PDA

View Full Version : 32 Grades in 32 Days: Oakland Raiders

D-Unit
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
*This is an interactive activity that will allow us to get a forum wide's opinion on each team's draft. Please feel free to comment on your decision.

PRE-DRAFT NEEDS (according to Scott): #1 - QB| #2 - OT | #3 - DT

DRAFT PICKS:

Round 1, Pick 8 (8) Rolando McClain LB 6'3" 254 Alabama

Round 2, Pick 12 (44) (From Jaguars through Patriots ) Lamarr Houston DT 6'3" 305 Texas

Round 3, Pick 5 (69) Jared Veldheer OT 6'8" 312 Hillsdale

Round 4, Pick 8 (106) Bruce Campbell OT 6'6" 314 Maryland

Round 4, Pick 10 (108) (From Jaguars ) Jacoby Ford WR 5'9" 186 Clemson

Round 5, Pick 7 (138) Walter McFadden DB 6'0" 175 Auburn

Round 6, Pick 21 (190) (From Patriots) Travis Goethel LB 6'2" 240 Arizona State 2.0

Round 7, Pick 8 (215) Jeremy Ware DB 5'10" 188 Michigan State

Round 7, Pick 44 (251) (Compensatory selection) Stevie Brown DB 6'0" 210 Michigan

TRADES:

Raiders receive:
Quarterback Jason Campbell

Redskins receive:
2012 fourth-round pick

Jaguars receive:
Linebacker Kirk Morrison
Fifth-round pick (No. 153):
Austen Lane

Raiders receive:
Fourth-round pick (No. 108):
Jacoby Ford

Patriots receive:
Second-round pick (No. 42):
Rob Gronkowski

Raiders receive:
Second-round pick (No. 44):
Lamarr Houston
Sixth-round pick (No. 190):
Travis Goethel

Buccaneers receive:
Second-round pick (No. 39):
Arrelious Benn

Raiders receive:
Second-round pick (No. 42):
Traded to Patriots
Fifth-round pick (No. 153):
Traded to Jaguars

Jaguars receive:
Fifth-round pick (No. 158):
Traded to Saints

Raiders receive:
Defensive end Quentin Groves

OaklandRaider56
07-14-2010, 04:40 PM
We get graded on a curve, right? A. Made smart picks and drafted for need, solid defenders in positions of need with the first two picks that should instantly improve our run D. Houston's going to play LE in a 4-3 opposite Richard Seymour "butts." They've got an intriqing plan for the D. Small school project with a lot of potential in Jared Veldheer, and no classic Al Davis picks till the fourth with Jacoby Ford and Bruce Campbell. Goethel could prove to be a valuable ST player. Really happy with our draft this year.

thenewfeature06
07-14-2010, 04:51 PM
For Oakland I gave it a B, we will most likely never have an A draft imo but it was solid. MLB and a leader was certainly a need, the offensive line was a big need and after all that talk of Campbell in the first getting him the 4th was a relief. Houston was a sleeper pick and he should be a great NFL player for a long time and love Ford and as a returner slot as well as Walter McFadden.

RaiderNation
07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Love our draft.

We got a major upgrade at MLB with Rolando coming in. Morrison was always overrated by us fans since he is a home town guy. Good player, but never elite and McClain can clearly be one of the best LB's in the league. We got another leader on D which we needed since Nnamdi and Seymour are getting older

The Houston pick didnt make sense to me at first since our need was a NT, but now we are going to some type of hybid defense which I think is a 4-3 base with 3-4 principles. Houston is athletic enough to stop the run and rush the passer at DE plus he might see time at DT on passing downs

I really liked the Veldheer pick in the 3rd. Seems like a athlete Al would pick at OT. He didnt give up a single sack in his 4 year career and OT has been a huge need since 2002 for us. If he can be a LT or RT for us down the road I will be very happy.

Campbell was suppose to be our 1st round pick according to many people, but getting him in the 4th is great value. Its known the potential this kid has, and maybe a few years down the line this kid can turn into a starter on the oline. We are using him at RG so far since it looks like we are going to be pulling our guards alot more like we did earlier this decade.

Jacoby Ford is a return man we really needed. We probably had the worst returns last year starting under the 20 yard line many times. He could turn into a slot WR down the line.

Walter McFadden is a CB that has speed and size to be a nice CB in this league. Likely going to be used on special teams as a rookie and spot time on defense

Goethel is simply a special teams guy for us.

Same to for Ware and Brown

Overall I feel like as a team we have really improved. We got rid of JaMarcus, added 2 young OT's that can turn into stars maybe, added pieces to the dline with John Henderson, Houston, got a true MLB, got some versitile LB's in Wimbley and Groves and our secondary is already very solid. Overall Id give our draft a A- which goes up to a A I guess

Texas Homer
07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I voted (A).

nepg
07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
A.

They moved around well, got the guys they wanted, and landed a real starting QB on the cheap. I wasn't a fan of Campbell coming out of Auburn, but I like what he's becoming. I think the Redskins bailed on him a year too early.

McClain is a 10-year center piece for any defense. Veldheer and Campbell could be come one of the most athletic bookend tackle duos in the NFL, and Lamarr Houston is way underrated as a prospect.

Mr.Regular
07-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Don't love the McClain pick. I think he's a couple notches below a Patrick Willis type prospect, and to be a top 10 pick as an ILB you better be on the same level as him.
Houston, Veldheer, and Bruce are all fantastic picks. They targetted the lines, got amazing value, and got the guys they wanted. Jacoby Ford is a great fit for them too, and they didn't have to reach. Stealing Jason Campbell is another major plus.
So they stole a major upgrade at QB, got their coveted athletic tackles at good value, got an Al Davis approved return man, and added 2 major defensive additions (though I'm iffy on the first rounder).
I'm torn between A and B because of the McClain pick, but I had to go with A considering I see 5 potential starters out of this effort including Campbell.

gouldo
07-15-2010, 05:05 AM
Solid draft. Seymour, McClain, houston, bruce were damn good picks, and although I am not a fan of Jason Campbell, he might be pretty good in Oakland. I gave it a B. If campbell plays consistantly, it could be worth an A.

AntoinCD
07-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Gave this draft a B but could have given it a C. I do really feel this is being overrated because the Raiders didnt make the 'Al Davis' pick. McClain will be a good player for them and was a nice pick. Houston was another solid pick but nothing out of the ordinary. They took two major projects at OT in the next two rounds who could pay dividends. Ford can be very explosive and I really like the McFadden selection. However overall it was solid, not spectacular.

The key thing that brings this draft up for me is Jason Campbell. A lot of people are assuming the Raiders will automatically be better now that Russell isn't there but remember Jason Campbell isn't exactly a pro bowler. the thing I liked is they brought him into an offensive system he can flourish in. He clearly wasn't a WCO guy but has a big enough arm to stretch the field vertically but is also accurate enough to hit Zach Miller on the underneath stuff.

I didn't include Seymour in this because it was from next year's draft but if I did it would definitely be a C because a first rounder from a team consistently in the top ten for and aging, but still very good DE/DT didn't make a lot of sense. Once again thank you Al Davis.

I would put this draft very much in the mid level of teams. They have helped themselves but not as much as some think.

B

Hurricanes25
07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
One of their best drafts in a long time.

B

FlyingElvis
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm scoring it an A on hype value. I tend to agree with Mr. Regular that McClain isn't necessarily a top 10 value, but the hype surrounding him said otherwise. He will be the key to this grade - specifically, whether or not I'll want to downgrade it by midseason.

If McClain can perform on par with the hype, I think this will be a stellar draft class.

Rosebud
07-17-2010, 09:41 AM
A.

They moved around well, got the guys they wanted, and landed a real starting QB on the cheap. I wasn't a fan of Campbell coming out of Auburn, but I like what he's becoming. I think the Redskins bailed on him a year too early.

McClain is a 10-year center piece for any defense. Veldheer and Campbell could be come one of the most athletic bookend tackle duos in the NFL, and Lamarr Houston is way underrated as a prospect.

I think you're completely wrong about Campbell, not Ash, he's a solid starter in that he's not terrible, but he's not a guy who'll take you to the playoffs and you should seek to replace. But he buys them a year of competent QB play while they re-stock the defense and next year they can shoot for that franchise QB and NT that they're lacking.

This is an A draft, but it's an A- draft, they improved their team with all of their picks but let's not over-rate that to mean they added many elite players. I like McClain and he'll be a wonderful MLB, but I don't think he's an elite MIKE like Beason, Harris or Willis. Still he'll be great for the Raiders as a run stuffer and leader, something they desperately need. Houston might be the biggest game changer from this offseason, depending on how that whole 3-4 but from a 4-3 front thing works out. And I think Veldeer is a long term starter at RT as well, and as 4th round pick I think Ash has a much better chance of putting in the work to put his talent to use as a long time starter at RG. So a very fine draft but that doesn't mean every move will be a great one, just a whole bunch of good moves.

thenewfeature06
07-17-2010, 09:45 AM
I think you're completely wrong about Campbell, he's a solid starter in that he's not terrible, but he's not a guy who'll take you to the playoffs and you should seek to replace. But he buys them a year of competent QB play while they re-stock the defense and next year they can shoot for that franchise QB and NT that they're lacking.

True story but alot think his play will pick up in a new place but its iffy. How do you expect us to get a franchise QB next year with no first round draft pick haha. Really does suck.

Rosebud
07-17-2010, 09:51 AM
True story but alot think his play will pick up in a new place but its iffy. How do you expect us to get a franchise QB next year with no first round draft pick haha. Really does suck.

A) I'm jet-lagged and high so I forgot about you not having a first next year
B) there's potentially 4 first round QB's next year so you could trade up into the late first
C) I guess you just go for the NT and LT next year and then get to go after that QB, or you can always trade future picks, never-ending spirals FTW!

onejayhawk
07-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I am bumping them from B+ to A, because of some other moves they made. It was an A off season.

J

onejayhawk
07-18-2010, 02:56 PM
I think you're completely wrong about Campbell, not Ash, he's a solid starter in that he's not terrible, but he's not a guy who'll take you to the playoffs and you should seek to replace. But he buys them a year of competent QB play while they re-stock the defense and next year they can shoot for that franchise QB and NT that they're lacking.
I strongly disagree. Jason Campbell can be a Pro Bowl caliber QB. Two points. He has never had the same system two years in a row, including this year. He has never had a system tailored to his strengths, and last year had one designed to highlight his weaknesses.

Jason Campbell is a big QB, with a big arm. In an old Al Davis/John Madden style offense, he is made to order. He is quite capable of throwing the deep outs and doing it with a snap line. He game management is less certain, but he is at least competent. that is something which can be improved through a simpler system and repetition. His play action fakes will need to be good, but there is no reason to believe they cannot be.

His drawbacks are in the short game. He is not a great reader. His middle routes tend to be a bit high and hot. He holds the ball too long. He is not mobile. all those things are needed in a West Coast offense, which is what Washington ran last season.

I am not an Al Davis fan, but to give the devil his due, he knows a bombthrower when he sees one.
This is an A draft, but it's an A- draft, they improved their team with all of their picks but let's not over-rate that to mean they added many elite players. I like McClain and he'll be a wonderful MLB, but I don't think he's an elite MIKE like Beason, Harris or Willis. Still he'll be great for the Raiders as a run stuffer and leader, something they desperately need. Houston might be the biggest game changer from this offseason, depending on how that whole 3-4 but from a 4-3 front thing works out. And I think Veldeer is a long term starter at RT as well, and as 4th round pick I think Ash has a much better chance of putting in the work to put his talent to use as a long time starter at RG. So a very fine draft but that doesn't mean every move will be a great one, just a whole bunch of good moves.

I would say B+, but add the additions on defense, and Campbell, and you get an A grade.

J

LizardState
07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I would say B+, but add the additions on defense, and Campbell, and you get an A grade.

Me too, voted A b/c they made out like a bandit on thieir trades, got Jamarcus Russell's immediate replacement at QB for a 4th rounder, & of course for McClain.

About him, he was a known quantity after the superlative yr. he had at Bama in thier NC season & his setting all the defensive calls so the Raiders are giving him those responsibilities going into camp & seeing how it goes. He is expected to be a major factor in stopping the run & rushing the passer in their hybrid/flex 4-3 , & will control the short middle zone by picking up the short crossing patterns as he did in college -- how many rookie ILBs are even asked to do that? The Raiders were so high on McClain they already dumped starting MLB Kirk Morrison whose overachieving rookie performance has slumped over time.

Loved the Houston pick to fill the DT need, he will make an immediate contribution on the overnight-revamped Oakland defense. They got the OTs they needed too although Bruce Campbell is a project from the Maryland Terps program where they already had a Terp WR project with Heyward-Bey. Maybe if you draft a Terrapin you should leave the in the oven until they're done, too many Terps are entering the Raiders ranks without the polish & experience they need, & it shows -- Heyward-Bay had < 10 catches all last yr. due to nagging leg injuries & has yet to show any NFL mettle.

TACKLE
07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
One thing I found funny is when they took McClain, everyone was saying "they avoided the temptation and made a solid pick." The thing is McClain is a 6'4 260 MLB who runs in the 4.6's. It's funny that by Raiders standards, a guy like that is no longer considered a freak.