PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11 Big East Thread

scottyboy
07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Let's go boys and girls, there are plenty of us Big East fans here, so let's get some discussions going! I'm pumped for this season, and believe Rutgers actually has a shot at taking the BE crown this year (although next year is probably more likely, as we're an extremely young team). Savage to Sanu will make you all cry. But let's get some real discussions going, let's talk pre-season all big east teams, ask questions (and answer them) about other BE teams. This year, I don't know much about the other Big East teams, I'll be honest, except I know Tom Savage is probably the best (and he is the most experienced QB) in the league and that I'm terrified of Dion Lewis...

thenewfeature06
07-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Dion Lewis is gonna stud it up and other than the ACC I will watch some big east football. Be prepared for that North Carolina game Scotty you might be turning the tv off a little early.

:D

scottyboy
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Dion Lewis is gonna stud it up and other than the ACC I will watch some big east football. Be prepared for that North Carolina game Scotty you might be turning the tv off a little early.

:D

oh, it will be you turning off your TV!
you bet your ass I'll be there! season tickets baby! Oh god, I'm pumped for that game, a little scared it's so early in the season, but oh well. YOU'RE GOING DOWN!

thenewfeature06
07-26-2010, 09:39 AM
oh, it will be you turning off your TV!
you bet your ass I'll be there! season tickets baby! Oh god, I'm pumped for that game, a little scared it's so early in the season, but oh well. YOU'RE GOING DOWN!

Ha! Id be so pissed especially if we beat LSU and then lose to you bums. Na but honestly you guys as a football team are usually very disciplined and can usually play stout defense so I mean if we win by 3 idc I just want a win. Who on Rutgers can handle the legend of Greg Little?!

scottyboy
07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Ha! Id be so pissed especially if we beat LSU and then lose to you bums. Na but honestly you guys as a football team are usually very disciplined and can usually play stout defense so I mean if we win by 3 idc I just want a win. Who on Rutgers can handle the legend of Greg Little?!

on D I think we should be fine. Little's very good haha, but I think our young talent might be able to handle him. we're just such a young team, but I trust in Greg defensively. I'm just VERY worried with a brand new OL against that UNC D...turnovers could kill us. If we get flustered, and Savage becomes a sitting duck back there, we've got 0 chance. But again, we've been one of the best teams in turnover differential, so we'll see what happens. It should be a good game

RealityCheck
07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't think Savage, Sanu and Martinek can handle our D. However, it's gonna be a hell of a game.

While it's the Big East thread, keep an eye on USF RSSo. kicker Maikon Bonani. He's my man.

scottyboy
07-27-2010, 07:30 AM
i love how this turned into the RU-UNC game thread haha.

i'm not worried one big about our studs and skill position players, I'm worried 100% by our OL. that's what scares me the most. Savage with time, and Sanu will be fine. time is the biggie here, time for Martinek to find holes, how quickly Williams can get outside and time for Savage to throw.

thenewfeature06
07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
i love how this turned into the RU-UNC game thread haha.

i'm not worried one big about our studs and skill position players, I'm worried 100% by our OL. that's what scares me the most. Savage with time, and Sanu will be fine. time is the biggie here, time for Martinek to find holes, how quickly Williams can get outside and time for Savage to throw.

Lol what do you expect me and RC represent as best as we can! O yeah and nobody watches the Big East in football...

Our line is still questionable too but seems like it will be ok from what I have been hearing.. Is Martinek that white RB who bulldozes people?

On another note Pittsburgh is the front runner for the title there and if I have a dark horse it is probably USF?

scottyboy
07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
i wouldn't exactly say bulldozes, but yea, he's our white back. I want him to go pro so Rutgers is the only school to ever produce 2 white RB's. We've gone some young speedsters, mainly De'antawn "the rocket" Williams, who I LOVE.

and yea, I'd have to say Pit is the front runner right now, but to be honest, I'd say Rutgers is more a darkhorse than USF. I don't know much about them, but we embarassed them last year and I was not impressed at all really.

tjsunstein
07-27-2010, 09:17 AM
http://www.mrisports.com/images/Helmets/WestVirginiaHelmet.JPG

phlysac
07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Who are some of the players you expect to break-out for your respective team?

For Pittsburgh, I predict...

QB - Tino Sunseri
RB - Ray Graham
WR - Devin Street
OG - Chris Jacobson
LB - Dan Mason
CB - Antwuan Reed
S - Jarred Holley

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Collaros and B.J. Daniels are the 2 other young very good QB's in the conference.

phlysac
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Collaros and B.J. Daniels are the 2 other young very good QB's in the conference.

And most national media predict they are the #1 and #2 QBs respectively. I expect Savage and Sunseri to shine.

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
And most national media predict they are the #1 and #2 QBs respectively. I expect Savage and Sunseri to shine.

Savage and Daniels put up very similar passing numbers except Daniels can run so he beat him in that department. I'm biased but I really do think Savage is the best and will be the best pro prospect by far.

JRTPlaya21
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Can't wait to watch guys like Baldwin, Lewis & Savage.

tjsunstein
07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Tavon Austin for WVU.

703SKINS202
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Pitt is definitely the team to beat. I think they have the best shot to win the conference with Cinci and WVU right behind them. I like Rutgers but I agree they are probably a year away, they can still play a major role as a potential spoiler.

Guys I like to break out for WVU, Pat Miller, CB, Bradley Starks, WR, Julian Miller, DE, Tavon Austin, RB.

Todd Bertuzzi
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Who's ranked number 1 again?

:D:D:D

RealityCheck
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
The best kicker in the world will lead USF to the Big East title.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NA9uQSQYiSQ/SvAyI05pIjI/AAAAAAAAC3s/dwSftgJEw4c/s320/Maikon+Bonani+2.jpg

<3

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/article810933.ece
Hell of a story.

703SKINS202
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Kwilk did you see IMAC is going to be wearing #5? I kind of wish they retired his number since he was probably the greatest WVU player ever but I think it would be cool if they kinda made that the famous number for special players now. Hopefully he can do the number proud like Pat did.

kwilk103
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Kwilk did you see IMAC is going to be wearing #5? I kind of wish they retired his number since he was probably the greatest WVU player ever but I think it would be cool if they kinda made that the famous number for special players now. Hopefully he can do the number proud like Pat did.

me to, but i think they are gonna be using it as a special number from now on

loved jojck and jt thomas' comments at media day; great to have our swag back

and wvu should be favored over pitt; we return 18 starters (10 on defense)

Hines
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
<333333 Jon Baldwin

phlysac
08-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Alot of info regarding Pitt, from Dave Wannstedt's Training Camp opening press-conference...

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080610aab.html

Giantsfan1080
08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Do you Pitt fans really feel confident that you're going to roll through the Big East this year? I think you were a unanimous vote by the coaches to win the Big East but while you're good I can see you stumbling. The BE is always up for grabs so I think it'll be interesting this year.

Todd Bertuzzi
08-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Who's gonna start at QB for Pitt?

Giantsfan1080
08-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Part of my point that they're not just going to run roughshod over the whole conference.

Hines
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Sunseri will start at QB.

phlysac
08-07-2010, 03:47 PM

RS Sophomore Tino Sunseri. He, by nearly all reports, outplayed Bill Stull last Spring and Wannstedt only started Stull because of his Sr. experience.

Do you Pitt fans really feel confident that you're going to roll through the Big East this year? I think you were a unanimous vote by the coaches to win the Big East but while you're good I can see you stumbling. The BE is always up for grabs so I think it'll be interesting this year.

I'll never be the guy that thinks any team can simply roll to a conference title. Pitt did receive all but 2 votes (1 Cincinnati and 1 West Virginia) but pre-season polls mean absolutely NOTHING.

Pitt's success will largely depend on a couple of things.

1. Tino Sunseri's big-play ability.
I'm confident he can "manage the game" but in order to achieve top-notch success he will have to make plays on his own at times. Will he? That will be seen, but he has the talent to do so.

2. Interior O-Line.
Big question mark at Center as Alex Karabin is a 5th year Senior without a career start. Jack Lippert is the heir-apparent at the position but he is only a RS Frosh who is a converted 4-Star DE.

3. Depth in the Secondary.
Pitt lost both starting CB's (Aaron Berry, Jovani Chappell) to graduation and an impressive SS (Elijah Fields) dismissed from the team. Antwaun Reed looks stellar as a CB but question marks surround the youth that will play along with him.

4. Was OC's Frank Cignetti's play-calling a fluke?
Cignetti was masterful last season in his first stint as Pitt's OC. He found gems in previously unknowns Dion Lewis and Dorin Dickerson. Is it a sign of things to come, or will he have a "sophomore slump?"

5. The "Wannstedt Factor"
Coach Dave Wannstedt has a history of getting very conservative at times. In my opinion, it was this conservative nature that cost Pitt in all of its losses last season. If he keeps his meddling in the offense limited, I see more success.

Overall, in my opinion, Pitt is the "paper champion" entering the season. They need to prove it on the field. Their running game (RB's Dion Lewis and Ray Graham, OL Jason Pinkston, Lucas Nix, Chris Jacobson and Greg Gaskins) should accumulate yards easily. The WR's (Baldwin, Mike Shanahan, Devin Street) should be able to make plays. The defensive front-7 may be one of the best in the entire country and I forsee alot of difficulty for opposing offenses.

If they play consistently and limit their mistakes there's little reason they shouldn't be confident entering every game they play this season.

Giantsfan1080
08-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Very good post. I agree that they are definitely favorites right now but as I said I can also see them having some trouble. If you had an experienced QB I probably wouldn't be saying this as it would be very difficult to try and stop Baldwin and Lewis when it came time. You're non-conference games should give us a very good like at what kind of team us fellow Big East fans will be looking at.

phlysac
08-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Very good post. I agree that they are definitely favorites right now but as I said I can also see them having some trouble. If you had an experienced QB I probably wouldn't be saying this as it would be very difficult to try and stop Baldwin and Lewis when it came time. You're non-conference games should give us a very good like at what kind of team us fellow Big East fans will be looking at.

And I can't boast about what the team looks like on paper until they prove to me they can consistently win the games they are supposed to (Bowling Green 2008, NC State/WVU 2009)

phlysac
08-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Pure Sexy...

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8307/sheardandromeus.jpg
Jabaal Sheard and Greg Romeus

Sniper
08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/08/acl-four-peat-ends-wr-erskins-usf-career/

USF WR Colby Erskin tore his ACL for the fourth time in his career and will not play again. It's the third time he tore his left ACL.

Sniper
08-15-2010, 09:33 PM
http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2010/08/tough-blow-de-marcus-campbell.html

University of Connecticut junior defensive end Marcus Campbell (Bloomfield, Conn.) will miss the entire 2010 season after he torn an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in practice on Saturday.

scottyboy
08-15-2010, 09:35 PM
WR Tim Wright's out for season with a knee injury, which blows :(

damn injuries

Giantsfan1080
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I think Harrison was better than him anyway. A lot of our true freshman might be getting some big roles on offense this year also like Deering.

mario
08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
http://cavdaily.webfactional.com/media/photos/2008/09/14/20080913_-_Virginia_at_Connecticut_NCAA_Football-jowA086753.JPG

I'm not a UConn homer, nothing closer but is a pleasure to watch Jordan Todman, my fav RB...and that's saying something when 'Bama has Ingram and Richardson.

Hurricanes25
08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Jordan Todman is so skinny for a RB. He looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Sniper
08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Jordan Todman is so skinny for a RB. He looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Mike Martin is ready to eat him.

Hines
08-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I <33333 Jordan Todman.

Giantsfan1080
08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm really not sure how Sanu didn't make the Biletnekoff watch list this year.

Sniper
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5475260

Connecticut has indefinitely suspended backup quarterback Cody Endres and guard Erik Kuraczea.

The school would only say that Endres, a junior, and Kuraczea, a sophomore, violated school policies.

phlysac
08-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Pitt's defense has reportedly destroyed their offense in both full scrimmages held recently.

Perhaps this is indicative of the dominance of the defense or the ineptitude of the offense. Pehaps it's a bit of both.

scottyboy
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Pitt's defense has reportedly destroyed their offense in both full scrimmages held recently.

Perhaps this is indicative of the dominance of the defense or the ineptitude of the offense. Pehaps it's a bit of both.

pretty much the same exact thing for Rutgers haha.

but you guys do have Lewis, who's my rival mancrush.

we've got Sanu and Savage though! <3

phlysac
08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
pretty much the same exact thing for Rutgers haha.

but you guys do have Lewis, who's my rival mancrush.

we've got Sanu and Savage though! <3

Supposedly OC Frank Cignetti has been using all 1-back 3-WR sets to see how the team performs from those formations. They are a 2-back team and the performances in scrimmages seem to validate that.

Sniper
08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/19/shoulder-injury-kos-cuse-db-for-the-season/

Cornerback Ri'Shard Anderson suffered an injury to his shoulder during practice Wednesday and will miss the entire 2010 season. Surgery will be performed at an unspecified date to repair the damage.

Giantsfan1080
08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Did anyone see that poll in ESPN magazine? The players were polled and the they picked Greg Schiano as the coach they'd least like to play for in the conference. I was pretty floored about that considering I've never really heard one player say anything bad about Schiano. I wonder what players they were polling.

Sniper
08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Did anyone see that poll in ESPN magazine? The players were polled and the they picked Greg Schiano as the coach they'd least like to play for in the conference. I was pretty floored about that considering I've never really heard one player say anything bad about Schiano. I wonder what players they were polling.

I wish players would sack up and go on record with that stuff. It'd be much cooler. However, it's still cool to read about it.

Giantsfan1080
08-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah I agree. I'm really shocked about it. What's the perspective of Schiano from non Rutgers fans?

Hurricanes25
08-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Can that poll hurt recruiting?

phlysac
08-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah I agree. I'm really shocked about it. What's the perspective of Schiano from non Rutgers fans?

My only thought is that he's tough and is building an exceptional program.

phlysac
08-22-2010, 12:47 PM
It will be interesting to see how Greg Romeus participates in the full week of practice prior to the Utah game. As of now, Romeus has only practiced in full pads once (a two-a-day) and has been held out of contact because of back stiffness and spasms.

Hopefully it is just precautionary but that is yet to be seen.

phlysac
08-25-2010, 09:52 PM
It's looking like Pitt will Redshirt all but 2 or 3 Freshmen this season.

Pitt Football: Only one freshman on 2-deep

Wednesday, August 25, 2010
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Nearly all Pitt freshmen will redshirt this season to save a year's eligibility, but that does not mean there will not be a few who make an impact.

"I would expect we will have two, maybe three freshmen play this year," Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said.

The biggest reason is that 20 of the Panthers' 22 projected starters are in at least their third season at Pitt, and one of the two who is not -- sophomore tailback Dion Lewis -- is a Heisman Trophy candidate who rushed for nearly 1,800 yards last season.

The Panthers also have plenty of depth at many positions, which means there is little opportunity for a true freshman to get playing time.

If the number is two -- and, as of now, only cornerback K'Wuan Williams seems like a definite contributor -- it would be the fewest for a Wannstedt-coached Pitt team. Generally speaking, about four freshmen have played each season for Wannstedt. Williams, who has come out of nowhere to become one of the Panthers' top corners, likely will have freshman company on the two-deep depth chart by the time the season gets rolling because injuries can change team needs.

Williams was not recruited highly -- only Pitt offered him a scholarship -- because of his lack of height, but he has grown two inches since signing day and now stands 5 feet 10, a good height for a corner.

Beyond that, he was one of the most consistent players at preseason camp, regardless of class. He also has earned a spot on all special teams and might, in a pinch, return kicks.

"He'll be like a fourth or fifth corner," said Wannstedt, who also said two other possibilities to play are defensive tackle Aaron Donald and defensive end T.J. Clemmings.

While both seem ready to play, they line up at positions that are deeply stocked by veterans.

That means coaches would have to commit to using them enough to justify burning their redshirts, and that can be tricky.

Of the two, what to do with Donald, a Penn Hills High School graduate, shapes up as a tougher decision.

He has been dominant throughout preseason practices in nearly every situation against nearly anybody who lined up against him.

But Wannstedt is hesitant to commit to Donald because the Panthers have three veteran defensive tackles ready to play and a couple others who have played well enough to show they can be productive.

"Donald is a possibility, Clemmings is a possibility," Wannstedt said. "[Donald] is a playmaker, he is kind of a mini-Mick [Williams, who starred at defensive tackle last season]. We'll see, but [once a freshman plays] there is no turning back. You don't want to waste a year because, once you play a kid, now you are trying to force him into the lineup.

"That decision [on Donald] has not been made yet; he's getting reps, he is getting prepared to play, we'll see how it plays out."

One freshman who seemed to be a candidate to play this year before training camp is receiver Todd Thomas, but he has not progressed as fast as coaches had hoped and also plays a well-manned position.

Wannstedt said Thomas, from Beaver Falls, is not likely to play this year, but, as he has told all freshmen, he needs to be ready because that could change at any time.

"I don't think so because of the depth at receiver, and [he has] a little more learning [to do]," Wannstedt said. "But I've told our players -- so much they are probably sick of hearing me say this -- but I remember the story of Steve Slaton, [during his freshman year at West Virginia].

"He was the fourth-team running back in training camp and, by the end of the season, he was a Heisman Trophy candidate for the next year.

"Things do happen and things change."

One other freshman who seemed likely to play this year is defensive end Bryan Murphy, but he has a broken foot and is expected to be redshirted.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10237/1082404-233.stm

NGSeiler
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm fine with Ivan wearing #5, though I'm not a huge fan of teams retiring numbers in general so that might be why. I prefer the Ring of Honor idea better, where those numbers are still available but the player is still honored in some way.

It goes without saying, but I'm really looking forward to this season and what this team can accomplish. WVU is returning a lot of quality players, and I think Geno has the make-up of a good quarterback. This is probably the most excited I've been in quite a while about the receivers.

Defensively, I can't wait to see Sands flying around making plays in the secondary and JT causing havoc up front. I feel pretty good about the defensive line, but I feel like every year the pass rush is kind of inconsistent. Hopefully Scooter and Julian Miller are ready for a big year.

tjsunstein
09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
http://thesignalcaller.com/images/Neildspot.jpg

Giantsfan1080
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Rutgers opener tomorrow night!!!!! Can't wait to get home from work and go straight there.

tjsunstein
09-03-2010, 12:52 AM
So Pitt isn't going anywhere without a QB.

Hurricanes25
09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
If Tino Sunseri doesn't get it together soon, the Big East is wide open.

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Well that's why I was questioning Pitt. Everyone handed them the Big East without a QB.

phlysac
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Sunseri is taking WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much blame. Sure, he was far from incredible but to have a LEGIT chance at victory at Utah on opening night isn't anything to frown at.

My biggest complaint, besides the obvious discipline mistakes, was what I call the "Stache Factor". Pitt didn't throw the ball on 1st down until the final 7+ minutes of the game. The play-calling was PAINFULLY predictable and Utah was able to stack the box against a new interior. The offense really started to move the ball once Frank Cignetti was allowed to open it up.

It's terribly unfortunate that Sunseri's final pass determined the outcome but I was quite satisfied with what I had seen from him (when given the opportunity) up to that point.

NGSeiler
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Overall, I was rather pleased with what West Virginia did today. I'll have to go back and rewatch the game, as I was watching from the end zone and didn't have a great view of things. Defense was pretty good; Hogan and Sands stood out. Would like to see more of a pass rush. Offense was hot and cold. I think the OL has some work to do. Geno looked solid for his first start, Devine was Devine but needs to protect the ball a bit better. Hopefully we see a bit more downfield passing as the season progresses. That strike to Will Johnson was a thing of beauty, but I'm not sure I remember another big throw through the air.

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Well the Big East is going to take some hits based on the first week. Very unimpressive all around.

kwilk103
09-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Overall, I was rather pleased with what West Virginia did today. I'll have to go back and rewatch the game, as I was watching from the end zone and didn't have a great view of things. Defense was pretty good; Hogan and Sands stood out. Would like to see more of a pass rush. Offense was hot and cold. I think the OL has some work to do. Geno looked solid for his first start, Devine was Devine but needs to protect the ball a bit better. Hopefully we see a bit more downfield passing as the season progresses. That strike to Will Johnson was a thing of beauty, but I'm not sure I remember another big throw through the air.

i think once mccartney gets playing time geno will go downfield more

he was open once downfield but geno threw it too long; on the next play he was open, but he hit jock for a td

it is nice to have jock, austin, and devine as your checkdowns though

devine is pretty surehanded; not sure what the problem was

RealityCheck
09-05-2010, 08:31 PM
The days pass by and my odds for Rutgers winning the BE grow.

tjsunstein
09-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I do agree Sunseri is taking too much blame but the playcalling does have to do with your personnel. It went to show that the coaching staff wasn't very comfortable with Sunseri going through the air until they desperately needed him to. That's what I got out of it. The pick at the end just solidified that. What an awful throw.

phlysac
09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I do agree Sunseri is taking too much blame but the playcalling does have to do with your personnel. It went to show that the coaching staff wasn't very comfortable with Sunseri going through the air until they desperately needed him to. That's what I got out of it. The pick at the end just solidified that. What an awful throw.

Perhaps a bit, but The Stache has historically been ultra conservative. He did it last year even when Stull was having a tremendous season.

And its not just the playcalling but the creativity of it. It's one thing to only call 2 or 3 different run plays but to only throw the ball once on 1st down in the first 50 minutes of the game (the 1st play of the game) doesn't make sense. Feel free to keep the throws manageable but switch it up a bit.

NGSeiler
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
WVU cornerback Brandon Hogan charged with a DUI...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5568370&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

703SKINS202
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
WVU cornerback Brandon Hogan charged with a DUI...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5568370&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines
AKA hes outta here. Can't say I'm surprised but this is going to be a big loss as he was our best CB and arguably the best in the conference.

scottyboy
09-13-2010, 11:03 PM
I think I speak for all of us when I say: our whole conference kinda looks like ****.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes Scotty. I'm very upset at some of the things we had to endure on Saturday. Rutgers will be terrible if a lot of stuff doesn't change in the next 2 weeks.

NGSeiler
09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
AKA hes outta here. Can't say I'm surprised but this is going to be a big loss as he was our best CB and arguably the best in the conference.

According to Stewart, Hogan will be suspended indefinitely but will rejoin the team "whem I deem fit."

Brodrick Jenkins, Pat Miller and Brantwon Bowser will compete to replace Hogan in the starting line-up at cornerback. Tavon Austin and J.D. Woods look to be the front-runners to replace BH on return duties.

Sniper
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
$ Scout

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=1002503&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frecruiting.scout.com%2f2 %2f1002503.html

Former Michigan DE/Guido Anthony LaLota is transferring to Rutgers.

Giantsfan1080
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
The last 4 star Michigan recruit that transferred from Michigan to Rutgers quit on us. Hopefully Lalota won't do the same. What was the word on him at Michigan Sniper?

Sniper
09-16-2010, 06:25 AM
The last 4 star Michigan recruit that transferred from Michigan to Rutgers quit on us. Hopefully Lalota won't do the same. What was the word on him at Michigan Sniper?

Well, he's supposedly very raw. He couldn't crack the two-deep and was behind a true freshman, a walk-on (although the walk-on tore his ACL in spring practice and is out for the year, so LaLota was obviously behind him before the injury), and a slew of other no-namers. He'd be a good fit in a 3-4, though. Don't expect him to contribute for another year after the transfer.

tjsunstein
09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
I don't think Hogan will be kicked off the team but he will miss some time for sure.

Giantsfan1080
09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I've read OL might be in his future.

tjsunstein
09-16-2010, 08:15 PM
This just may be the worst year of Big East football.

Giantsfan1080
09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah it's really bad TJ. Unless these teams start picking it up we're going to hear more and more talk about the Big East losing their automatic BCS spot.

tjsunstein
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Cincy's O-line is bad. Collaros can't do anything because of it. No run game. Their defense isn't anything special.

WVU - LSU is going to be ugly.

Giantsfan1080
09-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Wait I just noticed this did you just start going to WV?

tjsunstein
09-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Wait I just noticed this did you just start going to WV?
Yeah, this year.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
We really need Hogan back. These blown coverages are really costing us in what has been an otherwise solid game. Those two big plays and a bad play call/throw by Sanders is what's keeping Maryland alive.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 02:36 PM
UCONN goes down to Temple. The Big East is beyond awful.

tjsunstein
09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
UCONN goes down to Temple. The Big East is beyond awful.
Temple has been on the up and up but that's no excuse.

703SKINS202
09-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Wish we had 1 more game before LSU but Geno looks like he has this offense ready. If we have less than two turnovers I like our chances. The Big East really needs this win not just us.

O and if Hogan is allowed to play, I'm not so sure I'll be okay with it.

Giantsfan1080
09-22-2010, 07:14 AM
The Big East plays a lot of quality opponents this week so we can really stack up and see how awful we are.

NGSeiler
09-24-2010, 08:11 PM
...sooooo, how 'bout those Panthers? Eeek.

Giantsfan1080
09-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Everyone is terrible. You guys should run away with the conference.

NGSeiler
09-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Everyone is terrible. You guys should run away with the conference.

Not so sure about that one.

Tough loss tonight for the Mountaineers. Special teams may have been the biggest factor - two missed field goals and a punt return touchdown allowed. That's a 13-point swing right there.

Offensively, Geno didn't look like he was bothered by the road atmosphere, but something about his throws didn't seem quite as accurate and I think it had more to do with the step up in competition. The turnovers were killer - 10 LSU points off of turnovers - and the offense really struggled to move the ball at times. Devine being dinged up certainly didn't help.

Defensively, I thought West Virginia played pretty well. LSU helped them out at times, but I think the breakdowns on defense were more to do with simply being on the field as much as they were. I feel like the pass rush is improved in 2010 and I like the play of the secondary for the most part. It'll be interesting to see what kind of PR backlash Stewart gets from starting Hogan tonight. It's understandable how an outside observer could conclude that it was a decision based on wins and not principle, so we'll see where that goes.

The one biggest positive for tonight, IMO, is that this team hung in there despite trailing 17-0 early in the game. It would have been easy to just throw in the towel and let LSU dominate the night, but West Virginia remained composed and made a game of it, albeit with some help from LSU miscues. I like the fighter's mentality, but poor play on special teams and mistakes on offense were too big to overcome.

NGSeiler
10-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Didn't get to see the Cincinnati/Louisville game last night, but it looked like it was pretty close there for a while. Bilal Powell with a second 200-yard 2-TD game in as many weeks, but it wasn't enough to overcome the Bearcats.

WVU didn't have a whole lot of trouble against South Florida, but I would have liked to see more efficiency out of the offense. Kind of been a problem at times throughout the season; they look unstoppable on one drive then have a couple three-and-outs that make you scratch your head. The development of the passing game with Geno Smith certainly has to have BE teams rethinking how to defend the Mountaineers, though. And that defense looks studly.

Looking forward to today's Pitt/Syracuse game. This is the first chance I'll get to really sit down and watch Syracuse for a whole contest, and it'll be interesting to see if they're somewhat legit or if their record is a mirage from having beaten Akron, Maine, and Colgate. With Pitt's only wins this season coming against New Hampshire and FIU, they have just as much to prove today. Anxious to see who comes out on top.

Todd Bertuzzi
10-23-2010, 02:13 PM
That was a tough one. Syracuse's D played a hell of a game though and they deserved it.

NGSeiler
10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Syracuse's D showed up and had a plan for shutting down the Mountaineer offense, and WVU did not have a response. Geno had arguably the worst game of his short college career. The offensive line did not play well, and this has been a theme for a while now. Can this coaching staff make the necessary adjustments and get them playing to their potential? Remains to be seen.

NGSeiler
10-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Well now that was just awful. I don't really consider myself a "knee jerk" kind of guy, but with back to back losses to Syracuse and UConn, I have to wonder if Bill Stewart is back in 2011.

703SKINS202
10-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Well now that was just awful. I don't really consider myself a "knee jerk" kind of guy, but with back to back losses to Syracuse and UConn, I have to wonder if Bill Stewart is back in 2011.
Let's hope the **** not.

derza222
11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the potential Big East expansion?

703SKINS202
11-03-2010, 06:03 PM
TCU would save the conference, I think it's necessary at this point. Villanova's program has respectively been on the rise as well and they look to be a top candidate along with UCF.

Todd Bertuzzi
11-20-2010, 02:19 PM
What a mess this is. Anyone who wants to take a shot at breaking down all the different scenarios be my guest. Go Huskies!

NGSeiler
11-20-2010, 09:45 PM
It's basically a three-team race between Pitt, WVU, and UConn.

If Pitt wins out, they're BE champs.

If WVU wins out, they need a UConn loss to be BE champs.

If UConn wins out, they need a Pitt loss to be BE champs.

I don't think 'Cuse is completely eliminated, but I think they would have to win out, Pitt and UConn would both have to lose their final two, and WVU would have to lose one more. Kind of slim.

I could be wrong, though.

Forenci
11-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Go UConn. Jordan Todman is just way too awesome. It's too bad the coaching staff is running him into the ground. Although I guess you can't blame them when Zach Frazer is your QB.

NGSeiler
11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
WVU pulls a Dwayne Johnson and lays the smackdown on Pitt in the Backyard Brawl, now let's hope for Cincy or USF to help us out!

NGSeiler
12-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Well, congrats UConn.

Looks like WVU is likely headed to Champs Sports to play NC State.

Brian Bennett, who does the ESPN Big East blog, predicts the rest will fall out like this: USF to Meineke, Pitt to BBVA Compass and Louisville to Beef.

roidrunner
12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
so what does everyone think of the bowl situation???

703SKINS202
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Can't complain really, wish we were playing a more high profile team than NC State but it will be a great game. I hope Devine is fully healthy by then because I would really love to see him bust one one more time.

12-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm thinking the Cuse is gonna have a hard time with K State. I love UConn in the Fiesta Bowl though. For one thing the BE makes a habit of going in and upsetting teams in the BCS. The X Factor is the UConn defense. Kendall Reyes is an absolute stud at DT and can change the momentum of a game in any number of ways. 2 ints...for a DT. Constant penetration and disruption up front. And they're loaded with good young DBs like Junior, Bledi-Wreh and Taylor Mack. Of course you've got Lawrence Wilson and Scott Lutrus too...name brand guys. And that massive offensive line should be able to give Todman and Frey room to run. Picking UConn here...

phlysac
12-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Names being circulated around the "Burgh as possible candidates to replace Wannstedt...

Dana Holgorsen - Offensive Coordinator - Oklahoma State
Tom Bradley - Defensive Coordinator - Penn State
Mike Leach - Former Head Coach - Texas Tech
Al Golden - Head Coach - Temple
Mark Stoops - Defensive Coordinator - Florida State
Teryl Austin - Defensive Coordinator - Florida
Paul Rhoads - Head Coach - Iowa State
Kevin Sumlin - Head Coach - Houston
Bronco Mendenhall - Head Coach - BYU
Todd Graham - Head Coach - Tulsa
Brady Hoke - Head Coach - San Diego State
Paul Chryst - Offensive Coordinator - Wisconsin