PDA

View Full Version : Who to Watch

Duffman57
07-03-2010, 03:27 AM
This is kinda like a sleeper thread but since we're not even close to the season starting, i just wanted to make a list of guys who you think will break out and make names for themselves this upcoming year and be hot commodities come draft time so i can watch out for them durring the season. I'm sure i'll update mine later but off the top of my head, here are some guys that i like.

Da'Rel Scott RB, Maryland
Christian Ballard, DE/DT, Iowa
Robert Sands, S, WVU
Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn (Project but could be amazing)
DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss (Some people still have him as a 3 or 4th round pick for some reason.)
Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
Malcolm Williams, WR, Texas (TOish athleticism, but has a bit of the drops. If he can cure that, then he could be a 1st rounder)
DeMarcus Love OT, Arkansas
Stephen Paea, DE/DT, Oregon St (Same as Brown. People will say he's too short for the 3-4 and whatnot, i dont care, IMO he'd be just fine in the DE spot there. The man is a monster)
Christian Ballard DE/DT, Iowa (Perfect 3-4 DE candidate. Kinda reminds me of Odrick a year ago.)
Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St. (Freak athlete, his production is starting to match that athleticism)
Kenny Rowe, OLB, U Oregon (Homer? Yes, but this dude can flat out play, even though he's undersized. As my coach would say, this kid's a gamer.)
Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois (Another athletic freak with tons of upside. Leader mentality)
Nate Irving, ILB, NC State (His injury will bring him down a bit, but he's an awesome player and an even better leader.)
Javes Lewis CB, Oregon(Another homer pick. But perfect Zone CB, and great ball skills)
Chykie Brown CB, Texas (he's the F'ing Nickelback for Texas, but he is worth a mid round pick. Perfect nickel with crazy measurables. It doesn't help him that the two people in front of him is a mid 1st and a 1st/2nd round prospect respectively.)

And of course

Lawon Scott, NT/KR, Ole Miss (I mean who cant love a 330 lb NT who doubles as a KR man? lol)

(Ok, maybe that wasn't exactly off the top of my head, but its just the guys i like/remember scanning through WF/draft scouts' rankings, who i think can be good.)

bce
07-03-2010, 12:36 PM
This is kinda like a sleeper thread but since we're not even close to the season starting, i just wanted to make a list of guys who you think will break out and make names for themselves this upcoming year and be hot commodities come draft time so i can watch out for them durring the season. I'm sure i'll update mine later but off the top of my head, here are some guys that i like.

Da'Rel Scott RB, Maryland
Christian Ballard, DE/DT, Iowa
Robert Sands, S, WVU
Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn (Project but could be amazing)
DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss (Some people still have him as a 3 or 4th round pick for some reason.)
Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
Malcolm Williams, WR, Texas (TOish athleticism, but has a bit of the drops. If he can cure that, then he could be a 1st rounder)
DeMarcus Love OT, Arkansas
Stephen Paea, DE/DT, Oregon St (Same as Brown. People will say he's too short for the 3-4 and whatnot, i dont care, IMO he'd be just fine in the DE spot there. The man is a monster)
Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St. (Freak athlete, his production is starting to match that athleticism)
Kenny Rowe, OLB, U Oregon (Homer? Yes, but this dude can flat out play, even though he's undersized. As my coach would say, this kid's a gamer.)
Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois (Another athletic freak with tons of upside. Leader mentality)
Nate Irving, ILB, NC State (His injury will bring him down a bit, but he's an awesome player and an even better leader.)
Javes Lewis CB, Oregon(Another homer pick. But perfect Zone CB, and great ball skills)
Chykie Brown CB, Texas (he's the F'ing Nickelback for Texas, but he is worth a mid round pick. Perfect nickel with crazy measurables. It doesn't help him that the two people in front of him is a mid 1st and a 1st/2nd round prospect respectively.)

And of course

Lawon Scott, NT/KR, Ole Miss (I mean who cant love a 330 lb NT who doubles as a KR man? lol)

(Ok, maybe that wasn't exactly off the top of my head, but its just the guys i like/remember scanning through WF/draft scouts' rankings, who i think can be good.)

Cameron newton is an intersting player. He actually has to be the man there first i dont remember him being the man there.

Stephen pea isnt a sleeper he is a first rd pick on most boards.

Malcolm williams is a known commodity. Definitely one to watch.

Said this before and i'll say it again. the texas defensive backfield was swiss cheese I wouldnt put any of them on my team. They benefitted from an elite pass rush, when they had to cover it was bad news.

JFLO
07-03-2010, 03:55 PM
DeMarcus Love will probably be one of my Top 10 OTs at the beginning of the collegiate season. Underrated athlete with light feet and solid technique and actually pretty good lateral ability.

I think most people, including myself, have DeAndre Brown as a possible 3rd/4th round selection because of his lack of overall elite athleticism (at least 1st round type athleticism) and the leg issue, which will most likely slow him down (speed wise) for the rest of his football career.

In terms of the Oregon guys, I like Rowe the most. Little bit of a tweener, but the versatility that he offers is pretty intriguing. I don't think he'll have his hand in the dirt at the next level unless he can start pushing 250-260 range. He could be a decent role player guy in a 3-4 defense though. I think Javes Lewis has a lot left to develop before I consider him a 1st round talent. I realize that's not what your getting at in the thread, but the games that I've watched him in, he seems like he's always one step behind.

Casey Matthews is a guy to watch as well and OT Bo Thran.

princefielder28
07-03-2010, 04:11 PM
for me the most intriguing player / possible mover to watch at each position

QB - Ricky Stanzi
RB - Donald Buckram
WR - Vincent Brown
TE - DJ Williams
OT - Jah Reid
OG/C - Zach Hurd
DE - Craig Marshall
DT - Drake Nevis
OLB - Lawrence Wilson
ILB - Mario Harvey
CB - Jalil Brown
S - Brian Lainhart

Duffman57
07-03-2010, 11:34 PM

QB - Ricky Stanzi
RB - Donald Buckram
WR - Vincent Brown
TE - DJ Williams
OT - Jah Reid
OG/C - Zach Hurd
DE - Craig Marshall
DT - Drake Nevis
OLB - Lawrence Wilson
ILB - Mario Harvey
CB - Jalil Brown
S - Brian Lainhart

Other than leading the nation in rushing for a good part of last year, i really know next to nothing about Buckram. He seems like he could be an interesting playre though

Brown is a guy i like. Could be a great slot type candidate.

I dont know much about Williams, but he seems like he could be a great H back.

I've liked Nevis for a bit, but do you think he can play DE in the 3-4?

And as for brown. From what i've heard, he's a 6'6" 230 lb receiver who can run a high 4.4 or low 4.5 and has a pretty good vertical. I think thats pretty good athleticism, but i haven't really seen him play much. Just wondering, why did he go to Southern Miss in the first place when he had offers from schools like LSU, Auburn and Florida?

Texas Homer
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Said this before and i'll say it again. the texas defensive backfield was swiss cheese I wouldnt put any of them on my team. They benefitted from an elite pass rush, when they had to cover it was bad news.

I disagree.

Aaron Williams is likely a top 15 pick. It looked like teams avoided throwing to Williams side last season and he still got 3 int's. last season. Williams is very physical, athletic and has plus size (6'1 192) for a CB.

I wouldn't be surprised if Curtis Brown is a 1st round pick. Brown is a athletic Freak. I think Curtis Brown is Texas best coverage CB. Brown also has good size (6'0 180) for a CB. He can hit pretty good too.

Both Williams and Brown are very LEGIT (imo).

Chykie Brown looks like a 2nd or 3rd round pick to me at this point. Brown is listed at 6'0 187 and has long arms. He does need to work on some things, but Chykie is pretty talented as well.

I'm not trying to knock you personally. You have a right to an opinion. You may not want them on your team, but I think NFL GM's next draft may disagree and all 3 Texas CB's could end up getting drafted pretty high next draft.

We will see. There is A LOT of time between now and next draft. Who knows...

RealityCheck
07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
My sleeper team:

QB - Nathan Enderle, Idaho
RB - Derrick Locke, Kentucky
WR - Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
WR - Dwayne Harris, East Carolina
TE - Jeffrey Anderson, UAB
OT - Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State
OT - Johnny Culbreath, South Carolina State
OG - Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah
OG - Andrew Jackson, Fresno State
C - Brad Serini, Florida International

DE - Christian Anthony, Grambling
DE - Ricky Elmore, Arizona
DT - Martin Parker, Richmond
DT - Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas
OLB - Mario Addison, Troy
OLB - Winston Venable, Boise State
ILB - Alex DiMichele, Robert Morris
CB - Cortez Allen, The Citadel
CB - Julian Posey, Ohio
S - Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple
S - Mark LeGree, Appalachian State

Jernigan, Harris, Anthony and Jarrett are the most intriguing ones.

JFLO
07-04-2010, 07:18 PM
QB - Greg McElroy -- Alabama
RB - Armando Allen -- Notre Dame
WR - Titus Young -- Boise State
TE - Konrad Reuland -- Stanford
OT - DeMarcus Love -- Arkansas
IL - Ben Ijalana -- Villanova

DE - Jake Laptad -- Kansas
DT - Ladi Ajiboye -- South Carolina
OLB - Bani Gbadyu -- Penn State
ILB - Casey Matthews -- Oregon
CB - Justin Rogers -- Richmond
S - Jeremy Kellem -- Middle Tennessee State

Brent
07-04-2010, 07:32 PM
QB - Greg McElroy -- Alabama
can the QB of the national champs really be seen as a sleeper?

Also, since I really only follow one team closely, watch Cyrus Gray this season.

JFLO
07-04-2010, 07:45 PM
McElroy isn't considered as a top consensus Top 5 quarterback in this class, so yea, I still think you can consider him someone to watch. I currently have him in the 8-10 range in my rankings.

I would say as long as your not a Pre-Season Top 5-7 player at your position, then you can be a "Player to Watch" haha

critesy
07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
2 of auburns linebackers, both seniors.

craig stevens 6'3 230 - SLB. does everything well, every down linebacker, goood tackler and great in coverage.

josh bynes 6'2 245 MLB. i compare him to a taller london fletcher, just always there to make the tackle and plays every down.

Sniper
07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/kevin-koger-keith-dixson-2009-9-5-19-40-6.jpg

http://www.annarbor.com/assets_c/2009/10/RyanVanBergen-thumb-537x412-14141.jpg

http://www.thewolverineblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/woolfolk.jpg

tjsunstein
07-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Not sure how many people have watched a full game of Robert Sands compared to his highlight tape but he's made a lot of questionable decisions from what I've seen. Aside from McDaniel and Moore (and Williams depending on who you ask) this safety class is relatively weak where a guy like Sands (measurables + combine) could sneak up the rankings. His game play doesn't impress me as much as his potential.

That said, definitely someone to watch. I'm keeping my eye on his decision making. Likes to make that big hit instead of the smart play and interception instead of the logical knockdown. It could cost him.

OaklandRaider56
07-06-2010, 12:58 AM
How is Kendall Hunter's draft stock looking? He was injured for a large part of last season but when the guy's on the field he's an incredible runner and receiver. Gil Brant had him ranked ninth in his list of senior RBs, that just seems too low to me (Demarco Murray #1, overrated IMO). What are y'alls thoughts on him?

Duffman57
07-06-2010, 03:20 AM
How is Kendall Hunter's draft stock looking? He was injured for a large part of last season but when the guy's on the field he's an incredible runner and receiver. Gil Brant had him ranked ninth in his list of senior RBs, that just seems too low to me (Demarco Murray #1, overrated IMO). What are y'alls thoughts on him?

He looked good two years ago, but between looking very soft this year, and the ankle injury last year (i think thats what it was IIRC, but it might not have been) his stock took quite a huge hit.

Its all gonna depend on how he performs this year and how he looks. If he looks soft and doesn't cut well, then his stock isn't lookin too good, but if he can rebound and look good like his So. year, then he could very well be lookin at a pick in the range of the 3rd round. Its gonna be hard for him since there are so many backs like him in this draft (Quizz, Demps, Williams, Devine etc).

Halsey
07-06-2010, 06:39 AM
I doubt he'll enter the 2011 Draft, but Jordan Jefferson could be worth watching. He seems to have NFL tools, so if he puts it together, who knows.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I doubt he'll enter the 2011 Draft, but Jordan Jefferson could be worth watching. He seems to have NFL tools, so if he puts it together, who knows.

He is an interesting prospect. I'm interested to see his development from last season-offseason- to this season.

descendency
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM

QB - Ricky Stanzi
RB - Donald Buckram
WR - Vincent Brown
TE - DJ Williams
OT - Jah Reid
OG/C - Zach Hurd
DE - Craig Marshall
DT - Drake Nevis
OLB - Lawrence Wilson
ILB - Mario Harvey
CB - Jalil Brown
S - Brian Lainhart

QB: Terrelle Pryor.

princefielder28
07-06-2010, 11:26 AM
QB: Terrelle Pryor.

Pryor is a WR prospect; no way he makes it as a quarterback in the NFL.

JFLO
07-06-2010, 11:35 AM

He'll be drafted as a quarterback and I'm not sure if you can totally assume that he won't be a quarterback in the NFL just yet.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I like Pryor as a NFL QB prospect.

Sniper
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Based on what?

Halsey
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Based on what?

Elite athletic ability and size for an NFL QB
Winner
Experience in big games vs top competition
Experience dealing with huge expectations and pressure
Hard worker

crisco0710
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Jeremy Kerley - TCU

princefielder28
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Winner
Hard worker

But then you look at his mechanics and footwork and that combination is one of the worst in all of college football...experience can be both a plus and a minus at the position too because while he has played in some big games, he hasn't shown a great deal of improvement in his weak areas and at some point you have to question whether or not he'll get there...i will never question his athletic ability but he is an athlete playing quarterback; he's not a quarterback who's an athlete.

JFLO
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
People are just Terrelle Pryor haters and it's mostly due to the fact that they just like to hate on him.

Halsey gave the reasons why Pryor has the potential to be a good quarterback at the next level.

I, like everyone else, realize that he has made some bad decisions and needs to develop his mechanics, but I think most people knew that Pryor coming into his freshman and sophomore seasons wasn't going to have the Pure Passer mechanics of Jimmy Clausen or Matt Stafford coming out of High School or entering the NFL.

What's going to be funny, is the fact that if TP leads the Buckeyes to the BCS NC game (which has a decent shot of happening) and his mechanics develop ever so slightly, he's going first round. His potential is too much to pass up on, just ask Vince Young and Jeff Fisher.

princefielder28
07-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Pryor's entire game is based off potential because when you take the two years that he's given us, very little of his game suggests that he is anything close to the caliber of being a NFL QB. He can have all the athletic ability in the world but if the mechanics continue to be piss poor then he'll never get there, and like I mentioned experience can play against him too because he has not shown a great deal of improvement. If i had to rate Pryor as a QB coming into this season he'd probably sit right around #20 at the position alone and probably nothing more than a mid-rounder based of that word, POTENTIAL.

Halsey
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
People use the "He's an athlete playing QB, not a QB who's an athlete" cliche when talking about Michael Vick and Vince Young too. Vick and Young have been held back by their off field issues, not their ability on the football field. If Pryor can keep his head on straight, he has the potential to succeed as a QB in the NFL. So far I don't know of any off field trouble Pryor has gotten into. Hopefully he can learn from Vick and Young's mistakes.

Halsey
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Pryor's entire game is based off potential because when you take the two years that he's given us, very little of his game suggests that he is anything close to the caliber of being a NFL QB. He can have all the athletic ability in the world but if the mechanics continue to be piss poor then he'll never get there, and like I mentioned experience can play against him too because he has not shown a great deal of improvement. If i had to rate Pryor as a QB coming into this season he'd probably sit right around #20 at the position alone and probably nothing more than a mid-rounder based of that word, POTENTIAL.

All any prospect has is potential. This is the Draft discussion forum, not the established NFL player forum.

princefielder28
07-06-2010, 01:41 PM
All any prospect has is potential. This is the Draft discussion forum, not the established NFL player forum.

To certain extent you are right, prospects are based off potential, but the majority of prospects also have proven their worth at their position too. Pryor has proven next to nothing as a quarterback, yet he's talked about as a "must watch" QB prospect.

prock
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, he is talked about as a must watch player because of all the potential. He definitely hasn't proved anything, but because of his vast unfilled potential, he has to be one of the most watched prospects.

Halsey
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
What do you want Pryor to prove to you? That he's got perfect footwork and mechanics at just past his 21st birthday? How does he "prove his worth"? Do you even know what you mean by that? Are you saying no player has "proved his worth" as a prospect unless he has perfect footwork and mechanics? The NFL is full of players who didn't have perfect mechanics in college.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Based on what?

Size and arm for starters. He also moves around really well for a QB.

He didn't redshirt so this coming season will only be his 3rd season in college. I think a QB's 3rd season in college can often be the season where their development really shows if they are putting in the work.

Pryor is coming off of a nice Big win at the Rose Bowl too, in which I thought Pryor really showed some poise.

princefielder28
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
People use the "He's an athlete playing QB, not a QB who's an athlete" cliche when talking about Michael Vick and Vince Young too. Vick and Young have been held back by their off field issues, not their ability on the football field. If Pryor can keep his head on straight, he has the potential to succeed as a QB in the NFL. So far I don't know of any off field trouble Pryor has gotten into. Hopefully he can learn from Vick and Young's mistakes.

I hate stealing some of bce's argument, but you bring up Vick and Young; they're exceptions, not the rule! Vick shouldn't even be brought up when trying to give an example to Pryor because Vick's ability is probably something we'll be lucky to see ever again. Vince Young is definitely more in the territory of what Pryor could be, but as we've seen with Young, it takes a while before you see any resemblance of a NFL QB from someone who is strictly an athlete and he still has quite a bit of work to do before he's a legit passing threat. And I'm not going to be willing to compare Pryor to Young because that's an insult to Vince; this point in time Pryor is what is and I'm not sure who to accurately compare that to.

LonghornsLegend
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I like the mention of Chykie Brown alot, I'm alot higher on him then others here and a bit lower on Aaron Williams but I think Brown is definately gonna be a player at the next level.

Chykie Brown is twice the corner Tarell Brown was and he was taken in the 5th round, not even taking into account that Chykie has tools that Tarell will never have, he just needs to be more consistent in his overall game.

As far as Pryor, he could be drafted as a QB, as they always say it only takes one team, but I think he'd be a damn good WR prospect where he could be a late 1st rounder. I still have images in my head of the game where he went and lined up at WR at the goal line and they threw him a fade in the corner that he skied up over the DB to grab effortlessly.

I think it was the Texas Rose Bowl maybe, not sure. But if he put in the time into WR he could be a really really good one, he just needs way too much work to be a QB and it worries me that he has problems doing the simple things that Senior QB's in High School can do in their sleep.

princefielder28
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
What do you want Pryor to prove to you? That he's got perfect footwork and mechanics at just past his 21st birthday? How does he "prove his worth"? Do you even know what you mean by that? Are you saying no player has "proved his worth" as a prospect unless he has perfect footwork and mechanics? The NFL is full of players who didn't have perfect mechanics in college.

I want him to prove that he can drop back and be a threat as a passing quarterback. I'm not asking for perfection, I want to see improvement, and he did not show much of it last year.

LizardState
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Both these "sleeper" QBs have grown the most in their signal caller jobs in college & are the starters on the preseason nos. 1 & 2-ranked teams.

McElroy did it in a big hurry a yr. ago when he was the star of the Manning QB Camp outshining then Heisman contender Jevan Snead. He took over for a school passing rcd. holder in John Parker Wilson & led his team to the NC.

Pryor had to take the long hard road to respect as a starting QB over 2 yrs, overcame early mistakes, improved his passing & decision-making to become the Buckeye team leader. Ohio St. got the Can't Win the Big Ones monkey off its back in 09 & culminated their season by winning the Rose Bowl vs. a red hot Oregon squad, largely through Pryor's efforts.

They also have in common that both are not considered NFL QB draftworthy, Pryor generally considered to be a RB/WR at the next level &, per the buzz in Alabama, McElroy wants to go to grad school after 2010 & eventually work in an NFL front office like his father, who's VP of Sales for the Dallas Cowboys.

I think a team will take a chance on Pryor as a QB, & maybe the Cowboys will offer McElroy an UDFA contract as a QB, we'll see.

TACKLE
07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Winner
Hard worker

He's a mediocre passer at best. Everything else is irrelevant if he can't be effective passer in the NFL.

Halsey
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
You don't right off a prospect with Pryor's talent after his first two years of college just because he's not a polished passer already. Many NFL QBs didn't even play their first year in college or start their second year. You'd be missing out on a lot of NFL prospects if you wrote guys after 2 years of college.

Sniper
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
You don't right off a prospect with Pryor's talent after his first two years of college just because he's not a polished passer already. Many NFL QBs didn't even play their first year in college or start their second year. You'd be missing out on a lot of NFL prospects if you wrote guys after 2 years of college.

Nor do you WRITE off a prospect. Hayzeus Kristo, seriously?

Pryor regressed in every single meaningful passing stat last year. PROGRESSZZZZ!!!!!ELEVENTYONE!!1

The guy had one good game against a middling defense that played its corners in the parking lot and now he's the second coming of Christ.

Pop in the Michigan game tape and watch his "passing". Or Minnesota, Or Penn State. Or the holy grail of Pryor's passing career- the Purdue game. So he did fairly well against Oregon with a month to prepare for a team that played its corners in the parking lot. Yes, surely, this means a Heisman is coming.

descendency
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM

I don't hate the idea, but Pryor lacks polish in almost every aspect of throwing the ball. He's somewhere between 5th best and 10th best QB in this class, which is going to make him a mid-round prospect, despite being the #1 prospect coming out of high school.

I just wish he ran less. I think it would help his throwing out quite a bit. Lots of running QBs have terrible mechanics because it's just not convenient to carry the ball the same way as it is to throw it.

Halsey
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Nor do you WRITE off a prospect.

I'm sure in your 1 billion posts that you've never made a mistake. Didn't bother to read the rest.

RealityCheck
07-06-2010, 04:05 PM
And so was Vince Young.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't hate the idea, but Pryor lacks polish in almost every aspect of throwing the ball. He's somewhere between 5th best and 10th best QB in this class, which is going to make him a mid-round prospect, despite being the #1 prospect coming out of high school.

If we are talking about the 2011 draft class then, yeah I'm not sold on him as a high QB prospect.

2012 QB class, I could see Pryor being near the top(1st round QB).

I think Pryor has the talent and potential. Some think he will be able to put it all together with coaching and practice...... and some don't.

Brent
07-06-2010, 04:16 PM
when I hear the mechanics thing about Pryor, I laugh because there is no ******* way you are going to change a guy's throwing motion at that age. ask David Carr how that worked out.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I want him to prove that he can drop back and be a threat as a passing quarterback. I'm not asking for perfection, I want to see improvement, and he did not show much of it last year.

In Pryor's defense, it was only his 2nd season at QB in college. Usually, I like to see college QBs redshirt a year.

Sniper
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
In Pryor's defense, it was only his 2nd season at QB in college. Usually, I like to see college QBs redshirt a year.

So why did he regress in every passing measure?

Sniper
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm sure in your 1 billion posts that you've never made a mistake.

Not one like that. That takes talent to **** it up that badly.

I read what you wrote. I decided that despite the fact that you've seen Pryor play a hell of a lot more, I didn't like what you said and pretended like I didn't read the rest.

Fixed it for you. Still waiting on a reply as to why he regressed.

Sniper
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM

But he didn't do well in those games, so...

Hard worker

Proof?

Sniper
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
People are just Terrelle Pryor haters and it's mostly due to the fact that they just like to hate on him.

Or maybe they realize that he regressed last year. Maybe they realize that the production doesn't match the hype.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
So why did he regress in every passing measure?

I don't know.

He is still a young QB.

I thought Pryor looked like a better QB last season than his freshman season.

Sniper
07-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't know.

He is still a young QB.

I thought Pryor looked like a better QB last season than his freshman season.

What games did you see?

Texas Homer
Maybe they realize that the production doesn't match the hype.

I'll admit my opinion of Pryor as a prospect is based more on projection rather than college production so far.

He potentially has 2 more seasons to improve.

Texas Homer
What games did you see?

Almost all of them.

JHL6719
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Michael Vick was consistently the lowest rated passer in the league from INSIDE THE POCKET every year of his career... I don't care how many highlights he made on ESPN... you're not winning a championship with quarterback play like that. Atlanta also had the #1 rushing offense for several years when Vick was the QB (which he contributed to)... you MUST be able to play the position at a high level as a pocket passer.

Vince Young is still yet to prove he's an NFL quarterback to me.

Pryor is a fantastic athlete... but he ain't playing QB in the NFL... at least not that amounts to anything. It's a waste of time....

If he wants an NFL career he's going to have to take the Matt Jones, Brad Smith, etc. route and play the WR position at the next level IMO.

prock
07-06-2010, 05:31 PM
You don't have to be a superior pocket passer to win the Super Bowl. You can win with a Michael Vick (before jail) or a Vince Young type. They have to be a half decent pocket passer, sure, but it can be done.

descendency
07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
when I hear the mechanics thing about Pryor, I laugh because there is no ******* way you are going to change a guy's throwing motion at that age. ask David Carr how that worked out.

Tom Brady tweaked some of the kinds of things that I see Pryor doing wrong, like throwing off the back of his foot - which does sap one's velocity.

bce
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I disagree.

Aaron Williams is likely a top 15 pick. It looked like teams avoided throwing to Williams side last season and he still got 3 int's. last season. Williams is very physical, athletic and has plus size (6'1 192) for a CB.

I wouldn't be surprised if Curtis Brown is a 1st round pick. Brown is a athletic Freak. I think Curtis Brown is Texas best coverage CB. Brown also has good size (6'0 180) for a CB. He can hit pretty good too.

Both Williams and Brown are very LEGIT (imo).

Chykie Brown looks like a 2nd or 3rd round pick to me at this point. Brown is listed at 6'0 187 and has long arms. He does need to work on some things, but Chykie is pretty talented as well.

I'm not trying to knock you personally. You have a right to an opinion. You may not want them on your team, but I think NFL GM's next draft may disagree and all 3 Texas CB's could end up getting drafted pretty high next draft.

We will see. There is A LOT of time between now and next draft. Who knows...

Yes they could all go in the first or second round. The problem I saw with all the texas dbs was when they had to cover for any period of time, which wasnt often, teams made plays against them. A lot of plays and a lot of big plays. So my problem with all the texas dbs was what happened when there was no pass rush, and it wasnt good.

And just because nfl gms disagree certainly doesnt mean theyre right. Everyone on this forum operates under the assumption that they are morons anyway,otherwise there wouldnt be so many mistakes, except at times of convenience when they become "geniuses".

bce
07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Robert Griffin 3- one to watch

bce
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Or maybe they realize that he regressed last year. Maybe they realize that the production doesn't match the hype.

The thing that cant be written off about pryor is that he has the top end physical ability. Top shelf nfl level arm, great body for the position. Quick release. Hes going to be able to take the pounding. Hes a winner. hes experienced.Not turnover prone. Doesnt make a lot of ill advised throws into bad situations. Takes care of the ball pretty well.

The big question is throwing accuracy. He has all the intangibles and all the required physical ability. Hes just not accurate enough at this point for the nfl game, but hes only 20 years old. I certainly wouldnt use a high pick at this point, but if im sitting there at the end of rd 1 and i need a future qb, who i can sit and let learn for a year, Im pulling the trigger. If and its a big if at this point he starts putting the ball on the money consistently, he has the top level nfl physical gifts.

Texas Homer
07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Yes they could all go in the first or second round. The problem I saw with all the texas dbs was when they had to cover for any period of time, which wasnt often, teams made plays against them. A lot of plays and a lot of big plays. So my problem with all the texas dbs was what happened when there was no pass rush, and it wasnt good.

And just because nfl gms disagree certainly doesnt mean theyre right. Everyone on this forum operates under the assumption that they are morons anyway,otherwise there wouldnt be so many mistakes, except at times of convenience when they become "geniuses".

I disagree, but your entitled to your opinion just as I am.

Texas CB's didn't play their (A) game against ATM and Tech, but I think Texas CB's are pretty talented cover CBs especially Curtis Brown and Aaron Williams.

bce
07-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I just didnt like what i saw when qbs had time against them. Theyre not undraftable prospects or the worst players in the world, and maybe i didnt get to see them cover enough because they rarely had to. But when i saw texas fail to get pressure, the defensive backfield got lit up.

descendency
07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
But when i saw ______ fail to get pressure, the defensive backfield got lit up.

Welcome to football.

Halsey
07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
It's not like the NFL is full of Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys. If Pryor is Vince Young without the off field drama, that's better than what many teams have at QB.

And for people harping on Pryors stats, go take a look at Jake Locker's. Locker is viewed by some as the heavy favorite to go #1 in April. His stats haven't exactly been mind blowing. He didn't even complete 50% of his passes as a redshirt freshman. I bet some here would have laughed at the idea of him being an NFL prospect after his first two years.

yourfavestoner
07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
You don't have to be a superior pocket passer to win the Super Bowl. You can win with a Michael Vick (before jail) or a Vince Young type. They have to be a half decent pocket passer, sure, but it can be done.

People have already done revisionist history on Michael Vick's career. He took some really, really awful teams deep into the playoffs by himself multiple times. He'd have a stinker here and there, sure, but look at how awful the team was without him in 2003 when he was hurt most of the year and the year of his suspension in 2007. They were amongst the worst teams in the league without him.

descendency
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM

I'll believe it if Vince Young can succeed this year. Quite frankly, his abilities don't seem to be indicative of winning at the level he has.

Vick is the exception, not the rule. You take the most dynamic athlete and put him on any team and you'll win games. Michael Vick was just that much more athletic than the rest of the NFL.

You have to get pretty lucky to win with a QB who's career completion percentage is below 60%. 55 is usually around the absolute minimum. After that you start to fail to complete enough key downs.

prock
07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
I'll believe it if Vince Young can succeed this year. Quite frankly, his abilities don't seem to be indicative of winning at the level he has.

Vick is the exception, not the rule. You take the most dynamic athlete and put him on any team and you'll win games. Michael Vick was just that much more athletic than the rest of the NFL.

You have to get pretty lucky to win with a QB who's career completion percentage is below 60%. 55 is usually around the absolute minimum. After that you start to fail to complete enough key downs.

There really haven't been very many examples of players like Young or Vick. Most definitely don't even make an attempt to play quarterback. There isn't evidence for or against it.

Mr. Offseason
07-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Winner
Hard worker

I get where you're coming from with this, but honestly the only game I have been impressed with him in as a passer was in the Rose Bowl against Oregon. He needs to play like that a lot during the next year (or hopefully two) if he is going to make me think he has an actual shot of playing QB effectively in the NFL.

Until that game I had him pinned as a great athlete who can throw the ball too. Whether he ever becomes a QB who has great athletic ability is a toss up in my opinion.

Halsey
07-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Pryor looks too talented not to be a first round pick. At worst he's a second, assuming he avoids character and health issues. Even if a team can't use him as a starting QB, he has the potential to help in other ways. I hope he stays another 2 years and works hard. It would be nice to see a Vince Young type player, minus the baggage. I actually still think Young might be able to have a good career when it's all said and done.

tjsunstein
07-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Robert Griffin 3- one to watch
Is he still your second rated prospect in this draft? Coming off a serious injury and not having a position in the NFL and all...?

bce
07-07-2010, 07:03 PM
He surely has a position in the nfl. Playing quarterback. hes been far far far superior to jake locker. Knee injuries for qbs a re a year lost and thats really about it. Donovan mcnabbs had 2 i believe, tom brady, its not an injury of career threat for a qb. Its just a year lost.

Out of all the top guys robert griffin is the most accurate. Hes the best athlete. Has the best td-interception ratio. His throwing arm is nfl level. he has solid physical attributes height etc. Hes a bright young man, and he made his team better than it was without him.

Out of them all, hes the most complete package of intangibles and physical ability of any qb. Hes #2 behind mallett right now, but if I had to pick, and I love mallett, i'd be torn, because i know robert griffin is a solid character, and I know he has top end physical ability, maybe not as much as mallett as far as throwing the ball, but when you compare him to say jake locker there really is no comparison, not on the field and not physically.

Its like mallett or griffin do yuou go with the huge arm and some questionable character or do you go with maybe a little less arm but great physical ability and high charcter. I dont know what i'd do.

So i hope that answers your question