PDA

View Full Version : UNC Football under investigation?

iowatreat54
07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/07/16/unc.investigation.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0tpwgJflT

North Carolina athletic director Dick Baddour said Thursday the NCAA is investigating a sports program at the school regarding possible rules violations.

Baddour declined to say which sport, but a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press the NCAA is looking at Butch Davis' football program. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the investigation is confidential.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/07/16/unc.investigation.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0trbbCewC

Might not be the football program, but still pretty interesting development if it is...

Here's another story from ESPN that's a bit more in depth with more "anonymous" sources.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5384232

TitanHope
07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Supposedly it had to do with 2010 recruits DE Corey Miller (signed with Tennessee) and DE Brandon Willis (signed with UNC). These two were at the center of the Tennessee "Hostessgate" controversy as well.

Y'see, what had happen was... Miller was being harrassed by a UNC fan on facebook. The UNC fan was apparently criticizing Miller for choosing UT while Willis was going back and forth from UT to UNC, and for the shadyness of the UT hostesses traveling to one of their games. His reply back to the UNC fan was this:

"and since we on this lets talk about how ya under tha table DL coach wanted to pay me to come to school.....???? No answer??? and how he showed me to diff chicks he put on my homie??? OOhhh UNC is so much better! U a lame yung gunna"

Someone got ahold of him about the implications of ratting out UNC, so he deleted the post shortly after. The accused recruiter is John Blake, former HC at Oklahoma and currently the Associate HC/Recruiting Coordinator/DL Coach. Apparently he's garnered the nickname "Black Santa" over the years.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-16-2010, 12:16 PM
no, it has nothing to do with Miller...though I certainly hope the NCAA has received some anonymous emails about it :)

Right now the focus of the investigation seems to be on Tits Austin, Greg Little, Deunta Williams and the rest of the crew that came back despite being NFL prospects. A lot of agent impropriety supposedly going on, and Black Santa (John Blake, DL coach and their main recruiter) seems to be involved with one particular agent who Kentwan Balmer signed with, and there's a whole investigation with that going on where Austin had a trip to Miami paid for, has been driving around Balmer's sick car, etc

Brent
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Tits Austin
I hope that is his real name

TitanHope
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
no, it has nothing to do with Miller...though I certainly hope the NCAA has received some anonymous emails about it :)

Right now the focus of the investigation seems to be on Tits Austin, Greg Little, Deunta Williams and the rest of the crew that came back despite being NFL prospects. A lot of agent impropriety supposedly going on, and Black Santa (John Blake, DL coach and their main recruiter) seems to be involved with one particular agent who Kentwan Balmer signed with, and there's a whole investigation with that going on where Austin had a trip to Miami paid for, has been driving around Balmer's sick car, etc

Thanks for the info. Glad to know Miller won't be distracted by a NCAA hearing or being involved in an investigation just because he popped off to a pitiful facebook stalker.

Still, it seems Blake is at the center of both situations.

descendency
07-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I was wondering when they would get around to those anonymous e-mails I was sending...

/sarcasm

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Right now the focus of the investigation seems to be on Tits Austin, Greg Little, Deunta Williams and the rest of the crew that came back despite being NFL prospects.
Yeah, blame them on returning to school because they wanted a shot at a good season.

Seriously, what the hell is going on?

Yeah, let's keep blaming UNC, because it's always their fault! Specially, let's blame Marvin Austin! He sucks and he has man tits! Yeah, WE HAVE CENSORS FOR A GOD **** REASON, thank god Quinn and Carter are out of this.

And while reading the comments on ESPN...
"I wondered how UNC was recruiting so well in football. I guess it's easy to pull in the top football recruits to a basketball school when you're paying them."
Yeah, jackass, prove Blake was paying them. Sure, it's weird that such an average program became an awesome program out of nowhere, but that doesn't mean something rule-breaking is happening.

Plus, if this was true, we'd be landing Jadeveon Clowney, James Wilder, Teddy Bridgewater and every single other 5* guy in the country.

Back to the ESPN.com comments... "How else did they get their good defense players?"

Idiot. Burney, Deunta, Carter, Sturdivant. Who they were in HS? A bunch of freaking nobodies. They became All-American candidates under UNC's excellent coaching staff. Learn before you talk, stupid hole.

Oh, and NCAA, why don't you go investigate your beloved Crimson Tide, Buckeyes, Tigers, Longhorns and Gators? It's weird that they're the only ones who actually get to play in the championship game every year, don't you agree?
Oh no, I know why the NCAA doesn't go investigate them, because they're so nice! Their 5* freshmen QBs don't drive Corvettes, and so it goes on, right, Mr. Pryor?

Yeah, let's keep blaming and probing the ACC and the Pac-10. Because the SEC and the Big Ten are great conferences with perfect, role model schools.

/sarcasm-filled rant ends here

Besides, if Blake was actually paying them under the table to pay for UNC... well, I'm pretty sure the NCAA makes trucks of money under those kids who study, work and practice like idiots for nothing.

Brent
07-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I can feel your anger; it gives you strength!

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 12:30 PM
I can feel your anger; it gives you strength!
Thank you. Makes me want to stab someone.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-17-2010, 05:30 PM
lol dude youre so mad. reality check bro, the ncaa is on the campus. maybe old deano can remember this, but blake's nickname didnt come out of nowhere. "awesome program" lmao. I didnt know 20-18 (11-13) in the turd Atlantic Coast Conference was something to brag about but ok. I'm guessing theyre investigating you because Austin was all over the internet gloating about it. Dont worry though, the SEC will get theirs, I hear this is just the beginning. The NCAA is out for blood and all National Championship contenders (thanks Zach Brown) better be on the watch out

http://img27.mediafire.com/ac4b6275515a79ac2da34fdd2417ca834g.jpg

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, I always knew Marvin was an a-hole. But they should leave Greg and the rest of the kids out of this.

Damn, this is so confusing and out of control. Way to ruin a promising season, NCAA.

Sniper
07-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Way to ruin a promising season, NCAA.

So it's the NCAA's fault that your team did illegal stuff?

Brent
07-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I think that's pretty clear. Didn't you hear? It's not Reggie Bush's fault he did illegal stuff, it was definitely the NCAA's.

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 07:54 PM
The 'illegal stuff' you talk about is a stupid comment from a freshman from another team in a Facebook page?

Sniper
07-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh, and NCAA, why don't you go investigate your beloved Crimson Tide, Buckeyes

Both have been the subject of major investigations in recent years.

Longhorns

Do you have any idea how easy recruiting has to be for Mack Brown?

and Gators? It's weird that they're the only ones who actually get to play in the championship game every year, don't you agree?

No. You're just being bitter. They make it because they're better teams and most of them have significant legal recruiting advantages.

Yeah, let's keep blaming and probing the ACC and the Pac-10. Because the SEC and the Big Ten are great conferences with perfect, role model schools.

Hi! I'm Michigan's major investigation for stretching too much. Have we met? SEC teams routinely rank amongst the top schools in violations.

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Besides, if Blake was actually paying them under the table to pay for UNC... well, I'm pretty sure the NCAA makes trucks of money under those kids who study, work and practice like idiots for nothing.

So this means that Blake is allowed to break the rules that the NCAA has in place? I'm in favor of college players getting paid, but your argument is pathetic.

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 08:05 PM
They make it because they're better teams (...)
Wait, wait, wait.

Last season, Boise State, TCU and Cincy all had the same record as Alabama and Texas. So tell me why they didn't get a shot at the national title?

Oh, yeah, let's see: it's because they're Texas and Alabama. They have tradition in this thing. The NCAA doesn't want their sport ruined by teams like them winning their titles.

And since the NCAA knows what happens in their business, and they know UNC's football program is growing a reputation in an abnormal state, as far as being called potential contenders for the following season, they're now punishing us. And they're using the silliest of the reasons for that: the excess of talent in our defense.

All they're doing is protecting their sweetheart schools from the 'threat' of a potential powerhouse coming from the ACC (or any other conference not named SEC/Big 12/Big Ten). That's why Boise and TCU are getting screwed for straight years. That's why Utah was screwed some years ago.

Ladies and gentlemen, in case you haven't noticed it yet... it's a conspiracy. All a damn conspiracy.

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Wait, wait, wait.

Last season, Boise State, TCU and Cincy all had the same record as Alabama and Texas. So tell me why they didn't get a shot at the national title?

Because of two reasons.

1. They weren't as good.
2. Their schedule was easier.

All they're doing is protecting their sweetheart schools from the 'threat' of a potential powerhouse coming from the ACC.

"awesome program" lmao. I didnt know 20-18 (11-13) in the turd Atlantic Coast Conference was something to brag about but ok.

Ladies and gentlemen, in case you haven't noticed it yet... it's a conspiracy. All a damn conspiracy.

Signed,

The USC Trojans.

It's a conspiracy to screw the teams that aren't following the rules.

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 08:22 PM
1. They weren't as good.
What makes you think that? The only way to prove that is on the football field. And yeah, I'm pretty sure Boise could beat 'Bama last year.

And what makes me pissed off to the top is that everybody thinks that Little, Austin, Carter, Sturdivant, Deunta and Burney stayed at UNC for their senior seasons because UNC paid them for that. Yeah, so they don't have the right to stick around and spend one more year in college? Is that against the rules? Well, why don't you go investigate UW about Locker's return, seeing that he was a clear-cut Top 5 pick this year?

TitanHope
07-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Friggin' USC just got slammed. I don't see how this would be the NCAA picking on the little guy or certain conferences.

What did Austin say when he was bragging about it?

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:26 PM
What makes you think that? The only way to prove that is on the football field. And yeah, I'm pretty sure Boise could beat 'Bama last year.

I'm pretty sure this ranks up there with your Mangini over Belichick comment in terms of sheer idiocy.

Alabama had...

No. 2 scoring defense in the country
No. 2 rushing defense in the country
No. 10 passing defense in the country
No. 12 rushing offense in the country

Alabama would have skull****** Boise.

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure this ranks up there with your Mangini over Belichick comment in terms of sheer idiocy.

Alabama had...

No. 2 scoring defense in the country
No. 2 rushing defense in the country
No. 10 passing defense in the country
No. 12 rushing offense in the country

Alabama would have skullfucked Boise.
And Boise had the best QB in the nation alongside a powerful offensive corp and an extremely solid defense as well.

Dude, never say that "Team A would have beaten Team B". Remember, your own team suffered an unpredictable loss some years ago... to Appalachian State.

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:35 PM
And Boise had the best QB in the nation

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL .

alongside a powerful offensive corp and an extremely solid defense as well.

Yeah, that powerful offense really did a lot against the two non-****** teams that they faced. 19 against Oregon and 17 against TCU.

Alabama put up 34 against Virginia Tech, 24 against LSU, 22 against Ole Miss, 20 against South Carolina, 32 against Florida (!), and 37 against Texas. That team was disgusting.

wonderbredd24
07-17-2010, 08:40 PM
College football players are never going to be paid, because schools do not want to pay the rowing team, gymnastics, or any other non revenue sports' athletes in accordance with Title IX. All it would do is kill those sports, so basically the only sports that would exist would be football, basketball, a few top programs in other sports, and however many girls' sports are necessary to appease Title IX.

College players getting paid is against the rules at USC, UNC, or anywhere else.

UNC is not being targeted. The NCAA didn't conspire to kill Florida State or Miami at the height of their power coming from the ACC or Big East respectively. This argument is nothing but bitter whining at this point.

I'm sorry your school has never been much at football outside of sending a few tremendous players to the NFL and the second they are on the verge of being decent, they get hammered for cheating, but it's hardly uncommon for programs that come out of seemingly nowhere to do it this way; ask West Virginia and Oregon.

This was never going to be sustained success for UNC anyway as Butch Davis will be leaving sooner than later for the conference you despise so much - the SEC. UNC getting hit for sanctions will only serve to speed up that process

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Alright, Sniper, we'll remain this productive conversation whenever you find one QB who was better than Moore the entire season.

wonderbredd24
07-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Alright, Sniper, we'll remain this productive conversation whenever you find one QB who was better than Moore the entire season.

I don't know about that, but Kellen Moore is a heckuva QB and Boise State is going to beat Virginia Tech because they have the best coach in the country and 21 of 22 starters coming back.

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Colt McCoy. There. Imagine if he had to face the competition that Moore faced? He could have had 45 touchdowns.

We can continue the rest of this discussion when you remove your head from UNC's collective ass and/or when you realize the enormous stupidity of your Mangini/Belichick comment. Until then, welcome to my ignore list.

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't know about that, but Kellen Moore is a heckuva QB and Boise State is going to beat Virginia Tech because they have the best coach in the country and 21 of 22 starters coming back.

People always want to hop on the nuts of a young coach from a ****** conference as the best coach in the country. Give me a ******* break. He's not on Urban Meyer's level. He's not on Nick Saban's level. There are probably at least five coaches better than Petersen.

RealityCheck
07-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Is that sarcasm?

wonderbredd24
07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
People always want to hop on the nuts of a young coach from a ****** conference as the best coach in the country. Give me a ******* break. He's not on Urban Meyer's level. He's not on Nick Saban's level. There are probably at least five coaches better than Petersen.

Saban and Meyer have 5 star recruits falling all over themselves to come play for them and granted, they are great coaches that know how to win with them and have national titles to prove it. I'm all for giving Meyer his props... afterall, he's another of the great Ohio coaches.

What level of recruits are coming to Boise State? And what is Peterson able to do with them? They just keep winning against everyone who is willing to play them and 2 BCS games.

wonderbredd24
07-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Is that sarcasm?

Not at all... I think Virginia Tech is in for a world of hurt against the Broncos and Boise State may finally be able to get in the BCS Title game this year

Sniper
07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Saban and Meyer have 5 star recruits falling all over themselves to come play for them and granted, they are great coaches that know how to win with them and have national titles to prove it. I'm all for giving Meyer his props... afterall, he's another of the great Ohio coaches.

Meyer won at literally every single place he's coached at. Saban was able to make Michigan State respectable. No small feat.

What level of recruits are coming to Boise State? And what is Peterson able to do with them? They just keep winning against everyone who is willing to play them and 2 BCS games.

They beat bad teams. Wow, super impressive.

wonderbredd24
07-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Meyer won at literally every single place he's coached at. Saban was able to make Michigan State respectable. No small feat.
And I agree, they are tremendous coaches, but Michigan State being respectable and making a MAC school competitive isn't quite the same as Boise State being a National Title contender. Chris Petersen still needs to get some jewelry, but he's a great coach and there's no reason to believe if he were to leave Boise for a bigger school, he wouldn't lead them to dominance the same way that Meyer and Saban have.
They beat bad teams. Wow, super impressive.
49-4 against almost anyone is impresive and he led his Broncos to victories over Oklahoma and a TCU team that personally, I think would have taken Texas apart, but that's a matter of opinion on my part.

The Dude Abides
07-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I wonder if realitycheck realizes that all football programs cheat, its just the big time programs cheat better. SMU can't afford to give dudes houses like USC, or give them jobs where they don't work but get paid like OU, or give them cars like OSU

...and I am a Buckeye fan

TitanHope
07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
USC wasn't the one who gave Bush a house. They just weren't strict enough with keeping agents and other handlers like them from having contact with USC players. Those were the guys who were giving things to Bush and Mayo.

wonderbredd24
07-17-2010, 09:48 PM
USC wasn't the one who gave Bush a house. They just weren't strict enough with keeping agents and other handlers like them from having contact with USC players. Those were the guys who were giving things to Bush and Mayo.
The school knows about it. They have plausible deniability, but they know. A coach knows everything that goes on inside their program. Players can't keep their mouths shut on top of the fact that coaches have guys on their staffs and on their roster that keep tabs on the team.

Preventing **** like this is virtually impossible, but they certainly know after it's happened. Hell, with the stuff Reggie Bush was doing, you'd have to be a moron not to know.

TitanHope
07-17-2010, 09:56 PM
The school knows about it. They have plausible deniability, but they know. A coach knows everything that goes on inside their program. Players can't keep their mouths shut on top of the fact that coaches have guys on their staffs and on their roster that keep tabs on the team.

Preventing **** like this is virtually impossible, but they certainly know after it's happened. Hell, with the stuff Reggie Bush was doing, you'd have to be a moron not to know.

True. Just sayin' it wasn't as if a USC booster wrote out a check for Bush to cash.

But yeah, if USC had done some more self-punishment, the NCAA probably wouldn't have hit them so hard. Maybe they'll get off with a reduced punishment after submitting an appeal, but I'm not sure it happens after their "deny, deny, deny" approach. Their compliance dept. isn't very... well, compliant. Even Lane Kiffin pointed out that Tennessee's compliance dept. was too forthcoming - and this is at a villainous SEC school. ;)

descendency
07-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Fact of life: When you are one of the top 15 teams in the country (or the best team over the last 10 years), you're going to get skull-****** when you get caught cheating. All Pete Carroll had to do was see what happened to his former NFL team... but he was probably too busy banging that grad student.

TitanHope
07-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Where are all the skullfucking references coming from?!

CashmoneyDrew
07-17-2010, 11:34 PM
This thread, delivers.

ElectricEye
07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
This thread, delivers.

For sure. RealityCheck at his absolute finest here. The ultimate rendition of "that guy".

dannyz
07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
If this is True then that Crazy. I think only Marvin would have been a Frist Round Pick and a late one at that. UNC have a shot at the BCS NC because of Defense. Will this effect Recruting, what does Clowney think of this ?

LonghornsLegend
07-18-2010, 05:10 AM
I know I wasn't the only one expecting Reality Check to come in here banging his keyboard full of keyboard rage as soon as I saw the thread was about UNC. At least I'm not surprised.

thenewfeature06
07-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I would like to say I am confident that nothing will happen but I'm not lol. Its getting to the point where it is a steriod era type thing and you don't know who is next. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin got a bunch of money and **** I just don't want it to be true, and if its multiple players that mean our season is most likely ******.

Brent
07-18-2010, 10:06 AM
and if its multiple players that mean our season is most likely ******.
not just this season, you'd likely face long-term sanctions.

thenewfeature06
07-18-2010, 10:11 AM
not just this season, you'd likely face long-term sanctions.

Yeah most likely something like USC.. hopefully not that severe. Id cry.. but uhhhh this article is interesting, basically if Little and Marvin don't reveal anything even if it did happen, were good? Or what are these kids on lie detectors nowadays lol

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story_sports/8802534/article-Tar-Heels-could-face-critical-situation

ThePudge
07-18-2010, 10:23 AM
If this is True then that Crazy. I think only Marvin would have been a Frist Round Pick and a late one at that. UNC have a shot at the BCS NC because of Defense. Will this effect Recruting, what does Clowney think of this ?

Marvin Austin was not one of the 7 best players on that defense a year ago. Robert Quinn looks to be first round caliber talent, Bruce Carter has considerable upside yet looks in the 2nd Round range now, while Quan Sturdivant (MLB), Deunta Williams (S), and Kendric Burney (S) all should find a home sometime between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Marvin Austin hasn't done anything on the field warranting Day One or Day Two consideration, rather, his 2.0 TFL against the run should raise serious concerns as to his explosiveness, penetrating ability, and instincts. He's a player that better start stepping up if he wants to live up to his lofty recruiting status.

LizardState
07-18-2010, 11:36 AM
This was never going to be sustained success for UNC anyway as Butch Davis will be leaving sooner than later for the conference you despise so much - the SEC.

As if Davis hasn't been down this road before (see: Butch at Da U).... as if .... Or were those the violations of the previous HC there, Dennis Erickson? Or maybe even the coach before him, Jimmy "Do Whatever It Takes to Win" Johnson? Where does the buck passing stop? Here is it with the guy who recruited Austin, Quinn, Williams, et. al?

Speaking as a hardcore fan who endured the probations (both of them) at Alabama, couple of points to make:

Once you're caught dirty, the only acceptable mode of approaching this is that last stage of the Kubler-Ross identified stages of human dealing with traumatic events, Acceptance. The only acceptable posture is complete prostration, AKA the kowtow pose, that's complete cooperation with the NCAA investigating committee. That's posture is the only thing that saved Bama from the Death Penalty, that hammer that the NCAA had all too recently before brought down on SMU that obliterated the whole freaking Southwest Conference with it. The smart HC admits the guilt 1st thing, although some attys. might say that admitting failure to properly administer/manage/control your mega-huge, highly profiled program is copping a plea to a lesser offense. Failure to admit guilt is often seen as arrogance & warrants a swift NCAA punitive kick in the ass (see USC, the punishment handed down a couple of mos. ago) even if the HC who was in charge is now gone (again: glares at Carroll in Seattle as I'm sure many SC fans in SoCal are doing now). Worse is diverting the blame to others while trying to exonerate oneself, best case that only works once -- see Phil Fulmer, Tennessee, Memphis HS recruits auction scandal, more on him below.

Fulmer played fast & loose with the rules at Tennessee but slickly blamed other programs (whom he played every season, what a coincidence!) & the Kentucky HC got fired, Memphis U investigated further, & Alabama got its 2nd probation. He played the political rather than the gridiron game which only multiplied the accusations of misdeeds & focused much more closer examination of the Vols program, not less. He was canned in midseason 2 seasons ago by acclamation of outraged Vols fans who could see the clouds of suspicion gathering, then replaced by Kiffin, soon followed by recruits leaving, players transferring, then multiple police incidents & arrests. It happened at Oklahoma too, new HC Stoops was a new broom that swept clean, same with Mike Shula then Saban at Bama, well maybe not so much with Kiffin at Tennessee given the full weight of NCAA infractions before he even coached his 1st game.

I'm not saying that Butch Davis was that new clean broom at UNC, any more than he was at Miami, but these BCS heavyweight HCs have reputations that are only about 50% max of their own, their Universities' PR depts. manufacture.

Now Kiffin moves to USC for more $ knowing the hammer was coming down there, & is taking the heat that is due Carroll, hey, it's a small world on the top shelf of BCS programs, everyone knows each other all too well, there's a wholelotta payback's a ***** & what goes around, comes around & bad karma at that level -- like Larry McMurtry wrote, This world is full of crap & sooner or later you're gonna step in some of it. Coaches' reputations in an intensely regulated, viciously competitive corporate, multi-million $ sport like college FB that wraps itself in the amateur cloak of the Student Athlete Concept are a big factor that cannot be ignored.

You don't think success, especially sudden recent success (like UNC has enjoyed with its recruiting, 3 1st team AAs on their defense), at the top levels of the NCAA Div. 1 attracts investigators? Like blood in the water to sharks. And the USC, Alabama, & Oklahoma probations proved that the higher the school's profile & reputation, the greater the penalties. Ask SC fans about that now.

I love UNC, & no school in the South has a more sterling academic reputation or basketball program has a better rep, that's why I hate to see the hammer go down on them. I truly hope they beat the rap. But if it happens I think it will fall on Davis more than anyone else.

Sniper
07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
no school in the South has a more sterling academic reputation

Duke? Vanderbilt?

Brent
07-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Duke? Vanderbilt?
beat me to it.

I'd rather go to Duke for academics than UNC Chapel Hill

LizardState
07-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState
no school in the South has a more sterling academic reputation

Duke? Vanderbilt?

UNC is unique b/c it has had mega-success in its athletic programs as well as academic, all those B-ball championships with Dean Smith + 1 more recently.... Duke & Vandy not so much.

Sniper
07-18-2010, 12:41 PM
UNC is unique b/c it has had mega-success in its athletic programs as well as academic, all those B-ball championships with Dean Smith + 1 more recently.... Duke & Vandy not so much.

But that's not what you said. You said that no Southern school has a more sterling academic reputation.

Plus, really, Duke not so much? I loathe Duke and love Carolina basketball, but Duke's success in recent years has been pretty damn good. That includes the 2010 national championship.

descendency
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
beat me to it.

Honestly, I'd say it closer to a draw in terms of academics. However, I would say the feel of the campuses are different.

Just my personal experience, everyone I've ever met from Duke or that went to Duke were annoying pricks.

Personally, I'd avoid Durham, NC though.

LizardState
07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I had this rant in the earlier post but didnt think it relevant:

My relatives in the Research Triangle of NC where Duke-Durham & UNC-Chapel Hill are located tell me that there is a waiting list several miles long to get into any of the technical or scientific grad schools at both places. UNC also enjoys an amazing reputation & A-List alumni in the arts as well as scientific depts. that Duke doesn't necessarily have. Duke has the best law school in the country from what I've read, although Stanford & Harvard both can claim the top dog spot there. The best writers in the South seem to be focused on Vanderbilt since the 1920s ~ 90 yrs ago since the Agarian Poets Movement then. I think UNC outclasses both Duke & Vandy across the board academically buy it's not by a very wide margin.

Duke & Vandy FB have horrible reputations, Vandy's coach quit last wk before the season even started. Duke was known for awhile as the launching pad to bigtime high-paying jobs for coaches who succeed there, like Steve Superior who went from there to Florida where he was a Heisman winner. The frustration of coaching Vandy or Duke must be overwhelming, can't win every yr., can't recruit with their stiff academic rqmts, so they become known as the places FB coaching careers go to die. And the lacrosse team "rape" at Duke recently, although it was total witchunt driven by an overzealous local DA running for re-election, didn't help their athletic dept's reputation either.

Brent
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
everyone I've ever met from Duke or that went to Duke were annoying pricks

Trust fund babies?

SchizophrenicBatman
07-18-2010, 02:22 PM
I think UNC outclasses both Duke & Vandy across the board academically buy it's not by a very wide margin.

Absolutely not. Duke and Vanderbilt are a cut above UNC. Both have excellent law schools amongst a sprinkling of other great programs (ie Duke Medical). They also have top tier engineering schools while UNC is solely a liberal arts university. UNC is closer to Wake's level than they are to Duke though they do have some better programs like Business (though this is all really minimal difference - all these schools are great no matter how you look at it), but you'd be surprised at some of the top schools you'd find depending on the field - the only colleges at the top across the board are a couple Ivy's. Regardless, it's still impressive for UNC to even be in the conversation since they're public. Their student life isn't stuffy like Virginia's either, though it has...other problems. And if you throw in sports and other stuff, it probably pushes them ahead in the area. Of course, Duke isn't really part of the area to start with.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. As predicted, the investigation is spreading south. SoCar TE Weslye Saunders has been implicated. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, Weslye's dad is this guy:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/drupalblogs.newsobserver.com/files/images/columnist_saunders_mug.jpg

descendency
07-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Trust fund babies?
Trust fund babies without the trust fund. I should probably qualify that by saying I only know about 20-25 people who went to Duke but I can't stand a single one of them.

Brent
07-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Trust fund babies without the trust fund. I should probably qualify that by saying I only know about 20-25 people who went to Duke but I can't stand a single one of them.
you get those types of people at every school, especially the nicer/bigger ones.

TitanHope
07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Fulmer played fast & loose with the rules at Tennessee but slickly blamed other programs (whom he played every season, what a coincidence!) & the Kentucky HC got fired, Memphis U investigated further, & Alabama got its 2nd probation. He played the political rather than the gridiron game which only multiplied the accusations of misdeeds & focused much more closer examination of the Vols program, not less. He was canned in midseason 2 seasons ago by acclamation of outraged Vols fans who could see the clouds of suspicion gathering, then replaced by Kiffin, soon followed by recruits leaving, players transferring, then multiple police incidents & arrests. It happened at Oklahoma too, new HC Stoops was a new broom that swept clean, same with Mike Shula then Saban at Bama, well maybe not so much with Kiffin at Tennessee given the full weight of NCAA infractions before he even coached his 1st game.

I know better than to get in a Fulmer debate with a Bammer, but what are ya talking about here Lizzy? UT fans weren't happy Fulmer "resigned" because they were afraid the NCAA would find out he was breaking rules. They were happy because the SEC had left the Vols in the dust and Fulmer was getting his doors blown off in recruiting and on the field by the likes of Meyer at FL and Saban at Bama. Actually, that mentality applies more to Kiffin and Orgeron than Fulmer and his staff, now that USC got hit for what happened when Kiffin was there.

I'm not saying Fulmer was a saint, but he wasn't wanted out by Vols fans because they thought he had shady dealings. In fact, if he has done those things, he probably would've gotten better recruits in those two recruiting class misses that've led to the distaste that Vols fan now have for Fulmer (I don't have said distaste, but others think he ran the program into the ground. Forget all his other accomplishments and the fact that he lead the school win a BCS Championship. Rivals rated two of his classes in the 20's+ so he's scarred the program for life...ugh...).

Cigaro
07-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Weslye Saunders under investigation, and judging by some comments, is pretty close to flat out conceding that he did something wrong along with the UNC players under investigation. Possible season suspension. Whatever it is, it'll probably be the same for at least Marvin Austin since they apparently shared the same South Beach hotel room.

Ffffffuuuuuuuuu. I think some here and some NFL scouts overrate him, but we've got no one proven behind him.

RealityCheck
07-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Well, the real thing is: Marvin is not a bad kid at all. He doesn't have character concerns. He's just a bit cocky, but hell, he doesn't really mess with anyone.

People are just pretending he's the next O.J.

Sniper
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh, and NCAA, why don't you go investigate your beloved Gators?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5392159

RealityCheck
07-19-2010, 11:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5392159
I'm awesome.

thenewfeature06
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
This whole thing is shady as hell..article from today said he is expected to be suspended for the entire year and source said they won't see Austin until the combine. I won't believe it till I see it but as much as I love Marvin IF he is the only one gone, I won't be too mad.. but Little, Duenta, Bruce..etc I can't have that.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sources-Marvin-Austin-expected-to-be-suspended-by-NCAA.html

RealityCheck
07-20-2010, 11:32 AM
I hope Marvin is the only one gone. Please leave the rest out of this.

I think the whole thing with him is just like Dez Bryant last year. No character concerns at all, and he'll just blow up draft season and still be a top prospect.

iowatreat54
07-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Austin has done little to prove he should be a top prospect thus far, what makes you think being a year out of football will improve that?

Granted, he is an athletic freak, but at least Bryant did things on the field to show how good he is. Austin hasn't really done anything beyond an average DT.

Jughead10
07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
beat me to it.

So true. The old joke used to be that if a Duke baseketball player transferred to UNC, post schools overall GPAs would go up.

Jughead10
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Honestly, I'd say it closer to a draw in terms of academics. However, I would say the feel of the campuses are different.

Just my personal experience, everyone I've ever met from Duke or that went to Duke were annoying pricks.

Personally, I'd avoid Durham, NC though.

Overall the academics are fairly close, althought Duke is better. The major difference is that UNC doesn't nearly hold its athletes to the same standards as regular students. Duke does.

Brent
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Overall the academics are fairly close, althought Duke is better. The major difference is that UNC doesn't nearly hold its athletes to the same standards as regular students. Duke does.
don't be so sure. SMU has pretty good admission requirements, but for athletes, it's 900 on your SAT (math & verbal) and a 2.5 high school GPA

To attend a state school in Texas, your math & verbal have to add up to 1070, which is hilariously low.

That said, I would love to attend Duke for graduate or undergrad.

fenikz
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
JaredDudley619
I once got in trouble at BC cuz Troy Bell was an X athlete and he bought me dinner lol..Come on NCAA y'all need to revise some of the rules

from Jared Dudley's twitter, not entirely relevant

RealityCheck
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
So let's see if I get this situation straight:

I am X, a 5-star recruit. I enroll at UNC, because I like the campus, the program, etc. At UNC, I meet Y, a standout from the same position that I play.

Y declares for the NFL Draft, goes in the first round and earns a ******** of money. After some time, Y invites me, X, over to a party in Miami, all expenses paid by him, and all that stuff... And when I come back, my school is getting investigated because of that, because the NCAA thinks my school paid me?

(In case you haven't figured it by now, X is Marvin Austin and Y is Kentwan Balmer).

Damn guys. It's getting out of control. Athletes won't be able to buy video games some time from now.

LonghornsLegend
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Marvin Austin was not one of the 7 best players on that defense a year ago. Robert Quinn looks to be first round caliber talent, Bruce Carter has considerable upside yet looks in the 2nd Round range now, while Quan Sturdivant (MLB), Deunta Williams (S), and Kendric Burney (S) all should find a home sometime between the 3rd and 5th rounds. Marvin Austin hasn't done anything on the field warranting Day One or Day Two consideration, rather, his 2.0 TFL against the run should raise serious concerns as to his explosiveness, penetrating ability, and instincts. He's a player that better start stepping up if he wants to live up to his lofty recruiting status.

I agree, Austin could very easily end up just like Greg Hardy or Greg Selvie. Potential was putting these guys in the 1st round for years, and they were barely drafted.

Cigaro
07-20-2010, 10:53 PM
lol

http://twitter.com/Anchormn_Austin

(And before a Tarhole blasts me for it, no, it's not his actual twitter account)

RealityCheck
07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
lol

http://twitter.com/Anchormn_Austin

(And before a Tarhole blasts me for it, no, it's not his actual twitter account)
"Mavrin" Austin actually made me laugh.

marks01234
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Reality Check - you need a Reality Check.

Carolina has been dirty since Butch Davis and John Blake walked in the door.

Explain how Marvin Austin, the #1 recruit in the nation, goes from not mentioning Carolina to being a Carolina committ in a few weeks. The following year he is taking trips back to Texas for the AA game. This year he is taking trips to Miami. All of this from a guy who came from a self-proclaimed poor family.

It's funny too because the agent Balmer, Austin, Little and about half of the Carolina team are involved with is also John Blake's agent.

Sam Montogermy went to LSU and reported in an interview it was because they didn't offer him money. Guess who his other finalist was?

Sabino turned down Carolina's money. So did Corey Miller. Bryce Brown took Carolina's money and went to Tennessee.

Their are reports out there that CB Charles Brown straight up asked an agent for money.

Your getting caught and now you have to live with it. Hope you enjoyed the two eight win seasons you got.

thenewfeature06
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Haven't been caught yet..

B)

RealityCheck
07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, well, I'm very worried about that.

Any news on this? It kind of stopped recently.

thenewfeature06
07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Nothing really new... I don't want to read any articles speculating its just dragging along and I hate it. Figure out the punishment nowwwww if there is one at all.

phlysac
08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
49ers lackluster DE Kentwan Blamer has now been mentioned in the NCAA's investigation of Marvin Austin. Is is being reported that Balmer may have paid for Austin to attend the Proactive sports complex in California.

These reports coincide nicely with Balmer requesting permission to be absent from 49ers training camp due to "personal reasons."

LizardState
08-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Nothing really new... I don't want to read any articles speculating its just dragging along and I hate it. Figure out the punishment nowwwww if there is one at all.

Line forms on the right. Bama is waiting to hear on their Marcel Dareus eligibility appeal from the NCAA, both/either could come any day now.

Basically I think both our programs are ****** on this, Austin will get the same ban as Dareus from the Zero Tolerance NCAA. And both those originated with the same agent at that Florida party.

Hey, I'll hold his arms if you want to hit him.

thenewfeature06
08-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah well I know Dareus is a huge part to Bama but if he gets suspended for a year, you guys still will be ok. Now before some1 rants about Austin not performing, if he got suspended it would be a huge blow and could legitally cost a couple games maybe.. just his presence helps the defense.

LizardState
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
A North Carolina player from 09 told the Raleigh ppr. that he & Marvin Austin were flown to a workout in California by Ketwan Balmer, SF 49ers d-lineman.

If true then UNC might forfeit wins from last yr. b/c of ineligible players. And ESPN's blogger correspondent in Raleigh now says that Austin looks like he's played his last game for the Tar Heels.

Cigaro
08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
^ Cam Thomas

steelernation77
08-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I stopped reading when some UNC homer said something about the Tar Heels being a NC contender. ACC football is a joke.

marks01234
08-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Sounds like one or two players isn't the extent of UNC's problems anymore. A lot of stuff beginning to out about Coach Blake.

It wouldn't suprise me if Butch Davis doesn't make it out of this.

thenewfeature06
08-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Butch will make it out, but Little and Austin have to be cleared by a certain Friday by the NCAA in order to play and it doesn't look like that will happen...

FML

thenewfeature06
08-26-2010, 05:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5501067

******* sweet, according to sources Butch Davis had a nanny I guess for his family (younger ones) but apparently that nanny could be writing papers for the players. WTF

SchizophrenicBatman
08-27-2010, 03:37 AM
LOL Butch only has 1 kid, and he's in high school

I bet that "nanny" was for Butch

marks01234
08-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm wondering if Butch makes it through the season.

Heck, it doesn't sound like UNC is going to dress any defensive starters.

descendency
08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
9 of the 11 starters on defense are rumored to be in enough trouble that they could be gone for the year. I don't know how 'national' that info is, but I've heard it from 2 reliable people. (I live about 20 minutes from the campus, so I know a lot of people there)

I would call my friend who knows Butch Davis personally, but I doubt he wants to answer questions like that about the team right now.

All I know is that it sounds like UNC is f***'d.

LizardState
09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Marvin Austin suspended indefinitely by Davis & UNC. This is separate from any NCAA eligibility considerations.

Butch made the right move IMO. My prediction about Austin playing his last down for the Tar Heels seems about 99% true now.

I can't recall a college season like this one in quite a long time, with so many marquee name superstars out with suspensions or injury

MidwayMonster31
09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Up to 16 Tar heels could be suspended for Saturday's game against LSU, from College Football live.

RealityCheck
09-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah, seems we're going down the craphole. Great, damn great.

thenewfeature06
09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, seems we're going down the craphole. Great, damn great.

:( Well yesterday I got the news that Little won't be traveling.. and today an update on my phone says the following..

" DE Robert Quinn, DT Marvin Austion (who we knew about), CB Kendric Burney among 6 UNC players ineligible for opener "

The other 2 are to be revealed I guess, please do not be Bruce or Quan.

This still sucks really bad though.

Charles Brown out.. (both corners) Michael McCadoo DE, Both Runningbacks as well (Houston & Draughn)

P-L
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Wow. Hurry up and put money on LSU. UNC is going to be missing 3/4 of their starting defensive line, 3/4 of their starting secondary (and some depth), and their best wide receiver.

thenewfeature06
09-03-2010, 09:27 AM
According to DTHsports and ACCnow, Bruce Carter, Quan Sturdivant and Deunta Williams were not on the team bus Friday morning..

However this LSU team is nothing special I am almost sure we will lose now.. I don't see a blowout but the entire defense is not playing pretty much besides Reddick and Powell.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
So 9 of the 11 starters on defense are likely out for the game. As well as their best offensive weapon Greg Little, not to mention their top 2 RB's Draughn and Houston. Damn who's gonna be out there. Carolina is gonna get trampled, I think even UVA could rout the team they are gonna have on the field. So sad considering how good their roster was.

LizardState
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm wondering if Butch makes it through the season.

Davis looked like man who just got out of jail in his interview yesterday. Now his decision to suspend Austin makes it seem like he's scapegoating him, then the other 15 players getting suspended.

This is a big lose-lose for him, fans & the press will lay the blame for this disaster at his door. He's weathered NCAA investigation storms before but now 3 qtrs. of all that stockpiled talent is in trouble in the yr that was supposed to be their championship season, could be goodbye Butch.

thenewfeature06
09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I am hoping some of the players that were "withheld" from the trip get cleared and can be there by gametime tomorrow but right now that is a long long shot.

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2002/06/09/csp_hydrogen-bomb.jpg

EDIT - According to a UNC official.. Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant have been cleared to play as Deunta Williams has not and will be ineligble.

wogitalia
09-03-2010, 10:59 PM
So I put a fairly large amount of money on LSU at -5 on the line... fingers crossed, really annoyed because I could have had them at +5 yesterday if I'd gotten around to putting the money in the account :( On a positive it's now out to 9.5...

Sniper
09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/26127/uncs-john-blake-resigns

John Blake resigns. Open season on UNC recruits!

RealityCheck
09-06-2010, 08:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/26127/uncs-john-blake-resigns

John Blake resigns. Open season on UNC recruits!
Great. Now focus on the freaking game.

marks01234
09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
This keeps growing and growing. I've heard 5 to 6 are gone for the season with more things being unturned.

I've heard the tudor will span to basketball shortly. An certain player that is no longer enrolled has already been linked.

Hearing several committed recruits and newly enrolled freshman are being tied to certain benefits as well. Namely how many out of region kids.

End of the day, this will make USC look like a model unversity. I don't see Butch Davis making it to the opener next season. A lot of players will likely end up at different places next season.

djp
09-30-2010, 01:58 AM
"Asst coach taking money from agent to steer players would be most devastating NCAA case in years. UNC football may be in huge trouble"- Dan Wetzel

"North Carolina is about to really become a basketball school -- because it may not have a football program after this." - Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples

"Yahoo story pounds some very detailed nails into North Carolina's football coffin." - ESPN's Pat Forde

"Asst coach taking money from agent to steer players would be most devastating NCAA case in years. UNC football may be in huge trouble"- Dan Wetzel

"Where is this UNC case headed? I will quote the venerable Gene Smith:"It always falls back on the institution.' Reggie Bush wasn't a USC employee. John Blake was asst. head coach on payroll -- and allegedly on the take. Risking jrs and seniors at UNC need to start looking at transfer ops. major sanctions mean no sitting out."- Dennis Dodd, CBS

"It's not unheard of for coaches to serve as runners. It is unheard of for them to get caught. If thats UNC, then it makes case significant." - Andy Staples

"The fact that Blake is acknowledging & talking aboutt getting $ from an agent w SoS is devastating for UNC's athletic admins. On. The. Record."- Synergy Sports Representation

Here is the article they are referring to

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AvcyuSGqc4cVvOltVsCSLXY5nYcB?slug=cr-uncagents092910

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/09/ipt/1285725603.jpg

Receipt from hotel

List taken from another board I frequent. Credit goes to him for compiling the tweets (not important, but I figure I'll give credit anyways)

lowlife
09-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Simply said, UNC is ******.

P-L
09-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Simply said, UNC is ******.
That's an understatement. I feel bad for North Carolina fans. This is going to end up setting their program back years.

TitanHope
09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
State occupancy tax? Really?

RealityCheck
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh boy. The more we run, the farther the hills are.

marks01234
09-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm waiting to find out what movies Marvin watched for 14.99?

Should be a story in that.

Sniper
10-01-2010, 07:02 AM
State occupancy tax? Really?

That's usually what the normal tax is listed under when you stay at a hotel. At least that's what it's listed as in the hotel that I work for in Pennsylvania.

I'm waiting to find out what movies Marvin watched for 14.99?

Should be a story in that.

I'm inclined to believe that it's porn, too, but that's usually the going rate for regular movies in hotels up here.

That damn NCAA is just trying to bring the "little guy" down. UNC's done nothing wrong here. ;)

RealityCheck
10-01-2010, 09:00 PM
That damn NCAA is just trying to bring the "little guy" down. UNC's done nothing wrong here. ;)
Oh I see what you did there.

And a grown man can't even see pr0n without his school getting on probation? What a free country. ;D

But then, we are the only school in the nation who does that... I mean, which other school has had 12 guys on their team just for the scholarships? Well, I guess it wasn't Alabama, what a nice, fair school that is.

ncst8fan83
10-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Here is the article they are referring to

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AvcyuSGqc4cVvOltVsCSLXY5nYcB?slug=cr-uncagents092910

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/09/ipt/1285725603.jpg

Receipt from hotel

List taken from another board I frequent. Credit goes to him for compiling the tweets (not important, but I figure I'll give credit anyways)

http://bluepuzzle.org/graphics/iceberg-clevenger-small.jpg

Sniper
10-02-2010, 06:15 AM
But then, we are the only school in the nation who does that... I mean, which other school has had 12 guys on their team just for the scholarships? Well, I guess it wasn't Alabama, what a nice, fair school that is.

Stop playing the victim card. You were dumb enough to get caught. That's not Alabama's fault.

Seriously, for the first ******* time, how about you actually admit that your school was at fault? Stop blaming everyone else and start taking accountability.

thenewfeature06
10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Why would we take accountability, we as fans suffer for what?

Not knowing anything and then one day.. all we hear is 6 starters on both sides of the ball are under investigation... Butch had some issues I think at Miami, and he is known as do whatever it takes type of guy. Sniper. Other teams and players do it, and yeah we got caught. But watching the LSU game with a bunch of backups gives a fan like me, tons of hope for the future and if anything it is extra motivation for these young players.

Edit- and Butch isn't on the hot seat it appears.. as of now

ElectricEye
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
So is this another potential death penalty at this point? This all looks really, really bad.

P-L
10-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I would hope for UNC fans that it isn't that harsh, but it certainly looks like a possibility.

LizardState
10-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Death penalty? Probably not, UNC's academic reputation is iconic, can't see it happening.

I would hope for UNC fans that it isn't that harsh, but it certainly looks like a possibility.

State occupancy tax? Really? Of course, all states soak the visitors on lodging that way. CA where Austin stayed is exceptionally innovative with bizarre, nonsensical taxes.

The upshot of this disturbing story is that some blue chippers in the next draft will drop simply b/c they didn't get to see the field this yr. Hoping that the Cowboys will get Deunta Williams as a steal in the 2nd - 4th rds, if they don't someone else will (are you listening, SF 49ers, SS Michael Lewis asked for his release yesterday). Same with Sturdivant & Burney, Austin will go as expected as will Quinn. Hell of a way to end your college career though, that will be the big story of these UNC defensive picks next April, this asterisk * next to their names regarding why they didn't play their sr. yr.

RealityCheck
10-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Seriously, for the first ******* time, how about you actually admit that your school was at fault? Stop blaming everyone else and start taking accountability.
I never said we were innocent, god damn.

I'm just saying we aren't the only school who does that. Some do even worse.

marks01234
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I never said we were innocent, god damn.

I'm just saying we aren't the only school who does that. Some do even worse.

Really?

So other schools around the nation have their associate head coach being a runner for agents?

So other schools have an NCAA named agent and convicted drug dealer hanging around with players and the facilities?

So other schools have academic issues as widespread as unc? The tutor jusst happened to be the head coaches nanny too.

UNC is as dirty as I've seen in a long time of watching college football.

Now rumors are coming out that two DB's have been charged with sexual assault.

Only at unc.

LizardState
10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
ESPN reported cash payments made, DK by who.

Was it Blake? If $ passed through his hands to player(s), did he violate NC state law? Could he do jail time?

RealityCheck
10-07-2010, 04:25 PM
ESPN reported cash payments made, DK by who.

Was it Blake? If $ passed through his hands to player(s), did he violate NC state law? Could he do jail time?
I hope this ************ ends up eating his own **** in jail.

marks01234
10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't expect Butch to be around this time next week.

This it will be open season on Carolina's players. A lot of talent that could transfer without losing a year.

thenewfeature06
10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Sad day.. but with the way we have rallied, Virginia better be ready though it could be a trap game..

Marvin Austin, Greg "Thug" Little, & the sex himself Robert Quinn are not going to be playing this year at all.

RealityCheck
10-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Sad day.. but with the way we have rallied, Virginia better be ready though it could be a trap game..

Marvin Austin, Greg "Thug" Little, & the sex himself Robert Quinn are not going to be playing this year at all.
The most impressive thing is that all three are still going to be high picks.

thenewfeature06
10-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah Quinn won't fall out of the top 20 imo, but Little was never a first rounder to begin with but will still be one of the receivers taken after the big 4 along with Broyles probably. Marvin could get drafted in the first just because how big of a freak he is. (Indy?)

BigJohn98
10-11-2010, 10:39 AM
And now UNC goes back to being irrelevant.

RealityCheck
10-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I thought we always were.

lowlife
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
If da Bucs end up having a semi decent season... Quinn should still be there. Sweet.

marks01234
10-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Should be difficult for the Tire Bowl to sell any tickets without UNC for the next ten years.

LizardState
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Should be difficult for the Tire Bowl to sell any tickets without UNC for the next ten years.

They brought the hammer down & Heels can kiss post season adios.

I saw a bit of them vs. Clemson & they didn't look that bad, QB is overrated thtough. Then again they were playing Clemson......

No Senior Bowl or other all star game invites to Austin or Quinn now --Deunta Williams still has a shot for that powder blue UNC helmet to be seen in the college post season

yourfavestoner
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
You thought USC's penalties were bad? Just wait.

RealityCheck
10-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I saw a bit of them vs. Clemson & they didn't look that bad, QB is overrated thtough. Then again they were playing Clemson......

Our QB is overrated?

Yates is a reason of joke by the entire college football world, and we all know he's probably better than many overhyped QBs out there.

JoeJoeBrown
11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Hakeem Nicks accused of paying UNC players. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/11/hakeem-nicks-accused-of-giving-benefits-to-unc-players/)

The otherwise reputable UNC has a big taint on it because of their football program. Lotsa pride!!!