PDA

View Full Version : Player or Team?

Scout200
07-09-2010, 01:06 PM
If your all-time favorite player from your favorite team left, would you follow the player or stay with the team?

-Scout

nepg
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Both? When Bledsoe left the Pats, I always rooted for him, but was still a Pats fan 100%.

Splat
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Team.

As a Chiefs fan I have had this happen with Tony Gonzalez, I was a Chiefs fan before he came and I'm still a fan now.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Good thread in the wake of the Lebron James escapades. If Manning went to a division rival(Brett Favre im looking at you) i would burn his jersey. I would do my best to spread rumors that he banged tons of hookers.

Hurricanes25
07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
When Santana Moss was traded from the Jets to the Redskins, I still remained a Jets fan and Washington became my #2.

P-L
07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
If your all-time favorite player from your favorite team left, would you follow the player or stay with the team?

-Scout
This has only really happened to me regarding baseball. I only became a Red Sox fan because of Pedro Martinez, but I remained loyal to the team after he left.

Addict
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
luckily with the lions no player is that good so I haven't had my heart broken yet.

except by the losses. they hurt.

K Train
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
team, especially since im a fan of alot of players before they go pro even when they play on college teams i hate

but when guys like joey porter leave...even if its because they want more money i tend to root for them still

Ravens1991
07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Team all the way, if Ray Lewis left I would thank him for the memories I had w/ him. I would be bummed but but that is just the nature of the business.

vikes_28
07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I would stick by my team 100%. And to tell you the truth, I usually hate the team that the ex-player (Randy Moss for example) goes to. If the left on good terms, I would still probably follow them.

SuperMcGee
07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Team, unless it's Moorman.

I've never started to like a team because a player went there. If I didn't become a Vikings fan after Winfield and Pat Williams went there, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. The closest I can relate was when JP Dumont went to Nashville. I was already a fan, but that really put them up there as my #2 team. If we were to release Schobel and let him sign with another team, I'd probably root for him to get to the playoffs, maybe even win it all, just because I know my team won't be doing it. That would be the new case, for me.

Hawk
07-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I'll cheer for Brett Favre again when he retires

GB12
07-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Team. **** Brett Favre.

zachsaints52
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I became a Saints fan when they drafted Stallworth, so the trade to Phi made me choose, and I chose team. But I still wish he would do amazing.

The I became a LeCharles Bentley fan, then he goes to Cleveland and gets Staph.

Then I become a Karney fan, and he gets cut on his wedding day.

Im hoping my string stops with Evans and Nicks.

prock
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I still cheer for Randy Moss. He is my favorite player of all time.

JFLO
07-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Team.

Both Culpepper and Moss were bitches, **** em.

CashmoneyDrew
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
As a Titans fan I've become used to seeing some of our best and most storied players being shown the door. I'm a Titans fan first and foremost because of this.

stephenson86
07-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I think it can depend a lot on what the player means to you. Say for example Walter Payton played today I would support him, and subsequently the team he played for but it would be him I rooted for. Like everything I have ever watched on Payton and read etc. the guy has massively influenced my life. But I think its tough to be player over team unless the player is someone that has touched your life somehow.

Don Vito
07-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I have never been as upset as when the Red Sox traded Nomar at the deadline, but I would never stop rooting for the team because of it. I still always pulled for Nomar.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Team. But I still love Michael Vick.

yo123
07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Team, the only time I've rooted for a player after he left is when Garnett left the Wolves.

FlyingElvis
07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Team.

I have a ton of respect for guys like Bledsoe or Seymour (forced to leave) and Curtis Martin (chose to leave) for who they are and what they did for the franchise, but there was no way in hell I wanted to see Drew or Curtis succeed playing for the Bills / Jets.

Big Rich gets full support with da raiduhs.

CC.SD
07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
1. Rivers
2. Team
3. Players.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a Raider fan. Everyone who I like leaves.

Except for Tim Brown.

nrk
07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm still a Packers fan even though Favre left. He's been my favorite player since I was a kid. With AD, Favre, and Loadholt people always ask me why am I not a Vikings fan here in Norman. Because I'm not ******* joining your damn bandwagon. So many of those here. The only thing that could stop the Packers from being my #1 team is Oklahoma getting a pro football team, and even then I don't know if they would take the Packers spot in my heart.

Hines
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Team, of course. I still root for all my favorite former Steelers like Peezy and that's it. If they went to a team that I hate or a rival team, then all bets are off and I don't like that player anymore. But it's the team first.

PackerLegend
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Team always. Im never switching teams because a single player left no matter how great or how much I loved them. I still root for ex-Packers depending on how they left the team, classy or piece of ****. Also the team they go to is important. I will root for Kampman because the guy left and thanked everyone. I loved Javon Walker but then he just acted like a POS so **** him. I was happy Farve was traded and rooted for him on the Jets. Then we all saw the real Brett and him acting like a POS and bolting to the Vikings. Honestly I ****ing hate him so much I could care less what he did for the Packers.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Vilma left. It was a dream when he went to the Jets. Dream's always end. I remain a Jets fan.

thenewfeature06
07-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Solid question, I live in MD but was never really passionate about the Ravens for some reason neither the Skins, 2 of my friends are skins gans and we have been to a couple of games but I am a follower of Randy Moss sort of..

Loved Minny with him and CC, dear god and Daunte. He then went to the Raiders, loved the ora? of them Hard nosed, dirty jerseys and played in gangster ass Oakland. I am now a Raiders fan and do have a Moss pats jersey, don't like them though haha.

trkaline
07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Good thread in the wake of the Lebron James escapades. If Manning went to a division rival(Brett Favre im looking at you) i would burn his jersey. I would do my best to spread rumors that he banged tons of hookers.

Thats a bad thing?

Brent
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
well, he was traded to the Chiefs and I still rooted for the Niners.

Brothgar
07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
If Barry was traded or released from the Lions before he retired I would no longer be a Lions fan.

Prowler
07-09-2010, 08:39 PM
since this alludes to lebronmania i'll break it down by sport.

NFL-divided loyalties. football is way more of a team game. i would have to lean towards staying with my team, however it all would depend on management. if detroit were to cut stafford or mess with his contract or head, then i would be tempted to switch loyalties. with that said, i would probably stay a lions fan, but have divided loyalties and still follow stafford.

mlb-team all the way. players get traded all the time. i don't care what the tigers do, i actually trust them to make the right decisions. we traded granderson and ended up making out like thieves.

nba-player. its a superstar, individualistic league. i don't even have a favorite nba team. i just watch whoever is playing. its too diluted. i'm fine with watching the pistons, lakers, chris paul, and about a half dozen others.

nhl-team. game is filled with history and tradition, especially in detroit. team all the way.

RufusMcDaniel
07-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I am loyal to the teams. There are some players that really get you when they leave. Steve McNair and Mats Sundin were both extremely tough for me. Both were staples for my teams when I was just getting into each sport.

For McNair, he was the reason I became a Titans fan. Seeing the treatment he was receiving before going to the Ravens was ******. But after watching the team and becoming emotionally attached after those years, I wouldn't change.

bantx
07-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I will always cheer for LT

diabsoule
07-10-2010, 02:18 AM
Team. Been with the Saints after seeing some of my favorite players leave in the past. I wish those players the best but always root for my team.

CJSchneider
07-10-2010, 02:24 AM
I became a Saints fan when they drafted Stallworth, so the trade to Phi made me choose, and I chose team. But I still wish he would do amazing.

The I became a LeCharles Bentley fan, then he goes to Cleveland and gets Staph.

Then I become a Karney fan, and he gets cut on his wedding day.

Im hoping my string stops with Evans and Nicks.

So do I.

well, he was traded to the Chiefs and I still rooted for the Niners.

I continued to love the 49ers after Montana left as well. See Brent, my heart is big enough to still have some love for the 49ers.

BigDawg819
07-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Team, of course. I still root for all my favorite former Steelers like Peezy and that's it. If they went to a team that I hate or a rival team, then all bets are off and I don't like that player anymore. But it's the team first.

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10032000/10032839.jpg

Don't ever mention him again or admit you're a hypocrite

Mr.Regular
07-10-2010, 03:26 AM
Team of course. I bleed green and gold. I'm loyal to the team as a whole, not the individual parts of it. My old favourite player of all time left. He's my least favourite player of all time now. You disrespect us, the fanbase, and we'll disrespect you right back. No one is bigger then the team.

If someone is saying player, then they're obviously not a diehard.

yodabear
07-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Depends on the sport. When Holt went to the Jags, I stayed with the Rams and still stuck on them. Or if, please dear God, God forbid Pujols went elsewhere, I would stick by with the Cards. However, in the NBA, my guy is D-Wade and if he woulda went to the Bulls, I woulda went with him. However, I stick with the Heat and now I look like a banwagoner.

LizardState
07-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Team of course.

Hard to do in the age of FA, but it's FB we're talking & it's the best, last true team sport.

AntoinCD
07-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Definitely team although if I liked the player enough I would still root for them.

With the Pats it's kind of inevitable that some players will leave or be traded so it's happened before. I have no real hard feelings towards any player who left but I wouldnt exactly root for them. I may start rooting for Seymour after this year because I want the Riaders to suck bad and get the Pats a high pick.

Best example I can think of is when Henrik Larsson left Celtic and went to Barcelona. He will go down as one of Celtic's best ever players and I cheered for him when Barcelona won the Champions League. It was harder when he went to Manchester United but I still really liked him.

YAYareaRB
07-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Team. I'm a Niner till a die...Ner

Splat
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm a Raider fan. Everyone who I like leaves.

Except for Tim Brown.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/08/10/images/OT_193234_FITT_Bucs_11r.jpg

PoopSandwich
07-14-2010, 10:30 AM

-Scout

Brownssssssssssssssssssssss > Winslowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

nepg
07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Brownssssssssssssssssssssss > Winslowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
What about Bodden? Time to request a name change?

AntoinCD
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Brownssssssssssssss < Boddennnnnnnnnnnn ;)

Philliez01
07-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Interesting thread actually.

I was born and raised in the South Jersey area (mostly Eagles country with a smatter of Giants fans) but my whole family are pretty much Steeler fans (but Philadelphia fans for everything else) because my mother went to high school with Franco Harris (the high school I most recently graduated from) and he grew up on the street in which she lived on.

But I never was into the Eagles (though at age 5 or 6 when I got into sports, I couldn't really get into Bobby Hoying though I think I have a youth-sized, kelly green jersey of Ricky Watters somewhere) nor the Steelers. So I kind of originally liked the Jaguars because of Mark Brunell and Natrone Means. No real reason other than I guess I remember them playing the Steelers a couple times and winning so I picked them.

I remember though watching ESPN with my dad and seeing Peyton Manning in a UT jersey and remember a play in which he threw a bomb to Marcus Nash. So I became a Peyton fan and remember him staying in school and the awesome Heisman promos with him, Leaf, Moss and Woodson. He got drafted by the Colts, I got to know the organization later on and if he were ot spurn the Colts, I'd be highly upset but I have no clue what I'd do.

SuperMcGee
07-14-2010, 03:04 PM
I remember though watching ESPN with my dad and seeing Peyton Manning in a UT jersey and remember a play in which he threw a bomb to Marcus Nash. So I became a Peyton fan and remember him staying in school and the awesome Heisman promos with him, Leaf, Moss and Woodson. He got drafted by the Colts, I got to know the organization later on and if he were ot spurn the Colts, I'd be highly upset but I have no clue what I'd do.

You'd give in to the greatness of his successor, the glorious Drew Willy.

Philliez01
07-14-2010, 03:23 PM
You'd give in to the greatness of his successor, the glorious Drew Willy.

It's only a matter of when, not if.

BlindSite
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Team, **** Peppers.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Team. For me, living in Ottawa there is no local team to follow(except in hockey, but **** the sens), so the reason I cheer for the teams that I cheer for is because of a player. I'm a Broncos fan because of Elway, but I didn't stop being one after he retired. I'm a Devils fan because of Brodeur, and I'll be one after he retires. I became a Cavs fan because of LeBron, and I'm still one even though he tried to take the easy way out. I think a lot of it depends on how they leave, anyway. Some of the examples I've seen here, like Bledsoe, or Nomar, guys who were kinda pushed out, or guys who became cap casualties or the team just went for a youth movement. Then, it's easy to remain a fan of your team, while also hoping the player finds success. Then there's the whole "have an hour long special on live TV where you announce you're going to go ring chasing despite being only 25 years old" method. When this happens, you can't really have it both ways, you have to choose one or the other.

Also with football, obviously with Denver giving away their two best players the past two years, I remain a fan, however reluctantly. And because I still blame McXanders for them, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutler and Marsh perform well.

PoopSandwich
07-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Winslow is my favorite player and that is the topic of the thread.

dannyz
07-15-2010, 04:46 AM
I don't really have a favorite team. I follow the Draft and now Recruiting so I start to like a Player and like what team he's on. I like every team ones a little more then others I go for the Vikings and now am starting to like the Lions because I like Stafford,Calvin,Suh. I really like the Viking because of AD.

eaglesalltheway
07-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Its gotta be team, the last two years the Eagles have lost Dawk, Donovan, Westy, Sheldon Brown, Shawn Andrews (albeit not much of a loss any more), Jon Runyan, and William Thomas. If I would've abandoned them at any time, it would've been now. I'm standing pat with the Eagles for life.

Job
07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Being from the North where there's no Football (CFL doesn't count), I end up liking teams either because of their players or their overall playing style, but my heart really doesn't side with any team. I probably won't follow the Colts anymore whenever Peyton leaves, won't hate the Pats as much whenever Bellihick leaves, will stop liking the Ravens if their aggressive D style changes, and already don't care as much for the Eagles since JJ kicked the bucket.

However when talking hockey it is team first ; I can't really think about not rooting for the Habs anymore (exception being if Quebec gets a team back). But I still stick to the previous logic to define which other teams I will like.