PDA

View Full Version : How would the Best Players in other Football League's do in the NFL?

dannyz
07-16-2010, 01:16 AM
I wonder how the best player in other Football League's do in the NFL. I don't know the best players in the CFL,UFL,Arena and others. How would the best players do in the NFL?

TACKLE
07-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Well Cam Wake lead the CFL in sacks and won DPOY. Now he is a solid starter at OLB and is the Dolphins best pass rusher.

TitanHope
07-16-2010, 01:36 AM
The UFL and Arena League guys are players who couldn't make it in the NFL, for the most part.

If the Arena League players could fair well, then you'd think they would be playing in the NFL, don't ya think? Even if they're a star in their respective leagues, the money, prestige, and pretty much everything else is better in the NFL. I don't think they even make an NFL roster.

As for the UFL, there are plenty of guys who've been in the NFL and could probably make a team. But still, they're not in the NFL for a reason, so I think they'd be pure depth and backup players.

The CFL I'm not too familiar with. I'm guessing it's filled with Americans who couldn't make the NFL, and Canadians who either couldn't make it in the NFL or Canadians who don't want to leave their country but still want to play football. But then you have a guy like Cameron Wake, who is a multi-POY in the CFL, but on the Dolphins he's a rotational OLB (although I'm guessing his role will increase next year, and maybe even start). So that shows the jump in competition from there to the NFL.

I think, for the most part, they wouldn't fair well, but there are exceptions to the rule like Kurt Warner.

dannyz
07-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah. But like if it was the best player in the League?

SickwithIt1010
07-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah. But like if it was the best player in the League?

there is still a reason why they arent in the NFL....

....most of them just cant hack it with the big boys, like im sure alot of them can make teams, but wouldnt be anything more than back ups.

A Perfect Score
07-16-2010, 02:23 AM
There are different aspects to it to, and while for the most part its an inferior skillset, that isnt always it. While Im certainly not a fan of the CFL, and Ive actually practiced with the Argonauts on occasion, a nice example I like to give people when they try and denounce the CFL is Ricky Williams. While playing for the Argos in 2007, Williams put up nice, but not exemplary numbers. We are talking about one of the best college RB's ever and one of the most physically impressive guys to ever play the position during his prime. Its a different type of game, its much more spread open due to the differences in field size and the freedom given to offenses prior to the snap. Not to mention, the addition of an extra player and elimination of a down dictate that its a much more aerial game.

While I undoubtedly believe that NFL players are lightyears ahead of CFL players as athletes, that isnt really the only reason crossovers are rarely successful. Its just a different game.

Ness
07-16-2010, 02:58 AM
I think a good amount of them would struggle. But every once a while guys fall through the cracks like Kurt Warner from the AFL and Jeff Garcia from the CFL.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-16-2010, 06:58 AM
A lot of times, the CFL MVP tries to go to the NFL, and ends up being a third string QB on an awful team.

FUNBUNCHER
07-16-2010, 07:25 AM
To make a team in the NFL, you have to be BETTER than the guy you're attempting to beat out, or the team has to have made a significant financial invest in you.

There are a number of average caliber NFL skill players competing in the CFL, but they just haven't had the best opportunity to make a pro roster in the U.S., or they weren't significant upgrades over the guys already on the team.

Cameron Wake was a bust his first go round in the NFL with the Giants, now look at him.

For raw prospects and fringe players, it all depends on the opportunity they're afforded, IMO.

tjsunstein
07-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Why would they be in a different league if they could be in the NFL?

Obviously they wouldn't start in the NFL, so they're in another league.

Matthew Jones
07-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Not very well. The UFL is made up of some guys who could be backups or maybe rotational guys, but the others would probably struggle to even make an NFL roster.

ironman4579
07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Why would they be in a different league if they could be in the NFL?

Obviously they wouldn't start in the NFL, so they're in another league.

While I've always thought this was true, there are other reasons. Warren Moon started in the CFL. Jeff Garcia was in the CFL. There are examples of guys that just didn't get a real shot in the NFL(very few, but I don't think you can say every guy in the CFL just isn't good enough) and had to prove themselves in the CFL.

Brent
07-16-2010, 11:02 AM
*cue that obnoxious guy who used to rant about racism in the NFL because that one crappy CFL back wasn't an NFL starter*
he's still here? btw, if I remember correctly, wasnt it that QB who was from Sacramento State and was on the Jets?

I can't remember.

Mr.Regular
07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
*cue that obnoxious guy who used to rant about racism in the NFL because that one crappy CFL back wasn't an NFL starter*

You talking about Jesse Lumsden? From my McMaster university? Hells yes, guy was incredibly talented. He had a chance to make an NFL roster, but that went out the window quick. Guy gets injured if the wind is too strong now.

Fun Fact: Lumsden is a Canadian Olympic bobsledder now as well.

zachsaints52
07-16-2010, 11:41 AM
You make so many topics.

Hurricanes25
07-16-2010, 11:59 AM
he's still here? btw, if I remember correctly, wasnt it that QB who was from Sacramento State and was on the Jets?

I can't remember.

That would be Ricky Ray.

badgerbacker
07-16-2010, 12:07 PM
yeah, this guy (lumsden, not you). some obnoxious dude would go on for pages, suggesting everything from racism (against canadians) to classism (nfl>cfl) for why lumsden couldn't stick on an nfl roster.
Was that the same guy who claimed there was racism against Canadians for college recruiting too?

Either way, like pretty much everybody has said, if somebody had the talent to do really well in the NFL, he would probably be in the NFL. Obviously there are some exceptions, but for the most part even the best players in other leagues would struggle to make an NFL roster.

XxXdragonXxX
07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Well Cam Wake lead the CFL in sacks and won DPOY. Now he is a solid starter at OLB and is the Dolphins best pass rusher.

And the guy that took over for Wake in BC, Ricky Foley, is now battling for a spot on the Seahawks roster. Considering how terrible our DE's are, he might just make it.

Job
07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
What's a do and why would a league have one?

Sniper
07-16-2010, 07:14 PM
What's a do and why would a league have one?

I love you.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Enough with the Lumsden bashing. Dude was LEGIT.

RufusMcDaniel
07-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Enough with the Lumsden bashing. Dude was LEGIT.

And a nice guy overall. Met him at a stag once and he won the grand prize.

BigDawg819
07-17-2010, 12:15 AM
O.J. Brigance won titles in both leagues. /thread

dannyz
07-17-2010, 01:42 AM
If there was a Draft like in around 1984 I think where NFL Teams could just Draft Players out of other League's. Like how they did to the USFL. What players would be Drafted now ?

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Daunte Culpepper and Ahman Green.

/thread

CLong4Heisman
07-18-2010, 06:11 PM
That would be Ricky Ray.

He let me hold his helmet during a training camp autograph session. He'll always be my favorite 3rd string Jets QB that isn't named Ray Lucas.