PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many people picking Dallas?

J-Mike88
07-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Is this more NFC East overrated hype, or America's Team hype?

The Packers totally shut down the Cowboys and Miles Austin last season, shutting them out until the final few minutes.
The Vikings kicked their arses in the playoff blowout, yet I see quite a few pundits picking the Cowboys to go to the Super Bowl.

Can anyone here explain to me how/who/what makes the Cowboys all of a sudden leapfrog the Vikings and Packers?
The addition of Dezzy B? The subtraction of Flo-Z?

BlindSite
07-22-2010, 07:28 AM
I personally don't think they've leapfrogged either, but I think they're the best in the east. Their offense is going to be ridiculous and their defense will keep them in games.

bigbluedefense
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
I think the injury bug hits Dallas this year. I have no basis for that, it's just a hunch of mine. They had no player go on IR last year. Law of averages has to strike right?

That being said, the fate of their offense lies in Doug Free, and their defense rests on those safeties. I don't feel good about those safeties. The talent is clearly there to make a SB run though.

Joecool
07-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Tony Romo was hot at the end of the year. I like dallas but i dont see them in the super bowl at all. No way they get a home super bowl. Its gonna be the Giants vs Dolphins

umphrey
07-22-2010, 08:39 AM
On offense, the sum of their parts might be one of the best in the league, but personally I don't believe in the offensive line or Doug Free and Romo might have problems playing behind the worst offensive line in his career (I think?). Still good enough to put points on the board though, like I said they have some of the best pieces in the league. I like the defense more than most with a strong front 7 mostly and some ball hawks in the secondary.

They could take the NFC, but they need things to go right for them. Power ranking I'd put them in the 5-8 range probably. Maybe some of their core players have peaked and might slow down with age. Maybe some of the talented young skill positions will have big impacts. We'll see.

Also Wade Phillips is a bad coach and bad coaches don't win many playoff games.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I think they are the best team in the East. But if our defense can get it's head out of it's buttock, with this new DC we have. Then I think we can easily contend with them, if not take the NFC East crown outright. What has plagued us since Coughlin got the job are coordinators..

Since 2004:

HC: Coughlin
OC: Hufagel, Gilbride
DC: Lewis, Spags, Sheridan, and now Fewell

If this defense can actually be avg. Then I have no doubt we can do some good things this year. If this defense is above avg- good, then I have no doubt we can win our division, assuming we dont have injuries like last year.

It comes down to this new DC and if he is good or not.

Joecool
07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
On offense, the sum of their parts might be one of the best in the league, but personally I don't believe in the offensive line or Doug Free and Romo might have problems playing behind the worst offensive line in his career (I think?). Still good enough to put points on the board though, like I said they have some of the best pieces in the league. I like the defense more than most with a strong front 7 mostly and some ball hawks in the secondary.

They could take the NFC, but they need things to go right for them. Power ranking I'd put them in the 5-8 range probably. Maybe some of their core players have peaked and might slow down with age. Maybe some of the talented young skill positions will have big impacts. We'll see.

Also Wade Phillips is a bad coach and bad coaches don't win many playoff games.

i agree i dont like phillips they need a ***** like jon gruden in there

tjsunstein
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Because they're always overhyped.

Shane P. Hallam
07-22-2010, 09:14 AM

The Packers totally shut down the Cowboys and Miles Austin last season, shutting them out until the final few minutes.
The Vikings kicked their arses in the playoff blowout, yet I see quite a few pundits picking the Cowboys to go to the Super Bowl.

Can anyone here explain to me how/who/what makes the Cowboys all of a sudden leapfrog the Vikings and Packers?

It's a new year with new personnel. Looking at last year's losses aren't a good indication of how good THIS team will be.

Why are people picking Dallas? They are a strong team that has a solid core of players on both sides of the ball. Tony Romo has improved each year, they have three strong RBs with an O-line built for that style, and with Miles Austin emerging as a true #1 (and toss in the exceptionally talented Dez Bryant,) you have a recipe for success.

On the defensive side of the ball, they will remain one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL with a solid front 7 built for their 3-4 style of play. Secondary has continued to improve, and though there are still weak points, every team has those.

The issues among the O-line and secondary could hold them back a bit, but it isn't crazy to buy into Dallas. I think they win the division, but lose in the playoffs to a team like the Packers.

scottyboy
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
they dont have enough Rutgers players to get them to that next level.

also, no disrespect to any Dallas fans here (except D, he's a jerk!) but Dallas always seems to be in the news and has been a sexy pick in the preseason for a few years in a row now.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
In before this thread goes to 3 pages.

Vikings- aged O-line and dline, even older QB
Packers- Shaky o-line, hard to repeat same defensive performance surely they will slip up.

Its a new season. The saints were 8-8 an missed the playoffs before they won this year.

bigbluedefense
07-22-2010, 09:37 AM
They have 3 great players in that front 7. Ware goes without saying, I think Ratliff is emerging as one of the best interior dlinemen in the league, and Spencer is doing a great Shaun Phillips-when-Merriman-was-good-and-took-all-the-blockers-off-him impression.

Their DEs are average, but they don't need to be great with that 3 headed monster up front. Their ILBs are average, and that could be an issue. Their safeties are average, that could be an issue. They have 3 very good press man CBs, although Newman is a shell of his former self, he's still a good #3 option at CB.

When you look at this team defensively, they have the edges on lock. Good CBs and a great pass rush makes it difficult to throw outside on em. But they are soft up the middle in the pass game. Weak ILBs and weak safeties leave them vulnerable to TEs and seam routes.

I expect teams to try to take advantage of that. But overall that defense is very very good and it will take the right team with the right personnel to expose it.

Offensively, as stated before, I'm also not a huge fan of that offensive line. I think if they take a step back offensively, it will be for that reason. Their skill positions are loaded. Austin, Dez, Witten, and Felix Jones are deadly weapons.

I'm not buying into Martellus Bennett. A spade is a spade, and he's a guy who won't live up to the potential in my eyes. Roy Williams is a bum, but I like Oggletree in the slot. Barber may be washed up, but Choice is there to replace him easily.

They have weapons. My main concerns are the middle of their defense in pass coverage, and their offensivel line.

I think they deserve to be considered the team to beat in the East, but maybe this is homerism talking, I don't think they win the East. I think the Giants bounce back in a big way this year.

Thats only if Perry Fewell isn't a turd and we stay healthy. I have concerns about our own oline as well. Our oline isn't very good. Hasn't been very good in pass coverage forever, and now its no longer great in run blocking either.

nepg
07-22-2010, 09:40 AM
The Eagles are better.

wonderbredd24
07-22-2010, 09:42 AM
In terms of talent, Dallas is up there with anyone, but it never translates at the end of the season.

If you evaluate purely on talent, Dallas probably is the favorite.

thenewfeature06
07-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Wonderbredd took the words out of my mouth.. Why are so many people picking Dallas? They are pretty good, it will be interesting to see how they play after finally getting past the first round of the playoffs last year. Talent wise across the board its pretty much there. Doug Free at LT is still unknown to me though he looked good in the game he was featured. Kept alot of the same people around, coaching staff included so the chemistry should be on point and them and Packers in the NFC Championship game wouldn't be surprising.

CC.SD
07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, they're probably doing it just to annoy you.

Dallas has a good bedrock, they're one of several teams that could come out of the NFC to absolutely no one's surprise.

yourfavestoner
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Meh, I look at the Giants and think they are better at almost every position on the field sans runningback and maybe receiver. You can argue linebacker, but with the difference in scheme, the Giants' d-line is on par with the Cowboys' linebackers.

It's impossible to predict injuries, but I think the Giants are still the class of the East. They're closer to the 13-3 team from two years ago than the 8-8 injury-riddled team from last year.

Joecool
07-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Dallas needs to dump wade, roy, free, and barber. Go get gruden and trade down so u can get a lot of draft picks. Also romo as good as he is theres no one behind him.. draft a 3rd or 4th round qb please. Also get felix the ball more.

wonderbredd24
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Meh, I look at the Giants and think they are better at almost every position on the field sans runningback and maybe receiver. You can argue linebacker, but with the difference in scheme, the Giants' d-line is on par with the Cowboys' linebackers.

It's impossible to predict injuries, but I think the Giants are still the class of the East. They're closer to the 13-3 team from two years ago than the 8-8 injury-riddled team from last year.

Maybe receiver? Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Roy Williams, and Jason Witten vs. Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, and Kevin Boss.

And what about corner? Terrence Newman, Orlando Scandrick, and Mike Jenkins vs. Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, and Aaron Ross.

nepg
07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
The Giants use their receivers a lot better than the Cowboys. Plus, you left out Manningham. I might take Nicks over anyone the Cowboys have at WR...hard to say because we haven't seen Dez Bryant in the NFL.

The Eagles ARE better than the Cowboys, and if the Giants fix their pass rush problems, they're probably better than Dallas as well. And we haven't even gotten to the Saints, Vikings, and everyone else.

The Cowboys are being picked because they're a media magnet.

descendency
07-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I have them 4th. (Behind GB, Minn + Favre, and NO)

zachsaints52
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Because its in the new Cowboys Stadium!

yourfavestoner
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
The Giants use their receivers a lot better than the Cowboys. Plus, you left out Manningham. I might take Nicks over anyone the Cowboys have at WR...hard to say because we haven't seen Dez Bryant in the NFL.

The Eagles ARE better than the Cowboys, and if the Giants fix their pass rush problems, they're probably better than Dallas as well. And we haven't even gotten to the Saints, Vikings, and everyone else.

Maybe receiver? Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Roy Williams, and Jason Witten vs. Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, and Kevin Boss.

And what about corner? Terrence Newman, Orlando Scandrick, and Mike Jenkins vs. Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, and Aaron Ross.

Is Williams even worth listing like he's a positive? They're better at the top with Austin and Witten, but the Giants' group has better depth and just as good potential.

And yes, Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, and Aaron Ross are a beter group than what the Cowboys have. Webster is one of the best (and easily most underrated) corner's in the league. All three guys are big, rangy CBs who excel in press-man coverage. If the Giants go back to more of that this year, and run less zone, then yes, they're easily a better group than Dallas'. I love Mike Jenkins, but Newman is a liability at this point in his career. Scandrick has some nice potential, but we'll see how in a larger role.

prock
07-22-2010, 11:04 AM
In before this thread goes to 3 pages.

Vikings- aged O-line and dline, even older QB
Packers- Shaky o-line, hard to repeat same defensive performance surely they will slip up.

Its a new season. The saints were 8-8 an missed the playoffs before they won this year.

Our D-line isn't aged, Pat Williams just is. Hutch is really our only aged guy on the offensive line. McKinnie is just a bum, Herrera is awful, Sullivan needs to improve, but he is young, and Loadholt needs to continue to improve as well.

bigbluedefense
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Is Williams even worth listing like he's a positive? They're better at the top with Austin and Witten, but the Giants' group has better depth and just as good potential.

And yes, Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, and Aaron Ross are a beter group than what the Cowboys have. Webster is one of the best (and easily most underrated) corner's in the league. All three guys are big, rangy CBs who excel in press-man coverage. If the Giants go back to more of that this year, and run less zone, then yes, they're easily a better group than Dallas'. I love Mike Jenkins, but Newman is a liability at this point in his career. Scandrick has some nice potential, but we'll see how in a larger role.

*sighhhhhhhhh*

Perry Fewell already said that we'll be running a ton of zone coverage this year.

I agree, our CB trio if put in a man coverage scheme is one of the best trios in the league, Webster is a stud in man, Terrell Thomas is developing into a stud CB regardless of scheme, and Ross while having his shortcomings (mainly injuries and lack of high end speed), makes a good nickel and can play both man and zone as well.

But yeah, Perry Fewell is sounding like a turd right now. Unless he plans on surprising us all. But from what Ive seen of his work in Buffalo, I have a feeling I'm gonna be unimpressed by him this year. He has his guys play off coverage a lot (which is terrible for us, even if we play zone we should press with our CBs), and he can't disguise a blitz for his life. You knew exactly when 4 was coming or when a blitz was coming with that Buffalo team.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
If Dallas' offense can figure out a consistent attack over the course of a season instead of flipping schizophrenically back and forth between being a primary run attack and pass attack, they could have the best offense in the NFL. That'll only really happen if the offensive line holds, but the Cowboys are being picked because they have an assload of talent.

Did they pull that talent together last year? No. Does that mean they won't think year? No. They're a gamble if you pick them, but I'd argue that the Saints were similarly risky before last season.

Malaka
07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
*sighhhhhhhhh*

Perry Fewell already said that we'll be running a ton of zone coverage this year.

I agree, our CB trio if put in a man coverage scheme is one of the best trios in the league, Webster is a stud in man, Terrell Thomas is developing into a stud CB regardless of scheme, and Ross while having his shortcomings (mainly injuries and lack of high end speed), makes a good nickel and can play both man and zone as well.

But yeah, Perry Fewell is sounding like a turd right now. Unless he plans on surprising us all. But from what Ive seen of his work in Buffalo, I have a feeling I'm gonna be unimpressed by him this year. He has his guys play off coverage a lot (which is terrible for us, even if we play zone we should press with our CBs), and he can't disguise a blitz for his life. You knew exactly when 4 was coming or when a blitz was coming with that Buffalo team.

Don't scare me BBD ='( I still don't know what to think about Fewell... only time will tell. We can be so good, and I think it partly Coughlins fault for hiring ****** coordinators.

dannyz
07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
The Cowboys can WIN their Division, but what about the Elite Teams in the NFL? Can they beat the Saints,Vikings,Jets,Colts,Ravens,Packers? When you look at it the only Team they have the best shot at is the Ravens because the Ravens Defensive Secondary is the Only Thing Holding Them Back.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Are the Jets an elite team now? Did I miss something?

toddmlazarchick
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Because as the saying goes "Same ****, different year." It wouldn't be the offseason without people picking the Cowboys to win it all and have them fail to live up to everyones expectations.

tjsunstein
07-22-2010, 01:55 PM
The Cowboys can WIN their Division, but what about the Elite Teams in the NFL? Can they beat the Saints,Vikings,Jets,Colts,Ravens,Packers? When you look at it the only Team they have the best shot at is the Ravens because the Ravens Defensive Secondary is the Only Thing Holding Them Back.

Are the Jets an elite team now? Did I miss something?

The Packers are elite? Nice.

Gribble
07-22-2010, 03:02 PM
The Eagles are better.

That's like saying the Texans are better than the Colts. Dallas beat the Eagles 3 times last year. C'mon.

zachsaints52
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
If the Saints don't have a TE to help Bushrod block Ware they can win.... again.

LetsGoGiants!
07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Have the boys really done anything to get better this season then get dez Bryant? Just from what I know about their season last year was that they lost both games to the injured Giants ( although they were both close) and got dominated by the Vikings. They can't be picked to go all the way if they haven't improved from last season.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-22-2010, 06:53 PM
They can't be picked to go all the way if they haven't improved from last season.

Yes they can. Just like a team that added pieces can be picked to flop. Dallas, moreso than any other team in the NFL, has been an exercise in unwhelming execution despite great talent for the past few seasons. If the team pulled the offense together this season, they would get a lot better quickly.

J-Mike88
07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
In terms of talent, Dallas is up there with anyone, but it never translates at the end of the season.

If you evaluate purely on talent, Dallas probably is the favorite.
I sound like a Viking homer perhaps, but I actually hate them.
But how is Dallas more talented than Minnesota?

QB: Edge Vikings
Running game: Edge Vikings with AP
WR's: Close, we'll see what Bryant does right away
OL: Close, edge Vikings

Defense, Run: Edge Vikings
Pass Rush: Even, but the Vikings steamrolled the heIIout of them in January
Defense, Pass: Even

Kicking: Edge Vikings
Punting: Close

PR/KR: Even, edge to Percy Harvin

I think this partially explains the Vikings demolishing them in the playoffs. It wasn't all coaching.

J-Mike88
07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Have the boys really done anything to get better this season then get dez Bryant? Just from what I know about their season last year was that they lost both games to the injured Giants ( although they were both close) and got dominated by the Vikings. They can't be picked to go all the way if they haven't improved from last season.
Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett got smarter this off-season? :shock:

Bucs_Rule
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I just don't trust Romo to come through big in the playoffs. He's a very good
QB, just not an elite one. The supporting cast isn't strong enough to compensate for that.

Brent
07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I am going to take **** for this, but I would take the combo of Barber/Jones/Choice over Gerhart/Peterson. You know Peterson is going to get hurt, and Toby Gerhart doesn't exactly scare me.

wonderbredd24
07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I am going to take **** for this, but I would take the combo of Barber/Jones/Choice over Gerhart/Peterson. You know Peterson is going to get hurt, and Toby Gerhart doesn't exactly scare me.

And you don't get very far without the football.

I just don't know why it's so appauling that Dallas is one of the favorites in the NFC. They are going to come out like gangbusters in September and October and fall off in December and January. It's how it goes, but they are very talented.

Minnesota is the favorite the second Favre admits he's coming back.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-23-2010, 09:42 AM
And you don't get very far without the football.

I just don't know why it's so appauling that Dallas is one of the favorites in the NFC. They are going to come out like gangbusters in September and October and fall off in December and January. It's how it goes, but they are very talented.

Minnesota is the favorite the second Favre admits he's coming back.

Eventually Favre has to slow down right? There is a 1% chance he duplicates last season. I can't see him throwing under 10 interceptions.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I just don't trust Romo to come through big in the playoffs. He's a very good
QB, just not an elite one. The supporting cast isn't strong enough to compensate for that.

That and they need to score more points. They can move the ball well, but god knows what they do when they have a chance to score. You can't do that and win a superbowl unless your defense is out of this world.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Eventually Favre has to slow down right? There is a 1% chance he duplicates last season. I can't see him throwing under 10 interceptions.

Favre is a machine lol. I bet you didn't think he would do it last year

FlyingElvis
07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Because they're always overhyped.

This.

It's just always, always the trendy pick and is received well in media outlets. The 'boys sell. Kind of like sex, only with a creepy looking old guy's face instead of a hot, "barely legal" cutie.

Show us your O-I'ma-Puke face, Jerry!!

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr122/jerseychaser106/JerryJonesShitfaced.jpg

lol

The Cowboys are a top 5 team in the NFC and deserve to be in the discussion. When it comes right down to it, nobody gives a **** about the Vikings or Packers when it comes to national consumption.

wonderbredd24
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Favre is a machine lol. I bet you didn't think he would do it last year

What? Throw the INT that would lose his team the game in the clutch? No, I had a pretty good idea.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
There is no way you knew or thought he was going to throw that pick. Don't ********. And I was talking about I bet you didn't think he was only going to throw 10 picks all season.

LonghornsLegend
07-23-2010, 10:29 AM

People are also picking the Packers, who let Arizona throw all over the field on them in the playoffs. People are also picking the Saints, who are facing the SB letdown and the NFC South turnaround curse, and the Madden curse. People are also picking the Vikings, expecting Favre to have another career year at his age and expecting him to not throw an INT in crunch time again.

What's different? Everyone has blemishes, everyone has knocks against them, and things going for them. There really is no fault in picking any of those teams, you make it seem like your upset that Dallas has been picked to go to the SB by some people like there is no basis for it at all which is just false.

RealityCheck
07-23-2010, 10:42 AM
'Cuz they have Dez Bryant, man. It's a Dez Bryant thing.

General Zod
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think there is a team more over hyped then the NY Jets right now. Dallas is the sexy pick almost every off season. Wait and see I guess. Theyll be in the mix for the NFC. GB, Minn, N.O. Dallas. Atlanta maybe. Philly depending on Kolb.

zachsaints52
07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't think there is a team more over hyped then the NY Jets right now. Dallas is the sexy pick almost every off season. Wait and see I guess. Theyll be in the mix for the NFC. GB, Minn, N.O. Dallas. Atlanta maybe. Philly depending on Kolb.

If they do it every offseason, they are bound to get it right one of these days, right?

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
07-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I think the Jets are the most overrated team I can remember. I'm not sold on them and can't wait to bust their ass week 1

marshallb
07-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't think there is a team more over hyped then the NY Jets right now.

I agree with you 100%. After the Jets I'd go in order Dallas and Green Bay. I guess I just don't see what makes these teams so great. I think all 3 are very good teams, but what makes them Super Bowl favorites?

LizardState
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Ask the Eagles defense what they think of Dallas as a SB contender.

Romo looks safeties off better than any NFL QB, he chewed a very good Eagles defense into little pieces in 3 of 3 games last season & knocked Philly off their perch as the beast of the NFC East.

yo123
07-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Peterson has missed 2 games the last 3 years. Felix Jones is wayyy more injury prone.

Brent
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Peterson has missed 2 games the last 3 years. Felix Jones is wayyy more injury prone.
Fair enough, but I still stand by my poorly stated point, which is that I would feel more confident with the depth of the Cowboys' trio than Peterson/Gerhart.

MidwayMonster31
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
As long as Peterson remembers how to hold on to the ball, he should be back to being a top running back. As far as Dallas goes, I'm more concerned if Wade Phillips can get it done in the NFC divisional and championship. They have the pieces to pull it off.

thule
07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I think the injury bug hits Dallas this year. I have no basis for that, it's just a hunch of mine. They had no player go on IR last year. Law of averages has to strike right?

That being said, the fate of their offense lies in Doug Free, and their defense rests on those safeties. I don't feel good about those safeties. The talent is clearly there to make a SB run though.

We had 2 rookies go on IR during training camp. Over half of our rookie crop missed atleast half the season. Flozell played hurt for over half the year. Ware also wasn't 100% the 2nd half of the season either. Sprinkle in Sensabaugh breaking his hand and playing half the season in a cast and Hamlin going down for a couple of weeks, we had injuries. Not to mention that Barber got hurt week 2 or 3 and never got back to 100%.

I'm not saying we didn't get lucky or anything...but we were banged up. Statistically speaking the cowboys are one of the healthiest teams year in and year out. A lot of that has to do with strength and conditioning training Joe Jurazek

J-Mike88
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Ask the Eagles defense what they think of Dallas as a SB contender.

Romo looks safeties off better than any NFL QB, he chewed a very good Eagles defense into little pieces in 3 of 3 games last season & knocked Philly off their perch as the beast of the NFC East.
That is true.
But that's within the division, not against the top dogs in the NFC North.
Ask the Vikings and Packers defense what they think of Dallas.
They chewed Romo up last season like a Michael Vick pit bull chews up poodles.

LonghornsLegend
07-23-2010, 04:00 PM
That is true.
But that's within the division, not against the top dogs in the NFC North.
Ask the Vikings and Packers defense what they think of Dallas.
They chewed Romo up last season like a Michael Vick pit bull chews up poodles.

But the main basis of your argument was "well look at GB did to Dallas, they dominated them!!!". Would it make much sense if you saw Cowboys fans running around going "well the Saints won the SB, but Dallas knocked them off an undefeated season, they have nobody to block Ware, so Dallas can easily win the SB".

You can't form the majority of your argument off of one weeks worth of games last season, and that's pretty much what you did in your original post. Dallas could use that to their advantage just the same but it still wouldn't make sense in trying to do it.

Malaka
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Well since Dallas beat the Saints... and the Giants beat the Cowboys twice... I have come to the conclusion that the last Super Bowl was a sham the Giants should have played the Colts. =D

Jvig43
07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I read an article on espn that said something like Andre Johnson may put up monster numbers, but the top WR is miles Austin. Aside from that, sure maybe they get over hyped, but I feel like their almost like the Chargers of the NFC if that makes any sense. Every year they can be expected to contend for a trophy, and almost every year they do pretty well but just cant get it done in the playoffs. Granted, not the best comparison due to the Cowboys having the tougher division, but over the last few years they've always been in the hunt for it so most people expect them, like the chargers to get it done eventually.

Saints-Tigers
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Cowboys don't have the stones to win a title.

J-Mike88
07-23-2010, 09:48 PM
But the main basis of your argument was "well look at GB did to Dallas, they dominated them!!!". Would it make much sense if you saw Cowboys fans running around going "well the Saints won the SB, but Dallas knocked them off an undefeated season, they have nobody to block Ware, so Dallas can easily win the SB".

You can't form the majority of your argument off of one weeks worth of games last season, and that's pretty much what you did in your original post. Dallas could use that to their advantage just the same but it still wouldn't make sense in trying to do it.
The difference there, biggest one, is that the Vikings killed the Cowboys in the playoffs.
The only way somehow the Cowboys are now better than the Vikings is if either: Dez Bryant can pass block for Romo against Jared Allen and Ray Edwards, or if the Vikings have some key injuries. Things don't just change because the calendar does.

LonghornsLegend
07-24-2010, 09:28 AM
The difference there, biggest one, is that the Vikings killed the Cowboys in the playoffs.
The only way somehow the Cowboys are now better than the Vikings is if either: Dez Bryant can pass block for Romo against Jared Allen and Ray Edwards, or if the Vikings have some key injuries. Things don't just change because the calendar does.

And the Pats used to kill the Colts in the playoffs, which means that the Colts would never beat them ever in the playoffs right? Obviously anybody a team beat last year will beat them the next year because that's how the logic of the NFL works.

Besides you also asked why Dallas was put ahead of GB, you know, the team who didn't make it out of the 1st round, because GB beat Dallas in the regular season.

Sniper
07-24-2010, 04:57 PM
The Eagles ARE better than the Cowboys

No, they're not. That's absurd.

Sniper
07-24-2010, 04:58 PM
'Cuz they have Dez Bryant, man. It's a Dez Bryant thing.

Pretty much. Dez Bryant is one beastly mofo.

J-Mike88
07-24-2010, 05:51 PM
And the Pats used to kill the Colts in the playoffs, which means that the Colts would never beat them ever in the playoffs right? Obviously anybody a team beat last year will beat them the next year because that's how the logic of the NFL works.

Besides you also asked why Dallas was put ahead of GB, you know, the team who didn't make it out of the 1st round, because GB beat Dallas in the regular season.
You're spinning yourself around quite a bit comparing the Minny-Dallas deal to the old Patriots-Colts deal.
Those rosters had some dramatic changes on them.

The last we saw of the Cowboys, they were getting the score run up on them by the Vikings, with Keith Brooking getting mad at the Vikings for scoring so much on them instead of mad at the defense for being invisible.

Now I don't see a bunch of big moves to make Dallas better, especially on the OL where the Vikings steamrolled the Boys and bruised Romo all day long.

I haven't noticed the Vikings losing any key guys to free agency and while I hate Farve, there's no evidence whatsoever to indicate that he's going to dropoff (which we heard going into last year as well).
In fact, I expect him to be better in year two of that offense there with the emerging Harvin, Rice, and Shiancoe working with Farve again.

D-Unit
07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Cowboys will lose because Jerry Jones was too stupid to sign Atwoge or draft a Safety early in the draft for the 5th year in a row. Sensabaugh is overrated by Cowboys fans. Alan Ball is a joke of a starting FS. Bradie James still sucks a fat one. I wish Jason Williams and Sean Lee were ready to take over, but they aren't. Our DL is the worst 3-4 DL in the NFL.

That said, I'm not too worried about Free. Even if he doesn't do well, I think Alex Barron could be ok. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he fails in front of my own eyes. Offensively, the Cowboys are going to be a load to handle if healthy.

Sniper
07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Now I don't see a bunch of big moves to make Dallas better.

http://www.thecampussocialite.com/blog/images/dez-bryant.jpg

/thread.

J-Mike88
07-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Cowboys will lose because Jerry Jones was too stupid to sign Atwoge or draft a Safety early in the draft for the 5th year in a row. Sensabaugh is overrated by Cowboys fans. Alan Ball is a joke of a starting FS. Bradie James still sucks a fat one. I wish Jason Williams and Sean Lee were ready to take over, but they aren't. Our DL is the worst 3-4 DL in the NFL.
Well said.
So there is a Boys fan here who doesn't see everything biased?

Interesting, right now on the NFL Network is the Cowboys-Vikings playoff game from earlier this calendar year.

Watching it, Dez Bryant needs to be able to upgrade the S, CB, and OT position for Dallas to close the gap with the Grape Apes.
And don't forget, Green Bay had Dallas shut out until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

Sniper
07-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Watching it, Dez Bryant needs to be able to upgrade the S, CB, and OT position for Dallas to close the gap with the Grape Apes.

Dez Bryant upgrades life and everything in it.

LonghornsLegend
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Well said.
So there is a Boys fan here who doesn't see everything biased?

Interesting, right now on the NFL Network is the Cowboys-Vikings playoff game from earlier this calendar year.

And don't forget, Green Bay had Dallas shut out until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

Get over yourself dude. What Cowboy fan has said anything biased in this thread? I'd love to read it. Cowboys are far from a lock to be SB contenders, but for as much as you want to bring up how we lost to the Vikes, the Vikes beat the Packers ass last year in every match-up, and they ARE still in the NFC, same as the Packers.

Or did you forget that part? So I guess it's ok to think GB is a lock to beat Minnesota and walk to the SB, but if any Cowboy fan thinks their team has a chance to win the SB their biased?

I hate crap ass arguments like that around here. Anybody that likes the chances of their team is biased, anybody that shits all over their team is "rationale" and "non-biased". But it's perfectly ok for a GB fan to expect their team to walk past Minny, because I guess all the changes you guys made this off-season will make a much greater difference.

Shiver
07-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Green Bay's secondary will be swiss cheese, last year's game against Arizona and Pittsburgh are just a fore-gleam. If Charles Woodson slows down they could be even worse.

Minnesota cannot rely on Favre, period. Last year's performance is once in a generation for such an older player. I just cannot imagine them reaching that peak again with Lord Favre at the helm.

New Orleans should be the favorites, but I don't see why Dallas wouldn't be right behind them. They are balanced, they have an explosive offense and probably the best defender in the game right now in Demarcus Ware. I love the development of Mike Jenkins and Miles Austin as potentially elite players at their respective positions. I am a little shaky on their O-Line and their Running Backs (can't stay healthy) though.

J-Mike88
07-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Get over yourself dude. What Cowboy fan has said anything biased in this thread? I'd love to read it. Cowboys are far from a lock to be SB contenders, but for as much as you want to bring up how we lost to the Vikes, the Vikes beat the Packers ass last year in every match-up, and they ARE still in the NFC, same as the Packers.

Or did you forget that part? So I guess it's ok to think GB is a lock to beat Minnesota and walk to the SB, but if any Cowboy fan thinks their team has a chance to win the SB their biased?

I hate crap ass arguments like that around here. Anybody that likes the chances of their team is biased, anybody that shits all over their team is "rationale" and "non-biased". But it's perfectly ok for a GB fan to expect their team to walk past Minny, because I guess all the changes you guys made this off-season will make a much greater difference.
The Vikings beat us both times last year, Favre threw 7 TDs, 0 Ints, and was not sacked once. I can't proclaim the Packers as favorites over them.

Could it happen? Sure. Both our games were close against them last year even with us missing our LT both times against Jared Allen.
But the Grapes won our division the year before as well, with Tarvarris Jackson. They have beaten us 3 straight games (all close games) and they obliterated the Boys in January.

My argument here is solely on the overhype of the Dallas Cowboys. They are overrated. And aside from a few Cowboys fans here, most people are used to the Cowboys being overrated..... and I've not seen anyone try to explain how the Cowboys have bridged the gap between themselves and the Vikings, or the Packers for that sake.

marshallb
07-25-2010, 08:18 PM
The Vikings beat us both times last year, Favre threw 7 TDs, 0 Ints, and was not sacked once. I can't proclaim the Packers as favorites over them.

Could it happen? Sure. Both our games were close against them last year even with us missing our LT both times against Jared Allen.
But the Grapes won our division the year before as well, with Tarvarris Jackson. They have beaten us 3 straight games (all close games) and they obliterated the Boys in January.

My argument here is solely on the overhype of the Dallas Cowboys. They are overrated. And aside from a few Cowboys fans here, most people are used to the Cowboys being overrated..... and I've not seen anyone try to explain how the Cowboys have bridged the gap between themselves and the Vikings, or the Packers for that sake.

...or how about the Saints????? As much as it saddens myself to say this, they are the defending NFC and Super Bowl champions. I can't see the Saints being as good as they were last year, but you do have to give them the credit they're due and when discussing contenders in the NFC for this season, they definitely have to, at the very least, be in the conversation.

TimD
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Im not quite sure why the jets have so many people overrated. yes theyve been hyped on espn a lot this off season but they did add some talent to an already solid roster. those signings and draftees combined with some sort of progression (hopefully) from sanchez, shonn greene, brad smith, and dustin keller should give us an explosive offense to go with our solid defense. rex ryan is just the man to lead a team full of talented players because he takes the ny spotlight off of them and draws it to himself.

if they get off to a solid start (which will be tough because of their schedule) they could really pick up momentum like they did in the playoffs last year.

saintsfan912
07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
So, how are the Saints not in consideration for AT LEAST a top 3 ranking in the NFC? They didn't lose one single important player on either side of the ball and only added more quality talent and depth. Just wondering if I missed anything.

Sniper
07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
So, how are the Saints not in consideration for AT LEAST a top 3 ranking in the NFC? They didn't lose one single important player on either side of the ball and only added more quality talent and depth. Just wondering if I missed anything.

Reggie Bush stopped banging Kim Kardashian. This cannot be underestimated. That's also the reason why the Cowboys are getting so much hype.

J-Mike88
07-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Im not quite sure why the jets have so many people overrated. yes theyve been hyped on espn a lot this off season but they did add some talent to an already solid roster. those signings and draftees combined with some sort of progression (hopefully) from sanchez, shonn greene, brad smith, and dustin keller should give us an explosive offense to go with our solid defense. rex ryan is just the man to lead a team full of talented players because he takes the ny spotlight off of them and draws it to himself.

if they get off to a solid start (which will be tough because of their schedule) they could really pick up momentum like they did in the playoffs last year.
I agree with you...... look, I hate New York and the East Coast bias on ESPN and others, but I have to, gulp, defend the Jets.
They made the AFC Title game. They should only be better now with holes filled by smart, veteran players, plus Shonn Greene looks like he could be a star.
Sanchez can't be as terrible as he was last year (way more Ints than TDs, and almost benched)..... and they have a good coach.
They beat Baltimore and San Diego, and they clearly improved more than San Diego has this off-season. Baltimore added a key piece with Anquan Boldin, but those teams should have a good battle.

You should have the Colts right there again, perhaps the Patriots. Nobody else seems as good as the Jets.
I'm looking forward to the Jets-Patriots games actually.
And the Jets get visits from both the Vikings and Packers early this year. I hope they beat the Vikings and lose to the Packers.
What will the Jets fans reaction be towards Favre? I still wonder what would have happened last year if they had him and not Sanchez. I think I know.

Zowie:Ruck Fules
07-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Because they are the sexy pick.

LonghornsLegend
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Soooo, it's ok for people to say the Packers are favorites, or NFC super bowl represenatives even though the Vikes beat up on the Pack twice last year and Favre was damn near perfect? Because I've seen them proclaimed to be that good by just as many people.

The Cowboys are 10/1 odds to win the SB, Green Bay is 12/1. Omg Dallas is so overrated *insert annoying eye roll here* The odds are even closer to look at both teams to win the NFC.

So the Cowboys are overrated when anyone thinks they will win the NFC because they lose to the Vikes once, but it's ok for the Packers to be considered favorites even though their in the same division as the team who they lost 2 handidly two times?

Your focus on Dallas is over bearing, I've seen both teams picked to win the NFC in numerous places, as well as I have NO and Minny. The favorite should still be Minny, but it shouldn't be a wrong answer to go with either 4. If you want Dallas to be overrated, so is Green Bay. But maybe you want to bring up again how GB beat Dallas in the regular season, because maybe the 4 or 5 times you've done so didn't hit home.

You also continually talk about Dallas bridging the gap between GB all because of one regular season loss. So I guess you also want to talk to me about how NO has bridged the gap between what has them behind us. You know, they lost to us in the regular season so obviously that makes us the better team right?

Rosebud
07-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Is that on talent or how they'll be used? On talent our trio shits on dallas. Jenkins is a stud, newman's washed up and scandrick's a good young guy, but Webster's a stud in man, TT is a stud and Ross is a good guy.

At receiver Witten is the decider because Nicks, Smith and Mario is a trio just as good as Austin, Dez and Ogletree and probably better since they're deeper with Barden coming in as a massive redzone target. With Witten's a no contest in their favor though.

I sound like a Viking homer perhaps, but I actually hate them.
But how is Dallas more talented than Minnesota?

QB: Edge Vikings
WR's: Close, we'll see what Bryant does right away
OL: Close, edge Vikings

Defense, Run: Edge Vikings
Pass Rush: Even, but the Vikings steamrolled the heIIout of them in January
Defense, Pass: Even

Kicking: Edge Vikings
Punting: Close

PR/KR: Even, edge to Percy Harvin

I think this partially explains the Vikings demolishing them in the playoffs. It wasn't all coaching.

I'd take Romo over Favre right now. I trust Favre to throw a crucial pick. Romo's a good QB who doesn't dominate in the clutch but won't **** the bed like Favre.

J-Mike88
07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
1) The Cowboys are 10/1 odds to win the SB, Green Bay is 12/1. Omg Dallas is so overrated *insert annoying eye roll here* The odds are even closer to look at both teams to win the NFC.

2) Your focus on Dallas is over bearing.
LOL

1) You know damn well that Vegas (off-shore) set the odds based not only on what they think, but also what the general public betting trends are.
They know Dallas is overrated and overhyped and will generate a lot of bets based on those factors, so they're going to offer tighter odds on the Cowboys. This is chapter 2 stuff in Betting 101.

2) My focus on Dallas? LMAO.... what's the title of this ONE thread again? Who should the focus be on, in this thread?

LonghornsLegend
07-26-2010, 08:03 AM
LOL

1) You know damn well that Vegas (off-shore) set the odds based not only on what they think, but also what the general public betting trends are.
They know Dallas is overrated and overhyped and will generate a lot of bets based on those factors, so they're going to offer tighter odds on the Cowboys. This is chapter 2 stuff in Betting 101.

2) My focus on Dallas? LMAO.... what's the title of this ONE thread again? Who should the focus be on, in this thread?

I'd keep ignoring my main points as well if I didn't know how to answer them.

nepg
07-26-2010, 09:12 AM

They had momentum going into the playoffs because the Colts and Bengals tanked. The Jets wouldn't have been in the playoffs if either of those teams decided to play the last two weeks. And aside from that, the only quality win they had all year was Week 2 v. New England (who limped past Buffalo the week before and obviously "weren't right"). Kudos to the Jets for making the most of the opportunities given to them, but what they did last year is horribly overrated.

They were barely the 2nd best team in the AFC East, and their off-season moves are overhyped, except the loss of Faneca which is underrated. Fairly unreliable Santonio Holmes (who's suspended for the first 4 games) and extremely unreliable Antonio Cromartie? That's supposed to make a team that should have limped into an 8-8 or 7-9 season an elite team in the AFC? They swapped Thomas Jones and Leon Washington for a double downgrade in Tomlinson and McKnight, they lost a defensive leader at S in Kerry Rhodes, and are replacing an All-Pro G with a rookie converting from T... That's OK though because they have Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes!

Reality is, they're the third-best team in the AFC East.

The Patriots, while flaky at times, were the best team by a good bit in the AFC East last year. Though no one talks about their off-season additions (unlike the Jets), they're also the most-improved team in the division. It's INSANE that so many people are putting the Dolphins and Jets ahead of them.

LizardState
07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Reality is, they're the third-best team in the AFC East.

The Patriots, while flaky at times, were the best team by a good bit in the AFC East last year. Though no one talks about their off-season additions (unlike the Jets), they're also the most-improved team in the division. It's INSANE that so many people are putting the Dolphins and Jets ahead of them.

That's true about the Jets. Despite their A+ draft & all of Ryan's trades & acquisitions he discovered there's an inescapable learning curve for NFL QBs, & Sanchez found that out. They can learn on an OJT basis like Romo, Cassel & other backups did, but as a starter they all have to pay those dues & adjust to the speed & complexity of the pro game. Aikman & Peyton Manning had horrible rookie experiences (Aikman was with that nightmare 1-15 Dallas team & he broke his clavicle) with their teams & later led them to SB wins when they hit their prime. If they can have the good fortune of having much better supporting offensive personnel, greatly improved systems & a few lucky breaks (like avoiding season-ending injuries) in games I suspect Stafford & Bradford will have the same experiences.

Chad Henne's vast improvement & coming into his own as a starter is the reason why the Fins are so highly rated, everybody said The Jets have finally found their QB after going through IDK how many since Marino retired. Henne was a big surprise to me -- like most others I thought he was overrated. BTW PFW for 2010 has the NFC East with the Jets #1, Pats 2nd, Fins 3rd & Buffalo bringing up the rear.

Not so sure about the Patriots though, yes Mike, it was clear to the most casual of non-Patriot fan observers that they "weren't right." IMO 2009 was the season Bellichick's magic petered out.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
You wanna know what's funny?

Tony Romo has proven more and won more in his career than Aaron Rodgers.

So yeah.

If the Packers are a hot pick, I see no reason why the Cowboys can't be either.

Rosebud
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
You wanna know what's funny?

Tony Romo has proven more and won more in his career than Aaron Rodgers.

So yeah.

If the Packers are a hot pick, I see no reason why the Cowboys can't be either.

Seriously, I hate having to defend an NFC East rival but Romo has become really under-rated. He's no Eli, but he's still a great QB.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Seriously, I hate having to defend an NFC East rival but Romo has become really under-rated. He's no Eli, but he's still a great QB.

I'm one of the biggest Romo supporters on this forum, as odd as that sounds.

BuckNaked
07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
I'd take Romo over Favre right now. I trust Favre to throw a crucial pick. Romo's a good QB who doesn't dominate in the clutch but won't **** the bed like Favre.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/01/07/2003514649.jpg

That was just too easy..

Rosebud
07-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm one of the biggest Romo supporters on this forum, as odd as that sounds.

He's a great guy and an excellent QB, it's hard not to support Tony Romo.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/01/07/2003514649.jpg

That was just too easy..

I know, you only had to go back to his first ever playoff game. Favre's so much harder to pull something like that with...

YbbZ7_dGTTE

GAH...wrong video, my bad, I meant this guy...

CoJ_K4Mlt4w

Bad Boy
07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Cus I am an american.

BuckNaked
07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
He's a great guy and an excellent QB, it's hard not to support Tony Romo.

I know, you only had to go back to his first ever playoff game. Favre's so much harder to pull something like that with...

YbbZ7_dGTTE

GAH...wrong video, my bad, I meant this guy...

CoJ_K4Mlt4w

Hey I'm not the one who went and made an outlandish statement.

Rosebud
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey I'm not the one who went and made an outlandish statement.

I don't recall making an outlandish statement. Tony Romo isn't going to **** the bed like Favre, only proof you need is that you have to go back all of the way to his first playoff game to find him doing something even close to as stupid as what Favre has done to eliminate his team in 2 of the past 3 years.

D-Unit
07-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Romo, just like every other QB has to win a SB before he'll ever disuade his critics. I have no problem with any criticism he gets. What I love about him is that he has yet to show signs of plateauing. Last year was a tremendous year of growth for him both on and off the field. This year, I have even bigger expectations for him.

As for the title of this thread... it's absurd. Dallas isn't favored to win the SB or anything. Why act like they are? What are the Vegas odds anyways?

M.O.T.H.
07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
not that i'm necessarily suggesting equivalence, but didn't romo also throw a pick late in the fourth against the giants to lose the game? and then fumbled away 2 balls and a pick vs minnesota in 2009?

i'm not sure it equates to favre, but it's not like romo is some kind of rock in the playoffs.

To be fair...that pick against the Giants was on the last play of the game, there was 9 seconds left on 4th down. I dont know why everyone brings this play up.

As for the Minnesota game...Our offensive line was completely dominated from start to finish. The loss is on them, not Romo.

Rosebud
07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
To be fair...that pick against the Giants was on the last play of the game, there was 9 seconds left on 4th down. I dont know why everyone brings this play up.

As for the Minnesota game...Our offensive line was completely dominated from start to finish. The loss is on them, not Romo.

Romo deserves some blame for coughing the ball up against minny, but you're right the OL getting massacred was a big reason he was in that situation. As for the giants game I'd also let that one go. As I've said he doesn't take over in crucial situations like Eli, but he's doesn't **** the bed like Favre has anymore.

J-Mike88
07-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Dallas isn't favored to win the SB or anything. Why act like they are? What are the Vegas odds anyways?
LonghornLegend posted them earlier, about a page back.
He said Dallas was 10-1, which is pretty high, but Dallas is always a sexy temptation for America's Fans.

Bad Boy
07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Cus we the greatest son!!!

LonghornsLegend
07-27-2010, 02:31 PM
LonghornLegend posted them earlier, about a page back.
He said Dallas was 10-1, which is pretty high, but Dallas is always a sexy temptation for America's Fans.

You should check this out:

While there is no question that the Saints are going to be the favorites of many experts and fans around the league, no team has won back to back NFC Championship games since the Green Bay Packers did so back in 1998 and 1999. Unlike the AFC where the Steelers, Patriots, and Colts have dominated, representing the AFC in each of the past seven Super Bowls, in each of the past eight season a new team has represented the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Favorites: New Orleans Saints +400, Dallas Cowboys +450, Minnesota Vikings +450, and Green Bay Packers +450
http://www.betfirms.com/2010-nfc-championship-odds-0526/

Hmmm, so Green Bay has exactly the same odds as Minny and Dallas, but Dallas is the team that's overrated though right? Even though you guys lost to Minnesota twice handidly both times, but it's all ok because *waits for you to tell us for the 2383898th time* Dallas lost to GB and was shut out well into the game.

Yet it's ok for Dallas to have worse odds then the Saints who they beat?

That's what your missing. Your trying to use arguments for only certain examples, you can't have it both ways, it's all or nothing. If it makes so much sense for you to talk about how GB beat Dallas, and how they are behind GB and did nothing to get better then them, then you have to talk about Dallas beating the Saints.

If your going to talk about how Dallas lost to Minnesota and how they still aren't better, you need to talk about how GB lost to Minnesota twice and really was never close, didn't win a playoff game, yet have exactly the same odds.

Neither argument makes very much sense, but their ones you continue to cling to, not respond to, and only use them in the examples that help the case your trying to make.

In fact, more evidence is there to show that Green Bay is more overrated then Dallas is by the arguments your trying to use. I myself personally think they are a great pick to make the SB, but it's pretty pointless to try and argue that stuff with a guy that uses regular season wins/losses in September from one season to predict the SB winner the next season.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I think the Giants are being slept on. And that's just how I want it.

Of course, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to sleep on the Giants. Perry Fewell, health, middle linebacker, Kenny Phillips, aging offensive line, injury prone running backs, tough division etc.

But I think if we can remain relatively healthy, and if Fewell doesn't screw up the schemes on defense, I think we can make a big splash this year.

scottyboy
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
the thing with Dallas, as long as they have a talented and competitive team (which they have had for quite some time now), they're going to be viewed as a favorite by many to start the season. they're always in the news, not their fault, it's just how it is. MOTH brought it up in the Dez thread, if it's not Dallas, it's really a non-story. It's just how it is. Dallas is also a very sexy pick this year with some nice names and tons of weapons. As a giants fan, this team scares me and is VERY talented. This, along with seemingly always being in the media, whether it's their fault or not, is why they seem to be the always picked team and favorite in the offseason

LonghornsLegend
07-27-2010, 02:47 PM
I think the Giants are being slept on. And that's just how I want it.

Of course, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to sleep on the Giants. Perry Fewell, health, middle linebacker, Kenny Phillips, aging offensive line, injury prone running backs, tough division etc.

But I think if we can remain relatively healthy, and if Fewell doesn't screw up the schemes on defense, I think we can make a big splash this year.

If Nicks does what I'm expecting, and that's a pro bowl caliber type season, you guys will probably make the playoffs. I mean, obviously you can't have the same defense as the one who quit vs Carolina, but when Eli was just slinging the ball around it seemed to do you guys some good.

Also you'll be able to go 3 wide and have some very skilled guys, we really don't have anyone to ever cover SS(I think Newman was been on him previously), I'm guessing Jenkins would be on Nicks and Mario can beat Scandrick.

Still even if the D can get slightly better no reason you won't make a WildCard. Eli just has to stay healthy, and if you guys switch to more of a spread based passing offense I like your chances.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
If Nicks does what I'm expecting, and that's a pro bowl caliber type season, you guys will probably make the playoffs. I mean, obviously you can't have the same defense as the one who quit vs Carolina, but when Eli was just slinging the ball around it seemed to do you guys some good.

Also you'll be able to go 3 wide and have some very skilled guys, we really don't have anyone to ever cover SS(I think Newman was been on him previously), I'm guessing Jenkins would be on Nicks and Mario can beat Scandrick.

Still even if the D can get slightly better no reason you won't make a WildCard. Eli just has to stay healthy, and if you guys switch to more of a spread based passing offense I like your chances.

We should go into more spread sets next year, but I don't think we will. Coughlin runs a very traditional offense. We might be one of the few teams in the league that still runs an iform as our base offense.

With mediocre Kevin Boss at TE (he's solid but nothing to lose sleep over), you figure we'd try to get as many WRs on the field as possible to keep defenses honest, but we probably won't.

They've stated that they want to go back to a more smashmouth offense with more power running, so expect more iform 2 WR sets again if our oline does a better job at runblocking this year. They probably should do better at run blocking, considering the injuries they had last year. O'Hara, Seuburt, McKenzie, and Hedgecock all suffered significant injuries that greatly effected their play last season. Especially O'Hara (triceps), Seuburt (labrum), and Hedgecock (labrum).

DMWSackMachine
08-02-2010, 07:47 PM

That's interesting, I have 3 consecutive victories, including two straight when the Eagles season was on the line, that says they aren't. But sure, keep telling yourself its the media. That's convenient.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 05:31 PM
That's interesting, I have 3 consecutive victories, including two straight when the Eagles season was on the line, that says they aren't. But sure, keep telling yourself its the media. That's convenient.
Yeah, head-scratcher there. Dallas wacked Philly in week 17 and then out of the playoffs the next week, ending the McNabb era, so there's no way anyone can say with a straight face that the Eagles are better than the Cowboys. Those 2 games were ugly.

Now might they beat them this year? Sure. Dallas could have a rash of injuries and fall back, as happens to a handful of teams each year.

I do love Brandon Graham though.... maybe he's worth a win or two himself if he becomes Elvis Dumervil like.

JezCat
08-07-2010, 06:48 AM
The one thing I know is that every time the Giants are an afterthought in the NFC, they win a bunch of games so expect NY to play well this year. I also don't think the loss of McNabb is bad for Philly. Well that is if Kolb doesn't just plain suck. It would be hard for him to be more inaccurate than McNabb. The Skins have a new coach and a solid D that will keep them in games all year so if the offense can produce anything then they'll surprise. The East has sent two teams to the playoffs for the past five years and I don't see that changing.

Favre will be back and so will Minnesota with their defense. Green Bay should challenge them for the division all season and I think Chicago and Detroit will be improved. I expect the Niners to return to the top of the West, and even with Leinhart at QB, I think the Cards will be right there. And of course Atlanta will battle the Super Bowl champs, who are returning the same number of starters as Dallas, in the West.

Dallas may be a trendy pick but there is a huge minefield in the NFC that they must survive just to make the playoffs and it starts with their own division.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2010, 09:33 AM

If the D can get better there is no reason why we cant win the division. We just need to see how this new DC works and how he adjusts week to week, later in the season, when teams have more tape of the defense. If he can prove to be avg or -dare I say good, then I have no doubt we can go some good things.

yourfavestoner
08-07-2010, 11:56 AM
We should go into more spread sets next year, but I don't think we will. Coughlin runs a very traditional offense. We might be one of the few teams in the league that still runs an iform as our base offense.

With mediocre Kevin Boss at TE (he's solid but nothing to lose sleep over), you figure we'd try to get as many WRs on the field as possible to keep defenses honest, but we probably won't.

They've stated that they want to go back to a more smashmouth offense with more power running, so expect more iform 2 WR sets again if our oline does a better job at runblocking this year. They probably should do better at run blocking, considering the injuries they had last year. O'Hara, Seuburt, McKenzie, and Hedgecock all suffered significant injuries that greatly effected their play last season. Especially O'Hara (triceps), Seuburt (labrum), and Hedgecock (labrum).

I think this year you'll see Coughlin go more to the singleback stuff that he ran in Jacksonville. Just a feeling.

J-Mike88
08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
If the D can get better there is no reason why we cant win the division.
Didn't you sweep the Cowboys last year, or am I mixing something up in my concussed brain again?

I see no reason why the Giants can't win that division. Last year, weren't you guys like 6-0 and many people though were the best in the NFC at that moment coming off the Super Bowl.

Minus Plaxico, I think all the other key cogs remain right, on offense?

scottyboy
08-07-2010, 12:04 PM
yea, Giants swept the Cowboys, but the first time we were more healthy (KP, Tuck etc) and the 2nd time our O came out on fire IIRC...but we got smoked by everyone else. Right now I see it being a Cowboys-Giants NFC East race. I believe the loser gets the wild card. but the Giants D has to not suck...

nepg
08-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Is everyone down on the Eagles because of Kolb? If so, that's just silliness. I see them being a much better team with Kolb at the helm. He's a much better fit for the weapons they have on offense than McNabb, imo.

They've improved their defense greatly, use their weapons on offense better than the other teams in the NFC East, and are the best-coached team in the NFC East. Year 2 of Sean McDermott should be great. I've had him pegged for as one of the top defensive assistants in the NFL for like 5 or 6 years, now. He'll have had a full off-season to prepare his defense this year.

The Eagles are easily my pick to win the NFC East. I just think they're the best team in just about every aspect of the game compared to the rest of the division.

J-Mike88
08-07-2010, 05:20 PM
The big question with Philly, besides new starter Kolb, is can Andy Reid ever learn to call running plays, and can they run it?

I love the addition of Brandon Graham. He's ROY material.

Philly could definitely win that division, but seeing them 3-balled by Dallas last year, and Dallas not losing anyone important? Logic says Dallas should be favored over Philly for sure.

http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_futures_odds.shtml
The only 2 teams with stronger odds to win the SB are the 2 teams who made the Super Bowl, NO and Indy. And Dallas creamed the Saints last year in NO. I think about 8 teams could conceivably make a case for winning the NFC.

J-Mike88
08-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Speaking of wagering, here are the regular season WIN odds for each team.
They have the Vikings # at 9 1/2 and betting the over is even money!
So if the Vikings go 10-6 or better, you win. That seems easy money.
http://www.betus.com/sportsbook/nfl-football_futures-regular_season_wins.aspx

NO is 10 1/2
Atlanta 9
Cinci 8 1/2
Denver 7 1/2 (bet the farm on the under)
Indi 10 1/2
GB is also 9 1/2 but -165 so Vegas doesn't want you betting the OVER on it
Philly is 8 1/2
Dallas is 10
Balt is 10
NYJ is 9 1/2
SD is 10 1/2

I need to get some funds into an account with Betus and put it on the Vikings. If they only win 9 games (or less), I will be shocked.
They won 10 with Tarvarris 2 years ago right?

Sniper
08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
He's a much better fit for the weapons they have on offense than McNabb, imo.

Not for DeSean Jackson.

They've improved their defense greatly, use their weapons on offense better than the other teams in the NFC East, and are the best-coached team in the NFC East. Year 2 of Sean McDermott should be great. I've had him pegged for as one of the top defensive assistants in the NFL for like 5 or 6 years, now. He'll have had a full off-season to prepare his defense this year.

Philly's corners are terrible and there's a rookie starter at free safety. Not good things in the NFC East.

The Eagles are easily my pick to win the NFC East.

Here's hoping you're right. I just don't see it.

nepg
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
You're underrating their corners (and the depth at the position) and not giving Nate Allen enough credit, imo. Ya, he's a rookie starter, but he's a rookie that would be starting on a **** load of teams including most of the playoff teams.

Their DE rotation is going to be hell for opposing offensive lines. I could see them having problems if they suffer a few injuries at linebacker, but I like that defense a lot under McDermott.

I just see Kolb as someone who's going to make better decisions with the ball than McNabb and get the ball in the hands of his playmakers faster. He'll let his playmakers do the improvising which is a contrast to McNabb being the improviser. I also think Kolb is more comfortable in spread sets and sees the field better pre-snap.

Brent
08-07-2010, 09:13 PM
nepg, I dont know how you can pass any kind of judgment on the Eagles' defensive rookies since they've yet to play a single down.

His skepticism is pretty fair.

Giantsfan1080
08-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Wow nepg might be the new biggest homer on NFLDC.

LonghornsLegend
08-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow nepg might be the new biggest homer on NFLDC.

Yea it's a bit ridiculous for you to say they are "easily" the best team in the NFC East when it's actually the furthest thing from the truth, and every question mark they have you just shrug off and see it turning into a team strength.

scottyboy
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Nate Allen would start on a lot of playoff teams? wha...psssssssssssh. yea, ok.
One shot to the nuts and he's down, he left his jock on the Rutgers field after Sanu shook it off him.

but Rutgers homerism aside, that's just silly talk

Giantsfan1080
08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Scotty isn't as big a homer as nepg is right now.

TitleTown088
08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I just see Kolb as someone who's going to make better decisions with the ball than McNabb and get the ball in the hands of his playmakers faster. He'll let his playmakers do the improvising which is a contrast to McNabb being the improviser. I also think Kolb is more comfortable in spread sets and sees the field better pre-snap.

I see Kolb as someone who's going to get a rude welcome to the NFL in week 1 by Mr. Charles Woodson. I think Sniper knows what's comin'.

scottyboy
08-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I see Kolb as someone who's going to get a rude welcome to the NFL in week 1 by Mr. Charles Woodson. I think Sniper knows what's comin'.

I would say sniper would be the one "comin'" but Kolb throwing picks to Heisman...well he'd be quite conflicted

J-Mike88
08-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Yea it's a bit ridiculous for you to say they are "easily" the best team in the NFC East when it's actually the furthest thing from the truth, and every question mark they have you just shrug off and see it turning into a team strength.
That's hilarious.

Sniper
08-07-2010, 10:48 PM

http://mvictors.com/WordPress/images/2009/bam_thumb.jpg

Sniper
08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
You're underrating their corners (and the depth at the position)

No, I'm not. I had the "pleasure" of watching the corners try to "cover" at the end of the season. Asante Samuel is garbage. He's arguably the most overrated player in the entire league. Besides that? Joselio Hanson is a good nickel, but he's not a starter. Ellis Hobbs ***** up at everything he does. Dimitri Patterson isn't a very good CB.

superman8456
08-07-2010, 11:15 PM
No, I'm not. I had the "pleasure" of watching the corners try to "cover" at the end of the season. Asante Samuel is garbage. He's arguably the most overrated player in the entire league. Besides that? Joselio Hanson is a good nickel, but he's not a starter. Ellis Hobbs ***** up at everything he does. Dimitri Patterson isn't a very good CB.

Eh, I blame the end of the season secondary woes on Sean McDermott. We got absolutely abused by the bubble screens and slants at the end of the season. Instead of turning up the press, we simply let offenses take reign on us.

Asante Samuel is far from garbage. He is by far one of the best players on the Eagles roster, and one could make a serious argument for top 5-8 CB in this league.

As a whole, our CB depth is quite lackluster, but a great pass rush could make up for that. I also anticipate the Eagles being able to somewhat stop a tightend now.

Sniper
08-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Asante Samuel is far from garbage.

Samuel is terrible. You can't ask him to cover a No. 1 receiver without putting a safety over the top every single play. "Oh, I'm going to go for the pick. Whoops, I missed. There goes the WR for a 40-yard touchdown. No biggie. I'll pick one off later to make up for it."

He is by far one of the best players on the Eagles roster

Better Eagles than Samuel...

DeSean Jackson
Jeremy Maclin
Brent Celek
Leonard Weaver
Trent Cole
Brandon Graham*
Stewart Bradley
Broderick Bunkley

*Don't look at me like that. You know goddamn well that Brandon Graham will be the greatest DE ever.

and one could make a serious argument for top 5-8 CB in this league.

No, one couldn't. Better CBs than Samuel off the top of my head include...

Charles Woodson (PBHN)
Darrelle Revis
Nnamdi Asomugha
Mike Jenkins
Leon Hall
Johnathan Joseph
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Sheldon Brown
Champ Bailey
Brandon Flowers
Jabari Greer

Samuel is a below-average cover corner with good ball skills. He's not a top-10 corner.

superman8456
08-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Samuel is terrible. You can't ask him to cover a No. 1 receiver without putting a safety over the top every single play. "Oh, I'm going to go for the pick. Whoops, I missed. There goes the WR for a 40-yard touchdown. No biggie. I'll pick one off later to make up for it."

I agree that he gambles quite often, sometimes putting himself out of position and leaving him susceptible to getting beat. You can't ask most CB's to cover a team's No. 1 receiver without providing him help over the top.

I honestly believe that Samuel is worth every penny he is getting paid. He makes plays on the ball. I would rather have a ballhawk than a shutdown corner. That's just my preference, however. We had the best of both worlds when we had Sheldon Brown to team up with Asante. Sheldon would take away one side of the field, leaving the Eagles with the ability to provide that safety over the top.

Better Eagles than Samuel...

DeSean Jackson
Jeremy Maclin
Brent Celek
Leonard Weaver
Trent Cole
Brandon Graham*
Stewart Bradley
Broderick Bunkley

*Don't look at me like that. You know goddamn well that Brandon Graham will be the greatest DE ever.

I'd agree with DeSean Jackson, Brent Celek, Trent Cole, and Broderick Bunkley (I left out BG on purpose, even though I expect big things from him). Stewart Bradley has been out of football for a full year, so you cant expect him to come in and immediately come back to old form. I'm keeping my expectations low for him, though.

No, one couldn't. Better CBs than Samuel off the top of my head include...

Charles Woodson (PBHN)
Darrelle Revis
Nnamdi Asomugha
Mike Jenkins
Leon Hall
Johnathan Joseph
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Sheldon Brown
Champ Bailey
Brandon Flowers
Jabari Greer

Samuel is a below-average cover corner with good ball skills. He's not a top-10 corner.

Asante Samuel, a two time All-Pro and three time Pro-Bowler, has performed well during the regular season and post season. I think a couple of those CB's on that list are reaches and fringe top 10 players.

nepg
08-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Scotty isn't as big a homer as nepg is right now.

How am I a homer? I ******* hate Philadelphia.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Asante Samuel, a two time All-Pro and three time Pro-Bowler, has performed well during the regular season and post season. I think a couple of those CB's on that list are reaches and fringe top 10 players.

Pro Bowls mean nothing to me. All of the corners that I listed are better all-around corners than Samuel. Samuel picks off passes. Great. It's what they pay him for. I still think that a corner who can cover (y'know, the whole point of a corner) and can tackle is better than a ballhawk who puts himself out of position.

Brent
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Pro Bowls mean nothing to me. All of the corners that I listed are better all-around corners than Samuel. Samuel picks off passes. Great. It's what they pay him for. I still think that a corner who can cover (y'know, the whole point of a corner) and can tackle is better than a ballhawk who puts himself out of position.
but he gets INTzzz!! that's easily the best measure of a cornerback. amirite?

Gribble
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM

http://joshtaylorsrow.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/ike-taylor.jpg

ike taylor, bce's greatest player ever, says otherwise.

Brent
08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
ike taylor, bce's greatest player ever, says otherwise.
if bce likes you, every thing and every one else is irrelevant.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Ursoritebrah!!!

TitleTown088
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
http://mvictors.com/WordPress/images/2009/bam_thumb.jpg

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/445482/charles-woodson-dpoy-o.gif

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
beautiful highlight reel of woodson there. that's only 1/4 of his huge plays last season.
he basically won that cowboys game all by himself.

M.O.T.H.
08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
beautiful highlight reel of woodson there. that's only 1/4 of his huge plays last season.
he basically won that cowboys game all by himself.

nahhhhhh. Your D-Line dominated that game from start to finish. Romo had zero time to throw the ball all day long. Same story against the Vikes for us...those two games we were completely over powered along the line.

TitleTown088
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
nahhhhhh. Your D-Line dominated that game from start to finish. Romo had zero time to throw the ball all day long. Same story against the Vikes for us...those two games we were completely over powered along the line.

And I think that's my reservations with the Cowboys again this season.. Is their Oline good enough to handle teams with Dline's like the Vikings and Packers this time around?

nepg
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Sorry, but I've followed Kolb for awhile, and had him as the #1 QB in that draft class. I had Maclin as the #1 WR in last year's class and rated Jackson as a Top 10 pick. LeSean McCoy was my #1 RB last year, as well. Safe to say, I'm pretty ******* confident in that offense.

As I've said, I've followed McDermott for awhile. The guy is just boss, imo. My take on their secondary is they struggled greatly last year when McDermott had to switch to DC, and he couldn't devote the time he used to to the secondary. With a season under his belt, and a full off-season to prepare, I don't see the secondary being a problem again this year. I have a lot of confidence in this guy's ability to run the defense. Sue me.

Along the defensive line, they've added a lot of high-motor, high-potential defensive ends. I like Brandon Graham a lot, but few people are talking about Darryl Tapp in that defense. They've got a nice group along the defensive line.

When comparing against the other teams in the NFC East... Yes, the Cowboys beat the Eagles 3 times in 2009. The Cowboys got swept by the Giants and the Giants got swept by the Eagles, and the Redskins got swept by everyone. This is 2010. The Eagles have a lot more players that should be hitting the next level this year than the Cowboys. They should have more ways to creatively attack much weaker offensive lines than their own defensively, and their offense is going to be a nightmare to gameplan against.

Maybe it's because of the 3 losses to Dallas in 2009 and the fad of questioning a first year starter, but the Eagles don't get enough press. I do think they're definitely better than Dallas. The Giants are tough if they fix their defense...if that happens, they're pretty equal.

Again, coming from a guy who hates Philadelphia.

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 04:53 PM
That game was a lot closer than the score indicates.
#1- Strip-sack fumble recoveries are a bit lucky, and the one Clay Matthews recovered (off Woodson's strip-sack on Romo) was a bit lucky because Felix Jones actually had it and was down, but the zebra's missed it. So it bounced away and Matthews got it and took it to the goalline.

#2- Romo missed a wide-open Miles Austin earliesh in the game which would have been a 7-0 Dallas lead.

#3- Woodson's strip on Roy Williams for the turnover. Great play by the MVP, but those are also a but fortunate.

#4- The Int in the end zone by Woodson on the pass for Witten. Great great play. The pass could have been better though.... again, 7 points was expected there.

Our offense did crap against the Cowboys defense that game, and the year before, both in Green Bay. Dallas matches up better vs us than they do Minnesota.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Didn't you sweep the Cowboys last year, or am I mixing something up in my concussed brain again?

I see no reason why the Giants can't win that division. Last year, weren't you guys like 6-0 and many people though were the best in the NFC at that moment coming off the Super Bowl.

Minus Plaxico, I think all the other key cogs remain right, on offense?

We swept them with a 1 and done DC, who was horrible! The worst DC we had in the Coughlin tenure, and we currently are on our.. 1..2..3.. 4th.. 4th! And Bill Sheridan was the worst. Still we managed to sweep them! How? I have no idea. Credit our offense, for some how going toe to toe with Dallas.

Yeah we were 5-0 against not so good teams. Our defense got exposed by the Saints, the league saw what to do on tape, and away we go. Sheridan couldn't adjust, lost his unit, and that side quit on him. When your team gives up 6 games where the opponent scores 40 or more points, then there is a huge issue. That type of defense warrants the DC to get kicked in the nuts.. 4 times, twice per nut.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
We swept them with a 1 and done DC, who was horrible! The worst DC we had in the Coughlin tenure, and we currently are on our.. 1..2..3.. 4th.. 4th! And Bill Sheridan was the worst. Still we managed to sweep them! How? I have no idea. Credit our offense, for some how going toe to toe with Dallas.

Yeah we were 5-0 against not so good teams. Our defense got exposed by the Saints, the league saw what to do on tape, and away we go. Sheridan couldn't adjust, lost his unit, and that side quit on him. When your team gives up 6 games where the opponent scores 40 or more points, then there is a huge issue. That type of defense warrants the DC to get kicked in the nuts.. 4 times, twice per nut.

I'm really going to miss Bill Sheridan. Do you think that Perry Fewell will learn that DeSean Jackson only goes deep?

NY+Giants=NYG
08-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm really going to miss Bill Sheridan. Do you think that Perry Fewell will learn that DeSean Jackson only goes deep?

I am sure he learned it, but he never did anything about it. Adjustments is not in his vocab. 6 games where teams scored 40 or more points proves this. What could you possibly be thinking? Teams are using the tape from previous games to exploit us. Fewell is the antithesis or Sheridan already. Sheridan was quiet and never said a word, while Fewell is no stop in the players faces and getting heard. If he is 1/4 better than Sheridan, then I expect good things. If he is actually above avg, then I expect a damn good year. If he is good-great, then that would be sick for us. But if not, then we need to get our new coaches lined up for American Idol-DC version.

superman8456
08-08-2010, 09:13 PM

That's fine that Pro-Bowls mean nothing to you, but the All-Pros should damn well matter.

Asante picks off passes, but he also makes QB's question whether to throw to the receiver he is covering often. He is one of the best players in the league at breaking on the ball. He's an instinctive player and when he sees something, he attacks it. You're going to get beat when you play like Asante does. Fact is, he doesn't get beat enough for me to think he is overrated.

Asante gives effort in tackling, and at the end of day, that's all you can really ask for. There's only so much he can do when Brandon Jacobs is running at him.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 09:19 PM
That's fine that Pro-Bowls mean nothing to you, but the All-Pros should damn well matter.

You're right. Jason Peters was totally an all-Pro in 2008.

Fact is, he doesn't get beat enough for me to think he is overrated.

Are we watching the same Asante Samuel? First of all, he usually covered the other team's No. 2 WR, and still got routinely burnt.

Asante gives effort in tackling

Just stop.

scottyboy
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
There was that one time Asante looked like he thought about maybe trying to tackle that one time

nepg
08-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Samuel has the ability to be a top corner, but since he left New England, he's been a stat hog in preparation for his next contract. Really just needs someone to put him in his place like they did in New England. Philly can hope that he gets his H out of his A this year.

LonghornsLegend
08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Samuel has the ability to be a top corner, but since he left New England, he's been a stat hog in preparation for his next contract. Really just needs someone to put him in his place like they did in New England. Philly can hope that he gets his H out of his A this year.

He's always freelanced that way, it was just the scheme in NE masked his defeciancies better then Philly does. He jumps routes all game, constantly gets burned for big plays, misses tackles periodically, it's just that he'll come up with some INT's and sometimes they will come at big points in the game. It still doesn't cover up the fact that play in and out during the course of a game he's more of a liability then anything.

If you have a pure cover corner opposite him, and let Asante do what he does then great, but he's expected to be their best corner and there really isn't a reliable option as a #2 or a slot guy.

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand what type of corner Asante is. All Dallas does is run slant and go routes on him with a pump fake on the first bite, and he goes for it nearly every time and gives up a long ass TD.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Samuel was asked by a reporter last year about his lack of physicality and lack of willingness to tackle. His response?

"They pay me for the picks."

Hurricanes25
08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Samuel was asked by a reporter last year about his lack of physicality and lack of willingness to tackle. His response?

"They pay me for the picks."

At least he admits that he's not trying to tackle anyone.

J-Mike88
09-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I personally don't think they've leapfrogged either, but I think they're the best in the east. Their offense is going to be ridiculous and their defense will keep them in games.
I asked this question 2 months ago.
I'm still looking for answers to it.

BTW, here's a good write-up about tomorrow's Cowboys @ Texans game from Bob Sturm.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/09/bob-sturm-why-cowboys-will-los.html

I personally expect Dallas to play very well tomorrow. I'd call it a tossup vs the 2-0 Texans. I'd pick Houston if I had to bet, but refs and turnovers will probably determine the winner.

Brent
09-25-2010, 09:35 AM
refs and turnovers will probably determine the winner.
I think you could say that about every football game.

21ST
09-25-2010, 09:53 AM
For the record i never bought the dallas hype believe it or not

McBain
09-25-2010, 05:54 PM
For the record i never bought the dallas hype believe it or not

I don't believe you. You are a liar.

LizardState
09-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Bandwagoner Dallas fans are falling off it so fast this season it's like juju beads at Mardi Gras.

Brent
09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Bandwagoner Dallas fans are falling off it so fast this season it's like juju beads at Mardi Gras.
your metaphor is confusing. women want beads and dudes want them to see boobs.

J-Mike88
09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I think you could say that about every football game.
Good point.

By the way, I see the line for the bandwagon is lining up...... Very nice win for the Boys down in Houston, and a terrible showing by the Texans defensive backs.

Miles Austin did nothing, and the Cowboys rolled. That's an impressive sign right there for Dallas.

Roy Williams looked like 2005-06 Roy Williams.
Dez Bryant is a player for sure.

nepg
10-22-2010, 09:55 AM
This is a thread to watch. Entertaining things so far.

J-Mike88
10-22-2010, 03:45 PM
This is a thread to watch. Entertaining things so far.
Interesting yes... back then, I didn't think Dallas was that great or had improved enough in the key areas to be considered the favorite in the NFC.... but they are not dead like some think they are. They're not buried yet and they can still lose 3 more games I think, and make the playoffs. That's still possible.

Jvig43
10-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Sigh.....Dallas is not going to win the division outside of some miracles and freak accidents to washington's, Philly's, and NY's starting Qbs. So that leaves wild card, their going to beat out any of those three teams, the possibility of GB, Chi, Minn, NO, Atl for a wild card spot. People are thinking their dead because at this point it'd take an act of god to get that team into the playoffs.

nepg
10-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't like Washington going forward. They pulled some serious **** out of their ass to get to 3 wins. I'm still not sure how they managed that. They're not that good, and I don't trust McNabb when he has to carry a team.

But yeah, Philly and NYG are hitting on all cylinders. I don't see Dallas overcoming those two teams... I thought Dallas was the third best team in the NFC East going into the season, and I still see them in that spot. If the Vikings, Packers, or Falcons implode (all three real possibilities), there's still a chance for Dallas to get into the wild card mix.

Jvig43
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I liked Washington to get into the playoffs in the off season, their defense has been awful tho thus far. I'll take Mcnabb and Shanny over Romo Phillips however, I think Washington finishes better then Dallas at this point.

xxxxxxxx
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Does everyone think Dallas is done after monday night?

Jvig43
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
No, I think their done now. Not only have they been playing bad, their commiting awful penalties and mistakes that cost them, and Wade isnt doing **** to correct as indicated by back to back celebration parties. And I dont care if it was a petty flag or not, your team only won a single game, celebrate when you get the win.

xxxxxxxx
10-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Playing bad, there playing amazing besides the penalties and mistakes, dude.

They led all 5 games in yards, and out of all 4 of minnesota's scores, 3 were in dallas territory to start, and the 4th was harvin's return.

umphrey
10-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Does everyone think Dallas is done after monday night?

This question gets asked every single week so... I'll say they are done at 8 losses or mathematical elimination

Jvig43
10-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Playing bad, there playing amazing besides the penalties and mistakes, dude.

They led all 5 games in yards, and out of all 4 of minnesota's scores, 3 were in dallas territory to start, and the 4th was harvin's return.

And the Vikings only have one more win then they do, so what does that say. You almost won against a 2-3 team is a poor argument to convince people your playing "amazing". Seriously, amazing, thats the word your using to describe this team's play?

LonghornsLegend
10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
No, I think their done now. Not only have they been playing bad, their commiting awful penalties and mistakes that cost them, and Wade isnt doing **** to correct as indicated by back to back celebration parties. And I dont care if it was a petty flag or not, your team only won a single game, celebrate when you get the win.

I know I personally blame alot of crap on Wade so I'm certainly no apologist for him but I don't really put those back to back celebration penalties on him honestly. The first one I read was for a chest bump with two players, does that really sound like excessive celebration? The 2nd was because Sam Hurd threw up the 'hook em' horns sign with Roy.

While a penalty is a penalty, it's not like 2 guys were coming up with celebrations they worked on the night before like the captain morgan thing with Brent Celek, or some *** little dance together, or anything synchronized ala Any Given Sunday. I don't even think they knew that kinda stuff was a penalty and it wasn't even a big celebration, standing still throwing up a hook em sign?

Fine. Throw a flag. But it's hard for me to blame Wade and act like guys were just going crazy trying to look cool after a TD. Hell to be honest both times they weren't really anything out of the ordinary, especially when Braylon is allowed to starting doing the "dougie" directly in the face of the CB he scored on in a primetime game.

Jvig43
10-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Fair enough, but theres been a handful of other huge penalties hurting you guys too, which is a sign of an undisciplined team where I'll look to Wade to do something about. And I believe Edwards was fined for dancing in front of Butlers face if I remember correctly.

Rosebud
10-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Sigh.....Dallas is not going to win the division outside of some miracles and freak accidents to washington's, Philly's, and NY's starting Qbs. So that leaves wild card, their going to beat out any of those three teams, the possibility of GB, Chi, Minn, NO, Atl for a wild card spot. People are thinking their dead because at this point it'd take an act of god to get that team into the playoffs.

*shrug* if they beat the giants like I think they will if we don't blow them out they're back in the division race. Philly's playing well but who knows how well they'll hold up, the Skins just don't have the weapons and are giving too much up on D to keep banking on redzone stops for the rest of the year and the Giants have been abnormally healthy, yeah we've lost Kiwi for the season, Snee's been banged up, Beatty's down for a while and O'hara's banged up, but for us that's kinda low. *knock on wood* but if that trend tends more to our average that'll slow us down as well. Dallas still has a shot at the division, they just have to stop ******* it up and they just might have that caliber of a leader in that lockerroom. At this point I'm not going to bet on them but I do think they'll at least get themselves back into the race.

Jvig43
10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
*shrug* if they beat the giants like I think they will if we don't blow them out they're back in the division race. Philly's playing well but who knows how well they'll hold up, the Skins just don't have the weapons and are giving too much up on D to keep banking on redzone stops for the rest of the year and the Giants have been abnormally healthy, yeah we've lost Kiwi for the season, Snee's been banged up, Beatty's down for a while and O'hara's banged up, but for us that's kinda low. *knock on wood* but if that trend tends more to our average that'll slow us down as well. Dallas still has a shot at the division, they just have to stop ******* it up and they just might have that caliber of a leader in that lockerroom. At this point I'm not going to bet on them but I do think they'll at least get themselves back into the race.

If anything the most I could possibly seeing them doing is pulling a Titans like last year at this point, getting on a streak but too little too late. Monday night will be very interesting to see if they can even get on track here.

SenorGato
10-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Dallas is an extremely talented team. They're not finished. The talent on that roster is legit enough that they can run the table if they wanted to...It might not happen...probably won't...but to count them out now is lame.

The NFL loves storylines and the Cowboys of all teams being the first team to make the playoffs after 1-4 would be a helluva story to push...and lets not forget that they have the advantage of an extremely powerful owner and the SB being played in their house this year. Not that the NFL does things like that...it's not like I watched domino after domino drop for the Jets last year as they got themselves a QB gift wrapped to them, a new HC, new attitude, and new D as they prepped to open up the new stadium.

J-Mike88
10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Dallas is an extremely talented team. They're not finished. The talent on that roster is legit enough that they can run the table if they wanted to......it's not like I watched domino after domino drop for the Jets last year as they got themselves a QB gift wrapped to them, a new HC, new attitude, and new D as they prepped to open up the new stadium.
Well, no Romo now.
Is the rest of this Cowboys team as talented as last year's Jets team, for example?
Can Jon Kitna be a game-manager a la the rookie Sanchez last year?

You see, I just don't think this Dallas team is an extremely talented team like some are led to believe. Is it the big names, the Pro Bowl votes, or what that leads people to think they're so talented?

Their OL is horrible. That's a huge factor right there, wasting some good RBs.
Their DL is average.
Their DBs are definitely subpar, with their safeties having the ball skills of Rosie O'Donnell or Ellen Degeneres.
Their kicking game is suspect too.

I thought this team would be about 10-6 when I created this thread. I didn't think they'd start the year 1-5 though, jeez.
Tony Romo's clavicle just sealed Wade Phillips' fate, and I suspect that is the silver lining for Cowboys Nation right now.

nepg
02-19-2011, 09:23 PM
The Eagles are better.

This thread is hilarious. ******* Cowboys. LOL. And, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and be an asshole by pointing out how right I was.

Jvig43
02-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I mean besides being mistake prone and all that jazz they crushed teams.

SenorGato
02-20-2011, 09:20 AM
I missed soooooooooooo bad on this team. I'm more pissed on missing with the Giants, who really should be one of the best teams in the league year in and year out.

yourfavestoner
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I missed soooooooooooo bad on this team. I'm more pissed on missing with the Giants, who really should be one of the best teams in the league year in and year out.

Agree about the Giants. They are such a ******* enigma to me.

D-Unit
02-21-2011, 01:55 AM
It was a real tough year for the Cowboys. But why is it a mystery anytime the Cowboys get national publicity? Any news concerning the Cowboys makes a lot of revenue because of the large fan base. Any little thing will get blown up whether the news is good or bad. People shouldn't be upset with the recognition. It's a result of past success, a flamboyant owner and a large fan base.

J-Mike88
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
No I started this thread not because of the publicity they were getting, that they always get. I started it because I couldn't figure out what made them all-of-a-suddenly so much better.

I never got any answers. But I enjoy every single response from you D-Unit because that means I get to see Jessica Alba's ass every time :o)

LonghornsLegend
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
No I started this thread not because of the publicity they were getting, that they always get. I started it because I couldn't figure out what made them all-of-a-suddenly so much better.

I never got any answers. But I enjoy every single response from you D-Unit because that means I get to see Jessica Alba's ass every time :o)

They weren't all of a sudden so much better. It was because they did well in December the year prior and won a playoff game. Probably the same reason people picked the Vikes to win the SB and their season crumbled. It happens. Happens more often then not with Dallas, but there was more evidence to state why Dallas would do well in 2011 then there was to prove a failure.

Not sure what specific answer you were looking for.

bigbluedefense
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Injuries. And an aging offensive line.

I hate to use the injury card, bc i'm fully aware that every team has injuries, but our defense was absolutely decimated by injuries in 09, and this year our offense was decimated.

In a complex run n shoot system, when you get those kinds of injuries to your WR core you're done. That's why Eli had so many picks, miscommunication was worse than ever this year with those option routes.

And for the life of me, I cannot understand why we don't run a man coverage pressure based defense.

Those 3 issues are the problem with the Giants.

Having that said, I felt like we blew a great opportunity this year. The NFC was wide open, and if we got into the playoffs I think we could've made some serious noise. I think even with our injuries we were better than the Bears and Falcons, the only team that would have scared me was Philly (Packers wouldn't be in if we got in so they don't count).

And we still went 10-6. It's not like we sucked.

This coming year will be interesting. I'm just hoping we can put a healthy season together and we get some damn linebackers and youth along the oline.

bucfan12
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
You can't argue that the talent is there. However, there secondary is vastly overrated. Newman is up there in age and Jenkins is one of the most overrated CBs I have ever seen. How did he make a pro bowl last year? They could be looking at getting 2 new safety;s from what I've read. On offense, many complain about their run game, but honestly, they passed more because the o-line did nothing. They need a G and RT. They have a nice LT in Doug Free.

Romo will be back and Dez Bryant is a stud to compliment Miles Austin. Plus, Wade Phillips was never the coach to guide this team to a Super Bowl. That might have been the big issue there. He is a solid D-Coordinator. That is all.

Dallas will be one of the favorites for the Super Bowl, but the NFC is going to be a lot stronger. Green Bay is the clear favorite and they are getting there key guys back, whom they won a Super Bowl without. Atlanta is another young team that got a taste of playoff experience and will be just as good next year. The Bears still have their core and with draft picks, will be up there. I think the Rams won't be a super bowl contender, but with a Franchise QB like BRadford, I think they take the ultimate next step and win there division. Eagles with Vick are always tough. Tampa was playing very good football down the stretch last year without 8 key starters on I.R. The Saints will be around, so I don't know how people can make Dallas a Super Bowl pick when really, it's going to be extremely tough in the NFC next year.

SenorGato
02-21-2011, 03:12 PM

I can't think of a team more loaded in the front 7 year in and year our...sure the LBers are mediocre at best but when you have 4-5 legit NFL pass rushers year in and year out it kinda makes up for it...

I just hope Tuck's career as a starter isn't wasted....most underrated elite defensive player in the league...along with Darnell Dockett and maybe Vince Wilfork, who is better than the Ngata but doesn't have a Lewis/Suggs/Reed combo to back him.

LonghornsLegend
02-21-2011, 09:11 PM
You can't argue that the talent is there. However, there secondary is vastly overrated. Newman is up there in age and Jenkins is one of the most overrated CBs I have ever seen. How did he make a pro bowl last year? They could be looking at getting 2 new safety;s from what I've read. On offense, many complain about their run game, but honestly, they passed more because the o-line did nothing. They need a G and RT. They have a nice LT in Doug Free.

Because he played like a pro bowler last year, what's so hard to understand? I didn't know your pro bowl should be null and void because you suck the year after. He played great in 2009, and craptastic in 2010. Unfortunately some people can't figure out the difference between the two and automatically assume that he must have sucked that year also.

Newman has always been garbage to me, well at least for the past few seasons. He's constantly getting burned deep and he makes too much money. If we happened to land Aso or draft Prince, I think Jenkins as the #2 would be much better suited for him. He has the talent of the #1 but as of now lacks the desire and work ethic to achieve that level.

Maybe the pro bowl got to his head, but it would sure help bringing in another guy to take some press. Sad as it may be Jenkins would probably go back to playing great if another CB came and started to lock down 1 side of the field while garnering attention. The competition for a starting job between Scandrick/Jenkins was the best thing for his career, as soon as he earned the job he got lazy.

bucfan12
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Because he played like a pro bowler last year, what's so hard to understand? I didn't know your pro bowl should be null and void because you suck the year after. He played great in 2009, and craptastic in 2010. Unfortunately some people can't figure out the difference between the two and automatically assume that he must have sucked that year also.

Newman has always been garbage to me, well at least for the past few seasons. He's constantly getting burned deep and he makes too much money. If we happened to land Aso or draft Prince, I think Jenkins as the #2 would be much better suited for him. He has the talent of the #1 but as of now lacks the desire and work ethic to achieve that level.

Maybe the pro bowl got to his head, but it would sure help bringing in another guy to take some press. Sad as it may be Jenkins would probably go back to playing great if another CB came and started to lock down 1 side of the field while garnering attention. The competition for a starting job between Scandrick/Jenkins was the best thing for his career, as soon as he earned the job he got lazy.

Jenkin's pro bowl was bogus last year. He did have a good season, but he got on because of an injury replacement/played for the Dallas Cowboys. Aquib Talib was 10x's better than him and was overlooked because he was on a 3-13 Bucs team at the time.

Maybe Jenkins is more suited in a zone/cover 2 scheme instead of being in man. HE was atrocious this past year and feared contact.

LonghornsLegend
02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Jenkin's pro bowl was bogus last year. He did have a good season, but he got on because of an injury replacement/played for the Dallas Cowboys. Aquib Talib was 10x's better than him and was overlooked because he was on a 3-13 Bucs team at the time.

Maybe Jenkins is more suited in a zone/cover 2 scheme instead of being in man. HE was atrocious this past year and feared contact.

Really? Never heard of anyone getting into the pro bowl through that route before......

And you keep talking about how bad he was this season, like it has anything to do with his pro bowl season. They are 2 different seasons that have nothing to do with eachother, as if you haven't noticed you aren't getting any arguments from me about his play.

Jenkins is much better in man then zone, he just sucked this year. Talib wasn't "10x better" then Jenkins 2 years ago, but I'd expect nothing less from you. He played at a pro bowl level that year, point blank. If you want to split hairs about who really should have made the pro bowl then by all means go ahead, you'll keep yourself pretty busy.

TheFinisher
02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Jenkins played lights out in 2009, this year not so much. Hopefully Rob Ryan can light a fire under his *** because we all know he has the ability to play at a high level.

grignotte
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM

This rule should apply to Derek Anderson however.
I still can't believe he made the Pro-Bowl...and I believed in him...

bigbluedefense
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Pretty spot on.

To be fair, I said Carolina would win the South too...

Zello
02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
The real question is, how will they do next year?

With a new head coach, a new defensive coordinator, and a top-10 draft pick? Hmmm. This one will be trickier to predict, imho. They could be really good next year, or the new regime could fail spectacularly.

J-Mike88
02-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Living in Dallas, as a die-hard Packer fan...... I have to admit I think Romo is unfairly ripped on and I plan on taking him early in my fantasy draft this August if we have one.

The Dallas defense should be better with Ryan running the show.
They still need to get that running game going somehow.