PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of the Day: DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina

Mr. Goosemahn
07-18-2010, 01:36 PM
To see previously discussed prospects, click here.
QB Jake Locker, Washington - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2230943&posted=1#post2230943
DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41890

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0908/cfb.top.10.acc.players/images/marvin-austin.jpg

DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina
6'3 - 305 lbs. - Senior

Highlights

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9tEeAHzjWE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9tEeAHzjWE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTEfRNfqaF8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTEfRNfqaF8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VvcNSjarFOE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VvcNSjarFOE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

A lot of talent and potential there, but for some reason I think he'll go into the NFL and have a Jamarcus Russell-like work ethic. Get paid, and do nothing.

Aloysius
07-18-2010, 01:48 PM
The big question right now is whether Austin will retain his eligibility (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5384232).

Joe Schad's got more info at his twitter account (http://twitter.com/schadjoe).

TACKLE
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't touch him in the first two rounds. Not just because of his work ethic issues, but his play on the field isn't good enough to warrant taking the chance of him. He's still living off his highschool hype. I just don't see what people see in him to have him as one of the best DT's in this draft (let alone the #3 senior prospect overall).

Paranoidmoonduck
07-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I think calling him unworthy of going on the first day is a bit harsh, but he hasn't played like a first rounder.

That said, the potential is absolutely there and he's got a great defense around him. In terms of stock ceiling, his is as high as any player eligible for the 2011 draft, we just need to see a different Austin take the field this coming season.

Hines
07-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I like Austin and believe he could be a very, very good player in the NFL, but I just don't think he'll live up to his enormous potential. It's sad that he doesn't have the ideal work ethic to make it in the NFL. Maybe he has a great senior year like Balmer to get more money, then flop again once he's paid.

Texas Homer
07-18-2010, 03:57 PM
I want to see him do more on the field next season.

I know that can be said with pretty much every prospect, but still....

princefielder28
07-18-2010, 04:46 PM
All we hear about is potential, potential, potential when it comes to Austin, and that's thanks to his lack of impact on the football field. I rate him as a mid-round prospect at best and if he has work ethic question marks, he'll only continue to fall.

wonderbredd24
07-18-2010, 05:00 PM
If he plays, I expect him to have a monster year. He's playing for a paycheck this year and I'd be very concerned, he's going to shut it down the second he gets it.

Cigaro
07-18-2010, 06:02 PM
To be honest, it sounds like he's headed for a season suspension along with at least USC tight end Weslye Saunders. Saunders, through his comments, is giving off the impression of concession of guilt(and he plays for my team, so if I'm biased in interpretation, it'd be the other way), and they shared the same South Beach hotel room.

He's got a lot of potential, but lived up from none of it. Coming into college, he was supposed to be an extremely talented under tackle. Because he's basically done nothing, he instead became a nose tackle, because the only thing he could do was take up space. He isn't overly competent at even that, however.

If this guy is say a three star going into college, he's a blip on the radar.

But he wasn't, and he does have the potential, he just has to live up to it for once.

dannyz
07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Compared to last Years Class he's not that good.

YAYareaRB
07-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Compared to last Years Class he's not that good.

http://www.frumpzilla.com/image_gallery/suh-and-mccoy.jpg

That's not saying much

descendency
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Marvin Austin is just not that productive and it would take an incredibly stupid team to take him on the first two days. Maybe you burn a 3rd round pick on him just to take a chance if you have a big hole at DT.

That said, whatever the reason for his poor production, if he can turn it around then he will likely go in the top 15 picks.

zachsaints52
07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Johnathan Sullivan 2.0

YAYareaRB
07-18-2010, 09:49 PM
If he isn't productive, he better hope for the Mario Williams-Manny Lawson effect part 2 lol

CashmoneyDrew
07-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Johnathan Sullivan 2.0

Or Ryan Sims?

AntoinCD
07-19-2010, 07:24 AM
I think unless he ups his play this year he could take a huge tumble. If teams see a guy with poor motivation playing on probably the most talented defense in college and not producing he could nose dive. I think he could take a Vince Oghabaase-esque tumble next year as he was also a guy who was projected as a first round DT but never lived up to it.

wraith
07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
marvin played well last year. his production dipped his sophmore year after a great freshman campaign. he'll be an ok pro but never elite. he's inconsistent with his play like tommie harris.

RealityCheck
07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Alright, where do I start?

As I said in the UNC investigation thread, Marvin doesn't have character concerns. He's just a bit cocky, it's not like he killed anyone.

Work ethic concerns? Maybe, a bit. But he's a determined guy on the field too.

In my honest opinion, he will retain his eligibility and have a good senior season. When it's all said and done, he'll be one of the first 32 players called in April 2011.

ThePudge
07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
marvin played well last year. his production dipped his sophmore year after a great freshman campaign. he'll be an ok pro but never elite. he's inconsistent with his play like tommie harris.

Tommie Harris was a dominant player, and even when he wasn't making plays his quickness allowed him to disrupt an offenses' tempo. Marvin Austin may have been the fourth best player on that defensive line when you consider Robert Quinn, E.J. Wilson, and Cam Thomas (not to mention Aleric Mullins.) His 2.0 TFL against the run is partly indicative of his inability to be a disruptor in the backfield. He's strong, he's a very solid athlete, and he has a good build; however Marvin Austin has been year in and year out an underachiever and you have to question his ability to be a dominant player in college, let alone the NFL. A 3rd Round pick or worse as of right now.

Sniper
07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
His 2.0 TFL against the run is partly indicative of his inability to be a disruptor in the backfield.

That is absolutely pathetic.

thenewfeature06
07-19-2010, 12:17 PM
His play has been pretty bad compared to his ranking as a prospect, but I do think if he is drafted to a team like NE, BAL, and INDY especially.. maybe the Jets too then he could be very solid Amobi Okoye like at worst. At best maybe Tommie Harris in his good days.

ThePudge
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
That is absolutely pathetic.

Agreed. If you're familiar with Nolan nawrocki's scouting reports the phrase "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" applies here. Why Harris' and okoye's names are being mentioned here I don't know as those players were good enough in college to warrant top 15 picks where Austin has played like a mid to late round player. Third round is plenty generous for him at the moment.

Sniper
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Agreed. If you're familiar with Nolan nawrocki's scouting reports the phrase "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" applies here. Why Harris' and okoye's names are being mentioned here I don't know as those players were good enough in college to warrant top 15 picks where Austin has played like a mid to late round player. Third round is plenty generous for him at the moment.

Mike Martin > Marvin Austin. :D

wonderbredd24
07-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Mike Martin > Marvin Austin. :D

I don't that's all that far fetched... I will say this though

Jared Crick > Marvin Austin

SchizophrenicBatman
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Get paid, and do nothing.

So basically what he's done in college?

Aha! Bad jokes aside, I thought he actually showed he could play some last year after doing next to nothing his first two years. I don't think this guy is a complete joke who's solely hype from high school like say...Derrick Williams. I typically rail against these type of prospects, but he actually does have some talent and the ability to play in the NFL, unlike most of them. Whether he actually does anything worth a damn is another story, and I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd round, so that means he probably goes in the 2nd (barring a fall from not playing this year)

Sniper
07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't that's all that far fetched... I will say this though

Jared Crick > Marvin Austin

There are quite a few defensive tackles that are, as of right now, superior to Marvin Austin. Jared Crick would indeed be one of those. I do want to see how he does without Suh next to him, though.

iowatreat54
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
If someone wants to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Austin have similar numbers to Christian Ballard at Iowa this past year? I would look it up, but most sites with stats are blocked here.

Point being, Ballard has been a DT for one season. Obviously stats aren't everything, but I was pretty surprised to see that.

Sniper
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
If someone wants to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Austin have similar numbers to Christian Ballard at Iowa this past year? I would look it up, but most sites with stats are blocked here.

Point being, Ballard has been a DT for one season. Obviously stats aren't everything, but I was pretty surprised to see that.

Ballard was better.

Ballard- 54 tackles, 9.0 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 5 QB Hurries.
Austin- 42 tackles, 6.0 TFL, 4.0 sacks, 5 QB Hurries, 3 PBU, 1 FF

iowatreat54
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Ok, yea I just remember them being similar.

I'm not saying Ballard is a better prospect, and I don't know nearly enough about Austin besides being a high ranked recruit. Just that when I had first looked up his stats I expected them to be a lot better than a guy that's been a full time DT for about a season.

Sniper
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok, yea I just remember them being similar.

I'm not saying Ballard is a better prospect, and I don't know nearly enough about Austin besides being a high ranked recruit. Just that when I had first looked up his stats I expected them to be a lot better than a guy that's been a full time DT for about a season.

You were wrong. Did you forget that Christian Ballard plays at Iowa? As in the greatest school in the country? Where Kirk Ferentz poops out 300-pound sexbeasts and pops them down on his OL and DL.

Get your **** together.

iowatreat54
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
You were wrong. Did you forget that Christian Ballard plays at Iowa? As in the greatest school in the country? Where Kirk Ferentz poops out 300-pound sexbeasts and pops them down on his OL and DL.

Get your **** together.

My mistake. Thank you for correcting me. Honestly though, Ballard is the first legit sized DT we've had in a while. Maybe since Babs?

But back to Austin, there's obviously the talent and ability there, it's just a matter of how he uses it. If we are talking about where he should go based on his college career thus far, I'd have to agree probably mid rounds. However, if we are going on where he will go, even if he has another mediocre year, I could see him coming out to impress at the combine and jumping into the top 2 rounds easy. Especially because there are certain teams that couldn't care less about actual football play and gush over raw athleticism...

brasho
08-16-2010, 08:38 AM
As a fan of a DT needy team last season, I have to say that Marvin Austin was the poorest performing "top" DT that I had the displeasure of watching. Consistently, Austin was pushed 10 yards down the field against the run, he rarely got any movement against an OG when pass rushing, he was awful! The "experts" have labeled Austin as a 1st rounder, a lot of guys on here have been saying 3rd round, I have to go lower than that.

You can look at Austin's potential, which I've never seen on anything other than paper, and then look at his playing time and who he is playing with (Quinn and Co.) and the fact that the man doesn't even own any decent tape and say to yourself, "Who has a higher value, an unknown guy that has great potential but has never gotten on the field due to position change, injury, newcomer, sitting behind legend, etc.... or a well-known guy with great potential that has gotten tons of playing time but has never produced and has gotten his butt handed to him on an every play basis?" I gotta go with the unknown, because in this case, the well-known guy has proven time and time again that he can't play a lick. I'm going out on a tiny bit of a limb here, but I'll say if Austin plays anything like he played the past 3 seasons, he'll go no sooner than round 5. He's just freaking awful at this point. John McCargo has nothing on Marvin Austin.

FUNBUNCHER
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
I live in the Washington, D.C. metro area, and Austin simply dominated the DCIAA because at 6'3, 300#, he was easily the strongest and often one of the fastest people on the field (4.8 speed).

HIs problem now is, it seems that he's never really learned to play the position of DT - very minimal technique, still just a big athlete, and his motor is very inconsistent.

As a college player, he's been very underwhelming and smells like a bust.
You have to wonder about his passion and dedication for the game, or if Marvin thinks he's better than he actually is.

To me Austin looks like a late 2nd rounder at best, and anyone who selects him in the bottom half of the first IMO will get burned.

Really, does he look like a starting DT in the league to anyone?? I see a backup rotational guy in Austin. The ACC is teed up for a dominant interior Dlineman with Austin's physical tools to totally dominate on Saturdays, and most of the time when you watched UNC, you have to force yourself to look for Austin because he's invisible.

With the talent around Austin at UNC, he should be ripping Olines apart, but he just doesn't do that.

IMO Austin still plays and looks like a college freshman.

katnip
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Not making a comparison. But he looks like Darnell Dockett (body size) at first glance.

Is Austin going to be a NFL project for coaches?

San Diego Chicken
08-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Weren't they switching him back and forth between DT and DE early in his career?

Obviously when playing word association he's going to be labeled overrated and with good reason. But with his measurables it's possible he can grow into a solid 5 tech in the NFL.

thenewfeature06
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
He was always a DT lol though he is pretty quick we usually ran the 4-3 and he would most likely always be inside. I mean as of now alot of people have him as the bust already, and it is fair to say that but I would like to see his senior campaign if there is one.

FuzzyGopher
09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules. What a douche...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5520574

BigBanger
09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I have said this numerous times, but I'm not sure if I've said it here, Austin has little potential. He has little ability. He has no technique. I honestly would watch him, and if I didn't know his name, I would think he was a mid round player. Now people bring up work ethic? What good is he?

The guy is a mid round player until proven otherwise. He has no quickness, no brute, over powering ability and lacks any natural pass rushing instincts. People are starting to come down on him, which is a good thing, but the guy still has first round hype which he does not deserve. He might have been a great college prospect, but he has done nothing. And if you do compare him to the top 2 DTs from last year, legit interior DL prospects, and it's kinda ridiculous to even begin to rank the guys in the same area. Shu's power, strength, size and technique is head-and-shoulder's above Austin's physical attributes. McCoy explosiveness, length and penetrating ability is so vastly superior it isn't even funny. Then you think those two guys no character concerns and great motors?

Robert Quinn might be the best draft eligible player in next years draft. Now, you watch that guy, and you will see potential, potential, potential.

Unless we see a totally different Marvin Austin this year, I would stunned to see him go in the first 3 rounds.

ThePudge
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Unless we see a totally different Marvin Austin this year, I would stunned to see him go in the first 3 rounds.

It doesn't look we'll see anything from Austin this year due to his suspension. Marvin was always incredibly overrated & as raw as an tackle I've really decided to put under the microscope. There are tools, there is potential, but he's simply a borderline college starter at this point. He'll put up #'s at the Combine (as Bruce Campbell did a year ago) & the Raiders/Bengals will likely draft him in the 5th Round or so.

killxswitch
01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Any comparison to Terrance Knighton here?

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
01-18-2011, 02:35 PM
He is a terrible version of warren Sapp lol.

ncst8fan83
01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Any comparison to Terrance Knighton here?

Was Knighton too stupid to take the Wonderlic?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-austin-gets-no-99-for-all-star-game#ixzz1BP65yuGM

Austin, who is scheduled to wear a UNC helmet in the game, was among a few players who declined to take the Wonderlic Test this week, according to the National Football Post web site.

D-Unit
01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I like Austin. Always have. 4th round would be a steal.

D-Unit
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Was Knighton too stupid to take the Wonderlic?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-austin-gets-no-99-for-all-star-game#ixzz1BP65yuGM

Of all positions, DT is the one where you can be as dumb as rocks. In fact, I think stupidity is a plus for that position. lol. No intelligent person would go all out like a maniac over and over again and get beat up in the trenches. haha I'm so serious.

regoob2
01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
He needs to be in a one gap scheme.