PDA

View Full Version : New contract for D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Splat
07-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Jets hand new contract to D'Brickashaw Ferguson (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/07/jets-hand-new-contract-to-dbrickashaw-ferguson/)

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets and Ferguson have agreed to terms on a multi-year extension (http://www.twitter.com/TheJetsStream/statuses/17964377180).

TimD
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
now just get revis signed!

will99890
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Brick had a damn good year last year imo. Especially playing in a pretty competitive division.

descendency
07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Come on Jets. Do better than that. Handcuff yourself for the next 5 years when the new CBA is in place.

contento
07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm not saying Brick doesn't deserve it, but how can they extend him before Mangold?

Even with the higher positional value of an LT versus a C, Mangold is still the best at his respective position in the league and likely will be for a long while.

Splat
07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm not saying Brick doesn't deserve it, but how can they extend him before Mangold?

Even with the higher positional value of an LT versus a C, Mangold is still the best at his respective position in the league and likely will be for a long while.

You pretty much answered your own question.

LonghornsLegend
07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
I was asking the same question, why lock him up before Mangold? I haven't heard anything to make me believe Brick would hold out with his old deal in place, but Mangold has been pretty upset and reportedly was looking strongly into holding out.

It just seemed like he was 1st priority on the offensive line. I mean LT is more important obviously, but it's not like they were both FA's, they were both under contract, I would of been trying to make it right with the guy who potentially may hold out.

It's still good to be locking up players though, be interesting to watch how they handle their money with the 3-4 other players they want to re-sign.

Xenos
07-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I was asking the same question, why lock him up before Mangold? I haven't heard anything to make me believe Brick would hold out with his old deal in place, but Mangold has been pretty upset and reportedly was looking strongly into holding out.

It just seemed like he was 1st priority on the offensive line. I mean LT is more important obviously, but it's not like they were both FA's, they were both under contract, I would of been trying to make it right with the guy who potentially may hold out.

It's still good to be locking up players though, be interesting to watch how they handle their money with the 3-4 other players they want to re-sign.
Dbrick's contract was probably easier to do because he wasn't going to hold out. You gotta take care of what you can first I suppose. If that makes any sense.

zachsaints52
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Mangold> D'Brick

Splat
07-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Mangold> D'Brick

LT > C

Just the way it is.

Brent
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
I was asking the same question, why lock him up before Mangold?
Show your players that the ones who "play nice" with contracts, and go about their business, get rewarded?

yourfavestoner
07-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Or maybe they offered D'brick and he said, "Ok." At that point, they're not going to be, like, "No, we have to wait to have you sign it until Mangold's is done."

It's not like these teams are only allowed to negotiate with one player at a time or something.

Bucs_Rule
07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Chargers need to do this McNeill. This deal should help them, it would make negotiations much easier as they can just give McNeill a little more than D'brick. I do love the name brick for a OT.

zachsaints52
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
LT > C

Just the way it is.

Thats true, but its alot easier naming Top 10 LT's while when you think of Centers Mangold is right at the top, mainly because the other very good centers are pretty much done.

Halsey
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
There's a reason quality LT's rarely change teams in their primes. Look around the NFL and name every quality LT you can think of. How many of them have played for more then one team during their early and prime years.

LonghornsLegend
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Show your players that the ones who "play nice" with contracts, and go about their business, get rewarded?

I bet they don't re-sign David Harris before Darrelle Revis.

PACKmanN
07-09-2010, 01:46 AM

because if they both continue their high level of play, Ferguson's cost will be higher than Mangold's this time next year. Get Ferguson locked up cheaper now than later, and Mangold's increase wouldn't be as much as Ferguson's

BlindSite
07-09-2010, 03:50 AM
The ceiling for centres is lower than tackles so this is a smart move. Mangold should be taken care of because realistically at the top of the NFL theres Mangold and Kalil and then not a lot of standout talent at Centre who's not close to retirement. There's guys who anchor the line well, but not a lot who're as good in all facets of run and pass blocking.

zachsaints52
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
because if they both continue their high level of play, Ferguson's cost will be higher than Mangold's this time next year. Get Ferguson locked up cheaper now than later, and Mangold's increase wouldn't be as much as Ferguson's

Did not think this way, but its true.

Mangold still > then Brick :P

descendency
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
LT > C

Just the way it is.

Not to a running team.

Splat
07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Last time I checked Mangold is still on the team and still under contract, I think people are really make to big of a deal of this.

descendency
07-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Last time I checked Mangold is still on the team and still under contract, I think people are really make to big of a deal of this.

It was the right move, but the LT > C just isn't universally true. Honestly, I think it's less true every time I see it.