PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2010 Colts Preseason Thread

Philliez01
07-24-2010, 05:19 PM
We should all be pumped. Summer is reaching its midpoint and football is not too far away with Training Camps opening up. Let's get some buzz going on in here.

Questions.

1)-Besides Hughes, which rookie are you expecting to make the biggest impact?

2)-What type of impact will Anthony Gonzalez make this season...if ever as a Colt?

3)-Pick one guy who you think could come out of nowhere (or relative obscurity) and be a decent backup/starter/etc.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-25-2010, 12:57 PM
1) Angerer is the easiest pick so i'll roll with it. Another i hope is Brody Eldridge is his blocking skills are as good as they say
2) With Collie and Garcon no need to rush him. I'd say 500 yards with 3 TD's
3) Even with a deep wide receiver core i hope Blair White can have some impact.

Seamus2602
07-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Eldridge. He won't put up huge stats but will allow the Colts to return to the two Tight End sets that we ran so well in the past. Look at the Superbowl season and look how many big plays the likes of Dan Klecko, Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher had. Eldridge will be like that. He will be a great blocker (including maybe some from the Full Back position) but will also catch 10-15 important First Down or Touchdown passes this season.

2)-What type of impact will Anthony Gonzalez make this season...if ever as a Colt?

It depends on his fitness and how he compares to the other guys. The problem is that Austin Collie had a statistically far superior Rookie season than what Gonzo did. In fact Collie was better last season in Receptions, Yards and Touchdowns than Gonzalez was in his second year. Garcon was better in all but catches this year than Gonzo was last year. But Gonzo's talent is obvious. It depends on Training Camp. Gonzo could start this season. He could also be the 4th Receiver on the depth chart and play sparingly.

3)-Pick one guy who you think could come out of nowhere (or relative obscurity) and be a decent backup/starter/etc.

Don't rule out the likes of Mitch King or Ricardo Mathews from generating good interior rushes.

Seamus2602
07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
2) With Collie and Garcon no need to rush him. I'd say 500 yards with 3 TD's

See I don't know if there will be enough plays for that. Last season the Wide Receivers took 3,260 snaps between them, out of 1,254 Offensive snaps. Thats an average of around 2.6 WRs a snap. With the return of the two TE set it will reduce that further. Remember for every snap that Eldridge takes Collie or Gonzo won't take one. Last season we played the two TE set around 35% of the time. I could see that going up to 40-50% of the snaps. At 50% it reduces the number of WR plays by around 200. So it would now mean that there are 3,000 Wide Receiver snaps. Based on past performance Gonzo would need 400-500 snaps to reach those targets. Baskett gone frees up 100 snaps which means that you would need to reduce Wayne, Collie and Garcon's snaps by 500-600 snaps.

MaxV
07-26-2010, 03:15 PM

I'll go with Brandon James as a Kick Returner. I think James should win that spot and could be a good one.

He'll see the field. I know that Collie and Garcon deserve playing time, but I doubt that they'll bury Gonzo on the depth chart.

I don't expect great numbers from him (too many weapons), but as long as he contributes whenever he is out there, I'll be happy.

How about Tony Ugoh as a guard?

Overall, I view O-Line and interior D-Line as our biggest weaknesses. So hopefully, they'll be players that step up and make contributions there.

MaxV
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Also, Brett Swenson might make an impact this season, if Adam V. can't go.

killxswitch
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM

I'm going with Eldridge. If they use Eldridge the right way Addai could have 1500 yards from scrimmage this year.

I don't think it will be much impact at all, honestly. I don't trust his body to hold up. Maybe that is pessimistic but I am fine with him as the best WR4 in the league.

I was a huge Mitch King fan in the 09 draft so he's my pick.

MaxV
07-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I hope King and Mathews can give us pass-rush out of the middle.

Here's one of my questions:

What are your predictions for the starting O-Line in 2010?

killxswitch
07-28-2010, 07:16 AM
What are your predictions for the starting O-Line in 2010?

A lot of people are predicting a similar OL to last year. Saturday, Diem, and CJ in their same spots as last year, with Devann and Pollack probably starting at guard. I don't think so. I will boldly predict that Saturday and Devann are the only starters to return to their same positions this season.

MaxV
07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
A lot of people are predicting a similar OL to last year. Saturday, Diem, and CJ in their same spots as last year, with Devann and Pollack probably starting at guard. I don't think so. I will boldly predict that Saturday and Devann are the only starters to return to their same positions this season.

Well, that is a bold statement. It is a gamble to install new starters at both OT spots.

No more Diem and CJ as starters?

Who do you think will start at the remaining spots?

Seamus2602
07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Personally I don't see Charlie Johnson losing his spot. We need to bring in a new Left Guard this season with Lilja out so I don't think that Caldwell, Christensen or Metzelaars will want to completely revamp the left hand side of the line. I think that Charlie Johnson is safe, Jeff Saturday is safe and the only way that Ryan Diem doesn't start is if Adam Terry beats him out of it.

Left Tackle: Charlie Johnson
Left Guard:
Center: Jeff Saturday
Right Guard:
Right Tackle: Ryan Diem/Adam Terry

The remaining players are:

Jacques McClendon
Jamey Richard
Tony Ugoh
Andy Alleman
Jaimie Thomas
Kyle DeVan
Mike Pollak

From those 7 players they need to get the two starters and it could be, in all reality, any of the 7. They will add a swing Tackle (I'm thinking Ugoh if he doesn't win a Guard spot but possibly Cadogan), the loser between Diem and Terry, and then two backup interior line positions. So those 7 players are battling out for potentially 4 or 5 spots. Any of the 7 could possibly start but 2 or 3 will probably be cut.

I'm thinking it will be McClendon and Pollak, with DeVan and Alleman as backups, cutting Richard and putting Thomas on the PS.

So the lineup will be:

Left Tackle: Charlie Johnson
Left Guard: Jacques McClendon
Center: Jeff Saturday
Right Guard: Mike Pollak
Right Tackle: Ryan Diem

Backups:

Adam Terry
Tony Ugoh
Kyle DeVan
Andy Alleman

MaxV
07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Pollak again?

I thought the goal was to get stronger inside. Pollak was getting pushed around like a rug doll.

I would say Devan is better.

Seamus2602
07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Pollak again?

I thought the goal was to get stronger inside. Pollak was getting pushed around like a rug doll.

I would say Devan is better.

Not a lot of it was Pollak's fault. It's just easier to bench Mike Pollak than to bench Jeff Saturday. Pollak's worst games last season were against Arizona (who play a 3-4) and San Francisco (who play a 3-4). When playing against the 3-4 the Left Guard kicks over the help out the Left Tackle on the Right End, while the Right Guard helps the Center against the Nose Tackle. Pollak played badly in those games but Saturday played so much worse and Pollak took the fall for it. In the other games he played last year I though he wasn't brilliant in the run game but was decent. He is also a much better pass blocker than DeVan.

DeVan was also awful in the post season.

killxswitch
07-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Well, that is a bold statement. It is a gamble to install new starters at both OT spots.

No more Diem and CJ as starters?

Who do you think will start at the remaining spots?

Against my better judgment I am expecting Ugoh to pull his head out of his butt this year and take back a starting spot, perhaps at OT. I think Diem could start but as part of the bold nature of my predictions I think it will be at guard, if anywhere. With him getting abused by Derrick Burgess and Leonard Little last year, and with teams having two viable speed rushers, one on either edge, I think Diem's best days at OT are two years behind him and fading fast.

Seamus I agree with you that Saturday's play last year, especially early on in the season, was very poor. However, he did improve as the year went on and I still haven't seen enough from Pollack to think he warrants a starting spot anywhere. Maybe some light will come on for him in camp this year but with a year in the system and his effort and attitude I don't think there's any way Devan loses his job to Pollack. I also don't think the coaching staff would make another player "take the fall" to save another player's pride.

Seamus2602
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Against my better judgment I am expecting Ugoh to pull his head out of his butt this year and take back a starting spot, perhaps at OT. I think Diem could start but as part of the bold nature of my predictions I think it will be at guard, if anywhere. With him getting abused by Derrick Burgess and Leonard Little last year, and with teams having two viable speed rushers, one on either edge, I think Diem's best days at OT are two years behind him and fading fast.

Seamus I agree with you that Saturday's play last year, especially early on in the season, was very poor. However, he did improve as the year went on and I still haven't seen enough from Pollack to think he warrants a starting spot anywhere. Maybe some light will come on for him in camp this year but with a year in the system and his effort and attitude I don't think there's any way Devan loses his job to Pollack. I also don't think the coaching staff would make another player "take the fall" to save another player's pride.

According to team sources both Ugoh and Pollak are playing a lot better this season. Theres a new Offensive Line Coach who may have a different way of motivating players, different styles etc. Also remember that DeVan wasn't great either and was awful in the playoffs, easily the Colts worst starter in the playoffs.

Dam8610
07-30-2010, 02:18 AM

I think the one with the best chance to make an impact straightaway is Jacques McClendon. OG is wide open, so he could start Day 1. Considering the other candidates:

Pat Angerer: Will not win the SLB spot as he's clearly a coverage LB (probably Brackett's projected replacement), so he's not likely to start this year
Kevin Thomas: Out for Season
Brody Eldridge: Unless he bulks up and starts playing LT, he's not going to play other than short yardage situations at FB.
Ricardo Mathews: Should see some PT, but not likely to contribute as much as a starting OG.
Kavell Conner: Probably a special teamer or practice squad player this year.
Ray Fisher: At best a KR/PR, doubt he can win the dimeback spot even with Thomas down for the year.

I'd say McClendon is the clear favorite when not considering Hughes.

If he stays healthy, he might have a breakout year. He showed flashes in his 2nd season, and was going to get his opportunity to breakout last year...before his season ended in Week 1. I doubt he's lost any route running ability or agility, and those were by far the two things that made him most successful in the past.

I really like the potential of Andrew Tyshovnytsky, and with the way the OL will likely be completely open in training camp, he might find a starting spot. With enough coaching, he might eventually even make a solid LT.

Seamus2602
07-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Brody Eldridge: Unless he bulks up and starts playing LT, he's not going to play other than short yardage situations at FB.

The last time the Colts had any semblance of a running game they played a majority of the time out of the two TE set. Eldridge will be the impact player I think this year. He will replace Gijon Robinson at TE, will take snaps at TE, H-Back and short yardage situation at FB. Don't rule out Eldridge playing well over half the snaps next season.

Dam8610
07-30-2010, 12:24 PM
The last time the Colts had any semblance of a running game they played a majority of the time out of the two TE set. Eldridge will be the impact player I think this year. He will replace Gijon Robinson at TE, will take snaps at TE, H-Back and short yardage situation at FB. Don't rule out Eldridge playing well over half the snaps next season.

I easily rule this scenario out for this reason: Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Joseph Addai, Donald Brown. Two of those players already have to be off the field on every down, so which three of those players are you going to take off the field for 50+% of the snaps to give that PT to Eldridge?

Seamus2602
07-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I easily rule this scenario out for this reason: Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Joseph Addai, Donald Brown. Two of those players already have to be off the field on every down, so which three of those players are you going to take off the field for 50+% of the snaps to give that PT to Eldridge?

Well Addai and Brown were never on the same field last year so I don't imagine that will change this year. Last year Gijon Robinson took 30% of the snaps for the Colts. Tom Santi took another 5%. Theres 35% just to start with. Cody Glenn or Eric Foster took 5% of the snaps as well. Theres 40%. Are you telling me they couldn't trim back on the 3 WR set by 10% to push Eldridge over the 50% mark?

Dam8610
07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Well Addai and Brown were never on the same field last year so I don't imagine that will change this year. Last year Gijon Robinson took 30% of the snaps for the Colts. Tom Santi took another 5%. Theres 35% just to start with. Cody Glenn or Eric Foster took 5% of the snaps as well. Theres 40%. Are you telling me they couldn't trim back on the 3 WR set by 10% to push Eldridge over the 50% mark?

If they were trying to get Eldridge that much playing time, no, but you're assuming quite a bit here. For one thing, you're assuming that he's already 2nd string on the TE depth chart, and that he will not only eat all the snaps that two TEs took last year, but also all the snaps of Anthony Gonzalez (since he played all of one quarter last year). More importantly, you're assuming they're going to make an effort to get a 5th round rookie on the field over more proven and talented veterans.

UKfan
08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
PFT is reporting we have just picked up Deshea Townsend...

Seamus2602
08-02-2010, 06:09 AM
The signing of Townsend solidyifies one of the minor weaknesses on the team, the depth at the Cornerback position. Going into this season the Dimeback was going to be either Melvin Bullitt (coming out of the Big Nickle) or Ray Fisher or Terrail Lambert. By adding Townsend it gives the Colts a 4th Cornerback with actual playing experience, a great defensive back playmaker (something the Colts have lacked in Bob Sanders abscence) and allows the likes of Fisher to spend more time focusing on the Return Game and Special Teams.

killxswitch
08-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Townsend as a CB4 is a great signing IMO. Let's hope he never sees the field in meaningful game minutes, but if he does I feel better about that than I would have one of the rookies (Thomas included, what a waste).

When Townsend was with the Steelers, didn't they tend to play more man coverage and not so much zone?

Seamus2602
08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Apparently the 4 Offensive Line Starters from last season took first team snaps today, with Jamey Richard starting at Left Guard.

Seamus2602
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
When Townsend was with the Steelers, didn't they tend to play more man coverage and not so much zone?

Yeah, the Steelers played a lot of Cover 2 Man, with the Safeties droping into a Cover 2 and the underneath guys maning up. The Colts played some of that last year though, with Larry Coyer moving away from the traditional Tampa 2.

killxswitch
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah, the Steelers played a lot of Cover 2 Man, with the Safeties droping into a Cover 2 and the underneath guys maning up. The Colts played some of that last year though, with Larry Coyer moving away from the traditional Tampa 2.

Yeah that's why I was asking. Despite evidence to the contrary Polian insisted the CBs would continue to play zone. So this signing seems to be further evidence that the Colts want their corners to play man more under Coyer.

Seamus2602
08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah that's why I was asking. Despite evidence to the contrary Polian insisted the CBs would continue to play zone. So this signing seems to be further evidence that the Colts want their corners to play man more under Coyer.

The Colts primarily manned up last year when they blitzed, which was less than 5% of the plays. This year I expect the Colts to still play the Cover 2 with underneath zones about 90% of the time. They will man up sometimes but not very often.

Dam8610
08-03-2010, 06:37 PM
The Colts primarily manned up last year when they blitzed, which was less than 5% of the plays. This year I expect the Colts to still play the Cover 2 with underneath zones about 90% of the time. They will man up sometimes but not very often.

The Colts actually blitzed 23.9% of the time last year. Proof. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtIUcVsAFIpi_Iv6O09vXi1DubYF?slug=ys-undersurveillancecolts072210) That article sucks as a whole (run defense was far from the Colts problem in 2009), but it does have some nice raw data in it.

Seamus2602
08-04-2010, 04:58 AM
The Colts actually blitzed 23.9% of the time last year. Proof. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtIUcVsAFIpi_Iv6O09vXi1DubYF?slug=ys-undersurveillancecolts072210) That article sucks as a whole (run defense was far from the Colts problem in 2009), but it does have some nice raw data in it.

It sure as hell didn't seem that often.

killxswitch
08-04-2010, 07:43 AM
It sure as hell didn't seem that often.

I thought we even talked last year about how weird it was to see Brackett blitzing so much, and how surprising it was that he was fairly effective at it. Not many sacks but he did bring some pressure.

MaxV
08-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I gotta be honest.

I'm very underwhelmed by our O-Line options. I hope players will step up.

killxswitch
08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I gotta be honest.

I'm very underwhelmed by our O-Line options. I hope players will step up.

So am I. We know what we're going to get with CJ, Saturday, and Diem. And in recent years that hasn't been much. I expect a bit of improvement from Devan since he'll have a full offseason and multiple games under his belt. There is some hope that McClendon is a pleasant surprise. Overall there just isn't much to get excited about.

What do you guys think about Bob Sanders' chances? I am still taking the wait-and-see approach and I expect he'll probably miss some significant time, but he's been a lot more available to the media and a lot more vocal, and of course he is also out there practicing instead of in the training room. This is kind of a contract year for him since his salary goes way up after this year. So it's put up or shut up time. If he can play even at 90% of where he was in 2007 the Colts defense could be pretty exciting this year.

Seamus2602
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
So am I. We know what we're going to get with CJ, Saturday, and Diem. And in recent years that hasn't been much. I expect a bit of improvement from Devan since he'll have a full offseason and multiple games under his belt. There is some hope that McClendon is a pleasant surprise. Overall there just isn't much to get excited about.

According to a number of pundets DeVan isn't currently penciled in for the starting job. According to some the current starters are Pollak at Right Guard and Ugoh at Left Guard.

killxswitch
08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
According to a number of pundets DeVan isn't currently penciled in for the starting job. According to some the current starters are Pollak at Right Guard and Ugoh at Left Guard.

I don't buy it. We'll see though.

MaxV
08-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I renamed this thread.

It might as well be our pre-season thread.

killxswitch
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Mediocre article with some interesting quotes from Ugoh: http://tribstar.com/sports/x2064739806/Colts-Training-Camp-Tony-Ugoh-helping-out-wherever-he-s-needed

He obviously didn't like Mudd and likes Metzelaars more. He is also apparently taking quote lessons from Dwight Freeney. "At the end of the day..."

Caldwell's comments were typical Colts coachspeak. He learned it well from Dungy. He did say he's still waiting for Ugoh to play up to his potential and that if he did that he'd be helping the team.

Caldwell also likes the heat and thinks it will help down the road.

RagingColt
08-06-2010, 07:54 AM
McClendon has been working as the backup center in training camp, a position he's never played before. Bobzilla has to play the bulk of the year or I think he'll be cut at the end of the year. On D, Bullitt, Bethea, and Bob have all been on the field at the same time, sounds like Bullitt might play more as a nickel back this year if Bob can stay healthy. Sounds like the Colts want the best players on the field.

killxswitch
08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
McClendon has been working as the backup center in training camp, a position he's never played before. Bobzilla has to play the bulk of the year or I think he'll be cut at the end of the year. On D, Bullitt, Bethea, and Bob have all been on the field at the same time, sounds like Bullitt might play more as a nickel back this year if Bob can stay healthy. Sounds like the Colts want the best players on the field.

Dimeback maybe, and nickel if one of the starting 3 CBs gets hurt. But I doubt he'd play in Lacey's place as the CB3. I like Bullit but he is not a corner.

MaxV
08-07-2010, 01:11 PM
CJ is hurt apparently. No word as to how serious. Linkenbach has been 1st team LT in his spot and hasn't look good.

It really sounds like O-Line is BY FAR our biggest weakness.

Everywhere else, various players have apparently been impressive.

UKfan
08-08-2010, 05:02 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/08/08/colts.player.arrested.ap/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indianapolis police have arrested Colts defensive lineman John Gill (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/9684) after finding him passed out in a ditch on the side of a road about 4 a.m. Sunday.
In the police report, Officer Ricardo Flores Jr. says he called out to Gill, who tried to stand up, but couldn't and kept falling over. Flores says he eventually leaned Gill against his police car to keep him from falling.

Uh oh for Gill...

killxswitch
08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
He wasn't going to make the team anyway.

I am much more concerned about CJ.

killxswitch
08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Ugh! Now Saturday is having cleanup knee surgery. Great timing on that one guys, good job.

MaxV
08-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Oh man, I REALLY hope our O-Line surprises us and plays well this season.

As of right now, it doesn't look good.

chad72
08-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I am more confident that with the plethora of guys that can play center and guard that we may be able to get by without Saturday for a game or two at the beginning of the season but LT, not so sure. Even paid grownups respond to different coaches differently, let us hope that is the case with Ugoh and he does not play like he played against Kyle Vanden Bosch in the first Titans game last year, which was real bad. CJ, it would have been his second full year at LT and normally LTs improve with time, Tarik Glenn was never that good till he had a few years under his belt even though he was a top 20 pick. Eldridge, I repeat, could not have been drafted in a more appropriate year. At worst, we will be confined, despite our WR depth, to play more 2 TE formations, to enable Eldridge to help Ugoh with both pass and run blocking on Manning's left, and Addai can pick up the extra blitzer, if there is one from the middle or right. I think we can make it work if CJ were to miss some extended time.

If CJ, Saturday and Diem were all healthy, it would have given us a big boost for working on cohesion as the year went on but I guess cohesion will have to wait. I feel Richard will fill in for Saturday just fine or if Pollak goes back to his college position of center, Richard will still do fine at LG. Richard did fine filling in for Saturday as center briefly in 2008 and then was starting to do better replacing an injured Lilja in 2008 as guard and then Lilja got his job back since he did know the offense better. I like Richard's toughness more than Pollak or DeVan, IMO and with another year under his belt, I think he won't disappoint.

Maybe, it will be a year like 2008, where we start slow; maybe not as slow since Manning is healthy and so are his bursa sacs :-), more like 6-2 instead of 4-4 the first 8 games in 2008 before the brutal November stretch.

Besides, this is the best D-line I have seen in the Manning era with Moala having a terrific camp backing up Mookie and Muir. Then Chick and Hughes backing up Freeney and Mathis, our D-line rotation finally has as much quality as quantity and I expect them to win us a few games early in the season till our O and O-line get gelling.

killxswitch
08-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Here are some impressions from the first preseason game:

Offense

- Manning looked good, as expected.
- The top WRs that played all looked good, including Gonzo. I think he had a dropped pass but overall he ran routes well and looked healthy.
- Tamme and especially the rookie Eldridge looked good. He looked like a guard running routes. Good hands too.
- The OL looked awful. I am very concerned about it this year and disappointed in the lack of improvement.
- Painter... awful again. Brandestater looked a little better but not good.
- Blair White might be the WR5 this year.
- Addai is still the #1 back for sure. Brown got outplayed by Mike Hart.

Defense

- DL looked decent. With Freeney in and when Hughes gets up to speed they should be beastly. QBs will fall early and often.
- Muir and AJ looked like your average NFL DTs which is fine. Moala seemed improved but still has a ways to go.
- LBs should be fine but Wheeler didn't show the improvement that I expected given some of the comments from coaches and players in camp.
- I am kind of excited about the secondary. I feel good about corner depth and we have 3 healthy starter-caliber safeties, two of which are Pro Bowlers. Jerraud Powers had a great pick and return, he was excellent as a rookie and I think he will be the CB1 eventually.

STs

- McAfee is a boomer. He was a good draft pick.
- Too bad about Silva, he played hard on kick and punt coverage.
- Brandon James is fast enough, I'd like to see him more on returns before declaring him anything. And I don't know if he brings enough to the table as a WR to make he team.

MaxV
08-20-2010, 07:33 AM
So what did you guys think about 2nd preseason game?

Who impressed? Who disappointed?

killxswitch
08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Offense

Manning didn't look good. Some throws were way too low, or out of synch with the receiver, or bad target choices. I think the protection had something to do with it but he also just looked cold. I'm sure he'll be fine but his 3 or 4 series were not very good. He looked better last week with crisper passes and better decisions.

Painter was improved but still not great. He finally threw a TD.

The OL was putrid. Ugoh was getting pushed toward Manning it seemed like every play. Richard and Pollack were both still playing like rookies. Supposedly McClendon looked good but I stopped watching close to halftime so I didn't see him. We definitely need Saturday, Devan, and CJ back. My new OL starters prediction is Saturday at C, CJ and Diem at OT, Devan and I guess McClendon at OG. They have almost no time to gel as a line but the guys available right now are just not going to cut it in real games.

Addai is absolutely the best RB on the team, the clear #1. Brown might have more home run speed but Addai is very well rounded and has run hard in the preseason. He looks stronger than previous years. His blocking has to be top 5 for a RB. He caught the ball well too. If he can stay healthy there's no way Brown takes the starting job from him.

Brown did look a little better but still has work to do. Looked good on one reception but then dropped one. Devon Moore didn't look too bad running the ball. More on him later. Javarris James did some running but I didn't see it.

Both TEs looked good tonight. I'll mention Tamme first, great TD reception and a special teams force. He is a great Clark backup and I think he will start for another team eventually. He is a good receiver. Just not a good blocker.

I have been excited about Brody Eldridge since the draft. So far he has not disappointed. He has caught I think every ball thrown to him and looked good doing it. He reminds me of Ken Dilger with the way he gets YAC by just dragging guys. He is not fast but faster than you'd expect. And his blocking is light years ahead of Gijon Robinson. He is what I hoped Tom Santi would be. If the real OL starters can play like they did last year, I think the addition of Eldridge alone will make Addai a thousand yard back. It's like having a guard running routes on the field. I haven't seen him as a lead blocker yet but I am excited about it too.

Gonzales looked quick but had a tough time catching the ball. Honestly though it was hard to get much of a read on any of the WRs, Manning was not playing well and the backups are not very good. Taj Smith did redeem himself some with two long receptions, the 2nd for a TD, from Painter.

Defense

The starting DL looked FANTASTIC. Mathis stood out, usually for positive things like sacking the helmet off of Trent Edwards and causing backfield chaos. He had some good run stops too though his whiff on CJ Spillers TD run was pretty bad. Oh well, it's preseason. Freeney was fighting through double-team holds as usual and still got consistent pressure, though he did miss a sack with bad body positioning. Muir and big Mook clogged the middle well and pushed the pocket regularly. I am happy with their performance so far.

Eric Foster also had some good plays and applied some interior pressure (I think he had a sack too), he is still a keeper. Apparently Baldwin and, to lesser extents, Matthews and Favorite played well. I thought from last year that Baldwin had some talent and would stick, I think he will knock Dawson off the roster. King, Chick, Hughes, and I guess Dawson have not done much to impress. Chick looked like an idiot on some plays, King hasn't stood out, neither has Hughes (but hey he's a rookie), and I haven't even noticed Dawson being in at all.

Brackett was Brackett, playing smart and making an impact where he's needed. I try to not like him but he makes it hard. Angerer had some noticeable plays but didn't set the world on fire. He's a good player. No other LB really stood out to me. Decent group but no real stars. I am not sure Wheeler is going to be the starter this year at SLB though.

Sanders had some good plays, played fast and had a good hit on Spiller. Mookie Johnson fell on him and Sanders was slow to get up, but I think he just got the wind knocked out of him. Hayden had good coverage at times, one play sticks out where he hung on the receivers hip and knocked the ball away. Bethea as well but his missed tackle on Spiller's TD run was ugly. I am happy with our secondary for sure. I want to mention Townshend, he was a great FA pickup and I'm glad he's on the team. He did well blitzing and in run support, weird to say for a corner but you can see the Pittsburgh toughness in his play, he is a great addition to the team and a fantastic CB4. There was a little too much cushioning which lead to some easy completions but I blame coaching for that. I want that crap to stop.

Special Teams

If this game is any indication, and for STs I think preseason is a fine indicator, Devon Moore will be our punt and kick returner. He was decisive, elusive, tough, and fast. He looked very good on punts and kickoffs. I thought it would be Brandon James but Moore just looked better in this game. He also didn't look too bad running the ball.

Punt and kick coverage looked... ok. Not a lot to say here.

RagingColt
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Sounds like a typical pre season so far for the Colts. They play at GB next Thursday on espn right? Haven't seen any action yet this year.

killxswitch
08-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Well dammit if my blood pressure isn't up. In 2 quarters the Colts have looked white hot one series and like undisplined crap the next. That goes for O and D.

killxswitch
08-27-2010, 08:10 AM
That game was a disaster.

Where are you guys?

RagingColt
08-27-2010, 08:57 AM
In the bathroom crying after that cluster #&*$. Horrible tackling, lack of focus and turnovers galore, it was like watching the '08 Lions. What the hell happened to Jerry Hughes? He got pawned by TEs who won't make the Packers roster. James muffed his way off the roster. The return game blocking still blows chunks and our blitzes were useless. Rodgers is a great QB, but the D made him look Montana like last night. It's only pre-season but giving up 59 any time in the NFL is un acceptable.

Yeah, the NFL needs to put the umpire back behind the LBs, it screws up the entire timing of our hurry up. Ugh.

RCAChainGang
08-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I think this game was pathetic.
Some good things to take away from that however
-run defense
-Angerer
-Colin Cloherty had a surprising catch and run.

The new rule is frustrating. I hope they get it fixed.

Shiver
08-29-2010, 01:48 PM
What's the 411 on Anthony Gonzalez? Is he going to be the primary slot receiver?

killxswitch
08-29-2010, 02:11 PM
What's the 411 on Anthony Gonzalez? Is he going to be the primary slot receiver?

I assume you're looking for fantasy advice. I wouldn't touch him too early. Wayne will of course be WR1, and Garcon will probably take most of his snaps, however many there are, out wide. Beyond that the thought it Garcon, Collie, and Gonzo will move around and all be used. Unless one of them really proves something early I don't think any of the 3 of them are a good WR1 or 2 choice. Any of them would be a good WR3.

Shiver
08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, I am talking my 7th WR here. Just a golden lottery ticket really.

I was always curious though, because last year I thought he was going to be the breakout player and he went down to that phantom knee injury. They kept saying he was coming back and he kept on not coming back. what was the deal with that?

MaxV
08-29-2010, 02:21 PM
No mystery really. He had multiple setbacks.

It's a good problem to have for the Colts, but for fantasy owners, the 3-way platoon of Gonzo, Garcon and Collie will only water down their numbers.

Plus, don't be surprised if Colts use more 2-TE sets with Eldridge as an extra blocker to help the running game.

RagingColt
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Anyone live close enough to Indy to watch the game vs. the Bengals tonight? Most of the A-line starters don't play this game, but still some roster spots up for grabs. The KR and PR situations still seem undecided.

killxswitch
09-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I didn't watch it. I kind of wanted to but I just had other things I had to do. Strangely Brandon James caught 3 TD passes.

Seamus2602
09-03-2010, 04:58 AM
QB - 18 - Peyton Manning
QB - 5 - Tom Brandstater

RB - 29 - Joseph Addai
RB - 31 - Donald Brown
RB - 32 - Mike Hart
RB - 45 - Devin Moore

WR - 87 - Reggie Wayne
WR - 85 - Pierre Garçon
WR - 17 - Austin Collie
WR - 11 - Anthony Gonzalez
WR - 15 - Blair White

TE - 44 - Dallas Clark
TE - 81 - Brody Eldridge
TE - 84 - Jacob Tamme

LT - 74 - Charlie Johnson
LT - 72 - Jeff Linkenbach

LG - 67 - Tony Ugoh
LG - 78 - Mike Pollak
LG - 73 - Jaimie Thomas

C - 63 - Jeff Saturday
C - 61 - Jamey Richard

RG - 66 - Kyle DeVan
RG - 65 - Jacques McClendon

RT - 71 - Ryan Diem

DE - 93 - Dwight Freeney
DE - 98 - Robert Mathis
DE - 92 - Jerry Hughes
DE - 97 - John Chick

DT - 90 - Daniel Muir
DT - 95 - Fili Moala
DT - 99 - Antonio Johnson
DT - 68 - Eric Foster
DT - 91 - Ricardo Mathews
DT - 75 - Mitch King

WLB - 55 - Clint Session
WLB - 59 - Ramon Humber

MLB - 58 - Gary Brackett
MLB - 51 - Pat Angerer

SLB - 50 - Philip Wheeler
SLB - 49 - Vuna Tuihalamaka

CB - 26 - Kelvin Hayden
CB - 25 - Jerraud Powers
CB - 27 - Jacob Lacey
CB - 23 - Deshea Townsend
CB - 28 - Ray Fisher
CB - 34 - Terrail Lambert

FS - 41 - Antoine Bethea
FS - 38 - Mike Newton

SS - 21 - Bob Sanders
SS - 33 - Melvin Bullitt

PK - 4 - Adam Vinatieri
P - 1 - Pat McAfee
LS - 48 - Justin Snow

MaxV
09-03-2010, 07:29 AM
10 O-linemen is too many. Linkenbach will be on PS, i think.

Favorite has made a case for himself also. Brandon James has also.

I think 2 of Tuihalamaka, Conner and Glenn will make it.

Seamus2602
09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
10 O-linemen is too many. Linkenbach will be on PS, i think.

Favorite has made a case for himself also. Brandon James has also.

I think 2 of Tuihalamaka, Conner and Glenn will make it.

I think last night Brandon James made a bit of a case for himself but it came down to him or Fisher. I liked Favorite but the problem was that there were 3 spots for him, King and Matthews. Matthews brings greater versatility and I think King has been better than Favorite.

We carried, for the most part, 9 Offensive Linemen last year and that was with the Starter position locked down at one Guard position. This year we don't have a sure fire starter at either Guard position. We have two injury prone starting Tackles and their principle backup, if we cut Linkenbach, will be the probable starter at Left Guard.

MaxV
09-03-2010, 07:58 AM
You are hurting Special Teams coverage unit by carrying too many slow, 300+ lbs players.

I think we carry more then 6 LBs.

Seamus2602
09-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I would say that if we take less than 10 O-Linemen then it will be Thomas and not Linkenbach who will be put on the Practice Squad. If Ugoh is the starter at Left Guard and the team cut Linkenbach then it leaves absolutely no cover at Tackle, with two injury prone players at both Tackle spots.

I could see Kavell Conner making the team as a replacement for one of those Linemen (I really haven't been impressed by Glenn in training camp or preseason). Personally, if it was purely for Special Teams, I wouldn't bring in a new Linebacker to replace the Linemen. I'd bring in Giguere instead. He's probably been the team's best Gunner during Preseason.

MaxV
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, from what I've heard, Jamie Thomas has looked good at camp, especially in run-blocking.

But I do agree that we have virtually no depth at OT.

chad72
09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Erwin Baldwin has played better than King and Favorite this pre-season, IMO. His relentless motor in pursuit of RBs from the back or pass rushing from the edge has led me to believe we carry 5 DEs since Jerry Hughes is still learning.

DEs - Freeney, Mathis, Chick, Hughes, Baldwin

DTs - Mookie, Muir, Moala, Foster, one of Mitch King/Marlon Favorite/Ricardo Mathews

Brandon James has not stood out in the return dept., the fact that we are stacked at WR goes against him while the fact that we are thin at CB favors Ray Fisher, IMO. Plus, Brandon James has struggled holding on to balls in traffic and he is what 5'6", 5'7"? He is not a natural wideout, and it shows. Plus, I get flashbacks of the Colts cutting Courtney Roby for a fumble during a return. Good that he turned things around while playing for the Saints but he did not do well for the Colts, that is the bottom line. So, that muffed punt against Packers starters is a big checkmark against Brandon James, those will be the kind of players he will be going against. Plus, I really doubt Brandon James would catch those TD passes against starting CBs in the league that he did yesterday. Too much of a limited role for him.

Blair White played ST as a hands/coverage guy too and given that we had WRs go down 2 times in the last 3 years (Harrison in 2007 & Gonzo in 2009), I'd rather have a 5th WR that can at least move the chains with reliable hands than agonize over dropped balls from Aaron Moorehead and Hank Baskett that stalled drives, like we did in 2007 & 2009.

AntoinCD
09-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Taj Smith has torn his hamstring, won't be on the 53, while Ray Fisher, Adam Terry And Marlon Favorite have been cut.

PS: This is actual Seamus2602. Accidentaly signed in as my brother's account.

chad72
09-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Brandon James, Mike Newton, Colin Cloherty have all been cut.

Seamus2602
09-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Apparently the team have also cut Blair White.

killxswitch
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Apparently the team have also cut Blair White.

Only 4 WRs on active roster. I think Tamme will be used as a WR5.

redviper311
09-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Colts 2010 Practice Squad:

Newton, Mike, DB, 5-10, 197, R, Buffalo
Brown, Cornelius, DB, 5-11, 198, R, Texas-El Paso
Chick, John, DE, 6-4, 248, 1, Utah State
James, Brandon, KR, 5-7, 176, R, Florida
Fulton, Xavier, OT, 6-5, 301, 2, Illinois
Brandstater, Tom, QB, 6-5, 223, 2, Fresno State
White, Blair, WR, 6-2, 205, R, Michigan State
Arnett, Alric, WR, 6-2, 189, R, West Virginia

All in all I am happy we retained all these guys

Seamus2602
09-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm pretty happy with the Practice Squad. It holds a couple of guys I though should have made the 53, like Tom Brandstater, Blair White and John Chick, as well as bringing in Xavier Fulton, who as a prospect I was quite keen on a couple of years ago.

MaxV
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I started the 2010 Season thread.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42686