PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen the biggest impact player?

Splat
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/06/29/jared.allen/index.html

Why Vikings' Allen is NFL's biggest non-quarterback impact player.

Read and discuss this should be good. :)

bored of education
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree :) Jared Allen is sex

PoopSandwich
06-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Im gonna have to go with Chris Johnson... the dude practically was the titans last year and it was only his 2nd year in the league.

J-Mike88
06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I hate the guy, but I admit he's deservedly high.
I still think Polamalu is the best overall though, and we saw how much worse their defense was last year with Troy hurt.

Jared Allen..... hard for me to give any props to my evil enemies, but you have to tip your cap to thethe Grapes for being aggressive and adding proven talent not just thru the draft.

The draft-purists thought the Vikings were trading too much.
For every Adrian Peterson, there's a Troy Williamson, or Jamark Russell.....

How often do high draft pick DEs turn into guys this good? Ask Chris Long, Jamal Reynolds, Quenton Moses, Gaines Adams (RIP), Jarvis Moss, Vern Gholston....... we knew Jared Allen was a pure beast.
Damn Vikings. Why can't they just draft and develop.

Allen, Pat Williams, Winfield, Shiancoe, Longwell, Favre..... lotsa key players here that they didn't draft.

Dr. Gonzo
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree with this article. Jared Allen is a ******* game changer.

General Zod
06-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Love him or hate him, you cant argue with that write up.

killxswitch
06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
I wanted to argue for Dwight Freeney because he changes how a team prepares. But Allen's ability to play the run AND rush the passer is hard to beat. He plays the way Mario Williams should play.

yourfavestoner
06-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I wanted to argue for Dwight Freeney because he changes how a team prepares. But Allen's ability to play the run AND rush the passer is hard to beat. He plays the way Mario Williams should play.

TBH, I think both Dwight Freeney and Gary Brackett get a bad rap against the run. He's so short and stocky, that offensive tackles have a really hard time getting under him and moving him off the line. The majority of the time, he causes a stalemate, and when he doesn't, he's usually using his leverage and actually pushing the tackle into the backfield.

wonderbredd24
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Jared Allen might as well have not even dressed for the game against the Browns, so it's really hard for me to say it's him.

I'm inclined to say it's Darelle Revis right this second because of how much flexibility he gives the Jets defense. There are a ton of things they would be otherwise unable to do without him in their lineup.

TACKLE
06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
DeMarcus Ware certainly deserves a mention for the same reason as Allen. Dominant pass rusher who comes up with sacks in big moments and also plays the run very well.

yourfavestoner
06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Jared Allen might as well have not even dressed for the game against the Browns, so it's really hard for me to say it's him.

I'm inclined to say it's Darelle Revis right this second because of how much flexibility he gives the Jets defense. There are a ton of things they would be otherwise unable to do without him in their lineup.

Meh, one game against the NFL's best left tackle is a pretty small sample size to judge off of.

Splat
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM

We get it Joe Thomas is good...

yourfavestoner
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
We get it Joe Thomas is good...

Seriously. Stop hijacking every thread to throw in some comment about how awesome the Browns are. We get it. We'll start caring once they break .500.

TACKLE
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Andre Johnson anyone?

Certainly deserves to be in the discussion. Texans were the #1 passing team in the NFL and he's a HUGE reason why.

wonderbredd24
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Andre Johnson anyone?

Certainly deserves to be in the discussion. Texans were the #1 passing team in the NFL and he's a HUGE reason why.
I don't think it can possibly be a wide receiver no matter good he is, because he's dependent on the quarterback.

Revis affects the game no matter what... he frees up a defender to load up against the run or blitz or an extra defender to help elsewhere in coverage. Revis essentially gives the Jets an extra defender

J-Mike88
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Andre Johnson anyone?

True, but even with him, they've still never won anything. Not even made the playoffs.
I hate Jared Allen, but he's a big reason why they've dethroned the Packers for the division the past 2 years. Dammit.
And a big reason whey they were just a Favre-EffUp from getting to the Super Bowl this year.
Again, we saw what missing Polamalu meant for the Steelers, and Urlacher for the Bears. How would that Viking defense suffer missing Allen?

Viking fans don't want to see the answer to that. Packer fans on the other hand, well we missed Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett for all of 2008, so....

J-Mike88
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
That's because your QB was so bad, he just wanted to make sure he stayed in the game.

He shows up against the Rodgers, Brees, Romos of the world.

wonderbredd24
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
That's because your QB was so bad, he just wanted to make sure he stayed in the game.

He shows up against the Rodgers, Brees, Romos of the world.
I don't recall him doing much of anything in the playoffs

prock
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Jared Allen is a top 5 player in the league and doubles as the most bad ass dude alive.

zachsaints52
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I dont feel like looking, but I would love to see the players the Chiefs got in the deal for Allen.

prock
06-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Not stats wise, but Allen ****** dominated. Hurried Romo all day. They scored 3 points against us, Jared Allen had a good game.

wonderbredd24
06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Jared Allen is a top 5 player in the league and doubles as the most bad ass dude alive.

Top 5 player? Meaning everyone in the league?

Hyperbolic insanity

TACKLE
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM

You probably didn't watch the Dallas game then.

prock
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Hyperbolic insanity

Easily a top 5 defender. Depending on how your list goes, he could go in the top 5.

vikes_28
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
I want to do sex with Jared Allen.

zachsaints52
06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
I want to do sex with Jared Allen.

Youd be the female though.

vikes_28
06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Youd be the female though.

I'd take the female role if it were Jared Allen.

Splat
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I dont feel like looking, but I would love to see the players the Chiefs got in the deal for Allen.

LT Brandon Albert, RB Jamaal Charles and TE Brad Cottom, I would still rather have Jared Allen but the Chiefs did alright.

zachsaints52
06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
LT Brandon Albert, RB Jamaal Charles and TE Brad Cottom, I would still rather have Jared Allen but the Chiefs did alright.

They basically got what they wanted from the trade. They knew they wasn't gonna be competitive that year or the next few, so they got players to help them hopefully the next half decade. I like the deal for both when seeing both perspectives.

zachsaints52
06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd take the female role if it were Jared Allen.

Whats sad is he'd have the better hair.

J-Mike88
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Well that's good because me no likey him or the Vikings, but I seem to recall the Cowboys rolling all their extra pass protection his way which allowed Ray Edwards to rack up like 3 sacks on Romo from the other side, and then them pressuring Drew Brees into an under-200 yard passing game.

Razor
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
DeMarcus Ware certainly deserves a mention for the same reason as Allen. Dominant pass rusher who comes up with sacks in big moments and also plays the run very well.

^This.

Both DMW and Allen deserves this title, it's impossible to say one is better than the other. Both are just freakish athletes and play hard, smart and non-stop. When the Vikes traded for him I thought it was a pretty bad deal for them with what was going on off the field at the time. But I have to admit that it was a very good deal and Allen has done nothing but producing. Plus, he's just so ******* awesome.

PackerLegend
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Jared Allen is good no doubt but stat wise half his sacks were from 2 games against the Packers. Our O-line made some pretty average DE's look amazing. But like I said he is good but the biggest impact player... mehhh I dont know.

Also I just looked at the article and while 7.5 in 2 games is amazing. Its not against the O-line we had when Allen faced us so I dont know why a whole paragraph was wasted to brag that up.

Splat
06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Jared Allen is good no doubt but stat wise half his sacks were from 2 games against the Packers. Our O-line made some pretty average DE's look amazing. But like I said he is good but the biggest impact player... mehhh I dont know.

He has had atleast 14 sacks in each of the last three seasons, I'm not saying that makes him the best but I don't think what you are saying is a good argument.

bigbluedefense
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I love me some Jared Allen, BUT

I'd put the following guys ahead of him:

Troy Polumalu
Darrell Revis
DeMarcus Ware (only bc his ability to drop back, everything else is a stalemate)
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson

yo123
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
True, but even with him, they've still never won anything. Not even made the playoffs.
I hate Jared Allen, but he's a big reason why they've dethroned the Packers for the division the past 2 years. Dammit.
And a big reason whey they were just a Favre-EffUp from getting to the Super Bowl this year.
Again, we saw what missing Polamalu meant for the Steelers, and Urlacher for the Bears. How would that Viking defense suffer missing Allen?

Viking fans don't want to see the answer to that. Packer fans on the other hand, well we missed Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett for all of 2008, so....

Ummm our defense wouldn't be that bad. The only weak part on our D is the safeties. And please don't compare Jenkins and Barnett to Jared Allen.

yo123
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Also I just looked at the article and while 7.5 in 2 games is amazing. Its not against the O-line we had when Allen faced us so I dont know why a whole paragraph was wasted to brag that up.

Sacks are an overrated stat to an extent. Even when he wasn't getting sacks he was making a huge impact onthe game. I would love to see where he ranked in QB pressures last year.

Splat
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
The reason I give Jared Allen the edge is because the guy plays at such a high level no matter who he lines up next to.

He had a terrible supporting cast next to him his last year in KC and he still lead the league in sacks and that was after missing two games.

djp
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd still rather have DeMarcus Ware, but Allen is the best 4-3 rush end in the league. Ware simply has no holes in his game. You can trick Jared Allen on counters and draws.. not so much with Ware.

However, Allen is one of the best, if not the best lineman in the game at recognizing and blowing up screens.

PoopSandwich
06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Seriously. Stop hijacking every thread to throw in some comment about how awesome the Browns are. We get it. We'll start caring once they break .500.

Browns suck they got rid of Derek Anderson .500 will never be reached again.

Shiver
06-29-2010, 10:19 PM
It used to be Randy Moss, no doubt. Andre Johnson is good, but he has yet to get double digit touchdowns.

I would put the top-3 as so:

Darrell Revis
Demarcus Ware
Chris Johnson

YAYareaRB
06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Idaho State baby

J-Mike88
06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I'd put the following guys ahead of him:

Troy Polumalu
Darrell Revis & Charles Woodson
DeMarcus Ware (only bc his ability to drop back, everything else is a stalemate)
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson

Fixed .8)
If we're discussing impact, and someone mentions Revis, then they have to mention Woodson in the same sentence if they want us to take them seriously. Yes even if you're in New Jersey.

WOODSON NAMED NFL DPOY
The versatile Woodson tied for the league lead with 9 interceptions, returning 3 for touchdowns, and it earned Woodson 28 votes Tuesday from a nationwide panel of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters who cover the NFL. Woodson also had 63 unassisted tackles and 18 assists, plus 21 passes defensed, 4 forced fumbles and 1 recovery, 2 sacks for 18 yards, and 3 quarterback hits.

He doubled the number of votes (28-14) for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in becoming the first Green Bay winner since Reggie White in 1998 and just the second Packer in the 36-year history of the award.

Woodson, the 1997 Heisman Trophy Winner, is the first cornerback chosen as the top defensive player since Deion Sanders in 1994.

CpNPRcPmEtw

prock
06-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Charles Woodsen < Jared Allen

Paranoidmoonduck
06-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Allen won't keep this title long. Once Favre retires you know he's gonna be the guy under center.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/paranoidmoonduck/30cn2gh.gif

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/paranoidmoonduck/15n29nd.gif

prock
06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Jared Allen > Roflcopter, even in that video!

killxswitch
06-29-2010, 11:05 PM
TBH, I think both Dwight Freeney and Gary Brackett get a bad rap against the run. He's so short and stocky, that offensive tackles have a really hard time getting under him and moving him off the line. The majority of the time, he causes a stalemate, and when he doesn't, he's usually using his leverage and actually pushing the tackle into the backfield.

I agree with you that Freeney is tagged as a pass rusher only, and that it's not actually true. There was one year when he and Mathis were coached to rush upfield regardless of the play (I think it was 06 actually) and there was a lot of coverage around that.

They don't do that anymore, and both he and Mathis have had good plays against the run.

But he is obviously not on Allen's level of versatility. Nothing wrong with that, no one really is.

LonghornsLegend
06-30-2010, 01:57 AM

If you guys were still changing to the 3-4 you were going to have to trade him anyway. Or you could of forced him into a change and it blew up in your face like Aaron Kampman did with GB.

I think that's a pretty nice coup for a team rebuilding and being a long way away from contending. Franchise LT, what looks like a soon to be top 10 RB and big time game-breaker, and a solid TE(though I really think the TE you guys picked up this year will be something special).

Vikes99ej
06-30-2010, 02:15 AM

Hyperbolic insanity

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/040/447/original/Haters_gonna_hate.jpg

descendency
06-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Andre Johnson anyone?

WRs just are not that important. I love Andre and admit he's the #1 WR in the NFL but a DE who can dictate what the OL has to do on half of the side is always more important than a WR. He looks like he's a man among boys at times.

I know a lot of people will laugh when they first read this, but if you are talking about importance to their team, Wes Welker basically was the Pats run and pass game last year last year until he tore his ACL. Subsequently, the Patriots went on to embarrass themselves the very next game. I'm not saying he's the top non-QB in the NFL, but as far as value to a team goes without being a QB... he has to be up there.

Still, I think it emphasizes how unimportant WRs are in the grand scheme of things.

descendency
06-30-2010, 03:07 AM

He's almost got Peyton manning's pump fake down. (I can't find a video of it though :( )

General Zod
06-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Allen won't keep this title long. Once Favre retires you know he's gonna be the guy under center.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/paranoidmoonduck/15n29nd.gif

That is f-cking great.