PDA

View Full Version : The Supplemental Draft - Official Discussion Thread

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM
It's on today.
No TV transmission.

About the Supplemental Draft
Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, S Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the Supplemental Draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick.)

Prospects
Harvey Unga, RB, BYU (drafted by Bears in 7th round)
Josh Price-Brent, DT, Illinois (drafted by Cowboys in 7th round)
Vanness Emokpae, FB, Truman State (undrafted)
Quentin Castille, RB, Northwestern State (undrafted)

Mr. Goosemahn
07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
At what time is it?

tjsunstein
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm keeping an eye on where Unga lands.

mario
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
At what time is it?
NFL Supplemental Draft begins at 1 p.m. ET

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 11:41 AM
NFL Supplemental Draft begins at 1 p.m. ET
a.k.a. half an hour from now, if true.

I wonder if it will go live on NFL.com.

lowlife
07-15-2010, 12:02 PM
There's some speculation Price-Brent could go before Unga. I don't see it.
I don't think anyone goes higher than a 6th if at all.

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
There's some speculation Price-Brent could go before Unga. I don't see it.
I don't think anyone goes higher than a 5th.

Agreed on the value, but if some team becomes intrigued by Price-Brent's athleticism and the value of DT is great, it could happen.

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Is there any missing prospect or it is just those three guys?

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Is there any missing prospect or it is just those three guys?

There are a few more out there who won't get selected

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
There are a few more out there who won't get selected
Do you have a list with them, Shane? Just to add to the main post.

Splat
07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Rounds one and two have came and went with no one being drafted which is no surprise.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/15/cleveland-finally-catches-a-break/

The whole thing is done by email so you won't here much about it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/15/supplemental-draft-gets-rolling-via-e-mail-soon/

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2010, 01:12 PM
We are into the 7th round, no one selected yet.

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I guess no one goes here.

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Unga goes to the Bears

Price-Brent to the Cowboys

Both 7th round selections

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Wow, the Bears, I guess nobody expected that.

Splat
07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
This was so exciting...

tjsunstein
Both fine pick ups. Of course to a division rival.

Mr. Goosemahn
Interesting, Unga to Bears. Didn't expect that.

I thought that, at the lastest, he'd be a 6th.

Goes on to show how spontaneous the supplemental draft is, or how little I know about it.

Hopefully the former :)

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2010, 01:24 PM
It makes sense as they have no #3 RB. Only for depth. I am more interested in Price-Brent. Great fit, big upside.

RealityCheck
07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Someone has to go and sign Emokpae, dude's a beast.

BeerBaron
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
It makes sense as they have no #3 RB. Only for depth. I am more interested in Price-Brent. Great fit, big upside.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.....Garrett Wolfe much? Awesome special teamer that we....used (wasted) a 3rd round pick on...

Like I said in the Bears discussion, Unga should make a good short yardage bruiser to stick behind Forte and Taylor.

phlysac
07-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Someone has to go and sign Emokpae, dude's a beast.

Totally agree from a measurables and athleticism standpoint. If he has any ability as a blocker AT ALL he should wind up on a Practice Squad this season for sure. It's difficult to find players his size with as much receiving experience as he has.

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmm.....Garrett Wolfe much? Awesome special teamer that we....used (wasted) a 3rd round pick on...

Like I said in the Bears discussion, Unga should make a good short yardage bruiser to stick behind Forte and Taylor.

Wolfe was close to getting cut anyway.

regoob2
07-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I like the Bears picking Unga. He can definitely make a team and see the field. Good pick up.

CJSchneider
07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I was hoping N.O.would take a chance on Josh Price-Brent. I hope Quentin Castille gets a chance somewhere,as he is a fellow NSU alumni.

Ozzy
07-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Castille and Unga I would be really interested in, especially Unga. However let us be honest, there is not Jared Gaither or Ahmad Brooks in this years class I doubt correct?

Those players were ones to watch out for, these guys are very average at best.

Shane P. Hallam
07-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Castille and Unga I would be really interested in, especially Unga. However let us be honest, there is not Jared Gaither or Ahmad Brooks in this years class I doubt correct?

Those players were ones to watch out for, these guys are very average at best.

Don't sleep on Price-Brent, he is a nice fit in Dallas.

iowatreat54
07-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't sleep on Price-Brent, he is a nice fit in Dallas.

Yea, Brent actually has a good amount of talent and was starting to emerge as a top player at Illinois. However, the dumbass went and failed out of school and decided to enter the supplemental draft rather than take summer school. So he has the talent, but he might not have the mental capacity.

Aloysius
07-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I went back and watched Quentin Castille's best game at Nebraska, the bowl game against Clemson: the guy is big and nasty in blitz pickup, but he possesses marginal burst as a runner. He had a few big runs where he bounced off of sloppy tackles, but he also repeatedly got brought down behind the line of scrimmage.

In addition, he was an imprecise route runner and wasn't at all featured in the passing game.

There's the possibility that a team will try out Castille at fullback, but I'm not sure he's got the body for it. And I don't think he's got the speed to be a committee back in the NFL.

Splat
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Bears sign rookie RB Unga (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20100721_bears_sign_rookie_rb_unga)

dannyz
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Has Castille went to an tryouts?

thule
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Yea, Brent actually has a good amount of talent and was starting to emerge as a top player at Illinois. However, the dumbass went and failed out of school and decided to enter the supplemental draft rather than take summer school. So he has the talent, but he might not have the mental capacity.

I don't think this is right....

I'm pretty sure he was suspended from this season after pleading guilty to a DUI charge and the team dismissed him after everything settled. Thus he entered the draft...feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

phlysac
07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
He was, indeed suspended for a DUI. However, he was ruled academically ineligible by the University making it impossible to be reinstated.