PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of the Day: OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College

Mr. Goosemahn
07-20-2010, 09:30 AM
To see previously discussed prospects, click here.
Jake Locker - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2230943
DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41890
DT Marvin Austin, North Carolilna - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41892
DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41919

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0302/ncf_i_acastonzo1_600.jpg

OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
6'7 - 295 - Senior

Couldn't find highlights :S

Anyway, I think this guy can become the best offensive tackle in the draft, but I just want to see him get up to around 310 or something, 300 is way to thin, IMO, for a 6'7 guy. He could be the best offensive lineman BC's ever had though.

Definitely doesn't fit power-run offenses, but he has the potential of becoming a legit left tackle.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Shhhh he needs to fall to the colts in the draft.

zachsaints52
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
6'7 - 295 - Senior

Couldn't find highlights :S

Anyway, I think this guy can become the best offensive tackle in the draft, but I just want to see him get up to around 310 or something, 300 is way to thin, IMO, for a 6'7 guy. He could be the best offensive lineman BC's ever had though.

Definitely doesn't fit power-run offenses, but he has the potential of becoming a legit left tackle.

So is he a athletic type OT like Clady, just a pure pass blocker like a Charles Brown? You say he doesn't fit power run offenses, so those are the two examples I could thing of.

princefielder28
07-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Castonzo is the only offensive tackle who has Top 5 potential...he needs to bulk up but he has shown great feet and did a great job this past season against Robert Quinn.

Big Bird
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Castonzo is the only offensive tackle who has Top 5 potential...he needs to bulk up but he has shown great feet and did a great job this past season against Robert Quinn.
Agreed. The fact some people think Gabe Carimi is on his level is mind blowing. Carimi is only a Right Tackle at the next level. He has below average feet and has struggled with injuries.

Castonzo, however, held his own against Robert Quinn a la the next coming of DeMarcus Ware. Does he need to improve? Yes. Specifically in strength. But he reminds me a lot of D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Tall, a little light, but with the frame to add-on, nimble on their feet, excellent agility for a big man. He has the tools to be an excellent Pass Protector at the next level.

As of now, Nate Potter is the only other Offensive Tackle worth pegging in the 1st Round. Potter has some special ability. People need to pay more attention to him.

AntoinCD
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
If he bulks up a bit I'd love the Pats to take him next year. Him and Vollmer would be two potentially great OTs to bookend. Like was said he may not be a fit for every scheme though. Im not sure right now though if I see him getting up towards the top 10

RealityCheck
07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Love this guy. Next year's OT class is soooooo underrated...

princefielder28
07-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Love this guy. Next year's OT class is soooooo underrated...

in what ways is it underrated??? the depth in the middle rounds? that's there but the class lacks top of the board talent outside of Castonzo

RealityCheck
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Castonzo, Carimi, Pinkston, Boling, and possible Barksdale, Reynolds, DeChristopher. And some good guys in the mid rounds too.

princefielder28
07-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Castonzo, Carimi, Pinkston, Boling, and possible Barksdale, Reynolds, DeChristopher. And some good guys in the mid rounds too.

Several of those guys are right tackle or moving inside to guard prospects and that's why they're "underrated." Pinkston is the only one out of the group you mentioned, ok maybe Barksdale too, that could possibly be a left tackle in NFL, and the rest's value is knocked down because of their limitations to right tackle or guard.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
So is he a athletic type OT like Clady, just a pure pass blocker like a Charles Brown? You say he doesn't fit power run offenses, so those are the two examples I could thing of.

I think that he resembles Brown more than Clady.

When I talked about a power-run offense, I just instantly think of guys like Flozell Adams, Marvel Smith, Bryant McKinnie, Jake Long too. All big, very strong guys who can hold their own in LT pass-protection and pave highways for RB's.

Don't think Costanzo will ever be there.

Aloysius
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, Castonzo isn't a great drive blocker. In the USC game, he was tremendous blocking on the move but was ineffective in short yardage situations.

In pass pro, he was very good against Everson Griffen & Nick Perry, which made up for his (I think) underwhelming performance against Robert Quinn.

princefielder28
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, Castonzo isn't a great drive blocker. In the USC game, he was tremendous blocking on the move but was ineffective in short yardage situations.

In pass pro, he was very good against Everson Griffen & Nick Perry, which made up for his (I think) underwhelming performance against Robert Quinn.

Underwhelming performance against Quinn??? Castonzo did a wonderful job of keeping Quinn neutralized during that game and I feel that game footage is a big reason why he is so highly touted.

Babylon
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Agreed. The fact some people think Gabe Carimi is on his level is mind blowing. Carimi is only a Right Tackle at the next level. He has below average feet and has struggled with injuries.

Castonzo, however, held his own against Robert Quinn a la the next coming of DeMarcus Ware. Does he need to improve? Yes. Specifically in strength. But he reminds me a lot of D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Tall, a little light, but with the frame to add-on, nimble on their feet, excellent agility for a big man. He has the tools to be an excellent Pass Protector at the next level.

As of now, Nate Potter is the only other Offensive Tackle worth pegging in the 1st Round. Potter has some special ability. People need to pay more attention to him.

Totally disagree on your assessment of Gabe Carimi, to me he looks the more natural LT of the two and maybe a notch below a Joe Thomas. I do like Castonzo better than other BC tackles like Cherilus and Columbo but dont see him as being better than Carimi.

princefielder28
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Totally disagree on your assessment of Gabe Carimi, to me he looks the more natural LT of the two and maybe a notch below a Joe Thomas. I do like Castonzo better than other BC tackles like Cherilus and Columbo but dont see him as being better than Carimi.

Carimi is nothing close to Joe Thomas. You see that in game footage and I have a few buddies on the Bdagers and they have told me that Gabe is a nice guy and solid football player but he isn't a speical football player and probably not the best linemen for the Badgers. He projects as a nice right tackle and can be real good in run blocking, like many Badger linemen.

marshallb
07-20-2010, 01:10 PM

I agree with you somewhat. I see no reason why Carimi can't play LT, but I do think that Costanzo is a more natural LT. That's mostly because I don't think he's a good enough run blocker to play RT, so he's pretty much limited to LT(imo). Carimi is plenty strong enough to play RT but he also has good enough(not great) footwork, quickness, and agility to play LT.

TACKLE
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
The more I watch Castonzo, the more I like him. He is easily the #1 OT in the draft and he'll probably get pushed up in the draft (top 10 with a chance at Top 5) to a LT needy team. He's not a flashy player but is very solid all around and should only improve this season.

Aloysius
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Underwhelming performance against Quinn??? Castonzo did a wonderful job of keeping Quinn neutralized during that game and I feel that game footage is a big reason why he is so highly touted.
I don't think Quinn was "neutralized" in that game. Castonzo's my #1 OT, but I was convinced of that by other games, not his play vs. UNC.

Cigaro
07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I remember watching him all the way back as a freshman when was starting at right tackle at ~260 lbs. He played well, but you could see he was obviously a left tackle, and once Cherilus left, he really proved it.

Don Vito
07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
There is a lot of things to love about Castonzo. He has started since he was a freshman, he has a ton of ability, he is tough, he is a great pass blocker, he is a willing run blocker, and he comes with a school with a great pedigree for linemen. He is better all around then Cherilus ever was and is probably going to be the best BC OL prospect we have seen in a while. He's got top 5 potential for sure, he needs to stay healthy and bulk up a little. Don't let his weight fool you, he can run block and he has strength. I'm a big Castonzo fan.

Babylon
07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
I agree with you somewhat. I see no reason why Carimi can't play LT, but I do think that Costanzo is a more natural LT. That's mostly because I don't think he's a good enough run blocker to play RT, so he's pretty much limited to LT(imo). Carimi is plenty strong enough to play RT but he also has good enough(not great) footwork, quickness, and agility to play LT.

Yeah i just dont see any real seperation there (yet) with guys like Carimi, Costanzo, Potter, Boling............It's a Costanzo thread so more power to him.

bce
07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I want to see how physically strong he is. He looks a little wiry for me right at this point. I like him, i dont know if he can play lt in the nfl though at this point.

LizardState
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Already discussed in another 2010 draft thread. The Castonzo hype is building, already compared with D'Brickashaw but IDK if that's valid.

This class looks like it's Castonzo, then everyone else. He has RT experience & versatility so that's the cherry on top. He's the best pass blocker in the sr. class from a program noted for producing a stead y stream of NFL interior O-linemen, so he's golden.

no bare feet
07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Castonzo is the best all around linemen in this draft. The tackles as a whole are nto that strong, the interior prospects are much stronger.

Aloysius
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Here's another clip of the BC OT:

Anthony Castonzo vs. Florida State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmYawhLgP8)

Aloysius
07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod is another guy who could end up being part of the 1st round conversation. He's not a mauler or a freakish athlete, but he does a nice job locking out in pass protection.

I like him better than Gabe Carimi (who struggled in '09) and Jason Pinkston (who could end up moving to OG).

Don Vito
07-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Sherrod sucks, he is overrated. He has some games where he is decent and others where he gets manhandled. Granted I am an Ole Miss fan but watch him this year and see for yourself

Aloysius
07-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Ha. The Ole Miss game was the worst of the games I watched; Kentrell Lockett got a sack when Sherrod overextended on one play.

But he was solid in the other games I watched. Good in pass pro, but he needs to become a better run blocker.

dannyz
07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
The OT Class is bad this Year. Maybe Two First Rounders, The Lions should take Patrick Peterson and then Barksdale.

Babylon
07-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Here's another clip of the BC OT:

Anthony Castonzo vs. Florida State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmYawhLgP8)

Gotta be honest didnt see a lot of explosion there. Footwork looked good, that's about it.

dannyz
07-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I rewatched the UNC Game and I will say Robert Quinn beat him a good three times. One of those time Quinn did not make the play but he did beat Castonzo. One on One Castonzo beat him but when they doubled teamed Quinn he got through it, It's funny he can beat two guys but not one.

Hograiser
07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
nate solder is anther left tackle to keep an eye on. he is very raw but has more talent and ability than any other tackle in this class. the ot position is very deap this year but the talent on the top end is just not there compared to previous years.

bce
07-24-2010, 09:23 PM
The junior from boise state may actaully be the best prospect i think. I like costanzo, i like solder, i want to see more.

bce
07-24-2010, 09:24 PM
I rewatched the UNC Game and I will say Robert Quinn beat him a good three times. One of those time Quinn did not make the play but he did beat Castonzo. One on One Castonzo beat him but when they doubled teamed Quinn he got through it, It's funny he can beat two guys but not one.

Three times out of how many plays. Thats not good. For robert quinn. Good for costanzo, i just dont know if ive seen elite lt pedigree yet. he looks a little thin.

dannyz
07-25-2010, 12:18 AM
I think when Quinn goes to the Combine he will blow it up. Quinn is not like other Physical Freaks who just have Hype on their Physical Talent but he has Production in College too. I also think Nate Potter is good aswell.

Babylon
07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Just a hunch but i'd say Clint Boling will be the best of this years tackles. The level of competition he faces in the SEC is far superior to anything else out there.

Sniper
07-25-2010, 12:33 PM
The level of competition he faces in the SEC is far superior to anything else out there.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2dkyav8.jpg

Pass rushers that, say, Gabe Carimi has faced.

Brandon Graham, Adrian Clayborn, Cam Heyward, Jack Crawford, Thad Gibson, Ryan Kerrigan, Aaron Maybin, Corey Wootton, etc...

Think before you speak. I swear, it works wonders. I know that ESPN's done a great job of convincing you that the worst SEC team could take out a team of NFL All-Pros, but really, they can't.

wonderbredd24
07-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Just a hunch but i'd say Clint Boling will be the best of this years tackles. The level of competition he faces in the SEC is far superior to anything else out there.

SEC ends seem to be having a substantial amount of difficulty making the adjustment to the NFL.

The SEC has the best DTackles in the country, so guards and centers face the highest level of competition, but their ends are mostly a product of their tackles.

the Big Ten has a rich tradition of producing linemen on both sides of the ball.

Aloysius
07-25-2010, 11:15 PM
If you want to talk about (marginal) level of competition, check out Boston College's schedule (http://espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=103). With UNC off the schedule this year, the only scary competition Castonzo will face is Clemson's Da'Quan Bowers...who only notched 3 sacks last year.

Castonzo very well could go the entire season without giving up a sack.

dannyz
07-25-2010, 11:40 PM
That could help him or hurt him. He may not give up a sack but he also did not have really any Competition either.

prock
07-26-2010, 12:29 AM
That could help him or hurt him. He may not give up a sack but he also did not have really any Competition either.

Wait, not giving up a sack could hurt him? If that isn't the most ******** thing I have heard in awhile....

dannyz
07-26-2010, 01:36 AM
If he is only going against one good DE that will hurt him.

prock
07-26-2010, 10:55 AM
If he is only going against one good DE that will hurt him.

It won't hurt him at all. It may not help him, but there is no chance that giving up zero sacks will hurt him. That is illogical.

Babylon
07-26-2010, 04:20 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/2dkyav8.jpg

Pass rushers that, say, Gabe Carimi has faced.

Brandon Graham, Adrian Clayborn, Cam Heyward, Jack Crawford, Thad Gibson, Ryan Kerrigan, Aaron Maybin, Corey Wootton, etc...

Think before you speak. I swear, it works wonders. I know that ESPN's done a great job of convincing you that the worst SEC team could take out a team of NFL All-Pros, but really, they can't.

Negative rep for saying i thought the SEC with Bama, Fla. Tenn. and LSU had better defensive ends. Wow! I do like Carimi by the way so i'll agree to your assesment of him.

Sniper
07-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Negative rep for saying i thought the SEC with Bama, Fla. Tenn. and LSU had better defensive ends. Wow! I do like Carimi by the way so i'll agree to your assesment of him.

I fail to see how the team having a better all-around defense made Carlos Dunlap a better player than Brandon Graham. I fail to see how the fact that Janoris Jenkins and Joe Haden were better than Devon Torrence and Chimdi Chekwa makes Jermaine Cunningham a better player than Cam Heyward.

Babylon
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I fail to see how the team having a better all-around defense made Carlos Dunlap a better player than Brandon Graham. I fail to see how the fact that Janoris Jenkins and Joe Haden were better than Devon Torrence and Chimdi Chekwa makes Jermaine Cunningham a better player than Cam Heyward.

First off it's opinion, i thought that was implied. And you're right the team per se has nothing to do with the subject matter but it so happens that those teams had top caliber DEs like Derrick Morgan, Carlos Dunlap and Darius or Alabama although to be fair the Dogs didnt play Bama this past year.

Aloysius
07-26-2010, 05:55 PM
It won't hurt him at all. It may not help him, but there is no chance that giving up zero sacks will hurt him.
What it could do is magnify the importance of his Senior Bowl week, where he'll face stiffer competition.

Sniper
07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
First off it's opinion, i thought that was implied. And you're right the team per se has nothing to do with the subject matter but it so happens that those teams had top caliber DEs like Derrick Morgan, Carlos Dunlap and Darius or Alabama although to be fair the Dogs didnt play Bama this past year.

First of all, Carlos Dunlap is ****.

Brandon Graham + Adrian Clayborn + Cam Heyward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Derrick Morgan + Carlos Dunlap + Marcel Dareus.

prock
07-26-2010, 10:41 PM
What it could do is magnify the importance of his Senior Bowl week, where he'll face stiffer competition.

Still wondering how giving up zero sacks will hurt him...

dannyz
07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
It should be easy for him not to give up a sack when no one is giving him a challenge. It would really help him if he played good DE's

Aloysius
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Still wondering how giving up zero sacks will hurt him...
I wasn't implying that it would hurt him, just that a bad Sr Bowl week would do more damage to a guy who hadn't played against elite competition.

prock
07-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I wasn't implying that it would hurt him, just that a bad Sr Bowl week would do more damage to a guy who hadn't played against elite competition.

Yeah, but dannyz said it would hurt him, and I am still waiting for an answer.

dannyz
07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I gave you one. I mean if you are playing against 6-7 Rounders compaired to 1-2 rounders it's different. How will these guy's prepare him for Jared Allen,Mario Williams,Demarcus Ware? It's not like he is playing Heyward,Quinn,Dareus,Crick,Romeus.

prock
07-28-2010, 12:55 AM
I gave you one. I mean if you are playing against 6-7 Rounders compaired to 1-2 rounders it's different. How will these guy's prepare him for Jared Allen,Mario Williams,Demarcus Ware? It's not like he is playing Heyward,Quinn,Dareus,Crick,Romeus.

It isn't going to benefit him going against lower competition, but you are telling me that having a perfect season and giving up zero sacks will hurt him, meaning that giving up sacks would be better.