PDA

View Full Version : sturdivant arrested

bce
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
My favorite ilb has been arrested on pot charges.

I remember i went to chapel hill one year when i was in shcool and partied with several football players.

Its always something you have to watch with north carolina players.

espn.com

Hurricanes25
07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I too really like Sturdivant but I don't think this is too big of a deal. It's no secret that college kids smoke pot. As long as he wasn't selling/dealing it, he should be fine but I'm sure this will turn some teams off.

Mr. Offseason
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
This isn't a good thing, but it's not that serious. This will turn some teams off but he will still get drafted high if he plays well next year.

bce
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Doesnt mean he cant play surely. Why would you want to bring a pot head inside linebacker on your team with a high pick. Theyre a dime a dozen anyway, it looks like a relatively deep class, so are you going to bring in the guy who smokes pot or you going to bring in the similar guy that doesnt. I just wouldnt bother. You can get another quan sturdivant anywhere, and one that hasnt been busted.

Big_Pete
07-13-2010, 06:23 AM
the problem will come where teams will select him, particularly in a loaded LB class like next year.

I think this could drop him from the 2rd round range to the 3rd round area.

From a Business point of view, Sturdivant has to be considered a risker draft pick than he was yesterday.

RealityCheck
07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
This isn't a good thing, but it's not that serious. This will turn some teams off but he will still get drafted high if he plays well next year.
Yeah, this. Still think he's going in the 2nd.

wonderbredd24
07-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think this has any impact whatsoever

thenewfeature06
07-13-2010, 08:47 AM
First of all bce not even thread worthy.

Saw this yesterday I think and a link told me Mel Kiper has him as the #1 ILB on his board, even I will take Greg Jones over him. He BETTER play against LSU though maybe Kevin Reddick will get alot of PT which works for me.

descendency
07-13-2010, 09:22 AM
It's too early for anyone to care. He will be fine if he plays well this year.

tjsunstein
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
"...In addition to the outcome of the legal process, he also will face disciplinary action from within the football program beginning immediately."

What kind of disciplinary action does everyone believe he will get? If he is suspended for even a quarter or two of the LSU game, that could be huge.

Mr. Offseason
07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
As a UNC fan I hope he doesn't get suspended for the LSU game because we need to be at full strength for that. Hell, even at full strength I don't trust TJ Yates to do anything worthwhile against that defense, so our D will have to come up huge in that game in my opinion.

Hard to say what will actually happen. I guess I have a hard time seeing Butch suspend him for such a critical game.

yourfavestoner
07-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I will laugh when kids are ignoring other schools completely to walk on at California Pac-10 schools or instead going to CA community colleges out here after the election in November.

ThePudge
07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
This is nothing more than a small note in his scouting report. If he has further incidents you better believe each and every one will be magnified, but as of right now I don't think many people care about a lone marijuana charge. This is as big a deal as a freshman or sophomore football player drinking at a party.

Aloysius
07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
In a recent article, Mel Kiper predicted that the character-conscious Browns would take Sturdivant with their 2011 1st round pick. The pot bust makes that at least a little bit less likely.

TitanHope
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I will laugh when kids are ignoring other schools completely to walk on at California Pac-10 schools or instead going to CA community colleges out here after the election in November.

I can see Lane Kiffin making pitches with dimebags as, um, "visual aides."

If kids are making their decisions based on their ability to roll around with weed in their pocket during the offseason, then I doubt they'll have the academics to get into the Cal's and UCLA's of the world. ;)

Besides, they'll still do testing during the season. I don't think the NCAA and Pac 10 will allow the kids who go to the California schools to be able to smoke pot during the season and not be punished. We already know the NFL won't allow it, since what's agreed to in the CBA supercedes state law. Don't ya think something will be put in place?

marshallb
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
We already know the NFL won't allow it, since what's agreed to in the CBA supercedes state law.

Psshhhh...The Minnesota state court seems to think otherwise.

TitanHope
07-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Psshhhh...The Minnesota state court seems to think otherwise.

Aren't they still being suspended? I thought that situation had played out. I always just saw that as a stalling measure anyway.

Besides, kind've different circumstances. The Williams's were supposedly taking their supplements for weight loss, even though the NFL sees it as a masking supplement. A player can't get busted for pot and say, "Ugh, I was using it as an appetite stimulant..."

prock
07-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Who gives a **** about pot? Percy Harvin got caught, it really made him a worse player, right?

yourfavestoner
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Who gives a **** about pot? Percy Harvin got caught, it really made him a worse player, right?

CARACTER CONCERNZZZZZZ!!!!!111one

prock
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
CARACTER CONCERNZZZZZZ!!!!!111one

Yup, this. ****** stupid.

P-L
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
It's not even worth repeating anymore because some people just don't get it, but I will one final time.

Regardless of if you think marijuana is greatest thing in the world or dangerous drug, the fact remains that it is against the NFL rules. As long as the NFL has it's current rules in place regarding marijuana it is going to continue to be an issue. If and when the NFL "decriminalizes" marijuana, then it will no longer be an issue.

Percy Harvin smokes pot and failed a drug test, that doesn't make him any less of a football player. However, if he fails two or more NFL drug tests then will be sitting on the bench watching his teammates play and that hurts his team. NFL personnel don't care if you smoke pot, what they are about is if you're stupid enough to get caught with it.

DiG
07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
i read a funny article in sports illustrated that argued pot smokers are the best value in the draft.

tjsunstein
07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
It's not even worth repeating anymore because some people just don't get it, but I will one final time.

Regardless of if you think marijuana is greatest thing in the world or dangerous drug, the fact remains that it is against the NFL rules. As long as the NFL has it's current rules in place regarding marijuana it is going to continue to be an issue. If and when the NFL "decriminalizes" marijuana, then it will no longer be an issue.

Percy Harvin smokes pot and failed a drug test, that doesn't make him any less of a football player. However, if he fails two or more NFL drug tests then will be sitting on the bench watching his teammates play and that hurts his team. NFL personnel don't care if you smoke pot, what they are about is if you're stupid enough to get caught with it.

"Just win baby, win."
- Al Davis

Aloysius
07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
For what it's worth, the folks at National Scouting gave Sturdivant a 5.7 grade, which is the equivalent of a 3rd/4th round pick.

I think they should have been a bit more generous.

TACKLE
07-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Sturdivant is the UNC's best LB.

RealityCheck
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Sturdivant is the UNC's best LB.
What's funny it's that in my opinion, he's the worst.

thenewfeature06
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
He isn't the worst or best Id say, Bruce is def the best his versatility is amazing and he works hard to get where he is. Zach Brown is still emerging but Quan is the MLB he is important but he will get drafted somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd..

TACKLE
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
What's funny it's that in my opinion, he's the worst.

He's definitely better than Zach Brown. Bruce Carter is debatable but Quan is more physical and does a better job at tracking down the ball carrier.

RealityCheck
07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
yeah but zach brown runz a sub4.4OMG!!'@"'1'"!!"!!21

yourfavestoner
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I can see Lane Kiffin making pitches with dimebags as, um, "visual aides."

If kids are making their decisions based on their ability to roll around with weed in their pocket during the offseason, then I doubt they'll have the academics to get into the Cal's and UCLA's of the world. ;)

Besides, they'll still do testing during the season. I don't think the NCAA and Pac 10 will allow the kids who go to the California schools to be able to smoke pot during the season and not be punished. We already know the NFL won't allow it, since what's agreed to in the CBA supercedes state law. Don't ya think something will be put in place?

Do you realize how many potheads there are at Cal and UCLA? Especially Cal, that's one of the birthplaces of the hippy movement.

And yes, the NCAA laws and/or CBA (depending on outcome of Williams' case) would supercede state law. I'm just saying it's better to have to worry about just the NCAA, instead of the NCAA and The Man. A couple of drug tests a year (at the most). You're only having to worry about a couple drug tests a year as opposed to breaking the law, getting suspended, dealing with the justice system, etc. As long as you pass your tests, there is nothing the NCAA can do.

TACKLE
07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
He isn't the worst or best Id say, Bruce is def the best his versatility is amazing and he works hard to get where he is. Zach Brown is still emerging but Quan is the MLB he is important but he will get drafted somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd..

Bruce will end up as the better prospect because of his athleticism and upside. But on the field, I have been more impressed with Quan.

bce
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
#1 ilb on my board before this, but you can pick a guy with similar ability, its a position of low value, 3rd or 4th round where its a minimal risk, no problem, but a high pick, you just cant do it. The position is not worth high picks anyway really and to use one on a guy who parties when theres 5 other guys of similar ability who dont, it doesnt make any sense. Hes not that far ahead of the class.