen this be discussed and thought it would be a good thing to do to get an interesting look. I have included players from last year who were subsequently traded/released etc and have included players who I think have a significant shot at making the roster this time.

QB-2009

Tom Brady
Brian Hoyer
Andrew Walter

QB-2010

Tom Brady
Brian Hoyer
Zac Robinson

After releasing Kevin O'Connell last year most assumed the Pats would get a veteran QB in to be Brady's main back up especially considering he was just coming off a season long injury. However Walter never really grasped the offense and was later realeased leaving Hoyer as the only back up QB. The first two on the depth chart stay the same this year but 7th round pick Zac Robinson will battle Hoyer for the back up role.

What sets this year apart is that Brady is a further year removed from his injury and his level of performance should only improve on what was another good year last year.

EDGE-2010

RB-2009

Laurence Maroney
Fred Taylor
BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Sammy Morris
Kevin Faulk

RB-2010

Laurence Maroney
Fred Taylor
BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Sammy Morris
Kevin Faulk

This is one of the only positions where there has not been much movement with personnel. I'll give last year the slightest of edges simply because Morris, Faulk and Taylor are a year further towards the end.

Edge-2009

WR-2009

Randy Moss
Wes Welker
Joey Galloway
Greg Lewis
Brandon Tate
Julian Edelman
Matthew Slater
Sam Aiken

WR-2010

Randy Moss
Wes Welker
Torry Holt
David Patten
Brandon Tate
Taylor price
Julian Edelman
Sam Aiken
Matthew Slater

For me this is one of the most improved positions on the roster this year. Galloway and Lewis were brought in to battle for the 3rd WR spot and while Lewis didnt make the roster Galloway did and took away a spot from a promising WR I liked in Terrence Nunn. Julian Edelman last year at this time was a former QB who had never played WR and couldnt catch punts and Brandon Tate was just coming off a bad knee injury.

While the injury to Welker is a worry this year I can not help but be excited by what I am seeing. Edelman matured vastly during the season, Tate is looking sharp after a full offseason program, Moss is determined, Holt and Patten may be like Galloway and Lewis from last year however seem to be providing more leadership and Taylor Price, while late to minicamp, seems to be doing very well.

Edge-2010

TE-2009

Ben Watson
Alex Smith
Chris Baker
David Thomas

TE-2010

Alge Crumpler
Rob Gronkowski
Aaron Hernandez

I may be judging this all on potential and I may still have a sour taste in my mouth from the poor play of last year's TEs but I love this group. There is so much versatility now available that instead of being a real weakness this could be a strength. The Patriots can now go out in a 1 WR, 3 TE, 1RB set at the goal line and play smash mouth football, or have all 5 run routes and have mismatches. If a defense plays with a goal line package they will be too slow to cover Moss, Gronk, Hernandez, Crumpler and Faulk however if they play nickel or dime packages they will be too small to defend against the offensive line with two 260+ TEs and Hernandez and the RB pounding it. As I mentioned this is all potential as of now but I am given this clearly to 2010.

Edge-2010

OL-2009

Matt Light
Logan Mankins
Dan Koppen
Stephen Neal
Nick Kaczur
Sebastian Vollmer
Dan Connolly
Mark LeVoir
Rich Orhnberger
George Bussey

OL-2010

Matt Light
Logan Mankins
Dan Koppen
Stephen Neal
Nick Kaczur
Sebastian Vollmer
Dan Connolly
Mark LeVoir
Rich Orhnberger
George Bussey
Thomas Welch
Ted Larsen

There is a massive cloud hanging over this group which is allowing me to withhold judgement until it is settled. Logan Mankins. If he can mend fences and get back and play then I will give the edge to this year because apparently the staff feel they got a few steals in Welch and Larsen. However as it's looking now I have to give the edge to last year as losing Mankins is a huge blow.

Edge-2009

DL-2009

Richard Seymour
Vince Wilfork
Ty Warren
Jarvis Green
Myron Pryor
Mike Wright
Ron Brace

DL-2010

Vince Wilfork
Ty Warren
Gerard Warren
Damione Lewis
Myron Pryor
Ron Brace
Mike Wright
Brandon Deadrick
Kade Weston

This is the first position where the edge is easily given to last year. Losing an elite player like Seymour is obviously a big loss but also losing Jarvis Green who was a very good depth player also hurt. While the pickups of Gerard Warren and Lewis are good and the draft picks of Deadrick and Weston have potential this group is not close to as good as it was this time last year.

Edge-2009

LB-2009

Jerod Mayo
Gary Guyton
Tyrone McKenzie
Eric Alexander
Tully Banta-Cain
Derrick Burgess
Pierre Wodds
Rob Ninkovich
Shawn Crable

LB-2010

Jerod Mayo
Gary Guyton
Tyrone McKenzie
Brandon Spikes
Eric Alexander
Tully Banta-Cain
Derrick Burgess
Pierre Woods
Rob Ninkovich
Shawn Crable
Jermaine Cunningham
Thomas Williams

The linebacking core came in for a lot of criticism last year, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. However the one thing that was obvious was that the group as a whole needed to pick up their level of play. There were a lot of injuries last year and some players were new to the system, however many just didnt perform. This year it seems that there is real competition across the board. Spikes, Guyton and a healthy McKenzie will battle it out for one spot beside Mayo and there should be a very good rotation at OLB if everyone stays healthy.

Edge-2010

DB-2009

Leigh Bodden
Shawn Springs
Terrence Wheatley
Jonathon Wilhite
Darius Butler
Brandon Meriweather
Patrick Chung
James Sanders
Brandon McGowan

DB-2010

Leigh Bodden
Darius Butler
Terrence Wheatley
Jonathon Wilhite
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather
Patrick Chung
James Sanders
Brandon McGowan

There was no secret last offseason and the year before that the secondary needed to be upgraded. After seeing Ellis Hobbs being the main starter and being abused by even average WRs the front office made a big effort to bring in upgrades. Last year Bodden played very well and Butler showed flashes of potential but after that the CB play was not very good. Wilhite is much better suited to playing the slot and should not be matched up against the Marques Colston's of the NFL. Bringing in Devin McCourty not only upgrades coverage levels but also adds a real physical presence to the back end.

While the safety position hasnt changed in terms of personnel, Nick Caserio has stated that Pat Chung has had one of the best offseasons of any player and his skillset really meshes well with Meriweather who should be in line for another pro bowl level season.

Edge-2010

Overall with the exception of the offensive and defensive lines I see a real improvement across the board. If Mankins plays this year and we get solid play from the depth players on the defensive line then I see a much improved team.

Possible Cuts:

In the players with a good chance of making the roster 9 will have to be cut or assigned to the practice squad after training camp. I think those players will be;

Zac Robinson-Practice Squad
David Patten
Matthew Slater
George Bussey
Thomas Welch-Practice Squad
Pierre Woods
Eric Alexander
Thomas Williams
BenJarvus Green-Ellis

descendency
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
You left Sebastian Vollmer off of the OL list in 2010 and Seymour didn't play in 2009. So basically the DL just lost Jarvis Green, who was a good starter for the Patriots.

Jvig43
06-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Apart from the Mankins situation, I'm very excited this year. We have a very tough schedule but if our Offense can put up points, and we get some better play with our LBs, I think well be good.

AntoinCD
06-24-2010, 01:58 AM
You left Sebastian Vollmer off of the OL list in 2010 and Seymour didn't play in 2009. So basically the DL just lost Jarvis Green, who was a good starter for the Patriots.

Vollmer was left of by mistake but ive rectified that.

As for Seymour I said at the top I was including players who were on the roster this time last year who were later traded or cut. Greg Lewis didnt make the roster either for example.

Razor
06-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Apart from the Mankins situation, I'm very excited this year. We have a very tough schedule but if our Offense can put up points, and we get some better play with our LBs, I think well be good.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. The O-line is becoming a concern, pass rush has been my biggest concern and still is. Besides that, I think we're going to be fine. I actually think that LG will be a more natural fit for Kaczur than RT. Brady should have all day to complete his passes this year if Light and Vollmer play up to their ability.

nepg
06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
The 2010 squad is better in every single way. There isn't any area where they've taken a step back.

FlyingElvis
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
My concern is simple: the game is won in the trenches and I feel like we were weak in the trenches (O & D) last year and did not make any improvement this year.

nepg
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
The improvement offensively will be the development of Vollmer and the improvements made to the passing game and TE positions. In 2007, Brady was untouchable because the passing game was so deadly, teams just went in "please don't run up the score" mode on defense. The improvement to the OL will be the overall improvement to the entire offense.

Defensively, there were a lot of new guys being worked into the DL. Warren having a less than stellar year didn't help the transition to life without Seymour. I liked the young guys they brought in the last two years. There isn't anyone that was a high draft pick or a stud coming out of college, but there's a lot to work with and be optimistic about. This is kind of another situation where I think the improvements made to the defense overall will make this unit better.

Bigburt63
06-24-2010, 06:21 PM
My concern is simple: the game is won in the trenches and I feel like we were weak in the trenches (O & D) last year and did not make any improvement this year.

First, awesome avy, one of my favorite movies of all time.

Second, this. If Mankins is back, I think having Kazcur as the swing-guy and a full season of Vollmer at RT will be an upgrade. If Mankins is gone, then we have Connely as the swing-guy and Kazcur at LG, a downgrade at both spots IMO. The DL I think will be ok. The veteran type guys I think can form enough of a rotation that we will be ok. Also, I hate the hate (is that English?) Brace. You cannot bust after one year. Granted, it isn't great that Pryor passed him over and he was having mental issues, but DL is a tough position to transition into the NFL to.

descendency
06-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Vollmer was left of by mistake but ive rectified that.

As for Seymour I said at the top I was including players who were on the roster this time last year who were later traded or cut. Greg Lewis didnt make the roster either for example.

Oh. Oops. Sometime between getting from the top to the DL I managed to forget that part.

bhyg
07-07-2010, 08:38 PM
This is going to be a fun year. I think the PATS are going to play with an attitude this year.

Here's my pre camp 53:
QB - 2: BRADY, HOYER
RB - 4: MARONEY, FAULK, MORRIS, TAYLOR
TE - 3: CRUMPLER, HERNANDEZ, GRONKOWSKI
WR - 6: MOSS, WELKER, HOLT, EDELMAN, PRICE, TATE
OL - 9: LIGHT, MANKINS, KOPPEN, NEAL, VOLLMER, LARSEN (Larsen is going to be real good), LeVOIR, KACZUR, OHRNBERGER
K-P-LS - 3: GOSTKOWSKI, MESKO, INGRAM
DL - 7: WARREN, WILFORK, WARREN, WRIGHT, PRYOR, BRACE, LEWIS
OLB - 5: BANTA-CAIN, BURGESS, CUNNINGHAM, NINKOVICH, WOODS
ILB - 4: MAYO, SPIKES, McKENZIE, GUYTON
CB - 5: BODDEN, BUTLER, McCOURTY, WILHITE, ARRINGTON
S - 4: MERIWEATHER, CHUNG, SANDERS, McGOWAN

We are younger and have more depth, although I still think we will get even better next year