PDA

View Full Version : NCAA investigating every sports program from every school past present and future?

Crickett
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
It's starting to seem that way.

You can add Alabama to the list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5396236

Mr. Goosemahn
07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
This is starting to get ridiculous. NCAA needs to update their rules or something, or players need to understand them.

And why aren't the people offering the money/perks getting penalized? They're the ones that are actually starting all of this in the first place.

Sniper
07-20-2010, 05:28 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

Who's next?

Sniper
07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
This is starting to get ridiculous. NCAA needs to update their rules or something, or players need to understand them.

It's not that ******* hard to understand. No talking to agents or receiving any kind of benefits while you're still a college athlete. It really isn't that difficult. The NCAA WILL find out and they WILL be douchebags about it.

nrk
07-20-2010, 05:42 PM
It's not that ******* hard to understand. No talking to agents or receiving any kind of benefits while you're still a college athlete. It really isn't that difficult. The NCAA WILL find out and they WILL be douchebags about it.

No one ever thinks they're going to get caught though, so they take the gifts.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
But it's the agents who should be penalized heavily though. I mean, yeah, follow the rules or something for the athletes, but if you're a guy who's been working his ass off for many years and have struggled financially all your life, and this guy comes and tells you that he'll give you money or cars or **** like that, and you won't get caught, and even if you are caught nothing will happen to you if you're in the NFL, you'll take the gift.

The agents should be penalized by the NFL. No salary for a year or something, make it really hurt.

RealityCheck
07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Congratulations NCAA. You're officially paranoid.

P-L
07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
The agents should be penalized by the NFL. No salary for a year or something, make it really hurt.
Agents do not get paid by the NFL.

Sniper
07-20-2010, 06:13 PM

They need to stop only going after the little guys. Sack up and go after some BCS contenders.

RealityCheck
07-20-2010, 06:15 PM
They need to stop only going after the little guys. Sack up and go after some BCS contenders.
Sure. I don't know why they don't go after Western Kentucky...

Sniper
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Sure. I don't know why they don't go after Western Kentucky...

Or Michi...ah, ****.

brat316
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Look at UF. SEC ahhahaha.

brat316
07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
But it's the agents who should be penalized heavily though. I mean, yeah, follow the rules or something for the athletes, but if you're a guy who's been working his ass off for many years and have struggled financially all your life, and this guy comes and tells you that he'll give you money or cars or **** like that, and you won't get caught, and even if you are caught nothing will happen to you if you're in the NFL, you'll take the gift.

How is the agent going to be peanlized by the NCAA?

If you are that guy who has been working his ass off, shouldn't u know better? You are just as guilty as the agent. And then also the coaches and AD who find out about it and do nothing. I mean come on, one of you players all of a sudden has a car or is making trip to Miami. When you know they can't afford it.

Yeah the agent is a bad man, but your the one breaking the rules by accepting the gifts.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-20-2010, 06:45 PM
How is the agent going to be peanlized by the NCAA?

If you are that guy who has been working his ass off, shouldn't u know better? You are just as guilty as the agent. And then also the coaches and AD who find out about it and do nothing. I mean come on, one of you players all of a sudden has a car or is making trip to Miami. When you know they can't afford it.

Yeah the agent is a bad man, but your the one breaking the rules by accepting the gifts.

True. I dunno, it's just that most of these guys have horrible judgment and these gifts are simply too much for them to reject, so I believe there should be an alternate way of preventing these things from happening. Who knows how they'd do it though.

LizardState
07-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Did you see Saban's response? Pretty bold move, "take the schools off the hook." He said it's time to discuss banning the NFL from the campuses to keep the agents away.

Saban feels very strongly about his player contacted by agents. Remember Andre Smith, the Outland winner who admitted agent contact & was thrown off the team before their Sugar Bowl game ? That was the Tide's last loss, Utah got 7-8 sacks, mostly through Smith's OLT position.

Spurrier said they "can't keep the agents away," & he may be right. Lock them up in the ape dorms at sundown? Put electronic ankle sensors on them, IDK.

Whoever held that party in Florida where Austin was with the leading d-linemen in the nation, allegedly paid for their transportation, meals etc. s/b locked up though

brat316
07-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Banning the NFL from campuses is not going to keep the agents away. They still are going to know who the big players are and that they need to sign them.

Getting rid of the NFL will get rid of agents, but no one wants that.

You're right you can't avoid players from coming in contact with the agents, but you gotta make sure they know not to take these gifts from them.

LizardState
07-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Told you he felt very strongly about agents contacting players.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/07/nick-saban-alabama-agents-pimps/1

You could tell from the speech he made at SEC Media Day in Birmingham that he is pissed.

He wants some kind of punitive action taken against these agents, their runners/intermediaries & the NFL.

ESPN reported that the NFLPA is taking "an aggressive approach" to punishing the agents who contact players under scholarship, citing the huge guaranteed $ going to top draft picks & "pure greed" motivating them to get in 1st with a player who is projected to go top 10.

Even more appalling are the means they use, like the "runners," or agent go-betweens who have ties to high profile college programs, some of them are boosters & others, some shockingly pastors & parents. I should surprise no one that maybe some bribe $ going to grad assts. for players secret cell nos. is happening too. And the use of prepaid cell accts, offshore & anonymous accts, etc. smacks of criminal activity.

And criminal was the operative word used by the NFLPA Executive Director when he commented on this on ESPN radio yesterday. With the NFLPA, NCAA & the college coaches all calling for new regulations I think it's going to be forthcoming before the season starts.

descendency
07-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Is it paranoid if you are actually being followed?

Banning the NFL from campuses is not going to keep the agents away. They still are going to know who the big players are and that they need to sign them.

It will get the NFLPA and NFL Owners to do something about the agent problem though.

BRAVEHEART
07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
These teams are cheating, bunch of cheaters.

jballa838
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
serious note. From what I've experienced, it is schools from your conference/area that tip off the NCAA, anonymously. Most of the time, but sometimes coaches find out who it was. Totally sucked because the NCAA is WAY more lenient when it comes to some things compared to others.

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Should be legal to get gifts anyway.

Sniper
08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Should be legal to get gifts anyway.

Wow, an SEC fan saying rules shouldn't be followed. I've never seen this before.

Scotty D
08-06-2010, 05:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5440231

West Virginia accused of five major football violations

iowatreat54
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I love this. The NCAA has been awesome in the past 6 months. It's about time they started investigating and calling out schools, even for dumb ****.

And yes if Iowa was investigated and doing something wrong, I'd be pissed but at the team not the NCAA.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, an SEC fan saying rules shouldn't be followed. I've never seen this before.

Did you even read what I said? I didn't say the rule shouldn't be followed, I said it shouldn't be a rule. If you want to try and take a shot at something, at least learn some reading comprehension.

You're partially right though, if they start taking the good players off of the SEC teams, you know, the guys that agents actually give stuff too, the joke conferences like the big 10 might actually mean something in the grand scheme of things.

I know you just wanted to take a dig at the SEC, but my favorite college team isn't even in the SEC, but it's still funny to me how much the other conferences suck in comparison, and how much it pisses people off.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Did you even read what I said? I didn't say the rule shouldn't be followed, I said it shouldn't be a rule. If you want to try and take a shot at something, at least learn some reading comprehension.

I did. It's an SEC fan bitching about rules and whether they should or should not exist. Yes, it should be a rule. If you want gifts and cash, become good enough to play pro ball. Otherwise, you're an amateur and should be treated as one.

TitanHope
08-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Everytime Sniper takes a potshot against the SEC, a backwoods 'neck from the south gets it's wings.

That or dies in a methlab explosion. Can't really remember how that ones goes...

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
He's just mad yo.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Everytime Sniper takes a potshot against the SEC, a backwoods 'neck from the south gets it's wings.

That or dies in a methlab explosion. Can't really remember how that ones goes...

It's actually "learns to spell". Aren't you the one who's in the journalism field?

S-T's point still lacks merit. There's a reason collegiate athletes are considered "amateurs". They don't deserve cash or gifts. You should have to wait until you're a pro.

TitanHope
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
It's actually "learns to spell." Aren't you the one who's in the journalism field?

Ooooh, burn.

S-T's point still lacks merit. There's a reason collegiate athletes are considered "amateurs." They don't deserve cash or gifts. You should have to wait until you're a pro.

I never challenged that, and I disagree with S-T's point too. Only made a joke about how you never pass on an opportunity to make a sarcastic remark about the SEC.

Oh, by the way, I fixed your quotes for you. Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks, smart ass (save for a few instances, which I'm sure you know all about). In the future, it'd be convenient for you to make sure your own writing is absolutely accurate before you call out someone for theirs. May I ask what your major is?

Sniper
08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh, by the way, I fixed your quotes for you. Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks, smart ass (save for a few instances, which I'm sure you know all about). In the future, it'd be convenient for you to make sure your own writing is absolutely accurate before you call out someone for theirs.

I'll be sure to aspire to be on your level. Not all of us can make three mistakes in such a short span.

May I ask what your major is?

Spanish.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/impermissible-texts-by-miami-catches-ncaas-attention/

According to the Miami Herald, several sports at the university are being investigated by the NCAA for coaches sending recruiting-related text messages not permitted under the governing body's bylaws. Obviously, the football program is one of the sports under investigation.

The Herald writes that, while the alleged impermissible texts would normally be classified as secondary violations, they could collectively be considered a major violation. Fortunately for the Hurricanes athletic department, the school self-reported the violations upon become aware of the texts.

Continued...

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I dunno, if some sports store wants to give a kid a throwback jersey because they think he's awesome, that's on them.

Doesn't hurt anyone when kids take gifts, most of them are broke anyway.

It's not like they have the choice of college or pro ball, they are forced into it and then can't have anyone give them anything.

iowatreat54
08-06-2010, 06:49 PM
How much wealth a player comes from has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they should get paid or be able to receive gifts. That is always the most absurd argument everytime this conversation takes place.

PLEASE EVERYONE: Stop bringing up kids being poor as a reason players should get things.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 06:55 PM
most of them are broke anyway.

They're getting a free ride which includes a meal plan. I think they'll survive.

iowatreat54
08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
They're getting a free ride which includes a meal plan. I think they'll survive.

Not to mention spending money and often times not hard jobs during the summer. It's not like these kids are broke and have no clothes on their back, nowhere to sleep, and nothing to eat. Hell, they probably even have a decent amount of spending money. Even if not, just because they can't go out and buy brand new shoes every month or get the newest ipod doesn't mean they are at a disadvantage financially and it should be made up for because they play football. It means they are a normal ******* person who can't buy everything they want.

TitanHope
08-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I'll be sure to aspire to be on your level. Not all of us can make three mistakes in such a short span.

Awe, it's ok man. I'll go ahead and concede my spot on the throne to you. This issue is obviously more important to you anyway, despite your apparent inability to use punctuation properly. (If you ever need a support partner to talk about your inability to properly use 9th grade grammar, you can talk with me. I understand what you're going through. I friggin' invented a compound word! I didn't use a default masculine pronoun, and the usage was oh so wrong! I...I got caught up in the moment, and my ring finger accident...accidenta...IT ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE "S" KEY!!! We're sick, Sniper! We need help!) Meanwhile, I'll continue to make posts with mistakes in them. Just promise me that the next time you try to use it as a comeback (to a joke about southerners, no less), please do it competantly. I mean, people will still be rolling their eyes after reading it, but at least they won't be laughing at the irony.

Sidebar: I always thought that song said, "Get on my lever!" I just thought it was a sexual reference or something. But I figured it out eventually I did! Just thought I'd share.

But anyway, it may be my pain meds talking but I'm tired of mocking each other, so here's my olive branch!

http://www.rollingstone.com/files/content/mounts/sambamount/images/MUSIC/ISSUE%20CONTENT/1111/katy_perry_beads.jpg

Katy Perry's boobs heal all wounds, but if ya want last word, you can have dibsies.

PLEASE EVERYONE: Stop bringing up kids being poor as a reason players should get things.

The whole wealth and the society they're coming from bugs me because it's a lame excuse, but also the "kids" label people give them. These guys are 18, 19, and 21-year-old adults who are educated on the rules.

I mean, it's not like these kids were born yesterday and all of the sudden they're thrusted into college life and temptation. And if they're so simple minded that it's too much for them to follow the rules, then they should probably be wearing their helmets to class and around campus as well so they don't hurt themselves.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/files/content/mounts/sambamount/images/MUSIC/ISSUE%20CONTENT/1111/katy_perry_beads.jpg

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 08:57 PM
It's a free ******* country, why are they exempt from someone giving them money because they play football? Because the NCAA says so.

NCAA is Nazi.

You're right, they'll be fine if people don't give them stuff. Everyone else will be fine if they do give them stuff though.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 09:27 PM
It's a free ******* country, why are they exempt from someone giving them money because they play football? Because the NCAA says so.

The NCAA is the governing body for amateur collegiate sports. They can make their own rules. If you take gifts, it makes you a professional and nullifies your amateur status. Don't like it? Don't accept the scholarship. No one's forcing you.

NCAA is Nazi.

A tad bit of strong hyperbole here. I'm sure murdering thousands of people and giving people free educations aren't exactly in the same realm.

You're right, they'll be fine if people don't give them stuff. Everyone else will be fine if they do give them stuff though.

An average OOS LSU player (I'm using LSU because I know you're a fan) costs the school about $25K per year (that's a low estimate) after everything's been factored in. That's low for a BCS school when you factor in that OOS tuition alone at Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford, USC, and others can outweigh the $25K. Factor in food, the use of trainers, the use of the gym just for the team that most, if not all, teams have, and you're tallying up one hell of a bill. All in all, I don't think it's that far-fetched to estimate that the average BCS player costs a school north of $125K over a four-year career. Gee, how will these kids ever survive with this neo-Nazi regime governing their lives?

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Aww man, I'm sure these big schools are just bleeding out money with all the money that goes into student athletes =/

We should arrest people that give celebrities free stuff too, it's not fair to us normal guys that have to buy our own bottles of grey goose.

iowatreat54
08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Aww man, I'm sure these big schools are just bleeding out money with all the money that goes into student athletes =/

We should arrest people that give celebrities free stuff too, it's not fair to us normal guys that have to buy our own bottles of grey goose.

Haha you do realize probably over 75% of athletic programs lose money?

And your 2nd point is so hilariously awful it's not even worth shooting down. Please, make more arguments like this. It's really helping your credibility.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't know the exact rule, but what about for birthday or Christmas? Say you've been friends with an agent for a long time (for whatever reason) and they give you some money for your birthday, is that punishable?

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Haha you do realize probably over 75% of athletic programs lose money?

And your 2nd point is so hilariously awful it's not even worth shooting down. Please, make more arguments like this. It's really helping your credibility.

So you're saying these schools lose money by giving full rides and meal plans to football players?

wicket
08-07-2010, 01:14 PM
So you're saying these schools lose money by giving full rides and meal plans to football players?

no he is saying that the costs involved outweigh the revenues generated by the sports program

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Cal for example is $19 million in the hole each year

Few football programs make money

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
So all these schools are running football teams out there out of the goodness of their heart?

Either way, the NCAA is making a fortune off of these guys and is angry when someone gets more than they deem necessary for them. If you want to start cracking on guys for wanting nice things, don't take the boatloads of money you are making and horde it to yourself and pretend the scholarship you gave a player is anywhere near hurting the bottom line.

NCAA football is a freaking cash cow, give me a break.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
So all these schools are running football teams out there out of the goodness of their heart?

Everyone hopes to make money like the Ohio States and Texas's of the world, but very few do.

If profit was the measure of why schools provide sports, the only sports that would exist would be basketball and football as they are the only revenue sports and there would be very few football teams.

Shane P. Hallam
08-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Most football programs DO make money, plenty of it. It is the other sports that don't and thus need that money.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Most football programs DO make money, plenty of it. It is the other sports that don't and thus need that money.

You'd be amazed how many football programs are in the red

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2010103078_ncaa21.html

Of the 119 FBS football teams, 68 (57.1 percent) finished the year in the black.

Of the 119 FBS schools playing men's basketball, 67 teams made a profit. One of those same 119 schools made money in women's basketball in 2008.

FBS football teams recorded a median net profit of $1.95 million. Men's basketball at the same schools produced a median profit of $518,000. No other sport at the FBS schools, measured by median values, showed a program in the black.

iowatreat54
08-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Either way, the NCAA is making a fortune off of these guys and is angry when someone gets more than they deem necessary for them. If you want to start cracking on guys for wanting nice things, don't take the boatloads of money you are making and horde it to yourself and pretend the scholarship you gave a player is anywhere near hurting the bottom line.

NCAA football is a freaking cash cow, give me a break.

That is a terrible example. One is a singular person, the other is a business that tries to make money so that it puts it back into the business of providing kids with a sport to play, which allows them to go to school for free.

No one is saying players can't have nice things. What people are saying is that they can't be given nice things for free, and they aren't going to be given ridiculous amounts of money in addition to all their benefits just so that they can buy nice cars and new things that they don't need. That's the point. We aren't talking about disallowing players from essential needs, or even the smallest of luxuries; those types of things they more than likely have or can get. What is being talked about is preventing players from being able to easily get luxurious items that are just incredibly nice to have and aren't even close to necessities.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I actually think that players should be allowed to get stuff, at least to help their families. Sure, they themselves have a meal plan, but what about their mother and siblings?

But this has nothing to do with that, because I'm actually glad that if the NCAA is going to have these rules, that they're also gonna actually enforce them. The title is right, they're coming down on a lot of programs lately, which is good IMO. Especially with the USC situation, they showed that the rules are there, and like them are not, if you don't follow them you're ******.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I actually think that players should be allowed to get stuff, at least to help their families. Sure, they themselves have a meal plan, but what about their mother and siblings?

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

No, no it's not. I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes. I'm saying that if I'm coming from a poor family where my mother is holding two jobs to support my brothers and sisters while I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny, if an agent offers to help my family out, I'm not saying no. Meal plans and free books won't pay my mom's light bill.

Again though, my main gripe with the rules isn't the rules, it was the lack of consistency. As long as they're gonna be consistent, I really have no complaints with the rules.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
No, no it's not. I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes. I'm saying that if I'm coming from a poor family where my mother is holding two jobs to support my brothers and sisters while I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny, if an agent offers to help my family out, I'm not saying no. Meal plans and free books won't pay my mom's light bill.

boo ******* hoo.

At what point do the hand outs end?

These kids get free college, the equivalent of personal trainers, the best facilities, training, and nutrition money can buy, top notch doctors, both MD's and PhD's as well as free healthcare. And they get all kinds of free stuff from the sponsoring athletic company so they never need to buy clothes either.

All anyone focuses on is how much college and books cost, but all that other **** isn't free either. Price that out on the free market. It adds up.

And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.

They play ******* sports and to get free college and everything else to play a damn game. When is enough enough?

08-07-2010, 09:48 PM
And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.

I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes.

Sounds like you could have used moar college.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny

Then who are these old men they are making the millions for and how exactly are they not seeing a penny?

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I just don't like the idea that they can tell people what they can or cannot give to someone.

Even if you are going to pay them, it's ridiculous. Any other student won't lose a scholarship if someone gives him a gift. It's just stupid, what purpose does it even serve?

If I'm a millionaire and I decide to give two students 20,000 dollars because I feel like it, one of them gets to keep it because he doesn't play football? WTF is that?

It's not like I'm saying the players should be allowed to smuggle drugs.

draftguru151
08-07-2010, 10:02 PM
The whole point of the rules is to try and keep things on an even level. Imagine if Texas/OSU/etc could pay their athletes what they wanted, or have people pay those players, they would destroy in recruiting even more than they do now. Certain schools already have an major advantage over others for stuff not dealing with athletics, there is no way college football would work if money was one of those things.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I just don't like the idea that they can tell people what they can or cannot give to someone.

Even if you are going to pay them, it's ridiculous. Any other student won't lose a scholarship if someone gives him a gift. It's just stupid, what purpose does it even serve?

If I'm a millionaire and I decide to give two students 20,000 dollars because I feel like it, one of them gets to keep it because he doesn't play football? WTF is that?

It's not like I'm saying the players should be allowed to smuggle drugs.
So let's make college football Major League Baseball where the schools with the most and biggest donors/boosters will dominate the sport. Awesome.

LSU might as well fold up shop because they have no chance competing against teams like Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma State with the type of money they can pay. Nike will be in a position to bankroll Oregon into a dominant power. T. Boone Pickens is a frickin billionaire and a huge Okie State fan as the stadium has his name on it as he put the money forth to build it.

08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Then who are these old men they are making the millions for and how exactly are they not seeing a penny?

They aren't seeing a penny because they aren't getting anything they can use to buy something. The electric company doesn't accept textbooks or cafeteria food.

And the old men making millions are the guys at the big schools. That was who I was talking about in my example. If they could get gifts from agents, obviously not everyone would get equal, which, as has been mentioned by most, is the roadblock that prevents college athletes from getting paid. My friend at Utah State going into his rFr year isn't gonna attract any agents anytime soon, but a guy like Julio Jones might. A guy like Terrelle Pryor might. It's 100% merit based, and not a communal sharing. If an agent wants to do that, and the player is fine with it, personally, I have zero objections.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 10:10 PM
They aren't seeing a penny because they aren't getting anything they can use to buy something. The electric company doesn't accept textbooks or cafeteria food.

And the old men making millions are the guys at the big schools. That was who I was talking about in my example. If they could get gifts from agents, obviously not everyone would get equal, which, as has been mentioned by most, is the roadblock that prevents college athletes from getting paid. My friend at Utah State going into his rFr year isn't gonna attract any agents anytime soon, but a guy like Julio Jones might. A guy like Terrelle Pryor might. It's 100% merit based, and not a communal sharing. If an agent wants to do that, and the player is fine with it, personally, I have zero objections.
You do realize these kids get an allowance, right? Straight cash, homey.

08-07-2010, 10:15 PM

I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link I could see, just to check that out?

iowatreat54
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Not to mention they get housing. If a player chooses to live off campus, it's his own choice and he then has to pay for rent, electric, cable, etc. The school gives all players housing, but if they choose they don't want it then that's their own problem. And in many cases, the school gets them "off campus" housing.

And yes, kids do get allowances. Like I said earlier, they aren't going to be enough to get ridiculously nice things, but it's not like kids aren't able to live comfortably. These arguments need to stop making it seem like kids are scraping by and barely surviving without getting paid.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link I could see, just to check that out?

No, unfortunately I do not. All I can tell you is I've had this discussion with University of Akron football players and athletes from other sports. The Akron Football team is paid monthly and the amount differs depending on whether you stay in the dorm or not.

Other sports like girl's basketball is paid out every two weeks. Every sport structures it differently depending on how they feel like broaching the subject.

Kids also receive a per diem on the road, although with football players, this does not come up as football coaches take total control and kids are not on the road long at all, but with a sport like baseball or basketball, they get like $10 or $20 per day for food on the road and there is some flexibility in there for coaches to sort of take control of it and make it a team meal so the school is charged and the kids just keep the money, but I'm not sure on the rules how that goes as far as the NCAA is concerned... I'm sure it's bent though.

Anyway, the amount of money paid out on a month is somewhere between $1,000-$1,500 per month. Most athletes I've talked to don't think they need to be paid necessarily... they just want an increase in that allowance.

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
So let's make college football Major League Baseball where the schools with the most and biggest donors/boosters will dominate the sport. Awesome.

LSU might as well fold up shop because they have no chance competing against teams like Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma State with the type of money they can pay. Nike will be in a position to bankroll Oregon into a dominant power. T. Boone Pickens is a frickin billionaire and a huge Okie State fan as the stadium has his name on it as he put the money forth to build it.

Hey, if some company can offer me lucrative deals and wants to set me up for life to lend my talents to them, they should be able to, and I should be able to accept.

This.

nrk
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Since when is the majority "very few"?

iowatreat54
08-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Since when is the majority "very few"?

I think he meant make profit when he said bring in big money. Only a small number football programs turn a profit, and even fewer athletic programs overall do.

nrk
08-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I think he meant make profit when he said bring in big money. Only a small number football programs turn a profit, and even fewer athletic programs overall do.

Oh, I guess I didn't notice "big" before money. My bad. However, he posted that almost 60% of teams turn profit. That is still the majority. Pretty much all BCS conference teams make profit

Saints-Tigers
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I can hear the fairness argument, but it's a lot less fair that these kids CANT have money.

The NCAA doesnt want to pay the athletes, but they also don't want others to pay them. Kinda not fair either.

CashmoneyDrew
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Throw UT's name into the hat. Football and basketball.

TitanHope
09-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Throw UT's name into the hat. Football and basketball.

Bruce Pearl says he misled NCAA - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5554682)

Damn...