PDA

View Full Version : Jabaal Sheard

phlysac
07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Pitt player refused to stop beating man, police said

University of Pittsburgh football player Jabaal Sheard refused to stop fighting on a South Side street early Sunday morning and then hurled another man through a glass door even after a police officer hit him repeatedly with his baton, according to court papers.

Mr. Sheard, a starting defensive end, was charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct in the incident outside La Fond Galleries on East Carson Street.

Jabaal SheardGarrett Brown, a city officer working an off-duty detail, said Mr. Sheard, listed at 6-feet-4 and 260 pounds, ignored his commands to stop fighting Edward Parker, 27, of Stanton Heights.

Officer Brown said Mr. Sheard kept punching Mr. Parker as the officer and other city officers tried to break up the fight. After absorbing several of Officer Brown's baton blows to the body, Mr. Sheard picked up Mr. Parker by his clothing and threw him through the glass door of the gallery, then continued to punch him in the face as he lay bleeding on the floor inside the business, according to an affidavit.

Officers finally subdued both men with OC spray.

Mr. Sheard was taken to jail. Mr. Parker's girlfriend drove him to the hospital.

Officer Brown said he didn't know why the men were fighting, but he said he'll talk to the district attorney's office about possible charges against Mr. Parker for his role.

Mr. Sheard has been suspended from the team.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10200/1073820-100.stm

Pitt's Sheard charged with assault, suspended

Pitt defensive end Jabaal Sheard has been suspended indefinitely after being accused of throwing another man through the glass door of an art gallery.

Police say Sheard was in a fight early Sunday and had to be pepper sprayed after he threw the man through the door of La Fond Galleries.

Pitt spokesman E.J. Borghetti says Sheard has been suspended from team activities while the athletic department investigates.

Sheard was arraigned Sunday on charges including aggravated assault and resisting arrest. Police say charges are possible against the other man. Borghetti declined to comment on Sheard's behalf.

The 21-year-old Sheard is from Hollywood Hills, Fla. He tallied five sacks while starting all 13 games for the Panthers last season.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iyE_8fBx0GEhkv8OSbTp131G4xTAD9H26NI01

It'll be interesting to see what the fallout is. Sheard has really developed a buzz surrounding his draft status and this incident could prove costly. I predict that he will be reinstated at-some-point once the investigation is concluded. If I'm wrong, now is the time for former 5-Star recruit RS Sophomore Shayne Hale to step up.

RealityCheck
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Looks like somebody has to be removed from bce's "board".

Shane P. Hallam
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I know his replacement personally, Myles Caragein. He was an all-state wrestler from the school I am teaching at now, hard worker. Pitt is beefing him up since he doesn't have the height or wingspan to be a pure pass rusher. He'll be a nice run stuffer and compliment to Romeus who can move inside to UT as needed.

He'll probably rotate with Hale.

zachsaints52
07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Fighting while being beaten by a baton? Thats hardcore.

phlysac
07-20-2010, 08:54 AM
I know his replacement personally, Myles Caragein. He was an all-state wrestler from the school I am teaching at now, hard worker. Pitt is beefing him up since he doesn't have the height or wingspan to be a pure pass rusher. He'll be a nice run stuffer and compliment to Romeus who can move inside to UT as needed.

Everything I've heard from the offseason is that Caragein will be a starting DT along with Chas Alecxih. The DE position (which I expect to be Sheard once the school's investigation is completed) will also be manned by Shayne Hale and Brandon Lindsey... and TJ Clemmings if he isn't redshirted.

TACKLE
07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
DG, your boy got out of control.

Not that I'm condoning it, but I must say, that was pretty badass story.

tjsunstein
07-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I took him off the rankings I have. This could definitely put a black eye on his profile.

bce
07-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Theyre going to need another pass rusher, caragien is more of an interior player. They have recruited a few these past years.

we'll have to meet at the getaway cafe someday. you can dine with the legend over buffalo chicken dip with pitas. The best.

phlysac
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Story circulating by mouth around Pittsburgh is that witnesses describe the story MUCH differently. It is being said that Sheard was trying to break up a fight when he was struck in the head with a beer bottle and defended himself. The initial police response was an off-duty officer amongst a crowd of 8-10 people.

Noone is disputing that Sheard engaged in the altercation and that the other individual ended up breaking through a glass door. The other specifics are still quite cloudy.

phlysac
07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Theyre going to need another pass rusher, caragien is more of an interior player. They have recruited a few these past years.

Correct. Caragein will start at DT. The DE's behind Sheard and Romeus are Brandon Lindsey, Shayne Hale, TJ Clemmings (if he isn't redshirted), Nate Nix, and Bernardo Nunez.

Shane P. Hallam
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Story circulating by mouth around Pittsburgh is that witnesses describe the story MUCH differently. It is being said that Sheard was trying to break up a fight when he was struck in the head with a beer bottle and defended himself. The initial police response was an off-duty officer amongst a crowd of 8-10 people.

Noone is disputing that Sheard engaged in the altercation and that the other individual ended up breaking through a glass door. The other specifics are still quite cloudy.

He'll be out 4 games I imagine.

phlysac
07-28-2010, 03:59 PM
He'll be out 4 games I imagine.

Potentially looking like he may not miss any time. Should know within a few days.

Pitt player's prelim postponed
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A preliminary hearing for suspended Pitt defensive end Jabaal Sheard has been postponed to Aug. 4 while prosecutors and his lawyer try to work out a settlement to have the case withdrawn.

Sheard was arrested July 18 after Pittsburgh police broke up a fight between him and another man, Edward Parker, 27, on a South Side street.

Police said Sheard, 21, of Hollywood, Fla., remains free on bond, pending a hearing on charges of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct in connection with the incident outside La Fond Galleries on East Carson Street.

The university suspended Sheard indefinitely from the team, pending resolution of the case.

If the charges are withdrawn, defense attorney William Difinderfer said he will recommend his client be reinstated to the team in time for training camp next week.

After police were called to the scene of the fight, they said Sheard refused to stop fighting. He tossed Parker, of Stanton Heights, through the glass doors of La Fond Galleries, then pounced and began beating his foe about the head and face, police said.

An officer then OC spray on both men to subdue them, and Sheard was handcuffed.

Parker suffered cuts and bruises to his head and face.

Sheard's lawyer said the hearing was postponed until the court could determine the cost of Parker's medical bills and lost wages, which Sheard is expected to pay.

Sheard, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound senior this fall, started all 13 games for Pitt last season, made 42 tackles and led the team in quarterback hurries each of the past two years.http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10209/1075977-100.stm

OaklandRaider56
07-31-2010, 02:29 AM
Why is it I just find this badass? He must have been pissed! To throw a guy through a glass door and continue beating him while taking baton shots to the body by a cop.. I find his aggression interesting.

phlysac
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
As of today, Wednesday, August 4, 2010, Jabaal Sheard has been reinstated to the Pitt football team.

Pitt gridder ordered to pay costs and apologize

Wednesday, August 04, 2010
By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

University of Pittsburgh football player Jabaal Sheard pleaded guilty today to a summary charge of disorderly conduct in connection with a fight on the South Side last month.

District Judge Robert Ravenstahl ordered Mr. Sheard, 21, of Hollywood, Fla., to pay the medical bills of the man he was fighting, pay court costs and apologize to his opponent, Edward Parker, 27, of Stanton Heights.

Police said Mr. Sheard, a defensive end, refused to stop fighting and then hurled Mr. Parker through a glass door even after a police officer hit him repeatedly with his baton.

Mr. Sheard, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound senior, was suspended from the team after the incident. Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said today that Sheard has been reinstated and will be subject to internal team discipline and accountability.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10216/1077555-100.stm

bce
08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
He'll be back. maybe 1 or 2 game suspension. Like always, the media blew it out of proportion, otherwise, theres no way any judge would have allowed him to plead to "disorderly conduct". Guy was probably baiting him and deserved it.

Mr. Offseason
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
1. That was a pretty bad-ass story. Any time you beat some dude while a police officer tries to stop you and you top if off with throwing someone through a glass door you get a thumbs up from me.

2. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt him, but I have hard time believing it won't. NFL teams will wonder why he didn't just stop when the cops got there, and then why he threw the guy through the glass door. It doesn't seem like it was as bad as it sounded initially, but it's not like nothing happened. The way I see it, some teams will likely take him off their board after they interview and talk to him about this, and some won't.

phlysac
08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Wannstedt defends his decision...

Pitt's Wannstedt defends decision to reinstate Sheard

Saturday, August 07, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt on Friday defended his position to reinstate defensive end Jabaal Sheard, who was involved in a fight in July on the South Side.

Sheard pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge, was ordered to pay medical bills for the victim and write a letter of apology to him. Charges of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and criminal mischief were withdrawn by prosecutors.

Sheard, 21, a senior, was suspended from the team when his case was being resolved in the judicial system, but he will not miss any regular season games.

"Hear me loud and clear please," Wannstedt said at the opening of his media day news conference at the UPMC facility on the South Side.

"You all know that we have had players in the past, as every schools does, off the field, on the field, where it hasn't worked out. But my responsibility to the university and these kids is to be consistent and fair with the facts and handle it accordingly. And that's all I have to say about that."

Wannstedt was asked if he received additional information about the case that did not come to light that influenced his decision. He said yes, but did not want to divulge those details.

"I really just don't feel like it would accomplish anything by belaboring the point," he said.

Sheard and Edward Parker of Stanton Heights got into a fight July 18 on East Carson Street. Sheard did not stop fighting when police arrived and tossed Parker through the glass door of La Fond Galleries.

Sheard (6 feet 4, 240 pounds) is entering his third year as a starter. He had 42 tackles, five sacks and a team-high 12 quarterback hurries last season. Sheard and fellow senior end Greg Romeus form the top bookend tandem in the Big East Conference.

Sheard, a native of Hollywood, Fla., said he learned a valuable lesson.

"It was a horrible experience," he said. "I'm happy to be back out here with my team. I'm happy to play football. I've been grateful to play ever since high school. Any day, you can get hurt and it can get taken away from you. I had a couple of injuries [last year]. I got scared then and I didn't think I'd be able to play football anymore. This is a great opportunity to be able to be back out here with my teammates."

Sheard could not be a part of any team activities during his two-week suspension. He worked out in the evenings when the rest of the team went through early morning workouts with strength and conditioning coach Buddy Morris.

"I came in at 5 o'clock in the afternoon and worked out on my own," Sheard said. "I tried to keep up with their workout and probably pushed myself harder because I knew I was away and I had a few extra hours to work harder.

"I missed out on a lot, just the bonding of the team. I missed the fun in the morning. Other than getting up at 6 in the morning, being around them in the morning wakes you up and it's fun."

Training camp begins today and Wannstedt said Sheard will be subject to further disciplinary action, although he did not make public what the discipline would be.

"There have been things, team-wide, and personal recognition-wise, things that he was to take part in and did not," Wannstedt said. "During training camp, he will continue on with the team discipline."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10219/1078381-142.stm

Pitt's Sheard apologizes for incident

By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 7, 2010

Given his ability to maul most people who get in his way, Pitt defensive end Jabaal Sheard may not have many tougher tasks this season than what he had Friday morning.

Wearing glasses and reading from a prepared statement, Sheard apologized for his role in a fight on the South Side and subsequent arrest July 18 in which Edward Parker, 27, of Stanton Heights was thrown through the glass door of an art gallery.

"Last month, I made a huge mistake that reflected poorly upon my school and my family," he said. "I want to sincerely apologize to my coaches and teammates, as well as my family for my actions. I told them I will work hard to gain their respect and be a leader on and off the field."

Later, Sheard joined his teammates on the practice field for Pitt's media activities.

"Talking really isn't my thing," said Sheard, a senior entering his third season as a starter at Pitt. "But I got up and did it. It is something I really wanted to do. I really felt sorry for the situation and wanted to apologize."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_693836.html

draftguru151
11-07-2010, 09:17 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10311/1101413-142.stm

Solid article on Sheard. Thought people would like to see how this situation played out.

wonderbredd24
11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Would love to have him on the Browns