PDA

View Full Version : 2010/2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hines
07-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Football is a little under a week away! I love the fact that we are under the radar right now. Hines Ward said it best: "When noone gives us a chance, we win the Super Bowl. If people say we are going to win it, we miss the playoffs."

Now I'm not going to say it's going to be easy. We are without three of our best offensive players in Ben, Colon, and Tone. If we somehow make it 2-2 when Ben gets back, I think he could come back pissed off.

Discuss all things Pittsburgh Steelers in this thread!

Hines
07-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Is anyone going to Training Camp this year? I know for certain I'm going once, but I might go again earlier.

brat316
07-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Yeah lets go this.

DeathbyStat
07-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Is anyone going to Training Camp this year? I know for certain I'm going once, but I might go again earlier.

I go every year

Hines
07-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I go every year

I'll for sure be going to the night practice. When you going?

Jakey
07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Who are you guys looking forward to watch play this camp/preseason/season?

Out of the Rookies im intersted to see how, Pouncey, Dwyer, Sylvester, and the wideouts do.

- Pouncey to see if he's ready to step in and play, either at guard or center.
- Dwyer to see if he is as good in pads as he was in the OTA's. And to see his goaline/short yardage skills.
- Sylvester to see if he is as good a special teams player as he looks in his highlight vids.
- Sanders and Brown to see if either can step up fast enough to replace Wallace's role from last year, and keep the defences from double teaming Wallace and Hines...Randle El and Battle just arent explosive enough to warrant defences to worry.

It'll be interesting to see the competition between Worilds ad Gibson, im sure theyll be pushing each other, but i dont expect either to stand out that much in the early stages.

What you guys think?

Mr. Goosemahn
07-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Who are you guys looking forward to watch play this camp/preseason/season?

Out of the Rookies im intersted to see how, Pouncey, Dwyer, Sylvester, and the wideouts do.

- Pouncey to see if he's ready to step in and play, either at guard or center.
- Dwyer to see if he is as good in pads as he was in the OTA's. And to see his goaline/short yardage skills.
- Sylvester to see if he is as good a special teams player as he looks in his highlight vids.
- Sanders and Brown to see if either can step up fast enough to replace Wallace's role from last year, and keep the defences from double teaming Wallace and Hines...Randle El and Battle just arent explosive enough to warrant defences to worry.

It'll be interesting to see the competition between Worilds ad Gibson, im sure theyll be pushing each other, but i dont expect either to stand out that much in the early stages.

What you guys think?

Yeah, definitely interested in seeing those guys.

Also Summers to see if he developed at all, Foster, J. Scott, and the guy we signed at RT, and both Foote and McFadden to see how fast they re-adapt to our defense.

Hines
07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm looking forward to all the young corners and how the develop.

Jakey
07-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Apparently there is allot of intrigue around Ramon Foster within the organisation, and allot of scouts already believe he will win the starting RT job.

The signing of Adrian Jones is solely for depth at the RG spot.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh, I also want to see how Demetrius Taylor does. Hopefully we found our next good run-blocking FB.

Hines
07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
There is always ones UDFA to make the team. I think Taylor is that guy.

Hines
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/July-2010/Wood-Be-Gentleman/

A very nice story about Woodley. He's creeping up my list of favorite players.

tenorx
07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/July-2010/Wood-Be-Gentleman/

A very nice story about Woodley. He's creeping up my list of favorite players.

He is already my No. 2 player, but he can't beat Polamalu out. By the way he is making a fantasy league, you can try your luck on his facebook page :)

Hines
07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes I saw that. I might make a video and try and get in that. Haha.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes I saw that. I might make a video and try and get in that. Haha.

Make a montage like JBond's. Except talk about him being awesome.

K Train
07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Wasting no time, Woodley tossed his suitcase into his SUV and tore up I-80 heading north. He drove for hours

his ass is still driving if he was trying to go north on I-80

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 12:03 PM
So do you guys think we'll get both Pouncey and Worilds signed for camp? It would be the first time in a long time that a rookie would not be there for the start of TC.

K Train
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
i would assume so, it would be laughable if worilds held out...rare to see a second rounder hold out, and i dont think worilds was great value at that slot anyway.

id be surprised if pouncey wasnt in on time, it might rely on iupati's deal alot though

Hines
07-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I think Worilds' deal has been delayed because he wanted to see what Lee got.

Hines
07-26-2010, 12:13 PM
I think Worilds' deal has been delayed because he wanted to see what Lee got

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Post *****! POST *****! Lol, jk jk.

Yeah, and I was also reading that there are actually very few first round picks that have already signed. Makes it even more surprising that Bryant is one of them.

K Train
07-26-2010, 12:33 PM
who else is signed besides bryant?

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 12:36 PM
who else is signed besides bryant?

Wow, apparently no one else.

http://backseatfan.com/2010/05/2010-nfl-draft-rookie-signing-status-team-by-team/

K Train
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
yeah i didnt think so lol, bryant got low balled too i cant believe he signed it being a potential top 10 pick...hes getting 11.8 which is what beanie wells got at 31 last year and 8.5 guaranteed which is just on par with what mack and harvin got last year in the early 20s, its usually a substantial increase i though he'd get 16 mil with 9-9.5 guaranteed

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Woohoo! Woodley won't hold out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5410540

K Train
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
yea but i cant help but think hes gonna become a FA now...hes clearly frustrated with them and someone will offer him bank, ******* dumervill might have made us kiss woodley goodbye. there better be a ******* franchise tag next year lol

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Losing Woodley would be devastating to the team and to fans. Fan favorite and crucial to the team.

Stupid 30% rule.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
It's kind of amazing how the upcoming draft is really rich in the positions we need to fill.

Great CB's, TONS of 3-4 DE talent, couple 3-4 ILB's, good interior O-line players.

And Jonathan Baldwin.

Hines
07-26-2010, 02:44 PM
We will have Woodley for a long time. Just relax. I'm sure the front office has told him there is nothing they can do about him not getting his extention.

Jakey
07-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Ike Taylor, Byant McFadden, William G*y, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, Crezdon Butler, Anthony Madison.

Who stays, who goes? Who starts? Who suprises?

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Ike Taylor, Byant McFadden, William G*y, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, Crezdon Butler, Anthony Madison.

Who stays, who goes? Who starts? Who suprises?

Taylor, McFadden, Gai, Lewis, Burnett, Butler make it.

Madison leaves (much to my despair).

Butler surprises. He's extremely athletic.

I don't think Lewis makes it as a starter, maybe beats out Gai for the nickel job. Though that's also tough, Gai was the best nickel in the league before last season.

K Train
07-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Taylor, McFadden, Gai, Lewis, Burnett, Butler make it.

Madison leaves (much to my despair).

Butler surprises. He's extremely athletic.

I don't think Lewis makes it as a starter, maybe beats out Gai for the nickel job. Though that's also tough, Gai was the best nickel in the league before last season.

madison is an old man, hes not nearly the gunner he used to be...hes worthless to us at this point

Jakey
07-26-2010, 04:42 PM
I love Butler, his game tape is awesome. Extremely athletic, quick...and the main thing...he has GREAT HANDS. I cant imagine he will get a shot any time soon, but itd be cool if he did.

Hines
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
If Lewis/Burnett perform like how the coaches want them to, it might be easier to let Ike go in the offseason. If they struggle, then we will keep Ike.

brat316
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
If Lewis/Burnett perform like how the coaches want them to, it might be easier to let Ike go in the offseason. If they struggle, then we will keep Ike.

ahhaah, if all players preformed like the coaches wanted them to we would have a superbowl every year.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
ahhaah, if all players preformed like the coaches wanted them to we would have a superbowl every year.

Lol, true. But I get what Hines is saying though.

And fortunately for us, if Ike leaves, we've got three guys that can step in his place. Either Lewis or Burnett or Butler should be up to the job.

Hines
07-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Looks like Worild's deal is close to being done.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Looks like Worild's dead.

That's what I read and was like "WHAT!"

But that's good though, I want to have all the rookies right from the get-go.

Also, what do you guys think of Chester Pitts? He was a decent guard for the Texans.

Could be a temporary solution at RG, with Pouncey taking over the reigns as center and Foster as our right tackle.

Jakey
07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Also, what do you guys think of Chester Pitts? He was a decent guard for the Texans.

Ive heard we worked him out, but werent interested. I also think the signing of Adrian Jones (for RG depth) is an indicator that one of the RG's will be playing RT...hopefully Foster.

Hines
07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, Jakey is right. Guess we like Jones more than we liked Pitts.

K Train
07-27-2010, 08:26 AM
i been thinking about some things

much to my dismay i think the starting day one oline will look like

starks-kemoeatu-hartwig (angry face)- pouncey-foster

since the team has too much pride to just bite the bullet and bring in flo and not start pouncey at center from day one to allow hartwig to be the worst center in the league 3 years running. foster and colon are very similar, reps in camp should have foster ready to kick out

ideally i think it should look like this with our current misfits

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-j.scott

and just let essex, urbik, legursky, hills, jones, c. scott all cage fight for the backup jobs.

im kinda liking what im hearing about keenan lewis, however i think he gets rotated in ike and mcfaddens spot before he plays nickel, i think nickel will be for *** and burnett because they are smaller guys to match up with slot receivers, lewis might be too stiff for that but his physicality could be useful on a rotational basis as a *** and mcfadden did 2 years ago with that #2 spot and that limits *** to just nickel duties which im sure no one will object to.

i love burnett for some reason, hes got the sweet feet, hes feisty for a little guy and hes got good ball skills....i think hes got a serious chance to make an impact, hes gotta perform especially well in preseason though.

id like farrior to be let go even though i know it wont happen, id take just having him in on first downs though. i think timmons should take the mack spot and let fox and foote wrestle over the buck although i think the best move would be to have harrison slide inside and play timmons wherever they see sit for that play and rotate timmons/woodley/worilds/gibson as pass rushers. harrison is so good in traffic, tremendous against the run, can blow a guards **** right up and we have pass rushers while were hurting on the inside...it just makes sense to me. hopefully timmons continues to improve against the run

id like to see el get cut or injured (or injured by being cut with a knife)....either way, but to me he was a worthless addition. hes small, old, cant get open anymore and is afraid of the endzone....alll hes gonna do is hold sanders (and possibly brown) back off the field

as far as the backfeild goes i would like it to be mendenhall and dwyer the clear cut #1 and #2....moore was good for us in spot duty but hes has quicky lost his relevance to the team. mendenhall has put him to shame as a reciever and pass blocker at this point and memo has lost his importance to the team. i hope dwyer shows up as good as he was in OTAs and is impressive in goal line sitautions because that duo could be sick. i hope summers gets axed, actually i hope hes the very first one cut....hes a worthless blocker and dwyer makes him expendable as a runner. i guess i hope the FB job goes to david johnson or even id rather have carey davis in there over summers

Hines
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
I guess Chester Pitts is visiting today.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 09:52 AM
I guess Chester Pitts is visiting today.

Behold! The psychic powers of Goosemahn!

But it could be a good under-the-radar signing though. He was a solid but unspectacular guard, but definitely better than Essex.

edit: Also, here's the source.

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/19652812063

K Train
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
if they signed pitts i think hed be the RG and pouncey be the center...at least that would be the best lineup i could see

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
if they signed pitts i think hed be the RG and pouncey be the center...at least that would be the best lineup i could see

Yeah, that was what I was thinking.

Starks - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Pitts - Foster

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I like a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Pitts-Foster line more than I would like a Starks-Kemo-Hartwig-Pouncey-Foster line. IF, and that's a big one, Pitts is healthy, he'd be a pretty good signing. I'm just not convinced Foster is a better tackle than guard. Also, if we do sign Pitts, I think it's bye bye Urbik.

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:08 AM
i been thinking about some things

much to my dismay i think the starting day one oline will look like

starks-kemoeatu-hartwig (angry face)- pouncey-foster

since the team has too much pride to just bite the bullet and bring in flo and not start pouncey at center from day one to allow hartwig to be the worst center in the league 3 years running. foster and colon are very similar, reps in camp should have foster ready to kick out

ideally i think it should look like this with our current misfits

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-j.scott

and just let essex, urbik, legursky, hills, jones, c. scott all cage fight for the backup jobs.

im kinda liking what im hearing about keenan lewis, however i think he gets rotated in ike and mcfaddens spot before he plays nickel, i think nickel will be for *** and burnett because they are smaller guys to match up with slot receivers, lewis might be too stiff for that but his physicality could be useful on a rotational basis as a *** and mcfadden did 2 years ago with that #2 spot and that limits *** to just nickel duties which im sure no one will object to.

i love burnett for some reason, hes got the sweet feet, hes feisty for a little guy and hes got good ball skills....i think hes got a serious chance to make an impact, hes gotta perform especially well in preseason though.

id like farrior to be let go even though i know it wont happen, id take just having him in on first downs though. i think timmons should take the mack spot and let fox and foote wrestle over the buck although i think the best move would be to have harrison slide inside and play timmons wherever they see sit for that play and rotate timmons/woodley/worilds/gibson as pass rushers. harrison is so good in traffic, tremendous against the run, can blow a guards **** right up and we have pass rushers while were hurting on the inside...it just makes sense to me. hopefully timmons continues to improve against the run

id like to see el get cut or injured (or injured by being cut with a knife)....either way, but to me he was a worthless addition. hes small, old, cant get open anymore and is afraid of the endzone....alll hes gonna do is hold sanders (and possibly brown) back off the field

as far as the backfeild goes i would like it to be mendenhall and dwyer the clear cut #1 and #2....moore was good for us in spot duty but hes has quicky lost his relevance to the team. mendenhall has put him to shame as a reciever and pass blocker at this point and memo has lost his importance to the team. i hope dwyer shows up as good as he was in OTAs and is impressive in goal line sitautions because that duo could be sick. i hope summers gets axed, actually i hope hes the very first one cut....hes a worthless blocker and dwyer makes him expendable as a runner. i guess i hope the FB job goes to david johnson or even id rather have carey davis in there over summers

I think Moore makes the team regardless. He is a nice guy to have and the team likes his versitility. He's a good guy to have. Also, I read that the team is getting sour on Johnson. They seem to like McHugh a lot.

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I like a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Pitts-Foster line more than I would like a Starks-Kemo-Hartwig-Pouncey-Foster line. IF, and that's a big one, Pitts is healthy, he'd be a pretty good signing. I'm just not convinced Foster is a better tackle than guard. Also, if we do sign Pitts, I think it's bye bye Urbik.

any line without hartwig is a better line. if they sign pitts and hes good to go hes a good enough RG for me and i didnt think colon was a better tackle than guard and i still dont but he did pretty well, and i think foster is alot like him so i think id be ok with it

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 10:09 AM

KTrain's gonna celebrate all night long, lol.

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
KTrain's gonna celebrate all night long, lol.

oh yeah, i dont need that kind of an ego boost

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I think Moore makes the team regardless. He is a nice guy to have and the team likes his versitility. He's a good guy to have. Also, I read that the team is getting sour on Johnson. They seem to like McHugh a lot.

yeah i read that too, its a shame cause he got off to a good start and i remember a coach saying that once he gets a hand on someone that guy is out of the play he was such a good blocker. they were saying he was taking on 2 guys with relative ease i wonder what went wrong.

id be ok with mchugh, really anyone but summers.

and i hope moore makes the team, i jsut hope he gets a reduced role to a #3

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I think it would be stupid to get rid of Essex at this point. He's a valuable asset to our OL and can fill in at multiple positions at anytime.

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
yeah i read that too, its a shame cause he got off to a good start and i remember a coach saying that once he gets a hand on someone that guy is out of the play he was such a good blocker. they were saying he was taking on 2 guys with relative ease i wonder what went wrong.

id be ok with mchugh, really anyone but summers.

and i hope moore makes the team, i jsut hope he gets a reduced role to a #3

I'd think McHugh will be the third TE and hopefully Taylor is the FB.

Also, I think with Johnson, he had a little bit of a dropsy problem in OTA and minicamp.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I want Noel Devine to replace Moore.

Mendenhall - Dwyer - Devine

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jp9MuxAszEM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jp9MuxAszEM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
i like essex as a backup LT, hes a terrible guard and RT because despite being 330 pounds hes sooo weak and more finesse than a figure skater. pass blocking LT yes, anything interior or drive blocking RT...no thanks.

i agree though he should stick around since he has starting experience across the line

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Also, I think with Johnson, he had a little bit of a dropsy problem in OTA and minicamp.

forgot about taylor...im on board with that idea

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
I want Noel Devine to replace Moore.

Mendenhall - Dwyer - Devine

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jp9MuxAszEM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jp9MuxAszEM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

oh man, thats an unfair trio....every kind of RB you could want on your roster. complete back with mendenhall...does it all pretty well, potential powerful runner with dwyer, and scat back with incredible speed, vision and leg power. not even arians could **** that up

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Devine would be awesome as a Steeler. One of the best HS highlight tapes I've EVER seen.

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
oh man, thats an unfair trio....every kind of RB you could want on your roster. complete back with mendenhall...does it all pretty well, potential powerful runner with dwyer, and scat back with incredible speed, vision and leg power. not even arians could **** that up

Yes, yes he could.

K Train
07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
yeah and despite being the youtube sensation he isnt just all flash, he has the legs of a 250 pound back, something that guys like reggie bush and darren mcfadden severely lacked.

i played against him the year i lived in florida (my 11th grade year) he has unreal ability

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I heard he squats around 450. That's insane.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM

I really, really, really hope Taylor works out at FB. I know he likes to hit, but does he know how to? Because if he does learn to block, what LB or DB will take on a 270+ lbs. guy?

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Devine + 3rd down = success!

Devine + 3rd down + Arians = does not compute.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Some interesting TE stats. Miller's got great hands.

1. Clark 100
2. Witten 94
3. Gonzalez 83
4. Gates 79
5. Davis 78
6. Winslow 77
7. H. Miller 76
8. Celek 76
9. Z. Miller 66
10. Olson 60

% of balls caught when targetted:

1. H. Miller 77.5%
2. Clark 75.8%
3. Witten 75.2%
4. Gates 69.2%
5. Celek 67.9%
6. Z. Miller 66.0%
7. Gonzalez 61.5%
8. Winslow 60.6%
9. Davis 60.4%
10. Olson 55.6%

Yards per catch:

1. Gates 14.6
2. Celek 12.8
3. Davis 12.4
4. Z. Miller 12.2
5. Winslow 11.5
6. Clark 11.1
7. Wittne 11.0
8. Gonzalez 10.4
8. H. Miller 10.4
10 Olson 10.2

Yards after catch per reception:

1. Gates 6.5
2. H. Miller 5.5
2. Celek 5.5
2. Z. Miller 5.5
5. Clark 4.9
6. Witten 4.3
7. Davis 4.2
8. Wunslow 3.2
9. Olson 3.0
10. Gonzalez 2.5

Touchdowns:

1. Davis 13
2. Clark 10
3. Gates 8
3. Celek 8
3. Olson 8
6. Gonzalez 6
6. H. Miller 6
8. Winslow 5
9. Z. Miller 3
10. Witten

DeathbyStat
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM

I agree with that but I think that Scott might take it over foster

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Bengals will apparently sign TO.

http://twitter.com/CinBengalsNFL/statuses/19687628938

Ochocinco, Bryant, and Owens could be a very good trio of receivers.

K Train
07-27-2010, 05:07 PM
in 05 that would have been awesome....if you really watched TO the last 2 years you would see the rapid decline hes been on. the cowboys let him go because crayton was the better receiver at that point in their respective careers and didnt command #1 money. this doesnt even kind of worry me, ike schooled TO and chad johnson in their prime, now they are well into their 30s and not scaring anyone

mikehop05
07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
those 3 combined dont scare me as much as one ray rice or josh cribbs

tenorx
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
There won't be Ocho-Bryant-TO cause they prolly signed TO because Bryant still has knee issues. I think it will be Ocho-TO-Shipley :)

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
There won't be Ocho-Bryant-TO cause they prolly signed TO because Bryant still has knee issues. I think it will be Ocho-TO-Shipley :)

True. Do they still have both Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson?

tenorx
07-27-2010, 05:26 PM
True. Do they still have both Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson?

Yeh, but Shipley is truly the best, I can see him outperforming everyone, then being the new Wes Welker, as the best slot guy. We really have to watch out for the Bengals offense now.... 3 good WRs, an awesome TE ( I really love Gresham) and Benson. Wow. Tough year for us, tough year.

bce
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeh, but Shipley is truly the best, I can see him outperforming everyone, then being the new Wes Welker, as the best slot guy. We really have to watch out for the Bengals offense now.... 3 good WRs, an awesome TE ( I really love Gresham) and Benson. Wow. Tough year for us, tough year.

Other than the fact that jordan shipley is 25 years old spent 6 years in college and has had multiple major injuries. Wes welker is an exception. hes not the nrom and jordan shipley isnt very wes welker like physically, plus all the injuries.

bce
07-27-2010, 08:30 PM
bensons going to be suspended and antonio bryants already hurt, jermaine gresham has a history of always being hurt, and when was the last time to was an elite nfl wr, and when was the last time ocho did anything against the steelers.

Only two things to concern ourselves with this year. #7 being on the shelf 4-6, and the poor coaching of mike tomlin. Other than that, the steelers are as much of a contender as anyone.

brat316
07-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I like how most people compare ever white WR that is smallish, and is quick but not fast to Wes Welker.

K Train
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM

3 old WRs who together will be mediocre at best, a rookie TE, a solid benson and an average QB who gets thrown in the elite category sometimes based on college credential and one 2005 season....im just not too worried about the bengals offense, imo their D is way more impressive

brat316
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Ike can shut down one guy, he can't cover all of them. So I do expect them to have some success, they might not be as fast, but doesn't mean they can't catch anymore.

K Train
07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I like how most people compare ever white WR that is smallish, and is quick but not fast to Wes Welker.

welker is one of a kind. the man is absolutely fearless, thats what separates him. when i see someone with that kind of style of play ill compare them to welker.

K Train
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Ike can shut down one guy, he can't cover all of them. So I do expect them to have some success, they might not be as fast, but doesn't mean they can't catch anymore.

ike and mcfadden are two of the more physical corners in the league and mcfadden especially is a tremendous tackler. ike can cover TO since hes schooled him in his prime and both guys have terrible hands and mcfadden can cover chad no problem, weve seen what chad does when a corner gets physical with him...nothing.

the scariest player on the bengals offense is brian leonard on third down at the end of the game with it on the line....damnit

bce
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
The scariest thing about any steeler opponenet is mike tomlin in the 4th q of any game, espeically without #7 to bail him out.

Jakey
07-27-2010, 09:55 PM
The scariest thing about any steeler opponenet is mike tomlin in the 4th q of any game, espeically without #7 to bail him out.

http://thisaintnews.com/images/pics/1241452507-gtfo_take_fail.jpg

terribletowel39
07-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm just typing this so I can get it in my Subscribed Thread.

bce gets on my nerves with every post he makes.

i agree with K Train about the Bengals D. They are good. Way better than the O.

K Train
07-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers LB Lawrence Timmons writes in his blog that he has been working out twice a day and as a result is in serious shape. "I did a lot of great things in the off-season. It hasn’t all been fun, though. I’ve been working out hard. I’m up to 248 pounds right now, no fat. I’ve got my abs back" writes Timmons. "Now it’s time to get ready for training camp on Friday. I’ve been working out like a dog so camp will be easy for me and I’m in some serious shape. I’ve been working out hard, doing two-a-days, working out then running or lifting. My trainers have me on some supplements now and I’m improving my wind, speed and strength so everything is going well."
http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_Serious-Shape/BLOG/2504059/62428.html?widgetId=18061

248 pounds for his 225 pound body is massive, hes gotta be ******* jacked

mikehop05
07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
we've signed colbert to a 5 year extension... who may be the mvp of our team

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
With Training Camp just two days away, I've created my first long post of the year. Basically, just overall thoughts of how I see the team, the upcoming season, and a very, very early look at next year's draft.

- Starting off with the QB's. I think Leftwich gives us the best opportunity to win, but for some strange reason I want Dixon to play. Batch, as great as the guy is, doesn't even come into consideration anymore (for me, at least). I think he's on the team to be a mentor and a coach more than a QB nowadays. Weighing in the positives and the negatives, both Leftwich and Dixon come out somewhat similar, but Leftwich has got a slight edge due to experience. Leftwich has got a rocket launcher for an arm and is actually a pretty good QB when given the chance to get comfortable. But that's the thing, he rarely is. He's as mobile as a desk, has the slowest release in the NFL (or second slowest now that Tebow's on board), and to top it off, he's injury prone. Those three things added up suck when considering the quality of the O-line he'll be playing behind. Dixon, on the other and, has a noodle for an arm compared to Leftwich's, but he's extremely mobile and can not only escape from danger, but create plays with his legs, as we all witnessed in the Baltimore game. He doesn't have the experience though, and that can also hurt us (again, see Baltimore game). I guess that I want to see Dixon in there because I truly want to see what he is capable of doing when given a chance to really prepare and whatnot. Plus, I still think the offense will not revolve around the QB. Instead, Mendenhall will be our #1 offensive weapon, which brings me to my next point.

- Mendenhall absolutely has to assume his role as a leader and carry the offense for those 4-6 games. I know he's only entering his third year, but he's going to be responsible for a lot of the offensive success we have or don't have. Some people will say Ward has to be a leader too, and while I definitely agree, it's not the same situation as with Mendenhall. Ward can only do a good job if Dixon or Leftwich do a good job. If he's not getting the ball, he can't do much. Mendenhall, on the other hand, has virtually the same group of O-Line guys he had last year, a new guy in Demetrius Taylor who could be the run-blocking fullback we've been looking for, and a year of experience as well. Teams will focus more on stopping him, and he must know that. The passing game will complement his running, as opposed to the opposite, which is what Arians constantly does when Ben is in the game (much to our frustration). If he struggles at times, then those games could very well be lost.

- I'm not nearly as worried about our WR and CB situation as some people are. Seriously, why are people so aggravated and worried about this? Our CB group is better than it was last year, and while we did lose a good player in Holmes, I think that Wallace, Sanders, and Randle El can not only replace what he did for the team, but actually improve upon it. It's not as if we lost Ward, Holmes, and Wallace. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Holmes as a receiver and was both sad and angered to see him leave, but we still have good players to replace him. Wallace still is, and hopefully will be for a long time, a very dangerous vertical threat. As long as he doesn't go all Eddie Royal on us, we'll be good. Randle El adds a pair of solid, albeit unspectacular hands, and Sanders is one guy I'm very excited about. Granted, seeing him talk on Facebook probably increased my expectations, but I still think he can produce for us as a rookie and will have no trouble handling the #4 WR spot; unless, of course, he ends up higher.

- I still hate our offensive line. Yeah, it's improving and players are getting chemistry, yada, yada, yada. I still think that, for the most part, it sucks. I hate having to read year after year that his could be the season where the offensive line "gets it" and inexplicably improves a lot. It won't happen. Not with "solid" guys all over. As of right now, the only untouchable on that line, at least for me, is Pouncey, and that's hoping he does become a great center/guard. Starks is maddeningly inconsistent, but he's "solid." Kemo is lethal in both run-blocking and pass-protection, but he's lethal to others in the former and lethal to us in the latter. Again, just "solid." I wasn't as down on Hartwig as some were recently, but the more I see him play, the less I like him. I used to think he was "solid" too, but now I think he's below-average. And old. Essex, nothing more than a journeyman. And Colon is supposedly our best player, but that doesn't really say much and for the most part, he doesn't really stand out. Oh, how I wish we could have some type of elite talent on our offensive line. It would truly make the offense unstoppable. Even with Arians' ******** playcalling. If the O-Line could block worth a damn, it wouldn't be such a big issue.

- I'm ecstatic with the group of linebackers we've got right now, tons of potential for great plays. Farrior, Timmons, Foote, Fox, all could be starters for us. And Harrison and Woodley are simply beastly. Gibson and Worilds, great additions, very eager to see what they can do. And I guess this means that Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, and co. are all but gone. Kinda sad, I liked Bailey, but you've got to make room for the better talent, and those guys carry much more potential than Bailey and Frazier have.

- Going back to the CB situation, we've got our unquestioned starter in Taylor and a good player in McFadden. We've also got the best nickel corner in the league, and I'll stop calling him that when someone else takes that crown away from him. Last year, IMO, doesn't really count as he wasn't a nickel corner. Burnett, Lewis, and Butler are very intriguing players. If Burnett does play a lot of nickel, then he could be really interesting to watch. He was a ballhawk in college, and he should already have one in the NFL. If the Taylor and Lewis comparisons have any truth to them, then I think we could have a future starter, and judging by how coaches are saying he'll compete for a starting job and is looking great, I think he could be in a year or two. And Butler, well, he's shown nothing yet, but he's another freak athlete and I've read on multiple places that getting him in the fifth was actually a steal. Who knows.

- Hadn't really put these things together, but we could be witnessing monster seasons from both Woodley and Ike. I strongly believe both guys want to seriously cash in this off-season. Woodley because he truly deserves it, and Ike because it's probably the last big deal he'll get. I can't wait to see what a money-motivated Woodley is capable of doing. Hopefully, maybe, could it be, 20+ sacks? He put up 15.5 sacks this past-season, but didn't get any until his fifth game. From then on, he averaged 1.29166667 sacks per game. If he would have started off getting sacks, and I used the same average, he would have wound up with 20-21 sacks in the season. Let's see what Woodley does.

- And finally, the draft. Just like many other Steeler fans, I too want to add elite talent to our O-line. But, unfortunately, that comes in first and second round picks, which we don't invest in need but rather in talent. Hopefully the team will bend this rule and take a good lineman based on need and not only on talent, but who knows. I'd love to get Mike Pouncey and have him play beside Maurkice. I'd also love TCU's Marcus Cannon or Miami's Orlando Franklin. If you guys didn't already know this, I love me some big offensive linemen. Always have, and I think I always will. Even in Madden, lol. Unless the guy plays center, I'll have none of 6'3, 298 lbs. Give me 6'4-6'5 and 320 lbs.+ any day of the week. That's why I'm not very fond of guys like Selvish Capers, and consequently of finesse players. Finnese players don't work against the defenses we play against. We saw that with Darnell Stapleton. Granted, he wasn't elite talent. But still, most small offensive linemen hold no chance against Ngata, Rogers, and now maybe Cody. That's why I like guys like John Jerry, Phil Loadholt, Iupati, and now Cannon. Road-graters who can match defenders' physicality and overpower other small players. I can make exceptions though, especially at LT. But other than that, no, no, no. Big guys to clear big holes for big gains.

And to top it all off, a new, quick mock. Also, I'll look into what we might get in comp picks in a little while, though I don't think we get much.

Assuming we pick in the 15-25 range, which is where I've seen the team listed in power rankings.

1. WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh (do whatever it takes)
2. C/OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
3. OT/OG Marcus Cannon, TCU
4. NT Phil Taylor, Baylor
5. ILB Alex Wujciak, Maryland
6. RB Derrick Locke, Kentucky
7. S Dom DeCicco, Pittsburgh

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_Serious-Shape/BLOG/2504059/62428.html?widgetId=18061

248 pounds for his 225 pound body is massive, hes gotta be ******* jacked

Wow, yeah, he's got to be ridiculously strong. On the downside, it could mean he'll be playing buck again. Oh well, at least he'll be better prepared for it.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
we've signed colbert to a 5 year extension... who may be the mvp of our team

Woohoo! Great news, we need him to keep hitting on first round picks.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Wow, Timmons put this on his blog:

I have set some goals for myself this season. Making the Pro Bowl is No. 1 on my agenda, and of course we all want to win another Super Bowl. I want to be in the high teens in sacks, maybe 17 or 18. That would be a good way to help the team win.

Hope he does get those sacks.

K Train
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
i think he could too, they are realizing what a great pass rusher he is

K Train
07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
the extra muscle and working out will probably make him more durable too, he seems to always pull something or sprain something

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
We signed Jason Worilds to a 4 year contract.

bce
07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
With Training Camp just two days away, I've created my first long post of the year. Basically, just overall thoughts of how I see the team, the upcoming season, and a very, very early look at next year's draft.

- Starting off with the QB's. I think Leftwich gives us the best opportunity to win, but for some strange reason I want Dixon to play. Batch, as great as the guy is, doesn't even come into consideration anymore (for me, at least). I think he's on the team to be a mentor and a coach more than a QB nowadays. Weighing in the positives and the negatives, both Leftwich and Dixon come out somewhat similar, but Leftwich has got a slight edge due to experience. Leftwich has got a rocket launcher for an arm and is actually a pretty good QB when given the chance to get comfortable. But that's the thing, he rarely is. He's as mobile as a desk, has the slowest release in the NFL (or second slowest now that Tebow's on board), and to top it off, he's injury prone. Those three things added up suck when considering the quality of the O-line he'll be playing behind. Dixon, on the other and, has a noodle for an arm compared to Leftwich's, but he's extremely mobile and can not only escape from danger, but create plays with his legs, as we all witnessed in the Baltimore game. He doesn't have the experience though, and that can also hurt us (again, see Baltimore game). I guess that I want to see Dixon in there because I truly want to see what he is capable of doing when given a chance to really prepare and whatnot. Plus, I still think the offense will not revolve around the QB. Instead, Mendenhall will be our #1 offensive weapon, which brings me to my next point.

- Mendenhall absolutely has to assume his role as a leader and carry the offense for those 4-6 games. I know he's only entering his third year, but he's going to be responsible for a lot of the offensive success we have or don't have. Some people will say Ward has to be a leader too, and while I definitely agree, it's not the same situation as with Mendenhall. Ward can only do a good job if Dixon or Leftwich do a good job. If he's not getting the ball, he can't do much. Mendenhall, on the other hand, has virtually the same group of O-Line guys he had last year, a new guy in Demetrius Taylor who could be the run-blocking fullback we've been looking for, and a year of experience as well. Teams will focus more on stopping him, and he must know that. The passing game will complement his running, as opposed to the opposite, which is what Arians constantly does when Ben is in the game (much to our frustration). If he struggles at times, then those games could very well be lost.

- I'm not nearly as worried about our WR and CB situation as some people are. Seriously, why are people so aggravated and worried about this? Our CB group is better than it was last year, and while we did lose a good player in Holmes, I think that Wallace, Sanders, and Randle El can not only replace what he did for the team, but actually improve upon it. It's not as if we lost Ward, Holmes, and Wallace. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Holmes as a receiver and was both sad and angered to see him leave, but we still have good players to replace him. Wallace still is, and hopefully will be for a long time, a very dangerous vertical threat. As long as he doesn't go all Eddie Royal on us, we'll be good. Randle El adds a pair of solid, albeit unspectacular hands, and Sanders is one guy I'm very excited about. Granted, seeing him talk on Facebook probably increased my expectations, but I still think he can produce for us as a rookie and will have no trouble handling the #4 WR spot; unless, of course, he ends up higher.

- I still hate our offensive line. Yeah, it's improving and players are getting chemistry, yada, yada, yada. I still think that, for the most part, it sucks. I hate having to read year after year that his could be the season where the offensive line "gets it" and inexplicably improves a lot. It won't happen. Not with "solid" guys all over. As of right now, the only untouchable on that line, at least for me, is Pouncey, and that's hoping he does become a great center/guard. Starks is maddeningly inconsistent, but he's "solid." Kemo is lethal in both run-blocking and pass-protection, but he's lethal to others in the former and lethal to us in the latter. Again, just "solid." I wasn't as down on Hartwig as some were recently, but the more I see him play, the less I like him. I used to think he was "solid" too, but now I think he's below-average. And old. Essex, nothing more than a journeyman. And Colon is supposedly our best player, but that doesn't really say much and for the most part, he doesn't really stand out. Oh, how I wish we could have some type of elite talent on our offensive line. It would truly make the offense unstoppable. Even with Arians' ******** playcalling. If the O-Line could block worth a damn, it wouldn't be such a big issue.

- I'm ecstatic with the group of linebackers we've got right now, tons of potential for great plays. Farrior, Timmons, Foote, Fox, all could be starters for us. And Harrison and Woodley are simply beastly. Gibson and Worilds, great additions, very eager to see what they can do. And I guess this means that Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, and co. are all but gone. Kinda sad, I liked Bailey, but you've got to make room for the better talent, and those guys carry much more potential than Bailey and Frazier have.

- Going back to the CB situation, we've got our unquestioned starter in Taylor and a good player in McFadden. We've also got the best nickel corner in the league, and I'll stop calling him that when someone else takes that crown away from him. Last year, IMO, doesn't really count as he wasn't a nickel corner. Burnett, Lewis, and Butler are very intriguing players. If Burnett does play a lot of nickel, then he could be really interesting to watch. He was a ballhawk in college, and he should already have one in the NFL. If the Taylor and Lewis comparisons have any truth to them, then I think we could have a future starter, and judging by how coaches are saying he'll compete for a starting job and is looking great, I think he could be in a year or two. And Butler, well, he's shown nothing yet, but he's another freak athlete and I've read on multiple places that getting him in the fifth was actually a steal. Who knows.

- Hadn't really put these things together, but we could be witnessing monster seasons from both Woodley and Ike. I strongly believe both guys want to seriously cash in this off-season. Woodley because he truly deserves it, and Ike because it's probably the last big deal he'll get. I can't wait to see what a money-motivated Woodley is capable of doing. Hopefully, maybe, could it be, 20+ sacks? He put up 15.5 sacks this past-season, but didn't get any until his fifth game. From then on, he averaged 1.29166667 sacks per game. If he would have started off getting sacks, and I used the same average, he would have wound up with 20-21 sacks in the season. Let's see what Woodley does.

- And finally, the draft. Just like many other Steeler fans, I too want to add elite talent to our O-line. But, unfortunately, that comes in first and second round picks, which we don't invest in need but rather in talent. Hopefully the team will bend this rule and take a good lineman based on need and not only on talent, but who knows. I'd love to get Mike Pouncey and have him play beside Maurkice. I'd also love TCU's Marcus Cannon or Miami's Orlando Franklin. If you guys didn't already know this, I love me some big offensive linemen. Always have, and I think I always will. Even in Madden, lol. Unless the guy plays center, I'll have none of 6'3, 298 lbs. Give me 6'4-6'5 and 320 lbs.+ any day of the week. That's why I'm not very fond of guys like Selvish Capers, and consequently of finesse players. Finnese players don't work against the defenses we play against. We saw that with Darnell Stapleton. Granted, he wasn't elite talent. But still, most small offensive linemen hold no chance against Ngata, Rogers, and now maybe Cody. That's why I like guys like John Jerry, Phil Loadholt, Iupati, and now Cannon. Road-graters who can match defenders' physicality and overpower other small players. I can make exceptions though, especially at LT. But other than that, no, no, no. Big guys to clear big holes for big gains.

And to top it all off, a new, quick mock. Also, I'll look into what we might get in comp picks in a little while, though I don't think we get much.

Assuming we pick in the 15-25 range, which is where I've seen the team listed in power rankings.

Thanks for the enlightenment session. Doesnt really matter whos out there at qb it wont be # 7 it will be a downgrade. They just used a rd 1 pcik on an ol, so i dont understand the whining about not using high picks. Im extrelmely worried about wr. They are a mike wallace in jury away from being the slowest and probably worst wr corps in steelers history, and waalce isnt yet a proven commodity and take away #7 its going to be interesting how he does. #7 has a tendency to make guys look better than they really are. I dont expect to see much emanuel sanders or antonio brown this year. Its not the steeler way and chances of them contributing especially during the #7 less period are slim. Phil taylor will never be a steeler and lets hope dom decicco will never be a steeler.

Hines
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I just hope Timmons doesn't loose his great speed because of the added muscle.

K Train
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM

you could stop after round 4 and wed have a badass roster

tenorx
07-29-2010, 04:38 PM
WE SIGNED FLO! HOHOOOOO! :D

Steelers agree to terms with T Flozell Adams on a multi-year deal. More ahead on NFL Network and NFL.com

Man I'm so damn happy!

brat316
07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Wonder if they will play him at guard or tackle? I hate him and his tripping penalties but right now we don't have anything better.

Hines
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice!!! Our line just got better. I wonder if we will still sign Pitts.

tenorx
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I think it will be like
Starks-Kemo-Hartwig :( - Pouncey - Flo
I really hope that Pouncey will get the chance to start.

brat316
07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Nice!!! Our line just got better. I wonder if we will still sign Pitts.

Nope he joined the Seahawks.

tenorx
07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Nope he joined the Seahawks.

We don't need him anyway. If Hartwig doesn't start then Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Flo would be awesome.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
We don't need him anyway. If Hartwig doesn't start then Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Flo would be awesome.

That would be fine by me. I'd rather Pouncey start playing well already at center and having Foster improve at guard, which is what he really should play, than have Pouncey out of position and have Hartwig keep starting.

Still, having Flo gives us more options.

Very happy to hear we signed him.

Hines
07-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I guess it's bye bye Urbik and Hills.

tenorx
07-29-2010, 04:53 PM

I have a feeling that Urbik might stay, don't know why. He just needed some footwork, but he is a true mauler.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Also, another thing I like about Adams is that he's very durable. In 12 years, he's only missed 10 games, and it was during the 2005 season.

So he might be old and deaf on his right ear, but he's still a mauling tackle and has a good year or two left in the tank.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM

It's now or never for Hills. The guy has shown nothing in two years, at least Urbik was a rookie this past season. I think that unless he miraculously turns into a serviceable player, he's gone. Urbik also offers some position versatility, while Hills is basically a T only.

And I'm not entirely sure about Urbik leaving, I think it will be between him and Legursky. And that will depend a lot on who Kugler likes more. Both offer versatility, though Urbik in OT and OG (supposedly) while Legursky at C and OG. Still, between those two, I think I'd keep Legursky.

We're one day away from seeing it all go down. Really happy training camp is here.

And to start things off, I'll post the first of the many updates I'll keep writing on here. There not mine, FYI, I just post them from multiple sites.

- Look for RB Isaac Redman to get a long look this year in short yardage situations. He impressed everyone in camp his rookie season but didn't get much playing time. Coach Mike Tomlin has mentioned him quite a bit in the offseason.

- The one area the Steelers are lacking in is a big play threat. The loss of Santonio Holmes leaves WR Mike Wallace the lone deep threat. Rookie WR Emmanuel Sanders could be, but the jury is still out.

- The coaching staff needs this training camp just as much as the players this season. The Steelers will debut four new coaches, while Randy Fitchner moves from WR to QB coach.

Hines
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Urbik can play C too.

Jakey
07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Ooooof, pretty glad to see that signing...he may be old, but hes a hell of allot better than whomever else was playing.

Heres my take on what i think the o-line will look like...

STARTERS: Starks/Adams - Kemo - Hartwig - Pouncey - Adams/Starks
BACKUPS: J. Scott/Essex - Foster/Essex/Urbik - Legursky - Foster/Essex/Urbik - J. Scott/Essex

Heres what i WISH it looked like...

STARTERS: Starks - Kemo - Pouncey - Foster - Adams
BACKUPS: J. Scott - Essex - Legursky - Urbik - J. Scott

(Trade Hartwig, Chris Scott to P.S, Hills to P.S)

Hines
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
You forgot Adrian Jones, Jakey. I think he makes the team.

mikehop05
07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
hills cant be placed on the ps can he?

Hines
07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
I think he can. Not too sure, though.

Jakey
07-29-2010, 06:53 PM
You forgot Adrian Jones, Jakey. I think he makes the team.

Ahhhh of course, that doesnt bode well for Urbik then, i really liked that kid aswell :[

Hines
07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Adams
Scott-Essex-Hartwig-Urbik-Jones-Scott

That's how I would like to see the OL.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
What do you guys think we do with the QB situation? Keep all 4 all season long? Cut Batch after Ben returns?

Hines
07-29-2010, 07:16 PM
We keep 4 QBs then cut Batch and bring him back as a coach.

Hines
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Pouncey is close to signing.

tenorx
07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Pouncey is close to signing.

And he signed :) No holdout again :D

Mr. Goosemahn
07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
And he signed :) No holdout again :D

Excellent, now it's off to train, rookie!

And don't you carry Hartwig's (or any other offensive linemen's) pads! They deserve no respect.

tenorx
07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Excellent, now it's off to train, rookie!

And don't you carry Hartwig's (or any other offensive linemen's) pads! They deserve no respect.

Heh well, I think a rookie has to do what he has to do :P Currently Hartwig has done more in the NFL then Pouncey, he has to prove first!

Mr. Goosemahn
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
We released linebackers Lindsey Witten and Johnny Williams, and long snapper Matt Stewart.

In their places are Pouncey, Worilds, and the Hotel.

Hines
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I guess Greg Warren is ready to go.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess Greg Warren is ready to go.

Yup.

Also, per Rotoworld:

The Steelers plan to keep Max Starks at left tackle this season, with newly signed Flozell Adams competing on the right side.

Adams isn't a clear upgrade in pass protection, but we'll see how long this lasts. While Starks can run block with the best of them, he's short on athleticism. For now, the Steelers' starting line looks to be LT Starks, LG Chris Kemoeatu, C Justin Hartwig, RG Trai Essex, RT Adams. Maurkice Pouncey will eventually win one of the inside spots. At least they're not trying Essex at left tackle, an idea that had disaster written all over it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/1076468-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Mr. Goosemahn
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Also per other sources:

- The Steelers cleared up potential confusion on the offensive line today by issuing a statement that newly signed OT Flozell Adams will play on the right side and Max Starks will stay on the left.

- Today is the conditioning test, which will be done after the team checks in.

Hines
07-30-2010, 04:57 PM
The Ravens are dropping like flies. Dominique Foxworth is out for the year after tearing his ACL today, Ed Reed starts the season on the PUP list, Sergio Kindle fractured his skull falling down the steps, and Jared Gaither gets carted off today with a hurt back. Now I hate the Ravens, but this is sad. I want to play them with our best and their best, but it seem like that wont happen in the first game.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-30-2010, 05:15 PM
The Ravens are dropping like flies. Dominique Foxworth is out for the year after tearing his ACL today, Ed Reed starts the season on the PUP list, Sergio Kindle fractured his skull falling down the steps, and Jared Gaither gets carted off today with a hurt back. Now I hate the Ravens, but this is sad. I want to play them with our best and their best, but it seem like that wont happen in the first game.

It seems that Gaither only had back cramps, but those could linger. In any case, yeah, it's not looking great for them. It sucks when a lot of your guys get injured, and it sucks that we won't play then with all their players. Complete Steelers vs. complete Ravens are awesome games to watch.

Ravens1991
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
regardless of injuries, the 1st game it wont be the same because you wont have big ben. The 2nd game should be awesome when Big Ben is back, and Reed and Webb should be as well.

I was just thinking about it the other day, I hate you guys but I <3 our rivlary. We are very fourtanete to be a part of something like this.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Quick, somewhat insignificant camp updates:

- LT Max Starks on the state of the offensive line: "We have a unit that's been together and has good chemistry, and we've added an experienced veteran who'll pick up the offense easily. I think we have the makings of a great unit."

- Conditioning test already done, no reports of anyone failing it. Go Hampton!

- Tomlin on rookies and expectations: "We're looking for guys with high football character who want to put their hand in the pile and help us be successful."

- Tomlin regarding QB rotation and reps: "Byron Leftwich is going to get a significant number of snaps, followed by Dennis Dixon. Before everything is done, Ben (Roethlisberger) will have a productive camp."

Mr. Goosemahn
07-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Couple updates:

- Roethlisbergar ran with the first-team offense, but after three plays he switched with Leftwich. After a little while, they rotated for the rest of the practice.

- Adams played with the first unit in the morning practice, with Essex playing as the starting RG.

- Pouncey didn't do the conditioning test yesterday, he missed it, so he instead did it this morning. Don't know how he did.

- Both Andre Frazier and Chris Scott are on the PUP list.

K Train
07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
like i said weeks ago

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-adams

gives the steelers the best chance and every single one of them is a tremendous run blocker, mendenhall could get 1500 yards behind that line.

eessex needs to be backup LT and backup LT only

bce
07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
like i said weeks ago

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-adams

gives the steelers the best chance and every single one of them is a tremendous run blocker, mendenhall could get 1500 yards behind that line.

eessex needs to be backup LT and backup LT only

I wouldnt bank on pouncey being the starter. Not the steeler way.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Its god levelling the playing field for the wrongs done to #7

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Couple of more updates from camp:

- Pouncey took the conditioning test today at 6:00 AM and, according to him, "passed it with flying colors."

- Ben got a great reaction from fans when he walked onto the field beside Ward.

- Hood had a good day, his best performance coming on the 1 vs. 1 drills. He was great there, and on three consecutive occasions beat Pouncey. Quoting Steelers.com, he "made Pouncey look like the rookie he is." Also, Hood "generally looked like a different player than the one who was the team’s No. 1 pick in 2009."

- Both Gibson and Worilds had up and down practices. Gibson showed off his great quickness, getting by linemen trying to block him, but he was overwhelmed in others. Worilds did well in the 1 vs. 1 blocking drills between LB and TE, but he was thrown down by Heath Miller. Nothing too surprising though, best veterans on the team vs. rookies.

- Antonio Brown had a great block on a Brandon Landon screen. His best play of the day.

- Sanders had a good day too. He showed of his speed and made a nice catch on a Leftwich pass.

- First big collision of camp happened, even though it wasn't too big. Mendenhall caught a pass from Roethlisberger and James Harrison popped him. Tomlin says Harrison backed off right before contact, but from various accounts, the hit was loud and it looked like a big hit. Both guys got up as if nothing happened, all part of practice.

- Tomlin says the veterans usually refrain from laying licks on other players. He said that Clark was in a position to lay one on Randle El, but just slipped beside him and kind of slapped him on the chest. Tomlin says Clark "showed that he’s a pro."

- Finally, two minor injuries. Both Hampton and Dwyer teaked their hamstrings. Hampton is day-to-day and no update was given on Dwyer.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
According to Rotoworld:

Steelers C Justin Hartwig admitted that he suffered a torn labrum against the Raiders in Week 13 last year. It's pretty impressive that Hartwig played out the final four weeks with such a severe injury. After undergoing offseason surgery, he should be ready to bounce back. Hartwig is being pushed by Doug Legursky at center.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_692957.html

Also Jeff Reed is calling out the organization:

Steelers franchise player K Jeff Reed ripped the organization Saturday, saying he was misled about their intention of signing him to a long-term deal.
Reed is none too happy about the $2.814 million he'll make this season on a one-year tender. "I understand business moves, but I'm not a big fan of lying," Reed said. "I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter." The Steelers don't need this from their kicker, especially from one that has had his share of off-field problems.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Early reports are that Flozell Adams' transition to RT has been virtually perfect so far (when it comes to the mental aspect of the game.)

Kugler only had rave reviews of him, and he said he's one of the most punishing runblockers he's ever coached. He said you can see the raw power he brings on one on one blocking drills.

Also, it was a great first day for almost everyone. Bruce Arians even said it was "the best first day I’ve ever been a part of.”

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
More updates:

- Mendenhall is down to 217 pounds. He said it will help him when it comes to speed. I'm not too sure I like the change, but we'll see. I hope it doesn't affect his ability to shake of first hits and get yards after contact. It doesn't really help that one of the first big hits in camp was Harrison on him.

- Mendenhall said he feels “light, explosive, quick, just really in good shape” after an offseason spent working on his speed and explosiveness.

- Speaking of Harrison, he himself was blown up by none other than Frank the Tank Summers. It was during a run-game scrimmage, and Summers ran to the outside and Harrison was in pursuit. At the moment of contact, Summers clearly won the contest, as he remained upright and Harrison wound up on his butt.

- Worilds struggled in the 1 on 1 drills vs. TE's. He was pancaked by both Miller and David Johnson. Gibson, on the other hand, had a great performance in those drills, repeatedly beating Spaeth and McHugh.

- Worilds also struggled against offensive linemen, while Gibson again had a great showing. Gibson played against the RT's, and he beat virtually everyone who lined up there. Gibson beat Adams, Jonathan Scott, and Ramon Foster on multiple occassions. The only guy who Worilds was able to beat was Tony Hills. :S

- Ziggy Hood was probably the defensive star of the day, as he was unblockable on on the 1 on 1 drills vs. offensive linemen. He made Pouncey look like a rookie and whipped Trai Essex on another occasion. He beat all the starters and then some. From what I've read, he didn't lose a single contest.

- Mike Wallace has been amazing so far. The only time a CB was able to stop him was when Bryant McFadden "smothered" him on a deep pass (perfectly timed, mind you) from Leftwich, which Wallace never reached.

- Apparently Randle El hasn't lost all of his explosiveness. He broke off for a large gain on a reverse play, after a great block from Isaac Redman, which got him a public praise. Randle El also had a great juke right after making the catch, making the DB slip and getting a lot of extra yardage.

- Pouncey impressed coaches and his peers by the way he finished blocks and never gave up on plays. He drove defenders down and didn't stop working until it was all done. He mainly ran at RG with the second unit, but he also played some RG with the starters as well.

- And again, the only two injuries were “aggravated hamstrings” for Hampton and Dwyer. Hampton is day-to-day and Dwyer said he was "fine" and would keep practicing.

Jakey
08-01-2010, 04:08 PM
*Frank Summers came out wearing the 43 jersey of Troy Polamalu. Fans thought he was Polamalu.
*Not practicing today, NT Casey Hampton, WR Mike Wallace, RB Jonathan Dwyer, G Maurkice Pouncey, and T Ramon Foster all sitting out today.
*Trai Essex working at starting right guard in place of Pouncey with Kraig Urbik working behind him.
*Antwaan Randle El is working opposite Hines Ward in place of Wallace today.
*Cornerback Bryant McFadden very vocal today.
*Reported now that Wallace might practice some today.
*Byron Leftwich opens as starter in team drills today. Ben Roethlisberger going second.
*Rookie linebackers Thaddeus Gibson and Jason Worilds looking good in backs on backers drills. Worilds struggled on Saturday.
*Running back Isaac Redman holds own during backs on backers drill. Undrafted free agent Renauld Williams battling in drill as well.
*Roethlisberger gets work and hits rookie receiver Antonio Brown with a pass.
*Roethlisberger hits Hines Ward over the middle in hurry up offense.
*Roethlisberger beats blitz hits Heath Miller for touchdown, coverage by linebacker James Farrior.
*Antonio Brown catches another down the middle from Roethlisberger in second team work.

DeathbyStat
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I went to training camp today.

Just a few thoughts, Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders looked really smooth and fast.

During scrimmages the defense was consistently beating the Oline and living in the back field.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
- Gibson is beasting it out there. He was 6-1 in backs on backers drills, the only guy who could beat him was Redman, and it wasn't a clear victory. He beat virtually every RB. Mendenhall (twice!), Moore, Summers, Redman, McHugh, and David Johnson all participated against him, and only Redman could handle him.

- Redman is getting glowing reviews from Tomlin for his blocking. Even though he's not played FB (yet), he's already had some great blocks.

- Nothing so far on Demetrius Taylor.

- Worilds is being outplayed by Gibson. And it's not that Worilds is playing bad, he's playing like a rookie, it's just that Gibson is truly beasting it out there.

- There were two minute drills today: Roethlisberger led the first team offense. He had two good plays. On one, he eluded pressure by running to the left of the field and getting a good chunk of yardage on a completion to Ward over the middle of the field for a first down. He also had a TD pass on ensuing play (maybe two or three plays in between though) to Miller, who was being covered by Farrior.

- Leftwich led the second team. They didn't score though. Had a nice completion with Spaeth for a first down on a 3rd and 1 (AARRGG! Arians keeps passing on 3rd and ones!!!), but four straight incompletions afterwards (ARRRGGG! No runs!). One pass was broken up by Foote, another was dropped by Antonio Brown after it hit him square in the chest, and another was either an erroneous pass or an erroneous route by Sanders, but they couldn't connect.

- Couple more injuries now, but still nothing serious. Hampton continues to be day-to-day with his hamstring. Dwyer and Pouncey also have hamstring issues, but they're practicing, though with somewhat limited contact. Chris Scott won't be playing anytime soon, still has the tough foot injury he developed over the summer (could be he's recovering from surgery though). Andre Frazier is day-to-day with his knee. And Ramon Foster suffered a mild concussion on Saturday and didn't practice today. He did take the concussion tests and did well, so he will participate in some drills tomorrow, but similar to Dwyer and Pouncey, with limited contact.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I went to training camp today.

Just a few thoughts, Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders looked really smooth and fast.

During scrimmages the defense was consistently beating the Oline and living in the back field.

Cool, did you get any autographs?

How are the old-new guys looking? Foote, McFadden, and Randle El?

Also, are the things I'm reading about Gibson true? Is he really tearing it up?

Mr. Goosemahn
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Ben Roethlisberger got another friendly ovation today and also earned some good-guy points. A little boy was being pushed around by the crowd pretty good, and Roethlisberger saw him, autographed a sneaker and gave it to him.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Deshea Townsed has signed with the Indianapolis Colts.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693044.html

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Good read on Ziggy Hood. And it's good to hear he's faster and stronger than last year at 310 lbs. now.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693011.html

DeathbyStat
08-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Cool, did you get any autographs?

How are the old-new guys looking? Foote, McFadden, and Randle El?

Also, are the things I'm reading about Gibson true? Is he really tearing it up?

I'm not much of an autograph seeker.

Mcfadden and Foote didn't really stand out to me, Timmons looked great blitzing.

Randle looked better than I expected and was happy and energetic for the entire practice

As far as Gibson the linebacker vs running back drills were too far away from where I was sitting so I couldn't tell.

Hines was entertaining the people booed when he dropped a pass, and then cheered when he did push ups to make amends.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 12:40 PM
More updates:

- Hines Ward, James Farrior, Casey Hampton, and Aaron Smith got the morning practice off for being veterans. They still are there giving pointers to younger players.

- Pouncey is out today (again) due to a hamstring, but Ramon Foster is back, participating in drills. His concussion was minor.

- Dwyer is also dressed and practicing, running well, hamstring isn't an issue.

- Jason Worilds is having trainers examine his right knee.

- According to Ed Bouchette, there have been some talks inside the organization about starting Pouncey at center from the getgo. He will eventually wind up there, but the question is whether to acclimate him at RG, like the Bills are doing with Wood, or keep him at C, like the Browns did with Mack. Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10214/1077049-66.stm).

- Bouchette says: While Pouncey has the coaching staff's official stamp as competitor to start at right guard, it became quickly evident that he was the most talented center in camp after his first two practices Saturday, which went well. That's pretty damn good to hear.

- The best rookies so far have been Thaddeus Gibson and Jason Worilds, in that order. Gibson has been the best "by far," and some reports say he's played "better than some veterans," displaying a monstrous first step and an ability to match offensive linemen's physicality. He has beaten them with both speed and strength. He always plays at full speed and is described as "raw power."

- Worilds hasn't been quite as dominant, but has had a great couple of practices himself. Reporters are suggesting that it shouldn't surprise fans to see both guys get a healthy amount of playing time as situational pass-rushers during the regular season.

Hines
08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
A part of me wishes Shea doesn't make the team so he can come back to Pittsburgh when/if someone gets injured. Dude was a real underrated part of our defense and a great guy.

Hines
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, I think we lead the NFL in sacks. If reports of Hood, Worilds, and Gibson performing well, they'd join and fit in well.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
- Early reports are that Ziggy Hood looks like a new man. He's been nothing but dominant in linemen drills.

- Reed kind of backed down from calling the Steelers FO liars. He now said: "All I can do is play the year out. That's pretty much it."

- Pouncey hurt his hamstring doing a second conditioning test, which made little sense as he'd clearly passed his first one. It is now being reported that he was 15 minutes late for the first one (at 6:00 AM) and Tomlin made him run another one later one, which is where he hurt the hammy.

- Mendenhall's fumbling issues are back, apparently. He's had multiple ones already, and he came out to drills holding a football in his hands. Back to basics, I guess.

K Train
08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
<3 <3 <3 <3 gibson

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
More updates:

- BMac is looking good, back to 08 Steelers form. Also, he's apparently the vocal leader of the defense.

- Antonio Brown has "a little 86 in him" when he blocks.

- Tony Hills has been "brutal again" so far, and it's not looking good for him. He's stronger than last year, but that's pretty much it.

- Jason Worilds has something on his right knee. Trainers have looked at it multiple times.

- Redman was called out by Tomlin as being the best player in the backs on backers drills. He even showed his highlights during a team meeting. Some argue Gibson was better, but Tomlin believes defensive players have an advantage since they start the drill running while RB's and FB's are just standing there.

- Art Rooney II sought out Reed and had a man-to-man talk with him. Reed will play out the season under the arrangements of the franchise tag.

- Unofficial snap count for QB's during team drills: Byron 44, Ben 44, Dixon 22.

- Why LB Coach Keith Butler stayed in Pittsburgh instead of going to become Miami's defensive coordinator: "Probably more than anything else working with Mike Tomlin."

- Neither Pouncey nor Dwyer appear to be practicing today in the afternoon.

- Worilds practiced a little bit, but is sidelined again.

- Team doing 11 on 11 drills with Leftwich leading the first team offense.

- Polamalu is looking really good. Doesn't appear his knee injuries are slowing him down at all.

- Stefan Logan returning kicks, had a couple "huge" returns. Emmanuel Sanders is going after Logan.

- 7 on 7 drills now, Dixon not really getting any love. Has rarely worked with the first team offense.

- Redman had a couple of nice runs during team drills. Once again, it appears he'll be one of training camp's stars.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 04:46 PM
- Mendenhall might have a minor toe injury, I'll look into it.

- Pouncey had tests done on his hamstring, looks like it's ready to go.

- Polamalu is happy, healthy, and played catch with kids after practice.

- Mendenhall's loss of weight is not helping him much, according to sources. It has hindered his ability to block and to take on contact. Let's see if he doesn't try to regain it sooner or later.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Some updates:

- Mendenhall does, in fact, have a toe injury. He got it stepped on during morning practice but it's supposedly not too serious. He's listed day-to-day.

- Tomlin doesn't want to talk about Polamalu and his health, he says that as long as he's cleared medically to train, he'll train.

- Hampton trained in the afternoon, though in limited fashion. The hamstring injury seems to be wearing off.

- Worilds has an injured hamstring, don't know how ugly the injury is, but it's supposedly not too bad.

- LB Andre Frazier did some light running today. Injury is close to healing.

- We released FB Demetrius Taylor and signed FB Dwayne Wright, who most recently played with the Eagles. Really disappointing to see Taylor cut so early, I really wanted him to become a good FB for us. Just a blocker, nothing more. Guess he just didn't play well. At all.

K Train
08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
taylor was short lived high hopes

K Train
08-03-2010, 07:07 AM
im reading alot about pouncey destroying everything they throw at him. hartwig says its impossible to play center in the NFL right out of college even though mack and mangold beg to differ, but honestly i think playing with 4 linemen and laying the ball on the ground without a center would be better than seeing hartwig get steamrolled. at least then the other 4 guys wont be able to assume he can handle his assignments

terribletowel39
08-03-2010, 07:54 AM
im reading alot about pouncey destroying everything they throw at him except Hood. hartwig says its impossible to play center in the NFL right out of college even though mack and mangold beg to differ, but honestly i think playing with 4 linemen and laying the ball on the ground without a center would be better than seeing hartwig get steamrolled. at least then the other 4 guys wont be able to assume he can handle his assignments

Fixed it for you. I know it is just training camp but you are the person that has hated on him the most and haven't said anything about his positive news. :) just saying.

K Train
08-03-2010, 08:13 AM
never have i said hood is a bad player....i hated the pick and still do since i dont think hes much of a 34DE, but ive always said hes going to be a good interior pass rusher....i just dont think that warrants a first round pick, at least not for the steeler defense. him playing well in one on ones doesnt surprise me. i hated the urbik pick wayyy more than the evander one and im pretty sure he'll be on the roster bubble which makes me sooooo happy

and that was just the first day when he made pouncey "look like a rookie"...be interesting to see if pouncey starts getting the better of him as camp goes on

Mr. Goosemahn
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Interesting. Apparently we're going to give Heath a chance to be a playmaker for us.

Heath Miller is looking like a go-to option in Pittsburgh, giving him an opportunity to shine. With Hines Ward turning 34 a few months ago, Santonio Holmes traded to the New York Jets and Mike Wallace attempting to fill Holmes' cleats, it looks like the Steelers are finally going to turn their $35 million tight end loose and allow him to become more of a playmaker in the mold of San Diego's Antonio Gates, San Francisco's Vernon Davis and Indianapolis' Dallas Clark. "He can stretch the (defense) and do so many things utilizing him in that area of the field," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday. ... "We have been working him split-out and motioning him and getting him involved, because he really is a third wide receiver."

Mr. Goosemahn
08-03-2010, 10:06 AM
So apparently James Harrison was playing through injuries late in the year, which is why his production dipped.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693156.html

Can't believe he's aiming for 22 sacks. If he gets his 22, and Woodley gets his 20+, and Timmons gets his 18+, we're going to be unstoppable. 60+ sacks between three guys.

I think only one of them will meet their goal, though. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be enough sacks for everybody.

DeathbyStat
08-03-2010, 10:18 AM
So apparently James Harrison was playing through injuries late in the year, which is why his production dipped.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693156.html

Can't believe he's aiming for 22 sacks. If he gets his 22, and Woodley gets his 20+, and Timmons gets his 18+, we're going to be unstoppable. 60+ sacks between three guys.

I think only one of them will meet their goal, though. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be enough sacks for everybody.

I think he would get more sacks if they called holding when tackles wrap their arms around his neck as he comes around the corner

PittPete
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Also do you notice that in other games, that clotheslining is called every time, only when #92 in black & gold is it ignored. I don't think sacks tell the whole story for production though. I watch JH closely pretty much every play, and think that he reached a higher plateau last year as for being a smart lb. He was virtually never out of position, impossible to run against and needed double teaming constantly.

Hines
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I think Heath should be spread out wide and should be our go to option the first four weeks of the season. I like that move.

DeathbyStat
08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Also do you notice that in other games, that clotheslining is called every time, only when #92 in black & gold is it ignored. I don't think sacks tell the whole story for production though. I watch JH closely pretty much every play, and think that he reached a higher plateau last year as for being a smart lb. He was virtually never out of position, impossible to run against and needed double teaming constantly.

Totally agree, I think I saw them call it once I think the last time they called it was in the super bowl

Mr. Goosemahn
08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Updates:

- Hartwig was the first man out to practice.

- Morning practice was short and dedicated solely to special teams.

- Dwyer, Hampton, and Worilds all out during the morning practice.

- Mendenhall worked in limited fashion.

- Hampton, Dwyer, and Worilds sidelined in afternoon practice.

- Team doing 9 on 9 drills, Pouncey is the 2nd team's RG.

- Mendenhall isn't working with first team. Redman and Moore taking turns there.

- Redzone drill starting, Leftwich is starting QB.

- Sanders is being given every chance to win the #3 WR job and so far he's looking good.

- There will be no practice on Saturday as the entire team will travel to honor coach Dick LeBeau in his induction into the Hall of Fame.

Hines
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm going to the night practice on Friday.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm going to the night practice on Friday.

Awesome. Hopefully Dwyer, Hampton, Mendenhall, and Pouncey are all set to go so you can see them in all their greatness.

Also, is friday night the team game?

Mr. Goosemahn
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
# Leftwich looked better than Dennis Dixon in redzone offense throwing frozen ropes.
# Heath Miller great corner route touchdown.
# Emmanuel Sanders makes several great catches in redzone drill.
# Ryan Clark popped the rookie Sanders on one catch and Sanders popped right up.
# The schooling of Tony Hills continues this time at the hands of Scott Paxson.
# Roethlisberger pulling out his pump fake quite a bit.
# Dixon nice touchdown pass in 7 on 7.
# Frazier remains working on the side as he remains on the PUP list.
# Players race for the golf carts after the horn blows.
# Nick Eason dehydrated today per Tomlin.
# Jonathan Dwyer status quo and termed as-is with hamstring per Tomlin.

bce
08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Any info on any of the other draft picks? crezdon butler, worthington, antonio brown,stevenson sylvester, the guy from tennessee?

Steelersfan4life
08-03-2010, 09:09 PM
The guy from tennessee is out of training camp with a hurt foot or something like that. The rest I don't know.

brat316
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
The guy from tennessee is out of training camp with a hurt foot or something like that. The rest I don't know.

Eh OT Chris Scott, I thought it was a waste of a pick.

How has Worthington and Sylvester looked so far?

Jakey
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
How has Worthington and Sylvester looked so far?

Worthington has been pretty solid apparently, beating a fair few of the olinemen. Sylvester wet up high and picked off a Charlie Batch throw in 7's on 7's.

Thats all ive heard so far dude!

Hines
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Awesome. Hopefully Dwyer, Hampton, Mendenhall, and Pouncey are all set to go so you can see them in all their greatness.

Also, is friday night the team game?

IIRC, it's when they do the GL drill.

K Train
08-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Notes from Monday’s practice:

Leftwich and Spaeth are the first ones down. Maybe Lefty knows he’s in a dogfight for the starter’s spot for those four precious first games, so he’s showing a little hustle. London, Johnson and Miller are right behind him.

Spaeth takes some balls from the jugs machine, squared up. The ball skips four yards short, and so does the second one. They have to make some kind of adjustment to it that nobody can seem to figure out and it eats away the tight ends’ catching session.

The quarterbacks are taking their leisurely warm ups. # out of the first 6 passes Lefty throws are wobbly, the others are spirals. 3 out of Batch’s first 4 passes flutter. Ben throws 5 and 1 flutters. Lefty throws a couple of nose divers. Dixon’s first five throws are tight spirals, then the next one is in the dirt.

Urbik is practicing his shotgun snap. The first one is high and to the right. The second one’s a duck, low and to the left. Third one’s right there, decent pace, good location.

Dixon’s next seven warm up throws are either on the numbers on in the facemask.

Lefty’s warming like a long time vet warms up. His stuff is wabbling, he’s not worried about footwork, he’s just worried about getting the arm stretched. On the other hand, Dixon warms up like he’s Goose Gossage in the bullpen. He’s getting more and more pace on it, he’s bouncing around like a seven year old, while Lefty looks like a seven year-old’s dad. Lefty’s looking at him and you can almost see the “wait’ll your knees are thirty years-old kid” smirk.

Lefty’s thowing a lot of sinkers with the nose down when he throws the short stuff. It’s only when he lofts it up a bit that he gets the thing turning over and in a clean spiral.

Dixon tries one rolling to the right and kind of throwing back across his body. Not too good of a throw. Looks like an interception waiting to happen.

Walk throughs:

Hartwig, Kemo, Maxie, Essex and Adams the line. I don’t see Pouncey out there, they must be holding him out of practice.

Lefty under center, Hines splits right, Wallace left, Miller tight on the left. Lefty hits Miller on a short buttonhook.

Wallace and Ward split right, Randel El to the left. Lefty hits Randel El going straight down the middle.

4 wides, Grisham and London left and Brown and Sanders split right. Ben under center. Lofts it to Sanders who pulls it in at his thighs.
Brown splits right Grisham left, Ben drops back and hits Grisham on a short crossing pattern over from the back slot.

Ben hits Brown out of the left slot in the flat.

Brown and Grisham split right, Sanders split left. Redman in the backfield. Ben takes the snap and hits Brown on a deep crossing pattern. The ball slapped audibly on his hands as he caught it.

On the far field it looks like the defense is practicing every different combination of four of the front seven coming on slants in both directions.

Brown right, Sanders and London left. London comes in motion. Dixon rolls out to the left and runs with it on the designed run. They’re gonna have to make the opponent respect the roll left and throw before that one can really be effective.

Dixon hits London on a deep out to the right, but the throw was behind him and he had to spin back to get it and it turned him completely around.

Wallace is screwing around a bit.

Dixon drops back to pass and hits Williams on a short out.

On the far field the defense is walking through bringing three in a nice tight formation, foot to foot when they line up.

Dixon hits London on an out pattern to the right, Ben’s screwing around, he could have had an interception but let the ball get through. Doesn’t look like a guy who looks too freakin’ worried to me. I heard he was nervous about the fans’ response, but I seriously doubt it. This guy deals with all the pressures that come with being an NFL QB, and he doesn’t look bothered by anything. Outside the lines, I may want a saint, but I wouldn’t want a QB who let a little scandal weigh on him inside the lines.

Ward split right, and Lefty hits Vincent in the left flat.

Lefty hits Wallace coming down the left sideline. Wallace is showboating a bit. I hope he’s not getting Ochocinco syndrome.

Looks like LeBeau is designing a few plays that feature Harrison. I’ve never seen a couple of them, then they run I’ve seen where they use Smith and Casey to kind of act as lead blockers to spring Harrison on a slight delay. Attack mode.

Dixon hits Redman out of the backfield and the ball slaps his hands a bit.

Now LeBeau is running some stuff designed to feature Timmons in a similar way to Harrison. Never gonna know which one’s coming.
Dixon hits Brown, and Brown makes a smooth catch on a ball over his head.

Brown, London to the right. Dixon drops back and throws it to London on an out pattern, but London had to come back for it.

Reed lines up for a 38 yard field goal. Hills is LT, Urbik is LG, Legursky is RT, Jones is RG, Warren the snapper. Mchugh has the back side. On defense, it looks like were sending Ike and Burnett off the edges. Dorian Brooks takes some snaps and they look pretty good. It would be nice to have him on the roster as a backup long snapper, but I don’t know if his guard skills are worth keeping.

Butler and McFadden are the backup edge rushers.

Ziggy, Hoke and Smith are the inside on the kick blocking team, with Moore trying to come over the top.

They run through a fake, another ridiculous fake, this one with Hills split out left as a receiver and Jeff Reed gets a pitchout to the other side. Funny.

The next fake has Legursky split out right as a receiver. Sepulveda is the fake QB on the fake, and he throws a weak pass right to Harrison who intercepts it.

Time for stretching. Randel El shows a little enthusiasm and tries to fire up the team a bit.

Bright looks like he actually has fairly nimble feet for someone his size, just judging by how he’s skipping and scissor sliding.

Summers, Johnson, and Taylor are really stiff. Taylor’s legs are huge. Robert Newhouse has nothing on those thighs. Every time the leg lands, it sounds like a log thumping on the ground.

Wallace is shucking and jiving.

The defensive backs do a kind of skit, were they line up in two rows like they’re getting their team picture taken, and McFadden rolls back and front in front of them, then gets in line and they all say something (I think it’s “Boo”) not sure what the hell it means, but it’s pretty funny.

Ike and Tomlin are yapping through the warm-ups.

In drills, Ben goes first. Hands it off to Moore to the right. Haven’t seen Mendy. I assume they’re resting him since he’ll be getting the thing 350 times this year.

Dixon under center, Williams fakes coming in motion from the left. Hand off to Redman.

Miller comes in from the left and Moore gets it on the end around and gives it on the reverse to Wallace.

Dixon hits Sanders down the right sideline.

Redman gets one up the middle.

Down in the near corner, the tight ends and tackles practice double teaming the end with the tight end peeling off to cut off the inside flow behind the end once the end has been turned inside.

Hills and Spaeth work it, and Spaeth comes off in decent position

Foster doesn’t get a good push when he tries, stopped moving his feet. Madden would be riding his back over that.

Miller and Adams run it and they look good doing it.

There’s some throwing going on across the field and Logan makes a nice over the shoulder catch.

The defender gives a little harder resistance, and Spaeth doesn’t get good position, moving his feet slowly as he tries to drive the end in but never manages to get him in, so the backer slides across cleanly.

Johnson and Scott run the thing, and Johnson misses his guy too because he’s slow coming off the first block.

On the far field, the defense is firing out of the chutes and then immediately cutting left or right. Harris looks a little stiff coming out of the chute. Worthington looks a little better.

Ward has one skip off his hands on a high throw.

Foster runs the double team again, and he looks better doing it. Kyle Jolly runs it well, but McHugh is a little weak on turning the end in.

Bright does a nice job of peeling off and getting the man coming across. He got good quick position.

Johnson runs it again, perfectly this time.

Across the field, the defensive linemen are sliding parallel to the three-man blocking sled, slamming each one as they go by.

Worthington’s slide is slow and his punch on the sled is weak.
McLendon looks even slower than Worthington.

Harris isn’t quite as slow, but not that much better.

Paxson looks quicker, but he doesn’t dent to sled dummies like Harris, doesn’t get quite the same extension in his arms. His is more of a slap.

Ziggy’s about like Harris, except maybe he hits the sled a little harder.

Jonathan Scott tries the double team, and he’s leaning on his man instead of hitting and diving.

QB’s are practicing the quick hit to the sideline. Ben hits Hines.

Lefty hits Grisham, not as quickly.

Dixon hits Battle quickly.

Lefty throws behind Sanders, but Sanders spins around and catches it.

Ben throws behind Williams, but Williams holds on.

Worthington hits the sled again, and again he’s weak hitting the sled dummies. This simulates giving blockers a pop as you slide down the line. The way Worthington’s hitting the sled, he’ll be five yards down field by the time he gets to the ball because every nudge from a guy he passes will push him back a bit. He needs to hit the sled harder.

They have Worthington try, and then try for a third time. Same result. The coaches talk to him for a while.

Ziggy and Eason look good down the line. Casey looks good down the line, he caves in the sled dummy the most, but Aaron Smith is the best combination of quickness and power when he’s popping the sled. He still has it.

Hoke and Kiesel hit it quickly and efficiently.

Ben throws behind Battle.

Dixon hits Grisham in the numbers.

Batch throws a little high to Williams, but he pulls it in.

Lefty’s too high for Sanders.

Ben hits Brown in the numbers.
Dixon’s a little low to Logan, not an easy thing to do. The ball nosedived.

Lefty hits London, and London makes a nice sideline catch.

Running backs take turns on the blocking sled. Taylor takes it for a ride. None of the other backs hit it nearly as hard.

Batch throws a semi-duck to Randel El, and he bobbles it.

Dixon throws a little behind Grisham.

Dixon leads Battle perfectly.

Batch hits Williams on a down, out and up.

Dixon a little behind Logan on a down out and up.

Brown drops his from Batch.

London makes the catch on his.

Hines runs a nice deep out and come back.

Randel El makes a nice catch on a high ball.

Lefty hits Sanders in the numbers.

Batch throws one behind Williams and Williams can’t make the catch.

Ben leads Brown perfectly.

The linemen practice the use of their hands by lining up facing each other and trying to get good hand position.

Essex is slow in getting his hands in place on Legursky.

Scott has slow hands as well.

Brooks looks weak trying to get hand position on Jolly.

Starks uses his hands well to get them inside on Hills.

Hartwig uses his hands wrong on Jones.

Urbik uses his hands wrong, has them too far outside, a holding waiting to happen.

Kemo shows the quickest hands of all in locking up Jones.

Legursky having trouble getting hand positioning on Essex.

Adams doesn’t really use his hands, he just kinda leans on people.

Jolly has problems trying to get inside position on Brooks.

Hills uses his hands pretty well on Starks.

Jones gets position on Hartwig, pretty quickly.

Foster looks slow trying to get his hands in position.

Across the field, linebackers are practicing coverage.

Timmons has good coverage and bats the ball down.

The running backs are practicing pass blocking.

Summers shows really good form, sets up well.

Taylor gets a little turned. He’s awesome coming straight forward, but it’s a little harder for him to go side to side.

Ben throws behind Randel El.

Lefty hits Wallace in stride.

Batch hits Battle in stride.

5 yard out patterns.

Ben hits Brown in the numbers.

Lefty hits Sanders in stride.

Batch hits Williams in stride.

Lefty hits Logan in the tiny numbers.

Ben hits Ward on an out-in-out. Where the hell he plans to get the time to wait for Ward to run a triple move, I’ll never know.

Batch throws behind Randel El, and Randel makes a nice catch. (It may be that Batch wasn’t behind, but that Randel El didn’t sell the in enough before cutting out the second time.) Nope. Batch starts cussing a bit. His fault.

Lefty hits Grisham, but Grisham had to wait a little too long for the ball. He had to sit on the patter for a half step.

Batch hits Williams nicely.

Dixon hits Wallace in stride.

Ben throws the ball way too early. Brown hadn’t even started coming back outside and the ball was by him.

Dixon hits Logan in the numbers.

Lefty throws a duck, a little high for Logan.

Ben to Hines, perfect.

Someone throws it behind Wallace.

Lefty hits Sanders in stride on a deep out and up.

Ben drops back, and is a little behind Brown. Bown had to wait for it a bit.

Lefty lobs one over Logan’s shoulder. Logan does a nice jog getting to it, but bobbles it just a bit.

The defensive backs are practicing backpedaling, swiveling back and forth.

Will Allen looks fairly limber.

Lewis looks a little slow making his pivots back and forth.

Williams makes a nice sideline catch to keep his feet in.

Ben hits Battle in the numbers.

Grisham with a very nice catch on a ball way behind him by Lefty.

Dixon hits Sanders in stride.

Lefty with a perfect pass to Logan, and Logan drops it.

Dixon leads London perfectly.

Polamalu isn’t going full speed on the backpedal drills.

Practicing a quick throw to the right, Lefty’s ball wobbles.

Tight ends are practicing blocking the LB’s.

Gibson beats Johnson with a rip move.

Worilds gets around McHugh quite easily. He fakes a move to his right then slithers around the other side by getting his right shoulder really low and ripping under McHugh’s right arms. Worilds looks like a contortionist as he does it, he’s 2 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than Harrison, but it looks like he gets his shoulders just as low when he’s coming around the end, and he doesn’t lose any speed up field as he does it. That’s gonna be tough to stop.

Partial team scrimmage. The line and running backs are on the near field while the receivers and corners are on the far field.

First play on the near field has the usual offensive line with Miller tight to the right and Moore in the backfield. It’s a handoff up the middle. Essex moved Farrior out of the hole, but Timmons came over from the back side and filled it nicely.

I formation with Summers as the lead blocker and Moore back. Play gets stuffed by Smith and he gets a little backside help from Timmons and Harrison who’d been looping over on a run blitz. Moore fumbled at the end of the play.

Coaches have seen enough of Smith, he comes out and Ziggy comes in. Miller comes in motion, to the right. Adams blocks down on Ziggy and seals him off inside, Miller kicks out the outside contain and Redman cuts it up through the hole quickly. Would have been a decent gain.

On the far field, London lines up to the right against McFadden. McFadden jams him at the line so hard, London falls down and McFadden just hovers over him then jams him again for good measure as he tries to get up. London never gets to run his route. I know McFadden’s good at jamming guys at the line, but London has to put up a better fight that that.

Williams comes out on Ike. Williams gives a nice head fake outside then runs a deep skinny post and has a step on Ike. Lefty throws the ball behind him, but Williams had Ike beat.

Sanders comes out on ***. Sanders starts in on a deep slant then cuts it outside with a nice fake, leaves *** two steps behind but Ben underthrows it.

On the near field, Vincent and Dixon in the back field. Hand off to Vincent. Foot gets sealed off inside, and Worilds gets ridden outside around the play. Vincent cuts it up but the inside of the line pursues well and would have held it to a short gain.

Pittman does a nice job of jamming Logan at the line, but Logan eventually skitters around him and gets some separation with his speed. He’s open and drops the ball.

Handoff to Summers and Bailey slices in and chops him down at the knees in the backfield before he can get going.

Battle lines up against Harris, and he completely spins him around on a down, in and out. The ball was underthrown, but he had Harris cleanly beat.

I formation with Moore dotting the I, Spaeth whiffs on Bailey, but Moore beats Bailey outside and cuts around him.

Grisham lines up against Butler. He tries a couple quick moves, but Butler is all over him, good reflexes and change of direction. Blanket coverage.

Handoff to Moore around the right side. Hills buried RaShon Harris inside. Decent hole.

Brown lines up against Ike and gets two steps on him down the sideline. I don’t want to be an alarmist. Maybe I’m reading too much into it and I’m paranoid because of the Farrior decline last year, but it looks to me like Ike has lost a quarter step. If you’re the NFL’S fastest man like Darrel Green, you can lose a little because you’re still super fast. If you’re a corner with great instincts and hands like a Ty Law, you can lose a step and still be effective. Ike’s just not that kind of a player. I’m a big Ike supporter, but that’s only as long as he has his speed. If a guy like Ike loses a step, his worth is diminished exponentially. Going into the season with McFadden as your best corner is not a good place to be, regardless of how good the pass rush may be. Hope I’m wrong. Hope he just ate something that doesn’t agree with him.

Redman goes in motion, handoff to Summers. Oooo, he gets dropped by Worthington, who must’ve forgotten there’s no hitting the backs in these things.

Brown is working on Harris. Brown runs a ten yard come back and Harris can’t come up out of his backpedal fast enough. Brown catches it with room enough to make a move after the catch.

Essex moves Ziggy out of the way on a run play.

Logan comes out on Lewis and Lewis has great inside position on him and is stride for stride. Logan slips trying to make his last cut, but he was covered anyway.

Sanders comes out on McFadden. He tries a double move, and stop out and go, but McFadden doesn’t bite and he’s all over it and would have had an interception except Sanders manages to knock it out.

They break into two groups to try some kickoff blocking.

They run Lewis as a gunner and Battle drops back to try to block him. Lewis gets around him.

They try Pittman as a gunner, but Sylvester blocks him cleanly.

They run Grisham as the gunner, and Timmons stuffs him. Interesting that they use linebackers and defensive backs to block the gunners. I guess they are more used to zeroing in on someone in open space like that. It’s just like making an open field tackle without the tackle part.

They send IsaiahWilliams as the gunner at Mundy. Williams tries a couple moves, but Mundy doesn’t fall for it and has perfect position.

They send Thornton down against Renauld Williams. Williams looks terrible, trying to find the spot to stop and getting his bearings when he turns around to find Thornton.

They try Gibson as a blocker, but he gets back slow. Doubt he’ll be on the return team.

They send *** as the gunner at Will Allen, and Allen looks smooth getting back and making the block.

They send Sylvester at Fox, and Fox looks good getting back and blocking him.

Bailey does a good job on the block.

Harris makes a nice block.

Thronton looks stiff getting back and he gets beat. He didn’t turn around and find the gunner fast enough.

Gibson looks the same way, stiff and awkward. Looks like he’s more concerned with stopping on the exact spot where the coaches told him to stop than he is about making the block.

Timmons shows them how it’s done.

They send Fox at Sylvester, and Sylvester does a nice job of finding him and blocking him. Sylvester has the look of someone who can be a good special teams player, if nothing else.

They run a double team with Lewis and Thorton, and Lewis does a nice job of getting back and turning the gunner inside to where Thornton can pick him up.

Scrimage. This one’s a full scrimmage, not split.

Wallace and Randel El come out split right. Ward on the left. Miller’s tight to the left. Burnett comes on a blitz, and would have slaughtered Lefty. Wallace beats McFadden on a deep come back pattern and Lefty hits him in the numbers. That was a breakdown on the right side of the o-line. Essex or Hartwig should have picked up the backside delay.

Timmons tiptoes up to the line. Farrior coming on the back side and Timmons coming up the middle. The play’s a completion on a quick receiver screen to Ward on the left, but the defense was in there so quick, I think Timmons would have blown it up. The line has to hold them up longer than that on a screen.

Ward and Wallace split right, Randel El left with Moore in the T-formation split with Miller. Polamalu comes up to the line and shows a blitz. He’s coming. Wallace runs an in pattern and Lefty throws it high and behind him. McFadden is right there. He would have cut him in half. Lefty can’t leave our guys hung out to dry like that.

London and Brown split right. Ben’s under center and has Miller in the backfield as the lead blocker, with Wallace coming in motion from the left. Fox gets picked up on the inside blitz. London runs a crossing pattern and McFadden has perfect inside position, but Ben throws a perfect pass, high enough that McFadden can’t get it but London reaches up that 6’4” frame and catches it at the top of the arc over McFadden. London spins and turns it up field, and Burnett chops it out of his hands. That’s a catch and fumble.

Lewis and Gibson come in, Gibosn as LOLB. Eason’s in the middle now. Ziggy’s in as the RDE. Bailey teases up to the line. Ben has Johnson and Moore in a T-formation, with Moore to the right. Ben drops back to pass. No pressure. Vincent gets behind Foote coming out of the backfield. Ben throws a perfect touch pass over Foote, but it skips off Vincent’s hands.

Allen, Burnett, Mundy, and Harris come in as the DB’s. Brown and Grisham split right. Ben has Moore in the backfield. Good pressure from Bailey on an inside blitz. Burnett has good coverage on Grisham on the crossing pattern. Ben forces it in and throws it where only Grisham could get it, low and away, but Grisham can’t hold on. Would have been a good catch.

Dixon comes in to QB. Gibson’s up on the line at the left. Aaron Smith comes back in. Brown splits out right. London comes in motion from the left. Dixon on a designed run to the left. Fox sniffs it out and Worlids holds his ground on the right and they turn Dixon back inside right to Ziggy.

Urbik is in as the center. Logan splits right. Dixon in the sotgun. Drops back to pass. Isaiah Williams beats Butler on a 10 yard out.

Logan split right. Dixon drops back to pass and has to check down to Moore coming out of the backfield, but Renaud Williams had good tight coverage. Dixon forced it in.

Lefty in at QB. Ziggy’s in the middle. Pittman’s in as the left corner and Ward lines up across from him. Wallace split right. Burnett comes on the blitz and has a clear shot at Lefty again. Play would have been dead. Lefty hits Redman out in the left flat. Redman made a nice catch, but the play would never have gotten off.

Woodley and Hoke come in. McFadden comes in as the left corner, and Burnett is the nickel. *** is the right corner. Randel El comes out to the left across from ***. *** has good tight coverage on him. Lefty forces it in there on a short out pattern to the left and he threads it in there. Randel El makes the catch, then stumbles and falls before he can turn it up field.

Wallace and Hines split right with Miller tight to the right. Lefty under center. Empty backfield. Lefty drops back to pass. Scott does a nice job blocking Woodley. Randel El beats Burnett on the left with an inside move, but Troy jumps the route and nearly has the interception.

Grisham and Brown come out split to the right. Spaeth and Sanders split left. Ben’s the QB with an empty backfield. Urbik is at RG now. Smith is in as the NT. Harrison blows around Spaeth like he’s standing still, dead QB. Ben takes off to the right with Smith and Kiesel giving chase, then throws it away.

They line up for kickoff drills, complete teams now.

Ziggy, Johnson and Spaeth are back as the deep lead blockers and Bailey up field from them. Reed kicks it off, Logan takes it 6 yards deep. Johnson destroys his man and Moore does a great job of blocking Butler. Nobody wanted to come up the middle toward Ziggy, but Logan cut it outside.

Burnett back to take the next kick, with Redman as his lead blocker. Reed kicks off and Burnett takes it at the goal line. The inside is clogged and Burnett makes a nice outside move, but Brown was there. He had him way back around the 10.

Logan back to take the next one. Butler's one of the gunners, and it looks like he came across the line too soon, off sides. Logan catches it and fakes Pittman out of his jock with a nice head fake inside and cut outside. Makes Pittman look like he's wearing concrete boots. Lewis is there to make the play around the 25.

Sanders drops back to take a kick. Reed kicks it off. Sanders takes it 6 yards deep and runs it out. Sanders fakes Grisham out nicely and takes it right up the gut with a nice bit of running, making quick cuts at the hole. McClendon finally gets him up around the 35.

Linemen line up to go one on one in pass ush drills. Kielsel beats Starks with a perseverance rush.

Receivers are running 10 yard outs. Lefty hits Wallace on the right and Wallace drops it. It was a little low, down around the shins, but catchable.

Kemo stuffs Paxson. Swallowed him up.

Legursky does a decent job blocking Hoke. Hoke tried a rip move and Legursky did a nice job of keeping his elbows in and stopping Hoke's charge.

Lefty drops back to pass. Miller runs a short out to the right on Woodley. Lefty throws too high, but Woodley was right there anyway and would have had it stopped.

Ziggy eats Adams alive with a powerful swim move. Adams didn't know what hit him.

Ra'Shon Harris tries to get around Starks, but Starks just rides him outside around the play.

Kemo locks Kiesel up nicely. Kiesel keeps the motor running and eventually yanks Kemo forward and gets by him, but it took a long time.

McClendon pushes Legursky into the backfield, way into the backfield. Easily.

Harrison has perfect coverage on Spaeth. Wallace beats Lewis on an in pattern. Had a couple yards of separation.

Essex stuffs Eason. Does a nice job of getting his hands inside on Eason's pads.

Lefty throws in behind Miller on the out. Mundy was there to make the play. Miller had to spin around to try to get it.

Worthington pops Hills then cleanly beats him on the outside speed rush. Hills still has trouble sliding out fast enough.

Ben hits Spaeth on the quick turn around and Fox and Mundy are right there.

Hills is still getting instructions from Kugler on the far field. They try it again, and he looks much better on Worthington this time.

Jones does a nice job standing up Ra'Shon Harris. Got under his pads.

Sanders betas Tuff Harris on a deep comeback to the left.

Ra'Son Harris jumps off sides. They try again, and Harris pushes Jones deep into the pocket. Looks like Jones gave up too many yards too fast. They're gonna run that again. Harris does it again. He's just overpowering Jones. The guys knees are buckling when Harris hits him.

Paxson shoots right around Hartwig. Someone says Hartwig is hurt. He looks terrible right now. They run it again, and he does a little better, but Paxson still gets too much penetration.

Ben drops back, but Tuff Harris has good position on Sanders on the crossing route. Ben forces it in there, but Harris knocks it down with the right hand reach-around.

McClendon gives Urbik a ride into the backfield. Urbik looks a little better than last year, but not enough. He and Hills are on very thin ice right now IMO.

Scott does a nice job stuffing Worthington.

Bailey has good coverage on Vincent on an out pattern, but Vincent makes the catch anyway.

Worthington beats Scott with a nice short chop across the arms and slap to the side. He faked like he was going out, then chopped and ripped inside.

Ra'Shon Harris pushes Hills into the backfield, then throws him aside and goes inside of him.

Timmons has tight coverage on Bright. Ben forces it in and puts in a spot where only Bright can get it, hits him in the hands. Bright drops it.

Jones does a nice job locking Paxson up.

Ziggy beats Hartwig.

Redman makes a nice catch on a low ball on his shoelaces. He had to come back for it in the right flat.

Worhtington shoves Brooks into the backfield way too easy. They try again, and he does it again. Brooks isn't getting much of a seal in the pass block.

Ziggy beats Jolly with a swim move before Jolly can make a move. I don't want to go overboard, and I want to see Ziggy play against someone else's line, but we can't block him one on one when he's coming up field. Let me put it this way, if we play a team with a line as bad as ours, they'll have to double team Ziggy because he has the shortest route to the QB. If we can face teams to double Ziggy on passing downs, then the opponent better hope their LT is exceptional or they'll have two double teams, one on Ziggy and one on Harrison. Once you force a team into tow double teams, then you not only get sacks, you get violent sacks. Lets say at some point, LeBeau devises a third and long defense that sends Ziggy, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons and Worilds at the Qb. I don't know what you call it, I'll just call in Wicked for now. You isolate Ziggy on the weakest guy between the guards and center to force the double there, and you get the TE and LT doubling on Harrison. You have to use a big body on Woodley. The o-line has to have really wide splits because they have to respect Woodley and Harrison off the edges, that means there's no guarantee that the double will be effective on Ziggy because he'll have a nice gap to shoot, and you'll have either Timmons or Worlids isoed on a back with a lot of room.

Dixon sends London in motion. He drops back, he's looking, looking, then pick the wrong guy, tries to check down to Vincent but Fox was all over him.

Dixon sends Grisham in motion, then drops back. He throws it toward Williams but *** had very tight coverage on the deep out. *** cuts under it and has it in his hands momentarily. Should have had an interception.

Sanders is on Butler, split out to the left. Redman goes in motion then comes up to the line. Batch is the QB. He hits Vincent coming out of the backfield. Butler had good coverage on the come back route on Sanders, then Sanders turned around and did a nice job leading the block on Butler as Vincent came up behind him with the ball.

The coach didn't like something about how Redman ran the route and he gives him some instructions. It felt like he didn't run the route right, like he was out there too quickly. It may have been a screen with Sanders as one of the lead blockers.

Sanders pushes Butler deep and fakes him with a head fake in them cuts out and comes back for the ball, but Batch underthrows the play (or Sanders ran it too deep)

Butler and Sanders line up across from one another again. Vincent goes in motion. Sanders gets good separation. Vincent makes a nice catch coming out of the backfield, but Butler peels off Sanders nicely and comes up to strip Vincent of the ball. Ra'Shon Harris picks it up and brings it back

Summers is in the backfield. Batch drops back, he pumps left, but 31 has great coverage on Brown (I don't have a number 31 in my program, he has made a couple nice plays, whoever he is) Thronton had good coverage on Moore swinging out of the backfield.

London splits out to the right on Pittman. McHugh goes in motion to the right. Batch with a play action fake, then drops back and hits McHugh in the hands at the forehead. McHugh drops the ball. Renauld Williams had good coverage in the zone and would have taken his head off.

Scrimage:

First team offense comes out, and Mundy comes out with the first team defense (I think Troy's done for the day). Wallace comes out to the right, tight. Batch sees something he doesn't like over there and starts yelling instructions. Miller comes in motion to the left. Handoff to Redman to the left. Nice hole at Kiesel's spot. Kemo's on the ground, rolling around in pain. Hope it's nothing serious. He gets up and seems to be oaky.

Wallace comes out to the right. Ward goes in motion. Hartwig stuffs Hoke in the midlle. Farrior almost has an interception, cutting in front of Ward on the slant. Those quick slants may not be all that effective because Lefty has such a long windup. He was late with the throw.

Wallace comes out with McFadden on him. Ward is split right with Ike on him. (again, I don't want to read too much into practice, but why would McFadden be on the speed man and Ike on the possession receiver). Will Allen coming on the blitz gets into the backfield, but Jones does a nice job of coming from the other side and pushing him wide. Wallace pushes McFadden deep then cuts inside and makes the catch.

Lewis and Burnett are the corners. Brown splits right, Grisham with Spaeth on the left. Spaeth goes in motion to the right. Harrison's coming in a hurry, quick pitch to Brown (or Summers, I just saw a 4) and Lewis is right there to give him a nice little shot on the sideline. Lewis showed good quickness in the zone to come and fill on that. I'll be curious to see how Lewis tackles. He still looks a little gangly to me.

McClendon is shooting the gap between Legursky and Urbik. Ben bobbles the snap, and Harrison is right there. He would have hammered him. Ben throws a nice touch pass to Sanders, but the play would never have gotten off.

Ziggy gets double teamed. Hoke loops around and is clean coming in. Butler has great coverage on London. Ben forces it in where only London can get it, but he drops it. Would have been a good catch. Looks like Butler doesn't respect London's speed, he played way up and tight on his, so that even a short little slant like this he as tight coverage on.

Johnson goes in motion to the left. Dixon drops back, and hands it to Redman, but Fox is right there. That was a blown line assignment. Fox was unaccounted for.

McHugh comes in motion to the right. Summers does a nice job of picking up Bailey on the delay. Brown drops a ball on a bad throw by Batch. Threw it behind him on a short out to the left sideline.

Logan splits out to the right with Burnett on him. Dixon sends him in motion. Dixon rolls out to the right with Adams leading. Vincent wipes out Burnett and Dixon gets some nice yardage.

Miller spilts out to the right. Lefty under center. Fakes the handoff, and flares it out to Summers in the left flat, but Clark came up and had him for a short gain.

Randel El split right, Miller in the right slot, Grisham in the left slot. Randle El must be in the wrong spot. Lefty gets him adjusted to the right spot. Smith is in Lefty's face and he throws it over him. McFadden has good position on Wallace but the pass sails.

Wallace and Randel El to the right, Miller coming in motion from the left. Essex stuffs Eason. Wallace takes the wide receiver screen. Would have been a nice gain. Lewis would have had him from the back side, but twenty yards down the field.

Sanders splits right. Redman in the backfield with Summers in front of him. Johnson goes in motion to the right. Dixon drops back topass. Worthington had a clean shot at him. Another breakdown along the line. Dixon checks down to Redman. Paxson and Worhtington were right there.

After practice, the backs are in the corner, taking turns hitting the sled with the ball in their hand. Looks like the coach didn't like how much the ball was popping loose

just a summary of yesterdays practices to skim through

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=354425#post354425

Credit: vrabinec

Hines
08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Give credit where you saw that! lol.

Sounds like my boy Emmanuel Sanders is performing so well. I can't wait to see him live and during the PS.

K Train
08-04-2010, 09:03 AM
lol there i put a link

Mr. Goosemahn
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
According to Arians, Ben has "never been better."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-coordinator%3A-Ben-Roethlisberger-never-better-080310

Mr. Goosemahn
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
lol there i put a link

Lol, I think that was posted on the official message boards right?

Anyway, some quick updates:

- Only one practice today.

- Goodell will meet with Roethlisberger before the season starts to inform him (and the team) if the suspension will be for 6 games or less.

- RB Dwayne Wright has been impressive in the few drills in which he's participated in. He's got a very "aggressive running style."

- RB/FB Dwayne Wright on himself: "I can do everything, but I'm more of a running back than a fullback. But when I'm called upon to block, I'll block. I have speed, I can catch, and I love to win."

- Pouncey and Foster are back practicing, while Mendenhall is only participating in individual drills.

- Polamalu is very impressed with Hood. "Ziggy is looking good," he said. "I feel he could start on any other team."

- Bruce Arians quotes: "Put the running game were it belongs and I think we're pretty potent offensively." "We want to improve the running game, but we damn well don't want to take a step back in the passing game."

- Casey Hampton said Ziggy Hood could very well be the strongest guy on the team. He said he's got "old man strength," while Hood has "weight-room strength," and that it shows by how he consumes offensive linemen at times.

K Train
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
summers has a concussion....which is good news

Mr. Goosemahn
08-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I've read that Pouncey struggles more at guard than at center. Granted, he still plays better at each position than the guys we've got, but he's a better "on the defender" player. At center, he takes on the defensive tackle almost immediately, while at guard he has to reach block a bit, where he kind of has mental lapses.

Still not much reporting on how he's doing though, due to the hammy injury. Hope the FO got this one right, as Iupati is beasting for San Fran. Granted, Iupati went one pick before, but I still think he would have traded up for him if we really wanted too.

But I have faith in Pouncey. Hopefully he becomes our next great center for a decade.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
summers has a concussion....which is good news

Given to him by what appears to have been a brutal hit by LB Larry Foote. Not the first big hit he's given this camp.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM
It's going to be great to see the first pre-season game. Pouncey vs. Suh. Great way to start measuring his ability.

tenorx
08-05-2010, 10:13 AM
During his media session at Steelers camp, Roger Goodell seemed to leave open the possibility Ben's suspension could be less than four games.

Horraaayyy Goodell!

Mr. Goosemahn
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
During his media session at Steelers camp, Roger Goodell seemed to leave open the possibility Ben's suspension could be less than four games.

Horraaayyy Goodell!

That's awesome, hopefully it's less than four. Goodell had already said that Roethlisberger did what he asked him to do and more, so ... I guess anything's possible.

And on other news, HinesWardJr's pal Emmanuel Sanders is looking great so far in camp.

"He's ahead of where Michael was as a route-runner," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who called Wallace the best rookie receiver he has had in 12 years.

Good read on him: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077856-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Mr. Goosemahn
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Apparently Dixon has been having a good camp.

http://pit.scout.com/2/989188.html

Hines
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM
If it were to be lowered, I think it'll be at least 2. It should be 0, but 2 is fair enough.

K Train
08-05-2010, 03:48 PM
turns out they are saying 4 minimum again

Mr. Goosemahn
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Gluck out there today, Hines! Hope you get good seats and bring back a lot of good info! :)

Hines
08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
You know I will not let you guys down. I'll have pictures and everything up by at least Sunday if not Monday when I get back to AZ.

skarocksoi
08-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Alright, I've been away for a while, but now I'm back. Just relocated to VA so please keep up all the good info. I'm liking what I'm hearing about all the rookies. Hope most of them make the team.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
From another website, notes from today's night practice. No goalline drill, but there was Backs on Backers.

Steelers morning session is just a special teams session today.
LaMarr Woodley was on the ESPN Scott Van Pelt Show on Wednesday and you can listen here.
No pads right now, still stretching.
WDVE-FM will broadcast live from the stadium from 3 - 7 p.m., and Sirius NFL Radio will broadcast live from 7 - 10 p.m
Being told no live goalline drill tonight as tonight will be backs on backers.
Dick LeBeau not present tonight, already in Canton.
@OFTOT Reports Rookie Jason Worilds is in pads tonight, but Troy Polamalu is not.
Special teams FG practice right now.
Jeff Reed just nailed a 58-60 yard field goal.
@psamp reports Tony Hills (stinger) is in pads tonight!
Sources: Troy Polamalu sitting out tonight via coaches decision.
No sign of Jonathan Scott thus far. He suffered a concision on Thursday.
@ninjaskrzypek reports no Frank Summers but Jonathan Dwyer is working tonight.
Antonio Brown slips but recovers to make a solid run of the mill grab. Sanders and Brown both look fast.
Casey Hampton limited tonight.
Aaron Smith personally tutoring Ziggy Hood while defensive line goes through drills.
Offense and defense have broken up. Each position doing standard drills.
Backs on backers going on at one end with Tomlin presiding.
James Harrison just punished someone in Backs on backers.
Renauld Williams with a massive hit.
Isaac Redman gives Patrick Bailey a run for his money but Bailey won out.
Tomlin made Thaddeus Gibson vs Dwyer go 4 times.
Trai Essex starting at right guard.
Byron Leftwich running the offense first.
Ben Roethlisberger completes one to Arnaz Battle on the sideline.
Ill advised pass by dennis Dixon should of been picked by Ryan Clark.
James Farrior looks trimmer.
Dwyer nice run up the gut.
Lots of power offensive line stunts.
Dixon reportedly not good in that segment per Sirius radio.
Joe Burnett bobbles a punt.
TD left to Mike Wallace first play from Leftwich.
Roethlisberger TD to Battle.
Dixon picked on bobble TD pass picked by Gibson.
Foote misses another Dixon ill advised pass.
Sepulveda taking LOTS of kickoff reps. Actually getting it in the endzone.
Chris Kemoeatu locks up Sunny Harris in one on one drill.
Ziggy Hood gets over on Flozell Adams
Brett Keisel & Kemo trade wins. Nice battle.
Guard Dorian Brooks suffers ankle ding.
Rashard Mendenhall nice TD catch from Roethlisberger.
Tight end David Johnson FOUGHT for a nice TD from Roethlisberger in front of linebacker Patrick Bailey.
Correction, Sunny Harris dinged not Brooks.
Pouncey & Hood have a pair of good battles in line drills, Legursky owns Hoke twice.
Dixon responds with a great TD pass to Antwaan Randle El.
Practice over.

Hines
08-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Just got back from camp. Got 2 autographs, Logan and Dwyer. I was 5 inches from Mean Joe, but he was being mean. Almost got Arnez Battle.

Anyways, Thad Gibson is a beast. Looks so fluid out there and can drop into coverage. Got a pick tonight after the ball bounced off of McHugh's hands.

Tony Hills got beat BAD by Doug Worthington numerous times. Worthington could have a legit shot at winning a roster spot.

Hood and Pouncey had two very nice duels.

Legursky and Hoke had two nice duels as well.

Adams and Smith is a great battle to watch.

Emmanuel Sanders should win the number 3 job. Kid catches everything. I still think Tyler Grisham could turn out to be something good as well. Kid is quicky fast and is tough.

Leftwich seems to be getting more comfortable. I think we'll be fine with him at the helm.

Big Ben looks a lot better. He's a lot trimmer and has been throwing darts ou there.

Dixon has been improving.

Mendenhall is the sexy beast that we saw last year. MeMo busted some explosiveness at times as well. Dwyer looked good coming back.

Keenan Lewis will win the number 3 job. Nuff said.

Reed hit a 60 yarder tonight. Sep seems to be booming the ball at kickoffs. I hope he's our kick off specialist.

Oh, and I'm not washing my right hand ever again.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Some updates:

- Today was the goal-line drill, and believe it or not, the offense won 4-3.

- We waived S Tuff Harris (Waived/Injured) and resigned S Damon Cromartie-Smith.

- Apparently many people in the organization aren't happy with the running game and players we have right now, and it is widely believed that we'll resign Willie Parker if he becomes available.

- Worilds, Sunny Harris, and Jonathan Scott were the only guys who didn't practice today.

- Redman was a force in the goal-line drills, and it seems that he's all but locked himself in as our short-yardage back for the season. He got 2 first downs in the first down drill as well as a score in the goal line drill.

- Wallace also didn't practice, but he was excused because of the birth of his first child.

- Mike Tomlin on Redman after his great performance: "He has a low center of gravity, doesn't fumble, and has nice leg drive. His patience and vision have also improved. He's looking good."

- Jonathan Dwyer scored on his first try in the goal line drill, but failed in this last two attempts. 1 for 3 overall.

- David Johnson is a monster at blocking. Quoting a source, he's a "nasty, devastating, and intimidating blocker." The only problem is he's got Ike Taylor-like hands and constantly drops passes. It'll be interesting to see if the team keeps him based on his excellent blocking.

- Mendenhall was fully participating in practice today, but was given no carries in the goal-line drill, which many take it as a sign that Redman has indeed already won that role.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Good read on today's drills.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Offense-wins-goal-line-4-3/a95c886b-df21-44c2-b011-812969c8224b

K Train
08-09-2010, 07:42 AM
lol preseason sensation issac redman.....its that time of year

mikehop05
08-09-2010, 01:49 PM
idk if you guys read his blogs but craig wolfery provides some good insight in his blogs:

http://www.craigwolfley.com/blog/2010/08/rating-the-rooks--thus-far--br--steelers-training-camp-blog---2010-

DeathbyStat
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Some updates:

- Today was the goal-line drill, and believe it or not, the offense won 4-3.

- We waived S Tuff Harris (Waived/Injured) and resigned S Damon Cromartie-Smith.

- Apparently many people in the organization aren't happy with the running game and players we have right now, and it is widely believed that we'll resign Willie Parker if he becomes available.

- Worilds, Sunny Harris, and Jonathan Scott were the only guys who didn't practice today.

- Redman was a force in the goal-line drills, and it seems that he's all but locked himself in as our short-yardage back for the season. He got 2 first downs in the first down drill as well as a score in the goal line drill.

- Wallace also didn't practice, but he was excused because of the birth of his first child.

- Mike Tomlin on Redman after his great performance: "He has a low center of gravity, doesn't fumble, and has nice leg drive. His patience and vision have also improved. He's looking good."

- Jonathan Dwyer scored on his first try in the goal line drill, but failed in this last two attempts. 1 for 3 overall.

- David Johnson is a monster at blocking. Quoting a source, he's a "nasty, devastating, and intimidating blocker." The only problem is he's got Ike Taylor-like hands and constantly drops passes. It'll be interesting to see if the team keeps him based on his excellent blocking.

- Mendenhall was fully participating in practice today, but was given no carries in the goal-line drill, which many take it as a sign that Redman has indeed already won that role.

Willie Parker! To me the oline is problem not the running backs

Jakey
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
- Steelers morning session was 2 hours long.
- Quarterback Byron Leftwich did not throw at all.
- Ben Roethlisberger took the 1st team reps, while Dennis Dixon ran the 2nd team.
- Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, James Farrior & Aaron Smith all had the veterans morning off.
- Flozell Adams also sat out.
- Jonathan Scott (concussion), Jason Worilds (hamstring), Sunny Harris (left ankle) also did not practice.
- Jason Worilds continues to sit afternoon session.
- Frank Summers back working Monday after missing several days with a concussion.
- Casey Hampton back working some today as well.
- Jason Worilds now being reported as working limited now.
- Defensive lineman Steve McClendon has been carted off with undisclosed injury.
- Antonio Brown nice sliding catch from Dennis Dixon.
- Jonathan Scott (concussion) remains out of contact in the afternoon session. James Harrison sitting out as well.
-Summers & Worilds dressed but not scrimmaging.
- Maurkice Pouncey working as 2nd team center with Doug Legursky at right guard and Ramon Foster at right tackle.
- Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau back at practice.
- Ziggy Hood still impressing at left defensive end spot beating everyone.
- Hampton back sitting.
- Redman spotted at fullback.
- Rookie Doug Worthington gets past Tony Hills in one-on-one drills.
- Keenan Lewis working second team left corner.
- Joe Burnett working second team right corner.
- William *** relegated to full time nickel duties.
- Two tight end, two wide receiver,one back sets.
- Farrior still making calls in the middle at inside linebacker.
- Byron Leftwich resting arm today it seems.
- Tomlin said James Harrison has minor shoulder discomfort, Tony Hills has an ankle sprain & Steve McLendon a MCL sprain.

bce
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
It's going to be great to see the first pre-season game. Pouncey vs. Suh. Great way to start measuring his ability.

child please

K Train
08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
heard they are working pouncey with the first team LG alot of the time and second team C and RG....they are preparing him to play all 3 spots lol

i also heard hood simply crushed every lineman on one on ones again yesterday and gibson is tearing **** up off the edge with both speed and bull rush

Mr. Goosemahn
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
heard they are working pouncey with the first team LG alot of the time and second team C and RG....they are preparing him to play all 3 spots lol

i also heard hood simply crushed every lineman on one on ones again yesterday and gibson is tearing **** up off the edge with both speed and bull rush

Can't wait to see Ziggy playing for us.

Also, I read today that Jonathan Dwyer will have a "featured role" in Saturday's game to see what he can do, given the limited amount of practice he's had.

K Train
08-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Tuesday’s practice was conducted under the most brutal conditions so far this summer, with the on-field heat index reaching 103-degrees. Tomlin, dressed all in black as usual, loved it.

“We have some 1 p.m. kickoffs in September that will be challenging – in Nashville and Tampa – so we needed days like this to help with our preparation,” said Tomlin.

Tomlin has said he wears all black on hot days to communicate to his players that he doesn’t care about the weather, and he put that into words for the media after the session concluded.

“We go about our business,” said Tomlin when asked about any special concessions to the heat. “These guys are professionals and we urge them to take professional type steps in terms of pre-hydrating and taking advantage of the hydration opportunities we provide them during the course of our work. We don’t run an operation that creates water scarcity. There’s always water and Gatorade and refreshment around, and what we don’t want to do is miss a snap. We come out here to do our business, and we expect those guys to prepare themselves on the front end, during, and then make the necessary adjustments to prepare themselves after.”

The competitive team period of the afternoon was another session of the two-minute drill. The situation was this: 1:26 on the clock, ball on the offense’s 48-yard line, one timeout, and the offense needed to score a touchdown.

Byron Leftwich was the quarterback with the first-team offense, and Dennis Dixon got the shot with the second unit, but neither was successful.

Leftwich was 2-for-7 for 22 yards, and he had a third-and-10 pass dropped by Antwaan Randle El. Dixon had marginally better statistics – 4-of-11 for 42 yards – but he wasn’t able to get his team into the end zone either. The final play of Dixon’s set was an untimed down, because Thaddeus Gibson jumped offside on the previous play. On a third-and-5 from the 7-yard line, Dixon escaped the pass rush and seemed to have a chance to run into the end zone, but he tried to get the ball to Tyler Grisham instead and Patrick Bailey broke it up.

“He thought there was a strong possibility that he could have (run it into the end zone,” said Tomlin. “We’ll look at it on video. Of course in that situation when it is the last play of the game you better be sure you can get it into the end zone.”

About the play of Leftwich and Dixon in the drill, Tomlin said, “It’s more about the quarterbacks. It’s about people working together. We have some young receivers who are stepping up and trying to put themselves in the mix. There’s also the pass protection, from a blitz pickup standpoint. That drill challenges everyone, not just the quarterbacks.”

INJURY REPORT: Said Tomlin, “Joe Burnett is a new injury. It’s something that’s rib-related, whether it’s muscular or cartilage, we’ll get some additional information there. Jason Worilds continues to march his way back from his hamstring. He was able to participate in the majority of the practice. It deteriorated on him in the last two periods of the practice, and hopefully he’ll do better tomorrow. James Harrison still has a little shoulder discomfort. We expect him back tomorrow, but we’ll see.”

GOAL-LINE DRILL UPDATE: When it was originally scored, the offense won, 4-3, but the defense complained that a touchdown awarded to Dwayne Wright was not a touchdown, and Tomlin has agreed. “There has been an official reversal,” said Tomlin. “No. 38, Dwayne Wright was not in the end zone, so it nullifies the whole sequence, so I get what I want and maybe we get to do it again. (Conditioning coordinator) Garrett Giemont, who called that play a touchdown, is suspect at this juncture. He got swayed by Ben Roethlisberger. It’s on video. It’s evident that Ben whispered in his ear, and he signaled touchdown.”

K Train
08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Cornerback Anthony Madison, who remains a stalwart on special teams, intercepted Ben Roethlisberger during 7-on-7 team drills. LB Lawrence Timmons demolished RB Isaac Redman during blocking drills. QB Byron Leftwich, who resumed his No. 1 status after sitting out Monday, underthrew WR Mike Wallace on a long pass attempt.

2 for 7 and 22 yards tuesday after his rest monday.

Hines
08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Woodley is too damn funny:

http://www.maxim.com/video/painful/94258/maxims-nfl-intern.html

K Train
08-13-2010, 07:23 AM
sanders had a tough day

http://m.triblive.com/triblive/pm_18303/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=7985D8B46CD638C9F94EF 01914D67636?contentguid=yyzCJzvL

By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 13, 2010

Rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders had his worst practice of training camp Thursday and coach Scottie Montgomery let him and the other rookie receivers in camp know about it.

Montgomery gathered Sanders, Antonio Brown, Isaiah Williams and Brandon London after practice to give them a piece of his mind.

″He was giving it to me a little bit today,″ Sanders said.

Sanders had a good excuse for his poor play.

He suffered a stinger in his neck a few days back and thought he was fine until he tried to catch a pass over CB Keenan Lewis during practice, which aggravated it and made it difficult for him to run.

″Today was rock bottom for me,″ Sanders said.

Sanders said that he will play Saturday against the Detroit Lions.

� The team went through three sessions of hurry-up drills with two resulting in touchdowns.

With the ball set at the 29-yard line and less than 30 seconds on the clock, the offense needed to score a touchdown with only one timeout at its disposal.

K Train
08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
im saying gibson has 3 sacks against the lions after they unleash the beast in the second half

Jakey
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I think he plays allot, Woodley appears to be abit sore (missed some time the other day), Patrick Bailey doesnt really warant that much playing time and Worilds is still injured. I think Gibson plays most of the game...gets 2 sacks, 5 tackles, 1 forced fumble ;)

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Jonathan Dwyer, Thaddeus Gibson, and the rookie WR will get extensive playing time today, according to Tomlin.

Hines
08-14-2010, 10:57 AM
As they should. I'm going to try to find a link to watch the game online. The only times it's on the NFLN is at 7AM and 4AM.

Jakey
08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I'll post some links later bro! Living in the UK is a ***** sometimes!

terribletowel39
08-14-2010, 06:22 PM
holy pie balls!!! i am excited. lets go!!! hurry up eight minutes!!!

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
anyone find a good stream?

Steelersfan4life
08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
the one on atdhe.net has a good one.

Hines
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Flo just got abused.

Hines
08-14-2010, 06:50 PM
LOL at the fans cheering We Want Ben.

Steelersfan4life
08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Mendy appears to still have the dropsies.

Steelersfan4life
08-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Clark with the INT! Nice snag.

Hines
08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice Clark pick.

BRAVEHEART
08-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Lions defense looking sexy.

Steelersfan4life
08-14-2010, 06:59 PM
And the steelers oline looks horrible. 1st preseason game, I guess it won't look good.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Both tackles are getting raped.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:02 PM
That was a bad "juke" by Mendenhall.

FG's still solid. Kickoffs still short.

BRAVEHEART
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
wtf, damn stream.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Very nice play by Keenan, almost an INT, beat CJ for the position, and then canceled what almost was a catch for Johnson.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
wtf, damn stream.

http://atdhe.net/22530/watch-detroit-lions-vs-pittsburgh-steelers

Got to get Vshare, but it's great quality.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Another good CB play, Burnett not backing down from the physical disadvantage he's got. Good stuff.

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice push, CJ.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Boo. Well, I guess third time's the charm.

BRAVEHEART
08-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice push, CJ.

It was, Megatron looked at the ref and dared him to throw that flag.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh wow, terrible return.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Pouncey at center, and lo and behold, good run by Redman.

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Just a heads up, the game will be played on NFLN at 7AM Western Time tomorrow morning. So you East Coast people, that's 10 AM.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Another good run behind Pouncey, but a fumble? Man, we're fumbling way too much.

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:24 PM
He looked down, though. It was tough to say.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
**** Trai Essex.

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
That's a ******* flag. Wow.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Redman is a bad mother******. Power running at its best.

Hines
Issac Redman is a ******* monster this game!

BRAVEHEART
Pouncey looking good for you guys.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
And Pouncey sticking with him during the entire run. Great stuff by Pouncey.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Wha...what's this?!?

Reed getting a touchback?!?!

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Pouncey should be the starting center.

Steelersfan4life
08-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Ahh... Redman and the power running game. A thing of beauty.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Nice fake by Dixon, nice play by Battle, and was that a J. Dwyer sighting?

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
MeMo with a vicious block.

Damn DD, nice ****.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Redzoooone!

Hines
08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I love the hurricane there. God, I wished I was there right now.

Jakey
08-14-2010, 08:29 PM
What ive taken from this game so far...

- Pouncey > All
- Starks looks rusty
- Mendy running well, but needs to hold on better
- Preseason Redman looking awesome again (avrage blocking though)
- Trai Essex sucks donkey schlong
- Foster looks abit lost at RT
- WR's looking ok so far
- Lefty has poor awareness
- Dixon look pretty good
- Bruce Arians is still mentally challenged
- Aaron Smith looks healthy
- The starting corners look average
- Keenan Lewis looks better than the starters
- Will Allen looks just like Shea, even wearing the same number
- Woodley looks angry, but abit overweight
- Harrison bull-rushing people out of thier shoes
- Timmons made some nice plays against the run
- Hood getting a nice push
- Eason looks allot weaker since his offseason illness
- Bailey sucks at ROLB
- Gibson looks natural at LOLB
- Fox looking solid again

Jakey
08-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Game started again yet?

Hines
08-14-2010, 09:01 PM
It's starting up again in a few minutes.

Jakey
08-14-2010, 09:03 PM
AWESOMEEE, im hoping to see a few plays from Sanders, Gibson and Crezdon Butler in the 2nd half!

Jakey
08-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Justin Thornton, rookie safety out of Kansas, just knocked someones head off.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Nice catch by Sanders.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-14-2010, 09:26 PM
WTF is up with the fumbles? Keep holding the ball even if you think the play is over...

Hines
08-14-2010, 09:28 PM
DD is a bad, bad man tonight. God I wished he was the starter.