PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, Dumervil reach agreement on extension

Shahin
07-22-2010, 11:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArJfpJm4MngtE21aoGTfKNdDubYF?slug=ap-broncos-dumervil

:*(

Shahin
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Elivs got big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

oh, goddamnit

Brent
07-22-2010, 11:51 PM
I find it funny that McDaniels is talking as if he's going to be the coach for a long time.

descendency
07-23-2010, 12:51 AM
I find it funny that McDaniels is talking as if he's going to be the coach for a long time.

So far, he's only done as good as Mike Shanahan did in his last few years.

5 million more guaranteed than Terrell Suggs.

Razor
07-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Wow, talk about overpaying! It's not like the guys is DeMarcus Ware or someone like that. Dumervil had what will likely be the best season of his career and they paid him like a player that has a season like that every other year.

Giantsfan1080
07-23-2010, 06:41 AM
What don't people get that contracts just go up like this. Don't use it as a comparison to other players because it's not how the business of the NFL works.

M.O.T.H.
07-23-2010, 06:54 AM
One of my favorite college players of all-time...good for him.

edit...and it's not like Elvis is going to stop getting to the Qb now all of sudden. He's been a sack artist on every level, he'll be just fine. Money well spent by the Broncos.

I'm happy he's seen so much success...the guy was just unreal in college.

zachsaints52
07-23-2010, 08:11 AM
61 for him, but they couldn't give 47.5 for Brandon? Good for Elvis though, glad he got paid.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah this was likely the best year Doom will have but ****, he was NFL sack champ. He's a dojble digit guy when healthy, especially in the 3-4

Razor
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM
let me know when you've seen him play and then we can discuss what a terrible post this was.

I knew I was going to catch some flak for that one.. I like Dumervil a lot, but I don't think he's done enough to warrant such a big contract. He had a phenomenal season last fall, but I just can't see him being as dominant as he was last season ever again. He's small and can be exploited in the running game which is a liability for a defense, that is notoriously bad a stopping the run as it is. He's as good a pass rusher as anybody in this league, but he's very average in all other aspects of the game imo. I would think that most coaches in the league could gameplan so that Dumervil gets neutralized, that's pretty easy when a player is as one-dimensional as Dumervil. That's why I think they overpaid.

killxswitch
07-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I knew I was going to catch some flak for that one.. I like Dumervil a lot, but I don't think he's done enough to warrant such a big contract. He had a phenomenal season last fall, but I just can't see him being as dominant as he was last season ever again. He's small and can be exploited in the running game which is a liability for a defense, that is notoriously bad a stopping the run as it is. He's as good a pass rusher as anybody in this league, but he's very average in all other aspects of the game imo. I would think that most coaches in the league could gameplan so that Dumervil gets neutralized, that's pretty easy when a player is as one-dimensional as Dumervil. That's why I think they overpaid.

A couple things (and I am not a Donkos fan at all):

- Yes teams will gameplan against him more in the future. They'll have to. But as it was mentioned already this was his first year in the 3-4 as a LB. With a year of experience and more offseason work it stands to reason that not only will he improve as a stand-up pass rusher, he'll improve in things like LB run support and pass coverage. Furthermore, if Denver ever gets some decent from 7 pieces around him he will improve that much more because teams won't be able to focus just on blocking him.

- He is not "small". He is short but he is thick at 250 lbs. For a 3/4 rushbacker that is fine, even preferable given the leverage he can achieve vs. 6'4+ OTs and TEs.

zachsaints52
07-23-2010, 09:40 AM
let me know when you've seen him play and then we can discuss what a terrible post this was.

marshall had repeatedly said he 'hated denver,' beyond the fact that doom doesn't spend his offseason beating ex-gfs and slipping on french fry wrappers. tbh, if we had to pick one or the other, i'm glad we kept doom.

I didn't know he said he hated Denver, all I heard was about him whining about a new contract.

Splat
07-23-2010, 09:49 AM
They didn't over pay dude is a beast, he might not get 17 sacks again but as long as he stays healthy he should get double digit sacks every year.

DoughBoy
07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
<3 Doom. Worth every penny IMO.

Brent
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
i'd hope we're all better than that.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6bw5m6fZShI/SxcgIDMZ4WI/AAAAAAAACt4/VLQyIizXxV8/s400/ed+lover+come+on+son.jpg

Paranoidmoonduck
07-23-2010, 01:57 PM
They struck gold when they drafted Dumervil, so it'd be foolish to not keep him on the team.

I was hoping they let him get away.

FlyingElvis
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
sigh

If only Logan Mankins could be so calm, cool, and professional.

Smart move by the Broncos locking up a stud. He will have more seasons like last year, imo. He should still improve and, as mentioned, the line can only improve around him.

CT Bronco Fan
07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
great news

Vox Populi
07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
I love when people still call Doom small now that hes playing OLB. Hes the same size as James Harrison, not much smaller than Lamarr Woodley.

GB12
07-23-2010, 05:16 PM
I love when people still call Doom small now that hes playing OLB. Hes the same size as James Harrison, not much smaller than Lamarr Woodley.

Well talking height he's still quite small for a 3-4 OLB, but the correct term would be short. Weight wise he's still on the smaller side, but it's not severely undersized or anything. Especially when you factor those two together he's big for his height. I guess what I'm saying is he's not real small, but I can still see why people would say that.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, James Harrison and Elvis Dumervil are pretty short for 3-4 OLB's. It's not bad, though, it can definitey work to their advantage. Monsters like Bryant McKinnie and Max Starks and Jared Gaither will and definintely do struggle with those guys when they get low. There's no way that a guy that is eight inches taller than them will be able to drop as low as they do.

Vox Populi
07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Well talking height he's still quite small for a 3-4 OLB, but the correct term would be short. Weight wise he's still on the smaller side, but it's not severely undersized or anything. Especially when you factor those two together he's big for his height. I guess what I'm saying is he's not real small, but I can still see why people would say that.

My point was more that of the top 3-4 OLB's, other than Ware right now most of them are short and stocky and Doom is only fractions of an inch shorter than other top guys like Harrison and Woodley.

GB12
07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
My point was more that of the top 3-4 OLB's, other than Ware right now most of them are short and stocky and Doom is only fractions of an inch shorter than other top guys like Harrison and Woodley.

Woodley is 3 inches taller at 6'2". Harrison is the only one that really compares with Dumerville.

Here are the top 15 OLBs in terms of sacks from last year. Dumerville is at least 4 inches shorter than all but two.

Dumerville - 5'11"
Harrison - 6'
Cain - 6'2"
Berry - 6'3"
Wimbley - 6'3"
Orakpo - 6'3"
Porter - 6'3"
Hali - 6'3"
Phillips - 6'3"
Matthews - 6'3"
Ware - 6'4"
Pace - 6'4"
Lawson - 6'5"
Scott - 6'5"
Taylor - 6'6"

Jimmy
07-23-2010, 10:42 PM
people act like the guy has come out of nowhere and he dosent have a high ceiling. the dude posted 17 sacks his senior year of college too.

Shahin
07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
people act like the guy has come out of nowhere and he dosent have a high ceiling. the dude posted 17 sacks his senior year of college too.

For some reason i always thought he got 20 sacks his senior year. Makes no difference really, but i always thought he'd be a beast inthe NFL

Timbathia
07-24-2010, 04:36 AM

Most fans only know numbers. Doom spent a few years on a complete bag-o-**** d-line and stats suffered accordingly. What most fans dont know is that he was the closest Bronco to the QB on almost every passing down that he was in on.

Brent
07-24-2010, 09:26 PM
this is why i love the guy. best motor i've ever seen for a guy who was too small, to slow, and all around not good enough coming out.
guys with a high motor are hard to not like. everyone, especially me, loves a player who gives it his all on every down.

Razor
07-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Most fans only know numbers. Doom spent a few years on a complete bag-o-**** d-line and stats suffered accordingly. What most fans dont know is that he was the closest Bronco to the QB on almost every passing down that he was in on.

this is why i love the guy. best motor i've ever seen for a guy who was too small, to slow, and all around not good enough coming out.

I think everybody loves the way Dumervil plays, but that doesn't change the fact that they overpaid for him. Most people just seem to assume that he'll automatically mature into a complete OLB because "last year was his first in the 3-4 and he can only get better at setting the edge or dropping back into coverage.". Well, there are plenty of examples of players that excelled their first year and then dropped off the face of the earth. Kamerion Wimbley comes to mind. Also, I think that Mike Nolan was a big part of his production last year. I know that Dumervil has been productive his entire career, but just can't see him playing as well as this contract asks him to. But we'll see.. I'll either look like a complete d-bag or a ******* genius in a couple of years.

Timbathia
07-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I think everybody loves the way Dumervil plays, but that doesn't change the fact that they overpaid for him. Most people just seem to assume that he'll automatically mature into a complete OLB because "last year was his first in the 3-4 and he can only get better at setting the edge or dropping back into coverage.". Well, there are plenty of examples of players that excelled their first year and then dropped off the face of the earth. Kamerion Wimbley comes to mind. Also, I think that Mike Nolan was a big part of his production last year. I know that Dumervil has been productive his entire career, but just can't see him playing as well as this contract asks him to. But we'll see.. I'll either look like a complete d-bag or a ******* genius in a couple of years.

Doom is the ONLY player on the Broncos def that opposing offensive coordinators have to fear, or alter their game plan for. That used to be Champ, but not anymore. Elite defensive backs or pass-rushers limit what an offense can do, or would like to do. If the Broncos didnt pay him, and he left, this defense would be significantly worse. Buying in a free agent of his caliber costs just as much as resigning him to this contract, and thats if you can convince them to come to Denver. Add to the fact that he is a stand-up guys and someone for the younger players to model themselves on, and I completely disagree that the Broncos overpaid.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM

Eh. Comparing him to Wimbley is weak. First off, Dumervil has been productive even before this switch and that was as a 43 defensive end, a tougher position for him due to his size and second off, Dumervil was many multitudes better than Wimbley was his rookie year (and this is coming from a Raider fan who hopes Wimbley can produce this season).

Mike Nolan was a big part the Broncos' quick assimilation of the 34 defense, but don't credit him for Dumervil. Nolan doesn't have a history of making pass rusher more productive (Lawson peaked at what, 3 sacks under Nolan?) and Dumervil was around the quarterback constantly last season. It's his motor that made those 17 sacks, not some pixie dust from Nolan.

Did Denver overpay? Perhaps, but in a capless year that criticism carries almost no meaning whatsoever. Would not paying him and letting him walk (to get the same amount of money elsewhere) have been a better decision? **** no.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-25-2010, 07:28 PM
That doesn't even address the fact that you couldn't call Shawne Merriman (when he was dominant), Lamarr Woodley, or even Demarcus Ware "complete" linebackers in all honestly.

Dumervil is a dominant edge rusher and that's all he will ever really be asked to do.

Splat
07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Dumervil is a dominant edge rusher and that's all he will ever really be asked to do.

Agreed.

Why ask him to do anything else when he is such a great pass rusher?

It worked for the Chiefs and DT.

Razor
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
essentially your reasoning boils down to: he's like, totally overpaid because i only looked at last season's stat line and didn't even know who he was prior to that, therefore he can't possibly be any good down the line because he's not demarcus ware.

flawless interpretation of the evidence, but then, i expect yet another reply wherein you again say nothing of value because how can you when you don't actually know what you're talking about.

So essentially your reasoning boils down to: I'm sure you just looked at his stats from last year and furthermore I assume you've never seen the guy play. Classic stuff right there..

Brent
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure this thread boils down to: what this thread boils down to.

Bad Boy
07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Talented player playing for a bad team.

Splat
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Talented player playing for a bad team.

And???????

I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

Bad Boy
07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
And???????

I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

M just sayin...

yourfavestoner
07-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Anybody that says a player got better because of Mike Nolan needs to have their football watching privileges revoked.