PDA

View Full Version : Pierce retires and joins ESPN

Splat
07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Former Giants LB Pierce retires, joins ESPN (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txpierceespn)

BRISTOL, CONN.(AP) —Linebacker Antonio Pierce (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5742/;_ylt=AlJon4eRw7zI_DPcK.iUPEgLubYF) has retired from the NFL after nine seasons and is joining ESPN as and NFL analyst.

Brent
07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
"maybe, if we just hire enough players, eventually we'll find some who don't suck on camera!"

tjsunstein
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
They have nothing to add, they either a) state the obvious or b) are too radical. Not one has anything informative or interesting to say.

Brent
07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
"who are we kidding... we could have emmitt smith try to read the phone book for an hour and people would still watch sportscenter and think it was actually news."
thank goodness I get the NFL network. best pregame show there is.

Brent
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
is it really that much better? it's hard to imagine it can get worse than some of the **** espn plays, but i haven't had nfln in months. their draft coverage wasn't bad, though i don't get all the love for whoever their mel kiper is.
I just find Rich Eisen to be genuinely funny. Also, the players who are on NFLN are far more tolerable. Warren Sapp is a bit of a jackass, and Jamie Dukes can be annoying, but besides those two, I have no complaints.

Go_Eagles77
07-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't particularly like anyone on ESPN, but I hate Jamie Dukes with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Brent
07-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I hate Jamie Dukes with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/bpdouglass/jamieduke.jpg

"why ya gotta hate, son?"

P-L
07-08-2010, 10:51 AM
"who are we kidding... we could have emmitt smith try to read the phone book for an hour and people would still watch sportscenter and think it was actually news."
Watching Emmitt Smith try and read a phone book would be unbelievably entertaining.

Jughead10
07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I like Bruschi on ESPN. Pierce could be good. The defenses always ran through him on the field and he always had the reputation of being a cerebral LB but not having the greatest physical tools. Opinionated too.

BigDawg819
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Meh its collecting a paycheck so you can't blame him. On a similar note, what is ESPN just a holding arena for coaches?

brat316
07-08-2010, 11:13 AM
just hire someone who isn't a player damn...also i wish i had NFLN

yourfavestoner
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Is it just me, or is Trey Wingo a gigantic douchenozzle?

BigDawg819
07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
just hire someone who isn't a player damn...also i wish i had NFLN

Thats becoming a dieing trend, because then reporters or journalists, or commentators are hit with the infamous "you didn't play the game so you just don't" get in nonsense cliche.

scottyboy
07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
it's good for espn as long as they just make him give opinions and not have to cover any stories. he can't cover anything

Ness
07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Is it just me, or is Trey Wingo a gigantic douchenozzle?
I hate that guy. Talks all cocky like he has experience playing in the NFL.

descendency
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
it's good for espn as long as they just make him give opinions and not have to cover any stories. he can't cover anything
I know it's not that funny, but I seriously LOL'd to that.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-08-2010, 12:48 PM
They have nothing to add, they either a) state the obvious or b) are too radical. Not one has anything informative or interesting to say.

If everyone sucks so bad why dont you give it a shot? It must be better than your current job and with the amount of time you spend on here sharing your infinite knowledge it would be a perfect match. Its different sitting in front of a camera having millions of people watch you instead of hiding behind a computer monitor.

brat316
07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
If everyone sucks so bad why dont you give it a shot? It must be better than your current job and with the amount of time you spend on here sharing your infinite knowledge it would be a perfect match. Its different sitting in front of a camera having millions of people watch you instead of hiding behind a computer monitor.

That would be a good argument if any of the guys ESPN hired were qualified.

They are picking up players to report, not actual reporters, these guys are just collecting a pay check. There are some players out there but they went and signed elsewhere, like Strahan and Tiki.

Brent
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
why not more former coaches? maybe it's just me but I would like to believe that someone who was a coach would know more about the NFL than someone who was a mediocre QB (LOOKING AT YOU HASSELBECK)

BigDawg819
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
why not more former coaches? maybe it's just me but I would like to believe that someone who was a coach would know more about the NFL than someone who was a mediocre QB (LOOKING AT YOU HASSELBECK)

But but but he has a famous wife he must know something right?

Jughead10
07-08-2010, 01:11 PM

I think you are being generous with mediocre QB. How about mediocre backup QB, if that.

TitanHope
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes, instead of "hiding" behind a computer monitor he'd be hiding behind a camera in an empty camera studio with producers telling him what to do and how to do it. Don't forget the proverbial edit button of a producer saying, "Yeah, lets do that again for the re-air."

I really hate the, "Well if it's so easy, then why don't you do it?" angle for a retort. I think T.J. is going for a journalism degree, so maybe we will one day be seeing his stuff in some form whether it's on TV, radio, or the internet? Because I and many others will tell ya that I've learned more about football by reading and posting on NFLDC than I've ever had by watching ESPN and the commentators and analysts on it. TJ's a part of that community.

TV would be fairly easy, as long as you're not some nervous newb with zero confidence or obnoxious douche that thinks he knows everything (although the latter would be a more successful personality harharhar). Radio would be hard. You just have your voice to interact with, and have to provide non-stop entertainment during your block by giving your opinion on events, providing some sort of comedy/personality that separates you from others, and seemingly having the least filter between you and the audience.

Nevertheless, ESPN is purely for entertainment nowadays. Viewers want to be entertained just as much as they wanna learn stuff. In fact, the most informative thing on ESPN is the news ticker running at the bottom. So when viewers turn into NFL Live, they want #1) I hope they say something about my team!!! and #2) I hope it's a fun show. (#3 is our demographic that actually likes to talk, think, and study football in-depth, and only a few of us on here are probably legit about that). So who would they rather listen to when they tune in? A former player they've seen play, or John Clayton? Yeah...

For writing articles and radio shows, you get the non-players, but when you want to put someone on TV, Terry Bradshaw will keep more viewers. That's why they're on there. There are many player analysts that I like though.

descendency
07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
That would be a good argument if any of the guys ESPN hired were qualified.

Someone on ESPN (I forgot who, although I think it was Jay Crawford) while discussing how stupid they thought Charles Barkley was because he wanted to leave TV and become a GM basically said that being a GM was actually going to be work (and that Barkley would get bored of it) and that being on TV was just about making up stuff for 4 hours and it was "an easy job".

I wish I had the quote still because I laughed when I heard him say it. Mainly because I've been saying it for years.

critesy
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
rich eisan >>>>>>>>>>>> anyone. i suggest getting his book.

MetSox17
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Eventually they run into a gem, so i'm guessing they'll keep doing this until they weed out all the 'tards. Trent Dilfer is amazing at what he does. I could listen to that guy talk about quarterbacks all day.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Pierce might be decent if they allow him to break down film. That's the problem with ESPN, they don't break down film enough. You get that from NFL network, NFL Network focuses on the game much more than ESPN.

I'd like to see Pierce on NFL Matchup. He was always a very smart guy. He just wasn't worth a damn as an athlete for the past 2-3 years is all.

Which is why I find it funny when ppl say "how are the Giants going to replace Antonio Pierce?"

Are you kidding me? There are backups out there better than him over the last 2 years. Whoever we play in the middle this year is going to be an upgrade over Pierce.

Go_Eagles77
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Pierce might be decent if they allow him to break down film. That's the problem with ESPN, they don't break down film enough. You get that from NFL network, NFL Network focuses on the game much more than ESPN.

I'd like to see Pierce on NFL Matchup. He was always a very smart guy. He just wasn't worth a damn as an athlete for the past 2-3 years is all.

Which is why I find it funny when ppl say "how are the Giants going to replace Antonio Pierce?"

Are you kidding me? There are backups out there better than him over the last 2 years. Whoever we play in the middle this year is going to be an upgrade over Pierce.
I was sad to see him go.

BlindSite
07-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I actually don't mind this hire for ESPN, he's got to be better than Emmitt Smith and Keyshawn.

FuzzyGopher
07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
They should just hire former players as consultants, most of them have terrible camera presence and stumble over their own words. It is so hard to watch awkward television and it makes me cringe when a lot of these guys open their mouths.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
He will be missed! Great MLB for us! Very smart and good leader! This one was a very huge play he made against GB in GB in that playoff game in the cold.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x205/BMAZZA/pierce-1-1.gif

Don Vito
07-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I read this article in a Playboy (yes that's right) that was from 2007 about ESPN's rise and how it all had to do with the reporters they hired like Berman and Patrick. It's nice to have some players around but everyone knows SportCenter and ESPN were at their best when all of their reporters had love for sports, a sense of humor, and they were actually qualified for the job. We are seeing less and less of this on sports stations.

the_legend_killer
07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
It's starting to get to the point where if someone retires and they AREN'T hired by ESPN, then it's news, lol. But I think Pierce will be fine, certainly not the worst they've ever had.

LizardState
07-08-2010, 05:05 PM
rich eisan >>>>>>>>>>>> anyone. i suggest getting his book.

Eisen is smartass cynical & ultra-sarcastic, he offends even me.

Warren Sapp is a bit of a jackass

That jackass bit in Sapp's case is the size of a continent.

Congrats to Antonio Pierce on his new job, I hope he can do better than their other former NFLer throats whose attempts at articulation & (shudder!) humor are nauseating, even frightening to behold. Listen to Schlereth sometime on NFL Live, he makes even Wiley look like an Ivy League grad .....

Oh wait.....

Splat
07-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't mind Marcus Wiley.

Giantsfan1080
07-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Marcellus Wiley

Splat
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Marcellus Wiley

I knew I was spelling it wrong but had no idea how to spell Dat Dudes name. :)

Any ways Merrill Hodge is the worst since no matter the topic he always brings it back to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Chuck Noll or a RB.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Someone on ESPN (I forgot who, although I think it was Jay Crawford) while discussing how stupid they thought Charles Barkley was because he wanted to leave TV and become a GM basically said that being a GM was actually going to be work (and that Barkley would get bored of it) and that being on TV was just about making up stuff for 4 hours and it was "an easy job".

I wish I had the quote still because I laughed when I heard him say it. Mainly because I've been saying it for years.

Its always about giving the average fan what they want. Some would probably soak it up if they broke down different blitz packages and got into the real technical of the game. There is so much good ESPN could do with their 3D play breakdowns. It's hard to give everything people would want in a 30 minute show. I'd love to see Ray Lewis get a gig on one of ESPNs shows.

Giantsfan1080
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Any ways Merrill Hodge is the worst since no matter the topic he always brings it back to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Chuck Noll or a RB.

I didn't even know you spelled it wrong. I was actually fixing Lizard's post haha.

RealityCheck
07-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Saw this coming.

Yeah, good career, congrats, Antonio.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't know why everyone hated Emmit so much.

I LOVED him. Come on, how could you not love that guy? If I'm gonna watch pointless pre-game, I might as well have a laugh while I'm at it.

Let's be honest, pre-game shows are useless. They are. I spend my time running the weekend's errands during pre-game and make sure I get home at 1pm for kickoff.

But if I have to watch that useless crap, I might as well get a good laugh out of it. And Emmit delivered every time.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2010, 06:28 PM
watching him utterly fail to string together more than 3 or 4 coherent, consecutive syllables every time just *hurt*.

moreso, because i imagine what a pre-game show could be, if they'd stop trying to pander to my girlfriend, who doesn't want to watch anyways.

you gotta remember, us diehard fans, we make up only 10% at best of the entire audience. they could care less what we think, they got us hooked and they know it. we'll watch no matter what.

so they design their shows around the casual fan, and trying to get as many of them to watch as possible. thats what generates ratings. our opinions don't matter, we won't bring them extra ratings, bc we'll watch no matter what.

so what attracts the casual fan? familiar faces, like ex players, over the top segments, humor, sex appeal, and fantasy information.

and thats exactly what they give us. We all know that dumbass friend who's a fan. You think he understands a blitz package? He doesn't want to watch that, he wants to see his favorite ex player tell him exactly what he wants to hear.

Our opinions are irrelevant.

tjsunstein
07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Pretty weak considering you do the same thing as me, to a lesser degree. The only thing these players turned analysts add is familiarity with the players in the game at that point (which is useless for tv, useful for another team maybe) and certain schemes but where do we see that knowledge put to use? A five minute play breakdown in ESPN's NFL Live? Even then, what do you get out of it? Most of these NFL players never finished school, or even majored in something useful. ESPN does it for name recognition. Do you think Keyshawn has a degree that ESPN asks from the average applicant? No. He's a personality, I get that. But there has to come a point where ESPN has to consider putting someone behind the camera with something more than NFL experience and a big mouth.

yourfavestoner
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't know why everyone hated Emmit so much.

I LOVED him. Come on, how could you not love that guy? If I'm gonna watch pointless pre-game, I might as well have a laugh while I'm at it.

Let's be honest, pre-game shows are useless. They are. I spend my time running the weekend's errands during pre-game and make sure I get home at 1pm for kickoff.

But if I have to watch that useless crap, I might as well get a good laugh out of it. And Emmit delivered every time.

Same reason why LDT will always be my favorite interview in the league. It takes so much concentration and thought for him to give even the simplest of answers.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Same reason why LDT will always be my favorite interview in the league. It takes so much concentration and thought for him to give even the simplest of answers.

Especially when after being asked a question, LDT will pause, swallow, look down with his eyes wide open and think real hard, THEN answer the question.

It's hilarious! haha.

scpanther22
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I just hate when a former DE or something like that is talking about all the ins and outs of the QB poistion,

I think a former player should stay on there side of the ball.lol

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Pretty weak considering you do the same thing as me, to a lesser degree. The only thing these players turned analysts add is familiarity with the players in the game at that point (which is useless for tv, useful for another team maybe) and certain schemes but where do we see that knowledge put to use? A five minute play breakdown in ESPN's NFL Live? Even then, what do you get out of it? Most of these NFL players never finished school, or even majored in something useful. ESPN does it for name recognition. Do you think Keyshawn has a degree that ESPN asks from the average applicant? No. He's a personality, I get that. But there has to come a point where ESPN has to consider putting someone behind the camera with something more than NFL experience and a big mouth.

He does have the best education and that is NFL experience. Who knows better than someone who has been there done that? Its why you dont have guys coming off the couch to be coaches. Theres what 4 BCS coaches who never played in college? Experience playing clearly matters in coaching or talking to sports america. I would put the fault on ESPN not the personalities. ESPN needs to find the right way to use them. How will someone with a college degree in journalism be more covted? Sure maybe they were all conference in high school, played IM flag football at college but what do they really know? I'm sure Keyshawn would overload your head if he really wanted to. I've never had a problem with Keyshawn if they brought in a Devin Hester then okay they have gone to far. What should they put behind the camera if they end up doing the same lame segments.

TitanHope
07-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Most disliked player analysts: Steve Young and Tim Hasselbeck

Most liked player analysts: Mark Schlereth, Marcellus Wiley, and Mike Golic.

I do like the coaches though. I love Jon Gruden especially.

Some of those are "entertainment" choices. Since I already know what a lot of them are saying, I watch ESPN to be entertained like most everyone else.

Speaking of which, LeBron Watch > Favre Watch on the obnoxious scale.

LizardState
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't mind Marcus Wiley.

I couldn't spell it either.

And I was making a pun, of course he IS an Ivy Leaguer, went to Columbia. His comments are actually pretty good, especially compared to Schlereth. Schlereth has an essay rant annually about how he hates the Cowboys & it's gotten really old.

Speaking of Dallas I haven't forgiven Wiley for his yr. there where he sucked mightily -- he once upon a time hit Date Rape Roethlisberger, had a sack done deal, both arms around him, & he freaking bounced off him...... good NFL analysts are not necessarily good former players.

descendency
07-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Best player analyst: Warren Sapp. End of Discussion.

Brent
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
you mean "the factor back"?

BaLLiN
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Pierce should just be a coach

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
i agree, and to this end, i fully support you (yes, you, Bob Sanders Dreadlock) never posting or discussing football again. after all, i don't come here for your couch potato analysis. i come here to talk to the other 12 people who actually played in college. because clearly we're the only ones who have any vague idea what's going on with football. i mean, sure, you played in high school. maybe you were even all conference. but you clearly don't know ANYTHING about judging college or nfl players. i'm sure alcorn state's backup holder knows so much about football you would literally **** your pants.

but the coaching strawman is really cute. you scored, like, megabonus points with anyone who had no idea what the **** was even being discussed.

worst opinion ever. you should've read your 'justifications' back to yourself out loud. then you might've realized how ******* lazy they are. to say nothing of their 'quality'.

I get it you think you are a big shot. Clearly this is your playground and you spit on anything you can. I see you bitching and throwing down ideas but not coming up with a solution. Send your resume to ESPN while you can, you could be the successor to Skip Bayless!

dannyz
07-08-2010, 10:52 PM
He was good the few times he was on the NFL Network.

BlindSite
07-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Michael Strahan is the only one worth his paycheck as an analyst, Chad Ocho Cinco will be an awesome side line reporter if he wanted to go that route.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
i see you whining because you realized your 'argument' was utter **** and trying to play it off like i'm the douchebag. fact remains, you made a thoroughly worthless argument for ESPN hiring garbage players. however, if you have even the slightest degree of intellectual consistency, you will stop posting about football completely, everywhere, forever. because clearly, there are thousands of people who know football better based solely on having played it longer.

You've made an argument coming out with just personal attacks and not proposing a better one. All i said was guys who played it at a high level generally should be favored more. They have been in the huddle in the big games and know generally what guys are feeling and thinking. However, its become obvious you don't have a better idea.

Splat
07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know if he has been talked about but I really like Tom Jackson.

yourfavestoner
07-09-2010, 11:32 AM
You've made an argument coming out with just personal attacks and not proposing a better one. All i said was guys who played it at a high level generally should be favored more. They have been in the huddle in the big games and know generally what guys are feeling and thinking. However, its become obvious you don't have a better idea.

So when there's a car chase, should we only let former stunt drivers or policemen cover it on the news?

I really hate how former players have completely undermined the idea that there can be intelligent reporting and analysis done from anyone other than a former professional athlete. Every one of the real media persons went to school to specifically study journalism or communications, were required to take journalism ethics classes, and started out at much smaller networks/publications, earning experience, and worked their way up. How are they any less qualified than somebody who spent the last ten years building up brain-damaging proteins in their noggin?

21ST
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
good riddance i really cant stand that guy

McBain
07-09-2010, 05:59 PM
good riddance i really cant stand that guy

You'll probably end up seeing and hearing more from him now.

Anyway, good move by pierce, now he gets paid to stand around in a suit and spout opinions of the nfl. Id take that any day over getting chop blocked by guards and centers.

thenewfeature06
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Don't forget " you gotta find that alley "

http://myteampicks.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/merrill.jpg

descendency
07-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Does the anchor have to be a current ESPN commentator? Because no one was worse than Emmitt Smith. He managed to say things I can't even repeat because my brain can't even fathom grammar that bad. I know I am a little bit loose when I am posting on a message board, but for crying out loud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGT08DTk3NM&feature=related

"Rice of Patches" LOL

Bucs_Rule
07-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I thought Emmitt was Hilarius.

Brent
07-10-2010, 08:56 AM
the best was when he started to say something in proper grammar and then corrected himself only to say something grammatically wrong