PDA

View Full Version : What about a draft like this?

TacticaLion
03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I know I've been all about Willis (and I still think he's an incredible player), but I also thought about a draft like this:

(Lions trade down to the 8-12, receive an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick)
1. LaRon Landry - S
2. Jon Beason - MLB (2nd choice: David Harris - MLB)
2. Drew Stanton - QB
3. Dan Bazuin - DE
3. Daymeion Hughes - CB
4. *Best Available OG*

The Lions are interested in trading down, and I don't think it will be lower than pick 15. Doing this would fill quite a lot of positions... nicely.

Just a thought... what do you think?

Scotty D
03-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Love it. Realistic and fills our holes. Only thing I'm worried about is that it looks liek Beason may be a first rounder right now. Could make our fourth rounder Anthony Waters.

TacticaLion
03-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Love it. Realistic and fills our holes. Only thing I'm worried about is that it looks liek Beason may be a first rounder right now. Could make our fourth rounder Anthony Waters.Oh... right... I was going to adjust the picks.

Correction made - if Beason is gone, we'll look at Harris.

Bootland27
03-17-2007, 11:05 PM
willis is probably the best pick at 8-12, you had it right initially.

I'd go something like this.
1. Willis (MLB)
2a. Mccauley (CB)
2b. Abiamiri (DE)
3a. Best OG available
3b. Trent Edwards (QB)

neko4
03-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Stanton wont fall that far, try Edwards or Kolb in the 3rd, but good mock

Scotty D
03-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Stanton wont fall that far, try Edwards or Kolb in the 3rd, but good mock

Stanton won't fall to upper portion of the second round?

detroit4life
03-17-2007, 11:20 PM
great mock fills about everything and gives us a future QB i'd be very happy if our draft went like that lookinh at it thats four people who will help this team win next year

WMD
03-18-2007, 12:13 AM
willis is probably the best pick at 8-12, you had it right initially.

I'd go something like this.
1. Willis (MLB)
2a. Mccauley (CB)
2b. Abiamiri (DE)
3a. Best OG available
3b. Trent Edwards (QB)

I love it.. but Replace Trent Edwards with maybe another LB.. Quincy Black could be a good pick there.. or a Safety..

Iamcanadian
03-18-2007, 12:56 AM
I know I've been all about Willis (and I still think he's an incredible player), but I also thought about a draft like this:

1. LaRon Landry - S
2. Drew Stanton - QB
3. Dan Bazuin - DE
3. Daymeion Hughes - CB
4. *Best Available OG*

The Lions are interested in trading down, and I don't think it will be lower than pick 15. Doing this would fill quite a lot of positions... nicely.

Landry - sure fire starter who will be a very solid player
Beason - could easily be available, he's not a sure thing to go round 1 by any means
Stantan - could be good or could be a bust, hard to tell but worth the risk
Dan Bazuin - projected to be a career backup, it would be a suprise if he became much more
Daymeion Hughes - despite a lot of draftniks thinking this guy will be a solid NFL cover 2 CB, he's would be among the slowest CB's in the league and that makes him a huge risk to ever be a starter

Tampa Bay (see Rice and Sapp in their heydays), Indy (see Feeney) and Chicago (see Alex Brown, Ogunleye, Anderson and Tommie Harris) all built their cover 2 defense around great players on their DL. Without at least 1 GREAT pass rusher on the DL, the cover 2 becomes a very shaky defense no matter how solid the other players on the defense are. If we expect to win any games through our defensive play, this draft is very suspect for accomplishing that goal. If our draft looked like this, our offense would practically be on its own to bring home wins.
So the question becomes, Is it worth Stanton and Hughes to pass on Adams who certainly has the potential to be a GREAT DLman. Tampa, Indy and Chicago have NEVER spent a 1st rounder on a Safety in building their Cover 2 defenses but that is the direction this draft would take us.
I'd take a draft of #1 Adams, #2 Beason and #3 some CB/S who can play the Cover 2, maybe Hughes but probably somebody else. Adams and Beason would eventually make our Cover 2 defense right up their with Tampa's, Indy's and Chicago's. I just don't think the extra #2 and #3 is worth it to pass on Adams. Just my opinion.

Modano
03-18-2007, 07:52 AM
There's a chance the Lions could draft Gaines Adams even staying at #2?

P-L
03-18-2007, 10:33 AM
If they try and trade down, but fail, then I think there is a chance. However, I don't think it's likely.

Addict
03-18-2007, 10:33 AM

yeah, we could but trading down would get us more picks, plus Adams has a big bust-factor.

Xiomera
03-18-2007, 10:57 AM
well of course I love this. I want Landry real bad.

I don't know if Beason will be there in the 2nd though . . . I doubt he makes it our of round 1.

Modano
03-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Maybe Detroit's situation is comparable to Houston last year, isn't it? Houston failed (or didn't want) to trade down and still pick Williams at #1.
Assuming that you won't trade down, who do you think you're gonna pick with Russell heading to Oakland?

TacticaLion
03-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Maybe Detroit's situation is comparable to Houston last year, isn't it? Houston failed (or didn't want) to trade down and still pick Williams at #1.
Assuming that you won't trade down, who do you think you're gonna pick with Russell heading to Oakland?
It'll probably be GAdams.

Addict
03-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Gaines Adams probably, maybe Brady Quinn or Calvin Johnson, I could see all three moves happen.

Mythos
03-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I like the draft overall (big Landry fan), but I'd be tempted to go OG with one of the seconds and wait a year on QB. I know we have a QB need, but I'd like to solidify the overall team first.

TacticaLion
03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I like the draft overall (big Landry fan), but I'd be tempted to go OG with one of the seconds and wait a year on QB. I know we have a QB need, but I'd like to solidify the overall team first.I agree... to a point. I'd love to get a 2nd round OG, but I also want Stanton. Maybe packaging some picks and moving back up... or something.

Xiomera
03-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Dream Scenario:

Trade down with Arizona to #5. Get a 2nd rounder pick (and something else, 2nd next year?)

Then trade down to #8 with HOU (if Quinn is on the board, they might just do that to get ahead of MIN) - Get a 2nd rounder and something else . . .

Then:

Take Landry at 8, and with our three 2nd's, we take Blalock, Stanton, and Beason/Harris.

Then we'd have a 3rd to take Bazuin, and likely another third from the ARZ deal and get Hughes.

I know it's ridiculous to imagine, but Kowalski said Detroit could very well trade down twice!

DoWnThEfiElD
03-18-2007, 02:09 PM
ya i like the trading down senarios a lot, I really like Landry a lot too he would be a great pick up.

TacticaLion
03-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Dream Scenario:

Trade down with Arizona to #5. Get a 2nd rounder pick (and something else, 2nd next year?)

Then trade down to #8 with HOU (if Quinn is on the board, they might just do that to get ahead of MIN) - Get a 2nd rounder and something else . . .

Then:

Take Landry at 8, and with our three 2nd's, we take Blalock, Stanton, and Beason/Harris.

Then we'd have a 3rd to take Bazuin, and likely another third from the ARZ deal and get Hughes.

I know it's ridiculous to imagine, but Kowalski said Detroit could very well trade down twice!
I don't think trading down (twice) is out of the question.

Jagonsucker
03-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I dont want Hughes, Bazuin, or Adams..they're all going to fail at the next level.

detroit4life
03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
do you want to go into why or ru just gonna say that and not prove anythign because i think your wrong on all three so i'd love to hear an explanation on why

TacticaLion
03-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I dont want Hughes, Bazuin, or Adams..they're all going to fail at the next level.

Wow. Interesting. Quite the prediction.

I'll copy that one down.

reinar
04-10-2007, 04:04 AM

1. LaRon Landry - S
2. Drew Stanton - QB
3. Dan Bazuin - DE
3. Daymeion Hughes - CB
4. *Best Available OG*

change Landry to Willis or Hall (CB is more a need than S)
Beason/Harris if you take Hall first, Hughes if you take Willis
Stanton I like, Bazuin/ABiamiri
Hughes
no need for OG (we picked up 2 in Free agency, so go S here)