PDA

View Full Version : What type of Safety prospect is UCLA S Rahim Moore?

LonghornsLegend
07-01-2010, 12:26 PM
I see him getting mocked to Dallas quite a bit already and I'm sure he'll be a popular pick for us mostly all year but I didn't get to see UCLA play very much last year and when I did he wasn't my focus but I'd like some insight as to how good he'll be at the next level, and how he compares to some past safety prospects.

What I read I like, and he sounds like a guy we need, which is basically a play-maker. His 10 picks last year were the most for any player since 1993 and that alone is highly impressive, he seems like he could be a great ball-hawking FS that can make plays on the ball in the air.

He's got some experience also which is huge, but I don't know how he'll time or what type of athlete he is either. Is he more of a late round 1st rounder at this point?

From what I gather he seems like exactly the type of player I'd want in Dallas, and is he clearly the better prospect to Deunta Williams?

Paranoidmoonduck
07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I think that Moore is a good ballhawk and centerfielder, but I think his stock will ultimately drop. Having another season like he just did will be difficult, and while I think he'll continue to put himself in the right place in the passing game, somehow I'd be surprised if he posts above 8 interceptions again.

The problem is that when people don't focus quite so much on his centerfield coverage skills, they are going to focus on his tackling, which is bad. He needs to show me much more in that facet before I predict him as a mid-late 1st rounder, because he was not up to NFL caliber as a tackler last year.

Aloysius
07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree with Mr. Moonduck. Here's a little highlight/lowlight tape of the UCLA safety: you can see the playmaking ability and the poor tackling.

Rahim Moore vs. Temple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0sFfFdQ-u0)

Moore isn't as nasty a run defender as Deunta Williams, but I do think he's better in coverage. Last year, Williams was the beneficiary of a high pressure defense that gave him some easy picks; Moore does a better job of creating his own INT opportunities.

TitanHope
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
A superior one to Eric Berry, if you ask D-Unit. ;)

lowlife
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I really like next year's S class.

Barron
McDaniel
Moore
Williams
Sands
Hill
Sash
Culliver
etc.

JFLO
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Yea, PMD pretty much summed it up. It's going to be pretty tough for Moore to put up the same kind of numbers this season now that teams know where he'll be at and what kind of player he actually is.

His tackling is pretty inconsistent and it needs to improve as well as his overall bulk. He's probably only around 190-195 right now, which won't cut it in the run game and when trying to deny any separation in the NFL.

He shows great vision and Read and React abilities and range though, which in today's NFL game, is highly, highly wanted.

I'm higher on Deunta Williams than most people though, but it would be a close ranking between the two. DeAndre McDaniel is #1 right now though.

LizardState
07-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I really like next year's S class.

Barron
McDaniel
Moore
Williams
Sands
Hill
Sash
Culliver
etc.

He's on the top shelf with Deunta Williams, Tyler Sash & Barron.

I think Williams is the best overall, Moore excels in coverage & did it vs. better throwing QBs like Luck & Locker whom he faces again this yr. He was a pure ballhawk in 09 leading the nation with 10 INTs. Tackling & playing the run arent his strong suits.

Barron started last season well but really tailed off by being out of position & blowing coverages & tackles toward the end of the yr, saved his starting job by picking it up in the SEC CG vs. Tebow & the Gators & vs Texas in the NC game to finish by leading the SEC with 7 INTs. He's supposed to be the secondary leader at Bama this season as he's one of maybe 3-4 starters returning on that defense.

I like Tyler Sash just b/c he has a cool name. -D

FUNBUNCHER
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
If Berry and Earl Thomas have bang-up rookie campaigns as pass defenders, I could see it really benefiting Moore in the 2011 draft.

Other than Will Hill, none of these other safeties right now are even on my radar.
The NFL places a high value on players who have a knack for getting to the QB or can create turnovers, so unless Rahim Moore falls on his face in 2010, a good season for him, assuming he tests well, almost assures he'll be a top 25 pick.

will99890
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Beast in Coverage, but has to learn to tackle well enough to tackle me before he suits up in the NFL. Dude is straight up horrible at playing physical. No ability to get off blocks (not a huge deal for a safety), but more concerning are the angles he takes and his approach to some tackles.

Taking poor angles + going high on the ball carrier = many,many TDs in the NFL even if he manages 8 ints a year.

RealityCheck
07-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm a big fan of Moore. I'd currently label him as an average man's Eric Berry. He could crack up the Top 10, though.

YAYareaRB
07-01-2010, 07:29 PM
this Safety class looks NIIIICE!

TACKLE
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
He's like a less athletic Earl Thomas. Though Rahim has a little bit bigger frame.

edit - The more I think of it, the less I like this comparison.

bce
07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I see him getting mocked to Dallas quite a bit already and I'm sure he'll be a popular pick for us mostly all year but I didn't get to see UCLA play very much last year and when I did he wasn't my focus but I'd like some insight as to how good he'll be at the next level, and how he compares to some past safety prospects.

What I read I like, and he sounds like a guy we need, which is basically a play-maker. His 10 picks last year were the most for any player since 1993 and that alone is highly impressive, he seems like he could be a great ball-hawking FS that can make plays on the ball in the air.

He's got some experience also which is huge, but I don't know how he'll time or what type of athlete he is either. Is he more of a late round 1st rounder at this point?

From what I gather he seems like exactly the type of player I'd want in Dallas, and is he clearly the better prospect to Deunta Williams?

At this point in all likelihoood a safety who probably had 5 passes thrown right into his hands. Is deunta williams a good prospect?

TACKLE
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Well neither Rahim or Deunta are the best safety in this class. That distinction would go to DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson. DeAndre is every bit the playmaker that the other two are but is also a better all-around athlete. At 6'1 210, he had 8 picks and is a great ball hawk but also has the physicality to come up in the box and make a big hit. He does have an off-field concern that may or may not become any issue, but the talent and ability is definitely there. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread to talk about a different player but it seemed like you were trying to figure out who the premier safety in this draft is between Williams and Moore and to me, McDaniel is pretty clearly that guy.

bce
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Well neither Rahim or Deunta are the best safety in this class. That distinction would go to DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson. DeAndre is every bit the playmaker that the other two are but is also a better all-around athlete. At 6'1 210, he had 8 picks and is a great ball hawk but also has the physicality to come up in the box and make a big hit. He does have an off-field concern that may or may not become any issue, but the talent and ability is definitely there. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread to talk about a different player but it seemed like you were trying to figure out who the premier safety in this draft is between Williams and Moore and to me, McDaniel is pretty clearly that guy.

Sounds like another guy who probably had 5 balls thrown right into his hands. Every time i watched clemson play defense, with all the supposed "talent" they got torched. Gave up a lot of points for so much "talent" in the games i saw.

JFLO
07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

I think the thing that is going to knock McDaniel's stock is the fact that he isn't excellent or dominating in one facet of his game. If he has anything below an above-average season, then I could see him sliding to the middle of the second round, which isn't anything to sneeze at all.

However, Rahim Moore is what scouts are looking for in safeties, especially today with the passing game being as dominant as it is. If Rahim Moore has a good season, puts up another 6-10 picks, then he's going to be vaulted immediately as the #1 guy.

I agree, I think McDaniel is the #1 guy right now, but I've pretty much prepared to see him slip a bit with even an above average season.

bce
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
why is that. why are these guys #1.

Most interceptions last year?

TACKLE
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I think the thing that is going to knock McDaniel's stock is the fact that he isn't excellent or dominating in one facet of his game. If he has anything below an above-average season, then I could see him sliding to the middle of the second round, which isn't anything to sneeze at all.

However, Rahim Moore is what scouts are looking for in safeties, especially today with the passing game being as dominant as it is. If Rahim Moore has a good season, puts up another 6-10 picks, then he's going to be vaulted immediately as the #1 guy.

I agree, I think McDaniel is the #1 guy right now, but I've pretty much prepared to see him slip a bit with even an above average season.

What you say about McDaniel is basically exactly how I feel about Moore. Don't expect either guy to be able to match their INT numbers from a year ago though I expect them both to have productive seasons. Moore is a ball hawk safety but he's an average athlete at the safety position. He's not as fluid as you'd expect from a center field type safety. I'd feel more comfortable lining McDaniel up over a slot WR than I would Moore. We know he has some tackling concerns. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely some things to really like about his game. He does an excellent job at diagnosing the play and we all know he does a great job at tracking and making plays on the ball. I just feel that in every area, DeAndre is just as good or a little bit better. If both guys come through with another productive season, I would have to give McDaniel the edge.

DeAndre McDaniel may fall in the draft but for a completely different reason. In 2008, he had an incident where he assaulted his girlfriend and was charged. There was conflicting stories and the charges never went through but it will be something teams will really have to look into.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I have to say that, for all the talk of the great safety class we may be facing in 2011, there isn't a single guy who I'm sure would rate higher than Nate Allen did for me in this past draft (and Allen was my 4th safety).

I do see potential in a few guys and I would agree that McDaniel is one of the most intriguing guys (although he's not the most intriguing, that title would go to Robert Sands), but I just don't see much 1st round talent, just a bunch of 2nd-4th rounders.

BamaFalcon59
07-02-2010, 02:22 AM
I have to say that, for all the talk of the great safety class we may be facing in 2011, there isn't a single guy who I'm sure would rate higher than Nate Allen did for me in this past draft (and Allen was my 4th safety).

I do see potential in a few guys and I would agree that McDaniel is one of the most intriguing guys (although he's not the most intriguing, that title would go to Robert Sands), but I just don't see much 1st round talent, just a bunch of 2nd-4th rounders.

I agree, I don't watch a ton of UCLA, but Williams is a second round talent in my opinion.

TACKLE
07-02-2010, 02:34 AM
As far as most intriguing, the guy I'd look at is Will Hill from Florida. He's probably the most physically gifted safety in the class. He was a very highly touted recruit coming out of HS. Florida's coaching staff comes up with different way and sets that will allow him to get him on the field such as utilizing a lot more 3-3-5 this past season. Yet this will be his first year as a full time starter. He has been a noticeable and an impact player when he is on the field and actually lead their team in ST tackles back to back seasons. A lot of people have high expectations for him and if he can play up to his potential, in this safety class, its possible that he could emerge as the top safety prospect in the draft.

Cigaro
07-02-2010, 03:00 AM
In to set the story straight on McDaniel:

It was not a matter of conflicting stories or charges not being filed.

He hit his girlfriend, choked her and pushed her down a flight of stairs. She had to go to the hospital with obvious wounds, so even if he did plead innocent, the evidence was clear. Charges were filed. However, McDaniel opted into the Pre-Trial Intervention program, which by nature requires an admittance of guilt(so yes, he did abuse his girlfriend if anyone still didn't believe after the hospital visit). So yes, McDaniel is an admitted woman-abuser. And if you want to argue that he admitted it just to get off early, you can refer back to the hospital evidence.

Saying that, on the field, he's my favorite safety prospect. Someone earlier said he probably had a lot of passes thrown right at him, and while he may, I saw him numerous times make excellent plays on the ball. He's also a big time hitter(lol), actually playing linebacker for a season because of Clemson's shortages at the position. Also, if I remember correctly, Clemson coaches regard him as one of the most athletic players, regardless of position, they've ever seen.

JFLO
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Will Hill has all the physical traits Tackle, but his he has to prove more on the field. I think his physicality on the field is a bit overrated. He doesn't finish his tackles properly and sometimes he'll shy away from contact all together. He seems to strive for the tackling ability on special teams, which is ironic and useless because if he's drafted high enough, his future isn't going to be on special teams.

Coverage wise, he's good. Good range, but he's going to have more responsibility in the NFL. They play with three safeties on the field at UF right?

yourfavestoner
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Will Hill has all the physical traits Tackle, but his he has to prove more on the field. I think his physicality on the field is a bit overrated. He doesn't finish his tackles properly and sometimes he'll shy away from contact all together. He seems to strive for the tackling ability on special teams, which is ironic and useless because if he's drafted high enough, his future isn't going to be on special teams.

Coverage wise, he's good. Good range, but he's going to have more responsibility in the NFL. They play with three safeties on the field at UF right?

They only did in certain packages this year, because they were literally overflowing with safety talent with Wright, Black, Hill, and Finley.

Hill will take over Reggie Nelson and Major Wright's "eraser" spot as the deep FS. The FS's role in Florida's D is pretty much identical to the way USC used Taylor Mays.

I agree with your assessment of Hill, too. His first two years, he was pretty much getting by on raw athleticism. I'm interested to see how he's progressed.

We're only a couple months away from CFB season guys!