PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of the Day: DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa

Mr. Goosemahn
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
To see previously discussed prospects, click here.
Jake Locker - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2230943
DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41890
DT Marvin Austin, North Carolilna - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41892

http://collegefootblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/adrian-clayborn1.jpg

DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
6'4 - 285 lbs. - Senior

Highlights

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRMBVQawULQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRMBVQawULQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This guy is a monster, really tough and never quits. Not the biggest dude out there, but he's thick and strong. I think he could be a great 3-4 DE, or maybe a LE in a 4-3.

Also, he reminds me of Darnell Dockett. Almost identical size, play with strength and can wreak havoc when not properly accounted for.

AntoinCD
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I kind of feel if he is going to play power end in a 43 he would be better losing 5 or so pounds and if he is going to play 5 technique he would be better adding 5-10 pounds. He is a beast though

princefielder28
07-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I could see him being a Darnell Dockett type player...such a beast and for me he's easily a top 10 player in next April's draft

iowatreat54
07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I think this year he really needs to improve his pass rush and overall consistency. It also would really help for him to work on his technique since right now he has adequate technique but mainly gets by on pure power and athleticism.

If he can show a great pass rush ability to couple with his outstanding ability to play the run, he could really jump up some boards. That, and as long as he doesn't slap any more cab drivers in Iowa City...

Sniper
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I think this year he really needs to improve his pass rush and overall consistency. It also would really help for him to work on his technique since right now he has adequate technique but mainly gets by on pure power and athleticism.

If he can show a great pass rush ability to couple with his outstanding ability to play the run, he could really jump up some boards. That, and as long as he doesn't slap any more cab drivers in Iowa City...

The cab driver deserved it. You don't tell Adrian Clayborn what to do.

He's a beast. He ate Tate Forcier as a snack last year and was still hungry afterwards.

JFLO
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I've been pretty bi-polar with Clayborn, but I'm more towards putting him in my Top 10 overall.

I think his transition will be tougher than some are expecting, but his determination and elite motor will make him a valuable asset throughout his career.

RaiderNation
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Simply known as the sex

Shane P. Hallam
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
I feel like both Clayborn and Heyward's value may not live up to the high expectations this season brings. Neither are elite pass rushers, and despite the big talk of 3-4 DEs being valuable, other than Tyson Jackson, we haven't quite seen that translate to the draft. Just don't be disappointed if they end up as mid 1st rounders, or with a bad year drop a round.

RealityCheck
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I like Clayborn and all, but I do think he's quite overhyped. Some folks are predicting Top 5 for him, and I just don't see it.

However, he is the man.

iowatreat54
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Yea, he really needs to come out senior year and show that he has worked this offseason to eliminate any flaws in his game in order to by a high pick, imo. Like I said earlier, he doesn't have the best technique, often getting by on just sheer power and athleticism. He has shown to steadily improve in both technique and consistency, he just needs to keep doing it through his senior year.

CB31
07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
He has the athletic talent and motor to succeed...just wish I'd see more consistency and a little better technique. And the character concerns as well.

iowatreat54
07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
He has the athletic talent and motor to succeed...just wish I'd see more consistency and a little better technique. And the character concerns as well.

Yea, he slapped a cabbie for calling him the N word. He manned up to it and admitted he was wrong. Other than that, he has no character concerns.

But yea, it will probably be brought up during the process and made to be worse than guys getting DUIs and drug charges.

descendency
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm not buying a 285lb 34 DE. He needs to add 15 lbs.

Texas Homer
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Beast.

I like him a lot as a prospect.

Brent
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Yea, he slapped a cabbie for calling him the N word..
I dont see that as wrong, I see that as a dude who doesnt let **** like that slide.

good for him

iowatreat54
07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
I dont see that as wrong, I see that as a dude who doesnt let **** like that slide.

good for him

I usually don't advocate violence. But honestly, who is dumb enough to call Adrian Clayborn the N word? Seriously, look at this man:
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/d/35/c48/d35c48a4-d726-11de-9f95-001cc4c03286.preview-250.jpg

Also, for shits and gigs, here's the girl that was stalking him last year:
http://www.wqad.com/media/photo/2009-10/49718718.jpg

Hines
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm not buying a 285lb 34 DE. He needs to add 15 lbs.

Brett Keisel is about 280-285 and is a solid part of our defense. I like me some Clayborn. The way he bitched slapped PSU last year was sexy.

Big Bird
07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm not a big fan of Heyward, but I love Clayborn. He is a poor man's Jared Allen in my opinion. What he needs to do is stop bulking up. I think the quickness, burst, and agility he has displayed is near an elite level, specifically for a man of his size (much like Jared Allen). He has shown the ability to be a dynamic pass rusher, as well as being an excellent run defender. What should be done with him at the NFL level is have him slim down to the 280's and play in a 4-3. He is in between both Vikings Defensive Ends right now in my opinion (Ray Edwards being the other one who is highly underrated for the most part). But, he has the potential to be like Jared, which is just scary.

PossibleCabbage
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I think Clayborn ultimately projects to LDE and not RDE. That's not to say he won't be great, there are guys out there who can be an absolute terror at RDE regardless of who is playing LDE, and be sort of useless as LDEs. Remember, Reggie White lined up against right tackles, and Aaron Kampman does as well.

I think he's a darn good player, and ultimately has the opposite concerns of the usual top flight DE prospect, but I'm not sure how much being projected to the left side of the defense will hurt his stock.

herkyhawkeye
07-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Clayborn is in many of the plays at the end of the hawkeye d introduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wirYshLQyU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNpMdwtbLv0

herkyhawkeye
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
FWIW, if you want to know of a bigtime riser in the draft. Wait until you see what Christian Ballard is gonna unleash this year. He is up to 6'5 315 lbs. Hes a DT for Iowa but was a DE before. Had something like 4 sacks and 7.5 tfl in the last 5 games of the year.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/374912/dthj-o.gif

bce
07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Hes not going to be a pass rusher in the nfl. So i devalue him there right now. He was pretty good on tape, he has an odd in between physical body build though. Needs to put on 20 lbs and not lose any athleticism

bce
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Brett Keisel is about 280-285 and is a solid part of our defense. I like me some Clayborn. The way he bitched slapped PSU last year was sexy.

Brett keisel is also 6 6

Morton
09-12-2010, 12:00 AM
This guy's a straight-up beast. I'll be shocked if he doesn't put up at least 10 sacks and 20 TFLs this year.

So far he has been pretty much unblockable in Iowa's first two games. Can't wait to see what he does against better competition.

Pencil him in as a top 10 pick in the draft.

descendency
09-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Please fall to the Patriots. Please. I love watching this guy shed blocks like he dipped into grease to become more slippery. He slips blocks like like wet kids on slip and slides.

Morton
09-12-2010, 12:14 AM
I can see the Patriots taking him with the Seymour pick. Of course, that depends on the Raiders really sucking this year...

SenorGato
09-12-2010, 02:06 AM
FWIW, if you want to know of a bigtime riser in the draft. Wait until you see what Christian Ballard is gonna unleash this year. He is up to 6'5 315 lbs. Hes a DT for Iowa but was a DE before. Had something like 4 sacks and 7.5 tfl in the last 5 games of the year.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/374912/dthj-o.gif

+1

Ballard's upside is better than Clayborn as a 3-4 DE imo. That said, Clayborn is also the perfect compliment to Ballard's skillset.

Ballard's actually my favorite 3-4 DE propsect in this year's class. The profile screams sleeper.

roscoesdad27
09-12-2010, 08:08 AM
dont see him as a 3-4 d.e. unless he's in a rex ryan type attacking defense as opposed to the majority 3-4 gap control bellichek type defenses esp. with his medical condition....however i see him as an outstanding 4-3 l.e. attacker who could slide into the u.t. spot on passing situations ala jusin tuck whom i think is his most appropriate comparison.

Babylon
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Starting to warm up to the D-line position with guys like Clayborn, Heyward and Ballard. I'd throw Jared Crick in there, he may be the best of them all.

BigBanger
09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I was surprised to see Clayborn tire so quickly in the middle of 3rd QT. Iowa pretty much dominated with 3-and-outs, but the first sustained drive Iowa St. had, Clayborn was gassed. Couldn't finish plays, lacked a burst, had no quickness, looked very slow and was pretty much worthless. I think he has a good motor, but his conditioning seems to be a question.

One question mark going into the season was consistency, after seeing this game it appears to be more of the same.

iowatreat54
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
I was surprised to see Clayborn tire so quickly in the middle of 3rd QT. Iowa pretty much dominated with 3-and-outs, but the first sustained drive Iowa St. had, Clayborn was gassed. Couldn't finish plays, lacked a burst, had no quickness, looked very slow and was pretty much worthless. I think he has a good motor, but his conditioning seems to be a question.

One question mark going into the season was consistency, after seeing this game it appears to be more of the same.

Just my opinion with no basis for it, but I feel that Clayborn might be mentally frustrated with his lack of production. He has 7 tackles in 2 games. Now, that's not to say he hasn't dominated because if you watch the film, he is more often than not beating his man, is constantly in the back field, and is usually applying a lot of pressure to the QB on passing plays. However, it seems he's just been unlucky in getting tackles/sacks. He isn't missing any, he is either just a half second too late or forces the QB/guy to get tackled by one of the other DL.

One of his biggest weaknesses (in his game) is that he does tend to relax a little and just go through the motions to catch his breath on some plays. You can see him sit back in almost of a zone read when he probably should be rushing. Whether this is conditioning or mentally, don't know. But he definitely needs to work on it.

ToldLikeItIs
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
He's had about seven QB hurries in two games. He's doing fine.

When Clayborn goes back into coverage, it's because the coach tells him too, otherwise, he wouldn't be playing.

Saying Clayborn was 'out of shape' 'tired' and 'gassed' is ridiculous. Iowa State ran for 35 yards total while he was in the game, and less than five of those yards were to his side.

He basically shuts off an entire side of the field, which can destroy a run game.

IndyColtScout
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Poor mans Tyson Jackson

SenorGato
09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Poor mans Tyson Jackson

Oh +1.

That makes some sense.

ToldLikeItIs
09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
He's also added a few moves in the off-season to repertoire. Last year he was basically a bull-rusher only, and while that works in the college game fine, it wouldn't necessarily fly in the NFL.

Watch the tape.

Morton
09-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Just watched the Arizona game.

Came away with a mixed reaction. He did look dominant on some bull rushes and had a few nice hurries, but no real sacks to speak of.

Also had an ugly facemask-type penalty where the QB was clearly down by contact already and Clayborn rushed in and clubbed the guy in the jaw and popped his helmet off for no reason. There's being aggressive, then there's just being stupid and mean.

In the 3rd and 4th quarters when Arizona started marching the ball down the field with ease, he clearly looked gassed and gave a very weak effort. His conditioning is definitely suspect.

I wanted to see dominance from this guy, but I'm not seeing it quite yet.

iBoldin
09-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Conditioning and consistency through four quarters are my only two real knocks on Clayborn. Both were evident tonight, but credit the Arizona OL, as well. All night, they had backs and tight ends in to chip, they slid protection over to his side, just tried to overall make it a nuisance for Clayborn to get to Foles. Iowa compensated that gameplan, though, with a strong interior presence, a couple sacks to Binns and the other lineman. So even his presence is a good thing for Iowa.

BigBanger
09-19-2010, 02:00 AM
He's also added a few moves in the off-season to repertoire. Last year he was basically a bull-rusher only, and while that works in the college game fine, it wouldn't necessarily fly in the NFL.

Watch the tape.
Well, maybe you should call Kirk Ferentz and get the tape, because get a load of this... he was gassed again against Arizona. Two games in a row? Coincidence? I think not. Don't get all defensive and pissy because your boy isn't Mr. Perfect you silly homer.

He actually has bust potential. His right arm is significantly and noticeably weaker. His range of motion is also very bad in his right arm. This is something that wont be brought up until after the season when NFL scouts start breaking down the tape. Then the buzzing will begin. Is he going to pass a physical? I'm not so sure he will.

Ryan Kerrigan is far superior. The best DE in the draft. By far. He's a top 5 player in my book. Clayborn? Late first rounder at this point and his stock is going down. You watch Kerrigan and you see a guy with a Chris Long-esque motor, two good arms and great athletic ability.

The penalty Clayborn had was a frustration penalty. Foles, who is a ******* statue who can't move at all back there, was going down and Clayborn comes in and INTENTIONALLY clubs him right in the head. That was just stupid move on his part. Did he not expect double teams and extra attention this year?

I didn't watch the whole game (was busy watching Luck prove he's the best NFL caliber QB in the country), so I wont comment any further on how well / poor he played.

EDIT: I just finished watching the game and Clayborn was not double teamed as much as Bob Davie would lead you to believe... "Almost every down." Maybe 1/3 times was he chipped with a RB or a TE. It was mostly with a RB. I'd also say it was close 1/4 of the plays they doubled him. He was mostly one-on-one with a big, slow LT who couldn't move his feet and has no future in the NFL. He was handled pretty well. That was easily the worst game I've seen from him. The entire line was dominated on both sides of the ball.

JohnCandy
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I would not be shocked if he played DT in some of the penetrating fronts like Tampa Bay, New Orleans or Chicago.

At 6'4" 290lbs with his playing strength he looks a lot like Gerald McCoy. I think this guy has a career like Justin Smith were he is a strong side end or DT.

Matthew Jones
09-26-2010, 01:16 AM
The Pats are not going to draft this guy. He's not nearly big enough for what they want. Belichick's blueprint of a right end in our defense is Seymour - he is going to want a tall, athletic end that can occupy two gaps. Clayborn would really only work well in a one gap system where he'd be able to penetrate rather than control gaps. Heyward would be ideal, but I think the Patriots might try and get another 10-15 pounds out of Jared Crick or maybe take Allen Bailey, as he's been able to beat some double teams. Besides, the team has bigger needs than along the defensive line - Gerard Warren has played well this year (as expected), Wilfork is as good as ever, and it looks like Ron Brace is starting to come into his own now as well, so Mike Wright can come in on passing downs. Ty Warren will return next year as well.

JohnCandy
09-26-2010, 11:36 AM
He does not look to have the speed to push the corner out on the edge and at his size 6'4" 290lbs. do you think he could play DT in a 4-3 front?

He looks a lot like Gerald McCoy physically and could he play the Tampa 2 under tackle?

Morton
09-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I would say the best place for him in the NFL is as a classic 4-3 LDE based on his size and strength and lack of elite speed.