PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Ryan Mallett Comparison?

LonghornsLegend
06-23-2010, 08:36 PM
I can't really find any. Have there been many guys with his height/weight/arm strength ratio that were not complete bust? I can't seem to think of one person he favorably compares to at all.

Is he the first of his kind, or is there somebody I'm missing you guys can compare him to?

TACKLE
06-23-2010, 09:03 PM
It's tough to find one guy. If I had to compare him to somebody, it would be like a mix of Bledsoe and Flacco.

Hurricanes25
06-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I see a blend of Flacco and Rivers but thats just me.

TACKLE
06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I see a blend of Flacco and Rivers but thats just me.

I can see Rivers from a physical/leadership standpoint but his arm can't touch Mallett's

Hurricanes25
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I can see Rivers from a physical/leadership standpoint but his arm can't touch Mallett's

No doubt about that. Thats where Joe flacco comes in but I don't even think his arm touches Mallet's.

TACKLE
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
No doubt about that. Thats where Joe flacco comes in but I don't even think his arm touches Mallet's.

I agree with you there. As far as playing styles, Mallett actually reminds me a lot of Tom Brady but obviously Mallett is quite a bit bigger and has a much stronger arm.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Mallett's wind up and release is basically exactly the same as JaMarcus Russell's, Mallet just manages to be a little more consistent with his mechanics.

If Mallett succeeds, he's going to be a bit of a unique player physically, that's for sure. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because no one with his tools has had major success in the NFL yet, that means his chances are worse. Too much of the quarterback position is mental for physical comparisons to mean much past a certain point.

K Train
06-23-2010, 09:49 PM
jamarcus russell

/thread

yourfavestoner
06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
http://jerseysandgear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/New-England-Patriots-Drew-Bledsoe.jpg

But with slightly quicker feet.

Woody56
06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
a more athletic testaverde

Don Vito
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM
http://jerseysandgear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/New-England-Patriots-Drew-Bledsoe.jpg

But with slightly quicker feet.

He is a Bledsoe clone. Prototypical size, cannon of an arm, and pretty much everything else you look for in a franchise QB from a measurables/skillset standpoint besides mobility. Mallet is a better athlete probably but it is an understatement to say neither are going to beat you with their feet.

descendency
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
He's JaMarcus Russell without some of the athleticism but with a work ethic.

Bledsoe didn't struggle with accuracy like Mallett does at times.

edit: Please bare in mind, I'm not being negative when I compare him to Russell. While Russell was an abomination in the pros, it wasn't because of his talent. It was because of his lack of a work ethic or any care at all for anyone, which I think Mallett does have.

Russell was ungodly talented. A once every 5 or so year talent (maybe more quite frankly)

Mr.Regular
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
It's not a flattering comparison anymore, but he is very similar to JaMarcus Russell (the prospect).
The size, the rocket arm, the surprising feet, the deep ropes, his eyes always looking downfield etc..
This isn't a bad comparison. Russell was the best QB prospect I've ever seen. Laziness is what killed his career. He was as talented as they come. Mallett is extremely similar to him in terms of size and skillset. I'm expecting good things from him.

ToldLikeItIs
06-24-2010, 03:30 AM
Dan McGwire to the true draftniks.

ThePudge
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't buy any comparison for Mallett. He's not JaMarcus, he's not Bledsoe, he's Ryan Mallett.

He's more accurate, more confident, and more consistent than JaMarcus with a completely different personality. Right now his attitude is compared often to Phillip Rivers, a fiery competitor who may rub some the wrong way. Still, as evidenced late in the season, Mallett came in and took the reins eventually assuming a strong leadership role. In this, his second year with this batch of receivers/OL, he should be able to make strides in his communication and hopefully in his touch on short-intermediate passes.

Unless he falls apart this season, I'd say based on physical ability and innate Quarterback skills he's probably the best prospect I've watched. Obviously he's not the best college QB I've ever seen but he's a tremendous player with so much room to grow as a player/person. His footwork was a bit inconsistent last year due to fairly dramatic weight loss (roughly 265 to 235-240) and hopefully his foot injury this offseason won't slow his development too much there. He does some things you love to see: he's a very clutch player who'll make big time throws in big game situations, he runs the two-minute drill extremely well, he's a very strong figure in the huddle, and considering his arm strength he's an unbelievable decision-maker in the redzone. The type of player that could save an NFL franchise. Jake Locker is a great prospect in his own right, but to say Ryan Mallett is rare would be a drastic understatement.

Once in awhile you have to go out on a limb and that's exactly what I'm doing with Mallett, who I've watched extensively. He'll need to improve in a few areas but based on his potential and his progress in the SEC last season, it's not a stretch for me to say that he could be my top rated prospect of this decade.... We shall see, regardless I'm not crazy about any comparisons because I truly believe he can fit balls into windows down the field like no QB we've ever seen come from the college level.

Halsey
06-24-2010, 12:08 PM
If you like him, you compare him to Drew Bledsoe. If you don't, you act as if being big with a strong arm makes him JaMarcus Russell. In the end, the comparisons won't mean anything. He'll be Ryan Mallett.

Texas Homer
06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
I thought about it for a while and I couldn't really think of any NFL QB that Mallett reminds me a lot of that I could compare Mallett to.

I thought of guys like Brady and Russell, but in the end I just don't see it.

I forgot about Bledsoe and that would be an interesting comparison, but once again, I don't think Mallett is that similar to him.

I do think Mallett is likely a top 3 pick, but that is irrelevant to the thread.

ThePudge
06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
He's JaMarcus Russell without some of the athleticism but with a work ethic.

Bledsoe didn't struggle with accuracy like Mallett does at times.

edit: Please bare in mind, I'm not being negative when I compare him to Russell. While Russell was an abomination in the pros, it wasn't because of his talent. It was because of his lack of a work ethic or any care at all for anyone, which I think Mallett does have.

Russell was ungodly talented. A once every 5 or so year talent (maybe more quite frankly)

I don't exactly understand the accuracy knock some have on Mallett, my guess is you didn't spend much time watching him later on last season when he got comfortable. Mallett's first year in the SEC he out-produced Russell's best efforts. One will point to the fact that JaMarcus did it on a bigger stage but that has a little to do with the supporting casts at Arkansas and LSU.

JaMarcus was slightly better moving forward, but Mallett is a much better passer on the move. Though he had his occasional struggles a year ago roling to his left, when rolling to the right Mallett can thread the needle 60 yards down the field. From a sheer velocity standpoint Russell doesn't stand up to the Razorback. Ryan Mallett makes a 30 yard pass look like a 15 yard throw. Though (as I've said) his footwork in/outside the pocket needs a little touching up, he's no stiff. He shows great awareness in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and continued to improve his timing as the year went on.

People have been looking at completion % and making their own assumptions as to how it got to be like that. Most blame that on Ryan Mallett's accuracy though anyone who watched Arkansas an extended amount will tell you otherwise. If I had a dime for every receiver Mallett hit in the chest or hands with the ball....well...I'd have a lot of dimes. Big situations, small situations, it didn't matter, he was victimized by an ungodly amount of drops from his young wideouts. Occasionally when throwing the ball out in the flat 10-20 yards downfield balls will sail over receivers and he could definitely stand to improve his touch on short-intermediate passes (as often they come in a bit too hot to handle.) Still, accuracy has to be one of the rare traits he possesses. Whether it be short, intermediate, or (especially) deep Ryan Mallett possesses some of the best pin-point accuracy I've seen while watching the game at either the college or NFL level. Because of the velocity on his passes and his tremendous anticipation skills/vision in the pocket there aren't many holes that he can't squeeze a pass into.

I don't think many realize how impressive Mallett really was at Arkansas: 30 Touchdowns and 7 Interceptions while playing his first year in the SEC with a very average (young) receiving core and an average OL. Passer rating was 8th in the nation. The most dangerous arm in the SEC a year ago and IMO in the nation. The last three games of the season, in particular, numbers are very misleading as Ryan Mallett did everything he could to win those games only to suffer from dropped passes. He doesn't turn the ball over much for a gambler and his confidence in his abilities is top notch. I think you'll see some definite improvement from his receivers in their second season with the big gunslinger.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
If you like him, you compare him to Drew Bledsoe. If you don't, you act as if being big with a strong arm makes him JaMarcus Russell. In the end, the comparisons won't mean anything. He'll be Ryan Mallett.

Yea in the end draft projections and mocks wont mean anything better shutdown the site.

ThePudge
06-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Yea in the end draft projections and mocks wont mean anything better shutdown the site.

I don't think that was what he was trying to say at all. It's not pointless to make player comparisons, but in Ryan Mallett's case he may be completely unique. I saw things from him a year ago that I haven't seen from any college or pro Quarterback. In the end, he's Ryan Mallett and maybe fifteen years from now we'll be able to compare another freak prospect to him... but, for now, I don't think we've seen anyone quite like him.

hockey619
06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't exactly understand the accuracy knock some have on Mallett

I havent seen too much, and nothing really late in the season, but from what i saw his ball placement wasnt always all that great. Behind guys on crossing routes just a bit or underthrowing some so they caught it in a bowing position. More common though from my observations were the passes that were landing on the back shoulder of open guys. No disrespect meant to him though, he is a very talented prospect with unbelievable potential.

Halsey
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't see a problem with comparisons, but it seems people get comparison happy sometimes. Two players can be seemingly exactly alike and have dramatically different careers. The value of comparisons is highly limited and not a very dependable way to judge a prospect. It's best just to view each prospect as an individual. People often call Mallett thinks like "JaMarcus clone" because they're both big, strong armed guys. There's nothing about Mallett that suggests he's going to be fat and lazy in the NFL.

JFLO
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I havent seen too much, and nothing really late in the season, but from what i saw his ball placement wasnt always all that great. Behind guys on crossing routes just a bit or underthrowing some so they caught it in a bowing position. More common though from my observations were the passes that were landing on the back shoulder of open guys. No disrespect meant to him though, he is a very talented prospect with unbelievable potential.

If there is one knock I have on Mallett, it's his ball placement at times. He needs to learn how to put the necessary touch on his passes, especially in the red zone.

hockey619
06-24-2010, 12:55 PM
If there is one knock I have on Mallett, it's his ball placement at times. He needs to learn how to put the necessary touch on his passes, especially in the red zone.

Yeah whenever I talk about a Qb's accuracy, I mean more along the lines of his ability to put the ball where it belongs. People think completion percentage but thats a pant load of useless as far as I can see. Stats really kill sports talk, they explain everything in baseball but are rather useless in football but are brought up none the less because god forbid analysts actually watched full games and analyzed what the play on the field said, not the boxscore.

sorry mini-rant.

P-L
06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
There is never a perfect comparison. JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Mallett are similar players, but that doesn't mean they are exactly the same. Work ethic aside, it's a fair comparison. Both are big, strong quarterbacks with elite arm strength that play in the SEC. Both have limited mobility due to their size and small questions regarding mechanics. It's ridiculous to completely dismiss a comparison because of one attribute (in this case, work ethic). Now I'm not saying that the Russell/Mallett comparison is the best out there, but it's not far off.

FUNBUNCHER
06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
"From a sheer velocity standpoint Russell doesn't stand up to the Razorback."

Slightly hyperbolic IMO, but I get what you're saying Pudge, that in your opinion Mallett puts more rpms on the football than Russell.

I haven't studied Mallett, or watched more than one entire Razorback game last year. Just a quarter or two here and there.

Comparisons between present and former college/pro prospects for me is strictly based on measurables, and to a lesser degree playing style, so the comparison to Russell doesn't really bother me.

I'm really curious to see who has the more outstanding year in 2010, Locker or Mallett.

umphrey
06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
I'd go with Philip Rivers. Physically, it's an OK comparison, but mentally, on field demeanor, those aspects and other intangibles seem right.

RealityCheck
06-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Joe Flacco without the "ZOMG HE PLAYD @ DELAWARE!!111!1111!1!!1" factor.

bce
06-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I can't really find any. Have there been many guys with his height/weight/arm strength ratio that were not complete bust? I can't seem to think of one person he favorably compares to at all.

Is he the first of his kind, or is there somebody I'm missing you guys can compare him to?

Hes the most physically gifted prospect ever at the position, there are few comparisons.

Joe flaccos 6 6 240. So is matt schaub.

yourfavestoner
06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
So is Mallett a legit 6'7" or is he going to come into the combine at 6'5 1/2 or something?

bce
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Probably between 6 6 and 6 7, but 6 5 1/2 is sufficient. Doesnt matter much, bottom line he has prototype height.

FUNBUNCHER
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Hes the most physically gifted prospect ever at the position, there are few comparisons.

Joe flaccos 6 6 240. So is matt schaub.

He's not mobile enough to be the most physically gifted pro prospect ever.
That award to me, 'greatest pro prospect of alltime', belongs to John Elway.

bce
06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
He certaqinly throws in the john elway area, as far as arm strength, and as peyton manning and tom brady have proven, you dont have to be "mobile" at the position to be great.

wonderbredd24
06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
So is Mallett a legit 6'7" or is he going to come into the combine at 6'5 1/2 or something?
There are those who are criticizing him for being too tall, so I hope they aren't embellishing his height

bce
06-24-2010, 06:11 PM
So hes 1/2-1 in taller than joe flacco maybe. Is it really that much of a difference?

descendency
06-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't exactly understand the accuracy knock some have on Mallett

I watched him over-throw his WRs quite a bit and most of the games I saw were later in the season. If he progresses this year, I think it will be a tough decision for top teams to pass on either (Mallett or Locker).

He has great mobility for his size (not quite the statue that is Peyton Manning), but he's not a down field runner.

I don't see how comparing him to one of the best prospects in recent college football history is such a big deal. I haven't seen Jake Locker play much so Mallett is pretty much my #1 QB and #1 overall prospect, which I know some will find insane.

I just worry about him over throwing his WRs, which should improve with another off-season in his offense.

yourfavestoner
06-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Is Mallett a notorious partier/borderline alcoholic? Or am I thinking of someone else?

bce
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
supposedly, but so is ben roethlisberger

BeerBaron
06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Is Mallett a notorious partier/borderline alcoholic? Or am I thinking of someone else?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/kyleorton.jpg ??

Seriously.....5 of the first 6 images that pop up on google when you search "Kyle Orton" are him drunk.

srv fan
06-24-2010, 07:55 PM

I just graduated from Michigan, and it was common knowledge among students that Mallett was a huge partier. Any given night you could find him out at any of the cheap student bars - Skeeps, Ricks, Blue Jug, wherever. He also smoked cigarettes. Maybe he's matured and focused more on football since transferring, but maybe not...

LickaMahfeetz
06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Russell is a good comparison to me but I'm surprised no one mentioned Jeff George.

JHL6719
06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Mallet is definitely the first of his kind at the QB position.....he's a mix of several different guys it seems like.

His height/weight is the first thing that stands out.....Joe Flacco, Drew Bledsoe, etc. are the obvious comparisons here....except he's taller than both of them.. I'd bet that he measures in at over 6'6" and close to 6'7"....

I think people tend to forget (or just too young) to remember just how special of a talent Jeff George (6'4", 218 pounds) was physically.....his arm was absolutely breath taking... and what he also has in common with Mallet is that they both transferred from one D-1 program to another after 1 year..

Jim Druckenmiller (6'4", 235 pounds) was also a physical marvel.... he's legendary for being able to lift weights with his lineman in college....his arm strength was extraordinary...

Mallet is built NOTHING like Jamarcus Russell.... it's not even close. Mallet is much more wiry and thin....Russell was thick everywhere with his body structure.... Mallet has spaghetti noodles for arms.... ala Tom Brady....and slim from the waist down.

I'll say this, I watched all these guys play....and I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that I haven't seen an arm quite like Ryan Mallet's.....he can step and throw 50 yards with no arc on the football...astonishing... but he's going to have to learn to throw with better arc in the NFL.

What he accomplished as a 1st year starter in the SEC for a very mediocre team is very significant.

bce
06-24-2010, 09:18 PM
The florida game was the best. Ive never seen a college qb play that well getting lit up like he was. It was demolition derby day on ryan mallett, and he played great, especially at "money time" in the second half. When he wasnt getting lit up, he was unstoppable in every game.

FUNBUNCHER
06-24-2010, 11:36 PM
2nd coming of Dan McGuire.

phlysac
06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I see him as a more accurate combination of Dan McGwire and John Navarre.

J-Mike88
04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Drew Bledsoe & Dan McGwire are pretty good, but Mallett's delivery is slower than Bledsoe's was coming outta Wash State, but they look very similar.

To me, the closest comparison I can think of is a different Wash State 1st rounder, Ryan Leaf. Plus they both have had some problems in life.

Babylon
04-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Drew Bledsoe & Dan McGwire are pretty good, but Mallett's delivery is slower than Bledsoe's was coming outta Wash State, but they look very similar.

To me, the closest comparison I can think of is a different Wash State 1st rounder, Ryan Leaf. Plus they both have had some problems in life.

Sort of Joe Flacco with Ryan Leaf's personality.

nepg
04-17-2011, 08:13 PM

That's why he's not the consensus #1 overall like Bledsoe was. Bledsoe is the best comparison. Obviously, Drew was the better prospect for a few reasons.

FUNBUNCHER
04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
2nd coming of Dan McGuire.

I feel embarrassed for ever making that comparison.

Mallett is way better than that. But this was an opinion made before the 2010 football season.

WCH
04-17-2011, 09:32 PM
He's a poor man's Dan Marino, on and off the field.

Compare Marino to the guys playing in the NFL in 1982, and he towered over most guys. He was bigger, stronger, and could throw the ball out of the stadium. His off-field mystique (yeah...that's what we'll call it) was equally as notable.

I'd be stunned if Mallett is anything close to the next Marino (partly because the game has changed and mobile QBs are in style), but I see just a little bit of Marino in the kid.

initial_flo
04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Like a poor man's Carson Palmer. The good one before the injury, not the imposter version now.

SenorGato
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
He's a poor man's Dan Marino, on and off the field.

Compare Marino to the guys playing in the NFL in 1982, and he towered over most guys. He was bigger, stronger, and could throw the ball out of the stadium. His off-field mystique (yeah...that's what we'll call it) was equally as notable.

I'd be stunned if Mallett is anything close to the next Marino (partly because the game has changed and mobile QBs are in style), but I see just a little bit of Marino in the kid.

Funny enough, I've been putting Mallett to the Dolphins in alot of mocks recently.

They're only pretending to like Chad Henne.

GoRavens
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
he's Derek Anderson mixed with Dan McGwire

ThePudge
04-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Sort of Joe Flacco with Ryan Leaf's personality.

Whaaaaa? The ******** about his character needs to stop. So he isn't the best public speaker, does that mean he can't be a successful NFL quarterback? His attitude does not appear (remotely) to be a concern and his football IQ is top-notch.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=341306

- An article is contained in the link above. Very insightful and very well researched.

TheFinisher
04-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Just off the top of my head... Kerry Collins

+'s

Elite arm strength
Terrific deep ball, especially down the middle of the field
Smooth overhand throwing motion
Elite height/bulk
Shows good touch when given time and makes throws most QBs can't

-'s

Inconsistent
Crumbles under pressure and will force passes
Will throw untimely interceptions
Lacks mobility
Questionable character/Substance abuse

Kerry had a ton of talent, he had an up and down career but when he was on point he was as dangerous as anybody in the league (2000 NFC Championship game comes to mind).

DecisiveLeaf
04-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Kerry Collins. Boom.

Didn't see the comment above, but great minds think alike.

Handel
04-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Charley Casserly compared him to Jeff George (on and off the field)

ThePudge
04-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Charley Casserly compared him to Jeff George (on and off the field)

Jeff George was not even close to the college quarterback that Ryan Mallett was. Additionally, though he admitted drug use while at Arkansas, he seems to be a high character guy. Very respectful and intelligent.

Jeff George's Wonderlic was in the Vince Young league. Horrible comparison and a lazy evaluation on Casserly's part.

Babylon
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Jeff George was not even close to the college quarterback that Ryan Mallett was. Additionally, though he admitted drug use while at Arkansas, he seems to be a high character guy. Very respectful and intelligent.

Jeff George's Wonderlic was in the Vince Young league. Horrible comparison and a lazy evaluation on Casserly's part.

While i will say Casserly is terrible the drug past is an indication of his character, whether one like's it or not.

FrankGore
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f5223c/article/dont-be-fooled-by-what-teams-say-about-draft-prospects

Mike Lombardi says a lot of the concerns on Mallett are being overblown and he'll go top 15.

ellsy82
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
http://smoothmat.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/derek-anderson.jpg

jacko
04-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Kevin Federline...have you heard that idiot talk?

SRK85
04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
A white Quincy Carter.

Iamcanadian
04-19-2011, 12:48 AM
I think as an athletic QB prospect, the Bledsoe/Mallett comparison is pretty close minus the character issues.
In fact, since his college HC gave him a very strong recommendation character wise, he's back getting top 10 consideration by Washingtron according to NFLN.

CashmoneyDrew
04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I think as an athletic QB prospect, the Bledsoe/Mallett comparison is pretty close minus the character issues.
In fact, since his college HC gave him a very strong recommendation character wise, he's back getting top 10 consideration by Washingtron according to NFLN.

So.. Bobby Petrino is the one telling these teams about his character? That's ironic.

Woody56
04-19-2011, 01:12 AM
erik ainge

SolidGold
04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I think Drew Bledsoe is the best comparison.

phlysac
04-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I feel embarrassed for ever making that comparison.

Mallett is way better than that. But this was an opinion made before the 2010 football season.

I stand by mine...

I see him as a more accurate combination of Dan McGwire and John Navarre.

HakeemtheMachine
04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Mallet vs Ohio State

lCsPoXFpyaU

SoCalBam
04-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Jeff George comes to mind

trappeshot
04-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Mallet vs Ohio State

lCsPoXFpyaU

do you not realize the play before that he hit his (future NFL TE) DJ williams smack dab in the hands on the 10 yard line and he dropped the ball? Joe Adams dropped 2 TD passes that game. "And I mean, sure fire, dead on the money, just dropped. the hogs dropped 9, yes, 9 balls that game yet everyone blames that game on mallett.

Maybe, just maybe, if his receivers could catch, he would not be trying to force passes with 28 seconds left on the clock.

I am not saying mallett never made mistakes, but that's not the game you want to point to prove the point. the hogs receivers lost that game.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-23-2011, 03:44 PM
I see some Matt Schaub in him, the guy though is just so dumb it's hard to project him. His footwork and mobility though are definitely horrible.

DeathbyStat
04-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Derek Anderson