PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Unga

Splat
06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/23/more-than-20-teams-expected-to-attend-harvey-ungas-workout/

"The leading rusher in BYU history will have a large contingent of teams at his July 8 workout, in advance of the supplemental draft.

Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that more than 20 teams (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-labor-fight-623-20100622,0,7560628.story?track=rss) will be present."

thenewfeature06
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
So is he going to be in the NFL this year? haha too lazy to click on the article.

Is he an actual RB or can he play FB?

Splat
06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
So is he going to be in the NFL this year?

That depends on if a team takes him in the supplemental draft or not.:)

Shane P. Hallam
06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
So is he going to be in the NFL this year? haha too lazy to click on the article.

Is he an actual RB or can he play FB?

He can be a bruising RB or FB. My prediction is he'll go in the 5th round of the supp. to the Dolphins.

Aloysius
06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Unga's pro day 40 time could play a big role in determining what position he plays in the NFL.

The Dolphins would make sense, given how they're expected to lose both of their top RBs next offseason. But I wonder if they see him as much of an upgrade over Lex Hilliard.

Harvey Unga vs. TCU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz1S1PsOtLE)

onejayhawk
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
He can be a bruising RB or FB. My prediction is he'll go in the 5th round of the supp. to the Dolphins.

The Chiefs may have interest as a future replacement for Thomas Jones. The Fins and Chefs have a lot of coaching background in common.4th or 5th round is about right.

J

critesy
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM
bengals in the 4th.

Duffman57
06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
He reminds me a bit of Michael Bush. He's a king sized back who is very light on his feet and is a more than able pass catcher. I wouldn't be surprised if SD makes a bid at him but we would only be able to give up a 6th without WAY overpaying for him due to not having a 5th or 6th.

Grizzlegom
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I hope Miami doesnt use a pick on him because I'm personally really high on Sexy Lexy Hilliard but I agree with the assessment of a 5th round choice sounds about right.

freebirdsrams02
06-23-2010, 04:21 PM
The Rams need to go after him. Giving up a 4th or 5th for him would be ideal. The Rams have no depth behind Steven Jackson.

HawkeyeFan
06-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Can you imagine Steven Jackson taking a breather, and then POTENTIALLY here comes Unga? Sheesh, I'd feel bad for Defensive Backs.

YAYareaRB
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Being pretty much the ONLY BYU fan here, I'll give you guys a quick scouting report on Harv Dawg.

Positives - His size to speed ratio is more than adequate. He's deceptively quick and has some shifty moves for a guy his size. Production is there. He's light on his feet and can get around the front seven using his deceptive quickness. When he gets into the backfield, hes big enough to bully his way around. Definitely hard to tackle. He's the best pass catching RB that I've seen in some time. Great guy, good locker room presence.

Negatives - Injuries. Injuries. Injuries. He gets dinged up all the time and sometimes holds back when other players would tough it through. Sometimes goes down too easy. Makes the mistake of trying to run around everyone when he is capable of running right through them. Straight line speed might be average at best. Although shifty, he runs kind of stiff like that reminds me of Toby Gerhart.

Other **** - BYU's leading rusher. He's been a crucial part of that pass happy offense as soon as he stepped foot on campus. He's a good guy (I know him personally). Very humble dude. With the rise of two back systems, he should find a home on team that is lacking some depth at RB. He could turn into a really nice get for any team willing to take him.

I definitely hope he succeeds. Our families are really close with each other.

Splat
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Illinois DT Josh Brent to work out for NFL teams July 7 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100623_illinois_dt_josh_brent_to_work_out_for_nf l_teams_july_7)

Didn't want to start another thread.

HawkeyeFan
06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Being pretty much the ONLY BYU fan here, I'll give you guys a quick scouting report on Harv Dawg.

Positives - His size to speed ratio is more than adequate. He's deceptively quick and has some shifty moves for a guy his size. Production is there. He's light on his feet and can get around the front seven using his deceptive quickness. When he gets into the backfield, hes big enough to bully his way around. Definitely hard to tackle. He's the best pass catching RB that I've seen in some time. Great guy, good locker room presence.

Negatives - Injuries. Injuries. Injuries. He gets dinged up all the time and sometimes holds back when other players would tough it through. Sometimes goes down too easy. Makes the mistake of trying to run around everyone when he is capable of running right through them. Straight line speed might be average at best. Although shifty, he runs kind of stiff like that reminds me of Toby Gerhart.

Other **** - BYU's leading rusher. He's been a crucial part of that pass happy offense as soon as he stepped foot on campus. He's a good guy (I know him personally). Very humble dude. With the rise of two back systems, he should find a home on team that is lacking some depth at RB. He could turn into a really nice get for any team willing to take him.

Does he qualify as a West Coast Offense RB? Also, does he have potential to be a solid starter in the NFL?

Shane P. Hallam
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Not bad, I think you may be a bit too high on him. I don't see the quickness on tape that you describe. I think he often has trouble accelerating through the hole (which didn't hurt him in college, but will in the pros). It isn't what I'd want from a starter and I don't quite see starting potential. He could be a tremendous pass catching FB or a solid bruising runner, but I'm a bit skeptical past that.

YAYareaRB
06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Not bad, I think you may be a bit too high on him. I don't see the quickness on tape that you describe. I think he often has trouble accelerating through the hole (which didn't hurt him in college, but will in the pros). It isn't what I'd want from a starter and I don't quite see starting potential. He could be a tremendous pass catching FB or a solid bruising runner, but I'm a bit skeptical past that.

I didn't mean he was the quickest of backs but there is some quickness to him. the accelerating will be problem as well. Can't believe I left that off because that is what used to piss me off about him.

If he does end up being a FB, I wouldn't expect too much outta him from a blocking perspective. He's got a big body but he's got a finesse head on his shoulders. I'm not saying he's not willing to bang but hes very confident in his shiftiness. I don't think blocking is an asset you will be able to get out of him.

But if he gets into a system where he can be mostly a pass catching FB, like you mentioned, he could flourish.

I also don't think he'd be a starter, but as someone mentioned before.. he could provide good depth at RB with teams that are lacking that.

RealityCheck
06-23-2010, 06:03 PM
So, when's the Supp. Draft going to be? July, if I recall correctly?

Big_Pete
06-23-2010, 09:33 PM
So, when's the Supp. Draft going to be? July, if I recall correctly?

The supplemental draft will be held on July 15

yourfavestoner
06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Didn't he pretty much get run out of BYU for having premarital sex?

Duffman57
06-24-2010, 01:18 AM

Yep, unfortunatly for him, thats the code there, and that is the law. And they dont take their code lightly.

YAYareaRB
06-24-2010, 01:22 AM

He got his girl pregnant and there's no hiding that. So he decided to come clean and leave the team before they got discovered and get kicked off the team anyway

Duffman57
06-24-2010, 01:44 AM
He got his girl pregnant and there's no hiding that. So he decided to come clean and leave the team before they got discovered and get kicked off the team anyway

Where did u get that he got his girl pregnant? All i heard was that he had premarital sex and came clean to it.

YAYareaRB
06-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Where did u get that he got his girl pregnant? All i heard was that he had premarital sex and came clean to it.

I think it was in the media already but i know both of them well.. shes pregnant

Smooth Criminal
06-24-2010, 04:11 AM
I'd love to see the Steelers take him, even with a 4th. He'd be an instant improvement to the current FB situation, which is not having one.

yourfavestoner
06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Yep, unfortunatly for him, thats the code there, and that is the law. And they dont take their code lightly.

Ha, I thought this was pretty funny...

Steve from Orange Park, FL
I see where Unga will enter the supplemental draft, as he was run out of BYU because of allegations of premarital sex. Do you consider this to be a character issue?

Vic: Yeah, it would bother me that a group of people would deny a young man the pursuit of an education because he succumbed to natural urges. I see that as a character flaw.

Putting BYU on blast.

billybeejr
06-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Seems like he could be a great pass catching full back/goal line runner.

Shane P. Hallam
06-24-2010, 11:20 AM
I'd love to see the Steelers take him, even with a 4th. He'd be an instant improvement to the current FB situation, which is not having one.

Would be a wasted roster spot with how much Arians uses the FB.

RealityCheck
06-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Philly anyone?

Shane P. Hallam
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Philly anyone?

Charles Scott has it covered.

Go_Eagles77
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Philly anyone?
Nah, they already have McCoy, Mike Bell, and some young guys competing for the 3rd spot, Charles Scott being the leading candidate. I guess the Reid BYU connection is there but I don't see it.

YAYareaRB
06-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Well one thing is for sure. This guy (much like Gerhart) is NOT a traditional fullback

Caulibflower
06-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I can't see why Philly would take him when they've already got Leonard Weaver.

SloppyJoe
06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
i don't think it will happen, but i would really like to see him in a Bucs uni

Splat
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Twenty teams see Harvey Unga work out (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/08/twenty-teams-see-harvey-unga-work-out/)

Aloysius
07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
An interesting note:

The general consensus at the workout is teams are looking at Unga as a ball carrier rather than a lead blocker.More here (http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=2471).

holt_bruce81
07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Rams have shown interest for awhile now. They need a quality backup behind Steven.

draftguru151
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Illinois DT Josh Brent to work out for NFL teams July 7 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100623_illinois_dt_josh_brent_to_work_out_for_nf l_teams_july_7)

Didn't want to start another thread.

Brent is a pretty solid player, didn't know he was playing at Illinois next year, he should probably stick on a roster.

Don't get Unga for the Dolphins. They already have Ronnie/Ricky/Hilliard/Cobbs and Kory Sheets is also competing for a roster spot.

NIN1984
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Unga would be a great fit for the Seahawks since White didn't work out.

brat316
07-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Unga goes in the 5th round.

YAYareaRB
07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700046566/Unga-works-out-for-pro-scouts.html

For people who dont wanna click the link lol

40: 4.63
225 reps: 19
Vert: 35 inches
Broad Jump: 9'5"

Weighed in at 244 lbs and didn't drop a pass during the passing drills.

zachsaints52
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Rams have shown interest for awhile now. They need a quality backup behind Steven.

But they have Brian Leonard!!!!.... Oh wait.

I would love the Saints to try in the 4th, maybe 3rd. Since Bell left to Philly we need one bruiser back and I don't know if I trust Lynell enough to do that.