PDA

View Full Version : The tight ends thread

Splat
07-24-2010, 08:37 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/22/tightends/index.html

Tight ends may have had a better decade than any position group.

Pretty good read but to long to post check it out if interested.

General Zod
07-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I agree with the majority of the article, its pretty good. The list is good to for the most part. Definitely agree with the players on the list, maybe not so much with where they are ranked. I was surprised(pleasantly) to see Visanthe Shiancoe ranked where he was.

AntoinCD
07-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah had a quick of that earlier. I was mentioning in the future Hall of Famers thread that no position has changed as much as the TE in the last decade or so. Having a real good TE can really open the offense and it's something that has been missing recently in the Patriots offense. Hopefully Gronkowski and Hernandez can come in and really up the level of play.

Bengals78
07-24-2010, 08:46 AM
http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/roster/2010/gresham_jermaine%283%29.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1FKJ3kHOD8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1FKJ3kHOD8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Splat
07-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Ya, I'm not real big on the rankings but article was interesting.

Paul
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
When did a Martellus Bennett become a "Bright Young Star"?

XxXdragonXxX
07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
How do they mention Bennett as a bright young star but not John Carlson?

EDIT: Oh I see they were talking about former basketball players. But still Carlson should have got a mention somewhere.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
When did a Martellus Bennett become a "Bright Young Star"?

The day he got drafted by the cowboys. He also knows how to get all the stains out of a jock strap.

AntoinCD
07-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Or Zach Miller. There are a lot of young promising TEs coming through. In fact I would have Martellus Bennett way down towards the bottom of the up and coming TE list. Not including rookies I would have Miller, Carlson, Finley, Olsen, Keller, Celek, etc all above him

tenorx
07-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I think Heath Miller should be in the top10.

tjsunstein
07-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Watch out for Jermichael Finley.

Splat
07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Watch out for Jermichael Finley.

Why is he coming after me?

tjsunstein
07-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Why is he coming after me?
Yes.
10 mother f'ing characters.

General Zod
07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I think Heath Miller should be in the top10.

Yep he should have.

yourfavestoner
07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I like your tight end, Splat.

Go_Eagles77
07-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Brent Celek <3

SeanTaylorRIP
07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
I'll be the only skins fan to tell you this, Fred Davis>Chris Cooley.

tenorx
07-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I'll be the only skins fan to tell you this, Fred Davis>Chris Cooley.

I'm not a Skins fan, but I totally agree with you. I'd love Davis to step up and be the #1 guy.

RealityCheck
07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Gronkandez <3

Zowie:Ruck Fules
07-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Kellen Winslow is going to rise this year and Freeman will be finding him alot in the endzone.

yo123
07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I think Shiancoe is being slightly overrated here but I have to say his improvement since year one with the Vikings has been amazing. He's gone from being a liability to a huge asset, especially in the red zone.

A Perfect Score
07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Im absolutely shocked that this thread has gone on this long without someone posting a picture of a girl's ass. I mean, come on Splat, you were practically asking for it...

gpngc
07-26-2010, 12:06 AM
The greatest TE decision of all time was when the Jets passed on a chance at Heath Miller by trading for Doug Jolley and a 2nd round pick that they would later use on either Justin Miller or Mike Nugent - I forget which.

That marked the third time in an incredible span where the Steelers somehow (good team at the time) managed to get the best player in the draft at the position they needed the most for four consecutive years...

2003: Troy Polamalu when their biggest need was S.
2004: Big Ben when their biggest need was QB.
2005: Heath Miller at pick #30 because the Jets were stupid when their biggest need was TE.
2006: Santonio Holmes in that crazy draft where he and Chad Jackson were considered the top two at WR.

I know Big Ben is only arguably the top QB in that class. But no need to argue it, you get the point...

AntoinCD
07-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Everyone should take note and mark this down.

Rob Gronkowski will have triple digit TDs this year and also be a better blocker than any offensive lineman in the history of the NFL.

FUNBUNCHER
07-26-2010, 08:59 AM
No doubt, the TE position in the NFL has evolved into an impact player in the pros; it's hard to win consistently if you don't have one who can do damage in the passing game.
A good pass catching TE is a QB's best friend because the coverage on him is usually not as tight as it might be on a WR.

I was a little pissed not to see Chris Cooley listed, but it just goes to show the depth and talent at the position currently in the NFL.

SuperMcGee
07-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Everyone should take note and mark this down.

Rob Gronkowski will have triple digit TDs this year and also be a better blocker than any offensive lineman in the history of the NFL.

Unfortunately, this is all true.

LizardState
07-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Here's hoping Jason Witten gets the lucky bounce this yr, he's due one of those.

When the Romo pass hit his heel & Dallas dropped that inaugural home stadium game a yr. ago to the Giants, everyone said God hates Witten/the Cowboys, etc. You get some lucky bounces & you lose some, law of avgs. or whatever. That play was proof you can be Tony Gonzalez or Witten or The Best TE Ever but the QB has to place the ball in a catchable area for you (not on your heels).

End of rant

ThePudge
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I was going to come in here and put in my homer two cents and I must say I'm glad that everyone else decided to take that route as well. Jermaine Gresham is the NFL's next big star at Tight End and that's not to say Green Bay's Jermichael Finley won't be right there with him with gaudy statistics, creating mismatches all over the field.

For those who haven't kept up with the Bengals (and shame on all of you) Jermaine drew more than your typical raves during rookie camps. They absolutely love this kid and I haven't seen the organization/coaching staff/players get behind a rookie like they are with Gresham. He's going to be something special and I don't think it'll take long. He could potentially have a 7-9 Td year as a rookie as a primary receiver in the red-zone. I get a giddy schoolgirl feeling inside just talking about the guy.

Head coach Marvin Lewis, of course, isn’t as bombastic. But he realizes that a big advantage is that the rookies aren't being asked to do very much.

“We’re not majorly putting them in there and saying, ‘Boy you have to do this from Game One,’ ” Lewis says.

The exception is first-rounder Jermaine Gresham, the Oklahoma tight end that looked too good to be true in the spring. How deep are the Bengals? Lewis jokes that when Gresham couldn’t go in the last practice of the rookie camp, he wondered to tight ends coach Jon Hayes how they could possibly work since Gresham was the only reason they were having the camp.

Marvin Lewis, Bob Bratkowski, and Jonathan Hayes all seem deeply impressed by him & they've shown enthusiasm that they simply did not have when guys like Andre Smith, Keith Rivers, and Leon Hall started working out. Simply put, Jermaine Gresham could be the revelation in the Bengals passing game necessary for them to take a step forward and become Super Bowl contenders.... Let's get football season started already

SuperMcGee
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't think I could be a homer in this thread if I tried. Our best TE of the decade was Riemersma and he left in '02.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I am biased, but the two best AND nicest TEs I got the pleasure of meeting were Gonzo in Atlanta, and Jason W. at a camp run by Coach Garrett. Both were the coolest guys. Gonzo is very friendly and more outgoing while Jason W. is the quiet guy, but equally as nice when you talk to him. Only regret was not getting Jason's autograph. I thought I had time, but he had to leave early.

ThePudge
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't think I could be a homer in this thread if I tried. Our best TE of the decade was Riemersma and he left in '02.

Until this past April you wouldn't have seen me in this thread... Reggie Kelly does not exactly fit what the article describes, but rather is the epitome of that old-school TE. Don't worry, either Shawn Nelson develops nicely or your Bills will grab an effective player somewhere down the line. Props for praising a divisional opponents Tight End (Gronkowski), that's not something many of us could do.

SuperMcGee
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Until this past April you wouldn't have seen me in this thread... Reggie Kelly does not exactly fit what the article describes, but rather is the epitome of that old-school TE. Don't worry, either Shawn Nelson develops nicely or your Bills will grab an effective player somewhere down the line. Props for praising a divisional opponents Tight End (Gronkowski), that's not something many of us could do.

There's honestly two decent pass catching tight ends on the roster. Nelson certainly has higher potential that meets the idea of this thread, but Derek Schouman looked like the perfect tight end for Trent Edwards last year. They were part of the same rookie class in '07 and Schouman looked really good on the intermediate routes over the middle and short outs off of the line. He loves to run with the ball and fight for yards, which might not be the best thing given his frailty. Schouman put up 9 catches for 100+ yards in 7 quarters of football last season before inevitably getting injured. He doesn't have the physical tools of Nelson, but he's a decent player that was a definite favorite target of Edwards in the early part of last season, when we didn't look awful. He's also less than 6 months older than Nelson despite entering his 4th year in the league.

Nelson had a very quiet rookie year, which is understandable, even if he had no competition after Schouman went on IR. I think either could do decent damage as a pass catcher, but the position is far from a strength in a weak offense.

CC.SD
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm gonna plaster this guy all over this thread

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/08/09/postcard.chargers/p1_gates_si.jpg

Isn't it funny how ridiculously good at football I am Ladainian?

http://www.unlockedsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/antonio_gates.jpg

OMG I am such a beast

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/Bobbybjs1992/AntonioGates.jpg

I don't think I've ever lost to the Raiders, maybe my rookie year when Drew sucked choad

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kwb7b9TCvj1qzms5to1_400.jpg

One time I shat on John Lynch it was awesome

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qjCoAi_O8oE/SjASLPIHJAI/AAAAAAAABrM/2sH3MVyMWwo/s400/AntonioGates.jpg

That Ram has a huge contract now because I touched him

http://bolttalk.com/images/chargersvcolts01.jpg

Everyone sucks but me I'm Mr. Gates!