PDA

View Full Version : Steelers RT Willie Colon out for the season

scpanther22
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that Steelers RT Willie Colon expects to undergo season-ending Achilles' surgery on Wednesday.

Colon is the Steelers' best lineman, so this is a very tough loss for Rashard Mendenhall, immobile fill-in QB Byron Leftwich, and Ben Roethlisberger once he returns from suspension. Pittsburgh's most likely Week 1 front-five lineup now probably would have Trai Essex moving from guard to right tackle, Max Starks staying on the left side, and Maurkice Pouncey, Justin Hartwig, and Chris Kemoeatu on the interior. What once appeared to be a revamped and potentially promising group for 2010 has taken a significant blow
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3912

phlysac
06-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Jonathan Scott
Ramon Foster
Tony Hills
Chris Scott
Kyle Jolley

OUCH!

yourfavestoner
06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Over/under on how many quarters it takes for one of Byron's legs to break in half?

Hines
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
This hurts bad. I hope the Steelers at least work out Flo Adams or Levi Jones.

Brent
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
we'll trade you Barry Sims

prock
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
God their offensive line is gonna be ******* bad.

wonderbredd24
06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Bad offensive line gets worse

They are going to suck

Mr. Goosemahn
06-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Stupid Sean Kugler, he brought the Buffalo O-line injury bug to Pittsburgh.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Over/under on how many quarters it takes for one of Byron's legs to break in half?

John Abraham Week 1!

Hines
06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Colon is a huge loss, yes, but I think he's a little overrated. The dude is a penalty machine and not the greatest pass protector. What we will miss though is his great run blocking. The Steelers will miss him a bunch. I am not denying that. But it's not like we lost a Pro Bowler. I think his better position is kicked inside to guard.

This offseason sucks.

wonderbredd24
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Colon is a huge loss, yes, but I think he's a little overrated. The dude is a penalty machine and not the greatest pass protector. What we will miss though is his great run blocking. The Steelers will miss him a bunch. I am not denying that. But it's not like we lost a Pro Bowler. I think his better position is kicked inside to guard.

This offseason sucks.
No, he was pretty mediocre and he's out, so now you're picking a tackle out of your pile of ****** backups.

The Browns sacked Ben 8 times in the second game last season and I'm curious how many people can name a single player who got 1 or more of those sacks without looking it up.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-28-2010, 06:01 PM
I'd be more worried if Kemo got injured than with Colon's injury. When Kemo was out last year, we lost most of those games. His pulling plays are a staple for our running game, and he's as strong as they come. Sure, he can improve his pass-protection, but he's solid. Colon's loss, it's not THAT bad. It's bad, but, as Hines said, he's overrated. I don't know where people get that he's one of the elite RT's in the league. He's not. Or at least he gets way too many penalties to be considered one.

I guess this means we should play Dixon instead!

Hines
06-28-2010, 06:02 PM
No, he was pretty mediocre and he's out, so now you're picking a tackle out of your pile of ****** backups.

The Browns sacked Ben 8 times in the second game last season and I'm curious how many people can name a single player who got 1 or more of those sacks without looking it up.

I know.

I blame the 8 sacks on the OL and Bruce Arians. Also to Ben for holding onto the ball for that long.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I know.

I blame the 8 sacks on the OL and Bruce Arians. Also to Ben for holding onto the ball for that long.

Was that the game where we had been running the ball pretty well in past games, and their run defense was statistically poor, and Arians, for some reason, decided to go all Mike Martz and we lost?

wonderbredd24
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I'd be more worried if Kemo got injured than with Colon's injury. When Kemo was out last year, we lost most of those games. His pulling plays are a staple for our running game, and he's as strong as they come. Sure, he can improve his pass-protection, but he's solid. Colon's loss, it's not THAT bad. It's bad, but, as Hines said, he's overrated. I don't know where people get that he's one of the elite RT's in the league. He's not. Or at least he gets way too many penalties to be considered one.

I guess this means we should play Dixon instead!
There hasn't been an elite offensive lineman in Pittsburgh since Faneca left. No one on that line is any good, save possibly Pouncey

Pittsburgh has the worst line in the division and it's not even close, healthy or not, they just aren't good.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
There hasn't been an elite offensive lineman in Pittsburgh since Faneca left. No one on that line is any good, save possibly Pouncey

Pittsburgh has the worst line in the division and it's not even close, healthy or not, they just aren't good.

I know, and I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that I feel Kemo is more important to our offensive line that Colon is.

And Kemo isn't that bad, he could start on most lines.

Hines
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Was that the game where we had been running the ball pretty well in past games, and their run defense was statistically poor, and Arians, for some reason, decided to go all Mike Martz and we lost?

Yes. It was the game that Arians decided to call 40 pass plays in below 0 weather. It was also the game where Arians decided to go 4 wide shot gun on 3rd and 1 quite a bit. I hate that ******* man. If we ran the ball in those situations, that sack number would have been cut in half.

Hines
06-28-2010, 06:12 PM

All Pittsburgh fans agree with this. It just sucks that noone in the front office seems to want elite OL. I know they get picked in the early part of the first round and we generally pick at the bottom, but trade up. I wished we could see a Marvel Smith-Faneca-Hartings line again. Pouncey is a start. I think Starks is a decent tackle who should play RT. Kemo is solid. Move Colon to RG. Draft a frachise LT. Our OL could be set.

Malaka
06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow horrible turn of events for the Steelers, I really think they're bound for another disappointing season and probably another 3rd place finish in the AFC North with the Ravens and Bengals taking 1 and 2, respectively.

The Steelers have lost their QB for the first 6 (or 4) games, lost arguably their best receiver (Holmes), and lost their starting RT. That defense better step up big time now that Polamalu is back because that offense is pretty inept right now, as I say this I might add that I like Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall, but I still believe the former.

Scotty D
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Jonathan Scott
Ramon Foster
Tony Hills
Chris Scott
Kyle Jolley

OUCH!

Ouch! I don't even think those guys could block a young woman from getting to her drunk friend in the bathroom.

zachsaints52
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Im taking Kimeron Wimbley has to have one, he is the only pass rusher I can think of on the Browns.

Splat
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Im taking Kimeron Wimbley has to have one, he is the only pass rusher I can think of on the Browns.

And now he is a Raider.

wonderbredd24
06-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Good guess, but no

Corey Williams - 2
Marcus Benard - 2
Brian Shaefering - 1.5
David Bowens - 1
Hank Poteat - 1
Kaluka Maiava - .5

zachsaints52
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Good guess, but no

Corey Williams - 2
Marcus Benard - 2
Brian Shaefering - 1.5
David Bowens - 1
Hank Poteat - 1
Kaluka Maiava - .5

O was I I < that close to picking Maiava!!!!

bigbluedefense
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Anytime you lose a starting olinemen it hurts. It hurts even more when your oline isn't very good to begin with, and your depth is even worse.

This is a big blow to the Steelers, who can't afford any blows.

scpanther22
06-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Steelers fifth-round OL Chris Scott missed this week's Rookie Symposium to undergo foot surgery.

It's yet another blow to a Pittsburgh offensive line that's thinning quickly. The extent of Scott's foot injury hasn't been revealed, but we can't imagine he'll practice early in training camp. I.R. isn't being discussed yet.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5924

yourfavestoner
06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Anytime you lose a starting olinemen it hurts. It hurts even more when your oline isn't very good to begin with, and your depth is even worse.

This is a big blow to the Steelers, who can't afford any blows.

I predicted two years ago that the Steelers were going to start slipping because of their steadfast refusal to rebuild their offensive and defensive lines. I was off by a year (they squeezed one more year out of that group and won the Superbowl after all). You just can't ignore the offensive and defensive lines for that long. Hood and Pouncey are some nice pieces to start with, but ultimately it's going to be too little, too late. You just can't ignore the trenches for that long, especially when your depth is already crap to begin with.

This season might be a blessing in disguise for the Steelers, as it might put them in position to finally take an elite tackle to anchor their line.

Also Hines, if you think Ben holds the ball for too long, I don't know what you think is going to happen with Leftwich. They're pretty much the same player, except Leftwich has about 1% of the escapability and mobility of Roethlisberger.

K Train
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
i would think its jonathan scotts job to lose at this point but as much as i like colon its not like we lost a star player. hes a guard playing RT, ramon foster is damn near a clone of him. essex is a decent pass blocker but i dont want him at RT. now is the time to lose a player like this so its not in complete shambles mid year.

way to go steelers, drafting evander hood instead of making a move for oher...now we need a real LT and a real RT

LizardState
06-29-2010, 11:06 AM

This offseason sucks.

Rarely do you see a former championship-caliber team like this self-destruct before the regular season. The Rooneys must be shittin' brix.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
This season might be a blessing in disguise for the Steelers, as it might put them in position to finally take an elite tackle to anchor their line.

Maybe, although I'd be way too tempted to take Patrick Peterson over an elite tackle if he's available. That's just me though.

But I get your point. Hopefully Castonzo or Carimi would be the pick.

now we need a real LT and a real RT

I think we have our real RT in Starks.

So let's say we do have a pretty bad season and wind up top 10 or 15 and take a LT.

Castonzo/Carimi - Kemo - Pouncey - Colon? - Starks

The only job that would be up for grabs would be the RG spot, and we could also draft another guy to play there. Maybe the other Pouncey, BC's Clairborne (beast), or maybe one of the big tackles that can kick inside to guard (TCU's Marcus Cannon would be my choice).

Competition between Colon, Chris Scott, Trai Essex, Ramon Foster, Kraig Urbik (I know you hate him, lol), and the rookie would HAVE to give us the best player for the position. That's a lot of guys competing for a single spot.

Such an O-line would be exponentially better than what we have now, and it takes one draft, and just two picks, to fix it.

Hines
06-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Flo Adams could be a Steeler.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/29/flozell-adams-visits-the-steelers/

It's not great, but it's solid. Better player than anything else we have.

killxswitch
06-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Also Hines, if you think Ben holds the ball for too long, I don't know what you think is going to happen with Leftwich. They're pretty much the same player, except Leftwich has about 1% of the escapability and mobility of Roethlisberger.

This is so true. I really miss Sandwich being in the same division as Dwight Freeney.

yourfavestoner
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
This is so true. I really miss Sandwich being in the same division as Dwight Freeney.

Ha, with a rotation of Mike Pearson, Ephraim Salaam, and Khalif Barnes trying to block Freeney. The results were comical.

I still feel bad that things never worked out for Lefty. People in Jacksonville hated him from the moment he arrived because he was black and replacing St. Mark. He's as intelligent a quarterback as there is, never backed down against adversity, had a rocket of an arm, and was overall a good decision maker. He just cannot simply operate without lots and lots of space. And in the NFL, it's rare for a QB to have a perfect pocket to work out of.

LonghornsLegend
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Flo Adams could be a Steeler.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/29/flozell-adams-visits-the-steelers/

It's not great, but it's solid. Better player than anything else we have.

I actually think it's a good fit. He could easily play RT if you ask me, he's still as strong as an ox when he gets his hands on you. People talk about how big of a loss he'll be for Dallas but it says alot he hasn't had a bit of activity until somebody experienced a big loss.

He'll still be very solid, and much better then what you guys have to fill in. He's a nice 1 year fix, and I think he has more in the tank then Pace did when he signed with the Rams.

bigbluedefense
06-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I predicted two years ago that the Steelers were going to start slipping because of their steadfast refusal to rebuild their offensive and defensive lines. I was off by a year (they squeezed one more year out of that group and won the Superbowl after all). You just can't ignore the offensive and defensive lines for that long. Hood and Pouncey are some nice pieces to start with, but ultimately it's going to be too little, too late. You just can't ignore the trenches for that long, especially when your depth is already crap to begin with.

Yeah I can start to see them taking a dive. First and foremost, as you mentioned, they need to rebuild the oline. They also have an issue in the secondary, and I question how much longer LeBeau can be DC. I love the guy, but how many years does he have left in the tank as a DC? Doesn't he want to retire soon?

And when Tomlin takes over that defense, I think it takes a major dive. I don't think Tomlin is a very good coach honestly, I think he's Herm Edwards surrounded by Steelers talent and Dick LeBeau. Take away both, and we'll see what he's really made of.

scpanther22
06-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah I can start to see them taking a dive. First and foremost, as you mentioned, they need to rebuild the oline. They also have an issue in the secondary, and I question how much longer LeBeau can be DC. I love the guy, but how many years does he have left in the tank as a DC? Doesn't he want to retire soon?

And when Tomlin takes over that defense, I think it takes a major dive. I don't think Tomlin is a very good coach honestly, I think he's Herm Edwards surrounded by Steelers talent and Dick LeBeau. Take away both, and we'll see what he's really made of.

I thought Keith Butler was going to take over the steelers defense

bigbluedefense
06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
I thought Keith Butler was going to take over the steelers defense

We won't know until it happens. I think Tomlin will want to run "his" defense once LeBeau retires. Afterall, when you build your career on defense, its awfully hard to turn your cheek to your philosophies and go with an unproven guy.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM

As a Steelers fan I'm obviously biased towards arguing that they'll still be a good team in the future, but I'll try to be as unbiased as possible.

Offensively, the team is held back by the offensive line, nothing else. People sometimes dismiss the Pittsburgh offense because of Bruce Arians, but I do believe that if there was a moderately good offensive line in front of Ben and Mendenhall, the team would score a lot more.

Also, the offensive unit as a whole is still young. There are only six offensive players on the entire roster that are over 30. Out of all of those, only two start (three with Leftwich).

- Justin Hartwig - 31
- Charlie Batch - 35
- Byron Leftwich - 30
- Arnaz Battle - 30
- Antwaan Randle El - 30
- Hines Ward - 34

The rest of the team goes like this:

Roethlisberger - 28
Mendenhall - 23
Summers - 24
Wallace - 23
Miller - 27
Starks - 28
Kemoeatu - 27
Pouncey - 20
Colon - 27

Four of those nine have not yet participated in three seasons in the NFL. One is still legally unable to buy alcohol.

So, offensively, the future looks, as a whole, pretty good. There are young guys who have some promise in Dennis Dixon, Emmanuel Sanders, Jonathan Dwyer, and solid veterans in Byron Leftwich, Antwaan Randle El, and Mewelde Moore. Add a good tackle (hopefully next year in the first round) and the team could be much improved.

Defensively, the team is getting pretty old, but still has the talent to play well. There are some depth issues at safety and nose tackle, and those are the biggest defensive weaknesses for the next off-season, IMO, but there are good starters there.

The team is pretty stable at OLB, ILB, and CB. Yes, CB. Bryant McFadden is back, and while he had a bad season for the Cardinals, he played well in the Steelers defense. William Gai goes back to being a nickel corner, where statistically he ranked as the best in the league (true, non-homer fact) back in 08. Ike Taylor will be the other incumbent starter, and there's suddenly a group of young guys who can improve the unit. As is the case with defensive ends, Pitt never drafts CB's very high. Taylor was a 4th rounder, McFadden a 2nd rounder, Gai a 6th rounder, and so on. The young guys are Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, and newly drafted Crezdon Butler. Lewis is actually going to compete with McFadden for the #2 starting spot, so that's good news. Burnett got some playing time this past season as a rookie, and Butler is supposedly looking good so far.

Pittsburgh has the best pair of 3-4 OLB's in the league, and one of them is just 25 years old. Behind them are two fresh guys in Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson. ILB is similar. A young starter in Lawrence Timmons (24) who's set to break out, solid veteran in Farrior, capable veteran depth in Larry Foote and Keyaron Fox, and rookie Stevenson Sylvester.

That leaves D-Line and Safety as the major issues. Ziggy Hood is basically the only promising depth for the D-Line, while Ryan Mundy is the not-as-promising depth for safety. Behind Polamalu and Clark is Mundy and newly acquired Will Allen. Behind Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel is Hood, Nick Eason, and rookie Dough Worthington. Behind Hampton is Chris Hoke. So, the team needs depth and future starters, not immediate help. That's kind of a plus, I guess.

Those two are pretty big issues, but the other things, not so much. Issues? Yes. Huge issues? No. So, if the team drafts a LT in the first round, and goes d-line and safety with the next 2,3 picks, the team would be in pretty good shape for the future.

As for the coaching, Tomlin remains an enigma to many people. I like the guy, and think he's a good coach, but I guess only time will tell. Arians sucks, no Steeler fan would say otherwise, and LeBeau is a god. And when LeBeau retires, the defense will remain a 3-4 and Keith Butler will probably assume the reigns. He's had offers in the past, but rejected them all to stay with Pittsburgh. If for some reason he's not granted the job, then John Mitchell will get it.

So, in conclusion, the team's future is not nearly as grim as some people paint it out to be. For every bad year the Steelers have, they come back competitive for multiple years. There's talent and promise for the future, and it just takes one good off-season (FA and draft) to get the players the team needs.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-29-2010, 06:50 PM
We won't know until it happens. I think Tomlin will want to run "his" defense once LeBeau retires. Afterall, when you build your career on defense, its awfully hard to turn your cheek to your philosophies and go with an unproven guy.

Yes, Butler is the likeliest candidate to become the next DC.

Tomlin has already publicly stated that he's sold on the 3-4 defense.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_678630.html

He himself picked out Jason Worilds for the draft, over Sean Lee, who the front office and a couple other people wanted to draft. He believed that Worilds would be great, and his workout really reminded him of the workout that Woodley had back in 07.

LonghornsLegend
06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Yes, Butler is the likeliest candidate to become the next DC.

Tomlin has already publicly stated that he's sold on the 3-4 defense.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_678630.html

He himself picked out Jason Worilds for the draft, over Sean Lee, who the front office and a couple other people wanted to draft. He believed that Worilds would be great, and his workout really reminded him of the workout that Woodley had back in 07.

Well both guys are still 3-4 guys, but I was excited to hear that they really wanted Sean Lee to be inside, I trust the Steelers and them picking LBers for the 3-4.

Splat
06-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Steelers tackle Chris Scott expected to miss three months (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/30/steelers-tackle-chris-scott-expected-to-miss-three-months/)

scpanther22
06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
The Steelers reportedly plan to move OG Trai Essex to left tackle if they don't sign a starter at the position before the season.

This has disaster written all over it. Essex, a sixth-year player, has only been a starter for one season and, according to Profootballfocus, struggled badly at right guard last year. PFF graded Essex as the 84th "best" guard, and with a league-high 27 quarterback pressures allowed. He was already in danger of losing his job to Maurkice Pouncey, so switching Essex to a much more vital position would seem to be as counter-productive as it could possibly get
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3300

Mr. Goosemahn
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3300

Don't move Starks, that's just plain stupid. If you're going to have a bad starting tackle, make it RT, not LT. Plus, Starks needs to keep playing the LT to keep his above-average play, he takes way too long to properly transition from one position to the next.

Just sign Flozell Adams, and it's not nearly as bad a situation as having Essex there.

K Train
06-30-2010, 01:08 PM
starks is left handed and although unspectacular at LT, everyone seems to forget how bad he blew ass at RT. keep him on the left

Mr. Goosemahn
06-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Essex really has no business playing for Pittsburgh. He's a 6'5, 330 lbs. finesse player. That's why he wasn't great for us.

Starks - 6'8 340 - run blocker
Kemoeatu - 6'3 340 - run blocker
Hartwig - 6'5 310 - run blocker
Pouncey - 6'5 320 - run blocker
Essex - 6'5 330 - ... just a big dude?

Mr. Goosemahn
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
starks is left handed and although unspectacular at LT, everyone seems to forget how bad he blew ass at RT. keep him on the left

Eh, he was good his rookie season I believe, or at least the 2004 Superbowl team.

But he did play like crap for the next two years.

Smooth Criminal
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
That hurts. I like Colon alot other than the penalties he takes.

I like them working out Adams for the spot, and I think Jon Scott is capable of playing. Really slaughters the depth at OT cause other than Scott theres no one capable of starting. Tony Hills hasn't done anything in his time, Foster spends most of his time at guard, and Chris Scott is a rookie.

Essex was drafted to play tackle and ended up having to play guard last year. I know I don't wanna see him in the starting lineup again.

K Train
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Essex really has no business playing for Pittsburgh. He's a 6'5, 330 lbs. finesse player. That's why he wasn't great for us.

Starks - 6'8 340 - run blocker
Kemoeatu - 6'3 340 - run blocker
Hartwig - 6'5 310 - run blocker
Pouncey - 6'5 320 - run blocker
Essex - 6'5 330 - ... just a big dude?

i agree with starks and kemo...once they get a hand on you in the run game its over

hartwig is a revolving door in all aspects of the game

pouncey is/will be sex in the pass game

essex is JUST a big dude...not a good fit for us at all

hills i had high hopes for...real high hopes, but i think hes about done.

foster could start at RG or RT imo

legursky is a better center than hartwig

jonathan scott COULD be a good RT for us, he has a little potential there

urbik is a bum

scpanther22
07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Deal between Steelers, OT Adams isn't imminent despite visit

The Steelers got the impression that Adams isn't ready to make a decision on where he will sign, and money also could be an issue. Adams, who was scheduled to earn over $7 million with the Dallas Cowboys before his release this offseason, is looking for a $4 million deal for 2010, according to the source. The Steelers were hesitant to go that high.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818e8844/article/deal-between-steelers-ot-adams-isnt-imminent-despite-visit